Speaker 1: Hey, folks, my name is Spencer Claven. I'm the author of a brand new book, How to Stave the West Ancient Wisdom for five Modern Crisis, available now wherever you get your books, and I'm really excited to be joining here on the Doctor Sky Experience Talk Radio seventy seven WABC.
Speaker 2: And welcome back, ladies and gentlemen to the exciting programming and shows that you tell us who likes so much on America's incredible iconic radio station, the crown jewel of radio talk radio, seventy seven WABC, the proud home of the Doctor Sky Experience. As we talk about amazing subjects as you know, folks from the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather and celebrity in the mix, and also very proud to talk about American exceptionalism and our close association with the good folks at Regnery. Bring us to a brand new author and a brand new book from this great publishing house, and in just a few moments we'll meet Spencer Claven. He is the author of How to Save the West, Ancient Wisdom for Five Modern Crises. About set the stage before we introduce our guests about the subject matter Western culture is in a state of crisis. Objective truth is replaced by virtual reality, humanity by transhumanism, meaning by meaninglessness, religion by wholehearted devotion to scientism, and the Republican government by the liberal internationalist regime. But in How to Save the West, Ancient Wisdom for Five Modern Crises, Deliwire podcaster and Oxford educated classicists, Spencer Claven outlines a compelling plan for how to overcome each of these crises. Before then, let's get a little bit of a bio on our special guest. Spencer Claven, a scholar, writer, and a podcaster, has a lifelong devotion to the great works of the Principles of the West. After studying greet and Greek and Latin an undergraduate at Yale, he spent five years at Oxford, turning his doctor in Ancient Greek literature. Now an editor at the Clarmont Institute, has written for many outlets including The Atlantic, Los Angeles Times, City Journal, Newsweek, The Claremont Review of Books, The Federalist, and so much more. He's proud to hail from one of America's great cities, Nashville, Tennessee, and we welcome you to the Doctor Sky experience, Claban. Thank you, mister Clavin. Welcome. Thank you so much.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a pleasure to be here. Thanks so much for having me.
Speaker 2: Well, this is an interesting book, and i'd really like you to set the stage. Obviously, many people out there, no matter what their political persuasion is, they realize that there's something wrong in the entire planetary system with humanity here. And it's a shame to talk negative. We always like to talk positive. But in your book you bring up five easily an identifiable essential crises. I like get to start first off by telling us a little bit more about yourself because the Claremont Institute, I think we've had a few guests over the twenty years that we've been doing this, but Claaramont Institute describe it in some detail for our listeners here on the Doctor Scutt Experience.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely Well. The Institute, I'm proud and grateful to say, is a think tank devoted to the recovery of the American idea. And I know that's something that's near to your heart as well. You know, these founding documents that come down to us in this country, the Declaration of Independence, the Constitution, but also the federalist federalist papers in defense of our system of government, articulating at great length the rationale for it as compared to other possible ways of doing government, as compared to other countries that existed at the time, and digging really deeply into the prior history of Western philosophical and political thought. These are such precious parts of our inherentans, and the Claremont Institute exists to put them forward, to explain them to people, and increasingly today to defend them against any number of really outlandish charges based on false or misleading accusations against the men who wrote these texts down against the founding fathers. This is one area of many where you will hear again and again that our roots are rotten, our past is bad. The racism of this country is built into its DNA as one way of unpopular way recently of putting it in the sixteen nineteen projects. And besides being just relentlessly depressing, this idea is also incredibly arrogant and false. You know the question that I always come up against their ask again and again when I meet with these sorts of accusations that I do all the time, is you know who was it who taught you that all men are created equal? Who puts the footing underneath you to criticize the Founders on these terms, And of course it was the founders themselves, this great tradition that they were digging into the wisdom of Athens in Jerusalem, which makes up the civilization that I mean when I call the West that wisdom is what I'm offering to people in this book because of how precious it is, because it really doesn't just fall out of the sky. It comes from somewhere, and we ought to take ownership of it.
Speaker 2: Well well said, I mean, this is a great time to discuss these problems and also solutions, and again we like to be positive here on the Doctor Sky Experience. Again, ladies, enter are a very special guest, a scholar, a podcaster, and so much more. His name is Spencer Claven. His new book How to Save the West, Ancient Wisdom for Five Modern Crises. He's with us here on the Doctor Sky Experience on the iconic radio station, the Crown Jewel of Radio as we call it, off Radio seventy seven WABC out of New York, around the nation, around the world, and probably even out to the universe. So let's describe these crises. But before we do that, you're studying an insight from Plato, Aristotle, the Bible, and the found the Fathers. Is I think so compelling and so important as we explore these crises, and you also offer some very viable solutions to how people might get in check with these problems, and hopefully I think this book should be on everybody's book list. Don't you think I mean this is important? Well, let's describe these crises. I mean, this is interesting. I rather you go into them and said, you know, you're the author. The first one is and describe the first crisis in order that you have listed them in the book.
Speaker 1: I will, And maybe I'll just say at first to the outset what I mean even by the word crisis, because this is where we throw around a lot in our news. We have a crisis in the supply chain, a crisis, COVID crisis, and a lot of these things are real and serious problems. But when I use the word crisis, I'm actually trying to get something a little bit deeper for people to understand what's behind a lot of this. Greek krino is a word that means I decide or I judge, and so a true crisis is points the time for choosing. And what I lay out in the book is that you know, yes, we have all of these modern problems that are kind of coming up day by day, and it's hard to understand where they came from. But actually underlying that, what we're really grappling with is ancient questions, fundamental questions, and we're trying to find a way forward according to those you know, basic ideas. And so this is the first crisis, is the crisis of reality. Is there such a thing as true and false? Or is it all just my truth and your truth? And I argue that the only way to form a productive society is to argue that yes, there is absolute truth, which leads us into this second question, which is, you know, how can we know that truth if we're living in this world of change and decay. You know, we have these bodies that break down and die, and preaching me it seems as if people want to transcend them. The transgender movements, the transhumanist movement, which is even more extreme, a notion that we should get out of our bodies is actually very old, and I present some ancient wisdom for kind of dealing with ourselves and our humanity in a sane or away, understanding ourselves as embodied souls rather than just you know, kind of define sparks, dealing with these uncomfortable encumberances called the body. Then we move on to these two crises, the crisis of meaning and religion, which is really where we get to the heart of the matter, because in all of this, I think we're trying to find out is there anything that you know gives life meaning and direction? And a lot of our modern scientists, and I'm not talking about people that do science, people who believe that science is the full description of all the world, is all just matter, there's nothing else. There's a pervasive narrative that that's the only way to understand ourselves. But that's not enough. We don't actually believe that. We don't live that way. And so in the second part of the book, I'm talking about what you know, what is beyond just the physical fleshly here and now, And I'm arguing that the tradition, which shows us that God is worthy of worship is still the best tradition for thinking about these things. Then finally, you know your listeners, and you and I both care a lot about the American regime, and that's what this last section is about what to do what America has founded to be, and how we can have hope for saving this great nation that we are all blessed to be a part of.
Speaker 2: Well well said, and I want to jump into one of these, particularly the crisis of Reality. And I found that most compelling because it kind of gives me a little jerk in the knee here and it breakes my It makes me wake up to think about a problem called virtual reality. And in the book, without stealing your thunder sirt, you go into great details about what I consider to be in your interpretation and writing and my interpretation, the dangers of the metaverse and describe this because I think this can be a great thing. I mean, let's say surgeons can use this technology to even explore ways to help doing surgeries better. But you go into a much more powerful explanation and a warning I would say, if I'm correct, about the dangers of the metaverse. Describe that in light of what Facebook has been trying to do and this whole metaverse? What say you on this an important topic?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's right. You know, there's so much that's good that we could do with this technology. And whenever you start talking about the dangers of digital tech or the dangers presented by this era, it's easy to fall into the trap of being accused of just trying to turn back time right, trying to unmake the future. And this stuff is coming and there's no way out of it. But what I'm proposing in the book is there's it's one thing for technology to be advancing, but it's another thing for people to make a sales pitch based on that technology. And it's very telling that when we started to develop the ability to create virtual reality goggles or these sorts of things, and there was immediately this big push, this offer from a certain corner of our elite, to turn this into the whole world, to just swallow up human life into a kind of imaginary space. And what I'm suggesting in the book is that proposition that idea that's not inevitable, it's not baked into the technology. It's something that our elites belief, which is that there is no such thing as true and false, and so it would be better if they got to choose what exists and what doesn't according to their imaginary world. And that's a very very old proposition. I trace it back to at least the beginning of Greek philosophy with Socrates and his engagement with his own reality crisis, when it was very fashionable back in the day to say, you know, there's no such thing as true and false, or it's all just what you perceive and what I perceive. We think this sort of stuff is new, but it's very very old. And one thing that means is that we're not alone, because in fact, people have wrestled with these issues. Socrates themself wrestled with these issues, and he shows us that there's really nothing to do but believe that there's something outside of us that is true and false. That this promise of liberation, this promise of uploading ourselves into a virtual reality, it's an old promise and it always fails because if there's no such thing as absolute truth and absolute falsehood, well then it's all just power. It's all just power politics. And that's why you start to see people fighting to control the narrative, to censor people online. It's because unless we believe in true or false, there's just the will of this stronger as the ancients might have said, and that's really not a recipe for success. Clinging to this socratic notion of the truth, I think is so crucial, especially if this virtual reality tech becomes more and more advanced.
Speaker 2: Sponser Claven's our guest today here on the Doctor Sky Experience on Talk Radio seventy seven WAPC proud to call him a friend here. He's a scholar, writer, and a podcaster. And most important, it's a brand new regnary book that we recommend, ladies and gentlemen, you go out there to deep soul search on these very topics that we're talking about today. The book is entitled How to Save the West, Ancient Wisdom for Modern Crises. I wanted to see if you could give us a better understanding of the term transhumanism. I've heard many other people explain this to me, some rushed and some so detailed that not to put us to sleep, but your interpretation of transhumanism and what are the dangers that you might see there as you apply some of the knowledge that you have, the great knowledge from the you know, are ancestors like Plato, Aristotle and so many others talk about transhibanism.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, I think it's something which this is another good example of one of those things. It seems to just come out of nowhere, right, came out of left field. A lot of people I talk to you think, oh man, you know, even just transgenderism. Right, this kind of sudden uptick in young people feeling discomfort with their biological sex, feeling like they want to do all sorts of really horrible things to their bodies to change their bodies. You know, it's easy to feel like this is kind of from out of nowhere, But if you start to dig into the philosophical roots of it, you find once again that we're actually up against a very ancient problem, and that's the problem of the body and the soul. You know, they teach kids now in school they have you know, a biological they have a body, but then they have something called a gender identity, and this is like sort of a floating abstract entity that lives outside of their bodies, and they need to kind of change their bodies to conform to it. That idea is very, very old. It goes back at least to the Neoplatonists, who are a kind of branch of philosophy aster Plato, who basically said that you know, the body is just a burden or an accident, and where we really live is in this pure space of the divine, all the good, the true. What I show in the book is that this has always failed. This is a bad idea, and it always ends us up doing horrible things to ourselves. And the attempts to get out of to crawl out of our bodies. Now we're still doing that now, and we're doing it in this kind of trans genderism, you know, craze. But that transgenderism craze itself kind of points onwards to this bigger idea, which is transhumanism, and that is the notion that our technology can help us to get past our humanity, that our humanity is kind of outdated, our bodies are a burden, and we need to update ourselves using all this different kind of tech, or even just upload ourselves into the cloud so we'll live in a pure space. And since this is an old idea, it has an old solution, and that is they know we're not actually you know, ghosts in the machine. We're not just these kind of floating abstractions. What we are is embodied souls. This is this ancient Greek concept referred to as hylomorphism meaning form in matter. And whereas you know transgenderism transhumanism take us out of ourselves. Hylomorphism says no, you are. Your body is not an accident, and your soul is not an illusion. The two are wed together as one, they are fused, and the body is the language in which the soul is expressed. This is a much much staner way for understanding ourselves. Even as the technology develops. It will help us to be healthier and to regard ourselves with more peace rather than this endless craze for transgenderism and transhumanism.
Speaker 2: As you've explained that we've explained briefly in your bio. You spent five years at Oxford University and earned a doctorate an ancient Greek literature. So you're the right person to ask this, and I'd certainly like to do that with the ancient thinkers out there. What would you think is one of those ancient thinkers that really comes closest in all ways possible. I mean, maybe this is too too difficult the question to answer because there's so much material out there, but who strikes you is probably one of the best of all examples to study and learn about what's going on in this world and describe that person to us as one of the ancient scholars.
Speaker 1: Absolutely. Well, you know, it's not quite antiquity, But I think a lot about Thomas Aquinas, think Thomas Aquine medieval Christian think these days especially, you know, as different challenges present themselves, different thinkers become more urgent, more important, and a Quinas to somebody that comes up for me again and again. He's the author, most famously of the Summa Theologica, which is this big dictionary encyclopedia, as he says, you know, all matters in questions pertaining to the Christian faith. And it's I think a lot of people get scared off by that because they think you have to read it from cover to cover. You really don't.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: Aquinas is a great guy to go to for answers. And one reason he's great is because he was up against this question that the Church that had to face for a while, which is, what does you know pagan wisdom? What can Greek philosophy contribute to the traditions of Jerusalem? And he does this wonderful job of marrying these two pillars of our civilization, the kind of religious side of things, if you like, you know, the scriptures and the literature of Judaism and Christianity and bringing them together, meeting them with people like Aristotle, which is where I got that whole, you know, hylomorphism thing. This kind of really rich way of thinking about humanity and fusing those two things together, I think is a beautiful thing that Aquinus does, and it helps ground us, you know, as we feel so disoriented. Aquinus kind of stands in this unique place in the tradition between Athens and Jerusalem. Who can and he can show us that we can take ownership of these traditions, that they are not just kind of outdated. We come from somewhere. These ideas don't fall out of the sky. They have a history in a tradition, and that tradition is ours. He passes it along to us, just as so many other great thinkers do. So there's of course a lot of people in the book that I refer to, but Aquinas is a great one to think about these days.
Speaker 2: Well said, Now, I know in college, I remember taking classes and philosophy, and we studied very briefly, albeit not like yourself as we described these ancient scholars, But I remember as an astronomer, we studied Ptolemy in the book called the Alma Jester the Alma Justine. But have many of these, maybe I'm a little off subject here, have many of these great works? I know there was a big fire in Alexandria a long time ago when we lost a lot of material. So are some of the things that you're talking about relevant to these particular scholars that we may have lost over time. And imagine if we did lose it, just how more impacting they would be from their already great treatises and books themselves. What say you on that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's quite something to think about, isn't it. I mean the fire at Alexandria, the Library of Alexandria's most famous part of this. But there are all sorts of terrible losses in history, manuscripts that didn't get passed forward, works that were lost. I mean, you mentioned Polemy, and you know the kind of role that leads on to the kind of the role that some of the medieval Arabic scholars had in preserving some of these texts. You know, while the West was you know, struggling and suffering its own kind of difficulties and you know, there are so many things that look, at least from a specular perspective, like accidents of history, so many tragedies, for instance, that we'd love to have from ancient Greece, whereas we only have a small handful about thirty plays that come down from the classical period from three authors. And just think of the wealth of things that we could have, you know. But one thing that that tells me is kind of a weirdly comforting thought, is that this grand tradition, even as beautiful as it is, even as magnificent as these texts are, and you know, they have so much to guide us, they're always being rescued. We're always up against the world. The world is always falling apart, and many of these texts were rescued from the flames, you know, and by people who aren't even sure if they were going to live to see tomorrow.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: In the book, I talk about Saint Jerome, who both watches the fall of Rome but also translates the Bible into Latin, you know, carrying that language forward as kind of the cornerstone Christianity in the West. And it's very partning and encouraging to me to think you know, even though our problems may be very dire, we are part of a long tradition of carrying that flame through difficult and stormy circumstances. We're not alone in that either.
Speaker 2: Well, this is interesting. In the few more moments we have with you, we could go on for hours here a fascinating subject. Again, our very special guest on the Doctor Scry Experience today, Spencer Claven, a scholar, writer and podcaster. And as you've heard, and we'll repeat many times during the interview, a brand new regnary book entitled How to Save the West Ancient Wisdom were five modern crises, and let's get back to those crises. As you describe these crises. Many of the things that I'd like to know about in your opinion is why have we suddenly become so partisan? I mean, this is a question that you know goes all across the board. I mean, it's so sad the way we see things today politically.
Speaker 1: Especially Yes, I think that's a good example. We have something we could talk about for a long time. There is you know, at least one thing that we can point to that leads to this in part, and that is the you know, Marxist turn the cultural Marxist turn of the New Left, and I talk about this in the Regime Crisis section of the book. You know, when the when Marxist scholars and thinkers in Europe realized that Americans will never be radicalized economically. We had this at the time, this strong middle class. We weren't going to be turned against another out of economic resentments. Instead, they turn to identifying social resentments, especially raised right. I mean, this is where you get these thinkers, are where you get terms like white privileged comes from a guy Noel Ignatiev as part of this whole coterie of Marxist thinkers, and the idea that we were going to be not fellow Americans, but members of tribes that were dead set against one another by class interest. That really gets entrenched during this time, and you can see it now. I mean, this is why I argue in the book that identity politics really is poisoned to our republic. It undermakes the bonds of affection that are supposed to bind us together, and that means that those bonds of affection are what we have to recover. I mean, when you talk about people as if they were a disease, you know, as Joe Biden said, we have a pandemic of the unvaccinated. Or when you say that, you know, races can never get along because there's inherent racism in our DNA, you're really pouring acid onto the pies that bind. What the antidote for this is what the Greeks called philia, friendship, civic love. It's an act of love to get up in the morning and work together with your neighbor to face the problems in front of you, face to face, action, person to person in neighbors. We're seeing a lot of it on these communities, and out here in Nashville, we're seeing it also in Florida. You know, that's really heartening, and it is the way forward if we're going to get over this poison.
Speaker 2: Well fascinating story here in these major crises that you provide solutions. So let's talk about the old adage if you fail to study history, you're doomed to repeat it. I mean, that's pretty much another current of what I'm hearing how you out this particular interview. But if you had to sum up your book to the listening audience out there, what would you say. I mean, you've done a beautiful job, in my opinion, of identifying the five main crises that you see, but give us more of the direct connection of how this book is useful for individuals out there so that they may transform their world or feel hope instead of despair. And as I like to say always on this particular podcast, the Doctor's Guy Experience, we want to come from the positivity and we wouldn't be able to do this if it wasn't for our producer, Richard Dugan, who we think in the background, but you have the floor service. We sadly have to include this in just a few more moments. But I'm always excited and I always ask this, but the guests that we really like, would you be willing to come back at a future time to explore this in a much bigger opportunity here and much deeper with the length of questions.
Speaker 1: Oh, I would be absolutely delighted. It's been such pleasure, and I'm glad that you've brought us to this point to conclude, because this is one thing that's really close to my heart. You know, I'm not going to sit here and tell you what's going to happen tomorrow. I think there's enough of that out there already. And the truth is, we don't know the future, and so if our hope is based on a certainty that everything is going to go right, then it will be a fragile kind of hope. But there is a deeper form of hope. There's a form of hope that doesn't come out of telling the future or reading the tea leaves. That comes from studying history and understanding that we are inheritors of a long and resilient tradition. When Cicero, the Great Roman the statesman, had to excuse himself from public life in Rome because it was becoming too dangerous for him, he said he was going to write create a Republic in letters, that he was going to form this kind of theoretical basis for believing in republican government. Now, in the short term, Cicero may have failed, I mean, the republic did end, and he was one of the victims of the new regime. But we are living today in his legacy, at least in part of seeing John Adams, who poured over Cicero's speeches and gave his own speech in defense of our declaration of independence. It's not a matter of indifference. What happens tomorrow. We should invest ourselves deeply in the political fights of the day. There's no question, but we are carriers of a light that goes further and deeper than just what happens in politics today or tomorrow. We have no room for despair. What we have as a job to do, and that's to wake up and seek the true, the good, and the beautiful in the city where we find ourselves. That will be enough.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I got to ask this final question here. This one always has bothered me. From all the greats that you talk about, and all the great writings, and particularly the Roman Empire, with all the great wisdom that they had, what was, in your opinion, the fall of the Roman Empire? What was the causation? In your opinion, one whole study. This is probably much better than most people we would talk to.
Speaker 1: I believe the old story that it was over extension and hubris. I think those two things together brought the Roman Empire down. I think that you know the Republic, which was this perpetual motion machine that's carefully calibrated in designs that have institutions to keep the Romans together, to keep the different social classes and political classes working together. It was It was beautifully conceived and beautifully executed for a long time, but in some sense it became a victim of its own success as they began expanding and as they began to forget that the citizenship, the Roman citizenship wasn't just a benefits package. It wasn't just something that you know, you kind of got all these goodies from the state. It was actually a set of moral responsibility. And that's I think a lesson that we can take as well. American citizenship is a beautiful gift. It's winning the lottery in a lot of ways between born an American citizens, but that doesn't mean it comes without any sort of responsibilities. We do have a role play in this nation, and you know, we are handed not just the vote, but life within this civilization. You know, to get up every morning and go out into our neighbors and to our neighborhoods, and you know, to actually face the human sized problems that faced us together. That's not an option. That's our role, it's our calling. It's a gift, but it's also a responsibility. So I think remembering that would be something we could draw from the Fall of.
Speaker 2: Rome interesting and relating to the reality crisis. A great quote here, and if you don't mind me taking to liberty quote course in control matter, because we control the mind. Reality is inside the skull. You must get rid of those nineteenth century ideas about the laws of nature. We make the laws of nature. End. Quote from the great George or Well. I'm a prolific book that everybody has read in high school and hopefully they can remember it nineteen eighty four. Spencer. I want to thank you for your time today again. We appreciate your time here on the very interesting show that people tell us, and we're so proud to do it, the Doctor Sky Experience, proudly here on America's number one main radio station, Talk Radio seventy seven WABC, out of New York, around the nation, around the world, and probably even out of the universe, the crown jewel of radio Iconic off Radio seventy seventy WABC. And please stay on the line as we go to our hard break here. We'd love to have you back again again. The book, ladies and gentlemen, I must have in a must read book is in our opinion and many others great reviews. How to Save the West, Ancient Wisdom by modern pricing Dger Claveland. Thank you. You've been a great guest and we look forward to talking with you soon.
Speaker 1: It was a delight. Thanks so much for having me on