Speaker 1: Hey, everyone, Welcome to episode two hundred and fifty four of The Team House. I'm Jack Murphy here with Dave Park and our guest on tonight's show is former CIA officer Louis Rudaph You guys missed the pre conversation that we just had about the Roman Empire and ancient Greece. Maybe we'll get back into that one. But Lewis served as the head of Operations in Iraq, chief of station in New Delhi, lots of assignments in Central and South America. Was there for the invasion of Grenada. I mean, a very extensive career at Central Intelligence. And Lewis, thank you so much for joining us tonight.
Speaker 2: My pleasure, thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: So I'm going to hit you up right off the bat. Tell us about you know, where you grew up, how you grew up, and how that took you towards the CIA.
Speaker 2: Ah, that's a story. I was born in Cuba. We had to flee immediately after the Bay of Pigs, and we ended up in Miami for a while. And there's a whole lot of detail.
Speaker 3: In the Yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry to interrupt, but when you say I had to or or your family had to flee right after the Bay of Pigs. It sounds as if maybe you had family members who were involved.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I had. My father and an uncle were involved in what passed for the anti Castro underground on island in Cuba, and the whole Bay of Pigs invasion had been compromised from the get go. My father and uncle were going home after work one day and some women from the town they lived in right outside Havana came running up and said, don't go back into town. They were arresting all the men. They know what's coming. So they spent the night at the cemetery and then got refuge in the Brazilian embassy. After a few months they let him go and they landed in Mexico, and interestingly enough, at the foot of the stairs that they came off the plane was a State Department councilor officer from the US embassy and said, would you guys like to go to the United States? And they said yes, and there we were sit up there. Moved to New York. I grew up in an extremely anti communist household, as you can imagine, with a sense that not only were we engaged in a life or death struggle against communism. But we owed the US a lot for having taken a sin. I think every every male member the family volunteered for the military got when they got asylum in the US. And so I grew up with that sense of I owe the country and we really are in a struggle that if we lose, we're screwed. So I thought of, you know, what I want to do, and the agency offered that. And it also offered the ability to pick up and move, move every two or three years. You know, I get bored easily, and it's it's hard to stay at the same job or the same place for long. Uh. And the agency offered to you know, a young guy. They offered adventure and excitement. So I joined.
Speaker 1: Where did when did the idea? I mean, I understand the motivation now when you describe it, like when did this sort of come up on your radar? I ticket when you were in college, did you interface with like an agency recruiter.
Speaker 2: That's very precent of you. Yes, I had a Russian history professor who looks as a spin image of Teddy Roosevelt, and uh he he sort of suggested and directed me toward you know, I might be might be interested in this kind of work in this this field. Uh, And I spect he might have been spotting for the agency. I don't know, I can't say, but he steered me. And in my senior year, I applied, knowing that the process took a while. Usually it takes about a year just to get in. And I remember having received a letter from the agency and it scheduled an appointment for me at the Federal Office building at that time at the World Trade Center for an interview. And I went down there dutifully. You know, the interview was at two o'clock in the afternoon. I got there early, and I couldn't find the office it was. You know, I had a number, and I kept looking. There was no number. I couldn't find it. For the life I mean, I was now at this point, I was late, and so in desperation, I walk into a nearby office, which is the Wildlife Licensing office where they give you the fishing license and all this kind of stuff. And I asked the lady behind the counter, I said, look, I'm looking for room whatever. It was two twenty one. She goes, oh, sweetheart, you want the CIA. Yeah, there in the office between the the broom closet and the bathroom and and I walked down there and there's this little door with a tiny little number and a peep hole. And that was my introduction to the agency. I went in there for the interview, and the process took about a year before I got the the Okay.
Speaker 1: What was that part of the test to see whether or not you can find the door?
Speaker 2: I don't. I don't. I don't think it was because the guy was kind of annoyed that I was, that I was late. He had other people to talk to. Uh, but it's it's you know, it's one of the things we found about the agency. Uh. The quirkiness is sort of a nice way to put it. There's some there's some oddities that seemed to work across purposes to what they want to accomplish.
Speaker 4: We talked to Rick Prato, also another Cuban American, about this. What about sort of the staunch anti communist you know, the Cuban Americans? What was there was that represented pretty well in the agency.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's you know, it's probably an exaggeration, but there is a sort of quasi Cuban mafia, uh in the agency specifically working Latin America. I knew a lot of people, uh, and who were Cubans and had joined the agency. Again, you know, it's the egg. The Cuban exiles were staunchly anti communists. Uh, true believers. You know. My father used to tell me, look, you know they got they got a name on our names on a list, and if if the US loses this struggle, we're all going to get lined up against the wall and shut. And so there was that that deep belief that this was a life or death struggle, and a lot of them joined because they wanted they wanted to fight back.
Speaker 1: And tell us about you know, when you show up at the farm in your training, like what year was this, and you know how what was your thoughts about you know, the farm and in that experience, if you have any any memories that stand out for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well memories Jesus. You know, George Washington was president when I went down to the farm, it.
Speaker 3: Was still a farm.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Uh, it's it's an interesting place. Yeah, it's a really it's a very well run program, I have to say. And at one point in my career I ran the program, the Field trade Craft course, and as a student I found The training logical and at times very challenging. It is meant to build up, to start slow, get you acclimatized, get you used to it, and as it builds and builds, a pressure starts amount until you near the end of the training and you're thinking, you know, shit, I hope, I hope my job is not going to be like this for the rest of my life because you're you know, it's it's like a lot of those those kinds of training you're functioning on on four hours. Uh it is. It is not designed to weed people out. Uh. It is designed to train you. Uh. It does have it does weed people out, but again that they don't They're not there to harass you and break you and do this, but they are there to test you. Uh. And all the instructors function under the understanding that sometime in the future you will work for me or with me, and I have to understand that I want you there, right and and uh an interesting story which is really has nothing to do with all this farm. Uh hm. At the end of the farm, like like most places, you you put in your wishliped and you put in the top three areas you want to go work for Africa, Latin America, Europe where and they have a thing they call Division Night on a Sunday night. Every each weekend. It's a different area. Division. Latin America Division will come down one night. Europe Division will come down and they bring a team of people and they give you a dog and pony show and explain to you why you want to come and work for my division. And that's one of the things that left me an impression. I remember two presentations. I remember the presentation from Africa Division because they brought a team that had just returned from the field. Most of them look like they had died in the field, they had suffered from dysentery, malaria, typhoi whatever, and spent an inordinate amount of time talking about how wonderful the metavac facilities were and how they blew you out and they let you bring all this food because you couldn't get this food, and you could walk barefoot because these weavils would go up your feet, and all this kind of stuff. And I thought, never, no, thank you very much. And then what was se Soviet and East European Division Night came and this gets into you know, the anti communist thinking and the chief that division went down into the arena, the auditorium and gave his presentation, and it was one sentence. He said, the CIA exists because the Soviet Union can wipe the United States off to faith the earth in twenty minutes, any questions, and that encapsulated in a nutshell. While we were here. It was at least for us, we believed it wasn't the fence of the United States because we had a foe that can destroy us. And that left an incredible impression on me.
Speaker 1: And it's the CIA's job to prevent strategic surprise.
Speaker 2: Yes, and so you know that was it. That's where I wanted to go. I wound up in Latin America because we were fighting the wars in Central America and like most places, they had a draft on they were allowed to take half the class. Yeah, I mean Tagusigappa, Honduras was the largest station in the world at the time.
Speaker 1: Wow, this is like nineteen eighty five six.
Speaker 2: Ah yeah, let me see, I got a eighty three. So yeah, yeah, we were right macdeb in the middle counter insurgency in Guatemala and Salvador insurgency in Nicaragua, and plus we had all the other programs in Afghanistan and gold and everything. So the agency was hopping and what they had done at the time. In addition to the operations course, which runs a little over four months, because the agency was managing so many COPD action program they felt that the case officers, the operations officers, should understand and POWA military operations. So they ran us through a four month paramilitary course. It was good and was bad. It was bad because it came after four months of being down there and then they turn you around and bring you down to another four months and you just really don't want to go there. But it was great, let me tell you it was. It was splendiferous.
Speaker 1: You got a couple it was then uh huh, you got a couple jumps in.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, and that just that. They had an armory in the back that had weapons from WAW two on. I got to fire MP forty's, car ninety eight k's and every other kind of weapon you can imagine. Light machine guns, heavy machine guns, mortars, rocket launchers, we get air operations, maritime uper It was you know, if it was for the fact that you were gone for another four months, it was. It was a blast. But everybody got a lot of paramilitary experience at the time.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to ask you about Central America, but before we get to that, I want to ask you about the nineteen eighty three invasion of Grenada in your role there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had been overseas at that point for three months and I was home and I got a phone call one night about ten o'clock from the secretary at the office asking if I could come in. So I went in final Okay, showed up and the chief was there and he handed me a ticket and said, you're flying out to Barbados tomorrow. We're invading Grenada. Okay, my first invasion. Do I hate to bring anything? Well, you know, I don't know, but bring your soup, just like Okay, I'll be a very well dressed invader. And I got there. Somebody met me at the airport. They took me and it's like, we're going to fly you in that night. And it was I think it was emblematic of a lot of experiences I had with the agency that it is small, inelegant, but gets the job done. And so these guys said, we're going to take you to the airport, We're going to fly you to Grenada, and we were driving down toward the airport and I noticed we missed the two exits to the airport, and I said, hey, we just we just missed the exits. No, no, no, no, we're not going there. And we pull up to the back of the airport by the chain link fence and there's a hole cut into the fence. Because go through the hole. See that plane there with no lights on. That's ours. Get on that plane and we get on the I get on the plane and you take off. There's no there's no lights, there's nothing, totally blacked out, and we're flying over Grenada. And the guy, the crew chief, hands me envygs and it says, take a look. And you know, remember this was my first time it never been in the military anything. And I put my the MVGS on. I looked down and tracers are going back and forth and bombs are going and the US is just blowing the ship out of the place. And I'm thinking, that's going to be wasted on this thing. Uh. And I spent the next two weeks debriefing, uh, you know, exploitation, finding documents and things in whatever where they were located, and living kind of kind of rough in a in a house with sixty guys, but it was it was interesting.
Speaker 4: Did they did they tell you what your mission was, what what they wanted, what information they wanted you to find, or was it just go see what you can get?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was a lot of the stuff is it's on the fly, you know, and this is this is clearly to military operation. The military has its its mission and whatever, and we're sort of there to to support that and support US policy. And US policy was find whatever you can get your hands on. From the agency's point of view, there was a Cuban presence. Uh, So our goal was to find out anything we could about the Cubans. Who were they, what did they have, what their intentions were, what their capabilities had been. Uh. We were trying to find out the details of what had happened because you know, remember they've had they had a socialist slash communist revolution and then they had had a counter revolution where they killed Maurice Bishop who was a prime minister and were taking over. And we did not know whether that was a genuine, uh internal movement, whether that had been directed by the Cubans or the Soviets. We need to find out what the intents they were building this airport in Grenada that would have handled the largest Soviet transport aircraft. So we wanted to know was that indeed the intent were they going to use that as a launch point. So we were looking, we were looking for stuff and whatever we get our hands on.
Speaker 1: Did you find any evidence of you know, Soviet or malign you know, communist influence and Grenada as you're doing your job out there, Yeah, you.
Speaker 2: Know, it's It's one of the things I have learned through my almost thirty year career. Just like beauty is in the eye of the beholder, malign is in the eye of the beholder. Yeah, there was communist influence. Yes, the Cubans were there. The Grenadians wanted them to be there to help them because nobody else was going to help them, so they thought, you know, they could help with this that We didn't find any hard evidence that the Russians or the Cubans were going to use Grenada as a jump off point to some larger nefarious plot. They were sort of like, you know, reacting like the US. Hey, here's an opportunity, let's take advantage of it. See what comes out of this. But there was no overarching plan the Cuban presence. You know, everybody was, oh, there's a Cuban combat troops. Yeah, no, there really wasn't. There's about thirty five Cuban military advisors because they were trying to build a Grenadian military and the rest were Cuban construction units. Now, you know, like all Cubans, they were trained as a paramilitary force, a reserve force. They all knew how to use an AK forty seven. That was about it. I talked to these guys, and you know, they were pure construction workers and wanted nothing more than to get the hell out of there because they went in there. You know, I'm a bulldozer operator, I pour concrete, I do this. Have you been trained the military, Well, you know, I get two weeks a year how to fire in AK. Yeah. Okay. So it wasn't the threat that it was brought out to be, but it was a potential long term threat, and that's one of the things that we looked at. It's you know, today, it's not a problem, but next week you never know.
Speaker 3: So how how long have you been on the job at this point?
Speaker 2: I think six months?
Speaker 3: Six months? Yea, How was it for you?
Speaker 4: Because I don't know when if you had interacted much with the military prior to this, But how was it for you to be kind of thrown in this environment and now interfacing with the military wanting to, you know, to to debrief their you know, their pow stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did my first time really dealing with the military. I've done that extensively throughout my career. Uh. And I gotta tell you, it's it's it's it's great. I've never had any problems dealing with the military. Uh. It is. The military speaks a very different language than we do. H and they look at things slightly different. I mean, you know, their their goal is to is to destroy things. Our goal is to sort of just not be seen and go and move around. But our objectives are pretty much the same and they sort of go hand in hand. I enjoyed it. I found the US military to be professional, direct. Yeah, we all have our assholes, no doubt about it. You know, we're human beings. But overall, it was it was great. They were very supportive of us. We did what they needed us to do for them. It was good.
Speaker 1: And while we're at it, please also consider supporting the show there's a link to our Patreon down the description. If you subscribe to us, you get all these episodes ad free. And we really appreciate all of our supporters out there. So Lewis, I apologize for the for the interruption. I think I'd like to jump off, if it's okay, on sort of a larger conversation about your time in Central and South America, if we were to move a little further forward, or let's say, from eighty three into the into the mid to late eighties. You know, it's controversial. The Contras were not a perfect partner for us, for the United States. But at the same time, Daniel Lrdego is going to Moscow and receiving Soviet military aid, which got the United States involved in the in the conflict in Nicaragua. Could you tell us a little bit about your perspective and what you experienced while you were down there.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm still processing the Breakfast for Life Free. Well yeah, sure, Ah, you know it's I do think about Central America somewhat often nowadays. Uh, and it's it's it's one of those very difficult subjects.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Yes, the Sandinistas, uh and the Salvador fmlen were communists, Uh, they were hell bent on installing communist regimesh Yet at the same time, we were supporting regimes that were brutal and killed their own people and slaughtered and tortured and and trying to put myself in the shoes of of everyday Central Americans. And it's and it's one of the things I think that case officers try to do is to understand all the different sides and necessarily agree with them, but you have to understand, uh, what their thought process is. You're facing a choice of I have a government now that is pretty much oppressing and trying to kill me, versus the government's gonna come in and oppress me and trying to kill me, right, and a lot of these people, you know, were we're taking the choice of, well, I'd rather get the ones that are coming in to kill me, because I know these guys have killed me and my family and this kind of stuff, and I want revenge. We were not we were not helping ourselves to drum up support against the fml N or the Saint Denistas by supporting regimes that would be no better than what we're going to come in. And we were not offering the people a real choice. It was you can you can have hell or you can have hell. Take your choice instead of you know, eventually we got around to giving Salvador some degree of of democracy where they eventually had a free and fair election. But I think it would have gone better for us if if we did that from the get go. There was in a I'll give you an example of one of the things that I did admire about the other side. And they worked their insurgency much more different than we did. We took the contras and you know, we created this, and we we equipped them, we managed them, we did all this stuff. The Cubans were faced with five different insurgent groups and the Cuban attitude and what they told them was, okay, here's two things. We will give you. Aid if you, as an insurgent group, can survive on your own for two years, and that way what they were doing is this becomes a viable group. It's not something we're imposing. They can survive their viables that will support them. And two, we will support you if you join the Umbrella organization. If you don't, we'll make sure you don't get you starved of everything, and we'll crush you but if you come into the umbrella you have survived, then we'll help you. And and they created they helped create viable, sustainable organizations. We created groups that could not survive without us and who had a hard time developed being the support among the population because they were, you know, they were viewed as as alien, these guys, these American tools.
Speaker 1: They had bourgeois leadership that was hanging out in Miami exactly.
Speaker 2: And it's not like the fml L leadership was any better. They're all, you know, sitting in Mexico or Havana and not living hard. But the fact that they have sustained themselves over time and they had to live among the people gave them a degree of cachet among the population, which made it easier for them and harder for us.
Speaker 1: What can you tell us about your own experiences down there? I mean, you mentioned you did a couple of trips down to Guatemala.
Speaker 2: I was I was a signed I did Guatemala for about five years. Yeah, uh, you know, it's I like the country. I enjoyed my time there. I have to say, you know, there's a point where you start to realize you are supporting a horrendously brutal regime. Ah, you know it was. I gotta tell you it was. There was a part of Guatemala this and this was before I got there, And this is a story I had been told by guatemalas Uh. There was there was an insurgery insurgency operating in the Patent, which is one of the regions in Guatemala, and the zone commander in the p ten had offered a bounty fifty dollars was a lot of money then in Guatemala for each pair of ears belonging to gorillas that you brought back. They brought back three thousand pairs of ears. The insurgent group was estimated at one hundred and fifty. And you have to ask yourself, what are we doing? Right? Yeah, right, we are not going to win these people over, and we're you know, you can stand in the halls of Congress and spout Jefferson and democracy and shit, but you get down there and that's not what's going on. And the people know that, you know, they they may be uneducated peasants, but you can't fool them. They see exactly what's going on. And you start looking and say this is this is a no win situation for us. We have we have chosen the wrong side.
Speaker 1: I sense, and correct me if I'm wrong, lewis that you're excuse me, your heritage is you know, being a devout anti communist a little bit conflicting with your values as an American. And I think that, and I mean, I want you to hear your opinion, but I mean, I think that conflict there really is, you know, that defines the nature of our presence in Central America at the time, This conflict between these two, these two values.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's yeah, it's I can be as as as ruthless, as amoral as an ex guy. Yeah. And uh, if I look at it coldly leaving leaving those issues aside, it strikes me as a no win situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And and we are we are digging a hole for ourselves that we don't need to dig and we shouldn't be in. If you bring the moral aspects in it, it's like, okay, you know, it's something that the US has struggled with, right for decades. Right now, at the end of the day, I believe for all the faults we have, and we have many, uh, the fact that the US exists is one of the reasons this, this world hasn't turned into a bigger pile of shit than it is now. Uh. And you know, I'll tell you. I'll tell you a story. There was two Egyptian journalists talking when the US invaded Iraq, and and one turned to the other and said, oh my god, what are going to do? The Americans are just they're out of control. They're bombing everywhere, they're invading everywhere. What do we do? And the other one turn said, we do what we always do. We wait till the Americans fixed themselves and and and for me, that's always been the thing. Eventually we will look and say, okay, this is not this is not the way to go, and we try to do we try to do better. Unlike a lot of other countries where they sit there and they look at the look at the Russians in the Ukraine, they're just going to dig themselves in and they're never just just gonna walk away. We'll look and say, okay, this is not the right way to go. Uh. But that haven't been said. You know, we we have chosen sides in battles where you clearly look and say this is a mistake, this is this is not what we are supposed to stand for. Uh. And this is not what's going to give us the victory that we need to stop the other side. Yeah, there's a there's a conflict, and I think anybody who has who has a shred of of has a moral compass, will say, yeah, Okay, I'll do what I gotta do, but this is not the right way to go.
Speaker 1: How did you feel when the elections were held in Nicaragua, I think it was nineteen eighty nine when the Sandinistas law. Did you see that as a victory or did you? I mean, what what was your view of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? It was it was a short term, tactical victory.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I tend I tend to look at things because I you know, I did study history and and I tend to look at things long term. Uh. And I don't think the history and the victory of Central America has been written yet. But I saw the elections where the Sanistras are thrown out as as a victory. But now we're faced with the same thing. The Santinists are in power, and the Sanisis are not going to let go of power. Uh. And unless something gets done, Uh, you know, they're going to stay in power for as long as they can, and you could you could see the whole thing repeating itself, and eventually it will be another revolution and someone will try to oust them. And you know, depending on who's in the White House at the time, you know, do we get involved, do we not get involved? Let it go.
Speaker 1: It's it's just it's just like it's a history of personal fiefdoms. And you know, I've had people tell me to this day, if you go down there and you buy off the right generals, you can do whatever you want.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, In Guatemala, there were three hundred families that control the country. They they owned all the businesses you had to deal with them. They owned the land, they owned the farms, and with these people they funded everything. And between them and the twenty or thirty generals who ran the military, that was it. That was a power structure. Nobody else had to say in what happened. You know, the CIA gets.
Speaker 4: Hate sometimes along with like special forces working with indigenous and the sense of like the contrast. You know, it is promoted as these CI run desk squads. But you know, I would you say that America goes into these situations sort of with the same repeating sort of naivete.
Speaker 3: You know that they see us take a strategic purpose.
Speaker 4: And they imagine that the people that are against the communists, the bad guys, the terrorists, whomever it is, are by by the very the very nature, going to be the good guys.
Speaker 3: And that's not always the case.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's you know, that's a very good question. Uh. And and I could do an entire entire show on that on that issue. Uh.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: One of the problems with yeah, we are naive. Uh and and we are simplistic in our views, like, as you pointed out, communists bad, anybody against them good? No, not no, there's it's it's we like black and white. We like the movie High Noon and Gary Cooper walking down the street, and they're the bad guys. Life isn't like that, and it is. It is messy, it is dark. Uh, there are there are usually other choices, but we tend to pick the easiest choice. But these guys here, they're anti communists, they're in charge. Let's go with them. Uh. And it's easier because despite the fact that we're democracy, it's a mess dealing with the democracy. Holy shit, I mean, you know, you got one policy going the next next year, there's an election, the policy changes and who's up who's down this kind of thing. Here, we got a dictator and that ain't gonna change. And it makes it easier for US policy. But again that's not necessarily the right the right way to do it. Uh, to your to your comment about you know, CIA funded desk squads and stuff, it's it's one of my pet peeves.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, it's it's because that idea, you know, oh, the CIA overthrow this government. The CIA did that is only partially correct. The more accurate statement is the US of a over through that government. The CIA doesn't run around sitting there. You know, we're sitting there on a Friday afternoon having a few drinks and said hey, let's overthrow the government at the right. Yeah, exactly. It comes down from the White House. And I said, we don't like this. I mean Chile is a great example. The White House came and said we don't like these guys. And the agency said, you want to come after that. We think it's a bad idea. What comes after them is going to be worse. And they said we don't care. We want these guys. We want Allende and his crew. Okay, you know, at the end of the day, we salute and we go do the job. But it's it's not a you know, the CIA executes it, but it's not the CIA's policy. It is the White House policy to use government policy. And at the end of the day, which is something I always say, which probably does not make me popular, it's the American people's fault. We live in a democracy. You chose these guys. This is what they did. You don't like it, get off your ass and get them out. You know, it's it's we as a people bare degree of responsibility and representative democracy.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: And this was a topic that would rear its head many years later for you in Iraq, but we'll get to that. But after after Guatemala, I mean, you had some other interesting assignments in like South America. I was wondering if you if you could talk a little bit about that.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, after you know, after the Central American Wars, narcotics reared it's ugly head. I mean, it's always been there, but it becomes the flavor of the month. And it's one of the things I've I've noticed that a lot of this stuff is driven by domestic politics, and so if there's you know, some domestic political gain to be had, or there's a problem in the States, it'll eventually start making its way overseas. And that's what happened with narcotics. And then the US government, including the Agency, the State Department, the Defense Department, DA engaged in decades long war against narcotics cartels, and I spent a lot of time doing that in South America, in Central America, because everything once the Central American Wars were over, everything shifted toward counter narcotics. Like most government agencies, organizations, private sector stuff, everything moves where the money is, and there was money in counter arcotics. They were dumping billions and everybody got money. Everybody got directed to do this, and so huge programs were created and everybody chased archittists. For me, aunt narcotics was the most frustrating job I've ever had. You know it is it's a proverbial whack a mole. For every every narcotics organization you dismantle and guys put in jail, there's one hundred people waiting to take their place. There's nothing you can do in that regard. They're willing to die for that kind of money, right, cartels. When I was there, and this was a long time, this was shit. Thirty years ago, cartels were making profits of one billion dollars a year each. They couldn't process the money. They had rooms, and I'm talking rooms stacked ceiling to floor, wall to wall with cash. They just couldn't launder the money fast enough. I went to a DA conference and they had a narcotics financier who had turned state's evidence of witness protection the whole thing. And he gave a talk and it was the most scary thing I've ever heard. He said, for you to make a dent in our finances, you have to interdict ninety five percent of the drugs coming into the US. That's when we start making When we stopped making a profit, ninety five percent, we were interdicting five percent. And you know, he said, what you guys sees, you sees two tons here, five tons, twenty tons, that's spoilage. That's just the cost of doing business. And you know, I was in Bolivia and you can buy a kilo of pure cocaine hydrochloride, pure cocaine for nine hundred dollars a kilo. It was selling in New York for eighteen thousand dollars a kilo at the time. Time just I'm not good at math. Just do the markup. That's a profit and that's pure. If you cut that thing two or three times, oh my god. So it's It's another one of these things that frustrates me is you know when when the politicians talked about, well, we're gonna go in and we're gonna bomb Mexico, We're gonna do this, We're gonna send me It's like, guys, we have been doing this for decades. Uh. The war on drugs that was fought very quietly in Latin America was no there was no gloves on. I mean we it was you go and do it. And and you know, you you watch the movie Scicadio. It's like, yeah, I lived that. That's that's what we're doing. And and and it had zero impact on the drug trade because you're not attacking the root causes the consumption in the United States, the movement of weapons from the US into Mexico, and the laundering of money in US banks who are making a fortune off this money.
Speaker 1: The poverty these in the countries where this starts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, a cop in Mexico makes I don't know, two hundred and fifty bucks a month. Trafficers show up and say, yeah, I'll give you five thousand a month. How can you compete with that?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Right? I mean I was I was at a country team meeting where AID Agency for National Development was talking about the Alternative Crop program and how they were they were going to help the farmers who grew coca gonna grow corn or whatever, yeah, and change it into they're gonna make them strawberries. And the reality of life was, you know, picking strawberries. Growing strawberries a backbreaking, labor intensive work, and at the end of it, they're getting about five dollars a kilo or something. I mean, I'm not sure what the numbers are, but it's five dollars a kilo cocaine. The coca leaf basically grows wild. You don't have to do much. You plant it and you sit back and let it grow. Doesn't require a lot of tending. It has two to three growing seasons a year, and you're gonna get five hundred for the kilo of the leaf. Again, we're we're picking the wrong fight here. You just not You're not going to get them. I want you to work harder and make less money.
Speaker 3: Right, right, right?
Speaker 4: And it was funny to see that repeated in Afghanistan with poppy fields. Yeah you know, Oh, we'll have them to plant something other than poppy. It's like they're not going to plant something other than poppy. No, why they're not stupid?
Speaker 3: You can't.
Speaker 2: I mean, which American can you go to and say, hey, I want you to work harder and make less money. Right. Nobody's going to buy that deal, right, we expect them to do it. No, it's you know, you you got you get with the problem a different way, because all we're gonna do is get stuck in another war.
Speaker 1: So you you must have been down there during like the bad old days of the Papulo Escobar and all that. I mean, any any any war stories from that time that you can share.
Speaker 2: Uh. I do have some, and I can't share them. I would get in serious trouble.
Speaker 1: Uh if you leave out names and specific locations, it's okay.
Speaker 2: Now because no it's bad stuff.
Speaker 4: So that'll be some that'll be some post show spice just for us.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll tell you offline. Uh. And I'm and I'm and I'm trying to there's a lot of stuff I'll tell you. I'll tell you one sorry, which is is not but it shows you the scope of the problem. No names, no countries. But a representative of trafficking cartel went to the office, sought an appointment and got an appointment with the Attorney General of the country and came into the office and he had a suitcase, and he put the suitcase on the guy's desks, opened it up and said, here are five million dollars. It is yours. If you listen to our offer. You don't have to do anything. Just listen what I want to tell you. And the guy just looked and you know, closed the suitcase and put it under his desk and said go ahead. And they said, we will give you eighteen million dollars a month if you get the police to the other way at certain times on certain dates. That attorney general stayed in office for one year and then bought a mansion in a unnamed European country and move there after that year.
Speaker 1: Good work if you get it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'd sell my principles probably for eighteen million a month.
Speaker 3: Like, uh, case you get million.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Well, I mean I know this is like a sensitive question. Uh, you know with agency people getting pitched, but I mean with the drug cartels and the kount of money that you explained, I mean, were there was there any time where they tried to buy you off?
Speaker 3: No? Uh, damn it.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you this. It's it's one of the things that has amazed me throughout the years. I mean, we have we have problems, and we'll have problem children in the agency. Uh, but I've I've never seen or heard of anybody in the agency being bought by by narcotics cartels. We've we've been bought by by the Russians, We've been bought by the Chinese, but nobody has succumbed to the cartels. Uh. And and that's a hell of a lot more money than Russians.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And And for the life of me, I don't know. I used to when I was in headquarters, I used to sit on camera the name and I think it's we used to call the Personnel Evaluation Board, and that's the board that meets as the final say and whether you get fired or not and referred to the Justice Department. And never did I see anybody come in or that kind of thing. Never have I heard of an operation being compromised because somebody got bought by the narcotics traffickers.
Speaker 1: Before we move on from Central South America, there was one more question I wanted to ask about, you know, your your Cuban heritage, but it sounds like they didn't actually have you work in Cuba. And I was just interested in did you ever touch Cuban operations or you know, go to the island or Oh.
Speaker 2: No, I never went to the island. Interesting enough, I was pitched by the Cubans real yeah, when I was in I was in Guatemala. There are no Cubans in Guatemala.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: They take a dim view of communists. Uh. But my father, who has the same name or had the same name as I did, receive the letter. He was living in New York. Uh Staten Island, and he received the letter from the Cubans. They were thinking he was me ah and it and it basically gave a pitch where you know, they said, look, you know, after after alder James, Uh, the agency is looking at at barn Born officers and looking at Cubans. Your career is going to take a hit. You're gonna have a problem. YadA, YadA, YadA. Next time you're out, you know, we'd like you to reach out and talk to us and this kind of stuff. Uh. I found out about this, and my father called me on the phone and and was virtually incoherent. The the only words I can under staying with a stream of obscenities because you're so pissed. Yeah, oh god, was he pissed. I just just calm calm down. This happens all the time. Send me the letter. And then I went back to headquarters, said, look, this has happened. Yeah. Yeah, they said, yeah, we've had about eight or ten of these things happened since Ames was arrested. And the Cubans are making an effort to use that to try to recruit our people. But other than that, I have, you know, and in some places there are Cubans and and you do get involved. In my first tour, I was involved in some Cuban operations, but I did I didn't do a lot of that, just it didn't interest me and was probably a good thing because those those Cuban operations were a disaster that the agency ran.
Speaker 1: Now I've been told the d d G I is like particularly sinister I don't know about sinners. So boy, they're good. They are really good.
Speaker 2: And they are They are good because of I think two main reasons. They are great risk takers, very creative, very imaginative, will take risks that we would not do. And they have, for all intents and purposes, one target, the United States. And it makes life easier when all you do is focus on the one, one country, one target, instead of thirty forty one hundred, one hundred and fifty different countries. And you got to they become experts. They understand, they know, they are formidable organization. They're very good, and they have they handed our lunch to us.
Speaker 3: Do you do you.
Speaker 4: Think that Cuba eventually learned the lesson their lesson about like pitching Cuban you know, officers with a Cuban heritage. I mean they got Animontes who was not Cuban. She was Spanish, right, I think Spanish, She's Puerto Rican, Puerto Rican, Okay.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh yeah. I mean the problem the Cubans have faced is that the the the first and second trunch of Cuban exiles are are really fanatically anti communists. Right. The Again, I'm not trying to cast as spurgeons on anybody. Uh, but you'll have you know, those memories, those feelings start to die out over time. I mean you you saw it with with people like like Aimes and Hansen. You know that that whole thing when when when the wall came down and the Sovietian clubs, they started to lose that inherent anti Russian communist Soviet attitude, and it was like, well, yeah, you know, money is money, and you make money. I think you know, you could see you know, the next generation of Cubans lose. I mean, they're all going to run off and work for the Cubans, but that that intensity of feeling is not going to be there because they were born here, they grew up here. They don't they don't have that sense of we lost everything. Uh. You know, I had family members in jail, all this kind of stuff. Uh you know that that goes just the way it's it's gone. Hell. I mean, you know we've got politicians who are are siding with the Russians. Uh. When you start losing that sense, it's gonna make it easier, right right.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 1: And after this period of your career, you uh moved on to Eastern Europe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I went, I did you know, I got. I got tired of Latin America. So I it's you sort of you're sort of dealing with similar issues all the time. I got. I got tired counter arcotics because that just it wasn't you know, you have successes, but in the big scheme of things, a big strategic picture, you had no success. Yes. Uh, they were all tactical. You know, you were you were you were winning battles and losing the war. So I went to the farm. Uh and eventually was running the trade craft course. Uh. That was sort of I requested that that for you know, it was for me. It was a reward. Uh. You know, you lived on a really nice base. Uh for for three years I had I didn't even know where my house keys were because you never bothered locking the door. Uh. Your your commute to work is five minutes. I used to bitch when I had two cars in front of me, I thought, my god, rush, Uh it's you know, it was really nice. And then I got offered a job up in Washington do East European operations. UHH. That was interesting in that it came at a time the Soviet Union had died out and the East European countries were all pushing to join NATO. UH. One of the tactics they were using to to gain entry into NATO was a very close intelligence cooperation with the US UH. And again you know, can't discuss it, but they would do things for us that we desperately needed to do that we couldn't do ourselves in the hopes successful that they could use that to get into NATO.
Speaker 1: And as we soke up a certain country that's very helpful today with Ukraine.
Speaker 2: Yeah, uh. And and there's a lot of countries that were helpful in a lot of different places. UH. And I really I enjoyed working with the with the East Europeans. They were they were good, they were very professional. Some of those services, you know, clearly trained by the KGB UH. They were top notch, top tier. And and I still remember the the Russians were bitching, I guess, to the to the polls, how they could side with the West and this kind of stuff, and the Foreign Minister just turned to them and said, we are the and you know, you know, for me, that was the final nail in the coffin. They said we are not with you, We're over there. And that was interesting. And then I got I was offered a job which was probably one of the best jobs I had in the agency, and it was it was scut work. I was. I was made executive assistant to the Deputy Director. And what that is is it's a glorified gopher job. You're there at the deputy directors beck and call, you get him ready for meetings at the White House, make sure he gets briefings, You handle liaison visits, trips and everything. And the beauty of it is you saw everything. You saw the entire US intelligence community. You saw how US policy has made You saw how the White House functions, how the different departments function. I mean, I was sitting at my desk one day and somebody drops a piece of paper on it on the desk and it's the entire US Nuclear arsenal, all the weapons, all the warheads, where they are, what they're doing. You're looking like, oh my god, this is amazing. And you saw all this stuff because you had to, you know, you had to prepare the deputy director and all this kind of stuff, and you learned so much. You learn bureaucratic stuff. But at that stage of my career, you know, there's a there's an acceptable assumption that I know my trade as an operations officer. I know how to recruit, I know how to handle I know how to produce intelligence, I know how to run COVID action. I know this stuff. Now you're being taught a different skill set. And yes, the bureaucratic skill set, but when you start moving your way up the chain, they're looking for a different skill set. You know, if you, as a senior officer, have to go out and recruit sources, well, you know, the agencies is destroyed. That's what other people do. Your job is to motivate those people, guide them, to recruit, to represent the agency, to manage resources, people, money, all this kind of stuff. And and that job was it was a year long job. It was you know again long hours, six in the morning till about eight or nine at night. But it was an incredible learning experience. I learned tons of stuff. The agency, the DOO, I should say not the rest of the DOO doesn't really have a lot. That's for those out there don't know. Director of Operations doesn't have a lot of leadership training. It's one of the things I've always admired about the military. You know, the military has got one third of the force doing the job, one third refitting, and the other third preparing. And that includes going off to war colleges, going off to this assignment, that assignment to prepare you for bigger pictures. We don't do that. We're just always going overseats, Go over seas, go see. Now that's great, but it doesn't create a core of senior leaders who have experienced doing that. This job gives you that kind of experience. It's sort of a training course. And from that then I slid into Chief of Rock Operations.
Speaker 1: Talk to us about you know, kind of the run up to that, I mean two thousand and three, the invasion happens, and sort of like where are you and what's that lead up to you go into Iraq?
Speaker 2: Well I was. I got to IOG a rack Op Operations Group in two thousand and one, and it was obvious from the get go that the incoming Bush administration was serious about a ROCK. Under Clinton, they'd probably have an Iraq meeting once a month. Under Bush they were having two to three meetings a week. So you know, clearly that was you know, something was going to happen there. And I got to a Rock operations, and the task became you need to develop a COVID action program to support regime change in a rock. That was an experience in of itself. I mean, I had plenty of experience in COVID action at all different levels, but to be handed a program to develop a program when there wasn't anything there to build a program on right with a serious test, I mean, you know, people have a sort of a semi false image of what the agency does from Hollywood's and books and stuff. And you flip a switch and you got all these guys all over the place and they're doing this, and they're doing that, and they're blowing this up, they shooting. It doesn't work that way. And if you want to have a successful program, there has to be something there that you build on. There has to be people. There has to be opposition groups. If you have to build them from whole cloth, you're going to have problems. There have to be people there willing to do the job with you. I had a senior officer tell me, he said, you know, the one piece of advice I have with you is if you have to work with these people, work with patriots. Don't work with people who there for money or personal power, work with people who want to do right for their country, and finding people like that was difficult.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's interesting because you mentioned how, you know, working with the contras and the leadership was elsewhere here. You know, I don't know when it was decided, but it was Chilabi, right, a guy who lived in Virginia and setting.
Speaker 3: All these contents lived in London or London London? Okay, but how how does that.
Speaker 2: So?
Speaker 4: Somebody who had previously had on the show said that there were people, uh in the in the administration, like long term administration, you know, the bureaucrats. There were people who had been gunning for Iraq for a very long time, and and Bush was the right uh person to receive that message.
Speaker 3: Uh, Like how were they when they're.
Speaker 4: Asking you, you know, come up with plans for this regime change. I'm sure that there was pushback from your own analysts, from State Department, from people who knew like what was supposed to be the counterbalance to Iran if Saddam went.
Speaker 2: Yeah, let me tell you I was for a very long time as as I was a red headed stepchild. Uh. People people hated me, didn't want to see me and when they saw me come it was painful. Uh. You had you gotta remember at the time we started the Iraq program, we had just had nine to eleven UH and the agency, the do O, was in full counter terrorism swing. The the agency is not a big organization and the Director of Operations is not a big organization. UH in terms at that time, I don't know what it's like now. Case officers worldwide and in headquarters numbered less than the Ranger Regiment would And that's what we had to do. Everything we had to do from you know, the latest kop and bongie to you know, Chinese and North Korean missile tests and all this kind of stuff. And CTC, the Counterrism Center, put a strain on the system when they basically said we're going to increase by three to four fold what we have here, and the agency was like, we don't have them. They physically don't exist, right, And they were pulling officers, closing stations, and this huge stress hit the system. And then a rock shows up and says, oh, by the way, we need to do more, and it was just like, oh, it's just physically impossible. So there was a lot of pushback from my own people in the building. There were elements within the analytical community that said, this is probably not a good idea.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, the the the sense the analyst had was and correctly. So. You know, Saddam is a pain, but he's not a direct threat to the US. He's not going to attack the US. Uh. He's he's he's a problem in the region, but he's a problem. He's not a threat the military. The regular military is pretty much rotted from the inside. Uh. He doesn't have the capability anymore to launch a major invasion of any other country. He could, he could harass, he can attack and do this kind of stuff. At most, He's a regional annoyance, right, and probably not worth a war. Uh. But at the same time, you had elements. Uh, as you pointed out, they were long term elements. Uh. That a lot of them, I would say, we were political guys who came in and out of government. Uh, that top tier, who are political appointees, but who have done multiple tours of duty in the Pentagon, in the White House.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: You know, Cheney is a great example. He had done this rum self the same way that had been in the White House. They had been in the Pentagon back and forth. Uh. And you had these guys who were hell bent on we you know, we got to finish the job we started in the first golf for right. And and you had a group of neo cons especially people on the outside of the Pentagon who were advisors to the Secretary of Defense and to the Vice President, who's who kept saying, uh, touting the we are now in a unipolar world. We're the top dog, and we have to we have to show we want to demonstrate that we can act unilaterally in a light, efficient, rapid manner and and bring about change that we want. And we pick a rock.
Speaker 1: It's yeah, hw Bush did it in the Gulf War to show that you could build this global coalition. But I mean after nine to eleven, I mean, for the reasons that you just laid out, I mean it's completely unnecessary.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And you know, in no word, even they weren't even concerned about building a coalition. They're added to us, we can do this by ourselves. I was I was at a meeting with it at sent Common with General Franks and Rumsfeld had called on the phone and I could only hear one part of the conversation, but they were going back and forth on the plan, and Franks had been able to strip the thing down to two hundred and fifty thousand troops, and I you know, you could you could hear from his tone that he was getting a lot of pushback, and he eventually hung up and said, we are at one hundred and forty thousand. That's what the secretary wants. That's where our secretary is going to get and you can see them. You know, we have a theory, we have an idea, and we're going to prove it and we're going to test it out here, right, And it gets to some of the subsequent problems. I'll give you an example. We had the Agency had gotten in touch with many, many, many of the major unit commanders in the Iraqi Army and we said, you know, this shit's gonna happen. You don't want to be in the way. And they all say, okay, fine, we're going to surrender, but hey, we're not going to surrender until we see US troops. You know, you did that to us last time and we got hosts. So when the US troops show up, we're going to surrender. Well, the the unintended consequence was as as send Com explained, we have one hundred and forty thousand troops that leaves us one MP unit and their sole job is to keep the tr traffic flowing from Kuwait to Baghdad. We can't take prisoners, and so the military launched a leaflet campaign before the invasion telling people go home, put your cities on, and go home because there's no facilities. We can't take prison We don't have enough guys to do prisoners. We got enough to punch our way up to Bagdad. That meant that four hundred and fifty thousand Iraqi guys put on civilian uniforms and they're eight ks with them. I went home.
Speaker 1: It's ideological beliefs just completely overwhelming any sort of strategic rationality.
Speaker 4: And like just wishful thinking and not good planning. Like you know, I'm like I said, they're very smart analysts, both in the State Department and the agency and the military. And you know, you have all these soldiers who why don't you drop pamphlets and say remain in place, We're going to take over your pay. Uh, you know, like don't like stay in your barracks, don't come out, but will take over your pay. But this whole thing we went through with depathification, Like it's almost like nobody thought this through, or they did or or they did think it through, like smart people thought it through.
Speaker 3: And then I don't know whoever.
Speaker 2: Looked at it, you know, oh god, it was Look, you're right, there's there's a lot and it's one of the one of the things that that is, at least in my profession, the most dangerous is wishful thinking. Yeah, if I do A, then B is going to happen. The other guy's thinking, no, no, no C is gonna happen. No, no B is gonna happen. And there's a lot of wishful thinking. There was a lot of good advice that the powers in charge decided not to accept, h the depathification. You know, they were told time and time again. Uh, the Army, I mean the agency went in said, the army is not a problem.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: The army right now exists, the regular Army, not the Republican Guard. The Army exists as a social welfare program. You've got four hundred fifty thousand guys plus families plus people who depend on them, who get a salary and they go do their stuff. You know two three million people depend on that. Don't disband them. Take them and put them on the borders as a border police force. Pay them a salary, have them guard the borders, keep all the Iranians out, and all this stuff. And I was at a mediate at the White House and Bush asked how many Bathys are there? I said about seventy thousand, and he said, well, how many we got to take care of it? I said, it's only about five thousand or so. Who really a hardcore believer? The rest of them, It's like the Communist Party. You want to be a teacher, you got to be a party member. You want to be a copy you got to be a party member. You want to run the oil fields party member. They don't give a shit. What they want is a job. So all you got to do is deal with five thousand. Well what do they do? Get rid of all seventy thousand? Now you got four and fifty thousand unemployed soldiers, seventy thousand unemployed bathies, which meant that the teachers were all fired, which meant that you had thousands of teenagers with nothing to do. And you know what happens then, and it'll all turn to shit very quickly.
Speaker 4: And all the public works, like every functioning part of government. Yeah, was like suddenly out, Yeah, you do you I mean you may not want to throw shade or spill the tea. But were there specific people who were responsible for these decisions that went against all logic?
Speaker 2: Yes, oh yes, I mean yeah. I for your listeners, you know, I would refer you to there's a whole bunch of books out in Iraq that does name names and identify the people. But there was a coterie of senior people who were most definitely responsible for the mess that came after they were handed a document that said you shouldn't do this, this, this, and this because it will lead to that. And they took that document literally and said we're going to do this, this, this, and this, and then they're stunned. I mean I went again. I was in the I was in the sit room. No names mentioned, but the but the some senior officials in the Pentagon were briefing the president on the day after what are we going to do with the rock?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And the first line that goes up is the US occupation of Nazi Germany in forty five, and based on that, they start their presentation, and it was so bad that the Secretary of Defense had to stop it and say, still, okay, we're not ready, mister President. We'll get back to you. And clearly they had no idea what they're doing, he said. The analysts were saying, you can't use Nazi Germany as a template for a rock right right, And and there was no plan. Literally, there was no plan. It was good. It was it'll fix itself. And that gets to your mention of Challaby. Chalibi was a very articulate, very poised, westernized rock. He wore four thousand dollars suits Taylor made in savile row in London, spoke excellent English, and had snowed all these senior officials. And his argument was it's gonna be okay because I'm gonna be welcomed, my guys will be there, we'll fix everything for you. And it gets that wishful thinking, it's gonna it's gonna be fine, this is what's gonna happen, and they bought it. It's gonna happen.
Speaker 4: Was there any intelligence supporting that or did he just do like the right politicians and make them believe it.
Speaker 2: There was no intelligence supporting that. You know we told them, and they senior officials in the Pentagon hated us because we went in there, and they hated the State Department. We said, Chalab is a con man. Chalabi doesn't have anything. All the exiles have been exiles for thirty years. They have no following inside a rock. They have no infrastructure of capability, no organizations. They can't deliver on anything. And we're gonna it's it's gonna go into these hands and we're gonna have to deal with it, not them. It's not going to get fixed. Nobody listened Jolla B. Excuse me, Challa B worked his magic on him and they bought it. They believed he's gonna fix it, and he.
Speaker 3: Got there and he's a total outsider with like nobody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so tell us about your your experience landing in Baghdad and running ops.
Speaker 4: Let's do this real quick, because you have the Iraq Operations Group started, you know, you start there in two thousand and one.
Speaker 3: How did we get to w d's and yellow Cake.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's a good question. I don't know. Uh, it's not a cop out. And back to our early discussion. I'm gonna paraphrase Julius Caesar UH. Iraq was divided into three parts. UH. The counter Terrorism Center handled Iraq counter Terrorism issues, Counterproliferation Division CP IRAQ handled WMD, and then everything else else in the COVID fell to a rock operations group. I was on. I mean I was in a periphery because I would sit in some of the briefings. But the best I can assess is there were no reliable human sources on a rock WMD. Most of what we had came from liaison services, you know, Germans, Brits, Italians, whoever. I mean, I don't know. I'm just rattling off names. I don't know if they provided anything technical means, And as the analyst explained, it pretty much a formula. In the First Gulf War, Iraq had so many chemical weapons, so many were decommissioned after and this much is left. So this is what they have chemical weapons.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Then there was a whole host and one of the one of the problems you face in any kind of intelligence operation is, especially when it starts to be big like this and people UH smell money in the air, is you get a lot of fabricators, people who will make up ship and tell you stuff in return for money. They say, oh, we can get some money. The yellow cake thing came out of if I understand it correctly, and I could be wrong, came out of Nigeria. I think it was or niger I'm not sure which that they were. The Iraqis were buying the stuff, uh, but it was. It was not very well sourced and it was weak. But we had elements of the administration who would latch onto anything right that would make their case. So I'll give you an example. I was sitting in my office in CIA headquarters and a message came in from one of our stations saying that this guy, this Iraqi had volunteered, walked into the embassy and said he had information from the head of Iraqi intelligence who wanted to cooperate with us. So I had him do a check and by the time the information on this guy came back to me, I had a senior agency officer we won't name names, standing in front of me saying, the Vice President wants you to send somebody to meet this guy because he has valuable information. And somehow he had gotten this information. I don't know how we got it, probably from the briefer. And I said, well, we ran checks on this guy. The CIA terminated him for being a fabricator, terminated him for being a fabricator. The Austrians terminated for him for being a fabricator. I think he's a fabricator. And I think the guys here with the load of bullshit just to get some money. And they kept insisting you got to meet the guys. I'm not going to waste somebody's time flying out there talking to a guy who's lying to us and then putting the information out knowing you it's a lie, right, And I said, you know, you guys pay me for my expertise and my experience, and when three different intelligence services terminate somebody for being a fabricator, I don't want to have to do it a fourth time. I looked like an idiot, and boy did I get a load of shit.
Speaker 1: You were not their buddy.
Speaker 2: After that, no, and you know it, they tried to send somebody else out there. And we had a lot of this stuff where there was at least sourced information or suspect fabricators, and they kept trying to force us. We met a guy who claimed to be an a rocky nuclear physicist, and we thought, now this guy's a fabricator. I said, no, what do you think he's a fabricator? Oh, because Chalabi's people have directed us toward him, so we had to send people out. So we had to send people out. This came out from the White House. So we sent people out to debrief the guy, and they were doing the debriefing, and the guy was clearly nervous because he kept going to the bathroom all the time. We're fifteen minutes. He had a p Fortunately, we had an analyst there who was a nuclear physicist, and the guy went to the bathroom. It's one of those old fashioned doors. We had the glass pane on top. And the analyst stood in a chair and looked inside the bathroom and the guy was pulling his sleeve out and reading all the notes that he had written on his arm, and that's where he was getting his information. FOW and he came back and he said, sky's nice. He's not a physicist. Doesn't know what he's talking about. I asked him two or three questions. He doesn't understand UH. And and the White House had had the Defense Intelligence Agency parole the guy into the us UH to provide additional debriefing and information. We said this this.
Speaker 1: This stuff is like, I'll be honest to leis is it's like mildly traumatic to hear because you know, I served in Iraq in the army. Dave served thousands of American soldiers served a lot, My son served in Iraq in the army. A lot did not come home. Yeah, and to hear that, you know, our our troops were sent under such dubious circumstances, it is difficult. It's difficult to process.
Speaker 2: It is incredibly difficult to process. It is you know, I again, I it's one of the things I struggle with. You. You can make you can make a logical argument that the neocons made that you know, we're trying to create a better rock and and you know Saddam was was a savage and his sons were savages and the world is better off without them. But the end result is is we left a much more unstable Middle East. Yeah, we created a lot more terrorism, more insurgency. We lost a lot of goodwill that we obtained after nine to eleven. And I have a friend who you know, he worked with me on a rock and he's gonna be pissed about this stuff. But because he's a believer in getting rid of Saddam. Uh. But we sent a lot of American men and women into a situation they didn't have to be in. Uh. I you know, I my son was in a rock and I spent a year. I couldn't even watch the news because I and you know, and he's he lost friends and I I I understand that at the end of the day, the soldiers fight for each other, and that's what they're there for, to make sure the guy next to him doesn't get killed, that they have their back. Uh. And it's it's it's that bond and that whole flag ship and whatever. It's nice and the big picture is nice, but at the end of the day, you fight for your buddy. Uh. And that's the only the only saving grace I have towards this whole rock thing. You know, people people who didn't who never served their country in that capacity, had no qualms about sending men and women into this this ship storm.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: For you know, it's probably bogus is too strong a word, but it's you know, it's a cause you you look at it's not necessary.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and Congress, Yeah, I'm sorry, Congress.
Speaker 3: Wasn't that divided on this either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, uh you know it's it's and and it pissed me off because it didn't have to be as hard and painful as it was, right, exactly right. They made it worse. They and they kept making it worse. And it gives I remember sitting in uh in the sit room they were having a meeting. I always went with a director as a plus one, and the president was there, and they were all going back and forth. And and the only two guys in the room who kept raising objections, uhh were Colin Powell and Richard Armitage. And they were the only two guys in that room had fought in combat. And they kept saying, you know, you're this is this is not just doesn't make any sense, right and and and everybody else who did not never did and their kids never went. None of them this ship. They they just did. They didn't. They didn't heed the advice.
Speaker 1: Lewis, what what was could you tell us about your personal experiences in Iraq when you were running ops over there and back.
Speaker 2: Then, No, I ran I did, I did headquarters, I did the lead up to the war and the end of the conventional operations. Uh I prepared for my next overseas assigning, which was India. I watched I watched operations there from Afar.
Speaker 1: Oh I see. Okay, So let's jump into your time then as cos in New Delhi, because I think India is just an absolutely fascinating country, pivotal pivotal country perhaps in some of the conflicts that we're looking at in this century. Let's let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: Uh yeah, I mean, I agree with you. When I joined the agency, Uh, India is one of those places I wanted to go to. I wanted to go to places that were as different from the US as I can get. I wanted a different experience, and in India, let me tell you it is. I don't know if you've ever been there, but it is a feast for the senses, fascinating place. I enjoyed my time in India. Uh. Work there is challenging.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 2: The Indians are all over you it. There are still significant elements of the Indian government and security services that grew up in a very pro Russian world. Uh. They were part of the non line movement. But I may tell you their buddy buddy with the Russians. And you know, the Russians are their main suppliers, their main trainers. UH. And we are viewed as as the Indians have three main enemies. The first one is obviously Pakistan. Uh, the second one is the US and the third was China. When I was there, what.
Speaker 1: Was your opinion of R A W and I.
Speaker 2: B Uh not bad there are I mean the I the the I B is a good domestic security service. H R a W has Uh. I think a good regional coverage.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: There their officers are fairly well trained.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: They have good training program. Uh. The the Indian services are getting or getting better because they are being pushed to expand capabilities. When I was there, the Indians were still struggling with what they wanted to be. They were trying to develop strategies, what the future was going to be, what their role was going to be. Was it regional? Did it expand more? Uh? And one of the things, obviously was their intelligence capability and so they were trying to come to grips with that. Uh. You know. One of the the challenges. And I used to laugh with them because I was declared to them and I dealt with the with the Indian Services. One of the challenges they were facing was keeping, retaining and hiring employees because everybody says, oh, you know, India to the land of a billion people and they must have hundreds of thousands of surveillance and stuff. No, they were losing people to the IT industry.
Speaker 1: Makes sense, like the dot com boom in America. I mean we dealt with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, you know, the guys were talent. It used to be the Indian Civil Service was a highly prestigious organization. They they went to schools, to colleges, they graduated, they have they call them batches almost like military academies where they all graduated stuff. And uh, it was good paying jobs. You got a pension, they gave you housing, all this kind of stuff. And then the IT boom came in, and you know it companies and call centers are paying three four, five, six times uh what an ib or raw officer would get. And they're saying, we're having a hard time. We're competing, and you know, the agency was faced the same thing with you know, we're competing with with for university graduates who can make three, four or five times what they make at the agency. Uh, but you know they were they were you know, we've we've seen it with all these these accusations of of the Indians assassinating seek separatists in different countries. Uh, they're they're starting to feel their oats. Yeah, and they're getting out there. And it's a multipolar world. Huh.
Speaker 1: It's a multipolar world, yes.
Speaker 2: Uh, in India is now. I think they have settled on the the abroad as they call it, the Indian Ocean area East Africa, their environment. But I think, you know, yeah, we look at them as instrumental in some of our strategies against China and in the Indian Ocean. India is never going to be the ally we need. And I don't say this maliciously or not, but for us to think, I mean we look at an ally as somebody with shared common interest and agreed upon goals. We're never going to get that from India. They have different goals, they have different interests, They have still a sense of a non aligned movement that they don't want to get tied to the US.
Speaker 1: What do you think of Like I believe it was Ambassador Blackwell pend Apiece and Foreign Affairs about how we should basically just arm up the Indians, and they're naturally going to do what we want them to do.
Speaker 2: Never do what we want them to do. If anything, they'll get pissed off if we if we assume they're gonna do what we want them to do. Uh, it's it's the Indian they don't like that they have And this is where we get into that wishful thinking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, we.
Speaker 2: View China as a threat. India must view China as the same threat. Uh. You know, you look at the religion. Pakistan views India as a threat. India doesn't view Pakistan as a threat. They them as an annoyance. They view China as a threat. China doesn't view India as a threat. Uh. They're they're a competitor. But there's no way that the Indians are going to be a threat to China. They're not going to invade China. They're not going to take over. They're not going to push China out of their spheres of influence, whereas China could do that to India. India doesn't want to have a problem with Pakistan. They understand that. You know, if you're going to be a power, a regional power, at least you can't spend time with bullshit border problems. The pakistanis. They can't afford India not to be a threat. The Pakistani military has so much power and authority and money because they have blown up the Indian threat to such a large extent. And if they turn around and say, hey, let's make peace with India, which India would probably buy, then someone's gonna say, well, why do we need all this crap that we give you?
Speaker 4: So so India is basically the counter narcotics program of the eighties for Pakistan's military and intelligence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you can say it that way. You know, I just India is not going to give us what we want. They'll they'll give us peacemeal stuff, They'll give us things where they think they will win more. It's sort of a you know, a trade off. But they're not going to They're not going to be for us like Japan is or Australia or.
Speaker 4: You bring up an interesting point because I always wondered why we didn't more, you know, court India more, because it seems as though there are a regional counterpoint to China that that that we have a lot of alliances, but what is it that uh India you know, wants for themselves that that wouldn't be in alignment with the US's strategic goals.
Speaker 2: Well, I think I think India. India wants to I think be the premier power in the Indian Ocean. Uh. The US is uncomfortable with letting anybody be a premier power anywhere. Uh. They want to have the greatest extent of influence in East Africa. UH, We're probably not comfortable with that. They want to be able to secure the lines of communication into the Middle East because of oil and the oil coming back and forth. We don't want that. I'll give you. I'll give you a fine example. During the Iran Iraq War. Iran was mining the Gulf and attacking shipping and stuff, and the US sent in the navy to secure an escort the ships out and secure the Gulf, and we guaranteed the free passage. And this is where you get to You can't do wishful thinking or mirror imaging. Because we saw ourselves as we are now guaranteeing freedom of the seas. China and India saw the opposite. Their attitude was if the US can keep the Straits of Hormuz open, they can close them and in a time of conflict, that's exactly what they're going to do. So we need to build naval capability to get in there and keep the straights open ourselves, which is one of the reasons why the Chinese are starting to build a big navy that will eventually start to go into the Indian Ocean, which is why the Indians are going to get started. You know, we got to stop the Chinese. We need to build a big ocean because both these countries get a significant portion of oil from the Middle East, so in that regard, you know, we're all going to be competing for space and primacy in that area.
Speaker 1: So I mean, look, the United States Army has been conducting training exercises for the Indians. They did one this last year, or in twenty twenty three, they did one, you know, not on the Chinese border, but within like one hundred kilometers. Like, this relationship exists, and I just wanted to kind of probe you a little bit as far as like, what do you think is a realistic US India security relationship.
Speaker 2: Well, I think one of the first things is, and I don't know if it's going to happen, but what the Indians would like to see in order to improve that relationship is for US to begin divesty our obsession with Pakistan. That has always been a sticking point with him. When I was there, Uh, the Indians were always pushing you need to help us with Pakistan. Pakistan is sponsoring terrorist attacks against India. And the US was so heavy invested in Pakistan giving us a card or into Afghanistan, that we weren't about to upset the Apple card.
Speaker 1: Could that change now with the with our extraction from Afghanistan?
Speaker 2: It can if the US policy starts to shift, and if the US has got to make a clear decision we're choosing India over Pakistan because Pakistan has pretty much chosen China over the US, which is yeah, freaking the Indians out. Uh. And and and now China is working on port facilities in Pakistan and the Indians are really getting getting tense about that. Uh. But we've got to make a very clear situation. The Indians are are interested in getting from US military. Know how, everybody has seen how the US military functions, and they understand, you know, if you're going to fight a war, that's the model to follow right now, So yeah, they're going to host US forces in India. The Navy the air Force, the army. They're going to want to do joint things because they want to learn from us. But you know, the trust issue remains. Are these guys gonna ditch us as soon as Pakistan comes calling?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: We you know, not to not to not to beat the US about the hidden and shoulders, but but our reputation over the last fifteen twenty years has suffered significantly. We are not the reliable partners that people used to think we were. Right. You know, you got you got the Europeans right now planning for the eventuality that if Trump gets elected and decides to yank US out of NATO, they're on their own. So how do they cushion themselves? And other countries are watching them, saying if you're if if the Europeans can't rely on them, we surely can't. So so you know a good deal is going to be We've got to rebuild those those alliances, those trusts, Uh, those capabilities. It's you. I'm just I know I'm preaching the choir and I'm just babbling here. Uh, but people don't understand. Yes, the US has untold bases overseas. You know, how the hell do you think we project power. Uh, you're not. You're not gonna land. You're not gonna go from Missouri to to Pakistan overnight. You need bases, you need facilities. How do you think we get are wounded? Where do we get them to Frankfurt? You pull on that crap out and we're we're out. We're out of the Middle East, We're out of South Asia, We're out of all.
Speaker 1: These places isolated island.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so in everybody in all these countries are looking, uh, and they're looking with with with two ideas of mine. Is the US dependable and trustworthy? And if the answer is no, how do we slip in and take over? And I don't mean, you know, conquered, but how do we fill in that vacuum? Because that's there's going to be a vacuum there and we need to fill it sooner rather than later.
Speaker 4: I know we've had some, uh, some challenges dealing with Pakistan in the past, and partly because we've had an ambassador too that had been in love with Pakistan and just would not let anything happen in their yard. Do do countries like India do they have that benefit also where ambassadors will just just go to bat for them.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's it's it's it's interesting to watch. And not just ambassadors.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: You know, there's a reason why we have two and three year assignments, and that's to avoid client titus. And the longer you stay in a country, the more you get client titus. I have I have seen ambassadors in India who are are a big cheerleader for that country.
Speaker 1: And there are appointees they don't know anything about diplomacy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and and you know, and they forget. I mean I worked for one ambassador who was he is independently wealthy. Uh, so you can't say, you know, you don't forget who pays your salary. He didn't even take a salary. Uh. And and you know they see they see it to some extent from the locals eyes, from the Indian eyes, and they instead of becoming a representative of the US toward that country, they become representative that country toward the US.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And a lot of these countries work really hard to establish that relations. They do it to our chiefs of station. Uh. You know, there's nothing like if you're the chief of station and the director of the CIA comes to visit, that the local services can get the director of meeting with the president or Prime minister. They take them on this trip and they go here and he says almost kind and the glory goes back to you always got everything plugged in. Uh, you don't want to upset the Apple card. They're making you look good.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Right, So you know you tend to be hands offish. We don't want to we don't want to press them on some issues. And I've seen that where where you know the US policy is we got to press them on it said, oh, you don't want to upset them. Uh. So yeah, it goes, It happens, and it happens not infrequently.
Speaker 1: So what was what was the next stop for you? After Chief of Station of New Delhi. Oh that was out of all bizarre things. I went to be the scholar in residence in Miami, University of Miami.
Speaker 2: Uh. My then wife, her parents had moved to Florida. Uh. Her father had had his second heart by paths and her mother was recovering from breast cancer. So we needed to ah be close. So there was an opening where you know, I taught uh national security issues and I did a couple of years there, uh, and then went back up to Washington to do uh counterintelligence for CTC and retired out of there.
Speaker 1: And how is uh, how have you enjoyed retirement? What's that like?
Speaker 2: Oh? God, I love it. Uh, I got I gotta tell you. It's uh being in the director of operations, especially overseas, but in some headquarters assignment UH from the military. Uh. It is a demanding job. Twelve hour days are the norm, working six five and a half six seven days a week, not unknown. When I was doing a rock I would be in the office at five point thirty in the morning, go home and ten at night when I didn't sleep in the office. You know it even overseas, you're you know you especially when you start out you have a regular job and then you got to do your agency job, which tends to be at night and weekends and stuff. So it takes as toll after a while. It is also it's an isolating job psychologically, and then you retire and it's like it's it's When I went through the retirement program, they had a speaker who was a psychologist and he specialized in retirement stuff and OLASA and he said the number one thing that that people extole about retirement is sleep. And the fact that they can sleep. So it's it's it's nice, it's it's different. You you you know, like you're in this. You're in the agency, and you're you're very isolated. You're in the building, you can't you can't take phones in. You don't have access to streams information. Uh people outside. You can't really tell what you do. You can't discuss your day even when you go home, especially overseas, and you go home, you can't talk to your spouse and say, how how was your day. You don't know if somebody's listening. Uh. So it tends to isolate you and you retire. And I mean a guy I worked for retired. He's teaching at one of the universities. He is. I don't I can't see ever going back. I am. I am now so plugged. Did so much information, talking to people and all this kind of stuff, which you don't do even inside the agency. You know, we function on the need to know basis. So I'm not telling the guy next to me who sits next to me necessarily what I'm doing or how my cases are gone, because he doesn't have a need to know. She doesn't have a need to know. So it does tend to get you isolated. That changes when you retire.
Speaker 1: Where are you at today? What are you doing now?
Speaker 2: Talking to you?
Speaker 3: And we appreciate it.
Speaker 2: No, I'm not doing anything. It's you know, I live in d C. For a while after I retired. I did some contracting work that about for five years or so after I retired, and you know, it's okay. A lot of people turn around and go back working for the agency as a contractor. It's I got to do. I'm fortunate. I got to do pretty much I want when I joined the agency, and so there's nothing left to do, and other than it would be there collecting a paycheck, which is not intellectually stimulating for me. I write a blog just to keep my you know, my mind going. I read I got a twelve year old daughter who's in school that you know, sucks up a lot of my time, wonderfully so, and not much.
Speaker 1: Where Where can people find your website?
Speaker 2: It's called the Debrief, a rundown of today's national security interest. I should have given you something, but I'm too goddamn lazy to do anything about it. Again, it's, you know, it's the website. The blog is is we'll put it in the description.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's uh, for those of you listening, it's debrief, Uh debrief A rundown d E B R I E F A r U N D O w N dot com.
Speaker 2: Thank you. It's it's geared toward non professionals. Uh, it's you know, I believe that it is important for layman the people out there to understand how intelligence functions, because we go to war or not based on intelligence. It affects our lives whether we know it or not. And while people do not have access to sources and methods, they should understand how it works. Uh uh and the complexities involved, because again, it's not it's not what you see in Hollywood. It's not some guys SIT's in computer flips to switch and he's got all the cameras in the world pouring in there. It doesn't work. It is. It is a different skill set. It is labor intensive. Anyway, I'm babbling, but it is. And every now and then I babble on about what's going on in the world.
Speaker 1: That's great, No, Lewis, this has been like a super informative episode and actually I would love to have you back at some point to talk like like maybe zero in on some specific like geopolitical issues. But this has been a this has been a great conversation.
Speaker 2: I'd be happy to come back to this. There's no case officer on Earth who doesn't want to babble to an audience and say listen.
Speaker 3: To me, Well, we we deeply appreciate it.
Speaker 4: I don't want to keep you too long, but I do want to ask you one question about your time, as you know, doing counterintelligence. We had James Olsen on you know, who was Director of counter Intelligence for a while, and he talked about how it's very different than being a case officer and that it if you let it get to you, it can make you very paranoid. And how was that for you ending your career in a sea ipost.
Speaker 2: Well, I've I'll give you the the spiel should be that every case officer does counterintelligence. It's it's the only way you survive in the field. And I've had several counterintelligence positions. Mister Olsen is you know, the term is used too loosely nowadays, but it does apply to him that he is a living legend. He is really good at what he does, and he's he's right. The more you do it, the more paranoid you become, because you understand what can happen. And a good counterintelligence officer understands all the possibilities, all the permutations, and starts looking to see which is actually the case in this situation. But it does. I tell you I have been retired since twenty ten, I still look for surveillance. I step out of my house and the first thing I do is I look up and down the street to see what cars are there? Do I know the cars? Are the people sitting in the cars? What are they doing? And it's stupid because nobody's gonna be following me. I'm nobody other than you know if it's criminal activity. But just like like an army officer can never look at a piece of terrain without thinking, how do I hold it? How do I take it? A case officer looks at everything. Oh that's a good dead drop. Oh that's a good meeting site. Oh I can turn. I mean I turn corners, and I do it in a fashion that gives me a logical way to look behind me. So, yeah, you do get a degree of paranoia.
Speaker 3: You do.
Speaker 2: You do get jaded. I am not judgmental about Yeah, maybe I am, but I'm not stunned by the things people do. Uhh. I gotta say, I've probably seen it all. Uh and I have dealt with people who have done it all. And and there you know people that I would never have over my house for dinner. Ah. So it does skew your view of people and life in general. H it it again. I apologize for the landings, but it does fuck you up beyond belief.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's got to be hard too.
Speaker 4: Because you could potentially ruin somebody's career if if like you're wrong and you know uh oh yeah, but but you but you ruin your job if you're if you don't pursue it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's it's.
Speaker 2: It's a high wire act. I mean, you know, it's always this just just like what you just did right now is what a CIOF is going to be doing. I could do this, this could happen here it is and you start looking a different permutations and start spinning you up.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, it seems like a tough job. Let me get some questions real quick. Olms, thank you very much. Headphone?
Speaker 2: Is that chilly cool?
Speaker 3: Thank you?
Speaker 4: That's probably some meaning that I just don't get I'm too old. Chop At TV, thank you very much, Number one, Ryan Joffrey, thank you very much for my dead father. Chris incredible man, Patriot, our condolences. And Corbyn, thank you very much. After the two thousand and eight Mumbai attacks, the relationships between the US and India begin to solidify. In any form of cooperative training.
Speaker 2: Training, No, not from the intelligence perspectives. The Indians are extremely proud and do not take agency training lightly unless it's of a technical nature that they don't have a capability of which they're pretty well heals. No, it did not change. Uh. It actually to some extent exacerbated the relationship because we would not help them as much as they wanted us to help them because the Pakistan issue.
Speaker 3: What is there? Where is their background in terms of their intelligence training? Who did they like?
Speaker 4: Did they base their intelligence methodology often in particular country?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they started from the British. Yeah, okay, it is. It is. It is modeled on m I five and m I six. Uh. But somewhere in the sixties that split off and the organization stayed the same. But a lot of the training came from the Russians.
Speaker 3: Okay, and then on Patreon. Oh, this is what we'll answer.
Speaker 4: This is this question about Ranger tab we weill uh, well, we'll answer this.
Speaker 3: Question on Patreon. So that's it. Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: We deeply thank you for having me enjoyed it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this has been an awesome interview, and like I said, I love to talk to you again. Should I announce who's coming up next week?
Speaker 2: Sure?
Speaker 1: I uh, I'm sorry if I'm a little delinquent on this.
Speaker 3: Well, Jack's looking that up.
Speaker 4: Make sure you check out check out debrief a rundown dot com.
Speaker 1: And please take a look at our friends at Casa Carabello Cigars Casocarabeo dot com. That's what we've been smoking here on the show.
Speaker 2: Next week, we're gonna have Frank Delasio. Thank you for another ATS agent in studio.
Speaker 1: So yeah, Frank was on the episode once or was on the show once before, and he's gonna come in studio and I think actually he's gonna he's bringing one of his buddies with him too, So we'll have him here next Friday. We're definitely excited about that. Thanks for reminding me. So, Louis, thank you for an awesome episode man, Thank you very much. Yeah, I have a great rest of your weekend and I hope to talk to you again soon. All right, thanks Mal, all right, see you guys soon. Thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: Thanks everybody.