Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to the season three finale of Second Take Cinema, coming at you from the Glorious the Swing in the Hip Hoppy in the Rockin' Im Parlor Film's headquarters in sunny South End on Sea. I'm your host, Jamie Evans, joined as always by Rory Jocelyn June. This is Jazz and because it's the season finale, we are bringing you a double feature episode. That's right, double bill baby, as we talk about two different music based movies made by very popular artists of their respective errors. Today we are giving a second take to nineteen eighty eight's Moonwalker and nineteen ninety seven's Spice World the movie. So starting with Moonwalker, this is a nineteen eighty eight American experimental anthology musical film. Now, I just want to put something in quickly because I've never ever seen this before. As you know, every time we cover a new film, I start by reading a little summary off of Wikipedia, the most you know, great source of information on the Internet, very reliable. It's not like anyone can just edit it. And I've never seen this before. It says verbatim. Moonwalker is a nineteen eighty eight American experimental, open brackets, dubious, discuss, close brackets, anthology, musical film. I mean, and that sums this film up, doesn't it. I think? Is it experimental genius and it's going over all of our heads? Or is it just insane discuss? That's what we're going to do in a minute, rather than featuring one continuous narrative. This film is a collection of short films, many of which are long form music videos from Michael Jackson's nineteen eighty seven album Bad And of course the film is named after The Moonwalk. It was directed by Jerry Crane, Colin Chilvers, and Jim Blashfield. The screenplay for Smooth Criminal was David Newman, based on a story by Michael Jackson himself. The film was made for a budget of twenty two million dollars and grossed sixty seven million dollars. It is worth noticing, however, that the film ended up not getting a theatrical release in America, because when I read that figure, sixty seven million dollars, I thought, no, no, that should be higher, like Michael Jackson, even if the film's bad, Michael Jackson Bad, Yes, Michael Jackson in eight like this should have made one hundred million at yeast, but it turns out it basically didn't get Warner Brothers pulled the American theatrical release. It was planned for a Christmas release.
Speaker 2: Right, but they which would have fit to be fair with some of the themes in it.
Speaker 1: Yes, And it's funny that that's what they do with musical films because guess when Spice World came out Boxing Day, Boxing Day nineteen ninety seven. That doesn't look Christmas. See, they should filmed it to look more like Chris. It's just a music thing they did with music films. They just go, hey, have it in December. I suppose maybe you think people will be more forgiving of the quality.
Speaker 2: I think so actually, because I think because it goes with Panto season, so at least in the UK.
Speaker 1: I don't know about America because I don't. Although they didn't go theatrical release, it did incredibly well on VHS. It remained number one on Billboard's Video chart for twenty two weeks. It also spent fourteen weeks at number one on the Video Cassette Sales chart NICE. In nineteen eighty nine, moon Walker was honored with a certification of eight hundred thousand copies sold by the Recording Industry Association of America and was certified nine times platinum in the UK. Wow They Leave Me Alone Music Video aired as a separate entity and won a Grammy in nineteen ninety for Best Music Video Short Form, which is the only Grammy Award Jackson received for the album. Bad They Leave Me Alone Music Video also won the CANS Golden Lion of for Best Special Effects. Oh Wow. The film did receive mixed reviews, however, with critics praising the music but complaining that there was no plot and it seemed like a series of music videos tied together. Variety reported that Moonwalker seems unsure of what it's supposed to be. At the center of the pick is the Smooth Criminal Segment, a musical slash dramatic piece full of dancing, schmaltzy kids, sci fi effects, and blazing machine guns, directed by Academy Award winner Colin Chilvers, based on a story by Jackson. I looked up Colin Chilvers. He actually worked on the Rocky horror picture show Superman, The Christopher Reevewan and X Men Right, not as director on all of those. To be fair, he was also a special effects guy. So Moonwalker was added to the list by your good self Rory. So do you want to tell us about the first time you saw Moonwalker.
Speaker 2: I would have seen this as a child. I do not know exactly when, but I was born in eighty six, so I was two years old when this came out. I remember some very early memories of Michael Jackson. Not to connect this too much as I would normally do with EGMP, but a lot of my early memories of Michael Jackson wasn't only the music videos that I saw on TV when they got shown, because I didn't have cable, so I didn't have MTV. But it wasn't just that. It was also I remember pictures when I went to Saga World. I went to Saga World once as a kid, and they had a big photograph where Michael Jackson had signed a Mega drive and stuff at Segaworld. Because that in the early nineties, there was a huge cross connection there between Michael Jackson and Saga, so there was this huge sort of Michael Jackson was hugely in the zeitgeist. I was aware of him. I'd seen the music videos, and at some point I got to see this movie, and I remember when I watched this movie as a kid that there were bits that I really enjoyed, and I also remember it being absolutely batshit, which I then didn't watch it again from probably the early.
Speaker 1: To mid nineties.
Speaker 2: There would be a huge bit where I'd forget this film existed. And then I got it on Blu Ray about ten years ago, maybe a bit more, and I'll tell you what this is the version that we watched. It looks incredible on Blu Ray. Like the visual quality of that is. If you're itching to watch Moonwalker, that would be the way I would suggest to watch it, because it looks so much better and the sound is great. But watching it again, I was like, I remember this being a little bit zany I'll watched.
Speaker 1: And yeah, you could say that. I will give one last thing.
Speaker 2: About my perception of Moonwalker as a kid was I remember the absolutely adoring the speed demon section where he becomes a plastic scene rabbit and rides away on a motorcycle. We'll get to that specifically for the motorcycle. Yeah, And it was one of the early movies from my youth that I watched and made me really love cruiser motorcycles. That terminate two with Arno Schwarzenegger's big Cruiser motorcycle like Big Harley. So I have some affection for this film. It doesn't stop it being batshit, and I knew that when I recommended it for this show.
Speaker 1: I knew that.
Speaker 2: I'll be honest JB a little bit. It was can I break JBI with this film? Because I knew it goes so off the rails. I wanted to see if.
Speaker 1: You could follow along, right. So I was not familiar with this movie. I knew it existed. I knew there was a Michael Jackson Milwalker film, but I, believe it or not, did not really know much about Michael Jackson growing up. I know most people did well, because he was a fucking megastar. You were born in ninety one, so you were five years ninety ninety Okay, sorry, but yeah, so you were born four years later than me, and so by the time you would have had a memory of Michael Jackson, you were looking at sort of ninety five ninety six, So by that point he's star had faded quite a bit. Yes, but you know what I mean, Because of how big a story was, a lot of people my age knew him still, yeah, because their parents liked him, and my parents just didn't particularly like Michael Jackson, so I never really got exposed to his music. They liked Elvis Presley, so I wasn't super familiar with Michael Jackson. However, I will just tell a very quick story about how Michael Jackson has permeated pop culture so thoroughly. I years and years later, I got hired when I first moved to South End, I got hired to film on Michael Jackson tribute concert. Right, So, me a couple of other guys were paid a small amount of money. We have three cameras and we just filmed this Michael Jackson performance. And to be fair, I was surprised how many songs I knew because I went in being like, okay, I know Thriller, Billy Jean, and beat It. I didn't even know bad. I was like, I know three songs, and I actually almost every song he played I recognized, even if I couldn't name it. I was like, oh, yeah, I've heard this before. So this was my first time seeing Moonwalker. I didn't know what to expect, except for a handful of things you told me were cheers. You had told me that Joe Peschi was in it. Yeah, he's the only other celebrity in the film. Yeah, playing mister Bige. Although he's actually got a name. He's Lideo Frank Ldeo, which I noticed is a anagram of the co producer's name. Oh really, Yeah, interesting, Joe Peshi is Ladeo. The real life person is Delayo. Right, So I thought that was a funny little thing. Yeah, so I'm going to start. What makes it weird talking about this film is it's not a movie if you're going to watch it. I'm not saying this as a don't watch it. I'm just saying this so people go in knowing what this is. It is only a movie in the sense that it's ninety minutes. It's not a movie in the sense of it's actually a bunch of short films and music videos that are put together. Now, there's still value, There is still some value in it. I'm not saying there's no value in it, especially given the impact Michael Jackson had, the likes of which we probably will never see again. No, so the film starts with just straight up concert footage of Michael Jackson doing Man in the Mirror. Yes, it is so yes, there is a good one. It is a good one, to be fair. The songs in this are all good except for one, which I'll get to you later, this one and that I didn't like, but we'll get to it probably. You then get a ten minute long Greatest Hits compilation. Yes, that basically is the complete history of Michael from the Jackson five to him going solo, and it's mostly made up of music, video footage, a couple of stills, some sound clips, randomly a photo of him meeting President Reagan yep, which seems like a choice in nineteen eighty eight. Well, actually, on those little inserts I put here on mine, I said, it shows an ego when has put footage of himself in his Man on the Mirror performances alongside footage of Martin Luther King, Junior GANDHI things like that, it's like, yes, me and Martin Luther King. It's like, that's a bit of a trip, man, Like.
Speaker 2: Don't get me wrong. In terms of social impact, probably is equal value in that sense. But in terms of the importance of the role you brought Martin Luther King was to do with the face of the civil rights Luther, Yeah, versus Hey, I make great songs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not. You are on a similar level in terms of being known. You're not on a similar level in terms of what you've brought. It's it's kind of different. You said something there that will come back to later, but it is one of the things I think it is interesting to compare with these two films. Yes, is this this film is made by Michael. Yes, he's self fondered. Yeah, and it's very for better and for worse. It is very of Michael, if I if I can say this straight from the off, it is actually though the thing for me that makes this the more interesting movie because at the very least, while it's and I don't necessarily think it's always in a good light for Michael, and we'll get to those pieces, but because it is so much Michael.
Speaker 2: He wrote the base of it, he fully funded it. So, like we said on VGMP with Uve Bowl, there's no one to tell him no. He ends up with a narrative he wants to display, but within that sometimes he makes statements he doesn't mean to. He doesn't either intend or doesn't understand he's accidentally making, which means that there is something to discuss and look into whereas with the next film we're going to discuss, it doesn't have that element to it.
Speaker 1: Now. I have noticed it takes a full twenty minutes into this movie before we get any actual original footage that's been shot for this movie.
Speaker 2: Yes, before we get to that bit. But yes, that is a very good point. I have also noted that twenty minutes since we start to do some narrative. If you are into MJ the intro twenty minutes is still very good because it not only shows footage from the past, but it strikes them from the best available sources. So while Thriller doesn't look amazing necessarily, it is at least struck from the film negative they used. There are some bits that are struck from videotape or live TV transmissions because there wasn't anything more available. And there is also an animated android woman.
Speaker 1: Bit, yes, which I liked. Yeah, I thought that was really cool.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that was made for this film, because it is incredibly high quality, but I don't know if it was made for the film, if it was made for something else. And like like for one of his other music videos, and he's just sort of planted it in. That's kind of the difficulty of this is you can't tell what's made for the movie and what's not unless you already know where the music videos are from. Yeah, but yeah, there are some where he does these animated inserts. They are fantastic, Like the actual quality of them is very good.
Speaker 1: Then you get a parody of the bad music video with children. I didn't get it. I didn't get it. Like the kids are all great dancers, Like the kids do a wonderful job. There is no slight to the kids. But why not put the bad music video? But what does it mean? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I can actually answer that as far as I'm aware from what I've read before about this film. The reason that that's done that way because realistically he should have just put the bad music video in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because White transitions to next is him coming off of.
Speaker 2: That set, Yeah, as an adult. But yeah, in the he's also played by a kid who's also a kid who appears later in the movie. So why is he he becomes MJ at this point as if that's young MJ. But then that kid appears later on seeing MJ in another scene.
Speaker 1: Just like It's one of those things that again, you're just like, you just didn't fucking think any of this through. But yeah, during that segment, the reason was MJ thought it would be funny, and he genuinely loved that sequence. He thought that the guy who plays the young MJ doing the dancing was hilarious. Apparently he was cracking up off camera all the time, which is fair enough.
Speaker 2: If you enjoy it, Michael, that's great. It's one of those things though, where I think a producer would have gone, cool idea. But maybe because this is about MJ, we should actually show the MJ video.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if we're gonna do it, it's funny to you, Michael, it's not funny to anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but again, where he's the guy bankrolling the whole thing, he's also his own producer, and he's the guy right in it. Who's going to tell Michael what to do with his own money.
Speaker 1: Oh, certainly not in nineteen eighty eight. No, so as we said, this then transitions to Michael being an adult, and this launches us into the next segment of the film, which is called speed Demon. And this is the first time we get to see Michael Jacks an act. YEP. If you can call it that, and he is being chased through a studio lot, yes, by caricatures of tourists. Yes, as are made of claymation.
Speaker 2: Yes, we also get a couple of claymation caricatures of Steven Spielberg and Lee van Cleif, Yes, who chased him a horseback.
Speaker 1: And I don't even turns into a dragon for some reason.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he gets some angry turns into a dragon. The other thing, as well is I don't think Lee van Cleeff was alive at this point, so having Steven Spielberg directing Levan Cleef in a western seems a bit out of place, like at least make it seem like a believable shoot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was interesting because obviously this is stop motion crossed with live action footage. Yes. And I also noticed a little trick they've used. I don't blame them one bit because stop motion is incredibly time consuming, Yeah, which also means it's incredibly expensive.
Speaker 2: And they do it through it pretty much the entire music videos, so actually fair play, they don't.
Speaker 1: So they do a little trick I know, if you notice, they do a little trick to get around some of it, which is whenever it's a person in the background who's not really the focus. They're not actually stop motion animation. It is a regular person where they've actually made latex heads of the stop motion model. And it's just you can always tell because the person's movement is obviously well, they're acting smoother.
Speaker 2: They're moving like a person, but the head doesn't move and it's clearly unbalanced on their head, wobbling on their head. I did what I like about this sequence. It's not a good sequence, let's put it that way in terms of what it says. But that's kind of the bit that I was saying about where this is all from Michael's brain. This kind of feels like a slip up that a producer would have caught and not had him make, where it kind of fills it with the journalists, it makes sense. There's bits of journalists, which there's a bit that's really odd where you have like a line of journalists in a row or walking in lockstep with.
Speaker 1: Their cameras in front of their faces. That sort of imagery is great. Yeah, the problem is is when he's trying to run away from his fans and his fans are like, my god, they're turning into like grotesque monsters almost because they are so obsessed and they're not girl sort of stuff. You're like, do you hate your fans? Like this kind of feels like I understand, like not liking the obsession from fans, that's that I get and not. But you could have done that same story and in fact did with the journalists having the being the paparazzi that have the obsession and not had the statement almost about your fans. And I'm not sure that I don't I doubt that Michael Jackson wanted to make a statement about his fans. But this is the interesting bit.
Speaker 2: Is he making a statement about his fans and now you can have that discussion. Yeah, personally, I think he's accidentally let slip a little bit of frustration. Yeah, yeah, I think he's accidentally saying more than he intended. But it could just be an accident, and he was just like, I love my fans, but you know, I just thought it would be funny.
Speaker 1: The part that's really weird in this section is he goes and hides in a room, comes back out as the rabbit Spike, yes, implying he has transformed into a rabbit. However, when he then after we've had the chase sequence. He then takes the rabbit costume off. You're like, oh, okay, it was just Michael wearing a costume, but then the costume comes to life. Yes, so so what was it. Did he turn into a rabbit? Did he split into two different people? Because right at the very end, the rabbit becomes a mountain? Yeah, so does it really matter, Jamie, No, this is my least favorite part in the film because I also don't like the song speed Demon. It's the only song in it that doesn't sound like a Michael Jackson song to me. Oh, it's what I think of with Michael Jackson weirdly. Oh really, Okay, that's interesting. Yeah, I mean obviously different strokes for different folks and any sort of music, but yeah, for me, it's kind of the epitome. But it is.
Speaker 2: What is kind of interesting with Speed Demon in terms of album releases is it is on The Bad Album in the UK, but it's not on The Bad Album in America. Okay, so Speed Demon actually you could classify as being part of one of like the Bad is arguably his best ever album, and either depending on where you live, it either is on that album or it isn't right, and it's so very depending on territory.
Speaker 1: But with this the one. So there's two things that I something I don't understand in this is he comes out as Spike, steals a bicycle to escape, and then when he realizes he's gonna get away, he then turns around, go whistles at the fucking crowd and goes it's me basically and dancing. Oh, he's dressed as a rabbit. You're like, so you're big a little more then, so Chase Mid chase me. Oh, they're not chasing Chase Mid chasing Michael. This doesn't make you look good. You're you're encouraging it if nothing, But to be fair, that is kind of the duality of celebrity, isn't it is they both love the attention and come to resent it. Yeah, but again, I don't think he's trying to make a statement on it. He's just accidentally done so because there's no one checking the work and going, Michael, you know how this looks? I will say, like, as I say, speed Demon is one of the reasons that I absolutely love the type of motorbike that I now own. So that's another reason I watched this as a kid this music video separately and fucking adored it. What I will say about this bit, though, is something else about this footage. Now, obviously there's stop motion, but the backgrounds aren't stop motion. The backgrounds are live action.
Speaker 2: Footage speeding through cities, sometimes with like a frame like a like where they have a long exposure, that's it. Sometimes with a long exposure so that you get like streaks from the street lights as they pass. That footage is gorgeous, and I really one thing that's really good about this film is a cinematography, and this bit doesn't doesn't let let you down either. We've lost being able to shoot night shoots in streets for some reason in modern cinema. I don't know why, and I'm not just going with oh because it's all cgi even when we do film in actual streets in actual night. But we can't get street lights to look like this anymore, the sort of the way you get the glare come off from the lights, sort of bluish tint you get out of the lighting.
Speaker 1: We talked about this on our Terminator episode. They use mercury light in the light. The light bulbs are physically different now and they don't have the same, not even just the mercury ones. They're at least in the UK. I don't know about America, to be fair, in the UK they're nearly all led now. But I get what you mean. Yes, it's not the same. Stuff doesn't look the same on film anymore. Everything looks workman like now because they get in they and I get it. Budgets are getting tighter and tighter because everything's becoming more expensive. But it is most content. You see, Well, they're the word content. It's viewed as content, not as art. So it's getting do the basic angle, shoot the damn thing and get out. Well, you say everything's getting more expensive, but to a certain level. Does it have to be.
Speaker 2: Because like, for example, yes, like the cost of people, for example, is more expensive now than it was, and that is, to be honest, the bulk of costs in any production, however, the cost of actually filming something should be way down in terms of the technical costs should be But.
Speaker 1: It's not because capitalism sucks. Yeah, well no, because everything's going up because of inflation, isn't it raw materials and shit, I get that, but the raw material isn't really a big issue anymore in at least one particular way, in that, despite what Tarantino might say about what's real film and what's not, most films now don't need to be shot on cinema film, So the cost of the reel is obviously you've got only so much real and you've got to you know, blahlah blah blah.
Speaker 2: But with digital you don't really have that issue. It's not a you don't run out of it. You you know, you have to empty the cards and stuff, so you've still got more time, but you don't run out of it. It's not a disposable material. So theoretically you've got as that that's a cost saving. But then I think the other problem with that, of course, is half the time, even if you've got a big budget studio, they lease everything, don't they, rather than buy their own equipment. So actually the cost saving they would have had is thrown out the window.
Speaker 1: That's the things films are almost designed to be as expensive as possible. It is a little bit of a money pit buy design so that they can then claim films cost more to make than they actually do. Yeah, A discourages little guys from getting into it, and b it means they can fiddle the books on the back end. Maybe it also gives it from me.
Speaker 2: Maybe it also gives the studios a bit more power because if they go right, well, you've got twenty million, make a decent film out of that.
Speaker 1: You might go right well, as.
Speaker 2: The director, I want to stipulate I want this, this, this, and this in it. If they go, well, we're spending two hundred million on this film, so whatever you say doesn't really matter because it's not your two hundred million.
Speaker 1: But that's what I mean by that, keeping the little guys out of it as well. Yeah, because once upon a time you'd have had a directicle all right, I'm not gonna work like this. I'm gonna go to a smaller studio, yeah, and make the film cheaper. But they're convincing everyone that the minimum you can spend on a film is one hundred million. Yeah, which is insane. It's insane. So the next section is leave me alone again. This is just a music video. It's a good music video. I enjoyed it, and I enjoyed this song. Yeah, it's a good song.
Speaker 2: And actually, this is where I think Michael Jackson's put in a message that he did intend, which is he is the fair ground ride that all of the animeatics are being built around, and yeah, and him eventually breaking out of it at the end, and obviously the meaning of the song itself, just Leave Me Alone, makes a lot of sense. I think this should have come before the speed Demon section because this basically explains the speed Demon section. Yeah, so it would have been a case of, you know, he comes off of bad and gets harassed, and then he makes this song just leave Me Alone, and then in the end wants to fuck off, so he gets on the motorbiking goes on his way, and then that would lead us to the next section, because then we have after this it like is really disjointed. You get this whole song just Leave Me Alone, and the whole film at this point has basically been segments, and then the next bit suddenly is like, hey.
Speaker 1: Let's open up this fantasy film. Hurrah narrative begins and that is at thirty seven minutes into A ninety s. I wrote that down as well, thirty seven minutes smooth Criminal begins. Yeah, but not actually smooth Criminal. Over that segment is smooth Criminal. So some of the headlines in the leave me alone. Thing are taken from real headlines, real news stories that we're written about Michael, like sleeps in a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. Yes, that he has Bubbles the monkey as a pet, that he's got surgery addiction, but no, I really liked the image of him being the amusement park. This film's got almost This video has got almost a stop motion quality to it as well. It does not claymation though.
Speaker 2: No, they live action footage of Michael, like when he's in the rocket ship and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: It's the ride, but he's not.
Speaker 2: It's not a I think they've dropped it to like twelve frames a second to make it feel like animation.
Speaker 1: It reminded me this very high quality though something else they like to do in the eighties, because it reminded me a lot of Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer video, which is a similar thing. Okay, but no, I liked this one. But again, it's not a film. Yeah, it's a music video.
Speaker 2: We're not seeing a narrative actually start and finish yet. So we're thirty seven minutes in, We're nearly halfway through the movie, and we if we were to pause at this point and go, Jamie, what's the theme of this movie. You'd be like, like make music videos, Like that's all you've got. We've not had an act one. This does not fit a three act structure by any stretch. Like Act one is forty minutes long, and it's not any narrative.
Speaker 1: Not at all. So the smooth criminal segment, So this is the bulk of the film. This is the bulk of the narrative. It is a it's an extended short film. It's probably about half an hour long something like that, from a story by Michael Jackson himself. And it does it not a show, it's it's something. I will say one thing before we start. This entire sequence looks phenomenal in terms of cinematography, lighting, sets, choreography. When we get to the dance segments, one of the best pieces of cinema. There's clearly there's clearly been money spent here. The lighting's great, the choreography is great, the camera work is great, fairly certain.
Speaker 2: The sets there on are sets that are used usually in gangster films in America that would have been a backlot somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but they look incredibles got a real noir feel. This film, this part of the film loves a Dutch tilt mate and loves them, but it uses it so well, like it knows when to employ these things. But unfortunately this is like putting lipstick on a pig, because the story is nothing. It's he comes out of his music shop and they shoot him. Michael Jackson gets shot by a bunch of gangsters. Well right, no, does he sing smooth criminal? First he escapes as the car first right to so he gets shot by but well no, no, First of all, he frolics in a field with some children. So he comes out of the music So the kids are on the rooftops of what looks like New York Street. Yeah, we got to find Michael.
Speaker 2: They look over the side of a building and they see him coming out of a music shop in a white jacket, white like a white overcoat. You get this sort of almost fantasy musical, beautiful sort of sound coming through the sound waves. And then as he walks down the street, you suddenly hear the like the frog marching of all these soldiers and they look like, I'm gonna put it this way, they look like what you'd expect from a cyberpunk movie. As like a corporate or dystopian capitalist soldier army, and then just through the middle of them is Joe.
Speaker 1: Peshi with a real choice for a haircut. He's made.
Speaker 2: To be fair to Joe Peshi, he probably got offered a shitload of money to be in a film that didn't take him very long to actually make chew all the scenery, and later on he slaps the shit out of the little girl in the film. But it's just like, I get a beat up a kid.
Speaker 1: Fuck it I'm doing. He either must have been paid a fortune or he must have just been a gigantic Michael Jackson fan. Either way, and it's just like, yeah, whatever, I'll do whatever stupid thing you want, as long as I.
Speaker 2: Don't have any any qualms of Peshi. In this he's chewing the scenery just the way he should.
Speaker 1: His hair is so it's like pulled back really tight, yes, and then it's in a ponytail, but instead of just hanging down like a ponytail usually does, it's stuck up ramrod straight, like like it's an antenna or something on the back of his head. And what's really funny is later on when his great hat on you could see that that hair style is gone because you down. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he has all his men shoot and kill Michael, and we just get close up on the kids show, no not Michael, and then we get this flashback to the past where him and the three children and a dog go running off to play. What's weird is they play like American football slash rugby, but with a soccer ball.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this was a bit weird.
Speaker 2: This is because it adds to nothing, though I did notice that it's the same location they used in the pilot episode of Deep Space nine. They run across the river on that wooden bridge, and that wooden bridge is where Cisco first meets Jake Cisco.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, yeah, it's I'm not going to have cast any aspersions here. I'm just going to say, looking back on this film from this viewpoint where we can't forget certain accusations that were made about Michael Jackson not necessarily true but not necessarily true. And I'm not saying that they're true, but definitely not necessarily falseeen but the fact that he is this just feels really weird that he made a film it's him in control, and it's just got scenes of him running around a field with a bunch of children, hiding behind barrels with a bunch of children. He's got no adult friends in this film.
Speaker 2: No, But also he has no adult friends. The kids don't seem to have parents. No, there's no mention of him being there to look after them, and if he was, why they're not his house. Like again, if the man is innocent of all the accusations, this film does not help, No, because it just it's thrown in there with no context.
Speaker 1: I'm sure going to play with these kids. That sounds bad. I'm gonna go and play football with these kids, just but for no conceivable reason that matches in with plot. I'm sure he had good intentions. I'm sure it was just sort of a well, you know, I want to show that I'm really friendly and whatnot.
Speaker 2: To be fair, with the way this film is written, I can imagine he's not even thought about any sort.
Speaker 1: Of now and this mean it's just I like kids.
Speaker 2: I'll, you know, do scenes where you know I'm being a good guy with these kids.
Speaker 1: I want to be a transformer. I'll be a transformer. And this is five years before any accusations were made, so I'm sure this crossed nobody's mind in nineteen eighty ninety eight. I just I'm looking back from a twenty twenty six less. It's hard to separate it when the allegations were what they were, So like you said, with mat Joe Peshi, Michaelaedeo, who literally has a line where he's like, I'm Michu Ladeo, and I won't stop till every kid on earth is on drugs or something somehow has a massive death ray at the end. Yeah, like, what sort of drug dealer has a fuck off huge planetary death ray. Also, I don't understand why they go into his lair because they him and the girl alone run off away from the other kids because the dog has run off and they've gone to look for the dog. They go through an area that says no trespassers, and they go in anyway because they think the dog's gone there. They go into a cave which is full of cobwebs and spiders. For some reason, then spiders the spiders that have nothing to do with Joe Peshi except for he doesn't seem to care that they're all around his lair. I think he's using them to transport the drugs.
Speaker 2: Maybe, I mean that makes sense, just inject them through the spiders.
Speaker 1: Who's going to know it's him? They go into this cave and then there's like, oh, there's a spider shaped button that Mike uster press that opens the doorway to the evil hidden lair. And I'm like, Michael, how do you think the dog pressed that button? Like you're you're meant to be looking for a dog and it could be an intelligent dog. You don't know. Okay, speeding up a little bits. We've got two films to do, so I talk about this bit. So Michael Jackson gets cordered by Joe Peshi and his goons, yes, and jumps to the present day. He's hiding in an alley. Show how he escapes getting shot.
Speaker 2: We just see his jacket is full of holes, but he's managed to run off down the street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's hiding in an Alleyway. You get a modicum of tension where Joe pes. She's like, oh, he's like he's looking into the alley, like, oh, I think he knows Michael's there. He orders the firing squadcraftter Michael. Michael runs to a dead end and then what's he going to do. What is Michael Jackson going to do? And he looks up and he sees a logical thing to do at this point, clearly, he looks up and sees a shooting star and wishes that he was a car. Michael Jackson transforms into a car, a terrible looking sci fi car.
Speaker 2: So as well, when I was a kid, I thought this car looked really cool. On the behind the scenes of this the car barely works, so all the scenes of it moving is mostly it's being pushed because the car didn't really function very well. And then the bit where it has to blast off, they had to animate because the car just didn't go that fast and couldn't travel that far without breaking down. So the car itself is actually shit.
Speaker 1: But this is where it devolves for me a little bit on when he becomes the car. How does that devolve? Then it picks up again because we do the smooth criminal music anyow, which is again the best parts of this film is when Michael Jackson. Surprisingly enough, the best parts of this film are the parts where Michael Jackson does the thing Michael Jackson is famous for, which is singing and dancing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I will say this music video is probably one of the best music videos of all time. It is incredible, Like, the choreography is super on point, the cinematography is fantastic, the lighting is.
Speaker 1: Incredible, and Smooth Criminals a fantastic song. Yes, a wonderful song.
Speaker 2: And weirdly enough, unlike so I wanted to make a slight comparison. He did a similar sort of gangster video in the late nineties with Chris Tucker.
Speaker 1: Yes, I've seen that one. Yes. I can't remember the name of the song though, for the life of me, No, because for years I misremembered Dangerous something like that. Because for years and years I misrem but that that was the Smooth Criminal video, right, because I was like, well, he surely wanted have done two very similar videos, but he did. It's not like people say, it's this a legendary video. It's not that good. I've seen it, yeah, and you're like, oh no, I didn't see it. Yeah. So I think what that was was his career was slightly on a downswing, so he was trying to redoce Smooth Criminal. The problem is Smooth Criminal a By that point he kind of had the child voice going on all the times. Oh no, I'm against You're like, no, no, I'm not believing that, Bichael. But number so, actually, to be fair, he doesn't really talk in Smooth Criminal. He sings, which is what he's known for, and it's kind of badass. The other thing as well, is he's still actually a badass.
Speaker 2: In this there's bits that are a little harder edge, not hard edge overall, but a harder edge that were not in Dangerous ironically, where because in Dangerous he still had to be overall a good guy, Whereas in this one there's a bit where I mean he he breaks the cube all the white ball on someone's pool table just to piss him off. Then afterwards he gets mugged by a prostitute in the hallway. She takes his wallet out of his pocket as he's trying to romance her. Then he walks around the side of the balcony, a guy comes out with a big knife and he just shoots him through a fucking war and you're like, and he kicks another guy over the railing and you're like, yes, there's a little bit of a harder edge from this, which is really cool.
Speaker 1: And this is he does the famous anti gravity lean in this does and as do a lot of the other gangsters behind him, and the choreography is just incredible. It's wonderful. If there's anything this is me skipping ahead a little bit. Yeah, of course, my recommendation for people with this is watch the music videos. Throw everything out away. He's a half hour. Watch the music videos. Let's be done with it.
Speaker 2: So at the end of the Smooth Criminal music video, all of the Cyberpunky guards walk out around the outside edge of the set and basically they're silhouetted in the windows, and then they shoot through and MJ has to fire back with the Tommy gun and then leaves the studio, sees that Joe Peshi has kidnapped the children and decides to go after them and basically just runs into what looks like a quarry in the middle of fucking New York.
Speaker 1: For the final showdown. Yeah, there's not a surprisingly enough, not a huge amount of sense between the two scenes. But I know that's a surprise.
Speaker 2: But yeah, at one hour and five we arrive at the finale of a one hour and thirty minute long film.
Speaker 1: And and Michael Jackson transforms into a robot. He doesn't transform into just any robot, so he's it's like a fucking transformer. Yeah, but his face opens up first and he screams and it makes all the cyber punk soldiers' faces explode. Yes, I take out Joe Peshi, though I really think would be the one to go for. I read a fair few people sorry if she do a little bit of research traumat on this on this show, And there was a fair few people online saying they had nightmares about the bit where because when he first turns metal, his eyes like turn yellow, and it is because it's an old effect. The effect of his skin turning metal is quite odd and very uncanny. And then, like you said, his whole face just starts opening up, it splits apart, and then he screams and it's fucking evil looking, and you're like, Michael, you're trying to make a horror film. For like three seconds, this was unnecessary. But it's okay because in a minute he becomes a spaceship.
Speaker 2: He does turn into a spaceship. He turns into a transformer, shoots everyone dead apart from Joe Pesci because why would you take out the main bad guy? And even though he's right in front of him, And I will say this though. I don't know why, but Joe Pesci smacks seven shades of shit.
Speaker 1: Out of the little girl like does not seem to hold back so many films was it sobody films where Joe Pesci tries to beat children? I will say the animation work on the Robomichael for the Era is quite well done, but it's it's it's mental to it's too hard to remain It's so mental that it's hard to remain invested because you're now at a point where you're like, you jump the gun at the car, and then you went, hey, I can go one better. Then after that you went, but I can do more with the car? Right? He still is bullshit? But and to be fair, I might have missed something, So tell me if I did with the car. They at least try and give an explanation. It's a bullshit explanation to shoot. They at least try and give one, which is he sees the shooting star and he clearly makes a wish, right, yes, why can he turn into a robot? Does he see another shooting star? I didn't notice one.
Speaker 2: No, he saw Joe Pessey slap the girl and got angry enough to turn into a robot.
Speaker 1: So he's the Hulk, so we should do Incredible Hulk versus Robo Jacker Hulk Prime. I am Hulk Tomus Prime.
Speaker 2: But yeah, he then turns into a spaceship Joe Peshy has a huge planetary death laser.
Speaker 1: And then MJ just destroys him. And this is the other bit. MJ flies off and the kids are all crying and where's he going? And the girl because he's leaving.
Speaker 2: Don't know how they know that, but you know, okay, Michael Jackson's pissing off. This is regardless of the fact that clearly doesn't land because it's bollocks.
Speaker 1: It's like, okay, you're having the emotional moment he's leaving us by Michael, like a fucking ego of it. But it doesn't work because a minute later they're sitting there going, I wish she come back. Oh, he's never coming back. Hey here's Michael. Hey I'm back. You're like, well that what was the point of flying away? Then like what the fuck? And then we go back to concert footage for the end, and this is a really interesting choice. The way they get there is he takes them back to Club thirty and it seems that Club thirty just changes to whatever MJ is feeling at the time, and he goes, don't worry, I'll show you something special and takes them into an abandoned Club thirty. But it's all in there. Now. They're in the backstage of the music thing, and this bit is fucking weird because I noticed this is weird. It's walking around the back the back of the you can see all of the truncated cabling for the stat sound stage, which is all cool, great idea, but they're walking through in the pitch black. There's no one else there, and the kids are like, oh, I'm scared. He's that there's nothing scary back here. What if there's spiders? There's no spiders. And then we get an overhead shot with some rats on the cabling above above them, and they go, what if there's rats? He goes, he there are no rats.
Speaker 2: You're like, but I can see the rats. Michael like, why are you exposing yourself as a liar? Like why we're going to horror territory right now? Like what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 1: And then suddenly they reach the front and some big black dude with a top hat comes along, which looks fucking awesome, but just comes out of nowhere? Does that a Michael go to Jersey and got your stuff for you? Brings him on the stage and then he does the final song. Yeah, yeah, And don't get wrong, this sequence is great. He's fantastic. He's got a great energy as a performer. I really love song. Yeah, it's that really eighties grungy glam rockets. I think. But od is dressed is awesome as well. Actually I think they're just better than he is. Yeah. The because you've got You've got a black guitarist, but it's got like his hair is all spiked out. He's got like a black leather jacket, the studs on it. You've got another woman who's i think the bassist, and she's got like the incredibly wild sort of glam rock hair style. They all look incredible and the lighting and everything's amazing. Yeah, sorry, what was your point? He just looks. It's an odd choice to end an ego driven project that's basically been a celebration of you and how good you are, Michael with a cover of another band's song It's come Together not here. It's the Beatles, but they don't count. He owned the Beatles at this point, so this is his ego again. Yeah, he's just being look, I could do your song in my movie. You can't stop ye because I think in eighty two he bought all the Beatles back catalog, right, but heate it's a Beatles song originally come together. In the credits, it credits Paul McCartney and John Lennon as the writers. That's me not knowing the Beatles. Sorry, no, trust me. That's one of the only Beatles songs I do know because I'm actually not a Beatles fan. I like, I like the cover. It's a great performance, but yeah, it is a bit with eat and the hey look how great Michael is with Hey, I can do the Beatles, Like why don't you do beat It or Thriller or you know, yeah, Billy Jean or something. So there is a guy with a key tar and I was like, that's a bit miss Yeah, I'm in this day as didn't really make it far out the eighties.
Speaker 2: The last thing I want to mention on the film then, before we move on to Spice World, is that the outro music is really cool as well, because it's not an MJ song. It's not mj at all. It's a South African group called Lady Lady Smith Black Mumbazo doing a song called the Moon Is Walking and it's fully a cappella, so there's like six of them and they all sing like the harmonized different parts of the song. It was an adaptation of their song Linda Lanni, which was a song that was anti apartheid at a time where that was very culturally relevant for South Africa. Linda Lani actually comes from the Zulu language meaning either wait or come and see, and they do sing the words come and see during Linda Lanni. There is a difference between the two songs. I did look up Linda Lanni as well afterwards to see if they're very similar. There's slight differences, but not I'm not musical enough to really be able to explain them, but there are some differences subtly between the two. But yeah, I thought that was a really nice way to finish the film was because, let's be honest, up to this point, it's all been ego. To then end with a band singing a song that actually is an important song politically for its time showed a surprising lack of intro.
Speaker 1: Sorry a surprising lack of ego for its outro segment, and then afterwards we get another montage of how great Michael Jackson is so during the credits. So it's short lived, but it is there. Yeah. So overall, like I said, for me personally, take the music videos junk the rest of it. For me, I agree that Smooth Criminal as in the whole segments we can is beautifully shot. But in the same what I've always been of that attitude where like it's like video games, a video game with incredible graphics can't make up for a boring video game. Rise the Robots proved that in ninety four in my opinion, but for some people it can. If you're one of those people, you might like this.
Speaker 2: I will say this is a proper movie in terms of how it's shot technically.
Speaker 1: Right, Yes, yes, it's not in the sense that it isn't actually a script that goes from beginning to end.
Speaker 2: So the recommendation you would do on it would be based on what an audience memory is looking for. If you're looking for something that's really out there, really different and looks incredible, sounds incredible, will impress you with shit like the choreography and the cinematography and things like that. This film is a must.
Speaker 1: But if you're after something that will give you a really solid story, this is like the polar opposite end of the scale from what you're actually after.
Speaker 2: So it's something you watch when you're in a mood. I think, like, if you're in the mood for just like, you know what, I don't really care about story.
Speaker 1: I just want something that's fucking fun and in your face. I just want to be a map. I want to be bathed in the vibes. Yeah, yeah, of Michael Jackson.
Speaker 2: This film is a vibe film, right, and you have to kind of just accept that the ego is going to come along with that vibe. But ageah, if it's any deep emotional themes, yeah, you're not going to Moonwalker.
Speaker 1: No. So what's fully about Moonwalker is not well angry man No No. So what's funny about Moonwalker in contrast to our next film is obviously they're both film starring musicians. Yes, roughly exactly ten years apart. This is eighty eight ninety end of ninety seven is Spice World. The difference is that's a self fundered movie that was for better and for worse Michael Jackson. Yeah, it's fully Michael Spice World. Obviously, the Spice Girls were a more managed band. They, as far as I'm a weir, did not write their own songs. They were very heavily managed, very scheduled every part of their tour schedule, their their appearances, their publicities all managed. So this is more of a product that is crafted for them into Yeah, Michael Jackson's Moonwalker is a movie made by an autur for better and worse all for that word, for his own ego. This is content made by a mass produced company. See I kind of agree, kind of disagree on because yes, this is made by a mass produced company, but this is a movie Moonwalker ism. No, this is Moonwalker is a collection of music video. This is a store. This is not a good one, but it is a story that goes from a beginning to an end. No, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: There is exactly the same thing as Moonwalker. Yeah, but worse and honestly.
Speaker 1: Like the in fact, this lacks because it doesn't because it is is studio produced, and because it is about five stars not one. You don't have like the thing that makes Moonwalker kind of interesting for a filmmaker is just how much it is about this one man's self inflicted ego. You don't even have that in Spice World. It's just vapid.
Speaker 2: Within five minutes, you meet Elton John for two seconds, and then from that point on there's like another sixty eight cameos and you're like, but none of them mean anything.
Speaker 1: Well, get yourself ready to one night only revive. Jamie, your film taste sucks because I massively prefer this to Moonwalker. Yeah, I mean, but to be fair, I was a Spice Girls fan. I am not, nor have I ever been a Michael Jackson. Okay, so I like some of his songs, No, no, So my issues with it because I like the Spice Girls. I don't dislike the Spice Girls. And all the songs they play in this are bangers, right, so apart from when they did want to be because for some reason, they sing it like garbage in this film, even though I really like that song. As soon as they start doing it, they're singing it out of kin. I'm like, what the fuck's going on with this song? And it also happens to be the only one, And this is the big problem with it. They're both music video films basically, but Spice World, every single music video is just girls standing in a line behind microphones. Boring as fuck.
Speaker 2: No cinematography, no choreography, nothing, It's just five people fucking about behind a microphone for three and a half minutes.
Speaker 1: At least with MJ's Moonwalker, the music video segments are incredible. Yeah, the connecting thread is bollocks, but what you get in between the shit connecting thread is gold and Spice World doesn't have anything that matches that. At any point. We'll twitch the bit with the fucking agiens well to introduce it. Spice World is a nineteen ninety seven British musical comedy film directed by Bob Spears. It is made in a similar vein to the Beatles nineteen sixty four film A Hard Day's Night. It was made for a budget of twenty five million dollars, so we're around the same as Moonwalker, and it grossed fifty six million dollars at the box office. It stars obviously the Spice Girls, Victoria Beckham, Emma Bunton, Melc Melb and Jerry halliwell as well as Richard E. Grahm, Garry Hallewell. At the time or was she changed her name now I can't remember because no, that is her name is Jerry Halliwell. That's her maiden name. She's now Halliwell Horner. That's it. Richard E. Grant, Alan Cumming, George went Clear, Rushbrook, Mark McKinney, and Roger More. Spice World was a number one box office success in the United Kingdom, grossing two point three million pounds on its opening week end, breaking the record that had been set earlier that same year by Bean. The film received generally negative reviews from critics, with an average rating on ronin Tomorrow's of thirty five percent, with a critic consensus that reads, Spice World's lack of cohesive plot will likely lose most viewers, but for fans of the titular girl group, there's more than enough fun to be had in their wacky, albeit superficial whirlwind of an adventure. Noted American film critic Roger Ebert gave one half of a star and listed Spice World as one of his most hated films, saying, the Spice Girls are easier to tell apart than the mutant Ninja turtles, but that is small consolation. What I think that's really harsh. Actually, what I done this film? That is hard? What can you say about five women whose principal distinguishing characteristic is that they have different names? They occupy a spice world. They occupy Spice World as if they were watching it. They're so detached they can't even successfully lip sync their own songs. And when he reviewed the film on his and Gene Siskel's film critiquing program Ciskel and E but only three weeks into nineteen ninety eight, he declared he had already seen the worst film of the year and called it an entertainment free dead zone. He included the film on his The Worst of nineteen ninety eight special, but ultimately chose Armageddon as the worst film of nineteen ninety eight. Is better than this, especially Space Space. He's got space dementsion, which is still better than the fucking aliens that appear in this film. Yeah. Janet Maslin of The New York Times stated that the film is pleasant and painless enough to amuse ardent fans, who figure in the film quite often, but also noted that while it got a PG rating in the United States, nothing about it should disturb its target audience of media. Wise, fun loving eight year old girls. Writing for Site and Sound. In a positive review, Mark Sinker placed it alongside The Monkey's nineteen sixty eight cult film head. He went on to say that it sends up the amicable idiocy of pop packaging and the slow witted mass media response to it, and it was tirelessly generous in its energy. Derek Ellie, resident film critic for Variety, gave a mixed review, calling the film bright and breezy and as timely but evernescent as the cool Britannia culture it celebrates. He stated that the film would delight the fab Fire's pree prebeuescent fans, but it would be totally forgotten within six months. Oh look, it's never even had a blue roly. Several critics have reevaluated the film more positively in the years after its initial release. Rewatching Spice World in twenty nineteen, Alice Vincent of The Daily Telegraph was pleasantly surprised that the jokes had not aged badly and found the set were good. So yeah, they never aged bad to begin with, and found the sets and costuming had a now retro charm. I'll give that. Vincent stated, it's an irreverent, lighthearted romp that captured the brash, patriotic positivity of a London swept up in cool Britannia, people keep saying that I am British and I've never heard of cool Britannia. What is this? What is I'll be honest, like I've heard the britannially. Yeah, but cool Britanni particularly, is that what they call? Because there was I was going to talk a bit about how Britain punches above its weight in terms of music a lot of the time. So you actually had the British invase. So you actually had the British because we have Ireland connected to us. They bring most of the talent, do they? Yes? And Wales? Since when since almost every single Eurovision winner we've ever had your revision? Fuck your revision. I'm talking about us being popular in America? What's wrong with So? You know, you had the British Invasion as they called it in the seventies, which was all the metal and rock of the seventies. They got really big in America. I was thinking only of pop. Fine, yeah, when it comes to rock, we do tend to rock. And then in the nineties you had a wave of British music get popular in America with things like the Spice Girls and Oasis actually hate but yeah that was un Blur? Is that what that is? Is that? What is that what they call cool Britannia? I don't know. Because Oasis and Blur they had to fight because they were britpop, so that was its own specific category of rock. But Spice Girls would not have classified as Britain no anyway. Writing for The New York Times in twenty nineteen, Eleanor Stanford found the film to be much smarter and more self aware than I once gave it credit for, particularly enjoying how the Spice Girls poked fun at themselves. Stanford concluded, the Spice Girls were absolutely working the very sexist system and making a lot of money off of it, but they were doing it slyly, with a wink and a grin. They were I think misunderstood at the time, and I wonder if an irreverent, breezy group like Theirs could even exist today. It was listed for a Golden Raspberry Award for several It won Worst Actress for all five Spice Girls, so collectively they won it. It was nominated for Worst New Star. It was nominated for Worst Original Song for the song too Much. Roger Moore was nominated for Worst Supporting Actor.
Speaker 2: He definitely deserves it. I love Roger Moore, but his performance and this is fucking track.
Speaker 1: It was also nominated for Worst Picture and Worst Screenplay, and then in two thousand and four it got renominated for Worst Musical of the first twenty five years of of the Raspberry the Razzies existing. Now, I just want to talk quickly about the director because one thing I will openly say, the two films have similar budgets. Yep, Spice Girls probably have slightly less when you factor in the ten years of inflation and the fact that there's five leads rather than one. So this is my thing. I think you can tell that one of the smart choices Michael Jackson made is as you said, there's basically no celebrities in it. And I wonder if he even paid himself because it maybe twenty five mil that without his cost included, so a lot of it went on the cinematography and it shows whereas Spy Skirls you're obviously paying five Spy Skirls, you're probably paying all those cameos and the director so I've just looked up the director Robert Spears. He's sadly not with us anymore. He died in two thousand and eight, and he's actually he's mostly a TV director, doesn't surprise me. He did three films, two of which were in nineteen ninety seven, which was That Darn Cat, which is a mystery comedy film starring Christina Reachi Spice World. And then in two thousand and one he did a film called Kevin of the North, which is an American comedy film starring Skeet all Rich, Natasha Henstridge, Leslie Nielsen, and Rick Mayle. And he's about the Alaskan idatorod Trail sled dog race. It no, but I kind of want to see that now. In terms of TV, though, I think you'll agree he's much more legendary. So on TV he directed Dad's Army Right, Faulty Towers, Wow, Are You Being Served? French and Saunders absolutely fabulous, bottom a bit of Fry and Laurie. Fry and Laurie and both in this film and the Ruby Wax Show that explains in this and she's from Fryan Laurie. So I think he got a lot of friends to come and just do camage.
Speaker 2: It makes me wonder if the cameos, most of which probably weren't paid, Roger Moore would have been paid.
Speaker 1: But I do wonder about Elton John as well.
Speaker 2: Actually because he's literal, because he's only in it for two seconds, make me think that.
Speaker 1: They bumped into them. He didn't know it was on film. He's just being himself. But so that's quite their big name was in British comedy. All those shows I've just listened some of the biggest names of comedy, actually Dad's Army being the biggest surprise because I consider that quite an old show, so he must have been quite old. He died in two thousand and eight. No no, no, Byny was like eighty right, there you go. Cool. So I put Spice World on the list. I chose it to be the season finale deliberately because it's a ridiculous movie, unlike Moonwalker. Well when you said moon Walker, I was like, well, let's put them together. Why not? So as a child, I was obsessed with the Spy Girls. Fucking me and my brother and sister all were. We loved the Spy Girls. We had a VHS of them performing live. I want to say Wembley Arena. We used to buy all the chocolate but I don't if you remember, but deary milks in the nineties have the spice Girls on them, right, Okay, we used to buy those. My sister had all of the Spice Girl dolls. The first game we had on our Sony PlayStation was the Spice World video game, which is I mean, it's not a game. It's not a game way, this is not a film. It is a waste of computer programming. So when this film came out, me, Jody and John were obsessed with it. We were like, we need to see this. I remember we had it on VHS and we must have watched it a jillion times. And that is why I am an uncultured swine who when I later saw some of the respectable work that Richard E. Grant went on to do, I was like, that's the guy from Spice World, which I'm sure Richard Grant would be Richard Y. Grant would be thrilled to know that. I didn't go, well, that's the dude from with Nail and I I went, oh, it's the dude from its most important role. As a kid. Loved the film haven't seen it in a very long time, as you can imagine, because I kind of grew out of the Spice because I still listened to the music occasional. They stopped being a band as well for a long time. So yeah, well, yeah they broke well Jerry halliwell left and then they broke up not long after that, and I ended up liking Girls Allowed. I ended up moving on to Girls Allowed for a because I guess I like pop music. But anyway, one thing about watching this back now that we can talk about later is realizing how little of the film I understood as a kid. There's a lot of jokes in this I are not even talking dirty jokes, but just pop culture jokes that as a seven or eight year old kid, I didn't have the pop culture knowledge to get well, all the Roger more stuff. Yeah, like so there are so many Bond references with Roger Moore's appearances. I didn't even know who Roger mare was. No again, I didn't know what James Bond was at seven years old. Right, meat Loaf, Yeah again. The first time I ever saw Meatloaf in a music video went that's the bus driver from Spice Girls. You know what It's meaning is that I didn't recognize him in this because he's doing a normal, more voice and I didn't like it. I want I want a performing voice.
Speaker 2: When he does, he does a joke about the toilets, yes, and he's I wanted him to sing the line, so that's that's better.
Speaker 1: That's a joke. I mean that I didn't get where he says I love these girls. I would do anything for him, but I won't do that. Yeah, we'll just clean toilets. But he should have sung it instead. He just says it and that I love these girls, but I won't do that. You know, that would have been the way to perform the line. So I fully met, Like, I'm not going to sit here and claim this is a good movie. It is an nostalgic is a nostalgic movie for me? Good? So fine. Right at the beginning, we open on Top of the Pops, and straight away I was like, fucking ill. Remember when Top of the Pops was a thing. It was such a big thing though, because it really did influence how or what would reach number one on the charts. It was important to get on Top of the Pops.
Speaker 2: And it's just so weird that it's not even a thing now, Like the Top of the Pops too, doesn't even play anywhere anymore. Yeah, no, it exists. It's just disappeared out of the zeitgeist. It's not really a shame, because I kind of understand it was a product of a time that no longer exists, but it is kind of it just feels weird to me, having grown up with it, that it's just gone.
Speaker 1: Well, we've talked before, haven't we, about how cultural zeitgeist is a thing that is thinning out because you because you used to have only, say, three radio stations and three TV channels. Let's say the bands that got featured on Top of the Pops, everyone in the country would have listened to them because it's your only source. But now that you've got the Internet, and you've got not only the entire back catalog of every other song that's ever been made before this point, but every day there's probably a thousand new songs that come out. When you factor in all of the indie artists and everything, people are able to curate their own experts. I do it. I can't name most modern singers because I don't have an interest in that music and you don't know. I don't go looking for it same anyway. That's kind of a off topic now, No, but it's it's it's interesting. I had misremembered this film because my miss I had remembered and I tell you now it's the facial hair. I had remembered that rich that much facial ha ha. I had remembered that Richard E. Grant was the villain of this movie because he had a go and he actually isn't. He's just getting pissy. I just remembered a bit where he's getting pissy and he's got the goaty and the sideburns, and there's a bit where they kind of light him from under a little bit and he's like glaring at someone. I just remembered that image. That's the villain in the film. Yeah, don't know. Richard E. Grant plays a lot of villain, but there isn't actually a villain in the film. The closest you get is the newspaper guy who's deliberately trying to spread rumors that.
Speaker 2: They broke I guess, yeah, No, to be fair, their Asian friend who's pregnant. She's really the villain because she almost makes them late for their final performance, right, so she's clearly a villain.
Speaker 1: Of course I'll belly joking.
Speaker 2: So okay, first of all, I want to say something that's in contrast with Moonwalker.
Speaker 1: Moonwalker looks amazing. This does not.
Speaker 2: And I don't just mean in terms of having maybe less budget, and I don't just mean in terms of it not fit in the same sort of style. And I don't even mean the fact that it's an interlaced DVD copyer, not a shiny blue ray at twenty four frames. None of the technical shit in that sense. What's worse about this film is camera work, angle, choice, movement, basically everything that makes the camera give a good performance.
Speaker 1: Lighting.
Speaker 2: There's a couple of shots with good lighting, but they're usually in places like there's a bit later on with Ministry of Sound, which looks really good, but that's because they're in the ministry of sound, and Ministry of sound looks incredible. Have been there, it looks amazing seeing with all the lights on. So that's all just freely given to the freely given to them by the venue where they are. There's a bit in not the first musical performan because the first musical performance has done like a James Bond intro is yes, girl, but it looks terrible because it's all CGI. And then they do a bit where they have to they're doing a rehearsal I think by Jules Holland in this tall ceiling.
Speaker 1: Jules Holland. It's Jules Holland. Yeah, it's a cameo. I didn't write down. Excuse me, There you go. I've made a list of all the cameos. Unnoticed I missed that one. There you go.
Speaker 2: So yeah, Jules Holland is directing them in a music video, which is again just them in a line singing behind my stands.
Speaker 1: Someone fucks on a keyboard, don't they Melbil los a temper at him. Yes, But when they start doing the actual rehearsal, the camera starts towards the ceiling of the room and slowly moves down to bring the girls into center frame. Beautiful idea of a shot. The camera's pissed.
Speaker 2: The the entire drop the camera is like, it's like someone's got a handicam and has got their hands slightly tilted as they do the motion. Oh, I didn't notice that, And they've not fixed it in post or anything like or redone it. It's one the shot is one key and not in like a Dutch angle way. It's just they fucked it up. And there's several shots throughout it where you're like, nothing's straight, like fucking straight in the fucking camera, like either they've got a dodgy tripod or that his name is Phil and he's got a dodgy leg.
Speaker 1: Everything is just won key where he's holding the camera at a weird angle. Why is it relevant that his name's Phil? I just want to now, I did want to. I did want to point out something though that's actually quite serious, and I was surprised. I was surprised this film did it. In ninety seven, as the Spice Girls are leaving the rehearsal and they're making their way to their tour bus, you get a bit where there's a load of paparazzi waiting for them, Yes, and riginally Grank grabs one of the cameras that's low and he goes not the skirts, thank you? Oh interesting, I missed that bit. Now, I want to bring this up. So I probably wouldn't have noticed it either, except again, I've got that Girl's Allowed documentary right, And there is a lot of time dedicated in that documentary to how disgusting British paparatzi were in the nineties and the two thousands, the way you often got those sort of shots, to the point where in the early twenty tens the UK government finally pastor law making it illegally ill.
Speaker 2: It was also the reason why when the smart phones came out that could do cameras that they don't have to make a noise when you take a photo, but by law they it now has to make a noise as part of the program. Because that way a woman will know if you've tried to upskirt shot her. That's what that That's why if you go it doesn't really need to make the noise, it does because of not because because of because of perverts. It's to yeah, and it's it's it is.
Speaker 1: Atrocious that we're in a world where we have to go no, make it make a noise because of the pervert. And it saddens me because the British paparazzi, specifically the British paparazzi had a reputation for doing this. I've seen interviews with American celebrities who say they used to dread coming over to Britain and dealing with British paparazzi because they were desperate to get the obscull literally. In the Girls Allowed documentary, they talk about times where their car would pull up to somewhere and the cameraman would be laid on the pavement so that you've got to step over him. But like there's a certain level where you sit there and go right. So you're you're a photographer for a newspaper, you're going to take it. Try and get a shot of let's say, Spice girls for this sake of this film. If you're lying on the floor and get the shot the girls step over, don't hey, look I've got the panty shot? Who are you? Who you selling that to? And be telling you like how are you getting away with it? Because someone will go, well, here's the credit for the photo is Gilly bib Bob. Clearly he's a perf because the only way you got that shot was by lying underneath the girls. So it wasn't really newspapers so much. It was things like Heat magazine, Oh the rag mags, because they'd put them up and then they'd be like, look she's got cell You like that. So it's disgusting. They are vile, vile trash those magazine I'll be honest, I never read one. Yes, that's really sick. Yeah, yeah, it's disgusting. So I was actually pleased they don't do much with it. It at least gets acknowledged in this film. This is something that the paparazzi do, no fair, disgusting shit. So this whole next bit as a kid was the bit I fucking loved. I'm gonna admit something really embarrassing now. So their tour bus is a huge tour bus with the Union jack painted on it meat loaf STEbus driver which obviously didn't know it was meat loaf when I was a kid, And a lot of scenes in this film take place in the bus on a set where they've got this huge dressing room. Yeah, but as a kid, I was like, that's what the Spice Girl's tour bus looks like. That is it exactly what the Spice Girl's tour bus looks like? Despite the fucking it was a tardis, no wonder you fucking liked it. You love Doctor who Spice tardis Yeah, and uh, and then watching it again as an adult I was literally watching this scene where like Victoria Beckham's trying on dressers and Jerry Halliwell's reading the magnifice.
Speaker 2: Actually was looking at the fact that baby Spice was literally acting like a baby, like she's swinging a little sweet sucking on her farm.
Speaker 1: But you're like a bit weird in it. You don't need to go this far. I was looking at I was looking at it and just going, how the fuck did I ever think that this was the actual bus the starters. It clearly isn't em It's supposed to be in motion, isn't it nothing, But it clearly isn't. Nothing's moving, they're not rocket They're on solid ground. It's the width of three double decker buses at least, it's definitely a film studio. And then there is like the level of it, like riginally Grant there's like a balcony. Yeah, he's looking down at them, which is like four stor up and you're like, all its double decker. But as an eight year and I was like, yeah, that's the Spice Skills tour bus. Yeah, that's exactly what that looks like. It makes it. It says a lot that there's never a shot that takes you from the bit where meat Loaf is driving into the back you never see the entrance. We get another cameo, Jonathan Ross, who I'm sure the British the American listeners probably won't know who that is. But he's like a talk show host. I guess he's like our Conan O'Brien, maybe kind of Graham Norton might be more of ourn Graham. To be fair, our chatch hopes are very different, but yeah, he's on that grade. Did you think it was weird that Jonathan Ross's jokes are all about him not being able to get the languages of countries right, Like they say something in Spanish and he's like great for the German listeners, and then they say something like Mexican something, Japanese, Japanese, He's like great for the Chinese listeners or something.
Speaker 2: It wasn't even Chinese. It was like really off, like Brazilian or something. He made sure, to be fair, it's not that bad. He does at least go all over as far away from the rest of the world as possible, so that you know it's just him being an idiot, not racist.
Speaker 1: You then get George Went from Cheers is in this movie. So he's the movie producer who keeps meeting with Richard E. Grant right, yes, the chubby guy. Yeah, I didn't know his name at the time. That's the dude from Cheers. Yeah. Again the bus being ridiculous. Clifford's office is like a sci fi villain la. Yeah, so Kevin mcmaxford, isn't it. No, no, no, Richard E. Grant, Oh sorry, on the bus. He's got like a little office you see him in with a swivel chair, and it's got like all these monitors all around him in a circling. When I first watched the film, I was like, how did he get back to his office? And then I realized later on, oh he's made Yeah, okay, but no, and he calls Roger Moore's character so here's some more jokes. I didn't get some more jokes. Yeah what Roger Moore? Obviously very famously, James Bond is very deliberately made to look like Blofeld in this It's wearing similar clothes, he's in a swivel chair, He's stroking a cat, which they then later swap out for a teacup pig, yes, which was weird. This is a bit where the teacup pig just starts screaming is the only word I can use, and I'm fairly certain that's not in the script. I think the pig just started screaming, and Roger Moore just went with it. He was just like, I'll have you for another five minutes. The most egregious of these jokes, though, is there's a bit where he's shaking a Martini yes, and Richard E. Grant says, Oh, do you think I should stir up something?
Speaker 2: I was talking about the press? He's worried about we're getting to a point where the president a turn on the girls because they've had their peak almost And he's like, oh, do you want me to go and stir something.
Speaker 1: Up in the media? And he goes, no stirring necessary while shaking a Martini. Because in case you didn't get it, famously, James Bond drinks Martini's shaken, not stirred. You get a really weird skit with the Spice Girls as counsel of State moms. Yeah, that came out of nowhere because it doesn't happen anywhere else in the film, because essentially there's this uh, I can't remember the actress's name, the Asian friend that they've got. Oh, she's toss from torch. What didn't she? Yeah? Is it Naoki Maury or something like that? Let me fact check. So I don't want to be she's pregnant, and they're all like, oh, that, we're happy for you. And then in this sequence they'll sit there and going wonder, what do you be like to be pregnant? Oh, that might be quite nice. And then they have this dream sequence of them all pregnant together, living in a small house doing each other's laundry. Oh, it's right, it is Naoki Maury. Nice, Naoko Maury. Sorry, damn, I was nearly right. I mean it was closer than I would have gotten. So well done. But yeah, basically it's just really weird because this never happens again. We never get another sequence where they have like a dream sequence. No, not dream sequences, but you do get the film is littered. Do you get absurd moment with these weird sketchers that don't really fit into the narrative. It just feels like someone had a sketch script lying around and went, hey, I literally imagine they sat in the guy whoever wrote this, I imagine literally sat in a room and went, what if the Spice Girls were in a military training schore? What if the Spice Girls met aliens? Obviously couldn't think of enough plot, so just threw out any old shit. Yeah, well it's quite a tight run time, isn't it. And I think that's because they didn't have a whole lot.
Speaker 2: People are fans of the Spice Girls and they're watching this slop. Then they're coming because they want to see the Spicy Girls and they want to see the Spy Girls perform. Put in the best bits, put in instead of the wanna be thing that they do. Just put in the video from Wanna Bee. Try and strike it from a better.
Speaker 1: Source, maybe make it HD whatever, But like, don't don't do what you did. I'm so boring. But it's only now that we get introduced to the actual villain of the movie, who doesn't really implement much in the film. Kevin mcmaxford. He does anything the whole film. No, he has to be a parody of Rupert Murdoch. Right, Well, I thought it was Rupert Maxwell because of Robert Maxwell. Robert Maxwell, but Robert Maxwell would have been out of the count by for about ten years by this point, and Rupert Murdoch is Australian and this guy is Australian. Maybe they just felt like a choice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Rupert Murdoch's name doesn't fit anywhere in this as much as Maxwell does.
Speaker 1: I don't think the name necessarily is a reference because they're afraid to get sued. Maybe I can't remember the name of the guy who plays his sort of subordinate. He's famous as well, isn't he. I couldn't think of his lockstock into smoking barrels. He's a British actor. Yeah, he's very good in it as well, for the bits he's got. But these two are seen only together. They're never introduced into the main plot. It's essentially Kevin mcmaxford really really wants the Spice Girls to fail and he can sell more papers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you can sell more papers, and he's like, yeah, let's make sure it sucks up. And the only connecting thread really is yeah, they hire Richard O'Brien to gain spy on the girl.
Speaker 1: So there's a joke here that I fucking hated and I bet you fucking loved it on and it's they do a deja vu joke where they just play the exact same two lines. Devo joke where they just play the same two lines. I bet you fucking loved it, didn't you. I bet I fucking loved it, didn't I? Yeah, yeah, I was like, this is a it's a really good joke. It's it's a great job. This is the only good scene in the movie. I've found it. I found it funnier even though it's absurd when he gets really angry and he's like villain plotty it suddenly starts raining, but only in his office. Yes, that I loved as well. I've noted that down.
Speaker 2: This is literally the only good scene in the film, by the way, the only good one. It's got the deja vu deja vu joke, and it's also got the bit where it's like, let me down sort of thing of the blokes in the rain inside the office it's clearly not ready outside.
Speaker 1: Don't worry, I'm gonna make sure it happens. Right. I did more of this villain shit. The only person who got an outright laugh from me was actually Richard O'Brien just after that bet right when he comes in and he goes, this is you picking your nose? This is you doing that? And I was like, okay, that's fine. End. But then it's the way he just goes this is you peeing in a pool when you were twelve? And I just laughed. I was like, oh, this guy's somehow got photos. Oh a guy when he was twelve.
Speaker 2: Sorry, but the Kevin mcmxwell stuff is the only stuff that works, and not all of it does, but it's honestly like, I was like, Okay, this scene suddenly happened, and suddenly my interest went up, and I was like, okay, cool, we're gonna get like some drama start entering into this. We're gonna have this fucking scenery chewing villain, phenomenal Richard O'Brien, who It feels like such a downgrade for Richard O'Brien because I'm not I'm fair. Certainly this is the same year, or maybe it was just the year before that he.
Speaker 1: Did Dark City. Oh is he in Dark City? It's fucking amazing, right, okay, in Dark City? Okay, fair plad. I didn't know it's in Dark City. I was about to say, is it a damn grade though? Because it was rocky horror in like the early eighties. Yes, and then host of the Crystal may which is which is great. I love the Crystal Maze. It's not a stunning movie career. But I did not realize he was in Dark City. No, he's fantastic in Dark City. He was also in that. This is not a good film. The second mal viral movie, Virus Haunted Hills. Yes, it fucking awful movie. Yeah, the first one is not bad. El Vira Mistress of the Dark. No a Vira Haunted Hills is it's not worth We actually get another dream sequence that I'd forgotten about, similar to the Pregnant one, which is when they're talking to Baby Spice about how she can get away with anything by flashing her smile. And this is where we get Hugh Laurie's cameout. They cooked to Hugh Laurie's clearly playing yeah, at least a parody of named as poiro and IMDb anyway, Yeah, and he's like, so we must ask ourselves for the killer is. I can't do the accent. We must ask ourselves who the killer is. And he's going through all the typical you know, there's a vicar, a lady businessman, and then Emma Bunton is literally covered in bullets and holding a knife and he but she smiles at and goes the killer is clearly Reverend Smith or whatever his name is. I didn't like that saying that was ship. Two more cameos when they go to is this the Mystery of Sam the nightclub that they're in, Yes, Jennifer Saunders has a cameo here, Yes, talking to Victoria Beckham. She does. And Bob Geldoff has a cameo because I think he's got short hair, which is unusual for Bob Guilder. You know he's got long hair because Melby puts it into the same hairstyle she has. That's what it looks different. That's what I'm remembering, is that. Yeah, And here's a terrible lie. This is a we don't do worse lines on the show, but if we did, this is a candidate for worst line, because I get that you're playing of Victoria Beckham like Posh Spice's ditsy but fashionable. But this is too far. Is when they ask if the Japanese lady asks them if they can be godmother to the kid, and Victoria Beckham goes to Godmother's get stretch marks. What a stupid fucking question. I mean, like, no, of course they fucking don't. I mean it's part of the course for this film, to be honest. That doesn't surprise me. With this film, have hated the DJ joke more than that. Yeah, I did hate that. I also admitted that. Sorry, another chuckle I did get. I did get a little chuckle at They asked Jerry halliwell something, and she does a proper standard response of is the Pope Catholic? And it immediately cuts to a headline that says spice girls doubt Pope's fate. I did like that, and then it cuts to like the Bishop of Archbishop of Canterbury being like, of course the Pope is Catholic. This is slander. That was good. By this point though, my interest was waiting. Oh, actually, man, I'm wrong. I've got more laughs in this than I thought I did.
Speaker 2: Go on, Well, no, my next comment is about Michael Barrymore and I don't think we're there yet.
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, I've got one about the Italian dancers. So they go to the Italian dancers scene, they go to Italy, and I'm fairly certain it is a racist portrayal of the Italian directory. He's got like a mono brow and he's like, your mother like that, and we must have had sex. But these guys come on in like the teeny tiny Calvin Kline jockey shorts, you know, shorts of pants, and they like proper like jockey shorts underwear. Yeah, yeah, briefs. Yeah, but they're also called jockey shorts, I think, so I've never heard them. Okay, anyway, brief shorts would have considered briefs is the word I was actually looking for, you know, oiled up muscly guys. There's a bit that maybe wear one of touches one on their peck and they're like all the oil. Yeah, and I did like this joke only works because Richard E Grant's straight face delivery. They end up making a compromise. It cuts to the performance and the men all come out in purple suits and they're dancing, and Richard E Grant's assistant guys, oh, you managed to get it sorted then, and he goes, we made a compromise. And then the guys turn around and they've all got the butts on their suits cut out, and she goes, what is that straight faces anything? Richardie Grant goes. That's the compromise that made me laugh as well, but purely because of how Richard E. Grant delivers it. Richidey Grant is probably the MVP of the film. Yeah, I think so. Yeah, he is the best thing in the film. I think he's the only one trying to be honest. I don't think anyone else in this film. The assistant who's with him is doing a good job. But he's a celebrity. I don't I don't know her name, but she's in Doctor Who. Do you remember the episode? It's the two parter with David Tennant and Billy Piper where they go to the Satan planet with the UD. She's the woman who's like the second in command. Okay, fair enough, I didn't recognize that. Okay, cool, Yeah, she does a good job as well, to be fair, We randomly get a bit where the tour bus is driving through the British countryside at night and the Spice girls insist on pulling over because they need to pee. This is where you get the It's also where you get the bit where he says to Richard to meet Loaf, why don't you fix the toilets? Yeah, and I'll do anything with these girls, but I won't be there. Also, Britain's a real small country, Like you never need to hold it that long before you get to a service station, do you know what? Yeah, But anyway, they all go off into the trees in a scene of what I can only describe as a toilet no matter what that film. Yeah, but like considering that's the narrative is they all need to pee desperately that they can't wait for another truck stop. Yeah. What I can only describe as a very very low budget parody of Close Encounters of the third kind begins with these UFO lights in the sky and these aliens come down, and I swear to God Rory. As you mentioned earlier, I'm a doctor who fan the effects in seventies, doctor who look better than these aliens. These aliens look awful. They're like little trolled old masks with big collars. And then one of them pops its belly out and posh by fat shames the alien. But don't worry. One of them asks for a kiss, yes, and gets it and gets it physically. See the mask just dent. Yeah, this is a scene where you're like, what the fuck is going on and again it so it doesn't come back. It doesn't any right. Right at the end you see the aliens dancing to the song. But that's it. Yeah, it doesn't, it doesn't doesn't need to be here. No, this is literally just filling time. It's well, it's them going, oh look, the Spice girls are such a phenomenon that even alien on a different planet of heard them. But now we get to the military scene, so they basically get sent to a military score and we get another celebrity cameo. But it's another one where I don't think our American listeners will recognize him. I think he's only famous in Britain. I don't even know what he's famous for. I just know he is. So do you want to take this one?
Speaker 2: So Michael Barrymore is or was definitely won't be nowadays a famous game show host for different TV shows, but specifically Strike It Lucky, Slice Strike It Rich because they rebooted it halfway through its run and renamed it for some reason. But it's the same show. Michael Barrymore was very funny. He used to be quite witty with his guests. Sometimes he'd be a little bit sharp, but you know that's what his job was as the host, and at this time I think he would have been very famous in the UK, but I don't think he's ever been famous outside of the UK. But anyway, Michael Barrymore is in this, I don't think he's acting. You can tell he's a game show host because of the way he moons to camera and stuff, and he's trying.
Speaker 1: He's basically playing an army drill.
Speaker 2: Sergeant, but as campus nickers at certain points and that the blend doesn't work.
Speaker 1: No, you want to hear a Mandela effect on Well, no, it's not a mad Della effect. It's just me having a shit memory. If you'd have asked me before we watched this for this, I would have sworn on my life that this role was played by John Cleesh. Really, for some reason, it has always been my memory that John Clees is in Spice World playing the military drill sergeant. Right, And it's not at all at all. It's not even clubs, it's not even it's not even the same type of performance I was picturing. No, it's not what you'd expect from John Clee. No, my memory was it was John Clees doing a posh boy got his position by you know, just being born into the right family, because you know, we do that in Britain. They just get made fucking sergeants and ship because they were born in the right family. And then the Spice Girls won't obey him, so he starts getting all flustered and he's like, but the decorum and the tradition and that would have been better though, But in my memory that's what it was, right. And then I watched this and I was like, I literally wrote down, that's fucking Michael Barrymore. Have I got an alternate edition of the movie. Yeah, I doubt it. I think no. I looked it up. John Clees was never in it. No good good for him, Tell You, Tell You, isn't it? Those the most surprising cameo in it for me. Bob motherfucking Hoskins is in this film. I cannot with no dialogue. He's dubbed by Jerry halliwell, yep. To be fair, though, he can no longer have claimed that Super Mario Brothers was the worst film he was in, because this is way worse than Super Mario Brothers in every single capacity, is literally every single got Spice Girls in it, So with the music. They don't do any real singing or dancing. It weirdly, it weirdly made me proud to be British. This film it made me a shame to be really. I had a little wave of Patriotis and watching this, yeah, I was like, yeah, Britain I didn't get. I was like, look at all the fucking sellouts. This is how much Britain sucks is We are basically just sellouts that sit there and go, hey, look tea with the Queen. Yeah, that's all Britain is. Now. We were an empire on Yeah they were bad. There's a line though, in this bit that is so cringe where I obviously girl power was the whole spice Girl's thing and it was particularly associated with Jerry Halliwell and obviously great cause, you know, feminism, great cause and whatnot. But this line where she literally explains what girl power means and she's like girl power equalization between the sexers, but it's Bob Hoskins miming it, doing the peace sign while Jerry Halliwell says it. And I was just like, your message is good, like the absolutely, but it just something when you're Bob Hoskins and not Jerry, but the execution, the fact the Waits just dropped into the middle of this movie. It's like, what also I reckon? That's the only I reckon. Jerry Halliwell basically said to them, I will not do this movie unless I can have a part in the film where I say this or say something. But she didn't. But she didn't specify how she had to say it. So they went, Okay, we'll give you what you want. By the way, you're not even gonna be on screen when you say it. It's gonna be Bob Hoskins doing an over the top sassy girl move. But the point of the Bob Hoskins cameo narrative turns into Bob Hoskins Yeah, because she's like, she's going right, I've got a good way around the press, so they won't recognize me. She goes into the telephone booths to like change almost like.
Speaker 2: Superman, I guess, but when she comes out, rather than being a superperson, she comes out as Bob Hoskins. But then that never comes back, not even with Bob Hoskins. But in no capacity do they ever hide their actual you know personas Again, Bob.
Speaker 1: Hoskins needed some money or something for this. Yeah, yeah, yeah, So I pointed this is when I realized that Richard E. Grant was not actually the villain of the movie. Yeah, because I was like, I was sure he sold them out. Yeah, but he doesn't. Although I have put this, this neo green suit he's wearing makes me feel like he's auditioning to play the Riddler forever. It's like the Riddler, but within the Matrix. Yeah, because it's so precise, Like the suit is pristine, the sidebirds, the slip, the shades. I'm like, this guy is meant to be in the Matrix, but as the Riddler, and then he has to fit on stage in it. Ah, that's just like, yeah, this guy should totally be the Riddler home. I reckon to Tommy Lee Jones with the sank his buffooner, I reckon he would have done absolutely. This is also the part where Roger More's cat has been swapped for a pig, and we now do a very clever and by clever, I mean not great writing thing where they clearly had gotten to We're probably like an hour and ten into this ninety minute movie now yep, and the producers suddenly go, oh, there's no third act. There's no third act, and we don't really know how to build tension to get the Spice girls, you know from because they've gone to the hospital with their friend who's gone into labor yep. And they're like, we don't really know how we're going to get them back to their It's got to finish with a big concert, obviously, because it's a music film. Don't know how we're going to do this, So they use the American producer and writer character, the ones who are pitching the movie to Richard E. Grant. They use them to basically do away with the third act and truncate it into a just hand wave away the villains. Richard O'Brien just sees the error of his ways, doesn't he Just like he's like, oh no, I have realized the error of my way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I didn't need all of this. There's a bit where Jerry Halliwell shouts up the woman's fanny and I'm like, I didn't need this.
Speaker 1: I didn't. I didn't need a film with this bit in it at all. I forgot. I don't remember seeing that.
Speaker 2: When when they think she's gonna give birth, I think it might be when they're in the hospital with it, or does she stay up there?
Speaker 1: Stay up there?
Speaker 2: Shouts up the woman And I don't need to see Jerry Hall will shower up a woman's fanny. That's not necessary. There is one more good joke that comes.
Speaker 1: Out tower Bridge. Yeah. Yeah, it's the only other good joke in the film. Yeah, I've written here they so. I actually if we had more of this in the film, to be honest, what the film probably should have been should have if they were smarter and more meta about it, and we were doing meta films by ninety seven. Yeah, it should have been the American producers pitching different movies for the Spice Girls to act. Sketches. Yeah, that sketches and they're all terrible, And your film becomes a commentary on the commercialization of everything that would have been and it's brilliant, and it wouldn't be like it's the first time it's been done. I've got a film. I have an Audrey Hepburn box set, and there's a film in it called Paris When Its Sizzles. It's Audrey Hepburn and William Holden. William Holden's a screenwriter and she's a typist who has been sent there not only to be a typist for him, but to make sure he actually writes the script because he's a screenwriter who's gotten a bit of a reputation for never actually handing scripts in on time because he's a drunk. And he tells her the idea for the film, but he's only got like the first scene, and she's like, your deadline's in three days. What do you mean you've only got the first scene? Is like, well, I've written so many scripts, you know, I don't know what to do now. I'm just copying myself. It's previous stuff I've already done. And the whole film is them coming up with different ways the film could go, and then each time they cought with a new one, it will cut to them to acting that out, and it ends up being really crazy. The film that starts as like a serious drama about finding love in Paris ends up turning into a bit where Dracula is having a World War two bomber plane fight with them. Right, yes, they should have done something like that, because this bit I didn't mind where it's like, you know, oh, they're on top of the roof, they're on the roof of the bus and Richard E Grant's like, why those are the rules? You gotta do that, And then they find a bomb on the bus, but why it's the rule? Yeah, that could have been something. And the tower. I do like the bit where they're like, they're going to jump tower bridge. Oh that sounds expensive, and it cuts to literally a toy over a cardboard bridge and he goes, oh maybe, yeah that was a joke. That's a really good joke. What way too late do you're to talk about Hackney joke? Really hackneyed? Oh they know that they've gone through Hackney ha ha when they get I don't know if you noticed the needle drop when they get to the Royal Albert Hall, right, and they get off the bus and they run up the teeny tiny flight of steps. Yep, it plays the fucking music from Rocky when he's running up the massive Philadelphia steps and he's done the whole run all the way through. They make it up the first flight of stairs before the first five notes of the music have played. But anyway, you get a bit where Richard E Grant is like, I'm done for it's over. Then the Spice Girls turn up at the last minute. Alan Cummings disappointed because he kind of wants the documentary to have a well.
Speaker 2: Because where Richardie Grant basically goes, I hate them, I hate those girls, and he thinks he's got the perfect end of the documentary. This is basically how the Spice girls deteriorate and fall and then immediately the girls run in and.
Speaker 1: Go, hey, don't worry, we're here. We're going on stageing why are you sitting around?
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he goes, I love those girls, I love them, and that's why it ruins his documentary, But I'm in Would that really stop a nefarious, fucking journalist from just cutting out the I hate and releasing the movie as no? He apologizes to his assistant Donny that's a relatively good She says, you know, what do we do? He says, what do we do now? She goes, well, this is the bit where you chat me up. We'd end up basically sleeping together and then we'd fall out professionally in the next day, and the insinuation is that they do sleep together, and it nearly falls apart, but he manages to get enough heart to actually apologize, though he doesn't really apologize no, he apologizes and she goes, what for.
Speaker 1: It is because I'm supposed to I don't know. Yeah, it's like he doesn't really apologize, and it just kind of ends. We end up with a bit. They do a bit where the Spice Girls break the fourth wall, don't they and over the credits and they like come up to the camera they're like the people watching us. Yeah, it's like, of course they fucking are You're the Spice Girls. So yeah, it's it's it's it's not a great film, but I I thought it was interesting in a how ridiculous it is, and be in contrast to Moonwalker, I think we didn't really plan to do it as a double bill at first, and I think it's really interesting actually that one is clearly a singular person, the actual artist in question, driving it forward, whereas this other one is a commercial project, a package that's put together because the Spice Girls were the biggest fucking thing in the world in nineteen ninety seven, and it was like, well, yeah, let's fuck it, let's put them everywhere, Let's do Barbie dolls, let's do a video game, let's do a movie. And it's really shocking when you actually look at it because we remember them as this big cultural thing. It's only a few years that is peak Spice Girls, and all this shit is condensed into just like a two year period because I don't think they even fully lasted five years. I'll check it now. Yeah, because they came out mid nineties and they were gone realistically by the two thousands, at least as a five. I think like two thousand and one they broke up. Maybe maybe maybe even before that. Let me let me have a look for you. Ninety four to two thousand is their first run.
Speaker 2: Right, so yeah, six years if that that's you know, they were not up. But unlike MJ, who started off huge in the Jackson five and then had his own solo career for like thirty.
Speaker 1: Oh hang on, no, no, that said ninety four, but that's kind of bollocks. Their first ever single doesn't come out till ninety six, so I'm sorry, that's where you have to count it from, right. I don't care if they formed and were practicing before that. So this film was made within a year of them realistically being famous. Yeah, So ninety six is Wanna Be? Which is number one? Then they did three more number one singles, which will say You'll be there to become one a mama. Then they did the album Spice World, which sold fourteen million copies worldwide, another three number one singles Spice Up Your Life Too Much in Viva for Hour, and then in ninety seven they did their first ever live concert debut and the feature film. The nineteen ninety eight Spice World tour was the I Don't Know If It's Still Airs, was the highest grossing concert tour by a female group, and Halliwell left the Spice Girls then Jerry Halliwell was only in it for like two years ninety six to ninety eight. So then they did a nineteen ninety nine tour and did the album Forever, which gave them their ninth number one single, which was Holler Slash Let Lovely the Way I Don't Know That one, and at the end of two thousand they split up. So, yeah, they are. They're kind of a flash in the pan, you know what I mean, Like they turn up, they burn very brightly, very quickly, and then they're gone, yeah wow. Yeah four years then basically yeah, ninety six to two years of them as a five piece. Yeah, it's it's they were, yeah, a flash in the pan and nothing burger in the long stream, you know, because they and that's another thing. By the time m J made moonwalf I had to say, that's another difference is and that's at the height of them. That's MJ's been around for ages. Yeah, he's I mean, he's been a celebrity for about ten years at that point, at least longer because he was Jackson five. Yeah, as a solo career, at least he'd been going for about eight years. And prior to that, as you say, he had the Jackson five career. He was big.
Speaker 2: He was a big name for a long time, and he was at his peak, whereas technically the Spice Girls were at their peak at this time.
Speaker 1: But the peak came much quicker and very quickly. Yeah, And overall, Michael Jackson had a career his entire life, whereas these girls didn't have a Spice girl's career their entire life. No, and not, let's be honest, none of the solo careers really took off. Jerry Halliwell had a couple of good songs. Emma Bunton had a good song. Melc had a couple of good songs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Melse sees the Sporty Spice Ones, and she she had a couple of good albums that were popular in the late nineties, no, in the early to mid two thousand and then she sort of disappeared as well.
Speaker 1: Well, there you have it, folks. That was a double bill for Second Take Cinema. This is the season finale of season three. Up next, we've got a five week long run of Listener Request Month. That's right, We will be doing episodes requested by you guys. We went out on our discord and on our Patreon and we asked people to send in films they want to hear us discuss, and we've got five great selections. So we will see you next time on Second Take Cinema.