Speaker 1: You're listening to episode sixty nine of Game Spot after Dark. This week we chat about some nice things we're thankful for and discuss Assassin Screen, Valhalla, and more Demon souls. Hello, and welcome to episode sixty nine. Nice, nice, nice of Game Spot after Dark, your weekly video game podcast, Official game Pod. Gay, I can't talk. I don't know what I'm saying. I reversed the order in there somewhere, but anyway, it's episode sixty nine. We're going to talk about video games and only video games most likely.
Speaker 2: You know us may not know.
Speaker 1: But before we do any of that, Sean Luke, do you want to talk a little bit about Extra Life, because I've been talking about it for the past couple of weeks, but you are the show runner here and it's working a little differently this year, and it's already started, so.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, yeah, Extra Life has already started. It was kicked off last Saturday by Michael Hyam, who did a twelve hour stream i'd say by himself, but actually I think Ben was in there for most of it with him, So shout out to Ben as well for being his cohort in that. And yeah, then that was followed up on Monday with Jake and Timore doing Demon Souls, and the idea is that we're just going to kind of do a couple of streams throughout the year with different members of the staff who want to participate. We're trying to get five thousand dollars is our goal this year. We're shortening it because it's been a rough year. You know, we we don't want to ask for too much of people, but you still think Extra Life is a good cause. It's worth giving to. Especially this year. Kids need some some some love and support. Hopefully these kids can get themselves a hot News five series X with this money.
Speaker 1: The Gamers ruined Christmas already.
Speaker 2: Viral tweet.
Speaker 1: The Gamers have The Gamers have destroyed yet another thing.
Speaker 3: You know what somebody said on Twitter that I thought was a great idea is if you're giving away, if you don't need like your PS four or your one X, donate it to to like a local children's hospital or something like that and give it to some kids that need it, because I think they try and have systems like that, but they're usually pretty outdated. So rather than like you know, try and sell it or just throw it away, like give it to some kids, give it to some kids that need it.
Speaker 4: There's way more kid appropriate games on existing consoles then on the PS five and Series X, because I feel like none of those kids are going to be playing Demon Souls. I don't think. I don't know. I got I got into M rated games really early, so yeah, maybe not.
Speaker 2: But also check if you're going to donate to a hospital that they accept it, and that, like, especially given COVID, you know that there's a suitable way of doing that.
Speaker 1: Well. Anyway, before we get into the topics of this week, we're going to talk about what we've been playing. Jean Luke, do you want to start with that? All right?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I've been playing for the past three weeks. I've been playing Destiny to Beyond Light, the newest expansion. It dropped a smack dab in the middle of console launches same day as Series X, and I decided I'm going to spend my time not playing Demon Souls, not playing well, actually I have been playing Demon Souls, but I've been spending most of my time playing Destiny and it's really good. I like it a whole lot. It's it's not gonna blow anyone's socks off in terms of you know, like if if you're somebody who's like kind of fallen off Destiny or you know, hasn't interested you before, like nothing about it's gonna change all that much. But I think it's a really really good expansion, especially as someone who who has stuck with it it. There's some really good payoffs, Like if you're if you're like me and you're like into the lore, if you're a lore nerd, there's some really good stuff. They pay off a lot of plot threads they've been building up for years. I don't want to spoil it, I guess for like people who I feel like either you you don't care or you already know all this.
Speaker 2: There is no middle ground with There is.
Speaker 3: No middle ground. But they they pay off a character from Destiny one who showed up in the Vanilla campaign and then they like dropped completely and they brought them back, and yeah, like I feel like they've just gotten really a lot better at the storytelling, Like like the story some of Destiny's best story is always like in those like lore books, you have to read. So it's like, hope you like reading if you want to like get to the good stuff. And now now it's like they're finally figuring out that you can actually deliver that stuff in like cut scenes and dialogue, and I think they've they're finally striking a good balance where it feels like you can just play the game and actually get more more of the narrative without without having to read all the time, although there's still plenty of reading.
Speaker 1: How's the raid, because I know you've just finished that right last night?
Speaker 3: Yes, I mean it last night. It's fantastic. This is actually my first time ever doing a raid like right when it launched and doing it blind. I've always like gone in with people who like like like years after it's happened or months after, and they like explain it to me. And so this is the first time I've ever actually like gotten to have that like fresh rate experience. It's freaking awesome. Like there there is nothing more satisfying than like as a group like collectively like okay, like figuring out the little pieces like you're like, all right, this guy drops this thing and we need to you know, oh what happens if we put it over here, like oh, it activated this and then like you're kind of like puzzling it together and figuring it out. We did hit a roadblock, so the first the first night was we went for twelve hours and we got stuck on the second encounter, which is apparently the big encounter that everyone got stuck on. We figured out how to do it. It was just like the execution of it was really tough. I think we gave up at midnight when we literally got him down to one hit left. And then just like the boss basically like makes copies of themselves and you need to find like the right copy and if you shoot the wrong one, you instantly lose, and we wouldn't. And at the end, the boss like cycles through rapidly, so you're like, shoot that one, No, shoot that one, And then we couldn't find the last one because he was hiding behind like a pillar and we're like, oh, which one is it?
Speaker 4: Uh uh, I think it's.
Speaker 3: That one, And then like we lost and we had one sliver. Heartbreaking, but that was so when when you do it day one, they have a thing called contest Mode and where it like limits it gets everyone's power level so that everyone has like an equal shot to try and get world's first. So we did it yesterday, two days after and contest mode is off and we completely smoked that boss our first try, like no problem, which was super satisfying to do.
Speaker 1: And then and then get one of those jackets.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, So the jacket, it's it's a midlely a cool jacket. You can get your gamer tag name on it. I won't do that if I get it, I'm definitely not doing that, although I think you can just put in whatever you want, so maybe, like I don't know, I could put my last name sixty nine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I just.
Speaker 3: Put sixty nine on it. But it is like one hundred and seventy bucks, and I'm like, oh, I have to I have till the end of the year to think about if I actually want to get it. Though they have some.
Speaker 4: Cool merch though I really want. They had this like spicy Ramen shirt. I really really want it. Oh, it was so cute.
Speaker 3: I think it is legitimately the coolest thing. Where like they do where if you by like beating challenges in the game, you get the opportunity to buy exclusive merch for that. So like every time you beat a seal for like each season, you can buy a little pin that like has the seal on it. But you can only do it if you, like, you know, unbeat that seal within a certain amount of time. And I think that's so cool like that that's a I don't know if other games do that, but that's a really neat way to like kind of like encourage your commuting and give them like something very tangible to shoot for if that's what they're interested in.
Speaker 2: You can tell how uh not attached to Destiny Am because when you said be a seal, I said cute because I thought it was an animal a seal, and then and then you kept talking. I was like, oh no, I was very wrong.
Speaker 1: Oh well, anyway with that, Cali, do you want to revisit your animal crossing minute? Your animal crossing corner? I forgot what we decided to call it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, whatever it's called, I'll talk about it. I took my first Animal Crossing break because of the console launch, so I hadn't played in over a week, and I was scared because in the I was scared.
Speaker 2: I haven't been on since like April.
Speaker 4: Well, I was really scared because in the past the villagers are like like really mean to you and like guilt you and stuff. Like in the older games, they like used to be like, if you did something to make them not like you, they'd be like, why are you so ugly? Oh so I know they wouldn't do that anymore, but I was still kind of nervous about being guilted. But like all the villagers were just like, Oh, it's so good to see you. I bet you got caught up in a good book. Oh god, I wish it was really busy. But I cleaned up my my weeds and then it was back on track, and I'm excited for Turkey Day because I need something to do with Hi Greg, with all of my pumpkins, And of course I tweeted about it incessantly, But the most important thing was the added storage because I had so much garbage, well not garbage, like stuff that I needed that couldn't fit in my house, and I would just put I just had a bunch of stuff on the ground. I had like a grave yard of items, just like a bunch of pumpkins littering my front yard of my house. And it was just a disaster. And I was like, how I'm going to decorate around this, I don't know. And then they were like it was like the light had broken through the clouds and shined upon me and the angels saying, and then I could put everything away and it was amazing. And I'm just having a great time with my clean, open spaces and trying to figure out how to fill them with actual decor again. And what else is?
Speaker 2: So what's new with Turkey Day and all the new update beyond storage that.
Speaker 4: Is, Oh, yeah, there's way more to it than in the storage. They added a bunch of hairstyles specifically like for like black players, which I think is really awesome. That's something that like people were asking about on Twitter, especially for a really long time, and it's interesting because you're seeing more of that. But I wasn't expecting that feedback to reach a Japanese company. Not that like a Japanese company is not capable of that, but I just think there's an extra language barrier to getting that feedback versus something like the SIMS where they've been incorporating more customization options for a wider range of skin tones. Yeah, and it's an intend.
Speaker 1: So doesn't listen to people if they don't want to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And like animal crossing has made some strides in the past, Like you didn't get to pick your skin color before you just had to go outside and tan. So that was a really pleasant surprise. And so there were small things like that. They added some reactions. You can sit on the ground now, very big people are loving the sitting. I've seen a lot of very cute pictures. Yeah, lots of pictures of Uh. Did Andrew send you the picture of him sitting with all his dogs?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, he sent me just he was upset because his character sits wider than the dogs and he's like, why am I man spreading photo? So there's stuff like that, But the actual like big events are Turkey Day and Toy Day were added in this update. So Turkey Day is the Thanksgiving one obviously by the name, I'm not sure exactly how it works because I don't time travel. I just visit other people's islands for their time travel, So it's not like I'm above time travel. I just would lose track and not know what day it was anymore. It's involves cooking and there's a bunch of diys you can get. So there's some items like a gorgeous like Thanksgiving table and a Thanksgiving fireplace, and like a bunch of food items and stuff that you can diy and then Toy Day is where Jingle the Reindeer comes to your town and it's you deliver toys and stuff, and there's a ton of like toy themed items, like a dog plushy that like runs. I have a friend who made a like a dog sled like dogs pulling a sleigh kind of with the plushies because they're like running in place. It's really cute. There's like a t Rex. There's an RC helicopter that when you interact with it, it actually flies up into the air. So there's like a lot of like cold toy items that you can get, and then a bunch of new di Wis as well, so you know, it's just like more of the same kind of new seasonal event gives you new di Wise, new items, and a new activity to do that would have been in the game, but Nintendo just wanted you to experience his experience it in real time, so that's why they wait to put it in the game. And they also confirmed a January update. I'm hoping that one's Brewster.
Speaker 2: I'm hoping we get Brewster.
Speaker 4: We've been waiting for Brewster for a really long time and I'm hoping they add more design slots. That's my next wish. I never thought they would add more storage, so maybe I'll add more design slots and uh, and I'm just you know, I'm back at it. I've been decorating. I've been farming for di Wise, which means I stand on my beach for four hours a night while watching trash TV and I wait for the balloons to come, and then I get the di Wise and then whatever ones I already had I sent to Andrew in the mill because he didn't have any, and I felt bad.
Speaker 1: I also try to sound really boring. Island transfer thing that they added with this update, and it is a pain in the ass. That works because so I played on a regular switch because I was capturing a lot for videos, and I can't do that on my switchlight. So I just figured, oh, when I can, I'll just transfer it over.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Obviously you couldn't do that originally with Animal Crossing, and they said they were going to add a feature later which adds cloud saves and the ability to transfer islands. In order to do that, you have to download a separate island transfer app on both consoles that you want to transfer it to. And then you have to go through all of these settings, and it like has issues if two or if more than one user has a house on the island that you're trying to transfer to a different switch that doesn't have those same users, it's a pain. I don't get why I just can't upload my safe to the cloud and download it or just do like a simple save transfer like I would for any other game. I'm sure there's a reason why, but because you'd be able to.
Speaker 4: Duplicate items like crazy.
Speaker 1: Sure, but like Pokemon got around it right, like I was able to transfer my save and like that. They arguably they're probably more worried about people duplicating items in Pokemon or duplicating Pokemon than duplicating items and animal crossing.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like not actually a big deal. I don't know why they're so strict about it, But you did successfully get it to work.
Speaker 1: I did get it to work, and then I went to my island and fix some weeds and didn't talk to any villagers because I was afraid they'd be mad at me. They won't because it was their first time I turned it on since July.
Speaker 4: They're very nice. It's so much better than in the past where they'd be like, where have you been? And for anyone if this is your first Animal Crossing game. Back in my day, villagers used to just move out. They would just move out without telling you, and if you skipped a day you'd come back in your favorite villager would have been gone. And they don't do that anymore. So, so check your privilege is what I have to say say about that.
Speaker 1: I actually kind of missed in the villagers were a little bit meaner. I liked having some villagers that were just straight up dicks to you. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Have you seen the screenshots of like the GameCube Animal Crossing where they're like, get your ugly giant head out of my town? Like get Yeah, yeah, it's good.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Lucy, you've you've been playing Assassin's Creed Valhalla. Are you almost done with that game? I heard it's very long.
Speaker 2: No, I had to start over again.
Speaker 1: Oh no, yeah, I got I got that.
Speaker 2: Annoyed of it. So the tld O is I was playing Assassin's Cree Valhalla originally on Series X and because I did a lot of capture for our graphics comparisons working together with Jake and Mix on those, I used my save because it has cross platform saves thanks to us off Connect use that on PS five and I was capturing some stuff and I was capturing specifically for a tips video, and there was a bit that Jordan had written where he said, if you liked the ten beacons on Hadrian's Wall, not only just a great Lord of the Rings reference, you get a trophy. I did that and it didn't pop, and so I did it again because I thought, oh, maybe the beacons went out, didn't pop, And I did a story thing didn't pop, and I was like, tried it on Xbox, same stuff didn't pop, and so everything, and I was like, Okay, well, I know I don't need achievements and trophies to have fun with the game, but I like to use achievements and trophies as a way of looking back on things that I've done. And also, if I'm going to be spending one hundred and twenty hours or something in an RPG, I want to be able to look back. So what I did I did some testing, I leaded my local save from my PS five, I disconnected my account from Ubisoft Connect. A new level of bullshit is you can't play Assassin's Creed Valhalla while connected to the Internet without connecting to Ubisoft Connect, so I have to play the game completely offline. But shit's popping again. So we've got a work around. But I mainline the story and I'm actually back to where I was already because most of most of my playtime are on the original one. But the yeah, the most of the stuff I was doing with a capture so I could. I got back.
Speaker 1: It was fine.
Speaker 2: But honestly, like, I'm still really enjoying that game. And in terms of like differences between the two platforms, like the one thing I'll say is, first of all, just the screen tearing is the biggest issue that I've found. Like the screen tearing on Xbox is bad, Like.
Speaker 1: On serious x It's real bad. I didn't notice much. I noticed a little bit, but I didn't see a lot of it.
Speaker 3: Do you have a VRR TV, Jake, I have.
Speaker 1: I'm playing on a monitor one hundred and forty four. It hurts refresh rates, so maybe that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my TV doesn't have VRR and I like went through all the settings and all that stuff, and so it's really bad on my TV, whereas on PS five it's not an issue. Thoughts on the game, though, like beyond what I've already said is that I'm really really enjoying it. It's a very like I like the main story because it's nice to see a period of time depicted that I've actually really learned about, and also it being set in the UK it's nice. But also just the side stuff is really fun, like just going around and collecting everything and mopping up areas. And I'm not stealthy this one because the game doesn't really encourage you to be a stealthy assassin, which is fine. I have started to do like backseat game development where I'm like, ah, but what if they changed all the the modern day pieces, like because right now you still have that late you still have Leila, you still have Rebecca and Sean, and like you have those bits where it pulls you out of the game, and it's like, I wish they would go back to what they tried to do with Black Flag, where you were an Absturbo employee and like you were reading through files and stuff because it was all it was all about you, which I really liked, like it was in first person. I think that would be way more interesting instead of Laila who's fine. I just don't care stop pulling me at the Animus game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like we didn't really talk about it much on this podcast because we couldn't when we first got it. All we could say was looked.
Speaker 2: Oh no, we could only we could only discuss our emotions after playing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it was. So we like talked about it for a couple of minutes and moved on and then we tell about the new consoles and didn't really talk more about Valhalla. But yeah, I played about thirty hours of it and really enjoyed it. But I don't know if I'm gonna have time to go back to it.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. Like I'm triple wielding Assassins Yakuza and Demon Souls, and I'm also like quietly just getting the platinum for Astrobot in the background.
Speaker 3: Ye, it's like it's so good, so good, and so like, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know, I'm kind of happy, just kind of bouncing between these games at the minute.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I've just been playing Demon Souls. I started up Astrobot, played a little bit of Astrobot, started up spider Man, played a little bit of Spider Man. But I was just like Nope, just demon souls. That's all I think about. I'm trying to platinum that one. Which is the platinum for that one? It depends how you look at it. You definitely can't do it in like one or you could probably do it in two playthroughs. Maybe No, I don't think you could do it and do play throughs because to get all the miracles, I think you need you need some souls that you have to use to get spells. So I think you have to do it a couple of times. That being said, like because it is a soul's game, once you know what you're doing, you can get through that game pretty quickly, especially if you just do it on co op. Like Tomorro and I for the Extra Life live stream last night, we were just playing co op and we burned through it, like we finished. We finished two and a half areas I think three areas about and like the three hours we played. So it's pretty easy to get through that. But some of the some of the trophies are pretty fun, like it's beat this boss with these specific items, beat this boss a certain way. So I was having fun doing that. But man, we talked about a lot last week, but I really liked that game. It's good, it's fantastic.
Speaker 2: Did you guys see it was unmashable. There was an oartscle about I hate my PS five.
Speaker 4: It's a read.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you that. It's Yeah, it's interesting. But he was like, oh, and there's no games for the PS five and I was like, and then he said, oh, I guess there's Demon Souls and no disrespect to Blue Point. But I played this game in two thousand and nine. I was like, excuse me, please give it.
Speaker 1: To a kid for Christmas if you don't like it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like, I feel like there's compared to the PS four, there's a lot of games like yeah, Call of Duty, it's Black Ops, Cold War Over Ghosts as a long scan for PS four, like are you kidding? Superiod, come way Superior, and then it's like Assassin's Creed. You've got uh like Spider Man, you got bug snacks, like get out of here.
Speaker 2: But the songcle was very I will say absolutely, very mean spirited and very jaded. But yeah, the thing that got me was when they were like, oh, yeah, demon Souls. I played this in twousand nine. I was like, yeah, this game looked like that played like that and felt like that in two thousand and like still like obviously the core of the game is intact because it's you know, they've recreated it, but like, piss off with that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I've played I never played the original Demon Souls, but I've probably spent about forty five almost fifty hours and Demon Souls already, which is more than I've ever spent on probably a launch title for you know, any platform, which I think says a lot, even though it is a remake, but just the fact that, yeah, Breath of the Wild.
Speaker 2: That was I forget that was a lunch title.
Speaker 3: Yeah, geez, sorryin much longer.
Speaker 4: To undermine your point, but I had to say it.
Speaker 1: And I'll say it. I like Demon Souls a lot more than Breast of the Wild.
Speaker 4: Ex but not consider them comfortable.
Speaker 1: I mean no, but it wasn't.
Speaker 3: I'm having a lot more fun with it inspired by Zelda. For it's a demons either as Demon Souls or it was Dark Souls, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: I'm just I think it's well, actually it's probably both. Didn't game makers tool Kit do videos on these?
Speaker 3: I think you did, probably feel like you did.
Speaker 1: They're called boss keys and they're about they're about Bloodborne and stuff. So but anyway, that's what we've been playing. Let's move on to topics for the week. All right, and we are back with topics. First things first, there was another Cyberpunk Night City Wire episode five. I'm very excited for Cyberpunk, but I am tired of these Night City Wires. This wasn't This one was a really good one though.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm I'm in the same boat where I don't need to see any more of the game, and yet every time they put something up I watch it.
Speaker 1: I am.
Speaker 2: I am both scared and enticed and excited by the fact that new story of the dev saying that they were they played one hundred and seventy hours and had finished yet, because that kind of makes me feel better about watching all of the promo stuff because I'm like, oh, I'm not seeing everything, But then the other part of me is like, oh, am I going to finish that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that new story gave me an anxiety.
Speaker 3: To I don't know, I always take that with a grain of salt, Like I think there was like a developer who said, like, you can spend five hundred hours and not do everything and Fallout four and it's like no, you can't, like or like you can, but like.
Speaker 1: You can walk around the mass, like, yeah, I can pick.
Speaker 3: Up duct tape for one hundred hours if I want. I guess, like.
Speaker 4: I haven't watched a single Night City Wire because if I'm planning on reviewing a game, I don't really participate in the preview cycle.
Speaker 3: What was this about count Reeves?
Speaker 1: So yeah, it was most about counter Reeves. There was some gameplay stuff in there too, but I think the thing that most people are probably excited and interested about from that was they had a lot of behind the scenes stuff with Reeves him doing mocap and whatnot, which which I thought was fun to watch. It was just cool seeing Keanu Reeves do his thing, and I'm excited to see how all that will translate in game. But yeah, kind of just to go off Lucy's point, like, I feel like we've seen more than enough of this game at this point, to be honest, When they first showed that forty five minutes at E three or whatever back in twenty seventeen or twenty eighteen, I was pretty much done then, Like I was like, I don't really need to see anything else. And I figured like maybe we'd see more at E three, but these these Night City Wires that are happening, you know, every couple of weeks, seem like a bit too much, at least for me. Maybe there's still some people kind of on the fence that need this stuff, but I'm I'm excited. I don't need it at this point.
Speaker 2: It's it's also it's kind of strange, I guess, because we've only ever seen this kind of coverage on games as a service rather than on a single play again. Yeah, so it's it's a strange one, but I do. I like them, and I like seeing the hype around it. I'm very excited for this game. I really hope it's very good.
Speaker 1: I think I'm more interested to see what they do with this Night City Wire thing for future updates, and especially the multiplayer. I think like when they add multiplayer, this format would work super well with that, because that's exactly what the hardcore fans are gonna want for a game that you know, supposedly from I don't know. Our best guess is that this is probably going to be a live service sort of style multiplayer that will update pretty regularly add new missions and whatnot. And I think that format is perfect for it, but for a retail game, that is, you know, you're just getting the entire game in one when it comes out like it seems like it's it's a little too much at this point. That being said, it's still still fun to watch.
Speaker 2: And there's still new stuff. I'm surprised that, like there is still new noteworthy stuff that they have to talk about in the preview cycle because it makes me excited for what is not being talked about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm excited for the music, especially because there was that trailer I sent you, Lucy that had it had an artist that sounded a lot like Trent Reznis.
Speaker 2: I don't like Trent No, he sounds young. He sounds younger. Although I mean, obviously Nine Inch Nails have done a lot of music. Trent and Atticus have done a lot of music for games.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Black Ops too, right was that it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Quake?
Speaker 3: Hey? Now Black Ops two was Avenged Sevenfold.
Speaker 2: I don't know if Avenge No. I think I think Trent Natikus did the score and Avenged Sevenfold because they were in the credits.
Speaker 1: At the end Googles.
Speaker 2: But yeah, they did do Quake because they did on the Store on the nine and Snail Store. Recently they released a vinyl of Quake and they had the thing they were like, oh, actually we have this collection of essays and stuff about working on the game, but a.
Speaker 3: Certain publisher that's really cool.
Speaker 2: A certain publisher won't less, so I don't release it.
Speaker 1: Is it is the Black Ops two main theme. I don't know if they did the whole score for that game, but they definitely did some Black Ops two songs, which you know. But anyway, this is episode sixty nine, and we wanted to celebrate the sixty ninth episode with nice, very nice segment. Lucy, do you want to go with the plan?
Speaker 2: Well, so when we were talking about it this morning, obviously the theme of this episode is nice, so I thought it might be nice try not to do Beach Boys, to like, I don't know, talk about some nice things that have actually happened this year, And in keeping with the fact that it's Thanksgiving in America or it will have been by the time this episode goes up, it might be nice to talk about things, to be excited for, things you're thankful for in this the fucking worst year of all time. So I don't know, I thought, you know, this stuff to be thankful for for sure, like health, friends still, you know, having video games as an escape during these crazy times. So yeah, I don't know who wants to go first.
Speaker 1: I guess I will start. I think the first thing that comes to my mind is that twenty twenty, we created the game Spot discord. More specifically, Joan Nuke created the game Spot Discord, and that has been a beacon of positivity and it has been very nice to kind of bring the community together a little bit to More's mentioned it before on the podcast, but it's kind of hard to see that community with the stuff that GameSpot produces because so many people on the internet come in and just talk shit and complain that usually the nicer stuff and the more positive people kind of get buried, which is something we don't want to happen a lot of times with the Internet, it's just impossible. So the discord has kind of become a sort of bastion of positivity with a lot of great people there talking about games, talking about how they stay in shape, how they're how they're keeping it together during these these times, and honestly it's been great, Like I check it every day and multiple times a day, and I'm very happy we were able to finally get something like that done because I think it's it's it's it's it's very nice.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to think. I like, there's a lot of stuff that I'm thankful for. I'm thankful for, or at least already something that I think is really nice, and I think it's highlighted by not to pimp the game spot much. But like Chris Morris did a video about accessibility in video games this week, and I think it was it was really really good in HITD interview with Steve Saylor and just talking about how accessibility is finally been taking so been taking, is finally being taken so much more seriously by game developers and public and seeing like Steve mentioned something that I didn't even realize, which was like the original Assassin's Creed didn't even have subtitles.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's wild.
Speaker 2: And now, like I remember reading something about subtitles. For example, Ubisoft puts them on by default and they discovered that like ninety something percent of players just leave them on. Like so even though subtitles are something like an accessibility tool, it's like used by everyone and so there's a really good interview from Rod Ferguson a while ago that sounds weird because it was our interview, but he just ran with the thing. But like he talked about accessibility and how it's being handled in Microsoft and their kind of mantra is it's like you build these tools and then you expand them to the entire audience and like even people who don't think they need them or like, it just helps out everyone. And so I am thankful for like more people being able to play games who previously couldn't, Like whether it's by accessibility tools within games, controllers like the accessibility controller, or you know, just being able to use the voice reader and stuff on console. It's really cool and it's like something that's been a very big conversation point this year, I think, like accessibility. Like Steven Spond and Alana did the Accessibility Awards as well, which is really cool to see and see it don't get a platform like that.
Speaker 1: Especially with Last of Us two, right, Yeah, just had like the most comprehensive suite of accessibility options that we've probably ever seen in a video game. Yeah, and it just set like an incredible standard that I hope you know other developers will at least follow it, at least to the best of their ability, because I imagine doing some of that stuff requires a lot of forethought and a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, I mean Microsoft have an internal team. So Microsoft have an internal team, and so like, given that they've now bought a lot of develop us this past couple of years, I think when you say it cost, I assume like now that some core teams have that tech, they'll just it'll be easier to share that knowledge with others.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's even better, John Luke Kelly.
Speaker 4: I because of the pandemic, I've been spending a lot of I've just been I basically moved back in with my parents, but I get to spend a lot of time with my family, and I'm very lucky to be able to do that, because I know not everyone has that.
Speaker 1: The luxury of.
Speaker 4: Being able to spend time with people right now. So I'm very grateful for that. And I'm especially grateful for being able to spend time with my dog because she is old and has a bunch of stuff for wrong inside her body.
Speaker 1: So I mean she.
Speaker 4: Seems fine, but yeah, you never know. So that's been a highlight of my year for sure.
Speaker 3: I think my highlight would be my current apartment, because I was living in a like really cramped one studio apartment with my girlfriend for three years and we kind of like very spurred the moment, like jumped on this new place thanks to Chastity actually, who recommended the place for us, so internally grateful for her, and we moved in like right before the pandemic, and oh boy, I would have not wanted to live in that apartment trying to work from home, stuck in there next to a hospital. It would have just been an absolute nightmare. So yeah, I'm just feeling very thankful, I guess for my current situation. You know, I feel like we're all very lucky that we have a job that lets us work from home do what we can do, and you know, it's it's a privileged thing. But it's like I'm also I'm thankful for new video game consoles. Like, honestly, like it's been it's been a lot of work, Like we've been I feel like, you know, really working our working our asses off here a game spot to like make cool videos for you guys. But also like it has been really nice to just like have like a new thing that I can like distract myself with, especially with the timing of it coming out, you know, with the with the election and all. It was like, oh cool, I can just ignore all that. Yeah, turn on this PS. Five.
Speaker 2: So those loading times, less time to doom scroll.
Speaker 3: Yes exactly. Yeah. No, Like I honestly I am spending less time on Twitter because I don't have to wait for loading screens anymore. It's kind of amazing.
Speaker 4: That's the fix we all needed in our lives.
Speaker 3: I think less time on Twitter, that's what I'm thankful for.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyway, with that, let's head on over to listener questions and are back. Remember you can email us at after Dark Podcast at GameSpot dot com, or you can join our discord and there is a channel and there where you can ask whatever questions you like, within reason, of course, and I will look at them, add them to the doc and maybe we'll get to them during an episode. And today we've got three. The first one comes from Daniel Moreno, Sean Luke, do you want to read this one?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 3: Daniel asks what video game award category would you create that is both unconventional and particular to your personality? Slash interests.
Speaker 1: All right, we cannot mention the cabaret club this section. I know everyone's thinking I'd make a cabaret club a word, but we can't do that this week. We've done it to any episodes.
Speaker 3: The best Jackhu's a Mini game award.
Speaker 4: Nice, nice job finding a loophol John Luke.
Speaker 3: Although actually so I love like weird award categories, like I'm all about like you know, like really diving into like various specific stuff. So I actually would like totally do like a best like game within a game like mini game type category. But the one I thought of was best late title card. I love me a good late title card.
Speaker 2: Assassin's Creed Valhalla will take that for you.
Speaker 3: It's like eight hours in Yeah, oh met me, Yeah I remember, I remember like Assassin's Cared three, bad game, great late title card, Assassin's Creed two, great late title card, X Men Origins, Wolverine, terrible game, amazing late title card. Like I am all about a good late title card. It just like gets you.
Speaker 4: I love how.
Speaker 1: Specific that is.
Speaker 4: I love everything about that.
Speaker 1: I feel it. Though I know where you're coming from.
Speaker 3: I like that too, just because you hype like the Doom Doom Doom twenty sixteen, when it's like you go through that first level and then like you get in the elevator and then like the music starts swelling up and he like cocks the shotgun like to the beat of the music, and then the title hits and you're like, fuck yeah, I'm ready to play some doom. Goddamn it.
Speaker 2: Pray twenty sixteen also a very good title card. Slightly late, not very late, but very good implementation.
Speaker 1: Isn't Red Dead Redemption Two's kind of late as well?
Speaker 3: Oh oh, red Dead one?
Speaker 1: Got it?
Speaker 3: Red Dead one, so Red Dead technically is too late. Has two title cards, has the one at the beginning of the game, but they throw in the title card at the very end of the game, after the credits. Oh, at the very very end, And I'm like, dah, like that's I love that the latest of the latest of title cards.
Speaker 4: I've never noticed this in my life. I don't even know. I mean, I know what you're talking about now, but when you said late title card, I was.
Speaker 2: Like, huh, now, this is all I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: I feel like I'm missing out. This sounds so exciting and fun, like you're really selling it.
Speaker 1: I think for me, the reason why I think of it, I don't know if I can. I don't know if John Luke feels the same. But was editing short films in college and whatnot, because you'd always try to come up with clever places to put the title card, and I'd always put it late because it's like, oh, it's cooler earth, Like, it's just a scene happens, title card shows up, and then you like go onto the next scene. So that's why I think of it.
Speaker 4: My Niche Award category would be best Localization.
Speaker 1: That's a good one. I feel like localization doesn't get enough attention or credit as it does as is, because it seems tough to do.
Speaker 4: It's one of those things that, like you wouldn't notice it if it was really good, unless you were the kind of person who notices language quirks, Like like playing PERSONA five Royal, every character goes for real like every five seconds. Oh yeah, And I originally wanted to play it in Japanese like practice, but I was hearing for real and I was like, oh, I know the exact Japanese phrase that they translated this from, and I just I've hyper fixated on it, like every time they say it, I'm like, I just I think about that, and I think about, like, oh, you know, seriously, might have been more natural? Sound like I just I can't. And then I'm like, sorry, we have I have to check the log because I didn't process any of the last like five dialogue boxes because I was thinking about how I would have, you know, just mixed it up with like are you serious?
Speaker 3: I like never noticed that, but now that you say that, I can absolutely hear.
Speaker 4: Reugi's like, yeah, I'm sorry to point it out. It's not like a criticism or anything. It's just I can I can tell where it came from. So I'm thinking or like the one that everybody made fun of at the very beginning of the game is when you say like please take care of me to so Giro, and it's like, I know, there's just how would I if I was presented with that, because I know what they are saying in Japanese, how would I have made that sound more natural in English? So I think about that kind of thing a lot, And like Jake was telling me about a pet peeve of his with the Witcher, and then I was like, I went on this whole I really I should go back to college and get a degree in linguistics, like get really into it. So that would be my category would be like this one sounds.
Speaker 3: So natural, good job.
Speaker 1: I think mine for an award would be best use. This is a newer one, best use of the dual sense because after playing some games with the dual sense, I'm excited to see what developers do. And yeah, and I think, just have an award highlight.
Speaker 2: Assassin's Creed bad, Call of Duty good.
Speaker 3: I was so disappointed. I was like the four version. When they upgraded, I was really excited, and then they didn't do anything.
Speaker 2: Overwatch is really good?
Speaker 1: Really, what do they do in Overwatch?
Speaker 2: They just they've just like all of the all the abilities like feel like really good. Esp Like I've been playing a lot of Mercy recently and having her healing beam, like there's a constant feedback failing beam, and which is really good.
Speaker 1: In terms of the watch too, though not I don't do this, Jacob.
Speaker 2: In terms of a category that I would like, I would like punny achievement and trophy titles.
Speaker 1: That's good.
Speaker 4: What are some highlights?
Speaker 2: God, I don't even know, but sometimes I just read one. I just really appreciate the joke.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's hard to think the top of your head. But there are so many, like really good ones where you're like or like, you know that gift of like the guy reading sensible chuckle magazine.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, because it zero. I did it for the trophy.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's that's a good one.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Oh there was a there was one recently. Oh man, there was one.
Speaker 4: Bot ones were pretty cute.
Speaker 3: There was one that was really really good. It's gonna bother me.
Speaker 1: Uh in Demon Souls. I just got a trophy called Time for Rolling, which is a good name.
Speaker 2: Wait is it Astro's play room to me? I'm looking up Oh the no, no, no, no, it is a good one. Jason as well, wipe out. I mean there will there will obviously, like PlayStation puns, but like when you get the platinum, it's cold, you've only done everything. I really like it's like this passive aggressive.
Speaker 4: I like when you said Jason, my first thought was Jason, I remember Jason. So yeah, it took me a second.
Speaker 1: Well, next question here is from Carbon. Actually these two questions are kind of similar. Well actually no, probably not, because I bet we won't be relaxing and chilling over Thanksgiving break. Considering we have to submit our Game of the Year list soon and I'm sure a lot of us haven't played some of the games, and we're going to do that over Thanksgiving. So we're gonna start with Carbon first, which is what is your favorite game to relax and chill too?
Speaker 2: Well, threes, Oh that's a good one, Layton. Games like puzzle games. I like Sudoku, I like Pitcross, but I got the Professor Layton on Switch. Well, Catriel Laighton on Switch. That's a very big chill game for me.
Speaker 4: Professor Layton is also just like it gives me Holiday break vibes for some slaxing. Did you ever play Speaking of Pitcross, did you ever play Murder by Numbers?
Speaker 2: No? No yet, I keep meaning too. Is it on sale?
Speaker 1: It?
Speaker 4: I don't know, I mean probably we're approaching Black Friday. But it came out like right or I got the game like right before I got Animal Crossing, and I had to pivot to Animal Crossing for the review, and I really want to go back to that because Pitcross, like puzzle games like that are so relaxing to me, Like I will just like lie in bed and play a puzzle game like that.
Speaker 2: Me too, And that's that's my big thing that I'm going to do this weekend is just like get a blind kit, just play a bunch of games and that's that's good, and eat a lot and drink too, because I took Monday off.
Speaker 1: So who for me? I was gonna say Tutris effects. Maybe not like the harder levels and Tetris effect because some of those are stressful and I'm not really good at Tetris, But some of the slower ones and with the music and vibe and everything, that's a good game too, relax and chill too. I don't know if it's one of those games where I'd like t are on a podcast and listen to a podcast with me, because you kind of want to be in the moment I feel like when you But yeah, I I enjoy playing that quite a bit when I don't really know what else to play and I'm just looking to kill some time.
Speaker 2: I think like good podcast games, a big open world stuff where you just have to go and collect shit. That good podcast games. I can see what's off doing that with Ahalla sean Uck, what.
Speaker 1: Do you got?
Speaker 3: Mine's probably I don't know, like destiny is something because I just like, you turn your brain off and you're just like, I'm gonna go grinding some bounties and shoot some people and put on a podcast or whatever. Also, animal crossing. Animal Crossing has been a really good one this year for me.
Speaker 4: I thought about saying animal crossing, and then I realized that I get like way palmmed about what I'm doing. I'm not actually relaxed.
Speaker 1: All right. So kind of on the back of that, Jacob McCourt asks what are y'all planning on doing over the Thanksgiving break? I imagine for most of us it will be playing lots of games, because, like I said, we have to send in our top ten games soon for Game of the Year deliberations, and usually Thanksgiving break kind of turns into a few days where we try to play rest as many games as possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it is like the mad dash of like all year, You're like, I have plenty of time. I'll just play whatever, I'll do whatever, I'll rewatch Avatar, the Last Airbender, and it'll be fine. And then like Thanksgiving is like I never played Paradise Killer.
Speaker 2: You should Killer, so it's so good. I'm really hoping that more folks play it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and for for context, if you don't know how our Game of the Year deliberations work, there's basically some magical formula where we base our deliberations around submissions from the entire team, kind of like in the aggregate, to help narrow down the initial conversation. There is math involved. I'm not sure who does the math. It might be a spreadsheet that does the math. It is spreadsheet, Yeah, but we have to we submit like a ranked list, and then there are awarded points in the background before we start the meeting. Because it would suck to go into a meeting and be like, so, everybody, what games do you think are good? And then we'd all be shouting out different things and it would be a mess that.
Speaker 1: We don't different things. Yeah, and it's a mess as but.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had a meeting today that was like how should we do this? Over zoom and I was like, I we.
Speaker 3: Don't appear this year, And I feel like he was that was a really good mediator.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just like cutting people off if they were going not in a bad way, but like yeah, keeping everyone on track and be like, no, that's not relevant to the discussion. What happens, keep it back on track.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So so for me, my answer is definitely, like, my priority is to play Hades.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's all.
Speaker 4: We're playing Hades, and then Paradise Killer is another one I want to play. There are a lot of games that, like, I still want to play, but like, I don't feel I need to play them before deliberations because they're like, like I feel like there are plenty of people who can talk about final fantasies, even remake. I don't need to, Like, I don't need to add on to that. They've got that cupboard. I'd rather play some stuff that like I'm personally really interested in that I also think could be a contender for our list. So then I can like have a more thorough list for my self. So yeah, and then you know, eating food with my family gonna be doing that as well. My dad got two pumpkin pies. Hell yeah, I love pumpkin pie. And I looked at the first pie my mom got and I was like, oh, I don't know if that's enough pie. And my dad went to the grocery store today because my mom forgot potatoes, and he got another pumpkin pie. And I was like well, goods that we're covered. I don't have to feel guilty about eating this pie. There's like one for me.
Speaker 1: I think my what I'll probably be doing is trying to get the platinum and Demon Souls. I should be playing other stuff, but I want to get the platinum. I want to get the platinum before Cyberpunk comes out, and I feel like the best chance to do that would be over the break because if my calculations are correct, I think I'm at least going to have to do one more run through that game, which could take a bit. So those are my plans. And then yeah, eating food with family, eating.
Speaker 2: Food with my roommates and they were roommates now. And then I've got calls planned with my family this weekend. Actually don't talk to them every weekend, but given that it's a holiday and I've got a few days off, go and do that, play games. I want to catch up with the undoing. Oh also, it's the Bakeoff finale. But we're mad at Bake Office. It's been ridiculous, not happy. And I know Paul Hollywood says it's based on a week to week performance and previous weeks don't count. Well, that's bullshit poll and you know it is, Laura. It's been in the bottom for so long. I haven't caught up.
Speaker 4: But I watch a lot of competition shows, and I hooreheartedly, horror, wholeheartedly agree.
Speaker 1: That good we got a name for this week.
Speaker 4: I agree that basing it just off of the one week's performance is just absolutely unfair. That happens on Holiday Baking Championship, which is subpar compared to Great British Bakeoff. But I've been watching a lot of like Holiday my Mom, and I've been watching a holiday crafting show.
Speaker 2: Oh you've seen that one on Netflix with Mister Christmas.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 4: I think now I'm changing my Thanksgiving plans. But I really just it's very annoying.
Speaker 2: I miss Mary Berry me too.
Speaker 1: Prue.
Speaker 2: I started off, sorry, it's just gone into bakeoff minute. It's been gone for the last couple of weeks.
Speaker 1: We're back.
Speaker 2: I gave Prue a good shot, but Mary is the Queen. Mary is the og Also Prue her voice, her mouth always sounds claggy when she's just had something to eat, like she needs a sip of water. And I have I have, I have me sophonia, and it just makes me uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: It's not a nice sound. Claggy, it's a good word.
Speaker 2: Claggy is a fund Yeah, it really paints a picture.
Speaker 4: It sure does.
Speaker 2: That's why I like it.
Speaker 4: It's like almost on Amunopia, is what I like about it.
Speaker 1: John Luke, what are your plans?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 3: I'll probably play. I think I need to play more yaku It's already on my list. It's just now how high will it go? I need to play more to determine that, because that could change the entire course of of you know, discussions.
Speaker 2: Look, I feel I feel there's a good contingent of crime. I feel like you're all the crime boys I saw.
Speaker 3: I saw a couple of crime gangs in one of the slick channels the other day. Being like I put Yakuza in my list, I'm like, yes, you.
Speaker 4: Were like retribution.
Speaker 3: Finally this is all what was it? Twenty seventeen, Yeah, twenty seventeen.
Speaker 4: Yakuza has not has had a How do I put this? It's just, you know, it gets it gets shifted sometimes.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, now now's the time. There's never been a better time for Yakuza. So then so there's that, and then honestly, I think we're gonna start putting up Christmas decorations. Georgia is wild about Christmas, and because we aren't visiting my family this year, we're like we have to go hard on the Christmas decoration. So we're already about to fake tree. And she wanted to put up like right away, and I was like, you're and get sick of it. Don't do that, And so I told her after Thanksgiving, so she is like the second thing that tree up, We're going full Christmas mode.
Speaker 4: I think decorating for Christmas is like a really adult thing to do, Like it it gives your place a sense of permanence because I feel like in my life, I like haven't decorated for Christmas because I was leaving the place I was living to go somewhere else, or my parents were doing the decorating. I haven't like lived in a place where I was going to stay there for Christmas and do the decorating myself. So that is the most adult thing I've ever heard of. Yeah, yeah, I've been proud of you guys.
Speaker 3: It'll be our first time fully decorating because it also, like I mean, you know, I mentioned earlier our previous apartment like I think we like got like a really small, dinky tree, but it's like you couldn't decorate in that apartment, Like you added the tree and you're like, okay, well now we have to kind of around the tree around it, you know, so we get into the kitchen, we can actually like put a tree somewhere and put things under it. Very exciting.
Speaker 1: Well, anyway, that's been episode sixty nine. Nice, nice of games, fun after Dark. Thank you all so much for listening, and thank you guys for joining me this week. Before we go, Lucy, what are you working on and where can people find you? Well?
Speaker 2: You, Phil and I had a chat about shagging in Cyberpunk.
Speaker 4: So did you say it like that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: I didn't think I would go fuck off?
Speaker 2: I did, but it's fine. I interrupted, Fine, I started, I started talking, and then I was like should I I'm just gonna it's a video on Sunday after So we did know that that kind of undermines the entire video. So last week John Luke, myself, and Phil did a video about Phil's sixteen hour hands on with Cyberpunk, and then Jake, Phil and I did a video about what sex and relationships are like in cyberpunk, so not only like romantic entanglements, but also just like your relationship with Johnny Silhand, which is like, I didn't realize how much of an important by that game that really is and how you interact with him, And honestly very excited at the prospect of Keanu Reeves just being around all the time, all the time, and so that should be up by the time this podcast goes out. And I'm on Twitter at Lucy James Games probably complaining about the Assassin's Creed cross saves.
Speaker 1: Kelly, how are you.
Speaker 4: I'm on Twitter at Inky jojico I, NKO, I d O j I KKL. If you've been listening to the podcast, you probably know how to develop by now. I you know, I talk about animal crossing mostly it's the safest It's the safest topic for me talk about on Twitter, So that's what I stick to. And you know, I most of my job is editing and planning and doing stuff, so always working, but not always publishing things. But I did review Call of Day. That final review is up now if you haven't read it. I'm really happy with my zombies analysis in particular, which I think that was the thing I was most like the biggest question mark for me, so I'm actually I can say like, I'm actually really proud of that one. It's very good, which is I don't often feel that way when I publish things, and I'm like, oh God, time to die. So yeah, feeling good.
Speaker 1: John Luke, how about you.
Speaker 3: I can find me at John Lake Sypeke and I am cutting the video review for Phil's review for Destiny to be on Light that should be already up by the time.
Speaker 1: This is up.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that was kind of it. Trying to try to keep it light this week week, not not trying to do too much if I can help it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Same, i'ven't done a whole lot this week. I've been just planning for things coming down the line, yea exactly. But before we end, I do want to give a shout out to Grand Ninja trainer Dan, who damned me on Twitter this morning because he said that I found the podcast early last month and I've been catching up and loving all the podcasts. I finished episode thirty nine earlier. The dude listened to almost forty episodes of this podcast in like a couple of weeks, So that's crazy A and B. Also, he probably won't get to this episode for quite a while, but when he does.
Speaker 4: A nice shoutout, in a nice shout.
Speaker 1: Out, but anyway, you can find me at Jacob Deck and with that we will see you next week.
Speaker 2: Happy Thanksgiving. For today nice, I'm British, still to return to