Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome to SOS Stories of Survivors. I'm your host, Serena Dansker, and it is my absolute pleasure and honor to welcome Donna Paloma. She is the founder of Jane Joe No More. Today you are going to talk about advocacy for women who have been sexually assaulted. But more than that, Donna has turned people pain into an amazing platform where people can share their journeys. And she's going to talk to us about this movement and how she's given survivors a voice and their dignity and a place where they can feel comfortable talking about their experience. So, without further ado, please join me in welcoming Donna.
Speaker 2: Thank you Donna for coming.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much, Serena for having me. It really is my pleasure.
Speaker 1: I would love to just dive right in and ask you to share a little bit about your life before everything changed and what was normal for you back then.
Speaker 3: Okay, so life right before the incident was nineteen ninety three. My husband and I were married for twelve years. At the time, we had two little ones, my daughter are first born and our son, and life was very busy. I was as a partner in a marketing agency. My husband was busy, busy in his family business with his three brothers, but life truly centered around the children, and life was good.
Speaker 1: Wow, and you know, and so survivors often describe a moment as a dividing line, the moment of the trauma that takes place, and for you, can you take us? I mean, are you okay talking about that?
Speaker 3: Of course, yes, of course I'm very open about what happened. So it was actually September eleventh, nineteen ninety three. My husband was away for the very first time in our marriage. And it was a Friday night the night before when I had gone to work the day before and my children had gone to school. I picked them up. We went out to children's concert and then out for pizza, and came home around nine o'clock. We were all exhausted. Tucked them in, said their prayers, and I was fast asleep. And the next thing I remember, I heard footsteps. And we lived in a two story colonial with woodstairs, and I immediately became concerned. It didn't sound like little children's of bare feet, like one of them coming to join me in our bedroom. And I was sleeping in my stomach and I looked up and a shadowy figure, a man with a covering over his head, entered the bedroom, and I had very little time to react.
Speaker 2: I screamed.
Speaker 3: He covered my mouth, cranked my arm behind my back, and said, if you don't cooperate, you're going to get hurt. And then I was coming to my senses and realized if I screamed, the children were the ones that would hear. Yeah, so I stayed quiet. He put a pillowcase over my head, bound my eyes, and tied my arm my wrists behind my back, so I was completely bound. And he cut my clothing and he raped me, and he flipped me back over, and at one point I felt the cylinder the barrel of a gun in my mouth, and he said he threatened me, and I saw my life flash before my eyes, and I thought this was it, and I pictured my children finding me. The next morning, he moved the gun to my temple and said, and I said, out loud, I mean, I thought this was it. And I said out loud to God, please absolve me of all my sins. And I waited, and finally he actually flip me back over and put the gun in my back and said, if you call the pigs. His words, I'm going to come back and kill you. And it was at that moment that I realized he might let me limp and I did anything I could to will him down those stairs. I said, listen, I'll never tell a soul. This is between you and me. I could never identify you, and miraculously I heard him walk down the stairs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And of course my first thoughts were off my children. I could not get to them quick enough, but I was disoriented. On the bed, I was still bound. I was able to break free from the ties. I slipped one hand through and took the pillowcase off and ran down, and both of my children were untouched. And honestly, Serena, I just knelt down and sobbed and thank God. And what I felt in that moment was gratitude. Gratitude that I had survived and my children were just precious and just untouched. And I knew in that moment that we would be okay. I bought my goodness. This horrific thing happened, but I was able to survive that and the children were untouched. That was the best of a very awful situation.
Speaker 1: Wow, how fortunate that was that he actually just left.
Speaker 2: He came, got what he needed and just left.
Speaker 1: And your kids were okay exactly.
Speaker 3: It was something I could never have dreamed of. It was like, you know, your worst nightmare. I was in shock and the children were okay. So now I wanted to get help. He had cut the phone line, so I had to run to a neighbor's. This was nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 1: I didn't have an hel phone, of course.
Speaker 3: So I was like, oh my gosh, I can't have no way of communicating with outside world. So I had to. I made a really tough decision to leave my children, but was the only way to get help. I made sure they were still fine. They were settled in night right. It was in the middle of the night. It was like the wee hours of the morning. It was like two o'clock or something like that. Ran to a neighbor's. He took one look at me. I still had nylons hanging from my neck, and he's like, what happened. I said, John's not home. I've been attacked. The kids are up there. I'm frightened, And I said the perpetrator told me not to call the police.
Speaker 2: He'd kill me.
Speaker 3: The neighbor immediately picked up the phone dial nine to one one. He went up to the house to protect the children, and he stayed in front of the house until the police arrived, just to have someone be there, and I told the police what happened. A police officer met me there before that, I was able to use the working phone at my neighbors to call family and they said, we'll be right over. And the officer there, I was following him. He asked me if I had a key. I said, yes, here it is, and I was following him and he said I had to stay there, and I said, please, my children are up at the house by themselves. I don't want them to be frightened. Can I please come with you? He said, no, you need to wait here, and I obeyed. No one came for me, Serena. The separation anxiety was off the charts. I finally I grabbed a knife from the drawer in my neighbor's home and ran back up by myself, and it was like five houses away. Right by the time I got there, I saw siren, the lights, police lights that were there, and officers were on the scene. Family members starteds who arrived. I was just by that time like, so drained and just my only thoughts were.
Speaker 2: On the fi.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you were in shop too, I can imagine that. Yes, And so I was able to go. They let me roam freely, as they let other family members roam freely. And I checked the kids and they remained asleep. It was a mee, a miracle. But I thought I had done everything right. That night I went to the hospital. By that time, my eye was throbbing. Turned out I had a scratched cornea. My eye was patched, there were lacerations on my wrists that were noted, and a sex crimes kit was conducted and DNA for the perpetrator was found, And yeah, it was. It was just it was hard to even explain what that night.
Speaker 1: Was, like, Wow, that's just crazy. And your husband. Were you able to reach him and let him know what happened?
Speaker 3: I did not want to. He was out of state in Colorado at a friend's wedding. We had all planned to go, but for some for because of business reasons, I couldn't go. So at any rate, I had told his brothers. I said, we're not going to tell John until he comes home. What good could it do for him to know? This a thousand miles away, and then, you know, have to deal with that without anyone to comfort him and let him know that I'm okay and the kids are fine. And so we broke the news to him the next day, and needless to say, he was devastated. He he's a kind of guy that you you know, you would imagine a good family man and protective and he could not imagine that the one time he was away that someone would come and do harm to his family. But I was pulling my family through this. I am a strong person with a strong faith, and I said, John, I'm okay. I am really, I'm okay. I was back to work within a few days. And you know, of course you lived differently. We had dead bolts and alarms installed, and of course it was very difficult for me to sleep in that house and the sounds and all of that. But I was getting through, and I literally was pulling my family through. When one month after the crime, the lieutenant in that was handling my case put me in a small interrogation room at the police department and sat me down. He had a tape recorder on his desk. Back then, it was real to reel and He pressed play and record, took out a little white piece of paper and began reading me my Miranda rights. What Yeah, you have the right to ream. I looked at him and I said, what are you doing? He said, this is the way I'm going to handle it. I said handle what? What are you talking about? He said, why don't you tell me what really happened that night? And I looked at him and I said, I told the police that were there that night. I told you everything I could possibly remember from that night. And he went on and on, and of course, had I known then what I know now, I would never have taken that revictimization, that emotional trauma heaped up on me over and over. But I did no better. And I sat there for an hour while he told me he had rock solid evidence that I purposefully lied to the police and that I had to come clean. He told me I had everything to lose, and he held up his hand. He said, your children, your husband, your career, your reputation. Unless you tell me right now what happened. Oh my god, it was, I said. I begged him. I said, please, I've done nothing but tell the truth. We have countless interviews and photographs that proved you were lying. I said, show them to me. I can explain anything, all to no avail. Finally, at the end, I was crying and I looked at him and I said, what could you be thinking of doing this to me? He looked at his watch and said, I'm thinking of what I'm going to have for lunch.
Speaker 2: What estard?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean really it was.
Speaker 3: I thought I was in an alternate reality. I'm like, this cannot be real. And at the end, when I had nothing left to say, I was just sitting there and afraid he was going to arrest me. He said to me, I'll tell you what. I will let you leave under the condition that you come back here this afternoon. You tell me what really happened. This tape goes in the desk and I close the case, or I will find you. I will arrest you, and your picture will be in tomorrow's paper. I was like, oh my gosh. I didn't know what to do, and I left there feeling worse. He said to me, I have twenty seven cases on my desk, and one way or another, this case is getting closed today.
Speaker 4: Wow, oh my.
Speaker 2: Gosh, that's crazy.
Speaker 3: It was absolutely crazy. I was thrown into a world I knew absolutely nothing about. I was always raised is to, you know, have the utmost respect for law enforcement, that they're there to protect and serve, and they're there to help you in your time of need. And it was just incredibly damaging and devastating. I could remember it was in October, like we're in October now. It was an October day and I had a light raincoat on. I went to my parents' house and I could not I was in such a state I couldn't even remove my coat. And my husband and my father went to that police station and demanded to see this lieutenant. They were told her story is full of holes, and yes there is the threat of her arrest, so that we're just as don't found it. We're like, what is going on?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: So truly that is what started at all. Serena and I had to really learn so much much more about what types of stigmas are associated with these types of crimes. And I was devastated for a long time. I couldn't eat or sleep. I couldn't believe that not only that the horrific night had happened, that an armed mass intruder broke into our home, but then that the police were attacking this lieutenant attacked me. We reported it to his superior all to no avail. We actually had to get legal help. We demanded that an internal affairs investigation be conducted, which was a joke. It took a year and it came back congratulating the officers on a thorough investigation. It was the only thing he was reprimanded for was he was unable to produce a working copy of the tape because apparently he set it to the wrong switch and it didn't record.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, seriously.
Speaker 3: It's just it's just nuts. And so we our attorney, I said, we can't let this ride like this, because what I learned during that time was that most victims are under the age of twenty one, and you know, most don't report, and you could.
Speaker 1: See because you're afraid that you're going to be blamed for you. I mean, look, I grew up in the eighties and and girls that were victim of victims of sexual assault or abuse or rab or any of this that was like, well, you were wearing really short shorts or what were you wearing, or what did you do?
Speaker 2: How did you look at that guy?
Speaker 1: Did you ask for it, and so we were always taught you don't say anything because you're going to be the one that's going to be in the newspaper.
Speaker 3: And it's so ridiculous, the victim blaming. It's still true to this day in many cases, and that's why most victims don't report. And of course, you know, I learned that most victims are under the age of twenty one and that they're suffering and devastating silence because of this, and it's just so incredibly harmful. So we decided to sue law enforcement. Good I had nothing but the truth on my side, and my attorney was wonderful. She has since passed away, but she was like, Donna, this is going to be very difficult when you sue law enforcement. You went back sue the city, the entire city, because they're city employees. It took seven years to go to trial. Wow, sven years. They tried to stop me at every turn, But in that time I reached out to the best and the brightest people that I knew. I reached out to doctor Henry Lee, who resampled the DNA in my case because I didn't trust anything at that point that they had, and I actually created a twelve point list of things that need to occur in crimes like this and the actions that should be taken by first responders law enforcement. And the first one is that every victim should be treated with dignity and respect. Absolutely, that is just so critically important. And to know the training that needs to occur, which these officers were supposedly trained they headed up the sexual crimes unit. It was it was incredible to me so to be trauma informed, to understand that no victim of a trauma like this is going to act in a way that you can predict. Some may be quiet, some might be screaming, some might be hysterical, and that does not mean that they're not truthful, and so helping them put their preconceived notions aside at any rate. After seven years, we finally did go to trial, and it was a month long trial. These officers all covered for one another impact one of the most devastating things. One officer on the scene that night wrote in his report, She's wearing the nylons around her neck and wrist as if they were a stage prop. I had nylons that I had been bound with on my wrist and neck, and I didn't even realize I had them on. But when I had them on, when I ran to my neighbors. At the neighbors, when I talked to the officer there on the call, he said, do not wash, do not remove anything, and.
Speaker 2: I said and everything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I simply did what I was told. They thought it was odd that on that call, when I was talking about the perpetrator, I said, the gentleman that did this to me, I use the word I'm I was an executive in marketing, that I'm a business professional, and I'm in a state of shock. So I'm just there's scrutinizing everything I did and said and the way I looked. It was absolutely insane. But aficer after officer testified until finally doctor Henry Lee took the stand and he testified about the proper handling of a crime scene, how the entire perimeter of the home should have been cordoned off, and how fingerprints and photographs should have been taken, none of which were done. And then doctor David Johnson, who I saw treatment from at Yale Post Traumatic Stress Center, talked about the fact that I was a strong person and that I was back to work and well on my way to healing. And that second attack at the Waterbury Police Department by that lieutenant a place where I was I thought was another safe harbor, just like your home and when you're in your bed. And that second attack was in many ways more damaging than the rape itself. And then Neil O'Leary, who was in law enforcement at the Waterbury Police Department, the same department with these other men, took the stand and he testified he was raising in the ranks. I believe he was deputy chief at the time, and he said there was not one shred of evidence to prove I had done anything but tell the truth. And these officers were found negligent.
Speaker 1: And that is unbelievable that they actually found them negligence.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it truly is. After all that that they were found negligent. It was the beginning of an amazing turnaround of events, and Neil O'Leary became chief of police. And this was in two thousand and one. The trial ended in two thousand and one. In two thousand and four, now we knew the perpetrator was out there. This happened in nineteen ninety three and eleven years we had no idea who he was. In two thousand and four, a man in our community attacked a coworker and he attempted to sexually assault her. She was able to break free, but he was going to be arrested for unlawful restraint in that case, and Chief O'Leary asked the man, John Reagan, for a voluntary DNA sample, and he swab of saliva was taken and we would find out later two months later it was a perfect match to the DNA in my case.
Speaker 2: Wow, how lucky was that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was, it was. It was unbelievable, but it was. His name was John is John Reagan. He is. He was thought to be a happily married, church going father of three who had grown up with my husband since kinder garden ball together in high school. We had gone to each other's weddings. The betrayal my poor husband. I mean, it was unthinkable that this man did this.
Speaker 1: He was knew you, he knew where you lived.
Speaker 3: And yes, yes, and it just was so shocking. But here we had irrefutable DNA evidence. It was no longer he said, it was irrefutable. I would have never in a million years dreamed it could have been him, and he couldn't be arrested for rape because of a statute of limitations that had run out five years prior. Oh my god, yep, So he was arrested for kidnapping because that had no statute and it was going to be difficult to prove. He came from a wealthy family. He was a board of the best attorneys that money could buy. He was out unbonded three hundred and fifty thousand dollars bond for one year while we awaited trial. I didn't know if my husband was going to find him and kill him, or if he John Reagan would find me and kill me, as he threatened to multiple times that night, and so it was a really scary time. We never made it to trial because John Reacan crossed state lines and went to Sarah Togas Springs High School parking lot seeking his next victim, which was a seventeen year old girl who was leaving track practice and he had parked his van right next to her car. She it was parked so close that she had to kind of shimmy to get to her driver door. He opened the sliding door of his van and grabbed her around the torso in the mouth and tried to pull her into his van, but thankfully Lindsay is strong. She kicked and screamed, and she broke free. Shut up, don't tell anyone. And he got back in his van very calmly and started driving, but the coaches heard her cries. One of them jumped in his car. John Reagan was already now on the streets of Saratoga, but the coach found him and pulled him over. The police and Lindsay identified him. The van was taken into into evidence, and the back seat had been pulled out. There was a tarp, a noos, a sedative, a syringe, a picture of me, pictures of the coworker, pictures of women he had been stalking in Connecticut and New York without their knowledge. That is what it finally took to put him behind bars.
Speaker 2: God, thank god.
Speaker 3: I mean, Lindsey, Oh my gosh. And she's doing so good. She's a mom of five or six children. Now, I mean, it's just it's a miracle that the way it all happened, truly, gosh, it was just incredible. That's incredible.
Speaker 1: It is, that's incredible that And but he was a serial rapist, yes, yes, and oh my gosh, and to know then to your your husband, to know him, and yeah, and that that's that's that's balls.
Speaker 2: I really got to say that.
Speaker 3: I know, it is, it is, it is, it's it's unbelievable that he could do something like this. He's obviously a very mentally ill individual, and we're so happy that he is. He's not able to harm anyone else.
Speaker 2: Thank God for that.
Speaker 1: Now you are you are a strong woman, Donna, Oh my gosh, but I I know that not every day is easy to get through. And and because you're you are so strong, I'm sure you are trying to help your husband deal with the fact of Can you talk a little bit about that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean we are married forty four years and now I guess next next week, so it's a long long time and we both love and respect each other so much, and we heal very differently. I obviously it started Jane, don't know more. I'm very open about sharing, and my husband is it's very difficult for him to hear the story, to talk about to talk about it. You know that my story aired on Dateline a couple of times and he was interviewed, and that that took so much out of him. But he knew it was important to help others to upstand about these crimes, and he did it for me, and I'm so grateful. But yeah, we're totally different in the way that we heal, but we respect and love each other very much and we have a very strong marriage. So I'm very grateful.
Speaker 1: And it's like, and yeah, you're strong in areas that he's not in the strong in areas that you're not. That's that's like my husband and I. That's that's it's good to be that way.
Speaker 3: I guess it is. It is, it really is. And you know, our children are grown now and they are doing so well, and that brings us joy. You know what is that saying you're only as happy as you know?
Speaker 2: And I know happy child? Right?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: And so at any rate, you know, I just after that journey, I just had to do something I could easily spiral downward, but I wanted to take that energy and do I never even thought about these types of crimes until it happens, you know. I mean, it's an ugly topic. Who wants to think or talk about that? But I learned so much and we have to normalize the conversation around this. In order to prevent these crimes from happening, in order to let other victims who are trying to grow to be survivors know that they're not alone and they're not to blame. They shouldn't bear the shame that unfortunately society often heaps on them. And so I had to do more. And my husband, you know, let me. You know, he supports Jane Do No More, but he does it from afar. He can't be there when I do my speaking or anything like that. But that's okay, you know, because he knows that we're helping people. And that's what's the most important thing.
Speaker 1: That is so amazing that you went from personal survival and getting through everything you went through to public advocacy and so what was the spark that led you to create Chane Do No More.
Speaker 3: It was the experience and the crazy things that happened, like the fact that you know, there's DNA evidence and he can't be arrested for the crime he committed. So the first year that I started Jane Do No More, I went to Hartford to advocate and I talked to legislates lats and explain that our laws need to keep up with the science that is now available and that this is irrefutable evidence. And I'm so happy to say that. In two thousand and seven, M. Jody Rell, the governor at the time, Governor Reil, came to the Waterbury Police Department, the very building where I was revictimized, and with me by her side, she signed into law the removal of the Statute of limitations on sex crimes with DNA and Connecticut.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, that's amazing. I'm getting theery from it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a great, great day, and it's a great thing for survivors from two thousand and seven going forward here in Connecticut. It wasn't retroactive, but I can tell you that, by some miracle, John Reagan finished his sentence in New York State. He was supposed to finish it in Connecticut, but he finished it in New York State early, which initially I was like, so I couldn't believe he was getting out. However, New York has something called civil Management Law, which Connecticut does not have, and it's for the worst of the worst offenders. Probably only three percent fall in this category that even though they have finished their sentence, if they can be held, if a jury there's a trial and if they are found to have a mental abnormality and likely to reoffend if they're set free. And that's exactly we went through that process and during COVID, I actually testified at the trial, and other victims were found, several of us testified, and a jury of twelve her testimony from survivors, testimony from medical professionals, and they determined that, in fact, he did have a mental abnormality and if he were to be released, he would likely reoffend. And so he's confined in that system to this day.
Speaker 2: Thank god.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that's what they need. I mean, he should not be set free. That's a monster, right, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And thankfully the jury recognized that, you know this, this man would be a danger if he were let out. And so I'm very grateful to New York State for that law. I'm grateful to the jurors who and you know, everyone who did in those brave victims who testify to So.
Speaker 1: Wow, So let's talk about the name Jane don do more. Yeah, what does that symbolize for you?
Speaker 3: So, Jane Doe and even the logo, the Jane Doe is typewriter type, if you would the Jane and then the no more is in script. It's actually my handwriting because I was Jane Doe in newspapers and medical reports, and that's typical with sex crime victims. But it also I can understand, it shields them. They have anonymity. But at the same time, people that read about these types of things, they read Jane Doe. It's a faceless, nameless victim that they cannot relate to. And and hence no more. I should not have to hide my identity. I have done nothing wrong, and you know, just having gone through what I did, I wanted to say no more, no more blame, no more shame, no more fear.
Speaker 1: So you are a badass. I love it so amazing. You are blazing trails.
Speaker 3: So I'm trying. I'm trying, but we have an amazing team, Serena. You know, I started out I started Jay No No More to improve the way society responds to victims of sexual crimes, because I knew how how crazy it is that you not only you know you have you you're a victim of a crime, but then you have to fight your way and overcome all these barriers just for people to believe you and take you seriously. So so that's how it started out. And I shared my story and unbelievable how many others since I've shared my story will come forward. And I can't even tell you how many older women will just come up to me and hold my hand and say, we all have stories. Thank you for what you do, and men too. We can't forget about the men. And so we started the Survivor's Speak program, where survivors of sexual crimes work with professional coaches and we help them to articulate their story and that many of them just feel empowered and feel like they're not alone, and it becomes part of their healing process and it's just so inspiring to see and to hear them speak and find their voice, and it just it's it's incredible. And then we pay it forward by educating others in the schools, in the communities. I mean, everyone should hear this message, because there's no such thing as not in my neighborhood. This is a global epidemic. It really is.
Speaker 1: It really does, and you're changing lives. You're bringing awareness to something that like mental health issues, people just didn't talk about, right, And that's that's amazing. What do you I mean you've started this whole nonprofit. You've written a book as well, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, I worked with an investigative journalist and William Phelps, and we together wrote the book, Jane Do No More. He tackles it each chapter from an investigative standpoint, and then I put my comments in the at the end of each chapter from a victim growing to be a survivor's standpoint, and there's oh gosh, I just shared just quite a bit, but not there's all kinds of twists and turns throughout that even more in the book. And it's wonderful because a lot of professors will use it as in they're victimology classes, you know, and then I'll come in and talk to the class and it's it's so cool to to to actually see these these students that are interested in becoming law enforcement officers or social workers and you know, give helping them to understand the trauma of sexual crimes and and how important it is as a first responder, as someone who interacts with that victim at that point, everything matters your eye contact, your body language, the way you speak to them. And we used to say start by believing, but for you know, law enforcement, I get it. They have to get the facts and everything. But at least start by supporting. Even if you have questions in your mind, like oh, that doesn't sound right, do not make it appear that way. You know, start by supporting and look and look that victim in the eye. Build a trusting relationship, and it's only going to benefit you because they're going to be more forthcoming. So if you can build that trust, they will remember things more and they will work with you to hopefully solve that case.
Speaker 1: That's that's incredible. Now that's from the law enforcement standpoint. Now what about like high school students or young people? How do we protect them more, educate them more on that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think it needs to be done cautiously and it needs to be an age appropriate language. But we have a few programs. We have something called Safety for Me, which we partner with Drew Serrano and East Coast Training Systems, and we've been partner since two thousand and nine. The Safety for Me program is fairly new for us. It's we want to start in the earlier grades and this is for ages five through eleven where we talk to them. It's a shorter program, but we talked to them about using your power voice, about trusting your gut, how you know if something just doesn't seem right, and you know, about how how to be aware if someone approaches you, because these these perpetrators are so manipulative, you know, they they you know they lure you with with them present.
Speaker 2: Yes, you see all of that on TV.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's crazy out there. So we you know, again we're walking that fine line. We don't want to scare them, but we want to prepare them and alert them and you know, to stay you know, within groups and all those kind of safety things. And then we have something called our Safe Student Initiative, which begins in middle school and we do it all the way through college, talking to students getting them to engage in crucial conversations about healthy relationships, about in the older grades, about consent and you know, rape culture, and how you can be a part of changing things, and how you can actually become an active bystander if you see something, how to to intervene safely, like you can delegate, you can go find you know, some person of authority and say, you know, I think something's happening over there. How do how we can all work together to create a safer world and look out for one another.
Speaker 2: Wouldn't that be something?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: We need more of that serena. We need We can't rely on others. We have to work. The good people have to stand up and really work together to create meaningful change.
Speaker 2: You do.
Speaker 1: I remember when my kids were little, we sing a song called you know, hey, don't touch me there.
Speaker 2: This is my no no square.
Speaker 3: Yeah oh I never heard that one, but yeah, no. We absolutely talk about you know, safe touch and unsafe touch and the bathing suit area. We really need to instill this in these kids because unfortunately, and this is just reality of the survivors who have gone through our program, our Survivors Speak Program, there's over seventy of us now. Most are victims of child sexual abuse in the home by someone they loved and trusted, and you know, for so many it's like, how could that be? It is and many of our men that in our on our team are victims of child sexual abuse by a person and authority. A Catechism teacher, you know, it just.
Speaker 1: Boised out something exactly, or even a teacher in a school a lot of times.
Speaker 3: Teachers in every profession there there are, unfortunately, these perpetrators.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh. So how do you support survivors and reclaiming their voices and their identities? And I know we talked a little bit about that, how how you have them go through coaches and things like that, But how can we get the public to I guess better understand. How about survivors and their healing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think you know. Our website No No More dot org is full of different resources and there's blogs that are written by survivors. There's podcasts that we do on our Voice to Change monthly podcasts, And it's just it's so important because these crimes I believe are the most misunderstood and therefore underreported. So we have to do this for others to understand. Until it happened to me, I did not understand. So I don't blame people for not understanding. But I'd liken it to breast cancer years ago if you wouldn't remember. But Betty Ford, first Lady Betty Ford, came forward years decades ago and she said she had breast cancer. At the time, believe it or not, you can say breast cancer. It was a woman's issue. You couldn't say breast You couldn't say breast cancer. And people were a gas that were like, oh, why is she doing that? But she wanted to come forward, expose this, that this happened. And think about that she was a pioneer. She was a trailblazer. And think about now in October, which is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, everything is lit up in pink. More importantly, think about early detection and the lives saved because we're talking about it, because we're doing something about it. Well, Jane do No Moore has set up to do that same thing about sexual crimes, to talk about it, to help others to understand it can happen to anyone. It can happen to you or your loved one, and we need to do more to prevent it. We also do self defense classes for women and girls and all of our programs are at no costs. This self defense program is amazing. It's with Drew Surrana, who I mentioned before. We have over six thousand women and girls have gone through our self defense program. It's a four hour free class. There's an education component and then there's a physical component and you work with elite trainers who are super experienced and you get that one on one and it's just it's incredible, it's empowering, and it's it's just really important. At mothers and daughters will do it together. And again, we do them all over the state of Connecticut and they're free of charge, but registration is required.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's just amazing.
Speaker 1: And we can find all of this information out on the Jane dono More website right.
Speaker 3: Yes, And we're also very active on social media. We are on Facebook and Instagram LinkedIn.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow.
Speaker 1: So I'm sure that there's probably many survivors listening to our show today. What would you say directly to them?
Speaker 3: For them? I just want them to know that they are not alone, and to please know that there are resources and that you do not have you do not have to just suffer in silence. We also have a Facebook closed group specifically for survivors of sexual crimes. It has grown to over five hundred and fifty people across the country and it's called JDNM, which is the acronym for Jane No No More j DNM survivors and anyone who is a survivor, female male can can be part of this group if they're so willing. It's a no judgment zone and people just reach out to comfort one another, to share some tips about, you know, how to get through the days on a dark day, what works for them, And it's just it's important to feel a part of something, because so many of these victims feel alone.
Speaker 1: Right especially, you know, I find a lot of the young high school college students who you know, they were in a relationship but they said no, or maybe they had alcohol or were roofeed or something, and they're trying to.
Speaker 2: Come to terms with that.
Speaker 3: Oh, for sure, it's a very difficult thing to process and to come to terms with. And you know, I think therapy is also so incredibly important. We are not Jane, Do No More is not a crisis counseling organization, but there are plenty of therapists and to find that right one that will, you know, help you through this because you can't do it alone. You really can, and you shouldn't.
Speaker 1: Where do you see the movement heading in the next five to ten years.
Speaker 3: Oh, the world is in such a place right now. I honestly don't know. But I can tell you that there are people that will support and believe victims and you can grow to be a survivor. And I am still hopeful. I started Jane Do No More as a story of hope that you can get suit through some awful things and you can find a path forward and you can go on to have a wonderful life. And by sharing my story, I know that I'm helping others and that becomes part of my healing process. So it's full circle. And I just want to create a safer world for my children and my grandchildren.
Speaker 1: If you had unlimited resources, what's the dream project or change you'd bring to the world.
Speaker 3: Well, we actually have a dream project right now. There was a musical, a theatrical production that was performed at Ridgefield Playhouse in twenty nineteen. It was written by Daniel Levine, who is the artistic director at Act of Connecticut in Ridgefield. He interviewed survivors on our team, including myself, and wrote this beautiful show. And David Friedman, who is a renowned music composer, wrote a beautiful song and he donated that song and other many many songs that were part of this show. We now want to turn this show into a film.
Speaker 2: Ooh, that's amazing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And so we actually formed a separate LC which is wholly owned by Jane Do No More. The nonprofit five oh one C three and we're hoping to We're we're getting donations for the film and we're hoping to raise enough to be able to film this and that way we can showcase it to the world, to show our story of hope, that you know that every survivor is different and unique, but they can find a path so forward.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that there is hope, but that that's what we all hold on to, that we have to we have to. Oh my gosh, what an amazing story. I'm going to lighten it up a little bit now and thank you. A little fun questions for you. Maybe what's one word that describes you today who you are?
Speaker 3: I guess persistent is a word because you know, I know, I've heard know a lot, I've been disbelieved, but I keep, you know, one foot in front of the other, and I have a strong faith, and so I am persistent in this cause because I'm so passionate about it and I know that we so much work needs to be done. So I'm going to keep one foot in front of the other and keep going.
Speaker 1: That's how you get through the storm, right.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely.
Speaker 1: What's a book or a quote that's carried you through.
Speaker 3: So I was drawn to this statement. It's not so much a book or a quote, but it's a statement that courage is actually fear hanging on a moment longer.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because so many times I'm like scared today, I'm like, oh my gosh, I can't i can't share this with all these people. I can't. And but you just keep going, you know, and you just hang on a moment longer. And that's where the courage comes in.
Speaker 1: I love that, I might steal that.
Speaker 3: I love you you do.
Speaker 1: Wow, courage is fear hanging on a moment longer.
Speaker 3: And and it's true, so you know, you don't have to think, oh wow, they're so brave. No, they have fear too, but they were going forward. They're persevering and they're determined. And that's what I tried to be.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's you.
Speaker 1: You are how put a song that lifts your spirits no matter what's going on.
Speaker 3: So I mean I'm an old soul. So I love What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong, you know, because despite everything, you can always find wonder And you know, I have to say we have now three grand babies and they're young and They're just so much fun and just looking at the world through their eyes and seeing them experience things for the first time. It is a wonderful world. It really is. When you look at it, you know the way you should.
Speaker 1: I gotta tell you, I am so inspired by you your journey. It just it reminds us that from deep down comes the greatest strength when you go through some of the hardest things. And no survivor has to ever remain in silence, nor should they because by sharing our stories and building these platforms, we're allowing these voices to be heard and to be recognized, and we need to tell the world Jane do no more.
Speaker 3: It's just thank you, Serena for helping us share our story and our work.
Speaker 1: Real gosh, And I want to just ask one final question of you. What legacy do you hope to leave four survivors and future generations.
Speaker 3: I hope, I know would love a world that is free of sexual assault and rape of child sexual abuse, but I know that's probably not likely. But I hope that in the future people will be trauma informed and will look at survivors and help them on their journey so that they can heal because they have hopes and dreams, just like each and every one of us, and it is up to us as a society to put them on that path to healing after such a horrific event.
Speaker 1: So well said, I mean it just beautiful. I always end my shows with a poem from my son.
Speaker 2: Scottie, who's passed, and.
Speaker 1: I try and make the poem be related a little bit to the story. And this is a hard one with him. But he did write a poem about a girl that I guess got his heart broken with, and it's called Echoes of Regret, and I'd just like to share it with you. My brain feels condensed, my feelings are compressed, my body is dense. The energy that once surged through me refined me, made me me left. Even though I know what I did was right, Why it's feeling so wrong? Like an effing fraud. She made me feel safe and warm. I never wanted anyone more. When I had her in my arms, I felt the highest I've ever been, the proudest I've ever been. It felt as if I was flying, never crying. She took away my deepest demons, replaced them with her love and affection. But she'd just be giving others the same attention. Now, I ain't saying that's wrong. She's so great. I couldn't even imagine keeping her all to myself. But she told me she wanted me, just me, and she had me. I thought I had her, but obviously we didn't have the same vision. I see she whit my heart with a belt. She couldn't control how she felt, just like how ice cream melts. She taught me so much about myself. I couldn't be more glad she felt how she felt. I will never be more happy I met her and won't ever forget her. This is from He was fifteen years old when he wrote its, and he died by suicide at sixteen years old. And I just I think that he had so much inside of him and we can all relate to what he was going through. And I try and use my platform so that I can offer hope to people out there and to our listeners today, I just want you to know that if you are a survivor sexual assault, there is help out there. Please please seek help. You can go to Jane Donomore's website. She has a soul much to offer and is just an outstanding pillar of the community and trying to make a difference, and if you want to support her, please go to her website. If you'd like to support our show, so SOS Stories of Survivors, please go to Sosradio dot live. And please remember that survival sparks the soul. Thank you for joining us, and thank you so much Donna for being here today.
Speaker 4: Oh thank you. Sh