Speaker 1: And here we go.
Speaker 2: Hi, how are you welcome to the Big Podcast. It is Friday, today is the third day of October. You're of our word twenty twenty five. My name is Tom Sullivan. And well we're just we're just getting word that apparently there is Hamas has responded to the plan to basically come to an agreement. Everybody in the Middle East, Israel, Egypt, you name it, the Arab country have all said yes to the agreement that was put together by President Trump sent over Benjamin Netta, who said, we agree to it. And so now we were just waiting for Hamas, and what we're learning is that Hamas has said that they have agreed to release all of the Israeli hostages held in Gaza, as well as the bodies of those who have died. They also said that they would release the hostages according to the exchange formula contained in President Trump's proposal, as long as the field conditions for the exchange are met. So you can see I'm reading from the agreement and you can see there's already some caveats that that they're putting in this, but it's it's movement in the right direction. Let me get some more of this, it says, in this context, the movement affirms its readiness to immediately enter into negotiations through the mediator to discuss these details. So they also said that they have agreed to hand over the administration of the Gaza strip to a Palestinian body of independent technocrats based on Palestinian national consensus and Arab and Islamic support. So again a few more caveats on in there, but still moving in the right direction. So it's not clear from the language if they've agreed to the stipulation in the proposal that called for the group to be barred from exercising political power in the Gaza in the future, or if it sees itself amosis as a member of this body of Palestinian technocrats. So the question is whether Hamas's response will satisfy not only President Trump but also Israel. They did not address key elements of the proposal of the twenty point plan that Trump had put together that called on the group to give up its arms, and they also did not address the offer of amnesty to its members who commit to coexistence. So all of this President came out about the same time. I'm not sure if it was in response to this or it just coincidental, but the President said all of this has to be agreed to. This agreement has to be made by six o'clock six pm Eastern time on Sunday. So we now have from the time we're recording this basically two days forty eight hours for them to come to an agreement. He says, we're all hell will break loose. Oh, they made some movement. This is the biggest movement that I think I've seen in all of this earlier today, this is before this agreement from Hamas General Keane was asked about all of this.
Speaker 1: Let's get his take of all.
Speaker 3: They didn't reject it out out of hand. Ye immediately. They may be. The likely thing is they're going to counter with something that they want to negotiate over and remove.
Speaker 1: That would be a good one.
Speaker 3: Listen, if they're going to fold their hands here and continue to fight, Netaw is very clear and he's got the President's support for it. He's going to go in there and finish it. And they've got them completely surrounded. They moved close to a million people out of Gaza City and it's really quite remarkable. So what is going to be left is largely Hamas and those that are supporting Hamas, and they will go in there and systematically deal with them. Now, it will take time. This isn't going to end in just a couple of weeks. It'll take some months. I'll take some patience, that is the objective. But now I support them completely on this. He's clear eyed. He's got to finish these guys once and for all. This it's fiction. When people say, well, this is an ideology and you can't defeat it, that's nonsense. We defeated the al Qaeda summarily in Iraq. These are guys with guns, and if you want to defeat them, you do what and you take their guns away and you kill them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So that was before this announcement. But Hamas obviously again the deadline is six pm Eastern Time on Sunday. And again this is the early reports that are coming in. But the President has again issued a Sunday evening deadline for Hamas to agree to his peace plan. And they did not have an immediate comment to the statement released by the Palestinian Group Byjmas. So there it looks like the White House is reviewing it, but there's still a lot of copy and a lot of we need to negotiate and going on.
Speaker 1: So we'll see.
Speaker 2: It's awfully hard to do breaking news with a podcast, but I thought it was pretty important of what has happened here on this Friday. Meantime, speaking a general team, there's other things that he talked about as well. One of them was the fact that we are now militarily going around and attacking drug boats that are coming from Latin America. And he was asked about the idea of us basically using kinetic force of our military regarding the drug lords.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, it's obvious to cartel's weaponizing drugs for their own Profitearian for sure, it's onder mining American society. The health and welfare of our society has been seriously penetrated. Hundreds of thousands of people have been killed by friends and alan. The approach we've been taken, not we're working. So this is an approach. It's different to be sure, we've stopped these boats in the past, but they keep coming. Now we're shooting the boats and it's likely they're going to stop coming. The President, i think, is notifying Congress that he defines this as armed conflict, which legally then gives him the authority to treat it not just as a law enforcement and aggressive policing where there's no threat to the police. Here, even though there's no threat to an armed military force, they can use that lethal force against them, even though there's no direct threat to them, because why it's an armed conflict. Distinction is important. I think this will get discussed among the lawyers. Are something going to get discussed among the Congress in terms of the legalities here. I'm not an expert on the legalities, but I do know what right looks like, and doing this makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: All right, So General Kean, I mean, he was very clear he thinks this makes sense that they are an enemy and that they're killing Americans with their drugs. And I know there's another whole discussion about the fact that the demand by Americans for drugs versus the supply by the cartel, But at this point General Keen is throwing his hat in the ring and saying I support it. We'll let the lawyers fight out whatever. It's going to go to the courts, obviously. And then the third topic that General Keen talked about today is asked about Ukraine and what are we going to do about Ukraine.
Speaker 1: Here's the general and listen.
Speaker 3: Ukraine has been doing great work with the system in the United States back in April. They've been on to systematically hit oil capabilities inside of Russia and now there's distribution problems and gas lines that we're seeing in some of the major cities in Russia. As a result of that, the President has opened the aperture than wider to use all of our long range offensive systems and is more coming and the United States Targeting Cell will assist the Ukrainians in reaching that. Russia and what's inside of Russia should not be a sanctuary, so where they can sustain, No sanctuary should exist in Russia. And what they have done as a result that the fact think about they don't have to defend anything in Russia, military logistics, infrastructure, they're oil capability, which sustains an army on the field, not just a population inside of Russia. And yes, the entire energy infrastructure, the industrial base should all be targets. I mean, we want to after Germany's industrial based, Japan's industrial base while we are also fighting frontline troops. This has been denied Ukraine to do it comprehensively. The administration is taking off all the restriction and letting them go forward, and our targeting cell provides them exquisite intelligence. So our audience understands this isn't something new. We've been providing intelligence to the Ukrainians from the outset and it's very, very good.
Speaker 2: We'll talking about a big change from the President. He sounded like he wasn't all that thrilled to support Zelensky and Ukraine, and now they're talking about long range missiles which will really change the balance of that war tremendously. Another breaking news item as we're recording the podcast on this Friday, is Sean ditty Combs at the Federal or at the New York Courthouse in Lower Manhattan, and they've been having a sentencing hearing all day and just moments ago. Well, the prosecutor wanted eleven years sentence for Shawn ditty Combs. His defense lawyers wanted fourteen months. He's been in jail for thirteen so basically it would be just about time served. Well, the judge just handed it down and said four years and two months is what the sentence is. Months he's served thirteen of those, so about a little more than three years more for Sean Diddy Combs to hang out in jail. So that is the sentence on him. Remember, he was acquitted of all the major charges against him, the Rico charges and all that, so the judge sentenced him solely on the two counts that he was found guilty of transportation for prostitution, two counts on that, so that he gets four years two months minus thirteen that he's already served. So that's for Sean Diddy Puff Daddy Combs out of the courthouse today in Lower New York. I do need to get to the government shutdown because there are some things going on behind the scenes. First of all, if you listen to conservative media, you will find that the Republicans have open and shutcase. They offered a just kick the can down the road until the third week of November. That's the clean continuing resolution. No big deal, why don't you sign this thing? And if you and and and it's and then and then the conservative media will will point out that this is all about Chuck Schumer, and Schumer is afraid because the Democrats were so mad at him for doing a what was it a spending bill or something like that. That needed to be done. The fact that he cooperated with with Donald Trump is a mortal sin in the in the eyes of a lot of Democrats. So Schumer knows that, and he doesn't want to look like he's cooperating in any way, shape or form. However, on the other side, so the Democrats are looking at and going, this is all about healthcare, and healthcare for whether it has illegals or not illegals. It's about Medicaid. It's the cuts that the government passed on the big beautiful bill that they were going to be reforming Medicaid to the point where it's like their reformed welfare back in the Clinton administration. They said, look at you are still on medicaid if you are disabled, elderly, a poverty line, all that except for if you are an able bodied mail with no dependents. You got to go get a job. You can't just keep collecting free medical. And if you're here illegally, you can't collect free medical. So that's what they said, We're not going to allow that after December thirty first of this year. The Democrats are using this as their last lever to try to get that back in. It's a one and a half trillion dollar cost. And yet here's the problem with it. I at this and say this is fiscally makes all the sense in the world to cut off people who are able bodied, young men who are just being lazy, Go get a job, or we're not going to keep giving you free medical. And I don't want to give free medical to the immigrants. I could play a clip for you. I saw it the other day of Hillary Clinton, I don't know twenty years ago, was railing about no free medical for people that come into our country illegally. So it's all about politics. But at this point, here's the problem. I've talked about this before. Whenever there's a poll about you want to tax the rich, it always is sixty some percent of the population says yes. It's very popular. People like to tax the rich because they don't think it's them. It's the same with this. People have a soft spot for fellow citizens and even for illegals, believe it or not, and they don't want to take medical insurance away from these people. Why that's just mean. And so front page of the Wall Street Journal today, white House senses political risk on healthcare despite shut down Bravado. So, according to the Wall Street Journal, Trump aids are discussing proposals to extend those Obamacare subsidies on which millions of Americans rely. It's about two million people. And so you go out and you survey this, and you find out that people are going you know, I know, I know about the illeg That doesn't make sense to me, But I don't want to take healthcare away from anybody. Fact Harry Enton over at Seas and the Statistician, his latest polls may surprise you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think there are a lot of Republicans out there right now strutting around thinking.
Speaker 1: That they're cock of the walk. But here's the thing to keep in mind.
Speaker 4: Blame more for the twenty twenty five shutdown, hohod, Americans blame more. They blame Republicans The New York Times by seven points. They blame Republicans in Congress and Donald Trump. Maris look at that, blame Trump and Republicans by twelve points. How about Washington Post by a seventeen point margin. When you look at the data, what you're actually seeing is that more Americans are blaming Republicans than Democrats, which I think really goes against the conventional wisdom because a lot of folks are saying, hey, Democrats are so divided, but at this particular point, Americans are placing the blame on the Republicans shoulders, at least the plurality of them are.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: This is what I think is so notable here is we can go back over time and this is actually a pretty familiar story.
Speaker 1: What are we talking about here? Blame more.
Speaker 4: At the start of shutdowns ninety five, ninety six, they blame the Republicans more by sixteen points. Twenty thirteen, blame the Republicans more by ten points, twenty eighteen, twenty now nineteen blame the Republicans more by fourteen points. And right now, on the average poll you see that the American public are blaming Republicans more by twelve points than Democrats. So this actually lines up with what we see in historically when the government goes in the shutdown, at least in prior occasions. On in this one, what we see is that more Americans are likely to blame Republicans than Democrats, which again is why the polling right now doesn't exactly strike me as surprising. Despite the fact that Democrats might be messy, Republicans are the ones who are getting more blamed, because that is what has happened, at least historically speaking, the Republicans are the ones who have the House, the Senate, and of course the presidents say, yeah, I think this is notable, right, I think there might be a lot of Republicans who would say, Okay, these are early days yet, right, this is early days yet. But what happens at the end of the shutdown, does in fact the blame change. Well, historically speaking, no, who gets the blame at the start of the shutdown has ended up being the ones who get the blame at the end of the shutdown ninety five, ninety six GOPGP, twenty thirteen GOPGP, twenty eighteen GOPGP.
Speaker 1: Look at early days yet, maybe a history will be bucked in this particular situation.
Speaker 4: But historically speaking, if you're being blamed at the start of a shutdown, you're getting blamed at the end of it. And right now it's Republicans who are being blamed at the start of this one. History ain't exactly too kind to those who are blamed at the start of shutdown.
Speaker 2: So the reality is is that historically people always blame the Republicans. It doesn't matter what the facts are, and so in this particular case, and then you throw in the Wall Street Journal talking about the fact that there are a number of people in the White House who are discussing proposals to try to figure out how to extend taxpayer subsidies for Obamacare insurance premiums. And that is something that somebody's got to give. And Wall Street Journal says that least the people in the White House are talking about, how can we do that without making our base mad at us? Well, it's the same with the Democrats. How can they do any business with Donald Trump unless they get their desire to keep doing the healthcare subsidies. And this is something that Democrats have had that desire for a very long period of time. They have wanted to have single payer, government only health insurance. And a lot of people in this country, including me, squawked about that. It's been tried in Canada, it's been tried in the UK, It's been tried in a lot of other countries. And wherever it's tried, the system goes is financially on the skids. They don't provide a lot of treatment for lots of the expensive illnesses, No they'll take care of you got a broken leg, fine, but if you've got some major disease that's going to take a lot of medical care and a lot of medicine. Uh, they just say, sorry, it doesn't work. So it's a terrible system. Is a socialist system, but that's what the Democrats have always wanted. Most people at the same time don't support the Democrats politically, but on this issue they are doing that soft hearted stuff I've seen over and over and over again, is they don't want to take away the health insurance premium for some dude that's sitting on his behind playing video games or whatever he's doing and not going to work. We give him free medical care, but they don't think of it that way. We'll see what happens from here, but stand by, because there's going to have to be somebody is going to have to blink. Kate Bedenfield is a Democrat spokeswoman. She's very good at spending things for the left. This is her take.
Speaker 5: On it, So I would say that, Look, it's no secret there is frustration among the Democratics with leadership of the Democratic Party. Some of that is just a function of the fact that Democrats don't control any of the levers of power right now in Washington, and that's incredibly frustrating for the base who is watching as Trump is doing things that they find abhorrent. So there is certainly some frustration. I will say though, that on this question of healthcare, and Pete was saying, this is the Democrats trying to drag the Republicans into their mess on healthcare. There is no stronger argument. There is no more popular argument that Democrats can make to the country than the one that they make about how they have made healthcare more affordable through Obamacare and beyond. It continues to be It was an issue that drove the twenty twenty race. It didn't have as much impact in the twenty twenty four race and the other things were going on, but this continues to be an issue where when Democrats can be talking about healthcare, they're in a strong they have the upper hand, they're in a strong position. So to see Senator Sanders congress on Nicasio Cortes doing a video like that that clarifies the issues so concisely for voters and reaches an audience of people who may not be paying attention to the back and forth everything that's going on in Washington is hugely valuable, and it's all part of a bigger, broader democratic effort. And you know, I would, really, I would counsel the Democrats to keep this fight focused on healthcare because it is a winner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she says that's the winner. Keep beating the drum about healthcare and she thinks that they will win. She was talking about AOC and Bernie. They put out a video that's been seeing millions of times, and she thought that that was also very helpful.
Speaker 1: Here it is, well, there's nothing clean about it.
Speaker 5: This is one of the dirtiest tricks that has been pulled on the American people.
Speaker 6: Right now.
Speaker 5: Your monthly insurance premiums are going to double if.
Speaker 1: You don't have the money to go to Ada and you're sick your diet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So if you're a young, able body person who's been ripping off the system by getting free medical, you're going to have to pay a lot more than if you paid anything in the past. Pete set who is a spokesman for Republicans at this response.
Speaker 7: Well, Kate Kate was spot on. Republicans are speaking to their base, Democrats are speaking to their base. The Republican base wants to see them fight Democrats and stand firm, and the Democrat base wants to see them fight Donald Trump. And Republicans, well, there's a time and a place to debate and discuss healthcare, just like there's a time and a place to discuss immigration, or energy policy or education. But not when it comes to funding of the government and all the lives that are impacted by it. And those aren't my words, those are the words of Senator Chris Murphy from twenty thirteen. Democrats have always said that a clean cr should be passed and we shouldn't try Republicans shouldn't try to extract certain policy concessions during these debates, and yet that's exactly what Democrats are doing.
Speaker 6: We shouldn't even be having this conversation. A clean cr should have been passed. The Republican majority in the House of Representatives passed one. It's now in the Senate's court, and it likely will fail yet again later today because of Democrats and Transigents, because they want to drag Republicans into their healthcare mess. This is only happening because Democrats. Not a single Republican voted for Obamacare. The Affordable Care Act, which has never been affordable. We're still waiting fifteen years later for the affordability part of that and the subsidies that are being discussed. Again, not a single Republican has voted for those in the American Rescue Plan Act or the Inflation Reduction Act, So they're trying to drag Republicans into a mess that they themselves created.
Speaker 2: Well, he is right. This all stems on Obamacare, which was through some parliamentary tricks, was passed by Congress during the Obama administration. But it's never been popular. It's never been any sort of support from from the Republican side of the aisle. And so they really if I don't see the path for this. But what they really need to do is sit down and figure out healthcare in America because the Democrats want to pay for They wanted a one part of a one payer system, government only insurance that they will get rid of insurance health insurance companies and you have to deal with the government. I mean, it's the classic is how's that work for you at DMV. I mean, it's a disaster in countries where they have that. So that's where it stands at this late gent of that your eye, I don't see the solution. But my eyes did perk up when I saw the Wall Street Journal saying, yeah, their work on maybe some sort of way to have some sort of health insurance subsidies from the Republicans. And I don't like it. I don't like it at all. But somebody's going to blink. And at this point Wall Street Journal says, the Republicans are kind of working on that. Timberly Strassel, she writes an op ed column for the Wall Street Journal, and well, this is what she had to say.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So this is the thing that I think is the most interesting dynamic because if you look in beginning, all the pressure was on Chuck Schumer, right, this was a test of whether or not he had backbone.
Speaker 10: And the way I.
Speaker 9: Would have thought that this might have ended is that as you had more votes progressively, more Democrats, especially moderates, would join along sort of take the heat off of Chuck Schumer. They'd take it instead until you got to that magic number and it opened again. But with these activist groups now making this a litmus test for all the members, it's going to be much tougher for them to jump across the Aisle. I would look maybe for a Jean Shaheen or a Gary Peters because they're retiring. But if you're a member who wants to run for reelection, the message is being sent if you vote with Republicans, you will get a primary.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the threat is on Democrats better not do anything to help the Republicans and don't do any business with Donald Trump. So they're threatening their own people. One other item that's unrelated coming out of the White House today is well, it'll actually be on Tuesday. We're finding out is the Chinese talking about trade. The Chinese have cut off purchasing soybeans from American farmers, and they've always bought a ton of soybeans from US farmers. So because China has cut off US farmers, apparently, according again this is Wall Street Journal again that they've got a lot of their reporting, the President's considering providing ten billion dollars in aid to US farmers because of the economic fallout from the tariffs that are blocking China from buying any of the of the soybeans. So senior Administration official that the discussions have centered on ten to fourteen billion in aid. It would likely go toward helping soybean producers as well as other parts of the farm economy. Scott Besant, the Treasurer Secretary, was talking about the fact that we should hear some news on this on Tuesday.
Speaker 8: There's plenty the president can do, and it's unfortunate the Chinese leadership has decided to use the American farmers, soybean farmers in particular, as a hostage or pawn in the trade negotiations. And American farmers over willingly voted for President Trump more than ninety percent.
Speaker 1: He loves the farmers. He loves them.
Speaker 8: We have great Secretary of Agriculture, Brooke Rawins. Three of us were in the Oval yesterday and you should expect some news on Tuesday on substantial report or substantial support for our farmers, especially the soybean farmers. They've had President Trump's back and we've got their back.
Speaker 2: There's some of the damage that's been done so far. From January through August of this year, our soybean exports to China totaled just over two hundred million bushels. That's down one billion bushels from the same time last year. According to the American Farm Bureau Federation. Meantime, the Chinese are doing business with Brazil. Brazil has shipped more than two billion bushels of soybeans to China during this exact time. So China obviously sticks to the US farmer for very strategic reasons, and President Trump says I will write checks to the farmers to keep them going. Meantime, the President, President She and President Trump will be meeting at a conference in South Korea in about four weeks. President Trump said that's obviously going to be one of the topics that he is bringing up. So since it's Friday, let's do a little financial Friday talk here. I've been very bullish on AI. I just think it is the future and it's just going to be bigger as we go along. But there's people also going, oh my, it has really become a lot of the darling. A lot of billions of dollars are being thrown at it, and companies are spending a lot of time trying to build as many data centers as they can because they need lots of energy in order to fund to supply to those data centers, so they work. So Austin Gouldsby, who is now one of the FED members was asked about AI and his view as a member of the Federal Reserve Board what his thoughts are, and you can tell from his comments that he thinks it just maybe be in a bubble.
Speaker 11: If you look at data centers, they're booming. We should think about what happens if the growth rate of AI is not as large as the as its biggest proponents think. Might we get over our skis a bit with over investment and have to clean up if there were a bubble.
Speaker 1: I think we do want to think about that topic. I like Austin.
Speaker 2: I think he's a smart guy, but that is he was an economic professor before he went on to the Federal Reserve Board, and the Federal Reserve Board, as we all know, is very cautious. They got yellow lights flashing on everything. They're afraid of their own shadow. So he's not a tech executive, not in the slightest and the tech executives are much more prone to take risks. They were talking about it this morning with Jim Kramer on CNBC and Kramer, well, I'll let him speak for himself.
Speaker 10: I think a lot it is.
Speaker 12: I think that, by the way, there's big competitionally you didn't talk about China.
Speaker 10: China is one from one with us so far, so people say they'rehead of us.
Speaker 12: Look, I think it's firm buying because if it's a fourth Industrial Revolution, then you need all the power you can get unless you have quantum. I was grew article in the Harvard Crimson Ball places saying that quantum is beginning to work longer. They've done a lot of work on it. All the quantum stocks are trading up. I come back and say, I'm not worried about a glide. I'm worried about being behind the ruck, being behind the Chinese. I don't want to fall.
Speaker 10: Behind the Chinese.
Speaker 12: And I think said, the only way we can do it is it's not there's no Manhattan Project in the country.
Speaker 10: The project is uh is met Uh.
Speaker 12: The project is by the way, I would say, the number one person right now, we don't talk about it.
Speaker 10: I'm nothing is certainly in the news.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 10: This is Elon.
Speaker 12: I mean when you speak to Jensen, he talks about Elon, He talks about Mark Well first, Nate, he calls him Zuck. Elon, Zukh and Sacha are the three that feel it's the most important to build out I've only met.
Speaker 10: I met Sacha, I've met Mark.
Speaker 12: To think that they could be wrong requires a big leap of faith because they've been other than Jensen Preps, the smartest people during the whole era. So I'm not buying it.
Speaker 6: So you think the radar of management and aggregate this time is better than what we had in the in the dot com era.
Speaker 12: Look, I mean the dot com I mean someone was mentioning that the other day, Well it was it was the Nortel deal. Well, no, I mean those companies, the companies that were buying, uh, all the internet equipment we're all doing. There are a lot more doing vendor finances. This That's why I was worried by the way about the Lands deal, because that smelled of vendor financing. But I know that the demand, as we've been seeing from Opening Eye is incredible. They're beginning to roll out real connors and the products are so in need, and they're doing a video product and everyone's so buzzing about their video products.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm not always in a good way.
Speaker 12: No, not always in a good way. But I'm not worried about a glut. I am worried that we don't have enough power to be able to build everything we'd like to the g IP deal today Blackrock the Lady shows that there are people again Larry Thing, that are saying we need more power.
Speaker 10: Look, maybe the economists.
Speaker 12: Are wrong, and the people who are are maybe they're right, and the people who are using in our room. But you know, Coral, I've studied these guys now wait a Sunday, and they all have incredible demand, and so they have to meet the demand.
Speaker 10: I just I just can't better get. I can't better get. I mean time I've ever tried to call these guys wall I had.
Speaker 2: Looked so dopey. Yeah, I'm not going there. Yeah, the Cramer laid it out pretty clearly. Who do you think is right? Who do you think is wrong? The economists or the people that are running some of the major technology firms in the world, And they have been so right for so long, and they're extremely smart people versus university economists or economists sitting on the Federal Reserve Board. And I'm with Kramer. I'll go with I'll go with the people that are running the tech sector speaking. But back to Austin, he is an economist and he's on the Federal Reserve, and today, first Friday of the month, no jobs report came out, and so the big question for Austin Gouldsby was what are you going to do? What are you gonna do without a jobs report.
Speaker 11: Here's what he said, Chicago FED not because we knew there was going to be a government shutdown, we didn't, but because we've been trying to get better real time measures of what's happening in the job market. We've recently rolled out the Chicago FED Labor Market Indicators, and one of those indicators and we turn to eleven different data sources.
Speaker 1: We take the.
Speaker 11: Official data plus high quality private sector sources, and one of the numbers that we keep is a real time estimate of what will be the unemployment rate. So, barring getting an actual unemployment rate, we released yesterday that the unemployment rate would have been announced to be four point three percent, that is unchanged. There's no question the best jobs data in the world come from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. We need that data. We want that data. We can use what we have, which are private sector sources. We can look at the state unemployment claims and plug those into the formula. Over time exactly as you say, Steve, it's going to get farther and farther from the truth. Even the private sector sources rely on the BLS data to kind of normalize and make their samples representative. But we fight with the army we have, and at moments like this where it's critically important that we're figuring out whether the economy is in a moment of transition, this is what we have and thus far it still continues to point to a pretty stable labor.
Speaker 1: Market in my view.
Speaker 11: You know that Paul Volger used to tell me our job that the FED is to act and the market's job is to react.
Speaker 1: And let's not get the order mixed up.
Speaker 11: So what the market expects is not in the fed's mandate.
Speaker 1: What should be.
Speaker 11: In the decision of the FED are the economic conditions on employment and inflation. That raises the degree of difficulty when we cover up one of the eyes or put a screen where you can't see the data. I think everyone on the FOMC has to come to their own determination of what does it mean for the trajectory. As you know, before we got into some of the dust in the air, I believe that the underlying economy can afford rates can afford to come down over time in a gradual basis a fair amount from where they are now. But this uptick of inflation that we've been seeing, coupled with the jobs payroll jobs numbers deteriorating, have put the Central Bank in a bit of a sticky spot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so they don't know what to do raise race, lower rates. Austin basically said he thinks race should go lower over time. So that's good. But they're very, very very cautious, and they do. They're in a pickle, There's no question about it. So let's get some emails in before we get too far on this podcast. Today I got Brian Demattio sends me an email, says about Kamala Harris. He says, please don't encourage her in her fake success. She campaigned at abortion clinics in Michigan, for instance, as a solution to our country's issues. There is still nothing of substance underneath the hat, even if she surpasses Elon in total wealth. Brian in Northern Michigan, listen, I got to say this again. I was going on about how her book sales are to the moon. She's selling books like crazy and people are buying the tickets to her book tour, so she's going to make a lot of money. And I'm looking at it and going, I'm thinking that this might be the kind of message that she thinks people love her. And I'm going she has failed miserably as a candidate now a couple different times. And so I hear you, Brian. I'm not a supporter of Kamala Harris in any way, shape or form, but you know what, I hope she runs. I hope she's the Democrat nominee. I mean, seriously, if Republicans should be cheering her on because I don't know who the Republican nominee is going to be, but whoever, they should be able to run circles around Kamala Harris in twenty twenty eight if she decides to run. He also sent me a note about Barry Weiss has been named the editor in chief of CBS News and Barry Weiss was with the New York Times and she got into a fractue with them about their reporting that was one sided. So she started the Free Press. He's very free press, very independent woman who is excellent, so good for her. Penny has a whole bunch of different thoughts on things. She said, question of the day, when the State of California shuts down, the electronic pay transfer for state workers are all paid through a local credit union, so there is no loss of pay due to the State of California workers when the state shuts down. Does this apply to federal workers? No, No, they don't. They don't have anything like that. And she said that editorial comment no work, no pay, that phrase should include workers too. Where where do these quacks and criminals and non competent politicians come from? Do any of them ever really graduate high school? Or are they primarily a bunch of participation folks who qulinn't test out, have never grown up or assumed any real responsibility. So it's oh. And then finally, Wayne In always was against any form of federal healthcare, even in the beginning with Medicare. The biggest file that we have in our tax collection each year is our medical file. Yeah, I'm, i'm what happened to the day's medical care has become more expensive and more complicated because of the government's involvement. There's no question about it. And Eaglestorm sends me an email about California has passed a bill to censor and outlaw wrong think on social media. Well that's I'm sorry, that violates the First Amendment. So apparently the legislature in California passed this bill of enacting hate speech code to well what does it say if signed? Governor hasn't signed. Prosecutors would be empowered to hit Facebook, Instagram, TikTok x and the like with million dollar fines whenever they permit a user to mock someone's race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, immigration status, or other protected characteristics. They're doing that in England. They're arresting people in England. They don't have a First Amendment in England. So California is following basically up on what the British have been doing. Meantime, all of this boils down to the market today, and with all the troubles with the government and the fact that they're shut down and the fact that we've got all kinds of problems with the Middle East, Wall Street still keeps going and they went higher in a big way today, all kinds of big new records of Wall Street. The Dow up today two hundred and thirty eight points to a new record forty six thousand and seven fifty eight the s and P first time it's been above sixty seven hundred sixty seven fifteen. That's the only a one point gain. Then the Nasdak actually was higher, but it fell back sixty three points, so not much of a change there. Gold up forty four dollars above thirty nine hundred it's a three thoy nine hundred and twelve for one ounce of gold. And oil mostly bouncing around the same neighborhood up twenty some cents today, just about sixty one dollars for a barrel of oil. That is it for us today. Had yourself a wonderful weekend. We will be back on Monday and hope to see you then