Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. This is Michael Monks Reports. I'm Michael Monks from KFI News. We got another hour together if you missed our first hour. We talked about a lot, talked a little bit about way Mo, We talked about immigration raids in Los Angeles and San Diego, we talked about some pushback. Finally, at La City Hall over Mare Bass declared homeless emergency and whether it should still be extended. And you also have to hear the cringiest chant you've ever heard at a local rally in support of a public bank, as backed by three members of the La City Council.
Speaker 3: You can always.
Speaker 2: Catch the entire two hours of Michael Monk's reports as soon as the show is over. It'll be in the iHeartRadio app or wherever else you get your podcast. Hope you'll take a listen and share it. We also want you to share your thoughts. This is a show for you and it's a show for me, and we can share this together. And we got a comment from Gail about that proposal for a public bank.
Speaker 4: Love your show, Michael, Thank you, Gail.
Speaker 5: Okay, Michael, So the city wants to form a bank. They can't account for over twenty four billion dollars, but they want the people of Los Angeles to entrust them with their money. Again, Really, Michael, it is so effing umbilie.
Speaker 2: I mean, the reactions are pretty predictable, right, I mean, this is a city that has mismanaged its budget, has found itself in a very serious financial crisis, and then ask you to take some of these proposals. Seriously, I'm not saying you shouldn't. We have to learn more about this. There may be some valid points here. It's just timing wise, it seems a little odd because you know, we just covered for the past several weeks how broke the city is now and aw, the folks behind this say, look, we won't find ourselves in these financial positions because we'll have our own bank. But whether or not that's true remains to be seen. We'll have to continue to follow. These three council members have put fifteen thousand dollars each from their own offices for a total of forty five thousand dollars to fund a study. There's a group of community activists who have created a group called Fire Rebuild, and they have put out their own study of what went down on January seventh and the days after that. And I'll note that this is a group that is highly critical of Governor Newsom, a group that is highly critical of Mayor Bass. So keep that bias in mind, although I know that bias is probably shared at this point by a lot of you folks, but maybe not so as a caveat, know that this is a group that is not happy with those two elected leaders. But they issued a report that they say was to critically examine the weather conditions surrounding the January seventh Pacific Palisades fire and to assess whether claims of unmanageable, unprecedented, or climate change driven conditions are supported by factual data. So they did a little research and they reached these conclusions that they say contradict the official narrative that we've heard from some of our elected officials. One, they say the wind conditions during the peak spread of the fire were manageable, They say, not unprecedented, that they remained well within manageable limits based on historical data from forty eight weather stations across the region. They say during critical period of potential containment from ten thirty am to four pm. That was about six hours five and a half hours when Cowfire reported the fire expanding from ten to two hundred acres Whether can conditions remained manageable. The highest sustained wind speed, they say, was thirty five point seven miles per hour in Malibu, about seven miles from the origin of the fire. The highest gust reached forty four miles per hour in the Santa Monica Mountains that's eleven miles away from the fire origin. They say the hurricane force winds began. The hurricane force winds begin at seventy four miles per hour, but the recorded winds on January seventh were well below this threshold. Do not support false claims that the fire spread under hurricane strength conditions or that it was unmanageable due to record breaking wind speeds. They also say the winds did not reach historical extremes. They say across the full day, the maximum sustained wind of forty point eight miles per hour and top gust of sixty miles per hour remained below the National Weather Services criteria for a high wind warning. Now keep in mind, if we go back to January seventh, I would certainly hear at KFI that day, and I know a lot of you were glued to the news because we knew it was dry and we had the Santa Ana winds and fire conditions were severe. These folks acknowledged that this group called Fire Rebuild and this new report they released, they say weather conditions were predicted in advance. These winds were also forecasted days in advance. They say between January three and January seven, multiple agencies, including the National Weather Service, utilities City of Malibu, issued early warnings about strong Santa Ana winds, extreme fire danger, and pre emptive power shut offs. They say this reinforces that the event was predictable and that emergency preparations had already been initiated. This group Fire Rebuild, also takes aim at the claims of drought conditions. They say drought conditions were normal for the region. The preceding drought, while ongoing, also followed well known southern California climate cycles. Two hundred and sixty six day dry spell before the fire was neither record breaking nor anomalous, and similar patterns of heavy rainfall followed by prolonged drought have occurred repeatedly in the last decade. They say that it was a false claim that vegetation growth from prior rainfall made this fire uniquely unmanageable. Lastly, they reached the conclusion that the fire that started on January seventh occurred under weather and climate conditions that were not only historically common, but also widely forecasted and manageable. Neither wind speeds nor drought conditions were extreme or record breaking, and no evidence supports the notion that climate change conditions were extreme or record breaking. Excuse me played or direct role in this event. They say, instead, the only aspect of this fire that can be considered truly unprecedented was the failure to contain it, despite the availability of early warnings, known fire behavior patterns, and decades of historical precedent. They go on to say, misrepresenting the fire as a product of uncontrollable or climate driven forces undermines the accountability of fire management agencies and public safety planning, especially when the data makes clear that this was a foreseeable and manageable emergency. Your thoughts on that are welcome. Open up the iHeartRadio app, click on the talkback button and we will play some of your comments in our last segment. Coming up, I've got a guest coming up for you, who lives in the Palisades is also angry with the government response, specifically around debris removal. Now, we did hear some protests early on in this process that folks living near the landfills didn't want this debris moving through their neighborhoods and towards those landfills. Our next guest, who you may know from Undercover Billionaire, says there's a better way to do this, but no one's listening to her, so she'll join us next.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: K I AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. This is Michael Monks Reports on Michael Monks from KFI News with you till nine o'clock tonight. The Army Corps of Engineers has begun wrapping up its work removing debris in Pacific Palisades, but that doesn't mean all the wildfire debris is gone. Aline Colotti is a real estate developer, a farmer, and you may recognize her from Undercover Billionaire. She says she's got a solution to all this toxic debris piled up. But she also says the clock is ticking.
Speaker 3: And she joins us.
Speaker 2: Now, Eline Colotti, thanks so much for being with KFI today.
Speaker 6: Hi, how are you, Michael. It's so good to Steeven. Thanks for having me on.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's good to have you with us. You live in the Palisades. Let's just start there. What was the situation like for you?
Speaker 6: You really want to start with that. Let's lead with the Palisades. It's rough going over there. It's like living in Gaza. It's pretty crazy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what do you mean by that?
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, I don't think people understand. It's a complete wipeout of the community. There's no schools, there's no grocery stores, there's no gas station. There's one gas station. The banks are gone, there's one bank. All the community's gone. There's I know, they're time about getting back to things. I mean, thank god for the high school. Those high school kids are super into coming back, but there's nowhere for them to live. So it's just insane. I can't really quite describe it. Also, it's a bustling, busy community, you know. I was just saying last night God, I were really having dinner at Angelini, Like there's it's all gone. So even what's left is gone because it's all closed.
Speaker 2: I've been wondering this because as a reporter, I was in the Palisades covering this disaster.
Speaker 3: I've seen the aftermath of it. It is shocking.
Speaker 2: I didn't live there, though, I didn't really experience the community the way someone like you did and your neighbors did, or people who work there did, or even if you're a commuter who passes through there on the regular. The impact for me is obviously different, even though I can kind of understand the devastation, but not intimately like you, folks. I'm wondering this is a question that I've had for folks. When anyone loses their house in a fire somewhere in the city, a candle, cigarette, something causes a fire, it's a terrible experience. I'm wondering what it must be like for everyone to lose their homes in a fire like that. How is it different than that individual situation that might happen across town somewhere.
Speaker 6: Well, I think the most devastating thing for me, because first of all, I've never seen anything like this and I've seen a lot. I'm construction wise, I've seen huge, big construction, but the community's gone, and when community's gone, communication is gone, and so it's very difficult to sort of circle the wagons and have conversations that are forward facing and can get you to the next level. And even the news media isn't hanging around the palisades anymore. Like it was a big glam for a little bit, but now it's like a little bit like Gaza and a little bit like martial law. I can't how to explain. Every entrance is blocked and it's either police. It was army Corps and National guardment that's all kind of changed. Now it's really police and they've also hired private security. And it's uncomfortable. But if you don't have it, you have help. Bridge and theft and it's people can't leave their trucks there at night, Like there's a lot of workers and there's tools and trucks and things like that. It's not just the housing and people that are there to help. They can't get in and out because the traffic. So you know, I've also learned a lot about like PCCh is really a bloodline to Malibu. You cut pch Off, you kill Malibu, which we did, sixty percent of the people out, like Nobu had to be let. I mean, it's crazy what we did to Malibu. And while I know they've reopened it, at the end of the day, like it's better when it's closed for progress because you can move faster. So we've got a lot of adjustments to do to get through this whole process and survive with something.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about the state of the economy there in the Palisades and the West Side in general because of these and what we see coming after that. But first let's talk more about the Army Corps because their deadline is here. They're pulling out. These are the guys who were sent in to remove the debris, and what are your concerns about the Army Corps taking off?
Speaker 6: Well, the most important thing to remember about the Army Corps is that they're a military operation, so they are order driven. They get an order, it's a task driven order, and they punch through it like an army would do. It's one, two, three, four, we're gone. So as the sun rises on June the first, which was quoted, they're done with their optimse their work is complete, and they're not like another contractor would they give you a change order and just hang around and just keep milking the system. There's a million places that the Army Corps engineers is needed and they are headed there. So we're on our own. And when we're on our own, along with them leaving leaves all that organization and management.
Speaker 2: When you say opt in, you're talking about the folks who had the opportunity to say, yes, Army Corps, we give you permission to come into our property and to take this debris away for us.
Speaker 6: That is correct, That's exactly what often meant.
Speaker 2: Okay, And so how has it gone? Has it been smooth? Has it worked well for you?
Speaker 6: Well? The math is all over the place. I'm not sure really, Like I've been told a lot of different things by Army Corps and etc. And government officials and official notes. So this is my best assessment. By the end of March, they had forty eight hundred opt ins, so they extended fifteen days, and during that fifteen days they got additional opt ins. Maybe they got two thousand more, but it wasn't ten thousand. And they have cleaned those lots and those are single phase, you know, simple lots. So those are lots that are small, flat, easy to get in because the second lots were tasked to later. So a lot is not always a lot is a lot Okay? When they count lots, they're counting hillside, flat, big and small. The majority of the lots of opted in were the smaller lot us, the tiny lots. Remember they only do the envelope, so there's all this other debris. My opinion is they did an incredible job. They're an amazing outfit. But we are about thirty percent cleared.
Speaker 2: And of that leftover uncleared area. What does that mean? Because even though you know I was there, our listeners, people who watch TV news, they've seen the images, we see it on social media. It's a completely different thing again to be up close to it. What does it mean to have seventy percent not cleared?
Speaker 6: That means we have a big problem. I mean, obviously, if seventy percent is not cleared and Army Corps leaves. Along with them leaving, their organization goes, their task management goes, their mobilization goes. They're hauling route goes. They're hauling route takes debris to certain dumps. It's attached to Army corps. When you're in a business of picking up trash, you have to go go to the city and you have to obtain a hauling route. It's usually done through a hearing, and that hearing will designate which roads you go on to what dump you're going to with the armcre leaving. That also leaves. That's not to say that there isn't incredible relationships with certain companies with certain jumps. That exists, and some people will will have no problem, but independent contractors, like eighty thousand of them will not have a place to take the debris, not willingly anyway.
Speaker 2: And we already know that there are dumps that can take some of this debris here locally, there are neighbors of those landfills who are saying, please don't bring this here. We don't want this. We feel for our neighbors in the impacted fire zones, but please don't bring that garbage here.
Speaker 3: We can't do it.
Speaker 2: You've got an idea, and it sounds kind of old school. It's trains.
Speaker 6: Well, I mean, if you think if you think railroads old school, I think railroad is the future of transportation and supply chain. We just ignore it because it's a lot of work, it's cumbersome. But here's the problem, Azusa, Calabasas, film are all of the places where we're taking are trash don't want it. They don't want it, and they don't want it because they don't know how clean it is. Certain environmental restrictions were waived by Caraenvass in order to expedite the removal of this debris that was done on behalf of the Army Corps engineers so that they could, you know, they could get it out quicker. Great, I understand that. But if it isn't clean, why are we putting it in Calabasas. That's ridiculous. They say that these lawsuits that have been filed will eclipse the cost of removing the debris at a further distance away. So we shouldn't be mincing words. We should just do this other program without thinking about it, because what it will do is it will minimize the damage that's done to these other communities from our debris, and anything we can do to mitigate that we should be doing.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk more about your plan involving trains coming up.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: A six forty Live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app. This is Michael Monks Reports on Michael Monks from KFI News. We continue now with Elane Colate. She says she has a better idea for how to get rid of all that wildfire debris still piled up in the Palisades. Elaine, thanks for sticking around. Before we went to break, we were talking about trains and I like trains too, like I take the Metro pretty frequently. Took at the Long Beach Show last weekend, had a great time. You know, I live downtown, I'm on the on the train pretty frequently. I've never been on a freight train, and I think that's what you're talking about here. And when last we left you, we were discussing the possibility of not using the local landfills for the debris removal from the local fire zones and possibly loading it on a train and sending it out. Now we saw the reaction locally, Elaine, what place on this planet would be willing to have those trains roll through with all of that debris?
Speaker 6: Oh well, come on, now, you know there's plenty of people that will take it for money. It's just about paying for it. The problem that we have, and we're going to continue to have it in California, is that it's kind of the you know, good old boys club. The Democratic you know regime of California is a good old boys club. They we we don't see it that way, you know. We think they're here to help us, and the reality is of the hill to help themselves. We've seen so much, let's help ourselves from our government officials instead of helping the real community. And a perfect example of that is dumping debris and local landfilles. What are we doing? There are plenty of landfills that we could take it to. And one by the way that I found is six hundred million cubic feet and it's not open. It's closed and empty. That's not just enough for our landfill. That's enough for the Tijuana River cloud clean up.
Speaker 3: That's in California.
Speaker 6: It is. It's over by Glamous and Imperial Valley, missis ski area over there where where by the way, it can handle this kind of debris. Moreover, it's rail served. Now, once it gets rail served, it gets more complicated to get in and out. You got to pay more. But it's away from us, and we have a lay down yard. Do you know what a lay down yard is?
Speaker 3: No? No, I don't, Golotti, I don't.
Speaker 6: We got to start using a lay down yard that's rail served, because what we're doing then is we're touching it less. We don't want to touch it so many times. We don't want to take it off, put it up, take it off, because that costs a lot of money. We want the trucks to be able to go to a laydown yard that goes to rail. And there's one in Puente Hills, and that one is twelve and a half miles from Maltadena. It's thirty four point eight miles from the ground zero in Palisades Malibu, and it's all highway and it gets them off the roads. It gets us out of the infrastructure, it stops destroying things. It allows us to do it faster. There's no reason not to do it except getting the big guns at the top to listen. And the reason they don't want to listen is because they don't know what they are doing. As long as they don't know what they are doing, they don't even know the questions.
Speaker 2: To ask my understanding is you are taking this to the big guns at the top, including Governor Gavin Newsom. Do you have a relationship with him? Are you able to get in front of him with this idea?
Speaker 6: He has it in his email box and it was given to him by somebody who has a very good relationship with him, and he knows it's there. He has to take the time to read it. And if he doesn't understand it, he's going to call me and I'll explain it to him. I mean, it's clear that like it's complicated. I get that, but it's doable. And just because something's complicated, if you are the leader of the state, it is your job to lead and that means you delegate that thing to the right people and have it explained to you like you're too It's okay if he doesn't you know what I would say if I was Kevin Newsom, I got this email in my email box. This sounds great, but I don't understand it. Who do I go to to talk to. Let's get this girl in here, Let's get to the right people and let's see if we can do this. That's what and you should be doing it too, sweet, Like right.
Speaker 2: Now, what's the response from your neighbors, Elaine, about this proposal that you have, because you spelled out it seems to make sense. We'll get to why the government hasn't acted on it momentarily. But have you been able to sell it to your neighbors? Are they on board?
Speaker 6: Oh, my neighbors. All the people that I know and work with would will. Absolutely, they'll task it, They'll help do it. The problem is is that it's a massive undertaking if you don't have support from community leaders. Tracy Parks is our council woman. She was good on homeless in Venice. She shifted her energy to something she knows nothing about. It's not to say that she does have good intentions, but construction and this kind of a disaster, it's you have to have a skill set and if you don't have it, you have to ask the right people and you have to listen to the right people, and she they're not doing that. Karen Bass. I can't even get into Karen Karen Bass like the whole thing in the jetway. I've said it like it's a leadership issue, you know, it's not. She came late to the party. I don't blame her for the fire it's like a lot of people. I don't have any course in that race, but what I am saying is right now, get surrounds yourself by the right people. You know, call up the right people. And when people are coming to you and saying, hey, flag white lie, I can help you. Over here, here's some refuge Go to them, Walk to them and ask them, how can you help me? Ask the questions. That's what they're not doing.
Speaker 2: Eline Colati is a Palisades resident, a real estate developer, a farmer, owner of Big Z Ranch, and you might also know her from Undercover Billionaire, and she is our guest right now on Michael Monks Reports here on KF I do want to talk about Mayor Karen Bass, not just the early days, but what's happening now with the mayor. You are seeing more public comments from her social media posts from her basically saying, look, we're moving well in the Palisades recovery process. The permits are flowing, the construction is happening. I can tell by the look on your face you kind of dispute that characterization.
Speaker 6: It's just sinsannity. First of all, she has no idea what's ahead of us. She doesn't have any knowledge of what's a hud. Are we going to get it all back?
Speaker 2: But she's talking about the red tape, she's cutting the red tape.
Speaker 6: I have no idea. She doesn't have a clue. She has no idea what it takes to rebuild a city, Like, what does that take at the level that you're gonna have to rebuild. She doesn't understand mobilization. She doesn't know what a critical path schedule is. She doesn't know what a schedule of values is. They don't know the difference between repair and infrastructure and improve infrastructure. And on top of all of that, let's put a sugar on the top, little sugar cube on top. We don't have any money. We have no money. So if you don't have any money and you don't have any know how you know what means? You have no power. You have no power. She has the power of the bully pulpit. She can talk, but it's all nonsense. They have no idea what they're up against. They need people. The best guy really to be there now would have been Rick Carriso. But Dad, we have somebody who has no skill set for this, and she needs to just step down and let somebody else handle it. Give him the mayorial job for the cleanup. Just go to him and say let's do it, or give it to me, or give it to somebody who knows how to do this. I know she kind of went out and tried to hire that guy sober Up, but that's not You got to hire somebody who really understands how to delegate. This is a CEO job of the biggest construction company in the world. She's like ron tutor. She doesn't she doesn't understand what's in front of her.
Speaker 2: Elaine Coulotti, real estate developer, farmer and undercover billionaire. Elaine, thanks so much for talking to us today. We appreciate you.
Speaker 6: Thank you, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 2: Up next, the Eagletz had Big Bear finally take flight, and we got more bad news for the Hollywood film industry from right here in Hollywood.
Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty on demand.
Speaker 2: KFI AM six forty live everywhere on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 3: How that John Coblt never mince his words, does he? Crypt?
Speaker 2: This is Michael Monks reports on Michael Monks from KFI News. Let's finish things up on really what was a nice, beautiful evening here in Los Angeles County, certainly around Burbank a little warm. We're gonna see some cooler temperatures over the next several days. But the National Weather Service in LA has given us another update on those storms that moved through Ventura and Santa Barbara County. They say it was quite the lightning show today across Ventura in Santa Barbara Counties. They show on their Twitter page their ex account if you want to look them up. At NWS Los Angeles, They've got an image from Google Earth showing all of the lightning strikes. They say there were twenty five hundred cloud to ground strikes observed today in those two counties. They say overall, very impressed day and that the threat of showers and thunderstorms will continue overnight, so stay safe, stay dry out there got a comment on my Twitter, by the way, follow me on X Instagram TikTok if you like Mike Monk's La at Mike monks LA that's m I c nks LA. One comment on X says Elaine, our previous guest, Elaine Colada, you talked about the debris removal in the palisage. This person says Elaine, comparing the Palisades to Gaza is mind blowing. But a more favorable comment about Elaine has come from listener Denise.
Speaker 7: Okay, hell yeah, this woman is so impressive.
Speaker 8: I love her.
Speaker 7: Please put her in a position to run something, do something, change something.
Speaker 4: This is wow.
Speaker 7: I love seeing a woman this smart, this possessed, this knowledgeable. Let's go.
Speaker 2: I'm sure Elaine will be delighted to hear that comment from you, Denise. And and we've talked about a lot over the past couple of hours, and our friend doctor Ron in Huntington Beach is winging in on the public bank proposed by three members of the Los Angeles City Council.
Speaker 9: Hi, Mike, doctor Ron from Huneken Beach. This whole thing about the city making its own bank, it reminds me of a couple of years ago when we all realized that the marijuana businesses couldn't use regular banks. I don't know if that's still the situation, but here's a way that the state and the city can watch out retaches by depositing all of the marijuana business intel. Just the thought.
Speaker 6: Have a great day.
Speaker 3: Thank you for that, doctor Ron.
Speaker 2: We do appreciate you listening and taking the time to participate. Also, at the top of the show, you heard me talk about Catalina Island. Last week, I solicited tips from a lot of you on what I should do, how I should get there, where to go once I'm there. And that was because my family was visiting this week and we were going to head over, and then we got the Long Beach to look at the ferry and just realize that the town was dead that day. I guess everybody was worn out from a very busy Memorial Day weekend and we kind of had all the coast along Long Beach's you know, main entertainment area to ourselves and decided that the hour long ferry ride there, another hour back, an hour to and from on the metro to downtown.
Speaker 3: It was just a lot and we didn't go.
Speaker 2: And I'm so sorry because you guys are so great, But I have bookmarked all your comments. I really did document everything. The spouse and I are going to head over there at some point this summer because I'm excited to see it. And we got a comment about something else that we can do on Catalina Island.
Speaker 4: Hey, months, you do a good job.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 4: Listen, you were talking about Katleena Island. This is where you go. I've been going there for years. You go to Hamilton Cove. You'll get it's a condo, it's overlooking the Orishen beautiful.
Speaker 3: You'll get a.
Speaker 4: Golf cart and a little expensive, but it's worth it if you I spend a couple of nights there, so check it out. Beware of stairs.
Speaker 2: That sounds like a great tip, and we will certainly beware of the stairs. Also at the top of the show, we talked about Santa Monica residents upset with WAMO, the driverless cars that you can see on Los Angeles streets and other streets around the county, and they go to rest at night at Santa Monica, and some folks there are really upset the noise these cars make when they're going into their bed. And played some information on there. I made a little remark that I'm not that sympathetic to Santa Monica because I live in downtown a lad. I'd much rather hear whatever this noise is, which is grating. It is a loud, disgusting noise, But I live downtown and I hear these terrible screams from homeless people people having mental health crises, and I suggested that my situation was worse. I did get a comment on my Instagram that says, you're wrong about Santa Monica. My friends live in a building where they get poisoned daily and have been getting sick daily for eight years. The city knows everything and does nothing. Homeless people scream all night, and five hundred people are trying to sue the city because homeless people have physically assaulted them, destroyed their businesses, and crime is destroying everything. All this while local leaders pose for photographs knowing all the marine life that were decimated by fire, debris and repulsive catastrophic pollution. Look at Harris Silver or Santa Monica Coalition if you want the truth. My friend's eyes were burned by indoor chemical exposure and wildfires. This is what a heart looks like, and gives the heart emoji and says please send it out to Santa Monica City Council. Our friend required two brain surgeries after a homeless person hit them on the head. And that is a very fair comment to my flippant remark earlier in the show. The homeless crisis is all over the place, and Santa Monica has certainly been devastated by what this situation has caused.
Speaker 3: There as well.
Speaker 2: You heard in the newscast from Heather Brooker this breaking store. Two police officers in Baldwin Park had been shot in the forty two hundred block of Philhurst Avenue. That's according to the La County Fire Department. One of those officers was taken to a hospital by air, the other by ground ambulance. Some video from k COW shows a large law enforcement presence in the residential neighborhood. We're going to keep an eye on that and keep it tuned to KFI. Heather Brooker will update you throughout the evening on that developing story as well. Something I have talked to Heather Brooker about multiple times, even on this program is her Hollywood theme. You know, she just comes in here when she's not busy making You know, you may recognize her from TV's the Office.
Speaker 3: I always love that you that you bring that up.
Speaker 8: I'm obsessed with it because literally no one would recognize me from the office.
Speaker 3: I know, and I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I like to tear this wound open, because actresses like you dream of these opportunities, like you work your tail off. You have all this talent, and Goodness knows you're talented, and then you get a on the Office and you got cut. But they loved you so much, because why wouldn't they. They brought you back for another episode.
Speaker 8: Only two they cut you again, cut me again twice. But here's my one redemption of this amazing experience that I had on the Office. It's now airing on streaming on Peacock, so you could watch both of my scenes from both episodes of the Office. So I still am there. It lived to tell another to see another day. And I also still get residuals for it. Praise be Yeah, that's great. I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I know you're the richest person in the office right now, So well done for you.
Speaker 3: Yes, you do you get the blue envelopes or the blue envelopes?
Speaker 7: Is that?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 8: They just come on regular old white envelopes. Some of the international ones come in pink envelopes.
Speaker 3: Oh that's fun.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you never really know how much is going to be in those envelopes, right, It's always exciting. Sometimes you're you're excited by what you see and sometimes maybe a little.
Speaker 3: Disappointed, mostly disappointed. It's seventy three cents.
Speaker 8: I mean, it's those episodes are so old, especially with the Office, They're so old. But yeah, you're worrying, like the five six bucks. You know, people think actors were making millions. I mean I was not on Friends. I was not a serious regular on Friends. Okay, I'm not set for life, but I certainly you know, might see at five bucks in the mail.
Speaker 3: Every now and then, you know, sure, of course.
Speaker 2: And look, Hollywood is not as lucrative as it used to be for a lot of actors, mainly because the landscape of how we consume television has changed. We don't even necessarily watch it on a television. There aren't twenty two episodes a season. There aren't lucrative syndication deals and reruns playing all over the place where actors, even somebody like like you who gets like a one off role on an episode, will cash residual checks for a long time. But the companies themselves and the production environment is also decimated and struggling. Right now, there's another new report from the Milken Institute Heather, and it basically says what we've talked about before. We've heard it from the industry. We've heard it from the politicians. It's too expensive to make entertainment and the entertainment capital of the world.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I mean I read this and I kind of was like, duh uh, it's true. This is a story we've been this is something we've been talking about for ages. It's expensive to make movies here, so filmmakers are going elsewhere. And I think the reason that this report, at least what I got from it, is shining a light on this is because we need to figure out this is like an emergency situation for this industry, to figure out how we can make it more affordable, how we can make it more attractive to keep this industry here, keep jobs here, and keep people wanting to film in California. It's why we've got that proposed seven hundred and fifty million dollar tax credit that is in you know, in the California legislature.
Speaker 6: Right now, it's kind of on hold.
Speaker 3: There.
Speaker 8: Haven't really done much with it in the past couple of weeks. I've been keeping an eye on it, and it's just sitting in the committees. And it's why here locally, Karen Bass just a few weeks ago came out and said we need to cut fees that hasn't happened yet.
Speaker 3: No, let's talk about those fees.
Speaker 2: I mean, this is this paper from the Milkin Institute says LA's permit application for making film or TV three seven hundred and twenty four dollars, while the fee in New York City's one thousand dollars. In London it's five hundred and forty dollars. In Atlanta it's four hundred dollars. I mean, it's just so expensive to do anything. And here you leave your house, seventy bucks falls out of your pocket just for breathing the air. But to build a house, to fill up your gas tank, and really to make the thing that made Los Angeles an international destination the Hollywood industry, it's too expensive to do that as well. Listen, you're gonna need more walk on rolls to buy us some dinner around here. I know, I can tell you this, Heather, I understand why the two eglits in Big Bear are ready to leave Southern California. They are close to bailing out of their nest. We learn today that these two eglits, what are their names? It's a Sonny and Gizmo, the kids of Jackie and Shadow there in Big Bear. They're girls, they're sisters, they're ladies, and they have taken flight very minimally. They look like they're sleeping right now.
Speaker 8: They've been sleeping all day there it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've been flapping and they're tired from it. I understand completely. But keep an eye because their major first flight is apparently nigh. It is nigh, So keep an eye on their live cam if this is something that you've been obsessed with, like so many across California and the friends of Big Bear Valley dot org always keeps a daily log so you can see what's been brought in to eat and what Jackie and Shadow are up to, and what these two little sisters are doing as they prepare to take on the world. Well, we've had a great time doing Michael Monks Reports with you today. Let me thank Kenneth for this comment.
Speaker 4: Thank you, mister Monk's great job covering the real issues. Love the show, Keep it up.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening. We appreciate you being here every Saturday night from seven to nine. If you miss any part of the show, you can dial it up on the iHeartRadio app or wherever you get your podcast. I'll be back again next Saturday with another edition of Michael Monk's Reports, and you can catch me doing the news money day through Friday here on KFI, making appearances on all of your favorite shows during the week as well. My thanks to our technical director Raoul Cortes, our news anchor Heather Brooker, and all of you for listening.
Speaker 3: Up.
Speaker 2: Next is Malcolm Gladwell and Revisionist History here on KFI AM six
Speaker 1: Forty, KFI AM six forty on demand