Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI AM six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: App KFI and KOST HD two Los Angeles, Orange County.
Speaker 3: That include a good calls Amy, Okay.
Speaker 1: Good morning, it's five o'clock. This is your wake up call for Monday, November fourth. I'm Amy King. Do you have a good weekend? Did you have a successful fallback? I didn't even have to change many clocks? Does it for you automatically? Isn't that nice? Except for the one that's really high up on the wall that I have to climb up on a chair for. But I don't know if this affected you this morning, but I woke up. I normally get up at two thirty, and I woke up at one thirty, which yesterday would have been two thirty. My internal clock hasn't adjusted yet. Also, Halloween is down at the King Household. All the spooky stuff is gone and put away for the year.
Speaker 4: Hall.
Speaker 1: Thanksgiving is up. Have you done your decorating yet? I'm itching for Christmas, but I gotta wait one holiday at a time, Gotta wait till after Thanksgiving. Here's what's ahead on wake up call this day before election Day, Santa Ana wins are blowing through southern California. A red flag warning for high fire danger is in effect until six o'clock tonight, with wind gus up to sixty miles per hour expected in the northern San Fernando Valley. The strongest winds are expected in Thousand Oaks, Santa Clarita, Rancho Cucamonga, and the Lake Arrowhead area. More than seventy two million people have cast their ballots early in this election. That is for both mail in and in person voting across the country. Political analysts say early voting could prove decisive, with the number of ballots cast by new voters in twenty twenty four setting records in many states. We're going to be checking in with ABC's Karen Travers in a couple of minutes to find out what Vice President Harris is doing on this day before election Day, and then we'll find out where the Trump train is rolling with ABC's Steve Portnoy. Stephen Portnoy at six twenty and at the bottom of the hour, Lots of election stuff today, We're going to be crunching numbers with ABC's Steve Roberts to see if we can get a little insight into who might actually win, because everybody's saying it's just too close to call. Legendary music producer, composer, and songwriter Quincy Jones has died. His family says he died peacefully last night at his home in bel Air. He produced the TV series The Fresh Prince of bel Air. He produced Michael Jackson's thriller Frank Sinatra's Mac the Knife, and worked with hundreds of musicians during his career. Quincy Jones was ninety one. This weekend, you can take a run or a walk at the beach for a really good good cause. It's the Heroes of Hope Run at Dackwiler State Beach. We're going to tell you about that before the top of the hour, so we hope you'll stick around for all of wake up Call. Lots of great stuff planned for you today. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Can't even imagine if we just put a list of all the songs and all the artists that this man was involved with. Legendary music producer Quincy Jones has died. His publicista as Jones died last night at his home in bel Air, surrounded by family. They put out a statement saying Jones's death is an incredible loss, but they celebrate the great life he lived and know there will never be another like him. Jones once said in an interview with Billboard Magazine, It's important to believe in yourself, know.
Speaker 5: Who you are, learned to love who you are, because you can't love anybody else if you will love hisself.
Speaker 1: Q, as he was known, had twenty eight Grammys. He started out as musician and later worked with a long list of artists from Count Bassie to Frank Sinatra to Michael Jackson. He also produced We Are the World in nineteen eighty five. Quincy Jones again was ninety one News brought to you by one eight hundred. Got junk and La County fire truck is overturned while headed to a cliff rescue in the San Gabriel Mountains. Engine thirty two veered off the road yesterday and apparently fish tailed as the driver tried to straighten it out. That caused the truck to overturn. It landed on its side. Three fire crew members were treated at the hospital. Highway thirty nine near the San Gabrielle Reservoir was closed for about three hours. Two young men had been heard during a street takeover in Anaheim. A driver apparently lost control Friday and drove into a crowd of spectators at Orangewood Avenue and State College Boulevard. The injured nineteen year olds were found on the ground. Police that the injuries range from broken bones to abrasions. At least one had broken ribs. Striking Boeing workers are set to vote whether to accept a new contract offer or continue their strike, which started in mid September. The latest contract offer would give workers a thirty eight percent pay raise over four years. Union members recently rejected an offer that included a thirty five percent salary bonus and an earlier thirty percent pay hike. Workers have also been demanding the restoration of traditional pensions, but the company says that is not happening. Let's say good morning to ABC's Karen Travers. So, Karen, we're in the home stretch and the candidates between the two of them are making nine stops today.
Speaker 2: So it's busy yusy final day, and it was a busy weekend out on the campaign trail. The Vice President was in Georgia and North Carolina on Saturday, then she was in Michigan all day yesterday. She of course made that surprise stop in New York City on Saturday night to appear on Saturday Night Live. And today it's all about Pennsylvania. She has five different stops in Pennsylvania today, underscoring how important this campaign believes that that state is right now for her chances of winning. It's her eighteenth trip to Pennsylvania's and she launched her campaign in late July, and today.
Speaker 1: She's going to be all over the state.
Speaker 2: She starts off with a meeting with volunteers who are heading out to knock on doors and try to get people out to vote tomorrow. Then she heads to two different events aimed at shoring up Latino voters. Her campaign really sees an opening there and that they've seen movement among that voting group after those comments by a comedian last week at the Trump rally at Madison Square Garden. So they're really trying to lock that in because there's a sizeable Puerto Rican population in Pennsylvania. Tonight, then two big concert rallies Pittsburgh, first with Katie Perry and then finishing the whole campaign season off in Philadelphia at the Art Museum on those famous steps from the Rocky movie. Remember Rocky ran up the steps. She's going to be speaking at the top of them. She'll be joined by Lady Gaga, the Roots, other musical acts and Oprah.
Speaker 1: Wimfrey and Rocky. She's still there.
Speaker 2: The statue is there. It's not at the top of the steps, it's kind of off to the side at the bottom. But it's a big tourist destination, no surprise, and she will be delivering her remarks at the top of the steps there. They're anticipating a very large crowd tonight in Philadelphia eclock too. It's a really late rally, so she's kind of, you know, pushing it to the edge of the election eve time there.
Speaker 1: Okay, then on election Day Karen there. Are they not allowed to make appearances or do they still make more appearances tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Oh no, she could if she wanted to. I mean nothing right now that we know of on her schedule. She's going back to DC tonight. She'll be in DC tomorrow. You know, I think she would likely do maybe some radio interviews. I think you'll see your pop up on social media, but you know, they also wait for returns to come in. And Tomorrow night, her election event is scheduled to take place at Howard University, her alma mater here in d C. She has strong ties still to the university. She did her debate prep there before that September debate against Donald Trump. But we were expecting to see her at some point tomorrow night as the votes come in.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have a question for you. So she's doing all of her campaign appearances today in Pennsylvania. Trump is also going to be in Pennsylvania, but then he's hopping over to Michigan for his last one, and she's choosing not to go to Michigan today and also canceled something in Michigan on Saturday Night to go over to Saturday Night Live instead.
Speaker 2: No, no, she didn't. She was in Michigan all day yesterday. She did multiple stops in Michigan. She was just flying to Michigan. She eventually got there. She was going from North Carolina on Saturday, flying to Detroit, and they made the stop in New York City to do Saturday Night Live and then went on to Detroit. She was always scheduled to start her day yesterday in Detroit.
Speaker 1: Okay, so she was canceled. Okay, so she didn't cancel anything in Michigan. Or she's not avoiding Michigan. She just did it yesterday and is spinning today in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: Three plus stops yesterday in Michigan. She spent a whole day in Michigan yesterday.
Speaker 1: I am amazed at both candidates and their team's stamina for what they're doing. It's just crazy. This just traveling around and go and stop after stop. So I'm assuming that they're going to get a little bit of sleep on Wednesday. Maybe I doubt it.
Speaker 6: I doubt it.
Speaker 2: The results are going to come in pretty late because the voting I'll take a.
Speaker 1: While, so I doubt it. All right, Well, thank you so much for the update, Karen. We'll be talking to you again very soon. Have a great date, all right you too. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. A man has been found dead inside a boat that overturned off the coast of Redondo Beach. Five people were rescued, including a child. The overturned boat was reported just after one yesterday afternoon, about a mile off shore. The distress call was made by cell phone to the Redondo Beach Harbor Patrol. Five people, including the captain, were found clinging to the boat. Divers found the missing man who became trapped inside. La Metro has celebrated a new ridership milestone.
Speaker 7: Buses and trains across the system saw an average of one million daily riders in September. It's first time reaching that height since before COVID CEO Stephanie Wiggins told the Metro Board last week the agency strategies are attracting a variety of passengers.
Speaker 8: This growth has been powered not only by our regular writers, but by connecting writers to the diverse communities we serve.
Speaker 7: Writership was up ten percent on Metro's rail lines in September compared to a year earlier. Buses saw an increase of seven percent year over year in downtown La Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: California has been ranked number four in a report on states that do the best to help people deal with obesity. The nonprofit organization smile Hub released its report on the best States for health and Wellness in twenty twenty four. Smile Hub Business manager Luke Powers's California ranks well because it encourages healthier living.
Speaker 4: I think the strong performance in OBEs rate aligns with expectations for a state that prioritizes the active and healthy lifestyle.
Speaker 1: Federal health officials say about seventy five percent of adults in the US are classified as overweight or a beast seventy five percent. The governor of Oklahoma has declared an emergency in six counties impacted by tornadoes that hit the state over the weekend. Governor Kevin sid announced yesterday about one hundred homes were damaged and about thirty thousand households are without power.
Speaker 9: We've got more storms coming, so don't rely on don't rely on the sirens. Make sure you're watching your news and your cell phone's taking cover when you can.
Speaker 1: No deaths were reported yesterday, but several people were taken to hospitals. The governor also announced crews are making sure polling stations have power for tomorrow's election.
Speaker 3: Three two one.
Speaker 1: A six story mural of Dodgers' picture Fernando Valenzuela has been uncovered in Boil Heights, days after what would have been Fernando Vealezuela's sixty fourth birthday. He died on October nineteenth. The artist who painted the mural, Robert Vargas, said during a ceremony yesterday, that the mural is all about representation. The Dodgers bought Valenzuela's contract from a team in Mexico in nineteen seventy nine, and in nineteen eighty one, he helped the team from La win the World Series over the New York Yankees in six games. Balinzuela also pitched for the Angels, the Orioles, the Phillies, the Padres, and the Cardinals before becoming a Dodgers broadcaster. Nearly seven million voters in California have already cast their ballots ahead of election Day. That's about thirty percent of the ballots mailed out, but elections officials expect those numbers to go up higher when ballots cast over the weekend are added in. A magnitude three point three earthquake has rumbled Riverside County. The US Geological Survey says the quake hit at three twenty this morning near Lakinta, about seventeen miles southwest of Palm Desert. Beware of bears. Officials say bears near Lake Tahoe are getting ready to hibernate, so they're eating a lot right now, up to forty thousand calories a day. That means they'll likely be snooping through neighborhoods to find food. Officials say residents should keep trash in garbage carts or bear boxes, pet food inside, and keep outdoor grills clean. I would have never thought of the outdoor grills, but probably a good idea. Let's stay good morning now too. ABC's Stephen Portnoy, So President Trump is hitting a lot of stops on his last day before the election. We talked to Karen just a minute ago, so we thought we'd give you a chance to tell us what the former president is up to.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 10: The former president has four events on this last day of the campaign. It is a packed schedule. He begins his day in Raleigh, North Carolina, a state where he's scheduled four rallies in the final days of the campaign, A must win state for him. He won it by a percentage point four years ago and needs to hold it this time around. So he's got one more rally in North Carolina on this final day in Raleigh, then two stops in Pennsylvania, another must win state. He begins in Reading and then travels west to Pittsburgh, and then finally he caps off this cycle, this candidacy with an event in Grand Rapids, Michigan, which happens to be the same city where he ended his twenty sixteen and twenty twenty campaigns for the presidency. So it's something of a Trump campaign tradition.
Speaker 1: And he won Michigan in twenty sixteen, that lost it in twenty twenty, right correct.
Speaker 10: In fact, the margin for Trump in twenty sixteen was just ten seven hundred votes, but it was significantly larger for Biden in twenty twenty one hundred and fifty four thousand, so practically a factor of I guess a factor of ten there. And ultimately, in the end, Biden won that state with nearly three percentage points. And so Trump really wants to win that back for the Republicans. We'll see if he can do it.
Speaker 1: I have a question for you. He's been at rally after rally after rally, and Harris is doing it too. At this point, what is the point of the rallies Because the people who are attending these rallies are probably already supporting the rally the candidate for the rally they're attending.
Speaker 10: At this point. It's a about base motivating, it's about reminding people to get out to vote if they haven't already. It's about the positive presuming it is media attention, particularly in local markets that a rally can produce, and it's about being a physical presence. It's about demonstrating to the country, to your supporters from coast to coast, that you're in this to win it, and that you're working hard until the very last. Historically, these rallies have been helpful to each of these campaigns because they've been able to, through their registering for them, collect data on voters. And so you know, when you sign up to attend a rally, they capture your phone number and your email address, and they can use that data to bombard you with messages and then layer it over, perhaps with a voter file that then can track whether you have voted. And it's helpful for the campaigns to hold these events just as ways of capturing people's personal information, which sounds pernicious, but it's kind of sort of the way that campaigns are conducted. These days, it's all about collecting data to pound you over the head with these messages of hurry up and vote and send money and tell your relatives and friends to do the same.
Speaker 1: I would imagine people in swing states have got to be absolutely exhausted because we're inundated with the with the ads here and we're not a swing state, so we're not seeing any while. We're seeing some Trump Kamala, but we're not seeing a ton.
Speaker 10: Yeah. I mean, look, I think you know, we as a country have this collective problem every couple of years where we are just exhausted by the end of these campaigns and they never really do seem to end. And there are times where we look at overseas and we say, man, they seem to have it right, where they have just very very tight and narrow windows and strict controls on how these campaigns are run and even on how public opinion surveys are used by journalists in the final days. I don't subscribe to much of that, but I think the bottom line is that there, you know, we just happen to live in a society where we're perpetually engaged in this idea of self government, and it wasn't exactly the intent of the founders, perhaps, but it is where we are today, and it's an opportunity, whether it's the hot district attorney race in Los Angeles County, or the Senate race in the state of California, or the national vote and the whole question of the presidency. Really interesting to me yesterday how Kamala Harris didn't want to answer how she would vote. I believe it's on Prop. Thirty six.
Speaker 1: She'd I saw that, yeah, and so she said she's castor ballot. She sent it to California. But when they asked how she would vote on it, of course, this is the one that repeals part of Prop. Forty seven, which made a lot of felonies into misdemeanors, she wouldn't say.
Speaker 10: Right, And so it matters. Every vote matters, and it's I guess I'm talking myself in circles here, but the bottom line is gotta go and vote, folks.
Speaker 1: Aren't you excited for tomorrow?
Speaker 3: Can't wait?
Speaker 1: Actually it's not even tomorrow because it's not going to be decided tomorrow most likely.
Speaker 10: And that's the thing. You know, our partners at five point thirty eight, who are just you know, these data have done this great chart where you can sort of track hour by hour and see what the expected vote county is in each of the states. In California, I don't know what it is with you guys, but you lag behind the rest of the country, and so, you know what, it's a lot of us. Well, sure, I understand respect that, Thank goodness for it. But it's this whole idea of how to count all these ballots and report the results for the rest of the country. We may not know the makeup, for example, the House of Representatives for a long time because of the contested races in the Golden State and how long it'll take for all those ballots to be counted and reported out. So I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.
Speaker 1: Okay, I have another question for you, because you just mentioned the House. We're getting the polling that is showing the presidential race is just so tight. Are they showing that the House and the Senate races are that tight too, or is it really just the presidential thing that's neck and neck.
Speaker 10: On a national level, we have survey data that looks at what we call the generic ballot. We put the question to voters across the country, who would you like to see in control of Congress? Which has often been a predictor of the outcome. Well, guess what our five thirty eight polling average is this morning of this question, with about a half point in favor of the Democrats, which is obviously within the margin of error, and it indicates that we cannot predict how it's going to go. Earlier in this cycle, the Democrats enjoyed a lead, in a narrow lead, in that generic ballot. For example, in September, it was about two percentage points in favor of the Democrats. Now it's zero point six percent in favor of the Democrats. It's a tie, and that means that that razor thin majority the Republicans could wind up being the same smaller or an equally small majority for the Democrats.
Speaker 1: We do not know, okay, but we will be watching and we will talk to you again very soon. Stephen Bortnoy, thank you so much, as always for the information. You bet all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. Three crew members are injured after an LA County fire truck flipped over. It happened shortly after five point thirty last night on Highway three thirty nine above Azusa, near the San Gabriel Reservoir. The fire truck was on its way to a cliff rescue call. Authority say it fishtailed enrolled onto its side after it veered off the road a bit. All of the injuries were considered minor. A man who allegedly kidnapped his ex girlfriend in Almonte and led police on a chase has been arrested in Orange County. The woman told police her ex showed up at her workplace with a gun on Saturday night, argued with her, and then forced her into her car. She was able to call a friend, who called police and shared the woman's location through the Find My iPhone app The chase near ended near the four or five and Westminster Avenue in Westminster. An FCC commissioners called out Saturday Night Live over a surprise appearance by Vice President Harris. She appeared with Saturday Night Live Alumnaya Rudolph, who plays the VP in skits on the show leading up to the election.
Speaker 11: NBC has said it will comply with any regulatory obligations. SNL executive producer Lauren Michael's indicate just last month that neither candidate would appear on the show, citing concern about the FCC's equal time provision.
Speaker 1: Dimberts's NBC gave former President Trump's campaign free airtime for a sixty second ad during a NASCAR race Yesterday. The Israeli military says it has carried out a ground raid into Syria, seizing a Syrian citizen involved in Iranian networks. It was the first time in the current war that Israel announced its troops had operated in Syrian territory. Three astronauts who spent six months aboard the Chinese space station have returned to Earth. The crew came out of their capsule after touching down early this morning in China's Inner Mongolia region. A replacement three person crew arrived at their space station last week. Southern California, Edison says up to one hundred and sixty four thousand customers in La Orange, Ventura and San Bernardino counties could see their powers shut off today because of strong gusty winds. A red flag warning for high fires in effect until six pm. The strongest wind gusts up to sixty miles per hour are expected. In the northern San Fernando Valley, Boeing machinists will vote on a new contract that could bring an end to the more than seven week long strike. The Union for the thirty three thousand workers is encouraging members to vote in favor of the new deal, which includes a thirty eight percent pay increase over four years, a twelve thousand dollars signing bonus, and increased company contributions to four oh one k's TGI Fridays has filed for bankruptcy. The executive chairman of TGI Fridays says the main driver for the restaurant chain's money problems was the COVID nineteen pandemic. About fifty of the restaurants have already closed, seven in California planned to close, some will stay open as bankruptcy proceedings move forward. At five point fifty this weekend that you can take a run or a walk at the beach for a really good cause. It's the Heroes of Hope Run at Dackweiler. We're going to let you know how you can get involved and what important cause it's supporting.
Speaker 4: Again.
Speaker 1: That's come out up in about fifteen minutes but right now, let's say good morning to ABC's Steve Roberts, a news political analyst. So, Steve, the race is in a dead heat nationally and in the swing states. Vice President Harris is leading in some former President Trump leading in others. Is this the closest race we've ever seen?
Speaker 4: Yes, I think so, And if you look at the numbers this morning, there's sort of encouraging signs for both sides. Amy, you look at our ABC poll out this morning, Harris has a national lead of three points forty nine six. New York Times reports that late deciders are breaking marginally for Harris fifty five forty four, very important number. The electorate is close to fifty four percent female, and that's an enormous benefit to Harris because there's a huge gender gap this year and it's been true for Democrats for generations. Now they have to run up the score among women voters. That there are more women voters. It works for the Democrats, but there are two signs that work for Trump. One is that the single most important state in the country's Pennsylvania nineteen electoral votes. It could well decide this election. Whoever wins Pennsylvania could be president and Trump has clearly cut into Harris's lead in every poll in that state now calls it a dead heat. The other number that is extremely important is seventy four. That is the number in our ABC poll this morning, the percentage of Americans say the country is headed in the wrong direction. And that includes fifty percent of Harris. It includes fifty percent of Harris Amy. That tells you that the basic structure of this election has not changed with all of the turmoil, all of the sudden changes, whether it's Biden pulling out, Trump getting shot, the basic structure, the basic premise of this election has been the same from the beginning, and that is it's a change election, and that works for Donald Trump's advantage.
Speaker 1: And it seems, like you said, with all of the advertising and the rallies and the events that have happened and everything, we're still so closely divided. I mean, like half of the country is going to be really upset on Wednesday or whenever we get the results.
Speaker 4: Let me give you an astounding statistic. Okay, so four years ago, Donald Trump got forty six point nine percent of the vote. I looked this morning at the website, five thirty eight. This is a very good, independent, highly professional website that averages all the national polls. Donald Trump was at forty six point nine percent, exactly the same number down to the decimal point of what he got four years ago. So that reinforces your point. We've now had two extremely close selections. The country is very, very closely divided. Donald Trump has a very high floor, but a very low ceiling in terms of his ability to attract votes. He's never broken forty seven percent, let alone fifty percent. And but what this also means is that over ten years now, both sides have increasingly polarized, increasingly frustrated, increasingly depicting the other side not just as wrong.
Speaker 1: But as evil, I know, nasty.
Speaker 4: You know, there's Donald Trump, you know, both sides. You know, there's Harris calling Trump a fascist, and Trump calling Harris, you know, a demented you know, and stupid woman. And here's the danger here. If this does come down to one state like Pennsylvania, which is mirroring what happened in Florida twenty four years ago, there's huge differences, you know, because it's not it's you have the Internet. Now, you have the ability of people to spawn and distribute misinformation disinformation, conspiracy theories almost instantaneously you Donald Trump has told voters, now this is the third election where he's basically sung the same song, which is the only way we could lose is if the other side cheats. And so in two thousand, it's not as if anybody really thought if Gore Bush was elected it was going to be the end of the world. This year, people are so much more hateful, so much more fearful that if the other side wins, it's going to be the apococalypse. And so if you have anything like amy, a repeat of Florida twenty four years ago, I'm afraid that this could be an highly explosive and incendiary situation. Look, we've already had a January sixth We've already had an arm and insurrection at the Capitol and try to overturn an election four years ago. So this is not just people spinning out theories. This has already happened once, and I'm afraid it could be even worse this time.
Speaker 1: I'm wondering too, Steve, and I don't know if any of your analysis shows us that it's more about, like you said, if Gore one or Bush one, nobody thought the world was going to be over and with this one, the way that both candidates are going after each other in both parties, is it more about the.
Speaker 4: Candidate than yes, yes, yeah, this is not necessarily about issues. Sure they disagree on issues profoundly on some issues, you know, on abortion or on immigration policy. I'm not minimizing that. But you're absolutely right and saying the core of this is personal. The core of this is and they're closing arguments in many ways, are all personal. They're not about issues so much. Look what is Harris The tagline on her final adds, Many of them say Donald Trump unhinged, unstable, and unchecked. That's not about an issue. Sure, abortion is out there and the background is an issue, but the core of her message is you cannot trust Donald Trump, and the core of his message is you cannot trust Kamala Harris. This goes well beyond the longer list of issues. This is much more personal. This is getting to people's character and judgment much more than any specific issue. And that's one of the reasons why the emotions are so high, because look, you can disagree on issues, and you can compromise issues, you know, when it comes down to legislative debates, but character is harder to compromise.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, Well we will be watching and hope everybody can take a collective deep breath and chill and just accept what happens starting tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Or work with that.
Speaker 1: I know, well, I'm a hopeful person. I'm an optimist, Steve. Thanks so much for the.
Speaker 4: Look. I believe in the American system and I think in the and the American public will support it, assure.
Speaker 1: So thanks Steve. We'll talk to you soon. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. One person has been killed and five hundred to one thousand gallons of jet fuel has leaked onto the roadway in a tanker truck rollover crash in South la Please say, the driver of the tanker truck lost control on the one ten late Saturday night, rolled and came to rest on top of a black car. One person in that car was killed, two others where injured. Officials say the leak has been contained. Dawson's Creek actor James Vanderbeek has announced he has cancer. Andrew Dimbert says the actor was kind of forced to make the news.
Speaker 11: Public, saying he revealed the diagnosis earlier than he wanted because I was informed that a tabloid was going to run with the news. Apologies to all the people in my life who had planned on telling myself.
Speaker 1: Vanderbeek is forty seven. Dimbert says the number of people under fifty five diagnosed with colorectal cancer has doubled since nineteen ninety five. Doctors are now recommend recommending you get your first colonoscopy at forty five instead of fifty. Doctors say some factors that put people at risk include poor diet, lack of exercise, smoking, and heavy alcohol use, or, as my doctor said to me, it's just bad luck. Starbucks is welcoming the holiday season with a fresh lineup of festive cups with the theme Merrier Together.
Speaker 6: The cups are inspired by elements like roasting coffee beans, holiday lights, and Starbucks's signature green color. The coffee giant says each design, such as Joyful Connection and lyrical Landscape, captures the warmth of the holiday season. The collection introduces vibrant colors and a siren wave detail, which Starbucks says offers a cheerful touch to every sip. Starbucks hopes the design inspire joy and togetherness through their unique motifs. The cups will be available starting November seventh. Andrew Caravella KFI News and.
Speaker 1: The Christmas season is here. Sec Services increasing security head of the election. Fences are being reinforced at the White House and the Naval Observatory in DC. The Secret Services is not because of a specified threat, just part of overall preparations for election Day and its aftermath. Similar security increases are being done at the Palm Beach Convention Center, where former President Trump will hold his election night watch party. One person has been killed and five others, including a child, have been rescued after a boat capsized off the coast of Bredondo Beach. First Responders found five people clinging to the twenty five foot overturned boat yesterday afternoon. The person who died became trapped inside. Authorities haven't set yet what caused the boat to capsize. Almonte police a woman's Find My iPhone apt has helped them find a woman who was allegedly kidnapped by her ex boyfriend. Poli say the woman was taken at gunpoint from her workplace on Saturday night. The kidnapper led police on a chase for more than twenty miles. The woman's friend was able to find her location and shared it with police. They then tracked him down and arrested the guy and rescued the woman along the four or five in Orange County. Let's say good morning now to Lisa Malar, who is with Together in Hope the Heroes of Hope Race. Good morning, Lisa, Good morning, So Lisa, everybody gets a chance to be a superhero this Sunday. Please tell us about the Heroes of Hope Race.
Speaker 5: Oh great, Yeah, the seventeenth year of our Superheroes of Hope Race for Brain Tumor Research, and it's a very special day of hope and remembrance that helps to fund very much needive research for brain tumors for children and adults at Children's Hosto Los Angeles, UCLA and Cedar Sinai.
Speaker 1: So does the money raised here? Does it all stay here?
Speaker 4: It does?
Speaker 5: That's a great thing about our event. Excuse me. We're a small nonprofit and so we really like to make sure that the people that are donating can kind of have some control over what they do. They're fun so when they register they can donate to the team that they want, and that team also can choose what hospital they want to fund, and they're of course always welcome to fund all three.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then the cool thing, like you just said, the money stays here. But this race draws people from all over the country.
Speaker 9: It does.
Speaker 5: We've had people from I mean, I come from Virginia, which is kind of crazy, but that's how it started. And we have people that come from all over the United States. A lot of people from Las Vegas area, Nevada, Arizona, of course, northern California as well as southern California.
Speaker 1: Okay, so this one's kind of near and dear to me because my grandfather died of a brain tumor. My favorite aunt also had a brain tumor. And of course our friend Ronda, a huge Dodgers fan who I get to sit by at some of the games. She's a survivor and so she participates. As how we found out about you guys.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there is Moronda's sixteenth year this year. That's where one does almost every single one.
Speaker 1: That's great. How many people are by brain cancer.
Speaker 5: A lot too many. I lost my brother when he was twenty nine years old. But it's the leading cause of solid tumor death and children. It's the number one cause of cancer death in men under the age of thirty nine. And it's probably a quarter of a million people living with brain tumors right now.
Speaker 1: And do we have any kind of knowledge of what are some of the risk factors, Is there anything specific that is leading to this, and is it getting worse or is it just kind of awful.
Speaker 5: It's always been kind of awful. There is no known correlation at this point as to what causes it. Doctors that I've talked to believe that it could be a combination of genetics as you saw, it's kind of like in your family. It's kind of in my family as well. We've had several people in our family that has them, as well as the environmental exposure like radiation, things like that. So that's what they're taught talking about. But the problem really is that it's your brains. It's very difficult to treat. You can't take out your brain. You can take out pieces of it, but it grows back very quickly and the brain controls every function. So it's just in an area where it's very difficult to treat and On top of that, the brain has a blood brain barrier that protects itself from chemotherapy, so it's very hard to get the medicines to work. So it really is important to fund research. And also about twenty percent of all cancers will spread to the brain, and Ronda had melanoa that's spread to the brain, and so it's really important that we continue to fund it because at some point, probably everybody's going to be touched by a brain tumor in some way, shape or form.
Speaker 1: Okay, so let's move on to how we how we're going to raise money through this superhero event, the Heroes of Hope Race. When is it, where is it and who who can be part of it?
Speaker 5: It is on this Sunday, November tenth at doc Why our State Beach right behind lax Implia Dora. It starts at eight am for a five K and eight thirty am for a ten K. What we do ask everybody to get in before seven thirty because it gets a little crowded trying to get into that parking lot. Anybody can participate. We have women, men, children, there's doctors from all the different hospitals, nurses, caregers, people who have lost loved ones, superraintobers, people who have brain tumors, dogs on leashes can come. We have a kid's fun run at the end about nine thirty and all the kids get tutoo's and superhero capes. It's the cutest thing ever to watch them. And all you have to do is register at ww dot superheroeshope dot org. You can come as an individual, you can join a team, and if you can't make it, you can be a virtual runner as well. And if you can't do any of that, you can at least donate. So we hope everybody will try to participate in some way because it's super important.
Speaker 1: Okay, you mentioned you can virtually do because we have a lot of people listening on the iHeartRadio app who get to stream us because they're in different markets, So how would they be involved? Virtually?
Speaker 5: Just go to www dot superheroeshope dot org and click on a register to run a walk and click on virtual runner and I'll walk you through the process of registration and after the event's over, we'll send out a metal and a T shirt. And all you have to do is basically email us your route and your time.
Speaker 1: Okay, and is this a timed run or is it or can you walk it? If you want to walk?
Speaker 4: It's both.
Speaker 5: You can definitely walk it if you want. Ron This team likes to walk. We have a lot of people who like to walk. But it is also time for competitive runners. So we have a ten k and a five k and a professional time and company that's there as well.
Speaker 1: Okay, and that's this Sunday. What a beautiful way to start your day, taking a walk or a run along the beach and raising money for such an important cause. Superheroes of Hoope dot org is where you can get more information and register for the run or the walk. Lisa Millar, thank you so much. I hope you raise a ton of money.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. Have a great day.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four our newsroom. Two LAPD officers have been heard in a crash in LA's Harbor Gateway area. Both were taken to the hospital early yesterday, where they were treated for minor injuries. The LAPD says the officers were in a patrol vehicle that overturned when it collided with another car at South Figueroa Street and West Rosecrans Avenue. The team driver of the other car was arrested on suspicion of DUI. Daily ridership on metro buses and trains in La averaged a million people a day in September compared to a year earlier. CEO Stephanie Wiggins says is the first time ridership has hit that number since before the pandemic.
Speaker 8: This milestone is a tribute to all of our efforts over the past three years to recover ridership by making our system cleaner, safer, more comfortable and reliable and easier.
Speaker 1: For all our customers. Metro Buses took nearly twenty one million trips in September, with a six percent increase in ridership compared to last year. On the rail lines, there was a year over a year increase of ten percent in passengers. A federal judge has ruled that IOWA can continue challenging the validity of hundreds of ballots from potential non citizens. The ruling on Sunday was a defeat for critics who said the effort threatened the voting rights of people who have recently become US citizens. Germany's top diplomat has arrived in Ukraine for what appears to be a show of European support for Kiev ahead of the US presidential election. Germany is Ukraine's second largest weapons supplier after the US. Germany's foreign minister says her country stands firmly by Ukraine's side. Venom The Last Dance has injected itself into the top spot at the box office. In its second weekend of release, it took in over twenty six million dollars. The Wild Robot came in second. The horror movie Smile Too is in third, Conclave is fourth, and Tom Hanks and Robin Wright's new movie Here finished fifth, earning just over five million dollars in its debut weekend. This is KFI. I'm KOs t HD two Los Angeles, Orange County. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI AM six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app,