Speaker 1: Hi, Welcome. This is Doctor John de Martini. This is one of the most amazing and inspiring shows that you can listen into. If you want to be on the edge of your seats, if you want to open up your heart, if you want to expand your mind, and you want to meet incredible people, stay tuned because you're just about to experience transformative radio show that will change your life. And you're listening to The Doctor Pat Show is coming up right next.
Speaker 2: Welcome to the Doctor Pat Show Talk Radio to thrive by powerful, inspiring and coming to you live, bringing you stories of people like you and me busting through and living life full out. Get ready to dare to wonder what your life would be like if you knew you could not fail.
Speaker 3: Hey, everybody, I want to welcome you to a special edition. Now here's what I want to say before I introduce you to my very special guest today. You know, one of the things you all have heard me talk about over and over and over again is how I grew up what I was exposed to, but very few of you ever heard me talk about the fact that I also grew up in a military family. I also grew up in a police family. Yeah, I have on one side of the family chief of Police, the other side of the family major sergeant. So what is the thing that happens when you're around people in that arena. The other part of what I grew up with is understanding how to live off the land. And I was very fortunate to be part of studying the land with some incredible Indigenous people. But one of the things that we don't talk about is what was that like for us as kids, And actually have never talked about it until now. Joining me today is David Hayes Cox wrote a new book. It is called This is a Gun. This book is so needed, it is so timely, And what I want to say about it is, if you're from my family, you got the schooling on this is a gun early on. But yet here we are and we're just not talking about it. And yet, David, half of the families is it in the United States owned guns? Is that a correct deal?
Speaker 4: Right there?
Speaker 5: It's between forty and fifty of American owned firearms. That's correct.
Speaker 3: So thank you for joining me here today. This is a safety guide for families with children, and it is so needed. You know, I was very fortunate because my family was so open about their military experience or police experience. A lot of us wanted to become police people or whatever. That is. Right, So those conversations happened early, Right, we got exposure early. But what's going on with families that were so afraid to have these conversations with our children.
Speaker 5: Well, first of all, thanks for having me on. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's great to have here.
Speaker 5: You're absolutely right. What's not happening is families, both families that own firearms and families that do not own firearms, are not having the conversation with their children, their younger children about firearms, just about the fact that they exist in this world, especially in our country here in the United States. They exist, and they're dangerous items if they're not used properly, just like any other tool in our house, any other thing that could be dangerous. We're avoiding this conversation, and it's both sides. Firearms owners and non firearms owners are avoiding this conversation. Now, like you said, you grew up in a family that didn't avoid this conversation, and there certainly are plenty of firearms owning families that are doing the right thing. Having that conversation. For sure, they exist for lots of them. But unfortunately, there is still a lot of accidental deaths happening in this country, and we can prevent them. All we have to do is educate our children.
Speaker 3: I love that we're talking about this. You know, my family immigrated here and my grandfather lived off the land from Brazil, so you know, coming to the United States not understanding the rules here. Of course you bring what you know. And you know, all of us were exposed to this because you walk into our house you see a gun over the mantle. I mean, those are some of the things that I was exposed to, but it isn't so obvious in a lot of families. And I want to talk to you about the second thing you said. You know, you talked about having conversation and families that don't own guns. Let's talk about the importance of that, and then we'll talk about how you illustrated the book. Why is that important to have that conversation, regardless whether.
Speaker 5: You've got a gun or not, because we're not in control of the environments that we are not in control of, and the numbers here in America are between four hundred and five hundred million guns are in civilian hands. Now, I'm not here to judge that number. I'm just here to tell you that that's what the number is. And that means that, along with what we mentioned before, which is that between forty and fifty two percent of us households own firearms, that your child, whether you have a house with a gun in it or not, if your child is old enough to play at a friend's house and play unsupervised, there is about a fifty to fifty chance that they're playing in a house that might own a firearm. And I'm not saying that just because a house owns a firearm that it's going to be a dangerous situation. I'm not saying that at all. All I'm saying is that we can't be in control of environments that we're not in control of, and we need to prepare our children for any possible situations. Yeah, I say this all the time. With this, which is, we don't send our children out into the world without preparing them for that world. We teach them to look both ways before they cross the street. We teach them about stranger danger, We teach them all of these things about being on their own out in the world. But for some reason, well I know the reason, we all know the reason. Because guns are such a contentious political topic, we avoid this conversation completely and we think that if we avoid it, nothing's going to happen, and it's just not going to affect us. And unfortunately, the numbers are saying that's not the case.
Speaker 4: No, it's not, and that's going to be I mean, we're not talking about something that is based on the law diminishing returns right now, because the amount of homes and families and peoples that are now going out acquiring guns and getting some people are actually getting turned. You know. Look, I come from this family where my brother in law was a master archer, and I remember walking in his room one day and he.
Speaker 3: Just got back. First of all, I wasn't supposed to be in his bedroom, right, I mean, you shouldn't even be there. But he hadn't put away his beautiful archery equipment. And here's the kid going over to the equipment. I got to tell you, my brother in law jumped out of that bathroom like it was nobody's business. And what it led to is sitting us down and having a conversation about what it is, what it does, and what to be aware of because like anything, right, I mean, he was an Olympic kind of guy. Like anything, there are moments in a family or something like that might happen, do you know what I mean? I love the way you start the book, and I want to start there. You asked the question, and I want to ask the audience this question, and thank you for the illustrations. Thank you so much, you say in the opening. And this is not just for kids. I want to go this out there for the parents too. What do you do if you see a gun and you give us three choices? Do not touch the gun, run away from it, tell an adult about the gun. Now, why am I bringing that up? That is one of the fundamental things where we should start to educate our kids about. And we don't know what to do to answer that question. Generally speaking, we don't do it.
Speaker 5: That's right, and it seems so straightforward when we say it out loud, But we need to explain this to our kids because they have developing minds and they can't come to that simple conclusion on their own. They just can't do it all the time, or if ever, if they're not given the instruction first a child has an idea in their head about guns that is built upon just movies, television shows, video games, their friends playing on the playground, nerf guns, squirt guns. They have this amalgam built up in their head about what a real gun is. And mostly all of that is positive because heroes use them, They have fun and games playing with toy guns. They don't have a sense of danger about guns unless we as parents explain to them that a real gun is dangerous, a real gun requires training, a real gun should never be touched by an untrained hand, and real gun shouldn't be touched by a young child. And if we don't explain this to them and they come across one, they're going to go towards it, not away from it, and it won't be their fault at all.
Speaker 4: Ye.
Speaker 3: Yeah, A lot of the situations that happened, including one from my childhood, right. I told you we were well schooled even as very young kids. And I remember going over to Joseph's house one day and down his basement and there he had his dad's gun out of nowhere. And I like at the beginning of the book where you give us different guns, right, you give us different gun types because we were also schooled. But when I was growing up, I didn't have to worry. We didn't have to worry about automatic or semi automatic machine type guns, right, But we did recognize some of them, like a snubnose or a smaller gun or something like that. And I remember going down there and Joseph had this gun, and I was like, dude, put the gun away. This is put the put it down. I'm not going to come down your basement. Put the gun down. Put it down. Because kids, it's hard to convert kids from I got the I got the holster, the toy holster, and now I got a real gun, and convert them to the wisdom and the knowledge that those are not the same. You don't wave the gun around. Isn't that One of the greatest challenge we have is the lack of knowledge or even shall I say, ignorance of young people because they haven't been taught.
Speaker 5: That's right. Without proper training, they're not going to know how to be safe around a firearm. And you are so lucky that you had at least some training from your parents, you know, to be wary of a real firearm. And to say that I would even I would even add these days, I would say, if you come down and your friend is holding a gun, don't even try to tell them to put it down. Turn around, get out of them, word, get out, Find an adult to tell them to put it down. Don't put that on yourself, don't put that on your child to instruct another child what to do about a firearm. Your job is to stay alive. Your job is to get out of that room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and thank you for saying that, because that is the best advice. You know. As a kid, you don't know what to do. But we have to make our children educated. We really do have to drive the point home. If you're walking into a room and somebody's waving around a gun, you need to get out. I mean, don't you think that there are things we could talk about today that are some of the misconceptions.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Number one, All guns are dangerous, end a story, even the gun I held up from World War Two before the show. All guns are dangerous, and if you think about them any other way, we're going to be in trouble.
Speaker 5: That's right. I mean, we have to explain all guns are dangerous in the same way that all knives are dangerous. All chainsaws are dangerous. All bodies of water that you don't know how to swim in are dangerous. This is what everybody needs to understand. And as long as we can educate our children how to identify a firearm and understand that it's a dangerous that they shouldn't touch, then they can remain safe.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now, look, you have been knowledgeable teaching for I think it's over twenty years. What do you think is let's start with the parents. What do you think The number one, and I'm gonna call it a mistake, is that they make newly gun owner old gun order. I don't care what kind of gunoder, but what's at the top of your list that people should be like? Please, parents, you got to think better than this.
Speaker 5: Well. Top of the list for new gun owners is that they have to budget for storage. Period. New gun owners, you can't have storage as a side. I'll get to it eventually. Yeah, you have a budget for a firearm, and you're a parent, especially a parent, you need to make sure that that budget includes a way to lock that gun up period. You cannot take a new gun into your house with kids in your house and not have a way to securely store that so that your children cannot access it. And that doesn't mean putting it on the top shelf, because the statistics show that you know. That might work for the toddler years, But as soon as your kids have a sense of direction, a sense of where each room is, an ability to walk through each room on their own without you chasing after them, they eventually find out where the firearms are at a much higher rate than you could possibly imagine. And as a matter of fact, most children know where your firearms are, even if they haven't told you that they know. So it's so crucial that you have storage, a storage device or a lock for your firearm. That's number one.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about this. Putting the gun in your dress or drawer because you think your children are not allowed to come in your bedroom. That's a big no. Gun in the dresser drawer unlocked, and you think you're burying it in your underwear, That isn't it. Putting your rifle under the bed, Are you kidding me? But these are things that we do, and what you're doing is educating us not to do this. One question I have about safety and I want to get to it. This this idea that I just bought a case for my gun, beautiful heavy duty black case. Everything's in the case, right, I'm protecting it, not really though, as long as that's if it's got a lock. But also you need to not have it in a case where it's obvious that your children see it. You know, kids, I don't care what they are. They're curious and as they get older, whatever happens in their mind, whatever movie they're watching, whatever, whatever, whatever whatever influence they are, under peer group pressure, they're going to find that thing. They're going to take it outside and they're going to probably try to put a sledgehammer to it to open it. And so we have to be a little bit more careful, don't we.
Speaker 5: Well, I agree with with caution always, but I will say this, The goal is to make sure that firearms are not a forbidden fruit.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 5: So what that means is that you need to normalize that there are fire If you are a firearms owner, you need to normalize that. You need to educate your kids. And I think it's completely okay to let your children know that, yes, you are a firearms owner, when you're ready to make that when you're ready to make that statement, when you're ready to tell them about that. I think it's completely okay that they know this, and a lot of firearms owners, you know, if their child tells them, their younger child, child five, six, seven years old, hey can I see your gun? That's a completely okay question to ask.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: The best thing that you can do is not go so no, never, I'll never let you see that that you should never ever touch it, don't you know, don't don't ever talk about it. That's that's not what we should do. What we should do is make sure that one it's unloaded, and two that you you don't have to let them hold it. You don't have to let them touch it, but just for them to see it, and you show them how you're holding it safely. You need to know the four Universal Laws of gun safety, which will show you how to properly hold a firearm even if it's unloaded in front of your child. Make sure that you you do this so that the gun doesn't become this forbidden fruit that they're driven out of curiosity towards. And that way, if you do have a case with a lock on it, it won't become something so extreme that they might take it outside and put a sledgehammer to it because it's just normalized in your home and so or they're just not curious any longer. Oh yeah, it has a gun, it's locked up.
Speaker 3: I love that you're talking about that, because if it's not normalized the way you behave around your peers and kids, and you cover this in your book. I want to take a minute and I just want to ask you, first of all, how do people get the book and how do they find out more about that? What is your website?
Speaker 5: The website is this is agun dot org and you can buy the book on Amazon. You can buy it at Barnesandoble dot com. Any online retailer that sells books carries this book.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I want to go back to what you said because it's very very important. It's actually the psychology that's behind this. And one of the things that I want to get back to that you said is we have to normalize it so that a behavior doesn't seem extreme. And what am I talking about it? It's you and I are adults talking about this, but that's not always a scenario. It's your twelve or thirteen year old with your neighbor's twelve or thirteen year old or having a conversation. You know, one wants to see a gun, the other one doesn't. And if you're not prepared for scenarios like that, then you're going to get tripped up.
Speaker 5: That's right, and that's why you have to instill this confidence in your child. When you give them adequate information, When you can give them permission to talk confidently about firearm safety, they can insulate themselves from peer pressure. If you don't give them permission to say no to a friend, they will say no to the friend. So that's that comes from the parents confidence. We take our confidence and we lend it to our children and we say it's okay to say no to your friend. If your friend is like, hey, my dad's got a gun. You want to see it? You say no, thank you, I'm good, right you. You have permission to say no to your friend from us. We're telling you that that's okay and that you're not going to get in any trouble for saying no to your friend. Your friend is going to be okay with you saying no. It's it's going to be fine if you tell them no. And the same thing goes with your own helm where they go, hey, does your gun? Does your dad own a firearm? Right? Can I see it? Can you show it to me?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Give them permission to say no, that's not how it works. So we have to give them that permission.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I know this is a short interview, but I want to get to one of the latter parts in the book, and it is the promise section. Yes, now, I got to ask you. I love that you put that there. What was behind your thinking of including my gun safety promise in the book? I just love the way that is because it does something very very cool. First of all, it engages the youth and not scolds them. It is that thing where you're talking about normalized but you're also teaching them about accountability, about the fact that guns do kill.
Speaker 5: That's right. It's a section where the child basically can read out all of the steps for firearms safety and then they sign their name on there, and that helps them take ownership of this. It's a pledge to themselves, and it's a pledge to their parents in the community that they're going to be responsible when it comes to firearms and firearms safety. And it's just another way. It's another tool in the toolbox for getting our children engaged and making sure that these rules stick in their head. That's the most important part.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's go over some of the common guns that we find in households. You also talk about this in the book, and many of the people here may or may not know, but you also need to educate your family on I think on gun type. I really think it's important for if you're going to be around guns, you have to understand what you're around, right. You know, if you're going to work with your dad on your car, right, you have to understand what you're using to work on that car. Same thing in anything you do in life, you have to understand the tools you're using. You have to understand why you're using them. You have to be able to see. You know, please don't go near that table saw if you don't know how to use it. Folks, Right, that's right, But not every table saw is the same. So can we talk about this because you included this in a book and I was curious about your inclusion of this.
Speaker 4: In the book.
Speaker 5: Well, it's actually quite simple and it might be the most important part of the entire book. It's why I put a life size replica of a real firearm on the cover.
Speaker 3: I saw that.
Speaker 5: You know, there's two things, two main things that children need out of this book to be safe around guns. Which is the one is the steps that we discussed. Don't touch, run away, find an adult if they ever see a gun. But in order to follow those steps, they need to know what a real gun actually looks like. Because you could teach those three steps till you're blue in the face. But if you aren't sure that your child knows a real gun when they see it, they don't know when to fall those steps. So what I found was is that children can follow those steps, but because they've never seen a real gun before in their life, they don't know what a real gun size looks like. They don't know what a real gun actually looks like. It's something that we take for granted. We think, oh, everybody knows what a gun looks like because they've seen them on TV or they've seen them in video games. But those are caricatures of real guns. A lot of times films TV shows use extra large guns because they show up on screen better than small guns. So when children look at actual like actual guns that are the most popular guns in America for concealment carry for protective purposes. They look at these and they think they might be toys because of how small they are. So it's so important. And that's why I put a real life size one of the smallest guns and most popular guns in America on the cover of this book, and a gun library in the back of life size images of the ten most popular handguns, so that children can act actually see the real size and what they really look like, so that they can start building a database in their head. Yeah, so if they see one in real life, they have a much better chance of saying, hey, that's not a toy, that's a real gun. I'm not going to touch that. I'm going to get out of here.
Speaker 3: Yeah. And also it's capability, I mean, part of what we were trained about, especially since you know, on my grandfather's side of the family, they lived off the land. You know, he was a farmer in Brazil. I mean, come on now, right, I mean it's not like you wake up and you got a gazillion dollars. I mean, I don't even think he had a grocery store to go to. So everything was off the land. And you know when he came over here, he brought everything with him that he had, and so for us as kids, you know, we weren't afraid of it. But in the world we live in now, you know, you get shows that literally named the gun, and then it becomes sexy and then you know what I'm saying, it's like, what, that's the most common thing you hear on TV right on whatever the show is, that's out there whatever. I know what, I don't know, whatever the show is. It's a nine millimeter okay, And you're right, these guns look gigantic on TV, and that is kind of you know, when you actually see a gun. And thank you for putting the full size pictures in here, because you did do that right.
Speaker 5: They're all life size.
Speaker 3: They're all life size picture. I was a little surprised, I will tell you. I don't know why I was surprised. I'm not an officionado, but the Glock nineteen one.
Speaker 5: Of the right regular handguns in America.
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 3: The other misconception is that guns cost a lot of money, and they don't. In the context of things, they don't cost a lot of money, so they are easily available. And I'm talking officially buying a gun. I'm not talking about going on the show and buying a gun. But I want to ask, in a few minutes left, if you add three of your top things you want to leave us with on this what would that be? What do you find Usually are the hardest parts of the conversation that parents run into.
Speaker 5: Well, the hardest thing for parents to do really is just to get comfortable with talking about guns. It's a really hard, a hard thing to do. A lot of parents are so scared that they won't even utter the word. And we need to break free of that, and we need to realize that we do for our children's sake. We need to talk about guns, and we need to do it calmly, and we need to do it with confidence. And then after that it's just what I've already described, which is that we need to make sure our child knows how to identify a real gun, and they need to understand the three steps of don't touch, run away, find an adult. And we need to be able to give them as many situations as possible where they might find a gun, so that they can build up a database in their head of guns and scenarios where they might find one, and give them that confidence to say I'm not going to go near it. I'm going to tell my friend no, I'm going to run away. I'm going to find an adult. I'm going to be safe.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, thank you for everything today.
Speaker 3: I have one last question. How are we doing with taking this conversation into schools.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a lot, there's a lot of work to be done. There are definitely some schools out there that are doing some basic firearms training in the elementary school area. I think there's a lot more that needs to be done. I think that, you know, schools, public schools across the country need to include firearms awareness in just the basic educational training that they have for their elementary schools. So we need to do a lot more.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, Jave, thank you so much for today's last question. What's your personal message? What would you like to leave us with and again give us the website.
Speaker 5: Yes, so it's this is a gun dot org. It's it's where you'll find all of the information for parents and for firearms owners and non owners how to keep your children safe. And my message is just that education is what empowers us, you know, and the research consistently shows that age appropriate education improves children's safety outcomes and this is this is the case in all domains, including firearms, and we need to realize that that safety safety education improves all outcomes in every other domain, so it will also improve outcomes in firearms. Absolutely.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for everything you're doing on this. Education is really the key to this. You know, I grew up in a tough neighborhood. You know, I grew up in the projects, and you know, when you grow up in an environment like that, you're more exposed than most people are. But now we live in a world where you just reference forty two percent that we know of, and they're probably more we don't, So demystifying it and educating all family members are essential right now. Thank you so much for the work you're doing, and thank you for the book.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me on you BET.
Speaker 3: For those of you out there, the book is called this is a Gun, and I want you to know that this is educational. And by the way, if you don't know how to have the conversation, get a hold of Dave. Go to the website. Right, this is agun dot org. I believe that's right, Dave, ask some questions, right, this is what you can do ask some questions so that you can have the conversation right. But the thing really that Dave pointed out is the conversation is a normalized one. It's not fire and brimstone. It's something that gets a child or a family to understand this is going to kill somebody. And number two, you have the ability to do things that you probably don't think you have the ability to do. Thank you Dave so much. We'll see y'all next time.
Speaker 5: Thanks again.