Speaker 1: You are about to listen to the Doctor Dahlia show, Sasey stimulating talk radio, and now here's doctor Dahlia. Doctor doctor do me true, I'm supposed to do Hi.
Speaker 2: We are back on the Doctor Delia's show one eight seven seven Doctor Dolly one eight seven seven D O C D A L. I. So in my neck of the woods, it looks like we have a doctor accused of running a ninety five million dollar scheme to defraud Medicare. I think the cases of fraud are gonna just keep coming and keep I mean now that we have a task for us under jd Vance and doctor Oz who's the RFK junior, and under the Trump administration looking for this, I think we're gonna see a lot of these cases finally exposed.
Speaker 3: But this is an alleged case.
Speaker 2: Involving somebody I believe in my neck of the woods, a grand jury indicted doctor Stephen Dubin seventy four years old for allegedly billing for medically unnecessary amniotic wound alligraphs applied to elderly Medicare patients. This is according to the US Attorney's Office for Nevada. They say this has been reported by News Iree that this indictment exposes a scheme driven by greed, not medicine, as alleged, this provider exploited elderly patients by pushing costly and unnecessary medical procedures, then lied to Medicare to pocket millions of taxpayer dollars. That's according to Assistant Attorney General Colin M McDonald of the Justice Department's National Fund Endorsement Division. Prosecutors alleged doctor received other illegal kickbacks, bribes, and rebates from two different alligraph distributors while Medicare paid over fifty four million dollars. I'm blown away because by this, because as a physician who built Medicare, trying to get Medicare to pay me for just a simple visit of a patient I'm seeing for blood pressure or a simple urine test or a flu shot was like pulling teeth. Remember, I can only get twelve cents for a flu shot I gave with Medicare. And and I'm looking at these people. They figure out the vulnerabilities, and it's it's and and unfortunately, I'm just trying to give good care to a Medicare patient and I'm barely getting paid yet Yet uh, you know, these individuals are figuring out how to builk millions of dollars chows. The system is completely messed up. According to this article by News three, Dubin and other co conspirators applied the alligraphs to patients without regards to medical necessity. According to the allegations they use, they included applying them to infected wounds, wounds that were not responding to treatment, and in quantities that exceeded the size of wounds. So I believe they might have been able to bill per size of it. So if it was a if it was a procedure that let's say, only needed like a two by two, a two centimeter by two centimeter, or a five cent by five centimeter. Basically, an allograph is a tissue or a piece of an organ or a cell line that you can as opposed to like an autographed your own grafting. An allographed is from one person to another, and you could use it from a from a cadaver, you could use it from a human donor. But it's another tissue. It's a tissue from another body part from another individual that can be used to help you heal. So let's say somebody has severe burns and they've lost a lot of surface area of their skin. We may try to do an autographed and use some of your own, your own skin from your butt or another part of the body that didn't get hurt. But if you're injured and you're sick and you're not able to tolerate the procedure, or you have or poor skin, we're gonna want to use healthy skin from a donor. And so we use alligraphs for bones and skin ligaments and all.
Speaker 3: Sorts of different things. So it's a very very common process.
Speaker 2: It's just allegedly this doctor Duban and his co conspirators, you know, evaded the medical necessity. He took advantage from what we understand, and then they say that he funded a lavish lifestyle with multimillion dollar yachts for himself.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: And the indictment charges him with conspiracy to commit healthcare fraud and five counts of health care fraud. If convicted, he faces up to ten years of prison for each count.
Speaker 3: I was listening to J.
Speaker 2: D Vance today speak about the fraud. He said what surprised him was that many cases of fraud weren't even prosecuted. Cases that amounted to a million dollars where there were thresholds where the government said, we're not even going to pursue it. Now he has announced that they've identified two hundred thirty billion dollars in federal program fraud. They prevented fifty six billion dollars going out on improper payments. He is urging Congress to pass a new oversight legislation. He says some Democratic governors are working with him, but a big concern they have is when they do do snap benefits or Medicare and Medicaid benefits, that the states are not being transparent and if a state does not want to be trained, once the money goes to the state, the government doesn't get to see it or know what's going on, and so it could happen to like what we saw in Minnesota with the Somali fraud scheme that happened with some Somali residents and immigrants.
Speaker 3: So JD.
Speaker 2: Vans wants there to be laws saying if you're going to be getting government money, there has to be transparency on where the money goes. I'm surprised that there has to be a law for that that should already be commonplace. I mean, that's just it's you know, if you I don't run a nonprofit. If you run a nonprofit, if you get money into that nonprofit, you have to be very transparent or where the money goes. I think you could use up to thirty five percent for administrative costs for your phone billing, your electricity bill, and your rent and your salaries and stuff. But the rest of it, the sixty five percent, at least, you need to show, you know, where that's going to. There has to be transparency. And so this is a huge watershed moment in terms of fraud. I worry that after the Trump administration, if it's going to go back the other way. I mean, this gravy train has you know, really been so chaotic and allowed politicians and many people to take advantage. But you know, to you advance wants reforms, he does need a little bit more money, he says. Even though they're saving tax payer money, they're involving.
Speaker 3: So many task forces and so.
Speaker 2: Many government agencies that is involving resources, and they do need funds to continue to pursue this, which I completely understand. But like he said, he said, the federal government distributes money to states for the Supplemental Nutrition Assessors program SNAP, and the federal government has no visibility into who is ultimately getting those benefits.
Speaker 3: He said.
Speaker 2: If California provides those food stamp benefits to an illegal alien, to a violent criminal, the federal government has no visibility, and sometimes the states themselves have no visibility, he says. So we need to work with Congress, and we need some legislation that would actually force some data sharing between state governments and the federal governments.
Speaker 3: I agree with that. I think that is completely justifiable and valid.
Speaker 2: I don't know what the Democrats are gonna do, but they're better do something. One eight seven seven out DELI.
Speaker 1: This is an urgent announcement for anyone that's ten thousand dollars or more in debt. Before you make another minimum payment, you need to know there are special programs that can completely free you of your debt. Total Financial Freedom can help you become debt free in months instead of years. Resolve your credit card debt, signature loans, department store cards, internet loans, and timeshares. Call Total Financial Freedom Now at eight hundred eight seven eight sixty twenty for a free consultation for sixteen years. Total Financial Freedom has helped thousands get out of debt. You can feel confident when calling because Total Financial Freedom is a plus rated by the Better Business Bureau. Battling for years and years stuck in the endless cycle of minimum payments could take decades. You have the right to get your debt resolved and substantially reduce your monthly payments. Call Total Financial Freedom now at eight hundred eight seven eight sixty twenty. That's eight hundred eight seven eight sixty twenty, eight hundred eight seven eight six zero two zero.
Speaker 5: Let's face it, guys, we're living in times where the truth is becoming more suppressed and censorship is increasing in the alarming rate, especially on social media platforms. It's Clyde and I want to tell you about a safe and secure digital playground we put together just for you. It's aftermath dot media. You get access to thousands of ground zero archives and podcasts, along with our private social media groups with your basic membership starting at only seven dollars a month. Each subscription includes tech support, access to the RSS feeds, along with our own chat room and Telegram channel. In addition, the premium membership includes research study groups, webinars, a document and movie library, a live video stream of Ground Zero, a monthly zoom chat with me, and other bonus content. Be sure to check out our yearly specials as well. Sign up today. While you're thinking about it, sign up at aftermath dot media again, that's aftermath dot Media.
Speaker 2: The back of Doctor Delia's show one eight seven seven Dot Dolly one eight seven seven d O C D A l I. Big thanks the Talk Media Network for making the show happen. Big thanks to Daniel, our producer, and big thanks.
Speaker 3: To y'all for tuning in. We really do appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Don't forget the follow us on Twitter or exit Doctor Dahlia Facebook, that Doctor Dahlia showing on YouTube, click like and subscribe. So, with the back and forth between biological men and women's sports, what a matchup like Clay Travis from OutKick had suggested, what a matchup of a boy team and a girl team?
Speaker 3: Put the discussion to rest.
Speaker 2: And he's not even asking for men's NBA to go up against the WNA or a college team like Duke to go up against the WNBA. Clay Travis is suggesting and has put ten million dollars on the line for the Las Vegas aces. We're pretty proud of good team out of my neck of the woods to play a high school boys team, and no matter who wins, we'll get the ten million.
Speaker 3: Either the WNBA team will.
Speaker 2: Get his ten million or the high school basketball team we'll get the ten million.
Speaker 3: Now, I know a lot of people thinking.
Speaker 2: Okay, well this is just Clay Travis's way of getting some attention and all that. But we keep going back and forth with what is legitimate in sports? What sidelines women? Are we hurting women's progress by forcing them to lose against a biological male and affecting their private spaces and privacy, which is something that women have long tried to fight for. Uh in sports? You know, there was it was it was all about women's It was fascinating how the Democrats were so in support of women's sports and women in safe spaces and all that. And then all of a sudden, now that the subject came up with biological males uh identified as women. Now the Democrats are split, going wait a second, Uh.
Speaker 3: Now, now they don't know what to support.
Speaker 2: And I'm frustrated that they're really starting to beat up our players about this. Okay, I I don't want our Olympic medalists, and our and our our Olympic athletes, and our w NBA players, and our football players and our basketball players and our high school player. I don't want individuals being consistently harassed by reporters to take a political side, and this is what we're seeing. Caitlin Clark was asked, Caitlin Clark the Indiana Fever, and I believe just lost to the I believe the Minnesota Lynks a few days bay. So what was she asked about the Save Women's Sports movement? And she was asked about the controversy because there's demonstrations going outside the Indiana Fever games. When her teammate Sophie Cunningham voice for support for protecting women's sports from biological males back in July. Rallies and support of Cunningham have followed the Fever to their last three games, and there's also been counter protests. Well, Caln Clark doesn't want to talk about that. They just lost the game, and so when she was asked by a reporter, she said, I think for us, it's not really a discussion we really have in our locker room. She says, I think it's for the leagues and the governing bodies to work with their athletes to find solutions. Our focus is on basketball, that's what we talk about and how we can get wins, and obviously we didn't do that tonight, so we need to find an area to improve in that way. I guess she was then hit with another follow up question and she said, I just answered for you. So these you know, making people pick a side, get political.
Speaker 3: It's really distracting. You want your athletes to focus on athletics.
Speaker 2: Just because the media and just because some politicians are all about politics doesn't mean the rest of us have to.
Speaker 3: Now I'm trying to warn medical students about this too. Don't let your patients distract you with politics.
Speaker 2: Your job is to take care of every patient, no matter their creed, their color, their race, their belief Don't be getting into these political discussions. If you like politics, that's something you want to do, that's one thing. But don't get distracted, don't get biased, don't get angry. Your job is to focus on the patient. These players' jobs are to focus on the sport.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: So Klay Travis comes up with an idea where and I know some people think it's gimmicky, but this is interesting. I don't think it'll work, and I don't think the WNBA is gonna act on it, but it is interesting where you know, he gives a million dollars to whoever wins the game. WNBA or boys high school now like the Las Vegas Aces, I mean, their height can range anywhere from what five nine to six five one hundred seventy five pounds on average. Whereas you know a high school boys team, some of these boys don't reach their full height until they're eighteen nineteen, so you know, some of the boys could be shorter.
Speaker 3: Some of the boys might not be in the two hundred pound range, so.
Speaker 2: There could be a little bit more of a playing field. If you take a full grown woman on the WNBA and compete them in a pubert or male on a high school basketball team, and I'm assuming he's choosing varsity, so many of them have already gone through a good part of their puberty. Uh that you know, to to try to uh compare a male and female biologically in a game. I still think that if you put them up against a high school male team, I think the w NBA would win because they've been playing longer. They you know, they're they're they they there were seasoned, they have the experience, and so I think with with with the biological advantage that a high school male could have if again they haven't reached their full height or capabilities. That I mean, if you're trying to make a point the biological males without any restrictions can interfere with female sports, then you know, to kind of hinder the the or to you know, affect the sample size. I don't know if that would be the most equable I would I would like to see a w NBA against a college team. I think you would definitely see the differences and it would You'll be pretty apparent the w a A is not gonna go for this because uh and and interestingly, uh, they shouldn't. If I was advising the w NBA from a marketing standpoint, from my PR background, I would say not to because them losing to men would not be a good look. The w n B A is already struggling in terms of ticket sales, in terms of getting people interested because people really like watching male in sports. They've been struggling watching female in sports, and so some things that have they've tried to grasp onto is controversy is some notoriety of some of the players, some of the fights, the looks, trying to have attractive players. I mean they're there's there's they's they've been trying to find and they are. They're gaining especially and my next one, Las Vegas as is are pretty damn good.
Speaker 3: I mean, they're it's it's a fun game to watch. They're good.
Speaker 2: They play some damn good basketball women could play. But that will ruin it for people when they if they see them them, you know, not be able to you know, beat men.
Speaker 3: Uh uh. And and it's I I.
Speaker 2: Don't think I don't think it would help the w n b A. I think it would help the controversy. I think, you know, somebody has to understand. Somebody has to be really, really honest.
Speaker 3: I understand.
Speaker 2: I think it was the Minnesota Lynx coach that that wore a shirt saying, you know, like, uh uh, you know trans kids. I forget what her her shirt said that, you know, they should have access to sports. Any child should have access to sports, but the biological males should be playing with the biological males and the biological female should play with the biological females. You know, uh uh, it's it's and and the fact that we're having this conversation and eight to ninety percent of the country agrees with this, but it's being.
Speaker 3: Used as a distraction.
Speaker 2: This is so that people are not aware of the mess Biden did or other things going on. People are trying to use this as a distraction, and and I don't.
Speaker 3: Like that, especially when it comes to sports, and sports is supposed to be our escape.
Speaker 2: But seeing a biological high school male compete against a biological female, We've seen videos of what happens.
Speaker 3: These women are getting hurt. If you try to step.
Speaker 2: Up and use a female adult against a high school boy, that would be interesting to watch, But it's it's again, somebody with the experience could still out maneuver them, probably outshoot them now and and and then also will the boys be concerned about tackling Remember these boys might have never played against a female and having a female and they're afraid to accidentally touch something or I mean, if you watch the contact between these baseball play these basketball players, they contact.
Speaker 3: Each other a lot. They are all up in their business.
Speaker 2: And now they have a female with boobies, they're gonna act different, they're gonna play different, and so I don't think it would be a true test, But seeing a college team against a w NBA might be more of a true test.
Speaker 3: One eight to seven to seven Doctor Dollar, Doctor.
Speaker 2: Dahlia, Here are you tired, burned out, gaining weight, succumbing to the daily pressures of life? Well, how's your dopamine doing? How you feel right now, how you'll feel an hour from now, and how you'll feel next week is completely reliant on your dopamine. Our daily motivation and willingness to push your challenges depends on the intricate chemical process dopamine provides. Christian Caliqus and I created Deployed Dopamine, a book that tells you what dopamine is, when it dysfunctions, and how to successfully deplay it when needed. Find Deploying Dopamine on Amazon today check it out.
Speaker 6: A Hot Shine Secret, we share the science behind common diesel problems, For example, diesel fuel set levels. The cetane rating in diesel fuel is forty two to forty five. Most diesel engines operate more efficiently with the cetane rating of forty eight to fifty one. Treatment of Hodshot Secret Diesel Extreme will raise your seatane seven points, increase fuel economy, and improve cold starts.
Speaker 5: Hot Shot Secret Diesel Extreme is available in nationwide at truck stops, Fine Farm, in auto stores and online at Hotshotsecret dot com.
Speaker 7: Hot Shot Secrets Cowered by Science.
Speaker 2: And we're back on the Doctor Dalis Show.
Speaker 3: Thank you all for tuning in.
Speaker 2: I thought Chipotle was going to be out of the news for a little bit, but they're back in the news.
Speaker 3: Poor Chipotle.
Speaker 2: I'm a big fan of Chipotle, but when we were talking about food borne illnesses, Chipotle seems to kind of keep getting you know, beat up on because they offer fresh ingredients. Well, whenever you offer fresh ingredients, you sometimes can have a higher risk of being at risk of you know, non preservatives.
Speaker 3: Fighting off some of these bacteria.
Speaker 2: And so Chipotle has had to pull teleipennos from its menus, and the US food chain said in a statement that they have proactively removed talapenos from their restaurants as public health officials are investigating ace source of a salmonella outbreak. The announcement came after Bloomberg News reporter that Chipotle had removed jalapenios from multiple stores of Minnesota. Apparently there's a salmonella outbreak in the state that has sickened over one hundred and ten people. They say Chipotle's move according to Huffington Post huff Post, they say Chipotle's move comes on the heels of two people in Michigan dying from the cyclo spora outbreak. Chipotle is not related as we know to the cyclospora outbreak, but being what happened with that and the recalls that have been done, including Taco Bell's lettuce, they're not taking any chance.
Speaker 3: Now. Salmonella is different from the parasite cyclo Spora.
Speaker 2: It's a bacteria. Many individuals will be able to self many salmonella infections may self limit, but sometimes you do need antibiotics.
Speaker 3: Chipotle said in a statement.
Speaker 2: We are aware that public health authorities are investigating the source of a salmonilla outbreak in the supply chain, impacting several food service retailers. We're cooperating with the public health authorities in their efforts. Out of an abundance of caution, we proactively remove jalapenos from our restaurants and replaced them with product from different growers. It does not mean Chipotle's jalapenos are the source of anything, but.
Speaker 3: They are playing it safe.
Speaker 2: The Cyclosporus cayatines ensis outbreak now has reached over twelve two hundred twenty five reported to the CDC. There are I believe twenty thousand now unreported or a nondocumented or confirmed cases, and the investigation by the FDA linked one of the outbreaks to Iceberg lettuce served at Taco Bell restaurants sourced from privately held Taylor Farms operations in central Mexico. Walmart and Cisco have joined Taco Bell in removing potentially affected lettuce.
Speaker 3: Also, I guess, the.
Speaker 2: Nation's largest food distributor has halted Mexican lettuce Percha. Cisco will stop buying Iceberg lettuce from Mexico as federal health officials are investigating this outbreak now. This has been reported by Fox Business. The announcer from Cisco's CEO, Kevin Hurricane, comes as the FDA and the centers of CDC investigate the outbreak after there have been two deaths reported in Michigan. Those individuals did have other medical conditions, but still because they had cyclospora. We cannot say cyclo spor is completely benign. It can cause hospitalizations as we have seen, and it can cause death. Now, the outbreak, as I said before, was linked to Iceberg lettuce sourced from Central Mexico through Taylor Farms to Mexico or Meco Taylor Farms. US businesses voluntarily were called certain Iceberg lettuce products sold under the Tailor Fresh Foods and market Side brands. The company has maintained that the FDA has still not identified a confirmed positive test for cyclo sport.
Speaker 3: Remember there was a false positive test, but out of.
Speaker 2: Precaution, they still allowed their distributors to initiate recalls. As you know, psychic sprisis is an intestinal illness, not a bacteria, but it's caused by the parasite sex Spora Caya tenensis and e. We can actually use an antibiotic such as backdrum. Even I believe xyrmyacin can be effective at preventing its replication and fullic acid metabolism. The sulfur works that way. The sulfa drug like bactrum ac courds to the CITC. The infection causes watery, often explosive diarrhea that could last for weeks or even months if untreated. Other centers include a dominal cramping, bloating, nausea, fatigue, and significant weight loss. You have some idiots on TikTok saying they want to lose.
Speaker 3: Weight and get it, get it on purpose. Please do not get this on purpose? All right? Not good? One eight seven seven Doc Dolly one eight seven seven d C D A l I. So this is a scary case.
Speaker 2: A Georgia woman is suing because she had an unnecessary hysterectomy after the lab fixed up her results and cancer misdiagnosis. She comes from Atlanta and she says there was a negligent handling of a tissue sample that led her to be misdiagnosed with aggressive form of uterine cancer. She underwent a full hysterectomy which she was forty three forced into premature menopause. Doctors removed her cervix uters Filippian tubes ovaries last year and it's against Kaiser Foundation Health Plan of Georgia, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan and Kaiser Permanente Insurance company. The lab technicians also being sued. The ones who handled Cassandra Barksdale's sample. She went to a doctor at a Kaiser Permanente Center of January twenty twenty five, had admirable uterine bleeding and uterine fibroids. The lawsuit says she was referred for a consultation, according to NBC News, and had an endometrial tissue biopsy on March twenty twenty five. The tissue was submitted to Quest Diagnostics for pathology. She was told on March seventeenth that she had a high grade aggressive endometrial uterine cancer. She had a CT scan, but the suit says there was no signs of cancer, so she was sent to a doctor at Northside Hospital, Atlanta, Barksdale. New doctor recommended in total hysterectomy, the removeover over. He's lifting her biopsies based on our previous imagine records and path reports, but testing the tissue after her surgery, which is what they do to see how you know, they'll take the uterus and the lining and they'll test it. There was no signs of cancer in the entire individual cavity, which means somebody screwed up and mixed her results up. Now, this is tricky I and it's horrific that this happened. She's seeking at least ten thousand dollars in damages in a jury trial. This is this should have never happened. But somebody could say, why didn't the doctor just redo the test? Why didn't the doctor just you know, if the CT look negative, why don't redo the biopsy? The probability of a biopsy being wrong, especially showing high grade, is so rare that let's say you decide, you know what, I'm just gonna, for poops and giggles, gonna redo the test, which insurance companies don't really let you do. We used to redo tests, do tests two three times. They don't let us do that anymore. You have the test, you need to justify why you're doing it a second time. And if you say, well, I think the lab is messing up, that you know as much as I would think that, because I've seen labs mess up that most insurance won't. They'll make the patient pay for it. But let's say you do a biops. You'd say you do an endimetroal biopsy, which is where you put a little type head into the universe and then you suck out some of the lining and then you plunge her it into a vial and send it to a lab. Let's say that comes out negative. Well, now you have a woman who has two tests, one that says negative biopsy and one that says a very highly aggressive cancer. Now one thing they might have been able to do is take her in for a procedure and do a more thorough scraping. But if you're gonna already scrape everything off and it's a woman who might not be having kids anymore, they might have suggested, do you want to just get this removed? And so it's it's it's bad that this happened because if she had a normal, normal biopsy, she might have never underwent having a hysterectomy. Now I'm very glad I had my hysterectomy, but some women who have hysterectomies everything's different, you know, their bladder, control, sex, their body image. So there's you know, it's it's not very easy for somebody to get a hysterect to me, for some of us, we love it, but others, no, they might not love it. And they have every right and she has every right to, you know, be concerned and complain. But but you know, with with something like this, you know we've we've heard of babies getting swapped right, right, we have those two men who an ancestry and me test clued them in that they might not be related to their biological or to their parents who they thought were their biological parents.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 2: Lab errors happened, and I don't know why, and that it's frightening to think that happens. And when I, you know, ran my office and I, you know, would get a lab test back. I always tried to confirm to the best of my abilities, and there's only so much you could do. You can't micromanage everything. You have to rely on a lab to do their part. And for something like this to happen. Now, you know, some of these other doctors might say, look, you know this was the lab result.
Speaker 3: I had to go with that, you know. But but a.
Speaker 2: Lawyer can still say, look, we're gonna sue because you should have double checked. That's one of the reasons why I had an X ray machine in my office.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to just believe what the radiologist said.
Speaker 2: I wanted to look at the X ray myself, because that's how I was trained. But am I able to look at the pathology myself? No?
Speaker 3: If I don't have a lab. I can't do that. One eight seven seven, Doctor Alli.
Speaker 8: CARLAMI here to tell you about our newest website for old time radio lovers. It's one hundred Radio Shows dot Com. At this site there are five old time radio shows waiting for you to download free as our gift to you, and be sure to browse the additional seven hundred old time radio shows available to you for seventy percent off by using the promo code radio at checkout. This is a limited time offer, so log onto one hundred Radio Shows dot com. That's one zero zero Radio shows dot com.
Speaker 7: Have you ever thought you'd like to buy and sell houses but didn't know how or where to get the money. My name is Ron Legrand, and over the past forty years, I've bought over three thousand houses without using my money or credit, and taught thousands to do the same today, even in a virtual environment, we buy nice houses and nice neighborhoods using no banks, relters, contractors, or other costly entanglements, and build huge cash flow and wealth without the hassle of tenants, all without credit and little or no money. You don't need a license or experience, and I'll show you exactly how it's done. Text free to ninety nine seven ninety nine and I'll send you my free training. I promise you I'll change the way you think about real estate and open the door to a new lifestyle that doesn't involve risk or rehabs and can quickly replace your current income. Text free to ninety nine seven ninety nine and let me show you how to take your life back and build cash flow and wealth from your home. That's free to ninety nine seven ninety nine. Again free to ninety nine seven ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Hi everyone, Doctor Dahlia here.
Speaker 2: Thousands of physicians, residents, nurses, and medical students are silently dealing with depression, and tragically, four hundred take their lives each year.
Speaker 3: Four hundred.
Speaker 2: I wrote The Depressed Doctor, hoping to reach out to anyone struggling.
Speaker 3: You're not alone, don't stay silent.
Speaker 2: The Depressed Doctor can be found on Amazon or the book can be found on doctor dalia dot com. And if you are anyone you know need help, call her text nine eighty eight the National Suicide and Crisis Hotline. And we're back on the Doctor Dahlia's Show. So while we're waiting for our next guest, this new study that came out earlier this week has revealed that Americans are using marijuana more than drinking alcohol, more than smoking cigarettes. Some people think this is a good thing, some people think this is a bad thing. The rise in cannabis has been always there, but now that people feel more comfortable because of the legalization, I think we're having more people admit it. And so whereas patients you say, oh, I don't use marijuana, and I'm like really, and they're like, oh, yeah, I do, now people are very open about it because they you know, back in COVID, remember you couldn't go to the dentist, you couldn't go to a restaurant, You had trouble walking into a pharmacy without showing your papers and your mask. But you could go in to a cannabis dispensary. So yes, obviously cannabis use has grown and has become very very popular. These Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration released data from the twenty twenty five National Survey on Drug Use in Health last week showing twenty one point four million Americans or using marijuana daily or almost every day. The figure overtook daily cigarette smokers, which is our about twenty million, and those who consume alcohol daily seventeen point two million. Overall, SAMSA found that forty three point eight million Americans used cannabis on a regular basis. Thirty six point one million smokes cigarettes regularly. That's one in eight. You know, I'm gonna want to talk a little bit about this more later this week. But using marijuana daily? Are they using it for sleep? Are they using it for anxiety? Are they using it for pain? As a doctor, I need to know why people feel that need to use it daily. With cigarettes, okay, you could be a addicted to nicketine with alcohol?
Speaker 3: Are you addicted to alcohol?
Speaker 2: Looking at looking at what twenty million people you know smoking now still daily, almost twenty million using alcohol daily. That needs to be addressed because that's hurting people. But why why is marijuana surpassing that? Is it that people think it's healthy? Is it that they are becoming addicted as well? Is the marijuana withdrawal that we're starting to hear many stars like Sharon Stone say the marijuana withdrawal was so bad that they you know, tried to avoid that.
Speaker 3: They had to get that treated.
Speaker 2: So we we we might be you know, making great movement on the smoking cessation programs and all that.
Speaker 3: But you know, we we.
Speaker 2: Pivoted people to food, and that's why we have an obesity crisis. Now that we're using ozebic and these other medications, people are pivoting to something else. People are very addictive in nature. That's their their you know, dopaminergicusive, you know, bio makeup to to you know, do something on a regular basis habitually. And marijuana is not safe long term. It's causing a lot of issues, depression, anxiety, not to mention, you know, if this is something that I voted to legalize because I wanted to see medicinal applications for pain and anxiety and other things insulin resistance then and sensitivity. If we blow it and are over using it, then we're not gonna be able to utilize it for the medical applications that we might need in the future. So coming up, I want to switch gears to talk about back pain and our next guest, this is a very very interesting condition that's rare that uh, we're gonna learn a lot of So we're gonna be switching gears in just a second.
Speaker 3: And here we go.
Speaker 2: So August is s M a Awareness month. SMA stands for spinal muscular atrophy and I am very, very grateful for our next guest. Spinal muscular atrophy is a genetic disease that disrupts how the body supports healthy muscle function. It ultimately can lead to progressive and debilitating muscle weakness. So it's extremely critical to diagnose this early on, and we've struggled over the last century coming up with achievements, but lately we have been able to make huge, huge advancements in the SMA treatment space, including disease modifying therapies or d mts. Now these treatments target the underlying biology or root scientific cause of the progressive disease versus just managing the symptoms, and we, you know, in medicine, would rather get to the root of it. So this can actually help create a fundamental change that can slow disease progression or reduce its severity. I am really excited for our next guest, doctor Manisha Korb, neuromuscular specialist at Palm Beach Neurology, who is going to discuss the SMA patient experience and how.
Speaker 3: Advancements are helping. Doctor Corp. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 4: Thanks so much for having me here today. I'm excited to be here partnering with Genentech to help raise awareness about spinal muscular atrophy as a paid spokesperson.
Speaker 2: For those who aren't familiar what exactly is spinal muscular atrophy or SMA, and talk to us about how it's diagnosed.
Speaker 4: Spinal muscular atrophy or SMA is a rare genetic condition that causes a loss of a protein in the body that is used to support the health of muscles in the body, and so that can look different from person to person depending on the age of onset of symptoms and the type of mutation that a person is born with. So for infants, they may have a very severe difficulty with breathing and swallowing and meeting their motor milestones such as sitting, crawling, standing, or walking. And for those who it presents later in life, where it's in childhood or adolescence, they may achieve those motor milestones, but they may lose the ability to do them over time where they get weaker and weaker and may revert from walking to having to use a wheelchair later in life. Now it's diagnosed with a simple genetic blood test, and that can be done with your doctor's office. It's also available in prenatal screening and newborn screening.
Speaker 2: How does SMA specifically impact a person's daily routine and their overall sense of independence.
Speaker 4: Yes, so, depending on the age of onset and the type of gene mutation severity that they have, they may have trouble with simple tasks such as breathing and swallowing in the more severe cases, but in milder cases they may be okay with those Those parts may be preserved, but they may have trouble using their hands, using their legs, so for example, getting dressed in the morning, or preparing food or driving, those things may be impaired. But one thing I want to mention it doesn't do is it does not affect your ability to think, or to learn, or to have meaningful relationships.
Speaker 2: The treatment landscape has evolved over the years in how we treat rare diseases SMA. Can you tell us about ev RISTI What are some of the considerations you have when recommending this medication to your patients.
Speaker 4: For a long time, the only methods we had to treat SME were with supportive therapies things like physical therapy and amilatory assisted devices, which still play a major role in how we manage SMA now, but in the last ten years there have been massive leaps in the space of disease modifying therapies. So those are therapies that are treating the root cause of the gene mutation and helping change the overall course of the disease. The one I want to highlight today is called ev RISD also called rizdaplan. This is the first orally administered medication that is FD approves, and it's for all ages of SME, infants, children and adults. It works by restoring that protein that's deficient and helping the muscles sustain their function over time and slowing down disease, stabilizing it and in some cases even allowing the person to get stronger and meet motor milestones. But with all medications we have to think about side effects. In adults, the most common side effects are fever, diarrhea, and rash. But as this is in oral medication, it can provide a more consistent and daily routine for patients who are looking for something that allows them to have that flexibility.
Speaker 2: For our viewers, who might be navigating an SMA diagnosis in.
Speaker 3: Their own family.
Speaker 2: What is the most important piece of advice or help you can share with them today?
Speaker 4: Well, SMA is something that someone is born with and carries as a lifelong condition. It doesn't have to limit them or define them in everything that they do and everything that they want to achieve. I've seen many patients with SME who are able to achieve advanced degrees become doctors, lawyers, or business owners, and they can have meaningful relationships and their own families. So if they have access to a disease modifying therapy, they can again change the overall course of their disease and hopefully prevent that overall progression, slow things down, and maybe even get stronger, sustain those motor functions for longer.
Speaker 2: Doctor Corb, this has been amazing. I'm so glad you've been here. Thank you for enlightening us with this. Where can our viewers go to learn more about SMA and ev risdy So?
Speaker 4: I encourage people to visit a frizzy dot com for more information and talk to the healthcare providers.
Speaker 2: All right, everybody, don't go away, We'll be right back one eight seven seven dot Dolly.
Speaker 9: Can you believe with all the recent violent protests, looting, and destruction, some areas are considering either DeFi or abolishing the police. At a time when America's neighborhoods need the protection of police the most, some elected officials would rather create more chaos by playing politics. If you're sick of elected officials caving in to demands of the radical left, you're not alone. It's time we stand up and declare our support for local police. The majority of police officers are important partners in protecting our God given rights. If you prefer freedom over chaos, then learn how you can help protect the local police that serve your community. Call today and request your free support your local police info packet Nile eight hundred JBS USA one. That's eight hundred JBS USA one. Request your free support your local police info packet by calling eight hundred JBS USA one today