Speaker 1: This episode MA contained content of a graphic nature, including descriptions of physical and sexual violence against adults, children, and animals. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Shannon. Hi I'm Tanya, and we are Crimes and Consequences, a hardcore true crime podcast. Hey Shannon, Hey Tanya. How are you. I'm doing pretty good. How are you? I'm doing quite well. I'm caught up on sleep and yeah, oh I didn't tell you, but I did switch. I'm kind of switching out my style and of course I would love to be in a lavender marriage for my husband's style guidance, you know, which I have none. But in the interim, so like I said, I've been up and fluctuating with my weight. Gotta make a decision. Am I going out the rest of the way pleasantly plump? Or am I gonna get my shit together? Come on, fifty five double nickels. Let's quit fucking around, Shannon.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Okay, So, while I'm deciding, I had found these swing dresses like just these a line, simple cut, simple material on Amazon. I love wearing a dress every day. This is so nice. Now it is one of the excises, but I'm okay with it. Guess what, I got great hair, and I'm gonna pick that for now. Girl.
Speaker 1: I've been coasting on my hair for years.
Speaker 2: Ooh girl, it's so good to have some good hair like not. Don you know in my youth I was bleach, black bleach, red bleach. So it does kind of shorten up any kind of growing time for your hair if you're always in a damaged state. And now that I haven't done it in three years, I'm all like, I felt like you when we went to a Planet fitness. You had that fucking lion's mane when you woke up. My god, oh my god, you guys. Tanya has the best hair, and she had really thick, long hair. And when we were in our thirties and we'd go to the gym and we'd sign in and the guy would be like, he whispered to her nice hair, and she's all.
Speaker 1: Like thanks, Like I had rolled out of bed. I didn't put it up in a ponytail because it looked good, right, it's so bad toussled and thick, and so when he said something to me, I was like, invalidated the whole boy, if.
Speaker 2: I didn't put it in a ponytail, that's right. I left my scrunchy at home this morning. About you, how are you doing?
Speaker 1: I'm doing pretty good. Just working, you know, working, working, getting.
Speaker 2: Through the summer, these last couple of weeks before the kids go back to school. Yeah, September's here, Labor Day, all the good stuff. Put the white shoes away, I got my checklist, I got my checklist of things to do.
Speaker 1: I can't wear white after Labor Day. But yeah, no, it's just same old, same old. Yeah, just chugging along. I guess I'm just tired. I'm fucking tired all the time. But oh girl, yes, I was thinking like maybe I need to take vitamins. I don't know, maybe I need like a vitamin task. Am I be twelve deficient?
Speaker 2: Or right?
Speaker 1: Am? I'm so tired?
Speaker 2: But how should I use magnesium? Yeah? I curt all the hubbub, But am I using it to relax or to energize? You know?
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. That's why I don't take vitamins. I don't know. Maybe I should, honestly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we'll see, we'll see. How Yeah, which, I got a great store and it's out of Australia. Back at the turn of the century, and I mean the two thousands.
Speaker 1: I'd like to nine hundred.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's right. But yeah, this is this is a very good story. I of course few of us have heard of it. It's because I know I haven't. It was in Australia, Like I said, New South Wales, back at the turn of the century, two thousand and five. I'd like to invite everybody to go ahead and hit the subscribe button so you guys can hear all of the stories that we bring every week from all over the world. And I'm going to tell you this story starts on Wednesday, June twenty second, two thousand and five, in New South Wales, Australia, in the city of Double people noticed a little girl wandering outside in the front yard of a house located at two one five bungle Gumby Road. Fun name Bungle Gumby Buncle Gummy. The people who found her didn't really look for the girl's mother at the time, and her mother wasn't located until the following day. Now, her mother, Christy Scoles, had been broodingly murdered earlier that same year, in January, a woman named Letitia Nolan had gone missing, and after finding Christie Scoles, the police constables had one common denominator between the murderer and the missing person, Malcolm John Naden mm HM. On the night that Letitia Nolan went missing, she was driving her nineteen ninety six dark blue Ford Falcon station Wagon. She had her kids in toe and she was dropping off the kids off at two one five Bungo Gumby Road so that they could spend time with their great grandparents Jack and Flow. And as she was walking up to the path to the house, her cousin, Malcolm creepily stepped out of the darkness and asked her if she could give him him a ride into town. Originally, she was frightened by the dark figure that approached her, but then she recognized it was her cousin, she felt at ease. She had known Malcolm throughout her whole life, and she knew about previous troubles that he had had gone through. Regardless, Letitia still liked him and the two had always gotten along. She was raised by her mother, who wasn't too strict, but on the other hand, Malcolm's father, Richard, was known to be extremely strict, so given this, Letitia always felt bad for him for how hard Richard always was on Malcolm up to this point. Richard's favorite child was Malcolm's older brother, Jason. Jason and Richard were very similar in personalities, so Letitia always thought that Malcolm really missed out on a potential relationship with his father. Due to this, Malcolm's father eventually threw him out of the house, so he had no choice but to move in with Jack and Flo. Latitia thought that nothing but good would come from this from moving in with his grandparents. Since the move, Letitia really got used to seeing him at the house when she would drop by for visits, and sometimes Malcolm would drop by Letitia's house to do odd jobs around her house and mower lawn stuff like that. Due to all of the work he was doing to better himself, Letitia really thought that his luck was turning around now. This opinion of her cousin would obviously change throughout the summer night of January fourth, two thousand and five, after she agreed to give Malcolm a ride into town. After Latitia agreed to give him a ride, she told him to wait a few minutes so that she could get her young kids into the house. Malcolm watched as she opened the door, and then he hopped in the passenger side of the station wagon and waited for her to come back outside. As she walked in the house, her two other children were already inside, and they were so happy to see their mom and wanted nothing but her attention. Letitia said that she needed to run to town for a bit and when she got back, she and her children would all go back to their house. She handed her infant baby off to her grandmother, and Malcolm was getting impatient with how long she was taking to come back outside, so he beat the horn a couple times to, you know, get her to hurry up. When she heard the horn, she quickly yelled that she had to run and she'd be back in a couple minutes now. Letitia loved her car. Even though the car was eleven years old, it was new to her and she loved driving her friends and family around. You ever have a car, your first car that you were to drive? My first car.
Speaker 1: It was such a piece of shit.
Speaker 2: What was it? Oh my god?
Speaker 1: Okay, so I started driving. It would have been like nineteen eighty seven, right, Yeah. It was a nineteen seventy eight Buick Regal nice was green. It was my dad's old car, and he used to say it was the color of money, right, you know, you know my dad, right, yes, So it was like, it's a players car, it's a play and it's a buick. Come on.
Speaker 2: I can already smell his cologne in the vehicle. But it was such a piece.
Speaker 1: In Like the windshield it wasn't sealed properly and I never got it fixed. So when it would rain, the water would come in, and then the seats were clothed and it would smell and it was just such.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was I would have to sit on garbage bags. And I met my husband when I had this car, and he had a light blue Ford Ltd.
Speaker 2: I don't know if you remember that car. Yes, I did, big giant boat.
Speaker 1: I remember when we walked. We used to work at Meyer together and that's how we met. And we walked out the party lot and I was like, that's your car, and then he saw mine and he's like he didn't say it this way, but he was like, how fucking with your car? Say something about my car?
Speaker 2: Oh? Dare you?
Speaker 3: I mean he didn't say by car pretty much, Yeah, the awkward silence and pauses implied, is my car where my questioning came from?
Speaker 2: You know, that's so funny, like her eleven year old car. I know, my first car was I got a license in nineteen eighty six, so I drove my parents used car. They're nineteen seventy six money Carlow nice eight boat. Oh nice oo. I really liked that car. And then I got a nineteen eighty one Ford exp which was the sporty Escort Ford and it was used and it was kind of a piece of crap because sometimes and it was a stick. So I remember one time my battery died and this was when I found out that you could push start a car. I feel like I've lived through some history because I have had to run with my vehicle and then pop the clutch.
Speaker 1: So I don't know how to drive a stick.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh. They got to bring those back.
Speaker 1: May I never learned.
Speaker 2: You know, you just gotta drive everybody everywhere when you love your car, And that's what Letitia did. So after Malcolm's impatient beat, she jogged down the walkway admiring her car. Then she shot a small smile at Malcolm before getting into the driver's seat and starting her car, and as she was starting her car, she asked Malcolm where he wanted to go and he just responded with a board just going into town. And after he answered, Letitia put her car in reverse and drove toward the highway. Letitia Jane Nolan. She was born May twenty third, nineteen eighty, which makes her a Gemini cusp. I believe, yeah, so she's right on the first day or two of Gemini. To her parents, Mick Pete and Joan Nolan. Her parents' love and affection was nothing short of complete and utter adoration for Letitia as she grew into an intelligent and sparkling young girl. She grew up in the outback of New South Wales and her father always thought of his daughter as his little girl, so he was strict in the way that he raised her. Other family members remember her as being really funny and incredibly beautiful. Her aunt remarked that she could have easily been a model. Her father, Mick, eventually left Joan and Letitia to live near Bundenburg, located in Queensland, and after he left, Joan tried to remain close by speaking on the phone on a regular basis. Letitia and her mother became extremely close and her mother helped her raise her four children, Kaisha, Jaden, Erica, and infant Shakela. The children's father did not live with them in Dubo, and he was always away with work, but on the rare chance that he was in town, Joan would babysit the little one so that Letitia and her man could have some alone time. Just mom doing your grandma doing the grandma thing right. It's just real sweet. On the morning of her disappearance, Joan saw her daughter in town at a cafe, and Joan specifically noticed how happy and excited Letitia was about her future. She had just bought her Ford Falcon, and she was so excited to show it off to Joan when they saw each other in town that day. She had bought the car a few days earlier so that she could take her two older children, Erica and Kaysha, to school. After showing her car off, Letitia asked her mom for a few bucks. I love it. Look at my car? Can I get twenty? I do love that. Joan gave her what she had asked for, and the mother daughter duo made plans for the following day to meet at Letitia's house. Letitia told her mother that she needed to go over to her grandparents' house to pick up Kayisha and Erica, and she also said that nan Aka Flow said that she could leave the youngest with her for the night. While confirming the plans for the following morning, Latitia said that she would meet her mom at her house at ten thirty in the morning after she picked up Shakela back from Jack and FLOE's house. As the two were saying there goodbye, both Letitia and Joan were happy and smiling. Joan had no idea that that was the last time she would ever see her daughter. During the evening of January fourth, as Letitia was first pulling up the driveway of her grandparents' house, Kayisha and Erica had their toys packed up and ready to go. As they saw their mother's headlights pulling in closer to the house, both of them were so excited that their mom was finally coming to take them home. While waiting for her mom's arrival into the house, Kayisha, who had just finished her very first year of school, was practice her alphabet and as we mentioned earlier, Letitia came into the house to drop off the baby. She came back into the house, gave her a grandmother a kiss, smiled at her grandfather, and placed the baby into the basinette. Before Letitia left to drive Malcolm into town. She gave Jaden instructions to be a good boy and to sit on the couch as he waited for her to return again to take them home. After flo picked up the baby, she was trying to quiet her small cries as Letitia had a quick chat with her two older daughters. When Malcolm beat the horn, Letitia ran towards the door and asked Floe to watch the kids while she drove Malcolm into town for a bit. Latitiha's last words to her grandparents were back in a sec When the following morning came around, Joan drove to her daughter's house around ten thirty am, just like they agreed the date at the cafe. When Joan got to her house, she was not at all surprised that Letitia wasn't home yet, since she always had her hands full raising four small kids. Joan walked into the house and called out for Letitia. The TV was on pretty high from the corner of the family room, and all of the lights were on in the home. At first, Joan thought that her daughter had just gotten a little sidetracked after she picked up the little ones from Flows earlier that morning. After some further inspection of her daughter's home, Joan determined that her daughter hadn't been at the house at all throughout the previous night. Joan decided to call her mother, Flow and asked if Letitia was still at her house. Flow quickly told Joan that Letitia never came back after she gave Malcolm a ride into town earlier the previous night. Both Joan and Floe thought that since this was so unlike Letitia, she simply drove to go see her boyfriend and didn't call because it had gotten so late. Joan noticed that Latitia's purse and cigarettes were still at her home, so then she began to panic. Joan decided to drive into the town of Dubbo to see if she could possibly find her daughter that way. She knew that she could easily spot the dark blue forward, so as Joan hit the road, she began calling other family members to see if any of them had seen her recently. When Joan didn't see her daughter's car at any of the shops Latitia frequented Joan began to get the feeling that something serious had happened to her. She drove to the police station to report Letitia missing, but right before she got out of the car, she sensed that she was probably overreacting, so she opted to continue to call family members to see what they could possibly tell her about Letitia's whereabouts. When Latitia never came home, later that day, Joan drove back into the police station to report her daughter missing, even though not even twenty four hours had gone by, the police decided to send some officers out since she was a mother to four small kids Aunt Tanya. Honestly, the fucking twenty four hour rule? Why is that is that even around anymore? Should it be?
Speaker 1: It really shouldn't because they always say, I mean, I don't know if it's just a murder investigations, but isn't like the first forty eight hours the most important? Like after a cry.
Speaker 2: Thank you, I was thinking the same thing, forty eight.
Speaker 1: Somebody has been kidnapped or disappears, or like, really, you're gonna sit on it for twenty four hours?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Take it seriously, Come on now.
Speaker 2: No, I don't even know if that's a rule. Still, I hope not. I hope not too. It's just when I see it or come across and I'm like, oh well, eye roll. Since the city of Dubo is the capital of New South Wales and the population is about forty thousand, the news of Latitia's disappearance spread like wildfire. As the police were on the lookout for her car, the rest of her family was searching the local areas looking for any signs of her. Oddly, when Joan reported her missing, the Ford was already in the patrol rucker for that day, so two detectives were sent to search the car to look for anything that could have told them where Letitia was. Earlier that day, a squad car pulled up behind the Ford, which was parked in the parking lot that was near the Maccarie River. Two officers stepped out, looked into the car, jotted the plate number down, and went on with their patrol. This specific location where the car was found was known to be a common site for stolen cars to be ditched, but since the car was in such good condition, the officers originally thought that the Ford had been parked there while the owners walked his or her dog along the river. Since that was extremely common as well. When the car was expected for a second time after Letitia had been reported missing, the first thing noted was that the car was parked really close to a footbridge. This would allow the driver to park the car and get to the other side of town without really being seen, especially if parked there at night. The officers inspected the parking lot and found nothing of use, but since this was a missing person's investigation, a forensic team was needed to take a closer look. Since Letitia had only gotten the car recently, there wasn't much evidence that anyone had even driven the car. When the forensic team reported that not a single fingerprint had been found, the police realized that the car was wiped completely clean after it had been parked there. The New South Wales Police decided to hand the case over to the homicide squad. The first people to interview were Jack and Flow, who told them that Letitia had stopped by to drop off the younger kids before saying that she was heading into town. Neither of them knew exactly where in town Latitia was headed. When Jack was asked who else lived in the house, Jack told the homicide detective that Malcolm sometimes lived there, but neither him nor Flow had seen him in a few days. A few months prior to Letitia disappearing, Malcolm had been connected to a rape of a fifteen year old girl in Dubo, but Malcolm had not been proven guilty and stayed out of trouble since nobody ever really knew where Malcolm was at any given time. Whenever he wasn't home, he was at work or chilling out in the woods. Now, after the Ford was found, the case went cold. Police dogs were sent out into the woods to pick up any type of scent, but nothing ever came of it. A few leads came in, but nothing ever came from them, and the only person that the police had yet to speak with was Malcolm, who nobody had seen or heard from since the disappearance. According to many of the records of missing person reports similar to Letitia's, quite often the police find that the missing person had been living some sort of double life, but nothing of the sort was found in Letitia's life or file. She worshiped her chill dren and she would never have let them to go on without her. Even though the case went cold, it was treated as suspicious and the case would pick back up again in only five months time. In the Australian winter month of June two thousand and five, Christie Skulls was staying at Jack and Flow's home while her kids were asleep in one of the back bedrooms. Christie's home was being painted and she didn't want her kids exposed to the potential fumes from the fresh paint. Christie's husband, Reg, was in Sydney studying for a few days along with Reg's grandparents, Jack and Flow, but they were in Sydney so that Jack could have an operation on his heart. Since Latitia had disappeared, she knew how much the Nolan family had been suffering since, and she really felt for them as an in law. Jack, who was up there in age, was suffering from some heart problems that seemed to only get worse after the disappearance in January. He needed to get an emergency triple bypass done on his heart, and he was rushed to Sydney in order to get that done. Since Jack's health had sunken lower than it already was, Flow had been dealing with a lot too, and Christy's heart broke to see them both in such a bad way. Mentally, and physically. While Christy was in the house just looking for some quiet time to watch TV. She was making a pot of tea when she was startled by a dark figure that was standing in the dark corner of her kitchen. She then looked a little closer and noticed that the figure was none other than her husband's cousin, Malcolm Naden. Christy greeted him and offered him a cup of hot tea while smiling at him she was making one for herself. He shrugged while nodding his nasty head, so Christy made him one. Christy at the time was staying at Jack and FLOE's house since their house neighboring to Jack and Floe, was being painted, so it wasn't as weird seeing Malcolm since she knew that he was staying with them. Nonetheless, Christy knew some of Malcolm's troubled past, and she was always a bit nervous around him because she always thought that something was a bit off about him. So Ever, since Latitia disappeared, Malcolm became even weirder and quieter than he already was. Jack, who had always defended Malcolm, was pissed at a lot of people in the community, because they suspected that he had something to do with Latitia's disappearance. The rest of the family told her that she shouldn't feel uneasy, but she felt a certain type of way regardless of what she was told, and for a damn good reason. Even though she and her family lived right next door, Christy rarely even spoke to Malcolm, and when they would go over to Jack and Flows to visit, Malcolm was always locked inside of his bedroom. On top of everything else, Regg had told Christy that on multiple occasions he had seen Malcolm climbing outside his own bedroom window. She was right in her feelings Malcolm was weird and extremely dangerous. She handed Malcolm a cup of tea and walked out into the living room to continue watching her late night TV shows, and when she looked back at Malcolm, she jumped out of her skin, not realizing that he had followed her out of the kitchen and across the living room. She tried to keep her composure as she asked him if he wanted to watch TV with her, and as he was standing over her, she felt really scared. Malcolm had been working at the local slaughterhouse and his job was to strip the flesh from carcasses. Oh lovely, yes, so I'm feeling I'm fucking sweating too, right, it's dark eye want his tea and now this weirdo is back at the house. So needless to say, he was strong, especially in his hands and arms. And as he was standing over Christy, Malcolm wrapped his hands around Christy's throat and he strangled her to death. And as he was she let out a yelp. As she was trying to scream. Her children were in the next room. So while everyone was away, I know that motherfucker. Yeah, you're killing the kid's mother, and it's just I don't want to hear it. While everyone was away in Sydney, Malcolm knew that he could just bring Christy's body into his bedroom. He laid her body right next to his bed, went back into the living room to grab Christie's cup of tea, which was still hot, poured it down the drain, and drank the cup that she had made for him. Not five minutes earlier, one of Christy's kids made some sound from the next room, so Malcolm made his way over to the bedroom, cracked the door open just enough to peer in, saw that one child was asleep in the smaller bed and the other was asleep in the crib located in the middle of the bedroom, and he went about his business. He went back into the kitchen to finish his tea, and then he went to the sink to wash both cups while making sure that he had wiped down the entire sin and kitchen chairs. Malcolm then went back to his bedroom and slid Christie's body all of the way underneath his bed. He placed bibles around her body, and he put pillows in front of his bed to better conceal the body. He knew that Christy would be home alone with the kids that night. The only reason he knew that was because he crept out of his bedroom window two nights prior to listen in on Reg and Christie's conversation. He heard Reg tell Christy that he was leaving to go to Sydney and he wouldn't be back until the weekend. He then heard that Christy and the kids would be staying at Jack and Flows while their house was being painted. On the night he murdered her, Malcolm crept onto the roof and peered into the house as he watched Christie feed and put her kids to bed for the night. He had been waiting for the moment to kill her, and he knew the right time to do it. When he knew that Christy was all alone, he creepily came out of his bedroom and made his way into the kitchen as she was making the tea. Malcolm had a plan for his next steps, and let me tell you, they're crazy. Once Christie's body right, yeah, heads up and be prepared. Once Christie's body was tucked away and concealed enough for his leiki, he made sure that his bedroom door was completely secure before he would make his escape. It was still early enough in the night and the neighbors were still out and about, so he looked out his bedroom window to make sure that nobody was watching him. He had already packed a bag hours earlier, so he slinked out of his bedroom window, bag in hand, and before he fled, he turned back to put a nail into the lock before he made his way to the front of the house. He was heading for the Western Plains Zoo. Now we'll go back to where we started with the little girl wandering around the front yard of Jack and FLOE's place on Saturday June twenty fifth, two thousand and five, a relative of Nolan's lived a few houses down. When the man Ian Walker looked out of his window, he saw his niece wandering aimlessly around the front yard. And even though this wasn't unusual, Christy had been seen with the children for a few days, and that was the most alarming thing. And since these children had been without their mama, the little girl, Libby, was looking a little rough. When Ian asked Libby where her mama was, Libby shrugged her shoulders. Ian then called into the house from the outside to see if Christy would come outside. With no sign of Christy, Ian tried to get into the house through the front door, but it was locked. Libby had slid open one of the windows in the living room to get outside, so when Ian saw that, he knew that he would be able to get in that way. Ian was respectful as he entered through the house, but still with no word from Christy. He wandered to where the children were sleeping and found the baby screaming his head off from his crib. Neither child had eaten since their mother last fed them, and since Christy had been murdered, the baby boy's diaper hadn't been changed. Ian looked through the entire house to search for Christy, and he had access to all of them except for one, Malcolm's locked room, which was doubling as Christie's temporary grave. Ian fed and washed up both of Christie's children, and when they were happy again, he began calling other people to see if they knew where Christy was. Everything had already felt so wrong to Ian, since her purse and cell phone were still in the house, and Christie's phone showed missed calls from Redge for the last couple of days. Ian called Redge and told him to come home right away. Even with an army of relatives looking for Christy, nobody could locate her, so the police were called. Since the house was locked up with what they thought nobody inside, the only thing that could be done at the time was file a missing person report. After the report came through, a search warrant was obtained to search the Bungalgumbie Road residence since there had already been a disappearance associated with the home. The house was searched on Sunday and there were no signs of anything amiss, but they walked up to Malcolm's locked bedroom door. An officer opened the door and the slight smell of decomposition smacked them right in the face. Once the detectives smelled that, they knew that they were looking for a corpse. When they removed the pillows from the front of the bed, they found Christy right where Malcolm had stashed her before running for the outback. The same homicide detectives who were handling Letitia's disappearance came back to Debo to handle Christy's murder investigation. The homicide detective went back to the house to scour Malcolm's room for anything that could give a meeting behind the murder. Malcolm's family members said that although he was withdrawn from society, he was harmless. Uh huh. Lease discovered many different copies of Bibles and highlighted sections out of wilderness crime and survival guide books. The detectives also found really disturbing sketches that he had drawn, and these told the detectives that he was a psychopath who was willing to kill again. Well I'm not sure what he drew, but that's quite an analysis from drawings. Yes, psychopath and willing to kill again, you know.
Speaker 1: It's some wild shit.
Speaker 2: Yes, probably some murder scenes. The details of these drawings have not been released. The detectives noticed that his windowsill had been worn out, since he often used that to leave and enter the house rather than the front door. Malcolm had also torn out a piece of ceiling and this was how he got into the roof that night to watch Christie. He watched his family through the vents of the house. What a creep this is so weird it is The police got a glimpse in a malcolm secret life as they searched his bedroom. News of the murdered twenty four year old mother had spread, just like the news of missing twenty four year old mother just months earlier. The police were under massive amounts of pressure and they needed to give the public some results sooner rather than later. This then set into motion the longest man hunt in Australian history. A picture of Malcolm was released to the public and a task force was put together with a combination of wilderness experts and veteran detectives. Originally, only a very specific areas were searched, since these were the initial places the investigators thought he would be hiding out. But when they still hadn't located Malcolm. Weeks later, they knew that they needed to widen their search exponentially. As the police were searching for him, calls were coming in with people saying that they had seen Malcolm and parts of New South Wales and specifically in the western Plains. Each time someone and said that they saw him, a search team went out to investigate the area, but nothing came up. After two months had gone by, a press conference was held was pleased to the public to help provide any information that could lead to his capture. In the meantime, Jack and Flow had come back from Sydney, but they were not made aware of Christie's murder and the man hunt for Malcolm until the police pressured the family to tell them the truth. After Jack and Flow were told what had happened, Flow's health took a turn for the worse and she was never well again. Jack blatantly refused to believe that his grandson had murdered his cousin's wife, even when presented with evidence to prove that he did. Jack eventually came to his own conclusion that Malcolm was murdered with Christy and that the police were actually chasing a completely different psychopath, wilderness crime and Bible expert in South Wales. Yeah, at least two. So. On the other hand, Latitia's father, who had not lost hope in finding her, had no doubt that Malcolm was responsible for everything that had happened so far. Letitia's father prayed that after the police caught Malcolm, he would come clean and tell where Letitia was. He made this heart shattering statement to a reporter quote, my heart stops every time the phone rings. I wake up during the night in a sweat, and I've been losing my hair from stress. Sometimes I sit at my computer until the sun comes up, thinking of things I could do to try and find her. Unquote. He made himself readily available to any media outlets who wanted to talk to him, but of course this never sat well with the Nolan family or the police. With each statement he made, the police were under more and more pressure. In December of two thousand and five began to come in as people were coming across the carcasses of kangaroos whose meat had been ripped off of them like they would have been at a slaughterhouse. I told it, it's a clue. This told investigators that since he worked at a slaughterhouse before, and ripping the meat from bones had been his job, he had to be the one doing this to the kangaroos. Since these remains had been found out in the wilderness of the outback, the search went on, but little did they know, Malcolm had made himself at home at the Western Plains Zoo, which is only an eight minute drive down the road from the Bungogumbee Road. Residence. Workers at the zoo had been finding clues that someone had been living on the roofs of cabins on the grounds, and that there was even more evidence that someone had been hunting on the grounds. On December twenty first, a staff member at the zoo spotted what looked like and in true and they called the police. Even with all this information, nobody had seen Malcolm, but the task force needed to search the zoo regardless for evidence. Later that day, the police were called to the scene to search the roof of one of the cabins, and after fingerprints came back as a positive ID for Malcolm, it was confirmed that he had been living there. And just as a side note, I looked up the cabins at the zoo and they are pretty luxurious visitors. You can pay to stay in the cabins that run adjacent to the zoo grounds, and the guests are free to come and go as they please under a reservation. And it looks really cool without Malcolm hiding on the roofs rightously fucking weirdo.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The investigators told the staff and current guests that the zoo was going to be closed for the following day and reservations for the cabins for the following day were canceled. Of course, the guests were pissed and they spent the rest of the day at the zoo joking about a lion escaping. The same people found out after the media ran the story that Australia's most wanted human had been living there while they and their families were touring the zoo grounds. That would be unsettling, to say the little bit. The following day, the entire task force, which included men dressed in wilderness camel gear and helicopters, flooded the area where Malcolm was last known to be. This zoo is roughly seven hundred and forty one acres big and was once used as a World War two military base at the time, over a thousand animals inhabited the zoo, and these animals came from five different continents. Dogs were set out to see if they could catch a hint of a cent, but even after combing the entire premises, they came up empty. Again. Malcolm was gone. While Malcolm was literally ghosting everyone, Jack's health was getting worse and due to this, many of Malcolm's family members were making please online with him to come home. One relative named Jeanette Lancaster took to the website Missingperson register dot com and in her post, she said, quote, Malcolm, if you read this message or someone tells you about this message, the family needs to hear from you. Pop is very ill and he needs to know how you are and hear your side of the story. In regard to Christy, Pop won't get better until he knows what's going on. End quote. She went on to say that Flow had been literally worried sick, and that the family was pleading with him to come back home. Jeannette also mentioned how Malcolm's mother, along with everyone else, wanted him to turn himself over to the police. This was getting so out of hand eventually from all of the stress, and heartbreak Flow passed away and after that Jack never recovered which his father had gone into the same website and he updated it with every article written about her disappearance, and in a post he said, quote, I go on Google Earth and I look at the towns and areas where he's been sighted end quote, and ended with that he was desperate for answers on his daughter's whereabouts. The crazy thing about this entire case was how Malcolm managed to evade the police for seven years. At the time of his capture, there was a bounty on his head for two hundred and fifty thousand Australian dollars, which is two hundred and sixty US, and this was the biggest man hunt since the nineteenth century. While he was living in the zoo, he stole bananas from the elephants and he snuck into tortoise enclosures. Once inside, Malcolm ripped off their heads and he ate the meat that was in the turtles head and bodies. A staff member later said that Malcolm was seen running from the tortoise enclosure. While he was living on top of the cabin at the zoo. He would sneak down at night and use the on site grills that just needed a few coins to be fired out. Ok, this dude's got balls, he does. You know, he's just like grills. I'm gonna use the grills. That's the thought that came in his head. They know he's there. Like, why isn't there like patrol? Well, yeah, and I get it's two thousands. Sometimes you forget like two thousand and five. Back then, like two thousand. Now we have more heat seeking stuff, we have drones.
Speaker 1: Like, how come there weren't more policemen more presenting it? Right?
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, I don't know. Seven years, seven years in the wilderness this guy lived. Since Malcolm was out in the wilderness for so long, it was impossible for police dogs to find or pick up a cent. He broke into people's houses, and when the homeowners called the police, the fingerprints came back as matches. The prints he left behind were able to help guide the police to the town of Gloucester, but unfortunately, when the police came close, Malcolm used a stolen semi automatic gun to shoot the officer who came the closest to catching him. He was watching the officers through the scope on the rifle and when they got too close, he decided to pull the trigger. Officers came across a campsite and tried to raid, but the fugitive was ready for them, and luckily the officer who was shot survived after having a bullet blow clear through his shoulder. Before this raid and shooting, the bounty was at one hundred thousand Australian dollars and after this it was raised to the two hundred and fifty thousand. So by March of twenty twelve, the police had not given up, and they got smarter with their tactics. They were able to rig up concealed cameras that were able to track his position, and at midnight on March twenty second, twenty twelve, Malcolm was finally captured. And let me tell you, he looked like complete and utter shit. He was thirty eight at the time of his capture and by the looks of him, he hadn't had a shower, a shave, clean clothes for years, and fuck him, he didn't deserve it. On March twenty second, twenty thirteen, malcompleted guilty to the murders of both Letitia Nolan and Christy Skulls. While in custody, he told the detectives that without a doubt, he would definitely kill again. Along with that, he also pleaded guilty to the attempted murder of a police officer, breaking and entering, and for sexually assaulting the fifteen year old girl that was mentioned earlier in the episode. In total, he pleaded guilty to eighteen charges. Wow. The sad but not surprising thing about Malcolm was that he confessed by writing a twenty five page long letter, and in the letter he said some very disturbing things. He wrote about how he felt nothing for him victims. Quote I would like to say I feel something for the victims, but that would be a lie. End quote. He also made notes to the readers of his letters saying, quote, avoid violence, especially killing. You will never be the same again. End quote. He said that the murders were enlightening for him. He said that he knew how the victims felt and that something broke inside of him after murdering them. His reason behind the murders is completely baffling. He said that he killed Letitia due to her gossiping. Really, yes, so she's a gossip your cousin. This is say whatever you want, you know, there's nothing so apparently her gossiping, he went into a rage, and he was never someone who showed any sort of emotion, but when he murdered her, she didn't see it coming. After he murdered her, Letitia, he said that he just sat and looked at her body for a long time. Quote I have never seen a body so relaxed. She crossed from life to death in an instant. Life shone through her trusting eyes, and now nothing, She was just gone en quote Sadly. He said that he woke up the following morning and heard Letitia's kids playing as if nothing had happened. Later in the confession, Malcolm spoke about how he broke Letitia's back and then went into detail about cutting her body into pieces. Her body has never been found. This letter was made public so everyone in her family heard it, including her father. While talking about Christie's death, he showed some serious heartlessness. He wrote about treating her quote like a life size dollote. He said that he killed her for no reason whatsoever. His family members have stated that they cannot and will not ever forgive Malcolm for what he did, and while in prison, Malcolm's second cousin even took it upon himself to beat him bloody since he was incarcerated inside the same prison. I thank you, cousin. Dean Nolan used the handle of a sandwich toaster to bash him in the prison courtyard at Goldburn's Correctional Facility. After all the terrible things that he put the victims and their families and the community and the police through, Malcolm Nayden is now serving life in prison without the possibility of parole. Wow. So that is some violence in Australia. Yeah, like the senselessness of murders.
Speaker 1: It's just I don't know. Yeah, We've talked about it a few times where it's just it's just sad because I wonder what went wrong like in his life that made him that way, you know, like didn't you go wrong?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: You know the whole nature nurture thing, Like was he just born like that? Like okay, it sounded like he was a massive weirdo.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, So I don't know. That's just really sad.
Speaker 1: Feel bad for that family, her kids, Laiah, my.
Speaker 2: Goodness, I guess her.
Speaker 1: Children, her you know, their children, and it's just really really sad.
Speaker 2: You know, it's frustrating when like the great grandfather, the grandfather Jack. You're you're presented. You don't have to like the facts that you're being presented, but you have to be in this plane of existence to accept them. So we can you know, Oh, I don't believe he killed that girl then, yeah, because then you'd have to believe he killed your granddaughter too, right, you know, And I think we know, I think we know how kids are, especially your own kids, you know, like Grandpa didn't know he was a weirdo, thank you and just always having us back. I don't believe that, and to me, that's toxic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know why people can't be honest with themselves, like, okay, fucking weird and yeah, while I didn't think he could kill somebody, he did.
Speaker 2: Yeah. They don't want to be honest because they're monsters, and then they have to base their mom sternness.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: Oh but yes, that is the story. Back to turn to the century. Winters in New Southwest Australia.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, winters are are summers.
Speaker 2: Because I know what I was like, that's right, the equator flippy thing.
Speaker 1: I can't imagine celebrating Christmas in the summer, but me either, It would be crazy but well, thank you, Shanna, my pleasure, my dear, thank you everyone for listening to this week's episode. We appreciate it. So I would just like to thank everyone for listening to this week's episode, and if you haven't already, please hit the subscribe or follow button on whatever app you're listening to because it really helps us. And if you would like more episodes, we have a Patreon. You can go to patreon dot com slash tnt crimes and you can get an extra episode a week for very small fee per month. You can go to our website Crimes and Consequences dot com and I think that's all the business that we have, so.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh the business.
Speaker 1: Oh, you can also sign up on ample podcasts.
Speaker 2: It's the same episodes.
Speaker 1: On Patreon, so sorry about that. So anyway, well until our next episode, my friend
Speaker 2: Until next time, my friend, I'll see you, love you, bye bye