Speaker 1: Welcome to the Parenting Roundabout podcast. I'm Terry Morrow and I'm Catherine Jileco. As parents and parenting writers, we can't help but see everything through a parenting lens. But as our kids have become adults, we find ourselves more interested in getting caught up on movies and streaming than I'm going over the same parenting topics over and over.
Speaker 2: So since we're pretty sure we can find parenting wisdom anywhere, we're going to talk about what we're watching, what we thought about it, and maybe what we can learn from it, if only what not to do. Watch and listen along, and let's all make like we're doing something important for our families. Each Wednesday we bring you our thoughts on a newer entertainment property, and for this week of October twenty first, we're discussing season four, episode nine of Only Murders in the Building. It was called Escape from Planet Clongo, and.
Speaker 1: Right there you know that they're pushing it that this is going to be an unpromising episode. Really really, that's the title, and I don't IMDb does not show a movie by that.
Speaker 2: Title, So yeah, well that was the title of the movie in the movie.
Speaker 1: That they were in.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, good guys. We did get to see some guests, says Attack we did.
Speaker 1: Nice to see it. Jane Lynch, glad you got another paycheck. And Paul Rudd m hm, golly, finally a celebrity on this show. Ron Howard, Ron Howard, really, buddy, Okay, we've seen so few celebrities this season.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think if I diagnose this season with anything, it's yes, it is possible to have too many celebrities. Just because your friends all want to be on the show doesn't mean you have to let them in. Yeah, It's just at some point it just gets ridiculous and it's like, are we making up plot points so that we can get something? I don't know. Good for them, Good for Ron Howard, Nice to see you, man. I was wondering the whole episode. Are they really bringing him in? Are they just going to make jokes about him?
Speaker 2: But there he was?
Speaker 1: There, he was Ron, Ron.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Okay, so we, I guess finally have a have a murderer in the building.
Speaker 2: They have shown us that this person as at least killed Glenn Stubbins. Yes, so we're meant to believe that that that will implicate this person for everything else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, though of course who knows? But yeah, I okay, they they put everybody's name in on a slip of paper, shook up a box, somebody pulled him out. Yep, could have been anybody, right, I was really liking your idea that it was going to be Howard because that could have been him under that suit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that ski mask.
Speaker 3: But no, I wouldn't say that was necessarily an idea. It was just like what else can what else can we throw at this?
Speaker 1: Basically, I guess, I guess, don't disown it.
Speaker 2: It was good.
Speaker 1: I liked it. I ran with it. He's got his name in the opening credits. That must mean something.
Speaker 2: So even though we haven't seen him for a couple of episodes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. Nor have we seen this guy for a couple of episodes, And all right, fun.
Speaker 2: This guy who might might gal I don't know, Oh it might be.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 2: I feel like that might be something that they were setting up.
Speaker 1: But alrighty okay, yes, line whatever, you just go, you go show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean this The way that they you know, built up to this was very just you know, I mean, they kept they were showing, they were saying Okay, they've narrowed it down to this stunt person who worked on this movie with Sas and they have you know, they showed them from the back. They showed them with this hood over their head because they're doing a scene. And they got Glenn stubbn's friend, you know, identifying who the director was on the movie, but not who this stunt person was. Yeah, they were like, oh, we figured like, you don't know this person's name.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, alrighty, yeah, I will say that the FuG Girls.
Speaker 2: Have been on this this suspect for a couple of days, now, okay.
Speaker 1: All right, Yeah, if if this suspect does turn out to be female, that would explain why Saz was so eager to protege. All right, I suppose I just thought he had dumb surfer hair at some point. Yeah, but yes, it could be. I don't clear. I don't honestly care. One more episode, right, One more episode? Yep, one more, one more, and then we will be free of this season and shake the dust from our shoes. Yes, now, it's fine, I'm fine, everything's fine.
Speaker 2: Well, do you want to hear the FuG girls other theory?
Speaker 1: Yes? I do very much.
Speaker 2: That So next week, it's going to be the wedding of Oliver and Loretta at the.
Speaker 1: Arconia, and there is what could possibly go wrong?
Speaker 2: Right. Their concern is that Loretta is going to be next.
Speaker 1: I share that concern, and I've seen that concern in other places. But you know, Loretta, may I suggest a bulletproof vest under the wedding dress and keep your head down. Bit or maybe she's the killer and she'll kill them all and the series will be over.
Speaker 2: Yes, red wedding.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but having the wedding in the Arconia and the fact that the show always cliffhangers the next mystery at the end of the season makes it seem very likely that that be the case. But man, don't kill all your famous guest stars. Come on.
Speaker 2: Well, and as we talked about last week, Paul Rudd did manage to keep coming back, even though it seems.
Speaker 1: To be Bob now though it's not impossibly he has a twin brother.
Speaker 2: Yes, it comes along for the funeral. Definitely could happen, although he already had no No, that was yeah. I was gonna say he already had a funeral, but that was Paul Rudd actual, yes, yes, Ben Glenn Roy not Ben, Yes, not Glenn's not Stubbins Stubens.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he found a way to hang around for another season. He could find a way to hang around for another one. Yeah, it's all sorts of disguises. Oh, I don't know what I want to say about this thing specifically, other than it was just.
Speaker 2: It just annoyed you quite a lot.
Speaker 1: On the topic of parenting, speaking of things that are pushed further than they should go and that really have no relevance to anything. Let's see. Uh, here's a parenting tip. If you're gonna set somebody on fire, make sure that they really really know not to move too soon afterwards. You told them once, right, Zaz told him don't move because you'll spark again. But do kids listen? They don't listen. You gotta tell him a bunch of times. You gotta maybe not hire them in the first place.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: Maybe there could be Could there be a safer stunt to start with?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Was this This individual knows how to be hit by a car? Maybe fire is kind of a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Saz was very confident in her in her mentorship abilities.
Speaker 1: Aren't we all? Haven't we all had that time when we were very confident in our mentorship abilities as and is like, oh so they weren't really ready for.
Speaker 2: Them, Okay, got it. Luckily none of our kids were ever set on fire.
Speaker 1: But no, nor did they come back and kill us. But still, well, you know, we're still on the clock for that, I guess, but not yet.
Speaker 2: We got some years to go for that one.
Speaker 1: And we we sort of have the continuation of if this were a family, Mabel would be the mom. H with the nurse describing them as two old married men and their caretaker.
Speaker 2: Right, and the way that they Charles and Oliver throughout just acted like squabbling siblings while they really tried to rise above it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I really, but you know, then they went off on their own. I really wanted her to be there to like put them in time out at something right, just you know, no parties for you. The party is canceled. You can't get along. If you can't agree, both sit in the corner. No friends, you're grounded. These guys definitely need to be grounded. That would be a very good connected Maybe not till next season possible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, maybe not in the Arconia it seems risky. They need to go back to Long.
Speaker 1: Island does Oh my gosh, that would be a punishment, wouldn't they.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, and you know what's his name?
Speaker 1: You two get along or you're going to be with Charles's sister with.
Speaker 2: Your auntie yep and her cop husband.
Speaker 1: So oh my yes, yeah, so you better be nice. Get along, Get along with each other now, no putting on your space alien costumes and then yelling at each other or motion capture, whatever ridiculous thing that was. This makes me feel like I'm on the show, just like you're. It's like one of those stories your kids tell that just goes on and on and on. It makes no sense, and you have to listen because you're a good parents. But you're like, go just stop stop.
Speaker 2: Well, good news one more week.
Speaker 1: Oh I'll have a nice they'll have a nice time out in between meyby. Maybe they'll get back to to making things that I enjoy. It's fine, it's fine. I'm I'm the grumpy the grumpy dad who sits on a chair and says TV. It's not like it used to be used to be good stories. No good stories anymore. Who are all these people? I don't recognize. These people just just never gets your stuff. It's the coolest look at all the A listers. It's so cool. Look who they got And where's the story? It's a good story.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Why did the nurse have an Irish accent? By the way, Yes, I was suspicious because that seemed just too really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I guess it was just so she could call them out on their Irish superstitions. But that seemed like a long way to go.
Speaker 1: It really did, It really did. Everything in this episode seemed a long.
Speaker 2: Way to go though, So.
Speaker 1: The whole bachelor party stick and.
Speaker 2: The dressing up in the motion capture outfits for the Ron Howard movies.
Speaker 1: Somebody thought that was such a funny idea.
Speaker 2: Mabel looked cute, she did her a little like nineteen forties space.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it did not look like a movie Ron Howard would have anything to do with. But okay, no, apparently he was had that other movie that didn't work out so well. Seemed also to be unlikely, but whatever, it's Ron Howard. Look.
Speaker 2: Isn't that cute?
Speaker 1: Isn't that fun?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And also wouldn't if if the alleged screenwriter was like so mad, why wouldn't they have gone after Ron Howard instead of Saz. I guess it was because Sas wrote a script.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. So the script was with the beer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know how that.
Speaker 1: I thought it was just loosen the refrigerator there, but she, uh Oliver did say that Saz gave him the beer.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, so I missed that. Yeah it was. It was in between like the two layers of camp.
Speaker 1: All right, that makes sense, yes, all right, So that was her little insurance.
Speaker 2: I guess she brought that to the rat party from yeah, or she brought that to the party the night she was killed, right right, Yeah, I lost track of how that got there.
Speaker 1: It's such a tightly plotted thing. How could you ever lose drag in any detail. It's like clockwork, precision entertainment. All the pieces fall into place. So great. Oh no, somebody's murdered Catherine.
Speaker 2: Somebody that somebody's murdering me with it rogue sip of tea?
Speaker 1: Oh no, what's in the day?
Speaker 2: What's in the tea? Is there a script? In tiny little pieces by the tea bag?
Speaker 1: I want to take over the podcast, and so I have sent you some boys at date.
Speaker 2: Now it's now it's catching it's not that kind of moh no, you're all right, Yeah, it'll be good.
Speaker 1: Sure, there's nobody skulking away waiting for their going to get a pillow to put over your face, the old pillow trick.
Speaker 2: Yeah, since when our hospitals so porous, I mean with people just coming and going on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they got the threesome, got gate keeped the first time. But the murderer is able to just slip on in well just yeah. It's almost like this is a TV show that can do whatever it wants.
Speaker 5: Funny how yeah, all right, all right, maybe we had another glimpse of bev melon yes, ending up something revolting.
Speaker 1: It was red bull and was that chocolate or what was that other thing she put?
Speaker 2: I think that was like like beef jerky, like oh gosh, and there was a big bowl of kale on the table, but I don't know she put.
Speaker 1: Any Yuck yuck, yuck Hollywood people, ye yuck.
Speaker 2: God, they're so funny.
Speaker 1: Somebody's getting all their aggression out through these scripts. Who's writing these only murders in the building scripts. Maybe they're the killer. They seem to have some issues.
Speaker 2: If it's who they've said, it's it is at this point. Uh huh. Then that means that Saz's whole like murder Wall situation on her desk was just her plotting the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well that makes sense. It makes sense that she would have written it.
Speaker 2: Mabel does the classic thing of like, you're alone with this person in your apartment and you accuse them basically.
Speaker 1: Of murder, like, girl, get them out first. There's somebody said of her, here, your hobby is chasing murderers. You would think she would know by now. Yeah, possibly the other Westies will.
Speaker 2: Come to a rescue. Oh yeah, that would be a nice.
Speaker 1: A nice uh resolution of that whole whole plot distraction that actually over there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's what it's going to have to happen. That must that must be why they had her do that stupid.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness.
Speaker 6: This season seriously, Yes, some some moments of fun, but yes, yeah, when you look back at season one, like.
Speaker 2: The twists and the way I mean yeah, the way they had the episode with death character like it was.
Speaker 1: Just seemed to be a little more ambitious and now it's just like, hey, we're a success.
Speaker 2: Look a week on.
Speaker 1: And Okay, I mean I like all these people good for them, high five, But it's not as satisfying.
Speaker 2: No, And do we think it was like a big part of it was you didn't know, We didn't know the characters, we didn't know the people in the building. Yeah, so we were learning all that at the same time as we figure out I guess done it.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I don't know. Maybe just a I think it's a victim of its success, whether in terms of having all these celebrities have it that they have to write around, or just that we're used to it now. But either way, I mean, I don't hate it, but I'm wincing as much as I'm laughing, which is probably not what they're going for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably probably not. Well, one more week, Terry. Next week we will and now.
Speaker 1: We can watch Shrinking, which I'm really excited about.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's what you really Yeah, so yeah, next week will be this season four finale of Holy Murders in the Building. It is called My best Friend's Wedding.
Speaker 1: Of course it is, of course it is. What else would it be called?
Speaker 2: And we'll see you back here tomorrow for our weekly roundabout round up.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening. You can find all our episodes on Spreaker, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, or wherever you get your podcasts. You can find recaps, links and an opportunity to comment on our website at parentingroundabout dot com.
Speaker 2: You can also talk to us on our Facebook page, on Instagram or on Twitter, where you'll find us at roundabout Chat. And please visit our Amazon shop at Amazon dot com, slash Shop slash Mamitude, but you can find links to a lot of the things we've talked about over the years.