Speaker 1: Have you ever paused, you know, to really think about what it takes to build the software as a service a sauce app from the ground up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's It's definitely more than just.
Speaker 1: Coding, right exactly, It's about architecting something wow.
Speaker 2: Robust, scalable, user friendly, the whole package.
Speaker 1: So today we're doing a deep dive. We've got this fantastic source, a really comprehensive guide on building sauce with Ruby on Rails seven.
Speaker 2: And our mission really is to cut through all the complexity. We want to pull out those key nuggets of knowledge, look at the modern tools, the best practices, you know, what makes Rails such a powerhouse for this kind of development.
Speaker 1: Right, and show you how to navigate it all without feeling well completely overwhelmed.
Speaker 2: Get ready for some aha moments, because we're going to demystify what goes into a production ready sauce app.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's start right at the beginning. Then laying the foundation. Rails has this famous philosophy convention over configuration. For folks listening who may be no development, what's the real like strategic edge you get from that when you're kicking off a.
Speaker 2: Sauce It's all about speed initial velocity. Rails is well, it's opinionated about speed. It hands you this pre defined logical structure right away. Your app canfig dB test folders, so you get productive almost instantly.
Speaker 1: Ah, so you're not stuck debating file structures for days exactly.
Speaker 2: You run Rails new and you've basically got a working app skeleton ready for a Hello World pretty much out of the box. It lets you focus on your business problem, not the framework.
Speaker 1: Setup that makes sense moves a lot of that initial churn. And when you are spinning up that new app, what are some of those first big setup choices, the ones that really mark the difference between a quick demo and something you'd actually deploy.
Speaker 2: Okay, first up database, This trips people up. Sometimes Rails defaults to skoy three, which is fine, super simple for getting started.
Speaker 1: But not for production.
Speaker 2: Generally, No, for real sauce, you'll almost certainly want Postgres School. It's just more robust handles, concurrent users, better advanced features like Jason in b stuff.
Speaker 1: You'll need later, so you'd specify that right at the start. YEP Rails New year app database postcrescool tells Rails what you intend to use from day one.
Speaker 2: Okay, database sorted. What about managing the code itself, especially if you have a team.
Speaker 1: Well, get is absolutely fundamental. That's probably obvious to most devs, but for Sauce. Its role in smooth team workflows, feature branching, quick rollbacks when things go wrong. It's crucial for maintaining speed.
Speaker 2: Insanity, and you'd host that somewhere like GitHub right.
Speaker 1: GitHub, bitbucket. Essential for collaboration and especially for keeping your code private.
Speaker 2: Got it? Now? Inside that new Reils app, there's the gem file. What are the sort of must have gems included right away? What problems are they solving?
Speaker 1: The gem file is like your recipe. You'll see pg in there if you chose postcres school. That's the connector. Puma is your web server handles the actual requests. It's fast, concurrent and a really important one now is import mafrails.
Speaker 2: What's the deal with that?
Speaker 1: One?
Speaker 2: Sounds modern?
Speaker 1: It is? It lets you use modern JavaScript yes modules directly in the browser without needing a complex build step like webpack or as build. It really simplifies front end asset management. Big win for developer experience and styling. That's gotten simpler too, hasn't it.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, tailwind CSS is basically built in now with Rail seven. It's a utility first CSS framework makes styling fast and consistent without writing tons of custom CSS. You build styles writing your HTML.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you've run Rails new, configured a few things. The source really stresses how fast you get something working. Can you walk us through that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty neat. You run Rails new, then Rail Server, and boom you've got a default Rails welcome page in your browser. Minutes tops just like that. Then the guide usually shows you making a tiny change at a route, a super simple controller action to display your own custom Hello World. It just hammers home how quick that feedback loop is with rails rapid iteration.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's talk. Testing often feels like a chore, But why is it so critical, especially for size right from the get go right.
Speaker 2: It's not just about finding bugs today, it's about building confidence. It's a safety net so when you refactor later or add new features, you can deploy without constantly worrying you broke something else. It actually speeds up long term development because you move faster when you're not afraid to change things.
Speaker 1: That's a great way to put it in. There are different kinds of tests.
Speaker 2: Right, Absolutely, you've got your model tests or unit tests, so they check small pieces in isolation, make sure a specific calculation is right for example. Then view tests and the big ones system tests.
Speaker 1: What does system tests do?
Speaker 2: They use tools like Capybara to actually simulate a user interacting with your app in a browser, clicking buttons, filling forms, the whole flow.
Speaker 1: Ah, so they test the whole stack together exactly.
Speaker 2: They're powerful, but they're also slow.
Speaker 1: To run, okay, so there's a trade off.
Speaker 2: Definitely, you use system tests for your most critical user paths, sign up, core feature usage, for edge cases or specific controller logic, you rely on faster controller or unit tests to get quick feedback makes sense.
Speaker 1: Any specific testing tools that are really indispensable here.
Speaker 2: I definitely mentioned simple cough. It shows your test coverage literally highlights which lines of code your tests are.
Speaker 1: Hitting, so you know what's not being tested precisely.
Speaker 2: And the other big one is VCR.
Speaker 1: VCR like the old video takes hah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the name's a bit retro, but it records external API calls like to stripe or get hub the first time your test runs them. Then on subsequent runs, it just plays back that recorded response.
Speaker 1: Ah, so your tests don't actually hit the live API.
Speaker 2: Every time exactly makes tests way faster, more reliable, and you can even run them offline. Huge time saver, especially for APIs that change or have right limits brilliant.
Speaker 1: And to run all these tests automatically, that's continuous integration, right yeap.
Speaker 2: CI services think Circle Ci, Travis CI, Semaphore, GitHub actions. They run your full test suite automatically. Every time you push code, you get immediate feedback did your change break anything? Crucial for team velocity and keeping the codebase healthy.
Speaker 1: Okay, shifting gears a bit. Users can't have a songs without them. How do you start setting up a solid user system in rails?
Speaker 2: Users are everything? Yeah, it starts with a user model. You add attributes you need, name, time zone, maybe rules later. A really important detail, often overlooked early on, is adding a hasheet or UUID.
Speaker 1: Why is that important?
Speaker 2: It's mainly for security and cleaner URLs. Instead of seeing users one users two in the URL, which someone could guess or iterate.
Speaker 1: Through trying to find other users data.
Speaker 2: Right, a UID gives you something like user say three B seven C it's nonsequential, unpredictable, much safer, and Rail's database migrations handle adding these columns and changing your database schema really smoothly. That's a core strength.
Speaker 1: Okay, And for actually logging users in authentication is building your own login system still a thing people do.
Speaker 2: Please please don't. Rolling your own off is notoriously hard to get right. Security is complex, So what's the standard approach? Devise It's a gem, It's been around forever, it's battle tested. It handles sessions, cookies, password resets, confirmations, the works, and it gives you basic views you can customize using device, saves you a massive amount of time and prevents countless security headaches.
Speaker 1: Good advice. So users can log in. Yeah, but then you often need roles right, like admins versus regular users. How's that handled right?
Speaker 2: So first you need the basic flows sign in, sign out, sign up, make sure you have clear feedback using rails flash messages. User invites are also common, especially for team based apps. For roles themselves, a gem called rollifies really popular. It lets you associate roles you define them like dot admin or dot member with your users.
Speaker 1: Okay, so user has a role.
Speaker 2: Yep, and then you need to connect that role to what they're allowed to do.
Speaker 1: That's authorization and how do you manage that? Is there standard way?
Speaker 2: Can can can is the go to gem here. It's incredibly powerful because it lets you define all your authorization roles in one central place, usually a file called ability dot.
Speaker 1: RB one file for all permissions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, pretty much. It keeps things really organized.
Speaker 1: How fine grained can you get with those rules?
Speaker 2: Very you define can or cannot rules, you combine actions like read dot create, dot update, dot manage, which is like a wild card with specific models. So you could say a user can manage their own projects, but they can read projects belonging to their team.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, very specific exactly.
Speaker 2: And if someone tries to do something they're not allowed to can can can helps you catch that and redirect them, maybe show an access denied message.
Speaker 1: And obviously you need to test all of this thoroughly. The log ins, the roles, the permissions absolutely critical.
Speaker 2: You'd use a mix of tests here. Controller specs are good for checking the logic does this role get redirected correctly? And system specs are essential for testing the full user experience. Can a user actually sign up, log in and access the things they should be able to access.
Speaker 1: Right makes sense. Okay, let's dive into the core business logic, the real meat of the application. The source mentioned scaffold quite a bit. Rails G scaffold. What is that and why is it highlighted? Ugh scaffolding. This is where rails can feel like magic sometimes, especially when you're starting. It's a generator command. You run rails G scaffold stand up, for example, and it instantly creates the model, the database, migration, the controller with all the basic actions index, show, new, create, edit, update, destroy the views for each action and basic tests.
Speaker 2: Wow. Okay, the whole cru setup in one command.
Speaker 1: Exactly, crud, create, read, update, delete. It gives you a fully working interface for managing that stand up object in minutes. Huge shortcut for getting basic features up.
Speaker 2: But it's not the final code, right. You don't just deploy the scaffold output.
Speaker 1: Oh definitely not. Think of it as a starting point, a really, really good starting point. You almost always need to customize the generator code, change the forms, tweak the controller logic, adjust the views. But it saves you from writing all that boilerplate yourself. It's you maybe eighty percent there.
Speaker 2: Or fast okay, so you scaffold then customize using our stand up tracker example. What are some key business models or patterns you'd build on top of that. Well, one neat concept the source mentions is tracking the current date using RAILS sessions and maybe a dedicated controller. The app can remember which date the user is looking at.
Speaker 1: So if I navigate away and come back, I'm still looking at yesterday's stand ups exactly.
Speaker 2: It provides context across the application, very useful for something like a daily stand up tracker.
Speaker 1: And what about relationships like users belonging to teams?
Speaker 2: That's a classic RAILS pattern has many through You'd have user model, a team model, and a team membership model.
Speaker 1: In between that links them the join table.
Speaker 2: Right, it makes it easy to ask what teams does this user belong to user dot teams? Or who are the members of this team team dot users? Very clean. You could also use similar patterns for things like static lookups, maybe using enom for days of the week or something.
Speaker 1: Got it and I saw something interesting about tasks single table in Harrodan's STI. What's that about?
Speaker 2: Ah STI? It's a clever database pattern. Imagine in our stand up app you have different types of tasks, things you did, things you plan, Toto, and maybe blockers.
Speaker 1: Okay, three distinct types.
Speaker 2: Instead of creating three separate database tables DIDs Toto's blockers, you use one tasks table and you add a special type column to that table. Rails uses this column to know which class each row represents, did Toto or blocker?
Speaker 1: So they all live in one table, but your code treats them as different classes exactly.
Speaker 2: It's great for models that share a lot of common attributes but have some distinct behaviors. Keeps your schema simpler.
Speaker 1: Very cool now, making all this feel dynamic and interactive. Hot Wire seems to be a big deal in Rails seven. What is it?
Speaker 2: Hot Wire is huge. It's basically a collection of technologies Turbo stimulus, JS and strata for mobile designed to give you that fast interactive SPA.
Speaker 1: Like field SBA being single page application. Right.
Speaker 2: But here's the kicker. You get that feel without writing much custom JavaScript. That's the revolutionary part for many Rails devs.
Speaker 1: How does that work? No JavaScript framework needed largely. No.
Speaker 2: Hot wire sends HTML over the wire, not Jason. It leverages the server to render HTML fragments and then uses clever techniques to update the page.
Speaker 1: Okay, break that down. What does turbo do.
Speaker 2: Turbo has a few parts. Turbo drive intercepts, link clicks and form submissions. Instead of a full page reload, it fetches the new page in the background and cleverly swaps out just the body or specific parts. Makes navigation feel instant.
Speaker 1: Okay, faster page changes. What about real time updates like seeing a teammate stand up appear without refreshing.
Speaker 2: That's turbo streams. It uses web sockets to push small HTML changes directly from the server to all connected clients. Someone saves the stand up, a turbostream message goes out and bam, it appears on everyone else's screen.
Speaker 1: And Turbo frames.
Speaker 2: Turbo frames let you designate specific sections of your page. Turbo frame tags as independent updatable Click a link inside a frame and only that frame's content gets replaced. Great for things like editing a single item in a list without reloading the whole list.
Speaker 1: And you can still use JavaScript if you need to for things like date pickers.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, that's where stimulus js comes in. It's a modest JavaScript framework that connects JavaScript controllers to HTML elements using data attributes the source shows integrating a JavaScript date picker like flat picker stimulus handles the interaction and then maybe triggers a turbo request to update the page content based on the selected date. They work together beautifully.
Speaker 1: So putting it all together, the stand up app can show stand ups based on different filters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can easily build views that show your stand ups or all stand ups for a specific team, or all stand ups from a particular user on their profile page. Rails, routing and controllers handle the data fetching, and hot wire makes the presentation dynamic and fast.
Speaker 1: Okay, moving beyond the core UI in models, let's talk robustness and integrations objects. You call them the secret sauce. Why are they so important?
Speaker 2: AI? Yeah, secret sauce might be a bit much, but they are really helpful for keeping your code clean as the app grows. The core idea is to prevent fat controllers or fat models where you cram way too much business logic into those default rails classes.
Speaker 1: So you pull logic out exactly.
Speaker 2: You create dedicated Ruby classes service objects that handle one specific business process or action like create user process payment. Since stand up reminder, it makes the code much easier to understand, test and maintain. You know exactly where to look for the logic related to creating a user.
Speaker 1: Are their best practices for writing them? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Definitely. A common one is to have just one public method often called dot call, makes its purpose clear, keep dependencies internal or pass them in, and crucially return something meaningful, not just true or false.
Speaker 1: What kind of meaningful object?
Speaker 2: Maybe a simple struct or an immutable struck that indicates success and carries the results object like the newly created user or any errors that occurred. Gives you much more context than a boolean.
Speaker 1: Can you give a concrete example?
Speaker 2: Sure, the source uses a new registration service. When the user signs up, this one service might coordinate several steps. Create the hat record, create a user, maybe create a striped customer record, queue up a welcome email, send a Slack notification.
Speaker 1: Okay, lots of steps right.
Speaker 2: Putting all that logic directly in your user's controller would be a mess. The service object orchestrates it cleanly. You can even use namespaces like notification services, dot, Slack, webooks, dot new account to organize related services.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes sense. Now, Some of those steps like sending emails or talking to stripe might take a second or two. How do you prevent that from slowing down the user's request?
Speaker 2: Background jobs absolutely essential for a responsive web apps. You identify tasks that don't need to happen immediately within the web request cycle, sending emails, processing images, calling slow external APIs, and you push them onto a background queue so.
Speaker 1: The web request finishes quickly and the job runs later exactly.
Speaker 2: The user gets a fast response and a separate process picks up the job from the queue and executes it in the background. Keeps your app feeling snappy.
Speaker 1: How does Rails handle that?
Speaker 2: Rails has a built in framework called active job. It provides a standard way to define your jobs. Then you choose a back end adapter to actually run the jobs. Sidekick is probably the most popular for Rails. It uses rttus. It's very fast and reliable.
Speaker 1: Could use schedule jobs too, like send a daily email yep.
Speaker 2: You can use extensions like Sidekick, dot cron or similar tools to schedule jobs to run at specific times or intervals. Perfect for daily reminders, weekly reports, nightly cleanups, et cetera.
Speaker 1: Speaking of emails, how does Rails actually send.
Speaker 2: Them through action mailer? It's another built in framework. You define mailer classes similar to controllers, with methods for each type of email you want to send. You can create both HTML and plaintext versions easily.
Speaker 1: And you mentioned deliver later for background jobs right.
Speaker 2: You can call deliver now to send it immediate lee usually only for testing or very specific cases, or deliver later to queue it up via active job. Always use deliver later for real world emails.
Speaker 1: What else do you need for emails and production just action mailer?
Speaker 2: No, you'll need an actual email delivery service like send grid, Postmark, or mail gun. Your server itself usually isn't configured for reliable mass email delivery. You also need to configure DNS records SBF, DKM for your domain to ensure your emails don't end up in spam folders.
Speaker 1: And apikeys for those services, How do you store those? Securely?
Speaker 2: Rails credentials It's a built in way to manage secrets. It creates an encrypted file canfig credentials, dot email, dot enc where you store apikeys and other sensitive stuff. This file can be checked in to get but you need the master key canfig master dot key which you never check in to decrypt it. Very secure way to handle secrets.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's sending email. What about receiving email? Can rails handle replies? Yes?
Speaker 2: This is super powerful. Action Mailbox is the framework for this. That's your Rails application receive incoming emails. You can figure specific email addresses like replies at your wapp dot com to route emails into your application.
Speaker 1: What could you do with them?
Speaker 2: Then you define mailboxes that process incoming emails. Based on routing rules, you can parse the email content, extract data, and trigger actions in your app. Imagine replying to a stand up reminder email with your updates and action Mailbox automatically parses it and saves your stand up Very cool stuff.
Speaker 1: Wow, Okay, that opens up possibilities. Let's talk money. Stripe integration for payments and subscriptions. How does that typically work?
Speaker 2: In rail SaaS Stripe is pretty much the de facto standard. It's very developer friendly. First, you define your products and prices in the Stripe dashboard, your different subscription tiers, free, pro, enterprise and how much they.
Speaker 1: Cost, and link those to your app.
Speaker 2: Yeah. You often map those Stripe product price IDs to something in your application, maybe a configuration file, products dot AML or a simple product model. This lets your app know the limits associated with each plan like max users, features available, etc.
Speaker 1: How does the sign up flow work with Stripe?
Speaker 2: Typically, when a user signs up or upgrades, your application interacts with stripes API. You create a Stripe customer object for the user count. Then you create a subscription linking that customer to a specific price. Stripe handles the actual payment processing. Your app just needs to store the Stripe customer ID and subscription ID on your account or user model, and then.
Speaker 1: You check that subscription status to enforce limits exactly.
Speaker 2: You'll have logic, maybe a before reaction in your controllers or checks within specific features that looks at the account's subscription status. Is the subscription active, what plan are they on? Based on that, you allow or deny actions, or maybe redirect them to a billing page if they hit a limit. Stripe provides a pre built billing portal you can easily link users to for managing their subscription.
Speaker 1: And testing this. You don't want to actually charge credit cards during.
Speaker 2: Tests, absolutely not. This is where mocking comes in again. You use libra is like webmoc or VCR again to intercept any calls to the Stripe API during your tests, you provide fake successful or failed responses. This ensures your tests run quickly and reliably without hitting striped servers or needing real card details. Crucial.
Speaker 1: Okay, beyond payments, what about integrating with other APIs like GitHub?
Speaker 2: The pattern is often similar, usually involving o off for authorization. For GitHub, you'd register an oof app. When a user wants to connect their account, you redirect them to Gethub to authorize your application.
Speaker 1: Big grant permission right.
Speaker 2: GitHub redirects them back to your app with a temporary code. Your app then exchanges that code securely with GitHub's API to get an access token. You store that token securely, maybe using Rails credentials or database encryption, and then you can use it to make API calls on the user's behalf like listing their repositories.
Speaker 1: And getting real time updates from GitHub like new code pushes.
Speaker 2: That's webhooks. You'd use the GitHub API using the user's token to tell GitHub, Hey, whenever there's a push event on this repo, send a notification to this URL on my application.
Speaker 1: So getthub calls your app exactly.
Speaker 2: Your app needs an endpoint ready to receive that webhook data. You'd probably store these incoming events in your database, maybe in an event table. STI could be useful here too. For different types of events push event, pull request event, you might store the raw event, payload and adjson B column for flexibility.
Speaker 1: And finally, tracking what users are doing in the app.
Speaker 2: Analytics Yeah, super important for understanding usage and making decisions. Tools like mixed Panel or segment or common you integrate their stks and send events from your rails app back end or potentially the front end. JavaScript you identify users and track key actions users sign up, page viewed, feature used, stand up, created, plan, upgraded gives you valuable insights into user behavior.
Speaker 1: Okay, we've built a lot, now making it fast and getting it deployed. Optimizations First, what are the low hanging fruit, the real bang for your buck performance improvements?
Speaker 2: Good question? First, know where the slownesses. Tools like Rackmini Profiler show you database query times and rendering times right in your browser during development. Essential first step.
Speaker 1: Okay, diagnose first, Then what.
Speaker 2: N plus one queries? Huge performance killer. This is when you load a list of things like teams and then loop through them, making a separate database query inside the loop to get related data like the users for each team.
Speaker 1: One query for the list, then end queries inside.
Speaker 2: The loop exactly. You fix it with eager loading. In Rails, you use dot includes or references on your initial query team dot includes, dot users, dot all that tells Rails to fetch all the teams and their associated users in just one or two efficient queries.
Speaker 1: Are there tools to fined N plus ones?
Speaker 2: Yes? The bullet gem is fantastic for detecting N plus one queries and other database issues automatically during development. It'll pop up warnings telling you where to add eager loading.
Speaker 1: What else slows down database access.
Speaker 2: Missing database indices. If you're freequently looking up records by a column that doesn't have an index, like finding a user by email, the database has to scan the hotal terribly slow on large tables.
Speaker 1: How do you find missing indices?
Speaker 2: Tools like luld blog can scan your models and usage patterns and suggest indices you should add. Adding the right indices can make lookups orders of magnitude faster.
Speaker 1: What about just displaying lots of data like a huge list of stand ups pagination.
Speaker 2: Don't try to load and render thousands of records on one page. It kills memory and browser performance. Use a gem like pagy, which is very fast and memory efficient to break results into pages, show twenty or fifty items at a time. Huge improvement for user experience and serverload.
Speaker 1: Any quick server side wins Gzip compression.
Speaker 2: Rails has middleware called rack deflator that can automatically compress responses htmail json before sending them to the browser. Smaller response size means faster downloads. It's usually just a one line configuration change.
Speaker 1: Easy win, okay, and the big one casing How does that?
Speaker 2: Cashing is probably the single most impactful performance technique. The basic idea is don't recalculate or rerender something if it hasn't changed, store the result and reuse it.
Speaker 1: Where do you store the cash stuff?
Speaker 2: You can figure a cash store. Rettis is very common and versatile for cashing in Rails. Memcash is another option. You can even use the filesystem or memory for development.
Speaker 1: What kinds of things can you cash?
Speaker 2: Several levels. There's low level caching, where you cash raw data like the result of a complex query. Then there's fragment caching, which is really powerful in RAILS views. You wrap a piece of HTML, maybe a complex partial in a cash block. Rails renders at once, stores the HPML fragment, and reuses it on subsequent requests until the underlying data changes.
Speaker 1: How does it know when the data changes?
Speaker 2: Typically through cash keys based on the objects being rendered. If you cash a block based on a at product object, Rails uses the products it and update at timestamp and the key. When the product updates, the key changes and the cash is invalid.
Speaker 1: In Russian doll caching sounds complex.
Speaker 2: It builds on fragment caching. Imagine you cash a list of products, and each product in the list is also cashed individually, like nested Russian dolls. The magic is that if you update one product, Rails can automatically invalidate just that product's fragment and the outerless cash that contained it. It often involves using touch true on model associations or after commit hooks to ensure parent objects updated timestamps change when children change, automatically busting the cash. Very efficient. How you set up cashing, You can figure your cash store in your environment files example fund environments, production, dot RP tell Rails to use reddis You can easily toggle cashing on off and development with binrailsdev dot cash.
Speaker 1: Okay apps optimized time to deploy. Heroku is mentioned as popular. How do you prep for that?
Speaker 2: Heroku is great for getting started. Before deploying. You need to configure production specific settings your domain name, mailer settings using those SND grid keys, maybe forcing SSL.
Speaker 1: And the deployment process itself.
Speaker 2: It's pretty standard Heroku workflow. Install the Heroku Cli two belt, run Heroku create to create your app. Add necessary add ons like postgrass, Heroku add ons dot create, Heroku postgress call and rettis Heroku add ons dot create, Heroku rettis. Set your environment variables securely using Heroku configu do set, especially the Rails master key needed to decrypt your credentials. You might need to adjust your profile to specify how many web workers and background job sidecack workers to run. Then it's just get push Heroku Maine to deploy your code, followed by Heroku run rails dB dot migrate to update the production database.
Speaker 1: STEMA seems straightforward enough for basic deployment. Any other cool modern rails tools worth mentioning for sauce.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Rail seven brought lotuing for active record queries. If you have a page that needs to run say three independent database queries to gather data for different sections look at dashboard exactly. Instead of running them one after another, lotusink lets them run concurrently, potentially speeding up data loading significantly. And another big one is active record encryption.
Speaker 1: Encrypting data in the database YEP.
Speaker 2: Rail seven has built in support using the encrypts declaration in your model. You can mark attributes like user dotcrypts dot email or task dotcrypts dot title. Rails handles the encryption and decryption automatically and transparently for your application. The data is stored encrypted at rest in the database, but your app code just reads and writes it normally. Adds a great layer of security for sensitive data.
Speaker 1: Wow, that's built right in. Very nice. Okay, so we've covered a kind of ground here. What does this all mean for someone listening trying to learn or build their own saws.
Speaker 2: I think the big takeaway is seeing the whole journey mapped out from that initial Rails new and setting up users with solid off through building core features, handling payments, integrating APIs, using background jobs all the way to optimizing and deploying. Rails provides tools and conventions for almost every step. It's amazing how this one framework guides you through such complexity, often quite elegantly.
Speaker 1: It really paints picture of how all these pieces connect. The database, the back end logic, the frontend reactivity with hot wire, the external services.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, building a sauce is a deep dive. It's not just one thing, it's this whole ecosystem of interconnected parts working together.
Speaker 1: So as you, the listener, reflect on everything we've unpacked from this guide, here's something to think about. How might understanding this deep interplay between that server driven frontend reactivity like hot wire and the back end efficiency techniques like background jobs and sophisticated caching. How might that fundamentally change the way you approach building your next major software project, even if you're not using rails