Speaker 1: All right, we continue on Fred Rogan Rodney Pete on five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 2: Let it this hour.
Speaker 1: Vick will be along. It'll have the always dramatic and exciting haikup. We'll need the spirituality to prepare us for this weekend with so much going on. And a reminder if you are just jumping on, we are giving away Dodger tickets. We will give a pair away this hour. Give you a queue to call, have an opportunity to go out to the stadium and watch the Boys in Blue. We will do that between now and three o'clock. And one other housekeeping note. Do you have the iHeart app? You should download it. You should have the app for two reasons. A, if you miss any part of the program, you can go on back and listen to it. Go on back listen to any part of the program you miss. Adam will put it up the minute we get off the air. The podcast is there, so feel free to do that. And more importantly, if you have the app, you can take the show wherever you go. You can just stream it live. You never have to be away from us, and we never have to be away from you. I mean, it's not like you're married and your wife wants you out of the house. Anyway, we don't look at it that way. We look at it this way. We need to be with you, So get the app and be a part of the program. All right, a man who has the app and every device known de man kind out at Dodger Stadium right now. Let's welcome in, David Vasse and Dave.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon, Rodney.
Speaker 4: Thank god you're back. It's so much more pleasurable to listen to the show and come on the show when you're there.
Speaker 1: Wow, Dave, you're actually being nice to me. He was actually nice to me when you weren't here. So I don't know how I got lumped into the bad side again.
Speaker 2: David.
Speaker 4: Well, that's my barbecue, brother. It's the Rogan and Rodney show. It's not the Rogan and Still in the Blank show.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, I don't think you have to do that. Okay, David, Here we go Cleveland in town. But let's just let's go over a couple of things. Number one, the bone bruise on Clayton Kershaw's big toe. How bad do you think you'll pitch again this year?
Speaker 4: Yes, of course he will pitch again this year. It's turf toe. Rodney, I'm sure has experienced or had teammates experience it. He's probably in a walking boot when nobody else sees him. He doesn't want to look vulnerable out on the field in front of other players and media. So I feel like he will pitch again, and they kind of need him to pitch again because the starting pitching is extremely thin as we speak right now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, very thin, Dave. How much does that concern you? And then as we go into the rest of this month and leading in October, what do you what do you think the rotation will be like once we start the playoffs.
Speaker 2: I know it's hard to judge, but man, is what do you think it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a great question, Rodney. I'm not sure anybody can answer that question right now because so many guys are possibilities and not certainties. And you look at even a guy like Gavin Stone, who has made more starts and pitched more innings than any other pitcher on the staff, He's never been this far in his professional career. Are we certain that he's not going to have any bumps along the way? So all I could say, Rodney is right now the biggest thing you could say about this Dodger team, which has a great lineup. Everybody's healthy in that department. The biggest vulnerability is they're pitching. And I feel like that's just a fact. I'm not trying to poke holes in anything here, but if you had to pick one thing that makes the Dodgers vulnerable to start the postseason, it's their pitching.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 5: And because it feels like the offense has kind of found their way, Dave, especially the top three as they've been healthy for the last few weeks. The top three, and then you know, you throw in Max Monzy, will Smith seems of getting it back to Oscar has been ta Oscar all season long. It feels like the offense is going to take care of itself. But it is that that's that's starting pitching. And you you mentioned this to us that you know, Yamamoto has kind of been more ready than than.
Speaker 2: We actually knew he was ready.
Speaker 5: How do you feel about him going into you know, the rest of this month and into the postseason. He's going to be a major factor, is and and talk about his help.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well that's why the Dodgers signed him to the richest contract of any major league pitcher in the history of the game. Rodney right to be a difference maker, not in May, but in October. So I'm curious to see what version of Yamamoto we get in our first look back off the I L on Tuesday Night, and whether or not he's able to build upon it. Like Walker bwer has recently, they need Yamamoto. That that's what the Dodgers set out to do this offseason, to be in a better position with their starting pitching than they were when their season ended last year. And there's an argument to be made. Even Dave Roberts said this on the record, it may not be even as good as last year with all the injuries and question marks surrounding the rotation.
Speaker 1: All right, Dave, Bobby Miller, he'll go back at it again next week. I think that's a pretty important start for him as they try to make decisions about the roster for the postseason.
Speaker 2: What do you think?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I agree, Fred. I feel like right now Bobby Miller would be on the outside looking when it comes to being part of the playoff roster. I think that's the furthest thing that anybody can talk about when it comes to Bobby. He hasn't shown any signs that he belongs in a playoff game, So yeah, I feel like it's a big start to prove that maybe he's back on track. But the facts are he's got to be smarter with his pitches, and there is no doubt that he's still dealing with a left knee issue that's affecting a lot in my opinion, So you're talking about somewhat of a wounded pitcher that is trying to go out there and be there for the team.
Speaker 5: Hey, Dave, do you think that there will be when it's all said and done we start to playoffs, a definitive closer or it will be more situational, whether it be trying to you know, Phillip, whoever it may be. Do you think it's some Is it someone that's going to be clear cut the actual closer or situational?
Speaker 4: Now I feel like it's going to be a situational thing, Rodney. If you go back and look at different teams that have won the World Series recently, there hasn't been too many that have had their dedicated closer in the regular season be the last man standing. So I think everybody goes to whoever's hot and whoever's going to get the job done. But obviously Michael Kopek's been an immense improvement over what they've had at the back end of their bullpen. And it's Evan Phillips bobblehead night tomorrow. So you hope Evan can continue to be a good, reliable reliever for the Dodgers that have a lot of guys that have a lot of miles on their arms.
Speaker 1: Dave I made the point last week with Chris Taylor. I think he's in like two to eighty since July twenty. If he's getting more opportunities. You follow the club, you see him every day. Do you see him earning more time and not just to find out what he's about.
Speaker 4: He'll get time against lefties. I don't see him getting time outside of that because Gavin Lux has been really good. So he'll spot start against lefti's and he'll come off the bench against lefties. Because of the way Gavin Lux has emerged, there's really nobody else to really take out other than if you have Tommy Edmond at shortstop and you want to go with more offense, you might have Chris Taylor in center field. If the matchup dictates it, but honestly, it's more about the rest of the players and Chris Taylor contributing in those ways. Like you said, Fred, I've been saying on Dodger Talk with everybody calling for Chris Taylor head. If you look at his last twenty six games before going on the IL, he had an eight hundred ohps and his strikeout rate was down to twenty one percent. Just to put it in context for you, strikeout rates, the average is twenty five to twenty seven percent this season, so he's even below the league average.
Speaker 5: Dave, do you see you mentioned Tommy Edmunds. You see him being the shortstop going into the postseason or is it Mickey Rojas or is it situational right left? I mean, I know he's technically a switch hitter, meaning edmund But who do you see being the the regular shortstop going into the post Heedon, I think.
Speaker 4: The way we've seen it, Rodney Edmund in center, Miguel Rojas for the majority of the games, and if there's a lefty on the mound, then I think you're still going to see Edmund in center and Rojas age short. If there's a righty on the Mound. I think there's an argument to be me that you'll see both in the lineup.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 4: I feel like if you need to win a game, you're going to have those two guys in the lineup, and that's been the way the Dodgers have played it. The only time maybe you've seen Edmond at shortstop is to give Rojas a day off.
Speaker 1: Gotcha Cleveland in town tonight, Dave started the series against the quality opponent. As we continue down this road, I think it's better the Dodgers play good teams and bad to be quite honest with you, to get them ready.
Speaker 2: Do you agree.
Speaker 4: Well, we said that last year as well. I think what's pushing the Dodgers is being this close in a Pennant race or a division race than they have been since twenty twenty one. I think that's what's pushing the Dodgers to stay on their game and have the urgency to play through the finish line rather than just coasting for the entire month, more so than the pitcher they're facing or the team they're facing. And by the way, the Guardians have been one of the worst teams in baseball since the All Star breaks, so they're catching a team that was not as good as they were in the first half. I'm sure you already knew that, Fred.
Speaker 5: Fred, Yeah, Fred knew that for sure, for sure. Dave, you you talked about this, and we.
Speaker 4: Talked he is a Cleveland guy.
Speaker 5: Back down inside. We we talked about that and just motivation for different guys.
Speaker 2: And we saw that the other night.
Speaker 5: Uh, you know, Otani gets walked and Mooki comes up and hits the home run, and he talked about, Hey, you know, regardless, you understand it's the right baseball play, but at the same time, you feel as a player you're being disrespected and and it felt it was a little special for me to hit the home run, you know, at that at that moment, do you feel like this is kind of where they're gonna stay with this lineup? Because we had talked earlier, possibly Moki who's back to the lead off and then Otani goes the second. But given kind of what's happened lately, do you think that the Dodgers and Dave Roberts stay with this lineup?
Speaker 4: Rodney, there's no chance the Dodgers go back to Mookie Beds leading off and Otani hitting behind him. It's just been so dynamic this way. And I know Otani's batting average has not been that great the second half of the season, but he is getting on base, and he is getting into scoring position. And the facts are Mookie Betts is the best Dodger hitter this season with runners in scoring position. He's hitting three seventy seven this year with runners in scoring position, And you want him at the plate with Otani at second base or even at third base, because Otani has been a stolen based threat, obviously going for fifty stolen bases, Muki does not bring that to the table at this point in time in his career. So I was wrong about wanting Mooki to remain in the lead off spot for the mere fact that he's coming up a lot with runners in scoring position, right, and I want him at the plate in those situations, and Otani a lot of times is that player is that runner in scoring position for him?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I agree that that was the same way you and I were on the same page with that that I thought that Mookie should go back to the ladoff spot. But the more I've looked at it and seen it in these last few weeks, Otani gets on base, he steals second, he's at second base, or he's at third base, or even more than that. What happened the other night is teams are i guess more afraid of him, and they tend to maybe walk him if there's an open base at first, and it brings Mooki back up. So I'm with you that they got to stay the way it's going right now because it seems to work best for them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, no doubt. And even in Arizona they did not put up four fingers, but they certainly pitched around Otani to get to Muki. He did not deliver in that particular at that but he is going to have a lot of opportunity. He's moving forward, all right.
Speaker 2: Dave, thanks for jumping on. Really appreciate it today.
Speaker 4: Okay, guys, have a great weekend. Great to have you back, Rodney.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave.
Speaker 1: Where was our buddy David Vasse? We are giving away Dodger tickets this hour. We'll give you a cue to call, and when you get that opportunity, jump in here and win. We need spirituality, oh do we gotta have it? Kind of short changed Vic a little bit yesterday, so we're gonna hook him up today and that's.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Come on winding it down on a Friday. Finish this strong, Rodney Pete, Fred Rogan, Yes, come on, Freddy, let's do this.
Speaker 1: Let's that's the spirituality. Come on one man to provide that. It's take the break with the daily coup. Come on, Vic, let's go vi.
Speaker 3: His new mantra.
Speaker 6: It's okay, Jose Dodgers will be all right, Fred Rogan, That's been my mantra.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you vacillate, Fred.
Speaker 2: Nepper. Well, if you want to look at it like that, all right.
Speaker 6: USC retired Caleb Williams number thirteen has Troy retired Rodney Peach's number. Runner up for the Heisman Trophy, Johnny Unitas Award winner most Elusive Trojan Quarterback will beat you with both his arm and his legs. Setting the tone for Caleb Rodney peat Ah.
Speaker 5: Now that damn Barry Sanders kept my jerseys from being retired. There, Victor Brigg until they do and retire, then Johnny Uniteds Award winners Carson Palmer, me Matt Leoner. Then I will still be war at USC with the carlong and go.
Speaker 2: But I'm okay with that.
Speaker 5: Congratulations Caleb and congratulations Reggie Bush because they're putting his up in the in the end zone as well, finally putting number five up there because he deserves it.
Speaker 6: One a night at the Collige tomorrow as they crush Utah States. Yeah, he's into Kevin Figures and he's producing his talk us off double a Adam Auslin.
Speaker 7: Shah, Fred Vasilein's I mean vacillates, y'all.
Speaker 2: Vassolines.
Speaker 6: And his tunes are off the Hook's.
Speaker 3: Got a retired poncho. It's King Flavor.
Speaker 6: Yeah, watch for the poncho to be the new autumnal fashion statement. Just my prediction, you're gonna see Taylor Swift rocking some poncho. I'm telling you one of the great accessories of all time NFL National Football League. First off, before we break down some of the games, how about to make your game day epic video?
Speaker 3: How off the Hook is this?
Speaker 6: Pepsi gladiate a musical theme with Fred, your girl Meghan the Stallion righte Stallion Ride oh Man with Travis Kelcey, Derrick Henry, Justin, Jefferson, Josh Allen playing off that back in the day NFL promo Remember twenty years ago the Roman Empire theme with Beyonce, Britney Spears and Pink Ye mean Megan thee you go get you some, get you some. Raven's Chiefs Man instant classico from Arrowhead brother Bob's prediction he missed it by a toe. He loved the Ravens with three and a half, and the game boiled down to that final play Lamar to Isaiah likely touchdown.
Speaker 2: Just a toe, Vic, just a toe.
Speaker 3: It's just a toe.
Speaker 6: And you know John Harbaw is going for the two point conversion. Yes, and I was saying, hold on to your tail of swift thigh high red boots. Upon further review, out of bounds by that wacky toe, and the World Champions survived the Ravens by seven.
Speaker 3: Your what with a fabulous debut.
Speaker 6: But the Chiefs rookie speed merchants Avi air Worthy couple of touchdowns Tyreek.
Speaker 2: Who Yeah, that guy was fast a blur.
Speaker 6: How about you see that rookie running back worthy feel the worthy worthy? You just plug him into the ending Reid offense. Man he takes place. How about you cla rookie running back with Casey cars him steel with the alligator flavor. He rushed for three yards, but his pet reptile stole the show.
Speaker 2: No alligator flavor.
Speaker 3: Alligator flavor.
Speaker 2: That alligator got big since the days at UCLA.
Speaker 6: Those alligators will grow. Remember when brother Bob and Florida I was I was five years old. Brother Bob's living in Florida. Back in the day, you could send alligators through the mail. So my brother Bob sent me a baby alligator. Oh no, of course, of course, flushed down the toilet, promptly by mother Sarah Jacobs.
Speaker 3: No alligators in.
Speaker 2: The house, Sarah said, no, flushed.
Speaker 3: It down the toilet. That was That was a big crazy.
Speaker 6: Theme that there was giant alligators in the sewers of New York because so many kids had their baby alligators.
Speaker 3: There was a movie on it, vic right, title Alligator.
Speaker 2: I thought that was a true story too, Vic. It was, You're to blame.
Speaker 6: Me and thousands of young New York kids getting their baby alligators from Florida.
Speaker 2: Gotta called Troy Landry come get them gators.
Speaker 6: Well, fellas, I'm very pumped for bolts Raiders from so far on Sunday plot that Iniegro three and a half point dogs. My brother Bob ninety three years fresh creative and free rock in the free world in Fort Lauderdale. He's a pigskin prophet. We huddled this morning. Brother Bob loves the charges.
Speaker 2: Brother Bob loves the charges.
Speaker 3: The Jim Harbaugh era of blue collar bliss.
Speaker 2: It is on y'all.
Speaker 6: But Will Harbaugh's vital energy ooze through the fifty three? Can his secret source of selflessness translate to twenty twenty four NFL and I say.
Speaker 3: Yes, Harbor can see ZAD football as football.
Speaker 6: Ground and pound is Etertley.
Speaker 2: Wants a crownd and ground and pound on this crown wants grounded pound.
Speaker 1: Woh ground and pound on these Dodger tickets eight six, six, nine, eighty seven two five seventy Rodney, who's one of the tickets that house?
Speaker 2: Oh number?
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, come on, let's finish strong Rodney, Pete, Fred Rogan Vic the brick Jacobs.
Speaker 1: Come on your tickets and a chance to win uh that automatically qualifies you for the chance to win a show. Hey Tony Jersey for another chance to win a Jersey, log on a five to seventy LA sports dot Com fifty to fifty chance to win on air and online, brought you by the Dodgers Clubhouse Store. Get your custom jerseys and more today at the Dodgers Clubhouse Store.
Speaker 3: Vic let's face Jim Harbaugh.
Speaker 6: His philosophy as redefine the grind. They're gonna dominate the trenches this year.
Speaker 3: And listen.
Speaker 6: If they don't, you want to face Jim Harbor or after the game, forget about it. The quarterback Justin Herbert says, plant off fasciitis. This his foot is one hundred percent healed. But the big praygunta for the charges. Where are Justin's weapons? Everybody says, who are the playmakers? Where are the whiteouts? Harbaugh says, my offensive line is my lethal weapon. Rookie Joe Ault will be blocking the Raiders sack master Max Crosby on Sunday. You got to got to win ugly, run the ball with Dobbins and Edwards and move the chain. Jim Harbaugh my pick for coach of the Year in the NFL. And the Bolts will shock the world as they make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Hey you there verberating with you guys there it is you. You announced it. You heard it here first, mom, maybe somebody else has said it.
Speaker 6: Well, don't thgure we bring it the game on our sister station ALT ninety eight seven one oh five Kick with Matt money Smith on the call. From so far, it's going to be a sensational game. How about Rams Lions revenge for Matthew Stafford as g guff beat the Rams in the wild card game last year, So the Rams a long time to marinate in those nice and bitter juices.
Speaker 3: But remember they.
Speaker 6: Picked off all pro Lions guard Jonah Jackson, Rodney kN Jackson enlightening his new squad on the Lions.
Speaker 5: Offense, maybe maybe maybe.
Speaker 3: Reveal some secrets.
Speaker 6: No Jonah Jackson, He's an X factor, but no Aaron Donald. And who will fill the great void in the defensive interior? Well, lots of Rams are playing some ferocious d and their rookies in training camp Jared Vers, Brandon Fisk, very hungry, they got a crazy high motor. Dan Campbell's crew four and a half point favorites. I think the Lions are going to handle their business at Ford Field by seven.
Speaker 2: Okay, that place is a.
Speaker 6: Frenzy Rodney, you know you played there. I mean, no, Aaron Donald, that's going to be so wacky and so so cookie.
Speaker 3: Not seeing the great a d.
Speaker 2: Well. He hasn't been there during the preseason either.
Speaker 6: Sorely missed. But then again, you know, mcveigh's an incredible coach. You know shul Up the new defensive coordinator. He's got a plan. Listen, no one thought the Rams were going to make the playoffs last year. They were the shocker and the playoffs and came within a few heartbeats of beating the Lions at Ford Field.
Speaker 3: So listen, it's game one. Let's have some fun. How about the boys in Brazil tonight?
Speaker 6: Eagles, Packers brother Bob, Brother Bob loves the Packers in South.
Speaker 2: Bowlow oh oh, he loves the Packers.
Speaker 3: Cousin Josh Jacobs now running for the pack.
Speaker 2: I don't know, I'm kind of feeling the Eagles in Brazil there.
Speaker 6: Vict Well, my brother says, the Eagles minds are on the bikinis of Epima. Oh, they're not totally focused on the game.
Speaker 2: Fred doesn't know about Epima.
Speaker 6: I've not been the great beach of trust me now, sing me the song Vic, Sing me the song Vic.
Speaker 3: The girls from Epanima there, it is.
Speaker 6: That that that that that that that that the girls.
Speaker 3: Come on, Vic, come on there, she flows.
Speaker 2: Come on, she goes, Come on, Vic, Ah, come on.
Speaker 6: Now, I say, Eagles Packers enjoyed this once in a lifetime opportunity to.
Speaker 2: Be a man. You know they have military police protecting.
Speaker 5: Them so much, and well they should.
Speaker 3: They can be in Philly, They'll be protected, right Rodney.
Speaker 5: Hey, they need to be protected in Philly too, exactly like I just singing girl from Epanima.
Speaker 3: Holly got the Brazilian flavor.
Speaker 4: Hold on, Vic, hey, Holly, hey, fred Vic please sing to me.
Speaker 2: Oh God, go ahead.
Speaker 3: And sing to us, and Pete we bow down. You are the goddess. You are the goddess.
Speaker 2: She wants you to sing. Vic sing, Vick, I missed you. Did you sing girl from.
Speaker 3: Well? I did it a cappella.
Speaker 6: I didn't really have any musical accompaniments, and I'm trying to, you know, think back to the one of the greatest songs ever done, Victor.
Speaker 2: Oh, just do it again. Come on, Vic, give me a little bit, just do it again.
Speaker 7: The girlfriend Banimo comes slowly and she's rolling past me on the beach and she says.
Speaker 6: Oh, well, but I love it Arecado love you Vic, love your Holly, thank you.
Speaker 3: Wow, Holly Robinson Pete what a cameo?
Speaker 2: Love wow, Vick Wow, sing it for the house a right.
Speaker 3: Love it anything for Holly?
Speaker 2: You know that right on? And I gotta tell you, Holly looks like a gazillion buck.
Speaker 5: Yeah, getting ready to go to work though, Vic and Freddie, Yeah, we You don't say I don't look like a million bucks.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I'm not in the makeup chair yet, but I gotta get it here.
Speaker 1: So I gotta tell you you don't look remotely close as good as.
Speaker 2: I gotta tell you. Wow, she looked.
Speaker 6: Good forever young, for the the eyes of a child.
Speaker 3: That's how you maintain. And that's for Rodney Pete.
Speaker 6: Man, everything's fresh, Yeah, creative, fresh and fresh. You know, look at my brother Bob ninety three, rock in the free world.
Speaker 5: All three of us know we got to keep it young and keep it strong, keep our ladies.
Speaker 2: You know how it.
Speaker 6: Goes, Vic, That's how that's how we roll, Yeah, baby, and Fred you know how we roll into the source.
Speaker 1: Oh good, Vic, I didn't have to bring it out perfect outstanding.
Speaker 6: As we celebrate the National Football League's opening weekend and the Bolts and the Raiders and the Rams usc tomorrow night, UCLA next Saturday night against Indiana in their first Big ten taste ten on Big ten case just sounds weird, No does very much. Ten ucla Indiana from the Rose Bowl next Saturday.
Speaker 1: But I like seeing that big ten logo on their jerseys. I think that looks cool.
Speaker 3: Very cool.
Speaker 6: The USC man Robbie, when was the last time USC jumped ten ten spots in a pole?
Speaker 2: After the long time, long time ten big.
Speaker 6: Spots they jumped after the LSU game. It was unbelievable. But this high coup for you on this Friday, September fifth, and it comes from Waqiu w a k r u wak q and the under the radars en master Waquiu dropping the high coup for you today out of Japan. The patter of the rain, the gurgling water, brooks all say, Autumn is away again.
Speaker 3: The NFL s awake again. The autumn wind is a raider. I'm feeling you all right.
Speaker 2: That wasn't really a little bit now that that wasn't even.
Speaker 1: A little enhancement, Fred, love it, love it, Love it all right, Ronnie, great week, Thank you, Adam, terrific job filling in for Kevin. As always, Rodney, have a great weekend and we get a Monday, Yes, sir,