Speaker 1: It's Night Side with Dan Ray on WBS cost In Radio.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Al Griffith. As we moved through this Friday evening, it's now nine oh seven, nine oh eight, Yeah, something like that. I don't have what they call studio clocks, you know, back when I'm in the control room back in the day, you have these big studio clocks. They aren't like down to the milliseconds, so you always know exactly what it is. What time do you have, Rob, I got nine oh seven. What do you got nine o eight? Okay, me too, Yeah, we did just say ninaweight. You're absolutely right. Look I'm looking at the clock right now, nine oh eight in about six seconds. All right. Look, we have talked on this program for many years about the cost of energy here in New England. As a matter of fact, we talked just this past week with the former EPA director for Region one, Dave Cash, about that very topic. And there's some factors that drive the cost of energy here in the Northeast. We're kind of at the end of a lot of pipelines. We come from a part of the country where it turns cold sometime in November and it stays cold well into maybe April and early May, and so we still have a few more weeks of winter even though the calendar says it's spring. And so I discovered several years ago this wonderful website here in Massachusetts. It's called energy Switch Massachusetts. It's mass energy rates dot com. And believe it or not, some of our progressive politicians in Massachusetts want to take that website down. With me is Abbie Foster. She's the vice president of policy and advocacy for a group called the Retail Advancement Energy League called Real Abby, welcome back to Nightside. How are you.
Speaker 3: I'm good, Dan, Thanks for having us again.
Speaker 2: Yep. Absolutely, You're always welcome here. And what I'm trying to figure out is we've gone through a real I don't know, first of all, if you're famil with, we've had a bump and energy prices here in New England and there are some reasons for that. Obviously, it was a cold January and February, and it's been a relatively cold March, not as bad, but energy prices have gone up. The Department of Public Utilities in November gave the major energy companies here in Massachusetts a very generous rate increases. Are you familiar with the background to this story why people up here are really feeling it this winter?
Speaker 3: I am, And so we represent the suppliers where customers can shop for the one portion of their bill where they actually have options on the generation and supply. But a lot of those costs that were increasing this winter, or distribution costs, and that's not something customers can shock.
Speaker 2: For, right. No, I understand that. I understand this, you know very clearly. But what happened was and just to kind of set this up, we have three DPU commissioners in Massachusetts. All of them should resign, okay, because in March, when finally Governor Healey realized the scope of the problem that people's bills had just literally gone through the roof, she and her commissioners, I guess, asked the energy companies up here, the main suppliers, which would be ever source National Grid in UNITIL, to reduce energy prices the bills in March and April by five percent, with the understanding that they could recoup those five percent reductions during the summer months when energy levels are lower with interest. So it wasn't much of a break for the consumers. If you get my drift, and the Governor when she talked about it earlier this month, she was pretty proud of it. Okay, so let me just play a little bit of Governor Maura Healy just to make sure that we're in the that we're both on the same page. And then I want to talk specifically about what your group does and I want to make people understand how they can get their supply charges lower here in Massachusetts. So this is Governor Healy touting her plans and cut number thirty four, please rob cut thirty four.
Speaker 4: Look around the country, Okay. People have seen their heating mills go through the roof. Families are feeling it, businesses are feeling it all around the country.
Speaker 5: I'm proud to be here today to tell you that we're taking action as a state.
Speaker 6: Okay.
Speaker 5: Several weeks ago, I charged my team.
Speaker 4: I said, what can we do to drive down people's heating costs? Because people, especially the last month or two, were absolutely flabbergasted by what they got in the mail. And there are different reasons for that, but my goal was to make sure we were exploring every single thing that we could do as a state government, not as a utility, but as a state government to drive down people's bills.
Speaker 2: Now, that's a forty nine second SoundBite, Abby, and there's not a lot of specifics with that. But the governor followed up and this is a shorter sound bite, which again is kind of mystifying to me, but I want you to hear the governor's words. First. This is cut thirty three. Please Rob.
Speaker 4: We estimate that these steps, taken together, will save Massachusetts residents five point eight billion dollars over the next five years. Almost six billion dollars. We're going to save money back to you over the next five years.
Speaker 2: Still hasn't been explained to us how that's going to happen. However, what did happen, Abbey, And I just want you to understand that we've followed this story and it's been very frustrating. So the governor instructed her staff to go to the energy companies and give this five percent increase on the bill, five percent, one out of twenty dollars. The DPU ordered the companies reduce your rates by five percent on the next bills in March and April. National Grid ever source and I think Unitil as well said to the TPU five percent. We'll reduce them by ten percent. It was insane, but so so then the governor took credit for that. And this is the last SoundBite, and then we'll talk to you. I just want you to give you the sense here the politicians talk about gas lighting. Here we go cut thirty six rough.
Speaker 6: Here's what I wanted to tell you.
Speaker 4: A few weeks ago, I told the Department of Public Utilities to act to lower costs. After we pushed on that, we got a ten percent cut for gas bills.
Speaker 6: In March and in April. We are glad about that.
Speaker 4: Okay, so people are going to see ten percent off starting March and April.
Speaker 6: But we're not stopping there.
Speaker 4: I also wanted to announce today, as part of our energy affordability Agenda, a few things.
Speaker 6: First, we want to put cash back in people's pockets, some immediate relief.
Speaker 4: So on April, in your electric bill, you will now be getting a credit back of fifty dollars.
Speaker 5: I know that's not a ton of money compared to what people have been.
Speaker 4: Paying, but it is something. It is something, and every dollar counts so abby.
Speaker 2: The point is, they asked the DPU commissioners, who are appointed by the state, asked the major energy companies unitil At, Eversas and National Grid to give them a five percent cut, and the companies said, we'll do more than a five percent. We'll give you a ten percent cut. And the government has sort of taken credit for it. And by the way, they're going to recoup that cut that cut. Is this going on in other states around the Union? I feel like it's it's it's a strange political game that that were that we're being subjected to. Or am I am I just too cynical?
Speaker 3: You're not too cynical. I think I think it's really good for you to look at when someone says that there's a free meal, who's paying for it? And see where where it's coming from.
Speaker 2: I'm famil I am familiar with the acronym ton staffel. You're familiar with that acronym, are you not? Don Staffel?
Speaker 3: Tell me about it.
Speaker 2: There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. That's time STI I think they go, oh, go ahead, go ahead.
Speaker 3: I think it's I think it's good for people to want to understand that we haven't seen the legislation truly that's coming from the Affordability initiative that the governor has announced, but from what has been introduced to discuss so far, there's really no actual savings that we've seen that can come to customers that aren't coming from other customers or other programs that are customer funded and so or have to be reimbursed later, and so it's not truly a discount. One of the benefits of having options to shop is when the rates are changing and you have enrolled in a fixed rate contract. If the market is volatile, our prices are going up. The person who loses their shirt is a supplier because they've offered you a fixed rate. And so the only way to really save in a market like this when you have competition is to use competition to your benefit. Look at your options, choose your lowest fixed rate offer, and enroll in that. And unfortunately, we've tried to talk about education and the need for that in Massachusetts, but there hasn't been much done on the state's part to inform customers of their options and how to leverage competition in the market to work for them to save money.
Speaker 2: Well, here's the deal. In Massachusetts. The governor and the Attorney General want to take down the energy switch, the mass Energy rate site. I'm not sure if you're aware of that or not, but the site here in Massachusetts, and if anyone out there is sitting in front of their computer, all they have to do if they want to understand what I'm talking about is go to mass energy rates dot Com. And this was a reform that was put in about thirty years ago here in Massachusetts. And it's pretty simple. I'm on the site right now. All you have to do mass Energy rates dot Com. You select you utility, whether it's National Grid, ever Source or UNITIL. In my case it's ever Source, is who I get my electricity from, and then it says select your account type and there's three choices residential, commercial, large commercial, obviously we're talking residential. And at that point they ask you to view the rates and you now have a plethora of rates, you know, some nine months, some six months, some twenty four months, some twelve months, all sorts of different rates, and they also tell you what the current ever source residential rate is. So the ever source rate has actually has actually come down a little bit, which I'm very happy to see, but there that has also driven down the rates of some I'm with Constellation Energy and it's down to eleven point nineteen cents. So this mass energy rates website is forcing the rates down, and yet our governor and our Attorney general wants to take this energy rates site down. Are you aware of that?
Speaker 3: I am, And it's unfortunately it's not just even taking the site down, it's actually closing the market so that suppliers these offers that you're looking at, Constellation for example, that you're enrolled with, they would no longer be able to sell electricity to customers and operate in the market, and so customers would only have the utility to buy their supply from, or if they have municipal aggregation in their town, they would only have that as the option, and that.
Speaker 7: Would be it.
Speaker 2: Well, we're going to try to explain that and make people understand that the that this this this mass energy rates forcing is actually forcing ever source in national grid to become more competitive, which is which is a good thing. My guest is Abby Foster. Abby is a vice president of Policy and Advocacy for the Retail Advancement Energy League. If you have any question about energy, feel free to join our conversation six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty six, one, seven, nine three one, ten thirty. Now again, you may have parents who are older than you who might not be as comfortable with computers as you are, So this is something you want to make sure your parents are aware of as well or your grandparents, and everybody should be aware of it. It's as simple as that. We're going to take a break. I'm going to be back with Abby Foster, vice president of Policy and Advocacy for the Retail Advancement Energy League, talking about mass energy rates dot com and why we need to have that in my opinion, and keep it and not allow the politicians to take away something that actually helps us save money. Back on Nightside right after.
Speaker 1: This, you're on night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: We're talking about energy rates in Massachusetts gas electric. All of us rely on that here in a cool weather part of the country. Our political leaders here have often fought against extensions of natural gas pipelines into New England. Why have our leaders not been welcoming to the idea of more natural gas pipelines? Abby?
Speaker 3: In your opinion, oh man, Well, in New England, I think a lot of the legislators the renewable energy standards have always been a priority. Unfortunately, there's not a lot of generation in state in the New England states, and there's small states. There's not a lot of geographical area for what's necessary to hit the renewable portfolio standard goals for wind and full or things like that. And right now you just don't have enough of the energy to balance out intermittent resources that don't aren't available all the time when the sun isn't shining and the wind isn't blowing, and so you still need that kind of backup energy. And so you know, those are political decisions and people have voted for those political officers to be in office, and that's, you know, the will of the people.
Speaker 2: I may ask you some questions that you don't know the answer to it, and I'm not looking for specific answers, but are the rates the energy rates here in New England generally obviously different parts of the country During the winter, obviously probably the energy rates in places like Arizona are not exorbitant because they don't have the cold weather in most parts of Arizona that we have in the summertime, they may have rates higher because they have to rely on air conditioning, but as a whole how would you say that the cost of energy of heating your home or providing electricity in your home in New England compares to other parts of the country.
Speaker 3: Massachusetts have some of the highest electric rates in the country. Some of that is related to, as I noted, the renewable portfolio standards, so also one of the highest in the country in Massachusetts. Forever amount of every bit of electricity that you get, whether it's supplied by the utility or the supplier, sixty three percent of that has to come from certain renewable energy sources located within New England.
Speaker 7: And then we.
Speaker 3: Actually just did this past week an education event at the Capitol at the State House with Bob Rio who developed a platform called What's in My Electric Bill that looks at what are the different parts of your electric bill and what is on your electric bill and why you're being charged at whether it was caused by legislation being passed, or whether it's distribution costs from the utility for the polls and wires or for the supply from your supplier. And almost a third of your electric bill comes from policy decisions, So the legislature passing something to require the funding for electric vehicle programs, energy efficiency extra programs that are required to be added to your bill. But again, you know you've you've elected those elected officials. They're acting on your behalf, and so if you have any concerns about that, you should reach out to them and.
Speaker 7: Let them know.
Speaker 2: Right. But the elected officials in Massachusetts are almost uniformally unresponsive. We have a state Senate which is eighty percent democratic. We have a state House, which is a House of Representatives, which is about eighty percent democratic. The Republicans are they're not even competitive minorities. I mean to be a competitive minority every once in a while. I mean in the US Senate, for example, I think most people know it's fifty three forty seven, and that's on some issues that can be really competitive. And the Republicans, even though they're in the majority, have to make some form of compromise or concessions. Up here, No compromise, no concessions, And we tend to just return people to office time election after election after election. Why do the political leaders, and I'm talking now about the governor and the attorney general want to take down this site, the mass energy rates site. I assume you're familiar with that, and I want to take a break for news, but i'd like to get your response on that on the other side, and also get some phone calls from my listeners as to what they specifically need to do to maybe get these energy bills down a little bit. I hope you'll be able to respond to some of those questions. So if you can stay with us to a newscast Abby at the bottom of the ar, we'll be right back in about four minutes. Okay, great, Okay, Back with Abbie Foster. She's vice president of the Retail Advancement Energy League, which is working very hard to keep your energy prices down. The cost that you pay every month for whatever energy you have. Now, if you're living in a home that doesn't have electricity and you're lighting by candles, good luck. If you're living in a house that is you're not using heat and you're only using you know, burning wood in a fireplace, there aren't many of you who are doing that. Most of us are paying electric and natural gas bills or some form bill every month. And this is an important conversation and I would love to have you participate. Six one, seven, two, five, four, ten, thirty six one seven nine three, one, ten thirty. Coming right back right after this on Night Side.
Speaker 1: With Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back. My guess is Abbie Foster. She is the vice president of an organization called the Retail Advancement Energy League. We're talking about energy rates here in Massachusetts and in New England for that matter, and maybe even in New York and Pennsylvania and New Jersey anywhere in the coldest part of the region. Are you familiar, Abby, with the stated intention of the political leaders here in Massachusetts to take down the mass energy rates dot com website.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So the legislation has been introduced for a few years now in both the House and Senate that would completely close the residential market and as a result of of course, it would take down the energy switch at a dot gov website and any others that let customers shop easily.
Speaker 2: So my question is, I know most of these political leaders. I've been doing this for a long time in Massachusetts. I know Governor Healy very well. She's a very decent person. I don't think she's an evil person. But I think that these political leaders surround themselves with political constituencies that aren't really functioning in the interest either of the political leaders or the residents of the Koma. Why would they anyone even think of taking down as something as successful as this, which has allowed people over the last thirty years to actually have an impact on how much they're paying for energy. Is what motivation can you divine out of that?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I think it's particularly baffling in this time time of energy prices in Massachusetts, so for example, in twenty twenty two, National Grid went from twelve cents to thirty four cents. I mean, if any time was a good time to go tell customers to shop, that would have been the time. There was really no excuse to be trying to close down the market at that time, and then now still customers and every single utility service territory can save money. But all I know is what they've said, both in media and in testimony. They've said that the volume of complaints is just too much, there's too many customers that are not having a good experience, and that customers don't have the capacity to shop, it's too complicated of a process. But we actually looked at the data on the Attorney General's website on complaints filed against retail energy suppliers, and in twenty twenty three there were ninety total out of four hundred and eight thousand customers, so it was less than one percent. By comparison, the utility industry had three hundred and fifty, cable providers had two hundred, solar three hundred and fifty. So it doesn't make sense that this is the one industry that's being called for to close down based on a number of complaints. And you yourself have a first hand experience knowing that the process is very simple if you just pay attention. And so the other claim about customers not having the capacity or wherewithal to be able to figure this out and benefit from it, I also am a shopper, is I just I find it unfair and not true.
Speaker 2: It almost seems to me that if if we were to compare it, and if this comparison is unfair, please tell me, But it almost seems to me that let's assume we had a very fancy, high priced grocery chain in Massachusetts, and I'm going to say something like Wegmans, which is really a high quality chain and a little bit more expensive to shop. And in Massachusetts we also have another great grocery chain which I tend to shop at whenever I have the opportunity called market Basket, where you can go and find normal, everyday items at substantially less prices, and market Basket happens to be the most popular grocery chain in Massachusetts. When anyone, you know, surveys the public and if all of a sudden there was some sort of grocery chain commission here in Massachusetts and they said, well, not everyone is able to go to market Basket, or not everyone lives within you know, a mile of market Basket. Therefore, we're going to stop people from shopping at market Basket where they can save money, and force them to only go to the grocery store, which is going to cost them a little bit more money. People would be up in arms over that. And what will happen here in Massachusetts is this legislation is going to sit there until sometime probably in August when everybody's not paying attention, and they'll pass it and the governor will sign it into law. And next next fall, when people are looking for this your mass energy rates dot com and that is the side, it'll be gone. And it's so frustrating for me as somebody who has looked at this. I don't have the expertise, the national expertise that you have, but this is a no brainer. It's not a close call. I just don't know how the politicians are going to take this away, but I'm convinced their intent is to take it away, and that they will take it away. Tell me, please tell me I'm wrong.
Speaker 3: I wish I could, but you know what, You're not wrong about being up in arms. We've heard from thousands and thousands of customers across the state. We know of over five thousand customers who have reached out to their legislators. Every single legislator in Massachusetts has heard from their constituents saying, do not take this away. I like the ability to shop. But your analogy is spot on about the grocery shopping. Everyone has different preferences, and actually Massachusetts customers that shop, there's a higher percentage in this state than typically in other states of those that choose premium and value added products, so one hundred percent renewable or an electric vehicle charging plan. And those customers want that, They're willing to pay more. They know the value of it, and they should be allowed to do that, But every year the Attorney General comes out with a report that says, these customers are all getting swindled, they're overpaying for their electricity. But they're comparing all of those value add customers in green premium programs and value add plans against the utility six month contract, and so that data is represented in a certain way to tell a certain story, and it's just not the actual story of what's happening in Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: So ways I might have been confused by that. You're saying that the Attorney General has addressed the people who are paying more for energy because they want to be clean energy. So, for example, I get this in the mail every month, Please switch to whatever the name of the energy company is, and it'll it never tells you what the price is, but it tells you that it will be clean energy. It'll be wind and solar, and you'll feel a lot better knowing that your energy is clean and they don't tell you it's going to be more expensive. Now, there are some people who realize that and say, look, I'm making a statement and I am prepared to pay more for that cleaner quote unquote cleaner energy solar, wind, and maybe a little bit of hydro. But that's a choice that person wants to make. Are you telling me that the Attorney General is looking to take away those choices? I don't think so.
Speaker 8: Yes, she is.
Speaker 3: It's closing the entire market. So anyone enrolled in one hundred percent renewable electric vehicle plans, it's taking everything away. So anything that is offered by a retail energy supplier will no longer be available in the market. You will only have your utility offer, and if you have municipal aggregation, your aggregation offer as well.
Speaker 2: So who does that benefit? Because it would seem to me that if any person who has said they want just you know, quote unquote clean energy, solar energy, when you know, if they say, I want a company that gets all their energy from solar and from wind, I wanted to be one hundred percent clean energy, that that person has a point of view, and they're willing to put their money where their mouth is, and they want to pay a little bit extra or maybe a lot extra, but they feel better about doing that. I don't understand why that choice would be taken away from a person either, Dan.
Speaker 3: You asked the right question, So who would benefit? So you always need to look at where the money, who benefits, and where the money goes, and not every one of the utilities has a green option for customers. National Grid does have green power options that customers can choose from. But it's interesting because there's only a few different types of companies that buy the renewable energy certificates to sell for the utility to make available to customers and to give customers green options. And one of those entities is actually the Green Energy Consumers Alliance and their for profit arm in Massachusetts, and that is one of the loudest advocates on market closure, alongside Thetorney General in the City of Boston and Governor Healey when she was advocating loudly on this as well.
Speaker 2: So why would Green Energy Consortium they want people to have to focus. Why would they join forces with the progressive political leaders to take away options from people across Massachusetts. That's against what they claimed therefore right.
Speaker 3: Right, But they would like to be the only option for green energy options. And I can't speak on their behalf, but that is their business on their for profit side, and that's who supplies the renewable energy certificates for National Grid and for municipal aggregation programs for some REA.
Speaker 2: Okay, so they then they then as a green energy option, would in effect have a monopoly if all the other green energy options on themass rates dot Com website were taken away.
Speaker 3: That's right, it would certainly grow their share of the pie.
Speaker 2: Okay, I got to take a break. I'm hoping that we can get a few phone calls in here to support what you're doing and drive people to your website and drive people to mass Energy Rates dot Com. Ladies and gentlemen, this is simple. This is very very simple. There's not it doesn't take a lot of time. All you have to do is go to the mass energy it's called just basically the mass Energy rates Companny simpler dot com. There's a couple of a couple of steps you have to take, which is self explanatory. I mean a four year old could do this. As a matter of fact, four year olds could probably do this really easily because they're much better on computers than a lot of other people. And you sign up for whatever plan you think is the best. They're basically they're all fixed plans, which is important. You lock it in for a month, for nine months, or six months, twelve months or twenty four and you mark on your calendar. Okay, I got a double check the my energy nine months or six months or twenty four months ahead of time. And as a matter of fact, I believe that these energy companies are now obligated to send you a letter thirty days before. And if I'm wrong here, Abby, please tell me they're obligated to send me a letter or you a letter thirty days and saying your rate with us is about to expire thirty days from now, right or wrong on that?
Speaker 3: That's correct?
Speaker 2: Okay, So you not only should have a little note on your calendar. You don't have to be a brain surgeon or a rocket scientist to do that. And somehow our political leaders want to take choice away and they want to basically handcuff people so they have to pay whatever rate is going to be imposed upon them. So much for progressive politics. Well, take a break. We'll be right back with my guest, Abby Foster. We are switching topics at ten o'clock. So if you'd like to get in and just add your voice to this and tell your friends about this. This is actually something of reform that is good. It will save you some money. It's insane. Massachusetts is now I think insane if they take this particular option away from its its citizenry. We'll be back on Night Side. I got a couple of lines at six one seven, nine three one ten thirty and one at six one seven, two five four ten thirty.
Speaker 1: If you're on Night Side with Dan Ray. I'm Boston's News Radio.
Speaker 2: My guest is Abby Foster. She's a vice president with a group called the Retail Advancement Energy League. And we're talking about choice. We're talking about options, uh and choice and options which the politicians in Massachusetts are about to take away, or they're trying to take away, and it is I think it's obscene. Let me go to CG and Cambridge first. CG, let me get you on here. Welcome, welcome back, How are you very good?
Speaker 8: Thank you. I'll give be a couple of cock questions ahead, please as meet your abbey. I'd like to know if they're getting more rates higher, are they getting more tax money?
Speaker 2: I don't think tax money has much to do with this, to be honest with you, but go ahead, go ahead, Abby, I think I talked to O of you. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: No, we're both saying the same thing. There's there's not a lot of overlap on the tax money, but there is when there's a lot of the programs or additional fees that are collected through the utility. It allows them to what's called rate basic morse, they're allowed to increase rates to collect those costs from you. But there's not a lot on the on the taxes that get that get pulled from this, but.
Speaker 8: It pushes their agenda all electrics are all renewable.
Speaker 2: I don't think so. I really don't think so. I'll see what Abby says that that cg's question, is their agenda all renewable? I don't think so. I don't think so. That we'll see what Abbey says. Go ahead, Abbey.
Speaker 3: Massachusetts does have one of the highest renewable portfolio standards in the country. So I noted before sixty three percent of the electricity that the utility cells or the supplier cells has to be from very specific renewable energy resources within the state or region. And so that does increase costs. And there has been a big push on electrification in Massachusetts and on energy efficiency, and for those programs, there is a line item in your electric bill that you pay for to fund those programs. But all of that is decided by the legislature, not by the utility. So they're just collecting on the required programs that the legislature has decided.
Speaker 2: The other thing, CG. Is this is almost the analogy that I use, and I don't think it's wrong. If they said to you, okay, c G, where do you shop? And if you said to them, look, I like to go to market Basket. If they said to you, well, CG, you live in Cambridge and we want you to go to Trader Joe's, and uh, if you said, well, gee, there's products I can't get at Trader Joe's that I need to get at market Basket, well you got you can't go to market Basket, but you've got to go to Trader Joe's or you know, some of the more specialty stores. How would most people react to that?
Speaker 8: Do you think, Well, against the politicians are working against the constituents of this state. They're looking at for the rome boiled good whatever they want.
Speaker 2: I happen to agree with you. And again I'm not trying to drag Abby into this part of the conversation, but uh, we we are a state up here, which is a pro choice state. Okay, we we believe that people should be able to live their lives, uh, in terms of their their choices, in terms of partners and and spouses and on all all sorts of issues. We're pro choice. But this is one pro choice item that they want to take away from us, and they want to say to us, they're going to diminish the options that everyone has for electric supply charges. They want to take that away, which was given to us by the state. Ironically, and this is run by the state, which was intended to keep the cost down. It is mystifying to me. It is mystifying. CJ. Thank you so much. I appreciate your call. Very good. Thank you, good good questions call more often. Will let me go next to Jim, Jim, I'm going to sneak in here for a couple of minutes at the end of the hour. Go right ahead. You're own with Abby Foster with the Retail Advancement Energy League. Go ahead, Jim.
Speaker 9: Well, without knowing all the details, just generally speaking, it sounds to me like as a function of the fact that the government requires the mono, the regulated monopolies to subject to regulation by a public utilities board, then they aside from that regulation, they would have an obligation to stay out of.
Speaker 7: Out of the game, I mean right, I mean they're kind of like double dipping. That's what it sounds like to me.
Speaker 2: Abbe you want to unravel that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So in a state that allows competition, where they broke up the utility monopoly. In most of the states except for Texas, the utility is still your default supplier. So if you don't shop, if you don't make an option proactively, you can still get your supply from your utility. But they're that's not really a revenue generator for them. They're purchasing from the market and making it available to customers. But that's really why customers should be using the benefit of their choice and going out there and looking for the best option possible, because oftentimes the utility is not the best option possible, and certainly not if you're looking for cost savings. There are offers in every single utility service territory below the utility rate six rate offers that you could enroll in and save money.
Speaker 7: Okay, well, my mistake. I didn't know that Massachusetts has went regulated. I know here in Missouri, uh.
Speaker 9: Whatever, whatever utility is providing electricity in your area, that's who you buy it from, or else you don't get in.
Speaker 2: Well you have you had that here you have. I live in an area for my electricity where in the community. If I only get it from ever source, I don't have a choice. I can't go to another big supplier ever source. However I can go on the supply issue. I can't have a choice on distribution, But on the supply issue, I can go to right now, clear View Direct Energy, others, others, Constellation, and they want to take that option away. And once competition is taken away, what do you think the big energy companies are going to do?
Speaker 7: And I'm not trying to I'm not trying to start an argument, just trying to.
Speaker 2: Think you're not starting and all. I think we're singing from the same song page. But unfortunately we're now flat out of time. Thanks Jim, as always, I appreciate it, Thank you much, Abby, thank you. How can folks get more information? And again, I'm frankly disappointed that more people aren't didn't call and support what we're trying to do, because all we're trying to do is save people some money. Other energy costs. Ye, but I think the politicians read something like that and say people don't care. So if that's what happens in Massachusetts, let the people deal with it. How can folks get in touch with your group and get more information?
Speaker 3: So real quick, I just have good news for that last caller. There's actually legislation introduced in Missouri, but in both the House and Senate, to break up the utility monopoly and bring choice to that state. So you can get ahold of us on our website and ask questions about that Missouri caller. But if you want more information about Massachusetts and to get involved, to tell your legislator to protect your energy choice, go to support Energy Choice dot com slash Massachusetts.
Speaker 2: Support energy Choice dot com forward slash Massachusetts. Thanks so much. I really do appreciate it, Abby, Thank you so much. You're great spokesman, and I hope we can wake people up here as simple as that. Thanks so much. Talking about waking people up, we're gonna talk about getting asleep on the other side of the hour, on the other side of the ten o'clock news. Stay with us here on nightside, wake up people