Speaker 1: This is Gary and Shannon and you're listening to KFI AM six forty, the Gary and Shannon Show on demand on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: But later this hour, I got a ration of crap for not having a skincare routine.
Speaker 3: And does your husband have a skincare routine?
Speaker 1: I think you guys have the same skincare roots bar soap in a shower, not even a bar of soap in his case.
Speaker 3: Oh he uses body wash.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we have this, you know, my gosh, But I mean, really, he just kind of jumps in the shower.
Speaker 3: Does he wear socks?
Speaker 1: He loses one sock that he's wearing somehow all over the house.
Speaker 4: I find one sock. It drives me nuts.
Speaker 3: But he wears them.
Speaker 4: He wears them, but he ends up with just one on his feet.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'll allow that. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he also makes fun of me because I wear way too much skincare goo as he calls it, and he hates when the goo gets on his hands or like if I kiss him on the cheek, he goes, oh there's goo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I mean she uses gooz but I don't. I don't have a problem with it.
Speaker 4: It's a nice husband.
Speaker 2: Kids, kids are now the biggest skincare customers, and I don't what are we doing to our children?
Speaker 4: When you say kids, what do you what age.
Speaker 3: You're gonna have, You're gonna have to listen.
Speaker 4: I'm on the edge of my seats.
Speaker 2: Sports Chargers are in Denville, Denver, to take on the Broncos on Sunday. Rams have a bye this weekend. Number four Penn State comes to the Coliseum. They'll take on USC. I think kickoff is about twelve thirty, and then Minnesota is at the Rose Bowl to take on UCL late tomorrow night. In baseball, the Yankees clinched last night. They'll face the winner at tomorrow's Guardians Tigers Game five. Yoshinobu Yamamoto was going to start tonight for the Dodgers. They face elimination in this winner take all Game five against the Padres at Dodger Stadium. Should be what they say electric. The winner is going to play the Mets in the NLCS. And you can always always download that Prize Picks app and use the cokfi to get fifty dollars instantly after you play your first five dollars lineup.
Speaker 3: So go to Prize Picks download the app.
Speaker 4: You know what they say at USC.
Speaker 3: They tell people to fight on, fight on?
Speaker 4: You got it?
Speaker 3: Do you? Are you a football?
Speaker 4: You know it's funny. I don't even care. No, I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: I love to go to games in person, and like you talked about, the energy will be electric tonight for the Dodgers. I love to watch the games in person, and that applies also for baseball games. I think it's just way more exciting to see than on the TV.
Speaker 3: That's a good point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean you feel it.
Speaker 3: It's time for swamp watch. Swamp is horrible, so government doesn't work.
Speaker 2: Good man, gonna make this like a reality TV show.
Speaker 3: Corn was a bad boos, always a pleasure to be anywhere from Washington, DC.
Speaker 2: Hey, Joey, a town clearly built on a swamp and in so many ways.
Speaker 3: Still a swamp. I have a bunch of malarkey. What he said drained the swamp. I said, Oh, that's so he'll keep happen.
Speaker 5: Man.
Speaker 2: You know the thing, so former President Trump is going to be an Aurora, Colorado. Early early this morning, people were lined up for this rally. Immigration is going to be the focus. Of course, he has said that Aurora is a war zone, that it's been overrun by Venezuelan gang members. Local officials have said that's not the case. Yeah, they have a gang problem, yes some of them are Venezuelan, but that this is not as bad. It's bad, it's not as bad as he says it is. Again, that's according to the mayor of Aurora, Colorado.
Speaker 1: And it's actually created because I told you how I went on the ground there and spoke to the city and spoke to residents, and one of the things the city said is it's actually created a lot of problems for them to have these rumors swirling around that they've been overtaken by gangs, and it undermines the efforts they've to keep people safe. You know, they started a task for us with the police department. They've really done a lot, and they've arrested the Venezuelan gang members that they've identified thus far, almost all of them. They've identified ten.
Speaker 2: The mayor of Aurora a guy named Mike Kaufman, who is a Republican. He initially repeated the claims that gangs were taking over buildings and entire apartment complexes.
Speaker 3: He reversed course.
Speaker 2: He actually said the concerns have been grossly exaggerated. He welcomed the former president to tour the city if he wants to.
Speaker 3: But there are other people in that town of Aurora.
Speaker 2: They say they're worried about Trump supporters showing up to the apartment complexes and threatening them. Says we've seen people drive up in cars, wave guns in the air and saying things like they want to kill all the Venezuelans. Two of the apartment buildings that are at the center of this controversy, there are broken windows, there's a bunch of litter. One building had portable police camera stations that residents said had been installed just this week. One three year old guy works as a landscaper lives in one of those buildings, said that all Venezuelans are being blamed for the actions of just a few, whether or not they belonged to that Tres Traces.
Speaker 1: Is it the gang? Yeah, that araguas a part of Venezuela, and Train is train. But you know, so one of the buildings I went to, and I went to two of them, one had been fenced off, boarded up, and everyone was now out of that one building. That was where the resident told me he had had homicides, and you know, like two people were murdered right outside his house, and crazy guy was tased in his front lawn and all these things. The other building I went to was almost uninhabitable. It was crazy to me that people still lived in there because, as you just mentioned, windows were shattered. I read a little bit about the history these buildings that all of them just like slum lords, where they had had a very long history of massive problems rodent infestations, sewage spills, just.
Speaker 4: Uninhabitable living conditions.
Speaker 1: And so now on top of that they have all these other all this political firestorm around them, and it must be very difficult if you're just a resident trying to live your life there.
Speaker 2: Former President Trump, no loss for words when it comes to ways to make people angry. Laid out his vision for the auto industry at the Detroit Economic Club, but then said that the United States will become Detroit.
Speaker 3: If Kamala Harris is a lest.
Speaker 5: I don't think anything that we're talking about today is high on her list. The whole country is going to be like you want to know the truth, It'll be like Detroit. Our whole country will end up being like Detroit. If she's your president, you're gonna have a mess in your hands. She destroyed San Francisco, she destroyed, along with Newscomb, California, and.
Speaker 3: We're not going to let her do that to this country. We're not going to let it happen. I can turn it into the beautiful city that I'm standing in.
Speaker 1: I would be so sad if I were a resident of Detroit.
Speaker 3: Oh, you wouldn't.
Speaker 4: No, that would be horrible.
Speaker 1: You know what, if you're in there, you're in the audience, you look up to the former president, You're so happy he's in your city, and then.
Speaker 2: He just turns around and takes a crap on yourself's on it. Yeah, we're talking about former President Trump. His speech in Aurora. The rally itself is expected to begin pretty close to the top of the hour. Former President Obama was in Pennsylvania. Hasn't been as active on the campaign trail as we may have expected him to at some point, but he said, among other things, that.
Speaker 3: The wherell where to go? Let me find this one.
Speaker 1: Do you think he hasn't been as active? I feel like I've seen a lot of headlines around him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I haven't seen very many.
Speaker 6: Donald Trump is a seventy eight year old billionaire who has not stopped whining about his problems since he wrote.
Speaker 3: Down his Golden Escalator nine years ago.
Speaker 2: But the headlines this time are around what he said in what he said to some voters.
Speaker 6: Trump is a seventy eight year old billionaire.
Speaker 3: How about this one. This is what he was talking to a group of voters.
Speaker 6: When you had a choice, that is this clean? And on one hand, you have somebody who grew up like you, knows you went to college. Would you understands the struggles and pain and joy that comes from those experiences.
Speaker 3: He work harder and do more and overcome.
Speaker 6: And achieves the second highest office. Anoying.
Speaker 2: This is his version of what Joe Biden told Charlemagne the God four years ago when he said, if you vote for Trump, you ain't black.
Speaker 3: This is his version of it. Why is that? Okay?
Speaker 1: Well, I might have a different take on this. I also just want to acknowledge, my goodness, those pregnant pauses and President obampas.
Speaker 4: Addressed to those people. I was just hanging on the edge of my seat.
Speaker 1: So he raises a fair point in a sense, because he goes on to say it seems people are coming up, some men in particular, coming up with excuses, and he said, part of it makes him think they're not feeling the idea of having a woman as president. And I know this is an uncomfortable conversation to have. And many may say, whatever, We're ready for a woman president if it's the right person. But in some cases, the numbers, the polling, the questions that have been asked indicate otherwise. And I actually saw this report recently where a reporter was sitting down with a number of different kids from all backgrounds, and many of them said they did not want Kamala Harris as president because they don't want a woman president. And you know, kids are the ultimate honesty barometer, right, And so it makes me think that maybe this is more entrenched just.
Speaker 4: Into our DNA than we think.
Speaker 1: And when it's the first time for something, there will be some resistance just because people resist change, whether or not, you know. So it's a question that should be asked, is all I'm saying.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, he describes her as being similar to the guys that he's talking to in the in Pennsylvania, and you know that she grew up like they did, that she went to school with them, et cetera. I mean, she was at Varnier College in Montreal, she went to Howard University. These are not necessarily the same path. She was not on the same path necessarily that he's selling to these guys and I and it's it's.
Speaker 3: It's just a it's a weird thing.
Speaker 4: I hate the idea of painting politics, of course.
Speaker 2: But my point is if if he would be upset for Donald Trump painting a certain population with a broad brush or making us having an expectation about a certain population based on some immutable characteristic, then then why is it okay for him to do it? And that's the frustrating part about it. I'm not naive about it. I understand why he's doing and I understand the context in which he's saying it. But it echoed to me what Joe Biden was saying. Granted it comes from a different delivery source. I mean, Joe Biden and you and I. You know Whitey mcmahonay's kind of thing, but it's it does it had that same feel to it, and it's unfortunate. Just allow people to vote the way they want to vote, you know, it's not you can convince them. You can guilt them, you can tell them, you know, vote for stronger culture or over pology, whatever however you.
Speaker 3: Want to do it.
Speaker 2: But don't just assume that you're gonna you are instructed to vote some way because of whatever characteristics you have.
Speaker 1: If you were Obama, how would you have encouraged people to vote for Kamala Harris.
Speaker 2: I would have said she's a better candidate, and then I would have given her a list. I would have given a list of arguments to prove my point. I mean, that's that's what that's how it should happen. Not you. You're not an authentic insert name of characteristic here unless you vote for insert name of candidate.
Speaker 4: That is a fair point. You have a good point.
Speaker 3: Fair point, ye point.
Speaker 4: On my head, don't always agree with you, but on that one.
Speaker 2: Donald Trump is spending time in Colorado, away from the battleground states. He's there in Aurora, Colorado, with a rally that's supposed to start here in just a few minutes. A solid majority of Hispanic women say they have a positive opinion a vice president Harris in a negative view of former president and Trump, but Hispanic men apparently divided on both candidates. Hispanic men also more likely than Hispanic women to say that Trump represents their views on some key issues. We've talked before about the difference when it comes to gender difference and voting, so that's highlighted in specific demographic groups.
Speaker 7: Also, I personally don't believe that President Obama was saying anything about a race or anything. He was just saying, you, as in the general public, she is like us, She is like you. I think that's all he was saying. And you're turning this into some racial thing, which is weird.
Speaker 4: I hope can we mentioned anything about race gender?
Speaker 2: I will say this. He used the term brought the brothers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he said.
Speaker 2: I also want to say that that seems to be more pronounced with the brothers, right, what does that mean?
Speaker 1: He did specifically talk about black men. That is not a for dispute. And then he also said explicitly quote part of it makes me think that, well, you just aren't feeling the idea of having a woman as president, and you're coming up with other alternatives and reasons for that, and like you said, addressed the brothers. So I mean, he did talk about gender, and he did incorporate race, but he did. He didn't incorporate her race as a reason.
Speaker 3: No, he was talking specifically about them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I don't know.
Speaker 2: I didn't inject it in there. That's those were his words, not mine. I mean mine because I said, well, do you know.
Speaker 8: What I mean?
Speaker 9: Hey Gary and not Shannon. Hi, Christina, you're knocking it out of the park girl anyway, just calling in to say happy early anniversary to the Gary and Shannon Show. Hope we're going to celebrate on Monday, since you now, Shannon felt it more important to be with her friends.
Speaker 4: Apparently she doesn't love us.
Speaker 9: Anyway.
Speaker 4: Have a great weekend, you guys.
Speaker 3: Yeah, tomorrow is the ninth anniversary of the show.
Speaker 4: Happy anniversary? Did you did? I know?
Speaker 3: Did you get me something?
Speaker 4: You know what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna go down the hallway to that disgusting snack drawer. You guys have disgusting What are you talking about? I'm just kidding. I mean, unless you're into ramen, maybe you like it.
Speaker 2: If you like high sodium counts in your way to go a good morning, you too, Happy Friday.
Speaker 8: I just want to say, it's like a breath of fresh air. Having Christina on the show. Someone who is a real journalist and isn't so one sided I'm biased in her uh what what she has to say? Even if she is registered whatever she is, she still see both sides of the story.
Speaker 3: And I love that.
Speaker 8: I appreciate it. It's what we need more of in our country. It's part of the problem the people that aren't that way. So thank you, Christina. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 3: He said, are registered whatever she is?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, Well I really don't subscribe to either party. I think they've both left their people. It's about you know. But anyway, first, thank you to him. And secondly, was that kind of a backhanded compliment. Well, you know, it was like, yeah, okay, I take it. You do really well with that, you know.
Speaker 3: I don't. I just hide it. I just hide it.
Speaker 2: Well, there may be a psychological reason I'm fascinated by stories like this, psychological reason why some people aren't just wrong in an argument. They're confidently wrong. I mean, they're confident about how correct they are, but they're completely wrong. According to a study published this week in the journal Plos One, it comes down to believing you have all the information you need to form an opinion even when you don't. And I think this boils down to the old adage of you don't know what you don't know, right.
Speaker 1: And that's one quality I think people lack curiosity and they think, oh, I have sufficient information. They look at the headline, they make a flash judgment, and voila. They think they know everything. But it was interesting in this because what they did in this study, so five hundred people read a version of the story that was in favor of this particular issue and then had one neutral point, and then another five hundred people read a story about the same issue that was against it and had the same one neutral point, And ultimately the results showed that the majority of people were likely to agree with the argument in favor or against, depending on which they read. Which, you know, it's no surprise when you think of these echo chambers were living in how people watch Fox if they're more right, CNN if they're more left, and then they kind of just regurgitate what they see.
Speaker 2: If you if you have a friend who is completely opposite you politically and you're both active on social media, take a moment and scroll through their feed and see what they see compared to what you see, and it's very it is should be very eye opening because the echo chamber thing, when you're in it, you don't know you're in it. And social media, and I mean everything from YouTube to Twitter to Facebook, they all work that way.
Speaker 3: You don't know where the walls are in your room.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you So that means you assume, well, everybody thinks the way I do, everybody feels the way I do, because everybody on Twitter believes me, or everybody on Twitter agrees with me.
Speaker 3: That that's so not the case.
Speaker 1: That means you are failing at life if you don't see anything in your feed that you disagree with.
Speaker 4: Honestly, I mean.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know life feeling failing at the social media life.
Speaker 2: Because then you go you go out in the real world and you're you're amazed that someone is what pro Palestinian, or you're amazed that someone wants to vote for the other candidate.
Speaker 3: I can't believe it.
Speaker 2: In my town, you're so strange, you don't fit here. We're so I mean, there's nothing. There is something to be said that we're so divided. That's not the right word. We're evenly divided. There's so much of any issue we can be very evenly divided on but we assume that the numbers are always in our favor. And that I mean that I said the term before. I don't think I'm the one who came up with it, but the audacity of confidence you you don't even know what the other side looks like.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's interesting because as our population grows, even if you're one percent of the population, there's millions, you know, like, there's there's an insane number of people who will agree with you on.
Speaker 4: That crazy issue.
Speaker 1: So actually I did a story on QAnon, for example, that far right wing conspiracy theory that we can go down a rabbit hole with that. But because those people are looking at those things online, the algorithm serves them more of it, so then it's all they're surrounded by and they're fed more and more and it kind of reinforces their own beliefs. That's happening to all of us on different levels. There's this poet that said something that I always think is so interesting that he says something like I don't know who discovered or I don't know how discovered water, but it wasn't a fish, meaning you don't recognize the environment in which you exist, right, yeah, to your.
Speaker 3: Point, right now, you don't know where the walls are.
Speaker 4: I totally butchered that poet's work, and I apologize.
Speaker 2: At least you didn't claim credit for it. That would have been even worse.
Speaker 1: So we've been talking, and I have a six month old daughter named Alice Sandra, who is you know, a twinkle in my eye or however.
Speaker 4: That saying goes.
Speaker 1: And I think at two months old, she may have said her first word. And so we have the audio. Gary laughed in my face when I told him, I think, hold on, I wasn't in your face.
Speaker 4: Oh he wasn't in my face. He was about three feet away, but he did laugh.
Speaker 1: And we would love to hear your opinion too when you hear this, If you do, in fact think it was her first word, are you going to play it now?
Speaker 3: Well, let me plage just I think I'm going to play just her part of it first.
Speaker 4: Hey, well no, no, oh, you gotta play the whole all.
Speaker 3: Right, here's here's the whole thing. It's nine seconds long.
Speaker 1: Oh oh my gosh, you really just come on?
Speaker 4: And then she goes playing get high. Yep, you don't think so well, I'm not saying it, she's not. Are you trying to shatter my dreams here? No, I'm just kidding. My feelings won't be hurt either way.
Speaker 2: But no, no, Yes, I saw your face when I laughed at you this morning.
Speaker 4: I deflated like you just you know, ripped my heart out.
Speaker 3: I had kicked you in the shins.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, well you kind of did, so Colin, let us know what you think. How can people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she's two months old when she did that. Yeah, okay, so it's not just her exhaling.
Speaker 1: I mean it doesn't know and it doesn't necessarily she understood the meaning. But I think that you know, she was mimicking at minimum what she heard clearly. Of course, your face right now is disastrous. Okay, you guys, you guys be the judges.
Speaker 4: Call us. Yeah, how did people? Let us know?
Speaker 3: You can let us know on the talkback feature on the iHeart app.
Speaker 2: Just the hit that little button, the little microphone button, and it'll it'll send us a message. Earlier this week, I got in trouble. I remember how we even got onto the subject about showers and cleansing and et cetera.
Speaker 4: Well, last week I was sorry. Last week.
Speaker 1: I was listening to you and Shannon and you were talking about the number of toilet paper rolls you used, So, okay, I stand corrected.
Speaker 4: So maybe it was, you know, the sequel to that.
Speaker 2: Well, it was about whether or not I have any sort of skincare regimen, because dudes, uh, there's a new I shouldn't say now, there's a growing market for men's skincare products.
Speaker 3: It's not.
Speaker 2: It's not just the old can of barbisol shaving cream anymore. Now it's you know, all kinds of different flavors and scents, and there's I mean, for every Yankee candle shop flavor scent, there's a new shaving cream, Bourbon, vanilla, something something for whatever for face. And then after it used to be whatever after shave you had is now a new I don't know, there's new flavor. Well, I keep saying flavors, new scents and yeah, textures whatever.
Speaker 1: Well you saying flavors is probably why that's gonna all fail, because gods don't know.
Speaker 2: What they're not how to say that, but that there is a market out there for dudes and just regular skincare cream skin cream apparently. So, But this story is about kids who are now getting into the skincare regimen. Naya White has it twice a day beauty regimen. I'm sorry she has.
Speaker 4: What grade is she in?
Speaker 3: She's in? Was that fourth grade?
Speaker 4: Fourth grade?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: So she talks about her shopping trips to Sephora and things like that, and what a fourth grader should be doing to maintain their incredible, soft, supple skin.
Speaker 4: I see it in the history books now when Rome fell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, the day China finally decided to invade. We're just going to roll over like big fat, lazy blobs of nothingness because we have completely lost any edge. If you, if you're teaching your kid at the age of ten, that this is the way they need to spend their days. That's an unfortunate child. That life going forward is going to get worse.
Speaker 1: Are we sounding like those old people who say, well, when I was a.
Speaker 3: Kid, maybe, But I'm okay.
Speaker 4: There's truth to it in this. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean there's so many other things I would hope a ten year old could be exposed to, like I don't know, different cultures or howether, I don't know, taking a field trip somewhere outside of nature, well anything, but this.
Speaker 3: This goes beyond.
Speaker 2: You know, when I was a when I was when I was a boy, like I'm an armadillo now. When I was a boy, I had one of those fake shaving kits. It was a little plastic shaving kit, and it was it came with a silly little shaving cream, the old kind of shaving cream where you have to mix it with a little brush and then apply it. Oh, and it was a plastic razor, so it didn't and it was made with a toy and there's no sharp edge on it at all.
Speaker 3: But you would still put that little stuff on your face.
Speaker 2: And that's very different because I'm not actually doing anything that's going to hurt me or set me up for failure because I'm probably going to shave later in life anyway. Granted I don't shave all the time because I don't grow hair like an ape.
Speaker 4: No, Okay, you're too much.
Speaker 3: Well I'm just saying too much.
Speaker 2: But in this case, they're hooking these kids on these products now so that they will buy them continuously for the remainder of their life. Marketing wise, it's genius.
Speaker 1: Right, and this intertwines with so many other things. When you think of I think we talked about it a little bit yesterday, but our crappy food system and how they make these things. A lot of people don't realize that our food system. Back in the nineties, when the cigarettes were starting to go downhill, people realized, oh, this is actually really bad for your health. Apparently those same scientists, all the cigarette companies bought the major food companies, and those same scientists were tasked figuring out how to make our food as addictive as possible.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and cheap as possible.
Speaker 1: So you have kids now, half of whom have chronic health conditions in America, which is an insane number. Please look it up in fact check me, but it is true, and they're addicted to these foods from the time they're young, and then they get hooked on pharmaceuticals to treat the disease caused by the food, and then they have lifelong customers, just like what you're talking about here.
Speaker 2: It's frustrating because people think it's generally they wave things off like this. They look at these trends and they go, no, they're just kids being doing kid stuff, without the realization of, yeah, but you're allowing your kid to be trained to forever use a product that they probably don't when they're ten. They don't need that when you're forty and you're trying to cling on to whatever you looked like when you were eighteen. Yeah, I understand. I understand why you want your retinol on your higher luronic acid.
Speaker 3: I get it. But this is not the time to do that. This is not the time to hook the kids on them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just enjoy life and I don't know, it's placing them priorities on the wrong things.
Speaker 4: That makes everything better.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to The Gary and Shannon Show. You can always hear us live on KFI AM six forty nine am to one pm every Monday through Friday, and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio ap