Speaker 1: The coolest thing about modern day technology or storytelling is the fact that you can get it anywhere. But when you go searching for it, how long is that search actually taking place? Well, let me introduce to you Ero dot net, A r r oe dot net twenty different podcasts one place. One of the biggest most popular ones, Foody Paradise. Oh, we are talking to the chefs. We are talking to the authors who are all about getting your mind, body and soul back together again. FOODI Paradise Only on ero dot net A r r oe dot net. Enjoy your exploration. Hey, welcome back to the conversation. Let's do some pod crashing. Episode number four seventy three is with Clayton Eckard and Stephanie Young from the podcast Love Trapped. Good morning you too, Little Troublemakers.
Speaker 2: How are you hold on? Now? Hold on? There's only one of us here that's in trouble Baker.
Speaker 1: That's oh my god. You are creating conversation out here, which is what I love about what it is that you've done with your podcast, because this is what it's all about. This shows the intimacy of what a podcast is all about. And it also shows that hey, look what you think. You know, you don't, but sit down and have the podcast in your life, you will.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, Stephanie has done such an incredible job. I think there couldn't be a better storyteller. That's that's put this all together. I mean, how do you put something like this that's been dragging on for just three years in my own life? But then you have previous victims ranging back as far as ten So Stephanie will tell you she has thirty hours of recorded audio of me just alone.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Wow, I've listened to Clayton talk a lot.
Speaker 1: So that's your way. That's your way of pretty much. Dan, you could probably impersonat.
Speaker 4: Him, you know.
Speaker 5: I feel like at this point he could probably just get off the call and I can answer for him.
Speaker 2: That's very true.
Speaker 1: Well, Stephanie, what really drew you to this? Because we all like drama, and we see so much of it when it comes to reality TV, but when it becomes a part of our reality, I mean, you're really showing us something here that says, hey, awareness is keen. But at the same time, just understand why Stephanie would take a chance like this.
Speaker 4: Listen.
Speaker 5: I have always loved true crime and I've always loved pop culture, so this was kind of the intersection of both things. And when you actually dive into this specific story, the twist and turns are so crazy that it's like, how could I have not taken this role to do this podcast and share Clayton side of the story. And you know, like I mentioned, I have talked to him for so many hours and hearing all the intricacies and all the things that he went through has really been eye opening. And it's not just been him like this. I want to be clear that the story, there's not just one victim. There's a lot of victims, and there's people that have also dealt with this this person who has somehow affected their lives in a different way.
Speaker 4: And by the by the end of the podcast, I.
Speaker 5: Think you're going to see how many people she's actually affected.
Speaker 1: Well, Clayton, is it one of those situations where it's like inside your heart, you knew what it was when you picked it up, but you still picked it up.
Speaker 3: You know, it's I honestly feel this is the way that I live, that everything happens for a reason and what's meant for me is is meant for me to experience, and you know, when.
Speaker 2: This first occurred, you know, I didn't understand why I was going through it.
Speaker 3: You know, I felt that I was unfairly targeted, and that still may be true. I don't really think anybody should be targeted in this manner, But nonetheless, over time, I've realized that it has become bigger than me. You know, this wasn't an isolated incident. This was something where again she's a perpetrator that has done this to multiple individuals and they had never had seen justice be served. They honestly, she had a stronghold on them and was you know, manipulating them and was not leaving their lives. I mean, she was just you can havoc over all these years. And so now we're at a point where it looks like she may not be able to do that anymore. So, uh, you know, again, at first, I wasn't really certain an understanding of why I was going through it, but I clearly see why I have to now.
Speaker 1: Now we keep saying the word she. We're talking about Susie Evans. Are we correct here?
Speaker 2: Oh no, no, no, no, no, no, no no no.
Speaker 1: I know The reason why I said that was because, Okay, because the listeners are gonna be going she she she, she she, and they're gonna they're gonna go to somebody and go, Okay, they must be talking about this. So let's let's let's identify who she is.
Speaker 2: Yes, she is Laura Owens.
Speaker 3: No, no affiliation with the with the reality TV shows.
Speaker 5: I was just going to say that the biggest question I get when I do this podcast is was Laura a contestant on Clayton's season of the Bachelor?
Speaker 4: And the answer is no, she was not.
Speaker 1: Mmm, So then then don't you just sit back and go what the hell happened here? I mean, it's it's like it's like didn't play out right there in front of our eyes, and we just we just kept, you know, just moving on because I mean, I know what goes on behind the scenes, we just don't talk about it that much until now.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, again, I would say, there's really no way to know that someone is going to do something, has the capacity to do this. I mean, I've been around bad people, but I've never been around evil to the degree that what Laura Owens us.
Speaker 1: Is, how did you deal with this, Stephanie? Because I know that as a journalist. It's got to move through your fingertips, but it has to move through your heart first. How did you repair that in order to be strong enough to to basically even be sitting here today sharing this conversation because you had to go through the same emotions that Clayton did.
Speaker 5: Oh, I definitely didn't go through the same emotions Clayton did. He had it, He had it much worse than I did. However, retelling the story, I can I can certainly tell you that there are a lot of sensitive topics that are discussed in this in this podcast, and a lot of them are directly related to women. So that is certainly been a hard a hard thing to do navigating this podcast. But yeah, I would say that the emotional toll this story takes is I've seen a lot of people cry. I've cried with a lot of people, and I think you're going to hear that in the podcast.
Speaker 1: And to have that key or that needle in the haystack, I mean, Clayton, that's one of those things where I mean, do you think it's going to change how viewers watch shows like this? Or basically I think they're going to embrace you more. I mean I just think that they're going to love you more, they're going to follow you more, and I just feel something here that is a connection. Because in reality, doesn't it happen to all of us in one way or another.
Speaker 2: Yes, you know it can.
Speaker 3: And that's where again, these other victims were not from reality television. These are people that you know, have lived a more quote unquote normal life or maybe a watch life out of the spotlight. And so it can happen to anybody that has happened to these individuals, and so I just happened to be the one that had been on reality television. It was a little bit more known. And so you know, again here we are today and and you know, hopefully we have a trial upcoming with this individual. She's you know, she's facing fourteen felony charges. And again, this podcast is really going to take you right up until that point. Wow, it'll it'll pull you up to date with everything that's going on. And then you know, late July we have this trial and so the outcome is still up in the air. You know, we only can hope that accountability will be had, but that's of course out of our hands now and is in the you know, County Attorney's.
Speaker 1: Hands now now, Stephanie, I'm glad that Clayton brought that up, because in my heart, I truly said, this is not going to end. It's not going to end this at this season. There's going to be several to follow because this is a continuation type story and it's going to affect other people, and I just I just can't imagine what it's going to be like inside your imagination and drive to continue sharing what is going on.
Speaker 5: I certainly hope that we have the opportunity to continue what's going on. Clayton mentioned that the criminal trial is happening in July, and my hope is that we will get to cover that trial. But I do also know that a plea deal was offered over the past week or so, so if the plea deal is accepted, obviously there won't be a trial. So we're kind of in a wait and see mode as to what's actually going to be happening with the criminal trial.
Speaker 1: But Clayton, you already know what lawyers can be like when it comes to that courtroom, and it's one of those where they could sit there and say, yeah, you can have anybody in here with this Stephanie, girl, she can't come in and because I mean, cause they're going to try to stall the story somehow, some way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course they are. And they've done that all along the way, you know.
Speaker 3: So it's one of those things where again you just have to believe that, like, hey, the people that are going to be in the room are the right people in the room at the right time. We have, you know, made great headway as far as like getting this person to be placed in a position where she now will face accountability I mean until proven. Otherwise she's in the hot seat and she is she is being charged or or has these charges over her head. So you know, at this point we're just waiting on time to play out. But I would say, yeah, I mean, of course they've definitely tried to get people to be removed from the courtroom that anybody that might be able to corroborate our story and provide additional evidence to put lock for a way.
Speaker 2: Of course they're doing you know, her lawyers are.
Speaker 3: Doing anything in their capability to give her the best chance at getting off.
Speaker 1: Slap on them, Stephanie. That that was led me right into my the question that I was feeling in my soul because I mean he said hot seat, and I'm going to oh, this hot seat could cool very quickly, and all it takes is one sentence or one word, and those lawyers are going to jump on it, and all of a sudden, people can say what happened, what happened here?
Speaker 2: It was?
Speaker 1: It was it was a sheer case here that we that we had, we had done, and then when it cooled off, it's like, what happened?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, hopefully that doesn't happen in this upcoming trial. But I think one of the things with this case that has been so interesting to me is that there's so many eyes on it. There are so many we call internet detectives that have been following along and picking apart every single detail on Reddit, on YouTube, on every different social media platform. So when something happens with this case, there are a lot of eyes on it and people have the information pretty quickly, so we are keeping up to date with it as best we can.
Speaker 1: Please do not move. There's more with Clayton and Stephanie coming up next. The name of the podcast Love Trapped with Clayton Eckert and Stephanie Young. Clayton, we live in an age where and first of all, I want you to know that, in my heart, Stephanie is not an armchair quarterback salut on this. She is an actual, honest to god journalist in this process of building the story. But I mean, how many of these armchair quarterback people came up to you and said, there's a story here, Clayton, but we need to share my way and not necessarily your way.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: You know, I was approached before Stephanie and her team came to me. I was approached multiple times, and you know, there were a few times that I was like, no, absolutely not, and there were other times where I said, yeah, sure, I think you guys can share my story. And at the end of the day, none of them manifested for one reason or another. And so again I just felt that what was meant to be was going to occur. And so when I met Stephanie and her team, it just it just felt natural.
Speaker 2: It felt right.
Speaker 3: You know, they had the credibility they've they've they've they have high level productions. So for me, it was about, hey, let's get visibility on this because I want to go back to a point that was just made prior. There have been points in this last three years where this case has cooled off. And you know, right, what's so great about this podcast is it's going to basically build up right until the trial, so there is no chance for it to cool off.
Speaker 2: So as long as people follow.
Speaker 3: Along at this point, we are bringing a new audience with this podcast. And that's what I'm grateful for. Is, Look, I don't need anything massive to come from this other than I just don't want there to be a cooling off in the final hour because that's obviously the worst time for things, you know, for traction to be lost.
Speaker 2: And so you know, if we just.
Speaker 3: Get more visibility on this and there's the more eyes there are, the more likely that this individual is going to face the you know, the harshest extent.
Speaker 2: Of the law.
Speaker 1: When you say words like eyes right away, I am taken into a situation where it's it's like, I wish I could have been a fly on the wall to watch the eyes of you, Stephanie and your team when another victim comes into the storyline, because in that moment, you had to make a choice, and you had to make that right choice in order to keep this story growing forward.
Speaker 5: Yeah, of course, I mean I think one of the biggest things for me and this is that it wasn't just Clayton. And when we find out about this story, when the story goes public, it's because Clayton was a public figure. And I think that was probably the biggest turning point in this entire story, because if Clayton wouldn't have gone public, then we wouldn't have found out about the other victims. And because because Laura did go public with this story and put Clayton out there saying that she was pregnant with his twins, we wouldn't have found out about the other victims.
Speaker 4: And since we did find out about them.
Speaker 5: We're able to share their stories as well to create more awareness.
Speaker 1: Clayton, you're in the middle of all this. I mean it's like, are you writing? Are you doing something so that your heart can stay strong and your soul can keep moving forward and growing forward, Because I mean it's like, there's got to be a side of you that says, God, just drop it, just drop it so I can get on with my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I actually extended an offer multiple times to her to drop things before she made it public. The second that she went public and tried to publicly to fame me and look like, my image is a large part of what I do. You know, every line of work that I work in deals with relationships. I'm in sales, and so the public perception of me is everything. And so the second that she went after my public image was the second that I said, Okay, no more, you know, mister nice guy, no more, you know, trying to extend the olive branch, like I will fight fire with fire in order to you know, get you to understand that you you mess with the wrong person, that you shouldn't have done this to me.
Speaker 2: Again, I didn't want her to go public, but.
Speaker 3: When she did and then we found out very quickly about the other victims, that's when it hit me that it had to go public all along, because they were victims that you know, we're waiting or hoping and we're desperate for justice. And you know, with me getting pulled into the mix, yes, I have a bit of a following people that watched the show and are rallying behind me. And that's what it's all about. This support system that I've had along the way.
Speaker 2: It's the only.
Speaker 3: Reason why they are the main driver as to why we have a podcast now. Why things have pushed as far as to happen. I mean, we had hundreds of letters being written to the county attorney to get to pick this case up. And I know that that was a massive driving force towards her taking it up because she's getting hundreds of messages. She had to address it in a hearing one day. She said, Hey, guys, I'm getting your messages. You know, we're on top of this.
Speaker 2: And so it's it's the internet, sleuth, it's the audience.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: That's what's going and that's why accountability is right.
Speaker 2: In front of us.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Stephanie, I just can't imagine what you're doing with the average everyday person, because in reality, each of us we see ourselves in this story. It may not be Clayton's exact story, but something has happened in our own, on our own path that says, oh my god, if I would have done this, if I wouldn't have done this. Now everybody knows something that really I thought I was going to keep as a secret.
Speaker 5: And I think that that's why this story really resonates with a lot of people, because there are so many sensitive topics in it, and there's a lot of topics in this podcast that a lot of people have dealt with on a personal level and can relate to those things. And then having to see someone go through this at the level that they have gone through this in this podcast really kind of takes you back to those moments in your own life.
Speaker 1: I got to ask you a question, Clayton. With Stephanie knowing so much of this story, do you put her up on the stand this coming July? I mean, because she knows the freaking story here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, that's that's not my decision to make.
Speaker 3: But I would say that if the you know, lawyers felt that she, you know, could be a very great help, which, of course, yes, she knows more than most people. I mean, she knows inside the mind of me as well, and so uh yeah, she would absolutely be an integral part of you know, her testimony could be could be massive.
Speaker 2: I also just don't make those rules.
Speaker 3: And so if my lawyers feel that, you know, she she's she's going to be a great help, then of course I know that we would love to have her help out. She's already helped out greatly just by running this podcast.
Speaker 1: Your process. Stephanie amazes me because you. You really do come across as somebody who you land the information, But there's a side of your personality that still says I need to do a dummy check. I got to go back in and look one more time.
Speaker 4: Is that you?
Speaker 1: Because that's what I feel, that's who you are. You nailed it.
Speaker 5: There's like I said, there's so many people that follow along with this case and know every single fact. So for me, when I put this podcast out, one of the things that I was really stuck on was that I have to double and triple fact check everything because these people know the story in and out and if I get it wrong, they are going to let me know. So the fact checking process has been one of the most cumbersome parts of this story.
Speaker 1: Wow, where can people go to find out more about you, Clayton, to give you some love, to find out all sides of this story and so they can grow with you. And the same is true about you, Steph. So I would love to find out how both of how people can find out about both of you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll jump on here first.
Speaker 3: Look, the easiest way is I streamline everything through Instagram. It's my handle is my first and last name. Clayton acker last name Echard.
Speaker 2: You go on there.
Speaker 3: I have a website that's where I put everything. So anything that I'm doing in my life is going to be found through my Instagram, So I keep it simple with me.
Speaker 4: Find simple.
Speaker 5: My Instagram is I'm Stephanie Young. Stephanie has no e on the end of it, which is a strange spelling, but it ends with an eye. So I'm Stephanie Young on instag And if you want to follow along for podcast updates, obviously follow like subscribe on any of your podcast platforms, including the iHeartRadio app, and also follow at Glass Podcasts for Instagram updates on the podcast as well.
Speaker 1: For the two of you, we know what the story is, we know what the SoundBite you've got. I'm currently working on a series where it's like, I know the ending. I want to get to the ending as quickly as possible, but you can't. You've got to have that timing down. How are you guys dealing with that? You know what's going to be in this podcast? We listeners. We haven't gotten it yet.
Speaker 3: Yes, definitely, I mean I can jump in a little bit there and all that Stuffanie take the lead on this one, you know, Yeah, while we know what's all in here, it's more about, Yeah, the audience thinking they have all they know a lot of them, but they don't realize all the emails. There have been so many unreleased emails that we dive into. There's there's so many, so much psychology behind it as far as the victims, how they felt, and that has not been released yet to the public. So there's there's still there's a ton that goes into this. Again, I think what people know has just scratched the surface, and Stephanie obviously takes everybody deeper down below to see what else lies below the water.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and there's also certainly interviews with people that haven't really spoken publicly about this before, So I think you're going to hear a different perspective from some of the interviews as well.
Speaker 1: I took that as I'm going to see you on season two. That's exactly what I just felt in that moment.
Speaker 4: I hope, so, I sure hope.
Speaker 1: So Well, please come back to this show anytime in the future. The door is always going to be open for you.
Speaker 4: Well, thank you so much, Thank you so much. It was great to be here.
Speaker 1: Will you guys be brilliant today, Okay you as well.
Speaker 4: Thank you