Speaker 1: Oh hey, it's the lady who keeps candles in her wallet because you never know when you're going to be in a pinch. And assume me someone's birthday, and then you'll be more excited about singing to them than they'll be excited about being sunk to Ali. Ward back with another episode of Ologies. Okay, you like brains? Does your brain like brains? It probably does so right now, your soft, squishy think lump is just hanging out in your head. It's thinking about itself. How does it work? What's in there? Why do I want to eat cool whip out of the tub with my fingers? And why aren't I more excited about folding my laundry? The answer molecular neurobiology. But before we splash splash into your mood juices, let's take care of some business up top, and thank all the folks on patreon dot com slash ologies for being in the club. You all support the show and you hear what topics I'm working on first, and you submit your questions for theologists. Thanks to everyone wearing ologies merch from ologiesmerch dot com. Thanks to everyone whos an episode to a friend or who subscribes on their devices and rates, and especially in reviews, because you know, I read your words and I pick afresheet to put on blast, such as Dusky, who says they're falling back in love with life and that theologists have shown me the light. The world is a beautiful place, and with all these smart monkeys out there, maybe, just maybe we have a chance to share it with future generations. PS. Thanks to Ali, I texted my crush and got some banks. Boy howdy, sincerely, Dusky into that, I say hey. Also side note, happy wedding Lizzy Vette. And hello to Kangaroo two, who left me a one star review because they didn't like that I named so many patrons who ask questions, but Kangaroo too. Isn't it nice to hear your name in a podcast you love, isn't it? Kangaroo two just saying? Also, the bat episodes just got a lot of questions. Okay, Kangaroo two, it's freakin' bats. I hope I have proven my point that people like to hear their names. But I get it, and I'm gonna read faster. Okay. Molecular neurobiology, let's get into it. Let's break it down. Molecules. The word derives from the Latin for tiny mass, and neuro comes from the Greek for sinew or chord or penis. Because neurons are elongated they look like strings or chords or I guess penises. Biology, of course the study of life, so molecular neurobiology the study of the tiny masses that bring our dick look and brain cells to life. I'm just reading facts here now. This ologist got a bachelor's in biochemistry at uc San Diego and later a PhD and molecular neuroscience at Caltech. She's also a dancer, a gymnast, a violinist, a TEDx youth speaker, a text strategist, and a TV host for Voice of America, Al Jazeera, America, Seeker, Discovery News, and more. She's an if THEN STEM Ambassador for the American Association for the Advancement of Science and a Linda Hill Philanthropies Literally she has appointed a role model to other women and girls in science, technology, engineering, in math fields. She also appears on segments of the new CBS show Mission Unstoppable, where she is known accurately as doctor Brain. I've known her for five years and have adored her since we first sat down and shared a basket of sweet potato fries in twenty fourteen, and I was just straight up giddy to have her on my couch and to ask her one million questions about what a braid is made of in white matter and gray matter, and what makes us happy? And how do anidepressants work, and why are some substances addictive? What happens on drugs? And can I have new habits? And what is anxiety all about? And how depression works? And caffeine hacks that may not work. So get ready to fill your ears and the thing between your ears with all kinds of wisdom from wonderful person neuroscientist, your new good friend and molecular neurobiologist, doctor Crystal Dilworth. Start recording. Can you say your first and last name? Please pronounce it right, Crystal Dilworth, or don't mean to spell it for you? No, okay, doctor Dilworth, Doctor Dilware. I always like to ask this question. What was it like when you like came out of the room from defending and you were like, I'm doctor Dilworth.
Speaker 2: So I came out of the room and my committee was still in there deliberating, And normally that is one of the scariest moments in anyone's life because you're not sure what they're going to say.
Speaker 1: But I was.
Speaker 2: I was pretty sure because my committee chair had been like, we're just going.
Speaker 1: To chat for a little bit, we'll be right out.
Speaker 2: They came out and they shook my hand and they said congratulations, doctor Dilware, and I got an entirely new lease on life. Oh my god, like everything changed.
Speaker 1: Did you know growing up that you were going to be a doctor or a neuroscientist. I mean, you are really good at a lot of things, and I think that that sometimes is difficult.
Speaker 2: No, I was going to be a dancer. I was going to be on stage at Lincoln Center. Just like all of the books that I had read about how to be a professional ballet dancer had nothing to do with science really.
Speaker 1: And then, so were you studying ballet and then sneaking into chem classes? How did it work?
Speaker 2: Who were you cheating on scholastically? I think the decision to go to grad school. I was definitely cheating on my dance classes. So I was in professional dance school in New York City doing the things that you have to do to be a professional dancer, and I just wasn't fulfilled by the experience. I think it's really hard. I was lying about my age so that I could be in the school to begin with. And dancers are They're treated like empty vessels, right, the choreographer, the artistic director, these are the people that are filling the empty vessel with the intention. And when you have a bachelor's degree in biochemistry and you're used to doing independent research as an intern in a research lab, being treated like you have nothing personally to contribute is very difficult.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I.
Speaker 2: Was looking for an opportunity to be an adult and to be treated like I had something to intellectually contribute. I wasn't getting that in my artistic life. So I started skipping my classes and taking the subway uptown to Columbia and attending the chemistry department lectures, which is insane now that I look back on it now, like nobody goes to those lectures voluntarily, Like the grad students are only there because of the free pizza. But I was actually there for the intellectual stimulation, which is terrifying and awful.
Speaker 1: Wait, they give pizza out of these things. Otherwise nobody goes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, most of those like weekly lectures are accompanied by some type of bribe.
Speaker 1: So why neuroscience. Well, I guess.
Speaker 2: I was always interested in people and their behavior because maybe as a homeschooled kid that didn't have like a really diverse social network. I mean I had a social network, but not the diversity that you wouldn't see in like public school, for instance.
Speaker 1: Some people's their behavior.
Speaker 2: Seemed unfathomable to me, like I just don't understand, like what is this programming and how does it work?
Speaker 1: And so I thought, oh.
Speaker 2: Maybe I would study history, maybe I would study sociology or psychology. And my dad said no, no, he was like, that's not a real science. None of those are real sciences, and you have to choose a real science.
Speaker 1: What was your dad? Did your dad study?
Speaker 2: Saying he yeah, his background is in physics. My mom's background is in microbiology. That was what they understood, okay, And I don't think they were afraid of all the things the parents are afraid of, like she's never going to get a job, she's going to be destitute, she's going to move back home with.
Speaker 1: My mom right now.
Speaker 2: By the way, so FYI best laid plans of my cin men.
Speaker 1: Yes, but you're like an international traveler and you're like about to move to Sumatra.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's true, Yeah it's there are reasons also that I decided to move in with my mother to help take care of her as well.
Speaker 1: But you know, like I said, this is their plan. But so brains, like, do you start with molecular biology when you decide? Okay, I want to figure out how this weird big lump of stuff in my bone bowl in my head works? Like where do you even begin with that? Do you start with like neural anatomy? Do you start with chemistry of it? Like?
Speaker 2: For me, the eureka moment was I was taking organic chemistry because you know, typical freshman okem when everybody has stake. And I was also taking biopsychology, which is the closest I could get to a psyche class and still like, have this be approved? And I should like clarify that I started college really young, so I was probably fourteen or fifteen at this time, so my parents were still approving my course load, so I was restricted in what courses I could take based on their approval.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, wait, I've known you for four years and I did not know that you started college at fourteen or fifteen. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I started at a junior college, which you know, your first two years are the types of courses st're able to take there. And I transferred to a four year college much later.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I don't think I was wearing a broad at fourteen. I wasn't either. Your parents would have obviously like, help you figure out what courses you're going to take, so biopsychic.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of backfired because I was in biopsych and they laid out in the book and in the lecture the pictures of the different neurotransmitters, the chemicals in our brain that sort of determined the brain functionality that translates into behavior. And I would just learned from my organic chemistry class how to identify the critical chemical functionalities, like that's an oxygen group, like anoah group, hydroxyl, that's a benzene ring, and sort of start to understand how those things sort of fit with our biology.
Speaker 1: And that was like the aha moment. If you're like, quick, word, what is it benzene ring? It's not an oil gang, but more elementally, it's six carbon atoms that are joined in a ring with a hydrogen atom stuck to each and she was like, ah, my brain loves this stuff. Now. Her bachelor's and biocam and so far, most of her college courses were more generally about the human body chemistry and didn't focus on the thinky parts of the human body as much.
Speaker 2: So I didn't really go back to focusing on the brain until my senior year. So all of my upper division electives were in neuroscience, and that's when I was like, Oh.
Speaker 1: This is how I want to apply these things. What, okay, stupid question. What is the difference between neuroscience, neurology, neurobiology, molecular neurobiology. I feel like if you don't work with brains, you're like, oh, olks, kind of call it a neuro something or other. Like what are those different fields mean?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm going to take you on a little journey. Okay, I am a first year graduate student. I have not yet chosen a lab I am. I'm at cal Tech. Every single person that I'm meeting is smarter than me. I am incredibly intimidated and anxious and like, really really need to do a good job otherwise I'm going to fail life. And I go into my first meeting with the professor that's going to be my PhD thesis advisor. But I don't know that at the time, and I'm trying to impress him with how smart I am, and I tell him I'm really interested in neurology and I'm really interested in brains and the things that brains do.
Speaker 1: And he's like, I'm going to stop you right there, I'm let you finish.
Speaker 2: Oh God, if you're interested in neurology, then you should be going to meet. We don't do neurology here. Neuroscience is the science behind the brain, and we do research on how the brain works, and we get PhDs and that's the type of science that we can do on the brain. Here are you still interested? And so that is the difference. God, I would have had immediate reactive diarrhea and just excuse myself from life. I would have been like oops. But you know when you're so anxious and your whole like fighter flight system is engaged and you're kind of like too numb to it, and you're just like, okay, take the hit and keep rolling, like keep going, keep going, is nothing you can do about it.
Speaker 1: So what is a neurologist exactly. Okay, they are physicians, medical doctors with mds, probably stethoscopes, I don't know who treat neurological diseases and disorders that affect the nerves and spinal cord and of course the brain. So you can show up in their office and say, please talk fix me. That is a neurologia. I honestly don't know about the deethoscopes. I just made that up. They might not even need them, but you get the general aesthetic, and a neuroscientist.
Speaker 2: Studies the science behind how the brain works and why the brain works, so you have to have knowledge of some of that stuff, but it's mostly like hypothesis driven investigation. Okay, So a brain, what is it? What is this big? Is it mostly fat?
Speaker 1: What is it? Is it proteins? What is it made of? Yeah, it's all those good things.
Speaker 2: It's all fats and proteins and carbohydrates all smushed together into a collection of different types of cells.
Speaker 1: There's like eighty.
Speaker 2: Billion neurons and they're all sort of smushed together, and there's different types of those neurons, those brain cells, and they're clustered together in different areas, and those different areas have specific functions that all have to work together, and that sort of what we think of as that like the orchestra of the brain as an organ.
Speaker 1: But that's like not even it. But wait, there's more.
Speaker 2: There's like a whole other layer of cells we call them glial cells or astrocytes that help those neurons to function. Oh so it's not just neurons, but there's like a whole other set of support cells. And they're not even really support cells because they doing really important stuff.
Speaker 1: And what are the astrocytes and glial cells do? They do so many things.
Speaker 2: So my favorite type of support cell is the cell that creates myelination around electrons. So that's like little wire insulators to help the electric part of the signal go faster down the axon of the neurons, so I can like send if I'm a cell in your cell, and I can send my message to you like way faster because of the insulation. And that's actually one of the last parts of brain maturation. So when we talk about brains like not being fully cooked until our mid twenties and we're still developing, one of the last things that things that happened is that insulation process goes in in that prefrontal cortex area, which is so important for decision making.
Speaker 1: So glial cells are a support cell and glial means glue because it was thought that glial cells just kind of held all the neurons together, kind of like a bunch of mashed potatoes around a pile of yarn. But they do so much more than that. And there are different types that do different things. We won't go into all of them. But the astrocytes are starry shaped, hence astro and they give nutrients to neurons, they help repair damage, and the all they got. Dendrocytes insulate the neurons in the brain by laying down this fatty cozy padding called mylin, which is like rubber around an electrical cord or a snuggie that protects you from live wires. Now, if you have multiple sclerosis like my mom aka our dear Fancy Nancy, who taught you the best insomnia hack ever in the Somnology episode, the immune system of folks with MS likes to eat away at that mylin and cause nerve and signaling troubles. To side note, thank you to all the neuroscientists and neurel just working to find a cure for MS. We appreciate it and I want to interview you about it please. Now, why is it important for these diva neurons to be so supported and so insulated? What do they look like? What do they do? Now? Neurons themselves, those are long and have fingers at one end, kind of can you explain what a neuron is?
Speaker 2: They can be long, they can be short, but the critical parts of the neuron are the cell body, which is where all the good stuff happens, just like a normal cell, and the axon, which is sort of like that long wire that connects one end to whatever other cell it wants to wants to talk to. There's projections both from on each side of the neuron. Those would be considered like dendrites, and those dendrites create the connections which we call synapses that are house cells talk.
Speaker 1: To each other. So it's like sort of the main main parts. So neurons, they're a cell with a sometimes long axon to reach out to other cells and little fingery dendrites at the end. And you may remember the dentrology episode with Casey Clapp about trees so just think of those little branches at the end of the neurons. Those are dendrites. They also kind of look like if a bird had a bunch of toes and then those toes had toes. That's your brain. Okay, So how are all these neurons just chit chatting? Gabin? They're shooting the shit running the show up there? What are they doing?
Speaker 2: My favorite part of neuroscience is the fact that neurons use both electricity and chemicals. Oh it's like communication. Okay, Oh, tell me about that.
Speaker 1: So the really.
Speaker 2: Important part of neurons is that there's like all of these little gates that are like regulating the ions flowing in and out of them.
Speaker 1: And like ions are.
Speaker 2: Like magnesium, calcium, sodium, these are really chlorine. Theose are really important, and they're just like constantly moving back and forth. But because all of those ions are charged, you get like a little electrical fear from each of the different cells. And so if I wanted to pass a signal to you, it would start as an electrical field that goes all the way down my axon due to the opening and closing, opening and closing and ions. But then it gets the end and I can't transmit electricity to you because there's a little gap, And so what does a cell do. The cell's like, okay, crap, we have to communicate to the alley cell. She likes serotonin. We're going to release serotonin into this little gap. And so that's when the electrical signal gets converted into a chemical signal, which you can read because you speak the serotonin language. Because you have little proteins on the ends of you on like the end of your synaps and you are catching all of those little serotonin molecules and bring them into you, and when there's enough of them, it generates another electrical signal that you can send.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. And how many cells are doing this all the time in our brain lumps?
Speaker 2: So I don't know how many cells would be active at a given time because it really depends on what we're doing. But if you think there's like eighty billion neurons and then there's like estimate like one hundred trillion synapses, oh my god. Because it's not necessarily one synapse per or two synapses per cell. You can have more connections. So this is a lot. Yeah, we're talking.
Speaker 1: The final number is a shit ton many many zeros. Yeah, okay, and so neurotransmitters, this is like a chemical messenger that cells are sending to each other. Yeah, and what are the main neurotransmitters. I know we hear about dopamine and serotonin and maybe neuropinephrine, but take me through some of the players here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I think dopamine is like the media darling of the neurotransmitter world. You have a lot of specific chemical like the three that you mentioned, that are involved in a lot of behaviors. But then there's other types of messengers as well. So we have small like peptides like we would say oxytocin, which it's not necessarily a formal neurotransmitter, but it's really critical in modulating brain function and behavior.
Speaker 1: For instance, oxytocin, you may have heard, is a neuropeptide, not to be confused with OxyContin, which is in opiate. But oxytocin can promote bonding and feelings of comfort and attachment with partners and members of a group, or with babies. And yes, it does increase when you pet a dog, which is why you probably would not follow around an unfamiliar goose in a park and pick up its poo, but you would for your dog and not think twice. Now onto more neurotransmitters. We use acetylcholine a lot.
Speaker 2: So that's a neurotransmitter that I studied because of its relation to nicotine, which I'm sure we'll get to. And acetyl colin is really important because it's like the fast acting neurotransmitter, and the brains of a few need to get a cell to respond right away. Acetyl colin might be the way to go. And it's so fast acting that it's used in the body as well to like help with muscle contractions.
Speaker 1: My god, is it like the text message of neurotransmitter, get at me? Just send me a text?
Speaker 2: Your phone is blowing off?
Speaker 1: And so acetyl colin can that do more than just make you happy or alert? Is? Does it? Can that send all kinds of messages to you? Yeah? It can.
Speaker 2: So if you think we talked about the brain being groups of different types of cells, and each of those cell groups probably has like different layers of cells as well, So the complexity and the brain is really really difficult I think to imagine each of those different functional groups of cells or different parts of the brain have connections to one, if not many many others, and they're all talking to each other. That's why I kind of call it the orchestra. They're all working together. And if you think about each different system, like maybe the string system's dopamine system, and the brass section would be your norapinephrin, everybody sort of is talking to each other, but in different languages. And it might be that imsel that releases acetylcholine, but you don't have any receptors for that, so you can't see my signal, but somebody else can.
Speaker 1: Did you use that metaphor in your PhD defense? Because I think it slaps you should have.
Speaker 2: I didn't. I don't the orchestra of the brain. I'm sure it's not original. I think it's pretty good.
Speaker 1: I'm going to look it up and i'll tell you if anyone else has used it. Okay, so other folks have used this, and it turns out because it's a really apt good analogy. Also, when it comes to working on brains, Crystal use data from rodent brains to try to extrapolate what was happening in human brains, including I guess her own. Did you ever have any existential crises when you were like, my brain is studying brains brains on brains on brains. Does that ever freak you out? No?
Speaker 2: I think there's the Carl Staian quote like we are the way for the universe to know itself, and so I think that that's kind of how I feel how I feel as a neuroscientist.
Speaker 1: Do you ever think about certain reactions you have to life or certain like if you're having a down day or an update? Are you ever thinking about like your orchestra, like your like horn sections going off right? Absolutely? You doo? Yeah, of course does that help you at all when you're relating to other people thinking Okay, well this is not just this person's a jerk, or maybe this person isn't being sad for effect, Like do you think about them as like a concert of chemicals ever?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think obviously I can. That's when I'm thinking, like rationally thinking and using that prefrontal cortex to try and compose a logical flow around why somebody.
Speaker 1: Is behaving the way that they are. But you know, in an.
Speaker 2: Everyday life, it's usually more a motion driven, reactivity driven. That's how our brains evolved, is to react to external stimuli, not necessarily to think and problem solve about them as the first thing, right, because.
Speaker 1: You don't want to be like, is it a snake? I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: If it's a snake, I'm going to keep walking towards it until I'm absolutely sure. Ouch now I'm dying, right, Like, that's not how brains. Our brains work. So I think when I can take a step back and think rationally about like why is this person yelling at me?
Speaker 1: It is helpful. But that's you know, I'm human just like everybody else. And that prefrontal cortex that's right behind our forehead, and that's the kind of meteor chunk that's evolved more recently.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I think that's what we'd like to think of as one of the differentiating parts of you know, human brains versus other animal brains. And I want to make a comment about animal brains in a second, But it's our ability to extrapolate, to use logic and reasoning to come up with creative solutions to problems, to not just react, and to think about downstream effects. That's what the prefrontal cortex helps us do. But what I was going to say, which is one of those myth busting things. Yeah, I'm going to talk to Ali about neuroscience. What do I want people to know about neuroscience? Okay?
Speaker 1: The pop culture reference to the lizard brain, yes, yes, okay, okay, Okay, let's let's debunk this. Flim flam really bothers me. Okay.
Speaker 2: I was going to ask about it because it's often one used incorrectly.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's usually when when people say, don't listen to your lizard brain, it's just lizard brain. I think what they mean is, don't listen to your limbic system, okay, or your mid brain or the center of your brain in which like emotions are generated and relevant. But I think when that quote, and I am blaming Sagan again for this, when the same quote of there's an alligator brain around which everything else is wrapped was put out there, he meant something even more basal, like your brain stem and the parts of the brain that control respiration and heartbeat and those type of really really basic biological functions. But the fact of the matter is is that lizards and reptiles actually have something similar to a cortex.
Speaker 1: They do, yeah, they do.
Speaker 2: It's nothing like the giant, you know, white matter that we have. It's nothing like the big, you know, prefrontal cortex that you would see in primates, but it's something that evolves similarly and when they evolved, I mean in gestational period and you see like very similar wiring there. So poor lizards, they're really getting a bad map. Also, are alligators even lizards? Back in the rology episode, I asked lizard expert Aaron McGee about.
Speaker 1: It, stupidest question, alligators are lizards? No? No, thank you for telling me that. I just realized. I was like, how big does a lizard get? Is an alley? Why isn't an alligator a lizard? I'm sorry, it is so so much horsepucky flim flam debunked all at once. So you mentioned white matter and gray matter. What is the difference?
Speaker 2: So white matter is all is basically the wiring, Okay, So when you would you would say, like, there's a pathway between two brain regions and that's the white matter, it's the connections, and gray matter is like more the cell bodies and the guyer, the guier stuff, okay, is.
Speaker 1: On it kind of is there like an apple skin on a brain.
Speaker 2: Not the way that you are describing it, But we do have a barrier between the brain and the blood system that provides the glucose and the other nutrients to the brain, and that's the blood brain barrier is critically important to protecting the brain from all the things that we're exposed to.
Speaker 1: Can more things leak through that blood brain barrier than we realize? Are we finding that out?
Speaker 2: Probably we used to think that it was impenetrable, and now we know that there's evidence of a lot more sort of transmission through that barrier than we think.
Speaker 1: But it really does protect us.
Speaker 2: I mean, think about like all of the pharmacologicals that you've ever taken in your life, and some of them can slip through, and that's good because we need them to regulate our behavior. And some of them are kept out by that barrier, which is great because they could be potentially toxic.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, getting back to neurotransfers. Oh no, I wanted to ask if you'd ever touched a brain before, so I had to get us off course. I have touched what do you make brain?
Speaker 2: It's very delicate, like you don't want to make a lot of relief fast food, and they're preserved brains. I haven't touched a brain of a person, which some neurosurgeons have. I cannot speak to what it's like to touch you a live brain, but one that's been preserved and formaldehyde.
Speaker 1: It's very delicate.
Speaker 2: It is as gooey as you think you when you're holding it, if you're anything like me, just there's an oppressive sense of responsibility that happens when you're thinking about the life that that brain was really responsible for guiding.
Speaker 1: I don't hold it for very long.
Speaker 2: I like held it and I kind of like felt the profound nature of what I was doing, and then and then I gave it back to the technician.
Speaker 1: What was the setting here? What was a setting? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Honestly, this was an undergrad at a science fair. Whoa And that was just one of the really cool exhibits, Like there were mouse brains and a human brain, and you know, like other brains that you could just kind of like touch and play with.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't it be crazy if you don'tated your brain to science And they're like, you're just gonna go to science fairs, You're gonna recruit some people. You'd be like, what gay, sweet, shake some hands, kiss some babies, not shake some babies. We answer I will send that background. Okay, So neurotransmitters, serotonin, dopamine. Stupid question, but what do they do do they have different roles in terms of our emotions, They have very very different roles.
Speaker 2: Okay, dopamine I'm going to start with because this is everybody loves a good dopamine story. I love, and without dopamine, we really wouldn't be motivated to do anything. So it's really interesting in computer science when they talk about computers having rewards so that you can teach it, like artificial intelligence system that you're on the right track, keep going. We have similar rewards. You're on the right track, keep going. And dopamine is how our brains have been evolved to receive this reward. So it makes us feel happy, but not really happy, more just like pleasure, like things are good and anything that you would do that would keep you alive illicits dopamine response really, so eating, drinking, sleeping, hang out with your friends, anything that you might enjoy, you get a little bit of a dopamine hit. So it's basically to keep us doing things that are going to keep the human race alive.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Basically, whereas serotonin is more nuanced. It's not just pleasure, but it's mood and it's sleep, and it's really helping to modulate the way that those little dopamine hits are interpreted by the larger orchestra, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And what happens when they get off? Is there not enough to send a signal to the next neuron? Is there too much? And why does it seem like a very slim percentage of people have a good balance I like, or maybe it's just living in LA or Internet culture, but I feel like everyone's like, oh yeah, mirror transmitters are whack.
Speaker 2: I'm no minor, so I mean unfortunately, I want I wanted to respond to you philosophically, Like, when we first sequenced the human genome, the lead researcher on that project was the genome that they chose to sequence. Does that mean that he's the most normal genome and every other genome is going to be compared to his? Maybe it was an arbitrary center for science to pick yea right.
Speaker 1: Okay, so quick aside. There was the publicly funded human Genome project, and the first public genome came mostly from a single anonymous male donor. I think this would be a sperm donor from Buffalo, New York. But then aside privately funded genome research project was launched by geneticist J. Craig Ventner, who later admitted that his DNA was among the first donor pool to be fully sequenced. Tossing his own genetics into a research project was later addressed in the journal Science in an article bearing the headline not wicked perhaps, but tacky. And so when we say off, what is off right? Really right? Right?
Speaker 2: So in mental health profession, it's if you have a difference that's interfering with your ability to perform tasks in your personal or professional life, like your ability to be a part of society, then it's a difference that needs to be treated as abnormal.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So I don't know if we can say that they're necessarily off for us as an individual, but they're definitely off for us as a group of humans that all need to act together. Does that make sense? Yeah, Yeah, there's definitely differences. And those differences can come from genetics, it can come from environment. It can come from adaptations to trauma or differences in our early environment as our brains were still developing. There's so many different ways that we can develop differences in the way that our neurotransmitter systems function.
Speaker 1: And what happens if we have too much dopamine.
Speaker 2: It seems like the more the merrier it is, the more the merrier, but it's also the way that it is dispensed. I guess, like you described it in the Addictionology episode as this like sprinkler system, right, and it's the intermittent release of dopamine that keeps us going.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: If you have too much dopamine, then you're probably not motivated to do anything because you've got everything that you need. So it's kind of like what do you gift to the person that has everything right? Your system is cool, so there's no reason to do anything. In early experiments around the dopamine ergic system, they allowed rodents to just self administer stimulation to their dopamine like whenever they wanted. So this is like basically a too much dopamine situation because domain makes you feel good, so you're just going to keep saying yes, please, yes, please, yes please, yes please, and it basically interrupted all functions except for sleep, So they just didn't do anything.
Speaker 1: But like people have.
Speaker 2: Probably experienced this before, like you're in a really good early stage of your relationship.
Speaker 1: You don't eat, You like your sleep's kind of disrupted.
Speaker 2: All you want to do is like read your text messages over and over and over again, or check your phone to see if you've got another one. Your normal function is disrupted because you've got dopeamine floating around in there at levels that you're totally not used to, and there's probably some moxytocin in there as well, like really fucking things.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Wait, so then at what point does that decline? Is that like the two year period of like I'm over this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we get we get used to it, yeah, right, and then we can sort of like mellow out and become more normal.
Speaker 1: The rats, some of them died.
Speaker 2: Because they didn't They didn't eat or really do anything because they were just super happy pressing that lever for their dopamine hit.
Speaker 1: So don't do that, just pathologically fulfilled? No, okay. Side note. I read one article that estimated four years was when dopamine starts to wane. But I really should ask a psycho neuroendocrinologist or perhaps a biological anthropologist about it. But if things are starting to feel a little stale with a partner. Some researchers think that doing scary or novel things together like I don't know, ziplining or going to haunted houses or Costco on a Saturday, those things can get those new romance brain juices squirting again. Okay, what happens if you don't have enough dopamine?
Speaker 2: If you don't have enough dopamine, it depends on what parts of your system are disrupted. But most of the classical symptoms that we see for like ADHD or depression or you know, even anxiety and in some cases usually have to do a disruption of the dopemeansys. That's why it gets all the media attention. The classic depression is lower levels of dopamine, which means that like you're just not having the same response that someone that doesn't have depression, like your to your dog or to you know, normal things in your life that would normally make you happy. You're tired, you're lethargic, there's a lack of motivation, and you just aren't getting pleasure from the task as you normally would. And so it's like that grayness, that lack of color. Everything sort of seems blah, that would be what it would be like to not have enough dopamine in your system.
Speaker 1: And is that because the dopamine isn't being produced at high enough levels or it's just like not making the jump between the neurons.
Speaker 2: That's something that is sort of on an individual basis, but I would say overall, it's probably your system isn't able to produce enough dopamine. So there's all these little like packages of the dopamine chemicals that are sitting at the terminals, like near the synapse, like just ready for the signal like release us.
Speaker 1: We're ready to go.
Speaker 2: And someone that has lower numbers of those little vesicles, those little dopamine packets, like even if the cell was like okay, go release all the dopamine that you have is going to be a lower level, less packages of dopamine released than like what we would consider to be a normal So.
Speaker 1: And then what about serotonin? Then if does serotonin play a big part in depression and anxiety and ADHD as well and all of the other things that all of us.
Speaker 2: Have the problem with the orchestra is that you can't just remove one section right like they they all work together. So yes, they're definitely serotonin is definitely implicated and pretty much like and our benefrin is imprecated in pretty much everything. But it's just a matter of like what is the major contribution, right, So serotonin and depression, we're used to thinking about SSR rise, which are selective serotonin uptake inhibitors, which that's the medication that we are giving to people with depression. And why is that We want more serotonin to be floating around in that synapse, in that space between the two cells. We wanted to be sitting around longer, so that signal to continue elevating your mood is a bigger signal. So there's usually these little like pacmans that live in that space between the two cells that collect all of the leftover molecules and bring them back into the cell, like Okay, we don't need you anymore, so you're going to come and live back in the cell again.
Speaker 1: And if we inhibit.
Speaker 2: Those little like pac man collectors, then you get more chemical in that synapse, and that raises the probability that the next cell is going to have a prolonged signal from that neurotransmitter.
Speaker 1: Okay, so by cock blocking the neurotransmitter gobblers, there will be more in the spaces between the neurons to deliver messages. Kind of like if you canceled a neurotransmitter's lift and you just kept them at the party longer. You're like, sorry, I what can I say? We love avenue around, You're great at conversation, we love the signals. You said, this is a question that I have had for years. But I feel like I've read somewhere that neuroscientists don't really know how antidepressants work yet. Now is that true?
Speaker 2: There's look, there's so many medications and like, I'm sorry, Big Pharma, there's so many medications that we don't actually understand the molecular mechanism for. But if it works and there's the side effects aren't too bad, We're just like, just put it out there and it'll help people.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Okay, So we don't totally know how SSRIs work. We just know that a certain percent of people when they take them are like feeling better.
Speaker 2: We know exactly how they work, we don't know why they work. Like, we don't know why keeping the serotonin or the noropenephrin or the dopeamin around in the synapse and increasing the signal leads to the behavioral changes.
Speaker 1: Because the level of cox, we can.
Speaker 2: Ask those molecular questions, like, that's the level I like to look at, because it's a lot more concrete. We can get answers there. But the multiple layers of complexity from like, well, which cells are getting the attenuated signal? And what brain regions are those cells in? Oh, but it's this brain region. But it's only those brain layers of that brain region. And what are those particular active regions doing when they're working in concert? And how does that map to the genetic background of this individual and the external stimulus? And why does that mean the giving this SSRI four weeks later, this person is willing to get off their couch.
Speaker 1: We don't know. Yeah. I always wondered about the lag time there, because that is the toughest. And I know that this is like a psychopharmacology question, but that is the toughest. If it's like, hey, you're depressed, take this thing, man, six weeks, there's a twenty percent chance you might feel better. You're like, you could have a lot of faith and lucky for me, like you know, well not lucky for me. But I tried a few different medications for anxiety and depression before I found one that worked. I've mentioned this in another episode, but I tried a genetic test to see which anti anxiety or antidepressants would work better for me, and I ended up going with something that was recommended. It was an SNRI, but you should do your own research. I did a ton of reading, and I decided I didn't have much to lose, and I tried a company called gene Site, which has a sliding scale. It's super affordable. They are not a sponsor, but it helped me out, but your mileage definitely may bury. Anyway, let's move on to Crystal's research on nicotine addiction and what did you learn about how addiction work works having studied the mechanisms behind it nicotine?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so for nicotine, it's it's super crazy, like you're actually when you're exposing yourself to nicotine, you're actually changing the way that proteins in your brain are expressing. So they're like, oh cool, I really like this. I would like it again, I would like it in a specific way. So I'm going to change the way that I'm making the proteins in my cells so that they are better able to bind and respond to this drug that I have now been exposed to and no exists in the world.
Speaker 1: And so what does nicotine does? Does it wedge itself where a different neurotransmitter should be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so nicotine looks a lot like acetyl colline. Okay, So the receptors that bind nicotine also bind acetyl coline. Okay, they are called nicotinic acetyl coleine receptors. Of course, I like dominated my life for five years. But what looks similar to a protein might not actually look similar to us.
Speaker 1: So acetylcholine is the one that's responsible for those muscular contractions. It's super fast acting. Scientists also think it may affect memory and attention. And Crystal produced from her purse two molecular models as one does. So she showed me that nicotine is a double ringed molecule with two nitrogens and acetylcholine has one nitrogen that's crowded with methyl groups, which are three hydrogens bonded to a carbon. But in a nutshell, crystal describes both molecules is having similar friends a carbon atoms that give them kind of an analogous bulk when it comes to fitting into the same receptors, so.
Speaker 2: They look similar enough to the receptor that it responds in the same way.
Speaker 1: Got it. So it's like when you're doing a puzzle and you find a piece that doesn't quite fit, but you can jam it in and then it fucks everything else up pretty much exactly.
Speaker 2: It's exactly like that that I should have just said that.
Speaker 1: That's exactly, That's exactly what's happening. And so how do some people who might be say, predisposed to that kind of addiction, how do they have a better chance at at beating it if they want to, If they're like, I'm done with you vaping, I'm done with you like cigarettes, Like what do they do well?
Speaker 2: Beating addiction is really challenging because you have like a learning and memory component, and then you have a chemical dependence component, especially for smoking, because you'll be like, oh, I'm done, I don't smoke anymore. I am successful, and then you'll have one drink too many and suddenly you've got a cigarette in your hand and you're not exactly sure why, and there's a chemical reason for that. But there's also a learning and memory component, Like you definitely beat your addiction to smoking at work and at home. You did not beat the addiction to smoking at the club.
Speaker 1: In the club, we are all family.
Speaker 2: Because you've learned that you have three drinks, then you go outside and you have a smoke. Yeah, so it's those behaviors that can really hang up recovery. Nicotine is actually one of the most substances. So I was listening to the addictionology episode that you did, and yeah, there's a lot of really really terrible withdrawal symptoms, Like withdrawing from alcohol is potentially lethal, so you need to be careful. We've seen media depictions of withdrawal from heroin, for instance, which looks like it's the one where everyone's like, oh my god, I'm being attacked by bugs and my skin is itchy and I need to get my skin off. Like that's awful. You're not going to get that if you try and quit smoking. But once you go through those really really awful, terrible withdrawal periods, you have a really good chance of not doing those drugs again, whereas with nicotine, like it can come back really at any time.
Speaker 1: Okay, so what can one do? Is there any promise when it comes to like meditation and mindfulness and breathing exercise. Like, can you retrain your brain through healthier behaviors at all? Yeah, you can definitely retrain your brain. You can also through meditation, mindfulness, and cognitive behavioral therapy reduce the reason that you are smoking at all. So we see smoking behaviors especially with an ad addicts. But yeah, like if.
Speaker 2: People that are addicted to nicotine oftentimes are in response to other things. So schizophrenics have a very specific smoking behavior. We think they're trying to self medicate. Veterans come back not even with PTSD, but just that have come back from really traumatic experiences. Possibly they're smoking in the characteristic way that they smoke to reduce activity in their amygdalah.
Speaker 1: So you may remember the magdala from the two part errology episode, and it is a little brain nugget that I like to think of as the screaming almond of terror. So some folks may self administer nicotine to appease their shrieking almond. Does it solve problems? No, not at all, It only makes life worse. Blame your almond and then try to outsmart it.
Speaker 2: There's lots of different indications that could cause somebody to smoke heavily that would make quitting harder.
Speaker 1: Is that at all the same when it comes to anxiety or depression or ADHD. Are there any kind of situational triggers that might affect our levels of neurotransmitter. Yeah, that's a problem.
Speaker 2: So we have that learning and memory, as I was saying component, So if we've learned something is dangerous to us, even if it's not, then our bodies are going to continue to respond to it that way and you have to retrain. No, that's not like some people are scared of dogs. Some people are scared of people right like you are snakes.
Speaker 1: My mom is terrified of snakes. And it is my brother in law, and he is like a six foot four heavy metal guitarist with hair down to his waist, and he can't if he sees a snake on TV, he's like darted off. Yeap. My mom is exactly the same way. She gets like the chills because.
Speaker 2: And then she like runs out of she runs out of the room. And so if she decided that was something that she wanted to learn to not be afraid of, there are ways through like overexposure and other therapeutic methods that I don't know anything about by no exist to rewire the brain. Probably that direct signal of snake fear is never going to really go away, but you might be able to add a layer regulation like snake checkpoint. Okay, I'm going to react in a different way instead of I'm going to react with my fear response.
Speaker 1: And will your neurons form new pathways? Will they kind of make new channels you.
Speaker 2: Are referring to neuroplasticity, Yes, you did. Yeah, you can definitely create new connections. We're doing that all the time. If we couldn't do that, we wouldn't be able to learn anything new, and we wouldn't be able to teach babies all the things that they need to learn in order to be competent humans.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've got to assume that there's some of those out there.
Speaker 2: So yes, through using particular pathways, particular connections in the brain, you can make those connections stronger. You can recruit other connections to make that pathway larger. I like to think of it as like you start out with like a hiking trail that you were told was a trail and Google Maps doesn't really have it on there, and you have need a machete and you're kind of like hacking through it.
Speaker 1: It's a jungle in here.
Speaker 2: But if you walk that trail many, many times, it eventually becomes much easier to use, and you can eventually become like a six lane super highway that's very very fast to go down.
Speaker 1: And that's the preferred method because our brains are really lazy.
Speaker 2: They don't want to do new things, they don't want to think about anything. They just want to react because that's how we stay alive. And so if you can train your brain that taking the path that you want it to take is actually easiest and allows it to be the most lazy, then you can influence the path that it chooses to take without you cognitively having to control it all the time.
Speaker 1: So practice makes a habit kind of yes, yes, well, that's good to know. I have a gym membership that I have not used a month, and I'm like, okay, can I ask you questions for patrons? Yeah? Okay, Now, before we dive into the questions that you submitted on Patreon, a few words about sponsors who make it possible for ologies to donate to a different cause each week. Now, Crystal is once again an if then STEM ambassador for the Lena Hill Foundation, which works with a few non profits. So that's already amazing, But she chose her donation to go to the Gena Davis Institute on Gender and Media, founded by Gena Davis, who has said, what our children see sets the framework for what they believe is possible. So the Gena Davis Institute on Gender and Media is the only research based organization working from within the entertainment industry to improve gender balance, to reduce stereotyping, and to create diverse female characters in entertainment and media for kids eleven and under. So thanks doctor Dilworth, a donation will go to them, and that is made possible by some sponsors of the show. What you may hear about now, okay, let's get to your molecular neurobiology questions. Shall we have questions? And also this definitely warrants like a psychopharmacology.
Speaker 2: Yes follow up because absolutely I think that given all of the response to all the questions, you definitely need like a psychiatrist, yes on psychiatrist ologists.
Speaker 1: This podcast is not intended to diagnose or treat. Okay, a lot of folks had questions about this Jack, Jennifer Alvarez, Eli's Anna Thompson, Grace Lauren, Rachel Thompson, panic or painick either way, Donald McGregor, Pandora to Rebecca Lynn Weisselberg, Juliana arisl And, Penny Lee and Generic Nikki all asked about ADHD. Jack said, very very plainly, I have ADHD. What exactly is wrong with my neurotransmitters? And so, yeah, all those folks, I'm curious about it too, because sometimes I'm like, do I have ADHD? Maybe I do, I don't know.
Speaker 2: So. Classically, ADHD is described as a disruption of the dopamine system, but I think that there's a lot to be said for the involvement of other neurotransmitters. We like to talk about serotonin, but I actually think that norapinephrine is more relevant to ADHD specifically because noropinephrine is responsible for attention and alertness. So when your norropinephrine system is working, you are, you're awake and you're alert. When it's really activated, it's telling you there is something you need to pay attention to right now and be very awake and maybe run.
Speaker 1: You never know when you may have to jam. And so.
Speaker 2: The attention needed to perform and complete a task was associated with norapper nephrin sort of cycling. So there's a lot and then there's not so much, and then there's a lot, and then there's not so much. It's like just enough to kind of keep you on task and motivated. And that motivation also comes from dopamine. But when it's tonic, when it's just kind of like at an okay level and just kind of like plugging along, there's really no reason for you to maintain attention because it's not telling you to do so, and so you're like, I want to feel good about something. And then when you go looking in search of dopamine, because dopamine in ADHD people is a little bit lower, and so they're constantly looking for stimulus that's going to pop that up so they can feel good.
Speaker 1: Oh wow, Why do you think so many people have ADHD or are getting diagnosed with it? And I know so many people who are diagnosed later in life, Like where, why do you think it's so prevalent. I don't have a good answer for that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's a lot of discussions people have about our technology training us to have ADHD, about the fact that we have declared a thing kind of promoting the diagnoses of it, and you know, not being able to compare it to twenty years ago to know if it really is increasing in prevalence because we've just started diagnosing it. This is an argument. This used for a lot of things. So I don't really have a good answer for you, but I think that it might be that we're just becoming aware of our differences and ADHD is a way for us to label those differences. Sometimes that's a good thing, but it isn't always. I know that there's a lot of really smart, really really energetic and curious kids that get diagnosed with ADHD, and it might just be because we have a hard time handling that level of energy and curiosity.
Speaker 1: Okay, quick aside. I looked this up and adult ADHD diagnoses rose one hundred and twenty three percent between two thousand and seven and twenty sixteen, and the prevalence of ADHD and kids went up twenty six percent. So many researchers think it's just awareness of symptoms that's driving more people to get evaluated for it. And I know so many folks with ADHD, some diagnosed in adulthood, that just wish they knew sooner. I was just want to tell you that in the process of writing this aside, Jarrett was typing really loudly on his keyboard and I got distracted, so I went and got the headphones that I'd lost for about six months but just found. And then in the process it wanted into the kitchen to make a Macha latte and then I sat back down, but I got an email and so I ended up checking my credit score for a while. Anyway, Okay, yes, ADHD awareness, it's up. More people might have it than they realize. And then what about treatment of ADHD? I know, like emphetamine salts are sometimes prescribed. What is that doing to the dopamine or what is that What does that helping level out?
Speaker 2: So when I learned about this, which was a while ago, we were talking about the use of amphetamines in the concept of Homeostacey's. So our entire system is designed to keep us in a certain region of activity and alertness and awakness. We want to maintain that Homeostacey's because when we get thrown out of it, we get disease and a lot of like terrible things. And so when you take an ADHD brain and you give it mphetamine, You're releasing a lot of nourop and ephrine, you're releasing a lot of adrenaline, you're releasing a lot of dope meine, and that's like throwing you way up. So in a way, it's compensating for the things that you might not have enough of, but it's also telling your body, hey, as a complete system, you've got to pay attention to what's happening here because something has gone crazy and it's forcing your system to level you out. So if you don't have those discrepancies though the lower level of dope meine, then you take an mphetamine, then you've completely you've thrown your entire system into like a whole other solar system, which is for some people good.
Speaker 1: That's why we love cocaine.
Speaker 2: Because we love a lot of dopamine and we want that to hang around for a while, but usually ends up in really really bad results.
Speaker 1: Right, But if you are already low on the dopamine, then it just levels you off to where maybe a neurotypical person might be, Oh, that's fascinating. So the first line of therapy for ADHD is usually medication. Why is that, well, it works in up to eighty percent of folks suffering with ADHD if the dosage is right. But the best strategy, doctors say is combining strategies, so exercise. Some supplements like fish oil and magnesium have been shown in some studies to improve symptoms, and being around nature every day can also be effective. Either way, there is no shame in the ADHD game super common and there are treatments out there, and yes, I want to do a whole episode on this now. Besides, everyone wakes up and pours themselves a piping hot cup of stimulants anyway.
Speaker 2: Right, But one of the interesting things about Homeostacey's is that it doesn't have to be like it's something that our body does naturally, and it doesn't necessarily have to be drug related. Although like the there's a really great story about homeostaces and coffee. So if you go through this same morning routine, when you wake up and you go down, you're about to de press the button on your coffee maker, like maybe the sound of the coffee maker and the sound of the coffee going into the pot or the cup, your body knows I'm about to get some caffeine. So we'll depress its system in anticipation of the stimulation from caffeine. So that's why like replacing your coffee with DCAF is like a really terrible trick to play on people, because you'll actually get more depressed than you would otherwise because your body has depressed a system waiting for the stimulant and then it has not gotten it. Fuck yeah, that sucks, So be really careful with your routine.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I still say we use the routine we have. Caffeine binds to the thing that makes you sleepy. It takes the place.
Speaker 2: So caffeine interacts with adenizine receptors, and dinnersine receptors are just kind of like open and waiting for the dynzine to come. And it comes and it binds them, and if enough adentizine blinds enough of the receptors and it's like okay, we're sleepy, now we're going to.
Speaker 1: Go to bed.
Speaker 2: But the caffeine comes and it like sits in that binding site and prevents the adentizine from binding the receptor but doesn't activate them, so the enzine can't get in, and the receptor's like waiting for a signal that never comes and it's like, hah, you are awake now forever.
Speaker 1: So yes, caffeine, it swoops in and it takes the seat of the sleepy chemical kind of like musical chairs, and it blocks the snoozy feelings. But what if you are staring at the ceiling and not even the fancy nancy trick of thinking of a category like fruits or cities or Star Wars characters and then going down the alphabet thinking of things in that category that start with each letter is working. Is it best to gradually taper off caffeine? Like if you need to? If you needed to, like, why would you stop drinking coffee?
Speaker 2: I don't and I don't understand the question, she says with a coffee cup.
Speaker 1: I don't know why anyone to do that? Okay. A lot of people had questions about the genetic levels of neurotransmitters, like Bradley, Joe Portfino, Corey Navis, Kinley, Wallace Andrea essentially asked, you know, anxiety, depression, hereditary contagious. Radley asked, our imbalances in neurotransmitters more likely due to genetics or environment, speaking of someone with a whole slew of mental illnesses and addicted behaviors in my family, including myself and Radley. You're not alone. I feel like most of us are probably in the same basket going into Thanksgiving. Everybody's gonna know that they're in a family of nuts. Absolutely, we all are, all of us.
Speaker 2: There's so many ways that neurotransmitter levels can be affected. Definitely genetics is one of them. Definitely environment is another, and things that were temporarily going through can.
Speaker 1: Influence it as well.
Speaker 2: So like if you've just experienced a traumatic loss, you are going to have differences in your neurotransmitter release, but that is temporary and will eventually go back to what for you as a normal level and you're able to cope. But some people that have genetic differences, what does that even mean. It could mean we produce different amounts of neurotransmitter. It could mean that our receptors have different responses to those neurotransmitter than a neurotypical response. There's so many different ways that the amount or the reaction to a neurotransmitter can be affected by genetics or by environment. So the answer is yes, yes, That was a very long yes answer.
Speaker 1: So genetics can influence your neurotransmitter levels for sure. But before you blame your parents for everything, a whole bunch of factors are also at play. So it's not you, fancy Nancy, it's me or Dad, or how much caffeine I drink, or maybe jet lag or the fact that I haven't been to the gym in a month. Anyway, what about SNRIs versus SSRIs, I know, Aurora, Heather Gentry, Gracie Zeca, le An Schister, Rachel Polivka, and Amelia h All wanted to know. Do we know why different SSRIs and SNRIs have different effects on people? Amelia h wanted to know, is it just the molecular structure? Heather Gentry is a first time question asker, so is Gracie Zeca, And they both kind of asked about increasing numbers of atypical antidepressants and if the serotonin and depression model is not correct, if it's bigger than that. It's definitely bigger than that. Okay, it's definitely bigger than that.
Speaker 2: Especially when you're talking about the interplay between depression and anxiety. And that's what I think of when I think of a combination of SSRIs and s NRIs. So we're still talking about reuptake inhibitors. We're still talking about like the little molecules that go around collecting the neurotransmitters and shoving them back into the cell that they originated from and waiting for the next opportunity to release them, and inhibiting this process, so keeping those neurotransmitters in the synapse longer so that you get a more prolonged signal. Now we're talking about changing the amounts of serotonin and norepinephrin and titrating those differences. That's why a lot of people have to try multiple different combinations of drugs until they find the one that works for them, because their problem might be more serotonin or less serotonin might be more about norepinefrinin. If it's anxiety related, it probably is or less.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Ah, I wonder if that's why SSRIs didn't do much for me. But as a person with generalized anxiety disorder, thanks very much. An SNRI was helpful. Like what is happening with the noropenephyrin when it comes to anxiety? Like is it going off?
Speaker 2: Is it?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean, like I was saying, nora penephrine is keeping you awake and it's telling you what focus on. So a generalized anxiety disorder, not only are you awake, but you're constantly having to focus on all the things that are chasing you, Like you're just your attention is on all the things that could potentially kill you, because your brain's trying to keep you alive, but it thinks that everything is trying to kill you, so you have to pay attention to everything. And then there's all the things and it gets really overwhelming because everything is trying to kill you, and it's like living in Australia, but yet it's you know, like this is like a terrible cycle for brains to get.
Speaker 1: Into Australia, the land of shacks and snykes and spoil us and angreek kangaroos. I guess an angry kangaroo too? Who gives you just one star? Oh look, kangaroo two? I said your name again. You loved it. I feel like perhaps you're very empathetic too this particular. It might be that I have experienced that before, and so does an s n RI. I does it? What exactly is it doing to norop an effort if it's a selective norop and ephrin reap take inhibitor. Does that? Is it good to have more norropin efforn between the cells?
Speaker 2: Yes, it can be, but it depends on the comparison levels to the other neurotransmitters. Okay, right, so you have you're trying to balance dopamine, serotonin, nora peneffrin and get that right cocktail so that you get a harmony instead of a discordant dysfunction.
Speaker 1: If that makes sense. That doesn't make sense. I didn't realize that snrize and anxiety. Could that could be a good link. I always thought, if I've got anxiety, why do I want more goddamn nora perffor my set absence? I didn't. That was me screaming at my own brain. Yeah. So, yes, SNRIs affect both the nora pernephrin and the serotonin, and it's the balance that can be helpful. Although the first few weeks on an snri I can be rocky as hell and more stressy as your brain adjusts and then becomes more chill. So my brain asked me to tell your brain that as a heads up, Nikki. First time question asker asked, is the dopamine pathway activated when you eat an oreo while studying, like it would be when you smoke a cigarette. What is that oreo question?
Speaker 2: Okay, So I'm going to assume that the reason we're talking about oreos is because there is a paper that showed that mice prefer oreos to cocaine, and then it was used in mainstream media to promote many popular but scientifically irrelevant headlines like sugar is more addictive than cocaine and a bunch of other things. So I'm just gonna substitute oreo for parmesan goldfish, which is what I eat when I was studying. And yeah, very very different things. So we're talking about sugar and carbohydrates and feeding your brain in a certain way. There's definitely dope mean release when you're eating food, because that's one of the things that are going to keep you alive. And that's what dope mean is there for have we gotten this point enough? I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Let me reiterate it. Dope I mean is released to when you encountered things that keep you alive.
Speaker 2: The nicotine completely different. So nicotine is a cognitive enhancer, so it's probably helping your prefrontal cortex function, and it's shown to help decrease anxiety. So it's probably interacting in your amygdala to reduce stress and facilitating better studying.
Speaker 1: Okay, side note, just google oreo plus cocaine. That study is everywhere. It was cited by pretty much every news outlet in the known universe, and a professor who worked on the study stated in a twenty thirteen press release that he quote hadn't touched an oreo since the experiment, but it's unclear if that's because of their addictive implications or just because watching rats pick apart any food with their tiny clod feet for years on end tends to kind of tarnish its appeal. Now speaking of full little bellies, so this is a good segue to the gut biome and Libby Miller, Emmahawk, Schneider, Kabi, maybe Isabelle, Christine Hottinger, Cara Gallan, Mackenzie Campbell, Generic Nikki Eli's I Lean, Mackenzie Campbell, Stephen Williams, Jen Anathos, and Michelle Lee all asked about how many of our neurotransmitters are made in our guts and do we have any leads yet on good foods for good neurotransmitters Christine Hotten dress that is, how do I eat myself happy?
Speaker 2: Well, actually, there's been a lot of recent studies on the microbiome and the influence of food on mood, and we've always known, even before we identified that the microbiome was a thing that diet had a huge impact on mood. And of course we have always talked about sort of blood sugar activity and how crashing after a lot of sugar can influence our mood and make us depressed. But what I think that we're really asking about here is the chemicals that are released by the gut biomey. One of those chemical has been shown to be serotonin, which is like one of the really really big findings in that field, and like in the neuroscience field too, because we thought, oh, neurotransmitters are synthesized in the neurons, But yeah, I guess not always. I guess there can be serotonin and potentially other neurotransmitters just kind of floating around.
Speaker 1: In your bloodstream. Fancy meeting you here. Does it influence mood? Yes? Probably.
Speaker 2: Are there particular superfoods that you can eat to raise your serotonin? Probably not, But what we eat definitely does influence the different types of microorganisms and the ratios of those microorganisms in our gut. So I can't tell her what to eat to make herself happy, But if she finds a particular type of diet that does make her happy, she's not just it's not all placebo, right, It's not just in.
Speaker 1: Her head, in her good exactly. I think that's so bananas, that so much serotonin is made in our in our simmering poo tubes. Who knew? Who knew? It? Is crazy?
Speaker 2: And I think about that too sometimes when I'm I'm like on a particular binge of like very very unhealthy.
Speaker 1: Food, and I'm like, how long am I going to have to eat.
Speaker 2: Healthy to readjust the ratios of like gut bacteria because I know that I'm feeding it a certain type of sugar or just a lot of sugar that like there's going to be overgrowth of one population, you know, of my in my microbiome, and like I'm like apologizing to the potentially more valuable and rarer bacteriums in my gut, Like I'm sorry, i know overfeeding.
Speaker 1: That, you know. I feel like, if you like SimCity, you'll love the gut biome Oh, yes, that's so true. It's like real world consequences. For more on this topic, you can see last November's Microbiology episode with doctor Elaine Shaw, who herself says she tries to eat a very diet. So give your microbes natural foods that would help them thrive, i e. Not oreos or cocaine, which was in soft drinks until the early nineteen hundreds, which is just bananas. Okay, speaking of guzzlin' up, A few people asked about alcohol. Lindsay to Falco, Amelia h Anna Thompson and Emmanuel Sanchez asked what's going on in the brain with different drugs and controlled substances like alcohol? And Amelia h one, you know why is alcoholism an inheritable trait? Oh? Alcohol is so interesting because there's no like alcohol receptor. Oh, like, it doesn't.
Speaker 2: It doesn't act on a particular receptor the way that like I was describing aceetylcholine and nicotine. It like sort of cozies up to the receptor and it's like soft influence, like we would call it allosteric modulation. Okay, So it doesn't like bind to the receptor and cause the receptor to do anything, but it affects the way that the receptor responds to the molecules that it's really supposed to be talking too, So it can make it open like easier, so it needs like less drug or less neurotransmitter before it responds. So it's very like sneaky and insidious in terms of the activity in the brain.
Speaker 1: Alcohol has anyone that.
Speaker 2: Has been drunk, like you know, it affects your motor control and your muscles as well, so it has more than just brain brain effects. But in the brain it acts in that allisteric sort of soft soft power kind kind of a way, and.
Speaker 1: Does it kind of mess with frontal cortex activity, Like does it in terms of like loss of inhibition and maybe less control over emotion?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it it disinhibits the inhibitory neurons.
Speaker 1: Okay, that right.
Speaker 2: It's like the act of alcohol is a double negative. Okay, So it works on your inhibitory neurons.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, that's why I won't. So they're normally like on like I'm inhibiting and I'm doing my job and then I'll calls like take a break, no gap, Crystal says. The alcohol affects dopamine. Sarah toonin gabba, which is a neurotransmitter that helps maintain calm and glutamate pathways which affect memory. But just as your college roommate may have just lived for Friday Jaeger shots and you have never finished a beer, different people have different genetics that influence how receptors respond to alcohol. But the main point is it doesn't have to just affect dopamine to become addictive. And scientists they're still figuring out how it all works, neuroscience. It's complicated. Who knew? I mean all of us, literally all of us? Okay, Now, on the topic of substances, a bunch of people did ask about recreational rooks. Jess Basita Garcia, Rebecca Landry, Joe Portofino, him and Alonso, Kevin List, James Bullio, Cassie Carrie Brigham all kind of asked, Hey, what's going on with res creational ritualistic drugs like ayahuasca. Kevin List asked, what are your thoughts on microdosing for mental health issues like depression? And Jess wanted to know flim flame or not is psilocybin in effective treatment for medication resistant psychiatric conditions? So what's going on with magical things.
Speaker 2: Magical things are like it's if one aspect of the orchestra went completely like we came on steroids. If you showed up and there was like thirty seven cellos and like four of all of the other instruments, whatever, that would sound like that's kind of what recreational drugs do. They put things completely out of balance. And we experienced through a new reality through that lens, like brains are basically making a guess at our realities anyway, and so we experienced a brain's best guess at what is actually happening right now.
Speaker 1: Your whole reality is just a picture that your brain has painted based on what it's sensing. How weird is that? What is even real?
Speaker 2: And so when the predictions of the brain, or the way that the system that is the brain tries to anticipate or interpret these completely out of whack situation, that's when we get the fun that is recreational drugs.
Speaker 1: What happens with psychedelics is it a particular neurotransmitter that is just going off.
Speaker 2: A lot of them are acting on the serotonin system. Okay, because serotonin is like when it's sort of a mod it's a modulation. It's more global than a lot of the other neurotransmitters, I would say. And so when you get like a bunch of serotonin like dumped into the system, you have a lot of different brain regions that are all like trying to cope with life.
Speaker 1: Is that why people will take supplements like five htp after they will do like Mollie or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can deplete the amount because your brain is synthesizing those molecules.
Speaker 1: There's a limited number of them.
Speaker 2: If you think about a factory production line, it only goes so fast, so you can only produce so many toys or so many cars, or you can only produce so many molecules of your particular neurotransmitter.
Speaker 1: And so if you have.
Speaker 2: Taken Mollie or one of these recreational drugs that has dumped a whole bunch of neurotransmitter into your brain and you've been like backstroking through those happy molecules.
Speaker 1: For a while, Oh the water is great.
Speaker 2: And when there's time for your brain to go back to normal because it's no longer getting those signals, there's like it has nothing left to give, literally, and so giving it some precursors for the molecules that it needs to replenish. Is sort of a way of helping it get back to normal because you're skipping a few steps in the assembly line.
Speaker 1: Got it, so you're not left like high and dry, like literally high and actually dry of the good range juices. Now, this next topic was on the minds of Patron's John Rokevic Graham Tattersall, Maria Generic, Nikki, Sidney Manzil, don Ewald, first time mindfulness question asker Jennifer Ran and first time question asker Ashley Beatty, who wondered about the impact of meditation on anxiety and depression specifically. And now, what about meditation, yoga, things like that. Do you ever use any of it? Do you feel like you should be using it? I think that it's definitely a good place to start.
Speaker 2: I'm one of those people that is, like, why would you pay your gym membership if you could just go outside and run?
Speaker 1: And then I just stay inside what's netflix the entire time?
Speaker 2: And that's kind of how I feel about like about mindfulness, Like it's something that you can do quite easily. You know that there's positive effects, Like there's been scientific papers that have shown that there are positive effects of meditation practice, of mindfulness practice that really does help quiet some of the overactivity and the amygdala that we see and like stern society for instance, So why not do it?
Speaker 1: I don't do it. I probably should. It would definitely help me a lot. So do as I say, not as I do. Okay, doctor, Yeah, okay? What is your least favorite thing about neuroscience? About brains or about your life as a doctor brain? Essentially on TV and all over the world.
Speaker 2: Neuroscience is really hard to do without actually touching the tissue that you're trying to study, and so we use a lot of model brains in order to learn the things that we learn, which is really challenging because a lot of the even the information that I was sharing with you today, like we know this to be true for mice and rats, and we assume that it is also true for humans to the best of our possible ability. But as far as I know, we aren't able to like do the same types of experiments on humans. So a lot of what we know is inferred.
Speaker 1: Right, would you ever donate your brain to science? Who? What do you think I think I would be? I would be a terrible test well subject, like I'm I'm always in.
Speaker 2: The outlier, Like I never feel that I am a good representation of the mathematical average of a human anything, So I feel like my brain would give like wrong data or like not accurate data. And I think that actually speaks to There was an earlier question about like why don't we know how these things work? And it's like, well, we can know things pretty accurately for a particular breed of mouse or particular breed of rat because they're all exactly the same. They're all clones of each other, so it's really easy for us to know what's going on there. We can't clone humans, we can't do research on humans, so all of the genetic background, all of the environmental differences, all of those things mean that we're really just kind of guessing at what's going to work for the average population.
Speaker 1: Isn't it kind of crazy that we just have clones, like animal clones run around? Is that kind of weird? Does that ever creep you out?
Speaker 2: It doesn't really creep me out, But I guess because I mostly work with bacteria and with mice and they're not it's easy to not see them as necessarily having personalities.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I guess, but I never raised mice.
Speaker 2: I was the beneficiary of people that did mouse experiments, but I never actually had a colony of mice that I was raising. And I know that neuroscientists that do work directly with life behaving animals would absolutely tell me that I'm crazy. But they have personalities and differences even though genetically they're the same. Wow.
Speaker 1: Do you hear that Barbostressing cloned her dog and she thought she was getting one, and they're like, well, we have four, and she's like fuck, She'd just like, oh no, she'd like give it away to her assistant's daughter or something. She's like, I didn't. I didn't think i'd give four of them. It's true. Barbara Streis and missed her dog, Samantha so much that she had four more made from a swab of her cheek. Now, the runt of that letter sadly died, but she kept two of the other ones and the third. She says, the thirteen year old daughter of my A and R Man bonded with one of the clones, so I gave them that puppy. So there you go. Clones. They're all over the place. It is just like not a biggie shrug. What's your favorite thing about your job or neuroscience or the brain?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think that we are inherently selfish and that we really like to know things about ourselfs and neurosciences is kind of like my way of trying to understand this like human condition. So, you know, brains are they're really intense, and they want everything to have meaning, and they will subscribe meaning to things that really they're is no purpose too, And so I think that's probably just like what I'm trying to do with my meaningless life is to figure out, you know, why why humans? Question Mark and why me?
Speaker 1: That's the best title for a biography, Why Humans? Why Us? Oh As for neuroscience movies, Crystal says, pretty much none of them get it right, like none, and they all try to make things way too spiritual, and that using only ten percent of your brain is a big, hairy, smelly myth, and that this Scarlet Johansson vehicle Lucy was wall to wallflim flam and agregious. So she thinks writers and directors should just focus on the real neuroscience because it's bananas and it's mysterious enough.
Speaker 2: Reality is stranger than fiction, and so let's figure out what's actually going on and how can we tell that story in an epic but accurate way, because it really is enough to blow your mind, right, your actual mind.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much, doctor Delaware. Thank you for having me of course. Okay, so now that you are fully enchanted by the knowledge of doctor Brain Crystal Dilworth, you could head to Crystaldilworth dot com for links to her social media and her LinkedIn page. There's a link to that in the show notes of this episode, and special thank you to Caseyhnmer for making sure that she got that domain name. That's Crystaldilworth dot com. So go there and follow her on Twitter and on LinkedIn and on Instagram. You can also check out Mission Unstoppable on CBS every Saturday. Now. Links will be up at aliward dot com slash ologies slash Molecular Neurobiology, including to the charity supported and to the sponsors making that possible. We are at ologies on Instagram and Twitter. I'm at ali Ward with one L on both. If you have a picture of yourself in merch on merch Mondays, we repost it. So just hashtag get Ologies Merch. I'm also on CBS every Saturday morning on Innovation Nation with Molrocca, and i have my own science show on CW called did I Mention In, which is on Saturday or Sunday, depending on where you live in the country. And thank you to Aaron Talbert and of course Hannah Liippo for admitting the Facebook Ologies podcast group and for being amazing people. Special love going out to the brain of Hannahalippo this week. Also thank you to Bonnie Dutch and Shannon Feltis of the comedy podcast You Are That for handling merch at ologiesmerch dot com and also for being wonderful. Transcripts and bleeped episodes are at aliward dot com slash ologies dash extras. They'll be a link in the show notes. Thank you to all the Ologies transcribers and the Ologies Transcribers Facebook group and Emily White for working on those and assistant editing was done by Jared Sleeper of mind Jam Media and the mental health podcast My Good Bad Brain. He talks about ADHD a lot on that, so check out My Good Bad Brain. And thanks as always to the brain that stitches all these pieces together. Each week Stephen Ray Morris, who also hosts the percast about Cats and the Dino podcast c Jurassic Right. The theme music was written in performed by Nick Thorburn of the band Islands, and that cello music you heard was the cello song by the Piano Price and there on YouTube. Now, if you stick around and tell the the episode, you know, I tell you a secret. This week's secret is that I had a night mirror that I was getting shot to space. I was like, oh, I'm an astronaut, I guess. And beforehand they had to weigh everything that went into or came out of my body. Let's just say it was a little too close for comfort in my dream, and I woke up so relieved that I didn't have to pee in a bucket in front of anyone. Also another secret, I actually do keep candles of my wallet because honestly, it happens so often it's someone's birthday and just being able to shove a candle and like a piece of toast or a Snickers, it's such a day maker. But so they don't take up a bunch of room. I just put like two or three wrapped up in a little piece of tinfoil and I wedge them in my wallet. But I'm pretty sure it looks like something illegal. But I promised keep a few birthday candles in your bag, and you're going to use them sooner than you think. They come in handy all the time. Also, does NASA even make you pean buckets? Or did I just make that up in a dream? Let me know, Okay, sure? By pack adermatollege, hobiology or doo zoology, lithology, yethology, melogy, pedatology, sychnology, seriology, selenology. Hey, I came here to be drugged, electrocuted and probe, not insulted.