Speaker 1: The Dodgers are in Miami getting set for Game two of this three game series, and I'm joined right now by one of the biggest assets the Dodgers have, and that's pitching coach Connor McGinnis. Connor, thanks a lot for the time, appreciate.
Speaker 2: It, Yeah, no problem, man, anytime.
Speaker 1: A lot of moving parts with your pitching staff this season, and of course in the last two weeks. You were out there in the bullpen watching Clayton Kershaw throw what Dave Roberts said was close to eighty pitches. What did you think about what you saw?
Speaker 2: It was a big step forward. I think he finally started find a little more comfort with a toe and starting to look more and more like himself. So it was a big step forward for him, for sure.
Speaker 1: That's a little unusual for a guy to throw an eighty something pitch bullpen. What drove that?
Speaker 2: It's more he's just trying to maintain his volume in the foundation alrea he built up from the you know, the season and the throws previously, so that way, when he can really give it a full go, he's not that far behind.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like he's done a pretty good job of being able to keep the arm moving whenever decided for him to start in a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's a pretty daunting task given this injury for him. You've seen the videos of him trying to throw the chair or do the knee drills and and whatnot just to kind of keep the arm in shape because he worked really hard to get that shoulder healthy and come back from that. So I know he's frustrated dealing with his toe now, but giving this guy and his workout that he's been getting after it, and so I know he's had some frustrating days and whatnot, but this was a really promising one.
Speaker 1: You're a very creative person yourself on how to get things done. What did you What did you think about some of the creative methods Kershaw used, Like you mentioned the folding chair to keep the arm moving.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's all him. I got. I got nothing to do with any of that. That's all him. He's just making sure that he can keep that volume up and whatnot. So I think it's been brilliant about how he's been going about it. I know he's been working hard to find, you know, the right footwear to try to alleviate some of that pressure on the toe, and like I said, today was the first time I really saw him actually kind of getting closer and closer to his true delivery. Before he was just really struggling to push off as anyone could possibly imagine. So this was a good one for him.
Speaker 1: Connor McGinnis and Mark Pryor have had their hands full as far as watching a lot of bullpen sessions. I've never asked you though about Otani's throwing program. Where is seeing all that.
Speaker 2: As far as as what as far.
Speaker 1: As coming back and you know, obviously today another bullpen session. It's up to seven now. Is he closer to facing hitters in the next progression?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's a bigger question for Mark and the medical team and just making sure Show's comfortable and on board with that. But he's progressing incredibly well. I mean, this guy's got a lot on his plate. His bullpens have been outstanding. He's going through it. You know, just introduced the splitter today during the bullpen session. So we're just happy to see him back up there doing his thing. But yeah, that's about all I know from this point.
Speaker 1: Hey, speaking of the splitter, Yoshi Yamamo has a pretty good split fingered fastball. What have you seen from Yamamoto in his first two starts that are so encouraging?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know that first one back, it was like watching a video game. This guy had everything rolling and really found the curveball and split going through. I think in Atlanta he just was a little out of sync, you know, couldn't really find his throw early on, so that splitter was kind of wandering away from him. But I think he did a really nice job working with Smitty and Barnes just to make sure that they still went to it even though he didn't necessarily have it, and he was able to clip some better ones as the adding went on.
Speaker 1: I noticed he was throwing his cut fastball when he couldn't find the split fingered fastball. Is that a great sign from a pitching coach standpoint that he can adapt on the fly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You know, he's very unique in that he doesn't throw all of his pitches warming up, so I think sometimes some of the pitches get lost through the shuffle time and time again. So I think they've done a nice job just from a game planning stamp point, knowing when and how to deploy the other pitches and I just think, you know, it wasn't necessarily on the other team's radar, and it was a perfect time to introduce it and kind of help him reset the rest of his arsenal. So I think it's just good for us to remember not to forget about his little wrinkles even when he doesn't warm up with him.
Speaker 1: Connor McGinnis is our guest as we're getting ready for first pitch in Miami. The Dodgers made the announcement earlier today, Connor, that Bobby Miller has been optioned. What was your message to Bobby after last night's start and just how to find a way to get better for whatever is ahead of him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's not lost on us how great of a pitcher Bobby is and how much work he put in last year and then this offseason leading up to it. He came in incredible shape and had an outstanding start to the season, was unfortunately hit with a little bit of a shoulder injury, which I think he's been battling back from. He did awesome work with b mack and to kind of get his throwback and dialed, and right now it just feels like he's just pressing and so I just think for him, he just needs a little bit of a mental reset, just get reminded he can be one of the best pitchers in this game. And so for him, I just feel for him. I know it's been a frustrating journey for it, but this guy's only gonna learn from it and get better. That's a guy I bet on every day.
Speaker 1: No doubt Bobby Miller will be back stronger than ever. Connor, thanks a lot for the time. Always appreciate the insight. And I'm starting to ruin your cover. You might not be the best kept secret in baseball anymore.
Speaker 2: No, I stop him. Man, you're being way too kind. You're being way too kind, and we've got a really good team.