Speaker 1: Today, I'm Always watching. We're talking about Lanterns Episode one. Yeah, new show, Hal Jordan, John Stewart, Let's do this thing? All that r after this. Welcome to Always Watching. It's Grenna Pin the podcast. We're talking about whatever viky TV shows we feel like talking about.
Speaker 2: My name is Matthew Carroll and I'm Jay Scotty Saint Clair.
Speaker 1: What's up, Jay Scott, Jay Scotty, Saint Clair. I was gonna see Jays Scoots and then it came out Scott to nice Fay I Field, Hey, Jay Scotty Scottsy. I like Jay Scotty. That's a new evolution.
Speaker 2: I'll take it.
Speaker 1: Oh man, what'd you think of Lantern's Bud.
Speaker 2: I gotta say I was all along the way whenever we first heard about this series. I was excited for it, but I was always kind of holding it at arms length. And I don't know if that's my reception to the DCU at large or what have you, but I gotta say I came away from this premiere just so so impressed, so encouraged. Right off the bat. This series has automatically sunk its teeth into me, and I'm just so excited to be watching the show and covering the show with you, because I know when we do these podcasts like this, it really affords the opportunity to deep dive and theorize. And with Damon Lindall off out the helmet shouldn't be a surprise. But again, I was just I knew I was going to like this show, but to the degree that I was impressed with the premiere here, I'm a little pleasantly surprised here. That's awesome.
Speaker 1: You think I liked it a lot. All the actors are so good, and I'm intrigued by the plot line. I think if I had to do like a quick one sentence review, I liked it really intriguing, good, but a little slow for me.
Speaker 2: The first episode a little slow. I can understand that. I can understand that for sure.
Speaker 1: I don't alted because I know the vibe they're going for, and they're going for a very adult vibe that like fits in in the True Detective vein They've they've talked about true to how it's like True Detective, and I almost felt like they were going for that too much, whereas, like the concept here is so fanciful that I kind of wanted them to lean a little bit more into like, uh, you know, the the it could have been a little more fun. I think there are moments it could have been more fun. And uh, Okay, I'm not I'm not saying that that's doesn't anything doesn't have to be fun, but like I was kind of like, Okay, there's the the scene where he gets beat up is so good and it was so set up well, and then they decided to have a separate character moment where he's getting uh kind of talked to by the by the by missus Macon, and like I was watching, I was like, this should be the moment where he's getting beat up. Two, I got a pair of roller skates while John Stewart drinks and enjoys it, you know it enjoys him getting to Like it was a perfectly set up joke and like moment, and instead they like decided to have like a kind of serious romance conversation up front, and I was just kind of like, right, you're doing too much to avoid fun almost like that was a it was a joke set up to be a joke, Like lean into it, and I understand it's just like a different style, but like, yeah, I would it's the DCU. It's such a departure from James Gunn, which is like, sure, even in a serious moment, he's trying to be funny, and then this is so serious even when a moment lends itself to a good, poppy kind of joke, that I just I felt a little underserved by the slowness of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I feel that, And I don't disagree with you. I think there were more opportunities for Levity and I actually kind of really like your rewright there. But I did given that this is the premiere, it didn't surprise me all that much. It's it's not rubbing me the wrong way. At this point. It was few and far between in terms of, like, you know, moments for levity and comedy. But it did make the moments that they did have really land for me, Like right off the bat, just like that that sequence where hal Founds finds out that John slept with Will Macon's wife Zoe. That was hilarious. Just never you think about that reveal was and I think it was because everything had been so kind of rot and serious up until that point that it made that moment really land for me. I was laughing out loud and that's that's rare for me and TV.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I completely agree. That was a really funny moment. And like I, like I said, it doesn't have to be funny. It's not a funny show. Like, they're not going for that, They're going for True Detective. And I really I feel bad I'm complaining because I'm really not trying to do. I really love there's there's things I really liked. I want to get into that, but like I just think I think they're going for True Detective vibe almost too deliberately. And True Detective is such a singular thing. This first season of that show is so singular, and it's so much about those two actors and the way that they as human beings are interacting. And like Matthew McConaughey and oh gosh, thank you, I am so so terrible Woody Harrelson's name.
Speaker 2: I can never come up with it. I don't know why talented actor.
Speaker 1: Oh have you heard the not really conspiracy theory, but the theory that they're brothers. No, apparently their mom their moms dated the same musician around the same time when they were both born, and both their moms aren't sure who the father is and they and then later in life, as they got to know each other, they realized how similar they were and they got to talk it and realized they had this connection and their their moms dated the same guy, and they think they.
Speaker 2: Might be brothers, but they don't know.
Speaker 1: And like, dude, if you watch them in interviews like talk back and forth, they act and sound like brothers. And it's crazy that I found that fascinating. But I don't think and I hate to say this, this is the meanest thing I'm gonna say about the show.
Speaker 2: Get it out now. I don't think that.
Speaker 1: Kyle Chandler and Aaron Pierre can hold a candle to that true detective vibe. Unfortunately, I think they're both great. They're both really great gets for the DC Universe and for a DC Universe television show. I love them for this, but they're like almost trying too hard to mimic this style that was so singular and like I knew that they were saying it was true detective like, but I felt moments that I was like this long slow car ride. It would be compelling if the actor was doing more. But Aaron Pierre, he's playing it very flat because he's trying to be a he's drawing, he's doing a lot of the things that Matthew McConaughey was doing, but he's not being as kooky or as strange. He doesn't have all the he doesn't have the magnetism that Matthew McConaughey brought to that performance, and like Aaron Pierre instead is just playing it very flat. And I think it's gonna get more interesting, I really do. But like it's on, I really do feel like they're going for a vibe that the show is not suited to necessarily and that the show hasn't isn't pulling off like it wants to. And I'm trying to forget that it's doing that because I can't unsee it.
Speaker 2: But to be fair, that wasn't all that mean when you said this is the meanest thing you're gonna say about the show, though I was expected.
Speaker 1: Saying Kyle Chandler and Aaron Pierre aren't able to pull off what those two did, And I just think that's kind of mean. I don't normally like to say thing's bad things about actors because you never know what's their fault, and what's not. Actors have very little control, so I very rarely will say an unkind word about an actor. But like I think Colin Chandler and airpr are, but they're not Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConaughey. They're just not totally fair, totally fair.
Speaker 2: And while I do feel like this series, just with the premiere episode alone, is really delivering on that promise of like, you know, the bill of goods that was sold in terms of like this being true detective, but as much as that influence is there, I found myself again to use the terminology, pleasantly surprised. I went into this expecting true Detective, and I was surprised how much I came away with Fargo season five. And I love the show Fargo, but like just how much it had in common with Fargo season five in terms of being set in Nebraska, which is often a location that's featured in Fargo, if not the movie the TV series itself, but the fact that you have like this military compound with the militia, where this questionable figurehead that's like, you know, is he operating within the law or outside the laws? He and isolationists and nationalists of some kind. So I was able to compartmentalize the comparisons to True Detective a little bit with my my kind of glee how much there was to kind of glom onto, like, Oh, this feels like Fargo. That's funny.
Speaker 1: But I had the same thought, and I kept thinking, I wish that was the tone, Like this is so similar to Fargo, right that I wish the tone had a.
Speaker 2: Little bit more that Fargo humor, which is like.
Speaker 1: Absurdist, and it's such an absurdist situation that like, I feel like it could have easily built used that absurdity of everything.
Speaker 2: Going on to be to be funnier.
Speaker 1: And I hate I hate being like, this isn't the kind of show I want, because that's not a good criticism.
Speaker 2: It's it's kind of it just right now.
Speaker 1: I'm not I don't think they're nailing what they're going for, So I keep like looking for this other thing, and I think I kept thinking about Fargo for the same reasons you did. It really does have a lot of elements of fift season five of Fargo, and I was like, why why isn't there someone using kind of funny language like Fargo or like saying things in a kitchy way that like lands in the ear funny. Even on non funny scenes, Fargo has this way of like always.
Speaker 2: Being fun to watch. You know.
Speaker 1: Sure, there's just certain scenes in this that aren't fun to watch. They're just like long driving scenes where Aaron Pierre is staring out the front of the car.
Speaker 2: And I was just like, right, the bubble wrap thing was funny.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I gotta stop talking about the one thing I don't like because I do like other things in the show.
Speaker 2: No, you're good. I'm kind of glad you keep kind of harping on that because it brings back to mind the point that I was going to make, because ultimately I do agree with you. I don't think I'm being quite as harsh on the series right out of the gate. I'm kind of, you know, reserving judgment, and I do think it was a great premiere. But I do agree with you in terms of like the chemistry between Aaron Pierre and Kyle Chandler. I think that's something that is going to be earned as the series goes along. But as far as the performances go. And I'm not saying that you said this, but I was really really delighted with Kyle Chandler, in particular his performance, just the how much he leaned into the like grizzled and kind of unlikable, kind of selfish machiesmo that he's doing there. But Aaron Pierre, I kind of agree with you, and it's not a fault of the actor, it's just kind of the material that's being given to him. But at this point in time, I think he really is supposed to be, like we kind of ex sult in the opening sequence, which I think is very telling of like what is the story that this series is trying to tell? And I think this is going to be a John story much more than it's going to be a How story ultimately, because we start with John watching How on the TV, and where does that transition to a moment with his father? And I was just so conflicted with that moment with his father because it's so disturbing and traumatizing the fact that his father, you know, it's the classic story of William Tell But again, like he asked that question, do you have fear? Which is definitely going to be a through line for this series as well, But the fact that his father shoots the apple off his head and he the first thing he has is a smile, and it's a warm embrace. And then we flash forward to twenty sixteen where Hal has effectively done the same thing, put him in a moment where it's like, hey, do or die? What are you going to do here? And he comes out on the other side and the first person he calls is his dad. So I was expecting, you know, you know, Hal has this relationship with his father where he lost his father early and pines for his father. I thought John was going to be the opposite, where he has a lot of resentment towards father, but no, he still holds his father with this respect. In this regard, I think that's going to be translated onto how and this is going to be a story of like, you know, hero worship is unhealthy. To quote SpongeBob for my millennial you know, younger millennial, mid millennial listeners out there that are with me, there's an episode of SpongeBob where he basically idolizes a jelly fishing champion that's a c cucumber. But that's the story. You know, hero worship is unhealthy. SpongeBob, don't worship your heroes, Don't Meet your heroes, And honestly, this is you know this episode one was not given a subtitle, but I kind of paused or checked halfway through the episode to see does this have a subtitle, and I was kind of expecting it to be Don't Meet your Heroes or something like, hmmm.
Speaker 1: Well, I definitely think you're right, and I'm glad we I'm glad we touched on the three main influences of this show, uh, far Ago, True Detective, and SpongeBob.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, like the three that this show's really pulling from.
Speaker 2: That's that's Linda for you.
Speaker 1: I feel like the bubble wrap thing is not too far off, like it's very that is a very SpongeBob joke. Absolutely absolutely, oh man, I I really, I totally agree with you. And I think part of the story they're telling for I think is John Stewart isn't being honest. Oh okay, I think he. I think he is fearful. I think he was fearful as a kid. Your dad's aiming a gun at you, You're fearful. I think he's been repressing his fear. He's been taught to repress who he is and repress his fear and like they keep asking him, are you annoying? Am I bothering you? He's Nope, I'm not mad. I respect him. He's not being truthful. He does not respect How. How is like, you know, a drunk and someone who doesn't seem to be like caring about his position, and like as the as the sheriff speaks of, like he's not fearless.
Speaker 2: He's lonely.
Speaker 1: He just doesn't care about anything. He doesn't have anything to care about, so he doesn't have anything to fear.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Sure, but that's not because he's fearless, because he's lonely. And I think that's really incisive. And I think that John Stewart has all these reasons to dislike How at this point, and all these reasons to be upset at him, and How keeps treating him poorly as his trainee and not doing enough for him to train him, and How just keeps John just keeps kind of eating it and just being like, Nope, I'm good. I respect the guy who I'm supposed to respect. I'm doing the thing and saying the thing I'm supposed to. And I wonder if we're gonna get the last episode. Here's my prediction of where all this is going. We're gonna get to the last moment of are you afraid? And he's not gonna say no. Either that or to have some transformation where he learns what fear is, what it means, and actually how to overcome it and not just ignore it, because I think right now he's just ignoring everything he feels and believe like everything he feels that is his reaction. He's bottling it up to please his father and to please this guy and to please the Lantern Core. He's like just trying to be the guy he's supposed to be. And I think as those walls break down a little bit, this episode would have been way more fun for sure, and probably more watchable if like John Stewart was actually pushing back. It's a tried and true, like comedy premise, not even comedy, just like action action adventure premise. To have two guys who don't get a lot, you know what I mean, Like they're butting heads and so having John Stewart and I think this is gonna be his journey to learn to feel his feelings and express them. I think that's gonna be a big part of it, but having him truncated like that makes the character seem uninteresting and makes the relationship seem not real. In my opinion, I think we're gonna get there. I think it's the journey. So I'm not like, like you said, I'm reserving judgment on that. I think that's on purpose. I don't think it's a bad thing.
Speaker 2: It's just true.
Speaker 1: It is part of what I'm sensing when I'm sensing that lack of character to the show and that lack of connection between the two mains, is that that's his that is his character. He's he's reserved. He's not fearful, he's not annoyed, he's.
Speaker 2: Not mad, you're late. He's just a cool guy who does what he's supposed to do right right, And you've got me wondering, Like, as the series goes along, I'm kind of suspecting that we're going to see how take more and more of a back seat as John takes over and becomes the character as it is his story, and maybe he'll get Aaron Pierre as the character, will get more opportunities to flesh that out and show a little more nuance and not be so stoic as I agree with you that he is right now, but and I may be stretching here, so bear with me. I know this is episode one, but one thing that kind of like dawned on me as I was watching this episode, and I love Green Lantern. He's one of my favorite characters. Now. I won't pretend to be have like an encyclopedic knowledge of the characters, you know, comic book history, but I feel like I'm pretty well versed. And one of the things that I've always kind of been curious about in terms of like the trajectory of the Green Lantern lore and the character is I think when he started out, like the convention, like the appeal of the character was like the superpower is imagination, like basically whatever you can imagine you can materialize with this ring. As it kind of went on and you establish the different you know, factions of the core, the Red Lanterns, the Yellow Lanterns, what have you, fear became such a much more strong element. It's not about you know this this this imagination. It's more about like do you have the willpower versus the fear? And I have to note when you know we have the very subtle title card a peer of lanterns. I did notice that the first color we see is yellow, a yellow light that kind of turns into a green. So I think you're right. I think as we've been kind of taught and you look at other franchises like Dune where it's like, you know, fear is the mind killer, you can't have fear. I think this is really saying that, like, no fear is okay, like fear is is like And I know Sinestra is going to be a part of this series and he's a he's famously a green lantern turned yellow lantern that embraced the fear. I think you're onto something there. I think it is going to be like how do we acknowledge the fear? Because something else that stuck out to me again to hop back to when John called his dad. It really resonated with me because it kind of stuck out, and I'll be completely honest at first blush, it kind of rubbed me the wrong way because I was like, eh, now, you know. But his father says to him in response to how trying to kill him, he says, they're allowed to have tantrums. You're not. We're not. And I was like oh, he's talking about white men versus black men like black men. And keep in mind this is twenty sixteen when the show is set, but there is you know, Yeah, I'm going to try and speak with some eloquence and some wherewithal here. So forgive me if I say anything that my intentions are pure here. But there is the stereotype of like the angry black man. Right anytime a black man in voice voices injustice or something like that, it's like, oh, it's just the angry black man. So I think that's speaking to that, like they're allowed to have tantrums, you're not. But in my own life, you know, having been through some therapy and you know, exploring emotional intelligence and what that looks like. Anger is a secondary emotion and it's often attached to a core emotion like hurt or fear. So the fact that we're seeing this, you know John, who is so stoic, not willing to show any emotion in any way, shape or form, and I have to imagine, like with that line from his father, like they're allowed to have tantrums, we're not. Like I do think he's very angry on some level. And that's that's got to be attached to fear. So when he can, you know, acknowledge that fear, acknowledge that anger, I think he's going to become a fully fleshed out character that's ready to you know, join the DCU forthright and appear in Mana tomorrow here, And he's going to be a character that we're all really looking forward to see.
Speaker 1: I think the racial element of that is undeniably there. I also think his dad was a military man, and I think there's like the people above you can have tantrums towards you, but that rolls downhill.
Speaker 2: You can't have a tantrum back and absolutely, and this.
Speaker 1: Is your guy, who's who's your your commanding officer, the guy you're trying to join up with the forces. And like I when his dad did the gun thing at the beginning, was it specifically for the lanterns? Like was he doing the like are you afraid because of that story of the lanterns? Or was that so it was unclear unclear like four, Yeah, it felt like he and his father had some mutual understanding about like, hey, they're both fascinated with the lanterns. Because the first thing he asked when he walks through the door, like, are you gonna tell me what his name is? He knew that they were they were watching the TV, but yeah, unclear about like are you afraid where that was coming from? You know, that was something that how Jordan was asked or not that I don't know, And I mean, you're right, he's a military man.
Speaker 2: How Jordan was a military man? That might be something that he has privileged knowledge.
Speaker 1: Of, right, yeah, maybe what at the beginning remind me? At the beginning of Superman, they say three decades ago? Did it start with decades? When were the first a three hundred?
Speaker 2: Oh? Okay, three hundred years and thirty years ago Superman appeared? Oh? Yes, three? It was three centuries landed?
Speaker 1: Was it three centuries when first meta humans were seen on Earth?
Speaker 2: Three? Yeah? His three decades? Okay.
Speaker 1: I was trying to remember because they talk about how like this the first interview with a meta human or a superhero basically, and it's in ninety six, which would be about thirty years prior to.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: And when they said, uh, haile in Nebraska, I was like, wait, is that could this be have to do with the Kryptonian coming? But that was sixteen interesting but was he said it was twenty sixteen when he was backed up for I don't know, it's a whole thing, Like there's a lot of jumping around, which I'm loving, and I need to watch it again just to like, because twenty sixteen is where we spend most of our time in the episode. Ninety six is when he is first interview. He said he backed up that halogram, which is great. Yeah, how did not give him enough credit for that? He said it was ten years ago, so that would be roughly two thousand and six. So I think we're gonna be playing with a timeline that, like the years are always gonna end in six, whether it's nineteen ninety six, two thousand and six, two thousand and six, two twenty twenty six. And I think we see, like the fact that that haligram showed up there and he was last backed up ten years ago, I think that's gonna be like something happened that he wanted to hold onto that backup version of himself or something like that, Like he didn't want like something happened. He seemed totally different, And I'm wondering if something happened to him that turned him a little darker, like made him question himself, made him not want to be backed up, made him not want to make a reflection of himself. Maybe he screwed up on a mission, maybe he hurt someone, like I don't know, something happened in two thousand and six. I think that then like changed how Jordan's character. There's just so much going on with like the different time periods, and I'm loving that. And I don't think this is gonna be the first time we visit every one of these time periods. I think we will see from him as a kid. I think we're gonna see more from the two thousand and six. I think we're gonna see more from twenty sixteen obviously, and then more from twenty twenty six as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and even just the decision to like end the episode letting us know that Hal is dead the frozen cadaver there like that again, like not necessarily fargo through and through, but that just feels like Cohen Brothers, like we're going to give you not the answer to the mystery, but the such a such a heavy reveal regarding the mystery right out of the gate, that we're going to have to you know, backpedal and plait and go back and forth between these various time periods to to you know, fully realize how we got there. And if I'm not mistaken, John checks to see if Hal has the ring on his finger that you know, the frozen cadaver there. He doesn't have the ring, and nother neither does John. John still doesn't have the ring at that point ten years later in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Yep, So I wonder if he's even still training, is he just like, yeah, they have they seen each other since twenty twenty sixteen, Like we might see the demise of their friendship or their partnership or their you know, training at that point. Like, I think they're gonna show, We're gonna see all these things happen, and I think it's gonna be very interesting and spread out among these time periods. And I love that element of the story a lot, And you know, I like who these characters are. I'm hoping that the chemistry builds a little bit as John loosens up a little bit and maybe like hits a breaking point because I think Aaron Pierre has a lot in him. He just sure what he's being given right now is to you know, be calm, don't have emotions. And I think I feel that a lot as as someone who grew up I grew after I've told this before podcasting, but one of my biggest religious trauma issues growing group of my raising was I grew up in a faith that said, you know, deny yourself, deny yourself, deny yourself, deny yourself, deny yourself. And that meant anything you want is not like any you want, any of your emotions that really has should.
Speaker 2: Have no.
Speaker 1: Bearing on what you should do. Your emotions, your own desires are just distractions from what God wants, right, Like, I grew up with that, and so like the story of someone going through something where they're told like, do not feel do you do what you're supposed to do, check all the boxes, do the things you're supposed to do, and don't follow your emotions is something I've had I'm having to go through as a as a freaking thirty forty year old man, I've had to really like unlearn a lot of that totally. And so like I'm feeling the idea of the storyline, and I love Damon Lindelof so much that like I'm here for it.
Speaker 2: I'm very much here for it.
Speaker 1: I guess that's part of what disappoints me a little bit about the tone, too, is that, like, I understand they're going for this very specific thing it feels like, but Damon Lindelof's shows have a lot of fun in them, and so like, I just was expecting a little more fun. Even though I knew they were going for this vibe like I was, I was expecting it to have a little more that flavor. Watchman is one of my favorite shows I've ever seen, and like, that show is totally and he hits on all cylinders, tons of drama, tons of seriousness, but I am constantly entertained by the little weirdnesses of the show, you know, yeah, and just didn't have that yet.
Speaker 2: I might be being overly optimistic, but I suspect those things are coming because it's been a while since I've watched Watchmen. But as I recall some of the flourishes, like the I can't remember the name of the character where there was the guy that basically he dressed in a leotard and sprayed down the grease that he so that slide away, and he was just kind of like this background character that was seated throughout the series. I think things like that are coming and even with like I remember we talked about it on Multiverse News, the casting of Jason Ritter, and I was like, oh, this seems so obvious. He's obviously going to be the son of the corrupted, like sheriff or something like that, that has hold on the town. And that is true to some degree. He's the son of Will Macon, who clearly has some influence over the town, and his wife is very much you know, warning like, you know, don't get debt to this guy until you know what he's about. But I was I was, again to say, pleasantly surprised. It was you know, Jason Ritter is this lawyer who seems none the wiser really, but maybe that's just a guy's but that again, that's what intrigues me just knowing about it. Lindelof at the Helm like me too. There are already so many questions about allegiances, like how even goes in immediately suspicious, you know, like, oh, what do you want from me? How am I going to be in debt to you? If I if I help you, if I join your anti federal militia here and like, no, we're against the aliens. And even with that interrogation of Whalen, who reveals himself to be an alien, and he says, ultimately the goal is vengeance, but there was there was a sense of I know, I know he's an alien, but forgive the term here, just like humanity, like there was like some pain. There was for sure pathos there, like something had been lost. And again to knowing that it's Lindelof and his sensibilities and considering the modern time where that we're in and how police departments are really being kind of looked at and is their corruption there? Should they be defunded, you know, even though they protect the public or that's the general sentiment, what are they actually doing? I think the lanterns are being questioned in a real way. And I think that that alien Whalen was was kind of positing that kind of right up front, and I.
Speaker 1: Too, And I mean, even making will you will you Macon while he's cooking, he says, you know, he's suspicious of all non Earth entities, you know, like these aliens. But even when he talks about the Ring, because he knows this is part of the Lantern core. He says, now you got that weapon of mass destruction on your finger. It's like he doesn't view the Ring as a positive thing. You know, he's not sure even though this is a super he's viewing the ring as a weapon of mass destruction that just walked into his kitchen and he would rather have it on his side than not. But I think he thinks of it even as a you know, a extra terrestrial threat.
Speaker 2: Which is a lifelong fan of both Green Lantern and Lord of the Rings. How it's never dawned on me before how the Ring could be viewed in that way. It just felt so much like Fellowship of the Ring, like we could use the ring, or like no, the Ring should be destroyed. Yeah, that's a good point.
Speaker 1: It's a good point, by the way, that that that actor Garrett Dilla Hunt that plays William William Macon. I love that guy. He's been on a number of things that I really liked to I don't recognize him. He was a regular, like a regular kind of villain type person on a Burn Notice, which is a show I really liked.
Speaker 2: I do like Burn Notice. I haven't watched it from beginning to end, but I've I've I enjoy it when it when I catch it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm pretty sure, you know, unless I'm wrong, I'm looking at design to be I might be totally wrong on who that is, but I think, yeah, Fear of the walk Dead. He's a regular, a regular on Through the Walking Dead, and he was one of my favorite characters on that. Okay, and Byrne noticed I remember his face. I'm scanning and I don't see it in his IMDb, but it might just be like too far down because that show.
Speaker 2: Wasn't too popular.
Speaker 1: I'm looking at his his what his top casting things are, but uh, he's been in a lot of stuff.
Speaker 2: No Country for Old Men apparently. Oh interesting. Okay, I have to look him up and look up his filmography. But I I'm glad you mentioned him because at the first time he was introduced, and I know, it was kind of at a distance, and when they were close up, I was like, Okay, I bought his age a little bit more. But like the fact that he's supposed to be Jason Rider's father, I was like, whoa, he was like surprisingly young. But then when you get to reveal that Zoe is his wife who hooked up with Aaron John Stewart. I immediately was like, is something going on to like make these people age at a you know, decelerated or you know, less accelerated rate or something like that.
Speaker 1: I think it's called celebrity I think, uh, that's so you're thinking there. Yeah, I saw an article crossed my Feet earlier that said like, celebrities are refusing.
Speaker 2: To age and it's ruining media. But I mean even in the context of the story, like again, Zoe who who Aaron Pierre hooked up with? When? And I'm not trying to be you know, you know, check me if if my if if I'm out of lye here. But I was like, she's clearly, you know, not the most conventionally or traditionally attractive woman. She's got you know, some some wear and tear to her. But I did not expect you to be a grandma. I did not expect you to be a.
Speaker 1: Grand I knew, I know you mean, but she's got some wear in tear to her.
Speaker 2: It's pretty rough. Was that Laura Lenny? Uh No, I don't. I don't think we've seen Laura Lenny yet. Unless she's the sheriff, I'd be really surprised. If she was the sheriff. I think the sheriff is McDonald. Okay, I kept thinking it was Carrie Kune, but that's just probably the true detective bias there.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and I'm looking at the Laura Lennie doesn't have a I'm so bad with faces. I'm looking at all these people. No, yeah, it's not Laura Lenny. No, it can't be because I know her from Ozark and and yeah yeah, and that's just not her face. But uh, she must have been nut. She just must not be on the main page here. But Kelly McDonald, who plays Carrie, and I think that's the sheriff.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, that's that's what my researches is turning up as well. I feel like i'd recognize Laurel Lenny if I ye definitely always had a little bit of a crush on her. Oh yeah, very nice, especially considering she's, you know, a little bit of an older woman for me. Yeah, wear and tear there. I was trying to remember what you said. I was trying to the phrases so I.
Speaker 1: Could be like, yeah, not too much wear and tear for you there, jays Gunning.
Speaker 2: Good lord, it's the way she hates my guts. It's the way she hates them. It's a really good line. It's a really good line anyway.
Speaker 1: So there's a number of things I really like about the show. I really, I really do, and I'm so pumped to see Also, I'm excited for Kyle Chandler in this role because like they've got him in this very particular part in his career as Hal Jordan where he's like grizzled and older, and we're gonna see him over the course of it looks like from ninety six to twenty twenty six, So we've got like a thirty year time period to work with. And they say in that interview at the beginning, he came to Earth ten years ago or he got the Lantern ten years ago, so he's been around.
Speaker 2: Since eighty six.
Speaker 1: Wow, So like I if I'm not mistaken. So so that's forty years of how Jordan before he's dead in this episode. So like that means anything they do with the DCU in the future where they do like kind of flashbacky stuff, we could to have a dahed Kyle Chandler hopping around. It'sl Jordan at any moment, And I kind.
Speaker 2: Of love that. I was for a split second thinking that we were gonna get Nathan Fillion's Guy Gardner because when Aaron Pierre John Stewart shows up to Nebraska and you know, he has to intervene the police line that's at the city limits there and they say he gets on the radio and he says there's another one. I was like, Oh, Guy Gardner has already showed up because he heard that how Jordan was on his way over here, and not yeah, we know he's going to appear in the in the in the season, but not not quite Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, and I wonder, so they said that he's the first lantern for Earth, and apparently there's at least in twenty sixteen, he's the only lantern I believe they say, right, so before twenty twenty six when Superman is a cur in twenty twenty five or whatever, there's there's at least Guy Gardner. Does that mean Hal's either done or an active or I don't know. I'm more could it be that this this happens before and like Guy Gardner ends up with the Ring or whatever, Like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Well, that's that's what kind of what I'm wondering too. I think again about that final scene, seeing the frozen cadaver they're not having a ring and knowing that John doesn't have it, I was immediately thinking, oh, you know, it must be in the hands of some villain, but maybe guy has it. Yeah, that's the issue.
Speaker 1: Flew off of his hand like it did for Abn Sour or whatever, and like Aben sir, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I'm confused. No, No, you're right, Abencer. It's it's really tough when it comes to Abencer and in Yeah, that's what I was right, because we that thing flew off.
Speaker 1: Maybe that thing flew off of his hand and went straight to uh Guy Gardner who put it on, and and that maybe that's where he is in super But that would I think the timeline doesn't work because I think that happens before I think Superman happens before the twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: I think unclear. I think it's supposed to be like concurrent with when it came out. I think it's supposed to be Circle twenty twenty five, not justining.
Speaker 1: So who do you think is footing the bill? And I feel like there's one obvious answer, who is footing the bill for Macon's militia.
Speaker 2: You think it's obvious. Well, with you thinking saying you think it's obvious, that leads me to thinking maybe it's Lex Luthor. Yeah, okay, that was not my immediate thought though, but I do like that. I do you like it? Yeah? I feel like.
Speaker 1: I feel like it could easily be a The Internet says that Superman is set in May of twenty twenty five, so guy already had the ring tracks. Yeah, I thought it was set when it came out, which would make sense.
Speaker 2: But but yeah, yeah, I'm I'm wondering.
Speaker 1: If it could be Lex Luthor just hates aliens as much as you know. Uh, he's kind of young, though, I think to have because this is ten years before, so it'd be nine years before his role in Superman.
Speaker 2: So could he be paying is he is he too? Is he too young? Or could be his father? Could it be you know, oh yeah, yeah Lex Luthor. In the comics, Lex has a sordid history with his father, so totally could be. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just why like the fact that they had that conversation about how someone owns this lamb but the government wouldn't he wouldn't want the government to know because they'll crack down and all that stuff.
Speaker 2: I was like, who could it be. I'm glad you brought that up too, because maybe I've gotten the point across with everything else that we talked about. But I do think colonialism is going to be a strong through line for this series as well, because will William Macon says, you know, this belonged to the Sue and another tribe before them, and that's the scary thing about colonialism when you're the ones being colonized. That's why we're so scared of these extraterrestrial threats here.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, I'm I'm I'm low in that character, and I'm really I feel like it's.
Speaker 2: Very possible that that I thought it was.
Speaker 1: We were getting a story of kind of kind of like The Captain Marvel, where there's the alien threat, and then we find out it's really the the response to the alien threat that we really be worried about, you know what I mean. Like this militia is going after schools for refugees. Yeaheah, maybe these are just refugees, but then that guy says that they're there because of war. I mean, that could still be refugees though, like there could be a refugee.
Speaker 2: Thing happening here. He says that in the same breath though, that like I had to come to this planet that cares more about football a sport of competition, than they do about famine and the violence of their atmosphere, innocence whatever. Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: So I'm I don't know, very interesting to see where where all that's going. And uh, it's it doesn't seem like either one is an obvious hero Revillain there right, I'm concerned. I'm concerned about Making and his militia obviously, but I'm also that alien didn't seem like your friendly neighborhood alien.
Speaker 2: No, he didn't, he did not.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, I love that he called John out for sleeping with his wife.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's so funny. Will you say, like, nothing nothing better than eating off another man's grill? Oh?
Speaker 1: Good lord, it's pretty pretty pretty rough, pretty rough?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Well, uh, I feel good, feel good? Anything else you want to mention about this episode?
Speaker 2: Just the last thing that kind of comes to mind again, just to speak to I love Kyle Chandler, always have, but I feel like he's kind of like perfectly cast for this role in this series and the approach that they're taking, because even just with like the fact that we find his body on like bleachers there and like just the football field setting, given his Friday Night lights ten year, it just yep, it's it's meshing in a well in a way that really works for me. Yeah, well, it was almost too much.
Speaker 1: In the first episode, there's like four football mentions where he talks good offense or defense and he's like, whenever they need me, he's like, good man, Like that is just.
Speaker 2: Coach Taylor right there, like one hundred percent, and it's Aaron Pierre that gets to have the real like coaching moment. That's true. That is true.
Speaker 1: I mean he's he's picking up the Coach Taylor mantle.
Speaker 2: There we go. Well, I'm loving it.
Speaker 1: I like, like, like I said, I a little slow. It is my only real complaint. I like what it's doing, and I'm very interested in all the characters and stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, same here. I feel like I'm a little bit higher on this premiere than you are. But that's that's completely okay. We'll see where the series goes awesome.
Speaker 1: All right, man, Well, I will talk to you soon and we'll be back right.
Speaker 2: Here and always watching.
Speaker 1: Oh you want to tell the people anything about you got going on there, Scoots.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can always catch me over on Multiverse News. That's the Strand up Pad podcast where we talk about the latest and great in movie, TV and sometimes video game news. And then if you want to follow me on my personal stuff over on YouTube at Jase Scotti for real, trying to put out some movie reviews and whatnot. But the main thing that's kind of coming up here is I'm working on developing a short horror film to come out before the Halloween season, so that'll be a good place to keep tuned in for all that good stuff. I love it.
Speaker 1: I can't wait to hear about that, man. Yeah, yeah, yeah, Well, we'll be back real soon right here. I'm always over there at Multiverse News as well. Check that out Marvel Cinematic Universe Podcast. We've got a lot of stuff going on over there because all the D twenty three announcements and trailers. Oh yeah, yeah, Vision Quest trailer, Doomsday trailer, X x Men cast like kinds of stuff. So come join us over there Marvel cinemat Universe Podcast. We did we recorded a doomsday trailer reaction that's gonna go up on YouTube tonight and all kinds of stuff, So follow, subscribe here on the podcast and always watching and yeah, yeah, and I know we're doing plugs here, so this is many people probably won't listen to this, And I don't mean to make this podcast longer than it needs.
Speaker 2: To be, but I did want to mention like the timing of this I actually think is kind of ideal because I didn't at first when the series was first n out announced, it felt like we had to wait so long for it to come out. But I think in the wake of all these Marvel announcements but having to wait for any of those things to actually come to fruition, this is kind of a perfect time where the hype and interest around like superhero properties has been brought up that I think DC is really going to benefit from it. Yeah, and I think as Marvel is making a return to being the the golden child on the silver screen, I think DC can kind of potentially step in and really build a strong table of TV offerings.
Speaker 1: But we will see they've always done well in TV, Yeah we have. So Yeah, I'm excited.
Speaker 2: Eric, We'll be back. Peace you keep watching or will be watching while since we'll be watching it's been a while.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to always watching a Stranded Panda podcast. If you dig this podcast and want to see what else we do, go to strand atpana dot com for all our other myriad.
Speaker 2: Of podcasts in this geeky TV space. Thanks again