Speaker 1: Hey, this is Fredgreen of golf Smarter with our sixth installment of spring Back into Golf Season with the late Tony Manzoni. This episode was part two of our conversation originally number four hundred and nine for members only from November twenty thirteen. His book The Loss Fundamental is available on Amazon, and his DVD, which we converted to a private link online, is also available when you write to me. For the most comprehensive information ever collected on Tony, please go to golfsmarter dot com and if you'd like access to the video, please write to me directly golf Smarter podcast at gmail dot com or click on the Heyfred button when you visit golfsmarter dot com.
Speaker 2: For members only. Golf Smarter number four hundred and nine, published on November five, twenty thirteen. A good Golfer's Arms never passed the Body with Tony Manzoni. This is golf Smarter. Welcome back to golf Smarter for members only.
Speaker 1: Tony.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Fred, Thank you again for sticking around and recording forget the recording, for sticking around and answering more of my questions.
Speaker 3: I just love it. Fred.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's very kind of you. There's many things that you said in our last conversation that I want to bring back and get more detail from you out of that. Like when you talked about being under pressure and hooking the ball. You said, when you were playing competitively when you were young, whenever you were under pressure, you would hook the ball. Now forty to fifty years later and you look back on that, do you know what that was?
Speaker 3: Sure? I know what it was. As I got into learning to be more of a connected rotating or having a connected rotating swing, I realized that the moving of the of the left arm the right arm for that matter, but to the left round when you go back in the back swing, no matter how you take it back to your left round goes somewhat across your chest, okay, and it connects somewhere near the left arm pit and the right arm pit. So that's why you see a lot of tour players will put a towel across their chest and then put their arms on the top of the toe and hit shots that way. What they're doing, you know, it's it's restrictive in a way, but they're teaching themselves that the body moves the arms, the arms will move off the body and then back on the body. It's not to say that you can't do that, and there have been some good players that did that, but I don't think they had very long careers. Without naming a lot of guys, there's a lot of guys on the senior tour now that can't play a lit that were champions on the regular tour, and it's because their game was based on disconnecting and connecting, swaying to the right and swaying to the left and so forth. But in my swing, what I realize is that when my arms get to impact before my left side is clear, then my because the head is hairier than the handle. If you swing the arms away from the body and just swing a golf club, you'll see that the club head turns over prior to impact because because of the weight, the weight of the handle way to the head. The head weight will roll the clubhead. So these people that try to teach people to roll the clubhead, if you just swing your arms ahead of your body, it's gonna roll. If I want to hook a ball around a corner, I just keep my back of the target and throw my arm forward and that clubcase is closed. A foot from the ball, so I'm gonna I'm gonna snipe of it. Okay, well that's what I did under pressure, because under pressure we all get a little fast on the down. Can't help it. And I didn't realize that the faster my arms went, the slower my body went. So they didn't correspond and they won't. You throw your arms ahead of your body, and there's a saying the good golfer's arms never passed the body, never passed the body. And you say, wait a minute, I see the club, but it's not because if you follow the turning of the bottom, the club is standing in front of the body, but it's not going past it. So this is how it works, real simple. You stand up to the ball. I like you to set up sixty forty. You take the club back. It goes across your chest and it connects somewhere high on the left tectoral muscle. Okay, when you get to the top, instead of letting the arms come free of the body and pulling the arms down, keep the position that you have at the top and rotate your chest area. And now I'm not gonna say hips, because if you're on that left side, you don't have to throw your legs first or any of that craziness. Unwind which wound up. Unwind your chest and shoulders around your pivot leg, pulling your arm through, and if you'll unwind properly, you'll be unwinding to the left, just like on the backswing you had to unwind to the right. So when you unwind, your body's going to turn to the left. So when you finish your golf swing, your right shoulder should pointing at the target. The center of your chest should be pointing quite a bit left of the target. And if you watch the tour ladies or men's you'll see that that's how most of the players are finishing. No one's jilted back with high hands. Everything is around because players are finding that's a more effective way to play. So when we're connected, and and I mentioned that at the right arm, sure, because the right arm can't come loose and go out away from the body on the downswing because the elbow will be out of position. So that closed armpit of the right side is just as important as a closed armpit on the left side. So with both of them closed, the right with the right arm does in the backswing is you turn the right arm folds to a position and that's and that's your position. But that's how you get the club back. You don't do it with your wrist cock. You do the arm fold, okay, and it sets the wrist so that the club head or the chef, the shaft in your left arm four form kind of an l position. Okay, we want to be position. That's too much risk. We want this elow position the club. Your back is to the target. The club looks three quarters and if you look at the tour today, you'll see most everybody like that. You don't see that past parallel look except for a few out there. And they have one commonality. They get wild with the driver. They don't know if it's going right or left under pressure. Okay, the ones that are compact, they're popping it in the center all the time. Louis lusehavn just a bunch of them that are rotators. But anyway, so we're at the top of the swing. The left arm is connected high in the pectoral the right arm you can be holding a handkerchief under the armpit. The elbow is not touching the bout it just the armpit is closed. You just take that and you rotate to the left around the pivot leg, which is your left leg if you're right handed, and you just keep rotating and the club comes last. And it's kind of like a hockey player. That the action of a hockey player with a stick to a puck. It's a one piece action. It's not a throw of the arms, is a rotation of the body. On my video, you can see that little exercise I do that makes you instantly feel this. And if there's any one thing that you must do, it's fats. And you know, Ben Hogan said, you take all your natural instincts and do the opposite, you'll have a pretty good golf swing. And he's absolutely right, because when the ball is down on the ground and we've got the club in our hands, the tendency for us is to hit down on that golf ball to throw those arms. And we've been told hit down on the ball. If you have the club, let's say a shoal or heighth, and you swing it to the other side, the club has to come down to go up, so there's no need to try to hit down because all you're going to do is you're going to great tension, and you're going and you're going to get steeper than you should. The swing has a shape to it. It's it's kind of a U shape, so there is a bottom to it, but you don't need to do anything to get there. It has to get there for it to go back up on the other side. So I never advocate hitting down on a golf ball because then you're thinking about impact too much. And then what we get into anticipating impact, which causes a tension. And that's why all the beginners. You see beginners top the ball and the guy says, you looked up, okay, And then you got their faces glued to the ground and glued to the ball, and they still top it that you looked up. That's such a bunch of beloging. It's just you tighten up. And so when you anticipate impact, you're grabbing that handle tighter, you're getting ready to hit something. Okay. That shortens the muscle, pulls the club to the to the center or top of the ball, and you roll it on the ground. So when we're playing golf, and as I teach all my students, I'm teaching you where your body is a relationship with that golf ball on the back swinging on the through swing, and that body has to be on the ball on the coil, and then the whole right side goes past the ball on the through swing and the ball is in the way of that action. If you focus on that back of that ball or hit down on that ball, try to keep your head down on that ball. You don't hit a lot of shots behind the ball because when we start, when we put that golf club behind the ball, if we bring it right back that spot, we're going to go divot ball, and we don't want to do that. We want to go ball divt. So there has to be a forward and is somewhere in that motion to hit the ball first and then take the divot. That's the through motion. So when for all of you out there that hit the ball thin or hit behind it, that's because you are behind it. You're not supposed to be behind it when you hit it. It's supposed to be moving through it. You're supposed to be on the left side. So don't buy into that crap here all the time. Stay behind it, keep your head back behind it. That's nuts. There's no sport that you do that you hit a tennis ball, you move forward. You throw a punch, you move forward. You throw a baseball, you move forward. You got to move forward. You got to move through it with a Now I'm not saying that your heads go way forward, but that's not the golf sing. If you rotate past that golf ball, that club has come and last, and it's going to hit the ball with all the force of your core. When you try to stay behind the ball, all you're using assuming your arms forward of your body, which is the worst thing you can do if you're going to try to not only hit it far, but hit it straight.
Speaker 2: The golf swing is supposedly a circular like if you draw, If you follow the club head around, it's a circle correct around your body.
Speaker 3: It's a rotational it's a rotational move. That's the only way that our body moves. When you walk, you rotates, so it's a rotation live in. Rotation doesn't mean straight back and straight through. That's why when people say take the club straight back, you know that's really not that's really not correct. Because the body's turning, the club has to stay in front of you relative to where the body is, So when the body's turning if the club's in front of you, but it'll be inside the line of the It'll be inside the ball line. Is it must be. You can't take the club back on the ball line and swing it down the ball line. And I hear that all the time. Oh yeah, you kept that club going right down the ball, lie Boloni. You can't do that. The club the toll has to be turning because you're turning. Okay, you got to trap that golf ball. The more you push that club down the line, than what's going to happen just out of the construction of the club the neck, because that's where the shaft is. The neck is going to lead that club and the toad is going to be back and you're going to hit everything right, you know, or slice the ball, and the blade's going to open up. The more you push it straight back at the target, the more the blade is can open up. That club has to come back. You know. The path of the swing is from square, It goes inside, back to square, back to inside. So that's the shape of the golf swing, and that's that's what your body is doing. It's like a hub and a spoke. Your body is rotating and the club is rotating relative to what your body's doing. That's why good players connect the arms of the body, and the arms move where the body takes them. They're not trying to take the club back and put it in a position because it's then it becomes disconnected to the body and then they've got to re rout the arms back to where the elbow hits that inside of the hip area to hit the golf ball. Oh well, that can do that on a consistent basis. Am I making you crazy? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Am I making you crazy? Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely. There's so much going on right now in my head. It's like there's.
Speaker 3: If I if you were in front of me and I set you up and you had some idea of the golf thing you've been playing a while, Okay, but you know I slice everything, all right, okay everything or whatever. I show you that when your arms go three of the body on the downs and the club is either going to roll over or you're going to hang on to it and it's going to stay open. And that's why you can get up and hook one ball and then you guard the next one and.
Speaker 2: You pull it. Yeah. So when when you're when you're addressing the ball, and you're you're setting up with the ball with the club face. You're look, you're staring at the ball. Your club face is sitting just behind it when you're coming So, but when you come through on your swing, that is not the base of your swing, right, that's the base of it would be in front of the ball, right, the bottom part of yours, the bottom part of the swing would be. You know, when you're falling through, because you want to hit the ball and then hit the ground. Do you want to make the divot after you hit the ball.
Speaker 3: Yes, Well, it's that turning through impact that brings the club so that the ball is being struck on the down swing, so it hits the ball, hits the turf when you're in the proper position, just prior to impact. Okay, the club is coming down, it strikes the ball, and it takes a little bit of divot when you get behind the ball, when you have too much weight on the right side. It is trying to hit the golf ball. You're going to come down in behind the ball. You're going to bring the club kinda where you have it to start with, so you're going to go div it ball. And that's how most people hit it. They take real deep dits, and even when they hit a good shot, they still hit them a little flabby because they're in the wrong position. They're behind the golf ball. If you look at a picture at impact of a good player, you'll see that his chest area is not in the same position he was at a dress. Like some people try to say, get back to the dress. His left side is open, it's turned to open, okay, and the right side is now driving past the golf ball. If you look at it you want to see a great swing, Look at anakis or instant. That girl had more birdies of two and three inches because she hit is so dead at the hole because she was turning towards the target and that arms were being pulled, so she was trapping that club dead square. So she unwolmed properly. The ball went right where she unwelmed to. And that's what we're looking for to learn to hit the ball without a lot of side spin. Now, when I want to cut it or draw it, I do it by memory. I just set up to the ball and feel like I'm going to do it. But there is a process of doing it that I practiced for a lot of hours as a young man, but I primarily hit the ball with very little movement on it, especially with my irons. Because of this action, I could remain in the past. To hit it near the pin, I had to aim at a club or two to the right of the of the green and draw it in. I don't do that anymore. I can. I can got pin hunting because of this action. I know. I'm not gonna put very much side spin on the ball. Side's beIN comes from the club face closing and opening and impact. That's all it is. I mean, it's not a big secret. So when you swing a free arm swing, that club is going to roll. I mean, anybody that's listening to me, you know, I'll just take a golf club out and swing it with your arms a little bit away from you, and you see that the weight of the club will turn the club over, and it's going to turn it over generally before you hit the golf ball. And then the next time, because you're scared of death that's gonna happen, you're gonna hang on to it tight, so you're gonna hold the blade open. So neither one of them are any good. You can't come off. So you've got to have a golf swing that if it's it's tight as heck and you got trouble right and trouble left, that you can get up there and free swinging and know absolutely no that you're not going to touch either bad area, that you're going to carve it into the into the free into the fairway one way or another. You're gonna power slice it or a soft draw, but you're gonna put it in the fairway. And I can still do that. I just can't, you know, I just can't hit it far enough to really really compete. If they put me up on that Ladies teas or or old iyed teas, I'll play with anybody.
Speaker 2: You just told me in the last episode that you're hitting the ball to sixty five on your drives.
Speaker 3: What do you mean, Yeah, that's short compared to what people hit it now.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm well, yeah, yeah, if you're playing.
Speaker 3: With l they played blue cheese, I play white cheese, and so I'm I'm at least a little bit up with them, or sometimes it will past them with the drive. You know, when I created the Mixed Team Championship that was on television for what sixty years. What we did is we we figured out what women would need. Professional women would need to compete against men. They need seventy five yards because they not only needed distance on the drive, but they needed on the second shot so that they could hit into a par four a drive in seven or eight iron, because most men are hitting those kind of clubs. Prior to that, Prior to that, the gals were playing the club. The course is so long that no one was reaching par fives and two, and they were hitting long irons into par fours. And when we came up with this concept, this is many many years ago, that tournament kind of changed the way the girls perceived the golf course should be because a hard liner said, no, no, you're making it too easy. And I said, look, men are shooting nineteen or twenty hunder par every tournament the winners are, and you're shooting six and seven. The perception then from the general public is, well, you're not playing as good because you're shooting higher scores, but you're playing a lot tougher golf course. You know, they were set up like it was like setting up a men's golf course of seventy eight hundred yards that's the kind of golf the women playing it for a long time, and we changed that. But we found that the average guy off that pops the ball out there, they need about seventy five yards and then then they can compete. Well, that's the same by going up. You know when I go up on a tee, you know, I go up about thirty yards. Well that makes it that that has thirty yards of my t shirt. Now I'm in the game now. So in the history, we don't play. We don't play championship teas. You play to have a.
Speaker 2: Good time, right, you play the white teas, and it's like so proud, Yeah, I'm proud to play up.
Speaker 3: I mean, I love it. If some sometimes I play with clients, they say, well, look we're going to play the senior teas. I love it, can't can't wait. You know, I don't have any ego about that. Good for you, because I know what my limitations are. But if you put me one hundred and fifty yards from the green every very hole, I'm going to make a lot of birdies.
Speaker 2: M In the history of golf, are are different sets of tea is a relatively new thing.
Speaker 3: No, no, no, They're always most golf courses have ladies. He's the men's ties, but most golf course now they're in a lot. I've been on a lot of golf courses where the ladies seas were twenty yards further than the men's that's just that's a joke, to be honest with you. They should be pretty close to one hundred yards on every single hole for the ladies to enjoy the game like men. Do you see gals out there with a driver on a par three? Well, you you put guys, you make the par three long enough before they have to get drivers. You wouldn't see very many pars, okay, even at the big boys. So so, I mean, it's just that it becomes an oversight when people design golf courses. They design them for the men, and they don't consider the cows. They put okay, put the red teas here, but they don't do it. They don't do it mathematically based on how far the most of the gals hit it. So you know, when the gals shoot break one hundred, they go crazy, they pop the champagne and give everybody a pin. That's a joke. If you put them in the right place, they're going to be shooting in the eighties and the good ones will get in the seventies.
Speaker 2: Well, when you say that the courses are being when you say the courses are being designed for man, I think that the courses is being designed for PGA Tour events because they're just making their courses longer and longer and longer, which is playing into their hands of these guys who have who can hit the ball in mine own half and they don't.
Speaker 3: Have the there's a perception, and it happens at our own valley where they'll they'll build what they call the championship feet and they'll put them back in the corner where they you know, the desire didn't even want them to be okay, because they think that by doing that they're going to bring more members in. But typically these clubs, the membership is three hundred thousand. Well, how many young people do you know that will plunk down three hundred thousand dollars to join a club. So it's usually older, successful people that don't hit it very far. So they make these teas so that they can so that they can say, well, ours is a seventy three hundred or seventy four hundred rated course. Blah blah blah. Meaningless doesn't mean a thing because nobody plays them right, you know, and it makes the game slow. And you get these you get these guys that are eighteen handicaps going back there and they and they ruin the game for the people behind them. I don't I'm not advocating that we put the teas up where you're on the fringe of the green team off, but you've got to you've got to put you know, we know there's a mean average of what your membership hits the ball. We know what they hit it, and that's whe the golf course should be played from and for ladies, you know, come on, how many gals hit it on? How many gals hit it one hundred and seventy five yards? Okay, so you can't put them on a three hundred and seventy yard hole or a four hundred yard hole. That's crazy. I mean, they're they're beating a three wood on a third shot. You know what kind of fun is that. That's why I say I'm I'm very sensitive to dec issue because I've worked with a lot of lady professionals in my life and I've given them zillion lessons to gals and the big majority. I mean that you know, eighty percent, you know, can't hit it two hundred yards can't. Okay, So now they get on a golf poole that's three ninety, you know, I mean if they get on in two it's you know, they might have a heart attack. They shouldn't be that way. They should be if they hit their good drive, they should have some kind of an iron or a rescue club to hit, but some kind of an iron. It's just it's it's unfairly set up. And again, I think it's the responsibility of a golf course and the management to understand these things and then sit down and come up with an idea. Okay, what do we think our gals hit the ball? And then plot out a hole so that they can hit some kind of a mid iron into that green, and that's what the t should be, okay, And then you'd see that the galls have a lot more fun and the game is more playable for them if you look at the scores. I mean, you know, I give lessons and a lot of clubs. They invite me to teach, and I every now and then there's a tournament one hundred and twenty one hundred and fifteen hundred and ten. Every now and then you get somebody in the nineties, and that's the that's the field. And these are girls have been playing a long time, you know, because they're older. Yeah, you get the you know, the young members twenty one or twenty two or twenty three that married some guy. Well, some of those guys can play, they're fresh out of college and they can pop the ball. But most of the girls are in the fifties and the sixties. Where are they going to get the golf ball? You know? And a lot of them, a lot of them were taught at that age because their husband played golf and they were, come on, you got to learn, we'll play golf together, that kind of stuff.
Speaker 2: Do you have the same frustrations that I have when you go out and play with people, and they especially and of course they've not played to go, well, what's the distance let's play from this team got sixty nine? They want into yards and they don't look at the rating slope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly, I know that a lot of courses, even the men's let's just say the white cheese because they have so many different colors now. But let's say the back is the blue cheese, in the middle is the white tees. A lot of times the white tees are you know, ten yards ahead of the blue cheese, which is crazy, it's ludicrous. But again there's no thinking done at the start of every day when those tees are set. Someone should be setting them based on what the club professional. You know that he set that golf course up for the superintendent. You can't expect the superintendent and in most cases do not play the game. And the superintendent's not setting the teases his workers who probably don't play the game. So they just cut it down and put the team markers there with no thought that somebody's got to play from here. So the golf course, the golf course plays way beyond the slope, rating the way harder right, right, And that's that's you know, we talk about slow play. That's one of the reasons we have slow play because with the long iron on their third shot, right, it has nothing to do with their ability. It has to do that it's too long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people are playing from the wrong tees, their egos getting the way, they slow down the pace of play. They're scoring high numbers when they shouldn't be. It's just it's just this endless cycle of garbage.
Speaker 3: There, right, and it's rooting the game for a lot of people, and it's costing. It's costing a lot of money because you know, if you have a lot of slow play, you can't get players on the golf course. But a lot of it goes back to management and the planning of where those teas should be. There has to be calculations made based on where you think the majority of people hit the golf ball so that they can enjoy this sport. You know, when you're a successful man and you've worked all your life, you don't want to play golf. That's beating the heck out of you all the time, and you're never going to say this is too hard for me. No one wants to do that, you know, no one wants to admit to that. So what management has to has to do is put them put that make that golf course not a sense of easy, but fair, not fair. If you can't reach a part four and two, if you can hit the ball, let's say two hundred and ten yards, you should be able to You should be able to hit that green in two Okay, So you can't. You can't put a high handicap around a four hundred and seventy yard hole or four hundred and sixty year old. That's a part five for them. And that's how. And that doesn't take away from the golf course being a great course, because the greatness comes in the design. It doesn't come in the length.
Speaker 2: Right right, because a short course, a short course can be very punishing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, you know, I've played course that were sixty six hundred yards long. They'll give you a battle every time you play it. But it's it's because you have to be accurate, you have to hit the left, left the right, or right the left and those kinds of things. But it's not because you can't reach the green. I mean, that's just stupid golf. To me. That's stupid golf. It really is. And unfortunately, there's so much emphasis on distance today in today's world that you know, I get these kids at young ages and they're all they're all swinging out of their shoes, and I say, what are you going to do when you're playing a twenty yard fairway? I mean, you're done. So that's part and parcel of the problem. We're exposed to everybody hits at three thirty three, forty and some guy out there fifty years old, you know, you feel impotent, for God's sakes, But it's it's because we've been we've been sol a bill of goods. And the game is never intended to be a driving contest, you know, it really wasn't. It's a game of strategy. It's a game of ball placement. And to me, I think they're ruining the game by making the courses longer and longer and longer. For who, I mean for who?
Speaker 1: Who?
Speaker 3: Who can seventy three one hundred yards is a long golf course? Who plays it? Yeah? Maybe a kid that beats it out there, but the average guy, man, I mean, you know you can't if you can't get home into what the heck? You know, time and time again, sometimes you know there will be one of those holes out there that you say, oh, well this one, I just got to be hope, be happy with a bogie. But you can't do that for eighteen holes. Right.
Speaker 2: A question about and now I know the obvious answer as well, because the club is longer, but is do you should you have a different swing? And that's a loaded question. With your driver versus your nine iron.
Speaker 3: No, it's going to be it's gonna be flatter because the ball is farther away from you. But no, conceptually and feel wise, no. And the difficult part is tempo because we want to swing the driver faster than we do a full swing, let's say with an eight iron, and it shouldn't be it will the club will be moving faster because the swing is wider, because the club is longer, and the distance is going to be derived by that longer lever. But you don't try to swing harder. I mean, one of the great things I ever heard was Trevino was saying that, you know, he's the one I played with Nicholas. He was so long. I didn't watch him hit it. And he said, I used to try to hit it two thirty eight, and I would hit it two seventy, but when I tried to hit it two seventy, I hit it two thirty eight, which I just thought, said, man, that that should be in the Bible, for God's sakes. I mean, it was so absolutely correct, because when you attempt to try to hit the ball harder, your swing gets faster in the backswing, shorter in the backswing and tighter at impact. That's why a lot of times, you know, we have a shot and we think, ah, that's a six arm, but I'm going to hit an easy five iron, and we fly the green. We say, what the heck I hit that? I've hit that fire iron way farther than because you relax and you let yourself get that club all the way back and all the way through because you weren't trying to hit it. You just want he swung the club. You know. There's a lot to that, you know, And and unfortunately we get that driver and I hand. All of a sudden, you see their jaws tightening up. And that's not it wasn't intended that. What I tell my boys, the driver is a placement club, not a distance club. It's a place. It's a club to place the ball on the fairway where you've got a good angle to the green. That's all it is. Don't buy into you've got to hit a three fifty or three forty or three thirty or any of those numbers. Let that happen. Fine. If you can do that, fine, but you don't try to make it happen because you're just going to you're gonna get handsy, you're gonna get your arms ahead of your body, and you're gonna hit it all over the place. And you know, without naming guys on tour, there's a couple of guys that win a tournament. The next week, you know they're at the very bottom because they're all over the place. So when they're timing that big swing, they're okay, but they can't do it every week. And then you got the same guys in the middle of the pack every single week, and then every now and then then they break through. But when they don't win, they don't drop to the very bottom. They're always up in contention. And those are the guys that are in control of that club hit. They're not out there trying to hit it three fifty right now.
Speaker 2: That's an excellent point. Pick a spot in the fairway and get there. Don't and be fair to yourself, don't try to crush it. Just try to get to your spot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just all you're trying to do is set the whole up. That's what the driver does is sets the whole off of the next shot. Put it a little bit on the left center of the fairway, so you're coming in at the right angle. You're not hitting over a bunk or whatever. I mean. Hogan looked at the faraway and quadrants, and he picked out a quadrant and put it there. Now, you know, he was pretty special about hitting the golf ball. But if you're if you've cut everything, then get over to the far right of the tee and aim it to the far left of the fairway and let it cut back into the fairway. That's why you're using the whole ferway. Aim it to the right edge of the fairway and let your draw work in the into the fairway. Now you're using the whole fairway. What a lot of people do. They stand in the middle of the tee and they hit it. They're trying to hit it right straight down the middle. So if they push it, it's going off the ferry. If they pull it, it's going off the ferry because they're only using half of the fairway. You understand what I mean by that, Yeah, and so we In most cases, you don't stand in the middle of the tee. You either stand on the left side or the right side, based on the shape, on the shape of your of your drive. You know, I hit a little cut. Some people hit a little draw uh or if my typical shot cut or my typical shot draws, and then I'll play that with the driver. I'm I'm I'm gonna position myself on the tee to take advantage of the whole pharaweh instead of half of it. So early on.
Speaker 2: In the last episode when we were talking about you know that everybody's swing is unique and it's you know, it's really all about being square at contact. Correct, that's correct, okay, And so there is no perfect swing, is this what we're saying?
Speaker 3: Absolutely, that's not possible. That's why the fairways are forty to fifty yards wide and so forth, because there always is going to be a little variancid impact, a little open, a little closed. The more connected and the more rotational you are in your golf swing, the more that you're going to bring the club fairly consistently to the ball, and you're going to you'll know where the club head is. That's a big key is knowing where the club hit is. So if you're rolling your forearms over trying to hit a golf ball, there's no way to know to feel where it is, you know, But when you're when you're rotating your body and that's pulling the arms, and the arms are connected to the body. Then the arms feel like a lever connected to a gear, and as you turn the lever, the lever moves moves forward, so you're never swinging your arms freely. All this stuff about a free arm swing, it should be in the comic books because it isn't reality. The freer you armed swing, the more the club has a chance to be open or closed. We don't want that.
Speaker 2: Well, Tony, once again, you've been a wealth of information. I so enjoy speaking with you. Thank you so much for your time to these last two episodes. And again, people, if Tony intrigues you at all, there's a lot of calls to action that we've gone through. One is make sure that you check out the video, the Golf Smarter TV, the video that we did together, because it's going to teach you a lot in a short amount of time.
Speaker 3: Well, Fred, I'd like to just close with one thing. Please, for the people out there that have listened to this. You know there's a lot of pontificating going on, but if you really want to get into this game, find someone that really understands rotation and connection. If they're not using those words to you and trying to get you to hoist the club up the air and then bring it down. You know, just run. Find somebody, just like going to a doctor. Find somebody that understands the simplicity of the golf swing. It isn't rocket science. It's really kind of simplistic once you connect all the parts and then just move them in a rotational move. If you find someone like that and that's patient, you're going to grow in the game and you're going to start enjoying the game. And then go to your golf pro if you belong to a club, and tell them a little bit about why don't we set this golf course up based on what the average guy hits it off the tee and I think your membership will be very happy. And you don't have to say we're moving it up. Just put the tea in a place where you were common said warrants it, and boy, I'll tell you what, the game will be enjoyable for everybody at that club. And you can make the golf course hard. You can narrow the fairways with roughs, you can put the pin in the funny positions so you don't have to worry about the being tough enough