Speaker 1: Kbm E Houston, a TV HD two Houston, The Astros, the Rockets, Rockets Basketball.
Speaker 2: Your home for your home teams.
Speaker 1: This is Sports Talk seven ninety make Houston Sports Done, number one precpt on your car radio and the new it improved iHeartRadio app free never sounded so good.
Speaker 2: Saulisbury Salsbury, Houston. Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 1: Sean Salisbury to usc Troupes.
Speaker 2: Longtime friend, Shawn Salisbury, Ryan Lima, go Lobos.
Speaker 1: This is the Sean Salisbury show.
Speaker 3: Rockets fell to the Oklahoma City Thunder. They play the Pacers tonight, six o'clock tip off, five o'clock launch. Better right here on seven ninety your home for Rockets basketball. Houston beats Kansas in Big twelve Conference play. Talking about these Astros seven to one, three two, one ninety is the number to join.
Speaker 2: What's up, bandy, hey?
Speaker 4: Before we get to the ass. Here's we're talking about Bob Gibson. The other day.
Speaker 1: There's a quote I.
Speaker 4: Found for him. He said, I hated all the All Star games. I hated having to talk to guys that I spent the rest of the season trying to kick their ass.
Speaker 2: They were the enemy to me.
Speaker 4: And then I've found another quote about hate ahead and telling uh, some rookies in the age is how to approach Bob Gibson.
Speaker 2: He said, don't look at him, don't.
Speaker 4: Look at him, don't dig in, do none of that, because they'll knock you down. I missed those days. Oh yeah, And you know, Sehn thinking about that attitude and then thinking about the attitude that Bruce Matthews shared about every practice, every preseason, regular game he played as if if he didn't play well, he could lose his job. I missed that in professional sports, that kind of attitude, and not many people have that kind of attitude.
Speaker 5: They make more than the cod They all make more than the coach that cut they can cut them.
Speaker 2: That's why. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the player empowerments at an all time high. Everybody else goes, the player goes last.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the golden days of professional sports are long ago, real quick. If the astro had to start today, yeah, this is my lineup two Ayon left Cam Smith and right field out res d H Walker, first base, DS Catching Paradas, third base, Penius shortstop Dubon centerfield.
Speaker 5: I like that. I mean, you know what, you don't have to tell me that one twice. I'm all in without two Vay Dubon and Cam Smith. I got no issue there. And then Jake Myers and Chas mccormacker are your fill ins. Yeah, now unless Chads McCormick can prove that he's going to get back to hitting the ball to right center field and pushing the ball the other way and regained two years ago.
Speaker 2: I put it this way.
Speaker 5: I say this this way, I always say, and you'll let you also finish, Andy, whether it's football or anything. When people talk to me about quarterback or a receivers, he ready to plays a rookie, soa well, let me ask you this also, I'll stick to quarterback. Is the quarterback? Hey, turn your put your mute on for a second. There, Andy, you got, we can hear all that noise.
Speaker 2: Thank you. There you go, Just mute until it's time for you to talk. There you go.
Speaker 5: Is that when they say, well, why would you play the rookie? And if I said, well, is the veteran playing like a rookie? Play the rookie. If the rookie's doing the same thing, making the same mistakes and also doing the same thing that veterans do, guess what guess what play the rookie play the same thing here? If let's just say cam Smith beats him out? Yeah, yes, who you play? You play cam Smith?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 5: That's Spring Tainting's not just there for everybody's uh fun and games. Spring trains there to get better and compete. Didn't we hear that they were going to compete? People were gonna give guys a chance. Some guys are just built different. I know the routine is go single A, double A, triple A and let's go play.
Speaker 2: Right. Sometimes that double A guy is just better?
Speaker 5: Is this better? He's just different? And if you're built different, let me build you on the major league roster. And I don't know it is early, but the point is if you're just talking about on paper the thought process for optics, Andy, and I know Andy, well, we appreciate your insight too, brother. I love that lineup. Uh, that lineup's better than the one you that they're proposed going with. I don't have a problem with the hitting order. Cam Smith in the two hole, that kind of pop you can actually you could probably flip cam Smith and Jordan as well, and Christian Walker sitting in the four hole gives me I'm good there, yeah, and on yer, and so I'm with I think Andy's lineup is pretty We're not going to get that lineup, yeah, but that's that's listen. I'd rather grow and learn with somebody who's gonna I think some days got superstar written all over him, then hoping that it works out the other way. Now. And you know what, we both like Chazz, give me Chaz from two years ago, and I got a solid player in the outfield, and we've said that, but I think Cam Smith's gonna make it miserable to keep him.
Speaker 2: Out of the lineup, so we off the big league club for that matter.
Speaker 3: We always talk about how we judge players and what we judged not judge, judged them on. Well, Cam Smith, this is so far what we can judge him on. He's hitting five seventy one a triple, two home runs, six RBIs, four walks, one strikeout. He's had seven at bats, he's got an on base percentage of seven hundred and an OPS of two thousand and four to fourteen. Twenty four to fourteen is his OPS. Again, it's just spring training. Judge base exactly all we're judging on and so far in these what seven or eight at bats. He has looked really good. So if he's got seven at bats, he's got four walks, so that's eleven plate appearances, maybe twelve plate appearances.
Speaker 2: He's only struck out once, and he showed the power.
Speaker 3: He missed a Grand Slam yesterday by like literally a foot, and he cleared the bases.
Speaker 2: Why are we afraid to let him play through this? Why?
Speaker 3: I know that you and I would play. I would. I would, man, it'd be I need a wow factor movement, it would. It would be really hard for me to keep him off the opening day roster. I know he's not going to be because that whole clock thing. They don't want to start the service.
Speaker 2: Time all that.
Speaker 5: Right, that's that's a problem. That is a problem, and quite frankly, it's unfair to the player.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 3: I agree it's gonna be really hard for him to make this opening day roster, but I don't think he'll be far off. Dude, he and they say he's gonna start in double A. He's already been assigned to double A. Like when when they got him. If he goes in there and rakes for three weeks, move him.
Speaker 2: Dude, i't even start him in double A. I'd start him straight up in triple A. Yeah. I always say, Adam to that, let me feel, let me feel against the good guys first.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, well they they they, I don't know if you saw yesterday, they already reassigned Jacob Melton.
Speaker 2: He's back in triple A.
Speaker 3: He's not making the open day roster, but camp Smith hasn't been reassigned yet, so obviously they like seeing what he's doing so far. Early in spring training, we're about what halfway through, no.
Speaker 2: Little bit more. It'll be the like this time next week, we'll be halfway through.
Speaker 3: They're going to give him as many abasts as possible in spring training. And I again, I don't think he starts up at the big I would love to see it because I'm like you, why not? But then you got to think about the the admin side of things, if you will, the clock, the service time, all of that, making the forty man, then having to move somebody off of it, so forth and so on. He's going to start in I don't see how he starts in double A.
Speaker 2: I really don't. I know. When did it ever have that? You're one of my best twenty six? Yeah? Here you go, Yeah, here's your spot. I just don't. I don't understand, but you mean I understand, but it bugs me. I guess.
Speaker 3: But imagine this a scenario where the Houston Astros traded Kyle Tucker, a full, a for real five tool player, which is very rare in today's game. They traded him because they weren't going to be able for him, and they got Cam Smith who blossoms into like a Jordon type hitter.
Speaker 5: Well, he's got more raw power, not that Jordon I'm talking about, right, and Tuk Tucker.
Speaker 2: He does just pure raw power.
Speaker 5: Yeah, imagine that, Well I have, and I can't wait to see it.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be hard for him make field.
Speaker 5: See for me, I think the pressures on the guys that are veterans here, not on the young guy. I think he's just going out and raking and do what he does playing baseball. Those guys got to be feeling.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: Live.
Speaker 5: I I stubbed my toe two times. That dude's playing starting in left to right or he won't be left. They move out two bay back to second, starting the right field right, and we don't have a try. Frankly, we don't have a legitimate right fielder right now, No, because in truth, Chas McCormick's a left and a left fielder. Yeah, and Kaspatch in centerfield. We there're no right field arm on those three, that's for sure.
Speaker 3: Depending on who plays second base, whether it's Dubon Brendan Rodgers, if he does well, depending on those let's just let's just talk about those two. Let's just say that they're struggling. June July, early August. Camp Smith's is in Triple A and he's playing well. I wouldn't be surprised if they bring him up. He's playing third base, Estoc Breatus is over at second base.
Speaker 5: Well, it also wouldn't be bothered if he kept Dubon as the If that happens and he's your still your Swiss Army and you had the Zenzo and left field and Camp forget about this now, give me that corner out feels pretty good. Yeah, if you're looking at young studs that and go to Baltimore Orioles route right, and then you're you're in, dude, you're looking to Letter, just get to Rake and.
Speaker 3: And then if and if if you're the Houston Astros. You know I heard the KBO is looking for outfielders, so Jake Myers might be available.
Speaker 2: Really, Yeah, while you're down on Jake.
Speaker 3: Because he he's a two twenty hinter, I don't care if you got to.
Speaker 5: Your third derogatory, is it?
Speaker 3: That's exactly what you saw the wheel st to two twenty hitters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he is