Speaker 1: Oh yeah, we didn't tell you about that.
Speaker 2: Should we restart? I think we should probably restart, should we?
Speaker 1: It's okay, It's like, hey, everyone, welcome to Game Spot after Dark episode at two hundred and fifty two. We're back baby, after a month long hiatus. Uh yeah, we're back. We're not in a studio. Not in a studio.
Speaker 2: We are. We're in person, thank god.
Speaker 1: But we are in Jake's living room right now.
Speaker 3: Hell yeah, this is so weird.
Speaker 4: I'm holding a microphone as it's Kurt, I'm holding a boom mic.
Speaker 3: I'm not because I'm prepared.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jake is the only one he looks professional.
Speaker 4: I mean I don't do the podcasting thing unless I go to an office with a studio of the mics and the thing set up for it, because I don't really, I'm not. I'm personally not interested in doing it remotely. It's not my jam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'd rather look you in the eyes like within.
Speaker 1: It's not fun.
Speaker 2: But I don't have I actually I don't.
Speaker 4: I'm like the one video producer doesn't have a proper mic set up because I don't do that.
Speaker 2: So I used to have a boom mic, right and I think it should be okay, right, I.
Speaker 5: Think so, I mean I prefer recording. If we could record everything on boom mics, I'd probably prefer that.
Speaker 3: Especially and stuff.
Speaker 5: Actually, yeah, we just need more people to understand how boom mics work. Yeah, it just sounds cleaner. And also you don't see.
Speaker 3: You fine, Yeah, I don't know. There's something like.
Speaker 1: When it's just clean, we should go the other route and we should do what go back to what the YouTubers there's uh, just have them hold the monkey, hold the laugh. That's my favorite is when they're holding the laugh like this and I'm like, yeah, what are you doing?
Speaker 2: Yea.
Speaker 5: We should should make interview subjects do that holider.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should be clipped up.
Speaker 3: We should be clipped up.
Speaker 4: But this is like, yeah, you just hold this and just like you want me to put it under my shirt, like nope, you got it.
Speaker 2: Just hold it right there, hold it against your lips. You can hear you it's touching your lips anyway.
Speaker 1: So if the audio sounds a little weirder than usual, that is better?
Speaker 2: Why or better?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Probably not three different mics.
Speaker 1: So, so we've been gone a month and I feel like a lot's been going on in the world of video games.
Speaker 2: We also have updates on why we've been gone. Yes, when we're we're heading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, so I the last episode of the podcast was just me and a good old Jacob Court, who's one of our discord moderators, and at the end of that episode, I talked about how like we were probably gonna be gone for a couple of weeks because there was a bunch of like we were traveling and.
Speaker 5: Then office being shut down or not shut shut down.
Speaker 1: That sounds very dire. Yeah, there was a lot of travel and then the office was closed because we're moving to a new office. That new office was supposed to be open by now. Unfortunately this week. Huh, it was supposed to be this week that we're allowed to go in. Unfortunately, there's like a fire code safety issue that needs to get like a proof through the city.
Speaker 2: And it's one of those like fireproof. Just set a flare in there and see what happens.
Speaker 1: We'll just light a thing on fire, see what happened, burning.
Speaker 2: That bed.
Speaker 1: Until all that's settled.
Speaker 2: I mean, if so, we can't have I can't have a campfire by my desk.
Speaker 4: It's unfortunately not a fire pit like I've been planning because I'll just have to return it.
Speaker 2: You should try it.
Speaker 4: First day back in the office. This is my spot I want to fire but well, I think the folding camping chairs I want to make things a little cozy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm pretty sure once the thing is settled. I mean that means you probably can have a fire. I think that's how that.
Speaker 4: Works good because my desk is facing a corner and that's the only thing. That corner is gonna be a fire pit.
Speaker 2: And facing that.
Speaker 4: Corner the corner that I wanted and meant that I got to look at no one, specifically Max Blumenthal on our team.
Speaker 2: I have to look at him for my desk. Well, I had to.
Speaker 4: And when we were picking our new desks, I said, can I have a desk where you don't have to look at Max? And that corner was and that only dusk was the corner facing a wall where I don't have to look at anyone, So.
Speaker 3: Which is great. I can't wait poor Max.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for everyone, they're not gonna be.
Speaker 1: Well, my favorite part about that is because then they were like, and we're going to keep the layout the same, so you and Jacob be next to Kirk.
Speaker 2: So now we also have to look at the wall. Hey, that's not my fault.
Speaker 4: I mean it's not like you know, you guys could don't protest if you need to walk in makes Max moves somewhere else and take Max's.
Speaker 5: I moved last time because they put me right in between Eric and Aaron, which is fine, except they never go into the office. Yeah, you were just by yourself on that one row. Like I was like, all right, I'm moving, and I moved.
Speaker 4: For the record, Max is great. He's just too good a games, so I just don't like him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I feel the same.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Anyways, so fire codes, fire codes, no fire pit, no fire pit. So that's where that's where we've been, and that's where we're heading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's we're been, that's we're heading. So we are going to continue to be kind of remote with this podcast for the rest of the month until we can get in there and uh, they're getting settled. But that's okay because honestly, like it's it might be a blessing in disguise because there's so many freaking games coming out this month that already had dealt is maybe for the best. Uh, why don't we start with the Well, I was gonna say, start with the big one. But there's two big ones.
Speaker 2: There are two big ones, two big ones, one kind.
Speaker 3: Of three metaphor too right?
Speaker 1: Well, that was that was the second one. What's the third one?
Speaker 2: O me?
Speaker 1: I thought that was that's not a movie, that's a movie.
Speaker 2: That's it's also not a movie. It's not a movie. It's not a game. If it's an experience, it's a painting moves, you know what.
Speaker 1: Let's just start with that. Yes, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: We're the first thing on your list.
Speaker 3: That's why I figured it's true.
Speaker 2: It is the first thing in my own favorite one.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Game Spot after Dark, where we are recording in the morning during a sunny day, and we're not going to talk about a video game. First thing off the bat, we're talking about Francis board Cobola's newest film, Megaopolis.
Speaker 1: Well, the reason I wanted to talk about it because the three of us, it's also a out of the theater already.
Speaker 2: It's it wasn't in theaters for a week.
Speaker 5: So from San Francisco is not in very long. I found at least Matt was looking in Canada and he said it was playing this last weekend but.
Speaker 1: In our theaters. Yeah, San Francisco only on a Friday. And then you were like, we have to see it Monday or Tuesday because it leaves theaters Wednesday.
Speaker 2: Really, We're like, what, okay?
Speaker 3: Yeah, meanwhile, Stu saw it twice in that window.
Speaker 1: Yes, Stu saw it over the weekend. And then we're like, hey, you want to see it. He's like, I would like to see it again with you all because I want to.
Speaker 4: Except I think we expecting us to maybe or at least some of us to hate it, yeah, or not like it.
Speaker 2: But boy, I mean, was he wrong?
Speaker 1: I mean controversial? Take care? I know you and me actually really had it. I had a great fucking time watching that movie. Jake also fell asleep.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I liked what I saw.
Speaker 1: But I will but but but to preface, I'm not saying it's good. I'm just saying I had a great time.
Speaker 2: I think it's important.
Speaker 4: The weird thing with this movie is I agree where somebody asked me what would you think?
Speaker 2: And it's one of those like it's one of those.
Speaker 4: Experiences where I don't want to tell you it's good, but I actually think it's really unfair for me.
Speaker 2: Personally based on my taste to just say it's bad.
Speaker 1: Well, I but that's what I'm saying. And I think the thing that threw me off is everyone talking about it was like it's not even good bad, it's just bad.
Speaker 4: It's garbage, which is a shallow fucking way to talk about movies in the first place.
Speaker 1: You're good, but like, you know, like that movie I actually think has some genuine artistry in some of its shots, in some of its ideas. I also think that movie is funny in a very intentional way at times, you know, like like like there are scenes that are like funny, and it's like this is meant to be funny, like this character.
Speaker 4: Then there's just a few parts that are a little you know, you know, you're kind of laughing at the film. Yes, I would say generally speaking, I kept comparing of like when I was halfway through the film, I was like, this reminds me of Dick Tracy, the film the nineties film and RoboCop, because RoboCop has such intentionally goofy satirical things that are like specifically commenting on the way news is how sensational is, and this movie does the exact same thing, right.
Speaker 1: I think that the at least for me, it's like this movie had very like Francis vocoppol Is sure has opinions. What those opinions are what he's mad about. I don't know if I fully understand, but he sure is mad about them. You said it really well. Where you said it was it was like a man, an eight year old man watched Fox News for four years straight and then immediately wrote a script, one draft, no revisions in one movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, a man has been absorbing Fox News for the five years he has been making movies, and then one day got up and was like, I'm making a movie. I need to put my wine on hold for I need to set my glass down and write the script.
Speaker 2: And once sitting Romega, I genuinely think.
Speaker 1: You should. You should see this movie before you die. I think it is worth experiencing. It's it's incredible, Uh it are I want to talk a little bit about our specific theater experience.
Speaker 2: We'll get there because I do.
Speaker 1: Because there was you know, that's that's a that's a part of it. Yeah, and that was both in a good and bad way. I would say, both enhanced and attracted I have.
Speaker 4: I love movies and I love going to movies, and but I also over the years have had like an increasingly I'm having more and more difficult time with movie audiences. I don't know if it's I think I think it's more me. I think like I'm growing up in a certain way.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: I think I think audiences have less what's the word.
Speaker 2: I do think there was a change after the pandemic. Yeah, I really do.
Speaker 4: There was a distinct moment going back to the movies after the pandemic when I felt like audience's audience members were more relaxed than how they were watching the film, as they were treating it like it was their living room.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, like more willing to have their phone out or like talking to people.
Speaker 4: And I don't want to be a grumpy old man and say like thing, the times are changing, which is what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: I don't know. It couldn't be me like I could.
Speaker 4: Really That's how I felt, was like, maybe I'm just yeah, go to the movie theater for maybe I'm more intentional.
Speaker 2: Why I go to the movie theater than I used to.
Speaker 4: Well, I thought that this movie theater experience was one of those things where I was like, dude, I don't know, I'm getting real like conflicted.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there was someone in the theater I wanted to punch in the face.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, okay, So I will saying there was one particular offender. However, I would say the majority of the audience was actually fairly good until the last twenty minutes. You could tell people where I think people were like kind of done with the movie and the movies getting more hinged. I think they were starting to like you could like feel them breaking, and then like people were loving for no reason.
Speaker 2: It was like hysterical.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like hysteria, like like a character would enter on screen and people would start laughing.
Speaker 3: I'd be like, I don't know that that would me.
Speaker 1: I think people were starting to lose their minds, like in the last twenty minutes.
Speaker 2: That it was.
Speaker 5: I also think a lot of people who saw that probably the night we did, heard all the crazy reviews that they were going like, yeah, they were going in like I sure, obviously Stu was like it's not good, but I was.
Speaker 2: It was opened, you know, like I'm ready to see it again. Yeah, so that's worth it.
Speaker 5: But but I feel like a lot of those people because they were laughing at things that were like, I guess, kind of funny, but it's it's not that funny, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it really wasn't Like for me, it was like it was it was very exaggerating that last twenty minutes, right, Like, I think people were just like.
Speaker 2: And losing their mind.
Speaker 1: I do think it's a film which I thought was it was. It annoyed me. It was also kind of an experience like.
Speaker 4: It's apt because the movie felt like it was starting to become a little bit more unhinged and focused at the end, and.
Speaker 2: Which is saying something I know in a film that was like two hours and fifteen minutes long, I did feel, despite enjoying it, feel like it was three hours three hour. Yeah, I completely. But then there was the guy next to us.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, So to start with, before we even sit down getting to our.
Speaker 2: Seats, there was one man in our aisle.
Speaker 1: There's one man in our aisle, and he had I think it was like it must have been like a large Duffel bag or something.
Speaker 2: It was a multiple bag.
Speaker 3: It almost seemed just like he had a trash back and of cans.
Speaker 2: But then an invisible bag.
Speaker 1: No, in like three Stooges style, we all three of us had this like comical like like you walked forward tripped was the first Jacob's like trips.
Speaker 2: Jake walks forwards, stepped on something.
Speaker 4: It sounded like he clunched, like something shattered underneath his feet. So Jake goes and I now aware this man has an invisible item.
Speaker 2: Wonder Yes, I tried to step over it and somehow crunched onto it as well.
Speaker 1: So I then and then I see both of you, and I was like, oh, I know what's going on. And then I don't crunch. I used to like comically like trip over it and like fumble, and like stew was like grabbed me or like keep me from like collapsing on this man.
Speaker 4: And so this person had who knows what was a mythical bag of treats that we were destroying. But the man didn't really have a reaction either, make an effort to move it.
Speaker 2: He just let us crush his belongings.
Speaker 3: He just had cans.
Speaker 1: He was stopping by the recycle after So then during the movie, this man I don't even know it was like he was just like moaning.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he was.
Speaker 5: It was and it was so and he'd do it like every fifteen minutes, no matter what was on screen, you know.
Speaker 1: To the point where I was like, is he reacting to the movie? Is he dying?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It was definitely okay.
Speaker 2: Was a yawn.
Speaker 1: Sometimes yawn. Sometimes it's like, oh, this is a very small theater. But like they shoved, like they literally it was like the smallest theater in the entire you know, it's like cinema.
Speaker 4: Which made it funnier when the film started and the amc was like you were watching on the biggest screen.
Speaker 5: This is this is this is like the size of my living room.
Speaker 1: But everyone in the theater good, here this man groaning because I just didn't know.
Speaker 2: It was him. I thought it was someone.
Speaker 5: No, it was I thought it was someone behind us, and were like, shut the fuck up, and I was getting.
Speaker 4: Ready and this I don't not this time we're going to turn to some poor innocent I'm not a moviegoer. I'm not this type of person, but there have been a few times in movie theaters where I will I've learned to politely go up to someone and just be like, hey, you're doing this, it's distracting. He's off uh, And I was trying to eye the person down because I was getting ready to like politely get.
Speaker 2: Up, maybe go use bathroom.
Speaker 4: My way back and be like, can you please stop dying in your seat? You're describing everyone either.
Speaker 2: Die, yes, stay dead.
Speaker 1: No one enjoyed.
Speaker 5: I remember afterwards we were like talking, We mentioned that man, Like some random person.
Speaker 1: Was like, are you talking about the guy was groaning the whole time, Like everyone in the theater was like, not about that guy. Yep, I didn't know this. Apparently he took off his shoes at one point. Stu picked up on this because Stu was the closest to him, and apparently Stu could smell his feet for like.
Speaker 2: Half that movie.
Speaker 1: Great, and maybe just because I was still getting over a cold, I was thankfully spared trauma.
Speaker 2: That's because you were drinking wine out of a flask.
Speaker 1: It probably helped a little bit too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we didn't even mention that because you know, Fransport Kobla has his own winery. It's basically he funded this movie. Yes, so I decided to put a little friend sport wine and some flasks and take him in for a celibratory drink while watching the film.
Speaker 3: H they were a celebratory drink.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, it's because Jake fell asleep.
Speaker 1: So well, what's funny about that is you had your own flask and then me and Jake were like splitting a flask because I was I had a cold, and Jake was like, I'll have half the flask and then I'll give it to you for the second half. I assumed i'd get the flask like halfway through the movie.
Speaker 2: It was like fifteen and suddenly Jake's just like here and I'm like, oh, okay.
Speaker 3: I didn't want to drink too much.
Speaker 5: You know, I'd already I burned through half of it, and I was like, well, if I hold onto this, I'm gonna finish it.
Speaker 1: But I was just like, oh okay, I've gotten this a lot sooner. I tried to nurse it a little bit more. I think I made it like yeah, like halfway through. I eventually had it.
Speaker 4: But going back to the man with the No shoes, there's one of my favorite things happened in the world.
Speaker 1: So slight spoilers for the movie. There is a scene where the the a woman talking with that driver reveals she is pregnant with and they're going to have a kid. It's a very whatever scene. Yeah, Like it's like, there's nothing weird about this scene.
Speaker 2: It's not even that built up.
Speaker 1: It's not that built up. They're just in the bed. It's a very normal scene, right. I would not describe it as like a odd scene in terms of like compared to intimate or overly intimate, or or goofy or It's just a very normal scene.
Speaker 6: Curw to this man in the aisle with all of his bags and no shoes on, stands up and announces gross and walks right.
Speaker 4: The best part I thought he just was like, I can't fuck this. I assume he was not coming back. Gross leaves can't handle a woman, could Kurt Or.
Speaker 1: It was because you were asleep at this point.
Speaker 2: I couldn't believe it.
Speaker 4: It was the only time I laughed, like really laughed during that movie while everyone else was laughing at the film. I could not get over the fact that this man could not handle a woman being pregnant. Gross and just walks straight out incredible. Thirty five minutes later comes back, He walks back, he goes back here that near him.
Speaker 2: I think he missed more Okay, maybe I don't know. I mean, I mean you you you got up and used the bathroom once.
Speaker 3: I did.
Speaker 4: Yeah, during a very constant, like a pivotal scene, a pivotal consequential scene of the movie.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I won't spoil because it's incredible. When that scene happened. I like saw that scene coming a mile away too.
Speaker 5: They were like the second that scene starts, were like I turned to stew and I.
Speaker 2: Was like, do I swear to God if this is I thought it was going to be something else. I knew something was. I knew something was going to happen. I had a different theory.
Speaker 1: No. I was just like, they're, oh, he's going for it.
Speaker 2: I mean, come on, this guy directed The Godfather.
Speaker 1: It's incredible.
Speaker 2: I will say my closing statement on this one.
Speaker 4: Sure because I actually didn't I actually legitimately didn't enjoy it.
Speaker 1: I legitimately enjoyed it.
Speaker 2: I can watch it again.
Speaker 1: No, I because because Georgia was like, I don't know, you know, should I see it? And I was like, I don't know if you'd like it, like this is before Yeah, I was like, I have no idea came out and she's like, what do you think, And I was like, we're watching this fucking.
Speaker 4: Get a couple of bottles of francisport Copola lab so.
Speaker 3: Better come to Criterion Collection otherwise.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. I'm not joking twenty years no, because she loves like like Neil Breen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I was like, this movie kind of has this is I'm gonna steal this from from Daniel Door on Twitter. He said this, and I think it's so app It has the energy of like if Neil Breen won the lottery and was like had unlimited budget. Because Neil Breen films, the man has opinions on society and wants to express them in his movies. He just doesn't have the like skill set to do it. Sport Copola does have more of a skill set, for sure, but there is this equal unhingedness where it's like he really clearly wants to say.
Speaker 4: Something yeah yeah, and he's also like, dude, he's had his career. I mean, he's one of the most remarkable filmmakers who have ever graced the medium.
Speaker 1: So sure point he can have it.
Speaker 2: It's fine, I can have it.
Speaker 1: I don't think this diminishes, but I agree at all.
Speaker 4: Contrary to which I totally totally see and get Danny's and your point. I walked out of that theater and said, if Terry Gilliam had made this film instead of Francis fort Cola, people would say it's his magnum opus and not bad an eye at.
Speaker 2: It, because it felt like in a Terry Gillium movie.
Speaker 4: If you guys are familiar with the listeners with Terry Gilliam, he like, he's basically the dude who's responsible for Monty Python. But they also did like Twelve Monkeys and Time Bandits and Brazil. Brazil specifically is the movie that I think is probably most comparable to this, And I was like, dude, if this was if this was anyone but friendsis port Coppola, I don't think people would be laughing at it.
Speaker 5: I well, even after the movie theater, Like you mentioned, like, if if this was like contorted, this story was contorted into a video game and it was by Hideoka, everyone.
Speaker 3: They'd be like this, this is brilliant.
Speaker 4: This is like one of the ghosting I felt like people, I felt like audiences in moviegoers with this movie specifically, we're looking for a punching bag, which is why when the audiences, the audience members we saw it with were like, look, I think they were looking to laugh at the film.
Speaker 2: To the end of the movie, they.
Speaker 4: Almost were losing their minds because they had no idea what the fuck they.
Speaker 1: Were what was going on.
Speaker 4: But I was like, dude, if this is anyone else, if there's a Terry Gillium, no one a bad night, if this is a Jodeo Kojima game, people wuld be like it's genius. Anyone who tells me that Kajima's games are well freaking or good but then criticize this movie or not, they're not allowed.
Speaker 2: You're just simply not.
Speaker 1: I both agree, I slightly disagree in that at least for me, like I I could.
Speaker 5: Like Jima usually does have something to say and gets it across.
Speaker 1: Sure, not always in the best way. Yeah, you could argue like his method, but like, at least I'm like, I get what he's trying to say. Where I like, I still don't fully know what Coppola was trying to say, but.
Speaker 5: I think one of Okay, so I guess I was asleep for like thirty forty minutes of this movie.
Speaker 1: Sure it was more than fifteen.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think can totally miss about twenty.
Speaker 1: All right, it's hard to gauge because again, like time just floating different while watching it, which.
Speaker 2: Is because the movie does have some weird time yeah.
Speaker 3: Time stuff, which he's got that power to stop time.
Speaker 4: Which I don't think it's an actual power though you think it's just I think I think it's I think it's it's a representation of symbolic of the idea of art and architecture freezing things, and like the idea that when art happens, it exists in a split second forever when you look at a paint. I know this is where I'm getting really heavy and weird about it. But it's like she even makes that comment about like dancing to architecture, which is like a very cliche criticism that people use, Like the whole thing is like when you try music, critics are the equivalent of trying to dance to architecture, Like why are you using words to criticize music?
Speaker 2: Sure, the same as trying to look at a building and dance to it. That was my interpretation.
Speaker 4: I did not interpret it as that he literally had a power to stop time. I interpret it as like in the way you make things, the way you create and the way buildings and like his idea of a city it's like forever last.
Speaker 1: See, I just didn't I didn't even know it.
Speaker 2: But that's literally that's my interpretation. Sure, that's fair.
Speaker 1: That's fair because I also was like, I don't know if this is meant to be literal, but I also don't know what it's meant to be if not. Like I just didn't.
Speaker 3: My brain was just kind of where I was at. But I will say, like.
Speaker 5: A lot of people have said this already, but it's nice seeing a movie that is like clearly from someone's head that has like two what is it, one hundred and fifty million dollars, two hundred million dollars behind it or something like that, when like, once again it's been said, but like, at least you tried to say something unlike so many.
Speaker 4: Movies that you sing around Marvel movies. You said, this movie walked out the theater. You were like, that is a litmus is whether it's a litmus yeah, a test for an audience of moviegoers who have just been watching Marvel for the past you know, take whatever yours like.
Speaker 5: If there's a lot of people who thought it was bad, and they've got good reasons to think it's bad, and there are things that I think are bad. But at least it's interesting, I think, is what one hundreds would I take an interesting thing? It is interesting, like.
Speaker 1: A focused test group could never make Yeah, you know, never make that movie.
Speaker 2: Like, although I'm sure peopleould argue that it feels like it's made by it.
Speaker 1: Feels like I get the argument that it feels like it's made by I because there were actual moments where we're like, was that c g AI generated? Because I had that feel that said, and.
Speaker 5: There was a I I think it's it was there. Well, I don't know about in the film proper, but the that like Driver or whatever, it was like AI, oh kind of trying to do a whole but they didn't. So that's the other thing is the screening we saw did not have an act, a real life actor talking. There's supposed to be like a forty five minute section where a real actor is talking to AI Adam Driver about like the events that happened, because he's got that little press conference, you know, and like there's that weird shot where he's in that tiny little frame.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's where it was supposed to happen, right, we didn't have But we.
Speaker 5: Didn't have that, probably because thank God, frankly, which is why because you and I were like, we thought it was three and a half hours long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that way, why that think that's why?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was because it's an old man.
Speaker 4: When Jake was pitching this to see it on a weeknight, I was like, dude, the movie's like three and a half hours long. If we see it anywhere anytime, like before at seven, I'm not going to be in bed until midnight.
Speaker 2: I don't want to deal with that.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I mean the sentiment, though I agree with it, where it just doesn't it doesn't feel like a committee has made this film.
Speaker 3: That interesting, yeah, or like or.
Speaker 5: Like that, like Disney's writing team, you know, suits or whatever, like couldn't couldn't write something like this and not to say it's good, but it's just interesting.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But I prefer that.
Speaker 1: I much rather see something that's like thank God, I I am. I want things that are messy and weird and like don't Land, because I think that's way more interesting than like just something that's made by committee and made to appease everyone. And is therefore so boring.
Speaker 2: Thank goodness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh so the people he brought out of retirement for this.
Speaker 1: Shilaha no idea that was in that movie. And I was.
Speaker 2: He is a little freak, very real life, so it's I think he.
Speaker 5: Was partly takes his hat off and throws it on the ground and then everyone does the same things.
Speaker 2: You picked that up.
Speaker 1: I was like, Okay, that's what I'm saying. Like, I was like, that's funny, like genuinely the part where he stands on the stump that's carved to look like a swasti.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's actually simple.
Speaker 4: That's actually something that bugged me in our movie in our audience because so there's a scene, without giving away too much, but basically shout his character shot. His character takes on this whole persona of his own, and he and he's giving a speech to a lower class area of the city and he jumps on a on a wooden stump that's carved out into a swatsti cup, which is the most like plain and on the nose, like.
Speaker 3: Dude, you get it, get what he's doing.
Speaker 2: But one of the people behind us was like, oh my god, what the fuck? And it was one of those moments where I just kind of was like, what's what is the what is that reaction? Are you? Are you upset because you saw spots tout or you like it was just confused this movie go or audience moments like that where I wasn't really insured.
Speaker 1: It's just like you're not used to a movie like doing something like that.
Speaker 5: To go back to like a lot of Marvel stuff, Right, there's a whole thing about how like people don't like sex and movies anymore, and like there's.
Speaker 2: Those people hate movie.
Speaker 5: Well, it's more just like a general thing like a lot of people are saying like that's not really in movies anymore. And I think a lot of that has to do with like movies like Marvel trying not to like offend anyone, which is like kind of a it makes uncomfortable. You don't wanteople to feel uncomforta you want to go in like have a good time on a movie, which is fine, But like, I don't know, I think movies aret should strive to be a lot more than that.
Speaker 2: There's plenty of.
Speaker 4: Movies that exist today that are made to have uncomfortable scenes.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if we get one hundred and fifty dollars million exams. I have scenes that will make people uncomfortable.
Speaker 4: So when that happened and the audience kind of reacted to it, I was very kind of off, Yeah, what's going on?
Speaker 1: I think that's it. It's like it's what you said earlier about like it's it's not that this movie necessarily is like out there in terms like there are other movies that are equally I would say, like just bizarre and extreme and have something to say or messy, but like don't have quite the level of a spotlight on them, don't have this level of budget. Like you can find movies like this.
Speaker 4: Adam Driver, Franceport Coppola, I love Buff Dustin Hoffman sort of like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the level of.
Speaker 1: Is like kind of extreme for.
Speaker 2: You know, Laurence Fishburn. Yeah, yeah, great. You know Aubrey Plaza.
Speaker 3: What's your name of the movie.
Speaker 5: It's like Platinum, It's wow, It's wowot Platinum Wow.
Speaker 3: Which people being like.
Speaker 2: That ass character kidding me and uh. Someone I was talking to was like, that name is so stupid. I was like, for what's worth the movie? Rest? Is it?
Speaker 4: Some one says like, how did you get your name, Like it's not a thing like that's anyways, we've talked about this.
Speaker 2: Movie, so we have.
Speaker 3: That's the end of the episode.
Speaker 1: Thank you for your tuning in. Well ensure you guys came all the way here just to talk about that.
Speaker 4: Absolutely sat it on a bus for an hour. You said, on a bus for how long?
Speaker 1: It took me about two hours to get here from my house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it took me about an hour.
Speaker 4: But uh, all I'm saying is that that movie left an impression. Yes, obviously, and it was still thinking about it and it was enough that the three of us people who are on a video game podcast, felt a need.
Speaker 1: I think it's worth to talk about. It's worth experiencing. I'm not gonna pretend like you're gonna love it. You might hate it, and that's fine.
Speaker 4: But I never tell somebody to watch it because they think they'll think it's good.
Speaker 1: Or but like or you might you might not even be able to like, you might come out and being like, I don't know what the fuck were Like, I don't there was nothing redeeming about it. What the fuck were they talking about? But that's okay.
Speaker 2: What I'm saying is it's not remarkable.
Speaker 1: I think you need to experience it for yourself. So I really do recommend at some point check it out, presumably with a nice bottle of Frances for wine.
Speaker 2: I think that was his plan all along.
Speaker 5: Just to just to get people to buy wine.
Speaker 4: Yea, he hasn't been making as many movies over the past few years.
Speaker 2: He's been focusing on his wine. He's like, I need to make a.
Speaker 4: Movie that'll give people an excuse to go buy my way.
Speaker 1: I'm surprised he didn't have like a special wine I know the movie, because his wines have like a pairing.
Speaker 5: List, especially because like, I'm surprised there was no like, at least I didn't notice any like product placement for his wine in the movie, because there's like product placement for like fucking Dell.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh yeah, Samsung Dell. There's some weird.
Speaker 5: Sort of I mean, based on what New York, but it's just like it feels like a BioShock city or whatever.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Then you just see like someone on their Dell laptop, Like what the fuck?
Speaker 2: But it also has the aesthetic of nineteen forties. Yeah, you're like, you know, it's incredible. Yeah, all right, anyway, let's move on.
Speaker 3: No, I'm good.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, never mind, all right, Thank you everyone the game spot after Dark. It's been an honor and a pleasure for everyone listening to what will be probably the final episode. No, if that's not true, Kurt, you've been playing Silent Hill too, oh man, And I am so excited to talk to you about this because there's a lot of opinions around this game. There's been a lot of controversy over the years.
Speaker 5: When it got announced, people weren't sure about it because Bluebird Team and their reputation.
Speaker 1: The Silent Hill community has been uproar. It has come out to glowing, glowing scores, glowing critical praise. The game just came out today as the time of recording, so I guess we'll still see what the wider community sentiment around it is. But the critics loved it. We gave it a time. Mardaliney, you have a very unique perspective on Stile Hill too, if you're comfortable, and of course you are.
Speaker 5: I don't think i've ever seen Twitter to be angry at you for good luck.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if I've ever seen Surely someone else has the same thing as you, But I've never seen it shared, which is that you do not like Nope, the original style Hill too, I do not.
Speaker 4: So for context, obviously, I've kind of like garnered the survival horror guy of games over the past few years. In most cases, when a survival horror game comes out, or one is being reviewed, or one's being explored, whether it's any resionaval game or Alan Awake or something of that nature, usually I'm the one that we lean on. I feel like you're a big survival horror person too. But for whatever reason, I've kind of like gained that, like.
Speaker 5: I can't write, so, uh, you can't write, shut up.
Speaker 2: You can put pencil on a paper and scribble a little bit anyways. But yes, it's true.
Speaker 4: So people always just assumed that I was, Oh, Curry, you like sound Hill, You're excited about this, you want to do this thing, you want to do this thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Controversially, I'm not a sound Hill fan, and I'm specifically not a fan of the original game.
Speaker 2: I won't go I can go as deep as you.
Speaker 4: Want about it, but I've always I've the simplest I could put it, I've always kind of considered it the new Metal of horror. It came out the very specific era of the early two k's when culture in general, like especially new metal music was coming out and everything was just a little grimer and everything was just a little grosser. And I've always felt that Sound Hill Too. I always felt that the audiences were a little bit more apologetic for it than then.
Speaker 2: What the game was. I think I feel like the audience filled in a lot of gaps at the game never really intended in the first place. Sure, So I never had.
Speaker 4: An emotional impact from that game. I think it's a fucking boor to play. I think it's combat as I think it's design wise, it's just not fucking fun. I think I never some of it's more metaphorical things never landed with me.
Speaker 2: Not like I didn't get it, it just didn't. I just didn't care. Sure, and I just never thought it was a good game. That's it. So here we are sound Hill Too remake mm hm, And I think it's really good.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: Like I think it's actually makes the original game. It makes me appreciate the original game nine ways that. Like I apologize for it like certain like audiences do, but I think it gives the original game and its delivery and its metaphors and it's symbolism, more context and finesse and nuance that actually allowed me to feel something when I was playing it and actually allowed me to get a part of it. But a lot of that is owed because the game actually plays like a game.
Speaker 7: Like it actually is a well designed game that actually has like really good bits, really good tinkering, really good puzzle solving, and combat that does, in my opinion, get pretty repetitive, but is enough that kept me engaged and got my sound Hill my sorry, my Survival Horror brain excited.
Speaker 2: Sure, yeah, it's good, cool, It's good. I agree.
Speaker 4: I agree broadly with Mark Delaney's review. I think the only thing for me on a critical standpoint is I do think it's too long. So the original Soundhill too. You can like complete in like six to eight hours on your first run. If you know what you're doing, you can complete in four. My first run of this game was almost eighteen hours long. I couldn't even see.
Speaker 3: Especially for Survival Horror.
Speaker 5: I feel like when you start pushing like twelve plus hours, like it's really tough to keep that tension going. I like, I mean, RESIDU will force pretty long the remake, right, that's like, but I would say there are ten fifteen hours, but I think like that's the there's a curve to it, right where it's like, yeah, no, at a point it no longer becomes a survival horne. It just becomes sort of an action game, which I think works, but like I imagine this does not do.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, also, like that's what the original resonable for is length was like it's about comparable, because like a better comparison to be like Resonable to remake, which I would say is about six to eight hours, it's about on the original game. It's length maybe like a touch longer, but not substantially so right the way this is so what is it? Without getting too spoiler, I guess what what does it add?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: How is it different like that it can be like twice as long.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So interestingly, it's basically verbatim.
Speaker 4: The story, all the cut scenes, the dialogue is essentially verbatim the exact same, with very small subtle changes that I'm sure we'll upset some fans for some reason. Sure, we've put a microscope over this game and know it by heart the original. There are new scenes, but they're very there's only three from what I can tell, and they're very brief, and I think they're actually at a lot of substantial emotional haft without actually taking away from the game's sole focus, which is to you know, kind of be this sort of dreamlike scenario that the main character, Jeams is going on. So the length comes from design, Like in the original game, you could make it to the first level, let's call it the first building, which is the Woodside apartments, Yes, apartment, in about twenty minutes just going you go there, you get to the town, you go through the town, you find your first.
Speaker 2: Key, you go to that building, you do this stuff. I did not reach that building until an hour and a half.
Speaker 4: In the remake. Wow, and staying in that building was, in of itself two to three hours.
Speaker 1: Did that feel okay to me?
Speaker 4: Yes, there's only one. There's only certain parts later in the game where I do feel it. Wudn't call it padding, where I just think they could have chopped a little a little bit, a little bit off. But basically, the length of this game is not in story, not in its dialogue, but in the actual design of the buildings. The buildings themselves act like are more kin to Reson Evil design, where you are in a basically this convoluted maze like building with many locked doors and many locked paths and many places you can't go, so you have to go and like weasel your way around every single milk and cranny to find keys that would onlock more places and certain puzzles. And I do think it benefits the game symbolism, where the first game is like so about like James just kind of unraveling as you go further and further and further and sign Hill too. I think by making the levels longer and more archaic and bizarre, it actually does a better job of making you feel like you're not like going crazy, but like you're doing things that don't really seem to make sense, but you're doing them anyways.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Sure, So I do think it benefits the game. And that's what I was saying.
Speaker 4: It was like, this game is actually enjoyable to play because I replayed the first one while playing this one to work on certain videos we're doing, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like in Silent Hill want or Silence Original Signal.
Speaker 4: Too, and I was like, God fucking damn it, Like we're working my way through these buildings. Also, like, the combat's so insignificant in the first game that I can just run past most enemies.
Speaker 1: It's not challenging the little Because I never finished Silent Hill two, I did try to play a little bit last year, and the thing that surprised me about it was how not difficult.
Speaker 2: I think that's the same thing with this one.
Speaker 4: I didn't die once during my entire play through the reason okay, and that's something that Mark Delaine needed too.
Speaker 2: And for people who are like, well, difficulty, what you're playing on, we were playing on standard, Like, we played on the default standard difficulty.
Speaker 1: But does that at least feel because to me, I think a good survival horror Actually, I think I think the best outcome for a whore is you never actually die, but you always feel like you're a moment's away from them. Yeah, because because if you actually die too many times, it just becomes frustrating and the tension is broken.
Speaker 4: Well that's actually my like probably so my biggest complaint with this game is that I do think the combat does get repetitive. It's only because of the game's length. I think if the game was a few hours shorter, I don't know if I would have.
Speaker 2: Felt that way.
Speaker 4: Okay, there was a few moments where I felt on the brink of death, but not anything like where I was genuinely concerned. That was like I'm not going to make it through, And I think that's a problem with the first game too. I remember finishing the first game having like an abundance of ammunition and a ton of health, So it's like that's not entirely out of place for people returning. Sure, because I never thought Survival Hill two, the original was a well designed survival horror game. I always was kind of confused when people called it a survival horror game.
Speaker 2: Well, I wonder if a lot of that is because.
Speaker 1: Back in the day, you know, there weren't there was a much more newer genre, and people were younger, and maybe that had been their first experience with a game like that, so they didn't. Like you and me, we have, like, you know, at this point, decades of like muscle memory of playing different survival horror games and knowing like the language of video games rice versus like I can see if someone like played Silent Hill two having never played a surrivl horror game, you know before, like being more like what the fuck Like oh, like like that's a different experience.
Speaker 4: I'll say this like basically, like to wrap it up, like it's designed incredibly well.
Speaker 2: It uses very good, tried and true.
Speaker 4: Design mechanics that we've now seen in all the Residubal remakes and Allen Wake two.
Speaker 2: Are being used here.
Speaker 4: Like the hospital scene in Allen Weak two I always is like the quod essential like mini sort of resonable segment.
Speaker 2: Yes, where you're.
Speaker 4: Going through it's so good, and that's most Basically every single level or area in Silent Hill two has gone that treatment. Every single area has gone that treatment, and I think it works really well. It's actually genuinely fun to play. The only thing and this is not a this is not a criticism of the remake, by the way, I have to make that clear. My only overstanding sort of takeaway from it is I think in some ways Blueber all the criticisms Blueber Team as received for all the previous games, in my opinion, are merited. I do not think they handle certain things very well. No in the medium is yeah, But I even think from a design perspective, I don't think sure.
Speaker 2: I've enjoyed many of.
Speaker 4: Their games I hope that this game can be the blueprint for Bluebird going forward, because I think they did an exceptional job. But I think this remake, in my opinion, is equally held back by being a remake. I think it's biggest benefit is that it's a remake because it actually gets the work on foundation.
Speaker 2: That is good. But in trying to stay so close to the original, they.
Speaker 4: Actually hold themselves back in ways because they have to basically follow the blueprint of enemies and design enemy variety because if you were to add any more enemies to sald how to, the fans will go fucking ballistic, and rightfully so, because the enemy types that are in the first game very specific symbolic reasoning for existing, so by creating any more.
Speaker 2: Of those, you then fuck up the what the game was originally.
Speaker 5: That's actually like because I I haven't, like, I've played a lot of Bluebers games, and I haven't really liked any of them, except for maybe Observer, which even then I still had issues with. I had trouble getting through that game by the end. But like, I'm kind of excited that this one has been reviewed well and people are high on it just because yeah, they released a lot of not great games in a row, in my opinion, and I really hope that like this is not turning over a new leaf, but I hope that like this gave them the tools, like the understanding and like sort of yeah to because it seems like they're very capable of making some really interesting, unique horror ips, but they haven't done it yet. And I'm hoping that Silent Hill kind of like propels them into making that horror IP that's actually pretty interesting, because you know, I love the genre. I love survival horror, but like we don't get a lot at least not like budget, right.
Speaker 3: It's like every time one resident, like oh my god, Alan Wake too are like are there any other like.
Speaker 2: Horror?
Speaker 8: Sure's space but they're sure like th Country and like, but but like I don't know like seeing those high budget like I hate being like the graphics.
Speaker 5: Good graphics are cool, but like there's something to be said about like how scary games can be when they have all that tech working towards that as well, Like Alan Wake, like that first game was not scary, and I know Alan Wake is designed to be a survival horror, but like I don't think that would have been nearly as scary without that lighting tech and like that, you know, like it's just I'm excited to see what they do, is what I'm trying to say here, And I'm excited to I haven't played Silent Hill Too yet.
Speaker 1: I was going to skip it. I did not give a shit. I was going to skip it too. I was like, and I don't care.
Speaker 2: For what it's worth.
Speaker 4: I was like messaging these two while I was playing it. In the first five hours of that game was bringing back bad flashbacks for me of the first where I was like, yeah, sound there is a sound hell too all over again. Those Soundhill tours are going to have a good time with this. And then there it gets to a point where the game starts to take a little bit more liberty with its with its.
Speaker 2: Actual design and its level design.
Speaker 4: And I actually thought that the performance is in the game, while working in the confines of the dialogue from the original, feel different, not overly emotional, because I know that's the thing people are like concerned about that there's too much emotion in this game, But I think it's all balanced really well. So I stand before you someone who does not give a shit about the first sound two controversially and actually I'm like, no, you should give this a shot, and it might. Actually for me, it made me kind of appreciate the first one a little bit more.
Speaker 1: I'm excited to check it out. I'm gonna be playing it with my brother, who is like Sound Hill two is one of his favorite games, which is interesting because he's like seven years younger than me, did not play it when it first came out, and like hit right hard for him when he did play it. He's just kind of weird. He's kind of weird like that. He loves playing all their games.
Speaker 2: Also, to recommend people watching Jacobs Ladder.
Speaker 4: If you haven't seen the movie Jacobs Black, I haven't go watch Jacobs Ladder too.
Speaker 2: Is not Jacobs Lader too, Jacob Sladder.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's called tell Hill too because Jacob's like, because I think that's another thing for me and Sound Hill where it's like I was it, it's so obvious to me where the where the seeds come from.
Speaker 2: In some ways.
Speaker 4: But if you, if I think would be a cool thing for you and your brother, would be like, let's watch Jacob's Ladder and then let's play the remakes Hill too, you know.
Speaker 1: And actually that sounds like a fun time. But yeah, well it'll be interesting to see his reaction because at first he was like, I did not want to play this thing at all because me included.
Speaker 2: But that's just because I was.
Speaker 1: But he's he's such a fan and and to be fair, like even just in general, I think is more of the camp of like just feeling like remakes don't necessarily need to exist on the whole, which I still kind of a I'll.
Speaker 4: Go back and forth on it, but I I think it's a case by case pure I just think the medium of games if you were asking me in movies one hundred, like, no, I don't. In most cases remakes don't offer anything. But I've I actually fall on a camp.
Speaker 2: Where I really do respect and appreciate what a remake can do for a game.
Speaker 1: Well, I think you also see wild swings because we have Sound Hill two where it seems like okay successful for you, it actually like enhanced and gave meaning to the original game, versus at the same week we have the Until Dawn remake.
Speaker 2: Oh is that even a remake?
Speaker 1: It's like a remax. Its it out? No, it's out, Oh, it's out. People are playing it and everyone's like, this looks worse. And I've actually seen comparisons and I straight up thought the original was actually the Remax.
Speaker 4: Well wasn't it, because the original it's a PS three game, right.
Speaker 1: Four, It was again that was that was originally developed for the PS three and was in development for so long and it came out on the PS but it started on the PS.
Speaker 4: Three, okay, because I thought it was like, oh, maybe it just has the PS three problem.
Speaker 1: So I think I think that what happened is is they're trying. It's that thing where when you try and add a bunch of new techniques to an older game, it actually ends up making the game look worse because it's like, you know, it's like, oh, by like changing the lighting and adding like crisper textures, you actually make like the animation animations look more like noticeable, if that makes sense right, where it's like, oh, some of the flaws like actually kind of like come out more because they're not being hidden the way the original developers kind of like understood like the tech at the time, So it's like this weird Like I feel that way about like most remasters, like especially like PS one and PS two games, where it's like I always slapped an HD texture on it and you're like, yeah, no, looks fucking worse. Yeah, So like there's that. Also, they did weird things where they do that remaster thing that I cannot stand, where that original N game like that has a blue color palette and they were like, how do we make it feel next gen? Let's make the color super saturated and not blue anymore, And I was like, why would but it looked blue on purpose like that was there was like an intentional color palette to it, like it's and that's like a that's just a general thing that like annoys me. I actually don't like that about the Mental Gear Solid remake. As well as good as that thing does look, the fact that they're like, let's get rid of like the orange, the orangish like yellow lighting and just make it look like HD now or like higher And that's just that's just a personal pet beeve of mine. But it's it's one of those things where it's like, I don't know, yeah, I feel like you're sacrificing the the original like language of the visual language for the sake of just looking nicer. But that's me.
Speaker 3: I don't always mind that.
Speaker 5: I think for me, it's just like it's just how it comes together in the end. Like if I'm playing the metal Gear Solid three remake, which I will play, if I still feel like I am in that space, then then it doesn't bother me.
Speaker 3: But there are definitely situations where it's like why did you change the color?
Speaker 5: I'm sure for Until Dawn that would probably bug me because look is like well, especially that's what it was for me.
Speaker 1: Because at least with metal Gear it's like, well, you know, it is a two games remade and it's completely different, where the Until Don one I genuinely was like, actually, think the original looks better and also you can still play it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I was going to say, why did you?
Speaker 4: Original one is available in most cases, I don't you know, pet aside or whatever.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it's like I in that regards as like, well, I don't need to care because I can just I don't need to buy it that's not the original. But I also just I guess I'm just more like why did you do it? Do that? Why you could have done something else? But whatever, Companies do what they want.
Speaker 5: Kind Of on topic of that, though, guys see red Dead Redemption is finally coming to PC fourteen years later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I am actually very stoked for that.
Speaker 5: I cannot wait Ultra Wide support Native four K, like I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: I'm actually really excited because like that's a game where like I just want to like ride around on my horse. So like the idea of doing that in my Ultra wide like turn the hut off and just be like I'm gonna be a cowboy.
Speaker 2: What did that come out? On? Switch?
Speaker 3: And last October is about a year ago?
Speaker 2: Was just switch?
Speaker 3: It was switching PlayStation five?
Speaker 5: Okay, yes, Switch and PlayStation five and four I think it was like four.
Speaker 3: It was like something something like that.
Speaker 5: But then like I think there was a leak or like someone saw I don't know, some station.
Speaker 1: Store where the description said like available on PC or something and everyone's like what.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's I don't know why, Like I get why Rockstar likes to hold their releases for PC because they know people will double dip.
Speaker 3: I'll double dip.
Speaker 1: That kind of rock like a huge history with PC where like yeah, supposedly there are the rooms for years that it was being worked on. Then it got canceled, but nothing was ever officially confirmed, and.
Speaker 5: I don't even know if I can say this, I'll just be very unspecific, I guess, but like there was a show that I was told that it was supposed to appear on and it did not like like and apparently Rockstar had pulled it, like like literally the day before it was I think the one you're talking about, which is like classic rock Star, I guess, but like to do that and then just sit on it for almost a decade like or classical rock insane.
Speaker 3: But I'm excited as finally coming to PC.
Speaker 5: I I'm really curious to see uh, like, I don't know. I just hope it's a good remaster because the the GTA trilogy after that, I'm like, I don't know, can they do it?
Speaker 2: I mean if they were just taking what the put it on the switch in the five.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, I mean they should be the trailer and it was like, it's not like they're trying to use AI upscale the Texters. It looked just like, yep, that looks like Red Dead.
Speaker 3: No multiplayer though, which bumms me.
Speaker 2: The multiplayer in that first Red Dead was great, so much fun.
Speaker 5: I never played it, so I don't have any no I loved it. Yeah, it was to me, it felt like, at the time, felt so incredible because there was just multiplayer, free realm like done really well. Like I know, they kind of dabbled with it with other Rockstar games, but that was just like sixteen people, you possy up and you just fuck around in them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's kind of the genesis of what eventually became GT online, Right, And then they totally biffed it with Red Dead Two's online. No one seemed to care about that one, so yeah.
Speaker 3: I mean they didn't biff it. It just wasn't billion dollar service like GT online.
Speaker 2: And I sometimes wonder if they if it's a matter of them biffing it, or if it's just the nature of being a cowboys sim online you know what.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like you spend Does that translate the same to like, you know, rolling up and stealing cards and drive?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, or.
Speaker 1: Like people, Hey we added a new yacht. You can spend one hundred dollars worth of GT bucks on it.
Speaker 3: Like you can get a Delorey and that flies around.
Speaker 2: You can't write, you can't you can get a horse that flies around.
Speaker 5: We're talking, which to be fair, like I don't. I wouldn't want I wouldn't have wanted GT or Red Dead Online turn of that anyway, No, there is something like I still play it to be honest, because I just like, you know, riding my fishing.
Speaker 1: I very vividly remember you, me and Matt Paget like spending three hours in that game.
Speaker 5: Playing poker, playing poker. The animations are like there some.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it was like during the pandemic where like let's just get on gtail line.
Speaker 3: ASHM shuffle, pass the cards out.
Speaker 2: It was great. It was fun.
Speaker 5: So it's like playing poker in real time, which is which I think when you're just like fucking around with friends is nice because it's like it feels like you're playing poker, but like it is not efficient at all. But even like with that, they sped up all of the animations by fifty percent and Red Dead Online because people were saying it was too slow.
Speaker 1: Just like, yeah, I thought it was great and like you could like look around to so you can like see people like walking in and out of the.
Speaker 2: Salute, like changing, you can you can order.
Speaker 1: A drink for no reason.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, that's great.
Speaker 1: Great that It was lovely, especially during the pandemic where it's like I'm stuck at my house. Let's you know, they just.
Speaker 2: Need to add King's Corner to Yes, now you're.
Speaker 1: Talking, Why are you playing King's Corner right now? Yeah? We can. Yeah, I'm sure that'll sound great on audio. The other big game that came out this week This is All You two metaphor mostly You played as much as I'd like ten out of ten from GameSpot dot com. Jess reviewed that one. Uh, it's a great review. Should go check it out. I have not finished the game. I'm only thirty hours in, so I can't speak to everything just said, like story wise where it goes, but I can say that what I have played so far I think is fanantastic For me specifically, it is in the ways that it like plays with the what you kind of expect from the formula of Atlas like in Persona, and and kind of mixes it up. I would say the first ten hours of that game, I thought we were a little slow. I was like, it's okay, what is.
Speaker 2: It the whole joke like you just gotta get ten hour, you just gotta get past.
Speaker 3: The ten Yeah, that is the concept those games, but that's what it felt like.
Speaker 1: And I wouldn't say it was a bad ten hours, but like that first because you once you hit ten hours, you've beaten the first Like Dungeon, I would say that Dungeon feels very like the typical Persona five formula of like, oh, okay, like this.
Speaker 3: Is just less interesting.
Speaker 2: I would say a.
Speaker 1: Little less interesting just because the context of of maybe like the villain of the Dungeon is okay, but not you're not as strong as like, yeah, it's not as strong as like Kamashida from Persona five, but it's like, okay, cool, you're doing like Persona five got it from there is when it starts to like more dramatically deviate, and a really cool thing it does is I was really worried the whole game was going to take place in sort of like the main capital a yeah, Grand Try Grand Grand Triad, which is like the capital of Grand Trade, and I was like, oh, is the whole game just gonna take place in this like one area, and it instead you get a vehicle called a it's like a gun runner.
Speaker 3: I think it's ann something runner something runner.
Speaker 1: And then it becomes more of like a road trip game where you're actually moving from town to town, because the whole idea is that you are essentially participating in this like tournament slash like democratic vote to try and become the next king, which is very interesting. So you're you're going from town to town doing quest doing these like activities and drumming up support from people to be like vote for me for to become king.
Speaker 2: And you can you fuck it up?
Speaker 3: Probably not, I mean you can.
Speaker 2: It's rather linear the story.
Speaker 1: It's rather linear, but it does make it feel like it is in the sense that there are because there's the main missions you'll do, but then there's also all these like external activities you can do, like oh, I'll go do a dungeoneer, I'll go help this person here, And every time you do it it has like a physical there's like a counter of like your popularity rank and you'll like see you like going like closer and closer to like the number one spot. So it feels like you're making this like Progres, even if it is maybe somewhat superficial, and that like, well, no matter what at the end of the story, story's is still going to have kind of a linear trajectory, but like it feels like, oh, actually, like, oh I I managed to give that speech really good. My popularity went up a little bit. And like it, like it feels like you're making progress, and I think it's it's really well done and feels I think all the side content like is super engaging and interesting. The combat is so freaking good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, combat's great. It's it. I mean, you talked about it. But it feels like.
Speaker 5: The best version of the Atlas turn based style.
Speaker 1: Yes, absolutely like it. Like on its surface, it's like, oh, this is Persona, but it has a bunch of very like subtle and more varied tweaks that kind of like make it stand out. The archetypes, which are you're like persona esques aren't really personas. They're there. It's basically a job system, okay, so you know you're it's it's more about like like any character can have any job, so there there's much more variation in the way you can structure your party. It also demands more of you. So a problem I have with Persona is eventually you hit a point where you just fuse a persona that's so good that it kind of trivializes.
Speaker 3: That nullifies every kind of damage and just yeah, like.
Speaker 1: Or or or You'll you'll hit a rhythm with persona where it's like, Okay, I've spent a bunch of time fusing, I've got a really good couple of personas. I can just use these personas for the next like ten to fifteen hours and then eventually all need to mix them up. But you kind of are like, I'm locked in, Like I don't need to worry anymore right this game because of the way the jobs work, where where you're constantly needing to and.
Speaker 3: How enemies respond.
Speaker 1: Enemies respond to jobs, so like you'll get a quest where it's like, hey, if you bring a mage, this enemy will actually get frenzied and go and like attack them more. So you actually don't want to have this job on you. It'll it'll constantly be recommending like you want this job, you want this job, you shouldn't bring this one. And because the the you can't like the jobs let you. There's a thing called skill inheritance, where like if you build up one job, you can like take a skill from it and put it in another job, but it's very limited, so you can never like turn one job into this like overpowered you know thing that can just like do everything like they always have, Like this thing can really like it's good for this specific role, and you need to constantly be balancing what jobs you have with you know, your party. And because of that, I found myself constantly needing to reassess, switching out archetypes, changing up my party, switching what skills I have, to the point where it never got boring because I didn't have that point where I was just like okay, like I got or like my party teams locked and I don't need to worry about it, I can just get through. Instead, it was like, okay, nope, like this this maybe I've I've locked in my party for this specific floor with these certain enemy types, but even within that dungeon, it'll be like and the enemies have now switched. And usually they they do it in such a way where like they have the exact opposite like you know, weaknesses are attacks where it's like, okay, I need to completely switch my party and like re evaluate it. So it's incredibly satisfying because I find myself like constantly having to engage with the combat and like think about it in a way that persona kind of fumbles with and yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Was the thing.
Speaker 5: The way they handle the weakness mechanics makes combat a little trickier, which sure I like because in persona, right, if you just hit every enemy's weakness, yeah they knocked down, you can keep chaining they knock down, and then you do an all out attack that there's a lot of damage in this. You have like I forget what they're called, but you've got like, depending on how many people in your party, you've got a certain amount of turn crystals, yes, and you can if you hit the weakness rather than you'll like get a smaller one which can't be chained again.
Speaker 3: But it gives you an extra attack.
Speaker 5: So it's like there's a lot of planning, like in terms of like, Okay, it's my turn, but this person's weak. But I don't want to waste one of my first moves on healing because then I won't be able to get an extra attack. So I've got to attack with you and then if I can pass, and that'll shrink one of the turn crystals or whatever, but then I won't be wasting a turn. So I think there's a lot of like strategy that comes along with just exploiting weaknesses and then also one thing I think you kind of mentioned the front and back system where you can like send people to the back and like they take less damage, but there's certain moves they can't use depending on where.
Speaker 1: They'll do less damage.
Speaker 5: And I think that is something that took a while for me to kind of it's simple, but for some reason, I guess just my persona brain was like having trouble understanding.
Speaker 3: Once they did, it was like, Okay, this is kind of cool.
Speaker 5: I feel like there's just like a little extra bit of strategy that it's like, okay, right, I'll send my mages to the back so they're a little more protected, or like I've been using the gunner a lot recently, which is which is cool, but like half the moves.
Speaker 3: Don't work in the front.
Speaker 1: I always have to move them in the back.
Speaker 5: I have to send Hildenberg or Heisenberg or whatever to the back.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's very satisfying to like kind of like figure out that puzzle and be like, how can I maximize as many turns as possible in like one round and then the enemies can also like do the same thing, or if like the consequences for failing, like if you like miss an attack, it'll like, oh yeah, takes it, like takes away two of your turns. So you could you could be like, I have the perfect setup, your first person withs it and immediately it's like now your turns over. No one else gets to go and you and you can go from like I have this battle to like I'm dead or instantly.
Speaker 5: Or it is so brutal an enemy sneaks up on you, or like before you can knot get back, and then it's just like all right, there goes like three quarters of my health for every single party member.
Speaker 1: So that could be really brutal. But at the same time, uh, the game is actually very forgiving about like checkpoints, like yeah, you can restart any battle. You can also restart any battle, which is really like fun, so you can just.
Speaker 3: Like The thing that does bug me though, is that you.
Speaker 1: Can choose it a little bit.
Speaker 3: Well, if you if.
Speaker 5: You die in the battle, because you can only do it on your turn, you can't start the battle over at that point. It takes you back to your checkpoint, and I'm like you, you're the entire battle. You let me start it over. But the second I die, You're like, no, you got to.
Speaker 3: Go back to your checkpoint.
Speaker 1: But but like it does alleviate a little bit that frustration where like I remember like starting a boss battle and then I was like, all right, let's try uh, let's try this move, because I don't know what doings be to you, Like deflect, your person's now dead, you've lost your whole turn, and I'm just like, that's just a just roll that back real quick, and it's cool, Like it's it. I would say it is simultaneously like more it gives you room to be more forgiving by letting you like experiment and like turn back, but then it's also much more challenging and demanding and actually makes you like think about it more. So I think it's it's a brilliant combat system.
Speaker 5: I would say for me, I'm twenty hours in, twenty two hours in or so, like almost done with the second dungeon. I believe stories not houcking me yet I keep waiting for like something to happen. I think for me, a lot of it is just sure the fantasy setting, which is weird because I do like fantasy, but I don't know, it's just something about it's just just not quite clicking. But I don't want to keep giving it a try, especially if they're just's review. It sounds like there's some crazy things that happen. I know, everyone seems to really really like this game who's played out of it, so like I want to keep playing, and like it's not I'm not having trouble playing it because I'm still enjoying the combat. I think what you mentioned about, like how it's structured, I think is so much more interesting or exciting compared to Persona like it is. It is cool how like you get a side question and it's like, oh, but that's like a three day trip, so it's like, okay.
Speaker 3: When can I make that work?
Speaker 5: And you're you're not just planning like your little time slot, You're planning like multiple days, and I think that works in terms of the context of the story, which is cool.
Speaker 1: The dungeons also kind of varied themselves a little bit more Like the third Dungeons really interesting because it's not what you'd expect from a dungeon, but without spoiling it, the way that dungeon works is like the dungeon itself can actually be done a lot quicker, but they intentionally like up the challenge of that Dungeon way early, so they actually are like, hey, what you shouldn't You could try and do it now, but what you should do is this is instead go around and like do all these other activities to like build your party up and stuff, because and then you can go try and tackle this thing. But it gives you that flexibility, like if you want, you can just go try and force your way through it, so it it avoids that rhythm that persona kind of falls into where it's like okay, like yep, ye New Dungeon is going to do this as quick as I can, and then we're gonna read and then you know, like the final day, you have to go steal the treasure, like you know, they keep it fresh, and I think that's really cool. You have any questions, I know you're not the biggest persona fan, but a lot of that has to.
Speaker 3: Do with with teens.
Speaker 5: The team does have the structure teams this kids. I will say this.
Speaker 1: Game might potentially appeal to you because it doesn't have that problem, but also it maybe it won't because you might just not be in the fantasy or I.
Speaker 3: Mean, there's no.
Speaker 2: Look right now, just I'm back to playing hidden object games. At the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're like I need a yeah playing like I don't know what it was.
Speaker 5: I had to go to the store and look at it and have like twelve reviews, and it was like it was like Horror Stories one through three collection or something.
Speaker 2: Oh, I sent him a thing that you can buy like a like that thing's a steal. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 4: I should definitely like ten bucks for like there was a Jean Luke sent me a Lime for a like ten detective hidden Object puzzle.
Speaker 2: Game for a Switch, and I looked it up.
Speaker 4: I've played three of them, but those games are ten dollars each on Steam.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it's ten.
Speaker 4: Dollars for ten dollar a game, and I would you know, I can't speak for all ten.
Speaker 3: Of these games, hey, but even if three of them, that's.
Speaker 2: One of them is definitely one of them I played is bad.
Speaker 1: So that was like collection five. There's four other oh yeah, because for the full price of one of one triple A game, I could get Like is it the same published games?
Speaker 4: It's it's it's narrowed down to basically three different publishers, but the main one is Big Fish.
Speaker 5: And that's that's because I was wondering if there's like some I don't know deal where they're like someone some some suit is just collecting all the hidden object games, like getting the rights for Switch cartridge base.
Speaker 4: Big Fish is the big one that's distributing all those games. It's I mean, obviously the main market of this, and not that we're gonna I'll answer your question. It's like, I not that I think the demographic market for those games is on PC. But it is funny because all those games on PC have like ten or no reviews at all, So when you see one that has one hundred, you're like, oh, share is a big deal. This one's a big one, which is why.
Speaker 3: That's not like weird porn.
Speaker 4: Which is why I suggest True Fears for Saken Souls Part one because that game actually has like seven hundred reviews on Steam and is.
Speaker 2: Actually very good. Anyways, Yeah, I'm playing Halloween Collected Stories.
Speaker 1: That's what it was.
Speaker 2: That's what I was what season exactly.
Speaker 4: And already finished. It was actually pretty good, you know, for what they are.
Speaker 3: You did all of them, You played all one through three.
Speaker 2: Damn. Yeah, they're not that long. Okay, It's it's pretty good that I would I would recommend if you're looking for a spooky season game, just the get in the mood.
Speaker 3: How do they run on your PC?
Speaker 2: On my uh? Look, crafts do I have forty eight forty eighty?
Speaker 3: A little bit of frame rate issues better than that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Frame drop when I retracing off?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know.
Speaker 4: Once I turn ray tracing off, I can. I can insert the key into that cabinet and find the butterfly wings and the anchor in the hidden object thing real fast.
Speaker 2: Anyways, Uh, I have I don't know, it's it's there's the the I don't know how you put it.
Speaker 4: The the epic turn based RPG genre in general. I like, there's a bunch of those games that I love, but I definitely they are they are sometimes a barrier of entry to me. Sure, I'm still waiting for a Persona to remake.
Speaker 2: I think that's the one.
Speaker 4: Everyone tells me, Kurt, you will like this one, and if there is a more accessible way to play it, then I will jump on it in a heartbeat. Having played four and five, I just it's I think, at the end of the day, teens and little kids aside.
Speaker 2: I just don't know if it's my taste. I think that's fair and does interest me. No, but it doesn't. I'm not deterred by it either. I just it just needs to be I don't know the right time when I'm not playing Halloween Hidden Object games.
Speaker 1: That's that's fair.
Speaker 2: I am. I am fascinated by the political part of it.
Speaker 4: I never thought I would say that in my life, but after playing Frost Pump two and like understanding what it needs, what you need to do in order to be a politician, at times, metaphor sounds interesting to me. But also Frost Pump two is so fucking punishing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what I say.
Speaker 4: I was like, you know, can you fuck it up? Because Frost Pump two sucking it up as a as a.
Speaker 1: Steward metaphor definitely goes for a different take on that, that perspective that I think is a little more like optimistic frost punk.
Speaker 2: But I do think it sometimes just comes down to a matter of taste, especially for what Atlas games look like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I will say, uh, if you ever do decide to play it, it runs fantastic on steam Deck.
Speaker 2: Okay, it's the main barrier, to be honest in most cases, Like I can't imagine committing to one hundred and twenty hours game. I'm on a console.
Speaker 1: Or I played the majority of it while traveling, like on a plane. See that to me is compelling, and it was it Broughts like flawlessly on that on that Uh, I.
Speaker 3: Was thinking about it.
Speaker 5: I was like, man, I regret selling my Steam deck because I could have been playing it too. But then I was like, oh, no, I have it on Xbox. Couldn't do that anyway, Yes, I could play Xbox Cloud. I don't even know if it were to that. I don't yeah any of that shit, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm excited. I want to see.
Speaker 4: We got PS five codes for Soundhill too, but I would like I don't know if I'm gonna buy it, but I would like it on PC because there's eight fucking endings in that game, and that game is fucking long, and I would like to actually see to the new endings in that thing, just out of curiosity to see what Bluebirds done.
Speaker 2: But I don't know. I think somebody online has already unlocked them. Who got on early code.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I saw one of them recommended to me. I was like, that game's not even out yet, yeah, and it's you doing House and that ending online. It is out now though right now it's today, but this is the weekend.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Blueber.
Speaker 4: For what it's worth, Blueberg and Konami's embargo was extremely light. They basically said we could post whatever we want, wow restrictions except for the endings. That was the only thing that was like, don't show the new endings. Sure, So I was like surprised. They're like, we're gonna just show everything, and I was trying to be very You actually helped me out. I was trying to be very restrictive in my video review of it because I still think it's worth not including a lot of things in that game, even if.
Speaker 2: People already know what happens. Yeah, but I can't. Yeah, I don't know. They were like, yeah, you go for it. I was like, okay, so yeah, we'll see.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I want to see that runs on Steam Deck because there's no way I'm going to be sitting on my couch on my PS five and the controller that gives me carpal tunnel to get all eight of those endings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that'll be interesting. Resident Evil for runs great on Steam Deck, like decently. You know, if you can play that, it's a good game.
Speaker 1: That's a good game. We've been going a little long, so I feel like we should wrap, but if you will indulge me, I do because I have no other place to talk about this. I do very, very briefly. I want to talk about Dragon Age two because I've been playing through all the drum Yeah yeah, and then you guys can walk out and I'll just keep talking.
Speaker 4: Second's get going dragon Age too.
Speaker 1: So last podcast, I was talking to Jacob McCort about how I had finished Dragon Age origins the original one, and still think that game is great. Highly recommend it to anyone who wants to try and play it, just you know, be aware that the PC version might uh crash on you a lot because of the memory leak issue that the game has. It was very unfortunate. But you can always play it on Xbox if you want, which is how I played it. Uh, if you're so inclined. But played it with with Georgia. She loved it and we're like, let's just go right into two. Uh. Two is a Do you guys know much about Dragon h two?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 5: I know a lot of the context around it, but I never played it like mad and like they made its.
Speaker 1: Very quickly. It was such a quick turnaround, and it was an incredibly divisive game when it came out, A lot of people really did not like it.
Speaker 3: Takes place in one city the entire time.
Speaker 1: A lot of time. To be fair, it does have some problems like that game straight up like reuses the same environments multiple times because of just how limited they were on like budget and time, Like you'll you'll walk into like the same cave map and it's supposed to be like five different caves like that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: The course of its like, it does have some like legitimate.
Speaker 1: Issues that I don't think you can like necessarily forgive or or you're just like yeah, like Overlook Overlook. That said, I loved that game when it came out. I was a huge defender of that game, And a lot of it has to do with I think it's storytelling is I'm not gonna say, like the greatest, but at the time extremely unconventional, especially for like buyo words typical, like it does not have that you know, we're going to save the world and like that that kind of like buio er formula of that I think you know origins and even like later Dragonage games like Inquisition and Mass that kind of follow like it that that game's structure is very unique and different. I like that it takes place in one city. It also takes place over the course of seven years, so you get to see like how things evolve and change, how characters grow. I think the character writing is fantastic. It has some of my favorite party members and characters in all of video games.
Speaker 2: So despite that game's.
Speaker 1: Flaws, I genuinely really loved it. I was very nervous, like, Okay, it's been thirteen years now since that game came out, Like is it gonna have a how is it going to poorly? Am I going to kind of be like, oh, man, like you know this is this is not great anymore. Is Georgia gonna like it? You know, she loved it. She thought it was great. She was not even bothered by like like we laughed about like oh hey, look it's a different cave, but like she actually did not mind. She did not care about that stuff. And for myself, I actually think that game has aged more gracefully.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: And I think a lot of it has to do with removed from maybe the context of when it came out and sort of like the because when it came out it was so like Dragon Age Origins was so incredible that like having that be the follow up was like what the fuck right, like because of how pared down it was in this I think having that that context be kind of like in the rear view and just sort of appreciating what this game is and what it does. I still think a lot of it storytelling is like very unique. It's not perfect. It definitely has some problems. They introduced the like they you can only play as like a human, so they got rid of multiple race options for like character customization. They also switched over to the mass effect wheel style dialogue wheel, which I stand by the fact that I think that is a like worse dialogue system period in RPGs like versus the like. Here's just an actual list of things that, like, you know, the original Origins does, what like Balder's Gate does as well. Like I just think that system sucks, like even a mass efect. I'm just like, I think it's worse dialog system. And I'm sad that Dragon Age switched over to that in too, and it's actually kept it like the new one is gonna still have the Wheel, and I was like, I buyra. I know you like popularized the Wheel, but I genuinely think it's a worse system and you should abandon it. That said, I think that game is is actually like fantastic, and playing it now like really cemented to me, like it's removed.
Speaker 4: You've been able to sea from yeah, the heels of Dragon Age fame.
Speaker 2: And also knowing that the developers were you know it.
Speaker 1: Is Georgia, like, oh yeah, this game was made like you know, like like a year or so.
Speaker 2: She was shocked.
Speaker 1: She's like this level because it is like insane how much variation and degree and like what can happen with like your party members and choices and outcomes. She was like they made this in a year. That's incredible. I will forgive like the repeated cave environment. So that was just really cool. That was a really cool thing to like kind of go back to a game and like be like, oh man, I hope this game holds up and I actually love this game even more.
Speaker 2: And what's up next? During Age Inquisition.
Speaker 1: Yep, we immediately like we beat it, and then she's like, can I make my character for Inquisition? Which is great because Inquisition has a great character creator. It's really good.
Speaker 2: Is that the last one?
Speaker 1: The last one before, so we have the rest of the month because it comes out on.
Speaker 5: Twenty eighth, I think thirty first, thirty first, jesus Us when.
Speaker 2: You or sorry Red Dead PC's the twenty ninth and an Inquisition.
Speaker 1: I kind of have the opposite opinion on where I think at the time, I was like, Wow, this game like looks so good and this and that and and I have I've thought less of over the years because of how much that game's like structure is like doing like MMOE like fetch quest stuff. It really it gates a lot of its story where it's like, hey, you can't do the story until you hit this power, which means you need to go grind. It's like it's very MMO like. Also, like they were like, we're gonna make everything open world now because Skyrim was really popular at the time and changed everything, and I actually think it's it's worse, Like I don't think Dragon Age needs to be open world. It's it actually makes that game less interesting structurally. So that's a weird one where I think there's such such amazing storytelling and writing in Inquisition, But the gameplay suffers, so it'll be interesting playing this one that said I downloaded a bunch of mods that lets you bypass some of that stuff, so it's like, hey, we're gonna like the game. That game has like arbitrary like timers and stuff, and there's a mod that's like, hey, just get rid of those timers, or we'll boost how much XPU game so you don't have to worry about grinding.
Speaker 5: When it's like do you want to send people out to collect things for you? And it's like in five hours.
Speaker 1: Or whatever, five real real world hours you have to wait, and.
Speaker 5: It's like does it does it clock while you're like not playing or is it only like in game.
Speaker 1: Clocks while you're not playing. But there would be one still annoying, But there's one that's like twenty four hours, and it's like, why did you're just doing this to like for an no arbitrary reason to make people like play the game more. But it's like it isn't like no one actually likes that system at all. So there's just mods that straight up like remove the timers. I'm like, that's fine, make it so you gain XP faster so we don't have to worry about grinding. Like I'm I'm removing all these barriers so that we can get through the game faster, but also like I think it'll genuinely be a better experience. So I'll report back on how that that goes once we get through it.
Speaker 5: But kind of related, but it's kind of crazy how much EA has changed over the time, Like sinking back to Dragon Age too, where they gave him like ten months to make that entire game meridiculous, Vailguard has taken like a decade, you know. I know that's an exaggeration. I don't think they've taken a decade, but it's just a real long time. It is a very long time, which is which is crazy because yeah, i get there's still reasons to hate EA. I'm sure like big corporation, they still like turn out those sports games in ten months where they just like prey on a lot of like a micro transaction, yeah, and that sort of thing. But like I I've said it before, but like I've been kind of impressed with like EA's output in recent years in terms of their like games like story single player games with.
Speaker 3: Like Dragon Age and Wild Hearts.
Speaker 5: And I didn't really care much for the new Star Wars game, but people seem to really like it, and it seemed like it apart from the fact that it was fucking busted when it came out, it.
Speaker 3: Avoided a lot of like the EA bullshit.
Speaker 1: How long they're willing to like let that new skate just cook for like years and years now? Like I'm genuinely because I do think like from a development standpoint, it's great, and I'm glad Bierer is given that time to really like get the new Dragon Age right, because I really think they need it, Like, like the reputation of that studio is kind of really hinging on this game. I do wonder like at a certain point, I'm like, what is the top rast of EA getting out of that, because that can't be like that's got to be such a so much money at a certain point. But like I'm just I'm glad that they're letting them do it, But I'm also just like I don't know how long can this last?
Speaker 2: How long this last?
Speaker 1: Or like one person leaves and that person was the only one holding back, like some other person being like we got to cut all this and blah blah blah, like you know that stuff shifts depending on who's in charge, but for now.
Speaker 2: It's good.
Speaker 1: Anyway. Sorry, that was my little dragon age too.
Speaker 3: I just wanted to It's okay, we can cut it in post.
Speaker 1: Thank you. Yeah. I was gonna I was gonna maybe make a video about it, but I was like, I don't have time for that. So this is my opportunity to just say I read that game. Thank you so much everyone for listening games Spout off the Dark. It's going to be back here holding our microphones my.
Speaker 5: Living room, holding this microphone. I'm definitely feeling your hands.
Speaker 4: I have mind's resting on the table and I'm still feeling my hands are Yeah.
Speaker 1: I've been moving it around a lot. Hopefully that audio is not.
Speaker 3: To it sounds okay, that's good, be fine.
Speaker 1: We will try and be back next week. See how that goes. I mean, I ideally will I'd like to continue to do in person if if we can make that work.
Speaker 5: I mean, I think it's gonna hinge on you. You've got two hours to get here.
Speaker 1: I mean, I don't mind. I genuinely I like getting out of my house, so that doesn't bother me. But yeah, we'll try and be back next week. Yeah, Jake, thank you for having us to your house.
Speaker 3: Of course, thanks for coming.
Speaker 1: Thanks for this kind of fun ing room table, Kurt, thank you for building a microphone.
Speaker 2: I love holding a boom.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, I'm respond to that.
Speaker 5: All right.
Speaker 1: Everybody, thank you so much for listening, and we will see you all next time, folks.
Speaker 3: Bye,