Speaker 1: Full trial audio everything hurting court no silences to skip.
Speaker 2: Good morning you run America see yes please you want to before the court today. We have the matter of Commonwealth versus Lindsay Clancy. Miss Clancy is present. She is represented by Attorney Kevin Runnington. The Commonwealth is represented by Assistant District Attorney Jennifer Sprague and Assistant District Attorney Shannon Buckingham.
Speaker 1: All right, well, good morning council, Good morning, miss Clancy. All right, before we bring the jury, could I speak to the council.
Speaker 3: Just for a couple of minutes day.
Speaker 4: Hey, hey, before the Honorable William.
Speaker 1: Sullivan just saying.
Speaker 5: Tennis Shelby.
Speaker 4: Your say of Massachusetts is closed session.
Speaker 6: Yes, want to before the court today.
Speaker 2: We have the continuation of the Jerry Trial and the matter of Commonwealth versus Lindsay Clancy. Miss Clancy is present. She is represented by Attorney Kevin Runnington. The Commonwealth is represented by Assistant District Attorney Jennafus Fragg and Assistant District Attorney Shannon Buckingham.
Speaker 1: All right, well, good morning again, nice to see everyone, Thank you for being here. What we're going to do, They're going to ask you those questions again, and then we'll go over to the schedule. We forget we are not you are not sitting there, okay, and that's not going.
Speaker 7: To change, so you can count on that.
Speaker 1: So let me ask you that at this point, is any member of the jury red seat heard or over anything from any source about any aspect of this case that would affect your ability to be fear and impartial as a juror. Next, is there any other serious matter of concern bearing on your service as a juror in this case anybody needs to bring.
Speaker 7: To my attention?
Speaker 1: Great, thank you again for following those instructions. And what we're going to do is we're going to return to the car I'm Well's case. Uh and like I said, we are not uh gonna be You're not going to be sitting this afternoon. The plan, and I'll double check who we get to that point, would be to return tomorrow at nine o'clock, uh, and pretty much uh, relatively full day tomorrow and probably Friday as well. But I'll double check as we go through that, all right, uh, And I'll let you know as soon as I can.
Speaker 7: If there's any changes to that schedule.
Speaker 1: So with that, I'm going to ask the car well to call their next witness.
Speaker 2: Come up.
Speaker 5: The calls eton degree.
Speaker 8: Well, lots of stuff.
Speaker 6: Please see.
Speaker 3: All right, good morning, sir, Good morning, sir.
Speaker 1: I just asked you to speak into that microphone.
Speaker 7: Sure, all right, Bucky, please thank you.
Speaker 6: Good morning, sir, Good morning. Could you please all the jersey your first and last name.
Speaker 7: My first name is Aton, last name is Negri.
Speaker 6: Can you spell your first name for the record, E I, T A N and your last name.
Speaker 8: N E G R I.
Speaker 6: And what do you do for work?
Speaker 9: I'm a physician associate physician assistant.
Speaker 6: And did you go to school for that yes? Can you tell us about your educational background.
Speaker 9: I did my undergraduate at City College in New York and I did a post back at Brooklyn College, followed by a pay program at Tory University in Manhattan.
Speaker 10: And do you.
Speaker 6: Currently work as a physician's assistant?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 6: And do you work currently work in the state of Massachusetts?
Speaker 7: No, ma'am.
Speaker 6: Are you licensed in the state of Massachusetts?
Speaker 10: Yes?
Speaker 6: At your licensed in any other states?
Speaker 7: New York state.
Speaker 6: I'm going to go back to January of twenty twenty three. Were you working in Massachusetts then?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 6: And where were you.
Speaker 7: Working Brigham and Women's Hospital.
Speaker 6: And were you in that sam role as a physician's assistant.
Speaker 7: Yes?
Speaker 6: And what were you doing? What were your general duties in that role working at Bergham and Women's.
Speaker 9: Generally, you assess a patient, you diagnose, you formulate a plan with an attending physician, and you execute that plan throughout the day and encompasses various things.
Speaker 6: Were you working in any particular department at Bergham and Women's back in January of twenty twenty.
Speaker 7: Three the Trauma Burne Surgical ICU.
Speaker 6: Now, I'm gonna draw your attention to a particular patient that came into the Brigham and Women's Hospital on January twenty fourth of twenty twenty three. That patient was Lindsay Clancy. Do you recall encountering this patient on January twenty fifth of twenty twenty three?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: And what did you do as it pertained to the care and treatment of this patient?
Speaker 9: I received the information from the shift before me, formulated a plan, examined her, assessed her staff, that plan with the attending physician, and executed that plan throughout the day.
Speaker 6: And fair to say, this particular patient had injuries that you were directed to. You observe, review, form that plan on correct What were the injuries?
Speaker 9: She had multiple injuries, The most acute were injuries that were requiring consultation with other services. And the ones that I directly managed were the lacerations to her risks and her just to risks.
Speaker 6: Actually, And as far as when you say she had other acute injuries, you were not involved in the care of her for those, correct.
Speaker 9: I was involved in the care that involved consulting other services to manage those.
Speaker 8: Things, yes, okay.
Speaker 6: And as far as any sort of repair work that you were doing as a physician's assistant working with the trauma surgeons, what repair work were you assigned to do?
Speaker 7: Laceration repair?
Speaker 6: And on this particular patient, where were the injuries or lacerations that you were going to repair.
Speaker 9: She had multiple lacerations on both of her wrists. She had superficial on her neck which I did not repair.
Speaker 6: And as it pertained to the risks, did you go through that process of observing, reviewing, coming up with the plan, and then repairing those injuries?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: And were you directed to do that by any particular doctor.
Speaker 7: Not necessarily directed.
Speaker 9: A lot of those things fall within my scope, and since they were less acute, they kind of filled down the chain to me.
Speaker 6: Okay, and you're aware that she was being seen and treated by a host of other doctors, nurses, an entire team. Yes, as it pertains to the risk injuries, what did you do to examine those those areas?
Speaker 7: The first thing I do is assess the location.
Speaker 9: Then I assessed the severity whether it requires intervention by someone other than myself. And this is instance it did not, so that I proceed with just kind of protocol laceration repair.
Speaker 6: Where when would it be a situation where you'd need somebody else to intervene if.
Speaker 9: It required surgical intervention or suture and repair beyond my skill set?
Speaker 7: In this instance, it did not, okay.
Speaker 6: And so referring to these particular injuries, when you observe them, did you observe any areas of active bleeding?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: And fair to say they had been treated by nurses and other staff prior to you encountering these injuries.
Speaker 9: Correct, Yes, they were dressed and covered before I got there.
Speaker 6: Now, when you assessed them, you noted that they were bilateral. Correct, Yes, what does that mean?
Speaker 9: It means on both sides of the body, So both risks okay.
Speaker 6: And so referring to the right wrist, what were your observations of the injuries to the right wrist?
Speaker 9: The right wrist as far as my reference to the note is that she had a few lacerations, one of which was severe and deep enough to repair, and fare.
Speaker 6: To say that that right wrist injury was the one that you repaired, was three centimeters deep approximately.
Speaker 9: If that's what my note says, then that's that's what it.
Speaker 8: Was, okay.
Speaker 6: And on a wrist or this area of the risk where you observe the injuries that depth of three centimeters did that require further surgical intervention or were you able to suture that area?
Speaker 7: I was able to future that area.
Speaker 9: As far as what happened subsequent to that, I wasn't there, so I'm not sure, okay.
Speaker 6: And how many sutures did you use to repair that injury?
Speaker 7: I believe three?
Speaker 6: And in relation to any other cuts or lacerations that were on that right wrist, did any other of those lacerations require suturing?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: How did you treat those other injuries.
Speaker 9: Just irrigation meaning cleaning them out and then using the type of tape to close them shut.
Speaker 6: And that's generally referred to as a stary strip. Correct.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 6: They approached thelitness.
Speaker 5: Showing you two photographs.
Speaker 6: Those photographs depict the repairs of the sutures that you did on the right wrist, and Lindsay Clancy I've.
Speaker 7: Mentioned may be admitted.
Speaker 6: And I'm just gonna show on the screen which now been marked is exhibit to zero one and you should be able to see it, sir, on the screen in front of you. Can you see that?
Speaker 3: Yes? Okay?
Speaker 5: And so this is the right rist correct?
Speaker 7: Correct?
Speaker 5: And those black lines in the middle of the photograph.
Speaker 6: Are those of the sutures that you did. Correct And just showing you QO two Exhibit KO two. These white strips that are all around the injury are those the starry strips correct. Now on the left wrist, do you recall what the observed to be the injuries on that wrist?
Speaker 7: I believe there was a similar.
Speaker 9: Laceration, just shorter in length that required fewer features.
Speaker 6: And fair to say if your notes reflect that the left wrist one had one meaning just a singular two centimeter deep linear cut, that that would have been what your observations were of the injury that you repaired. And how many sutures did that injury require? And were there other areas that you observed that had some sort of laceration I.
Speaker 9: Believe similarly just superficial ones that needed stereous trips.
Speaker 6: And again in treating this particular injury when you came upon it was their active bleeding or any concern that you needed more intervention other than.
Speaker 7: A suture at that time, no, show.
Speaker 6: That's familiar to you. Yes, And are those the future that you did on the left wrist of Lindsay.
Speaker 1: Right be admitted or they may be admitted, thank you.
Speaker 6: And now again just showing what's been now marked is exhibit to zero three and you see the injury there and on the risk near the ruler in the photograph. Yes, And Exhibit two O four, which is just a closer upshot of that is that crack? Yes, and again you see the white strips. Those are also starry strips that were applied.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 6: Now in relation to any of these ones on the right or the left wrist, did you observe the lacerations to go any deeper than the subcutaneous tissue.
Speaker 7: On my observation?
Speaker 6: Now, and when we talk sub cutaneous tissue, we're talking about that fatty tissue on your underneath your skin? Correct?
Speaker 7: Correct?
Speaker 6: And did you have to return at any point to your knowledge to readdress these issues or do any further laceration orpair as it pertained to this patient on that shift. No, do you recall if you did on any other shift?
Speaker 7: No, have no further questions.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 3: It's is it, mister Negri?
Speaker 7: Agree, yes, sir?
Speaker 3: And you're not a doctor a physician assistant? Is that what it is?
Speaker 8: That's correct?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 4: And how long had you worked for Brigham and Women's prior to seeing Lindsay Clancy that on January twenty four, twenty three.
Speaker 9: I believe I was in my second year of employment with Briga my Women's.
Speaker 3: Okay, And you got to keep your voice up because people.
Speaker 9: Back here have to be able to believe I was in my second year of employment and bring them with Women's.
Speaker 4: You're not suggesting for one minute that after you did your butterfly stitches, Lindsay could have got up and walked out the.
Speaker 3: Door of the hospital, right, no, sir.
Speaker 4: And would you agree with me that, in fact, she was critically ill when you saw her, right yes, sir? And she certainly wasn't critically ill from COVID or a flu or something like that, right, like, good morning, sir, thank you.
Speaker 6: Good morning, good morning. Could you please tell the Jersier first and last.
Speaker 11: Name, It's Nicholas Roberts And where do you currently work. I work for a company called Thermo Fisher.
Speaker 6: What is that?
Speaker 10: What do they do?
Speaker 11: They sell plenty of laboratory based products, including refrigeration, They sell solvents, They do instruments as well.
Speaker 6: Prior to working for that company, did you work for the Massachusettstate Police Crime Lab?
Speaker 8: I did?
Speaker 6: In What unit did you work for the crime lab?
Speaker 8: I was in the toxicology unit.
Speaker 6: How long did you work for the crime lab?
Speaker 8: For about nine years?
Speaker 6: And in working for the crime lab, what kind of training and experience did you have to work in the toxicology unit?
Speaker 11: So, prior to being hired, I have both a bachelor's and a master's degree in applied forensic science sort of concentration in chemistry and toxicology. I also have the masters is in forensic toxicology.
Speaker 8: While being hired.
Speaker 11: On the job, they provide training for all the in house stuff that we test for, which includes not only a theory based training, but also practical stuff so that you can analyze and run all the tests that we do in house.
Speaker 6: And as far as your work in the toxicology unit, for to say, in January of twenty twenty three or February of twenty twenty three, you were what's referred to as a forensic scientist too, correct. Yes, And throughout your time at the Massachusetts State Police Crime Lab, did you have to undergo competency tests and proficiency tests?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: And why is that? Why do you have to do that?
Speaker 8: So mainly it's the.
Speaker 3: I don't get one, Okay, I'm just saying I know he's qualified.
Speaker 4: I have no problem with his credentials and his testimony.
Speaker 6: Council, thank you, sir. In working at the State Police Crime Lab, did you just work in the toxicology unit or did you work in any other units in your time there?
Speaker 8: No, only in toxicology.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 6: Now, as it pertains to the toxicology unit, I'm fair to say the State Police Crime Lab has a specific set of protocols and procedures that are followed in every case.
Speaker 8: Ah.
Speaker 6: Yes, And at that time, in February of twenty twenty three, was the State Police Crime lab using the batch review process. Yes, and so when the state police use this process, there are a number of different technicians or forensic scientists that work on any given case.
Speaker 8: Is that fair to say yes?
Speaker 6: And at the end of it, one analyst is respect possible for reviewing all the data and authoring or report.
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: And based on your training experience, if you're that person reviewing the data and authoring and the report, do you have the ability to interpret some of the data in the report?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 6: Or data in the testing, I should say.
Speaker 11: Ah, Yes, we review all the data that is provided within the case file.
Speaker 6: And did you, during your time at the crime lab. In the toxicology unit stay up to date on various types of drugs and quantifications of those drugs and what that could mean for levels in a person's blood or urine.
Speaker 11: Yes, they keep us up to date on drugs that are commonly used.
Speaker 6: So one of the roles in the toxicology unit is for you to report whether substances are detected in blood in urine. Is that fair to say?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: And at some point are you also called on to interpret interpret the levels?
Speaker 11: So we in blood we report values, so we get concentrations of the different drugs that we mainly report them in blood and as far as.
Speaker 6: The concentration levels themselves, did you have training and experience on interpreting those levels?
Speaker 11: We usually get training on the effects of the drugs.
Speaker 8: It's hard to say with some.
Speaker 11: With some drugs as well as some people, what one level might mean for one person. It might differ and you have different effects on another.
Speaker 6: Okay, I'm fair to say that's a limitation of just reviewing blood and not knowing anything else about.
Speaker 8: A case, right that.
Speaker 6: Yes, at the toxicology unit, at the crime level, is there a limitation as to how or what types of drugs can actually be quantified or given concentration levels? Ah?
Speaker 8: Yes, we only quantify and drugs.
Speaker 6: And what happens if there are other drugs present and there's a request for quantification or concentration levels, what does your lab do with that?
Speaker 8: Usually there sends out another lab in order for testing.
Speaker 6: And are you familiar with the NMS lab?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: Is that or was that at that time a common lab that would be sent drugs that you could not quantify in your lab.
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 8: Yes, I'm going to.
Speaker 6: Direct your attention to the lab number of twenty three DASH zero one excuse me, zero one seven two three. It's a case that you were the reporting analyst on correct Yes, and fair to say that there were several items that were submitted to the toxicology unit as specimens, yes, including blood, plasma, and urine.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 6: And did you work with other members of the toxicology unit to have that those sub those speciman's screened and then further tested?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 8: Yes, the batch process was followed.
Speaker 6: And as far as any screening test, did you yourself do any screening tests on these items?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 6: What screening test?
Speaker 8: Did you do? The screening for the alcohol and was there.
Speaker 6: Any alcohol present? And in this screening for alcohol, does it just tell you whether it was detected or not detected? Yes, and so when you don't have a result, there's nothing further to do. Correct Now. As far as the blood that was tested in this case in the urine, you were aware that there were tests, screening tests done for what's called the elizas screen, benzodiazepines and general unknown screens for these samples.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 8: Yes, that's usually a protocol.
Speaker 6: And in any of the circumstances, were there positive results yes? And as it pertained to the positive results, what's your understanding of what was positive.
Speaker 11: Uh So, to my knowledge, it was positive for the benzodae as a beam panel in Eliza that would have gotten further confirmatory testing done on it to see the levels as well as the individual types of benzos that were present in the blood.
Speaker 8: And the same was for the urine as well.
Speaker 11: We also identified a few substances via our general unknown screen which was confirmed in blood and urine.
Speaker 6: As far as is your agreement as to.
Speaker 1: Yes, whose blood is being tested at this point, just by the number, yes, it may be easier for everybody for the true to follow.
Speaker 6: So would youonna just like you to read the results?
Speaker 7: No, just instead of referring to it by a number. Well, let me see it.
Speaker 6: Sid, I tell you that your report was previously enters as Exhibit one eighty three. Have you had the opportunity to review report before coming today. Yes, And so the lab number that we've been referring to, you're aware that the person associated with that lab number was actually a woman by the name of Lindsay Clancy. Yes, okay, Now, as far as the testing that was done, you receive results to the positive benzidiazepines in the screen, and then it was confirmed correct?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 6: How many benzodiazepines were present?
Speaker 3: There were.
Speaker 8: At least four or five okay?
Speaker 6: And were you able to get concentration levels from the blood samples after that screen and the confirmatory tests?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 6: And again already in evidence. But the toxicology report for item ten dash one zero one on the blood with those benzodiazepines, there's diazepam correct, noro diazepam yes, oxazapam, tamasa pam yes, and lazy. And as far as your review of the testing on those substances and the concentration levels, did anything about any of those levels stand out to you as far as based on your training and experience, uh?
Speaker 8: Only that they were reportable?
Speaker 6: Okay. Are you familiar whether they're in any sort of therapeutic level for any of those drugs?
Speaker 8: I'm not sure Okay.
Speaker 6: You mentioned there were also other substances that were detected in the general unknown screen correct, Yes, And that would have been martazepine, uh LA, matrogen, catiapine, cathiopine, metabolite, and trasidone and words, was your lab able to get concentration levels for those?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 6: And so what did you do or what was done with the samples or the specimens as it pertained to those substances.
Speaker 8: To minology of the sense MS labs.
Speaker 6: And you've previously stated that you are trained on effects of the of certain types of drugs, but your limitation is you don't know how it affects a particular individual. Correct. Correct, these particular five benzodiazepines, do you know where they fall in the type of drug what the general effects of those drugs are?
Speaker 11: So benzos tend to be central nervous system depressence, okay.
Speaker 6: And the ones that were detected, but you don't have the levels for mataspine and the list I read what category are those drugs?
Speaker 11: Those tend to be also be central nervous system depressence. Quotipene in particular, as you usually known that bipolar disorders gets aw and as.
Speaker 6: It pertains to the presence of the five dia five bens of diazepines, your testing is limited that you don't know whether that was from one medication or multiple medications. Correct.
Speaker 11: Correct, Because the nordazepam outside of PAM and timasimam tend to be metabolites of diazepam.
Speaker 6: No further questions.
Speaker 3: You raising.
Speaker 8: How you doing that's about it, So.
Speaker 3: All right, just a couple of brief questions.
Speaker 4: First of all, would you this would be a blood sample that was taken from Lindsay on a particular like one day.
Speaker 3: This is not a panel of a bunch of different samples.
Speaker 11: Right to my knowledge, there would have been a few different tests tubes submitted to us. Yes, I'm not familiar with these specific ones, like if they were done over a Spanish span of time, but usually there.
Speaker 4: Yes, and you'd agree with me that that's a fairly large number of drugs and metabolites that are in that particular blood sample. Right, I've seen more, I'm sure, but nevertheless, that's still a large number of drugs.
Speaker 8: Though, right, Yeah, that's quite a few.
Speaker 4: And you don't know, as a working your job for the state police at that time, you don't know how many of these drugs are coming from scripts, prescriptions and things of that nature.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: No, one of the things that you had mentioned metabolites And you said that because the district attorney asked you about different benza diazepines, this PAM, that PAM, this PAM, that PAM, and then you responded and said, yeah, but there's a lot of metabolites involved.
Speaker 3: In that, right, What does that mean?
Speaker 11: So a metabolite is just a breakdown of anything, usually by the body. So you have what we call a parent drug, and the body, if you ingest that body would then break it down or put it into a more digestible form in order to get rid of it.
Speaker 4: Okay, So when you have a number of metabolites, For example, someone may may have a prescription for am atripolene or a prescription for zoloft or at a vent or something, and they take the pill and it's in the system, and then over time it would metabolize and they'd be different PAMs or whatever it is that would break down into the into the blood.
Speaker 3: Is that right?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 3: How about.
Speaker 4: Tetrahydrocannabinols THC marijuana?
Speaker 3: What was the level on that?
Speaker 8: To my knowledge, you didn't find any no marijuana? Right? Correct?
Speaker 3: Thank you very much, sir, to.
Speaker 7: Be bucking any redirect. All right, thank you, sir, Sit down with me.
Speaker 10: Come you're in our this time.
Speaker 6: Upon agreement, i'd ask to admit as the next exhibit, just a chart that the parties have agreed upon that lists the brand names of some of the rugs that have been spoken about the course of the trial as well as what they were also known as for the ease of the jurors.
Speaker 1: So by by agreement that may be admitted, the Commonwealth.
Speaker 5: Would call doctor Jonathan Brower as its next fitness.
Speaker 3: Can you stop right here, raise your right after the clerk place.
Speaker 8: Good morning, doctor, good morning.
Speaker 1: Ask you to keep your voice up so the jury can hear you.
Speaker 10: And with that, council thank you.
Speaker 6: Good morning.
Speaker 10: Sir.
Speaker 6: Can you please tell the jurors your first and last name.
Speaker 7: It's Justin Burrower B R O W E R.
Speaker 6: And what do you do for work?
Speaker 2: Sir?
Speaker 7: I'm a forensic toxicologist for n MS Laboratories.
Speaker 6: And where's that laboratory located.
Speaker 7: The laboratory is located in Horsham, Pennsylvania, just north Philadelphia.
Speaker 6: And what does your laboratory do?
Speaker 7: We are a reference laboratory. We do post mortem work, clinical work, and forensic drug work. So primarily my role is on the forensic side. I'm a forensic toxicologist.
Speaker 6: And does your lab receive specimens from all across the country.
Speaker 7: We do. We have clients in all fifty states. We do approximately half of the post mortem work in the United States as well. As a large number of clinical clients.
Speaker 6: And is your lab accredited across several states and across the country.
Speaker 7: We are because we deal with, you know, all the states in the United States, all the states in the country. We are accredited by just about every accrediting body that I'm aware of in the clinical and forensic aspects, as well as a lot of state certifications. So a lot of states have their own requirements. The most notable one is like New York States, So it did by again, every crediting and body that I'm aware of. And how long have you worked for NMS Laboratory Four years as of August first. And what's your educational background as a forensic toxicology So I have a PhD in organic chemistry. Where did you get that from the University of Nevada?
Speaker 6: And do you have any other professional experience in this field prior to working for NMS.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 7: Before joining NMS Laboratories, I was a laboratory supervisor and then forensic toxicologist for the North Carolina Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, which is a statewide system. So we did the post mortem toxicology work for all one hundred counties of the state of North Carolina.
Speaker 6: And when it comes to your role in the forensic area of doing the toxicology testing, what is your role in the NMS lab when it comes to cases that come to the laboratory for forensic analysis.
Speaker 7: So when a case comes into NMS and is logged in and the assigned or the requested tests assigned and then run and reviewed multiple times in the laboratory. When all that testing is completed, it comes to the toxicology department, and my role is to review every aspect of that case. So I'm making sure that everything on the toxicology report is complete and accurate, such as all the demographic information that we have available to us, you know, the name of the scedent or the patient date of birth where it's from the specimens that we received. And then also that all of the everything that is reported is complete and accurate, making sure that all the drugs that were tested for are reported, that the reported concentrations are correct and accurate, and looking at every piece of raw data accumulated from the laboratory with that case associated with that case.
Speaker 6: Fair to say, the NMS laboratory uses a batch reviewow.
Speaker 7: That is correct, So we not only run the cases in bashes, So we don't run one case at a time. That's not very efficient. I don't really know of any laboratory that does that anymore. So we will run cases, you know, ten, fifteen, you know, thirty or forty at a time.
Speaker 6: So as far as running particular tested tests and getting the broad data that's usually done by other people in the laboratory, correct, that is correct, and then you come in at the end and review everything and have the ability to interpret the data that is correct. Your training and experience as a forensic tex psychologist does that allow you to interpret concentration levels of particular types of drugs?
Speaker 8: It does.
Speaker 6: Now. As far as the testing done at NMS laboratories, the traditional testing is kind of the drug testing, the panels for different common drugs correct, And typically we have.
Speaker 7: A client's request panels to be run where we're looking for, you know, multiple drugs and classes of drugs at a time.
Speaker 6: But are there circumstances when outside laboratories or outside individuals retain your lab in order to run specific tests.
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 7: Absolutely.
Speaker 6: Now I'm going to draw your attention to this particular case, where was your laboratory provided a blood sample from the Massachusetts State Police Crime Lab in April of twenty twenty three, I.
Speaker 7: Believe, so, I'd really like to see the toxicology report so I can just confirm all of that. Please, sure, sure, Thank you so much, Hang on to that.
Speaker 8: It's fine.
Speaker 3: Correct.
Speaker 7: Where we received the specimens on April seventh, twenty twenty.
Speaker 6: Three, and it came from the Massachusettstate Police Crime Lab.
Speaker 7: No, I don't know where they were initially sent from, but the clients or the submitting agency is the District Attorney's Office of Plymouth.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 6: Now, as it pertains to the requested testing that was done, was it that panel that you described or was it more specific testing?
Speaker 7: This is what we call direct testing where they requested just four specific drugs to be tested for.
Speaker 6: And what were the four specific tests requested?
Speaker 7: Lamotrogene, mertazapine, katiapene, and trasidone.
Speaker 6: Are you familiar with those substances or those drugs, yes, ma'am, And you reviewed all of the data and information done at your lab in regards to these tests, correct, yes, ma'am. Were they able to identify concentration levels in the sample that was submitted for each one.
Speaker 7: Of those four substances, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 6: And for the first can you tell us what the result was?
Speaker 7: Would you like me just run down the list? Sure, we detected lamotrogene and concentrate of six point one micrograms per milli leader, martazapine at a concentration of two hundred I'm sorry, two hundred nanograms, Permela Leader, katia pen at a concentration of eighteen hundred nanograms Permella Leader, and trazodone at a concentration of zero point four four micrograms permili leader. And these are all in blood, in blood.
Speaker 6: And so with each each drug that you just listed, are you familiar with what the common name is for the drugs?
Speaker 7: I'm not always that great with common names, but I can wing it okay.
Speaker 6: Well, the lamotrigene and forgive me if I watch the that's okay. The pronunciation that's also referred to commonly as lamexp it is correct limental. What kind of drug is that?
Speaker 7: It's typically used as an anti seizure medication, so if somebody has a seizure disorder, it can be prescribed to alleviate seizures, but it's also used for bipolar disorder as well.
Speaker 6: And mertazepine. Fair to say that's commonly referred to as rmarn Correct? And what kind of drug is that?
Speaker 7: That isn't typically an antidepressant?
Speaker 6: And catiopine, what's what's that?
Speaker 7: Commontiopene is known as siraquel and for.
Speaker 6: To say that's an antipsychotic as well for esspolar Yes, ma'am. Are you familiar with whether that often can be prescribed in low doses for sleep?
Speaker 8: It is?
Speaker 7: It can be for insomnia?
Speaker 6: And trazodone. What's the common name for trazodone?
Speaker 7: If you know, I am drawing a blank on the trazodone.
Speaker 6: If I suggest trasamine, is that familiar?
Speaker 7: Not the one I'm most familiar with?
Speaker 6: And I apologize that it's okay, But you're familiar with trasidone?
Speaker 3: Correct?
Speaker 6: And what class of drug is that?
Speaker 7: That's an anti depressant?
Speaker 6: Now, in your review of the levels that were detected in these four tests for each of these substances, do any of these levels appear to be outside therapeutic concentration levels?
Speaker 7: The only one that's a little elevated would be the tap. Okay, So we're gonna take a very short break at this time.
Speaker 1: All right, So this would be a short break and we'll come right.
Speaker 10: Back, all right, all right, place, all right, we would be.
Speaker 1: Right, This would be a short break, just for a short recess.
Speaker 8: Will come right back.
Speaker 7: Hopefully not.
Speaker 6: Yeah, doctor Brower. Before we broke, we mentioned the term therapeutic concentration. You familiar with that term, correct? What does that mean?
Speaker 7: It's the typical concentration that one would achieve when they're taking the medication or drug as indicated by their prescriber.
Speaker 6: And are you familiar with toxic concentrations or suicidal concentrations and what does that mean?
Speaker 7: Those are concentrations that could lead to adverse events and potentially death.
Speaker 6: Now, in relation to the four substances that were tested at the NMS laboratory, you identified the levels for each of the four substances. Were any of those sub levels, excuse me, concentration levels considered within therapeutic concentration?
Speaker 7: It would all be in what I would say therapeutic concentration, except maybe the katapene, which is slightly elevated.
Speaker 8: Okay.
Speaker 6: And in your experience as a forensic toxicologist, have you had the occasion to review cases post mortem cases in which suicide was a mechanism of death where the person consumed medication.
Speaker 7: Absolutely, yes, And so.
Speaker 10: That level of the.
Speaker 6: Kittiapine at the eight hundred nanogram's permillar leader was would that have been in that toxic or suicidal level?
Speaker 7: No, ma'am.
Speaker 6: Would you generally expect to see that a significantly greater in a suicide case?
Speaker 7: Typically gittiopenes and suicide cases might be in the you know, close to ten thousand nanograms for male leader. Usually people take handfuls of pills when they're trying to harm themselves and take their own life, and this is not consistent with that.
Speaker 6: Now, are you also familiar in your training and experience with the class of drugs called benzodiazepines, Yes, ma'am. And do you have the occasion to interpret data as it pertains to concentration levels for.
Speaker 7: Those every single day?
Speaker 6: And as far as the substances diazepam, nora diazepam, ox oxapam, tams apam, laurazapam, you're familiar with those, I am, And it's fair to say nora, diazepam, oaspam, temasi pam, those are all metabolites of diazepam.
Speaker 7: Typically, yes, ma'am.
Speaker 6: And what's the common name for diazepam valium? If I show you what's been marked is exhibit one eight three already Can you see that on the screen beside you?
Speaker 7: I can, yes, right there?
Speaker 6: Can you see the levels?
Speaker 7: They're all blurry?
Speaker 12: There you go.
Speaker 7: My sight is not great too, So okay, so that's perfect that I can do with the auto focus.
Speaker 13: Don't touch it any anything about the levels that you observed here regarding those substances benzodiazepines that tell you that they're outside therapeutic concentration levels.
Speaker 7: The diazepam and the nordays of pam, oxyzopam and tamazapam metabolites. The diatapam looks to be sub therapeutic, meaning lower than what is typically expected from a therapeutic dose. Most therapeutic doses of diazepam, which is an which is an angiolytic drug or an anti anxiety drug are typically you know, two hundred two hundred and fifty thereabouts nanogram permil leader the lerazepam, depending upon the dose, could be a therapeutic concentration if not maybe a little bit lower than expected.
Speaker 6: Now when you're reviewing these cases, as the reporting forensic toxicologist. Are there limitations on what you can say about the effects of these types of metal cations.
Speaker 7: We can speak as to the general effects that drugs can have on the general population, but we try to restrict ourselves from saying with absolute certainty that a drug will have this effect on this specific person because we just aren't there to witness their behavior.
Speaker 6: Okay, so that was kind of the follow up.
Speaker 7: So I'm sorry.
Speaker 6: What are the things that you are the unknowns for you when you're just looking at data we.
Speaker 7: Did when we say that we can't do toxicology in a vacuum. You can't know everything about the case just by looking at numbers on the toxicology report and drugs on toxicology report. You need other information to have an informed opinion. In the post mortem world, that would be the investigation itself, the history of the case, the scene findings, you know, interviews with you know, families and friends of the decedents as all, as well as autopsy findings. Well, in a case like this where it's not a decedent and the person is alive, you still need to know some facts of the case, some sort of history of the case, like what happened so just numbers on a page, you can just make very generalize types of opinions such as that looks to be therapeutic, it looks to be high, it looks to be low, and then again just the general effects on the drugs on people.
Speaker 6: And in this particular instance, you were not provided any further information about the case or the investigation in order to make any more opinions about effects.
Speaker 7: I knew nothing about this case until we spoke. I think it was probably a few weeks ago.
Speaker 6: And as far as the information available to you, you only had the data from the specimen that was tested, correct, that.
Speaker 7: Is correct, just these four drugs that were requested to be tested for.
Speaker 6: And as far as the drugs of the four drugs that were tested by your lab, what are the general characteristics of some of those drugs.
Speaker 7: So these are generally antidepressants and antipsychotic medications. So if somebody had well the remote gene, if somebody has a bipolar disorder like wide wild mood swings, depressive episodes, or anti psychotic or psychotic episodes, these drugs could be prescribed. They also have depressant effects, so they could make people become lethargic, or or sleepy okay.
Speaker 4: And would have known that if somebody had told you that, but you don't know it from looking at the numbers that we have here right.
Speaker 7: Correct as possible, if they would have given us that information. We don't always need to have it though, Can I just see it again?
Speaker 6: I think just a perfect.
Speaker 1: We're going to.
Speaker 7: Introduce ye that exhibited this time.
Speaker 4: Thank you, best lab report the same as the one, same numbers on the top right, what the square is correct?
Speaker 3: The same numbers? Correct? Thank you, that's what I.
Speaker 8: Right?
Speaker 6: Yeah, calm well, doctor Brower, you in fact, once got this case per review, you authored a corrected report in regards to this case. Correct.
Speaker 8: Correct.
Speaker 6: At this point I would move to admit the report.
Speaker 7: All right, that may be admitted as well. Thank you, all right, thank you, doctor Am I release through also, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 14: You're on a Prior to the next witness, the cam Wealth would move to submit for stipulations the party parties have it entered into, the first being a stipulation regarding DNA known standard samples, the second being a stipulation regarding DNA evidence for the blue exer size band and the red brown stain on the basement floor, the third being the stipulation regarding DNA DNA evidence for the yellow exercise band and the black exercise band, and the fourth being the stipulation regarding DNA comparisons for the blue exercise band and the red brown stain in the basement.
Speaker 1: That's right, we don't need to have all right, So those stipulations may be entered as exhibits. Council, do you want those published or regular? The jury or satisfied that they'll have those and the parties can.
Speaker 7: The parties can refer to the contents of the of the.
Speaker 3: Stipulations, the only one.
Speaker 7: I'm sorry, that's on me. I kind of jumped in there.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry.
Speaker 15: Spelled k A t A r i n A. Last name is spelled s t A.
Speaker 7: S h y N.
Speaker 14: And can you describe for as your educational background.
Speaker 15: I have a bachelor's and master's degree in biotechnology from the University of Nevada Arena.
Speaker 12: And what is your occupation.
Speaker 15: I'm currently employed by the Washoe County Sheriff's Office Forensic Science Division, which is located in Reno, Nevada. I'm a criminalist in the biology and for ustic forensic investigation sections.
Speaker 14: Back in January of twenty twenty three.
Speaker 15: Where were you working I previously worked for the Massachusetts State Police Crime Laboratory as a forensic scientist in the DNA unit, which is functionally the same role that I currently have in the biology section.
Speaker 3: And I'm sorry, we agree to the DNA I'm just letting you know that.
Speaker 12: All right, and I'm just giving that evidence to the very.
Speaker 14: So when did you start working for the State Police.
Speaker 15: I worked for the Massachusetts State Police from June twenty twenty one to February of twenty twenty five.
Speaker 12: And what was the nature of your work for the lab at that time?
Speaker 15: As a DNA analyst, I processed evidence items obtained either from a crime scene or from an individual associated with a criminal investigation. These items of evidence would be processed through the laboratory. I then would perform interpretations, comparisons as needed, write reports. I also could perform administrative reviews of other analysts work and provide expert witness testimony as needed.
Speaker 14: And part of your employment at the Massachusetts State Police Crime Lab did you take competency tests and proficiency tests to guarantee that you were capable and proficient in the areas you were working.
Speaker 15: Yes, I took both competency tests after my training and proficiency tests throughout my career at Massachusetts and at my current role.
Speaker 12: And have you passed all of those tests?
Speaker 15: Yes, I have passed all competency and proficiency tests that I've taken so far in my career.
Speaker 12: Can you tell us what is DNA?
Speaker 15: DNA stands for deoxyribonucleic acid and this is genetic information that is stored in our cells. This is information that makes us who we are, determines how we develop and grow. A person's DNA is inherited approximately half from their mom and half from their dad. DNA is forensically relevant because it is expected that no two individuals will have the same forensic DNA profile.
Speaker 14: And is DNA the same in every single cell in a person's body.
Speaker 15: Yes, the DNA profile obtained from different cells, different cell types, like a blood cell or from a saliva cell or selling your saliva would have the same DNA profile barringer mutation.
Speaker 14: And can you explain generally the process used to analyze evidence in this case, the testing involving the defendant, Lindsay Clancy.
Speaker 15: The items tested in this case and in all cases, will go through a four step laboratory process of extraction, quantification, amplification, and detection, and then profiles developed from that laboratory process will be interpreted and compared.
Speaker 14: Can you just briefly explain what is extraction and how it's done.
Speaker 15: Extraction is the first step of that laboratory process that involves applying a variation of heat and chemicals to a sample. This breaks open cells that are present and releases the DNA and then isolates that DNA.
Speaker 12: And was the next step quantification?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 12: And what is that and how do you do that?
Speaker 15: Quantification is the second step when we determine a reliable estimate for the amount of DNA in those samples that were extracted, and those values are then used to optimize the rest of the process with the goal to obtain a quality profile for that sample.
Speaker 12: And the third step amplification. Can you explain that?
Speaker 15: Amplification is when we make millions and millions of copies of certain areas of DNA to make it able to be detected and visualized.
Speaker 12: And then detection what is that?
Speaker 15: And then the fourth step is separation or detection. This is where we separate out all those millions and millions of copies that we made to make them visual. This produces a DNA profile that an analyst is then able to review and interpret.
Speaker 14: And when you worked at the Massachusetts State Police Crime Lab, were there certain standardized protocols.
Speaker 12: And procedures that you used at that lab?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 14: And were there controls used in your testing?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 12: What does that mean?
Speaker 15: So there are two different types of controls that we're used in our testing. The first is a positive control. This is a sample that contains a known DNA profile and it is processed alongside evidence samples. So when that known DNA profile is obtained at the end of the process, it confirms that the process is working appropriately. The second type of control is a negative control, and this is a sample that contains no DNA that is also tested alongside evidence samples, and this is able to monitor any contamination and confirm that clean technique is used during testing.
Speaker 14: And does your work undergo a review process at.
Speaker 12: The lab or did it?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 15: All work goes through two stages of review, technical review and administrative review. Technical review is when another qualified analyst reviews all of the work done in the file and in the report they confirmed that all protocols were followed and that correct conclusions were drawn. And then administrative review is when another analyst reviews dot file all of the documentation and the report for overall clerical accuracy and completeness.
Speaker 14: And when you worked on Lab number twenty three DASH zero one seven two three evidence involved in the deaths of Core Clancy, Dawson Clancy, and calend Clancy, did you follow the standardized protocols and procedures?
Speaker 3: Yes?
Speaker 14: Were there any issues with the controls that you that were present when you did this test?
Speaker 15: All controls were acceptable per the laboratory protocols?
Speaker 14: And did your work undergo and pass that review process you just described, Yes, all.
Speaker 15: Work went through both technical and administrative review.
Speaker 14: And if we could talk specifically about the work that you did in this case, first I'd like to talk or I'd like you to talk about your work done on the yellow exercise band and the black exercise band. Now you didn't actually handle those items.
Speaker 15: Actually low level contributors.
Speaker 14: And would it be correct to state that when there is this level of relatedness where you have two parents and three siblings, that you can have false exclusions.
Speaker 15: If there is an under assignment of the number of contributors, meaning that the number of contributors is incorrectly assigned lower than it actually is, which is a possibility with relatedness because you're working with less information because that information is shared, the under assigning could lead to false exclusions of true contributors.
Speaker 14: Could you also miss some people to include?
Speaker 15: Due to the effects of relatedness, it could be difficult to determine number of contributors simply because so much information is shared. Therefore, it is more complex when assigning this number.
Speaker 14: And for item two dash two point one point one the ends of the yellow exercise band, whether you considered two contributors or three contributors, both of your findings find that Dawson Clancy was a contributor a potential contributor.
Speaker 15: Both propositions, either to contributors or three contributors, had high inclusionary stats for Dawson Clancy correct.
Speaker 12: What's a non n million?
Speaker 15: Non million is a very large number.
Speaker 12: Do you know how many people are on Earth?
Speaker 15: I know it's.
Speaker 14: Gobbledegook At this point, Judge I object to his subgestions.
Speaker 8: And how many councils.
Speaker 12: Treat thank you honor?
Speaker 14: One point seven none million? Is that more than there are people on the earth?
Speaker 15: That is more individuals that are on the Earth. But I would like to clarify that a likelihood ratio is not a random match, probability, or a rarity of that profile. A likelihood ratio is a ratio that describes the probability of observing the DNA profile if a certain person is included, versus the probability of observing that DNA profile if a certain person is excluded, or if it is another unknown, unrelated individual.
Speaker 12: And you said a million is a very high number.
Speaker 15: Correct, Yes, that's a very large number in my opinion.
Speaker 14: So it's a very large probability that Dawson Clancy is a contributor to that mixture.
Speaker 15: It is a large likelihood ratio that provides support for the inclusion of Dawson Clancy to the profile.
Speaker 14: And then going to item two dash two point two point one the swabs from the middle of the exercise band, what were your findings for that.
Speaker 15: The DNA profile was interpreted as a mixture of two contributors, including male DNA. The DNA profile from this item is at least one point five non million times more likely if it originated from Dawson Clancy and an unknown individual than than if it originated from two unknown, unrelated individuals. This provides support that Dawson Clancy is included as a contributor to this DNA profile. The DNA profile from this item is at least three point six million times more likely if it originated from Callan Clancy and an unknown individual than if it originated from two unknown, unrelated individuals. This provides support that Callen Clancy is included as a contributor to this profile. The DNA profile from this item is at least one point four billion times more likely if it originated from Patrick Clancy and an unknown individual than if it originated from two unknown, unrelated individuals. This provides support that Patrick Clancy is included as a contributor to this DNA profile. Core Clancy and Lindsay Clancy are excluded from this DNA profile. The mixture DNA profile from this item is consistent with having originated from two individuals. There are three individuals who have a likelihood ratio that indicates an inclusion.
Speaker 7: Though there is support for the.
Speaker 15: Individual inclusions of Dawson Clancy, Kllen Clancy, and Patrick Clancy to the mixture DNA profile under the stated assumptions, these individuals cannot be present in the mixture together. Assuming one two contributors and two Dawson Clancy is one of the contributors, Kallen Clancy and pack Clancy cannot be present in the mixture together. Support for inclusion may be impacted by mixtures which contain relative, especially first degree relatives. Refer to the independent inclusionary statistics above.
Speaker 14: So this swab from the middle of the yellow exercise band you stated was a mixture of two contributors two people.
Speaker 12: Correct.
Speaker 15: Yes, I determined using my training and experience that the profile was a mixture of two contributors, and then you.
Speaker 14: Had three possible contributors Dawson, Callen, and Patrick.
Speaker 12: Or the two person mixture.
Speaker 14: So is it accurate that that relatedness issue was having an effect on those on that data.
Speaker 12: Or that result.
Speaker 15: Yes, relatedness of potential contributors was having an effect on this profile, and that is because so much DNA is shared between potential contributors.
Speaker 14: And what you stayed at the end that if Dawson Clancy is one of the contributors.
Speaker 3: Then cat she was unable to sleep. Isn't that right?
Speaker 7: Correct?
Speaker 4: I told you that lack of sleep was becoming a significant impact.
Speaker 3: On her life and that she had to see doctors and was on medication for that right.
Speaker 7: Correct.
Speaker 4: Again, the troopers were questioning you and directing you on your on your questions or your answers. And at one point, do you recall saying to the trooper, I loved my Lindsay.
Speaker 6: I loved my Lindsay.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: I don't recall saying that. Okay, did you do I love Lindsay?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I did love Lindsay.
Speaker 8: Yes.
Speaker 3: Now when she when was she sleeping in the basement? Do you remember that?
Speaker 10: Do I know when?
Speaker 3: Or why? When? When was she sleeping in the basement?
Speaker 7: I honestly don't remember.
Speaker 4: Okay, do you remember if I suggest to you that it was around the end of November mid December that she was sleeping in the basement for a period of time.
Speaker 7: If you remember, I don't remember, I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: Did she indicate to you why she was sleeping in the basement?
Speaker 6: She I don't think she did.
Speaker 3: Would you agree that she.
Speaker 4: Was forthright with you, as fire as telling you what was going on in her life, as fire as her concentration and her inability to sleep in things of that nature, Yes, Sustine, would she tell you about those problems that she was suffering. She shared with me that she had postpartum and that she couldn't sleep, and as a result of that, you were pretty concerned.
Speaker 3: For her, weren't you.
Speaker 12: I really don't know much about postpartum, but I was.
Speaker 6: I would always ask her how she.
Speaker 10: Was or how she was doing.
Speaker 4: And in fact you noted that, in addition to the inability to sleep that she would speak about that she was unable to focus. To recall her ever saying she had difficulty focusing on things.
Speaker 7: I don't recall her saying that to me.
Speaker 3: How about Finn. Did you notice that she appeared to be losing significant weight?
Speaker 7: I did, and I commented to her about.
Speaker 4: That, okay, And you had occasion to see her as a mother playing with the children, obviously, right.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 4: Would the two of you stay in touch with each other by text even when she was out and you were home in their home.
Speaker 8: With the kids, yes?
Speaker 4: Fair to say that you would take many, many videos of the kids and send them to Lindsey.
Speaker 10: On her phone, right, I did?
Speaker 3: And fair to say that during that period of time.
Speaker 4: From your involvement as Rossi as a nanny, that you sent her videos of the children playing, and as we saw the baby taking a bottle and the baby eating and.
Speaker 3: Things of that nature.
Speaker 10: Right.
Speaker 4: Did she ever send you any videos or did she ever respond to your emails or videos?
Speaker 6: Yes, she responded to every.
Speaker 12: Most of my text she responded, tod.
Speaker 3: She seemed to be appreciative of your work. Yes, very much so, and in fact, she was pretty vocal about that. She thought the world. Are you right? Yes, thank you, Sally here redirect.
Speaker 6: One question and all that she told you about postpartum sleep and all that you observed in the house. Did you ever have any conversations with her about intrusive thoughts or thoughts of harming yourself?
Speaker 7: No, anything on that I me stipped out. Thank you, Thank you, counsel.
Speaker 3: Can I see