Speaker 1: In early twenty twenty, a tip submitted through a crime reporting system triggered an investigation that would shake a southern California law enforcement agency. The report pointed to a San Diego sheriff deputy and allegations that he had been communicating with and soliciting sex with minors online. As detectives began digging into the case, Dan covered disturbing evidence involving social media, hidden identities, and multiple victims. The investigation would ultimately lead to that deputy's arrest in a case that raised serious questions about trust and accountability. This is the story of the child predator named Jalen Devon Flear.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast. Warning.
Speaker 1: The following podcast material in more mature audience listener discretion. I'm excited for our walk tomorrow, are you? I am.
Speaker 2: It's been a while since we visited the tree, the Wicked and Grim Tree.
Speaker 1: Yes, so, you guys, you know our logo. You're probably listening to this podcast and you're familiar with our logo, the tree and everything. Yeah, it's a real tree about a few kilometers from where we live. And we're gonna go. We're gonna go see it tomorrow where we used to live. Yeah, well, I mean it's in the same city. Yeah, just on the other end of the city now yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it used to be very close, but now it's a little bit further away. But yeah, it's a legit tree.
Speaker 1: It is. We're gonna go take the dogs, go for a stroll, and yeah, it's gonna bean. He probably take a selfie and post it on social media, because why not.
Speaker 2: But well, I don't think Honey's ever been there, just Ripley, Really, I'm pretty Oh.
Speaker 1: I'm sure she's been there, hasn't She don't think she has. Oh okay, well it's gonna be her first time at the wickeding Grim Tree.
Speaker 2: We'll introduce her to the tree.
Speaker 1: She'll be like, cool, Yeah, it's a tree. She might even pee on it, who knows. But I'm stoked. It's kind of gonna be a nice, little, uh, I don't know, visit. I feel like that tree has a personality for us, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Yeah, nice little family owning.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Speaking of family, this is not exactly the most family friendly episode we're covering today, because this is involving miners and a sexual predator targeting said miners. So heads up on that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no kidding, and shout out it's gonna be a bit rough.
Speaker 1: It's rough, for sure, but shout out to her. Paid. We have a little feed, a little chat where they recommend cases all the time, and this one comes from in there.
Speaker 2: So it's awesome to have that they have our back.
Speaker 1: They do. Once in a while, I'm like, oh, I just can't find anything, and then I go scrolling through their recommendations and it's I usually find something pretty quick because they got some good cases.
Speaker 2: They sure do.
Speaker 1: So are you ready for this one?
Speaker 2: Though, Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Just dive right into it, I think. So okay, well, let's get on with this case. And like I said, trigger warning, you've been warned. You ready, Okay. So, from a young age, many of us are taught the same lesson. When something's wrong, find a police officer. They are the ones meant to help and the ones who are meant to protect. Authorities carry a very powerful weight because of that trust. They have a badge, a uniform, and a position of responsibility that signals safety and it tells the public that the person wearing it has been entrusted with protecting the community, but trust can be exploited, and there are also some of us who taught a different lesson that even authorities and officers can be corrupt. Because in the modern world, predators can be anywhere, and they don't always hide in dark alleys or abandoned places. Many now operate from behind the scenes, may be using social media and messaging apps to try and reach out into people's homes, their phones, and even their lives. Platforms designed for connection can also become a tool for manipulation, especially when those using them know exactly how to gain someone's trust. And sometimes the people hiding behind those screens, well, sometimes they're not strangers at all. Sometimes they are the people who hold positions of authority, people the public have been taught to trust without question. When that happens, the betrayal runs deeper than a single crime. It shatters the sense of safety that authority is supposed to represent, and in this case, that trust was broken in one of the most disturbing and unimaginable ways. Jalen Devon Fleer was born in nineteen ninety three and he grew up in Sante California, which is a suburban community in San Diego County. From everything I could find online, his early life appeared fairly typical. By the time he reached high school, he had developed a reputation as a strong athlete with a future that seemed to be heading in a positive direction. He attended Santana High School, graduating in twenty eleven, and during his time there he stood out on the baseball field. Standing at six foot four inches tall, he had a physical build of a natural athlete and was known amongst classmates as someone heavily involved in sports. Now he played both baseball and football, but baseball in particular will it appeared to be where he showed the most promise as a pitcher. Jalen competed in the San Diego Storm, a local baseball organization, and later continued playing that sport at Grossman College. For a time, it looked like baseball might remain a major part of his life. But no matter how you look at his youth or analyze his upbringing, nothing that we know of his early years suggested that Jalen would be well one day a predator at the center of a criminal investigation that would draw national attention to the people around him he was just a typical young man from a southern California suburb, someone that followed a path built around sports, school, and community. But at some point after his time playing baseball, Jalen stopped continuing down the athletic route and he chose a career that placed him in a position of authority as he decided to pursue law enforcement. It was in June of twenty fifteen when he joined the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. He was beginning what appeared to be a stable path in law enforcement, and Jalen was assigned to the Department of Detention Services Bureau, where he worked primarily inside the county's jail system. His duties placed him in the San Diego Central Jail, one of the main detention facilities in the region, and as a correctional deputy, his responsibility involved supervising inmates, maintaining order inside the facility, and working within the jail and court services units that handled detainees moving through the county's criminal justice system. For the next several years, Jalen continued working within that role. Now. Records show he remained with the Sheriff's Department for just over five years building a career within that system. By twenty nineteen, compensation records indicated that he earned roughly one hundred and sixteen thousand in total pay and benefits, with a base salary of about sixty five thousand. By all accounts, Jalen held a position that carried public trust and authority, and there were no widely reported issues tied to his work. To those around him, former classmates, coworkers, and members of the community, Jayleen now in his new career, was just another part of law enforcement, moving on doing better in his life, and nothing about his public image at the time suggested that his true self would surface. In fact, it was in the spring of twenty twenty that everything began to unravel. According to court records and investigators, the core of the case against Jayleen Fleer centered around a short but extremely troubling period of time. The crimes occurred between March twenty seventh and April eighth of twenty twenty, a window of just under two weeks long. Now. During that time, prosecutors say Jayalen was communicating with multiple miners through social media and messaging platforms, primarily using Snapchat. Because you know, Snapchat has that function of things get deleted. Right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Snapchat. I never really have been. Its one app that I have used very briefly.
Speaker 1: I would say I'm the same. I've had a few friends I've talked with on there, but it's not something I've used much. I've probably sent like under one hundred messages on there in total. And like Snapchat, it has a bad rap because because of being able to have those messages deleted, it's a positive thing. You're notified if someone takes a screenshot of the conversation. Photos disappear after you look at them immediately, however, so do the records of what's sent. Don't get me wrong on this. I didn't research the exact Snapchat stuff, so this is kind of off the top of my head. I could be wrong, but I believe Snapchat actually permanently deletes things. I think within twenty four days of the image being sent, so even authorities can't go back and look upon these things.
Speaker 2: Oh jez, that doesn't seem good.
Speaker 1: Again, don't quote me on that. I think it's somewhere around that vicinity, but I'm not certain, because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're notified if a photo is someone taken a screenshot of a photo.
Speaker 1: As far as I know, anything in the snap I believe, whether it's photos or the conversation or anything.
Speaker 2: I think it's just photos. Oh maybe, but I remember it always just stressing me out too, because everyone's all, you know, you don't break our streak or whatever where you have to send a photo every day or photo yeah this twenty four hours or I don't even know, and that always stressed me out. Well, I think that's another reason I didn't like the app.
Speaker 1: That was how I mostly used it. I messaged a couple friends here and there, and then yeah, I turned into the streak and then we're like a few weeks streak and it's like we're not even messaging each other. We just hit like a period or an exclamation mark, or just send a random photo just for the streak numbers. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: For me, snapchat is not something I'm really going to have in my life, but many people use it, and it does get a bad rap and a good rap for the same reasons. Now, through these conversations that Jalen was having on there, investigators later determined that he was attempting to arrange in person meetings and encourage the girls to meet with him privately. The criminal complaint would eventually identify four victims, all of which who were between the ages of twelve and fourteen years old.
Speaker 2: Oh that is young.
Speaker 1: In court documents, their identities were protected, and rightfully so, they were referred to simply as Jane Doe one, Jane Do two, Jane Do three, and Jane Doe four. Investigators also determined that the girls did not know each other, suggesting Jalen had contacted them separately rather than through a single shared social circle.
Speaker 2: How the hell, well, you're probably going to get into this, but how the hell would he even find these young girls. I don't even know how a person would begin to do that.
Speaker 1: I'm not too certain. That's something I'm not aware of. Certain things come out in court for various reasons. That's something that never came out through the investigation or court records.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean also to what's the saying, If there's a will, there's.
Speaker 1: A way, right, I guess so now. Prosecutors later stated that Jalen attempted to persuade some of these girls to meet him by offering them money. In fact, if you read the messages which some can be found online if you dig deep enough, though I do not advise it. He is situating himself as quote, a sugar daddy to these young girls. Okay, now, he talked to them about meeting up in secret offering them money, money in which was the clear driving force in encouraging these young girls to sleep with him. And yes, for the record, these conversations, there is clear indication of age in one message. In fact, he asked one of the Jane does how old she was and if she was a virgin, and she said, yes, she's twelve and she's a virgin. And his response, I quote that is so fucking hot.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, that is so disturbing.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: And so when they were meeting up with him for money, they were aware of what the meetup was, correct, that it was for sex.
Speaker 1: Correct, Hence why he's the sugar daddy and they're meeting up for sexual favor sexual as this is very much so solicitation of sex with a minor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they're so young like that, that's not something they can you know, decide exactly.
Speaker 1: But for them, the prospect of money is large. So there's even if you go into these conversations again, I do not advise it. But he's offering them a couple hundred bucks and they're like, oh my god, that's so much money. I can buy so many things. So they're just looking at the dollar figure and not realizing what's really going on, what they're really getting themselves into.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, in their mind, okay, say it's two hundred bucks. They can go to Claire's and get like a basket full of shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they can go on twelve year old like a shopping spree. Okay, many girls at age too. They start learning about name brands and stuff, and it's like how many pairs of Lulu Lemon can I buy myself? That sort of stuff goes through their head.
Speaker 2: Gosh, my blood is already boiling.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, this is a disgusting case, to say the least. Now, with these conversations Jalen is having with these underage girls, these very young girls, he's not only trying to encourage them to well, he's not trying to only solicit them in some conversations. He also encouraged them to bring their friends, attempting to arrange situations where he could meet multiple miners at once. Now, what made the situation Even more disturbing to investigators was that Jalen did not appear to hide his identity in these conversations. According to prosecutors, he openly told some of the girls that he was, in fact law enforcement, and in certain cases, he even sent photos of himself wearing the sheriff's uniform. Now, for young victims, think twelve fourteen year old girls, that revelation created an additional layer of fear in this situation. One, Yeah, realizing you're speaking with someone who's a deputy sheriff, it made them hesitant to tell any one of what's happening because of the power that someone in that position would That is scary.
Speaker 2: He's using that to his advantage.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. Now, at the time of these communications and when they were taking place, these were during those two weeks, and however, no formal report was yet to be made by police. This was just occurring at this time, but that would soon change. On April ninth, twenty twenty, the San Diego County Sheriff's Crime Stopper Program received two separate tips. Both reports described an unidentified adult male who had allegedly been engaging in inappropriate activity with a juvenile now, crime stoppers tips are often the starting point for investigations as they allow people to report potential crimes without revealing their identity, which can encourage witnesses or concerned individuals to come forward when they might otherwise stay silent. And in this case, the information provided in the tips was serious enough that the matter was quickly forwarded to the Chula Vista Police Department for further investigation. Now, at that point, investigators knew very little of the situation. They had reports of an adult man and a juvenile victim, but the suspect had not yet been publicly identified, and detectives would have to determine whether the claims were credible, and, if so, who the suspect actually was. So, as investigators started reviewing the details and the provided tips, they began examining online communities and digital evidence connected to the alleged interactions. Through this process, they were able to identify individuals who may have been involved and began speaking with potential victims. Before long, the scope of the situation started to grow. Detectives initially believed the case involved a single victim, but as they continued their investigation, they discovered additional underage girls who had also been contacted, and they determined that the case involved multiple victims, including at least three girls who had communicated with the suspect. Further investigation would later confirm that four victims in total were connected to the case. So as detectives pieced together the communications and accounts from the victims, the clear picture of the suspect began to emerge. The man behind the messages was, in fact, Jalen Devon Fleer, a deputy sheriff working for the San Diego County Sheriff's Department. Now, the discovery immediately raised the stakes for the investigation, because a suspect was someone who held a position of authority in the community, someone entrusted with enforcing the law. Now, at the time, Jalen Fleer had been working at that Central Jail, where he had spent much of his career supervising inmates as part of the department's Detention Service operations, and as the investigation intensified, detectives arranged to question Jalen directly. Now, the interview took place at the San Diego Central Jail where he worked, and investigators made it very clear from the beginning that the common conversation that they were having with Jalen was voluntary. Before the questions began, Jalen was informed that he was not under arrest. He was free to leave at any time. They pointed out the exits in the room where they were talking to him, everything The doors were unlocked. Detectives explained he could refuse to answer any questions and the interview you name it. After acknowledging those conditions and signing a form confirming he understood them, the interrogation officially began. Now it's important to say he agreed to all of this because of the approach in which he was interviewed. The detectives employed the classic good cop, bad cop routine. So two of them walked in. One sat back, almost like they were annoyed that they were even having to be there, very brash, abrupt, not saying much, not really engaging, while the other detective walked in smiling, friendly, down playing the reason that they were even there. They were just there in order to get, you know, finish off some files and clean up some paperwork on a call that was that was called in. They just need to talk just because it's formality, that's about.
Speaker 2: It, Almost like their colleagues right exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So she maintained a very calm, friendly tone, did a very good job of building a rapport with Jalen. She asked about his background. She's like, I want to know who I'm talking to, So I asked about his background, his time playing baseball in school. She even like, oh, well you were a picture. How's your arm holding up? Did you ice it? And stuff like that, like, oh that's awesome, good for you, those sorts of things, and even his personal life, these things she was going on about recent marriages. He was having a child soon, his wife, he was married not too long ago.
Speaker 2: Are you shitting me?
Speaker 1: These conversations often drifted into casual territory, creating the impression that the interview was routine and that the detective was sympathetic of him, realizing he was likely, you know, innocent, even though they knew otherwise. Yeah, but yes, he was married and having a kid.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we'll touch on that more because that's fucked.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: But also this is almost like an art to it, or like a science to some degree, right, Like they're you know, they're they're acting in a way, yes, get what they need and stuff. So I like it's incredible. I don't think I would be very good at that.
Speaker 1: This interrogation is easily found on YouTube, and I highly recommend you look it up because it is well done. It is picture perfect. They couldn't have done any better.
Speaker 2: Because you also have to think too, how freaking disappointing is that to them? Right? Like they're that they're one of them? Is you know, the freaking suspect. I don't know. I just can't imagine being in that situation and how just shocking and upsetting that is. I know that it would be for anyone, but that it's like a law enforcement person, like.
Speaker 1: Uh for sure. Now, one of the cool things that she did while she was interrogating the good cop, she said she made it seem like he was almost in a position of power because there's one thing she said about how I might need your help getting out of here later because this I've never been here before. Oh, almost like putting him like he's going to show her how to get out of here and she's relying on him.
Speaker 2: Holy moly, well done.
Speaker 1: She's so well done. Now she worked to make Jalen very comfortable the questions that he had already answered. You know about high school, All those sort of things began to be explored more things he already answered to, so things they already came out of his mouth. Then they started poking deeper at those things, so he couldn't lie anymore because he already answered them, right. And there were things about social media accounts, and he voluntarily mentioned his Snapchat that he of course hasn't used for a long time. But investigators they believe that the inappropriate communications were taking place with that Snapchat, and gradually detectives introduced the evidence that they had already gathered. They showed Jalen a portrait photograph that had been linked to a Snapchat account associated with his name, email address, and explained that that image had been sent to a younger female. Now, for the record, this photo that they discuss in this interview, it's just a portrait photo. Nothing wrong with this image, okay. However, the implications of this is did you send this completely normal photo to a girl? Would then mean well, that's your account because you also sent genital photos and sexual suggests.
Speaker 2: It goes deeper, right, okay, But even just a normal photo from a grown ass man sent to a child, isn't you know?
Speaker 1: Okay? Exactly. It's not okay, but it's at least.
Speaker 2: Not sectional, right, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now, Jalen did acknowledge that that photo was in fact him, and he admitted that he had shared similar images with adult partners in the past, sent that photo to his wife or x, and he repeatedly denied communicating with minors. He also answered questions and confirmed that he had sent sexual photos of himself as well, but again only to adult partners. No matter the questions, though throughout the interview, Jalen attempted to distance himself from that Snapchat account whenever questioned about it, claiming he had deleted the app long ago, but not the account, so it's probably still active, he would say, and suggesting that any activity linked to the account was not from his doing.
Speaker 2: Okay, you're really just trying to dig yourself out of something here a whole.
Speaker 1: And the funny part about this, if you watch this interview, not once does he ever seem concerned that he is being you know, alleged that he was communicating sexually with a minor. He is more concerned with that wasn't me on the account. The allegations never seemed to get a reaction out of him. At all, because he was already prepared for this conversation. He already knew what was coming, and he was already ready to deny.
Speaker 2: So did he seem uncomfortable at all?
Speaker 1: He seemed uncomfortable, sure, okay, but he wasn't shocked or surprised.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: If imagine this, You get sat down in a boardroom and detectives are accusing you of predatory behavior with minors and you didn't do it, You're going to be shocked. If you did do it, What are you going to do? Deny?
Speaker 2: Hmm, Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 1: And that's the exact behavior you see in him during that interview.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, detectives continued to push, and they kept questioning him about user names, email accounts, phone numbers, and the timeline of his social media activity, trying to establish how the account could be connected to him. At one point, Jalen even asked whether he should have a lawyer present. But thanks to the good cop bad cop that was being employed in the questioning, when he asked the one detective that had already built that good rapport with him, instead of directly advising him yes or no, the detective did a masterful response by downplaying the situation and explaining that they were simply investigating investigating the allegations and wanted to head to the truth of the story. However, this is where it gets interesting because if that good cop asked any more questions related to this case, Jalen would then employ I want the lawyer. But the bad cop hadn't spoken at all yet. So this is where the bad cop finally spoke up and said, well, do you mind if I ask a couple questions, and right back on track with asking questions because Jalen agreed to answer that CoP's questions.
Speaker 2: Now, huh okay, well that yeah, see that. I want to watch this. This sounds almost, for lack of better words, and entertaining, because it's a terrible thing they're having to do here, but it like they're doing a good job, which you can respect.
Speaker 1: They do it masterfully because, like I said, if that good cop said, you know what, we're just trying to get to the bottom of this, can I ask you more questions, he would be like, no, I think I've answered enough. I want my lawyer. But since the other cop jumped in was like, well, I haven't asked you anything yet, it's almost like changing the topic, and they asked, can I ask you some questions? And he said yes, yeah.
Speaker 2: They continued, well, and then I'm just curious too if it almost could be an intimidation thing with the bad cop too. It's like, well, i haven't got to ask anything yet and I'm in the room, like, did he come across almost as intimidating?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, okay, just not friendly. Okay, not friendly is all it is. It's business exactly, Okay.
Speaker 1: Now, Eventually, after a few more questions with that bad cop and the mounting pressure in the room, Jalen realized exactly what was at stake here, and they told him they had evidence and it was being fully investigated, and that he said he no longer wanted to continue answering these questions. The detectives respected his decision. They didn't push. As soon as he said he wasn't going to answer questions or anything, they said, all right, let's bring this interview to a close. It has been completely voluntary, Thank you for your time, all that sort of stuff. However, the investigation was far from being over now. At this point, when the interview ended, detectives had already secured search warrants approved by the judge earlier that day, they got those search warrants, and as soon as the interview ended and Jalen got up and was expecting to leave, that's when they informed them that they had the warrants authorizing investigators to collect his DNA swabs, sees electronic devices that he might have evidence in such on them, including his personal cell phone, and also a warrant that allowed investigators to search his vehicle, his work locker, and his home.
Speaker 2: His wife was yeah with who is pregnant, yes, which is very disturbing now.
Speaker 1: Once the allegations surfaced and investigators were done with the interview, the Sheriff's department moved quickly to distance him from any sort of active duty, and Jalen was removed from his position at the jail and placed on administrative assignment while the investigation continued. Because it is still investigation, he's not under arrest yet right and according to officials, this meant he could no longer have any sort of direct interaction with the public or inmates. In addition, the department took the step of stripping him of his peace officer authority, effectively suspending the powers that came with his role. As deputy. In a public statement, the department acknowledged the seriousness of the allegations, while emphasizing that the alleged crimes were not connected to Jalen's official duties as a deputy. It was him, and solely him, essentially, if these allegations were true. Still, the department made it clear that the situation was being treated with urgency and care. Officials stated that the Sheriff's department fully cooperated with the Chula Vista Police Department investigation, and even an internal affairs investigation was also initiated by the agency. Now, while the criminal investigation continued and detectives began searching these seized items from the warrants and all reviewing the digital communications and speaking with the victims, all those sort of things, it didn't take long for the full scale of the situation to come to light. What had initially appeared to involve only a few victims soon revealed a much broader pattern of behavior. According to prosecutors, Jalen had communicated with dozens of accounts online that identified themselves as miners. In fact, investigators ultimately determined that he had contacted more than forty individuals who had claimed to be under age. Now, not all of those individuals could be identified or located by investigators, and authorities were unable to confirm whether every single account actually belonged to a minor. However, the number of contacts suggested that Jalen had been actively reaching out to a large pool of young girls.
Speaker 2: He will two things. So that does mean that a lot of them ended up turning him down, I'm assuming, which is good, But the numbers probably could have been higher if that wasn't the case.
Speaker 1: Possibly, yes, very much, so true.
Speaker 2: And then this is just so smart too of the detectives, because as soon as he left that interview, he would be going and trying to delete as much shit or hide as much stuff as he could, right, Yeah. And so for them to just be like bang on the table, like here's our warrant, that is just bravo.
Speaker 1: Yeah. They, like I said, it was masterful. They played the good cop bad routine until it wore out, and the second it wore out, it was like, oh, by the way, yeah, here's all our warrants.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you're not going to be able to hide shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I will put a link to the interview in the description of this podcast if you want to check it out, but before you do, let me continue now. Deputy District Attorney Jalen wang Different. Jalen later told the court that Jaylen appeared to cast a wide net when communicating with minors. Quote, he spread the net very wide. He really just tried to reach as many young girls as possible. Investigators also learned that Jalen sometimes attempted to persuade girls by offering them money. In certain conversations, he encouraged victims to bring friends as well, as I mentioned, suggesting he was trying to expand the numbers of individuals he could reach or meet. According to prosecutors, a few of the accounts in which he had contacted listed ages as low as nine years old, though as I mentioned, detectives were not able to verify the identities behind every profile. For investigators, the growing number of contacts suggested that the situation was not limited to a single encounter or isolated incident. Instead, it appeared to be a pattern of behavior that he had played out across numerous conversations online. As detectives continued collecting evidence and interviewing victims, the case slowly came together, and from April through to July of twenty twenty, detectives with the Chula Vista Police Department focused on gathering the evidence needed to support the criminal charges. Now, this phase of the investigation involved reviewing online messages, documenting conversations between Jaylen and the victims and verifying the timeline of events described by those individuals. Investigators also worked to identify and interview the girls connected to the case. The digital evidence played a critical role in the investigation, and conversations and messages helped establish when the contacts occurred and what Jalen had alleged and asked victims to do. This information helped investigators map out the timeline of the interactions that took place during the brief window between late March and early April. Now, as the weeks passed, detectives continued compiling evidence and preparing for the case for prosecutors, and after months of investigation, the case against Jalen Fleer reached a critical point in the summer of twenty twenty. It was on July twenty second of that year that Jalen was officially taken into custody by the Chula Vista Police Department. Now, through my investigation, I found a couple different accounts on how this played out, and it's a little bit unclear if Jalen surrendered to authorities or if he was arrested as part of the ongoing investigation, but I'm assuming he was arrested, but either way, he's now in custody. So following the arrest, Jalen was processed and booked into the Vista Detention Facility, a jail located in the northern San Diego County. Now, because he had previously worked within the county jail system, he was not housed at the same facility where he'd been assign during his time as a deputy. At the time of his arrest, prosecutors initially filed fifteen felony charges against him. The charges include allegations such as leude acts with a minor, oral copulation with a minor under the age of sixteen, sending harmful material to seduce a minor, contacting miners with the intent to commit a sexual offense, arranging meetings with miners, pandering involving miners. Authority stated that the charges were connected to communications and encounters involving several underage girls. So basically, through the investigation authorities were able to find that not only were these conversations online, but the acts discussed were allegedly followed through in some situations as well.
Speaker 2: That's a pretty fucked up list on the name. It is what a nasty mofo.
Speaker 1: I agree. Now, As news of the arrest quickly spread through the region, the sheriff's deputy, someone sworn to uphold the law, was now sitting in jail, accused of lewd and sexual crimes involving miners. Was no surprising to say that the case immediately drew public attention, not only because the allegations themselves, but because of who the suspect was. The idea that a sheriff's deputy had been arrested on charges involving miners stunned so many people, including those who had known him before his law enforcement career. In santi where Jalen had grown up and attended Santana High School, a former classmate struggled to process the news, and that classmate, Christopher Edmondson, said, here remember Jalen as a student athlete who played both baseball and football while they were together in high school. Hearing about the allegations, Christopher said it was very difficult to believe. Quote it hit close to home. It's not one of those things you often see in this community. Like others who had known Jalen during his teenage years, Christopher described him as quote one of the guys, someone who appeared to just follow a fairly typical path after graduating. But the details of the case quickly changed that perception for many people. The most unsettling aspect of the story was, I mean, of course, outside of the child predator situation, was that Jalen's position in law enforcement and he still did those things. It didn't matter how it seemed in the past or how he seemed in the past. It was his position now, and it made the allegations even harder for the community members to accept. Christopher also said, quote, you're supposed to be held to a higher standard. It seems weird that we're allowing these kinds of people to get into positions of power now. Not long after his arrest, Jalen was brought before a judge for his first formal court appearance. During his arrangement, Jalen faced the charges that had been filed against him, and at this stage of the process, the court formally presented the charges to the defendant and asked for initial plea, and Jalen pleaded not guilty to the accusations. Now, because the case involved minors, the court took additional steps to protect the privacy of the victims. Portions of the proceedings, particularly discussions surrounding the bail, were handled outside the presence of the media, and at one point reporters were asked to leave the room while attorneys presented arguments related to the case, and at the conclusion of the hearing, the judge set Jalen's bail at eight hundred thousand dollars. If he was able to post that amount, Jalen could be released from custody while the case moved through the court system, and records later indicated that he was in fact eventually released on bond, meaning the remaining time he was out simply waiting for trial to begin. Now. Around that same time, the San Diego County Sheriff's Department confirmed that Jalen was no longer employed by the agency, but job or not, the case was now moving deeper into the court's sit and as prosecutors reviewed the evidence gathered by investigators, the case against Jalen actually expanded beyond the initial charges filed at the time of his arrest. The San Diego count District's Attorney office eventually found a criminal complaint that included twenty separate counts, this time tied to Jalen's alleged actions. The charges were made up of eighteen felony counts and two misdemeanor counts, And the counts you know, they covered a range of offenses related to Jalen's communication and interactions with the miners during that period of time that investigators had identified. This very same as the ones I read earlier, just expanded on a few more. Now. The complaint confirmed that the criminal case involved four victims, all of whom were between the ages of fourteen and twelve at the time of the alleged incident which I also mentioned Jane Doe through Jane Doe one and four Now. Investigators also reiterated that the victims did not know one another, indicating Jalen had contacted them separately rather than a shared social group, which is very important because he is on the search, on the hunt targeting these young girls, is what that says. So, with the criminal complaint filed and the charges now clearly outlined, the case appeared to be headed towards a preliminary hearing. In cases involving felony charges, this hearing allows prosecutors to present evidence to a judge to determine whether there is enough cause for the case to proceed to trial. For Jaylen, that hearing was originally expected to take place not long after his arrangement. However, the timeline began to shift. According to court documents, Jalen chose to waive his right to a speedy preliminary hearing, a legal option that allows the defendant to postpone the proceedings, and by doing so, the defendant gains more time to review the evidence and prepare for the next stage of the case. As a result, the preliminary hearing was rescheduled, pushing the time further into the future. At that point, the detail of the case had still not fully been discussed in the open court, so we don't know a whole lot about all the findings.
Speaker 2: Still, I feel like he's just pushing jail time for himself, really, because right now he's at home or whatever as possible.
Speaker 1: It could be too that, you know what, his attorneys are advising him that they need to look at these details weigh their options a little bit more. Either way, he's postponing the inevitable now because the victims were minors, the judge overseeing the case had already taken steps to limit the public release of certain information, and many of the specific surrounding allegations remain sealed within the court record, which is one of the very same reasons I'm not going into many details with this story today. Regardless, for months the case remained in this holding pattern as both sides prepared for what was basically to become a lengthy legal battle. But before the case could ever reach the stage where prosecutors would have to present their evidence in a full here ving, something happened. You see, as the case moved closer to the preliminary hearing, prosecutors were preparing to present that evidence, laying it all out against Jalen in detail, and if the case had continued down that path, the victims may even had to eventually been required to testify about what had happened in court. But before the legal process reached that point, Jalen changed his plea. Rather than continuing to contest the charges, Jalen pleaded guilty to all twenty counts filed against him. The plea included both eighteen felony charges and two misdemeanor charges outlined in the criminal complaint. By entering a guilty plea, Jalen effectively admitted responsibility for the crimes listed in the case. His defense attorney, David Shapiro, later stated that the decision was made in part to prevent the victims from having to testify in open court. Whether that is a real intention or not, the fact does remain that trials involving minors can be particularly dick difficult for victims, especially when they're required to publicly recount traumatic events like these. In fact, it is possible that they were telling the truth that that is one of the reasons. But maybe the plea was changed in order to save the victims from taking the stand, perhaps for reasons of you know, Jalen's actions not fully coming to light, rather than saving them the trauma.
Speaker 2: He doesn't just get to be the good guy now with that that like that ship is sales.
Speaker 1: And that's what they're trying to do.
Speaker 2: Gosh, Basically, he knows that he doesn't stand a chance. And I feel like having a twelve year old girl up there, having to share her story would make you look even frickin' worse than just hearing the shit, right, which.
Speaker 1: Is probably exactly what the defense attorneys were advising him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so no, it wasn't. He wasn't being this good guy like that. He he can't be anymore. Pets.
Speaker 1: I agree with you, yep, hitting the nail on the head there now, whether that was the case or not, whether they were actually worried about them or Jalen or whatever. By pleading guilty before the case reached trial, Jalen eliminated the need for that process. And also, hey, plea deal, right, and all that remained now was sentencing. On June eighteenth, twenty twenty one, Jalen appeared in San Diego County Superior Court in Cheula Vista for the hearing that would determine how much time he would spend behind bars. The case was presided over by Judge Michael Popkins, who had reviewed the details of the investigation and the charges Jalen had admitted to. But before the sentencing was handed down, Jalen's defense attorney made one last attempt to convince the court to impose a lighter punishment. David Shapiro, representing Jalen, argued that several factors should be taken into account when determining the sentencing. One of the primary points raised by the defense was that Jalen's decision to plead guilty before the case reached trial. Shapiro told the court that by accepting responsibility in the early process, Jalen had prevented the victims from having to testify in the court and relive the events publicly, a defense that, in my opinion, is as pathetic as it gets. The defense also pointed to steps Jalen had taken after the investigation began. According to Shapiro, Jalen had voluntarily entered a treatment program months earlier and had already participated in forty six therapy sessions. Shapiro argued that these efforts show Jalen was attempting to address his behavior and begin what he described as a long process of rehabilitation. And again, to me, it's not much of a defense. He's only seeking this therapy in hindsight, because he got caught. Why didn't he volunteers for that therapy beforehand?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. None of this is just sitting well with me, Like I don't give a shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when it came down to it, Shapiro asked the judge to consider imposing a short sentence, requesting that he get just over nine years in prison rather than the longer term prosecutors were seeking. Prosecutors, on the other hand, outlined the nature of the crimes and the victims involved, and after considering the evidence and the charges Jalen had admitted to, Judge Pompkins addressed the courtroom in a statement that highlighted the severity and disgusting behavior in the case. The judge said, quote, I have never seen a more despicable set of facts as I've seen in this case. Moments later, he handed down the sentence. Jalen Flear was sentenced to twelve years in a California state prison.
Speaker 2: What the shit here? I was like, Okay, gosh good, it's not going to be nine years, but twelve years is barely anymore.
Speaker 1: I agree. It was an absurdly light sentence for the crimes, but because of his early plea deal, Jalen avoided a full trial in the possibility of decades behind bars and honestly facing the full extent of his crimes.
Speaker 2: Whoa that is just maddening to me. Twelve fricking years.
Speaker 1: You have no idea how pissed off I was when I read that.
Speaker 2: During this research, Holy, I didn't think it. I was honestly thinking it could be no lower than eighteen like that. Oh my gosh, he should be locked up for life forever. Yes, because we've talked about this before. If it involves a minor, like you know, you don't get any more freaking chances like you're done.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Now, had the case gone to trial and resulted in convictions on every account, which it likely would have, I mean, he admitted to all of them, he pled guilty, Jaalen could have faced a significant, longer prison sentence. But if you ask me, he got away extremely for what he did, unacceptably so. In fact, the light sentence was not the only penalty Jayleen would face as a result of the case, though. In addition to the twelve year term in state prison, the court ordered several long term conditions that would follow him long after his sentence was complete. One of the most significant consequences that Jalen would be required to do was register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. This requirement meant that once his release from prison occurred, his status and resident information must be reported to authorities and be maintained within the public sex offender Registry. The court also ordered Jayleen to have no contact with the victims or their families, a condition intended to protect those involved in the case moving forward. For Jaylen, the ruling meant that even after serving his prison sentence, the impact of the conviction would continue to effect nearly every aspect. I was gonna say nearby aspects, but no, it's nearly every reaspect of his life. Employment opportunities, housing opportunities, personal relationships. They would all be influenced by this permanently. But even still, it's not enough, if you ask me, not even close.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: Now, even after Jaylen had been sentenced in the criminal case, the legal consequences of the situation were not over. A civil lawsuit was later filed against both both Jaylen and the County of San Diego, alleging that Jaylen had contacted a minor through social media while he was still working as a sheriff's deputy. Now, according to the complaints, the girl in the situation was thirteen years old at the time. Now, the lawsuit claims Jalen contacted her through Snapchat, where he allegedly sent explicit sexual images and messages, which we know has occurred because he pled guilty. The filing also stated that Jaylen sent the girl a photograph of himself wearing a sheriff's uniform, and the girl's attorney argued that this detail may have made the situation even more intimidating for a young victim, given that the person contacting her was a law enforcement officer, and we talked about that earlier, that is very much so intimidating. According to the lawsuit, Jalen allegedly attempted to arrange a meeting and offered the girl one hundred dollars to participate in a sexual encounter involving another miner. The girl's attorney, Dan Gillion, so the lawsuit was filed to help secure financial support for the victim's long term counseling and treatment, noting that the young victims often require ongoing care to recovering from this traumatic experience. Now, I'm not sure the end results. I believe that might still be ongoing, but beyond the courtroom in the leewal cases, in this situation, Jalen Fleer was transferred to the California State prison system, where he is currently serving a measly twelve year sentence for his crimes. What started as a quiet investigation expose jay Lynn as a predator and showed a pattern of behavior that involved multiple underage victims and dozens of online contacts. Under the court's ruling, Jaylen must also register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. As we know, but as he sits serving his time, and even when he does walk free as a registered sex offender, it all feels far too lenient. Even amongst criminals, people who commit the most violent crimes you can think of, people like this are still considered monsters, but he was judged that his sentence was given beyond the predatory behavior. Cases like this often leave lasting impacts far beyond the individuals directly involved. Now yes, for the victims and their families, the experience can be very long term and emotionally heavy, with consequences that may require years of support and recovery. The case it raises broader concerns about accountability and oversight within law enforcement agencies, particularly officers misuse positions of authority, something that many people urge agencies to address through stronger internal safeguards, better monitoring of officer conduct, and swift actions when allegations of misconduct arise. For Jalen Flear, the life he once had, the former athlete who went to wear a sheriff's badge, making a strong living while it ended in the courtroom in twenty twenty one when he was finally convicted. Today he remains behind bars, serving the sentence handed down by the court for the crimes he admitted to committing, and he will forever be marked for what the courts found him to be. A predator and his victims while they're left trying to cope with their encounter with a predator. And that's the story of Jalen Fleer.
Speaker 2: This one disappoints me, me too big time. I don't time. I have such just an unsettling feeling after listening to this one. I don't know. I mean, yes, his life is completely fucked going forward, but it needs not enough really, Yeah, Like I don't know. He he just needs to be in jail longer because there's probably even the possibility of in giving out sooner.
Speaker 1: If parole or whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, good behavior in there or whatever.
Speaker 1: Like he did the air quotes.
Speaker 2: Oh, so he's probably like he's going to get out of jail in his forties.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because he's twenty seven years old at this at this time when this occurred. So yeah, so lately ahead of him.
Speaker 2: So even in his thirties, Like what the shit? Yeah, oh my gosh, Okay, that is I don't know. And then just like I'm just sitting here thinking, like, is because his wife was pregnant, right, and like I don't know what if it's either gender like girl or boy or whatever, but like a little girl, Like what if he has a little girl?
Speaker 1: I believe he had a little boy.
Speaker 2: But oh, okay, which I guess is a little better.
Speaker 1: But I know what you're saying.
Speaker 2: Still, I don't know that. I just I kind of hope that he just isn't involved in that kid's life at all.
Speaker 1: I have a feeling he's probably not going to be. I mean, he's a registered sex offender. Is even allowed to be around his own child with that sort of status, I don't know. That's actually that's something I've never even thought about.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I feel like he probably would get some sort of visitation maybe it's probably monitored, but I don't know. I'm not certain either.
Speaker 1: Ugh. I honestly, people like him, in my opinion, they need to be at least serving life behind bars.
Speaker 2: Because that's still a fairly young age. And then because he gets out and he has nothing right so he is just nothing, so he's going to be bored, has all this time on his hands mm hmm. And I feel like that's a super risk to the public.
Speaker 1: I agree, just registering isn't enough too, because there's still opportunities, there's stills way of way of doing things, like you know, he could do it again.
Speaker 2: M It's a big risk in my opinion.
Speaker 1: So anyways, shout out to Patreon for bringing this one to our attention. You pissed. Both Nicole and I am off just saying we're angry at this Jalen guy. I hope. I hope he has a very tough prison sentence. I will just say that life.
Speaker 2: Yes, I hope his sentence was not tough.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. Yeah, his time serving his sentence, his prison life. I hope it is rough as fuck on him, because he deserves way worse than he caught.
Speaker 2: Yeah he did, he does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Anyways, I'm going to end that there. Check out the description for the full interview on this story, because trust me, the investigators do a wonderful job getting information out of him and talking to him and doing the good cop bad comp Also, we got our social links down there. Don't forget us to give us a review. We're an indie podcast. It's just us and you doing a little show because hey, it's fun to do and we get to do it because you guys listen. So thank you very much, and until next time, stay wicked. U