Speaker 1: You know, we casually call ourselves ADHD because we're distracted sometimes. Or we call ourselves OCD because we like things organized. Or maybe we call ourselves bipolar or somebody you know bipolar because their moods change all the time. But when does normal human behavior actually become a mental health disorder? We are banding about these terms and do we really know what they mean? And more importantly, do we overuse them? And are we really diagnosing normal human behavior as opposed to personality disorders? I'm Ellen Stewart, Pushy Broad from the Bronx. This is my show, Recovery Recharged. And today's show is Stop Diagnosing Me. And we're going to talk about three distinct disorders in part one, And then we're going to come back and talk about the same thing, but three different disorders in part two. Today's part one is ADD or ADHD, as we know, is attention deficit disorder. OCD, as we know, is obsessive compulsive disorder and bipolar disorder. Do we have them or are we just labeling ourselves? Because those are the words of the day. So, I decided that the only way to really know is to get a licensed clinician in so that he can answer questions for us so we can determine whether we're really a diagnosed disorder or we're just behaving humanly. I want to introduce you to an old friend of mine, Nelson Hadler, who was kind enough to come today to the studio on his birthday. So happy birthday, Nelson.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Ellen.
Speaker 1: He is a licensed clinical social worker, a licensed certified alcohol and drug counselor, and he has over 30 years of experience in addictions and mental health. He's in private practice. He has license in various states, and he'll tell us where. He's extremely experienced in working with families, adolescents, adults, and personality disorders. Welcome to my show, Nelson. Good morning.
Speaker 2: Good morning, Ellen.
Speaker 1: I want to know right out of the gate, do you think we're becoming too quick to turn ordinary human behavior into a psychiatric diagnosis?
Speaker 2: Oh, yes. Yes, I think we confuse layman terms for certain clusters of behavior for actual disorders.
Speaker 1: Like what?
Speaker 2: Like the ones that we're talking about today, you know, so ADHD.
Speaker 1: So let's talk just a little bit about ADHD. What's the difference between, first of all, tell us the difference between ADHD and ADD. Tell us about that from a clinical point of view.
Speaker 2: Well, it was ADD through the 80s. And I think about 1987 in the Diagnostic Statistics Manual, they change it to ADHD. attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, primarily inattentive, primarily hyperactive, and mixed. So a lot of people just shortened it back to the old thing, ADD. They made the change simply to distinguish between what behaviors were presenting.
Speaker 1: I see. Okay. So Now, most people, when they think of ADD or ADHD, think about somebody that can't regularly focus or they're easily distracted. So tell us what you would know the difference when you're diagnosing somebody. How do you know whether this person is ADD or just exhibiting normal human behavior?
Speaker 2: Well, first of all, you need to run the person through the criteria and see what they fit. But you also need to keep an eye out for the differential diagnoses. Is the person just a little flighty? Is the person anxious? Do they have an anxiety disorder? Are they so depressed they can't concentrate? Are they grieving? Have they just had a medication change? Are they in withdrawal? Are they in post-acute withdrawal? you have to rule out everything else that could be responsible for the presentation. So it is kind of overused. I mean, one of my litmus tests, you know, I'll have the person come in who's been, you know, in and out of substance abuse treatment and says, I have ADHD. And I asked them a little bit about the background and I'm really not finding that. And, you know, they go, oh, and you know, I've been prescribed Adderall, but they used it as a stimulant. They used it as a methamphetamine. You know, one of the biggest litmus tests is how do you respond to ADHD medication? Oh, I can focus and all the distractions go away and I'm like this. Or, oh, I can stay up all night and study. It's very different. People with ADHD have what they call a paradoxical effect of actually focusing. So a lot of times I ask that.
Speaker 1: Okay, so in a clinical sense, but in layman's term, tell us how you have diagnosed someone ADD, ADHD. What exactly is the criterion for that classic diagnosis in layman's terms? So I know whether or not I actually have it. Setting aside all of the other things that you said, I'm not grieving, I'm not anxious, I'm not nervous. a person that you would consider clinically ADD, ADHD. Give us an idea of some of the major standout symptoms.
Speaker 2: I'll try to think of all the criteria in the book, but, you know, can't sit still, comes unprepared for tasks at school, jumps around easily, you know, that type of thing. You know, one of the biggest things you want to look at is, Are they, how do I say it? Are they, ADHD, people with true ADHD can focus on things that they're motivated to. It's a disorder of ordering tasks. If they're not motivated to do their math homework, it just doesn't come up. It's not laziness. It's not avoidance. It just doesn't get put in the forefront of the list of tasks one needs to accomplish next. So that's what you really look at.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting because now that everybody is pretty much going back to school, most people in different parts of the country have already started school and others, of course, here up in the East Coast where we are, or at least on the East Coast are going back very, very soon. It is something that parents are looking for to make sure that their child is learning and processing in the right way. So an ADD person also I have found from people that I know have come to me with that classic diagnosis can start talking about something in simple conversation and then extend to so many different tangents that they have difficulty coming back to the first thought. Is that a trait that you've noticed as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I mean, again, one thing we'll discuss a little bit is You know, are we just quick to label? I mean, that could be somebody with a bipolar disorder in a manic episode.
Speaker 1: I see. But I'm talking about now clinically ADD or ADHD person. So what do you find when people label themselves? OK, when somebody turns around and says, oh, you're so ADD, right? That happens a lot. I see it a lot. I find sometimes that's when people talk about people who are, like you said, a little bit more nervous or a little anxious or have a lot on their plate.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Do you find that that's how we misdiagnose ADD?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: So now is there any difference between ADD and ADHD since they put in that, you know, hyperactivity disorder? Is there a difference?
Speaker 2: No, you always look for, you know, the less diagnosed is the inattentive because they're not hyper and all over the place and jumping around.
Speaker 1: I see.
Speaker 2: But, you know, they'll be like answering a math problem and be like, oh, look at that chicken, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay. So this also comes with a certain amount of impulsivity too, I mean, right? people can be distracted by a whole plethora of things that have nothing to do with ADD, like they can be exhausted or overwhelmed or anxious or depressed. All of those things that would seem as if they have those symptoms. So what you're saying to us is they should be clinically diagnosed. Okay, so now one thing with this specifically, I have many young adults coming to me and telling me, that they'd been diagnosed as ADD or ADHD at an early age, like in elementary, in grade school, and haven't had a diagnosis since. What do you suggest to these people?
Speaker 2: Is it impacting their life today?
Speaker 1: Well, that's a very.
Speaker 2: you know are they having is it is it affecting work is it affecting relationships you know um just be it's over diagnosed you know i mean if someone said they were diagnosed adhd at six years old i'd ask them what was going on at six years old okay okay did they have did grandma die Did a parent die? Did they have a trauma? Did anybody look for abuse or PTSD? You know, if they were diagnosed in grammar school and really haven't had an issue since, is it possible for other causes or maybe just you're fine?
Speaker 1: Okay. Is it possible for someone to have ADD or ADHD as a diagnosis and then have that diagnosis disappear or resolve? Is that possible?
Speaker 2: I don't believe if it's a true diagnosis, you can treat it and you can learn skills to counteract it.
Speaker 1: I see. I see. Like addiction, you can put it in remission, but it never really works.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: Exactly. Correctly. You can address it.
Speaker 1: So that's very interesting.
Speaker 2: Yes. Okay.
Speaker 1: Do you think that current stimulus like our phones and the computer and the technology and all the multitasking that we do on a regular basis, Can exacerbate ADHD or mimic ADHD among students?
Speaker 2: Well, exacerbate, yes. You know, it's just another distraction. So you need to be in class. You need to be on the phone. You need to be focusing on something. Then there's social media. So, you know, that's exacerbation. And then people can just be spaced out on their phone. I mean, look at texting. And driving, you know.
Speaker 1: Yes, which means another thing, but yes.
Speaker 2: You don't need to be ADHD to be on your phone all the time, although it certainly would feed into it.
Speaker 1: Exactly. Okay. So it doesn't mean technology causes ADHD. It means that difficulty concentrating has many possible causes, right?
Speaker 2: Yes. That's my big point. All right.
Speaker 1: Now, because this is recovery recharge and we talk a lot about addiction, can you talk about how addiction or early recovery look like ADHD? How does that manifest itself? How could that be confused with ADD or ADHD? Somebody that is at early recovery.
Speaker 2: Well, they're gonna be depressed. They're gonna be anxious. They're gonna have the initial withdrawal symptoms from the substance. They're gonna be experiencing post-acute withdrawal symptoms, you know, syndrome, I should say. And, you know, those things look like ADHD. Irritability, difficulty concentrating, it's right there.
Speaker 1: You know, anxiety, depression, fatigue. Right, all of the disruptions.
Speaker 2: It's going to make it hard to concentrate.
Speaker 1: Exactly. So you need to take a look at.
Speaker 2: How long the duration of these difficulties are.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Because I hear a lot of people say, I can't concentrate, I'm restless, I'm impulsive, I can't sleep, I'm forgetting everything, I must have ADHD. And again, this could be temporary in terms of early recovery, right? Because like you said, the post-acute withdrawal and all of that, and we have to see whether or not these symptoms persist down the road.
Speaker 2: You have to look over time and you have to look, hopefully, over periods of abstinence.
Speaker 1: Of course. Okay, so is ADD the kind of disorder that happens in early childhood and continues? Or can somebody in adolescence or young adulthood or even adulthood develop ADD or ADHD? How does that work?
Speaker 2: I believe it's something you're born with if it's true ADHD. You know, classically, Classically, the ADHD child is bright. They have higher IQ and they're able to compensate for their lack of attention through grammar school. And oftentimes what we see is in eighth and ninth grade, these bright kids that always had all A's start having problems with some subjects. And that's when we want to dig into Could this be ADHD? So that's usually where it raises its head, especially the non-hyperactive inattentive cognitive. I see.
Speaker 1: So we're finding more of these diagnoses prevalent in a middle school situation.
Speaker 2: Yes. A lot of times that's where it's first identified.
Speaker 1: I see. Okay. All right. Okay. But you said something very telling, which is the theme of this entire thing. And in the beginning is, How is this affecting your life? Or parents, how is this diagnosis or these behaviors affecting the life of your child, right? Is it interfering with everyday processes? Is it overtaking them in a way that is mood altering, right? All of the things they should be looking out for?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: What else should they be looking out for?
Speaker 2: Well, again, the hyperactivity and what's driving that. You know, the forgetting to bring things.
Speaker 1: Okay. All of that. And the fact that the concentration seems to wane, the focus seems to wane on things.
Speaker 2: Right. And another thing, you know, folks with ADHD tend to develop into procrastinators. People procrastinate for a lot of reasons, but You know, the child with ADHD kind of learns that they don't pay attention, but when the assignment is due tomorrow, that causes anxiety and stress, and the anxiety and stress then becomes the motivator. Then it's in the frontal lobe as, oh, my God, I need to do this now. Then they're able to concentrate. So we look for that.
Speaker 1: Right. So then they wait, of course, to be under the gun, to be under that kind of pressure.
Speaker 2: It's kind of a subconscious way they can become motivated.
Speaker 1: That's very interesting. And on that note, because you said that, before we move on to the next disorder that I certainly want to talk to you about, if we find that that's the case, what's the difference between normal I mean, can you sum up just briefly? I know there's a lot of criterion, but what's the difference between normal procrastination and ADHD procrastination? Do we know?
Speaker 2: I usually, what I do is I usually look for other signs of ADHD. If I find them, I'm like, oh, I think that's driving the procrastination. I see. Okay. If we're not seeing that, I would look in a lot of other, is what's causing the anxiety? Is there? performance is there a fear of failure is there depression i mean it's there's a plethora of things.
Speaker 1: Of things right okay all right so let's move out of the add adhd and move into something that we also hear a lot about you can hear someone say oh my god i'm so ocd as opposed to i'm just naturally organized Let's talk about those two things and how people can confuse the diagnosis. Tell us what OCD is from a clinical point of view and what we should be looking at.
Speaker 2: OCD means that there is an obsession, intrusive thoughts that you must usually complete a task or avoid the stimuli. And the compulsion is the behavior of avoiding.
Speaker 1: Okay. So for somebody.
Speaker 2: Now, again, it's down to... Does it interfere with your functioning?
Speaker 1: Okay. There are some very telling things about OCD that are very, very different from normal behavior. And you said these things, but I don't want to gloss over them, right?
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: The one thing that comes with OCD most prevalently, no matter what kind of OCD you have, and if you want to talk about those kinds, because there's relational and all kinds of other, you know, different OCDs, But the one thing that comes across most often, which separates us from normal human behavior, are the words intrusive thoughts.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Okay. So I want you to explain in layman's terms, somebody trying to understand someone with OCD, exactly what happens in an intrusive thought. Give us an example.
Speaker 2: You don't want to have the thoughts. They're causing anxiety. They're causing preoccupation. And to get rid of them, you have to perform the behavior. You have to do something.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: So I'm going to leave my office and turn off the light. I had the intrusive thought that if I don't turn the light switch on and off 50 times, I'm going to die. That's kind of what they experience. You know, that's what it feels like and the thought is. And so they have to do it 50 times.
Speaker 1: Okay. And that is going.
Speaker 2: To impair their functioning.
Speaker 1: Exactly. And just because I'm organized and just because I put things in order and I have a clean closet or I have a clean workspace or I have a clean house. doesn't mean that intrusive thoughts are coming into my head where if I don't do these things, something catastrophic will happen to me.
Speaker 2: Correct?
Speaker 1: Correct.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So is intrusive thoughts one of the primary distinguishable diagnosis for OCD? Without intrusive thoughts, would we say that we don't have OCD?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say so. I would agree. Okay.
Speaker 1: Okay. So that's a big thing. So all of you that are organized out there and put things away, if you're thinking that you have to go back and rearrange the shoes five or six or seven or a hundred times in order to feel good, that would be OCD. But if you just have a clean space or an organized space, or don't like to wait until the last minute or are structured in your life, then you are not OCD. Correct?
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 2: Correct. And it can be mild. I mean, my desk is, Everything is at the right angles and perfect. For years, I worked with a desk where the client sat in front of my desk and I had this one young woman that would come in and move things around. And I'd be like, you can't do that. It was a little bit impairing my functioning. I had to focus on that.
Speaker 1: Okay. All right.
Speaker 2: But it was very mild. Okay. You know, and the other piece is people are born with traits. So, like, I'm a little OCD, but it never really impairs my functioning. I like to line things up and things, and it's a little weird. I like to take everything in the refrigerator, make sure the labels are facing forward, and my wife will go, stop being OCD. I'm like, I like that. You know, so if, you know, I always say diagnoses, you know, are kind of like a combination of what you're born with And then like what temperature you set the oven at and where you set the timer. You know, let's say I was exposed to a significant trauma as a child that, you know, since I have those OCD traits, that might be where it manifests.
Speaker 1: That began.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: I understand.
Speaker 2: OK.
Speaker 1: All right. And in that line, let's finish this up. And I want to go on to the next thing. Can perfectionism be mistaken for OCD? Tell us about that.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Tell us how.
Speaker 2: You know, I think a lot of people need to, when you say mistaken, like mistaken by a professional? Well, no.
Speaker 1: No, I mean, if I'm self-diagnosed, right? I mean, well, certainly maybe not by a professional because there are other probing questions, obviously, with all the other current personality disorders. But I'm talking about those of us here listening. The people that are listening to you are wondering, if I'm a perfectionist, do I have OCD? So what do you say to these people?
Speaker 2: No, not if it doesn't get in the way of your functioning. That's going to be the golden rule here.
Speaker 1: No matter what.
Speaker 2: Right. And, you know, if the person's functioning is impaired, you would really need to take a look at, is it really the OCD that's impairing?
Speaker 1: OK, OK. So if I'm going to prepare the holiday dinner because Thanksgiving is coming and everything has to be completely perfect and I have to have all my ducks in a row and all the China out and the and the gravy has to be perfect and the turkey has to be perfect or it's a direct reflection on me and everything has to be completely set up in a way that is driving me bananas, then that are those are probably direct OCD symptoms, would we say?
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 3: Maybe.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Maybe you just like everything to be perfect in your cooking. Okay. I would say, okay, so everything needs to be perfect and you get everything on the table and the gravy is cold. Do you roll with it and heat it up a little bit or do you throw the whole meal out and tell everybody it's going to be four hours till we eat again? The latter would be real OCD. Right.
Speaker 1: Would be real OCD.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: So absolutely it is in extremes, but yes, sometimes perfectionism can be, you know, misdiagnosed or you, you can think that your OCD, if you're so perfect, if you're going back, like we said, and fixing the pencils on your desk or making sure that it's right a thousand times or, going back to see whether or not the oven is turned on or making sure that the bed is exactly made perfectly and go back several times to see that everything in the pillows and the cushions are exactly the way they need to be, right?
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So that's when perfectionism is not really perfectionism at all, but a beginning sign of OCD.
Speaker 2: Yeah? You could say that. Okay.
Speaker 1: And also. It's not only a question of needing everything to be perfect. Like you said, it's if you can tolerate it when you are not perfect.
Speaker 2: Right. Right. Exactly. Can you move on and prioritize and get the task done? Right.
Speaker 1: Okay. Okay. So you also want to.
Speaker 3: Look at, I mean, adult children of alcoholics and, and, uh, people with substance use disorders can tend to be perfectionists, you know, um, How so?
Speaker 2: I remember a co-worker talking about a client once. He said, there comes Clem in his alcoholic truck. And it was early in my career. I'm like, what's an alcoholic truck? And he's like, it's old. It's got rust on it, but it's perfect. It doesn't have any dust. It's polished, armor-old. And I was like, oh. So they put out this facade of being perfect. And that's what happens in an alcoholic family system. I see. You're the child of an alcoholic. So if you're a family hero, which is a whole other, I won't go in that whole direction, but like being perfect, being successful can become somewhat obsessive, but the motivator would be more the having to look at the family system the person came from.
Speaker 1: I understand. Okay. I want to get to the next thing and we have a very short amount of time, so I want to encapsulate it. Let's talk about tackling bipolar disorder, right? She's so bipolar, she was happy this morning and furious tonight, right? She must be, if she's not going through her changes or it's not that time of the month or I don't know what's going on with them, is that bipolar disorder? Let's break it down really easy in about 60 seconds.
Speaker 2: No, it's not. And it's my pet peeve and probably... The second, up there with ADHD as far as misdiagnosis is bipolar. You can have mood swings without having a bipolar disorder. You can be sad in the morning and happy in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what distinguishes a true bipolar diagnosis? 30 seconds.
Speaker 2: Was there a manic episode for regular bipolar? Has there been depressive episodes? Can you... Is there other ways to account for the manic episodes? You know, I mean, those are the big things. You know, manic episodes are dangerous behavior. You know, my first question is, have you had a period of not being able to sleep for one to three days, but you're not tired?
Speaker 1: I see. Okay. So it's clinicians thinking that there is a decreased need for sleep, maybe unusually elevated or irritable mood. Increased activity, rapid speech, racing thoughts, grandiosity, and risky behavior. Those things specifically would be bipolar, but having general mood swings, no. So thank you so much for part one. We have talked about bipolar. We've talked about OCD. We have talked about ADD. Do not bandy those terms about unless you get a clinical diagnosis. Stop calling yourself something you are not. This is the Pushy Broad from the Bronx. Come back to us for part two. We're going to talk about other diagnosis that people just confuse for normal behavior. Thank you so much. And we'll see you next time.
Speaker 4: She's the Pushy Broad from the Bronx, New York. Follow her voice, her straight talk is nice. She's a pushy broad from the Bronx, oh yeah. Don't be surprised if you want to listen twice.
Speaker 2: Make decisions, find the right choice.
Speaker 4: Know yourself better, find your own voice.
Speaker 2: It's okay if.
Speaker 4: You need help today because everybody.
Speaker 2: Needs a little push.
Speaker 4: From the pushy broad from the Bronx, New York.