Speaker 1: I'm Ali.
Speaker 2: I came out after twenty years of marriage and I have three kids.
Speaker 3: I'm Melissa and I have two kids, and I came out at thirty seven after an eleven year marriage.
Speaker 2: This podcast is about coming out later and the struggles and victories that come with it.
Speaker 3: When coming out feels like the end of the world, but it's really just the beginning.
Speaker 2: This is the lesbian chronicles, well of the.
Speaker 1: Philosophy of chronicles. Why are you asking me live? And I don't know what you're gonna say.
Speaker 3: Okay, it has nothing to do with sexuality.
Speaker 1: So there's and then know that there's somebody sitting here.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I went to Trader Joe. This is not embarrassing at all. I'm just wondering if this has happened to you or do you go to Trader Joe's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, occasionally. So I don't love it, but I like it fine.
Speaker 3: I mean same, It's usually really busy that annoys me, but I like that it's like fairly inexpensive and like just different stuff than you'd find in like a normal grocery store. Okay, but what I've noticed is every time that I check out of the one here in Peachtree City, that they will be scanning my stuff in the cashier will be like, oh, what do you use this for? And I'm like, today it was miso paced and I'm like, to make miso soup and they're like, oh, that's really interesting, Like what else? And I'm like, wait a second, Like you guys are making making me feel like I'm smarter than you when I know I'm not. You work in the grocery store. But I'm wondering, like I heard recently that Trader Joe's like employees are kind of told to like create conversation with their customers. Yeah, And I'm like, is that part of it? And I've just been rolling through there. It's being like I really know a lot about ingredients, like.
Speaker 2: I always I know exactly what you mean when they make conversation, but it only happens there.
Speaker 1: It actually happens at Whole Foods too.
Speaker 3: Really. Yeah, But I'm like, do they not have any other question? Because I always get asked the same question.
Speaker 1: No, because they're doing it all day. They're so done.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like that sounds terrible.
Speaker 1: So done.
Speaker 3: I've been rolling around here thinking, oh, man, like I'm really educated on cooking, but really.
Speaker 1: Do you ever look at other people's carts? Yeah, that's what I do.
Speaker 3: Like, what are you buying? What do you look really healthy?
Speaker 1: I know that's what I was gonna say.
Speaker 2: When I was growing up, my dad would always say to like just look at how people look and then if they look really good, like kind of like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I.
Speaker 1: Mean it's the same thing.
Speaker 3: I was looking through the frozen food stuff and like they're like microwave meals and I'm just picking them up and like looking at the calories and the fat content. And I did that to like a couple of packages in this woman next to me, and she's like, she goes, I just did the same thing. I was like, yeah, five hundred calories, six hundred calories for a frozen meal. Not worth it to me.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, you're getting into a little diet conversation with Is that a diet? I think?
Speaker 2: So I'm into the carb situation right now, Like that's what I'm watching, and so I'm constantly looking at things that I thought were okay and then they're like sixty carbs.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about the weekend though, this coming weekend, Yeah, you're coming into town.
Speaker 3: I am. Yeah, we've got a loaded weekend here actually.
Speaker 2: Especially you, although now that Tatum's coming in, I'm kind of like Tatum very last minute was like I'm coming. I just want to, you know, kind be lazy at home. So I'm kind of like, what am I not now doing?
Speaker 1: Oh boy, exactly.
Speaker 3: Well, I'll be at mund Park Fest on Saturday, bartending or I shouldn't even say bartending. I'll be pouring beer.
Speaker 1: I'm going to come to that.
Speaker 3: Well, come see me. I can't see you. Are you going to be which, like, where is Poplar Street?
Speaker 1: Okay? Poplar Street? Okay, we'll come find you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I'll make sure to pour your beer really good.
Speaker 1: What hours are you there?
Speaker 3: One to four thirty?
Speaker 1: Okay, got it? Yep, all right, we'll expect to see me.
Speaker 3: So nice little volunteer opportunity. I don't think I get paid at all. I get a free beer at the end of the shift.
Speaker 1: Okay, Well, maybe it'll be worth it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and I know.
Speaker 2: That I'll be there marketing lesbian chronicles with yeah full time. Anytime I'm in public, if I even if I'm not wearing it, I bring it and lay it down somewhere.
Speaker 3: And lay it down somewhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do it at the coffee exactly. It's literally like any chance I get.
Speaker 3: Maybe I need to start doing that here in Peachtree City and I can start recruiting. Yes, that would become funny.
Speaker 2: I think that you need to. And also, let's also take this as an opportunity. We just posted a ad for merch. It's Lesbian Visibility week or month week week week, So people, this is the time. Get the hat, wear the hat, go out in public in the hat, like, this is it. This is the time to take that one step. And when people say, like, and I am this person who's like, I just lived my life as a lesbian and people can see me. But I do think there are critical moments that you could be out in public where a child sees you, where my kid's friends see me living my life, Like it's an opportunity that people can know you're gay and everything's fine and I'm living a healthy, great lifestyle.
Speaker 1: So it's just another example of goodness.
Speaker 3: I think I agree. And you know, our merch has a variety of subtleties to it. Yeah, you know, we have stuff that just says LC with a rainbow. We have hats that flat out say lesbian lesbian chronicles. So it's I totally get, you know, the aspect of being newly out and not feeling like confident enough or like brave enough. I guess really to put on something that says lesbian on it. I mean, I've talked about that on the podcast, of being in Peachtree City and accidentally rolling into Kroger wearing a shirt that says feed me to the lesbians and wanting to like leave.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable mistake. It's an unbelievable mistake.
Speaker 3: But like even today, I went to like Home Depot and TJ Max and I'm walking around there and I saw a few people do like double takes looking at me because I just don't look like the soccer mom that's mostly seen around here. I've gone on the flat built hat and tank top and baggy jeans or baggy pants and in high tops, and I know that, like they're kind of like, whoa wait a second, what is she doing?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Are you lost more common down here?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I would say that, but I wouldn't hear like.
Speaker 2: I think if I'm at my kid's soccer game, I don't look like everybody else. I mean, I'm not too far off. I think the straight moms down here look.
Speaker 3: Gay, Yeah they do. And like, but here everybody wears Lululemon.
Speaker 1: You knowbody wears skinny jeans.
Speaker 3: Yeah, skinny jeans and.
Speaker 1: T shirts T shirt baggy T shirts.
Speaker 3: Were a few years behind. It's twenty twenty two down here. But that's just it. It's like walking around Atlanta. I don't feel like that. I do not get those like second glances, third glances here.
Speaker 1: Do you ever think it's because of our crew? We run with a big group of lesbians, so it's like you are right in the mix of like I guess, a group of gay women.
Speaker 2: Like think about when you're down here? Are you ever with straight people ever?
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm, No, I'm trying. I think really, the only time I hang out with straight people is when I go to Marietta and hang out with my best friend and her husband.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so so everybody is you fit? I mean down here, you look like everyone else exactly.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Although remember those women in Seattle, if you guys are listening, please take credit for this. But you guys had like a thing you developed that was like a whole range of women, that's right, And they were like the total boy lesbian to the total diehard femme lesbian.
Speaker 1: And they probably had what would you say, like ten or twelve iterations.
Speaker 3: Of yeah, they had a chart. Didn't we take a picture of it?
Speaker 1: I wish we' did. I hope we did, because it was like, oh, yeah, I'm her. You know, we're running.
Speaker 2: I do a few little things in the yard. Yeah, but I'm not, like I'm not super masked. Somebody said to me once, They're like, you could dress the way you dress all day, but like your two your face as.
Speaker 1: A girl, like you are a woman.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think that, like I could see that about me, Like I do feel like there's something still kind of soft about me, even if I'm in kind of a more boy outfit.
Speaker 3: I also just saw a video of someone talking about the different ways to wear a hat, and like, oh, how that says how gay you are? Because if you're wearing like kind of like a dad cap, like what you're wearing, and like you have like those brands of hair down, like god, that's a little bit more straight. Or if your hair is like through the back of the hole on the hat, your ponytails through it, you're a little bit more fem.
Speaker 1: I got it. Okay, it's kind.
Speaker 3: Of interesting to an interesting take on the variations of it, because that's just it. It's like I wouldn't have worn this hat, this flat bill when I was straight, but I wore hats all the time.
Speaker 1: Like what have like I did?
Speaker 2: But maybe that's living down here. Yeah, but do you think if like mission for me was I really choose to be somewhere in the middle.
Speaker 1: I want to be where people aren't sure and.
Speaker 2: I'm worried I'm passing over into their sure territory.
Speaker 3: You are a one hundred yeah, because that's just it. When I was like going and looking at pictures of us from like twenty nineteen, I was like, who who were both both of us? I'm like, we look totally totally different.
Speaker 1: Well, if I crossed over into like boy girl territory?
Speaker 3: Yeah what yes?
Speaker 1: Wow?
Speaker 2: Okay, so I was trying to like be kind of in the middle when they're not so sure.
Speaker 3: I think you've crossed over.
Speaker 1: But part of it is my haircut and I had to cut my hair.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that is part of it. In these pictures, your hair is longer, yeah, I hear is the same, and I feel like I've shifted.
Speaker 1: I feel like you've shifted too.
Speaker 3: I mean the topic being Lesbian Visibility Week. It's like, at that time, I felt like I was looking like really gay me too, you know, because it was very different from how I looked when I was straight. And it's really weird to think back on like how much effort that straight look took me to be like steering away from the clothes that I really wanted to buy and being like, Okay, I like this shirt and I should own it, and like bright colors, you know, like buy stuff that's pink, and you know, now most of my closet is black.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mine's black and white.
Speaker 3: I don't think I own a single pink shirt anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't either, So yeah, and.
Speaker 3: It is interesting too, you know, talking about being like visible. I see how it like, I feel more comfortable with myself being seen that way. I don't care that I'm getting double takes, and like you're saying, it's like there's there are kids that are gonna see how I look down here and be like, oh, like a lesbian. You know. One of my kid's friends saw me a few weeks ago, and I swear she was looking at me. Like kind of confused, but also kind of like enthralled. And I don't mean that this sounds like I'm like bragging about it, and it's not that way. It was just like I felt like she saw me. You know, she already knew, like I got your number. Yeah, she already knew that Kaylen has a gay mom. But then she's like looking at me and being like, oh okay, because like a lot of the kids in Kaylen's class will be like, I've never known a lesbian in real life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And do.
Speaker 2: You ever think about that? At are the party I had this past weekend? It was lots of families, lots of kids there are straight and they're gay women, and we were all kind of just mixed into the mix. Yeah, did you I didn't feel like in my neighborhood. And would you say that party was probably three fourths gay or half and half straight gay?
Speaker 3: I want to say it was half and half.
Speaker 2: Okay, So there was probably what would you say, fifty to one hundred people?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it was really cool. Though I was thinking about this later, was how many of us were there with our kids? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Like, didn't you feel like we were just sprinkled in the mix.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it was like, you know, there was other other people there that you know, we don't hang out with on a regular basis, but they were there with their kids, and you know, they're not late in life. They they had a child with their partner or their former partner. And it's really cool to me to see that, you know, this thing that you know, I feel like, wasn't that commonplace or common knowledge twenty five thirty years ago?
Speaker 1: It wasn't that common when we didn't.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, like not to pat us on the back, but do you remember us searching high and low for anyone.
Speaker 3: Like when we're coming out, yes, oh.
Speaker 1: Twenty eighteen, think how much a shit. I couldn't drink shit then I couldn't find shit online. Like now it's it's all over the place, it's everywhere.
Speaker 2: It is absolutely changed drastically in the last eight years.
Speaker 1: You and I were alone.
Speaker 3: I absolutely agree because I I remember being like, what is like the secret code that I have to to like, what is the phrase for this? Even you know, I remember learning about the phrase late in life lesbian and being like, okay, like maybe I need to search that more. But even that, it's like handful of Reddit threads.
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, if you do it now, there's a thousand people on Instagram, it's everywhere.
Speaker 1: We've got a million resources, a million resources.
Speaker 3: And but also too, I feel like we were like right on the cusp. I think of people finally like being okay with it, admitting to be being late in life. True, because there was a lot of people that I encountered that were like, yeah, I actually am late in life that I don't talk about it because the people in this community, if they find out that you're married to a man, they're gonna, you know, not take you as seriously, or they're gonna say that you're bisexual and all those things. Like So it was kind of like, yeah, you can be late in life, but don't come roared in the room declaring that you've got an ext husband.
Speaker 2: It's interesting that you're saying that, because I just had a conversation yesterday with a friend who said that she when she'd been gay forever, but she started to fall for a married woman who the married woman was going to leave her marriage and be with her, and she said her gay community friends all gave her such fucking hell.
Speaker 1: About like you're gonna blow up, you know, what are you doing? She's not gay? Like, why are you dating her? Like?
Speaker 2: Stop wasting time with this woman? And she's like, I remember it was like hard, like listening to my friends basically not want no part of this.
Speaker 1: And who knows what that woman?
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe she is straight, maybe she was just having an experience, but maybe not.
Speaker 1: And so yeah, I think there is a stigma to that.
Speaker 2: I can imagine right now though, now that we're this far on the other side, imagine right now, I met someone who was married to a man, and I started dating her and I'm waiting for her to come out. I want you to tell me right now, what would your advice be to me? You would say, leave that shit alone.
Speaker 3: I would say leave it alone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say leave it alone.
Speaker 3: Until she undoes some stuff.
Speaker 1: I totally agree.
Speaker 3: And that's not from the standpoint of thinking that someone's not gay. No, that's from the standpoint of knowing how messy it can get and how difficult, and also like you don't need to be there on the sidelines in the meantime.
Speaker 1: Waiting around, waiting. Yeah, it's too hard.
Speaker 3: It's hard on both parties. It's hard. You know, we've talked about the standpoint from like our catalysts and having to kind of like sit there through the separation and kind of you know the unknowns like yeah, sure you said you're doing this, but are you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you do have his and lows. That's the reality. Like I think it's very few people that meet a woman. And then I was gay my whole life. I met the catalyst. It was so compelling, but even me was like, what the fuck am I doing? I need to get back in my lane. I've got three babies to take care of. I love my husband, We've built life together.
Speaker 1: That was weird. I don't know what I'm doing here. I am again.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And then I would like I couldn't stay away. It was like you couldn't put it down.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm yeah. And that's I mean. God, I can't remember if I've shared this story or not before, but this was like a few years before any of this came up for me about my sexuality. And I was on a girl's trip and there was this guy at a bar who would like not leave me alone, and I was like, I'm married, like go away, not having it moving, And I kept thinking to myself, like, for one, who does this guy think he is, you know, like, I'm married and I'm not about to up end my life for you random man at the bar. But I remember thinking, I'm like, I'm never gonna do that, Like I've built something so big with him that I'm not leaving no way there, there's no way, Like I've invested in this relationship, and we have two kids. I could not do that to them. So it is really really wild to me to then a few years later have been like, but women and that I gave me never thought about that variable. And you know, throughout that whole process of talking finally talking to him about how I felt, and then separating and dating a woman and making all these things, I kept thinking, you're going to call your own bluff. You got to stop.
Speaker 1: It is been at point any minute now.
Speaker 3: And then it was like all these things kept happening and I couldn't call my own bluff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's so true. It's so true.
Speaker 2: And it kind of leads me to talk about the thing you and I discussed earlier, which is with men. It's like, when I think about over my nineteen twenty year marriage, I think of all the friends that we had, the couple friends, the husband's not one time was there even a slight flirtation with one of my friend's husbands.
Speaker 1: There was no even.
Speaker 2: Avenue to get there, no texting, no sitting at dinner and kind of being silly with him while they're together, Like it never ever, ever, ever happened. And not just because I'm gay, but also because I was so first of all committed to my husband, but second of all, there's a natural buffer there like with men that it's like you're not crossing that line.
Speaker 1: I have an electrician at my house today.
Speaker 2: And he was like, I'm going to give you my number, but he's like, I'm giving you my number so that you can call me to tell me what ends up happening with the chandelier, like text me and let me know. So it's like even he felt the restraint of like this is not appropriate.
Speaker 1: I don't even like a thing.
Speaker 3: And it's like he's a woman business he's.
Speaker 1: A business guy, an electrician. I look gay as fuck. Yeah, It's like he felt.
Speaker 2: It necessary to like make that clear, and I I knew exactly what he.
Speaker 1: Meant, but like, think about with women when you're out, like you're the four of us.
Speaker 2: Are having dinner think how often things go into like I'm talking to my friend's partner and it's we're laughing, we're having a great time, We're like telling inside jokes. My partner's not even paying attention, or like, there's so many more avenues to be duplicitous with women because you're just led to it. I mean it's like you're there's nothing, there's no buffer there saying wait, this is just to check in with me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a lot of like blurred lines.
Speaker 2: There's blurred lines of like and I think you don't realize it's turning into something until it's I mean I've had that happened with me where people up said to me, like.
Speaker 1: I felt something for you and I'm in a relationship.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, and I think I don't know I personally, when I'm friends with a couple, I prefer to be on a group text with both of them the same Like that makes me feel more comfortable. I would think it makes them feel more comfortable and secure. So that's that's the avenue I try to take with those situations you know.
Speaker 2: But think about too, like the after hours, Like I remember one time a woman texted you who is married late and you and I both have the feeling of.
Speaker 3: Like, why are these coming in late at night?
Speaker 2: You'd come in at ten thirty or eleven, like a man would never One of my ex husband's friends wouldn't be texting me at ten thirty to tell me something funny.
Speaker 1: He saw.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and that's just it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it never happened.
Speaker 3: I would have never in a million years happened it straight scenarios, no way. So it is weird, but I think it's it also just kind of speaks to your integrity though too, you know, like don't cross those lines. And even if you feel I want to.
Speaker 1: Tell your partner something funny, I thought of it.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, I think that's just it. As long as you know you're you, I think it's a responsibility for the couple to be like, you know, having those conversations.
Speaker 1: Alie just texted me, it's eleven o'clock.
Speaker 3: It's eleven.
Speaker 2: But I think it's like those little things that are so easily excused with women, it would never happen with men. And there's a thousand of those things going walking going you know, maybe for like I just like there's they're everywhere.
Speaker 1: It happens all the time.
Speaker 3: In the same vein though. It's like, if you do want to get to know a friend better and ask them to go grab coffee or something like that, it's like, does that hit another person? Think that automatically?
Speaker 2: I would think it automatically if you ask me to coffee too.
Speaker 1: I mean, I hate to say this because I'm gonna catch such hell.
Speaker 2: But if we're not already friends, and you're a lesbian who's like in my wheelhouse, and you say, Allie, I want to get to know you about her, let's meet for coffee, in the back of my mind, I'm thinking she's hoping something develops.
Speaker 1: At this coffee.
Speaker 3: No, no, see, but I don't need any new friends. But like, I don't know. I don't know that I don't need new friends, but I like to expand my network, and sometimes it takes investing a little bit of time into going to grab coffee or something. Yeah, but I don't I'm just because I'm asking someone to get coffee or go grab a drink.
Speaker 1: Coffee, let's go grab a drink feels like you're looking for a little That does to me. But I have a very low threshold for cheating.
Speaker 3: I mean, gosh, I'm like, I've done this a lot over the years. It's been a while just because I've been so busy lately, but I've I used to do that a lot.
Speaker 2: And I like, let's say you had a partner that lives here in Atlanta. Okay, you had a partner that lives here in Atlanta and she's a on a Saturday night, would you go have drinks with.
Speaker 1: A new lesbian friend on a Saturday night?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Sitting at home?
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. What's the difference then, because I'm why wouldn't you Why, Well, if my partner is here.
Speaker 1: And not, yeah, then she just come with me.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's like okay, so it wouldn't be like you're having this one off. Then that's a totally different scenario.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Because I think that's the other thing too, is like sometimes you meet someone as a couple, you know, and so in my eyes, it's like you both are at the same start line with that friendship. So like it's it's your friend together, you know, if you meet within the relationship, right, It's it's like, you know, when you're getting a divorce and you're going through your assets, you know, if you if you brought the friend into the marriage. You get to keep it when you leave the marriage.
Speaker 1: Okay, but we're.
Speaker 2: We're not talking about we're talking about new friends. You met new friend, Yeah, you met a lesbian CNN.
Speaker 3: I would try to loop in my partner if I had a partner.
Speaker 1: Okay, Now, what if your partner isn't here?
Speaker 2: Would you still go have drinks with the new lesbian friend from CNN if you're in a relationship.
Speaker 1: Like if my ex husband.
Speaker 2: Told me he was meeting a woman that he met at work, I'm losing my fucking mind.
Speaker 3: I kind of did that before when I met up with Amy, our friend Amy lives here and wanted to you know, was newly out and kind of needed some advice, and I was in a relationship, and I told the person that I was with that that's what I was going to do. I think, in my eyes, it's like so far from my brain that anything like that is even like on the table. And maybe that's my fault. Maybe I need to think more about how my partner would feel in that instance. But it's so out of my wheelhouse that I'm crossing any any line whatsoever.
Speaker 2: I guess if they're meeting you because they think you're like an expert on coming out later. Yea, you just did it. That's kind of one thing. But like, think about if you're a husband. Okay, this is the point I'm making.
Speaker 1: You're married to Tom, and Tom says.
Speaker 2: To you, Hey, on flight, and I met this really cool flight attendant.
Speaker 1: She's as out we're gonna meet.
Speaker 2: Do you care, Like, I kind of just want to get to know her better because she's really cool and we have flying in common.
Speaker 1: We have flying in common. So do you care if I meet her for coffee or drinks? You don't care?
Speaker 3: I'd be like not without me there?
Speaker 1: Well, what's the difference.
Speaker 2: But I'm saying, like, then what we're talking about, that's just just I mean, you're right for a woman.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's no difference. But why that's the point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, to me, that's cheap micro cheating, micro cheating because I would be so uncomfortable. But that kind of scenario actually does happen sometimes where yeah, and then.
Speaker 1: They end up sleeping around.
Speaker 2: You told me that it's like a really high level of infidelity.
Speaker 3: There is within the AVA community. But like that's just it. Sometimes like they'll all be like a part of a crew and be like, let's go where we're gonna go grab drinks downstairs, So meet down there at six point thirty and then next thing you know, it's only two of them that come down, and the rest of the crew has been like, I'm actually too tired. I'm just gonna go to bed.
Speaker 2: I guess I just think that, like it's a double standard in our community because we're all women, so it just feels harmless. But the truth is, if you replace woman with man, it's not harmless anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's very true because like now I'm thinking about that scenario that I just gave of, like, well, I'm giving advice on coming out or you know, how to move forward, And yeah, that would feel weird if it was like I went to go if I was straight and I went to go meet with another with a man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So, and I think it's usually like it is harmless, And I think maybe this is how do you how do you bulletproof your relationship because it's like somebody said to me once that there's always going to be somebody more interesting than me, Like there's always going to be somebody prettier than me.
Speaker 1: There's always going to be It's like you can choose to.
Speaker 2: Marry someone and your whole life, you're still going to be surrounded by people that you know, maybe get your attention or compelling for you in some way. This is normal, And it's like, how do you then still say, though, that I love this person and I'm not getting squirrel like with every like new shiny thing that walks across the path.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I honestly don't. Like I hope that, you know, with a relationship, if I choose to get married or whatever, that I'm choosing that person forever. And I know that, and like, I'm sure I might meet other compelling people, but I'm also not going to let it, let it get that deep, because I think that's the other part of it is for me personally, I'm only going to find someone compelling if I truly know them. Yeah, it's one thing to say that someone's attractive. It's a whole other thing to know them on like an emotional deep level and like who they are as a human at their core, And that's the person that you're falling in love with, you know, And that doesn't happen overnight.
Speaker 1: No, it doesn't happen overnight.
Speaker 2: And I think the other way people end up vulnerable is because your relationship is going to have highs and lows. So it's like if you're with somebody five seven years, there are moments, snapshots, weeks, months, maybe a year where things don't feel amazing. And so now you're making that new friend you want to make who you think you know, you have stuff in common, and you're going to go have coffee with and before you know it, you're like, why am I in this relationship? And then it's just a slippery slope of this is easier, this is better for me.
Speaker 1: I'm not happy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, life is too short all the things, and it's just like I don't know how you I mean you can't obviously we're all going to have friends.
Speaker 1: I don't know how you safeguard your relationship.
Speaker 3: And I mean, you're right, it's like over time you are going to have like bumps in the road, you know. Yeah, people are gonna encounter hard times. They're gonna have times where they're anxious. They're gonna have times for they're avoidant and they don't want to talk at all, you know, and that could go on for who knows how long? Right, Like, do you write it out or do you look for that other compelling person and move on, right?
Speaker 2: And I think, like I think about my father, who has said he my mom had an alcohol problem. The vast majority of people I know today would have left. In fact, I don't have one friend that would have stayed in that marriage. I can't think of one. They would have said, this is too much, too hard. My dad stayed, and my dad will tell you it is the single best decision he ever made. The first one was marrying my mom, the second one was staying with my mom, and the third one was probably having us. Of course, Like so, I think about him, and I think about how he would say, you bail and then you just start over and you got somebody with a new problem. I loved her, I picked her, and I stayed through the thing that now we wouldn't stay. We would be like, this person's a disaster, I'm out of here.
Speaker 3: Well, And I think you know that that those kind of scenarios are kind of subjective, because sometimes it could be something where someone's you know, not on the path to recovery, or it's becoming abusive or something like that. You know, so you do have to bail or in our situations. We did have to bail on the marriage because it fundamentally was not working anymore. So, but I do think there is something to be said about, you know, sticking through with when things get hard and ignoring those like the voices that enter the room and the new people that come into your life and being like, you know what, those people don't matter that we're in this and we're sticking to that, and really being transparent when those like one on one situations are coming around.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think Also I have this friend of both of ours who she would ride bikes.
Speaker 2: With this other friend of ours, Like they rode bikes together, and she said it became a thing where like the person she was riding bikes with would make comments about her partner and like little things like little just kind of digs, and.
Speaker 1: She's like, I started to feel like I don't even want to talk to you about my partner because you already sort of say.
Speaker 2: Things that are unkind or maybe like just I don't know, like little tiny micro aggressions that I think that's another thing is like sometimes you're in a relationship and maybe the outside world has opinions about this person who you love, and I think it's so easy for people on the outside to look in and be like, oh, why.
Speaker 1: Is she with her? She sucks or whatever the thing is. And if you're not in it with that person, you really don't get you're not in it. You don't really know.
Speaker 2: You're seeing a snapshot maybe an hour a month. Yeah, And so I just sometimes often think too, in this community, everybody has an opinion about everybody's relationship.
Speaker 1: And it's just like it's so exhausting. It's like, dude, stay in your lane. You have no idea what you're talking.
Speaker 3: About, right, stay exactly.
Speaker 1: You have no idea what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: Your take on being around a couple for you know, an hour, It doesn't mean that you know everything exactly. I think the other thing too is if you are in a relationship, to consider, you know, how do you talk about your partner when they're.
Speaker 1: Not in the room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And if you are taking the opportunity to just rip them to pieces when they're not around, it's a massive it's a huge betrayal. And it also needs to be something that you reflect on on your own and think about whether or not you're should be in that relationship.
Speaker 1: You know, so true yeah.
Speaker 2: And it really makes you look stupid because that's the person you picked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it's just if that's how you feel.
Speaker 3: Move on, yeah exactly.
Speaker 1: This is probably a good place to wrap I think.
Speaker 2: So all right, well it's about the time people hear this. It's going to be too late. But the patio takeover is going to be the last Saturday of the month and it's an Urban Pie in Kirkwood Village. It starts at seven pm. There's also going to be I don't know if you know this, but a crew of like women sports fans that are going to also be there at the same time. So it's going to be a big turnout Urban Pie last Saturday.
Speaker 1: Of the month.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And if you guys want to learn more about Urban Pie, their episode of Bar Rescue is out now that I actually was able to watch a bunch of clips on about from the show on TikTok, so it's really cool and you get to see the owner, Lisa and just how passionate she is about running that business. And it's a great spot in Atlanta if anyone's ever visiting Urban Pie and Kirkwood just a good place to chill out and eat some pizza. And meet some gay women.
Speaker 1: Definitely gay women, and get your merch. Go to our.
Speaker 2: Website www dot Lesbian Chronicles podcast dot com order a hat and if you order a hat and take a picture of yourself and tag tag us, we will post it.
Speaker 1: We would love to.
Speaker 2: See everybody representing in Lesbian Visibility Week.
Speaker 1: All right, thank you, my friend.
Speaker 3: All right byebie. I want to support the Lesbian Chronicles podcast. Rate us and write a review on Apple podcast or Spotify.
Speaker 1: We'd love listener feedback.
Speaker 2: If you'd like to share your story, email us at Melissa and Ali at gmail dot com. That's Melissa M. E. L I s A and Ali A. L. L I at gmail dot com. Or follow us on Instagram at Lesbian Chronicles