Speaker 1: This is the Sean Salisbury Show.
Speaker 2: That's beautiful.
Speaker 3: Let's get back out to those phone lines. Read you're up first, good.
Speaker 4: Morning, Hey, they're going Sean and Brian. Hey man, I want to wish old Biscuit every birthday as well, uh Sehn and Brian Man. I wanted the original callers when seven ninety first started on this station here, and I've been on every every one of the sports UH commentators UH calls and talked to everybody from Charlie Pullelo to all those guys, and even when Greg and Andy and Sean your first show also with Madden, all those guys. Man, that is just a tremendous name to hear this station driving the way it is. So let me get to what I was I've been putting out there. Sean, and you tell me what you think you're And Brian, if someone taught you something how to run an offense and the person was available, would you hire that person? And I'm speaking of Kevin someone and I know people been hitting me bad time all but he had a d W A DUI. I'm like that has nothing to do with his coaching ability and run in an offense. Cliff Kings Cliff Kingsberry learned under the system he's actually running from Kevin Somemler while he was at U of eight. He took it to Texas, take and took it into the NFL. And not only that, the same guy we're talking about, Cliff Kingsberry, the same guy Andy Reen went down and learned what Patrick did well in that offense. So I would hope the Texan will put aside the good boy nature and give Kevin some of the chance to coach CJ through this and what he needs to bring his offense into a good offense. What do you think?
Speaker 1: Sean and Brian, thank glad, you appreciate it. Go ahead, Brian, follow up, Gradu, we appreciate it. Thanks for the nice station compliment. Brothers, thank you.
Speaker 3: From everything I understand about Kevin Sumlin. Really smart football guy. Obviously been at the college level. He was here in Houston, he went to Texas A and M. I think it was at Arizona State at one point, Arizona. That's Arizona. Sorry. But also there's a side of Kevin Sumlin and this I mean, I've read it in reports, I've watched documentaries. He likes to he likes to have some fun.
Speaker 2: Nothing wrong with that.
Speaker 3: There's nothing wrong with that. And again, everybody has their own personal life. But I would question if you would be able to get that, if that would affect his business life, if you were to become the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 1: And Reggie, I don't think now, just from my vantishment, I don't know. Hell, I don't even know if they're considering him, if they'd interview him, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Does he want to?
Speaker 1: He last I wasn't either coordinator passing game coordinator at Maryland or one of the schools in a Big Ten as of recent didn't. I just isn't he the coordinator somewhere?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: He was the co offensive coordinator tight ends coach for Maryland.
Speaker 2: Maryland. There you go.
Speaker 1: So, and we know someone has had some when he was the head coach that Houston, right, and then when he went to textaning him, he's had some prodigious offenses. Make no mistake about it, Reggie, I don't think the and I just from my people make mistakes. I don't think that Kevin someone's the driving thing would affect anybody from interviewing interviewing him. Do you know, maybe some maybe it would. I'm not saying I'm not saying it's okay, mistake can do it. But you know he's already hired somewhere, I mean with Maryland, and people still you know, hold his football acumen in pretty high regard. So I don't think that'd be the reason. The question is does he have the philosophy and the way he plays offense? Does it fit with what Demiko wants to do and with with the direction he and Nick Cassaria and they want to go with the offense. I think it just comes down to I mean, hell, I don't know if he's required, if he's asked for an interview, or if they've requested it. I mean, I mean, from what I've read there, his name hasn't come up. But I don't think it's going to be because of that. That would be I mean, listen, and if it was because that, bring him in. If that's the case, if you were going to interview and bring him in and let him tell you what happened, I'm always about that. Just be transparent enough secrets here. So but he does no offense and REGI I think it comes down to with him is and the Texans would be if it ever came to an interview. Does he philosophically in the NFL have the same his what his offensive approach be something in the physical nature because the Texas A and M. The one thing that got questioned was late in seasons they physically wore down. They did, and you know they'd start off five and zer and then all of sudden they'd wear down and get pushed around a little bit in the SEC and get you know when I said big but you know he's in the big ten now at Maryland. But I'm talking about when he was at when he was at A and M, that they wore out a little bit physically against the teams that could push him around a tad right, And so that's something that I think that that is a a point that you'd want to address. But put him on the board and do all the things you want to do. I think it would just come down to do you like his offensive approach and does he fit here? And does it fit with Strouds? And I don't know that answer. And if they don't interview him, I don't think it just simply be because of some off field situation unless I'm crazy, But I'm always one of those guys come in and tell me what happened.
Speaker 2: Don't let me hear it from somebody else. I want to hear it from you.
Speaker 1: So but he has been employed elsewhere and he knows football. But I don't know what his interest or their interest in him is. There is no interest at least that's why Piers Hell.
Speaker 3: Knows Ian Rappaport, Adam Schefter, a couple of local guys. They would know the listed these guys. He's not on the list that I saw. He's not so the list that I've got. Obviously, Clint Kubiak was one of the top, but he just got a job with the Seattle Seahawks as their offensive coordinator. Ohio State offensive coordinator Chip Kelly is the most popular name. Los Angeles Rams passing game coordinator Nick Kyley, in Minnesota Vikings quarterback coach Josh McCown. Those are some of the names that are continuing to pop. But so we'll see. I would say that Chip Kelly is the most popular name as of right now. He didn't he wasn't he there when No, he was not there offensive for that's what he was. He was UCLA head coach coach. And I mean it was one of the odd things we're seeing more of these days. But Chip Kelly was the head coach at UCLA and left to go be the offensive coordinator for Ohio State, and this is his first year doing it, and they won the national championship because Bill O'Brien was the offensive coordinator.
Speaker 1: He took Boston and that job wouldn't have been open if Bill stays there, because Bill then went take the job Boston College, so it opened it up and ship there. I think the method to that is maybe Chip didn't feel like UCLA was what he wanted, so with the offensive coordinator job, get paid what a couple million bucks to go do that, and you know, post your score and then turn around and have five other places, whether it's NFL or college football, interested in you as a head coach. And I don't really know if Chip wants a future as a head coach at a bigger program and college or if he wants to get back in the NFL like he did when he was in Philly. So now you know you're gonna play fast paced, and you're gonna play work quick and play fast paced.
Speaker 2: And the one there's a misconception.
Speaker 1: About guys like Chip Mike Leach, God rest his soul in chip Kelly and we had a call and it was in talking about that and I think it was biscuit. The one thing about chip Kelly, these guys want to run the ball. Ohio State ran the ball, so they do what they want to spread different. Oh yeah, they want to run the ball now. But he also wants to back and past, you know, past catching and stuff. So listen, play fast and you know he's on turbo all the time, rolling right. So there is that because Leech always tell me it. Sean and Lane Kivin they want to run it. That they do when they get Remember when Judkins within Old Miss like led the nation before he transferred to you know to Ohio State. Hell, he was a monster at ole Miss. They do want to run it. The coaches that are in the spread and you know that that fast paced offense because they know you can't get to a certain point if you don't run it and play physical. So I tell, why wouldn't you have Chip Kelly in for an interview at least and let him talk, for that's my thing.
Speaker 2: So it costs you a playing flight if you do.
Speaker 1: And this has to be a great hire, So it can't be one of those Okay, if you got to sift through twelve dudes to get somebody to stand up on that board and tell you, here's how we're doing it, here's what I want to do. Make the presentation tour. When he walks out of the meeting and we say that feels great, right, But if you're questioning, Okay, I like him, but I don't know, bring him in. They can afford an interview of the price of an interview. So I want to find because you know what that next to the last guy or that last guy you bring in that you had questions about, Maybe the one could be the one, and what would happen if is thinking outside the box somebody who isn't hasn't done it thirty years and somebody maybe it's somebody who's got a football background in football and with with the coordinator somewhere else, or he's been a quarterback coach or a wide receiver coach, and if you question, bring him in, because one of those guys may jump off the charts and say he just needs an opportunity.
Speaker 2: So I'm all for it, and I think that's a good thing.
Speaker 3: I don't know if there's an unpopular take or not. I'm actually glad Clint Kubiak is going to the Seattle Seahawks. I'm so over the Shanahan scheme offensively, and I know you know that way more than I do. But just from everything that I've seen over the last there's.
Speaker 1: A lot of that tree floating around. I know the branches are wide in the NFL.
Speaker 3: Can we get somebody off the Sean McVay tree.
Speaker 2: I thought you're gonna stay off the Sean Salisbury tree. Same tree. Actually yeah, same, the same thing.
Speaker 3: They're gonna do the same, right, But isn't it a little I feel like the Sean McVay is more innovative.
Speaker 1: And the way, well, they've had a little bit more with that zone scheme and stuff. They've had a little bit more. Everybody wants to run the ball like the forty nine ers do. McCaffrey's they just do, but they've had a little bit more with the rams. With Stafford, Yeah, you're not gonna run as much rpl right, because he's more of a pocket guy. You're not gonna and the versatility and Stroud similar to to Stafford, they can get you a ton nine yards but the majority of the stuff's gonna be off play action in the pocket. So the question is who is that philosophy? But I mean I like a mix.
Speaker 2: See.
Speaker 1: I come from the school of I like vertical push. I like the Saints horizontal with Sean Payton because I think making getting completely important.
Speaker 2: I like taking.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna I want to play aggressive, but smartly aggressive. And part of playing aggressive for me is making sure that Saquon Barkley touches the ball a lot. I'll deal with it. He can rest in the off season. So I want to run it. But there's so many different ways you look at Andy mean Hunt, Pachucko kind of doing their thing. But when the game's all over, seventy four yards and a touchdown and important third down stuff, I'm a situational football guy, goes. I could care less about all that, And I think that some of the guys that are going to interview somebody will knock him out of their chair, right. But I would never go in with any any thought process of that's my I want to wait till the guy comes out of the interview that he's my guy, not going into it because his reputae somewhere else, whether that be he likes to throw it all the time, he likes to run all the time. I need to hear him. I he's gonna approach it, and then will that guy apply it when it's not a meeting room and you're trying to impress the head coach with your presentation, if you got a deep philosophy, I'm under the Andy Reid point of.
Speaker 2: Bring four or five different philosophies in.
Speaker 1: We got a vertical quarterback who can throw it, we got an accurate quarterback, we got a run game, we got a tied end. You can maneuver and zone and man, I we we're past the point. I'd hope to be a one scheme thing, because if you're a one trick pony, one trick, one scheme guy to me, I'll figure you out. I will figure your ass out. If you're a one trick pony on defense, I will find a way to maximum I will. I will just destroy you. You might get me early, but at some point in time, I'm going to get you. So hopefully they'll find that guy seven seven nineties a number to join. Phone lines jammed up. We'll get to everybody next. Don't go anywhere continue to talk about East Houston Texans