Speaker 1: It is six thirty, it is Friday. It is that time. Thank you to interest it. You'll find an interest it dot com, which the business carrier says is the best business out there to help businesses with their computer related needs and problems and best practices. And the man, the myth, the legend behind interest I joins us every Friday at this time. His name Dave Adda. Welcome back, Dave. Always a pleasure to have you on the show, my friend.
Speaker 2: Always my pleasure to be here, Brian, thanks for having me on.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, where do you want to start?
Speaker 1: I got the three articles you send, We've got dogs, we've got job seekers, and we've got Apple helping the Chinese Communist Party.
Speaker 2: Why don't we do that one last? Why don't we start with the Ukraine deployees nine thousand dollars robots? All okay, you know, the last ten years or so, Brian, we've talked about, you know, robots and how far this technology's advanced for a long time, and you know, it obviously continues to advance. I encourage people to go out and check out like Atlas for example, or must robots optimists and see what these things can do. I know again, we've talked about this. I'm sure you've watched some of these videos. You know, I stumble into these things all the time. But there's been concern by many experts out there for you know, quite a while that these robots, even though many of them have more industrial type applications. And let's be real here, industrial robots have been around for a long long time, right, I mean probably into the late sixties or early seventies. We've seen factories in places like GM and John Deere and so forth, Caterpillar, you know, with the robot arm that's whatever. Yeah, so that kind of I mean, the concept of robots itself is not new, but when you look at the advanced capabilities these things now have, it's pretty pretty wild on a number of fronts. But the weaponization, you know, continues to advance, and it is really kind of scary.
Speaker 1: It is really really scary. And the other creepy thing about it. At least the robots back when the ones you're referring to, the early ones, didn't have animal like or human like qualities. They look like industrial machinery. Now you got these creepy armed dogs. They got four legs and they run around. They kind of act like animals, but they're not, and they're just scary as hell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, to your point, you know, a lot of those earlier industrial robots had limited mobility, right, they were fixed to the ground, and they had a certain you know, range of motion and certain tasks they perform, but for the most part, they were you know, pretty much fixed to one place. Now you've got to your point. Robots that either look like animals are humanoid. They have a wide range of motion, they can perform a wide array of tasks. And again this idea of weaponization, which obviously science fiction writers have been predicting for a long time. But you know, we've seen examples now. And this is a headline from the New York Post. Ukraine deploys nine thousand dollars robot dogs versus Russia, with plans to use them as quote kamakazis unquote on the front lines. Yeah, and you know that this article gets into a variety of different uses. They have pictures of what I'm assuming are Ukrainian soldiers with these robot dogs, which look like something out of an X Files episode, or there is a Black Mirror episode. For folks who haven't seen Black Mirror, on Netflix. You know, there's a Black Mirror episode that once you see this headline and watch it, you will you will definitely see why there are concerns.
Speaker 3: But they watch that show.
Speaker 2: I get it, Brian, I understand.
Speaker 1: So creepy real, and it's like a moment and it's one moment in time ahead of where we are right now. And that's what's so creepy about that show.
Speaker 2: I am not gonna just what you're saying, but they've got some photos and here are the dogs doing different things, and they point out I've cost about nine thousand. Obviously, can't train a soldier for nine thousand dollars, or field a soldier and feed a soldier for nine thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Or get a soldier agree to kill harm reserves?
Speaker 2: Yes, well exactly. I was in the Army of Reserves for eight years back between eighty six and ninety two as a combat engineer, So you know, I'm really familiar with things like C four and landmines and such. And when you think about and that's really old technology. You know, we're going back almost forty years now. When you think of modern land mines, modern explosives that may be much more powerful than C four that I don't know about. When you look at the size of one of these robots, you could pack a substantial amount of C four or other military grade explosive on one of these things and just literally have it walk into a truck or a tank. You know. Now, these don't go that fast at this point. Their maximum speed is nine miles an hour. But what human being can run nine miles an hour for any extended period of time many, you know, so it's it's pretty crazy when you think that. You know, in the old days, you go back and think about World War two or something like that, you have a machine gun nest, right, yeah, and you know you've got to fight the guys and try to take them out, hand grenades, you know, obviously a variety of different weapons. But here you could just have one of these things walk right into it, and depending on how heavily armored it is and how good of a shot you are, I mean, obviously, if you hit this with enough rounds, it's probably not going to survive. But this is the first generation of this stuff. You know, it does not look heavily armored, and obviously that would weigh it down and make it you waste more battery life because according to this article, these things only run about five hours. But it just it shows you the potential future of these sorts of weapons and warn No, I know there's other articles out there about the Army testing robot tanks. And you know, you've got drones. I think drones obviously in my mind are a type of robot.
Speaker 1: They've got drone boats tom Cozi's that blow up ships in the shipping line over in the Middle East.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's And I saw another article which I didn't send you this morning apparently and again you know, I always like to try to fact check this stuff as much as I can, but apparently the Ukrainians have used some sort of drone with a flamethrower on it. Now. So yeah, it's.
Speaker 1: If you can imagine it, it's real. I mean, that's where we are. If you can just imagine it, it probably is a reality out there somewhere behind the scenes, just coming to a theater near you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if it's not in public, Yes, it's probably in a lab somewhere. There's a greed.
Speaker 1: You know, it's real quick here because you get right. I watched the drone display the EBN fireworks, thousand drones flying in synchronicity, And the thing that struck me is like, holy crap, this is a I could write a check and pay for that myself. Like, if I had enough money, I could hire the company. If it's a private company that does this. Right, absolutely, they have the technology to perform that kind of intricate ballet in the sky with a thousand different drones. Can you imagine what the military tick can do. It's just frightening stuff.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 1: Right, we'll come back. We'll talk about employment scams as well as Apple and why are they promoting Chinese communist parties? Spyware apps six forty two, Fify Doctor City talkstation. You can find Dave and his crew Dave Adterscrew interest it dot com. Thank you for sponsoring this important segment. Which way you want to go? You want to go Chinese Communist party or employment scams?
Speaker 2: Why don't we do employment scams next?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 2: I think this is such an important topic and if you just go do a quick search on this, right, So I hit duck dot go. I did a quick search on job scams, and I mean they're just pages and pages of information. Let me give you a couple of headlines here, and then we'll delve into some specifics. The FTC says how to spot the latest job scams. The FBI has reported on this the Better Business Bureau Job Scam Alert, how to spot a job scam. Indeed, a job hosting site right says ten signs of job posting, maybe a scam. NBC says job scam searched one hundred and eighteen percent, and twenty twenty three aided by ai In has a similar headline. And then Money Magazine common job scams and how to avoid them. That's just just me scanning what I found on a simple search, Okay, And I bring this up because I think this is not news to anyone listening. The job market is not good. It's getting worse rapidly from everything I've read, and I know many people who are looking for jobs and struggling mightily at this time. So I wanted to raise this point because I know people are looking for jobs, and I know the market is tough, and scammers, unfortunately, as we've discussed so many times, Brian will go wherever people are. These people are creative and devious, and they will steal your information and or your money any possible way. So I want to warn people while obviously keep looking for a job. I just think it's so despicable that there are scammers out there who would want to hit someone when they're already down. I mean, how would you feel and what impact would that have on you and your family if you're already in financial trouble because you can't find a job and now you have people stealing your money and stealing your information and perhaps your identity as a result. I mean, it's just absolutely despicable. So you know, whether it's something like search engine poisoning, We've talked about this before. People need to understand that the bad guys will spend some moderate amount of money, some nominal amount of money to go post a job on Indeed or Monster or Dice or any job board they'll buy. They'll use search engine optimization techniques and buy sponsored ads. So when you search for something, what shows up on a search engine like Google or Being or a start page or Duck DUCKG or whatever is fake. Because they know the average person doesn't know search engine poisoning is a thing, right, They think that because things show up in a search engine, they must be legit ye, or they show up on a job board, they must be legit, and it's critical to understand it. Just because something shows up in a search, or just because a job is posted to a legitimate job site doesn't mean there isn't a scammer behind it. Right, everything is easy to spoof. These people are smart. They know that average folks don't understand how these things work. So you know real quick, because I know what are out of time, I encourage people, and I'll post this in my notes on Twitter and LinkedIn and so forth. If you just look at the the ND ten signs of job posting maybe fake or the FTC's guidance, there's some great tips there that help you kind of wrap your head around what to look out for. The number one obviously being if it's too good to be true, it probably is. Yeah. Hey, if you suddenly get an unsolicited email from a quote recruiter or headhunter unquote and they want to offer you a three hundred thousand dollars a year remote job working four hours a day, hey guess what?
Speaker 1: Probably scam I'm going to go with. Definitely a scam. Not a week goes by, I don't get an opportunity to represent someone. Are you interested in doing some legal work? I'm like, oh god, you know a delete, just delete delete, delete, delete delete.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, healthy death, skepticism and paranoia goes a long long way in this stuff. And you know, if they want you to pay upfront for training, product or something and then you're going to reimburse you, almost a guaranteed scam. You know, if the recruiter quote unquote wants you to pay upfront, you know, I want to remind people, almost all legitimate recruiters get paid by the employer who wants to hire you when you're placed, and they have an incentive to help you get the largest salary possible because they're getting paid a percentage of your starting salary. So again, the FTC has a bunch of tips, The Federal Trade Commission FBI has information that's indeed paid with the ten tips. And I'll wink all this stuff. So you know, if you are someone you know as looking for a job, your kids, your grandkids, your family, there are plenty of resources out there that will help arm them so that they can make smart decisions, because again, looking for jobs online, that's the way this stuff works. Now.
Speaker 1: Obviously, good Land mind, land mind literally everywhere.
Speaker 2: Everywhere, everywhere, all right, But beware, folks.
Speaker 1: Beware Chinese Communist Party being helped out by Apple.
Speaker 3: Apparently. We'll talk about that next with Dave Hatter six two.
Speaker 1: If you have carc Detalk station, Dave Hatter's gonna tell us about the Chinese spyware app being promoted by Apple. What's the story on this one? I thought Apple was supposed to be one of the good guys out there, Dave.
Speaker 2: Well, Apple generally is much more privacy and security friendly than their competitors. And I'd just like to remind folks, you know, all these big tech companies have their issues, but when you look at Apple and Microsoft versus folks like Google, Facebook, et cetera, their whole business model really is different. Apple and Microsoft both sell you products, you know, Apple both hardware and software, Microsoft mostly software. And ye, folks can argue with me. Yeah, Google makes Pixel phones, the Android operating system, so they do have some products. Most of the money coming from Google is from your data, same as meta slash Facebook. Right. Yeah, So I think this is an interesting take and I'm glad someone is raising the concern about this. It gets back to these Chinese apps. You and I have talked about before, namely TikTok for a long time and the privacy concerns and propaganda concerns around TikTok. But this guy is an attorney. It's article is written by Joel Thayer, and it's in the Hill Again. I'll post the link. I encourage people to go read it for themselves. This guy apparently is the president of the Digital Progress Institute institute and a tech and telecom lawyer in DC, and he makes some interesting points, really going back to the fact that at the end of the day, if a company is based out of China, it's controlled by the People's Republic of China and the Chinese Communist Party, who have some very onerous laws in general and specifically around data collection and privacy. And he states in here. So I'm going to read directly from the article. For instance, China's twenty fifteen National Security Law compels locally employed Chinese nationals of American companies to assist investigations that may expose operating elements of American companies with citizens. China's twenty twenty one cyber Vulnerability Reporting Law requires Chinese based companies to report security flaws to the Chinese government so they can quote exploit system flaws before cyber vulnerabilities are publicly known unquote. And then you know, he goes on with some other laws. You know, twenty seventeen National Intelligence Law creates a legal obligation for those entities to turn over data collected abroad and domestically to the Chinese government, So that twenty twenty one cyber Vulnerability Reporting Law basically in Layman's term, says, if you, as a Chinese national, become aware of a vulnerability and software, you are required to report it to the Chinese government so they can exploit it before this would be a zero day exploit, before it can be fixed by the manufacturer. That's essentially what that means. So his point, so his point here is you have an app store, and this is not exclusive to Apple. I think he put his sites on Apple primarily because they are seen as more privacy and security friendly. So when you look at it through that lens, this is you know, even more problematic than you know something like the Android store. But this would have the same problems, right if the app originates from a company controlled by a Chinese company or directly from China, you can guarantee any and all data it collects. And let me remind folks, go look at the Apple app Store privacy label for TikTok or any app that Tamu right has recently come in the crosshairs. It's a Chinese shopping app similar to Amazon right and for a lot of these same problems. Look at the privacy label which is required by Apple to be in their store and see what it collects. It's astounding, and most of it is stuff they don't need to provide the service they claim to provide. So, you know, he points out in more detail later in here, you know some of the issues with specific types of apps. But the bottom line is if you're using an app that's controlled by a Chinese company, they are collecting enormous amounts of data about you and potentially using it as a propaganda tool to push pro prc CCP narratives and to push anti American, anti Western narratives, propaganda, spyware, et cetera. So again, this is a theme that keeps coming up, right, and there are many people who have now warned about this. It's why we've seen the push for the TikTok ban there are now people calling for bands on things like Tamu. Again, I encourage people. There was a great article recently, I can't remember the exact headline with something like Tamu is a spyware app in your pocket and you know it goes into detail around this Again, I'll wink all this stuff so people can get more information, share with their family members who might be using these things. I understand the convenience. I understand that it's nice to get cheap goods that will fall apart the first time you use them. But you got to understand the larger psio ops, black ops, propaganda aspects of these things. And even if that isn't a concern to you, where you don't believe it, all of your extremely sensitive data going to Chinese companies who are controlled by the CCP and the PRC, who are increasingly adversarial to all Western countries. Just look at what's been going on in the Philippines recently with them ramming Coast Guard and Philippine Coast Guard chips and so forth. It's not good. There's nothing good that can come of this for you using these apps.
Speaker 1: Amen exclamation Point, interest It Dot commerce fund. David is cruf. You have a company, you have computers, you need interest it. Business Career says they're the best in the business. Thanks for joining the program every Friday at six thirty. I always enjoy our conversations. Obviously very informative and quite often frightening, but you got to get the info out and I'm glad we've got you to help us out. Dave hat Ter, have a wonderful weekend, my friend. We'll talk next Friday.
Speaker 2: Always my pleasure. Brian, have a great day and I'll talk to you in