Speaker 1: Areas at ten and nine.
Speaker 2: First one to a lot of forecasts sunny for the most part, to become partly cloudy, and they say the chance of storm's best chance between one keym and atm APMs when the heat advisory ends. Today's high ninety three and yes, the heat X is over one hundred seventy four. Overnight low, muggy and partly cloudy. Tomorrow, pop up storms if possible ninety two for the high. Overnight again muggy in seventy four and a partly cloudy Friday.
Speaker 1: It's still hot ninety four for.
Speaker 2: The high and again a chance of afternoon isolated storms seventy five.
Speaker 1: Right now, typer traffic from the u SEE Health Triumphing Center.
Speaker 3: You see Health, you'll find comprehensive care that's so personal, what makes your best tomorrow possible. That's boundless care for better outcome. So expect more at uce health dot com. Eastbound two seventy five is shut down due to an accident just a book four wining traffics now being diverted off at Hamilton Avenue. There's a rex southbound seventy five just above to seventy five in Sharonville. They're on the right shoulder, Chuck Kingramont fifty five KRC, The Talk Station.
Speaker 2: Six thirty one, The fifty five KRC The Talk Station. Wait a minute, I thought crime was down. Welcome back to the fifty five KRC Morning show. FOP President Ken Kober. He is the leader of the union representing the s Insant Police Department.
Speaker 1: It's good to have you back on.
Speaker 4: Ken Thy Good morning, Brian, Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: I wish we had a better subject matter to talk about, like how crime is actually down, which is basically what the city council the mayor have been saving for saying for how long now? And oh look, wake up to a new day. Too many residents are becoming victims right now. Too many neighbors are concerned about the safety of the street, says Mayor Aftab purvol amidst the latest crime data which shows an upticking crime of nearly all types citywide when compared to last year, particularly in over the ride in downtown where four men coming out of Jeff Ruby's were beaten down by a gang of roving teams as recently as last Friday, Ken, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 4: Well, you know, summertimes here, it's warm out and criminals are being criminals is about as bluntly as I can put it.
Speaker 2: Well, let us take a look quickly at what the city is proposing by way of dealing with this. City officials announced it what they call our new initiatives, the Combat Crime, including a roving task force. I guess that involves thirty officers that are moved around in different areas wherever I suppose crime is reported. This is the problem, you know, the crime happens. Officers of course show up to try to catch the bad guy and deal with the aftermath. But you can't unring the bell of someone being attacked, shot, murdered, whatever the case may be. So yeah, roving police officers of course, lateral hires.
Speaker 1: You and I talked about that before.
Speaker 2: It's a way to get people on the street quickly as opposed to going through the whole training process with new recruits. We've got some new recruit classes. Also, drones, apparently the city of City since a police department now has drones. I don't know how a drone helps. I guess it helps with surveillance in a crime scene, but does that help stop crime?
Speaker 4: Now? That was kind of the takeaway that I got from it yesterday was most of what was discussed was about reaction, was about how to catch the bad guy after the crime's been committed.
Speaker 1: The drones are a.
Speaker 4: Very useful tool. They are especially if you have somebody that's fleeing, yeah, to be to be able to catch them. What I didn't hear was this is what we're going to do to be proactive to actually catch these bad guys. These are the policies or these are the procedures that we're going to change so officers are unhandcuffed so they can go do their jobs. That's just what I didn't hear yesterday.
Speaker 2: Well, I understand they're going to try to work with businesses people. I guess generally speaking, anyone who wants to hook up the police department with surveillance cameras, if you let the world and it's like almost like having an officer on the corner, I would suggest ken, you know, if everybody in the community knows that there are cameras activated and everybody's got one these days, and they are constantly monitoring the activity, ergo, if you're going to commit a crime, you're going to be caught on video doing it, and you're going to be more likely to be arrested that might act as a deterrence. I know it's very Orwellian in concept, but I at least they appreciate the concept of trying to get people to cooperate, working with the police and giving them access to their cameras.
Speaker 4: Sure, and you know, like I said, not always lost on the things that they said yesterday. You know, this this roving task force that they want to do. It is a group of highly motivated officers. It's yet to be seen how they're actually going to be deployed and whether it's going to make a difference. But the bottom line is, you know, these officers are going to be going into this and the last time that they did this, they were told listen out, do what you got to do, arrest these people. And then six months later it turned around. They're all sitting at the Citizens Complain Authority and they're sitting at internal and many of them faced a lot of administrative issues and many of those officers have not forgotten about that. So it's yet to be seen how this is actually going to work out and whether it's going to truly make a difference. I hope it does, because the citizens deserve it. They deserve to feel safe in their own homes. They deserve to feel safe when they come visit the city. But you know, when I watched this press conference yesterday, it's like, Wow, I've seen a lot of I've seen and I've heard a lot of these same words from politicians in the past, and it just seemed like it was just that it was just words being said.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the word parents came up. We'll talk about that a little bit more with FOOPI Resident Kankover.
Speaker 1: Hold them over.
Speaker 2: Got a word two dimension about Gato Heaven Catholic Cemetery. It's a beautiful place, absolutely gorgeous. So some meaningful time or place to walk around, reflect on life general speaking from beginning to end, which is important. Live in the moment, contemplate your point of existence, maybe engage in some prayer. It's a tranquil landscape area that is just again it's beautiful. It's an opportunity to reflect and engage in prayer and maybe kind of walk back from that ed we'll find ourselves from time to time. More than an area place, it's a sanctuary, So enjoy the prayer, healing and honoring legacy of life. At Gate of Heaven Cemetery in Montgomery. To learn more about the whole place and the opportunities that are there honoring life on sacred ground for a long, long time, just go to Gate of Heaven dot org to learn more. Gate of Heaven dot org.
Speaker 1: Fifty five car the talk station.
Speaker 2: Buck Station Right time is here with FOP President Ken Cober talking about crime in the city of Cincinnati and our anointed leaders promising to do something about it. Latest crime data they finally acknowledge yesterday the news conference the mayor, police Chief Threes Thiji and other leaders pointing out, yes, crime is in fact up, something they had been in the state of denial over something Ken and the active officers on duty are well aware of, and a huge uptick over the last month or so, including over the Rhine where there've already been five homicides this year. The police chief pointed to repeat offending. This is a quote from the enquiry reporting unsupervised teens and pre teens as a significant source of the increase in crime. Going back to the attack on those guys coming out of Jeff Ruby's the other day, there was a group of eight teenagers who beat the crap out of them, stole their cell phone, their car, keys and stuff. Fiji said it's not gang related, but let's face it, if you get a group of that many teens together, I'm gonna call it a gang. Whether it's organized, you know, like with a name, or just some folks getting together on social media promising to meet someplace and commit crime. That's a real problem ken And how does someone deal with it?
Speaker 1: She says.
Speaker 2: City leaders calling for parents to be held accountable, Well, there's no law on the blood that can hold a parent accountable for what a teenager does.
Speaker 4: Now, you know, there's there are certain things that could be done. I know they said they're going to look and you know at the law department. The city can create their own municipal codes.
Speaker 1: They did it.
Speaker 4: Years ago, you know, in the early two thousands when they were having issues with marijuana and they created a sincea municipal code that said possession of marijuana was a misdemeanor the fourth degree, where the state said it was a minor misdemeanor. They can make it more strict so they can do those things. They can come up with law. I don't think it's going to be something's going to happen overnight, you know. But I've only been beating this drum since early twenty twenty four about how out of control these kids are, and it just continues. So I mean, none of this, none of this is a surprise.
Speaker 1: No, it isn't.
Speaker 2: And obviously the parents are at the heart of solving the problem. And you can, you know, create all the social programs and put a pile of money together and promise that it's going to solve the problem. But unless you have an engaged parent who cares about where their children are and how they're and behave and hold them accounta well. I read a story this morning. Parents figured out that their son was the one responsible for running around town and committing break ins and of people's homes and cars. They brought them into the police and turned them in. We need more people like that as parents, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Without a doubt.
Speaker 4: I mean, how do you not know where your kids are?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: To me, it's just I don't know, it doesn't make sense. I don't know if these are parents that had these kids and didn't want them, or if the parents are just too busy, you know, committing their own crimes. I don't understand how you don't know where your children are.
Speaker 2: Well, how about this, I after have purvol previously announced additional programs as a way to combat youth crime. They announced earlier this year they're going to expand youth events like skating on the riverfront, open pools, and late night activities at rec centers to curb violence. That just sounds to me like an opportunity for all these young punks who otherwise would be criminals to get together in the same place and start fighting amongst themselves. I don't know, it's just I'm skeptical and jaded and cynical over these programs actually having an impact. Your your your comments and thoughts again.
Speaker 4: Well, I got I got two thoughts about that. Number one is the police officers have felt the same way. That's why when they've tried to get them, you know, they posted over time, you know, to staff these events for officers, and.
Speaker 1: They don't want anything to do with it.
Speaker 4: The other part of that is the kids that are actually going to show up to that stuff are most likely the youth that are not really at risk anyway, so waiting for that. So, I mean, that's so, I mean, while I understand it, a lot of this is just let's let's just try something and see if it works. And the end result is, and I was dealing with our youth services unit this this week, is they're being told, listen, if you guys don't sign up for this overtime, then we're just going to change your off days, or we're going to cancel your off days. We're going to force you to work it.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 4: So they create these events on Friday and Saturday nights and then they expect the police to work it when we're already short, we're already overworked, and they're going, ah, we'll just pile stuff on for every Friday and Saturday night all summer and go, hey, well the police will just go work it. Well, believe it or not, when the police actually get a Friday or Saturday night off, they would rather spend it with their family.
Speaker 1: Amen, they go spend it with Trump.
Speaker 2: Isn't that a really important point in terms of you know, recruiting and being understaffed and all that. I mean, everydy fact we're going to be you're making a life choice in a career choice when you started going to law enforcement. If it's advertised in advance, you're gonna be working constant overtime and you're never gonna get a Friday or Saturday night night off.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go a solid no on that as an option for my career. Anyway.
Speaker 2: I do appreciate your point, though, you know, I can see the group of teens you want to go skating on the riverfront. No, let's go rob guys coming out of Jeff Ruby's.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean, if those are your options, obviously the skating is not going to be a draw for you. Here's the other element I want to ask because you mentioned the citizen complain authority and I kind of thought about the follow up. If you're out there arresting people, and I understand this is a morale problem with the police officers because the revolving door of justice. We got all these liberal and I don't know if it's the prosecutor's department or it's the judges or a combination of both, but they're not interested in meeting a punishment on these young people. It's like, oh my god, they're gonna be scarred for life. We can't, you know, convict them for anything, because it's gonna be a up light on their record. They're never gonna be able to get a job. But that's that's the key element to the criminal justice system deterrence.
Speaker 1: You've got to.
Speaker 2: Punish in order to bring about a reality that, yeah, I'm gonna be thrown in that category, I better not commit the crime or I'm gonna end up with a record. Isn't that the point?
Speaker 1: Ken?
Speaker 4: Sure it is. And actually your chief Siege you talked about yesterday the thirteen year old in the West End that was adjudicated delinquent for shooting someone in northern Kentucky in November. Jeez. And then all of a sudden, now a week ago, the same thirteen year old is running around the West End with a semiotic pistol. What they say round Drum magazine. Oh my god, I don't think that deterrent worked. That this is where we're at. The kid never should have been out, and that's that is an absolute court system blunder. The kid was actually sentenced to be held until he was eighteen. Yeah, somehow was released in May.
Speaker 2: That's why we have juvenile detentions facilities, most notably for the ones running around with firearms committing back to violence. I mean, who else should be in there? Ken is there currently a curfew in effect for minors.
Speaker 4: Well, there is, but it's and that's one of the things that they didn't talk about. It's not enforced. Twenty years ago, all summer we would do curfew sweeps or we would open up rec centers and if you were out on the street as a juvenile, you were going to be detained. We put you in the back of a prisoner van, take you to a rec center. You would be processed. They had officers there doing all the processing. Would call the parentsy go come pick up your child, or they're going to twenty twenty. That law's already there, it's just not being utilized. It's just not you do arrest of juvenile for curfew and try to take them up to twenty twenty. Right now you're the juvenile detention center. They won't even take them.
Speaker 2: Well, that's a breakdown in this system. I mean an obvious one state the obvious. But that that's what's the point of having a law on the book One't that probably be more effective than anything else preventing these gangs of roving teenagers from assaulting and battering people. I don't understand is there a directive within the police department from the top authorities to not utilize or is it enforce that curfew or is it just simple practical effect that it's not worth the police officer's time because of exactly what you said, it's not going to result in anything happening.
Speaker 4: Well, it's not effective when you have two officers you'll work in downtown on a Friday or Saturday night and then you know, you have a juvenile that you call twenty twenty and they go, we're not taking them, So why are you going to drive up to Mount Auburn to take this kit up there for them to refuse them? And now they're offered for an hour wait, yeah, parent to come while everything else.
Speaker 1: Is going on downtown. That's not a pretty picture. Can cover it? Really isn't well.
Speaker 2: I think obviously they've addressed the issue, or at least they purportedly addressed the issue of the understaffing. Three new classes of at least one hundred and fifty of officers. They're trying to do lateral hires and good luck to them on that. Do you know how successful or can you predict how successful they're going to be with getting laterals in given the state of affairs in the city on the police department generally.
Speaker 4: I'll be honest, I don't think they'll have any trouble fill in a class. There's a lot of interest. You know, a lot of officers that are already experienced come here because we do have pretty decent pay, we do benefits, So I think I don't there's been a lot of interest. I don't think we're going to have any trouble of trouble filling the class.
Speaker 2: Well, we can leave on that positive note. Ken Let's I'm very very happy to hear that. Again, I view things from someone who is not a member of law enforcement perspective, and it just doesn't sound good in downtown Cincinnati. But I'm glad to hear that laterals won't be a problem. Can cover FLP. President, Thank you so much for your time today. I appreciate your insight and your thoughts and your willingness to share your time with my listeners and me here on the fifty five KRC Morning Show. And I feel pretty confident we'll talk again, hopefully with more good news.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 4: Sure, thanks for having me, Brian.
Speaker 1: Happy to do it.
Speaker 2: Six point fifty right now, fifty five KR S detalk station also happy to recommend USA installation. Is it hot enough out there for you? If you're feeling it in your home? You know USA Premium Foam. I've been mentioning for years and years and years, and USA has been insulating homes for decades, and it works. The product's guaranteed to save you money and improve your comfort. You'll notice the comfort improvement on day one, especially in this ridiculous heat out there, if you're under or uninsulated, A phenomenal improvement in your comfort in your home. And then when you get the energy build keeping your temperature at this all things being equal to the temperature or the price of the HVAC, A bill will be a lot lower, probably enough to save you the installation cost, which is only ninety nine dollars a month, and there's no interest on that ninety nine dollars a month interest free, So maybe don't go to dinner one night out of the month you pay for the insulation, and then maybe even at the lower energy bill will cover the cost too, So there you got extra savings, and once it's paid off, you continue to enjoy the savings. A guaranteed return on investment market doesn't always work out that way three.
Speaker 1: Eight, one, three, six two six.
Speaker 2: For the free inspection and free quote to find out whether you're under insulated or uninsulated five one three, three eight one foam learn more online, USA insulation dot net, fifty five KRC dot com