Speaker 1: Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 2: And now back to v H one salute to singers from the nineties today's installment why they all needed to turn every vowel into the letter A.
Speaker 3: It used to be.
Speaker 4: That you love May, but now it's nineteen nineteen.
Speaker 5: Hi, and I half to say it, are you free?
Speaker 6: The letter head earlier?
Speaker 7: Aleta, thank you.
Speaker 6: This is John Fulbright.
Speaker 4: Hi, This is jar Williams.
Speaker 5: Hi.
Speaker 6: This is Mitch Margle of the Tokens.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 6: This is Gary us Bonds. Matt here on the Rock and Roll History Show. Hey, everybody, welcome back to the Rock and Roll History Show and Hudson River Radio. I'm Brian Horowitz. Tonight we're gonna be talking about musicians who were successful and then changed careers, either by choice or maybe not so much. We'll find out. But before we hop in, as always, allow me to introduce all of the cranbones who are joining us here tonight. First and foremost, from the Richter Observatory, he figured out that the longest drum solo ever was twelve hours, played by the kids sitting behind him on his last flight to England. Neil Richter is here.
Speaker 7: Hey, everybody, should I say?
Speaker 6: And the host of Paranormally Yours. She only sings in the car when it's going in reverse. She's a backup singer. Gl Nuklem is here.
Speaker 4: Oh hell, I mean hello.
Speaker 6: And from the silver screen she saw a vegan, a yoga student, and an atheist walk into a bar. She only knew because they told everybody within the first two minutes. And it's Mercedes Kent is here.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, so true.
Speaker 6: Hey, hey, everybody, and joining us from his upstairs bathroom. He is ready to accept an airplane from any country willing to give him one. He'll also take a boat, a jet ski or an ATV, but no East scooters because those are ridiculous. John Kelly's back with us.
Speaker 2: Hi, John, Hey, Brian, Hey, everybody, good to be here, and I'll gladly accept that plane as long as somebody else pays for the games.
Speaker 7: There you go.
Speaker 6: And last, but not least, the host of Shaving Cream, she decided to download the Titanic movie. It's sinking right now, Barbara vielle Is.
Speaker 8: That just sums up everything, right pretty much.
Speaker 6: Everybody's having a rough weekend, which you know, but we're here to have a good weekend, all right. It was the following week. Yeah, I hear you, but what can we do. We're just gonna make the most of it tonight. We're gonna have a good time. But I thought before we been recently we talked about if you remember, monitoring systems and like what the performers here on stage versus what the audience heres? And Guns and Roses click tracks, we talked about the click tracks and all that. Yeah, well, Guns and Roses had a little thing that kind of made the rounds. It's been a bad month for drummers because Zach Starkey is back out. We're a little behind the times on this.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So Guns and Roses has a new drummer, Isaac Carpenter, and they were doing a show in Japan and he started playing the wrong song. So Axel Rose is trying to correct him. So it's a great example of he's talking into his mic and everybody on stage can hear, but the audience can't and all. So let me play a clip of what happened in Guns and Roses a couple of weeks ago.
Speaker 9: No bad obsession, Bad obsessions?
Speaker 6: Can Isaac not hear me? Somebody answer me.
Speaker 4: I can't.
Speaker 9: I can barely hear whoever's talking, all right.
Speaker 10: My check for dub, my check for.
Speaker 7: H.
Speaker 6: So now they're all back on the right track. But I thought that was a great example of the kind of stuff we were talking about with oops.
Speaker 8: Wow talking about marching to the beat of a different drummer.
Speaker 6: H yeah, but that was That's the point is that it wasn't a hot mic that you know, you got your monitor engineer controlling what everybody's hearing on stage in front of house shuts off axls mic, so you didn't hear that wrong song whole thing going.
Speaker 4: On there, and that person did their job.
Speaker 6: And they did their job.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 6: I don't know who let that clip out, but that's awesome. Yeah, you know, stuff happens. Even when you've been playing for forty something years, you're still gonna have mistakes up there and all that. So I thought that would be something entertaining to share with all y'all. So let us hop it hop in tonight to our career change topic. Barbara, you are going to lead us out tonight.
Speaker 8: Okay, So for musicians who changed careers. My song choice for this topic, I'm gonna mention it in just a bit. It's by a musician fred Neil born Frederick Ralph Morlock Junior on March sixteenth, nineteen thirty six, in Cleveland, Ohio. His family moved to Saint Petersburg, Florida in nineteen forty two, where he started to sing while attending first grade, later learning guitar in sixth grade. He served two years in the Navy and was discharged in nineteen fifty five. He married and divorced several times. And I loved reading all these names of all these super women he was married to, but most notably at least to me, because I recognized the name. His second wife was Elaine Berman, who later married Tony Orlando. Fred Neil composed and recorded my song choice Everybody's Talking in nineteen sixty six, and I can't say the title of that song without my New York accent coming out, so I apologize for that. So it was recorded in sixty six, but it actually wasn't released until nineteen sixty eight on his self titled album, and the song became a hit when it was covered by singer Harry Nilson in nineteen sixty nine. It reached number six on the Billboard Hot one hundred and won a Grammy after being featured in the film Midnight Cowboy.
Speaker 1: So before we.
Speaker 8: Continue, let's listen to the original Fred Neil recording.
Speaker 5: Everybody is talking head me. I don't hear what they're saying, only the ecless. Oh my mind. People stop in steering, I can't see the paces. Holdly the shadow. Who's out there? I'm going with the sun, you shine in through the poor it ring.
Speaker 4: Go in?
Speaker 5: Were the weather suits my clueses banking off of the northeast. When you see down on the.
Speaker 7: Summer breed.
Speaker 11: Snipping over the old shine like stone.
Speaker 5: I'm going in where the sun keeps shining air through the boy and ring, go in where the weather shoots my cloes baking after the northeast, when say, laying on a solar breed skipping over the ocean like stone. Ye, everybody else talking at me, can't hear what the same old many headles on my mind. I'll let my love her.
Speaker 12: Do.
Speaker 6: I let you my love.
Speaker 9: I will let you.
Speaker 13: My love her.
Speaker 12: So.
Speaker 8: Fred Neil had been interested in dolphins since the mid nineteen sixties after visiting the Miami Seaquarium. He had moved to Woodstock in nineteen sixty nine, but left there in the mid nineteen seventies. After co founding the Dolphin Research Project in nineteen seventy, dedicated to stopping the worldwide capture, trafficking, and exploitation of dolphins, he had increasingly spent more time on the Dolphin Project and gradually disappeared from recording altogether, and many of his early nineteen seventies recordings remained unissued and unreleased. In June nineteen eighty seven, he was involved in a car accident that took the life of his girlfriend, and he passed away on July seventh, two thousand and one, from cancer. And the reason I chose this particular artist is because while researching all the various musicians, I found this website that had all these musicians that changed careers and what they changed to and I found this one to be like the most intriguing. I thought this was really really cool. And the other thing, yeah, the other thing that really really caught my eye that just I guess a nerd like me would notice this that his given name Frederick Ralph Morlock, the last name Morlocke. That was the name of the creatures in HG. Well's Time Machine. They were called the Morlocks. If you remember they had no that was his born name. He changed it to Fred Neil, So I kind of liked the fact that he picked Neil, but I would have kept Morlock. I would have changed my name in Neil.
Speaker 4: Or make it a hyphenated last name Neil dash Morlock.
Speaker 6: No, just make your first name more in your last name Locke.
Speaker 4: Hey, whatever works.
Speaker 8: So that was like two things that just like pulled me in. Was the moral lock thing and the dolphin thing. Yeah, well that just sucked me right, And that was it.
Speaker 6: Dolphins and the traffic and well I started thinking ace Ventura and then you said he died from cancer, and I'm like, well, then I can't drop that line right after.
Speaker 8: Yeah, well that's that's it.
Speaker 4: So like that, that's a.
Speaker 6: Pretty drastic career change. That's certainly I would say it's a pretty drastic career.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I like the song. It was a nice dreamy cop. Well, well obviously we've heard it performance.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it was very soothing. I really did like it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, good lead off, Thank you, Barbara, Gail, you're up.
Speaker 4: Thank you. And apparently I am not up on current events in certain ways because I found out I messed up with my choice. Uh, oh yeah, yeah. As a kid in like middle school, I adored Kat Stephen. I still love his music. I thought he left the industry completely, but apparently his son a few years ago talked him back into coming back into secular music. He had a religious conversion at one point, and it's amazing because Okay, his father was Greek Orthodox, his mother was Baptist. He was born and raised in London. They sent him to Catholic school. Earlier in his career, he was into Zen Buddhism. Handed up having a major, major spiritual overhaul at one point later in his life, in nineteen seventy seven, he converted to Islam and that's when he leave up doing secular music for several years. There is so much, so many facts about Kat Stephens. He was born Stephen Dimitri Giorgio. He went right after his conversion, he went by Yusuf Islam and now he just goes by Yusuf. He's a British singer, songwriter and musician. In his whole career, he has sold more than one hundred million records and has more than two billion streams. His music varies from folk, pop, rock, and later in his career to Islamic music now it was for twenty years he did only music which met strict religious standards, meaning as now, I don't know a lot about Islam, but there are some Muslims that say music at all is harahm, it's forbidden. So I learned something I didn't even know there was any music considered acceptable or hellal in Islam. So the song I Chose is something I've always loved. It wasn't released as a single. It was from his album Catch Bull at Four and it was released on the twenty seventh of September in nineteen seventy two. He recorded it in May nineteen seventy two in various different places Studio The Manor Studio in Oxfordshire, Chateau de Ruvi in Eruvilla, France, Morgan Studios in London. The whole album is almost forty minutes long, and the song that I chose because I love love, love love love it is called Angel. See let's have.
Speaker 7: A listen.
Speaker 14: See slang the Angel and sell them Eve and stuff, cancel the windows upfer you Ne's out of offer you Nehver's a house that crystal little little meding your soul so patiently avoiding before y'all used to be whole boy, y'all he used to the hole, the sheer.
Speaker 13: Wrists up the water Belave dimondlong the shore and discermritism, who watch the motion, the cellar door, the breath be wall, the fire, dear man, the part bisiness to magicians, after Dancer, the lot and the Dancer.
Speaker 3: To the park side.
Speaker 14: Her clothes are maid of rainbows and twenty thousand kids shine through the spaces off fur gold dun ogre.
Speaker 6: Here it's our fur gold ogre head.
Speaker 14: Oooh my baby, I want you and on my line fasse awhere fine come jumps will follow you forever.
Speaker 9: If your muny everywhere, if yous me everywhere, He who like the NATO and stands in its suck.
Speaker 14: Down through the windows of rivers of the Doctor, rivers of ac nivers.
Speaker 4: That song never fails to make me feel just joyous and happy and all is right with the world. I just love that. Rumor had it that he partly wrote it about the c s Ea the Ocean, and rumor had it that he also wrote it about Carly Simon, who he was in a relationship with for seven months. I think in the seventies. Now, I asked my colleagues here to listen to the song and see if they could figure out what the background singers are singing. Do any of you have any idea?
Speaker 6: It says, who's going to sign for this? Ups sign for this?
Speaker 7: I like that.
Speaker 4: Actually, we'd like.
Speaker 8: To talk to you about your car's extended warranty.
Speaker 5: Here you go.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's a bit of a trick question, actually, because on December eighth, twenty twenty two, he was interviewed about that very question, and he said, they are made up words. I wanted to sound like an Armenian chorus. Boom dala saqua, boom dalles qua.
Speaker 8: Where did he get Armenian chorus from?
Speaker 6: Who knows?
Speaker 4: I mean, that's like so was specific.
Speaker 6: Then again, who's gonna say that doesn't sound Armenian.
Speaker 4: An Armenian person, right?
Speaker 6: Maybe? Yeah, odds in your favor, you're gonna get away with it.
Speaker 1: But the Armenian person would have to actually think it's Armenian.
Speaker 7: Right, right?
Speaker 4: And I don't offhand know anybody who's like first generation Armenian. So anyway, the album Catch Bullet four, which was actually his sixth studio album, was well His album was well received both commercially and critically. Rolling Stone was happy with the gorgeous melody and orchestration, while simultaneously disappointed by the lack of a single track comparable to Morning Has Broken from Cheezer and the Fire Cat. But I think it's a beautiful, gorgeous song and it just makes me very very happy.
Speaker 6: I can see what.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of like a kind of kind of a feel good, kind of a lift, uplifting, you know it is.
Speaker 6: It's very joyous.
Speaker 4: Yes, I love it.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 6: Excellent, all right, thank you, Gail.
Speaker 4: That's my that's my somewhat erroneous choice.
Speaker 6: No, I think it counts. I think it's twenty year pause and then coming back. I think I think you're okay good. Yeah, all right, We're gonna take a real quick break and we'll be back with more right after this. Hudson River Radio, Your dog likes us.
Speaker 1: This concludes the first part of this cassette. Please turn the cassette over and begin again on side too. This is Hudson River Radio dot Com.
Speaker 2: Ah Ry.
Speaker 6: And welcome back. We are going to hop right back into career changes with John. What do you have for us? John.
Speaker 2: Okay, tonight I selected a song from a British band which is still out there today. This one comes from nineteen ninety three and the song is called Things Can Only Get Better. It was a Northern Irish well, it is a Northern Irish band called d rem As in d Semi colon r e a m or dream. It's what's interesting about the song is I need to say this right from the get go. I can't stand it, okay, So I just need to let everybody in radio land know. But this is not about the song, okay, but I do want to play the song because of the theme of tonight's show, So keep that in mind, please, Okay, Thanks and feel free everybody out there in radio land and my colleagues here at Hudson River Radio to tell me if you love it, you hate it, bash it, praise it, whatever, I'm you know, whatever, bring it on. But anyway, it actually became, according to what I found here on the BBC of all things, a defining British political anthem. And it was a bit of a sleeper hit. It did reach the top of the charts in the UK and it got pretty high on the charts in the US. For a short period of time too.
Speaker 6: Believe it or not.
Speaker 2: However, it's just I just it's it's not one of my favorites. If you were British in the early nineties, you loved it. But I'm not British, not Northern Irish. I'm just a guy from New Jersey who doesn't like the song. So, Brian, why don't we play it? And then? But before you play it again, what I want you to do when you listen to the song, see if you can pick up the keyboards and we'll leave it at that.
Speaker 9: Brian, you can my path, you can wear Mauss shoes.
Speaker 13: Then you too.
Speaker 6: But maybe.
Speaker 5: You ain't never gonna feel this way.
Speaker 13: You ain't never gonna know me.
Speaker 7: But I know you.
Speaker 6: Singing there that bad a can only get better?
Speaker 10: No, only get that.
Speaker 9: You'll be see you, damns me.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna do to tease me.
Speaker 3: Not to day.
Speaker 8: Can only get better, nonly get No, only get they.
Speaker 13: Get on a minion.
Speaker 10: No, I know that, Dad's no, they get better. Sometimes lose myself, I lose time.
Speaker 4: And I can't see the.
Speaker 10: Jez she said on the lad.
Speaker 1: But brid just as you go to too Fa, I got the person to.
Speaker 15: Word and then you sit walk my friend with my shoes, talk like that.
Speaker 3: I'm big into the thing, cannot play.
Speaker 12: Can you?
Speaker 3: So I cannot get.
Speaker 13: I cannot make get.
Speaker 3: You anything.
Speaker 6: Show me bred you do this and agree, and.
Speaker 10: You've shown me.
Speaker 13: I'm just nothing to do this.
Speaker 9: See I look at things now, you die.
Speaker 3: For the one.
Speaker 5: Everything.
Speaker 3: Excuse me? Fuck your man when you.
Speaker 6: See you do like that cop and into everything.
Speaker 1: You cannot lead. You cannot.
Speaker 3: The way that I cannot. I cannot help me get you can.
Speaker 6: It's you a little lighter up there, you know?
Speaker 2: No, okay, I things can only get better by d dream whatever you want to call it. So my take on the song is I was telling my colleagues here while I was playing, it's kind of like one of those coming of age late eighties movies and the song you hear when the credits are rolling, and it's just it's not that they can't sing, they can't play, it's just, I don't know, it's kind of a tired theme.
Speaker 6: But the kind of song where you're getting up and walking out of the room like at the end of the movie. Yeah that you're saying.
Speaker 1: Exactly, Can I just say that John hates this song.
Speaker 4: I've heard worse.
Speaker 7: Now, but you're right.
Speaker 12: I mean it sounds to me like so eighties and it was like so done, yeah, yeah, nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 1: You know what, YB hashett I regurgitate it.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 2: One of the homework assignments I gave everybody out there on radio land was to just kind of make no of the keyboards, because the keyboards. The keyboardists for this particular band was also the keyboardist for a band called Dare. His name is Brian Cox, known today in twenty twenty five as Professor Brian Cox. Mister Cox was studying physics towards the end of his time with the band, and he decided to leave to get his PhD in particle physics as one does, yes, and to study at the CERN super Collider as well. And he so he went from keyboarding for these late eighties and nineties kind of British pop bands going on to a career in physics. He currently is a what is it, He's a professor at the University of Manchester and he also he's become a bit of a guy who kind of makes science easy to understand and if you google his name, Professor Brian Cox, not the actor. You can see all kinds of videos and he talks about planets and he talks about the speed of light and traveling, and it's just he's utterly fascinating in his delivery.
Speaker 6: He also looks.
Speaker 2: It's really funny because he looks like a British rocker.
Speaker 4: He does.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's got the long hair and those British features. That just he looks like a British rocker. But he's known for books like why does E equals MC squared? The quantum Universe and things like that. He also his dissertation. I want to know if anybody out there would like to read his dissertation. It's something that I'm sure it's going to be something you're going to enjoy for some light reading. It was double it was oh gosh, it was double diffraction disassociation at large momentum transfer.
Speaker 4: No, thank you.
Speaker 8: So he went such a monkey right now?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll wait for the cliff notes.
Speaker 2: Yes, And it's one hundred and twenty one pages long. I actually went through it. No, I didn't read it, but I did go through it.
Speaker 4: Maybe they'll make a movie of it.
Speaker 6: Maybe I play the song over the closing credit. But he is a so he left.
Speaker 2: Periodically he dabbles in music, but for the most part he's a professor at the University of Manchester studying and researching particle physics and working at the CERN Hadron Collider. So you can't get farther from music than that, or can you.
Speaker 11: I don't know.
Speaker 12: Well, it sounds like he's a pretty smart guy. And yes, fact that he left that band proves the point that he was a smart guy.
Speaker 6: Exactly exactly. He interesting things about the guy he.
Speaker 2: In nineteen ninety one he earned a Bachelor of Science with first class honors in physics and then after d Dream disbanded in nineteen ninety seven, although they're back and today he completed his Doctor of Philosophy in high energy particle physics at the University of Manchester with the thesis double diffraction disassociation at large momentum transfer say that two times is fixed? Yes so, But today what's fascinating is is that he's a brilliant mind. But he's known for bringing science to the masses to better understand it, and he does all kinds of talk shows and he writes books that people can understand, and which is what he's really famous for today, not for his keyboarding with d Dream and Dare. So that's my presentation here tonight. It was from small beginnings to a brilliant professor doing cutting edge research in particle physics. As I was saying before, he is the Sheldon. He is the modern day, real life Sheldon Cooper.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that's a that's a career switch. Yeah, yeah, that's Google.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 8: I've seen him on TV and I didn't know about the musical beginnings, and I always wondered why he had that stupid beetle haircut.
Speaker 6: Is an old style.
Speaker 2: He's like an eighties rocker or kind of like an eighties po I wouldn't silly rock, but kind of like an eighties pop rock kind of a guy who is a brilliant physicist. They don't know how else to describe it. But it's interesting, as as Neilia pointed out, and he had the brains to leave the band. But you gotta it, just just you gotta wonder how. I wonder how people that brilliant, how they think, you know, you wonder how their brain processes information.
Speaker 6: Yeah, but he's only thinking about particles, not the whole thing. So he's just taking it a little bit out of time.
Speaker 2: Yes, very true. You know I'll give you that, Brian. You know I'll give you that. So that is my my thing tonight. It was Professor Brian Cox, formerly of the band's Dream and Dare. He went from a keyboardist in those bands to particle physics and advanced science.
Speaker 6: There you go. That was a good one. All right, thank you, John, buddy, you are up.
Speaker 12: Okay, Well, my subject for today's topic is drummer Terry Chimes, who went from being a drum smacker to a Crackerbacker chiropractor in real terms. But Terrence Terry Chimes worn in nineteen fifty six an English musician from London, and he's best known as the original drummer for the punk band The Clash, whose other original co founding members included Chimes, with Joe Drummer and Mick Jones both on guitars and vocals, Paul Simon and In on bass, and Keith Levine also on guitar. Now, both Chimes and Levine would leave the band. Keith Levine later formed Public Image Limited with ex sex pistol John Lyden, or as I like to call him, Johnny Rotten, my old pal. The Monter Commercial and Chimes would go back to the Clash to record their first debut, their self titled album. Now, after recording that album, Chimes would once again leave and he was replaced by longtime drummer Papara Hayden. So let's see if I can get this all straight for you here. Chimes played several stints with The Clash Now, the first one from July to November in nineteen seventy six. I guess that's when they founded the group. He left and he came back from January to April nineteen seventy seven, I guess to record the record, and he left, and then he returned in May of nineteen eighty two until February of nineteen eighty three. So we kind of flip flop with Topper, if you see what I'm saying now. It was during that last stint he was on a tour here in the US opening for The Who with the Clash, and that was the only time I got to see them one and only time seeing the Clash open for the Who at Chase Stadium. Now, Topper he had kind of been forced to leave the band for a while because he had sort of a drug addiction problem, so they got Chimes to come back. But before we go any further, let's check out the Clash. But the song I thought was pretty uh at propos for today. It's called Career Opportunities from the debut album of The Clash featuring Terry Chimes on drums, And we'll come back with the rest of the story after that.
Speaker 9: Jo diapp, I used to kick you up a dot com, the one that.
Speaker 5: Never man sick.
Speaker 3: All right, I don't want to know if I him in the.
Speaker 16: I have never stop this, but I want about black for you.
Speaker 9: Carry up one enough every job dieapp.
Speaker 3: I used to kick you up a dock covering.
Speaker 5: The one and never.
Speaker 10: Oh but.
Speaker 3: I'm even bad all the time.
Speaker 9: Bang onna have sucking Untrea shu Bang.
Speaker 14: Gonna have to take away my place.
Speaker 4: If I want to get.
Speaker 3: Them bake it.
Speaker 2: Wow, I got.
Speaker 6: The dog.
Speaker 12: Nev on.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 12: The Clash from their debut nineteen seventy seven sounds a little different from the combat rock days, but that's what they sounded like when they got started. With our topic today, Terry Chimes on the drums. Now if his tenure Terry Chimes tenure with the band was a little confusing. Hang on, this is gonna get even worse.
Speaker 7: Okay.
Speaker 12: The Clash's debut, as I said, was released in the UK in nineteen seventy seven, but it wasn't released here in the US until nineteen seventy nine. That was after their second album, Give Them Enough Rope had already come out here in the US in nineteen seventy eight, so it made their debut album was actually the second release here in the US.
Speaker 6: Is that weird tiy wymy have it?
Speaker 12: It's yeah, why, I have no idea, But probably because that English punk stuff and any of that wasn't really you know, the record companies.
Speaker 7: Were going out your brain, nobody wants.
Speaker 12: To hear this stuff. Well, I guess by nineteen seventy nine they were like, yeah, maybe they do. Anyway, In between stints with the Class you think that, you know, Terry Chimes actually had another you know, he did do other things. He played with Johnny Thunders and the Heartbreakers in seventy seven. Briefly he played with Generation X who Stinger was to become and was Billy Idol. That was in nineteen eighty to eighty one. He also played with Billy Idol for a while as a solo He was in the band Hanoi Rocks in nineteen eighty five and was on tour with Black Sabbath without Ozzie at that time in nineteen eighty seven and nineteen eighty eight, so he did have a you know, he went beyond and did have a pretty good career as a drummer. But it was during this time with Black Sabbath that Chimes first discovered the world of chiropractic. Now, you know, many drummers developed bad backs as a result of hunching over the drums over the kit for many, many years, but this wasn't the case with Chimes. Chimes was introduced to a chiropractor after a marathon game of bowling bowling during downtime with Black Sabbath. You know, they were just hanging out and they said, oh, why don't we go bowling? He had never don it, Well, great, let's go. Yeah, he had never done it before, so he sort of overdid it. They played for like hours, so after it was done, he was hurting. So the band just said, well, we just happened to have a resident chiropractor on call, and you know, let's bring him in. And it not only relieved the pain in his arm, but it planted the seed in his head. Over the next few years to leave the music business and study to be a chiropractor himself in the hopes of giving that kind of relief from pain to others that the Black Sabbath chiropractor had given to him. And by nineteen ninety three he had established several practices throughout England and also became became a trained acupuncturist. And it's interesting to note that while he enjoyed partying like a rock star to some degree, he was also rather health conscious to begin with. He never smoked, he never really indulged in drugs, He was a vegetarian, and he actually gave up drinking entirely when he was only twenty six years old, so.
Speaker 7: He had the health thing going for a while now.
Speaker 12: In two thousand and three, Chimes was also inducted with the rest of the Clash as a member into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, where he also praised todp ra Hayden during his acceptance speech. And by the way, he occasionally he does go back and play a few you know songs of the.
Speaker 6: Band now and then nice but everybody's on good terms. You don't hear that very often? Good Yeah.
Speaker 7: From a drummer to a chiropractice.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Man, these really are big career switches. Very cool. All right, thanks Neil. We're going to take another real quick break and we'll be back with two more right after this. Hudson Riverradio dot Com.
Speaker 9: Hudson Riverradio dot com.
Speaker 6: And welcome back, Mercedes.
Speaker 7: Up to you.
Speaker 1: Yes, I am ready. So Marky Mark is a thug or he was a thug and a rapper and now he's a movie star, so that's a career change. He was born in Boston and is the youngest of nine children. Is an older brother. Was making a name for himself as a rapper in the boy band New Kids on the Block, which Marky Mark joined but quit after a few months. He had twenty to twenty five incidents on his record with the Boston Police Department during his teen years. At thirteen, he was addicted to cocaine and other things, and by fourteen he had dropped out of high school. At fifteen, he had a civil action lawsuit filed against him for two instances of harassing African American children, which included throwing rocks and shouting slurs, which he had apologized. He has apologized publicly for several times. In nineteen ninety, he began recording with Scott Ross, Hector Barrows, Anthony Thomas, and Terry Yanty as Marky Mark on the Funky Bunch. They had a hit on their first album with Good Vibrations, which hit number one on the Billboard Hot one hundred. On your first album at that time, they shot a video where Marky showed off his body. As a result, he did a series of underwear edge for Calvin Klein that were displayed on billboards and on TV. They were everywhere. He also did a famous Vanity Fair spread for their annual Hall of Fame issue. The second single off the album was Wildside, which peaked at number ten on Billboard's Hot one hundred, and it is the song that we're going to hear in a bit. He went on to record with many different artists in many different styles throughout the nineties. As I said, he had a rocky past, and he was arrested charged with manslaughter, facing two years in jail, but only served forty five days and that was enough to turn his life around. A quote from him says, as soon as I began that life of crime, there was always a voice in my head telling me I was going to end up in jail. Three of my brothers had done time, My sister went to prison so many times I lost count. Finally I was there, locked up with the kind of guys had always wanted to be like. Now I'd earned my stripes and I was just like them, and I realized it wasn't what I wanted at all. I'd end up in the worst place I could possibly imagine, and I never wanted to go back. First of all, I had to learn to stay on the straight and narrow. In twenty fourteen, Wahlberg applied for a pardon from the state of Massachusetts for his convictions. According to BBC, the debate about his suitability for a pardon raised difficult issues, with the argument on both sides being far reaching and complex. Wahlberg later said he regretted the attempt to obtain the pardon. In nineteen ninety three, Mark Wahlberg made his acting career debut in a TV movie called The Substitute, and after his appearance he dropped the Marky Mark name. He went on to do many more films which earned him positive reviews, such as The Basketball Diaries, Fear, which was his first starring role, Boogie Knights, The Big Hit, Three Kings, Planet of the Apes, The Truth About Charlie, which was directed by Jonathan Debbie who was a local Rockland person, The Italian job i Heeart Hackebees The Departed, which gave him an Oscar for Best Supporting Actor, and he was considered for a role in Broke Back Mountain, which he turned down because he was uncomfortable with the sexians. He also starred in two films in the Transformers live action film franchise, Transformers Age of Extinction from twenty fourteen and Transformers The Last Night from twenty seventeen, and More and More and More. In twenty seventeen, he topped the list of the world's highest paid actor. In twenty eighteen, his salary of one point five million for the reshoots for All the Money in the World stirred a gender pay gap controversy, and as his co star Michelle Williams had received less than one thousand dollars for the same reshoots, Wahlberg donated the money to the Times Up Initiative, a movement against sexual harassment co founded by Williams. He was also executive produced Entourage, which is loosely based on his early years in Hollywood. Boardwalk Empire, had to make excusing, how to make it in America and Ballers. So let's hear this Marky Mark song.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 6: American, A beautiful.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Let me introduce you all to the wild side.
Speaker 16: Annie was a high school cheerleader, palms and Bobbie socks.
Speaker 7: And no girl was gonna come from time.
Speaker 16: Everybody was on the line, all the fellas singer Nikka went down and tales about love and lust and truck. But Annie took it all in stride because deep inside and he had aspirations. Besides that, she had expectations. Wanted to be a chemical engineer, making fifty to fifty five thousand a year. A first year of college was a success, but along comes Billy, possessed and obsessed. He took Annie on a fatal's date to show the things that made harp It's accelerates, and he took a head breathe two short preps.
Speaker 6: One for life, the last for death.
Speaker 16: Now she's going to form a valedictorian ended up becoming a top of four story in to wash up dreams, shattered bride, or because Zanny took a hit on the wild Side.
Speaker 7: Ron had enough of.
Speaker 16: Being broke every day, saying to himself, that's gotta be a better way, because nine in the five wasn't worth the headaches.
Speaker 6: So Ron figured out a fastest.
Speaker 7: Way to make money.
Speaker 6: Before you know it is a rich Man gold on everything O that's hand a brand new BMW a condo.
Speaker 7: Ron ended up for John Do.
Speaker 15: A body was found in the alley, but never claim full of bullet holes, with none in the blame. Vron became another victim of hump side because he chose to Walk on a wild Side.
Speaker 1: Okay, so of course Wahlberg sings all of the vocals and heavily samples on Walk on the wild Side. Try lou Read.
Speaker 7: I kind of like that.
Speaker 1: I'm not much of a rap fand but I don't know, I kind of like that. Maybe it's because I love the lou Read sound.
Speaker 12: So I was gonna say, you could, you could? You could read the phone book over that baseline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So people often confuse Matt day and with Mark Wahlberg, and I know I do, because really you don't never No, I think it's confusing. Because of that, they both agreed that whenever someone thinks they're the other, they have to be on their very best behavior so as to not ruin either his reputation. Matt will even sign autographs Mark Wahlberg and Mark will sign Matt damon some of the things confused.
Speaker 12: Really, yeah, I thought the class were confusing.
Speaker 1: Some other things you might not know about in me as a third nipple. Some movies have opted to digitally airbrush it out, and I can't hear that. He had tickets on Flight eleven on September eleventh, but the group decided to attend a film festival in Canada before heading back to la and chartered to Flight North instead.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: He started the Mark Wahlberg Youth Foundation because of his troubled youth to give back to troubled kids. Mark Wahlberg bought an eight million mansion Beverly Hills in two thousand and nine and then spent five years perfecting it. It is thirty thousand square feet and there's an indoor gym, a home theater, a full basketball court, a putting green green, and a water park.
Speaker 6: Well of course in his house.
Speaker 4: Of course, at first, instead of putting Green. I thought you said potting green and I got all excited.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, me too, not inside the house, I don't know about the outside. So yeah, he went from from punk to wrap I mean punk in the old sense thug these days, to rapper to model, oh, majorly successful Hollywood star.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the whole pardon thing. I can see both sides. But I'm like, you did it? So yeah, just because you're famous, does it? I don't know? Yeah, you know, would your average Joe be able to get a pardon for that?
Speaker 16: No?
Speaker 6: No, true?
Speaker 1: So so true? You know, as a Hollywood star, could you maybe.
Speaker 6: Are you saying the rich and famous get special treatment?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 6: What I was trying to imply I kind of was, yeah, therein lies the problem.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So but good choice and yeah, all right, cool. One more to go.
Speaker 7: Here we go.
Speaker 6: I am going to talk about Jeffrey Baxter, better known as Skunk Baxter. He was born in nineteen forty eight in Washington, DC. He has never disclosed where the Skunk nickname has come from. He started on drums at age eleven in a band called King Thunder and the Lightning Bolts, which must now be stolen or resurrected, because that is one of the funniest names, like a chest of condition. Okay, King Thunder should come after the lightning bolt, then I would think on.
Speaker 7: A Saturday Morning cartoon, right, yeah, it's.
Speaker 6: Like you know, and special guests Josie and the Pussycats like.
Speaker 7: Yep.
Speaker 6: So in high school, Skunk worked in a Manhattan music shop where he got to meet Jimmy Hendrix, and he claims to have sat in on bass for a show or two as Jimmy slowly became a front man member. Jimmy played in bands and then wound up being upfront. He studied journalism at Boston University, and while there he worked in a music shop as a guitar tech and amp repair man. He is very much a techy kind of guy, as we will see in a little bit. His road to fame started in nineteen sixty eight with the psychedelic band Ultimate Spinach, which I had never heard of.
Speaker 1: I like that, Uh huh, Neil you know that.
Speaker 7: Yeah, of course Neil would know.
Speaker 1: I have surprised.
Speaker 6: I know, Neil's gonna jump in with more.
Speaker 7: Facts on this one for no other reason just the name.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So after that he moved to Los Angeles to find session work, and there he became a founding member of Steely Dan. He played the recognizable solo on their biggest hit, Ricky Don't Lose that number. That is Skunk Backster playing that. In nineteen seventy four, Steely Dan decided to change direction. They stopped touring. They wanted to focus on using session musicians and just recording in the studio. So Skunk jumped over to the Doobie Brothers. Not too bad he While he was there, the lead singer Tom Johnston was hospitalized with a stomach issue. So Skunk recommends did Michael McDonald and his distinct voice to come and fill in. And it was such a good suggestion, and it worked out so well that Michael McDonald got hired full time even after Tom Johnston came back to the band. Skunk left the Doobie Brothers in nineteen seventy nine and went on to do way too many projects to list here. But I did mention that he was a techi kind of He is a techie kind of guy. He is still around, very smart guy. He was interested in music recording technology, which at this time was starting to evolve into the digital domain, going from real to real into digital stuff. So he became interested in the hardware and the software that was being used, and specifically in data compression storing large amounts of data in smaller volume, which is kind of standard now with our iPhones and laptops, iPads, all that stuff, squashing down a lot of information into a smaller amount of data. The biggest user of this kind of tech was the military, and his next door neighbor happened to be retired engineer who worked on the Sidewinder missile program and hooked him up with some magazines and journals on the topic of data compression and the missiles and all that kind of stuff, and he got so into it and so involved he took it upon himself to write a five page paper on how the aegious missiles could be converted from a ship based weapon into a missile defense system. He submitted his paper to his congressperson and then found himself to be the missile to be the defense consultant with security clearances for his congressperson, just because Wow sat down and decided to write a five page paper on his own. Now I have sat down and written four page papers on my own, but I have never written a five page paper.
Speaker 8: Just are you underachiever?
Speaker 4: I know, I know.
Speaker 12: So.
Speaker 6: In nineteen ninety five, Skunk was nominated to chair the Civilian Advisory Board for Ballistic Missile defen He worked on contracts for the Pentagon's Missile Defense Agency. He consulted for the US Department of Defense and for several defense contractors. Made a lot of money doing this, and in two thousand and five he joined the NASA Exploration Systems Advisory Committee. And the list goes on and on and on. Because he was interested in all this and did his own research and wrote his paper, he credits his way of thinking for all these opportunities. So let me read you a quote that he said in an interview. We thought turntables were for playing records until rappers began to use them as instruments. And we thought airplanes were for carrying passengers until terrorists realized they could be used as missiles. My big thing is to look excuse me, My big thing is to look at existing technologies and try to see other ways they can be used, which happens in music all the time and happens to be what terrorists are inarably good at so I give him credit learning about something and finding a new way to basically take off the shelf technology and put it to use in a new way. Now sharp left Turn. The Doobie Brothers were on the sitcom What's Happening in nineteen seventy eight. Do you guys remember the sitcom What's Happening? I caught it in reruns as a kid. The show ran from nineteen seventy six to nineteen seventy nine. It became more popular afterwards in after school syndication hours your local TV stations. A lot of times they would have like after school program and then do sitcom reruns and then kind of go into the evening news and game shows, that kind of thing. That growing up, that's where I saw What's Happening. It was on like in that after school kind of hours. The show was based on a Black La neighborhood. The main characters were Raj, Dwayne, and Freddie, known as Rerun. Their high school was portrayed as the Doobie alma mater, which made no sense because they're not the same age and they were not from there. But the idea for these episodes came from the band's publicist David Guest, who we would know now better is mister e Liza Minelli. He's married to her. Oh but he did a great job getting the band Exposures to new audiences because the Doobie Brothers were not in the target demo. For anybody watching What's Happening On the first run on the show, one of the Doobie Brothers goes up to rerun and says, hey, glad you came back, and rerun said came back. I'm still here because he'd never left high school. He just got left back.
Speaker 13: So many times.
Speaker 6: They teach the cast about the bad side of bootlegging concerts, kind of like a pre napster thing, you know. They talked about how people would sneak in tape recorders and take money away from these working musicians. It's a two episode arc called Doobie or Not doo Be and it's worth watching. Oh gosh, it's so tongue in cheek and so cheesy. It is the best line, the best it's hysterical. The best line from the show is which doo Be you be? Some of the Doobie Brothers who are still around still get that people come up to them and say which do be?
Speaker 11: You be?
Speaker 6: And they just they just go with it. So back to a little bit later. Skunk was also at the forefront of hearing protection, especially for rock musicians, Like at the top of the show we listened to, you know, monitor versus front of house kind of stuff. Well, when he was up and coming, this was when you started getting the wedge monitors on stage, which were super loud. The concerts were super loud, your amps were super loud. And he was one of the few that took steps to protect his hearing. If you see videos of him, he's wearing headphones, He's wearing hearing protection like you would wear at a gun rain while he's up on stage performing. He was one of the very few to do that. And in nineteen ninety three he actually did a TV PSA about protecting your hearing, which I remember seeing, which I thought was cool. So I had the audio from that. Let's give this a listen.
Speaker 17: You know, if you're like me, you listen to a lot of rock music. But you know, constant exposure to loud music can lead to permanent hearing loss, Like after a concert when everything sounds muffled and your ears are ringing, just imagine if it always sounded like that. So protect your hearing. My friends laughed at me for years for wearing headphones on stage, but they're not laughing anymore. Rock and roll is here to stay and make sure your hearing is too.
Speaker 1: Sponsored by the Houseier Institute.
Speaker 6: I thought that was pretty cool.
Speaker 7: The more do you know, yeah, the more I didn't hear it.
Speaker 6: That's from your years of sitting behind the kit and in front of all the ants. That's what happens. So yeah, I thought that was cool. So you had a guitarist, multi instrumentalist who goes to missile defense and hearing protection, and in all fairness, he never really gave up music. He's still playing and he still plays every once in a while. But I would say that's a pretty big switch to go into the missile defense business. Yeah, and made a bunch of cash doing it. And I went down the rabbit hole. Just last night. He did a lecture series and I watched the whole lecture on YouTube and problem solving and you're changing your way of thinking and all that, and he's I can see why he was hired as a consultant because kind of like Brian Cox, he can kind of simplify things and explain it to make it understandable. And he would also go into these what's that Neil, Yeah, yeah, I mean he even tells us, He tells the stories of going into to these contractors thinking, you know, he walks in like a hippie, so they they dumb it down for him and he goes, oh, and then he you know, sit so man, yeah, with the delta V over the this and then and then like they just go, we're gonna show you a different presentation and then kind of change gears so good for him. As far as songs, I went with the Doobie Brothers. I went with the song Taking It to the Streets because Skunk plays on it. It features Michael McDonald's who Skunk brought on board, and it's one of the songs that they played on What's Happening. So let's give a listen.
Speaker 3: M you don't know me, You telling me the things about it do for me. I'm not know my.
Speaker 10: Taking it to streets no money, take.
Speaker 9: This myselves to around you will find m.
Speaker 3: Robert people in tucular Chi and finanties the spell.
Speaker 4: My you telling me the things you wanted to for.
Speaker 6: I don't.
Speaker 3: Jussa take jus, who are you telling me the.
Speaker 4: Things you do?
Speaker 3: Love me?
Speaker 13: I do.
Speaker 6: Last, So I do suggest hopping on YouTube and watching what's happening with the two episodes with with the Doobie Brothers. I'm sure it's on there. If not, it's got to be somewhere at least the clips of it. It's pretty funny, it's pretty it's such a crossover, and the Doobies are not actors, and you could say, and everybody's just feeling awkward, and it's it's great, it really is. It's just it's perfect. So there you have it. Career switches, everybody had really interesting choices. We talk about sharp turn career switches, and none of these were because they had to you know, you see your stories that you know, all right, like their second album flopped and they got dropped by their label and they had to find something to make it. These were all by choice, which I thought.
Speaker 8: Nobody had a horrid ketchup packets and eat.
Speaker 6: Them for yeah exactly. I mean they may have, but not because they had to say yep, cool, all right, No final thoughts from anybody before we pull the plug.
Speaker 1: Good stuff, good stuff.
Speaker 6: We're all around cool. All right, good choices, Crambones. Thank you for all your hard work as always, and thank you all for joining us here for the rock and roll History Show. Don't forget to subscribe in your favorite podcast app. Along with subscribing to all the shows we do here at Hudson River Radio, there is something for everybody. We'll be back next week with another brand new show, so be safe. Until then, Peace out, everybody.
Speaker 2: I'm come a rock, top, bottom and trum.
Speaker 4: Okay, Bye bye.
Speaker 6: Tuddsonriverradio dot com a subsidiary of Glacier Entertainment LLC, potentially successful the multi hundred dollars corporation