Speaker 1: The FBI in Peace and War. Another great story based on Frederick Lcollins copyrighted book The FBI in Peace and War drama Thrill's Action Tonight's Story The Smoke Ring.
Speaker 2: United States. James Office, Mis Davis speaking hello.
Speaker 1: I'd like to speak with mister Taylor. Please. This is Agent Stephens over at the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Speaker 3: Oh, Miss Stevens, just a minute, please, mister Taylor, Agent Stephens on the line.
Speaker 2: Can you talk with him? David work very will.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Mis Dan, Hello Steve?
Speaker 2: What can I do for you?
Speaker 1: Now? A thing for the moment? This calls on us.
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm listening.
Speaker 1: We just picked up a stolen car in Ohio. Bruce was being driven by a character we've been after named Miguel Trella. In the back of the car we found some four hundred unstamped boxes of cigars. The guide ah unstamped. I thought you are revenue boys might be interested. Mike is putting it mild blade. Okay, we're holding Trailia over here.
Speaker 2: Good, We'll be over in ten minutes.
Speaker 1: During the early part of this year, a ring dealing in tobacco was defrauding the government of a sum in taxes, which was subsequently determined to be over one million dollars. This was accomplished through deliberate failure of the manufacturer put revenue stamps on his cigar boxes while selling them to under the counter buyers. Our attention was brought to the evasion when a fugitive wanted by the Bureau was apprehended with a number of the unstamped boxes in his possession. The questioning of this man brought out an unexpected tangent development which plunged us directly into the case. Hello, Collas, this is me. I'm going from you nowhere. We go ahead, pick me up in the car right away.
Speaker 2: You and me are driving east. Anything wrong enough?
Speaker 1: The Fed's picked up Miguel with the car or the smokes. We're checking out of the area, setting up new outlets.
Speaker 2: Golis. Yeah there it is over there where store.
Speaker 1: Next to the corner, A perfector? Oh yeah, you're sure you won't come with me? Banny, No, wait in the car. Okay. If you think I can swing it alone, you.
Speaker 2: Can swing it.
Speaker 1: Just say what I told you. Okay, don't be too long. I want only say what I told you. The rest will be grady, Okay, Why can I help you? Maybe I'm looking for the propriet.
Speaker 2: Or that's me. Huh, mister Van you down, let's your service? Oh what they told me?
Speaker 1: A lady?
Speaker 2: I know you mean my mother. Everybody does as she's in the backup colic. Oh no, that's okay.
Speaker 1: I'll find thank you.
Speaker 4: And the same candy orders last time. That's right. No, I guess that's all this week, mister Wollen. Thanks a lot, goodbye.
Speaker 2: Afternoon, Good afternoon, sir.
Speaker 1: Your boy out front said you're the one who runs this place, Missus Hudell, Right, that's right. My name is Carlos, Missus Rudell Ramond Carlos, Huh, I couldn't help over here, and you place that order. I would like to talk to you about that.
Speaker 4: Well, if you're a salesman, I'm sorry. I do all my buying.
Speaker 1: Through mister Wollen, but I can give you a better deal, Missus your dad. I got your finest merchandise to offer for the cheapest price.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, mister Carlos.
Speaker 2: I'd like to help you.
Speaker 1: Out, but you couldn't do it for me. Huh, I'm sorry, not even for Benny Benny, not your boy. Missus Hudell, This Benny I means a lot older.
Speaker 4: I don't know any other Benny.
Speaker 1: That's so, that's so well. It has been a long time. You could have forgot, Benny said. If your memory was better, all I had to do was to remind you that this Benny you don't know is the same one you got hitched to back in Detroit October nineteen thirty four.
Speaker 2: Your memory any better now, Missus h then what do you want?
Speaker 1: Well, like I said, I got fine merchandise. I just want you to place your orders through me from now on instead of any comparitors.
Speaker 4: What kind of merchandise smokes smokes.
Speaker 2: Missus Udell, Cigars.
Speaker 1: Any kind you can name?
Speaker 4: Why come to me?
Speaker 1: I tell you, Missus Hudell, these are real fine smokes. Like I say, one thing only where somebody just forgot to put those revenue stamps on the box.
Speaker 4: Leave mister Carlos right now, because if you don't, I'm going to pick up this phone and call.
Speaker 1: The police, Missus Hudell, Benny said, there's something else I might have to remind you about. You and him are still married?
Speaker 4: Are you leaving around?
Speaker 1: Not only that you got a son, Benny's own boy. He even wears the same net after Himmy can't imagine how lonesome her father gets for his son, Missus Hudell, his own son that he hasn't seen the.
Speaker 2: Last eighteen years.
Speaker 1: What Benny said, if you turn this down, why he just naturally won a nice little reunion with Ben Julie, father and son after all this time. And you better put down that phone, Missus Judell. I don't think you'll be calling any police after all, do you. Memorandum from the United States Attorney to wall Field Offices, the FBI and Revenue of Europe beyond the leftout were understamped tobacco ship must being distributed in this country, reaching the rest of ring members the guest. New areas may be opened somewhere along the eastern seaboard. All agents are worn to be as especially alert.
Speaker 3: Good Night, Mama, you said the takeover, I'll said, Ben, since get these out of the way.
Speaker 2: You let me home on these boxes not for sale?
Speaker 4: No, well, it's just that they were taking up aisle space. I wanted them out of the way.
Speaker 2: That's all. Okay, they're out of the way. You will check the register yet.
Speaker 4: I will when you're gone. If let me.
Speaker 2: Look at you, yes, ma'am, wash behind my ears and everything.
Speaker 4: You look real nice.
Speaker 2: Ben new suits, Well, you said I could buy one.
Speaker 4: I don't mean that you never wear a new suit unless a girl's going.
Speaker 2: To see it. Okay, maybe one is uh mar.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when you check the register, if you should find a couple of ten spots missing, then you.
Speaker 4: Just got your pace Saturday.
Speaker 2: It was sure, but you know how it is. If a guy doesn't want to look small potatoes, yes, I know.
Speaker 4: And if he wants to hang around nightclubs on oh ma, then listen to me.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 4: I don't like to butt into your affairs, but show girls aren't for you, believed Tom.
Speaker 2: Let's not go over all that. I'm old enough.
Speaker 4: I know you are. I know that. But but you know so many girls in the neighborhood. Now do I object when you see them? That sweet Belding girl for instance.
Speaker 2: I'm going to relate my good night.
Speaker 4: I'm only telling you for your own good band.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, Ma, give a fellow kiss me now, don't you worry about me. This is one boy knows how to take care of himself. Then good night, mind, don't wait that for me.
Speaker 2: It's Okay, I cust.
Speaker 1: Got to hand it to you.
Speaker 2: Grace. You did a fine job with him.
Speaker 1: What the boy, Benny Jr.
Speaker 2: You did a fine job. Get out of this store.
Speaker 1: Oh now, Gracie, that's no way to talk.
Speaker 2: For all these years, I thought you'd be glad to see me get out.
Speaker 1: I mean it, then, okay, you mean it. I just came back to see how you were doing on our first delivery. Object to that, and maybe I object to custody. To what custody? Fod has got writsing visitation.
Speaker 4: Benny, you stay away from my son. You hear that you stay away?
Speaker 1: Or or what kill? Maybe kill me?
Speaker 4: Maybe you stay away, Benny, or maybe I will kill you? Maybe I will.
Speaker 1: Hello, this is Marvin Miller with another page from your American Heritage scrap book. The majestic Hudson River, which has cut such a wide path through American fact and fiction, was apparently first discovered by Giovanni da Verrazzano, a foreign teen navigator, on April seventeenth, fifteen twenty four, but the man for whom it was named, Henry Hudson, made the first conclusive exploration of the river during the months of September and October of sixteen nine, Henry Hudson, hoping to find a waterway through North America to the East Indies, sailed his ship the Half Moon up the Hudson as far as present day Troy, New York. In the sixteen twenties, Dutch patroons had established a permanent colony New Netherlands along the banks of the Hudson, and New Amsterdam was spreading out from the southern tip of Manhattan Island. It was in sixteen sixty four that an English invasion force entered the deep channeled mouth of the Hudson River and took over control of New Amsterdam from the Dutch. They renamed the city New York. Ships flying the Union Jack cruised the Hudson for more than a century, bringing furs and food supplies to cosmopolitan New York. Control of the Hudson became imperative during the Colonial Revolution for Independence. The British attacked and captured Fort Washington and Fort Lee late in seventeen seventy six, but their attempt to cut the jugular vane that united New England and the Middle Colonies was unsuccessful. Colonial independence one peace reigned again over the river. Henry Hudson, once described as the great River of the Mountains. Yes, running three one hundred and six miles from the summit of Mount Marcy and the Aniron Backs to the wide, spreading harbor of New York City, the Hudson River became the lfeline of a new nation just beginning to explore and develop its natural riches. Hello, look, Carlos, is me I just left the store. Any trouble talk.
Speaker 4: With no trouble. She's playing, Paul, don't worry?
Speaker 1: What about boy?
Speaker 2: Hey was all right? The dead image?
Speaker 4: Huh?
Speaker 1: Never minded dead image?
Speaker 2: Did you follow? I'm sure I followed him.
Speaker 1: He's having drinks at the bar of the fifteen club with Candy already burned. You said action, and that Candy is a fast worker and he orders meantime. Notice Carlos, same routine every week, keep the smokes coming, keep them going, that sort, and they're still getting the cigar distributed, Steve. As you can see from that report, the revenue agents found another retailer last week with an inventory of over one hundred buses without on his death. Uh huh, what about that safe recording you wanted me to hear, Bruce, it's the last talk we had with Miguel Trelia. I had an idea you'd be specially interested. Why especially well, Steve, You know that memo pad Trailia had on him at the time you boys picked him up. You remember the entries were mostly initials. Obviously a record of Trailia's.
Speaker 2: Deliveries and receipts.
Speaker 1: Sure I remember, and maybe you remember that the entry of showing so many boxes from b you was the most frequent. Uh huh, all right, So we tried an old stunt on failure. That's not I'll admit I borrowed from you, Steve. It worked in that army desertion case, so why not again? Why not? Anyway, we dug up all the names connected with Trailia's past record. One of them might have the initials b you, and one of them did. Yes, Benny you dead be you Benny you Dell. I said you'd be specially interested. I am, and on four separate counts, you mean he's the one behind all this.
Speaker 2: Just listen to the tape, Steve.
Speaker 1: While we were questioning Tralia, one of my men rushed in in stage whispered that Benny you Dell had just been picked up by the FBI and sang his head off.
Speaker 2: You listening and decide for yourself.
Speaker 1: Candy, Yeah, cause I just come from seeing Benny, and he says, give Gandy the green light on the boy, get the work out.
Speaker 3: Way, or two more of these cocktails please, and small doors for the lady.
Speaker 4: Sorry Kenny here saying no nothing. I'm just saying you better not come by for minnight at the club.
Speaker 3: Why I thought we had a day, good day, But I changed my mind.
Speaker 2: But why I thought you liked me? I more than like you. That's just did well?
Speaker 4: Then why don't you just let well enough alone?
Speaker 3: We met, we had fun together. It's better with put friends well, Candy, what's no matter?
Speaker 2: What have I done? Nothing? But you haven't done?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 2: Huh luck?
Speaker 4: Honey. You're a nice kid, but you're only a kid. You can't afford to keep taking me up? Sure I can I that easily hand out your mother gives you from the store. Oh, Ben, honey, I don't think you follow me. Oh sure you can take me up for a drink or maybe a meal. But it's just hello, ho, aren't you? How do you think this fury got on my shoulders? Grew there?
Speaker 2: Oh a girl gotta.
Speaker 4: Live honey, it's rent to pay and stockings to buy, and a bank broke to fell for any days.
Speaker 2: Sorry to throw the raw meat on the floor.
Speaker 3: Oh that's okay, it didn't.
Speaker 2: Course you didn't, but a girl has to.
Speaker 3: If you were on your own, and I might feel different on my own.
Speaker 4: Would you like to be ben make yourself a bank girl every week instead of pennies?
Speaker 2: Well, who wasn't.
Speaker 3: I've got friends, honey, They let you in on a good thing if I gave the word, yeah, But what could I do for them?
Speaker 2: You'd be surprised.
Speaker 4: You might do something for them right inside that store?
Speaker 3: You is?
Speaker 2: Huh honeys.
Speaker 4: I wasn't gonna mention this, but when I see the way your old lady's.
Speaker 2: Been holding out on you, what are you talking about?
Speaker 4: You didn't know she's been holding up. You didn't know what she's been doing to rake in extra cash?
Speaker 2: What cash, Kenny? What do you mean man's been holding off? I mean just what I say.
Speaker 4: You'd better drink your drink. Then I'm afraid you're in for an awful shock. Then, yes, you're right, you're all upset. Oh it's my fault for prying into your private life. Here take this money and go out and have a good time.
Speaker 2: I should I didn't want any money. Maybe you didn't understand me.
Speaker 4: Well, of course I understand you. You came across a few boxes that weren't sealed. All right, I'll call mister Walland and tell him.
Speaker 2: That's all you've got to say.
Speaker 4: What else should I say?
Speaker 3: I've already called mister Wallan. He told me you weren't buying cigars to him anymore.
Speaker 4: Please, then, what are you so worked up about?
Speaker 2: How about you? That's what about what you've been doing behind my back? About all those lies? You've been telling me? What you heard me? Nothing but lies?
Speaker 4: Please then tell me what you're trying to.
Speaker 3: Get at all right, all right, I'll tell you only when I'm through.
Speaker 2: You'd better be ready to start telling me.
Speaker 1: Hello.
Speaker 4: Oh yes, he is.
Speaker 1: Just a minute, I ask you, Benny, Candy, she's got.
Speaker 2: The kid with her.
Speaker 1: Once, then it's okay to bring him over.
Speaker 2: He let me speak to it. Candy? Is me what story? Oh he did he does?
Speaker 1: What do you know? A chip of the old black?
Speaker 2: What's it? Why?
Speaker 1: She'll bring him over his my own flesh and blood? Any you bring.
Speaker 2: Him right over?
Speaker 1: Hello, this is Marvin Miller with another page from Your American Heritage scrapbook. Theodore Roosevelt, rough rider, all around sportsman and President of the United States, waged a lifetime battle against complacency. He overcame a frail and asthmatic childhood by advocating the strenuous life. Courage, endurance, and stamina were component parts.
Speaker 2: Of his personal creed.
Speaker 1: It was in eighteen ninety eight that tr resigned as Secretary of the Navy to lead Colonel Leonard Woods rough Riders on the charge up San Juan Hill. Warborne popularity won him the governorship of New York in that same year and made him President McKinley's running mate in the election of nineteen hundred. A year later, McKinley was assassinated and Roosevelt became president. His motto for seven years was speak softly and carry a big stick. During his second term as Chief Executive, he launched construction of the Panama Canal, and he also became the first president to set foot on foreign soil. In nineteen ten, he became the first president to ride in an airplane, although by then he had been out of office for two years. Running for president on the Progressive Party ticket. In nineteen twelve, tr displayed his familiar campaign vigor at Milwaukee. A would be assassin's bullet failed to silence his big voice and heart. With a bullet lodged in his chest, he delivered his scheduled speech. Yes, Theodore Roosta believed in the strenuous life, in running the risk of wearing out.
Speaker 2: Rather than rusting out.
Speaker 1: This, he advocated for the individual, the community, and the nation.
Speaker 2: Go on, kid, keep talking. I'm loving every minute of it. Well that's about it what she gets telling me. I walked out and here I am.
Speaker 3: She was against the eye, but I told her she's not enough farm, and I was doing things in my own way.
Speaker 1: Now that Colors Candy boys got spunk Like his old man, I was right about him, was it?
Speaker 2: It looks like?
Speaker 1: But you won't be sorry, kid. You me gonna hit it off great now on wherever I go, you go with me. You'll see what living is really like. No more psalm singing from hearing.
Speaker 2: How's that done? Then?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: Candy?
Speaker 3: Just like his old man, I told you, Colins, Hollie, I'm afraid it won't work.
Speaker 1: Why not?
Speaker 2: Ma won't let me go with you? How's she going to stop you?
Speaker 1: I thought you said you were doing things You're on right now I am.
Speaker 2: So how's she going to stop you by going to the FBI? So what, that'd be a big help you. They've been trying to find me for months.
Speaker 3: If I followed me and Candy, she'd find where you were, then call the FBI following us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was the idea. The FBI is probably outside by now. That's why I can't.
Speaker 1: Go, Benny, I add up, colors hide, I got no enjoyment for around the bush.
Speaker 2: You could have started talking straight. Okay, here it is straight.
Speaker 3: Ma told me about you, all about you and why she kept it from me all those years. When she got through telling, I told her what I thought of him.
Speaker 2: How wonderful I thought she was, and how I was gonna see through it that I felt the scum like you don't have a bower again?
Speaker 1: Shut up?
Speaker 2: What else I said?
Speaker 3: I didn't know where you were, but I knew someone would lead me to you. I told her follow and then call the cops. She was against the idea, like I said, but I told her I was doing things my own way from now on. I walked out and here I Am, it's not straight enough for you.
Speaker 2: That's straight enough, Bennet, I said, shut up. We got out of time.
Speaker 1: Then he get out you candy closure. Yet I was wrong about you kid.
Speaker 2: For a while there. I thought I saw a lot of me and you.
Speaker 1: I was dead wronged.
Speaker 2: You haven't got nothing of me, nothing at all.
Speaker 1: Andy answering, Hello, listen carefully. This is a federal officer speaking. I'm directing every one in that room to surrender. Open the door and walk out with your hands up. You have exactly sixty seconds to come out. After that, we're coming in.
Speaker 3: Well, that was a cup and waiting outside the door for us.
Speaker 1: Okay, we fixed it. Fanny on, be a fool.
Speaker 4: What chance do we got the gun?
Speaker 2: They're outside the door, So we get out to the roof. They won't shoot at the kid, will he? Now wait a minute, come on, you one phony move. This guy's off right. You're back open the wind the kids.
Speaker 4: Not me. I'm staying here.
Speaker 1: I am not going with you.
Speaker 2: They won't shoot it.
Speaker 1: Not going with okay, okay, the kid and me will go without you.
Speaker 2: Come on, the lord, never mind, look like a take get out. They got a place around it. You want a chance up the escape door.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm down from there.
Speaker 1: You know I'm down the shoot okay, so let him shoot.
Speaker 2: You'll only hit the party. Why get up the stairs? Now go up? Get him corporates to go any takes?
Speaker 1: Did you asked for it?
Speaker 2: Get those lights off me, Get them off here.
Speaker 1: You get it too, very get him, You get it too. Get those lights off me. With the recovery of young Ben Udell from the gunshot wound inflicted by his father, the United States Attorney presented the whole story of tax evasion and coercion to a federal grand jury. Beny Udell, Ramon, Carlos, Miguel Tregian, the score of others were indicted on various counts, brought to trial, and convicted. Missus Udell, though guilty of concealing a crime, was given a suspended sentence in view of both the circumstances and her son's action in helping to dissolve the smoke ring. This is the United States Times Forces Radio and Television Service HMM of the stalling the s