Speaker 1: It is eight oh five here Kentucky and his morning news, coffee and company with you here on news radio eight forty whas And we now have a special guest joining us here in studio. It is Adam from Jefferson Animal Hospital. Good morning, Adam, how we doing.
Speaker 2: Naked morning? What a morning? So much going on? Thank you for having us.
Speaker 1: I'm happy to have you here. And first of all, I'll start off by saying congratulations on the big expansion among other things. I know you guys have now been in business for quite some time, but it was earlier this summer, not that long ago actually where you guys had the big announcement with the seven thousand square foot new office in medical space. How how did that all come together and so far? How how has that great news been received by the community.
Speaker 2: Well, it's been received very very well from the community and support from the very beginning. It came together a number of years ago. We needed space. We were you know, to the gills as they say, and just had so many patients and needed space. So, you know, how do you expand on outer loop? You know that's where we are forty five or four outer loop, So we were very lucky to be able to acquire the property next to us.
Speaker 1: And when it comes to that space over there, what what was what space did you acquire previously that was next to it? Because I'm drawing a blank, But you're right next door, correct the where you were?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're right next to and so we're basically across from Kroger over there. Yeah, yeah, on outer loop right there, and there was an office building right next to us, and you know, that was really our only option and I didn't think that was ever going to happen as far as being available, were being available, good timing, right, good time went well. One day we got a phone call and we got into a conversation about, you know, purchasing it, and we were able to We were able to get it in twenty nineteen. So this is really a six year project. And from then we had to change the zoning. Uh it was war one to see one. We had to combine the site, and then we had to submit a plan to the city.
Speaker 1: I'm sure there's a lot that goes into that that most people like myself would never even think about.
Speaker 2: And I was really lucky that the city was very supportive. You know, I'd never built anything I watched, you know, my family build a couple of things, but the city was so supportive. They really they mapped it out. They said, this is what you need to do in different terms of different requirements. It's really like a little mini campus.
Speaker 1: Now, nice, you mentioned your family. How did your family get into sort of this industry, if you will. Where clearly it's it's very much important, very needed, and for a long long time it's been the only the only twenty four to seven animal hospital, which of course means that there are people who are in emergency situations and when they need somewhere to go, they go see you guys.
Speaker 2: They do, and it's been we see cases around the clock every single day, every single night, Nick, It's really incredible. They come from all over the state. They come from Cincinnati, we see a lot of cases from Etown four. We've seen cases over the years in every single zip code and it really started as a need for we have twenty four hour companies in the city. We have you know, Ford et cetera, et cetera, and you know, growing up there, you can make an appointment twenty four hours a day. There you can make an appointment at any time and we'd see people come in off their second shift, third shift Christmas.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. I mean it's you know, you don't plan for that. Emergencies aren't something you planned for, and you guys have been able to provide a resources that. I'm sure maybe people didn't even realize it was there at the time because they'd never been in that situation, but I'm sure they remember it for a variety of reasons. One because of panic fear, what am I going to do it's three o'clock in the morning. To oh wow, I'm glad Try's Animal Hospital is here to help us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And we get so much support from the community, so much thanks. It's really about our staff. Our staff are incredible there there. I mean you're talking about people who are solving emergencies in real time. I mean that's pretty hardcore, right and absolutely at all times. And so we have we have seventy five full time staff. We were ranked these tenth largest women owned business by Business First last year.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: Of that seventy five staff, we've got you know, fifteen to twenty part time. And then we've also got twelve doctors, right, that's you know, who are in there solving emergencies. So we're very lucky. It really is all about our staff.
Speaker 1: That's awesome. Speaks to a good culture for sure. But Adam of Justnam the hospital is with us here in studio. And one thing I learned about when we worked together last year during football season was, I guess it's just ignorance on my part. I never thought of pets donating blood, but it is certainly a thing, and it's it's something people need to be more aware of. You guys have a pet blood blood bank. It's always tough for me to say, but tell us a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: Okay, So our pet blood bank, right, it works just like a human pet blood donation. But this started. We've been doing this about eleven years out of a need or we have a lot of cases with a lot of pet blood loss, you can imagine. And we were shipping our blood in from California, right, not the most efficient thing. So we had our staff bring this to us and said we could do this in house. Right, we could supply our own blood. So with pet blood donation, there are certain requirements for pets in terms of size, right, so you know a dog must be a minimum of fifty pounds. A cat must be a minimum of ten pounds and at least one to seven years old, and they have to be healthy. But canine feline blood donations help us save lives with our procedures and our emergencies that come in. And in return, the donors, the cats and dogs, they get free wellness, free vaccines, free blood panels. We have to make sure your pet is healthy before they can donate blood. We cover all of that, so it works for both sides, and it works and it helps us save lives all the time.
Speaker 1: And if I assume most people who are pet owners love pets in general, and you having your pet donate blood can help save lives of other pets, which that's a mutually beneficial thing for everybody involved. And I know last year you guys launched the pintes per Pausing People event. You're going to bring it back this year in late September. Tell us what we need to know about that for those who maybe want to come out take part in it, or just learn more information.
Speaker 2: We're so lucky to do this. We're doing this with the American Red Cross. This is the second year that we're doing this. We're just so lucky the American Red Cross. It's September twenty seventh at forty five oh four Outer Loop that's our main hospital, and it's called Pines for Paws and People, meaning it's for blood donations for people. You can go out and you can give a blood donation yourself. You can also bring your dog, your pet and learn about pet blood donations and also sign up for pet blood donations. And we're going to have food trucks and different activities. But it's a learning event to learn them about blood donation and a giving event for people to also give blood. So we're really lucky to do this with the American Red Cross for the second year.
Speaker 1: I would imagine last year there were many people that thought, Okay, I like the sound of it, but I'm moneyasy having my pet go through the process. I'm sure this event will put them at ease and let them know that it's safe and obviously it goes a long way.
Speaker 2: It helps one hundred percent, and we can answer all your questions and our staff they have these different diagrams and visual aids and they go through the process and each donation can save up to two to four lives.
Speaker 4: That's wow.
Speaker 1: Think about that.
Speaker 2: For us. Yeah too. I mean it's a big deal. It really goes a long way. And so September twenty seventh, there we go.
Speaker 1: Petbloodbank dot Com is the website where you can get more information. Again, it's Adam from Jefferson Animal Hospital. Appreciate you coming in and I'm sure we'll see again soon.
Speaker 2: Nick, I appreciate thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Congrats on all these success and the mini anniversaries. Again forty five years as a continuous twenty four hour service in Louisville. So congrats to you guys.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get an update on Trabbick and weather coming up right here right now on WHOS Radio eight forty whas. It was great to see Adam from Jefferson Animal Hospital who stopped in there. And I was just thinking during the break about the hesitancy that many pet owners would have as far as their pet going through the process of donating donating blood. And obviously it could be you could be hesitant. But that's why that event pins for Pauls and people in late September is one where you can get all your questions answered and help save the lives of pets. Again, I probably shouldn't admit to such ignorance at times about just not knowing certain things. But I was just a dumb sports guy and now I'm, I guess, just a dumb guy trying to learn how to do news talk and yes, self duprecation. It's just it's it's part of me, unfortunately. But any anyways, if you guys want more information, go to pet bloodbank dot com, because again, that's who wouldn't want to help save the lives of pets, And it's something that can easily be done by giving blood having your pets donate blood. So just just keep that in mind.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: We'll talk coming up here in about ten minutes with Rory and Neil of NBC News because Rory he joins us each in every day. And what we're going to discuss is where the state of Kentucky has come in as far as rankings in the latest the latest survey that tells us which states are the best to live in. And I'm assuming it's not going to be great, but maybe I'll be surprised. Also, foodstamps is now considered something different. Snap benefits is what it is, and there's been a real push to have the those benefits adjusted to where you no longer can use it to get things that are not healthy for you, because since the beginning of time, it's always been something viewed as as something that is used to get nutritious food. Well, candy soda is that stuff that's clearly not healthy. So Roriyo talk to about talk to us about that coming up here in just about ten minutes or so. But what I do need to tell you about is the summertime sizzling deals that they've got going on at Tri County Ford. It's the Summer Sales Event. Check this out. You can enjoy zero percent APR financing, no cash down, no payment for ninety days, plus get a two year twenty five thousand mile maintenance plan on most new forwards, or you can sit up to twelve thousand dollars off the MSRP on the twenty twenty four f one fifty and the twenty twenty four Expedition. Look, when it comes to purchasing a vehicle, maybe you're somebody that just doesn't think about going to a lot, going to a dealership. Well, I'm telling you you'll get the best experience throughout the process when you go see my friends at Tri County Ford. The sales staff that has worked there, they've worked there for a long long time. Not a lot of turnover at Track any four because it's been a family own business for a long long time. They take care of their customers, they take care of their employees, and they will give you a great experience and again some great deals going on. So kick off your summer in style at trock Hounting Forward just ten minutes from louisll in Oldham County, Exit eighteen or five seventy one. I cannot believe how quickly the last four hours roughly have gone. But Tom flaws when you're having fun.
Speaker 3: Right, fantastic. Yesterday's show for us flew by pretty fast too. It was pretty heated, it fun.
Speaker 1: So Mayor Greenberg joined you guys to discuss obviously the big story here locally still I believe when it comes to just the situation Friday with the kidnapping home invasion, we all know the details of it. But I want to ask you, as somebody who is an elder to me, I mean not an old man, but you're older than me, when did you know of shock probation? Like when you realize somebody can get sentenced to prison but yet not serve really any of the time.
Speaker 3: Because I remember the shot formation was exclusively I thought in my image. You asked what my image was for twenty years, was someone got a dy and they killed someone or they ran somebody off the road. They don't even remember it. They're not terrible people. It's some twenty two year old, you know, college student, and they do a year or two and then they shot probate him out. You know. That was my experience with shock probation.
Speaker 1: But it's similar here because I learned of it after a former high school teacher was sent to prison because of being involved in a sexual relationship with a girl that was I believe seventeen, so she wasn't actually I mean, you know, still it's illegal. He was sentenced, but he got shock probation, had no history criminally, and I just didn't even know that was a thing at the time, and clearly now that I'm well aware that it's a thing. But I just this scenario where this individual Langford was let out after again being pretty consistent at showing he's a violent criminal. If you want to consider the mental health issues that he suffers, whatever, fair enough I mean, I'm not going to claim that's not real thing, but that doesn't make him less dangerous to society. That was a decision clearly made that was a wrong one. But I just I would love to have been a fly on the wall whenever there's a discussion going on, or maybe it's just that judge individually deciding, yeah, this is what's best for everybody involved, because clearly it wasn't. And now there's a family that has been left with a traumatic experience and something I can't even imagine going through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he held the machete to the daughter's neck while they were doing that and said he would kill them if he didn't get the money, ended up stabbing the mom. It is whether he is he's a scumbag, and whether he understands he knows he's a cycle path and doesn't belong on the street. The system failed both of them. They failed the criminal and they failed the family. They did fail this criminal community because he should have been kept in And the change certainly now is good, meaning that moving forward, this exact situation would not play out. But it also reminds you of there was a time before this was in place, this new bill that let a lot of violent people out in the community. And yeah, I tell you what did you see? Did you happen to see the football story with him?
Speaker 1: No, this is crazy. He played football at Western High School and he ended up going to Lindsey Wilson College in an AI school in Columbia, Kentucky and his I don't think he stayed long. But he was on their website on their roster and they have trivia questions to learn about players, and one was what do you like most about about football? And his quote was he can hurt people and it's legal. That makes me You can't make that up, right? Yeah, but is that not a I mean again mental I'm not a.
Speaker 3: Well Dick Bucket says that in sixty one it means something completely different, of course, but.
Speaker 1: But now knowing what this I mean, like, it's hard for That's something that was said when he was much that it's hard for me to ever think that, like with this hit, the life that he's lived with this point that like he's a violent criminal and knows it.
Speaker 3: John Channon, do you have the sound from Wave three from the lady that he attacked in his car in her car? Did you get that.
Speaker 5: Sound no, we did not get anythink she's in her.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say it's hard to guess women's age. She's in her sixties, elderly black lady. She had the hat on and the and she was dressed really nice. And she said, well, I was at the ATM and when my car was about to come out, he grabbed my arm. She bit him, and when the money came spitting out, he grabbed the money. Well, she said, I'm not giving up. She revs the engine and hits him with her car, runs him over, and then says, well, I was put in reversion. I was going to run him back over, and he got up and ran away. And I said that lady is my hero.
Speaker 1: So satisfying to hear, isn't it?
Speaker 3: Because she looks like she was on the way to go to a Bible study. Right, she had the hat and she looks so nice, and she was so funny. She goes, I bit him and then I ran him over at my car.
Speaker 1: Yeah, whatever you gotta do, right.
Speaker 5: You know, whether you guys realize it or not, you both, in statements you made here just a minute ago, gave perfect reasons why Langford did not need shock probation. Tony, you said, he claims he doesn't realize what he did.
Speaker 3: Yeah, was wrong.
Speaker 5: Nick, you said, you pointed out his mental history, uh, and his violent issues in the past. Those two things, right, there should have been enough to, in my opinion, negate him from even being considered for shock probation and somebody that needed to stay locked up for the protection of the citizens of.
Speaker 1: Jeff You can do the biggest advocate for rehabilitation and still make the decision. Yes, we're not to the point where this is safe for this individual or society.
Speaker 5: Oh yes.
Speaker 3: But the Christy Miller we had on yesterday it runs Judge dot com. She she she's a watchdog for the judges. She said, this is unusually.
Speaker 1: I've seen her on TikTok.
Speaker 3: Yeah, she's great, she's awesome, and she well and she went on to say, most days, you know, nine of the sixteen judges show up on average. But she she even said, this is a this is an extreme case that usually doesn't happen. But how did this happen? We need to find out.
Speaker 1: But when there's an extreme case, you hope that you get lucky. And we and we didn't hear this was this was an example of what happened to that Mike. It's limp, I know, needs.
Speaker 4: To go to Yes, needs to see doctors. Yeah, go see doctor Wood. Who'll get that mic fixed. It's just it's doctor over there. He'll get you squared away, Grow up doctor. What's a professional? I know my chiropractors. Kevin dick Out is Kevin dick Out is his name. He's on Preston Away.
Speaker 1: Shout out to that guy, all right name, good stuff? All right, Tony and dwid are coming your way next right here on Who's Radio? Wait Forardy WJAS