Speaker 1: Bailey is very excited because you had a landmark day yesterday.
Speaker 2: Landmark I hit three thousand followers on Instagram.
Speaker 1: I made you have before you started working at the Mighty katiewb.
Speaker 3: Probably like seven hundred and seventy.
Speaker 1: Okay, yeah, that makes sense. You're on the radio. It's kind of like Lena who used to be on our show. She you know, she was here before Instagram was a thing. Then she went and worked on the big Elvis duran Show in New York and was syndicated, and now she has like two hundred and eighty thousand followers.
Speaker 2: That's why she has so many. I thought she was just like an influencer of some kind.
Speaker 1: Well, I think she is a little bit, but I think she's really good with social media too. But I think, you know, if anybody was on and this is not to discredit Lena, she would totally admit this that if you were on the Elvis Durant Show and you're syndicated in eighty markets and you're a big star on that big radio station, you're gonna get followers. So I would have about fifteen followers if I was not on. Katie Sure, yes, checks out on it, but I've got about I don't know, forty five thousand followers something like that. I gained like one hundred every six months. So if you want to follow me. It's funny because there are people who like and like and like the things that we post, but they don't follow us. So we encourage you follow us on Instagram.
Speaker 3: Please do so if you.
Speaker 1: Go look at Bailey Bailey on air, hit that follow button.
Speaker 2: Hit the follow button, please follow me. All of my Instagram stories are fascinating.
Speaker 1: Now they're not. I've seen some of them.
Speaker 3: The race are you don't watch all of them?
Speaker 1: Well because they're not fascinating.
Speaker 3: They're really like.
Speaker 4: To watch Bailey's stories. See, but sometimes there's a glare of sorts.
Speaker 3: Because your camera, my camera's really bad.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so like when you do a lot of like walking stories, it kind of looks like there's a fog over the city, and I'm like, yeah, what's happening?
Speaker 2: Very much that I do need a new phone. We've established this in one day, maybe you will get one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hope. So and so go follow Bailey, follow Jenny KTWB and vont Leak l e ak and Dave Ryan KTWB. So we appreciate any likes and all that stuff, but also hit that follow button. Yeah, why not dive it in too. Some emails here on the Minnesota Goodbye. First of all, I'm want to tell you I'm very excited. It is my last stay before vacation starts. So once ten o'clock hits this morning, there will be a puff up smoke where I'm standing and I will.
Speaker 5: Be gone, Yes you will.
Speaker 1: I'm go work out later today, headed to Colorado and then the Pike's Peak hike is a week from yesterday, a week from Thursday. Unless all of a sudden I look at the weather and it's going to be bad on my hike day, I might do it a little bit earlier, a day late, so we will see.
Speaker 5: He us posted because I would like to call you.
Speaker 4: You see how you're doing, like the morning now while we're here doing a show.
Speaker 1: With now Now, at this time it's early in the morning, they're an hour behind. So if I'm on the trail at four o'clock, which is my plan, and I'll be hiking the first hour ish in the dark with a headlamp on to start to get an early start so I'll have more time. So I won't rush, and there's thunderstorms in the afternoon that I want to try to beat. But I think I'm ready for it. I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I've been doing a ton of training for it for about six months and hopefully it will pay off.
Speaker 4: I think you're gonna do just fantastic. I mean you've been like you literally just started doing StairMaster at the gym out of nowhere, which is not an easy thing to do, and you crush like one hundred plus flights when you do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's boy, I tell you talk about a sweat machine. Do you think that you sweat more the healthier you get, because I think I sweat more than I did back when I wasn't as healthy.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think some people are naturally gifted to not sweat. I have always been a sweaty bitch, always.
Speaker 3: Sweat, not really.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's how Andrew is too. He like doesn't sweat, And I'm just like, how, Like he's got one of those bodies that's always naturally hot, but he just doesn't sweat.
Speaker 1: Steve O from the show back in the day, he was a sweat machine.
Speaker 3: Every picture I've ever seen of Steve O. He's sweating and he adds up.
Speaker 1: I think we went running one time and he took his shirt off and he rang it out and it was like he took it out of a bucket of water. It was like too funny, it was.
Speaker 4: And I would go to Warriors Golf with him, which is a heated yoga like intense hit class, and I would almost slip on his sweat next to my mat if I stepped off my mat, because he'd be mixting me sweating and stuff.
Speaker 5: Shod.
Speaker 1: Let's jump into the emails, and this is a follow up from one that we talked about yesterday about a therapist who wrote in and said she'd like to be on the show. She says, I'm up late ruminating. There's some shit I can't stop thinking about, so I thought i'd share. I can't stop thinking about how Ginny said pap smear in today's episode.
Speaker 3: I thought that too.
Speaker 5: Is that not how you say it?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: Sorry, carry on, dad, it's pap smear like shmear.
Speaker 2: Is like a like a bagel, a bagel stuff you put on a bagel.
Speaker 5: Yeah, pap smear.
Speaker 1: You never knew your entire life you're thirty four years old. You never knew it was not pash.
Speaker 5: I probably said it both ways.
Speaker 4: But sometimes I just talk and words come out of my mouth, and then I go back and I hear things and I'm like, well, that wasn't right.
Speaker 3: That ba Rista got a pap smear.
Speaker 5: I do say Barrista all the time.
Speaker 4: I will probably never change that, though Dave kind of said it like that yesterday.
Speaker 1: Too, Barista. I probably do Brista. Best part was Bailey was the only one that caught it and laughed out loud. I laughed too, girl. I'm still laughing just thinking about it. I'm also thinking about how Dave did something super weird with his hand in the most recent video of the four of you all on Instagram, and I don't know if it was on accident or his secret signal. So help let us know, Dave. My hands are like my twitchy like device I have. I just play with my hands a lot.
Speaker 5: I wonder what you did which video hands.
Speaker 1: A couple of times, Yeah, I would straightened my fingers and then curl them up a little. Yeah. Yeah it means nothing. So yeah, but you were not the only one who wondered about that follow up to you your follow up to your follow up about having a therapist on your show. This is my pitch of why I think it would be better than the rest of the therapists you've ever had. I'm young, and funny, an up to date on what is dope to talk about on the air, and not second. I solemnly swear and promise to be simultaneously concise and hilarious at the same time if you ever choose to invite me to participate in the show. Honestly, I don't even care if it isn't about therapy. I just love to run my mouth, so let me know for whatever reason, I am multifaceted as fuck. Sligh. That is all. Bye, Thank you. You know what. I'll save your email. You never know what will happen next one, Jenny writes in I love your show. I know sometimes you guys are leery of recommendations. Last night I went down a rabbit hole of Selene Dion stiff person syndrome. It was too hot out this weekend, I recommend you watch I Am Celen Dion on Amazon Prime. Always a fantastic always It is a fantastic documentary on her short journey of this disease because she has stiff person syndrome. So there's a recommendation. Thanks for reading Happy Friday, I might do that. We're right now binging season twelve of Alone.
Speaker 3: There's twelve seasons of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Wow, we watched maybe season three or five years ago and we were running out of things to watch, so I said, well, wat And it's so compelling. It is so interesting. Basically, these people are set out in the middle of nowhere, like Saskatchewan or somewhere, and they have to build a cabin and fish and hunt, and it really is interesting. And I guess I did a spoiler the other day by accident talking about yeah, like who had dropped out or tapped out already?
Speaker 4: So I think, did you say names or did you say specific things about the contestants?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I share pretty much name them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Thank Jenny Lucas writes in this one is for Jenny. Did you hear about this tragic fall? I believe I know what he's referring to, and he attaches I think a video or a story and I'm not going to be able to watch it right now. But this is a woman who was a u Arizona University ASU student, and she went hiking, I think, with her father on Half Dome in Yosemite. Now, you can climb up half Dome. It is literally you take a dome and you split it in half. You can technical climb with ropes and everything up the flat face that's called half Dome the hard way, or you can take a trail up the backside. Do you know anything about this?
Speaker 4: I did see it. It's very sad. I'm pretty sure they made it to the top. And I didn't read the full article, but I think they made it to the top. And the article says that she had just told her dad, I love you like you know. They just accomplished this thing together, and I think she fell on the way down and she died. It's so sad.
Speaker 1: Yeah, let me open it up and see if I can find out more about it. Yeah, there's a video. She's a you know, college aide student, and it says a heartbroken dad is speaking out after his daughter died while they hiked Yosemite's Half Dome. Grace Rollof was hiking with her dad. Jonathan tells Inside Edition that his daughter had checked the forecast when they made it to the top. A storm appeared out of nowhere. It began to pour during their descent. Unfortunately, she slipped off the side. As Jonathan roll Off warns his daughter's death, he says he will now work on making Half Dome a safer adventure. And Yeah, my god, that.
Speaker 4: Like breaks my heart because I feel like they weren't like super they weren't doing anything dumb, you know, Like it's not like they didn't bring water or something. They it's got such an unfortunate weather.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I think there are cables you hold on to, but you're not like buckled into the cables, like sometimes when you do some sort of a sense kind of like a ropes course and you go up and you're even if you fall off the ropes course at Mall of America, you're hanging by a belt, you know what I mean. So, and they said that she was not inexperienced. Yeah, but it's just I think I think that they're you know, like when I hike Pike's Peak, there are no treacherous falls that I know of. I haven't hiked all the way up yet, but most trails, if you fall, you fall, you get back up. But apparently someone was one where she tumbled over the side and felt like hundreds of feet. So she says, this guy, this text or emailer says, my question is why doesn't this hike have safety cables. If they already have steel cables to hold on to, wouldn't you think half Dome would install these seems absolute craziness to trust yourself from not sleep slipping. That's a good question. But also I think Lucas that you can't make everything safe. Yeah, and people have said, well, why don't they put a bar around the Grand Canyon, Well you can't. You just have to rely on yourself to be safe, and accidents happen. Second question for Jenny, if you ever come close to an injury or even slipping on a hike that you made, you question the hike. Love you guys, keep up the good work. Licklick, dart dart lick lick. That is from Lucas, Jenny.
Speaker 4: I mean, I cut myself on a hike in Tahiti just because it was like a very difficult hike. The trail was barely maintained. It wasn't anything awful. I could put a band aid on it. It wasn't bad. That's like the only thing I can think of. But I will say that we turned around on that hike because we did see storm clouds going over the peak and it was already so narrow of a trail that you could like fall to your death if you slipped off either side of it, because it was kind of a ridgeline hike, and once we saw the storm clouds, I was like, going back down will be even harder, especially if it rains. So we trusted our instinct on that one, and I don't think it ever ended up raining, but we didn't want to risk it, so we turned around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a really good idea. I know that you don't want to get caught in the open during the thunderstorm, and that is one of the things we learned when we were boy Scouts. We went to New Mexico because the year before us, our troop got caught in a thunderstorm on an exposed, treeless peak. And what you're supposed to do when you're on a hike and you're out in the open, you're supposed to put your backpack on the ground, squat on top of your backpack, and be a good fifty or one hundred yards from every other person in your group. You don't want to huddle up in a bunch because if one of you get struck, then you're all going to get struck. So you're supposed to put your backpack on the ground, squat on it, and then like you know, duck down so you stay low.
Speaker 4: This might be a dumb question, but what if you have like cell phones or technology in the backpack?
Speaker 5: Is that like not good to do?
Speaker 1: I don't know, I don't know. Yeah, yeah, I just go.
Speaker 5: Throw your cell phone fifty feet away too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I guess. Yeah, you definitely don't want to take your hiking poll and point up at the thunder. So all right, next one, Dave Bailey, Jenny vont it is Charisse. I guess probably be a question for Dave. Next week, on July thirty first, it'll be twelve years since I lost my mom. Even though it's been twelve years, I still cry and get sad and depressed around this time. Since I know Dave has lost both parents, I was wondering how he handles the feelings of sadness. Do you try to think of happy memories with your parents or do you keep yourself busy on those days? By the way, your mom by Oh, my mom was my only parent, so losing her was devastating. Any advice would be appreciated. I just want to stop randomly breaking into tears when I think about her. Thank you if you read this all all right, Charise, thank you. Twelve years is a long time and it does get easier, for sure. And I think that most of the time when I think about my parents now, I think of the happy things. I don't think of anything sad. Maybe they've been gone for a long time, and while we were close, I don't want to say that we I think we had gotten to a part where I didn't talk to them as much. I still love them just as much, but I guess I didn't rely on them for things. It was just always nice. And the nice thing about having a parent when you get older is like you know they're always there for you, and you know that if you needed them, you can go back and move into your basement room anytime you want to. And I think that's true with I would tell Carson or any of my kids, everything's get rough, you come back and you move in with mom and dad. But I would say for me, I think time has just created more of a softness to the pain. And I also, I really have comforted myself with this. As a parent, if I die, I would not want my kids to be so sad that they couldn't function or they couldn't enjoy life. So, in other words, if if I died, I would expect and demand that they'd be sad for a while, and like plant a tree or something, I would demand that. And if they weren't sad, I'd be pissed, But I wouldn't want them to not be the same or enjoy life. And I have a friend of mine whose parents have both died. She's my age, and she's still she won't live her life because she's so sad. And I think your mom and dad would have been devastated to think that you are so devastated that you can't enjoy life anymore. So your mom and dad will still want you to be happy. They're not here to tell you that, but if they were here, they would say, cheris, I want you to be happy. Think about the happy things about me. Now, that's easier said than done, but I think that just think of the happy thoughts. That's what your mom would want. Think the happy thoughts, all right, Next one it is. The subject is skibbity Toilet's comment s gimbity. Okay, so this is this came up on the show the other day and Bailey, I think it was on Wednesday or Tuesday said skibbity toilet and I thought it was just one of Bailey's random, weird ass things that come out of her mouth. And it turns out this is a phrase.
Speaker 2: It's a real thing that gen Alpha says, and in looking into it, because I was trying to find out exactly what it means, it's this whole like brain rot thing that like Jen Alpha does apparently when they say things that truly mean nothing, and skibby toilet is one of those things.
Speaker 1: Though.
Speaker 3: It is like a music thing.
Speaker 2: It's like a song thing, and it's creepy video where heads come out of toilets and they have creepy eyes. It's all like cgi and I don't know is a fortnite?
Speaker 3: Who knows?
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 1: Is it an expression like you drop your sandwich in the mud and you go, ah, skibbity toilet.
Speaker 3: I have absolutely no idea.
Speaker 5: It makes no sense.
Speaker 4: When we were talking about it on the show, was trying to google it and I could not understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it doesn't mean anything. That and like they say, what the sig? And that doesn't mean anything.
Speaker 3: And just like skibby riz and skibbity Ohio or whatever, none of that means anything.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, she says, good morning. I've been listening to Show since the nineties. You guys make my mornings. I wanted to comment on the Skibby toilets conversation from last week. I'm a mom in my forties. I had no idea this was kid LINGO. I hear my two youngest using this term and I thought they made it up. I had no idea. It is what the kids say. Thanks for educating me. And now I know why my youngest calls me a boomer even though I'm in my early forties. I am a teacher. My question for you is what was your favorite elective class in high school? I am an FACS HOMEC teacher. Love you guys, look forward to listening to you on my commute to work all year long. I live in Austin aka Spam Town. I would love a staff writer sticker that is from Jennifer in Austin, Minnesota. I'm gonna let Jenny go first. What was your favorite elective back in school?
Speaker 4: I would say ap stats because I loved math and I just thought stats was super fun and everything about it was decently easy for me, except for probability. I struggled with that for some reason. But also, my teacher was one of the bigger influences in my life to help decide where I went to college. He was just so fucking cool and he kind of talked me through because it was my senior year, my decision to go either Marquette or the u of M, and he was more on the side of the u of M. Without being like biased, I could tell he was, and that's where I decided to go, not only because of him, but he made some very good points.
Speaker 1: So, Bailey, what was your favorite elective?
Speaker 2: I would probably sit like. We had theater classes, so like acting class was really fun. But I also liked, uh photo. It was called photo video, which is such a stupid name for a class, but we just used you know, it was like the photography class and everything, and it was super fun and I ended up teaching half of that class because my teacher didn't know how to use photoshop, so I knew how to use photoshop, just because I was chronically always on the internet and on my computer during the summer instead of outside, and so I would teach their kids in the class how to use photoshop.
Speaker 3: I felt better than everybody.
Speaker 1: That is cool, I would say mine was probably I don't really remember. I took band and I was not great, But I think my favorite elective was probably in ninth grade. It was called batching it, which was a term that they used to use back in the day. Batching was short for bachelor. So batch's to learn to do things if you don't have a woman around the house to do things for you. That was a class batching it. Yeah, so it was basically being a bachelor. Learned to cook and learn to sew. And so the cooking part, I knew how to cook. I baked my ass off when I was a kid, And one of the reasons I did is because it made my dad so happy. He's like, look at Dave. He's making a cake. He made fudge, he made brownies. But we sewed. I learned to sew in this class. And I've told this story before. I was in ninth grade, so I was growing like a weed. I the beginning of the semester I bought a down kit. So you buy the stuff and you buy the down and you make the down vest. And I made this down vest. It took me about three or four months to make it, an hour at a time. And by the time I finished the down vest, I had outgrown it. Oh no, and it really it was. It bummed me out because it was like, fuck, I made this down vest and I remember putting it on and it was too small, and I was like, so sad. I wore it a couple of times. I'm like, it's too small and I still have it. I should throw it away. What am I going to do with it?
Speaker 3: Would it fit Carson?
Speaker 1: He doesn't want all this shit?
Speaker 3: Take it?
Speaker 1: You? Really? Would you want my down vest?
Speaker 3: I mean, is it cute?
Speaker 1: It's not particularly cute. If you remind me, I will. I will try to remember to bring it in when I get back from Vacas. I wear it is it's a down vest. It's legit.
Speaker 3: I mean, if it's warm, I'll wear it.
Speaker 2: I mean this idea that was called batching it, that's hilarious to me.
Speaker 1: That was the thing. Yeah. I was like, oh yeah, well he's not married. He's twenty four years old. He's batching it.
Speaker 2: Wow, well this the person emailing teaches that class essentially facts. Yeah, Family and consumer Science was always like the bombs class too slutely.
Speaker 1: All right, here we go a a high gang. I need to note that I love and appreciate you all, but this question is specifically for Dave. I live in Colorado, been plotting my move back to Minnesota for the last two months with my two and three year olds. I've been with my partner for thirteen years, but we never married, so I have complete custodial rights as their mother, and I can move them anywhere without his approval. He is a narcissist. He has cheated on me numerous times, and I cringe thinking about my children inheriting some of his characteristic traits. My family is amazing. I had the best childhood growing up. I felt like I was part of the community, had their support, which I would like to give my littles as well. My question to you is how did you co parent with Cricket and Julie when you lived in different states? What worked and what would you have changed. I am heading into uncharted territory and I appreciate your advice on how I can help my children maintain a relationship with their dad. Thank you, oh wise one. Well, everybody's Alyssa's situation is different. Cricket was very good about if we wanted to come for a week or a month, she was happy to They lived in a crappy environment, they really did. It was a dirty house with not always the best people around Beth. So whenever I had a chance or Cricket had a chance to send Beth to me, she would gladly send her. And Beth loved coming up to see us, So that was never an issue. With Chase. It was a little bit different because there was a lot of resentment and bitterness with Julie, and so Julie used to poke the bear every chance she got. Every chance she got, she would try to make things as difficult or as expensive as possible. But I would say, if you're dealing with somebody difficult, document everything. Document like right down. If the kids went and visited Dad, document what they did, Like did he just make them sit around and watch TV all weekend? Did he send money or did he not send money? Did he pay for this? Did he call the kids and tell him they're stupid? Was he drunk? Document? Meant everything other than that, don't expect a lot, don't have high expectations, but if you can have him at least involved in the kid's life. But also gauge what the kids are saying about the visits with dad. And also remember Alyssa that kids will tell you what they want to hear. So if you if the kids think that you want to hear they had a miserable time with dad, they will tell you they had a miserable time with dad. Because Chase used to do that when he was little. He'd be like, I gotta go visit Dad, and I don't want to And he would say that because he was six years old and he wanted to tell mom exactly what she wanted to hear. So, all right, thank you for that one, and we're going to wrap up on the Minnesota Goodbye. That's going to do it because it's time.
Speaker 3: It's time, it's time.
Speaker 1: Send it in to Ryan's show at katiewb dot com if you got something to talk about.