Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon, and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app. There are some parts of Hollywood that are run down. They almost seem to be like baby ghost towns. Some areas this small stretch of Sunset Boulevard among them. This is an area of Sunset between Las Palmas and Highland where several dilapidated properties sit, including the former La Weekly office. This is all part of a proposed development that is going to try to reshape the area. One of the odd crumbling structures there in that vicinity is on a massive lot with old bungalows and motel rooms. It's called the Hollywood Center Motel. It looks creepy to begin with. Yeah, it's got this great sign out in front. I mean, except the fact that it's missing one of the l's in Holly. But it's got a great sign out in front that says Hollywood Center Motel. And it's sort of a I don't know what'd you call it, an art deco sign our deco with an arrow pointing down like the Beetlejuice sign all that.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's just a it's a cool looking place, and you can see clearly this would be something that they would if you're making a movie about late forties fifties Hollywood, this would be a place that you would refurbish and bring back to its full potential.
Speaker 1: It has played host to a slew of film and TV productions, including La Confidential, Confidential, The Rockford Files, a nineteen seventy two Pam Greer film hit Man. But now they say it looks like it's only suitable for horror films.
Speaker 2: The Victorian house that you mentioned it was really the first building on this entire lot. Way back in the early nineteen hundreds, very well to do couple William and Sarah Avery lived there. They called it the They called it El Nido. Changed hands a few times in the twenties. A couple of the new owners commissioned a build her to put up a bunch of bungalows on the property in an old English design. The owners kept expanding the property. They were renting out the bungalows to I mean this again, center of Hollywood. So you got a bunch of movie extras and people in town trying to make it, and this is where they would stay so they owners eventually die, their daughter takes over and they sell it at auction. She sells it at auction back in nineteen fifty four.
Speaker 1: But what happens at hotels like this, well, tragedy befalls them. It has to right. Hotels that are around for a certain amount of years, it's only a matter of time until they become infamous for one thing or another. And in nineteen sixty three a crime made the papers when a young, well dressed bandit held up the manager, Dorothea Meryll, at gunpoint, turn into bed and stole one hundred and eighty dollars from the hotel. Till later on in the sixties, remember Buffalo Springfield, they were just an upstart at the time. They all took up residence at one of the double story houses located at the Hollywood Center Motel. They loved the cheap rights, they loved the proximity to the music scene.
Speaker 2: Neil Young and Crazy Horse supposedly stayed there not because it was great, but literally because they were looking for the sleaziest motel on sunset that they could find, and this is the one that fit the bill.
Speaker 1: In the eighties, it became infamous yet again, when it became a footnote in the Wild Billionaire Boys Club saga. This was a case It centered around a Freddy La investment club turned Ponzi scheme that saw the founder of the club convicted of murdering one of the investors. During the trial, that guy's best friend described to the La Times. Described by the La Times as the prosecutions our witness was connected to another murder of a guy in his early twenties whose body was found inside the trunk of one of the motel's rooms in the fall of eighty six. It is funny.
Speaker 2: There are a few There are a few Yelp reviews of this place that are up right now. The last Yelp review or the most recent, I should say, looks like it's October of twenty three and said what was once a unique motel court is now a creepy experience to avoid the algorithm says that I have to say more. Stand by my statement again. It's these are not necessarily authentic people who stayed there, obviously, but fellow travelers and road dog I renamed this the Hollywood Standard Motel or sorry, Hollywood STD Motel is what this place should be called, not the place I thought I would be checking into so decided not to check in after I pulled into the driveway. That was from November of twenty two, So.
Speaker 1: All right. Coming up next an update on our Feathered Friends, our Feathered Family, and Big Bear. Also coming up Wellness Malls maybe coming to your neighborhood. And if you like romance novels and podcasts, have I got an app for you.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 1: Gary said in the Brig Shadows with his second family, he thinks Shadow has a second family, Amy, and that his second family lives at one thousand feet and there's no snow, no and they're all comfy and whadows. It's a very devoted dad. Where is he right now?
Speaker 4: He's maybe getting some fish or maybe just taking a break.
Speaker 1: They work fair for them other kids. He said, I'm gonna go get some cigarettes. I'll be right back. Do we even know about the mating habits of a male eagle and if he does have a second family?
Speaker 4: By nature, we know that they mate and they stay together. We don't know if they have multiple I don't think the penguins penguins, I think mate for a life and that's what eagles do too, Is that right?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So no chance Shadows get a second family somewhere.
Speaker 4: He's not getting any side hustle, side action, what do you call it?
Speaker 1: Side piece? Not? If that what do I call it? Well, I mean not if that other eagle also made babies during the making baby season, I mean that that eagle could be down for the count too. In terms of sexy time.
Speaker 2: How long does it take to bounce back? Yeah, for an eagle, yeah, I have no idea.
Speaker 1: For a human, what is it? Six weeks? They tell you not to get in there for six weeks.
Speaker 2: That's more comfort than it is. I mean, are you asking, like when can you?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: I said, well, I don't. I'm not going to answer that. There's nothing.
Speaker 1: No, no, I'm just saying if eaglettles have a specific mating season and he does have two families, We're going to get so much hate over this.
Speaker 2: I was just suggesting something off the air that didn't need to be brought on the air. Where is Shadow and he's not in the nest and he's not keeping these babies warm and he's not getting snow dumped on his wai?
Speaker 1: How long does it cow?
Speaker 5: Like?
Speaker 1: Literally, Amy, how long does it count? Does it take to go catch a fish and bring it back up? Well? Like, I feel like he's taking too long? Like is he in the car outside of the nest listening to music not wanting to go back to the nest because he doesn't want to deal with Jackie being like that might be the case.
Speaker 4: She doesn't give up the nest, especially when the weather's bad like this, okay, so she's pretty much like it's mine, stay away.
Speaker 1: She's like, I'll do it. You're not going to do it right, so I'll just do everything because you're not going to do it right.
Speaker 4: She totally does that to him, like he tries to feed and then she comes and she'll like move stuff like yeah, that piece is too big, or he'll put stuff.
Speaker 2: Like she say things to him like oh, bless your heart.
Speaker 3: She does.
Speaker 4: And then when he'll like put sticks down in the nest because they're always kind of building the nest, and she'll like look at him and then move.
Speaker 1: It for real. Yeah, yeah, oh that's not cool. I just want to live in a house like that constantly. I would like a roof on my house. This one does not have that interesting. Where do you guys think Shadow is though? Do you think he's really like painstakingly he's below the snow line right now? Yeah, he could be. He could be down in the tree, just on a perch at the at the nest pub, the pup nest.
Speaker 2: He's downstairs, Is that what you're saying? He's downstairs waiting for her to.
Speaker 1: Go to sleep. So silence, well, silence, Yeah, she'll call him when she needs really come and she'll call him.
Speaker 3: Amy.
Speaker 1: How much time do you've spent watching this? Asking for a friend? So I've been doing this for I've been watching them for probably four or five six years the season, so I've garnered some smart stuff. Do you and your cat read them? And the cats hang out? The cats watch the Oh my god, you guys. I did try to make the cats watch it the other day. My dog react them. They don't. The cats don't care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if they're if they're moving around or something like that. He'll he'll tell the kids. These are more like it's about them. Like there, It's like, come on.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 4: Just yeah, give me some food. I don't care about those little things swirming on the screen.
Speaker 1: The e's like a football player watching somebody else's game.
Speaker 2: Come on the eaglists do hatch. With the poor vision, they can barely see shadows. Now they're saying that shadows lowercase s not the not the dad. But they said that the third chick, they were concerned about it because it was later, several days later than they first two, and they were worried that it wasn't getting food. They said, it's better at figuring out now where the food is coming from, and it's been able to hold up its head for bites of meat from the beaks of the parents.
Speaker 4: They're doing a good job getting making sure that the little one gets some food. But the first born, I think it must be the first born, so because they came out like what one hatched and then the other hatch the next day. The bigger one I call him brutus because he is vicious with the other ones and he pecks them.
Speaker 1: How do you know it's not a female. It's she is vicious and she pecks them. I don't know what it is.
Speaker 2: They refer to them as refer to that as bonking it. You should come up with a different word it.
Speaker 4: What's really mean because that when they do that, it's like they bite the other one's head and the other one just collapses, and it's to establish pecking order.
Speaker 1: But it's it's.
Speaker 4: Kind of heartbreaking to watch. But they're all fine and everybody's getting food. I watched him yesterday.
Speaker 1: Did you know about the broad patch? The brood patch? The brood patch is a patch of featherless skin low on the abdomen that both Jackie and Shadow develop. A brood patch is supplied with blood vessels aiding in heat transfer. It's a heating blanket. That must be nice to have red blood cells. You have some, Yeah, couple a couple. So what time of day do they eat? Like when does the carcass get brought to the nest and the innerds get plucked or pecked? And when does that happen?
Speaker 4: They eat kind of all they There was one day I was watching on the chat because they've got people who actually know stuff about these guys.
Speaker 1: People, do you know more than you know? More than the people I talk to? It? Friends of Big Bear? Oh, come on?
Speaker 4: So anyway, they said that they fit like eleven times two days.
Speaker 1: Eleven time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so if you watch for an extent, like if you watch for an hour you're probably going to see a feeding because they do it pretty regularly, except they're not going to probably today because of the storm.
Speaker 1: Several small meals are better for your metabolism. There go. You don't want to have fat eagles. That's not true. Is that just what you tell yourself when you plow all that food into your mo? Is that what you saw me do? Today? Not today? Not yet? Still early? Well?
Speaker 2: Amy, you know I don't need you to team up with her against me.
Speaker 1: Some of us like bigger portions. I yes, you do. I'm sorry. I shouldn't be mean to you. Dad. Just day too late and you don't even have your taxes done enough I have you can wait until September for those I mean, I mean that would make me feel I didn't know you're a procrastinator. I'm not. That's the whole thing. That's why it's bothering me.
Speaker 4: I know.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna get them done because otherwise you just have to worry about it all summer. Can I just do my quick rant?
Speaker 2: If they know how much I owe, just tell me did I already pay that much?
Speaker 1: Are you going to give me a refund? Or do I need to write a check?
Speaker 2: Don't make me go through the rigamarole, because if I get it wrong, when I do it, you're gonna tell me anyway. Sorry, started sounded like a little drunk uncle there, a little bet.
Speaker 1: You just tell me anyway. I mean, I gotta write a check, don't I It's not it's not that hard. Those malls that you've been to that are empty at the end of Thanksgiving sounds like you've run out of all things to talk about. Football game's over. Tell Gary's bitching about taxes, the sweet potato pie is gone. And another thing.
Speaker 2: If you know, if you know how much how much I'm supposed to pay?
Speaker 1: Just tell me. Just tell me how much you're supposed to pay? All right, I don't care. I don't care. Just tell me. Don't don't make me scared. Where are my keys? I'm fine, I am fine. I'm fine.
Speaker 3: You're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI.
Speaker 1: Coming up a shocking story. A man severely emaciated he started a fire to escape his stepmother's captivity. Thirty two years old. He is he weighed just sixty eight pounds. Prosecutors call the situation something out of a horror movie.
Speaker 2: We're trying to kind of keep an eye on what's going on in the latest between Ukraine and Russia. We know that American envoy, American Envoy Steve Witkoff, is supposed to be meeting with President Putin of Russia to bring to him the thirty day ceasefire idea that was worked out between the United States and Ukraine. And right now President Trump is meeting with the Secretary General of NATO as we're getting word that Putin has agreed in principle to the thirty day ceasefire, but with some conditions. So when we get to Swamp Watch, we'll talk more about that.
Speaker 1: PSA, have you gotten the toll road texts?
Speaker 2: Did my daughter got one identical.
Speaker 1: To my husband got him? My girlfriends have got him that don't even live here anyway, The FBI now warning you not to respond to those scam road toll collection texts. They're happening to all of us. They're not real. They're not going to come arrest you. They're not going to come get you, especially if you know you're not on toll roads. And that's the thing. A lot of people do take toll roads, so you think it's legit, it's not. The FBI received more than two thousand complaints just this month alone. The texts impersonate state road toll collection agencies. They try to get you to reveal your financial information, credit, debit card, bank account, things like that. Don't do it. Go to the toll road website. If you think you have an outstanding thing, don't respond to those text messages.
Speaker 6: Erry, I don't appreciate your condescendingly asking Shannon what the temperature of snow is? Okay, well, what's the temperature of your IQ? Probably about seventy degrees?
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 6: Look. Don't let Gary bully you like that.
Speaker 1: Have a nice day, you know, do bully me? Bully hy a bit by?
Speaker 2: Ooh, I'm Gary.
Speaker 1: It's ringing in oz ooh.
Speaker 2: Not again.
Speaker 7: Hey, Gary and Shannon. This is Gonzo here, reporting live from ground zero to the ninety five block of Glenn Cannon, where a tornado hit at three fifteen in the morning last night. It took down a couple of trees, some homes got damage and vehicle so be careful out there. Crazy weather on the corner.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Gonzo on the corner.
Speaker 2: National Weather Service does say it was an EF zero.
Speaker 1: It's the lowest rating, but it's still an it still counts.
Speaker 2: A CHP is also escorting traffic up over the Grapevine. They said there's some snow flurries, but it's not really sticking snow visible from north of the Fort to hone exit to just south of Gorman. And the temperature right there's about thirty four degrees, so it'll it'll stop that. An hour ago, cal Trans District seven posted that on their Twitter page.
Speaker 1: The malls of our youth have disappeared. Right. No longer will you find a glamour shots or wet seal or Orange Julius.
Speaker 7: No.
Speaker 1: Malls have to kind of pivot, don't they, because for several reasons, we're not going to them anymore. Kids don't talk to each other after school walking around the mall. They've got smartphones for that. The COVID pandemic shut down a lot of in person shopping. We haven't gone back to that. It's just the way we do things these days. Asn't involved going to a shopping mall. So what are they going to fill all that space with? Well, it may be that wellness malls pick up where the Malls of our Youth left off.
Speaker 2: It's an interesting look at the way that commercial real estate works right now, with so many stores that over the last ten years or so. I mean, you can you can imagine wherever you live in southern California, you can imagine in a strip mall or even a normal what you would consider shopping mall that has lost twenty five percent, thirty fifty percent of its tenants and nothing has come to replace it.
Speaker 1: Or it's those stores that are.
Speaker 2: Like the I don't want to get anybody in trouble, but the cheap asss the worst quality products and they sell a million different things, and they're all plastic and they're all microplastics and they're just awful products.
Speaker 1: Oh, there used to be different grades of shopping malls. You know, you'd have like the Nordstrom, Bloomy's, you know, like South Coast Plaza, and then you get into you know, the Garden Grove mall or whatever. I'm not putting any malls down, and I'm making some of this up, but you know what I mean. Some of them are the high end stores, and some of them are all the places from the parts from China that you're talking about.
Speaker 2: You had the Banana Republic Mall, you had the Gap mall, and then you had the old Navy mall. Right, you know, they're all the same product, it's just different labels.
Speaker 1: There is Corda Madera where you were judged like Julia Roberts and Pretty Woman, and then there was Northgate where you could go and you could go to Missus Fields and Mervin's. You felt comfortable smoke. Did you did, anyway? So they're calling the new iteration of malls the wellness tenants or medtail businesses like medical retail and so dentists.
Speaker 2: You had to bring it up again.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but it's right here. Dentists are are in demand. I have seen more Dennis and Strip malls lately than I ever have, which makes it kind of almost gives me a vibe of user friendly, Like going to the dentist isn't a big production if it's right next to the trader.
Speaker 2: Joe's right the dentist I go to. There's a there's a breakfast restaurant right next to it. There's a gym that's a corner exactly. It's not a medical office building.
Speaker 1: So that's kind of nice. You just pop in, you get your teeth clean, you pop out, it's not the excavation that I went through at my root canal.
Speaker 2: PDS is a nationwide company, PDS Health, and it recruits young dentists out of dental schools and sets them up in some of the storefront locations around the country. Patients are often walk ins things like toothaches. Maybe they're neighbors. They want a dentist that's closer to home, and they just simply walk in.
Speaker 1: You know. I used to think of dentists like pilots, like I want the old ones. I like the old I like the old Vietnam era pilots. I like my dentists old. And then I had my first young dentist. And she's spectacular. She's younger than me, and she's wonderful, and I mean this was like fifteen years ago. She was younger than me and I and she's she's perfect. She's wonderful, and she knows all the things, and she knows all the new things, and she's quick and wonderful.
Speaker 2: Smaller hands to very much.
Speaker 1: So yeah, very tiny little fingers.
Speaker 2: It's not some guy who worked his way through dental school at a steel mill.
Speaker 1: Packing guy, right, good point, all right. The quinn app I think I'm going to sell you for this. Okay, this is.
Speaker 2: Redefining pleasure for Why is someone laughing back?
Speaker 1: There was that Keana laughing at me. I don't think she was laughing at you.
Speaker 2: Will you read us redefining pleasure for women?
Speaker 1: I'm going to pull up this is all about erotica. But it's like a podcast. It's an app, right, It's called Quinn gen Z is all about it. And I mean we're talking like twenty four million minutes every month that listeners sign in for for these scripted erotic scenarios. So what I'm gonna do is, I'm gonna pull up an excerpt from a romance novel and we're going to have you read it.
Speaker 2: When we come back Gary and Channon, we'll continue deb Mark Lot.
Speaker 1: Buckle your seat belt.
Speaker 3: Maybe you're listening to Gary and Shannon on demand from KFI AM six forty.
Speaker 5: Hey, since there's a Trader Joe's next to the dentists, at least in what Shannon said, maybe if she has to go for another root canal, she should drop by Trader Joe's first, get herself a little bit of buff chuck and set herself up so it's.
Speaker 1: Not such a terrible it's going to make a meaner then she.
Speaker 5: Can just uber home. Take care guys.
Speaker 1: Bye. That doesn't work. By the way, having cocktails before you go to the dentist to mellow you out, it's not a good idea.
Speaker 2: Plus, if you're drinking red wine. Oh yeah on your team, Oh my god, what trash mouth.
Speaker 1: You open your mouth and you're like, really seriously speaking of an update on the global trade war when it comes to alcohol, because that's the new focus today is all the alcohol. All right? Have you ever heard of The Queen's Guard. Well, in The Queen's Guard actor Andrew Scott from Fleabag the Hot Priest, You remember him. He plays a sword fielding hero, constantly battling his enemies and is in his own simmering sexual energy he has to fight against. This is not fantasy TV, and you never see his face. However, because The Queen's Guard is an audio series. This is among three big celebrity led shows that debuted this year on the erotica app Quinn. These are called Quinn Originals, and they're bringing star power to the app's largely user generated content library Audio Erotica. Folks I sent you a couple passages of some One of them is completely off limits, is it.
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Oh I didn't read them. I just sent them. Yeah, I could tell. Well, can you read from one of the passages? Yeah? You have to use your voice though, because people are paying good money for this. We'll see if you're If you're good enough to go on the app, I don't know if they're okay, I'll let you do your own production here. Well, I don't know. Is there music? I don't know. Let's just see your voice alone and not taint it with Smokey Robinson talking about his orgasm at eighty five.
Speaker 2: You sent me this one is from a woman's perspective. Oh. The other one was from a third person like you. It was just observing what was going on.
Speaker 1: Oh that's kind of creepy. Uh yeah, what did you send me? I don't know. I just googled erotic passage or excerpt.
Speaker 2: So this is an excerpt from a novel called Firecracker by Lucy Lennox and May Archer. And again, this is a woman apparently name.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it'll work from a woman's perspective, but I'm I'm willing to try it out.
Speaker 2: Okay, the character's name is Flynn. Okay, go ahead, I need an action.
Speaker 1: Action?
Speaker 2: Could I trust him? Thirty years have past experience suggest No? Did I want to? I pressed my nose to JT's neck and inhaled a breath of his cologne, clean summer sweat layered over something smoky and no doubt expensive, and felt my gut tighten with need. Yeah, yeah, I definitely wanted to let me take you to bed. Firecracker.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: His voice was low and easy, as if he had no reservations or stress about the decision. How nice for him. We shouldn't. Those two whispered words were as close to a denial as I could muster. And even as I said them, m oh, even as I said them, my fingers dug into the muscles beneath his T shirt, and my hand clenched his more tightly, begging him silently not to listen. Oh my all, hail Flynn, honeycut the king of mixed signals.
Speaker 1: Oh wait a minute, it's two dudes.
Speaker 2: WHOA I saw the pronouns?
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, when do they get to it? Are they just going to talk like women do? There's a lot of talking here, is Yeah, when do we get to the stuff. I guess it's part of it. There's got to be the build up.
Speaker 2: Once I'd locked the back door, I grabbed his wrist again and marched him across the lot to my little house. Then something, something, something. At times i'd suspected JT himself didn't feel that way.
Speaker 1: M boom boom.
Speaker 2: Now in the muted lamplight, I looked at him more closely. Now that said, no sex yet. Huh, dude, suck man, what's going on? He's just going to talk about it and your fingernails and stuff. It took a big step until his chest brushed against mine. His hands grabbed my hips.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we're runing the genre. I think I think we've earned it. I think we've held that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, shorts, Oh they're okay. My heart thumped harder as my lung struggled to take in enough oxygen. When his finging, what did they do? I almost fell off the stairs. Ah, that's not magical, the good. I am intentionally skipping the good.
Speaker 1: It's got to be something you can read out loud. That's a good part, but not too dirty. Come on.
Speaker 2: When I got up to my bedroom loft, I was relieved to see I'd left it fairly tidy that morning. The bedding was thrown into place, and there weren't any dirty clothes on the floor.
Speaker 1: So he is gay. That's why I said, right.
Speaker 2: Well, Now, had I looked down at the bottom and seen the the ads for the upcoming novels, I would have clearly seen that it was.
Speaker 1: It was a couple of dudes. Does that one say sweet as honey? Yes? Interesting?
Speaker 2: The other one says hot as heller.
Speaker 1: So there's no like in the no, not in the excerpt.
Speaker 2: That's why they it's a call an excerpt so that you'll go buy Firecracker. Oh, I see it's like a movie trailer.
Speaker 1: Yet, yes, that's exactly what it is. That's stupid. Give him that app anymore. I liked it when you were the woman though.
Speaker 2: I closed the distance between us and pressed my mouth against hers. She was surprised, but kissed back with a ferocity that sent sparks through my body.
Speaker 1: Are these two women? No, this is a different one.
Speaker 2: That's actually from a You could have used that excerpt. You didn't do anything work, I apologize. I don't know what kind of websites pop up.
Speaker 1: All right, we will, we'll clean it up and we will go to swamp watch, or we'll talk about alcohol costing more and where we stand with Putin and his relationship with Ukraine and the United States. Will have all of that very important information for you when we come back.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.