Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: There is a threat to the state Capitol right now. Lawmakers and staff members who evacuated from the Capitol building in Sacramento this morning after a threat was made. According to a message, Senate staff are sent to one of the TV stations there in Sacramento, and I was just watching their coverage of it. They still don't know much about what's going on. According to a message that was sent to staff in the state Senate, law enforcement was working to determine if the threat was credible. So everybody that works there in the Senate side, especially because I guess the Assembly was not in session and they didn't have very many workers there. Legislative staff have been asked to leave the capitol. Basically, hey, it's a free Friday for you to go home and work from home. Gavin Newsom is not in Sacramento today, so he wasn't at the capitol.
Speaker 3: Obviously, he's here in southern California.
Speaker 2: Most of the state lawmakers are currently in their districts, so it was otherwise a relatively quiet day that is until this threat apparently came in. So the Capitol building up in Sacramento is being evacuated right now. There was an anthrax threat back in May. You'd mentioned that there had been no previous threats. There was one back in May, and the easiest way, obviously for them to go through and make sure that nothing is untoward is to get everybody out of the building and go through and search it.
Speaker 1: You know what's great about that video, the way you make me feel as it starts with that thriller vibe, like lowly lit alley nighttime. Is he a good guy? Or is he a bad guy? And then it quickly becomes this like love song.
Speaker 2: A man with a sash is almost never a bad guy?
Speaker 1: But pirates? What kind of pirates? But comma pirates? Question mark?
Speaker 3: All right, bottom of the hour.
Speaker 2: By the way, we're going to be talking about this guy that jumped out of a van up in Delano.
Speaker 3: He's still gone, right, Caesar, Caesar. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then later the La Times says it's going to start publishing a bias meter on all.
Speaker 3: Of its articles. It's an interesting way to do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but how do you trust who was running the bias.
Speaker 3: Meter who watches the watchers.
Speaker 1: I was watching or I was reading through Bill Clinton interview this morning, and he said nobody timely. Well, he was talking about the state of the Democratic Party and what he thinks, and he doesn't like the Biden part in either. He said, you know, I wish that he just didn't deny that he was going to do it repeatedly. He should have just shut up about it and then just done it, you know. But I guess that was up to Corne Jean Pierre to answer that question every freaking day. You know, what else is she going to say? Stay tuned. But he talked about how nobody trusts anyone anymore. Democrats, Republicans can't trust anyone because it lied to us so much and so recently. All Right, So authorities up in Butte County now do say they know I know the identity of the shooter who staged the attack on that small, tiny Christian elementary school that left two children wounded, ended with the shooter dead.
Speaker 2: Fifty six year old guy named Glenn Lytton, homeless, mentally ill, long criminal record in the Bay Area, and apparently targeted the school because of its affiliation with the Seventh Day Adventist Church, and like you said, died after he shot himself after he shot the kids. But they said they found a statement by this guy saying that child executions were imposed at that school in response to America's involvements in genocide and oppression of Palestinians and attacks in Yemen.
Speaker 1: The two injured kindergarteners five year old Elias who shot once was shot once in the abdomen, and six year old Roman, who sustained two gun shots resulting in internal injuries. Both boys are in critical condition and the.
Speaker 2: Sheriff said that they both have very long roads to recovery. It's very likely they're going to have multiple surgeries going forward. And the fact that they're currently still with us, it's pretty much a miracle. I mean, they have the fact that their children, their tiny bodies, probably works in their favor, I mean just in terms of the ability of a kid's body to respond, to grow, to continue to get better. But man, just to terrifying. They said that one Elias, the five year old, the bullet went through his chest and his abdomen, and it pierced or nicked multiple organs before it exited. He simply had to go to surgery if nothing else, just to stop the bleeding. And they said that he's on a pediatric intensive care unit obviously awaiting additional surgery. So they've started to go fundmes to help cover his medical expenses. Again, this is a tiny, tiny school, and we mentioned this yesterday.
Speaker 3: There were thirty five forty kids there. That's it.
Speaker 1: Where's that guy getting this weird mind infiltration that it was a child? Executions were imposed at the school, like where's he coming up with that? Does he read something? And then he goes through the twisted pathways of his broken brain and comes out with that kind of order.
Speaker 2: Yes, all of that, Yeah, ad sprinkle on top of that some probably significant drug use and frying all of the synapses that we're putting together, and loses all logic at that point.
Speaker 1: Hannah Kobyashi's family is so thirsty? Is this the thirstiest family that ever lived? Wanting all this attention? Apparently they're tearing themselves apart over who should get the limelight and what to do with the money they fundraised for their non missing family member. Gary and Shannon will continue, Amy King.
Speaker 2: I want to point out this is also Friday, right, which means we do what you learned this week on The Gary and Shannon Show. Yes, you can leave us a talkback message when you're listening on the app. Hit that little microphone and it leaves us a message. Don't leave us the questions that you'd like to ask handle. Just leave us the what you learned this week on the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: Just like that. Hey Gary, Hey Shannon, I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: I'm four years old.
Speaker 2: That butt pirate comment made made me laugh pretty hard because I'm I'm a little bit of a butt pirate myself. After that booty, can I get the show me the booty?
Speaker 4: Look at that booty.
Speaker 3: Yet, show me the boot I will the booty?
Speaker 4: Back up the booty? I need the booty. I like.
Speaker 3: The point was the comment was butt comma pirate?
Speaker 1: Right? Is a butt pirate?
Speaker 3: Though we don't talk, we don't say that, we don't say that.
Speaker 1: He said he brought it back up. I'm just asking a follow up, Tama, I'm asking pirate. Follow up? Is a butt pirate somebody who likes the booty? Or and what kind of booty are we talking about? Are we talking about?
Speaker 4: Show me the booty?
Speaker 5: Give me.
Speaker 1: It could be a treasure. That's what yes, okay? Is that why where pirates go? Is that why bots are called booty? Because it's it's like a I don't know. I'm just trying to figure it out.
Speaker 3: Such a wise woman in so many ways, but also not Roberts from Sydney, Australia. I love listening to your station, two of you that I listened to in the morning. Here, I'm fantastic to listen to Thanks, Australia's number one morning show.
Speaker 1: That's awesome.
Speaker 5: Hey, good morning, Garyan Shannon. This is Mike from the High Desert. Hey, I just wanted to wish my wife a happy birthday. Today is her birthday and she is the most important thing to me in this world.
Speaker 3: Get it?
Speaker 5: So maybe my KFI family could wish her a happy birthday too.
Speaker 4: Her name is Yvonne. I love you, honey.
Speaker 1: Oh, I love you too, Yvonne. Happy Britt. Don't tell another man's wife you love her on her.
Speaker 3: I love her that she makes him feel that.
Speaker 1: That's true. That's good. That's a good clarification. Do you want to sing to Yvonne? Sure?
Speaker 4: Dad, Booty showed me the booty, Give me the booty.
Speaker 3: I want the booty.
Speaker 4: Back up the booty. I need the booty.
Speaker 1: I like the booty.
Speaker 4: Oh the booty.
Speaker 1: All right enough, okay, So the girl that, allegedly, first of all, is not a girl. She's thirty. Second of all, allegedly went missing from Hawaii on her way to New York, stopped in LA, didn't make her connecting flight. Hannah Kobyashi is her name. The family starts screaming from the rooftops that that she is missing and we need to help to find her, despite the fact that she's seen just living her life on surveillance video around to La. Her her dad comes out here jumps off a roof near Lax to his death. That was odd as well. They were able to fifty thousand dollars in go fundme money. The family was the laped this week. Came out and said, listen, we've got surveillance footage of her a living her life and be crossing into Mexico willingly on her own luggage in tow. So we think she's just voluntarily missing. She just chose to go missing from y'all. Well, now the family is trying to figure out and they're fighting about it, how to spend all that money they raised.
Speaker 2: There are a couple of GoFundMe pages. About fifty thousand dollars have been raised in two separate pages. One of them was to help look for Hannah, the other was to help the family after dad committed suicide. Go fund Me says neither one of those pages violates any sort of term of service or anything like that, so they don't have a problem with it. But one of the ants, Lorie Pigeon, says there's some major tension over what happens next with that money, especially the part where there was money raised to help find her and she don't want to be found, at least according to the LAPD.
Speaker 1: Isn't that wild that you can raise that kind of cash for somebody who's not even missing and then just get to spend it on whatever you want. Is it the media's fault that we gave this story so much attention when it wasn't really a missing person. I mean, it's just kind of curious as to why a family would do this, and maybe we're looking right at it. Maybe it's for money.
Speaker 2: Well, you go back to the genesis of why we would do a story in the first place. One of the first impression was she may have been in danger like this may been somebody who was at risk.
Speaker 1: There's missing people all the time in Los Angeles, and it doesn't catch on, it doesn't rise to that level.
Speaker 2: But then it became the story of a woman who appears to have wanted to get away from her family, and her family just keeps getting closer to her.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I like that you have learned so much from the Denise Huskins rule that you are still leaving it that option open. Well listen, that she could have been nefariously directed absconded with.
Speaker 2: Yes, there is this that was a massive, massive issue, a big rule. And when we came full circle and actually spoke to Denise Huskins about her ordeal and what she went through and how very few people believed it in the beginning, and we were among them that I mean, that's a change deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but this one, this one, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: This one, you're sure, all right?
Speaker 2: When we come back, more more information about this guy who's still on the road on looking for an escape murderer from La County who jumped out of a transport van. Also, we are still following that story. Lawmakers up in Sacramento and staff members in the Capitol Building have been ordered to evacuate because of an unknown threat or an unspecified threat, law enforcement CHP, etc. They are going through the Capitol Building to make sure that this thing is not credible or that it is just a threat.
Speaker 3: Do just that.
Speaker 2: There was a suspicious package that was delivered back in May, if you remember, to the ninth floor the annex swing space had to be evacuated in the Capitol because there was a threat that it had contained anthrax. Other recent instances when the Capitol had to be evacuated because the threats like this, none of them obviously materialized. But as of right now, they are evacuating the California State Capitol because of whatever's been going on and whatever the threat is. A judge has told a jury to keep deliberating.
Speaker 3: They said they couldn't reach a decision.
Speaker 2: In the Tree trial of Daniel Penny, the former marine who faces second degree manslaughter charges criminal criminally negligent homicide in the death of.
Speaker 1: A homeless guys, they're not going to His defense argued that he this homeless guy was threatening.
Speaker 3: To hurt people.
Speaker 1: Prosecutors say, well, this guy went too far with his choke hold grip. If his intention was to avoid this homeless guy hurting people on the subway. How do you convict?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know, and I'm surprised that they've even gone.
Speaker 1: That they brought the case exactly.
Speaker 2: Also, a federal appeals court has upheld a law that would force TikTok's Chinese parent company to divest or face a ban in the United States as of right now. Congress did approve a foreign assistance package back in April that includes a provision that gives TikTok nine months to sever ties with byte Dance or lose access to app stores and web hosting services here in the United States.
Speaker 1: The manhunt continues in New York or to find the person who's shot and killed United Healthcare CEO Brian Thompson outside that hotel on Wednesday morning. They're going through a lot of surveillance video that shows him his moves throughout the city before and after. The reporters he arrived on a bus from Atlanta ten days before the murder. There is surveillance photo showing nearly his whole face that surfaced yesterday while smiling. Police are hoping that'll be enough for someone to be able to identify this guy.
Speaker 4: Hey, good morning, Gary and Shannon. This is Jill.
Speaker 6: You know what, Shennon, You're right, the booty is the treasure. Both of you guys are intelligent. Love you guys a show. Have ay wonderful day.
Speaker 4: Thank you too.
Speaker 1: This week on the Gary and Shennon Show.
Speaker 4: You're right, the booty is the treasure.
Speaker 1: I was just trying to get through the etymology there. Why did the buttocks start being called the booty? I think it's fun to learn about history, isn't it.
Speaker 4: His booty is a treasure.
Speaker 3: I found my new tattoo.
Speaker 1: All right, So we do have an escaped murderer running around. They are going to look for Sezar Hernandez thirty four. He was the guy who jumped out of that prison transport van in Kern County on Tuesday.
Speaker 3: I believe it was Monday when he escaped.
Speaker 2: But the Department of Corrections CHP other local law enforcement have been looking in the Delano area since he made his escape. But then yesterday they said that the people in that area no longer facing a security risk because they believe that he already took off, He already got out of town.
Speaker 1: Maybe here he was convicted of first degree murder in La County in twenty nineteen, sentenced to eighty years to life in prison with the possibility of parole.
Speaker 2: Not a good guy anyway, I mean eighty years because he had special circumstances, a second strikes, second strike as well. So since his escape, prison officials have been pretty quiet about the search. They did say in a news release yesterday to authorities have to strike a careful balance between providing important safety information to the public while remaining while maintaining confidentiality of sensitive investigative detail. They don't want this guy to know how close they are to him, So they're not going to say, hey, if you're in Delano, keep an eye out for him, because we believe he's still there.
Speaker 1: Necessarily, Why don't we have any information about what he did? I mean, I just tracked some of it down. He was at one time Kerrent County's most wanted He had a girlfriend, apparently who tended bar in Lynnwood here in La County. They spend a lot of time there. One night, after he argued with her, he chased down a pickup that left the bar's parking lot, forced the truck to pull over a block away, Then he shot the driver in the head, so that was his murder. His girlfriend, she named only as Gabby and court filings, had stopped working at the bar when she and Caesar showed up about ten pm. This was June twenty eighteen. She wanted her job back. The owner agreed to rehire her. They stayed there the rest in the night, and then it happens when you stay there the rest of the nights at a bar, they get into a heated argument, and footage shows her leaving about one twenty five. He followed her, and that's what happened.
Speaker 2: How long would it take for you to stay in a bar to get into a heated argument with your man?
Speaker 1: Twenty twenty five minutes?
Speaker 2: No, what would you argue with him about? He wouldn't argue with you. No, I know it was a joke.
Speaker 3: He would get up and walk away.
Speaker 1: It was a joke. He'd be smart, he would get up and walk away.
Speaker 3: I think he would.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, Bill, booty is the treasure.
Speaker 1: How long would it take you to get into a heated argument with your wife?
Speaker 3: I would fall asleep before that happened.
Speaker 1: That's true, you would.
Speaker 3: I don't get angry when I when I am.
Speaker 1: No, you get quiet.
Speaker 3: I can get quiet happy generally happy.
Speaker 1: You're not a big get drunk gy not generally I have like maybe a couple nights I can refer back to when I saw your behavior. Okay, not many.
Speaker 3: Maybe that's good.
Speaker 1: It's great. Are you kidding? It's wonderful to have that kind of self control. Did you hear about Wisdom?
Speaker 3: I've heard of it.
Speaker 1: The world's oldest known wild bird is named Wisdom. That I didn't know, And Wisdom is going to be a new mother.
Speaker 3: How do they know if it's a wild bird?
Speaker 4: How old?
Speaker 3: How do they know it's the old?
Speaker 1: Go on, don't be skeptical. Sorry, I'm just you can tell by counting its rings. You could chop it in half and count the rings. According to the US Fish and Wildlife Service, a seventy four year old laysan albatross named Wisdom has laid an egg. It happened November twenty seventh in the Pacific Ocean. Researchers say they expect the egg to hatch in around two months, making Wisdom a mother for about the thirtieth time. She hatched her last chick in twenty twenty one. The bird has outlived Chandler Robbins, the scientist that banded her back in nineteen fifty six. That is a big researchers estimate. Wisdom has flown around three point seven million miles throughout her life. Frequent flyer Miles, who's hooking up with a seventy four year old bird?
Speaker 4: Like?
Speaker 2: What that reeks of desperation, doesn't it? Why that's an old bird? Maybe it's a seventy three year old bird? Hook on hod a bird's age?
Speaker 1: Maybe they ate?
Speaker 3: How do they age?
Speaker 2: I'm curious as like dogs, you know, like what would be the regular life span.
Speaker 1: Of what is a seventy four year old bird compared to a human? How old is a bird in human year?
Speaker 3: Seventy four is the new forty four?
Speaker 1: Well, I know that for humans.
Speaker 2: Unfortunately, today is Friday, so we're going to we're going to do what you learned this week on the Gary and Shannon Show.
Speaker 3: Leave us a talkback message.
Speaker 2: Of course, when you're on the app, all you have to do is hit that little microphone button and it'll record a message that comes into the comes into the old computer. Here, a guy who jumped onto a polar bear to protect his wife is recovering from serious injuries.
Speaker 1: You'd do that.
Speaker 2: The nishnabi Oski Police Service officers responded to a home in a residential area near in Ontario after reports of gunfire, and they discovered a dead polar bear. But before they got there, LISTA received reports of a possible bear sighting in the same area. Apparently this couple was out there shovel and snow and the old polar bear came up, don't you know, And he had to climb on the polar bear's back to prevent it from killing his wife. Wow, he suffered serious injuries as a result.
Speaker 1: Whenever I bring up a possibility of a bear attack, my husband says, I just have to run faster than you.
Speaker 2: Does he say it seriously or does he say a smile on his face? No, very serious. It's his plan.
Speaker 3: You could put that in the divorced documents if you like.
Speaker 2: The La Times editor doctor Patrick soun Shong says that his team is working on a technology driven bias meter to add to articles on the website as soon as next year. The idea, the way he's talking about it is it's going to be something like a module that would present multiple viewpoints under particular news item as well as some version of comments to be integrated into it. He says, imagine, imagine if you now take whether it be news or opinion, and you have a bias meter, whether news or opinion, more like the opinion or the voices, you have a bias meter. So somebody could understand as a reader that the source of the article has some level of bias.
Speaker 1: So when you say tech driven, does that mean it's going to be AI driven? AI will read an article and tell you the way it leans.
Speaker 3: Sounds like it.
Speaker 2: This idea of a bias meter has been bouncing around as a product idea for some time. In twenty eighteen, a company called NewsGuard provides a browser extension that would give you a full nutrition label kind of a funny way to put it, but of a news website and its political leanings and who owns it and things like that. Chris Evans, Yes, Captain America started a website a few years ago called a starting Point that offers explainers on news topics. For example, here's three opinions from Democrats on this, and here's three opinions from Republicans on this type format. He there was a startup not his but there was a startup called The Messenger that it inked to deal with the artificial intelligence company Seeker to somehow help root out bias in the reporting, if you remember, a lot of this started when the La Times, and specifically Sun Shong spiked the Kamala Harris announcement our endorsement sorry, saying that he believed that the La Times opinion section had been an echo chamber and not a trusted source. And he said, when my next level of people on the editorial board shared with me that they had prepackaged and endorsement without having met with any of the candidates, I was a little bit outraged and felt that whatever they were about to say should be really based on facts. So one of the La Times editorial board members, Karen Klein, resigned after that endorsement was scrapped. She said she sees this move to make this the late call. Said if the editor or the owner Soon Seng had decided early last spring that he no longer wanted to endorse on presidential races, then that would have been a fair, neutral, legitimate decision. But it was an odd decision not to weigh in on the most crucial election in my lifetime, but it was his call, and she said that she was upset that he made the decision.
Speaker 3: In the eleventh hour.
Speaker 2: While the candidates are in place, the polls are tight, and almost anything can throw the race one way or the other. So there is another website I've used it before called all sides dot com. All allsides dot com, and they will, depending on whatever issue happens to be, they'll put together three or four articles on that topic and then give you their version or their judgment as to the bias in the article. Is it far left, is it somewhat right, is it down the center? And they kind of grade it so you can look at these different articles at the same topic and judge.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: I feel like it's fairly easy to find out, you know, or just read through something and realize where it's landing.
Speaker 3: But I don't think.
Speaker 1: But maybe it's because we read this stuff.
Speaker 2: Say, you read it a lot, and I think people who are who don't know to look for it, Yeah, they wouldn't recognize.
Speaker 3: It right away.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I always tried to read a couple versions of whatever it is we're doing, you know, go to the places where I know that are right, go to the places that are left, go to the places where sometimes it's right, sometimes it's left.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they surprise you.
Speaker 1: Yes, my computer has decided to restart. Well, it gave you the warning it did like two days ago.
Speaker 2: It said, hey, your company wants you to restart to computer, and you kept putting it off.
Speaker 1: We have a final push for our pastathon, y'all. As of eight o'clock this morning, you have raised one million, sixty two, two hundred eighty four dollars.
Speaker 3: Wow, and it makes no sense.
Speaker 1: Eighty seven thousand pounds of pasta and sauce, sig die. We are in the final push now, guys. The course Chef Bruno's charity, Katerinas Club, it provides more than twenty five thousand meals every week to kids in need in southern California, and it's you, guys that make it happen. These are kids that we're going to bed hungry, not being able to get up and learn because they didn't know where they'd be spending that night, they didn't know when their next meal was gonna come. And because of your generosity, which makes up of like fifty percent of what Bruno's able to do every year, these kids have a shot unbelievable. You have until Sunday night to donate. You could go to KFIAM six forty dot com slash pasathon. You could shop at any Smart and Final store. Donate any amount at checkout through Sunday night.
Speaker 2: Pull up your pants, take off the pond, be a man.
Speaker 1: You could also go to any Wendy's Rest in southern California. Donate five dollars or more, get a coupon book through Sunday night. One percent of your donation goes to Katina's Club LFG, Holy Macro. It's a multimedia explosion of frontation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, kids used to come up and reach in the pool and rub my leg down.
Speaker 3: What the hell are we talking about?
Speaker 1: How much younger does he sound? I know that's insane.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio lap