Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to the India Today Business Todo's studio here at the World Economic Forum in Sami and joining me now Chellas Nava Salusti, the Chairman of the State Bank of India, mister city a very warm welcome. We need all the warmth here in our studios here, but thank you for making the time and the backdrop of this conversation. This first question that I really want to ask you is that the world is in trade turmoil. There are geopolitical shocks every two days or every day. A CEO all across the world wakes up, reads the headlines and then figures out what is going to happen to his business in all of this turmoil. One key message that keeps sticking out, also from foreign CEOs is India's resilience, political stability and the maturity of its fiscal, monetary and administrative policies. How do you yourself see the current uh you know, situation of India visa vither of the globe.
Speaker 2: First of all, thank you Verma Sad for having me on your show India. I think this resilient India story is talk of dours you know this time and even the last year when we were here while geopolitical disruptions, tariff related issues, trade dislocations, all of them have put a lot of pressure across the globe and India has no exception. But the way India managed in terms of fiscal prudence, in terms of ensuring that you know, sufficient liquidity is there in the system, and some of the heavy lifting done with the Government of India in terms of supporting the infrastructure. So all of them indicate. Even if you see the latest IMF estimates, our own estimate also puts India's GDP growth around seven point five percent. I think it's a it's a very resilient story. And I see that both the calendar A twenty six and twenty seven paying out very well for India. Banking system is robust and we expect that the government continues to have the prudential fiscal management and that gives us confidence that the India's resilience story continues.
Speaker 1: If we take two thousand and eight as the cutoff here from there, we have seen every few years there is a global shock which then has some amount of impact on India, some spillovers. In two thousand and eight, there was a great decoupling theory that we used to talk about it before that. I want to follow up your observation that given the current global context, is there any spillower risk that we also need to keep in mind with regard to the Indian economy.
Speaker 2: So the interconnectedness as increased over the years. If you really see twenty ten decoupling story did not play out as much as we wanted. Right, we were also impacted and we had undertaken one of the largest cleanup in the banking system in terms of acid quality reviews and recapitalization of the public sector banks. But in the last decade, what we have seen is that the lot of legislative measures, a lot of fiscal measures, and also in terms of the strengthening of the banking system, both from a regulatory side as well as the banking management side, has made I think India, I don't. I can't use the word that the decoupled from the rest of the world, but I think much more, as we mentioned right in the beginning, much more resilient to handle this disruptions c.
Speaker 1: Our re engagement with global trade. But in a different context. Over the last few years, we are pursuing currently in conversations for more than a dozen trade deals. Some have reached fruition, A big one with the European Union is perhaps around the corner. The United States is work in progress. What does this mean for Indian industry in terms of newer opportunities and for a lender of your size and stature, how do you intend to support the momentum that this kind of new trade engagement is likely to generate?
Speaker 2: So new trade engagements? You know, the way India are pursued to have these free trade agreements to pursue something which is win win is not that you know you are giving away something or not giving away at all. That approach has now more to a more pragmatic approach that what kind of trade facilitation can be done while using the FDAs is still in the hands of the industries. Right, the committantly can have a freated agreement, but how do you use that FTA is up to the industries and I'm sure that the industry bodies are working on that. And also, if you see, the free DAID agreements also had helped us in terms of geographical diversification of the trade. Not necessarily that you are and one particular country are a group of countries. You are highly dependent on export oriented activities. Now we see that much more diversification happening. There is one part and as the trade finance part, we still we are the largest trade finance provider to the Indian industries today. Out of my ninety billion dollar overseas book, almost thirty billion twenty five to twenty seven billion dollar is a trade book and predominantly funding the Indian corporates accessing the overseas trade finance.
Speaker 1: That's a very significant number and point that you have shared with us.
Speaker 2: You know, you.
Speaker 1: Spoke about our high growth rate seven point five percent, inflation at pretty much historic lows. The monetary system has responded. RBA has eased rates, liquidity support has been provided. What's your base case for the cost of capital going forward for pretty much every class of borrowers in India.
Speaker 2: So the policy rate cards almost one hundred and twenty five dis point in the last two to fifteen months has helped the softening of the interest rates on the loan side, whether it is a retail loans or corporate loans. Broadly, I think there is a softening on the corporate side. There's still you know, we have a concept of mclr right. The marginal cost has not come down as much as we wanted, our the industry wants, mainly because I think the cost of deposits have remained more or less sticky. So there is a good growth as an indicate that industry level good credit growth and deposit growth is slightly lagging, which is putting pressure on banks to not to cut the interest rates as much as they desire to on the deposits. So this having said that, I think some of the monitor measures on the fiscal measures are helping to achieve a good credit growth which I believe is sustainable, maybe in the range of twelve to fourteen percent. The system leveled credit growth coeres.
Speaker 1: On the deposit side. And I'm not asking you this as an sbas specific question, but broadly speaking, at the macro level, at the policy level, is there something that you feel needs to be done, because I would say, and you are the expert on this, that it seems to be that there is a bit of a structural break with the past behavior of fixed deposits, although by quantum they still remain the largest, there is a trend shift that seems to be happening. So does the system need to respond differently.
Speaker 2: I'm sure. So that's many a time I spoke on this. The structural shift which you mentioned is definitely happening, and as the economy is mature and the households individual's ability to access various non banking financial same instruments, this structural shift is definitely here to stay. How banks have to structure their balance sheets now with this, in my view, I think the shift is almost irreversible. There could be some flows happening aong their equity market is doing well, there will larger flows. If not doing well, smaller flows, but flows definitely will be there. If you see the bank deposit go one x, the mutual fund go through three x, right, so, which means that the banks probably have to access the markets more in terms of funding their asset growth. Some of these money which is moving to pension funds, mutual funds, insurance definitely has to come back to the real economy and support the banks raising the capital, particularly from the dead capital market.
Speaker 1: So going forward in twenty twenty six, what is the biggest challenge to sustain the strong credit growth momentum the numbers that you also gave, is it a demand or tightness in funding, what would you say will be required to keep it sustained for the foreseable future.
Speaker 2: One is Indian economy is all about domestic consumption and domestic investment story. Well, we do want to have export markets, and service exports are doing very well and merchandise exports are also picking up, and so it is broadly the domestic consumption and domestic investment story, which means that the credit growth broadly coming from the domestic consumption. Even if the corporates have to invest, they would like to see sustained domestic consumption. So the first part is whether this consumption demand is going to be sustained. In our view, our house views that is going to be sustained. And number two, adequate liquidity in the banking system. I'm very glad to share. I think the RBI always have been assuring us and also ensuring that system liquidity is adequately provided for. These are the two major things. And while global disruptions and the narratives will keep happening, I think for India these two important things are there. And while fiscal management continues to be the bedrock of inin econ.
Speaker 1: That's a very good point and it's clear that not just from the monetary policy side, but also from the fiscal policy side. We've seen a massive support to consumption. The JST cuts were unprecedented and we had income tax rationalization. Also there is a string of reforms. I want to ask you a broader question on reforms again. Twenty twenty five very clearly a big year for reforms. Prime Mister Modi has indicated that path will continue in twenty twenty six. So you know, we started this conversation with a broader thing. What's your own belief about the reform story of India and how you expected to pan out.
Speaker 2: So I was just listening to the Minister yesterday in your India Today conversation. I think one point which we all must recognize that a lot of rationalization of the regulations and loss compliance burdened on the industry is sought to be reduced. Labor codes is again is a big reform which has been there for in discussion for a long time. And now the way the industry has taken and re orienting its deliver policies to suit the courts is a very very important development in my view. So the reforms objective of the Government of India is to ensure that he is of doing business and also give confidence to the investors that this one country which will continue on the reform's path. But if I have to really ask one thing I think we have also been mentioning from our house point of view is that while the fiscal prudence is there on the Government of India side, the same level of prudence has to come on the state level states because the states have to play an important roles. And I see that almost nine major states representing in douvos presenting their industrial policies and investment climate is very good development in our view.
Speaker 1: Cercactly Again a broader question and this I want you to explain to our viewers who are for years now been sponding to and listening to answers on the question of private KPEX cycle. Recently, when I put this question to someone, he said, we need to relook at this. There may not be investment going into old sectors which are well established. A lot of money is going into newer sectors, including for example, data centers.
Speaker 2: There is FDI.
Speaker 1: Also, Adesh alone, for example, has signed up for twenty two percent of all commitments in FDA that have happened in the past one year. How would you explain the private KPX cycle right now?
Speaker 2: I think the conventional way of looking at the private capex cycle needs to be changed. And also some of these industries what you mentioned are capital intensive and the capital is not necessarily coming from the dead capital. There's a lot of capitalists flowing into these sectors while we have very strong pipe and we keep mentioning about the pipeline, and the pipeline is coming from various sunrise sectors. Some of them are not truly sunrise in the sense that they've been there for some time, like renewables, they're seeing pickup there, data centers as you mentioned, and we see even green hydrogen, and you know, many of these activities not necessarily funded by dead capital people. And also some of these excess cache is cash flows what they have they're using on the capital expenditure. I think we need to like we have identified eight core sunrise sectors today and we are setting up a center of excellence which will be inaugurated on the thirty first, And this also shows that our focus will continue to be on the conventional industry is steal cement roads will continue to be there. The future of capital expenditure, the private capital expenditure is going to be in these sunrise sectors. You yeah, I may not be immediately able to do that, but I think we are looking at green hydrogen, semiconductors, data centers, renewers will continue to be one of the focus areas. So these are some of the things, you know, which we will be focusing on. And here in these eight sectors, we are not only developing industry best practices in financing, we are developing you know, capacity building for funding them in case if any capital requirement is there. We have currently around twenty five partners partner banks which are side u with SBI, where we will be helping them to understand and also engage with the industry that what exactly they're looking for the financing those sectors in a manner of which probably will have to be looked at differently.
Speaker 1: Absolutely because new sectors also mean a new kind of risk which might not have been assessed and fact factored in. As we wind down the conversation, I and I ask you this every time I meet you. I interviewed you last year when you were one the cover of Business Today, I want to ask you this about the health of the banking system the broader macro story over the last ten years. If we say that India is resilient, if our economic engines are doing well, and we're very optimistic as a nation, the banking story is fundamental to that. Had the cleanup not happened, we would not have been where we are today. There is no doubt in my mind on that. As you look ahead, are you confident that there can never be any recurrence of such episodes? Again, there might be some sectoral risks that might come in due to certain kind of behavior, certain retail delinquency, But broadly saying one or two, three years, what kind of outline can you offer us on that topic.
Speaker 2: Icality is inherent nature of bank right, fundamental to that. But how best the banking industry today to handle those cycles? That's all about resilience. And we started the conversation with resilience and I'm glad that we are ending with the resilience. And if we have to say, I'm very confident that today banking in India globally, if the banking sector is doing very well, I think we are writing the benign asset quality cycle. Even if you keep that asset quality issues aside, capital buffers are strong now and the ability of the banks to assess the risk, both at the credit risk level and more importantly on the operational risk level is much more robust now. This is not come overnight. You know, we have invested in the technologies, digitalization and access to the data in Indian context is very important that you know how the underwriting is going to be taken up. And I'm very sure that at least for five years we may not have any challenges. Five years beyond five years is difficult to predict. But even if the cycles hit, I think banking industry is a much more robust position to handle them.
Speaker 1: One very final quick question, and this is your own sense of satisfaction and your observations with regard to Indian industry. You know, meeting up to the.
Speaker 2: Age of AI.
Speaker 1: AI is everywhere global corporations are doubling down on it. How do you see Indian industry matching up to this unprecedented technological change that is happening.
Speaker 2: So this conversation being technology being central to the agenda happens, you know when we meet the industry is in fact, I'm very glad that every conversation I have with industries, whether it is a manufacturing industry or even the service industry, the conversation is all about technology. And here in Dowers also the broader conversation, apart from whatever geopolitical issues we keep talking about, is all about technology and how you build the resilience systems both for your own internal processing as well as customer facing applications. I think the technological investments in India are significant now in the industry level, even in NBFC sector. A lot of digitalization is happening. But one area, if I have to call out, I think the technology investment in MSM is still a long way to go. Probably we may have to focus on that most more importantly, that they should not be technologically obscelistent, They should not face that kind of system and they should not become the weakest link in the strong chain.
Speaker 1: Absolutely strong chain is perhaps the final word and headline takeaway that I take from this conversation with the Chairman of State Bank of India, Sir, Thank you very much for your time with That is a wrap on this conversation.
Speaker 2: We'll see you again until then, goodbye,