Speaker 1: This is Dan Caples and welcome to today's online podcast edition of The Dan Caplis Show. Please be sure to give us a five star rating if you'd be so kind, and to subscribe, download, and listen to the show every single day on your favorite podcast platform. Continues as celebration does too.
Speaker 2: Glad you're here.
Speaker 1: Three oh three seven one three eight two five five The number text d A N five seven seven three nine on Liberation Day?
Speaker 2: Are you feeling liberated? I sure hope so.
Speaker 1: President Trump labeling today that April two, twenty twenty five because that today is the day the tariff's kicked in, right and listen. Full disclosure, I'm no expert on tariffs. I haven't thought about tariffs much in my entire life, and I'm trying to get up to speed as quickly as i can. But obviously, you know this is a president who ran on this, he's committed to this, promise is made, promise is kept.
Speaker 2: So I want to get your reaction to it.
Speaker 1: And I don't expect and you may well be an expert on tariffs if you are, great, but I don't don't expect that you are so looking in part for just this this reaction. Do you trust Trump on this? Are you afraid? What do you think the effect is going to be? Economically and politically? Three oh three someone three A two five five the number text d A N five seven seven three nine. Quick summary. This from the Wall Street Journal. They headlined it, Trump imposes ten percent baseline tariff, higher rates for quote bad actors. Boy, Ryan, I hope we're not considered bad actors. President Trump announced a sweeping new tariff plan at a Rose Garden ceremony.
Speaker 2: A stark shift in US trade policy.
Speaker 1: US will impose a ten percent tariff on all imports and much higher rates for some nations, Trump said, and veiling a series of moves the declared Liberation Day for US trade policy. The plan combines two concepts debated by AIDS, a universal tariff and a nation and nation specific duties.
Speaker 2: A couple of.
Speaker 1: Quick notes and I know you're driving someone throw so many numbers out there, because last thing we need are more crashes out there.
Speaker 2: Here's what to know.
Speaker 1: Ten percent baseline tariff across the board on all imports, effective April five. Other nations will be hit with trump What caused Trump called the discounted reciprocal tariff. The higher rates are for nations the White House considers bad actors on trade.
Speaker 2: Who are those bad actors?
Speaker 1: Added, duties will be thirty four percent on China, twenty four percent on Japan, and twenty percent on the e U auto tariffs So Ryan, just a small window now for that Bugatti auto tariffs will take effect to night. Trump said he's imposing twenty five percent tariffs on all foreign made autos.
Speaker 2: As of midnight, US DOC.
Speaker 1: Futures declined in post close trading, reflecting fears the tariffs will slow growth, boost inflation, and further ratto. Global markets indexes drop between one percent and three percent, and popular stocks such as Wow not the only ones I own, Apple, Amazon were among the Larchester traders, dropping four percent or more.
Speaker 3: You like Dan Kaplis, buy American.
Speaker 2: Cars the That is a great thing.
Speaker 1: I mean I have bought some foreign cars for sure, and yeah, but that's a great conversation for today as well. You know, with these tariffs, now, what are the best American cars?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: And hey, well you know I was just going to say, hey, I'm not gonna lie I drive a foreign car now too. Also, but I'm trying to figure out whether I have, and I think it's one of the safest cars in the world, and it's a really fun car to drive. I have a Mercedes coup Suv and it but I'm trying to figure out whether it was made here or made there?
Speaker 3: And Dan, is this the one that you have to take the shop every other week?
Speaker 2: It's in the shop half the time, That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: Literally, But when it and the guys at the shop are great, don't blame them right now, you know, blame whoever built the darn thing. But but the point being that it is such a great car and it's so safe, and I'm a little hyper sensitive to that, since that's what I do for a living, is catastrophic injury cases. You know. I just look at all the stuff and listen to all the experts we hire and cases and everything else, and I figure, it's just the safest thing that I.
Speaker 2: Can be in.
Speaker 1: And if I could, if my whole family would ride in them, I'd eat dog food if I had to get my whole family in them, but they won't be seen in it. So but yeah, I'm just trying to figure out whether it's made over there or made here or made half there or half here because so many of these foreign cars, now right, they make some of them.
Speaker 3: Here or some parts of them here.
Speaker 2: Well that's a different critic, right, that's why. And I don't know how that where where do the tariffs have the cutoff on that?
Speaker 1: That's like if fifty one percent of the car is made over there and it's hit with the tariff if it's made here.
Speaker 2: Yes, So we'll get that figured out.
Speaker 1: But I would like to get everybody's take on the best made, safest to American cars truck Dan, which I have owned and loved my friend absolutely and and you know, my.
Speaker 2: Favorite car ever was at Corvette obviously. Oh man, so sad we just did up.
Speaker 1: You know, we have a very small garage and it just broke my heart to walk out there and see my wife's car purpose well, the Corvette, and it was a beautiful work of art just sat there in the garage. But and she didn't ask me to move it. She didn't say, hey, can you get rid of that Corvette so I can park my car inside? She'd which you know, just shows what a great, great soulmate she is and.
Speaker 3: A smart man that you are.
Speaker 1: But well, hey, and one who loves intimacy. But anyway, three or three someone three eight five five takes d an five seven, seven, three nine. So glad you are here. So we're talking all things tariff without knowing what the heck we're talking about. But it's a it's a big deal today, So would love to get your take on that. And we have much more on the agenda, also a team. Jeffrey's not very impressed, but then again he's not very impressive.
Speaker 2: How about to cut three? Please?
Speaker 4: This is not liberation day, It's recession day. What's some in turn right there in the United States of America.
Speaker 3: That's what the Trump tariffs are going to do.
Speaker 4: Crash the economy, which has been happening since January twentieth.
Speaker 3: Of this year, and the.
Speaker 4: American people are taking note really of it. I intrommunity in the poles after community after community.
Speaker 2: Does he sound like even believes what he's saying?
Speaker 3: And a lot of pauses there.
Speaker 1: Now you know, I'm no doctor, but I would prescribe jeffine for him, right or is he is he trying to affect something here?
Speaker 2: But come on, he's got no credibility.
Speaker 1: The Dems, you know, outside of Blue Pocket, have no credibility, but you know, hey, what has come down to and it's always what you want ryan Right, Like when I used to play softball. Okay, I was a decent softball player, and I used to feel like and we'd play until I got married. We'd play one hundred games a year, and I used to feel like, Okay, if I go out and have a great game, we're going to win.
Speaker 2: Now that wasn't.
Speaker 1: True, but I always like to feel that way because I felt that, Hey, if I'm really on, if I'm really doing my thing, we're going to win that game. And I think it's all about Trump right now. It is all about Trump. It's all about the Republicans. The Democrats are irrelevant. It's all about whether the Republicans deliver, whether Trump delivers. And that's one reason that I sleep easily right now, even though I see my four oh one k bouncing around. Is I just trust Trump on this. I know he's human, every human's fallible, but I trust Trump on this because you know he wants to succeed, right and he could have had an easy first class trip to.
Speaker 2: The top here.
Speaker 1: Just keep spending a ton of money, don't do anything risky, and just ride this thing right to the top of popularity in four years. But he's he's making a big move here because he truly believes it's going to work.
Speaker 2: And I'm going to trust him on that.
Speaker 3: And his expertise.
Speaker 5: Dan I talked about this his background obviously in business and industry and real estate, and he was talking about this, going back to his appearances on the Oprah Winfrey Show, that if he ever ran for president, if he ever became president, what would he do differently? This is what he was talking about, Dan, this very issue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you know what I'd like to hear from people on this too, which is I think he has as much or more of a commitment to working people in America as any president in my lifetime. And I'd be hard pressed to point to a single president in my lifetime who's had a more obvious, overt commitment to working people in America. And I think where that's where this whole tariff things come from. I think he believes in it on other levels as well. But for the working people of America, you know, those are the folks who have the most to gain, and so America has the most gained because America without that you know, strong working you know class in America, that strong middle class in America.
Speaker 2: You know, America is not going to be America.
Speaker 5: And we saw some of the people in attendance at his address today, Dan, we see this kind of realignment politically. Sean Fain, the very far left Democrat president of the UAW came out in favor of these tariffs. He had a longtime autoworker from Mcombe County in Michigan talk about fighting for like you said, the working class, the auto workers, for fair trade rather than just outright wild West style free trade. And there's an interesting shift and the dichotomy of American politics and the Democrats they don't really know how to react right now because the working class, the blue collar, the unions that represent them. You look at the teamsters as well, with Sean O'Brien, I mean, they are very much aligned with Trump on this.
Speaker 3: So what do the Democrats do?
Speaker 1: Hope for the Republicans to fail, right because they have no answer and they've been exposed, They've been pansed and tied to the goalposts. They have no answer. Now it's about the Republicans. All about the Republicans, you know, will they succeed or will they fail. I believe they're going to succeed, but I'd like to get everybody else's take, and then we'll play a lot of sound different takes on tariffs and other big issues of the day. Three or three someone three eight two five five text d A N five seven seven three nine.
Speaker 2: You're on the Dan Caplis Show.
Speaker 3: And now back to the Dankapliss Show podcast.
Speaker 6: Little concerned we all are. At the end of the day. We got to have faith in our leadership. Our country is going in our wrong direction thirty seven tree and in debt. We've got to get manufacturers back to the country we go back to work. Better way to do that is tariffs. So let's give it a shot and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Boy, I think Tommy Tubberville just nailed it, right, former football coach now senator from the great State of Alabama. I think he just nailed it.
Speaker 2: And that's kind of exactly the way I feel too.
Speaker 1: Without claiming to be an expert on tariffs, right, And I don't just say that to give myself an out if they don't work. I just I'm not an expert on tariff's but I do trust Trumpet.
Speaker 2: And you know, it's interesting.
Speaker 1: There's a legal concept to and it ties into hearsay exceptions and everything else. But when somebody is saying things against their own interest, then that's a hearsay exception, often because they don't have any reason to make it up. Right, President Trump here, he has no reason to be doing this unless he is convinced that it's going to work and be best for America, because it's so risky for him, and he has such an easy alternative to high popularity and cruise through the term playing golf and getting adulation. So I just have that trust, and then you combine his financial expertise, etc.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 1: I can tell you though, my attention at the moment is divided between the issue of tariffs and the future of America and my excitement over getting my vehicle wrapped, whether it's a cyber truck or what. Because Ryan, did you see that text come in? We have a text come in from Doug at Quantum Raps in Canyon City because oh wow, we've been talking on the show in connection with the Tesla terrorism. And I hope they round them all up and they prosecute them to the max. And I'm confident they will. But I've been talking about wanting to get a cyber truck just to stand up to the terrorists. And then I said, well, I want to get a wrap because I don't like any of the current collers. So Doug, we should get him on for a segment sometime. But he offered to do the rep for me. Obviously I'd be pain in full, but he sent me his website. Unbelievable what they can do with wraps, and like I said, this cheap that has this really artistic, cool faded American flag on the hood, but then on the side it has a US Constitution. I mean, you can do some really artistic stuff. They have an American flag repped hardly it's and then they have some commercial stuff.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So this whole concept of being able to turn your vehicle into a piece of art beyond the color and shape is really exciting to me.
Speaker 5: I'm going to reach out to Doug here via text and I can do that and see if you'll join you.
Speaker 3: Maybe for the next segment.
Speaker 1: Oh, anytime, anytime, because this opens up a whole new world for everybody listening to us, right, Because I have to figure if you're nice enough to listen to the show. Chances are pretty high you're in the car. You were in the car or truck or suv or something sometime today. So for everybody listening, you know, there's this opportunity to turn your transport into this work of art, into this statement. It can be a political statement, artistic statement, combination of the two. Now, hey, the caveat right. I have no idea what this costs. It may be prohibitive, but it's at least an interesting idea. And then what would you put on the cyber truck? Like somebody texted me, let me get this, So I quoted verbatim on the cyber truck. He was talking about Dan, wrap it in the second Amendment vandal deterrent.
Speaker 2: And then it said, and you might want to conceal carry.
Speaker 1: Which of course I wouldn't, but but yeah, he says, wrap it in the second Amendment is vandal to turn. What do you think the odds are if I get that cyber truck that it will be vandalized?
Speaker 3: Depends on where you drive it, Dan, Well, okay, pick this.
Speaker 1: Where's the safest place you can imagine other than the church parking lot? I would say, any which is safe when everybody's leaving mass.
Speaker 3: Weld County with Sheriff Steve Reems tailing.
Speaker 1: Yah, yeah, yeah, no, that would be that would be pretty burned safe. Yeah, no doubt about it.
Speaker 2: But what do you think theats are of the old cyber truck getting Vanda?
Speaker 5: Are you going to go downtown Denver because I got to live your life? Well, I would say it's in the seventy five percent.
Speaker 2: Do you know what's really sad?
Speaker 1: Like I had to go downtown Denver for a deal, and then I had to turn around, drive home, take the valuables out of the car, put them in the garage, and then stop back at home on my way back to the office.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's sad, right.
Speaker 1: But because our office, we have offices in a bunch of places, but we've got this main office in the Tech Center. But I actually had to go home and put my good stuff away so I could drive down to a meeting in downtown Denver.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's sad. Do you think that's an overreaction?
Speaker 1: I just almost being prudent, very prudent, because there's certain stuff like okay, you take my golf clubs that'll hurt, it'll help some homeowners. But you know, you can you can go out and good bye another golf clubs, but if somebody pulls a computer out of the car or something else, you can't have that happen.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think you heard on the side of caution. Okay, smart move. So we'd love to hear from people.
Speaker 1: By the way, we're talking tariffs if you can tell, and the president putting twenty five percent on autos starting tonight from foreign countries. So let's talk about American cars. What are the best made, what are the safest you know what for those people who may normally buy a foreign car, you know, what are the best American alternatives? So I think we should have that conversation three or three someone three eight, two.
Speaker 2: Five, five the number. You know. I'm kind of with Ryan.
Speaker 1: My my favorite American cars have been probably well, the Corvette number one favorite car ever of any kind. The F one fifty just a tremendous machine, you know, the F one fifty.
Speaker 2: You know, So what are and like, what is the best American car out there? Right now?
Speaker 1: Let's say you have somebody listening and they're just uber rich not like, well, you know what, how much do uber drivers make?
Speaker 7: It?
Speaker 2: Depends on the way. They'd be literally uber rich if you drive and tip Uber drivers.
Speaker 3: Depends on the length of this drive.
Speaker 5: I mean, you know, three to five bucks is a nice cup. I think for the most part.
Speaker 1: Well, they may be uber rich from driving Uber, or they may be uber rich from owning Uber. But let's say somebody is uber rich in the audience right now and they just they're not going to buy a foreign car because of the tariffs are moral objection. What's the very best American made car they could get. Let's say that you've got somebody there just isn't discretionary income right now, and they just have to get the best possible American car that they can afford, and it's going to be lower on the price scale. What's what's the best American car option there? Because they love to hear from people on that three or three someone three eight two five five text d a N five seven seven.
Speaker 5: Three nights You drive both an old school and a rebooted Ford Bronco.
Speaker 1: Oh my lord, yes, well yeah, well we own a Bronco right now.
Speaker 3: Ah, there you go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have we have a four Bronco right now and it is a blast.
Speaker 1: But I got to be honest, the Corvette's better car, and I think the F one fifty as well.
Speaker 2: This is a close call. Ryan. Is the Bronco we have now better than the F one fifty. Huh.
Speaker 1: It's a great talk topic. You're on the Dan Caplis Show.
Speaker 3: You're listening to the Dan Kaplis Show podcast.
Speaker 1: That's right, twenty five percent tariff on foreign made vehicles starting tonight.
Speaker 2: So what are the.
Speaker 1: Best made American vehicles in different categories? We're talking about that and so much more as we dig into tariffs. Let's start that digging in beautiful Highlands Ranch of Colorado. We'll talk to Carly. You're on the Dan Caplis Show. Welcome Carly.
Speaker 2: Hi, Dan.
Speaker 8: As Kelly agrees with me. And I'm just calling to ask you what am I missing? If it's not harmful, because I've been paying as much as attention as I can of this. But if it's not harmful, in fact beneficial for other countries to charge the US tariff, and why in the world shouldn't we reciprocate with tariff's of her own. I don't get it. What am I missing?
Speaker 1: It seems like solid logic to me. Admittedly, no expert on it, but it seems like solid logic to me.
Speaker 2: Obviously. The concern, right is, I mean, what kind of TVs do you have in the house.
Speaker 8: Oh my gosh, I couldn't even tell you right now because you.
Speaker 2: Have so many, right, because they're low priced.
Speaker 1: Right, because I remember my grandfather passed away, one of the greatest men to ever live. He made his priority what really matters, not money, and so you know, it's not like he left everybody millions of dollars. But I took what he gave me, and I bought one of the first big screen TVs. So I had a chair, one plate, one spoon, one knife, and my big screen TV. But that's a are probably cost as many as ten would right now. Right, So I think the concern is, Okay, you slide of terrify on the Chinese and Japanese goods and all of a sudden, Carly's TVs are going to go way up in price. Carly's going to be ticked, and the Republicans are going to lose. I think that's the concern.
Speaker 8: You know, as much pain and suffering as we went through over the past four years, I can do with some more as it means that manufacturing jobs are going to be coming back to the US, Companies are going to be moving back to the US. I mean our economy will go through the roof.
Speaker 1: Well, to quote the late Joe Biden, and I think you're still with that. God love you, God love you, And thank you for saying that, because I've been telling people this forever. Right, I grew up with the greatest parents, the greatest childhood ever. And now we didn't have a lot of money, but we had what mattered more. But here's the point. Everybody, all these elitists and everything else, think that working people are just all about more money for working people. No, working people are disproportionately going to be about values and about what really matters because money is not their god.
Speaker 2: And so what do you have happened?
Speaker 1: Then a lot of people like you who say, wait a second, Okay, I'm willing to.
Speaker 2: Pay some more.
Speaker 1: I'm willing to suff if it's going to make this great nation better and give everybody.
Speaker 2: A fair shot.
Speaker 8: Exactly.
Speaker 2: No, that is such a beautiful point you make.
Speaker 8: Okay, I haven't really missed anything. Okay, I'm miss enormous.
Speaker 2: I don't think care, but I think you just added a lot.
Speaker 8: Yeah, Kelly said he's going to come on here and say she agreed with me. Okay, well Carly, all right, thank you guys.
Speaker 1: I hope Adam's not listening. Thank you, Carly. Let's go to a Jennifer in Denver. You're on the Dan kaplis so welcome.
Speaker 9: Hey, Dan, thanks for having Tommy tuverbill on. I think that you know, a lot of us who don't really understand terrs like you were talking about, are to the point of saying, let's just see what happens. Of course, you've got Democrats there that are saying it's going to be like Smoot Holly, which was the legislation passed in nineteen thirty signed by Herbert Hoover, which a lot of economists say, you know, made the Great Depression even worse.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they said Trump was going to start World War three, right.
Speaker 9: Yeah, But what they don't understand is our economy was, our global economy was much different back then. And this is a this is a negotiation tactic. So I'm to the point, like that last caller, let's just see what happens. I imagine about six months we're going to see, you know, American industry just take off.
Speaker 1: You know, if Jarrett Polish or some other Democrat really wanted to gain credibility with the American people, they'd come out and say what you just said. They would say, wait a second, you know, let's give this a chance. Let's see see if it works. We know the working people in America are hurting, but they're all just such cheap right If Trump wanted, well.
Speaker 2: Must be bad.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, no, I appreciate the call. I'm with you, Jennifer. And again I do not claim to be an expert on tariffs, but for the reason stated, I trust in Trump on this. How about Lynn also in Denver, you're on the dankapush you'll welcome Lynn.
Speaker 10: Hi.
Speaker 11: Well, they picked the words right out of my mouth. Both callers I agree wholeheartedly with. And I wish that people would calm the heck down. And these these career government hacks that don't run businesses and don't understand the mindset of a businessman. It's not going to be perfect, but I think every I think short term pain excuse me, yeah, for long term gain. And so I am totally on board with this for now.
Speaker 8: I trust this process.
Speaker 11: And there's a lot a bigger picture here. As a side note for fun, there was a commercial back in the Sick back in the day, do I see the USA in your Chevrolet?
Speaker 7: And I and.
Speaker 8: I did have.
Speaker 11: I did have a Camaro sixty seven which was super fun and really like those and really liked Jeeps and really like Fords.
Speaker 9: And so it's not the end of the world.
Speaker 7: People can can buy here.
Speaker 9: You can buy cars made an American.
Speaker 10: That's what we want.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, we do.
Speaker 1: And yeah, my first car was a sixty four Chevy Nova I bought in nineteen seventy five for seventy five bucks and only car I ever made any money on. But no, I'm with you on that. And you know, the Ford Bronco we have now is a tremendous vehicle. But hey, let me ask you something, lind here's my theory. Tell me if there's a flaw in it. My theory is that Democrats aren't flipping out about tariffs because they think they're going to fail. They're flipping out about tariffs because they think they're going to succeed. And what the Democratic Party knows is if Americans make seventy five thousand dollars or more, a majority are going to vote Republicans. So I think Democrats are scared to death of a more prosperous America, particularly a more prosperous community of color, a more prosperous working class America, because that's the end of the modern Democratic party. Just look at the maths.
Speaker 11: That makes total sense. And I think we've been slogging along for so long with the status quo that I've said this before about another.
Speaker 9: Subject, but if not now, when this.
Speaker 11: Is really shaking things up and it's sluggish and it's overgrown, bloated government and all the things. So I think this is a really good strategy. And Trump has a proven a successful person, So yeah, I agree with what you just said, though I do agree with with that concept.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Lynn, appreciate the call. Thank you so much, and Ryan, and we'll take.
Speaker 1: More callers after this break. But Ryan, what's so interesting to us? And it could just be a statistic collaboration, but I don't think so, particularly when you listen to these great callers and the content of their calls.
Speaker 2: But in talk radio, which tends to be male dominated, to.
Speaker 1: Get three female callers together on any topic, what would anecdotally tell you something very important, and I think there's rationale for it as well. But I've got my theory. But in the minute we have before this break, why do you think we just got three female callers in a hurry together on the issue of tariffs.
Speaker 5: I think there are still a lot of traditional households DAN where the women run the pocket book and they keep track of expenses and you know, I'll operate the credit cards and know what's coming in and what's going out, and they have a better understanding of that than many men do.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: I think that's that's an excellent part of this. My own theory would extend to and listen, I love our children more than I can imagine loving anything right other than God himself. I think women, women who give birth to children, et cetera. I think women have as a group just this powerful, powerful fixation.
Speaker 2: On the long term.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm out there trying to kill the next beast right to to you know, feed the family, I think, and I'm not trying to, you know, stereotype, but I think women have this powerful focus on the long term.
Speaker 2: And I think our.
Speaker 1: Callers just epitomize, you know, you know, these these smart women who just are looking toward the future and they want the best for the future, and they know we're in a cycle now that cannot continue, right, This cannot continue with the big deficits and everything else, and it cannot continue with kind of the core of America being hollowed out, you know, as manufacturing goes to these other countries that are competing with us economically, if not militarily. And so I think that's where a lot of that comes from. So really interesting to see that. But again my belief is Democrats are freaking because they think it's going to work, and that would be the end of the modern Democratic Party.
Speaker 2: Look at the maths.
Speaker 1: When people start to make it's not even seventy five thousand. I'm married on the high side. When they start to make seventy five thousand or more, they vote Republican in significant numbers.
Speaker 2: You're on the Dan Kapla Show.
Speaker 3: And now back to the Dan Caplis Show podcast.
Speaker 4: The works is not liberation Day, It's recession day in the United.
Speaker 1: That is Jeffries, Democrat House Leader Jeffries. Hey, here's what's really going on that the Democrats aren't afraid that the tariffs are going to cause a recession, that Democrats are petrified that the tariffs are going to succeed, because if the tariffs succeed, the Democrats in America are done. It's the math once people start making. In fact, it's less than seventy five thousand, once people start making that, they're voting Republican in significant majorities. So let's go back to the phone lines. They've been exploding on the tariff's issue. Full disclaimer. I'm not an expert. I've not spent my life reading about tariff studying tariffs. I trust Trump on this for the reasons I explained. Let's go to the phone lines. Let's go up to Beautiful Boulder, Color. I don't talk to David. You're on the Dan Caplis Show.
Speaker 10: Welcome, Hey Dan, it's been way too long month.
Speaker 2: Hit. When do you get out?
Speaker 10: That's my own personal prison, sir.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, happy to visit.
Speaker 10: He I did like you to bumper music too, before the Little Red Corvette. What is it? That's something new? I haven't been as an avid of listeners I usually am.
Speaker 1: I had no idea what that was. I was about to call nine one one. What was that?
Speaker 2: Ryan? And why did we play it before? Little red corvette because I.
Speaker 3: Got ten thousand things going on back.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so I messed up.
Speaker 3: I apologize. That's never happened personally to David and Boulder.
Speaker 2: It marked the date. This is a first, but but David caught it. Go ahead, my friend, you know, I'm an abbot.
Speaker 10: But so nonetheless, I built a lot.
Speaker 7: Of carbons and stuff for the last twenty five years.
Speaker 10: And on March first, all the parts costs went up.
Speaker 7: About twenty five percent.
Speaker 10: It is going to be an absolutely brutal slug.
Speaker 7: This is the second biggest piece of our economy after healthcare.
Speaker 2: And these are foreign industry. These are foreign.
Speaker 10: Parts, right that exactly parts parts, parts, so they cooked all over the world.
Speaker 7: Okay, and it's going to be ugly for everybody involved, sadly. And it's that for how long?
Speaker 10: You know, we're going to guess for six months because we're hoping, wishing, you know know what they say, hope in one hand and do something in.
Speaker 2: The other hand.
Speaker 10: See which one fills up first when the truth sir?
Speaker 1: Who now, David, let's get back to parts. So for how long are we going to be hurting like that? Because the whole idea, right is get that stuff made here.
Speaker 7: It's not going to ever be made here because that twenty five percent tariffs not strong enough, because the labor costs in Vietnam are like seventy five percent less than the cost So.
Speaker 2: Do you think Trump's stupid?
Speaker 7: Cool?
Speaker 10: You know, I'm not a big Trumpet, right right?
Speaker 2: But do you think he's Do you think he's stupid? Do you think he wants to fail his alma mater, which.
Speaker 7: Is considered the greatest business school in the country, if not the world. They don't like it.
Speaker 10: Experts are telling you something that book now different than Larry and Greely saying let's just give him a chance.
Speaker 2: Well, well, David, this.
Speaker 1: Is how our relationship frazzles because you avoid direct questions. I don't remember a president Wharton. I know of a President Trump. So Trump got elected president for a reason, and one reason was the economy was really good when he was president until COVID. So, so you tell me, do you think he's stupid? Do you think he wants to fail? Now, obviously he's not stupid. Obviously he wants to succeed. Doesn't guarantee this will, but but it brings me back to my point. Okay, how long before these parts start getting made in the US and and you talk about the price of tea in China. Now, let's let's bring it back to Trump not being stupid. So, okay, Trump wants these parts made in the US. Right, do you think Trump is going to require let's pick what's your favorite foreign car?
Speaker 7: I'm a BMW guy.
Speaker 1: Okay, wow, I was going to say that, But let's pick BMW. Let no, no, no, and no knock on BMW. But but let's say BMW. Okay, do you really think that President Trump is going to say there and sit there and say, okay, BMW, it's a twenty five percent tariff forever. No BMW comes in and they commit to okay, here's what we're going to open in the US, and here's when we're going to open it. And then there's some kind of verification put in place, and then boom, all of a sudden, the tariff's taken off of BMW.
Speaker 7: From BMW specifically, their advantages they went from like KMAT they sund like eight of their cars in the US, or SUV's, which.
Speaker 2: Are also they make a lot of them here already.
Speaker 10: Right, take all of them here for the world. Basically, I'm made in South Carolina. Yeah, yeah, side on sided, it's all the parts that go in the car, all the chips that come from Taiwan to go in the car.
Speaker 7: So so it's fifty five percent domestic forty five percent, or maybe it's the other way, forty five percent domestics and fifty four in parts in an American made car.
Speaker 10: Man, just say, David up on the twenty five verse.
Speaker 7: On the fifty five percent of parts.
Speaker 1: And David, respectfully, weren't you one of the people called the show saying Trump was going to start World War three when he got elected in sixteen. So hey, listen, I understand the fair questions out there about terriff.
Speaker 10: I know Ukraine one on day one, there's gonna be peace in the Middle East, that's yeah. And you know I'm in Ukraine. I'm a Ukrainian pulish man. I would psyche for that to be over. I'm a little bit creshfalling that it.
Speaker 7: Didn't happen on day one the way of promise in the campaign. But yeah, yes, you and I both knew that was the reality of the scenario.
Speaker 2: Well it's listen. The date Trump became elected President.
Speaker 1: The conversation shift from can there be peace to when will be piece? That's a pretty big day one shift. Hey, appreciate the call, my friend. Thank you, David, and listen, I understand there are a lot of really smart people out there, including some people I really respect, who disagree on tariffs, and you know, they believe tariffs won't work. They have logic behind them. I'm not calling them idiots or Trump haters or anything like that. I'm just explaining why I have confidence in Trump on this and why I think the goal he's trying to pursue is worth some substantial risk. Three all three someone three eight two five five text dam five seven seven three nine lines lighten up on this. We'll get to the text as well. But tying into it because of the tariffs, what are now the best American made cay alternatives?
Speaker 2: You're on the Dankapli Show.