Speaker 1: Hello everybody, and welcome to a brand new episode of Second Take Cinema, coming at you from the Glorious Simplor Film's headquarters in sunny Southend on Sea. I'm your host, Jamie Evans, joined as always by Rory Jocelyn. Hello everybody, and today we are going back to the early days of the MCU as we give a second take to two thousand and eight The Incredible Hulk. The Incredible Hulk is a two thousand and eight superhero movie based on the Marvel Comics character. It is directed by Louis Leterrier from a screenplay by Zach Penn, starring Edward Norton, Livetyler, Tim Roth, William Hurt, Tim Blake Nelson, and Ty Burrell. It was made for a budget of one hundred and fifty million dollars a gross two hundred and sixty four point seven million at the box office. This is only the second movie in the MCU, following Iron Man and If I just look at its reception quickly on Rotten Tomatoes, it has an average rating of sixty eight percent. The critics consensus reads, The Incredible Hulk may not be quite the smashing success that fans of Marvel's raging behemouth might hope for, but it offers more than enough big green action to make up for its occasionally puny narrative. Ha ha ha, aren't they so funny? Todd McCarthy. Todd McCarthy of Variety said what seemed in theory the least necessary revival of a big screen superhero emerges as a perfectly solid summer action fair In The Incredible Hulk, He emphasized, it's all par for the course. Cinematic demolition and destruction, staged efficiently and with a hint of enthusiasm, and penned with sporadic wit. Visuals lean towards the dark and murky, but editing by three actually six hands is fleet, and Craig Armstrong's ever present score is simultaneously bombastic and helpfully supportive of the action. Effects are in line with the picks generally pro but not inspired achievements. Renee Rodriguez of The Mihami Herald applauded the film. It does a lot of things Anglee's Hulk didn't. It's lighter and faster paced, it's funnier, and it embraces instead of ignoring the nineteen seventies TV series that feathered the characters that furthered the character's popularity. Mark Rana of The Seattle Times wrote, the relaunch of Marvel's Green Goliath is an improvement over Director Angle's ponderous two thousand and three Hulk in nearly every way, except that the actual Hulk still looks scarcely better than something from a video game, and he still barely talks. Roger Ebertt was not a fan of the film, stating the Incredible Hulk is no doubt an ideal version of the Hulk saga for those who found Anglee's Hulk two Talkie or Dear I Say too thoughtful, but not for me. It sidesteps the intriguing aspects of hulkdom and spends way too much time in dear I Say, noisy and mindless action sequences. Christy Lemmeray of The Associated Press found that the inevitable comparisons to Iron Man Marvel's Judios's first blockbuster this Summer serve as a glaring reminder of what this Hulk lacks wit and heart. Despite the presence of Edward Norton, an actor capable of going just as deep as Robert Downey Jr. We don't feel a strong sense of Bruce Banners inner conflict. Ao Scott of The New York Times opined the Adequate Hulk would have been a more suitable type.
Speaker 2: That's a good pun, but it does not match the film. There are some films not adequate.
Speaker 1: There are some big thumping fights and a few bright shards of pop culture wit, but for the most part, this movie seems content to aim for the generic mean. David Anson of Newsweek wrote, Leterrier has style, he's good with action, and he's eager to give the audience its money's worth of bone crunching battles. Still, once the movie leaves the atmospheric Brazilian setting, nothing in this Hulk sinks in deeply. Its familiar genre pleasures are all on the surface. The movie scene stealer is Tim Blake Nelson making a comically welcomeferred act appearance as the unethical but madly enthusias aastic scientist Samuel Sterns so I added The Incredible Hulk to our list because a we're just going through the early Marvel films anyway to see how they differed from the modern MCU fair, but ask.
Speaker 2: A quick question before you go on. Yeah, well, the fuck is Ang Lee's Hulk.
Speaker 1: That's the Eric Banner one from two thousand and three. Same, it came up between the two Spider Man movies. If you've never seen it, it's terrible.
Speaker 2: I mean this is terrible.
Speaker 1: Well it makes this look like gold. It's fucking awful. Really, Yeah, so you think the CGI is bad in this one? The Hulk looks like the Scorpion King in the first one, and is a bit where he fights mutated rotweilers that also looked like the Scorpion King. And the main villain is Nick Nolte. Oh that's not villain Joyce, who fully is in the phase of doesn't care about acting anymore. At that point. He plays the absorbing Man, who can absorb anything he told so like. At one point he becomes an electric dude because he absorbs and basically, if I remember right, he tries to absorb the Hulk but can't handle the Rage Man and it makes him explode.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, there is somehow a Hulk movie that's worse than this.
Speaker 1: Yes, this isn't this is the improvement.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, yeah, I will try and be kinder. I do have just quickly.
Speaker 1: The other reason I wanted to put this one in is As I said, this is only the second MCU moving.
Speaker 2: I thought this came before Iron Man because Iron Man is so much better than this.
Speaker 1: Basically, they came out the same summer, so they were both made at the same time.
Speaker 2: They got it right with.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. I wonder reason I want to talk about this one is and I'm only talking up to Endgame at this point because I'm not super familiar with the later MCU apart from a couple of the films, I generally regard this one as the worst one in the MCU, and I want I thought it'd be interesting to look at that and sort of talk about why did this not derail the entire MCU project because it could have done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in my opinion, what was the one that came out after it? Because obviously, man, that was Ship as well. That's the one that was the one that I watched at the cinema, And I love Mickey Rawke Guilty Pleasure.
Speaker 1: I actually like Iron Mantu. I we might find differently when we watch it on mc on on STC, but my memory is Iron Mantu is my favorite. Iron Man really, Yeah, I mainly I really really like Sam Rock. Well, so maybe I'm blinded by Sam Rock. Well, yeah, I I'm not blinded by there is that agregious and awful Elon Musk cameo in that movie I can't remember. Oh yeah, yeah, because I watched it, wasn't a big deal of No. You know they go to the racetrack, don't they. Monica is a bit where Elon Musk's in it and start goes up to him and like congratulates him on Tesla, and.
Speaker 2: It's like, especially since he didn't make Tesla, yeah bought it and he's just terrible.
Speaker 1: But yeah, anyway, can we re edit the film so it's just Iron Man takes out Elon Musk.
Speaker 2: That would be a better film.
Speaker 1: Let Mickira keep whipping people.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, what he wants is his bird. I want my borrow, my borrow, my burrod.
Speaker 1: But you know, we we'll get you the fucking bird. Okay it's not okay, it's not your bird, but it's a bird.
Speaker 2: Look at the man's face. He's been through some shit. El Mousk hasn't give him some ground, you know.
Speaker 1: So, Rory, is this your first time ever seeing the incredible Hawk? I'm guessing so from what you said.
Speaker 2: Yes, i'd heard it was bad. I'd heard that the first Hulk movie was shit, and after watching it, I assumed this was that one. So I feel a little bit awkward now because I was like, yeah, clearly I'm in the same pain as everyone else at the first Hulk movie shit and they were talking about Hulk from two thousand and three.
Speaker 1: To be fair, I don't know anyone who thinks this one.
Speaker 2: Is great, right, Okay, good good. I don't want to be stepping on people's toes. Look, there are things I will praise in this film as we go through it, but overall this film is just I've said this before, so I'll keep it brief. Superhero movies aren't really my jam, and this falls into certainly by the second half. This falls very firmly into the main reason as to why I don't like them, same reason I hated Man of Steel, same reason that I turned off a little bit towards the end of Iron Man, though overall that film is much much better. Cgi people slamming into each other does nothing for me. There's no stakes, there's no point. It's just it's grabbing two action figures and slight slamming them up against each other constantly until you've decided, as the writer, or this one loses now, so you know I need to And so actually that starts as off quite nicely as to the story of this. I need to know the limitations of your character if you're doing because you can kind of avoid that in a like if I do a police drama, I know the limitations of the character. To an audience knows the limitations of the character because are either established that they're smart, or that they're street wise, or that they've got some trait that's positive. But overall they're human. So they're not gonna be going right now, I've solved this case. Time to fly to the next destination, you know, because that's not what a police drama will do. So you know the limitations. You know that if they get shot, they're probably gonna die. If they get stabbed, if they're in a fistfight, they have to live on their wits, et cetera, et cetera. With a superhero, certainly even something like the Hulk, but Superman has this problem as well. Just punch him, keep punching, keep punching, keep punching. Oh, nothing happened because They're essentially invincible, and the only way you can give that stakes is to go right. There is a limitation to this character, and the limitation is they are essentially invincible until this happens. Superman tried to introduce that with Kryptonite, though ironically it's not one of the reasons he's ever died in the comics. He's died about five times from other means, such as being crushed. I don't know how, but whatever. Uh yeah, so I need to know what the limitation is. The problem this film has, and it's something that when I mentioned it to you while watching it, you're like, oh, It's something I liked about the film is that they skip the entire backstory of Hulk. It's literally the film opens up to the opening credits, no dialogue, and it's just he's man in chair, man, get injection, man turned Hulk Man, punch woman in face, near enough, hurt some people who were scientists or soldiers. Anyway, Man feels sad man disappear, and then we get to the film where he's already like the whole story of what the Hulk is has already been and gone, and he's now living out in the middle of Mexico, No Brazil. He's now living out in the middle of Brazil in a packing plant, trying to hide away from the fact that he's the Hulk. The problem is, I understand from what you told me when you messaged me, which is I like that because we've already seen the story of the whole and now knowing that there's the two thousand and three one five years later going hey, here's the origin again, I get it. And for most people this probably won't be a big deal because I know there's a lot of comic book fans, but I don't know the limitations of your Hulk. So when the Hulk eventually comes out, it's just an invincible man slamming into things. And it's not even a real man. It's CG. I Man. So this intro is bad for me as someone who's not massively into comics. Whereas with Iron Man, I had less of a clue about Iron Man. Couldn't name you an iron Man before they made the Iron Man movie, I could name you a Hulk. He's in it. Lu Forigno, I could I know of the Hulk, did not. Iron Man is a nothing to me until all of a sudden they used him and made a massive deal out of him in the MCU. But I cared about him because, like, here's a flawed guyer. He's been kidnapped, he's only got his intelligence. He's on a basically on a timer because he's got his chest has been damaged, and he's got to build this supersuit and he has to you know, yes he's got a super suit, and yes you end up with two CGI men flying into each other in space, but you know what the limitations are. It's still a machine. It still has areas where it can go wrong. He's still got the limitation of the damage on his chest. So if you were to hit him in the chest quite squally, you probably do him quite a batter injustice. Yeah, I've just felt like you said a posh sounding word. It's probably not even a real word.
Speaker 1: No, it's not.
Speaker 2: Squarely is the word you're looking square?
Speaker 1: Get him squire of the chest.
Speaker 2: But yeah, basically you got the limitations to Tony Stark, and him as Iron Man was still Tony Stark. With the Hulk, you've got Bruce Banner as a normal man with limitations, and then you've got the Hulk, who is in vincer murdering monster, except he never hurts a single person who's not a villain in this film, and that.
Speaker 1: Is that is where I think we run into the problem. So, in all honesty, I'm not a big Hulk fan, as you know, I've said it before on the show. When I was a kid, I used to watch all the superhero cartoon shows. Yeah, I've never really liked the incredible Hulk. I never thought it was very interesting. I think the only way you can make this interesting but they wouldn't do it because I guess even then, the Marvel formula was starting to creep in even though we hadn't solidified it yet. The Marvel formula doesn't get solidified until Avengers, when Joss Whedon kind of solidifies it, and then that's the template that they follow for every Marvel film since we don't. But exactly what you said, like, the only way to take this character interesting is okay, Fine, you want to do a character who has no limits. They are an unstoppable wrecking machine. Fine, has the stakes has to be the danger he poses to everybody else.
Speaker 2: The collateral damage, that's the issue. Like he may do good things, but the collateral damage during it which we see on buildings, but buildings can be rebuilt. We have a human life, that's the interesting thing. Or you play the jaccul and Hyde element, which is I'm guessing the original influence for the Incredible Hulk, which is its JaQuel and Hyde, but with superheroes. And in this both forms of Banner, which is him as Bruce Banner and him as the Hulk, are good guys. They never hurt anyone in consequential. There is no real collateral damage outside of surface damage to buildings, and there is even to the point where he takes his ex girlfriend or current girlfriend ex girlfriend. I think at that point.
Speaker 1: Tyber El's current girlfriend, yes, she.
Speaker 2: Cheats the hell on him, but basically takes her safety from the military guys and then just looks after it. And it's like, oh, Then afterwards Bruce Banner goes, I don't recognize that guy. There's nothing of me in there, and it's like, but he's a good guy. He's clearly a good guy. Doesn't have any advantage or take advantage in any like sort of positive or negative way. He's just like you say, they go to sleep, I'll watch over you.
Speaker 1: There's a line later in the film once Abomination has started wrecking the city, where he says to General Ross, I'm Ross. General Ross says, are you telling me you can control it? And he says no, but maybe we can aim it. When he's justifying let in the Hulk go to fight the abomination. That would mean so much more if we'd have seen him actually wreckshit yes before, but there is no you are right, like, I'm not denying it. There's no weight to the Hulk hulking out because he only ever injures the bad guys.
Speaker 2: He's got to be so if you were to basically go right, we're gonna it has to be a situation basically where it's like, right, we need to let an animal loose in here, Let's send in a fucking silver back goerrilla against these soldiers. Right, they've got no real guns that can do any damage to it. We're gonna send in a silver back gorilla. Now, the silver back gouerrilla will probably take out the guys quite easily because it's bigger, it's more powerful than them. You can't aim it. It's so it's just a force of nature. The Hulk had to be that, but we know he's not because a of what he does with the girlfriend, where he's like, oh, I've got to protect this person, which is not what a silver Back would do in that scenario. And number two because of the fact that during the first battle he has with the remember the bit outside the university grounds and you've got the helicopter coming in and shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the tanks with the sound weapons. That's it.
Speaker 2: When he's getting attacked with the sound weapons, the Hulk himself, not Bruce Banner, figures out how to defeat them because he's getting owned by the sound waves. He then gets the bits of metal, uses them as a barricade against the sound wave, and then throws the other one.
Speaker 1: I like that bit.
Speaker 2: That was clever. But the problem is is now he's not a force of nature. He's a reasonable he's a reasoning, thinking person. So but he's not the Hulk.
Speaker 1: Find that so you can you can either do there's multiple points where they drop the ball here, Yeah, because you've dropped the ball on the unstoppable killing force. Yep, Okay, you've gone with this option instead. Okay, this could still be interesting because now clearly there is some of Banner in the Hulk, and the implication of that is something that would be really fun to explore because it's like, oh so when you're a little cleanly tiny back. It's that argument about if you give a human being power, they inevitably turn evil. It's that you could have done something about it, but they don't tell you what they couldn't. And I know, obviously they couldn't have known this back in two thousand and eight because they can't predict the future. They could have killed liv Tyler because Betty Ross never comes back in the MCU ever, she's she is Hulk's main loving aston because she's his Mary Jane in the in the comics, they could have killed her off. But I did actually watch a video earlier today that was talking about how the MCU got the Hulk completely wrong, not just the Holt, but Bruce Banner himself, which is and this had the whole MCU, and it had never occurred to me until I watched this. He never faces consequences for the entire franchise. Ever, there are never consequences to anything the Hulk does. The most you ever get is Mark Ruffalo looking sad for about two minutes, just being like, oh, you know, you wouldn't like it when when I let the other guy out, it's horrible and blah blah blah. And then next thing you know, he's fighting fucking Ultron or he's like, I'm always angry and fights the Jitari without Yeah, purely God, And it is funny in though Ragnarok, Hulk is in thought ragnar When Loki sees the Holk, he like shits himself and he's like, gotta get out of here. But that's what I mean. Though, they've turned to the Hulk, who should be one of your biggest pathos characters, and into the comedy sidekick of the MCU.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it should be a case of when he comes out and he's You're like, we need the Hulk to help us in a scenario, but you're doing it because you know you're gonna lose something by initiating that. You'll win the fight, but you're gonna lose something in the meantime. And we never lose anything with the Hulk.
Speaker 1: No. One thing I've seen from post end game MCU is she Hulk. Yes, And so at the end of endgame, the Hulk loses an arm. It doesn't get chopped off, but it like withers and shrivels because he he's the one who snaps the Infinity gems to bring everybody back because they're like, well, a human, a normal human can't do it, would kill them, but because he's hulked out, he can do it. And even him, the Hulk, it like withers his arm to like nothing, turns up in Sheehulk looking fine again, and there's a hand wavy line about, oh, I used your fresh Hulk cells to inject my arm, and now my arm's normal again. So there's no consequence that should be a big sacrifice that he, you know, gave his arm to bring the entire fucking half of the planet back. But it means nothing.
Speaker 2: No, because it's hand waved away.
Speaker 1: Because we're going to be fair the movie. And you could say this is for better or for worse. I'm sure there's comic book fans who would argue that this is a good thing, but I'm a movie fan, so it's not a good thing for me. They've ended up going into that comic book route of you can take the toys out of the box, play with them, do whatever you want in your movie, but at the end of your movie, the toys have to be back in the box ready for the next film. Yes, nothing can last, Yeah, no consequences. Yeah, and it's it's what's made the MCU lose all of its steam, which it visibly has post end game. You can see it in the box office performance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, let's let's not go through it beat by bat. There's bits that I want to point out though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I want to just talk about the Brazilian bit. Yes, please do, because I I do agree with that. I agree with ha ha ha ha. I agree with that critic who said the best part of the film is the Brazilian bit. It loses something after that bit. I think the cinematography degrades very visibly as well. Yeah, the cinematography is the location is very visually interesting, the cinematophy is good. And there's a couple of things like I did like that they skip through his origin story. I thought they did a very other than the fact he's British, which already clued you into the fact he was a villain, they very quickly tell you that Blonski is the villain of this film by having him shoot the dog for no reason. Yes, and I was just like, boom, villain. Love it that's very effective, though. I know you're Scott, So there's there's a there's number one.
Speaker 2: It's a good thing because I'm like, cool, Roth's the villain, got it great and good choice for a villain. Roth is a great villain in different films. The problem with it is it also made me hate Edward Norton because there's two dogs.
Speaker 1: He shoots.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, Roth shoots a dog outside of the flat. That's how Norton wakes up and his dog is in the flat bark like barking because he knows it's gonna happen, Like he knows that there's negativity coming their way. So Norton funks off out the window leaves his dog to then also get shot.
Speaker 1: I missed, I missed the first one. Sorry, yeah, I was.
Speaker 2: Just like, fuck you, Yeah, you just left your dog to die? Sort of asshole? Are you?
Speaker 1: So?
Speaker 2: That that made me actually hate Bruce but Norton. Actually that's me naming the man rather than the character. It made me hate the Bruce Banner character because I'm like, you've now you've got a loyal pet. The one thing everyone knows about dogs is that they're loyal pets. And you've gone, hoh, it did the job. It woke you up, and then you're like, hey, you can fucking die. You mean nothing, has no sadness, has no mention of the dog. Later it's like, you're a cunt. I really don't like you. The other thing I want to mention as well is before that point is we get the stan Lee cameo quite early on, which is just get it out of the way, yeah, which I'm not. The problem I have with this is like the beginning, we skipped over the entire actual meaning of the film straight away to rush into this new story. When the stan Lee cameo comes up, he's drunk the kool aid that has Edward Norton's blood in it.
Speaker 1: It's like knockoff Mountain do, isn't it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And so he drinks it goes oh my, drops the thing and the glass breaks on the floor. And then all that happens from that is a throwaway line later, which is there's a guy who's drunk the blood. We've dealt with that, now we have to know where it is just a stapping stone to mate. Yeah, It's used as a stapping stone for William Hurt to realize what country ed hiding. We find out throughout the course of this film, because he injects tim Roth with stuff. We find find out that just the touch of the blood on the guy's head later makes it start, so we know it's highly toxic. It can change anything.
Speaker 1: You want to Stanley the Hulk, Well, no, I just want to know what the fuck happened to him? I could grow the Stanley Hulk.
Speaker 2: Stanley that you know what, better film smash.
Speaker 1: I kind of expected that.
Speaker 2: To come back a little bit later in some way at least, like what was it? Did it kill him? Did he hulk out and have to get taken down? What was what was the narrative.
Speaker 1: That there's a throwaway line about radiation sickness, So I assume he dies. But you are right, everyone else who gets the blood mute. Unless you're supposed to just believe Will Stanleys so old that it just kills.
Speaker 2: Like that, there has to be a consequence to that action outside of because if it's just old man dies after drinking mountain dew because he's old man, how at what point with the minuere going to go, oh my god, it's the wholt blood well.
Speaker 1: Because they'd be like, people don't just randomly get radiation sickness in their own kitchen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but why would they've tested in for radiation sickness.
Speaker 1: Because the signs of radiation sickness has very visible symptoms.
Speaker 2: Not the way that it's showed in the film.
Speaker 1: Well, because it cuts away after ten seconds, they take a few days to materialize.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it didn't take them a few days to get the information, so you must have died instantly.
Speaker 1: We don't know how long it takes, it's just it just cuts. It could be days, it could be minutes, it could be second then another problem. But no. The chase through Brazil, the Brazilian streets, I really liked, and I have made a note here about how it makes this film feel. It feels so different from the later MCU. I can't tell you how many later MCU films I've seen where there's a chase sequence and it's all CGI.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, they're just running through green screen and it's.
Speaker 1: Not even the real people as the people are CGI, like fucking Agent Smith and the Matrix. Yeah, and this is actual real people running through real streets, repelling down real buildings, and it makes shit. The film benefits from its age in that sense. Yeah, definitely, because you go, oh, this is back when we actually made movies.
Speaker 2: There's a bit later on with General Ross where he's talking to tim Roth in like a garage likes garage might be the wrong word, but like a large military garage with all these HCV not AGVs, with all these large vehicle military vehicles in it. APC's I think they're called, and you can tell they're actual sets with actual props, and I was just like, they don't right, use any of those APCs or anything in this scene. But it's like, cool, we've got them. I can see they're real.
Speaker 1: There's a world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like I can get invested in with depth. Yeah, this only lasts for half the film.
Speaker 1: I have put it's around the twenty five minute mark. The film takes a notice dip in pacing, and in my interest, lean, yes, yes, definitely agree the CGI has aged. I'm not gonna hold that against it necessarily because all CGI ages, although I seem to remember I've not seen it in a few years, but I think things like Jurassic Park still hold up.
Speaker 2: Essentially. In Jurassic Park, for the most part, the CGI was used to enhance practical effects whereas there was a couple of bits where you had CGI dinosaurs that do look a little ropee, but they're very brief. A lot of it was prop work, so it holds up still, and even then, because it was one of the first films to really kind of try and kaibash those together in a realistic fashion. On the sets where they were doing a full CGI dinosaur, they would still have an item there, like not just like a tennis ball, but like an actual robot dinosaur, so that they could light it and go right, this is how the lighting should look on the dinosaur itself, so they weren't having to guess or pretend what that should look like in post that that helped a lot by making the CG I feel part of the scene. Naturally, they don't seem to do that anymore. Yeah, they light everything for green screen and CGI, so everything's flat so that technically the CGI looks as realistic as the footage.
Speaker 1: But I hate to tell you. I'll tell you the reason why, and I hate to tell you this. It's because the general public don't care. Well, no, the general public do care, but they didn't realize they cared. So what I mean by that is the films where they did everything. CGI sold massively. Well, so of course the studio goes, will people vote with their wallets? We can get away. We're doing this and you are starting to see increased discourse online of people go in, I can't put my finger See we know why films are shipped now, Yeah, because we make films these. I see a lot of discourse of people go in, I can't put my finger on it. But films are not good anymore, and they can't I put their finger on one.
Speaker 2: They don't know. Yeah, I suppose it'd be like if I drive a car and there's something wrong with the car. I probably don't know what's wrong with the car, but I can feel that the car isn't operating properly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it could sit there and go, well, it feels like something's wrong with the one of something like that, they could probably analyze it by driving Surprised the word carburetor.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I should know more because I watched a lot of top Gear and I own a motorbike. But surprisingly all of the mechanical words in my brain just disappeared.
Speaker 1: Fan a belt, Oh that's not a mechanical components coming to me naming parts of a car chassis chassis chassis, not chassis chassis, the chassis chassis, chassis chassis, the engine, the radiator, the steering column. Anyway, So Edward not an going back to America because he's been communicating with this mister Blue who will meet later on and Betty. Ross has moved on and is dating Tyberrell from Modern Family.
Speaker 2: Who is unfairly written out of the film halfway through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it turns out he betrayed Banner, didn't he did he? Yeah, there's a conversation between him and Ross where it so the way.
Speaker 2: I thought that conversation was just him telling Ross that he's a dick for abandoning his daughter or using his daughter as well.
Speaker 1: I could be wrong, but I'm sure I tuned out a lot through by this point because the film is I'm fairly certain that's how Ross finds him at the university is tyber There's a line where Tiberrell says, I don't know if I did the right thing actually, because that's it. Yes, Tiberrell has sold him out at the UNI, but didn't expect Ross to attack while live Tyler was there, and then he choose him out for you put your own daughter in danger and then yeah, he's gone, he's out of the movie, which is that's just done because then live Tyler's carry not lift Tyler.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Betty Ross, Yes, with Tyler. That's only done so that Betty Ross has to face no consequences for her cheating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which technically she does not do because Edward not and Connor can't do it. She snogs him, she does, she does, she does snog him, Yes, and she's the one initiating.
Speaker 2: So it's clearly if he could perform, she would have. I'm not going to go into what would have happened had he hulked out halfway through, but believe.
Speaker 1: Me, there's fan fiction's on the internet about that. So you just let the internet worry about that, don't, don't. Yes, that is what devian art is for. So the big fight scene at UNI, there was bits of it I liked. There was bits of it I didn't. I liked the sound guns and the whole having to work out how to do him. It looks. It doesn't look great, but it looks better than I would expect.
Speaker 2: The helicopter, I looks it's weirdly ropey because it's a CGI helicopter, right, And as I was watching it, there's bits where like the Hult would turn around and there's a hulk and a helicopter and the helicopter looks worse than the whole and I'm like, guys, like one of those is clearly easier to manufacture.
Speaker 1: I know it's not great, but I kind of like the bit where he just boots Blonski into the tree and I was like, oh, this was a good bit though, because I quite like the idea that, Like, I'm not a fan of this scene because again it's a lot of CGI, but the idea that tim Roth has been given some more powers, He's been given some of the bloods are trying to human himself and gave at first, he's been given the because that's one of our two links we get to. The main MCU shield gets mentioned, and they also they talk about the super Soldier program from World War Two, which is what makes Captain America and I think it's some of the Captain America serum they give him first.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, I wondered why he wasn't hulking out later.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the first thing they give him is the Captain Americans in which just makes you stronger and faster, and as we learn later in the MCU, it emphasizes whatever you already are, which is why Captain in America's a goody two shoes becomes a paragon of virtue. They give it to Blonski, who is power hungry, and he becomes more power hungry.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, I thought they just gave him some more whole blood, but whatever, But either way, I like the fact that he got the extra power, and it also made him more cocky because it was just like, well, now I can match you toe for toe and then found out very quickly he could not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he revives, though they do the traditional villain ie opening thing. Yeah he's in the hospital, benet into his face because his eyes are the score just got dud dump.
Speaker 2: But like the whole thing is they say, right, basically, his bones are a gristle at this point, like it's been just Hulk smashed so hard that his bones are nothing, but his bones are still holding his body together somehow, and then he makes a full recovery almost, which isn't really explained.
Speaker 1: That's so that's the serum.
Speaker 2: So the serum gave him healing as well, right, which.
Speaker 1: I think it does to Captain America as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the problem though, you need to know all of that, and I don't think Captain America will come out yet.
Speaker 1: No, that's the last one before the first Avengers film.
Speaker 2: Right, But Luthrigno, as I say, he's in this, he's a security guard at Carver University before this big fight. I like that moment, but again it's one of those things where if you don't know who louth Frigno is the scene, you're like, why is he shaking the hand of the security guard.
Speaker 1: And he gets another cameo as a security guard in the first Avengers movie.
Speaker 2: Oh does he I forgot that?
Speaker 1: Yea, unless I'm wrong. I fairly certainly has a cameo in the First Avengers, but I could be wrong. Here's another bit where they had the chance and they dropped the ball again. So we talked about where Hawk works out doing the thing with the sound guns and you're like, oh, there's a little bit of Edward Norton in him. You then get a scene I liked, but it goes nowhere where Edward Norton's having a shower and he gets a PTSD flashback to the guns, the gatling guns of the helicopter firing at him when he looks at the shower hair. So clearly he has some of Hulk's memories. Yes, and I was like, okay, nice to have a bit more about that, because they're they're hinting at this Jackal and Hyde thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if the Hult did something negative like that's the other problem, because the Hulk doesn't really do anything problematic. All we've got for those negative flashbacks are all the gatling guns were firing, Whereas if it had been he'd crushed an old woman to death by accident or by not or just by rage, that would have been the thing that flashed back to him. That would have had more impact because it'd be like, holy shit, of guild, someone.
Speaker 1: You probably could have had, and that the fans would not have liked this because it means you're killing a catch who stays around for ages in the comic books. But if he'd have killed General Ross, who I know comes back later in the MCU. But if you'd have killed General Ross, that would have furthered this storyline where you go, okay, so that's the Hulk, and I don't mean General Ross attacks him first, I mean, Hulk goes out of his way in the middle of that battle, because then the Hulk is carrying out the Banner's beef. Yeah, and you're like, so it's not fully uncontrolled. No, it's an instinct thing.
Speaker 2: Maybe, Yeah, it's it's whatever his deepest desire would be to do. It will then enact. The other thing as well that I find interesting is if we're going for oh, the trauma of the memories from being the Hulk, His trauma was remembering the gatling gun, not destroying tim Roth's body with that massive boot kick into the tree. Yeah, he didn't give a shit about tim Roth.
Speaker 1: Can I just say as well? And this is a problem the MCU will have a fair few times. I personally do not feel the chemistry between Ed Norton and Liv Tyler. I really didn't care if they ended up together or not.
Speaker 2: I mean a lot of my notes here, like at forty five minutes in, I'm boring it feels like the wheels are spinning and waiting for something to happen. It's it's quite frequent, and I think a lot of it is because of it feels like this film was rewritten to try and make it more dramatic, but when they did that, they forgot because of the type of film it is, you really need someone to be bringing some form of cheese, which you don't really get until the latter half, like Tim Roth becomes that character kind of before he becomes a CGI monster man. I like the way he starts to turn. But General Ross is a guy, for example, who should be a lot more. He should be more like j Jonah Jamison or something from Spider Man. He needs to be more like that. William Hurt is playing him way too serious and the I'm sorry, it's a big cigar chewing, fucking military general. He should be played like the guy from Dr Strangelove. The guy is sort of around We're going to catch mother. And don't get me wrong, I love William Hurt. William Hurts a phenomenal actor, but he's doing this way too serious. If you think of J Jonah Jamison the bit where he's like gay picture as a Spider Man, but played it the way William Hurt plays this, it's not the same character and it's not as interesting.
Speaker 1: I know there was a big disagreement. I know there's a lot of disagreements in this between Edward Norton and the creative team about the direction of the film, and it sounds like, based on what that critic review said, six people edited this movie, which probably goes probably goes some way to explaining why the pacing is dog shit, yes, and all over the place. And you can tell I lost some interest here as well, because I actually don't have any more notes now until the final fight starts. I will say that Tim Blake Nelson turns up. They did single him out in one of the critic reviews. What did you think about Tim Blake. So he's the scientist, mister Blue Samuel sterns. He's doing a bit of an over the top thing, That's what I mean.
Speaker 2: He's like him and Tim Roth are the only one's doing any of that, and you needed a lot more of it. It's a little too little, too late. I didn't see anything stand out. But then he's still not meant to be quite because you told me he becomes a villain later that character. Yeah, so he's not quite fully in that mode.
Speaker 1: No, and that's what was with so you know you see saw his head start to morph it. Yeah, so he actually is the Hulk's arch and he's the Joker to the Hulk. He's called the Leader and he's got a huge Mars Attacks style.
Speaker 2: Brain, right, and that's what that was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, but they end up not bringing this character back until I've heard he comes back, not in a Hawk film. He's in and I've not seen this film yet. He's in the newest Captain America movie, the one that's got Anthony Mackie in it as Captain America. Yeah, they've got Tim Bake Nelson back again, but fifteen sixteen, seventeen years later, and not in a Hulk movie.
Speaker 2: It's because the Hawk became irrelevant outside of a gag throughout the whole MCU following this film. I've never seen him used in a way that's actually thematically interesting in any of the movies.
Speaker 1: He's in my opinion, he's best in the first Avengers movie. Yeah, but even then he's mostly a tagline. He's mostly a punchline. Well, to be fair, in that one is the only one where he's a credible threats. The thing where they're on that you've seen the first amount, when they're on the what it's called the Helly Carrier, the ones probably the only scene in that film where you have any real tension. Is the scene where he hulks out and that he's attacking Black Widow, and it's shot like a horror movie all of a sudden, with lots of shadow and shit, and that feels tense because you get everyone's trying to calm him down, except Tony, who has a little ship head and he's like deliberately like he shocks him at one point, done it and he's like, what, I just want to see what it looks like when you hook out, And you're like, well, you know that fits with Tony's character because he doesn't take anything seriously up to this point, and it fits when you've got the Hulk feels uncontrollable. Once you get to Age of Ultron, he starts feeling too controlled. Yes, because they even they bring in a thing where Black Widow can get him to un hulk out. She has a rhyme that she says and she holds a hand out to him and she says this rhyme and it makes the Hulk get all sleepy and revert back to Banner.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that I thought about this that something that is probably you know, a limitation of me. I guess I really hate CGI men slamming into each other, which is all you and now you're now going to get from this film. I thought there was a better way to do this practically. When I discussed it with you, you said you can't really do that nowadays because people expect CGI, Studios will expect to use CGI, and nobody wants to see you know what you're going to do with getting a man big enough. But for me, my thought was, you get a normal person to play Bruce Banner, you then get a much bigger person to be the Hulk, kind of like they used to do with Luthreigno, though you didn't quite work out there Luthreigno series is the reason you wouldn't do it this way, except I would change how you play it because a lot of cinematic techniques have come out since then. So you'd get big guys like get the Big Show or something from WW Painting Green and have him as the Hulk.
Speaker 1: When the whole Batista.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then what you do is all of your stuntmen for those scenes are actually shorter actors, so when they're in a shot together it looks more imposing. But what you then do to supplement. That is, when you need to have, say, another character who doesn't like a main character, you can't ensure that you hire any very short characters for all of your actors, for all your characters, you use the Lord of the Rings techniques. Yeah, where you force this perspective where as far as the camera sees, these two people are in the same shot together and one is huge and one is very small. But it's a trick of the camera.
Speaker 1: And studios won't stand for it. Now. Yeah, we can even see it with Lord of the Rings. Yeah, so New Line cinema are very accommodating of Peter Jackson. By the time he does the hobbit, it's not the same New Line cinema and they are not as accommodating. No CGI. Yeah, it's sad and it sucks because I don't get me wrong, I one hundred. If practical effects can be used, will always choose practical. I am a big fan of CGI. Should be used to enhance, not to create. As you know, we've talked about that a million times.
Speaker 2: But even if the CGI is slightly cheaper than doing the practical, the practical is still the best option. Not just because I personally prefer it, but actually, in a long run, when it comes to your editing, et cetera, you don't have to worry about editing around CGI. It's all in the frame. And when it comes to restoring your footage for later releases, which might not be as big a deal now, but certainly when you're looking at doing DVD, Blu ray or whatever home video releases they used to do. But actually with streaming it still matters. If you were to then do go right, we're going to do an eight K release of this film, you can't really without going back and redoing all the CGI. But with the film negative stuff, stuff that you've actually shot, practically just go rescan the negative. It's still not cheap and not easy, but it's a lot cheaper and a lot easier than redoing all your CGI. In that effect, your film is more timeless therefore will actually make you more money long term as a company then it will do using the CGI. But they don't think long term, unfortunately, it's just what can we get the box office? Literally, nothing else matters, and.
Speaker 1: It's one of the reasons we've got the story issues we've talked about as well. Yes, Betty Ross never comes back. The leader never comes back in a Hulk movie. The reason we have these story issues is because they're only ever thinking short term, Yeah, what what? And this is a problem I've got with author, It's a problem I've got with fucking doctor who lately is doctor who has become just about that. How do we how do we get memes from this episode? What can we put in it that will make the internet go crazy for a week so that everyone comes back and watch us next week. And that's why you get bullshit in the new season of Dot two where they're like, we're bringing omegaback, who's not been in it since like the seventies, And then it's not the Omega from the seventies. It's a big CGI baby that's on screen for literally, I think it's only thirty seconds, and you're like, you spent a whole episode building up to this and it lasts thirty seconds. It is one of those things that is unfortunate that superhero movies have fallen into this space where they always have to have a big CGI fight at the end, and it hasn't aged as well. You know, you look at something like Sam Raimi's First Spider Man, and yes, I'm not going to sit here and claim that that final fight between Spider Man and the Green Goblin is the smoothest thing ever. It's very clearly it's very obviously wire working the way that wire work has that certain look to it. But at least it's fucking real. You know, it's Willem defo, it's Toby maguire, this drama there, and fair enough, maybe you can't do that with the Hulk. Let's say, let's for a minute say it's not an option to do it practice. There's still away. I still believe that CGI done well can still there is no reason for this to feel as weightless as it does well.
Speaker 2: What's kind of interesting is that CGI fights in movies that are all CGI, that are not live action movies quote unquote, tend to do fight scenes better because for some reason there's this weird thing where they are restricting themselves to having to work with camera work, even if it doesn't really apply. This film has a lot of problems with that, Like the final fight between the roth Monster and Abomination, the roth Monster and the Hawk is shit. It's I'm not even gonna say, you know, it's not my jam it's literally the cheesy.
Speaker 1: Part of me liked a bit where the Hawk used half two halves of a car as boxing gloves. I was like, that is stupid, but I like it. No, no, no, that's not the main issue, because the thing is the problem is that at that point, yes, you get little bits like that which are OK, but this is at the point where it's still basically two invincible objects punching each other, which means nothing. Then you get to the point where it's like, right now, one of them has to win, and it has to be the Hulk. So how does the Abomination fall? And fuck knows because I don't know the limits of either of these characters.
Speaker 2: So why why would the Hulk win? Why would the Abomination lose? And they don't fucking know, because clearly what they do is they've been punching and smashing the hell out of each other this entire time, nearly a scratch on either of them, and the Hulk just somehow just cuddles him to death or some shit.
Speaker 1: No, he wraps a chain around his neck and chokes him out. And to be if a thing can't breathe, it falls asleep. That's you don't matter if you're invincible if you can't breathe, you can't get oxygen to your body, you fall asleep. But chain make any difference if this is another punched with a car, But this is another where they drop the ball because it's not a hit, it's a constant pressure. But this is another bit where they drop the ball because the whole thing here is the Hulk is clearly going to kill him and live. Tyler's like, don't kill him, and the Hawk makes that choice not to. But because the rage of the Hulk has felt so watered down in the rest of the film, that doesn't feel like that should be a monumental moment, but it doesn't feel like one because it's just kind of like, well, yeah, the Hulk's kind of been mostly good.
Speaker 2: For all of this anyway, And he listened to her before, so why would I not believe she'd listened to he'd listen to her now?
Speaker 1: I did make a note if you ever noticed that it's a trope in character design. Whenever you have a hero and villain who are wondering if you're about to menure to say that I was going to venture go okay, whenever you have a hero and villain who was supposed to be roughly the same thing. So these are both Hulks, but one's evil. The evil one will always have spines. You ever notice that that character i've tim ross got all the spines off his back, just to be fair, that's one bit that I was like, that is Nihley's when the Hawks fucking grabs the spine and sideways, I was cool.
Speaker 2: So we're kind of both on the same train of thought, but on slightly different tracks. So, yes, you're right when they do like an evil version of a Hulk, it's one with spikes. The other thing I mentioned might know was I've noticed that the Roth Monster's not wearing any clothes and specifically has no wing wang.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he was a speeder in the comics. He has in the comics, if I remember right, he has like iguana frills as well, because when they brought him back in Shee Hulk, they gave him the iguana thrill frills.
Speaker 2: So yeah, put, I've noticed. It's not any wondering if this is a mckismo thing where Hulk is better and more of a man, because he might still have a cat right, because it's the case of he's still got his trousers on why would you have the Hulk without his trousers, like, because why has he got the trousers on? It's clearly to cover up the fact that there may be something you'll flappen. I never noticed, and it's like, and I'm just like, but the Roth Monster doesn't keep the trousers on, even though traditionally in the comics he does, so it's literally just to make Tim Ross's character less of a man.
Speaker 1: I did like Bruce saying goodbye and jumping out of the plane, but I didn't like that they did a death fake out. He should have just hold. He should have just honked out on the way down. And my only other note, which is kind of a tongue in cheek.
Speaker 2: Though, the helicopter with Betty and William hurt and it crashes and every single person on board dies except for Betty and William hurt. I just fucking plot armor for those two.
Speaker 1: I did make a note here this is kind of a tongue in cheek, humorous one, but I find it funny that two massive Hulk monsters fighting somehow do less collateral damage than General's Odd and Superman in Man of Steel. It's yeah, because they fucking level Metropolis. In Man of Steel they do.
Speaker 2: Indeed, we then get a cameo of Robert Danny Jr. A Stark Yeah, saying he's putting a team together. So and that's how I put here. Did it come before or after?
Speaker 1: Im? It's after, But it kind of contradicts iron Man two a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I'm Man two. Yeah, because the Avengers isn't for another five years, yeah, and three years.
Speaker 1: So to be fair, irom Man one, the post credit scene is Nick Fury saying I want to talk to you about the Avengers initiative.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Iron Man is then clearly coming to General Roth talking of General Ross, talking about wanting to do a team. But in iron Man two we find out Shield of actually rejected Tony from the team because they've decided he's two unstable mentally. Right, It's a bit like, well, why was he the one going around recruiting people? Then?
Speaker 2: Well, to be fair, he didn't say the Avengers, so maybe he was trying to recruit for his own.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, if you don't want me, I'll get my own the Iron Gang. But that brings us to the this is back when they only did one post credit scene in Marvel movies as well, because, let me tell you, at one point I think it's Guardians of the Galaxy two has five post credit scenes just spread out throughout the credits. It's like, James Gunn you all be I love you, Jane Gone. I think you're a great filmmaker, but you are being agreedious right now. Five post credit scenes? Yeah? Fuck off?
Speaker 2: Yeah guy? Yeah, this film was boring, completely unengaging. I don't recommend it, to be fair, this is kind of this is what I think of when someone goes, oh, do you want to watch the new superhero?
Speaker 1: No? Fuck off?
Speaker 2: I think of this. If I'd seen this before we'd watched iron Man, I wouldn't have wanted to watch iron Man. So lucky for the mcu iro, Man came first because I think I think that gave people enough to go, you know what, we'll give them another shot. And then IMN two wasn't great, but at least it was better than this.
Speaker 1: Yes, this is the in the Infinity saga. Either this is the worst one or Captain Marvel's the worst one. Captain Marvel's pretty bad.
Speaker 2: I thought Captain Marvel was in phase two after the Infinity War thing.
Speaker 1: No, no, so Infinity Saga is the first three phases. What Phase one, two, and three is the Infinity Saga.
Speaker 2: I thought the first I thought the first thing was all the way up to endgame. Captain Marvel because she makes a cameo inme. I haven't seen any of that.
Speaker 1: Ship Captain Marvel came out between Infinity War and Endgame. Although it's set in the nineties.
Speaker 2: Can't imagine Captain Marvel being any good, not because of its being a woman. I can't imagine it's any good because I just imagine it's like this shit.
Speaker 1: It's super still, Captain Marvel has the Superman problem. She has no weaknesses and I hate Steel, so Woman of Steel has ain't gonna.
Speaker 2: Do it for me.
Speaker 1: They try they I don't know why they try and do this. In the MCU, they're trying to puller who's the real villain? Thing like, it's the British guy. It's Jude Law. Judelaw's the villain. He's the only British guy in the cast. It's Judlaw. And then it is it is Jude Law. And there's a bit that there's a bit they do that is funny because it's different from other superhero movies, but it's also unsatisfying because it denies you a climactic battle sequence, right, which is she's got she's basically Superman, She's iNFiNiT powerful, and Jude Law is basically just a normal guy. And there's a bit where like when they're finally face to face and he's like, come on, let's go one on one, no powers, just movie, and Captain bobble Lich is like, no, annihilate sip. Right. It's funny, yeah, because a lot of films have the here I do the yeah go on? Like in Resident Evil, for for God's sakes, when Crowser turns up with a knife and me I was just like, yeah, I'll put my gun away and just fight with the Why you just shoot the mother? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Blazing Settlers does the same thing with the fingers, just like you wouldn't shoot an I'm mad. So Cleveland Little drops and goes, all right, we'll do this man and man with fist over fist, and he goes, oh, I just for remembered, I do have a gun.
Speaker 1: Is it Raiders of the Lost Ark or Temple of Doom where Indiana Jones there's a guy does a load of that fancy sword swinging Indiana, Jones shoots him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is the first one raids the Lost Dark. Yeah that that apparently that was actually meant to be a.
Speaker 1: Fight sequence, but food poisoning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he had a dicky Tubby. He just went a couple and you can see it in his face. That whole I can't be fucked. It justos the guy.
Speaker 1: So looking back, this has some pros in the sense that it feels more like an actual movie than some of the later MCU.
Speaker 2: It's only good in comparison to modern movie making.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's a bad sign of the state modern movie making is in. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean the actual film itself is trash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and obviously famously, Edward Norton does not return as the whole. Do we know why creative differences.
Speaker 2: With Marvel because of this film?
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Edward, there's a reason Edward Norton is regarded as a very good actor in yet has never ever won an Oscar. I know he's famously difficult to work with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, i'd heard that because I know he's He's played on that in a couple of things where he's cameo does himself, but as a really difficult to work with actor, So at least he's got a sense of humor about it, I guess.
Speaker 1: But he insists on having put in the script right. So he did a rewrite of this movie, and then Marvel rewrote it again and kept some of his stuff and not some of his stuff. And I think that's one of the reasons the tone is completely offen.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it kind of flip flops between being a Marvel movie and being a drama, and it doesn't. It can't be. The problem is, is you think that would be nice, Oh, a dramatic Marvel movie, but it flip flops. It's not a consistent time.
Speaker 1: And I can't imagine Edward Norton fitting in once they all get together as the Avengers. Yeah, I just can't imagine him fitting in to that. I don't think he would have liked the way those movies are made where it's.
Speaker 2: I imagine him just the Avengers. I can't imagine him liking the way that any of that script was written.
Speaker 1: No, and at least that one was written, because as we know, the later MCU movies, they start filming them without scripts. Jesus, Yeah, Avengers Doomsday they started filming without a finished script. They're the first two acts written. But I don't understand how they can do that when the movie is going to be like what one hundred how many? Multiple millions? It's the most expensive film ever made. It's half a billion.
Speaker 2: Dollars, So that you're spending half a billion dollars on a film and you're going in without the fucking.
Speaker 1: Script because according to their algorithm, and to be fair, the sales have so far shown them right, audiences don't care. Paul W. S Anderson's bought a borring Resident Evil franchise can make a billion dollars despite the fact that it's all written by the same writers in Marveled at least Marvel.
Speaker 2: Single film in the resident as a franchise, six films to.
Speaker 1: Get to over a billion is still pretty good, though, Well, but my point is it's less than in each back then though, and for the budget, what I would give to get to it. But those films, at least the Marvel films. Yeah, okay, you've got fifty different writers pulling it in different directions. Those that's a six film series all written by one man, and it can't even stick to its own internal continuity. Well, the virus ride up the water try to pull the water the next one out on a fucking bolt. Awful movies, honestly, like the rest my level of rage for I listened to a podcast the other day where someone had the opinion that Monster Hunter wasn't a bad movie. I turned that podcast off. Oh Jesus, and I know I've got some pretty bad takes no, but that no, I will not stand for that.
Speaker 2: For anyone who wants to know about Jamie and my opinions, more on people like Paul W. S Anderson in the video game space VGMP is available and we have covered all of Paul W. Sanderson's and all of Bowls movies within that series. So now, yes, big irony, I know this off topic, so you might want to cut it. Ou Bowl has decided he's going to make a sequel to the House of the Dead because Paul Anderson is doing an official and he's in his video Cobbin. He was like, we will call it Return to Zombie Island because we cannot call it House of the Dead because some other idiot has the rights and they're going to make a truly terrible movie. Bowl versus and I want to see the fight. That's that's the new that's raging bowl to bowl versus Anderson. I want to fucking see that film.
Speaker 1: So there you have it. That is the incredible. What did you guys think about it? Do you guys think it's one of the worst in the MCU or maybe you rate it better? Please let us know. We love to get comments from you guys, and if you send us some thoughtful emails about what you did or didn't like about the film, maybe we'll read it out on a future episode. Wouldn't that be great? Thank you very much for tuning in. You can catch new episodes of Second Text Cinema every Thursday. As Rory said, you can find the complete library of all six seasons of the Video Game Movie podcast available on all good podcasting apps. And in around May time, we will be returning with the next set of episodes of our audio drama series Haunted, So lots coming from in Parlor Films.
Speaker 2: I hope people didn't find that we weren't a big in this film. I don't want them to call this episode the Incredible soulk.
Speaker 1: I'm also accepting applications to replace Worri as a permanent co host, So if you're interested in talking about film every week hit me up. Thank you everyone, and we will see you next time. For more Second Take Cinema,