Speaker 1: You hear us talk about ways to unlock VIP membership through your Apple account in the Apple Podcast app and also through Patreon or Spotify. To unlock a full VIP membership with full access to archives and ad free website and customizable podcast feeds that are compatible with the Apple Podcast app and many iOS and Android apps, along with streaming ability right from our ad free mobile site, go to pwtorch dot com slash go VIP. That's pwtorch dot com slash go VIP That'll give you all the details on everything you're missing out on by not being a VIP member, the whole array of VIP exclusive podcasts like The Way Keller news bulletins, our post pay per view roundtables, The Fix that I host with Todd Martin, Everything with Rich and Wade, and an array of other shows with different hosts and different themes, along with unlocking our archives dating back nearly four decades nearly two thousand. Pro Wrestling Torch weekly newsletters over two decades, a podcast on demand dating back to the mid two thousand, starting with pay per view roundtables of fascinating retro radio shows, including many that I hosted in the nineteen nineties and an AD free website. Exclusive content on that website only for VIP members written and audio, and a lightning fast, smooth, AD free VIP mobile site for all of our content. Don't miss out on all the benefits. Treat yourself to a VIP membership. PW torch dot com slash Go VIP, go all the way, Go VIP, PW torch dot com slash Go VIP.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: PW Torch and Speaker bring you the Wade Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast. It's time for this week's Interview Classic where Wade Keller interview is one of pro Wrestling's newsmakers.
Speaker 1: Ten years ago. This week, I interviewed Jim Ross for over an hour and a half. We talked about Jerry Lawler's role being showed lifted from the main shows on color commentary to being a panel pre show host. We also talked about the roster split for WWE and evaluating how they divvied up the talent and the whole concept. Also, the live callers were out the show with a range of questions and topics dating back to his days announcing Mid South Wrestling and Smoky Mount Wrestling all the way through his Access TV shows and one man shows. So let's get to it. This is the Wad Keller Pro Wrestling Podcast Interview Classic for Saturday, August first, twenty twenty six This originally live stream on July twenty eighth, twenty sixteen.
Speaker 4: That Torch.
Speaker 1: All right, Welcome to the PW Torch live cast. I am Wade Keller, editor and publisher of the Pro Wrestling Torch weekly newsletter since nineteen eighty seven and also pwtorch dot com to mmatorch dot com, covering the world of pro wrestling and mixed martial arts. You can also download our free apps covering all the same content that is on our websites. Just download the free apps. Search PW Torch and MMA Torch in the iPhone iOS and also Android app stores. It is Thursday, July twenty eighth, two thy sixteen, and it is Interview Thursday. And I am pleased with no further ado, to bring on our guest for today's program. Returning to the show one of my favorite guests, Jim Ross, greatest wrestling announcer ever. Jim Ross. How you doing.
Speaker 2: I'm good, Wade, and thanks for the compliment. Maybe I should try to get back in the business.
Speaker 1: I mean it. I was actually yesterday what site was? It came out with the list of the top Raw or the definitive list of Raw theme songs, because you know, there's been a lot of talk of that with Raw introducing their new theme song this week, and so I watched the videos and it just kind of was a fun memory. And after the intros there was your voice, you know, welcome to WWS Monday Night Raw, and I was like, I missed that. I miss that, So it was fresh up things.
Speaker 2: A lot of people I get this all the time. You know, Marronello is the hot announcing property right now, and certainly rightfully so, but I get a little bit it's frustrating when people say, well, he's the best at Jim Ross, which is a cool compliment, but it's as if I don't exist anymore, and I think people still haven't found me on Friday Nights on Access TV and fully realized that Access is not in all cable systems at this time, but they're endeavoring to do so. So it's nice to be hon it's nice to be irrelevant and be able to talk about the business. I've loved my entire life.
Speaker 1: Well, there's no doubt that WWE programming hasn't been quite the same without Youmorrow has been a very refreshing addition to the WWE announced team. Moving back in the direction to somebody who I think adds more of a sports vibe, I mean, you know, I think Michael Cole takes more heat than it deserves because I think a lot of the things people complain about when it comes to Michael Cole have more to do with how he's produced than the job that he's capable of doing. And I thought Monday night he had a really good night. But still all that said, and this isn't meant to be a Jim Ross fan club session here, but they're just honestly, there's nobody who did it like you did it. There was nobody who enhance, enhanced what was happening on television and helped create new stars and blended what vinsmic Mann sees as sports entertainment with what I think most viewers want, which is that immersive sports environment. You were just a master at that.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks, it's been fun and it's still fun. You know, I'm able to do boxing now and a week from tonight on August fourth, my next primetime boxing special can and will air on the CBS Sports Network. So I've still got my tone of water. I'm having fun, and that's where at this stage of our life, having fun is really a high priority for me.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, we missed you over the weekend. Speaking of fun, I know you had a fun time at the other than dealing with the Iowa State Highway Patrol, you had a good time at the George Frego sleuth as Progressling Hall of Fame in Waterloo, Iowa. We missed you over the weekend, however, because of your absence, because you had other obligations, I was able to replace you on the podcast session that was held for VIPL access holders, interviewing for the first time ever, Bob Eckland and Iron Chic together and that was real fun. So I got to say, Jim, I'm kind of happy, all right. Have mixed feelings that you missed the weekend events because it was fun. Bruce Mitchell, who was your guest on your show this week, joined me in interviewing Chic and Backland, and man, that was quite the experience Bob and Chic to two very distinct characters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would assume it was somewhat like herding chickens.
Speaker 1: It was a bit of a yes, glad.
Speaker 2: You had I'm glad you had a memorable weekend. And uh, Waterloo, I said many times it is probably one of the better secrets as far as we pro wresting fans are concerned. And I'll say it here again very succinctly that if you're a pro wresting fan and you're you can get to Waterloo at some point in time for a for a day trip or a weekend or whatever to go to the museum, you should really consider it. Very strongly.
Speaker 1: I agree. And you can fly in to see Rapids, Iowa and a relatively short drive then to Waterloo. Yep. You can also fly into the Twin Cities and many in Minneapolis Saint Paul. And when you fly into the Twin Cities, then you can take a nice three hour drive down to Waterloo and admire the cornfields. Big week in professional wrestling and in w w EE it was a a one two three punch that gave us so much to talk about throughout this week because of the the Battleground pay per view and the newsworthiness of that followed by the first post draft episode of Monday Night Raw followed by the first post roster split episode of SmackDown, and I think the consensus so far is that a SmackDown didn't quite live up to the high bar set by Monday Night Raw, but overall it was a good week for WWE. I think where the real concern is is will there be enough roster depth going forward for Ron SmackDown, especially Raw, to be as good as it was this week. The number if you want to give us a call on the phone lines to join the program, and Jim Ross will be joining us in just a moment once again is six four six, seven to one, nine to eight to eight. That's six four six seven two one nine eight two Weight and we'll begin taking your calls in just a moment. I'm gonna go to our first break of the show and want to come back. We'll get Jim Ross's views on the roster split era number two here in wwwight. But first, here is a word on our website, pw torch dot com. Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite Weightkelor podcasts in PW torch daily casts on Spotify. Just go to patreon dot com search pw Torch and subscribe two of VP membership tier. You get a seven day free trial by the way to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service, and then sync it with Spotify, and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the Waightkeller post shows, the Weightkeller Podcast, Flagship, our Flashbacks, and also the pw torch Daily Cast lineup again all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience, but with third tier membership you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, to Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the Wade Keller News bulletins, post pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup. Go to Patreon and search pw Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial. All right, we are back in. Jim Ross is my guest, and Jim, you were talking before we got cut off a moment ago in our conversation about a watter array of things, but one of them is all the other announcing work you're doing. I want you to talk, if you can a little bit more about maybe get people a sales pitch regarding access TV in New Japan, and talk about the experience for you of all the wrestling that you've called over the years, having the chance to call on a regular basis New Japan's style of pro wrestling, and how that feels different to your skills that compared to Mid South, w CW and the w WS and WWE in particular.
Speaker 2: Well, it's fun, you know, it's a very solid, fundamental sound product. More often than not. You know, they don't hit home runs in every match either, nobody does. Nobody can, but more often than not they score. I like the fundamental soundness. I like the fact that they have winners and losers much much more often than not. I like the fact that they use logic, that they do have a athletic sports feel for their presentation. That's what Mid South was, by and large, UWF. Anything that Bill Watch produced was very athletic centric, including some of the stuff that he did and when he worked for Turner that short period of time. So I enjoy that. That's my it's my style, that's my preference, you know. Now, he being an arresting announcer is all about recognizing and hearing the music that the wrestlers create, and then it is the job of the announcers is to provide the lyric to that music. So first of all, you got to have an ear for music. In other words, you have a feel for the game and some natural instincts, and then you've got to be able to turn around and verbalize that so that you know you're connecting all the dots and you're connecting the what the people are seeing on television with their emotions. So I'm having a good time with New Japan. They like I like the twenty cot on the outside of the ring. I like the fact that they don't use blatant closed fifths like American progressing does. Way too many strikes.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: I have reasons for that, but the striking is way overdone, I am. I am reluctant to say that I'm seeing a more of a proliferation of uh, you know, stunts, Uh, big big spots and big spots and stunts are great if you don't see them regularly. They got to stay special. And that's a big thiev of mine right now, is that the spot monkey type wrestling is just taking bunch for bump's sake, and you know, just out of the blue, going to the top rope, out of the blue, leaving the ring out of the blue, you know, cluttering a group of guys in the outside, and one guy running and jumping over the top rope, and everybody's standing and waiting and catching, which is so illogical it's not even funny. So but the new Japans style is good. I hope they don't allow themselves to fade into what they believe is the needy the trend that they need to adhere to with as far as all the high spots and the like, because it leads to wrestlers working too fast, it leads to wrestlers working sloppy. That leads to injury. I think it leads to what's next? How do you talk? What? He already did? A great example Money Night with their dive after dive after diving on Raw. And then you have a match, the Charlotte and Sasha Banks match where they do two major dies. Sasha does one who she almost seemed like she crashed and burns very lucky on that, and then Charlotte does an amazing moon salt from the outside from the rope to the outside. And if those spots were the only basically the only h dies that we saw that night, it would have been even more spectacular. It meant even more. But unfortunately, Uh, the process to that match was it really managed. I don't think as well as probably they wanted to in hindsight. So but the new fest up is good. I'm having a good time. You know. My biggest shallows on it sometimes wait, it is just enunciations and wanted to do be a professional and not butcher somebody's name. So I'm I'm still working on that aspect of it. So it's fun. I'm having a good time, and it's done in the voiceover sess you know. We the one advantage that Josh Barnett and I have is that we don't have to plug a litany of other things. We don't have to mention a litany of other things. If we don't mention anything but just call the match. Uh, my producer and the network is very happy and no issues whatsoever. That's completely up to us. So uh, and I keep you mentioned about Michael Cole. He doesn't have that option. He doesn't have that option, and nor will anybody ever have that option totally within the WW wheelhouse, and that's going to knock on WW. It's just that they have a lot of things to sell and out of the belief that you can pick your spots and when you do it, how you do it, where you do it, that makes it more palatable to the audience. But by and large, I'm glad to be doing wrestling again, and I hope that folks will try to find our network and on Friday nights and enjoy what we do.
Speaker 1: If you want to join us here at PW Towards Live Cast, you can do so by calling six four six seven nine eight two eight, and we are going to go to phone calls now. Jason from Austin, Texas VIP member. I think it's Austin, Texas, right, Jason, Yes, that's right. Thank you, Wade, absolutely welcome to the show. Thanks for being a college today.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, good to be on with you guys.
Speaker 2: JR.
Speaker 6: A real honored to talk to you. I grew up I'm forty now, but I grew up watching in the mid eighties, mid South and specifically Houston Wrestling with Paul Bosh And I remember just being so into Hacksaw Jim Duggan when he was the lead baby face there, And I wanted to ask you just a little bit about those Mid South uwfda's. First of all, I'm just sort of curious where y'all would tape the TV shows there, if that was in the same city every time, or if y'all would move around, I would go to shows at the same Houston Coliseum, but I don't believe that the day that y'all did TV there. And then I'm also wondering if you think that if there was any particular reason why people who were so serious in the u w F, specifically dug In and the Shepherds and the Sheepherters case vicious characters, uh, why it was that they became more cartoony when they went to the w w F And and was that a missed opportunity?
Speaker 2: Well, the Mid South shows are taped in Shreveport at the Irish McNeil Boys Club, small kind of a super sized TV studio in Shreveport on the fairgrounds there in Streetport. Uh. And then the u w S show was done in the Tulsa Convention Center. So and then the we the other matches were taped actually on the Friday night set of Houston Wrestling, So there was a there was a combination of both. But the Mid South show was straightport. U w S show is Tulsa. Uh I. It's just here's the thing about that, and they simply put the w W had a different uh vision than than the Mid South and u w F. They had a different target audience. Mid South was not a children's product, even though a lot of kids, young young teens loved it. Teens. More specifically, I'd say it was very violent more often than not, certainly at times very very violent. I don't think that was ever ww's MO until the Attitude era. So Doug and the sheep Herders, for example, I'll give you this, they went to a new TV show with a new producer and they were recast. They were recast in a role that best fit that brand and their presentation, so, you know, and they seem to be They did well there, They've made money and probably was less taxing on them physically than it was working for Cowboys. So that's that's the best example I can give you is that it is a new TV show. They were recast and because the shows are different, different demos, different objectives.
Speaker 1: It's cool to get a vintage question like that. When he brought up mid eighties mid South, it made me think of something that made news this week, the new Universal Championship on RAW What do you think of that solution? And are you are you kind of amused by people not liking the name that some people thinking, oh I don't like that name and not actually knowing the history of the word universal in front of a major title, both in Puerto Rico and in the US.
Speaker 2: Well, we had the same flight and when we created the UWS Champion its universal. You know, it was a Universal Champion. So and the theory was, uh, you know, with eyebrows up, that the universe is bigger than the world. So, uh, you know, that was kind of the doctor Internet the overd. I'm I'm nonplussed with I don't have I don't have. It's a name, it's a name. I'm just I'm curious to see how it evolves and how it develops, and that's going to depend on the person that carries it and the people that he works with. So, you know, I'm good with it. I know, no issues with me at all, the Universal, Right, fine, It's just here's the deal.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 2: We all knew going into the brand separation that once the draft was held and the and the brands were quote unquote separated, that there's going to be a lot of bitching and moaning, there's gonna be a lot of second guessing. Because it was a very topical thing to discuss. There's a lot of right ways to get it done. I believe it'll take several months. I've stated publicly I thought it would be to WrestleMania thirty three till we really felt how good this was going to be. Because we could then determine how uh what kind of main events for WrestleMania that each brand is providing us as fans, then I can give you a lot better feeling for how I perceive that the brand separation has evolved, and how it's developed and how successful it is from a creative standpoint. So, I, uh, you know, I think that the Universal's fined. You know an any name they gave it, Wade, I think I would have been a second guest. You knew it. Agree.
Speaker 7: Searching for more great pro wrestling talk then join me. Jason Powell host them the three weekly Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast. Each week he'll hear the latest news and analysis from me and my team at pro Wrestling dot Net along with other pro wrestling media members. Plus, the Pro Wrestling Boom Podcast features long form interviews with notable names in the pro wrestling industry. Subscribe and iTunes, Stitcher, Downcast, and all your favorite secondary apps, or visit us directly at PW boom dot com. Once again, that's PW boom dot com.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I one thing, you made this point with Bruce Mitchell on your show The Ross Report earlier this week of saying, you know, don't fully judge it until Wrestlemanian. I thought that was a great point, I mean, a point absolutely worth underlining and stressing during the ups and downs of the individual ron SmackDown shows and pay per views because one thing that WW is doing and I think they had what would probably be considered to disappointing network number that we have detailed. James Calledo did a great job on the news story in analysis at PW torch dot com today that the quarter two or that the latest network subscription number shows that they're pretty flat in terms of the number of subscribers that they have domestically compared to where they were quite a ways back, going back to early twenty fifteen. The only growth they've really had has been on the on the international front, which is good that they can do that. But I think going kind of go to this point with the roster split, WrestleMania by definition should feel more special because it will be there will be matchups that haven't been run into the ground on raw and SmackDown during the previous you know, six to nine months, and so WrestleMania by definition, I should say definite by hope, they're hoping that WrestleMania will be more special because there'll be some dream matches that you would not have seen on the other pay per views, especially the brand specific pay per views and Ron smacked on themselves in the meantime. Is that one of the big things that you're pointing at in terms of why wait till WrestleMania?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I think yeah, absolutely, You hope that you're supposed to get the very best that WW has to offer at WrestleMania. I think we all kind of kind of agree on that point. And of course the contrarians can say, oh, hellthough it should be good to be weak. Well, that's just so stupid. Somebody just needs to quick jerking the knee jerk in their knees and their face. They're gonna get concussed here. Just take it easy, you want it. You got to build to something, a crescendo. I've always thought that WrestleMania was the big blowoff. It was, you know, it used to be. It's going to be one or two things to be special WrestleMania, the blowoff or the debut, one of two, not maintenance. It's not something along the journey. I think it's going to be a blowoff or a debut. That's my just my take. So you would think that if it's you're getting the best at WrestleMania, let's see what the best will be. Let's see who they perceive to be the best and how they build their best on both brands. You should have two completely separate, separately build not over exposed stories. It should be well laid out. I really believe it's the right way to go in that irs fact, as far as judging the brand separation and the and the split itself, so yeah, something it should be fresh, it should be exciting, and we should really want to go see it. We should really want to invest in this more than just a normal WrestleMania, which is something we all enjoy by and large anyway because of the secnacle of the event and his heritage in history. So yeah, I think it'll be. That's why, That's how I'm judging it. And everybody can do what they want, but I'm going to wait until wrestle Mania and see what they give me as a fan on that card from each show Raw and SmackDown. I need a couple of matches from Raw and a couple of matches of SmackDown on the top side of that card and out they're going to be really good and I have every recently that they will.
Speaker 1: Be absolutely and from the first efforts of Ron SmackDown this week, I think that we saw something that we saw the beginnings of a couple good things. One of them is some new talent coming in, including giving a fresh look maybe isn't looking to the free agency or to their own NXT division and saying, all right, who can we bring into fresh and things up, And the announcement on SmackDown that Shelton Benjamin is coming back. I think it's a really good move. I don't think Shelton Benjamin will be headlining WrestleMania next year. I do think that Shelton Benjamin has a reputation with fans as somebody who maybe didn't reach his peak, that maybe there's more to see from him, both in terms of in the ring and his personality. And Shelton's more seasoned from the work he's done outside of ww WE. A lot of people get laid off from WWE gym and we never hear from them again. They go do something else, and Shelton isn't one of those guys. He's on a lot of work, same which Charlie haas over the years since they both were since they built a part of WWE. I like that. I think Rhino can be a good mid card kind of gatekeeper, a guy who can be on television and work some matches without giving away a full fledged pay per view match and burning it out, and I think that's good. And then obviously Finn Balor, Sasha Banks and Naya Jacks. They've brought in some fresh names too. I just think it makes SmackDown thoroughly more newsworthy. And more exciting when you're not watching warmed over leftovers from Raw, afterthoughts from Raw. So I think we saw some of the good, some of the good aspects of what I thought would make the roster split a good idea if executed well. How would you grade them after two whole days?
Speaker 2: Jim, I'm I give him a good grade, you know, you know, I don't know if he's a. I don't think anythink's ever going to be an A in my eyes because I'm too damn But in particular, it was I thought this way, it was a success. And if we want guys like Ambrose and Rawlins and the younger guys though they've had a lot of indie experience, but some of the young guys coming in the alpha males, uh, you know, some of the some of the real young kids. For them to get better, they have to work with people the skill set of a Rhino, of a Shelton Benjamin, Guys that are green, that are still putting their game together. And don't kid yourself so as well, Jason Shordan has been in a performance center for several years. True, but he's still green and he's still learning. Ask him, he'll tell you that. So for those guys to get better, they have to work with people to have better fundamental skill sets than do they. And I think, WW bringing these these guys in that we've already seen this little tip of the iceberg. I think of Shelton and uh, you know Rhino. There will be others that have great skill sets and experience that can help these guys on these live events become better workers, better performers, take their time, tell a good story, be logical, slow down a little bit, learn to sell the fundamental skills that if you don't have, you you're going to be a flash in a pan. You can't be a spot monkey and have a long, successful, big money career. It's not going to happen because you're going to overload your body with too many bumps and you're going to wear down and you're going to and the injuries are going to start becoming an issue as if they weren't already in this in that business. So I think it's a good move. I think they had a and I like to look Terry garn Rhino is a great team locker room guy. Shelton Benjamin is a great locker room guy. And being somebody that's been in that role, that hired talent, that manage those locker rooms, that manage that talent roster at a very pivotal time in the company's history. I can tell you from experience, you want guys, if you can get them, that are team players that help build people up and not get on a political agenda to tear people down. I always try to find a way, if pop so to get rid of the guys that you just couldn't make happy. You know that Jimmy giohas that adhere to Jimmy Johnson's philosophy of management. These are the Dallas Cowboys. If I can't solve your problem, I wouldn't eliminate it. And that's pretty much the way you got to look at it in this business.
Speaker 1: The previous caller, first caller Jason from Austin, did ask a follow up question. I'm going to get to that. Actually, I want to get to that moment. If the first thing I want to ask you is about Shelton Benjamin and if you agree with my premise that he didn't fully reach his potential during his first run in WWE, and from your observations, if if you agree with that premise, if what was missing and what could have changed to make him more of a money player during his time with WWE.
Speaker 2: Well we we, and I said, I take full my share this responsibility, never have a shirt from that and as a team thing, Sheldon could have done more as well. But looking at the company, we could have done more to develop his personality and to give him more opportunities to talk and connect with the audience. There was never any doubt if anybody that had you know, had any logic, had vision, you could see he was a frequent athlete. And I'll tell you this that we had a great class with I think two thousand or so with Shelton at less Or seen, Batista and Orton. Pretty good recruiting class. Uh And none of those guys were a better athlete than Shelton. None of them. And I'm not knocking any of they're all big stars, they're all millionaires. But Shelton was the best pure athlete of the group, including brock Lesser. So he and I talked to him. I saw him in Japan when I did Russell Kingdom nine and we had a breakfast. We had a long talk about that. You know, he realizes that he needed to bring more to the table with his personality and talking, and you can't just say, why did he get the opportunity To get the opportunity, you got to create opportunities sometimes. Sometimes you got to come up with an idea. Sometimes you got to go to the preta room and cut some promos at the decision makers and the creator. Guys can see, uh, may not even thinking it's going to err on television, so you can think, can hear what you do when you're when you're doing your best verbal work. So it was a combination of things, you know. Uh, But I think that I think that'll be addressed this time, and and I think he'll I think he'll step up to the plate and do a really cool job of talking and communicating. You got to communicate to connect. If you don't connect, you can't get over. So it's it's kind of dominoes falling here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally makes sense. Jason from Austin did email the follow up question. He said, what was it that made Bill Watts different in a positive way for most other promoters? What was different about his Mid South shows that made them so good?
Speaker 2: He was a fundamentalist and he didn't waiver on what he believed to be the the necessities that you have to have to be a talented pro wrestler, you know, all the fundamental skills of logic, physicality, selling, facial expressions, being believable, not doing things that are eye rolling. Just you know, he just a very sound fundamentalists. If you put it in football parlance, he really believed in blocking and tackling. You know, it's great to run reversus, it's great to run gimmick plays or gadget plays as they called them. He didn't have a problem doing that from time and time either. But he really wanted you to block and tackle, so to speak. The fundamentals needed to be in place, and he wanted people to believe in you to the extent that we talked about before. You know, if you if you're going to work in his territory and you've ventured to somebody's tavern and a civilian you're getting a fight, and a civille and beat you up, you lose the fight, you lost your job. Because he wanted to keep that illusion that the pro wrestlers were the toughest guys in town, and he had that much pride and respect for the business that he believed that and the KFA was alive and well with him, and you know, and again, you know what about today, I don't know about today. I don't know what you know. I see a lot of talents that they care less about the KFA, and they can care less about suspending this belief. They just want to get their spots done. And to me, that's a short term solution and to facilitate a short term career.
Speaker 1: I do want to sneak in a plug for the towards via. If you're listening to us on the Apple podcast app, on Spotify, or any other app that allows you to rate our podcast, please take a moment to give us a five star rating. It really helps us in the algorithm and helps them know that you recommend us to others. Just look for a place to rate the show on Spotify, on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to our shows, and please click that five star rating. And of course, thank you so much for listening. All right, I got that done and out of the way. That is probably the last hard pitch I'll give for the one dollar sale. So thanks for bearing with me on that, everybody, and I hope if you haven't acted on it yet you'll take advantage of this really special deal. All right, We now go back to Jim Row and we go back to the phone banks. If you want to join us on the phone lines, the number is six four six seven to one ninety eight twenty eight six four six seven to one nine eight two eight. Jim Ross is my guest, and our next caller comes from area code three one zero. Please stay tore name and where you're calling from.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 4: My name is Josh from Los Angeles, California, and I'm a VIP member as well.
Speaker 1: Excellent, Josh, thanks for being a VIP member. Really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Thank you, No, thank you for having it open. Honestly, it's amazing. Every day I'm reading more and becoming better of a fan. Well, I wanted to first before I ask my question to j I just wanted to say, actually just a thank you. I think, thank you for pretty much being a part of my youth as I was growing up in the attitude era. Uh, you are as comparable to me being from Los Angeles, as Evince called with some Dodgers the chick late grade chick hern from the Lakers, and it's just been great to see some passion and commentating. It's not something I get to see often in sports. Not a big fan of any commentators. So I just wanted to first thank you very much to Demarks for all your hard work and your passion and what.
Speaker 2: You do well. Appreciate that very much. Kind words ron always well received. Thank you very much, No problem.
Speaker 4: I just had just two quick questions and then I'll get off the line. I know in past interviews that I have listened to you here on the PW Torch that you talked very song, you know, the Shelton Benjamin and saw a great aspect and potential in it. So now that news.
Speaker 8: Has broken back, if you were the booker, what would be his first program in order to rebuild his brand, especially with a new audience that many may not know who he was when he was first in his first tenure. And then my second thing is if you had you know, the w W gave me the option to work one show first, you know, between smackun a Raw, and then you have the ability your or two show to go to the other show if they need a new rebranding. Which show would you lend your voice to first?
Speaker 4: And that's all my questions.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys, thanks appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Well, it's hard to say, you know what what what talents you parent Shelton with. I think that you've got to Sheldon. Would you got to get Shelves in more some RNE time and repremieerize his work and his abilities to today's audience. And one way you can certainly do that is kind of how they did Tuesday Night with some uh, some videotapes, because he has done things in his ww career that were absolutely fantastic. He did some scinillating things and and TLC match his ladder matches. Uh, he had a great match I think with Shawn Michael. So I can recall just off the top of my head, I started to read acquaint the audience and was in his first trip through. I'd probably want to do a set down interview with him to show people that he can talk and find out why you're back. You're forty one years old, what do you expected? What do you want out of this run in WWE, which will probably be your last one? So and give a sense of urgency and a need to succeed now, and then you know, do you go all the way with him with a let's say a intercontinental title or a US title shot or something along those lines. I would have no issues of that whatsoever if the table was set correctly. So I think the key thing right now is Shelton is to make sure people know who he is and his abilities. But as far as you know, I get this all the time about you know, when you when you're gonna go to WW or would you go back? You know, first of all, there's been no dialogue about that. I'm very happy working for Mark Cuban's company. I'm very well compensated to fly to Los Angeles about eight times a year and going out there next week. We're going to voice over eight shows in two days on Tuesday and Wednesday, before I fight to Charlotte for the NW Legends fan Fest on Thursday through Sunday. So busy week. Next week a fun week, great week for me as a wrestling fan. So I I really, you know, I already thought about the w W stuff. I'm not. I love watching our shows. I watch all the programming I can, I cheer lead them. I'm happy for the guys. It's you know, you can't spend twenty one years there in the role that I was in and not have an emotional investment into the brand. And I'm not Hey, even when I was there, I didn't like everything that we did. I didn't like everything that I did much less to the company. So I don't know. I they got what they want, you know, they got Michael Cole is so underrated and undervalued and tomorrow you know, he's a hell of a broadcaster, kind of a throwback guy. I just see that they're they're played by play seats are full for the foreseeable future, and I'm I'm thinking, you know, the next thing they're going to do is try to get Tom Pillows ready for one of those roles. You know, you got to think that Cole is somewhere somewhere down the road, is going to come off the road, uh, as much as he is, because he's really involved with the n XT. The poor guy works as he works as ass off and he's just he's a really has an amazing work ethic. It as a good human being.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And I've always felt really badly, you know, the angle that we did way back in the day, where you know, he and I had our issues. I thought that was so ill conceived and knee jerk. I just I and it didn't do him any favors. People didn't like him and a lot of people still don't like him because of that, and it's silly. It's just it was fiction. So uh but I don't really have any today. If Vince called me and said, hey, j are you going to come back to work, I absolutely I consider it. And if it's the right thing, and it would fit my schedule and all the ducks were the stars are lyned and ducks for an order, all that good stuff, all those spichtes. You know, sure, sure I'd go back to work, but I would pick my spots. I want to go back. I've always been a team guy, Wade. You can't have guys that make the help have helped build your brand that aren't team players. And I'm not. I want to practice what I preach. If Vin's call is said JR. Newgaveca at the WV Okay, where do I start? I wouldn't be saying, well, what am I going to do? And you know what's you know this that and the other. I know it'd be paid well because it's always paid well, extremely well in the last several years. And I know that he would take care of my travel and I'd have good working conditions, so I wouldn't even question that. But that's not really what I'm looking for right now. I like my schedule, like doing the boxing. It's a new challenge for me to see if I can be a good solid boxing broadcaster. And so far CVS likes what they hear, so that's good for me. And you know, I like the rest of the I'm doing, and I'm going to do other projects. You know. That's you know, we're still talking about other things. So I don't know, man, I that ship's kind of sailed and they they're moving on, and I don't blame them. I'm sixty four years old. Do I really want to go back on the road every week and do wrestling? I don't want to go back on the road every week and do anything. And if anybody travels, it deals with TSA and laid airplanes and over soul flights and reservations and hotels and things. Would say, I know exactly what JR. Is talking about, just at the stage of my life where I don't want to invest my time in that laborious a situation of challenging travel. If I don't have to if I had to, don't get me wrong, I'd do it, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.
Speaker 1: The Shelton Benjamin matchups on SmackDown Jim are intriguing to me. If Shelton comes in as a baby face and you kind of think he will, because returning stars fans tend to be excited to see, and it can be kind of a head you face aheadwind if you try to get fans to boo them. But on SmackDown, I like the idea of Shelton against Bray Wyatt, Shelton against the Miz, Shelton against aj Styles, Shelton against Alberto do Rio, and Baron Corbin. I like all six of those matchups, all five of those matchups with existing top heels on SmackDown. If he came in as a heel, there's plenty of intriguing matchups too. He could make it all the way up to Dean Ambrose if they worked a program where Shelton won some matches and built up to a title shot. If Dean is still championed by then, but heel Shelton against sena heel, Shelton against Ziggler, or he'll Shelting against Randy Orton or even Chalice do want Apollo Cruise? All those are good either TV or pay per view or horse show matches. I really do like Shelton coming back, and I like that he's identified primarily with SmackDown historically. I think people see him maybe as a SmackDown guy. So there's a lot of intriguing matchups. Which of those one or two matches most jump out to you?
Speaker 2: Oh gosh, I would say, you know again, I go back to my philosophy. It would probably help Baron Corvin. If he's going to make it, he needs to work with people that are better than him and have more experience than him. So Shelton could probably be a great asset to see exactly what you got in Baron Corvin. How much more can he can Baron Corvin improve? Is he does? He have the aptitude to get really really good? You know, obviously he's past the w of the eye test. He looks like a star buying, large, big guy, believable guy, good legitimate athletic background. I like that as I always have. But you know, a guy like him would be a good good for me. Shelton and working with a Cruise that he wouldn't be bad because Cruise is also green. I would stick with these. Hey, there's no doubt is Shelton work with Dean Ambrose? Uh, Sheldon gives anybody on that roster a run for their money workwise, anybody anybody there. So, but where can he best contribute? Well, if he needed, if you get if he got hot and all of a sudden his character got over and people want to see him, then you want to run in with the top guys that are there now. But if you're if you're looking at bringing him in as a facilitator and not a job guy. Everybodys gon to understand the difference in you know, it's just so I get frustrated sometimes even talking like this that people you could almost way in hugs forty the same thing. You could almost envision or hear the descending opinions when you and I are talking. Well we ah, but you know, wait a minute, you know it's that kind of deal. Just let things play out a little bit and let's see how it evolves. But there's just put it this way. There's nobody on the WW roster, on either brant that Sheldon couldn't have a great match with if they have the skill set, if their skill sets are still evolving, then he is a valuable guy to make them better. So he's a real hate you look at what they're bringing in and what he can bring to the dance. He's a very valuable piece of talent. So you know, but I think right now, for me, I would have him booked on the road the fifteen or twenty minute matches, probably fifteen's with the Barren Corvins of the world, and in hopes that Sheldon can make them better, and I know that he can excellent.
Speaker 1: Let's go to our next caller. Six one six, you're up next. Please state your name and where you're calling from.
Speaker 9: It's their congrat That's how you guys doing doing good?
Speaker 1: Eric, Thanks for Colin. What do you got well?
Speaker 9: Russ No, I just have a question who when he had his time at Smoking Mount Wrestling, who was who was the best guy? Who you think of our best worker was? And I saw an interview with him and Al Snow and you abom and he El Snow was just funny. That was the funniest problem when he put the Ricky Morden wig on because I found I found on YouTube the entire the whole career of Smoking mount Wrestling. I just want to know what he saw thought about that.
Speaker 10: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Thank I enjoyed Smoking Mountain Wrestling because I had kind of uh gotten out the game on a weekly TV game at that point, I had the instrict back to work, and I always enjoyed working Jim Cornett. I think he's one of the great minds I've ever worked with in wrestling. Uh. And I had, you know, I had I had a lot of fun that working with Les Thatcher uh as a partner. But you know, he had some good talents there, you know, Chris Jericho and Lance Storm or Hell Team, uh the thrill Seekers I think they call themselves. So they were very good. Uh. I you know, I don't know who the best was, but those two guys jump out at me as being really really good.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 2: But they had some very underrated guys there that Cornett found. Cornette was much like Paul Hammon, and they both learned from great bookers that you your best asset as a booker is to recognize your talents, talents, skill set, and you and you book them to what they do best, and you try to make sure you avoid what they don't do well. So uh, the Cornette did that extremely well. Learned a lot from Bill Watch when he was there as a manager of the Midnight Express. So uh, but you know, rock and Roll was still I saw the rock and Roll work two weekends ago and uh so they're still working at Ricky Wharton sixty uh and so they were good. They Jericho and land Storm were going to jump out at me on that. It's been a while back. I needed to go back and refreshmen memory who I was there. But it was fun. It was it was fun, and I remember al I first ofmever met Al Snow was there and ironically, how does people think? Al Snow and Glenn Jacobs got to the WWE. You know, I saw them and I and I was getting faid, I'm still working for events, and I said, you know, I'm getting involved in that ret role of talent relations. And so we brought them both in. So uh and Glenn, my god, how how good a hire was Glenn Jacobs. I'm not tired of break my impatting myself in the back. O'tenty. Glenn Jacobs, He's such a value. He's been so valuable that company over the years that it's not even funny, and so he was one of those guys I've mentioned earlier. Wait about Shelton great in the locker room? If anybody ever heard any negatives about Glenn Jacobs not being a great leader of a locker room or a real pro nobody doesn't happen THERESI didn't heard it because it's never occurred. So that's what you look for in perfect world. It's just it's really hard to find that. So but but smoking out was a fun run for.
Speaker 1: Me, excellent. I do want to make a quick note of a new Spots were having this program call called Fanessentials dot net. How would you like to get all of your fears?
Speaker 12: Are you a fan of AW looking to sit back, relax and listen to some like minded podcasters who share your passion.
Speaker 13: Do you want to be topped off the ledge after a segment that has you wondering what the heck are they thinking?
Speaker 12: Do you want to join a discussion on what AW is doing right and what they could do to improve? Then join me.
Speaker 13: Joel and me Greg for the All of THEE Conversation Club every Friday on the PW Torch live cast.
Speaker 12: Fee search PW Torch in your podcast app and subscribe to PW Torchdaily Cast or stream our shows directly from PW torch dot com. Find full details on the PW Torchdailycast lineup at PW torchdailycast dot com.
Speaker 1: Of course, that's MMA torch. All right, we are live with Jim Ross here at PW torchlivecast dot com. Tomorrow, Bruce Mitchell and Travis Bryant get together to talk to you once again about all the events in wrestling this week. The look on Travis and Bruce's face when I told them full of shame that they missed last week's program in the middle of the Hall of Fame ceremony was pretty priceless. I wish I had the video camera going. I told Bruce first. I said, Bruce, you know, we completely forgot about your Friday live cast. We were so throwing off by driving to Waterloo for the Hall of Fame and we had planned to do it, and all of a sudden, it's like sixty five or you know, six forty five local time, and I'm like, Bruce, You've got to live casts. He's like, oh crap. And then I went over and told Travis and It's like I told him his cat got run over by a car. It was like he was devastated. So they are going to be very happy to be back in the normal slot Tomorrow's seven Eastern, sixth Central, taking your phone calls and talking about the ten they spent with me in Minnesota and Iowa last week. We had a really good time with a we got to I'll watch Battleground together and then do a long roundtable review for VP members right afterwards. But the highlights certainly was the Hall of Fame weekend in Waterlo, Wiowa that Jim Ross and I talked about at the top of the show. All right, let's go next to Tampa, Florida. Please state your name of the city or calling from, or I think you're in Tailor.
Speaker 14: Hey, hey, Wade is Jay from Tampa.
Speaker 1: Yeah? Absolutely, thanks Jay for Colin. What have you got for Jim and Jim and me today?
Speaker 14: Hey, yes, sir, I have two quick questions. My first question is do you think it's too soon to say that SmackDown may have made their own decision based off of going with Dolf Ziggler or not, or maybe they just have another trick up their sleeve that we don't know of just yet. My second question is about the just the friendly competition in general between the two brands. How are we, as see the general viewers going, how do you what do you think they're going to do to and keep us informed? Do you have to go through it every week after this about what the ratings were between the two brands? I mean, how are they going to relay that information across to the viewers.
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 14: So something maybe the viewers may not even know what that may consist of. So I'm just kind of curious of what you're going to do to roll that out to let us know what's going on.
Speaker 1: Two great topics Jay either order Jim, the spirit of competition between the brands and how they relay that on TV. And the surprising push of Dolf Zigler into a main event title match at SummerSlam.
Speaker 2: Well, I, first of all, regarding the ratings, I think I like a lot of fans don't care about the ratings and don't understand them and don't know how they're acquired and don't know what they mean. Raw numbers are easy to do. One show did three million viewers, the other show did two point eight million viewers. That must have been the shows did three million viewers is better than the show those two eight two point eight million views, And that's certainly not accurate. It's the show was best is the one that you watch them both and you decided by your own standards that one show is better than the other. Than that's than you're than you were right because it's so subjective, you're right where one you like the one that's the best? Uh Again, it's the entertainment content a show, so which one to entertaining the most? So I don't know, I'm not the ratings things. Is the ratings issue in pro wrestling is a byproduct of entities like the Pro Wrestling Torchs and the Wrestling Observer and blah blah blah. They they have they have covered it and they talk about it because it is a TV show that has ratings. But I do believe that the average casual fans tuning in uh more often than not or whatever, doesn't really care about their TV numbers. They care about being entertained and liking what they see. But as far as Ziggler is concerned, I have absolutely no issues whatsoever with Dolph Zigler finally getting an opportunity to wrestle in the main event level match at a major pay per view for the WW title.
Speaker 13: Uh.
Speaker 2: He's He's been a loyal, hard working guy. He's probably been undervalued at times in his run. There's been a lot of frustration about how he's been booked over his tenure. I have no issues at all. If you're looking. If if anybody thinks that he and Ambrose once that bell rings in Brooklyn won't have a great match, then I really feel badly for you because there's no doubt in my mind that Dolph Ziger will will deliver a great match. And if Zigger doesn't win and he and he gives Ambrose an amazing match, so that ambroses stock rises that Zigger did everything he was asked to do. It was a win. It's a win there. And same thing with fn ballor everybody. Everybody's alone with Finn Baller and I am a huge fan of his, but there's a lot of fans that don't know who the hell he is. They don't watch an XT thet they watched USA Network and they're not If you and look, just do the math. You know you mentioned earlier, I think you said that THEW Network at one point five million subscribers right now worldwide.
Speaker 1: Right yep?
Speaker 2: And so at the point I don't do this, Okay, So what Raw did over three million viewers this week? Right yep? Okay, So I'm wondering how many of those three million viewers subscribed to thew network. Obviously many more don't can do So my point is, I would assume that my point is is that Ben Bower is no more ready to be a title match of seth rawlins than Dolph Zigger is. You're pushing the reset button on this step brand separation. There's got to be a step back, There's no way around it. There's got to be a step back. And what that requires is what many thinks don't have patience. So Fiv Vala has been wedding his entire life to be in a WWE main event at a huge event like SummerSlam all his life. He's mid thirties. I say he's mentally ready, he's physically ready, and he and Allis will have a dynamite match. But I'm not going to tell you they're gonna have a much better match than Ambrose and Zigner, or they'll have a better match at all. So you know, I don't have any issues to that. I'm glad this Zigger's get an opportunity. I think it'll be the product built to Bill. Product is going to be outstanding. And I think at the end of the day, isn't that what we want? That we want a great match for a big show like that, and if we do, then they're gooded to you.
Speaker 1: Excellent. Let's go to our next call here, Eric code seventy three two. I think Scott is back with us. Hopefully we have a better connection. Scott is you?
Speaker 5: It's me? Is a better connection, gentlemen, Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: Go ahead and get right to it in case we lose your connection.
Speaker 5: Though, we'll do too quick. Kid. It's an honored to talk to You've been watching you for twenty five years. Love everything you do. Keep up the great work watching out Access TV. Keep it up, it's great. But two quick points, guys, and questions related to them. Jim. One of the things I loved so much in your career during the rebirth during the Attitude era was the interview segment you did with Nick Foley with gold Dust, etc. Do you, guys foresee something like that being brought back with the new era with Smackdowvin Raw because like interviews, like the days of Piper's Pitt and all those things being brand exclusive, I think could be a real draw for the shows. What do you guys think about that?
Speaker 2: I think that the innering talking segments need work. They need a fresh coat of paint, buying large, they seem predictable, and they seem to at times depending on the topic and the guests to pull the shows down a little bit, kind of stopped the momentum. Most of the stuff that I did with Foley and Golden. As you mentioned, there are several other guys. I remember doing a interview sitting in the middle of Rock in Austin before one of their I think it might have been Wrestlemanti in seventeen. I said down, and of course it was done in pretape but no script and no rehearsal, just as a point of reference. But that didn't slow the showdown as far as stopping the you know, having the middle of the ring and all that. It was a it was two big stars that we that we did, and I thought it was just a phenomenal, But I believe it was part of the storytelling process. And now that WV has their own network, which I subscribed to since day one. I would think that there are several places on that network that that something like that would fit on a on a timely basis. But I do think that to make it get over, they got to have a shelf life. In other words, you might do the WV network exclusive and then let it and then drop it back in raw and smack down in some form if it's really a good set down interview. But the talents, she really liked those because they don't have the audience looking around that they're to memorize all their lines. It's more organic, it's more natural, it's more conversational, they're more relaxed. And when they're more relaxed and they're they're able to freethink. Generally you get a better product with it. So I can't say what w Who's going to do or they're not going to do, But I do like those set down interviews and it was one of my favorite things to do back in those days.
Speaker 5: Well, Jim, it was the pleasure of the fan, and I think it was so meaningful in getting fully to the Mick Foley over to the next level to sit down. You did in ninety seven, and just like you said, I think there were no young thing they do on the network. Guys. The unfiltered gives you a little glimpse into that, But with all the time, I think it really could give you enough the depths to the wrestlers and the characters and Jim before I lose you. I have too quick old questions based on some of my favorite moments from your career. Of course, oh awesome. First one is this when you guys came in. When uh, Jim Crock Promotions bought UWS in eighty seven, Steve Williams was so good. Was there ever any talk of Steve Williams versus Rick Player like a UWF unification match, because that would have been so good and it could have been built up so well.
Speaker 2: No, I don't. I don't remember. I don't recall that it might have been. I don't recall it quite frankly. Uh, the the UWF became a very quick afterthought and for no really good reason. Uh. In hindsight, it was ill conceived, bad positioning. I thought, I'm biased, so take that for it's worth too. But Flare and Doc would have had would have had a great series with that question. Doc was healthy then younger, he hadn't got he hadn't got dismantled by all his Japanese work. Uh, so they would have had a great, a great run. I think good, good, good matches with that question. So, but I don't remember any talk about it.
Speaker 5: I would have been, Jim, it would have been amazing. And the last thing also is about doctor because he was one of my favorites when he was brought into the WWS in ninety eighth in the situation with the Brawl for All and Everything? Was your initial plan for him to have a program with Austin over the title like that, you know later on after that Ball for All. That's why I thought was going to happen, and that's what I was hoping. I'll be listening for your answers, Jim. It's a pleasure, really in honor to talk to you. Lade. Thanks as always. VIP is the best money you can spend each month. I'll be just listening to hear about doctors that appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Guys, we would have liked to have had We were looking for a new opponise for Austin and we thought that, you know, there might be one more program with Doc and Steve, not one more for Doc and Steve befo. They had never worked in a program, but we thought Doc'll get a good program out of him. But you know, uh, that was a kind of an emotional hire me. I thought it was. I wanted to give him a shot at one more, one more go around. Uh and Vince, who was for it. Uh you know our track record that they're hiring talents that had been pretty good at that point in time. So we just thought, I thought he would be a great dancing partner for Austin. But I didn't realize you know, Doctor was really beat up and uh, you know, he was not going to be able to go as often, but he could certainly go some. But no, we didn't have any nobody forecasting as look at this this quadra set torn off the bone and rolled up his legs. So at his age, that pretty well put him out of business, you know, to a large degree. So uh, we wanted we wanted to see if we could get doctor death over and that if we could have him in a program with Stone Cold, but uh, he just we never got that far down the road before the injuries and they're wear and tear caught up with it.
Speaker 1: You know that last segment you're just listening to and the next one that you're waiting to listen to. Those can be one second apart. With a VIP membership, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our shows. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP tells you how to do it. That's pw torch dot com slash Go VIP options exist within the Apple podcast app using your Apple account through Patreon, which, by the way, you can sync up with Spotify or just about any iOS or Android app. With a full VIP membership, you can customize the feed for individual shows and clusters of shows and themes. Go to pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details on all the options to listen commercial free and with upper tier options unlock our VIP exclusive podcast run throughout the week every week excellent good calls, good questions today, real wide range of topics. Let's bring in another caller and go to ericcode two one nine. You're on with Jim Ross. Please state your name in the city you're calling from.
Speaker 15: Hey, waiting Jims, Charlie from Chicago.
Speaker 1: Charlie good, Good to talk to you. What have you got for Jim?
Speaker 15: Yeah, So I think every buddy who's watching wrestling right now would agree that Seth Rollins just has unlimited upside whether he's a heel or a face. But you know me, like a lot of people were hoping that he was going to come back as a face, and you know now that they're pushing Finn ballor to the moon and he's looking like he's going to be the row babyface. I was wondering, how long do you guys think that you know, Seth.
Speaker 16: Can fill that heel roll And I mean he does it great. I mean he does it better than anyone out there right now in my opinion. But I do want to see that babyface Seth Rollins someday. And I was just wondering if you guys thought or had any opinions of when that would be.
Speaker 2: Well, when I said what happened, timelines would be would be really uh swiming upstreens because I don't have any idea of timelines. I know that he's going to be a better heel if pardon me, if he can wrestle more like a heel. He does so many sensational, athletic things it's hard to do like him. He doesn't have a retreat gear, so that's a that's a problem. So in other words, and I'm not knocking Seth Rowlin's work, he's one of my favorites, but he doesn't help himself. He's got a tweak his style a little bit, tweaks the game plan and and and acquire more heel tendencies. I'm not saying he's got to be Rick Flair and he's got to beg Off and all this stuff, but he's got to do more the settle things that make him be perceived more as a villain and less. Uh. He's the sensational worker. I mean he does, he does some amazing things, and he's a He's a terrific athlete without question. So he can help himself that heel roll right now by tweaking a little bit. There's no doubt in my mind, and I think everybody would probably agree that at some point he will be a great babyface. When that will be, I have no idea, but hopefully it won't be one of those bouncing back and forth. Let him get his run. Uh as a as a heel, he'll be a lot better baby tastes if he does. But he can help his own cause if he tweaks his game a little bit and adds a few heel like wrinkles to his presentation.
Speaker 1: In my opinion, Yeah, that's fascinating, Jim, that's fascinating in that you know, there is a ring style that Seth wrestles that is something that sometimes runs counterproductive to getting booed when you're so good and exciting at what you do. And I think Chris Jericho, somebody maybe Seth could watch to see some of those subtleties of getting booed. Are there other wrestlers historically who like Seth have a skill set that appeals to fans, but they managed to do the little things really well to go heal? I even think sometimes Seth maybe watching nineteen eighties Mid South Teddy Biassi would be a good thing for Seth to develop that heel character a little more.
Speaker 2: Teddy Biassi is a great wrestling heel. Sean Michaelos was a great Ric Flair, a great wrestling heel. Uh, there's a lot of them over the ages. Nick Bockwinkle, how good was he forgot? So there's a lot of guys and I'm not saying, well, everybody go retro, No, don't I want him to go. I acquire these things from a philosophical standpoint, and that's what That's all I'm saying. You look at the philosophy of the presentation of those guys I mentioned, and there are little nuances, small things. Could this be body English, it could be facial expression from their game, And he's going to be a better heel. That's all I'm saying. He doesn't do anything to make me dislike him. Why should I dislike seth Rawlins? Can anybody tell me why I should dislike seth Rawlins as a fan? What does he do to make him a hated or dislike villain?
Speaker 1: Well? And I think with seth Rollins, Jim, there's a modern fan who thinks their role is to cheer anybody who's really talented and who worked really hard and earned his spot. I think it's rather right or wrong part of why fans reject Roman Reigns and cheer Kevin Owens and seth Rawlins. And I think that puts extra weight on the shoulders or extra responsibility on the shoulders of Kevin Owens and seth Rawlins types. To study heel wrestlers to maybe sometimes tone down the athleticism, forego one of those exciting dives that you talked about at the beginning of the show, and instead rub the opponent's eyes over the top rope, scratch the back eye, gouch, you know, just simple little heal moves that make fans go, wait a second, he's so talented, why does he need to do that? Oh, it's a shortcut. I like, and I'm going to cheer for the babyfaces who do the more athletic, graceful moves that are within the rule book. Those are the things that I think the seth Rawins types of the world could do to help help modern day wrestling get back to what I think makes the experience most enjoyable for fans, whether they know it or not, which is as you just asked that question, and there's not necessarily a good answer. Why would I want to cheer this wrestler and boo this wrestler. When fans are engaged that way, the products so much better than when fans are sitting there with their proverbial one to ten scorecards, rating high spots and chanting this is awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the I would agree with that whole hardly. I think sometimes we forget why we were are fans because we loved it, we get lost in it. I don't know that a lot of a lot of fans, not all, but there's there's a vocal minority that that they don't get lost in it anymore. They just go to be a part of the show. Seemingly. They go to critique, be critics, to draw attention to themselves in any way that they can. And I regret to that we were in that era right now, but we are to some degree, and I hope it can change that. I don't know that one thing that would help it change is the talents have got to recognize what this defiant vocal group doesn't like and try to incorporate some of those things into their repertoire. So it's just a it's a psychological you got to you gotta If you want to be a villain, you gotta you gotta have some villain qualities. That's as simple as that.
Speaker 1: Charlie from Chicago, do you have anything else for us?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 15: No, I just want to say you guys are awesome. Real credit to the Wrestling podcast World. Jim, I saw you at the house of Blues show you came to in Chicago a couple of years back and it was really great, and uh, Gay, thanks us the best, give up the good work.
Speaker 1: Excellent.
Speaker 2: Well, I appreciate that. I'm enjoy doing those shows.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: We got one coming up a week from to night in Charlotte at the much anticipated end of a Legends fan fest. I'm doing my one man show on Thursday night. Uh, Tony Fan's gonna be a Q and A that night as well, and Jim Cornett's gonna do the Jim Cornett Experience. So it's a hell of an opening night there for the NWA Legends fan Fest and a little plugs. You know. If you're want more information quickly, I'd say just check out NWA Legends dot com if you're arresting. It is a cool event. I'm really found to go to and I'm looking forward to so many great stars. I'm writing a story now. Yesterday, a couple of days ago, I talked to Cody Rhodes, Magno, Tier, Tony Shavanni, and Michelle Rhoades, Cody's mom, because I'm doing a piece for Fox Sports fox sports dot Com about Dusty going into their Hall of Heroes a week from tomorrow night. So it's gonna be a fun event. I'm a very emotional event with Dusty going to the Hall of Heroes. Road Warriors are going in, the Baby Doll Jimmy Valliant a cool group going in, and I'm a kind of excited way to hear how Hurricane Helms, Oh, Gregory Helms is gonna be the MC. I expected an held a job. He's a funny guy, sharp guy. So it's in Charlotte at the Hilton August fourth through seventh, and it is a if you're a fan, you can't not like it if you're able to get there. And I understand everybody can't get there, but there's folks coming from all the country to go to it. If you can't get there, I get it. But if you go, I promise it you'll be hard pressed to not have a wonderful time in Charlotte next week.
Speaker 10: Hey everyone, longtime PW Torch commist Sean radikin here to let you know I've rebamped and renewed the Raticant Worldwide podcast for twenty twenty six, a weekly VIP exclusive. Every week, I break down four or five of the biggest trending topics in pro wrestling. I also present my analysis, providing insight that helps you understand the story better or see it another way. Then maybe is the controversial takeout there. Then I bring on a special guest for the second half of the podcast. Sometimes it's a wrestler or someone else who works in the business. Other times it's a guest analyst who brings their specialized point of view out a particular key topic in the news. Recent guests have included Bronson Reid from WWE and PCO. One of my areas of specialty is the japan wrestling scene, so I often cover a big topic from Japan with PW Torch's own Alan for Kelly Wells and Chris Lansdell. I don't just cover the news. I don't just riff on the news and give a standard hot take. I'll bring my decades of studying this industry and talking one on one with dozens of wrestling promoters to each week's show so you understand not just what's happening, but the context of why. Get ahead of the news. Get ahead of the pack with Radking worldwide only at PW Torch VIP.
Speaker 1: Jim. One thing I want to ask you about wrestlers looking back at and learning from history, the history of their sport, their industry. Did you notice a change in terms of in the nineteen eighties, how much reverence and knowledge did wrestlers in the eighties have for wrestlers in the seventies and the sixties, and then in the nineties, did that change in the two thousands, did that change? Have you noticed that as you've aged in the business, you've noticed younger wrestlers either respecting and knowing history more or less or was it about the same. It's kind of an expect.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that the smart wrestlers are the guys that study DVDs now are go online digitally and and look at their predecessors. The guys that are smart do that. The guys that are defiant maybe is the word are? You know, they just aren't smart enough to figure out there's a lot more to learn than they already have learned. But the smartest wrestlers I know one example, Steve Often was a tremendous student of the game. He watched a lot of videotape, and he watched a lot of content, a lot of product during his WW run that even when he was on top of the world, nobody could touch him. So he was just he was a real student of it. And he still is, by the way, So the real up at this way, the smart wrestlers, anybody, anybody that's in the business that hears this. The best advice I could give you as far as outside, you know, being reliable and not being a problem and creating problems for yourself is to study your predecessors and take little things out of their game that you are able to transfer to today. And that's not saying you've become You're gonna wear wool tights and all the bad guys are gonna wear black boots and the baby Face are gonna wear white boots. And I'm not saying that whatsoever. I'm talking about the nuances. And some guys don't realize, and some fans don't realize that. You know, baby faces should book differently than Heels, baby Face should have different body in whish than heels. There's the little subtle things that the greats were able to do that differentia of them. If you go back to YouTube and watch old Buddy Rogers tapes from the fifties, watch how he walked to the ring. His walk to the ring identified him as two things. I am a star and I am better than you. He's a heel and he was an amazing heel. He did that simply, no pyro, no music, maybe just spotlight every now and then. But the way he walked, the way he carried himself, told his story. That's a nuance that other guys could certainly use today. Just little things. But you want to do it where it's natural and organic, not where you're trying to be a pre imitation of Buddy Rogers. Be yourself. So I really believe that that's the key thing now. And no I do my shows, these one man shows, I get these questions. I really encourage young wrestlers that are in the audience, man, pick out some of these greats. And if you're an artist, then look at some great painters, the great artists, rem Brands and Picasso's. If you're hey, look, I can tell you this. I'm watching in the background. I have the NFL network on and they're doing training camp stuff. How many NFL receivers do you think study Jerry Rice or Chris Harder or Randy Moss the smart ones? Did the smart ones due because there's little things they could pick out those guys game that will make them a better NFL player. So it's it's transferable, man. I'm sure actors do the same thing. You know, actors watched it. I used to, you know, actors watching somebody else's work, a Pacino or a de Niro or all these guys. You could just even learn things. I learned so much from watching Gordon Soley. I watched. One of the great things for me when I lived in Atlanta was Joe Petsino had his big wrestling block on there, and I would watch all these wrestling shows on Saturday night as I was between marriages, as they say so, and I could give enough product. I was immersed in it all week at WCW, and I'd watch it all weekend, and I listened to every announcer, because even the announcer that weren't perceived to be great, I could learn something from and I did so. And you never stopped. You should never stop learning, never stopped studying tape.
Speaker 1: I just think that's great advice. I think that the wealth of just little subtle tips that a wrestler who's been in the ring a lot can pick up from watching the all time greats, just makes them better at what they do in ways that some people might not notice overtly, like they might not even know why is it. I'm more into this wrestler in the role that he's playing now, But they incorporate little tricks of the trade. I'm sure like you talk about wide receivers magicians. I'm sure great magicians watch past great magicians. It would be crazy not to. Why would you want to reinvent from scratch things that others have perfected through hard work and time. So yeah, I think WWE network has helped in that regard. I guess, Jim, do you think there's more of that because of technology that wrestlers over the past ten years are probably learning more from the past? Or is there more of a disregard for history among today's generation than there was in the past.
Speaker 2: Well, the technology is there to facilitate it, for sure, way no doubt. It's a matter of you know, I can tell you that one of the troubling things is a societal issues, not pro wrestling issues. A societal issue is that a lot of specially young males and I'm assuming some young females too, But it certainly seems to be more prominent in males. There's certain certain you, certain groups of young males that are very defiant and they already know, Oh I got that, I got to I understand that.
Speaker 13: I know.
Speaker 2: I'm good. I'm good. Well, you're not good because you're not learning. You stop learning. And if you've come I've said this before it and I hate to be redundant, but it's real simple. If you want to reside in any comfort zone in business or relationship, your career, whatever, you're asking to fail because when you stop growing, you start dying. It's that simple. Stop growing, start dying. That's a transition. And you know, when I left WWE in twenty thirteen, you know I had the option of driving. If I drove from road from Stanford and Vince McMahon's office to Laguardi Airport to fly back to Oklahoma, I had two options, retire or reinvent. Obviously I took the latter. I reinvented, and I stayed in the game. I didn't want to dwell in that comfort zone because I was scared of my own philosophy. I didn't want to get stagnant and start regressing and start dying and So that's how I look at every day. Every day, I should be able to do something in my life better than yesterday, and to be time management investments, selecting gigs to do, taking this project or that project, turning some things down that might not be good for my career just for the sake of a payday or something. But I really believe in that philosophy. So young guys that believe they got the world by the testicles and everything's they got everything under control, need to realize you don't. It's a false sense of security. And if you don't change your attitude, you're going to start You're going to reverse your trend. You're gonna go back the other way.
Speaker 1: Let's get one last phone call in before we wrap up today's program and go to New York City seven one eight. Please state your name and we're calling.
Speaker 11: Sure Mike from Brooklyn. How do you guys going away?
Speaker 2: Just ja do good? Mike?
Speaker 11: What have you got for Jim Ross question? It's already didn't touch, you know, touch the topic. You know, I just wanted to get you know, J's thoughts on you know, the Universal tackle and also the U four C. You know, you know AJ styles and you know what the track wants, smack down, that's a lie.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Thanks Mike Man, thank you for calling.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 2: I'm a big Aja fan, I really am. I had him on my podcast when he was still in Japan, the Ruff King of Nine match, so I got to call one of his big matches in the biggest event that new Japan. Has. I had a chance to hire him and I we laughed about this. I passed on him and he said his best thing that happened to him because he wasn't ready for w W. I didn't think he was ready either, so we did hir him. Uh, but he was very green. I do believe today he's as good at workers w HAS. I don't think they have any I don't know that he's the best, but I can tell you that he's as good as anybody I see in the business in a long time. So I can't imagine him not getting a tenure with a championship. I think it's inevitable when it happens. I don't have any idea, but he's he's really really special. So and I don't you know as far as the Universal title is concerned and how it's going to evolve and all that I really, I'm not smart enough to tell you today how it's going to do. I got to see it, and I got to see it developed, and that's why I said all along. I think that the brand separation is we better judged more objectively with more evidence and not just you know, a personal preference over a show by WrestleMania thirty three than he can be today. Give an example, Twitter follower, I want I'm on Twitter at jrsvvq. Okay. I had a guy tweet me Monday night, excuse me on Tuesday night, about twenty minutes into the show's back down lives, and he wanted to know how I would judge or rank the announced team in twenty minutes work. So here's what that tells me. That person has no patience. That person doesn't know that you can't make that decision or make a viable, intelligent opinion in twenty minutes. It's not fair to those three guys. It's not fair to anybody. So I think that's kind of where we are sent over here. Everybody wants everything now way, it's all now, quick, quick, quick, and I think this is something that we can't have now. We have to wait until see how it evolves before we can all make an intelligent decision. You can make a decision, but you got to make it. Go to make an intelligent decision when you have more information, and the more as you have, the better the decision will be.
Speaker 1: What did you think when you heard that Jerry Lawler was no longer going to be a color commentator on either Raw or SmackDown.
Speaker 2: Wasn't surprised at all, based on the fact that the brand H separation was going to create new and they wanted a fresh approach. It's kind of like the moving the Raw announced team back to the near the pyro uh back to the stage area change. It was just to be different, you know. I experienced that once upon a time. Wasn't crazy about it. I just I fed off the audience that are surrounding me, and I think a lot of broadcasters do. It just gives you a little boost. They help you, they're drilling helps you. It's infectious. And the thing about being so far away is you're not surrounded by the audience. Your back of your back is just a wall the stage and you're in your back. You're not surrounded by the fans, so you lose a little bit of that energy. Uh. And of course then you're you're. The running gag is that you're you know, you feel like you're something from j R's barbecue, you know, on that hegel that damnpiro uh and the noise is hidious. You cannot allow yourself to have your head headset off when the pyro goes off, because it will you'll crush your ears your drums is bad, bad business. But that that kind of thing, I just uh, you know I I I think that we got to get these guys time. And I hey, I think that I'm always been a two men guy. I like the two man teams. But if the companies, if the company says they want three, then make three work. And it's and here all just be aware that it's not easy. The best three man team I ever worked with was Vince Lawler and me from from from my point of view, but I thought, when they were going to do this re shuffle the deck, Jerry and nobody's gonna want to say this, but Jerry is sixty six years old and they want they want to start new. You start new with a sixty six year old guy in any business, I mean, think about it, you know, in a prime role. Cherry's got a role on TV, and I would venture to say he's making exactly the same money he made for doing Raw and or smack Man and or the pay per views for doing exactly what he's doing. And here's the thing about it, Hey, I wouldn't mind a gig like that where you fly to one location every week. You always fly to New York, you always go to Stanford, You're always in the same hotel, you're in the same studio, the same technicians, and you're doing your your your pregame and postgame shows. I think that'd get blast. I'd love that gig.
Speaker 1: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: I haven't hit Cherry, but he's you know, when I saw him last at Oklahomania, he was happy and looking forward to to you know, he's glad. I think more we leave to get all that that domestic violence Bologny away, and domestic violence it itself is at Bologney. Don't get me wrong, But I think the situation he was charged with was he was a kind of kind of ill ill faded. I don't know if the word is wade. You know, he didn't do anything, He didn't strike the woman. He didn't do any she was she was intoxicated and he was just trying to manage her, take her car keys from her. So, you know, they say the only when I've been this way, if it was said about me, I'm nott. The plot called the Kettle Black if you the only person can stand a drunk is another drunk, And Jerry doesn't drink, so uh hard to communicate with someone that's that's uh ineviated and uh and I'm sure that matters being addressed and and she's a nice young woman and all that. But uh, you know, I think he's Hey, look, he's got a great job, he's making good money. I feel great. I feel good for him. The travel might even be more easy to manage because you know where you're going and where you're everything. Uh So uh I I watched him on the network on Whatnot but maybe Tuesday night maybe uh And I thought they, you know, potentially is a is a real cool thing. And I'll tell you somebody else is good. Scott Stanford is really good. Scott Stanfford is very underrated. He's off the radar, and he's really good in that host role. So I like the guy. I'd like, Hey, if they look. If they need somebody else to do that role, I could make myself available if necessary. I'm kidding, but I think it'd be fun. I think it'd be fun.
Speaker 1: iPhone users, if you're listening to us on the Native podcast app on your iPhone, you can unlock our commercial free versions of our free shows by searching PW Torch in Apple Podcasts. You'll see a charcoal grade logo that says PW Torch VIP on it. Click on that, there's some free samples of VIP shows and you can unlock the entire VIP lineup, which includes VIP exclusives plus commercial free versions of the free shows, by searching PW Torch in Apple Podcasts and clicking on the PW Torch VIP logo and then activate your three day free trial, and after that you can become a VIP member using your Apple account. It's that easy. Enjoy a streamline listening experience to our free shows and unlock all the vp P exclusives, including our post pay per view roundtables, the Wade Keller news bulletins, Everything with Rich and Wade, The Fix that I host with Todd Martin, and a variety of other vip exclusives. Just search PW Torch in your Apple podcast app. Jim, thank you for the last ninety minutes or so of your time, and it is always a pleasure having me on the program. I love when we bring callers into the mix and we just end up going places that we want thing to go on our own and it helps us answer questions that the listeners have that that maybe we wouldn't have gotten to. So I want to extend a big thank you to our callers for a good wide range of topics going back to the nineteen eighties to Japan all the way to to just Tuesday SmackDown. I do want to say before we let you go, Jim, that you have a podcast and a blog, and we've kind of mentioned in passing the podcast at Bruce Mitchell was on this week, but people can find that podcast at podcast one dot com. That's ow any podcast one dot com can also subscribe to the Ross Report podcast on popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android and of course iTunes also. Jim, you do that show once a week and it seems like it continues to be an outlet and a format that you are thriving in with your love and knowledge of the business to be able to make some nice money in front of a really big audience who can listen when it's convenient for them to. You sit down and talk in long form with a lot of people you've crossed paths with over the years. I mean, who would have thought this would happen ten years ago? I know you did. I mean you helped create Kevin ash and have him break out of his mold and show off his character when he's Viny Vegas on your Was it WMC Radio in Atlanta? Was that the call letter?
Speaker 2: Yeah? WSB in Atlanta A seven fifty WSB every Sunday night for a good while. There's a lot of fun.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think that started back.
Speaker 2: I agree, And I tell you I want to say the fans that one of the things I really get a charge with. I love doing the podcast. I love talking to different people, the different walks of life. The one I'm nomin there. Every guest I've ever had on my show has, whether it's been Michelle Beadle or Ronda Rousey or Bruce Mitchell this week, they're all wrestling fans. They have a love of the business and something that's drawn them to pro wrestling, so that way we all have that in common. I don't try to have a variety show. I'm going to do a wrestling show and I'm going to take care of my wrestling demographic in my audience with these guests. But also I'm having fun doing and I've really got to We're working on with two different new management groups on my one man show. I think you're going to see a lot more activity from me on those. We're a real good team together now that's looking to be very aggressive on booking me. There's a lot of options out there. I got this show coming up next Thursday and Charlotte as part of the Fan Fast. As I mentioned, I got another show on Friday night, September twenty third in Baltimore at Jimmy's Famous Seafoods. That's going to be a very intimate show, about three hundred capacity. Jim Cornet's going to join me. It's the weekend that they're having their big Legends FanFest in Baltimore. It's gonna be a great show. Tickets that are on sale. And this one note, and I don't want to sound like a good a telethon here, but just as let everybody know I'm doing right now schedule to do two shows at WrestleMania thirty three. Both are matinees, one on Saturday before the Hall of Fame, one on Sunday before WrestleMania in Orlando at Plaza Live. And I am under the impression that our tickets will go on sale for WrestleMania shows the day after Summer Slam, So anybody wants to spread the word on that tickets on sale the day after Summer Slam. That would be Monday, August twenty two at ticketfly dot com. And last year, the VIP tickets sold out the first day. We end up selling three shows out a little were one thousand people per show. So I hope I want to come. We'll join us. I know it's a long way off, but the tickets, you know, once you sell out, you can't you can't create more tickets. So that's all just a read. Those shows are really fun, and it's an extension on my podcast quite frankly, because all it is is answering questions and addressing topics from the audience and having fun, trying to be funny and humorous and tell stories and interact and get back. I love the interaction with the live audience, so those shows are going to be more frequent. We're working on a tour of the UK. We're working on a tour. I just got an email this morning. I think our Barbecue, Sauces and All Our Condiments is going to be in Australia, New Zealand and Singapore this fall, and with that will probably be a rollout of maybe some ringside shows in Australia. Never been there ever. So a lot of good things are happening that I'm having fun, and they all bring me back to the fan base that has supported me all these years. So it's a it's a really good time having as much fun right now as I think I've had in my career. So I'm really blessed happy.
Speaker 1: I got a taste of the One Man's Show environment. You talk about interacting with fans, and you know, it's great doing podcasts and our format here being able to take phone calls. I get to do that a couple times a week. But this past weekend in Waterloo, I got to sit next to Dave Meltzer for the first time we had ever been on a panel discussion together. We both started our newsletters back in the nineteen eighties, Dave a true pioneer wrestling journalism, and again congratulate him for winning the Jim Melby Award for Excellence in writing on professional wrestling. He absolutely deserves it. But it was great. And then Greg Oliver and Steve Johnson, two renowned historians on wrestling, joined us on that panel discussion. I did put it's the only place people can hear it start to finish. There's a YouTube clip up of most of the show, but the entire Q and A is up for VIP members exclusively. They can hear me and Dave Meltzer, along with Greg Oliver and Steve Johnson take questions for about an hour from a packed room, and we sold out the place at the water.
Speaker 2: I'm standing, well, he uh, it's fun you feed out there. The audience is good, your show is good, and you know, that's like watching all our SmackDown. When the audience is really stellar, it motivates everybody to do a little bit more better work. And and then if you're watching it home like most of us do, uh, the shows are perceived to be better because the audience was buying what they were seeing, So that's good. I was I'm sorry I missed that. I I'll check it out on on on your side because I I'd love to hear the discussion. And that's very, very bright, intelligent company you were with, and so I will check it out.
Speaker 1: The last two questions from the crowd. One came from an eleven year old boy who asked a great question and it was it was really fun answering, and then uh, we were going to wrap up at that point the show, and then all of a sudden, somebody in the back off to the side raised his hand and said, I'd like to get a question in before we finish, and it was the Mayor of Waterloo, as he's dubbed Jerry Briscoe longtime Freddy or is Jim. He asked a question and my answer made Dave Meltzer laugh harder than I think I've ever seen Dave laugh. I did a screen capture of that on my Twitter feed at the Wade Keller. If people want to follow me, you can see the screen grab. You have to listen to the podcast to hear what made Dave almost fall over in his chair when I answered Jerry Briscoe's question For us, it was a very fun time when I have a new appreciation for the one man show format. Sitting in front of that audience and doing that it is not something I'm used to. I'm used to sitting in my home office and got the headset on and doing my thing and not really having that eye contact and body language that I have to concern myself with or feed off of. It works both ways, and both doing the live podcast with Iron Cheek and Bob Backland with Bruce Mitchell on Friday afternoon and then that Q and a panel discussion with Dave, greg and Steve on Saturday afternoon or Saturday morning. It was really a fun experience. I hope it works out in your schedule to be back next year. I know Kyle Klingman and the whole crew over in Water that works so hard to make that a really special Hall of Fame and couldn't be named after the museum, couldn't be named after a better, more accomplished wrestler and Dan Gable and I just I just am impressed at the improvements and strides they make each year in that in that Hall of Fame. So so that was awesome. Good, Well go ahead, Jim.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're a really good team. I'm sorry. They're a really good team. They love what they do, and I'll always be ready to do more for that group of people than than you know, anybody. I really respect what they do and they treated me great, and I just can't encourage folks enough not to check out the museum in Waterloo. And it's kind of like, you know, I'm conflicted. It's like next week, you know, in Charlotte. Gosh, you know, at one time Charlotte had were two hundred wrestlers living there, and people wonder why Charlotte is such a hotbed still for pro wrestling heritage and Connie they were the big stars of the of the region. Long before the NFL and NBA came to town. There was wrestling in NASCAR, and NASCAR was in this infancy. NASCAR wasn't as big as pro wrestling in that era. So it's just an amazing that roots are so deep in the culture of that community in Charlotte. So but anyway, I said, for you know, next week, they think about my week. Next week, I want to go to LA and voice over eight wrestling shows with nobody. Uh, well, the only thing I got to worry about, and I've got my notes I've been studying. I'm preparing now is just call what you see? And I love that. So I called I told somebody this by an announcer, I will remain nameless. He said, how do you do your shows? I said, we call what we see? He said, how do you do that? What do you mean? How do I do it? How does the football announcer call a football game? You call the plays? He's caught what's on your monitor. And so that's what we do. We call what we see on our screen. And it's so much fun. We could focus on one thing, and that's try to tell good stories. And then on Wednesday, after I finish those eight shows, I'm flying for Los Angeles to Charlotte and hit the ground running on Thursday on opening day of the NDA Legends fan Fest. So I have a dream weekend next weekend. And thank god, I'm healthy and I feel good and I am blessed to be able to have these opportunities. So again, OJR is not residing in a comfort zone, and I suggest everybody to follow that. If you don't remember anything else this damn thing, remember that, don't find your comfort zone. If you find it, get out of it.
Speaker 17: Move, good advice, need an extra dose of positivity in your wrestling podcasts? Will come join me Alan fourrel Over in the Progress Paradise at pedew georch VIP as we mosk on the bright side of wrestling and focus on some of the great matches and shows from around the world, be it the US, Japan, Europe or Mexico. There's always a place for restlings past in the Paradise too, and we've done fun historical shows such as the We Love Liger series celebrating the glorious career of Jusian thunder Lighter and Our Eye Was There When shows where our guests will join me to talk about a classic bout that they were in attendance for. We love variety and you can expect lots of it at the Progress Paradise. Detailed pw Torch VIP subscription information and a list of all the VIP benefits is available at PW torch vipinfo dot com. And yes, all VIP podcasts are compatible with popular podcast apps on iPhone and Android devices, or you can stream them directly from our ad free VIP mobile site. See You in the Paradise.
Speaker 1: A Dutch mantel by the way did his first post WWE interview with me two weeks ago on this very show. So if anybody missed that, Dutch is so good, he was such a.
Speaker 2: Guy as you guys, Dutch a thatch is a great mind. Dutch is really really smart, great logic. He's a logical booker, and he understands human nature. And when wrestlers and bookers and they're all that that comes together, that understand human nature. And you play upon the seven daily sins some shape form or fashion. Uh, you're you're, you're just you got a fighting chance to be really really good. And Dutch is a really really good booker, and.
Speaker 1: And he's funny. I love his dry sense of humor. He was just great. I really really encourage feel check it out a good in, really good insight. One of my favorite parts of the show two weeks ago was his comment on Donald Trump stealing his gimmick. And he means it literally. Donald Trump saw him do the zab culter ulter conservative tea party type of character, and he came up to him at Russell Median said how much he liked what he just saw, like he and and and it turned out Donald sort of converted after versus his whole public approach, and it seems to be clicking. So Dutch tells a story way better than I just did, and it's worth checking out for that reason. But he talks about the incarnation of his character with Alberta do Rio and and I don't want to spoil it. I'll just say you got to hear his answer to appreciate what that was all about, or what he thought it was all about. Really good stuff. We can't wait to have Dutch on again, and I'm honored that he chose our show to be the first place that he talked after his WWE stint. The Jim Ross blog is up. Just google Jim Ross Blog. Don't even worry about the r ls because it pops right up at the top of Google search returns. Jim writes about wrestling. You can get insight from him throughout the week and read Q and A and his thoughts on what's going on in in wrestling. I also encourage you mmatorch dot com. With USC two to one coming up, check out our coverage there. I'm really proud of our MMA coverage and right now at pw torch dot com, unmatched coverage of wwb's financials and all the information that came out today. Fascinating comments Jim about from George Barrios about whether WWE would be for sale, and of course, Jim, everybody's for sale for the right prices. The man we spoke of, Teddy Biasse, once said, but their answer about whether they are for sale like USC was for sale is really interesting for people who stuck with us through our plugs. And in this part this chapter of our podcast, Jim, your real quick thought on how the wrestling industry might change if WWE sold for an offer that Vince mcmahnon company could not refuse. You've been through that once before, or you've seen that in history, Bill Watts being bought by Jim Crockett, Jim Crockett being bought by Ted Turner, Ted Turner being bought by Time Warner a well buying Time Warner. I don't know that that always goes particularly well. Is that something that you'd be interested in seeing happen or do you fear for the industry if it did.
Speaker 2: I would rather wait and see how the UFC sales going to transition, because the sale of wrestling companies has not been overwhelmingly successful. A lot of those just was a sell and liquidate type thing. So the track record in that has not been in stellar. Not saying it can't be, I think it's going to be. It's a matter of who buys and who they put in to manage and run things that that has great product knowledge. If you put people in the you can't Wrestling is such a unique thing. Pro restu is such a unique entity that you really need product knowledge to make it work. And so I think if we follow along how the USC is going to transition with their buy out, the buyers were smart and keeping Dana White in the key role because he's the guy that helped build a damn thing. So I'd rather wait to see how the USC is going to evolve to answer that better more intelligently. But just if you exclude the USC situation, you find out that the good looking back at the wrestling sales have not been overwhelmingly successful. So you know, again it's I would say, this is somebody who's going to put the big, big money up and buy w W, which I have a hard time he fathoming right now. Uh, Then I would say, uh, it would all depend on who they put in air as a management team, and they're they're gonna pay lots and lots of money for it. So you've got to believe that they'll have a well thought out and have a great management team that has product knowledge to see you go for it. But I, in the sense of common sense, would say everything has a price. The Dallas Cowboys, Cherry chose to sell the Dallas Cowboys. They got enough money. Uh and uh it's the most and I use the Dallas Cowboys because they're the most expensive franchise, most valued franchise in all sports. Everything is for sale for the right money. Uh So, But I just don't know that. I just can't see w W selling anytime soon. I think you're looking at up, you know, to make with Paulovec and Stephanie a whole generation running that company. H But make no mistake about it. I saw somewhere with somebody it was a rig revelation. Somebody said, well they found out lo and behold there was Vince McMahon that decided that them Bowler is going to go over on raw and the Dolphsigger is going to go over some back then. Yeah, it couldn't believe its man mate. He makes, he makes every major decision. It's his dream, it's his vision, it's his He's the pulse of that company. So as long as Vince is alive, you can bet your ass say, w W is selling to nobody. In my opinion, that's all just my opinion. And if they ever sell, I think that the Covenant Adviser will spend so much money they'll put a great management team in place, uh to help perpetuate the genre. So we'll see, you know, we'll see. It's it's interesting, it's not to me. It's not a surprise. What is it for sale? It'll be the best question. And I hate to answer a question of the question, but waite, what isn't for sale in a commercial business?
Speaker 1: Exactly? In a commercial business, everything is for sale, I mean, because the fact is is, if somebody came up and said, here's ten billion dollars for a commercial business that you love, that might in your mind be worth a lot less, but you love it, you don't want to give it up. Well, if they give you ten billion dollars, think of the good you can do for the world and your family and your friends. You'd be selfish not to take it. So you know, at some point there is a price. Obviously, not everything is for sale for a fair market price, because there's people who just want to live the life they're living and do what they do and don't want to sell out for a fair market price. But if somebody really wants to aggressively buy something and they're willing to what you think is overpaid for it, of course you got to consider it. And you know, usc and Dana White of the Bertiita Brothers built something really special in a and it was high risk, it was not necessarily going to work out, and they deserve to cash out. I do hope that owners treat treat the fighters well and pay them fairly. I think a lot of fighters are taking a lot of blows to the head for very little money, and I'd like to see that the management and the structure make sure that without taking a big hit to profits, that that the fighters who are filling out the undercards do a little bit better than they have been doing. But again, it's a it's a you get what your work worth on the marketplace, and you gotta win some fights to make big money, because that's what people are actually paying for, are those big money fights. But still you want to see with new management, hopefully some things being done that maybe weren't feasible or part of the process before. Jim fantastic, heviny on We never know where conversations.
Speaker 2: Are you ready to go?
Speaker 1: But I always learn and always enjoy conversations. Check out Jim Ross at the Jim Ross Report at podcast one. Bruce Mitchell, who is a phenomenal analyst and a valuable part of the Torch. I do shows with him every week and you can if you enjoy Bruce on Jim Show this week, you can hear Bruce and me talk every good job.
Speaker 2: He really, he did a real good job. We take the show after we both watched Raw. Then I got him on the phone and we had a ninety minute show and he really came to play, And I really was pleased with the show, and I think the folks who listen to it will be pleased as well. We covered a lot of ground and answered a lot of questions regarding Raw and smack Down, the draft, battleground last in our situation, all kinds of stuff. So it was a good It's real good. You'd be very proud of Bruce's efforts. He represented the Torch very well.
Speaker 1: I am proud of Bruce. I am I know what we have with Bruce as part of the Torch team, and I look forward to the Bruce Mitchell Audio Show when we do it for two hours every weekend, and it is a big part of the reason we are able to do what we do with the Torch vit site with staff like Bruce Mitchell doing what they do so well, and yeah, it's a good stamp of it, and I'm sure you facilitated that well too, Jim. Thank you everybody. Here we go and again big thanks to Jim Ross for his time and insights. Your time is valuable. Go vip and listen to our show's commercial free a nice streamline listening experience. Pw Torch dot com slash go vip for full details on a commercial free listening experience, and with a full VIP membership, you can create custom feeds for individual shows or groups of shows by theme, and also unlock nearly four decades of archives and access our ad free website with VIP exclusive content. PW Torch dot com slash go vip. Your time is valuable, and that's one of the reasons we offer VIP membership pw torch dot com slash go VIP. You can participate in the Wadkeller Pro Wrestling podcast by emailing your question or topic to Weadkeller Podcast at gmail dot com. You can also participate in the Waykeller post shows by emailing Weadkellerpost show at gmail dot com during or write after Rod Dynamite or Smackdone. Let your voice, let your opinions be heard on our shows via email. Weight Keller Podcast at gmail dot com for the flag Ship and Wade Keller Post Show at gmail dot com for our post shows. It's next level coverage that you come to expect from the PW Torch brand. No AI, no rookie perspectives, no unfounded rumors, no clickbait, no deceptive headlines, just high quality writing, breaking news and fascinating flashbacks every day at pw torch dot com. Pull yourself away from the vacuous social media experience that I know many of you regret once you get lost in it for minutes, if not hours at a time, and settle in for high quality PW Torch branded wrestling coverage. Admit it, you love Nick Barbatty when he co hosts with me on the Wadekeller Post shows. Well, now you can listen to him every week on The Nicky's Club, a VIP exclusive podcast. Here's Nick to tell you more.
Speaker 18: Hey wrestling fans, It's Nick Barbatty and I'm back with the Nicky's Club, the place where the family of Nicky's comes together for big laughs and Shark takes on WWE for Wrestlmaniu Immer to surprise returns. I got you covered. The Nickis Club where the wrestling feels like the coolest club in town.
Speaker 1: Nick Barbatti wants to be part of your pro wrestling life every week, so why not let him go vip pw torch dot com slash go vip for full details on signing up. We're compatible with Patreons, Spotify, Apple podcasts, and just about any other iOS or Android app out there. You can also stream directly from our ad free VIP website, The Nikki's Club waiting for you every week at pw torch vip. Did you know that you can enjoy commercial free versions of all of your favorite weight color podcasts and PW torch daily casts on Spotify. Just go to patreon dot com search pw torch and subscribe to a VIP membership tier, you get a seven day free trial by the way to kick the tires a bit and see if you like the service, and then sync it with Spotify and you can listen to commercial free versions of our free shows like the Weaightkeller post shows, the Weightkeller Podcast, Flagship, our Flashbacks, and also the pw Torch Daily Cast lineup. Again all commercial free and nice streamline listening experience, but with third tier membership you can also unlock all the VIP podcasts, including Everything with Rich and Wade, to Fix with Todd Martin that I host with Todd every week, the Wade Keller News bulletins, post pay per view roundtables, and an array of other VIP exclusive podcasts with different hosts and different themes. Check out the lineup, go to Patreon and search pw Torch and subscribe and sync it up with Spotify or stay within the Patreon ecosystem. Either way works. Go to Patreon and start your seven day free trial. If you're listening to us on the Apple podcast app, on Spotify or any other app that allows you to rate our podcast, please take a moment to give us a five star rating. It really helps us in the algorithm and helps them know that you recommend us to others. Just look for a place to rate the show on Spotify, on Apple Podcasts, or wherever you're listening to our shows, and please click that five star rating, and of course thank you so much for listening. PW Torch VIP membership doesn't just give you add free access to these shows and a ton of other VIP exclusive podcasts throughout the week, but you also gain access to our unmatched vast library of wrestling history, our contemporaneous week to week coverage through our progressing Torch weekly newsletters dating back to the late nineteen eighties, along with streaming and download access to hundreds of retro radio shows from the nineteen nineties, including some of my interviews with wrestling's top newsmakers in the nineties, and also our podcast library dating back to the year two thousand and three. There's no larger, longer spanning pro wrestling podcast library than that that comes with a PW Torch VIP membership. Now approaching twenty years of podcasting, go vip and dive into our post pay per view roundtables are covered with some of your favorite eras of wrestling top name long form interviews and special format podcasts that we've done throughout the years. Pw torch dot com slash go VIP. We have a streamline signup form and you can pay with PayPal or directly with your credit card or debit card. In one or two minutes from right now, you can be a VIP member and diving into our library. PW torch dot com slash go VIP