Speaker 1: Hi, this is Ashernat Charlie Duke, tenth man to walk on the Moon on Apollo sixteen in April nineteen seventy two. And I'll be coming to Space Fast nine in July and Tucson at the Star Pass Marriott Resort. And it's a great thrill of being on and listening to The Doctor Sky Show.
Speaker 2: And welcome back, ladies and gentlemen, to the exciting show that you tell us you like so much, The Doctor Sky Show with great guests from the realms of astronomy, space, aviation, and weather and celebrity guests in the mix. Let me be the first to thank our producer extraordinaire Richard Dugan. Radio station AZSB that's AM twelve ninety in Santa Barbara, California, and a big shout out to our flagship radio station that is KTR News ninety two point three FM out of Phoenix. We of course welcome all the stations around the nation, you know, ladies, and it's a rare treat to talk to a man who's actually walked on the moon. This an amazing story about to unfold today on The Doctor Sky Show. And also we're going to be promoting the upcoming space Fest nine gathering that'll happen in Tucson, Arizona, at the beautiful Marriotte Star Pass Resort from July the fifth to the eighth. On the line today and it's a tribut real tribute and a privilege, in an honor. They have the tenth man to walk on the surface of the Moon, Charles Duke, the Lunar module pilot of Apollo sixteen. And also, ladies and gentlemen, the Capcom Neil Armstrong himself had suggested that he be the Capcom for Apollo eleven. Charles Duke, mister Duke, Welcome to the Doctor Sky Show. Thank you, sir, Thank you very much. It's really going to be with you today. Well, it's the highest of honors. I kind of shake here when I talk, because I've had the privilege and honor, sir, of meeting five of no, actually seven of the moonwalkers. And as you know, sir, today only about four astronauts that walk the Moon still walking the Earth. But you were the youngest is that correct? In the Antallo entire program of moonwalkers to the surface of the Moon in the Apollo program, Is that correct?
Speaker 1: I was the youngest about four months, and since nobody else has been there, I'm still the youngest.
Speaker 2: Well that's a great honor, sir. And you know, as a young boy, and I'm sure like a lot of young men and women, I followed every one of these launches on my parents black and white television when we lived back in New York. But let's start all over again and go and reminisce about the first, of course, of the Great Moon landings, when Neil and Buzz landed on the surface of Meritranquility tatas the the Sea of Tranquility. I should say, as you know so well, you were the capcom for that particular mission. And is it correct that Neil actually wanted you to be the voice on the other end of that line, if that we can say it that way, is that correct?
Speaker 1: I was on, Yeah, I was on the same job, did the same job on Apollo ten, and it was so it was decided that the whole crew, gene Clance's crew or flight would roll over and do the same thing on Apollo eleven. And normally the capcom changes they usually have somebody from the support crew for that. But Neil said, well, why don't you do that? And just continue on. So since we train for the almost the same mission on Apollo ten except for the landing, the whole crew was ready to go, and so I was fortunate to maintain stay on that gene Clance's flight and participated in that first landing, which was historic and a great thrill for me and humbling experience.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I know those words from Neil Armstrong, of course resonate in everybody's mind throughout history about being the first on the moon. Your words, and I want to repeat them and hopefully I get them right. And I quote Roger Tranquilberte you we copy you. On the ground. You got a bunch of guys about the turn. We're breathing again. Thanks a lot, And I remember that like it was yesterday, sir. And what we're talking forty seven is years or for actually longer than that. So we're coming up wat to the fiftieth anniversary very soon for the Apollo eleven landing.
Speaker 1: It's amazing right well, this next month forty ninth, so the fiftieth will be next year. A lot of celebrations game planned, and we're just excited to still have two of the cruise del I've buzz Aldrin and Mike Collins.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, amazing story in history. Will concentrate for the rest of this particular interview, sir, if you don't mind, of course, on the epic journey of Apollo sixteen, Casper and Orian on top of that massive, most impressive rock at the Saturn five. I was a young boys, sir, and I was brought down to Florida to witness what then would have been the Apollo thirteen launch, and unfortunately we were there not at the right time. We saw that massive stack sitting on the launch pad on top of that call. We actually watched it move out to the launch pad. But sir, you're one of the few people in history that can tell us, you and your other two crewmates, what's it like when they fires and engines of those f one engines light off. What's that feeling like as you're moving out of Earth's gravity?
Speaker 1: The vibration, I thought is extreme on Saturn five. List off. The five engines are producing over seven and a half million pounds of thrust and it's a three hundred and sixty three feet long aluminum structure, if you will, so as the engines move at the bottom to guide the trajectory. That vibration is transmitted up to the spacecraft, and it's a very significant vibration from side to side, it's from shoulder to shoulder, and it was really got my attention. You know, it's a first and only time I've ridden a Saturn in I was suspect. I said, is it really supposed to shake this hard? But John was very cool, we'll go, and the mission control said we're going, so I said, well, maybe this is the way it's supposed to be. But it was really really vibrating, and my heart I was a little excited, to say the least. And I found out later from the flight surgeon it lifted off. My heartbeat was like one hundred and forty four, so I was really keyed up. But there was no noise, you know. The only noise you could hear was the oxygen through your helmet and all the communications. The engine noise was almost insignificant, which was strange because if you're standing away from the vehicle, the noise and the vibration is intense. Anyway, it was a great ride. First stage. We've burned up four and a half million pounds of fuel in two minutes and forty one seconds.
Speaker 2: Wow, that's incredible. And you know, folks, if you're listening to this, and we know you are here and around the nation, our very special guest today, we're really privileged and honored to have Charles Duke, the tenth man to walk on the Moon, the youngest of the moonwalkers to ever go to the surface of the Moon. And again, ladies and gentlemen, only twelve humans have ever set foot on the surface of the Moon. We'll be talking about that and so much more with our very special guest. You know, mister Duke, I remember watching the Apollo twelve launch, and I know that President Nixon witnessed that there in kind of a stormy environment, rain and thunder and maybe lightning. And what I'm understood is that Alban of course and the other crew members on Apollo twelve, is it actually true that they got struck by lightning or lightning actually shut down a good part of their communications and electronics as they're going up into space.
Speaker 1: Well, it got struck by light and I think I remember a comment from Pete Conrad that said, hey, maybe we got hit by lightning, or somebody said something. It was just a suspicion, but nobody. The whole Apollo space graph electrical system went down, knocked off all the fuel cells. You know, all of the data was dropped off and it hadn't have been for uh uh And well, to me, Pete Conrad was just the coolest commander not to abort, throw the abort switch and or handle and uh and ejected them off off that rocket. But he held his cool. And finally they had a data switch. They put the auxiliary se s to AUS and they did that and the data started coming back to mission control. And then they figured out, well, we didn't hit my lightning, but the instrument unit in the and the Saturn was not affected. So it was continuing to control the spacecraft and well not the spacecraft but the Saturn five and so it was going to go to and orbit regardless of what the command module look like. But they got it back up as they were going up. But it was really tricky, I'll tell you. And one of the closest calls that we had in Apollo other than Apollo thirteen.
Speaker 2: Yes, sir, totally amazing. Let's talk about the mission of Apollo sixteen, John Young, of course, Ken Matile and yourself sailing to the Moon, and this is an amazing journey, sir. In your words, this is what I've always wanted to ask because I've built so many spacecraft, and obviously I try to read as much as I can. It's my favorite subject, sir. And I'm not just kissing up here to the chef as they say, this is really a fascinating story. Once you're in Earth orbit, you fire that particular motor, the rocket motor, onto your capsule in spacecraft, describe the journey to the Moon. How many days does it take? And you're still in the confines of a water rather small environments, as I say, the least as you head toward the Moon.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, the size of the command module inside had three hundred cubic feet, but that included all the equipment panels, the storage panels, the seeds, anything, and so each astronaut had about sixty eight cubic feet of volume that we had to operate in. But frankfully, you don't find it very crowded in zero gravity. You can float out of the seats, you go up into the tunnel, you can float above the seats. So it was nobody, I don't think felt it really cramped. We had plenty of room. The other part was on the way to the Moon. It took for Apollo, it took three days, about seventy two hours, and that was because of the fuel budget we had on the Command Service module engine. If you fired direct to the Moon, you're going so fast when you get there, we didn't have enough fuel and Apollo to slow down and get in orbit and then get back out of orbit again. So they pointed you way out in front of the Moon and allowed gravity Arth's gravity to slow you down. So the initial velocity like twenty five thousand miles an hour, but the average velocity over the trip to the Moon was probably thirty five hundred miles an hour. And so when you arrived at the Moon, you were still going too fast to go into orbit, but you had enough fuel to slow down, get in orbit, and then enough fuel left to get out of orbit and bring you back home. So the trip with seventy two hours tripped back with seventy two hours.
Speaker 2: That's amazing, mister Douke. I'm still scratching my head because thinking about this in history, it's probably an I'm saying this and you're always free to comment. This is probably what the greatest technological feat that the human species has ever done. And it's interesting that we talk about space today where we have astronauts on International Space Station, they're simply in lower Earth orbit. So U twelve and the other members, of course, not just those that went to the surface, those that went around the Moon have literally been the farthest humans ever in old time. And looking we're only two quarter million miles away, so we're hoping the few time brings us great space exploration to Yeah, it.
Speaker 1: Was, I mean, it was incredible that in Apollo it was a technological high point. I think probably a thousand years from now, one of the highlights of the twentieth century or human history until that point, was a leaving Earth orbit and landing on the Moon. It was incredible feat and that we did it in eight years and two months from the time of the announcement of the program was incredible. The US was just focused on the space race and we were determined to win it, and so it was all out, if you will, for the US, and you know, basically an unlimited budget, four hundred thousand people working on it, great technicians and scientists, engineers, and they built two great spacecraft Polo command module had a serious problem in the block one, but when they got and so they had to fire. But we changed it all and got it back on track and we were able to course, kneel and bus the land eight years and two months after the announcement of the program. So fantastic accomplishment.
Speaker 2: Let's talk briefly about the descent of the surface of the Moon. You and Commander John Young are at the controls of this amazing spacecraft, the Orion, as it continues to go down. About how high above the lunar surface are you when you begin the descent to the de cartridge and I believe on the surface of the Moon. This is interesting.
Speaker 1: We were about fifty thousand feet a little over eight miles and I think it was like two hundred and fifty miles up range, and so we started this descent. I don't remember exactly, but it was nine minutes or so from the start of ignition. It started the descent until you actually landed, and you're the attitude of the spacecraft was pointing. The windows were pointed out into space, so you didn't see the Moon approaching, and you were the landing radar walked on so you knew your rated descent, you knew your altitude, and you had a profile made sure you were on it, mission control, your go and all of those things, so you had a lot of confidence that you were on track. But the vehicle finally about seven thousand feet above the moon, it pitches down and the windows come and move such as you can see the landing site for the very first time, and we recognized the major craters in our landing spot. We called them, had named them Lone Star and Gator, and we saw those and we started maneuvering to the landing site. And unfortunately, the photographs that we had to study the landing site was a resolution of forty five feet, so things less than forty five feet were not seen in these photographs. And all of a sudden we realized there are a lot of craters up here are less than forty five feet, and a lot of rocks, and you had to make decisions really really quickly to find a level spot without a crater or boulders. And John did a fantastic job picking a spot and we landed with almost dead level and plenty of eight. Once we got out, we found it was reasy, easy to walk or walk around, but it turned out that we were about three yards beyond a big crater that we had not even Seen't think of that three yards backwards. We'd have had one leg back in this crater, and I'm not sure we would have been able to get out the experiments package, which was on the back side. Anyway, we didn't.
Speaker 2: This is amazing. Now, this is an amazing interview. We continue here with Charles Duke, ledd As and gentlemen here on the Doctor Sky Show. Of course, the tenth human to walk on the surface of the Moon. Only twelve have hes kind enough to spend time with us on The Doctor Sky Show. And I promise you, mister Duke, at the end will be of course doing a build up to Spacefest nine. You'll be attending along with many other dignitaries, astronauts, authors, speakers. I've spoken there a number of times, and that event takes place July the fifth through the eighth at this most beautiful resort. As you know, sir, the Marriotte start passing Tucson. Obviously, folks go to and search for the website or space Fest nine right off of the Internet. But mister Duke getting on the surface of the Moon. I mean, this is really amazing. I love the emotion part of this, because your blood pressure is probably you know, your heartbeats going. You're on the surface of the moon. And what's it like, seriously to come down that ladder. What were your thoughts as you actually stepped foot on this most amazing place, the moon.
Speaker 1: Well, I couldn't wait to come come down the ladder. We were supposed I was supposed to wait ten minutes until John got down and stableissed, and it was I was so excited. I closed chain sides and got on the sideway. I could get out the door, and I started out, and I was really excited coming down the ladder. And when I stepped onto the moon for the first time, it felt totally natural to me. It was not tentative steps. Of course. Of course, we were the fifth landing, so we knew that our weight, we weren't going to sink out of sight in the moon dust, and so you just get excited. And there were emotions like excitement and awe and wander and just almost unbelievable. I'm standing on the moon. I'm standing on the moon, and there was probably the most beautiful desert that I could describe, but with gray in color. Very rough topography, is rolling ridges and stuff, and very sharp break between the bright lunar surface and the blackness of the sky. And so we were excited about it, but we we had a lot to do, so we were busy, but we enjoyed it, and the fun of the three days never left, you know.
Speaker 2: Edrew Mitchell told me I spent a lot of time with Edgar, and of course you know him better than I do in his time of course in the astronaut core. But he told me on the surface of the Moon, he and Alan Shepherd were so busy they were pulling that little rickshaw. Obviously didn't have the luxury of the lunar rover like you, gentlemen had, and of course the wonders of the lunar rover. He said that on the surface of the Moon he could look up at the Earth and if I'm correct on this, tell us as you look, he said, the Earth appears like four times the size of what our full moon here is on the Earth, so simply way larger than we see our moon in our sky.
Speaker 1: Correct, well, it is, I mean, it is actually four times bigger. But it didn't look like that to me in the sky, it was a tremendous view. Unfortunately, where we stood on the Moon, the Earth was directly over our head and so up in your Paula suit and you're looking at the top of your opaque helmet, so you don't see it except for looking through the little telescope we had on the rover to get the antenna pointed at the Earth. But in Earth orbit we'd come around from the backside and before we landed, and there was this beautiful Earth rise which was very, very dramatic, and I remember holding my hand out and from the luar distance the Earth would fit under the puddle of my hand, so totally amazing. It's incredibly beautiful blue and white and little tins of brown every once in a while the land was all brown.
Speaker 2: You're on the Moon, as you know, for three EVAs twenty hours, some fourteen minutes and change, and obviously the lunar rover goes some sixteen miles in all your exploration there. But it's amazing that you come across the I see one part of the video or the film at the time where you and of course John Young come upon a very very large boulder that's that's incredible. I haven't seen large boulders like that in previous Apollo landings. Tell me about that. That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Well, it was on our third excursion and we'd gone to an objective what was called north Way Crater, which was a crater about the five hundred yards wide and about one hundred yards deep. And on we landed, we stopped on the it would be the southwest southeast corner of the of the of the crater to start a expiration. And I looked over and on the far rim was a was this rock. And I said, John, let's go down and inspect that rock. He I was too far away. Let's don't do that. And I said, come on, John's just right over there. So I talked him into it, and so we started jogging. And so one of the problems on the Moon you have no familiar objects to judge distance and size, No telephone, poles, trees, cars, people, things like that. And so we started jogging in the rock getting bigger and kept getting bigger and bigger and bigger, and finally we ended up down there and it was like house rock, we called it. I would estimate it was probably eighty to ninety feet across the base and maybe thirty feet high. It was enormous and I'd be willing to bet it's probably the biggest rock anybody ever actually touched and got a sample of on all of Apollo. That's increatably beautiful.
Speaker 2: You bring back about two hundred and eleven pounds and I'm reading this, sir, I mean you lived it. You bring it back about two hundred and eleven pounds of moon rocks of the so eight hundred and fifty is pounds that came back through the whole mission. But this is amazing. This is more of the human side. You've done something on the surface of the Moon, and I'm sure other astronauts have two. But you do something very symbolic. You leave on the moon a family portray your family, and you put it inside water a little piece of light plastic envelope enclosure. And also, if I'm correct, so you leave an air force metal on there for those that served. I mean, that's really amazing. Talk about the picture on the moon in the middle.
Speaker 1: Well, briefly, yeah, that's the only picture, only family picture on the moon in all of Apollo. And my kids were when I flew was one with seven almost five, the other almost five. So I wanted to get them involved. And y'all would like to go to the moon with Dad. Yeah, let's take the whole family of the Moon. And so we thought of this idea of this little snapshot. Friend took the picture, we got it developed, I got it approved to carry, and my idea was to drop it on the Moon the last eva at the end of the last and that's what we did. I dropped it on the Moon and took the picture of the picture which has become a very iconic image now for Apollo and.
Speaker 2: Was.
Speaker 1: I put it in a plastic bag, if you will, and closed it and passed the shrink wrap I guess you'd call it. And it hit the Moon and right side up, and I took the picture. And then also we had a medal at the Air Force had struck a small like a silver dollar size. It was the twenty fifth anniversary of the Air Force in nineteen seventy two and US Air Force and I was the only US Air Force officer going to be on the Moon that year. So we struck up this idea of saying happy Birthday from the Moon, and as part of that little ceremony, was dropping this coin on the Moon.
Speaker 2: That's a beautiful story, sir. I mean that's something that on the surface of the Moon, things last for billions of years. I imagine the picture what is still there and shining brightly correct, Well, the pictures.
Speaker 1: There, but it's it's the extreme temperature of the lunar surface from night to day and cosmic radiation. Everybody thinks that it's all faded away now, even some people even say, thank the colors of the flags have faded away. Nobody knows unless we go back, so the remains of the picture are still There's what I'm trying to say, But I'm not sure it'd be recognizable.
Speaker 2: Well, that's incredible.
Speaker 1: I know exactly where I dropped it. Though. If I go back, I look.
Speaker 2: I hope we all get to go see that, sir, And I think that's amazing. But it's amazing here. I want to just end off on something else. There's another person in Mattingly who's doing what the loneliest man in the world job as every one of the pilots who flies around the Moon. There's a lot of science going on there. But can you imagine, I mean, those stories are just equally important that those people are so vital to your mission. Finally, I ask this, as you're ready to leave the surface of the Moon, you have to do a series of want buttons and switches to actually get the ascent motor going. Obviously, if that had failed, well then we know what would have been the likelihood of survival on the Moon. But those engineers, here's a big shout out, mister Douke. I'm sure like you did many times that when you pressed or flipped the switch, the ascent motor did its job, and thank goodness, it did.
Speaker 1: Right, You're right. You're sitting there a lot of tension at that point. The computer's counting down to the ignition. It's a sequence that the computer initiates, you know, separates the deset stage, electrical plumbing, all that stuff. Explosive boats go and then the all that ripple so fast, so you just almost one second and then the engine starts, and it was if you listen to my comments going up, what a ride? What a ride? And you're on your way. If it had no lit we had some emergency procedures we could go through and try to get it going. If we didn't, we'd power down and make it last as long as possible, and maybe somebody come up with a good idea. But rocket motors are pretty simple, no moving parts. You know, you need a fuel and oxidizer and you need a pressurization system and so electricity to open the valves and that's it. And so that it was a great little engine. That Ascent engine worked perfectly on every flight.
Speaker 2: Well, sir, the time we have is just a few more moments with you in this time, in this segment. But I want to thank you, sir for your service to the United States of America, your military service and all, no matter what rank, the men and women the United States military, that many have given their lives for freedom. And again, twelve moonwalkers. Charles Duke is our very special guest if you're just joining us. He's the tenth man, the tenth human to walk on the surface of the Moon. He and his commander John Young and Ken Mattingley go into the history books with Apollo sixteen April to sixteenth through April the twenty seventh, nineteen seventy two. Again, so I'm reading this, some two hundred and eleven pounds of precious moon rocks return to the surface of the Earth. I got to ask you this, sir, what's your hope and prayer for this country and maybe us to explore the Moon again. I think we should have done it. I'm biased we should be there already with habitation modules. But what say you about the promise of the future going to the Moon.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm with you. I look forward to a return to the Moon and with habitation modules, and so we set up a space station on the Moon. I think it would be a great environment to do that. And you're close enough to get help if you have problems, and then you cycle cruise back every three or four months or whatever it turns out, and we can learn some you know, manufacturing techniques. We could develop systems that we have great confidence in so that when we go to Mars that we can you're basically autonomous on your own at Mars. So we've developed these things on the Moon that are so reliable that we have great confidence that we can repeat it on Mars eventually. So I think we should return to the Moon as as soon as possible.
Speaker 2: I certainly agree, sir. And you're hearing it legends someone from Man who walks the walk he talks that he's been there and sir, just in case there's any doubting people out there, and I hear this insanity from time to time and that we never went to the Moon. I'm here in Arizona, sir, and we're close to the folks that have managed the the lro the Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, And as you know, I'm amazed that the spacecraft has given such a visual identification of all of the Apollo landing sites. You and of course the Lunar rover that's on the surface of the Moon. You can see the tracks. And believe me, folks, that's amazing, isn't it, mister Douke, to see that imaging from space to show even that the scent modules sitting there. I'm as at that technology.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the RO folks have been real good about sending me copies of some of the unique photographs the space graph is taken. And so it's hard to than that when you see the vehicles all sitting and all the landing sites, the fixed landing, you see the vehicles there, so it's hard to say you faked it.
Speaker 2: Last comment I'd like to get to you, so before we go to the bottom of the hour break here I'm understood from speaking to other moonwalkers and other astronauts that lunar dust gets in just about everything. And those just beautiful white suits that you have when you go to the moon, they look and you see them in the museums, they get a little bit dirtied up. And let's say you inside the Orion, you're there, what trying to get as much of that stuff off? It gets in everything. I'm told is that car rushes all over the place.
Speaker 1: Well, we had brushes, but we quickly realized that the moon dust was so fine that we weren't going to brush much off. And we tried outside, got back inside and we were a little bit more available, I mean, able to wipe dust off with towels and stuff. But it finally we just gave up and said what we were interested in cleaning the connectors and stuff like that, and just let the color of the suit go. But we ended up gray. You're right, it's it just gets all over you and so it's just impossible clean up.
Speaker 2: I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart and all the listeners who love the Apollo program. It'll never be forgotten. And my mission is doctor Sky among others is to go out there and help explain and to promote and to share knowledge with the young people today about the great stories like yourself and of course John Young, Ken Mattingley and all in the Apollo program and all of the astronauts. And we wish you well, sir. If you stay with us, don't hang up. As we go to the bottom of the break, I'd like to chat with you off air. That concludes this exciting addition as always of the Doctor Sky Show, a ten year legacy with great guests as you know today from the realms of astronomy, space aviation, and of course celebrity guests in the mix Charles Duke, the tenth man on the surface of the Moon. I'm honored by your presence, Sarah, and I'm sure the audience is really excited to have you. Doctor Sky reminds everyone, and I'm sure mister Duke would agree. Right. Always remember to keep your eyes to the skyes.
Speaker 1: Thank you, right, my pleasure to be with you. It'll look forward to stay fast.
Speaker 2: Thank you and stand by sir and stay on the line with us, and thank you for that. I do. We'll be back in just a moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I