Speaker 1: Oh we're on the air and welcome back. Okay, all right, doctor Robbins, we screwed that up.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: I'm Steve Rivera, welcome back to Ian the Bob Steven and you're Jay And now we have Dr Robert C. Robbins right after right off his retirement? Are we calling a retirement, Doctor Robbins.
Speaker 4: I'm calling it a transition to the next great adventure.
Speaker 2: Nice.
Speaker 3: I don't even know what my transition is gonna be. But great to have you. A doctor doesn't call you coach, But thanks for joining us. We love having you in the past and now we have you today.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So uh, doctor Robbins.
Speaker 1: We really wanted to know, as we said, we're going to stick to sports, but we I have to have to ask you just your some of your final thoughts on all that you went through as president of the University of Arizona and everything that happened with the Pac twelve and in some sort of a little box that you how are you going to think about this? I guess is a way to ask you going forward in terms of where we wound up.
Speaker 4: Well, I chose to come to Arizona and big part because obviously it's a great institution, great professors, great staff, students, huge research initiatives, not one but two medical schools. But a lot of it was to get back to the PAC twelve because I spent you know, twenty three years at Stamford and I just absolutely loved the PAC twelve. And I guess my final parting thoughts on it is one of sadness. But as you know, as doctor SEUs says, don't don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened. And I think that's I mean, just those iconic matchups and the rivalries. But on the flip side, living the living life through the windshield not the rear view mirror.
Speaker 5: I could not be more excited about the Big Twelve.
Speaker 4: I think University of Arizona fits in great with the Big twelve. And how exciting I mean the rivalries in basketball with Kansas and Taylor. I mean, you know, everything that goes on in the with Big twelve basketball, it's playing out right now midway through the season. In football, I think it's one of the most competitive leagues of the major power for league. But yeah, sadness, and you know, I missed the PAC twelve. You know, in my ideal world, we would have reconstitution of some sort of super conference and re align all the geographic rivalries. You know, have a North, South, East, West have you know whatever it is, sixteen teams in each one, and you reconstitute those geographic rivalries.
Speaker 3: So you're you're president, But are you going to be able to with the games? Because let me tell you, if you're a UA basketball fan over the years, and I've kind of criticized the schedule in the past, you you want to be part of this program because you're gonna have some great opponents coming in and a great opponent streat that could be seen all the whole year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would agree.
Speaker 5: I'm telling you it's.
Speaker 4: Probably the most competitive league in the country in terms of basketball and on any given night, and they seem to play almost every night of the week. You know, you may play on Tuesday and you know, Faradi or whatever, it's gonna.
Speaker 5: Be really, really exciting. And as you know better than I do, McHale.
Speaker 4: Is one of the most electric places in the country to play basketball. Uh, not only for men, but you know, coach Barnes has got it going on leading the Pac twelve.
Speaker 5: At the end and attendance.
Speaker 4: So I'm so excited for all of our fans in this this new journ that we're on with the Big twelve, and I think it's going to be great.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I'm gonna ask you you. I'm this sort of putting you on the spot, right you. You You mentioned you were a lot of years at Stanford. You you you were in the University of Texas system. You're from Mississippi. You went to Mississippi. Uh, you were at the University of Arizona. Who You're the biggest fan of.
Speaker 4: Wildcat for Life?
Speaker 5: Run Wildcat for Life? Are you kidding me?
Speaker 4: I mean, there's nothing like having the incredible honor and privilege to lead such a great university.
Speaker 5: I will be a Wildcat for life. We just got a bet on it.
Speaker 3: We just got a call from Mississippi, someone who wants to talk to you.
Speaker 4: They know, you know, I've talked to Mississippi about going on.
Speaker 5: You know you can.
Speaker 4: It's almost impossible to go home, if you know. And it's such such a great institution. And I'm really excited about our new president. Uh, doctor Garmela. He's gonna be He's gonna do great things at the University because it's just such a great play.
Speaker 3: We're gonna have you for a while here today. Thanks for doing this. I'm gonna ask you to pick your favorite child here. Uh and maybe a great moment that you saw you were at a number of things home and away, just kind of maybe fond memory of a game or two.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, that's a that is a tough one. You're putting me on the spot. It's sort of which one of your children do you love the most, the ones who needs you the most at the time. But as I look back, there's so many great things that you know, the magical run of last year with ten wins and the and the win in the Alamobowle.
Speaker 5: But I'm gonna tell.
Speaker 4: You, you know, bringing Stanford back up again, uh Ari McDonald with three players hanging all over her, hits the iron.
Speaker 5: Yeah that shot goes down. Yeah, shot heard around the world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great.
Speaker 4: Bars their first national championship. So that was probably as exciting as anything I saw, because look, nobody gave us a shot to get past huge coon and and all the people we had.
Speaker 5: To beat to get to Stanford in that championship game.
Speaker 4: It was in COVID, so it wasn't as exciting as it could have been. But yeah, that's probably. If I had to say one moment in my seven and a half years, it's when Ari when I saw that ball, I said, that thing has got a chance.
Speaker 5: To go down, and if it goes down, the rest is history.
Speaker 6: Yeah, no kidding, no, kiddy, great, great, Okay, how much how much are you going to miss because you're look, you're still gonna be a fan and all those kinds of things, but you're not intimately involved, and you're not you know, you're not pulling some of the strings and and you know all those things with with sports at Arizona or any of the other places you worked at.
Speaker 2: Are you going to miss that part of it?
Speaker 1: Or are you gonna enjoy going back and just being a regular fan like maybe the rest of us.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm you know, it's like having a grandchild. I'm gonna get to.
Speaker 4: Have all the benefits of being a fan, but you know, none of the responsibility.
Speaker 5: I will miss it greatly.
Speaker 4: I will absolutely miss the grind of every day. I mean, you know, it was the big, biggest privilege of my life to serve the university and I'm looking forward to maybe another place that.
Speaker 5: Will value me and and want my talents.
Speaker 4: And because I can guarantee you wherever I go next, I will do it one thousand percent twenty five eight every minute of every day. So I will miss it. And I've talked to a lot of people who transition out of these jobs, and you know, it's it's like, Wow, what am I going to do today? So I'm gonna take some time and probably go to a policy institute for a year or so and do some writing and do some reflecting, and probably focus in on higher education policy, healthcare policy. And certainly I could spend all of my time just writing about and talking about the incredible chaos that is intercollegiate athletics.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question, let me.
Speaker 3: I had Rock in the Rose on yesterday, and we've talked about it, Jay and I and probably with you one of the last times you were here. The nineties were fantastic for UA athletics. They did a lot of great things, won a national title, played very well. But I think they're coming back to that point where you've left it, if you've left it in a great spot. They're competitive, they have a chance to win national titles here and there.
Speaker 2: Do you feel that way? And have you heard that before?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: I definitely feel that way.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, Desiree read Francoist happens to be a reigning National ad of the Year, and I think she's got everything it takes to uh to have all of our programs, all of our programs compete for championships at the highest level. We've got great coaches, Coach Brennan coming in when we needed him to.
Speaker 5: Come back home. We've got Tommy Lloyd.
Speaker 4: We've got a d At Barnes who's just one of the top women's basketball coaches, Clancy.
Speaker 5: And the tennis program, I mean they're just going great.
Speaker 4: The golf program, Chip Hill, and the baseball program, gymnastic swimming. I mean it is it is such a great time to be a Wildcat and the future looks bright and I couldn't be more proud of where things are right now. And I think we're gonna see great things out of Arizona Athletics. Uh, not only this year, because I think you know, for for one or two plays here or there, football team could be under beat it now. Kansas date got the best of us on the road tough place to play, but I thought we had Texas Tech the other night.
Speaker 3: Can I ask a real question? So we asked a figure. Sports figures all the time. You know, Francona and Kerr. When you go to watch a game when it's not your team you're watching, what do you look at? And they say different things. Of course, you know the former players. When you go to the game, do you go for entertainment or do you watch the coach? Do you watch the plays and do you dissect anything?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I watch it all, but I'm you know, I'm obviously not an expert, but I like to see competitive games. I want to see it come down to that last play every time. And it doesn't matter what sport it is, as long as you know. I found myself at last bring watching the National Women's Lacrosse Championship and it was you know, I was on the edge of my seat.
Speaker 8: It is.
Speaker 5: You know, I've always said that athletics and.
Speaker 4: The arts or the front courches of our university, and it provides entertainment and engagement with our communities. And you know, frankly, uh athletics, if you have winning traditional programs and you win championships, it is one of the greatest recruiters for students from all over the country. We've got lots of UH, lots of options, and you know they're going to come first and foremost for our professors in the UH in the great programs we have. But they want to see athletics, they want to go to plays, they want to go to museums. So I'm I'm really big on UH whatever university did. If they're doing athletics and the arts, well, that means they're connecting well with their community and providing that entertainment.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we've UH, you've talked about your athletic past. You were a quarterback in junior college. You I think, as I recall, you told me once you wanted to be the next Archie Manning. What what you know? Where did your love for sports come from? And and and how you know, how did you grow up with it?
Speaker 4: Well, I think you know, as I've said before, I I you know, was fortunate to be raised by my maternal grandparents on this little bitty UH Junior college. It's still called Jones Junior College to this day. It's not made the switch. All the other community colleges are now called community colleges in the state of Mississippi most everywhere else, but I grew up on the Jones Junior College campus and I used to my grandfather was a massive professor, and I used to sit in a tree and watch my next door neighbor give biology lectures and chemistry lectures and all this stuff.
Speaker 5: But I ran around this little campus.
Speaker 4: We've had about fifteen hundred students, by the way, and in nineteen sixty eight, they won the National Junior College Football Championship, and I just knew I was out of practice.
Speaker 5: Every day. I ran wild on the campus.
Speaker 4: And I think just growing up every day and competing, because you know, if you're growing up in a little bitty town in Mississippi, there's not a lot to do, but sports is always there.
Speaker 5: And I think it.
Speaker 4: Helps you build discipline, teamwork, communication, and it gives you goals and working hard. So I just loved every aspect of it. And you know, I sometimes it quate. You know, you wanted me as your heart surgeon because I was going to compete to the to the final minute to do everything I could to make sure that you not only survived, but you thrived and did well.
Speaker 5: After the operations job.
Speaker 3: Hey, we're going to take our first break with doctor Robbins. Here we're at the Casino Del Soul sports book on sports Bar. We're going to take a break a doctor and then come back. All right, hang on, doctor will be right back.
Speaker 9: Thanks now, Right now, your chance to win one thousand dollars just sent to this nationwide keyword on our website.
Speaker 10: Money, that's money.
Speaker 9: Enter it right now Walksports fourteen fifty dot com.
Speaker 2: Are you ready?
Speaker 11: Ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 10: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 11: Discover with Soul Casino Del Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 10: Are you ready?
Speaker 2: Enterprise of Fasco YUCKI try.
Speaker 12: The window depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Browseyisles of instat cabinets available in a variety of sizes and configurations and instantly elevate your space.
Speaker 13: Today.
Speaker 12: Visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for Maddy to Go Designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your luck. Find a location near you at the window Deepot dot com. The window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 3: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work. I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock and Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero four two three three.
Speaker 2: Where do you buy exercise equickmas Arizona.
Speaker 14: Health Arizona Health Arizona healths. Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 13: Arizona Health the lead.
Speaker 2: Manage and exercise equipment.
Speaker 15: On twenty second, just blessed will not School and the fall sports season are in full stride. Time to give that special student athlete a creative award for his or her efforts they are deserving. It's also time to rejuvenate your fall apparel with a chrisp looking embroidered school corporate logo on caps, shorts or long sleeve follows. And why not get some fresh looking promotional products representing your school or corporation, or just giveaways for the upcoming twenty twenty five season For over one thousand fun items to choose room come visit Creative Awards at Creative awardzaz dot com or see our idea center at twenty eight West Rackman Street.
Speaker 2: At Nova home Loans.
Speaker 7: We believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs, whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer, or to get cash out with the refinance Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com. That's Volpe team dot com or called five to two oh six eight five six two six Today in MLS three oh eight seven, Arizon AA K nine two nine four two equal Housing Opportunity, Got to commitment to Lyndrix syn credit rates and in evasable loan programs or suffet to change the don't notice?
Speaker 2: Did you know?
Speaker 15: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at a start or expand your collection, Showtime.
Speaker 2: Cards is your ultimate destination.
Speaker 15: As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best.
Speaker 10: In sports cards and trading card games.
Speaker 15: From rare fines to the latest releases, Showtime Cards has it all. Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on eat Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 16: On a road trip or just around town. Driving a car you can afford is more important than effort. At Pyramid Federal Credit Unions, our one rate auto loan is for everyone. One rate offers a single competitive rate no matter your credit score. You can borrow better with peering money. For details or to apply online, vi is it Pyramid, FCU dot com Slash one rate Pyramid. Federal Credit Union is an equal opportunity lender federally insured by NCUA.
Speaker 8: Got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert Pest management specialists can't run or high from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents. Serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azpest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 3: Selling your home want to get more money for it? Will Danny Roth can help you? He told me about as you Flip the Home you Own program. The program allows for a homeowner to fix up their home to sell without using any of their own money. They will be able to sell the home for a much higher price Danny Roth with Armny Holmes International is the real estate consultant two Son that offers this program. He has consistently been the top agent in Tucson for the last thirty years and has sold over ten thousand, five hundred homes. For more information on this program or just buying our selling a home, ca dannil Roth at five two zero four nine zero four thousand.
Speaker 10: Streaming live on the Ihearts Radio AP.
Speaker 9: This is High on the Ball with Steve Rovera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 2: Playing about your all.
Speaker 3: RIVERA kons altoon with Tu Lobbins, Doctor I wanted to do with your grown up das biggest print schools stilling up fortnight.
Speaker 4: Uh, well, I think, as I was saying earlier, there was a great coach at that little junior college that I grew up on the campus named Sam's Cooley. So I got the bug watching him and he inspired me. And then uh there was a basketball coach by the name of A. B.
Speaker 5: Howard, and the two of them got me going.
Speaker 4: But really it was my high school football coach, coach Sonny Farrah, who's still alive and I stay in touch with. And then I had a basketball coach by the name of William Holmes Tullett coach. Tullet smoked unfiltered Pall Mall cigarette. He was a former Marine drill sergeant and he had a flat top and I was I would have run through a brick wall for the guy, that's how motivating he was. Then, of course I went on to have mentors Dodtor Shumway, who was a renowned heart surgeon at Stanford, and doctor Guidon and doctor Hardy from my Mississippi days, who are world famous mentors.
Speaker 5: I've lived an.
Speaker 4: Incredibly charmed life and had great mentors, and I've tried to pay that forward by serving as a mentor to others who.
Speaker 1: Any pro ass aleets. You know, Pete Rose passed away this last week. They've been you know, we've had some number of athletes that have Louis Tian just passed.
Speaker 2: Another guy that you know who didn't mimic his wind up.
Speaker 1: When we were kids, some of the pro athletes that you either were a fan of or you think about, or maybe the way they did things or played or whatever might might have influenced you.
Speaker 4: Well, Dizney Dean grew up about forty miles or so south of me, and you know, my little town, we only had one television affiliate. It was NBC and Dizzey Dean used to do. Of course, I was too young to Knowy when he played. He and his brother actually both were really good players, but he used to do the uh it's seeing the wall bass cannonball on the game of the week in baseball. So I grew up as a Yankees fan because they were on TV every Saturday, and so Mickey Mantle and Roger Merris and Whitey Ford, Yogi bearra those are all the big Yankees. And then, unfortunately for me, I never got to see the NFL. I got to see the AFL because my affiliate, the NBC affiliate, televised CFL games. So I grew up an Oakland Raiders fan. But I loved I loved Joe Nama. He was my favorite player sort of in my formative years. And then later in my life when I moved to Stanford, I got to spend so much time with Joe Montana and Ronnie Lott and a lot of the forty nine ers. Jerry Rice is from a little town in Mississippi and his son and my son played wide receiver on the same high school football team, So I got to hang out with those guys and you know, just be be around great And Steve Young was another one that was He was actually on the Stamford Hospital board when I was at Stamford. So a lot of a lot of great professional athletes, and of course all the U of A guys, all the basketball players like Steve Kerr and and all the all the great Arizona basketball players that I've got to hang out with over the years.
Speaker 2: Then was just tremendous, right right, did so? Did you?
Speaker 3: There's a ZNATA saying that you don't want to meet your heroes because you know they find out they're actually human. Did you ever meet one of those guys?
Speaker 2: And one? That's two?
Speaker 3: And that's one question, then two, I guess you and Ken Drea must have had some great conversations about your Yankees.
Speaker 4: Yeah, oh far sure, because you know you you either you either love or hate the Yang and Ken Dre. I've been to the Running Man. It's pretty I don't know if you've ever been over to his house, but it's in president all the Yankee stuff he's got there. Yeah, I so, I never I've yet, I've yet to uh meet Joe Namas, But I will maybe during this year. I'll go meet to a lot of people. But I finally, after all of these years, UH met Archie and Olivia Manning uh at the Super Bowl when it was in Phoenix last year. Okay, you know, yeah, such such a great honor to meet him. And you know, he had a he had a tough pro career because you know, he wasn't with great teams and he had his thyroid issue and all this stuff.
Speaker 5: But I'm telling you, in college he was the real deal.
Speaker 4: He could pro, he could run, He got drafted in the first round for Major League Baseball. He was the heck of a of a shortstop. So that was an honor to finally meet him. But I'm still chasing down some guys I want to meet. I've got I got Charles Barkley.
Speaker 2: On my list.
Speaker 4: I want to play golf with him because I think he would be an incredibly fun guy. Uh still haven't met Michael Jordan's but all those forty nine ers. Of course, I got to play golf with him and be around them a lot.
Speaker 2: Nice, very cool, pretty cool.
Speaker 1: No, that's yeah, no, that's I mean to you know, to get to meet those guys. Got to be has got to be tremendous. I you know, I'm I'm the Dodger fan. So you're talking about you either hate or love the Yankees. Okay, I hate and I hate. They're on right now. No, no, they're not all right now. They're gonna be on in a few minutes. I'm gonna hate him in an hour. So that's all I can do.
Speaker 4: So let me give you, Let me give you a quick, give you one quick.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, as you well know, after all these years, I'm very good at telling UH short stories, making them long, but not making long story short. But I'll do my best. So I spent two years doing UH research at the National Institute of Health, and we had a big meeting in San Francisco, and our boss took us to San Francisco to this meeting and he arranged for us to go out to dinner.
Speaker 5: Now, the week before.
Speaker 4: UH we were going on this trip, I had a kidney stone and I was in the hospital for five years, five days and couldn't pass the thing. And then finally on Saturday before I was supposed to leave on Sunday, I passed the thing. Get on the plane, get there, go to the hotel, go out to dinner. Who do we have dinner with? He had arranged for the five of us to have dinner with Barbara Eden. I dream of Genie and Tommy Lasorda.
Speaker 13: H you want to talk about storyteller. I guess he was.
Speaker 4: Just unbelievable storyteller and so just so gracious with his time. I mean we were he would didn't know who we are. But all these years later, I still remember that.
Speaker 1: You're gonna laugh at this because he was that guy. And again short story, I was looking for a motivational speaker for for my company when I was a two sound electric and I saw Tommy on a on a on a speakers bureau right and I said, I'm a Dodger fan. I'll still get Tommy over here. I called the phone number. He answered the phone. Yeah, he goes, I believe it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He goes, Hello, this is Tommy. And I'm like, Tommy Lasorda. He goes, yeah, what can I do for you? I'm talking to Tommy Lasorda just called the number that was on the website.
Speaker 13: It was crazy, but he's that guy.
Speaker 1: He would come down here for the when Joe Garrett Yola was running the pro am down here for the golf tournament. He would come down here every year and it was great you'd get to see him and just one of those guys with that.
Speaker 2: Let me let me transition to another. Tommy.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 3: I think that you you made a heck of a selection in Tommy Lloyd, just one of those what did you see in him?
Speaker 2: One and two? You hired him at the perfect time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I you know, I we were going through all this ncuble A stuff and uh, you know now things have changed. I mean just think about it. Youd gone back, you know, ten years ago in the.
Speaker 5: Nil world that we live in now.
Speaker 4: And and of course it turned out that uh you know, Coach Miller. Uh, basically there was no real punishment. I mean, we got a few things that we.
Speaker 5: Were cited for.
Speaker 4: But when I was looking around, uh, people told me, you know, there here are the programs that have never really been in trouble with the nc double A.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: There was Mike Bray at Notre Dame. He was never going to leave Notre Dame.
Speaker 5: There was Mark Feugh at Gonzaga, he wasn't going to leave Gonzaga. There was.
Speaker 4: There was John Bline at Michigan, but he quit because he said, I'm not going to try to compete with guys who are paying all the players. And then, uh, there was Tony Bennett at Virginia and he just won.
Speaker 5: A national championship.
Speaker 4: I know we had a chance with Tony because is uh coach Olsen knew his father. They were very tight, and Coach Olsen said, you know, if you ever need a help, we need to get Tommy back here one day, and all.
Speaker 5: That stuff, or Tony Bennett. So I struck out with all those.
Speaker 4: So then I said, well, if we can't get one of those four, why don't we go after their top assistant. And clearly Tommy Lloyd was the top assistant of the top assistant. And I think you would have stayed it Gonzaga until coach you decided to retire. But there was one program, one program he would have left Gonzaga for, and it was Arizona.
Speaker 5: And how lucky are we?
Speaker 3: No, you're right, and he said that yeah, I mean he said that there was only one program.
Speaker 1: Incredibly incredibly lucky. Why why has he been able to not even lose a step?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: In fact, he's taking the program, you know, a little further than than than where it was without without any kind of a step back. You know what I'm saying, I'm from from day one, this thing was going forward. There was no there wasn't a transition. There wasn't a transitional year or anything like that. What about his personality or his style or whatever you want to call it fits so well that this thing just kept going going down the road.
Speaker 4: Well, I think it's such a great tradition and history. Uh, they're the fans are going to come out and support the coach. But you're right, you know he he inherited some good players from Coach Miller, but he also put the right pieces around. And you know Tommy, I think you know, he'd been doing it for twenty years. He's he I'm assuming the way it worked out is that Tommy was on the road all the time, and you know, his prowess in the international recruiting arena is legendary and and I think you know he would bring them all in and work them and get him there, and Coach Few was the closer. So I think that recruiting, recruiting, recruiting, you you got to have the the gym's and the Joe's Uh, you know, the ex's and oh's are important, but.
Speaker 5: She's got to have great players.
Speaker 4: And you know, great players will make coaches look great because they'll win.
Speaker 1: Okay, Steve has asked me this, so I'm going to ask you this. Does he win a national championship in the next five years? Does he win more than one? When? How how long does it take him to win two?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 5: You know yeh.
Speaker 4: Linus Pauling was a guy at Stanford who won the Nobel Prize for his work in science, and then he won a Nobel Peace Prize as well, and I got to take.
Speaker 5: Care of him, you know, medically. Uh, and you know he had. He was famous for saying, I've given.
Speaker 4: Up on predicting the future because nobody can predict it. So it's an unanswerable question, you know, it's a you know, Bright Harper thing.
Speaker 5: You know, Uh, you just don't you don't know.
Speaker 4: So I actually think that, I really really thought that in his first year. I would have not been surprised if he had if he'd have gone all the way and won it in that first year. It is so hard to win a regular season game, much less a tournament game. But I think he has definitely got the right stuff to win multiple national championships at Arizon. And you know, I always say every year when I got to privilege to speak to the athletics, the whole department. You know, I assume every coach and every player in every sport at the start of the year, their goals aren't well, we need to have a winning record, we need to we need to win our division, we need to win the conference.
Speaker 5: I start out with every year, we're going to win the national championship.
Speaker 4: I don't care what spoard it is or who it is. That's the mindset. And so that puts a lot of pressure on and expectations on the coaches, the players.
Speaker 5: And all that.
Speaker 4: But the fact is, you never line up to lose a game. Nobody's ever going out there thinking we're going to lose. So I hope that coach Lloyd wins multiple national championships, and I want him to do it in my lifetime.
Speaker 5: So you know, he's got to get going back.
Speaker 2: So now let me ask you.
Speaker 3: We only have a couple of minutes a doctor, so I'm gonna ask you the twenty two million dollar question. Now, do you ever think we're going to get this nil transport portal all the stuff that we're going through. Now, I'm sixty j sixty five. I don't know how old you are, but you've seen it all.
Speaker 2: Do we get this thing fixed.
Speaker 4: We'll get it fixed. It's gonna take uh you know, it's it's white coach Saban. Get with the process. There's got to be a process. And I think that, you know, that's why I'm excited about having a couple of months to be able to to really uh write some I hope uh important and meaningful papers about what my thoughts are on those three areas that I talked to you about. But I I think there's a pathway forward to to getting this all resolved. It's it's part of a necessity because the players need to be compensated. I mean, you know, it's a multi billion dollar business and in the players. You know, students can make money being TikTok influencers, they can make money, uh starting a company, they can invent offware, all the stuff. And I think, uh, you know, I held out for a long long time, and I knew that the players needed a stiphen of some sort. But now that the genies out of the bottle, the horses out of the barn, trains left the station. Uh, you're not putting it back. And I think we're going to have some pretty rapid escalation in the in the UH the how college athletics is UH is done. And you know, the one thing that I know from being on Capitol Hill, a lot the legislators say, we want the student athletes to have all the benefits and rights of being an employee.
Speaker 5: We just don't want them to be an employee.
Speaker 4: You know, it's not a very popular thing to say, but I think that probably we're headed towards some sort of employment. I mean, we have graduates stud to our employees at the university today. We even employee you know, thousands of undergraduates.
Speaker 5: So I think that's probably where we're headed.
Speaker 4: If we ever get past that point, then I think things will all all ALIGNE well.
Speaker 3: Doctor Robbins, we really appreciate you coming on now. You now, let you're out of the business for a little while. You have time to read my loot book. Help you do that.
Speaker 2: I will.
Speaker 5: So I lost the first one.
Speaker 4: You get somebody and Cameron Indoor took that thing and they've got your sign copy and I wanted to come forward.
Speaker 5: It's like the library.
Speaker 4: We're gonna give you a book free Amnesty day. Just tell us you got it. We want you to read it because you know, so Jolson was so great and your book was really great. But I really appreciate you giving me another copy. And I have not gotten through it, but I have started it and I look forward to reading that book and many more in the coming month.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so joy your time.
Speaker 13: Thank you, doctor Robins. We do appreciate it, all.
Speaker 4: Right, thank you for having me on your program, and beare down to go.
Speaker 2: Cat. I appreciate it. Thank you.
Speaker 3: That was fun. That was a lot of fun. Thank you very much. Let's take the break because we're over. But there was a lot of fun. That was fun.
Speaker 13: We'll be right back. We'll break some of that down.
Speaker 2: You're an Arizona men's basketball fan. You know it's been successful for nearly forty years. Now.
Speaker 3: Take a look back at the Ludelsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's loved coach. Lessons from LUT is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one Email me at Steve dot RIVERA ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hi, this is formal whild get Leman huntly with Arizona Health. Imagine how home GM can change your health, your comfort, and your time. Arizona Health is everything you need to transform your personal space in your life. We all a complete line of cardio machine, multi gyms and freeway equipment. I'll certify fitness experts and technicians will set you out with the right equipment and training to get you started and keep you going. Visit our shareroom today at twenty second in Wilmot. Arizona Health the lead to edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 18: What's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make some day today and reach your goals affordably on your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial lad available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at pima dot edu slash someday.
Speaker 3: Hey Tucson, Steve vera heir, and I've got a tip for you. Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Markets All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a thunder vendor or a leaky roof, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen No Campbell or Colum at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 19: Ladies, have you ever dreamed of playing the main event at the World Poker Tour. The Royal Rebels is a ladies only poker league and we are looking for new players to join us this fall. We have a new poker season starting October third. We will be playing seven games online and the winner will represent us in Vegas at the World Poker Tour. This main event seat is worth ten four hundred dollars. For more information and to register, go to www dot Royal Rebels Poker dot com.
Speaker 10: Streaming live on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 9: This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 3: Hey, welcome back to you on the ball here on Fox Sport firteen fifty.
Speaker 2: On STI Rivero.
Speaker 3: Akay. Well, in fact that we're not back the time pulp Port Ports books.
Speaker 2: That we haven't been here. You haven't been here, le check it out.
Speaker 1: It's first of all, it's a very cool place. It's getting busy. It's getting busy. There's an NFL game coming up at about five p fifteen. Uh, you've got the Tigers Indians game. God, I keep calling the Tigers Guardians game, which just got tied up to two on a on a homer.
Speaker 13: Uh there it's two two in the bottom of the fifth.
Speaker 2: Uh the Uh.
Speaker 1: The Royals Yankees game is going to start here, I believe in about fifteen minutes.
Speaker 3: So we're going to have dinner party after this. But this is a perfect place to come and watch three. It's a nice football game, the end of this game.
Speaker 13: And then and then the baseball game, and to throw a little some sum on it.
Speaker 3: So I don't know if there's have TV's behind this, but yeah, there's some there.
Speaker 2: We're underneath and overhead.
Speaker 3: But there's there's there's eighteen twenty, probably twenty televisions in here, including one giant screen, a couple of giant screens.
Speaker 1: We've got the we've got the baseball game on in front of us. They've got betting machines if you're a little shy to get up and bet on the bed at the window. And then there's a there's a you know obviously the windows.
Speaker 2: Then there's a bar.
Speaker 1: They've got some drink specials going on right now, MODELO Especial Draft, Course Light and Miller Light aluminum bottles are three seventy five.
Speaker 2: That's a cheap beer. By the way, for those of you who don't already know that.
Speaker 1: They got wine specials Grounded Wine Company, Cabernet Sauvignon Pino noir, Greanache Rose Sauvignon blanc, and nap A Valley for nine bucks.
Speaker 13: And then my favorite, the Bartender's creation.
Speaker 1: See, we're gonna have to do this my Sancha's Revenge. It doesn't tell you what's in it. We just know that that's what it is. And the creeper featuring a Dobell Tequila. So come on over here, join in the fun. We're gonna be here on one Thursday a month. We're here two Thursdays this month. We're gonna be here again in two weeks, so hopefully you'll join us. Just stop by, come and say hi, meet meet the guys, and we'll have a lot of fun.
Speaker 13: Maybe we'll put you on the air.
Speaker 3: It was great to have doctor Robbinson a lot of good stuff that we hadn't talked to him about before, just about him, but you know, the nil stuff, and you asking him what he's up to now, and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it was encouraging for him to say that it can be fixed, right, because that's hard to see. It's really hard to see how they're ever going to get their arms round this. Now you've got we heard that there's this proposal that this Disney proposal, nine billion dollar proposal to form a seventy team super conference. But it's a three tiered conference that we heard about it on podcasts, So there's there's three tiers to it. So whichever tier you're in determines how much you get paid out of the TV money and all that kind of stuff. So Tier one is sixteen teams, Tier two is thirty no, not twenty four teams, and tier three is thirty two teams something like that, and that you know, there's relegation, you move up and down. But those seventy teams only play each other, right, so basically group of five gets squeezed out. But you don't have Alabama playing Savannah State, you know, in November, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: That list.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, it's bactically the teams that are in the group of four right now. So Arizona's in that, but Arizona's probably in that bottom tier right and has to work its way.
Speaker 13: And here's the funny thing is that they how they were talking about it.
Speaker 1: It's saying in the NFL, right, if your team sucks, you get the first round pick.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 13: In this model, if your team.
Speaker 1: Sucks, you're still you stay at the bottom of the Teams that are good make more money therefore have more resources and more ability to stay up there.
Speaker 2: Well, the rich continue to get right, the rich get.
Speaker 1: Richer, and the poor just kind of stay where they are so like it is now kind of like it is now so and that's and that's their justification for doing this. It's like this now we're all we're saying, is it's going to be these seventy teams and those seventy teams all play each other. And maybe that's where you come back to some of the regional rivalries and and and scheduling and all that kind of stuff. But it's it's like there's they're they're gonna put like a nine billion dollar UH investment fund or something like that.
Speaker 13: So I think I think he said I think said it.
Speaker 2: Was a Disney They're having a hard time.
Speaker 13: On ESPN, right, Yeah, well yeah, they just raised the rates of Disneyland.
Speaker 3: I heard so anyway closed in Orlando. So so, no, it's great to have him. I wanted to throw this at you, Jay. We did no breaking news. But I'm not sure you've seen the last tweet from Evan Mayatawa. One of our guys have him on next week. He has his top ten out UH Houston used to number one, used to number one, Iowa State, Kansas. There was no Baylor in the top Ten's who's who's uh Houston number one, Who's number who's the second best? Big twelve? I think it's obvious. Probably the title winner Kansas. Yeah, there's seven. No, No, I was State six. I'm sorry, I was stayed six. Ten to seven, Arizona eight, Baylor ten, Baylor ten. That's how difficult it's gonna be, gonna be hard, it's gonna be You finished fourth. And we've talked about this a lot in the last couple of weeks. Will you've begune, Uh, They're gonna get their butt kicked, but they're still gonna be better for it.
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, will they beat up? Be beat up for it? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Well, you'd like to think that they're gonna be that they're gonna be. We're gonna prepare them a whole lot more for the for the tournament, which is in the end, how you measure Arizona basketball, Right, how'd you do in the tournament?
Speaker 3: And that's probably the case of every place. Now, Yeah, you know it depends if you go Sweet sixteen and guess what Sweet sixteen?
Speaker 2: Now for Arizona's whole hum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Steve, I mean every year from the year that I first started covering basketball, which was nineteen eighty six eighty seven season, and even before that, because I was a fan every year you just felt packed, ten pack, ten packed twelve teams. We're at a disadvantage when they got to the tournament because it was a different game, a different game in the tournament, and it is.
Speaker 2: And called differently too. Well.
Speaker 3: Look, just I want to go back and say Arizona wanted title night is si Ucla in ninety five? Nothing? Nothing since? Right, all of the guns to the final fourth time where two Stanford in Arizona. But it's Ucla, you know, three straight times straight but with no with no national title.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know, I mean you remember when we had Chris Raststatter, you know, the national director of official. We said, okay, Chris, is our our games officiated differently in the different leagues. He didn't answer the question, but he laughed kind of he chuckled like he was that chuckle of yes.
Speaker 2: But I'm going to say this and it's true.
Speaker 1: I mean, I have a really vivid memory of the very first Arizona basketball road game that I covered nineteen eighty six eighty seven season. They were in in the preseason n and they opened at UNLV It was in the arena UNLV was, you know, one of the top five teams in the country was in that huge eighteen thousand seat arena, and the refs were from the Big twelve, and not five minutes into the game, the ref came over and threatened to throw Loot out of the game if he didn't shut the hell up and quick begging for fouls because they weren't calling fouls that lout was used to getting called. Yeah, yeah, and so you know, and the ref gave him this look like, shut the hell up and sit down.
Speaker 2: This is how we're calling the game.
Speaker 1: Deal with it. And it was different. And they got beat, yeah, you know, and they got beat. And he knew his guys were too soft and they were that level of ball.
Speaker 3: And Arizona's continued to be the same softness that they've always had. They went on a streak in ninety seven, they had to be tougher for four or three weeks.
Speaker 2: UCLA the same thing.
Speaker 13: Remember that that team, the team had had.
Speaker 1: Grind, blue blood and blue blood, blue collar guys underneath the basket. You know, I mean, look, I thought again, I thought aj Bramlett was a little soft, but he turned out to not be and then Bennett Davidson was a banger, Eugene Edderson was a banger, even even the the guy Justin Wesson.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, no, you guys, uh Donel Harris, Donald Harris. Oh he's yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know, but I mean he during that run, yeah, you know, he went in there in in his minutes and he didn't take a lot of crap.
Speaker 2: And that's why that that's one of the reasons that team did what it did.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right well, and of course they had the perimeter. So I'm doing a story at some point here, Uh, for all sports shoots. The three some that they have with kJ and and Bradley and Love probably one of the third best three somes they've had there in a while, long time, because the other three would be, uh the other bee with Bibby Dickerson and Miles with Jat coming off the bench, and then you had the other three with Reggie, Damon and Kalid, right, and then they've had spotty, but not three right, so you know, we'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: And and you know three and and with those with those three guys, you know, kJ lewis he's not gonna take crap from anybody.
Speaker 3: No, and he's we talked about this history with the with the give oweny uh top top whatever, his top one hundred NBA guys.
Speaker 2: Do you know who the number one guy was? It was?
Speaker 3: It was It wasn't kJ Lewis, it was not Crevis, it was who else?
Speaker 2: Was there? Camery?
Speaker 3: Now right now, I can't remember what we talked about it yesterday. Uh, but Bradley was ahead of Love. Love was eighty six. Yeah, and and coming give me it's Bradley creevous Uh Caleb kJ so kJ was number two or three? Carter Bryant, Carter Carter Bryant. I'm thinking you saw the Red Blue game, Okay, I didn't just see more from him, you know what I'm saying, Bryan, know, thanks for that, Yeah, because that was he wasn't as fluid as I thought he would be.
Speaker 2: But bro, I knew top NBA prospects on that roster.
Speaker 1: That that that's one of those things for somebody to see something that you and I aren't smart enough to see, right.
Speaker 2: I mean he looked Yeah, I liked him. He looked good.
Speaker 1: He he looks you know, he's a he's a big, solid kid. Yeah, you know he moved, well, all those kinds of things. But you know, let's see what he looks like in the game when you know, when when there's another solid six foot eight guy banging around with him and he's trying to do things and the guys the guy's a six year senior.
Speaker 2: And it is pushing him around. Right, there was.
Speaker 13: Nothing to make of the uh of the uh of the Red.
Speaker 3: Blue, you know what I mean. I'm glad they didn't. Tomorrow would be the one. Oh, we'd be going up there tomorrow. I'm glad they didn't do it. Yeah, for whatever reason. Yeah, but you know, I'm glad. And it starts hearing about ten days kind of.
Speaker 13: Yeah, they've got they've got an exhibition game, so.
Speaker 3: So you'll be busy. Yeah, okay, So I'm gonna see you again in a couple of weeks. Yeah, two weeks. I'll be back back here. Maybe I'll call in after Arizona beats b y U. Okay, shut the hell, everybody shout, everybody in the hell they lose. No, I had going to hide and call you exactly exactly. Well, we're again. We're here at the casino, So Soul Sports Book will be here again.
Speaker 2: In two weeks.
Speaker 13: We appreciate you.
Speaker 2: Let's listening. Would love for you to come out.
Speaker 1: The place is starting to get a few people in to get ready for the NFL game. Here in about fifteen minutes Seahawks and forty nine or so. Thanks for being here, Steve, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: Jay. We'll see you a couple in a couple of weeks