Speaker 1: Two weeks from tonight, October fifth, You Bet Your Life starring Groucho Marx, will be heard at this time over most of these same CBS stations, we offer you Escape, starring Victor Mature. Escape designed to free you from the four walls of to day for a half hour of high adventure.
Speaker 2: You were camped in the dry mountains of Mexico, a hundred yards from a treasure and buried gold. A beautiful girl is sitting across the fire with a gun, and somewhere out in the night, a horseman waits like the girl for you to make just one mistake.
Speaker 1: Tonight, with Victor Mature as Toby Manning, we escaped to Mexico with a story of conflict between love and the lust for gold, as Jeffrey Household told it him the Fortune of Bargas from his exciting novel The Third Hour.
Speaker 3: It was dark and hot. The tropic night air was like warm steam. Night's sounds drifted over from the docks and from the native quarter of Panama City. I stood outside the hotel entrance and looked up at the lighted window on the third floor where Baguely was waiting. After the night, I hoped I'd never see his ugly face again. Somewhere, somehow, I had to make the break.
Speaker 4: Okay, Okay, you can have your three weeks off, but you'll never do it.
Speaker 3: You haven't got the guts to break away. Fatly, it doesn't take guts to break away from a lousy job peddaling mining machinery in Latin America.
Speaker 4: I'll look, Toby, you could be South American manager in ten years if you'd settled down and work at it and stop beating your head against the wall.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, maybe in twenty five years I could retire and drop dead. Look, all I need is one right break, and I'll take it from there. Any kind of a break you need more than a break, Toby, If one fell right in your lap, you'd play it just so far, and then you'd start doubting yourself or somebody else, and that's what would beat you. Maybe so, But I've got the next three weeks now.
Speaker 4: Look, every time I come to Panama, you say you're gonna quit. Every time you tell me a big chance for real money is just around the corner. Why don't think it wise to you? All right, all right, lay off of me, will you Bakeley Report to me in New York on the twenty ninth. I'll lay out your new schedule for you.
Speaker 3: Don't count on it. You'll be there, all right. I'll give you odds on it.
Speaker 4: I'll bet you don't do a thing except sit in the sun for the next three.
Speaker 3: Weeks setting the sun for three weeks. That would suit bagly fine to see me come crawling back again. Well, I didn't have a definite plan, but I knew i'd keep on the move. I was so fed up with Batley the job mining machinery, I'd have jumped at anything. A guy in a mood like that can get into plenty of trouble. And three days later I found it.
Speaker 2: Do you have any of the senior manding? Welcome back to Colonna, to the Cari.
Speaker 3: Hi, Evanuel, what's new?
Speaker 2: You waste not, amigo? The world grows older, but that is not new?
Speaker 3: He sit down? Thanks? How's business? Say? Place is empty?
Speaker 2: We see sometimes good, sometimes baddens, never is interesting or in fact, I have said to myself, with a life of this kind, I am how do you call it up? Hey? See see?
Speaker 3: Yes, Oh my look, why don't we team up and start a revolution somewhere?
Speaker 2: Karamba. I was in one. Once in Mexico, I was a capitan with the General Lara.
Speaker 3: We were defeated. Lara Lara was ambushed somewhere around Torreon. Wasn't he he? Here mego?
Speaker 2: We were outnumbered and he was killed. But I was more lucky. I walked three hundred kilometers to the sea coast escape on a Dutch for its ship. Hey, Carama, I hope I will never do that again.
Speaker 3: So too, you know there's not much profit and revolution. All right, let me have a wrong man.
Speaker 2: You well see here you are in your You were wrong about the revolutions. In your marning in Mexico with General Lara, I made a fortune like a man never dreams.
Speaker 3: About enough to open this cafe. Like, I don't call that a fortune.
Speaker 2: Then your mannay in Mexico is one half million dollars in goal which belonged to.
Speaker 3: Me half a million bucks. Yeah, yeah, yeah, sure it is true. I may go. I swear it.
Speaker 2: You will would take a little chance for that much?
Speaker 3: Perhaps? Perhaps? Why?
Speaker 2: Why then we are going to have talked tonight. I have already decided that before you come here this time.
Speaker 3: I don't get it. What do you mean why.
Speaker 2: You think I ask questions from you always when you come here you tell me, because I wish to find out if you are a right man for the plan I have. I have decaid that you are boying. Well, let's talk tonight at my castle.
Speaker 3: Why not?
Speaker 2: Now you think there is no danger for one who knows the secret to a fortune, one must be careful.
Speaker 3: A fortune the big chance. Come on, Manuel, Let's get over to your cassa and start dealing the cards.
Speaker 2: So, as I tell you, Senor Manning, everything works according to the plan which Hanner Alara has made. The dynamite explodes and the train is wrecked. Our men break open the freight cars and load the pack horses and ride for the roundezvus at Torreon.
Speaker 3: Everybody except to you in general law it was at it. We are the.
Speaker 2: Only ones who know the shipment of gold which is secretly on board. We find it, of course, Laura horses and head north to the hills, with the Federalists close behind us. At nightfall, we bury the gold ride for Torreon. I have four days later, and that Alara is killed and I escape as I tell you, and the gold is still there, a half a million dollars worth, Sisor, and I am the only man who knows where to find it. But if I inenter Mexico, I will be executed within twenty four hours. That is why I need a partner. You've got one, only one thing.
Speaker 3: I may go.
Speaker 2: Do not think that there will be no danger in mehe co or thousands of bandidos who we'll cut your throat for one tenth as much money.
Speaker 3: And on the other hand, a half a share and a fortune a quarter of a million dollars. I'd shoot the works for a whole lot less than that. Boy.
Speaker 2: Then I will explain to you have to find it.
Speaker 3: But what is qudapo?
Speaker 2: Here's somebody move outside the window.
Speaker 3: Mamasaf here, careful, Manuel, Manuel, waste from that door here? Let me get the lights off there. Did you see who it was? No?
Speaker 2: I think these shots come from the bushes across from the door.
Speaker 3: Well maybe we better take a look. Let's get to the door, passed and step to the side. You got your gun, see, Senor, Okay, let's go. I do not hear anything, Senor. No, and it's as black as a hat. I'm going across.
Speaker 5: Manuel, keep me covered, Boeno, there is.
Speaker 2: Nobody there on me.
Speaker 3: Go. No, whoever it was must have run down the alley there as soon as they fired. Say you've got any ideas, there's no, amigo. Look Manuel, if nobody but you and Laurel knew about this gold and Laura is dead, then how come the shot? And why have you been packing a gun?
Speaker 2: Senor Mandy? And there he said, treasure so big as this, it is possible that even the coyotes can smell it.
Speaker 3: You still wish to go on? Yeah, I still wish to go on. Three days later, on the train between Mexico City and Durango, I got a few of the answers, or thought I did. The coach had been empty most of the way, except for a couple of soldiers up ahead and a few Indians near the back. I was busy watching for some of the landmarks Barga had given me, so I didn't pay much attention to the Mexican girl who came in and sat down the seat. Ops. That is not until she spoke.
Speaker 6: Then you're you're wasting your time. This three kilometers farther yet? What the place where the train was read? I said, we're not there yet, honey.
Speaker 3: I don't think I know what you're talking about.
Speaker 2: You're lying.
Speaker 6: You know well enough, and do not call me honey. Then your my name is Conzuela Cantuela.
Speaker 3: That's a pretty name, honey.
Speaker 6: Do not play the pool with me. Manuel Vargas tell you where he hide the goal, So do not lie to me.
Speaker 3: Oh so it was you out there and the bushes with the gun that night. You know you're a bum shot.
Speaker 6: I do not try to hit somebody. I only should to have the chance to get away. You're a fool if you think because I am a woman, I am weak. I know all the tricks of men. They are perils dogs, all of them, and I would not trust one that far.
Speaker 3: Okay, honey, take it easy, Take it easy.
Speaker 6: I spend a long time to find Manuel in Bologne. I watch, but I learned nothing until you come. And now I am here for my one half share of the gold. What do you mean you're hair Hanna Alara was my father.
Speaker 3: So that's right. Well you have to work that with Voga. I don't know anything about I.
Speaker 7: Am telling you now.
Speaker 6: You still think I'm a silly girl who can do nothing?
Speaker 3: Eh? Look, senors, all right, look it's a nice guy. You better put it back now, you see, honey, if you shoot me, you'd have no one to lead you to the gold. I know where it is, you don't, so.
Speaker 6: You lead me to it, and don't forget I'm very good at shooting.
Speaker 3: Okay, honey for the time being, count yourself in, but.
Speaker 6: Have no mistakes on your I shall take my share of this gold, even if I must kill you to get it.
Speaker 3: You understand, I understand. We'll argue about that later.
Speaker 6: And something else. Send your yes, do not call me, honey?
Speaker 8: Why not?
Speaker 9: Senor?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I guess we're ready to pull out. How about it? Cants, well you wish well, thanks a lot for your trouble seeing pascualas say, you know, it looks like you've runned us five of the best horses into riding.
Speaker 9: Yes, naha, he's very bad country herd your god, Senor, Perhaps you would like to hire a guide.
Speaker 3: No, thanks, I know that country pretty well.
Speaker 9: But of course, and you're going to call it the mine, do you under Senor? Retame sell machinery Verdad?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 9: I think you need a guide, singer. Some of the mines are very hard to find, especially the gold mines.
Speaker 3: Gold mines, Oh, well as uh far as I know. It's all lead and silver country up there.
Speaker 9: We see mostly this, but there is an old saying gold is where do you find it?
Speaker 3: Senor?
Speaker 7: Wasting time? This man would be no help to us.
Speaker 3: How do you know? Ever seen him before? Of course not, you ask, just wondered.
Speaker 7: I've never seen him before.
Speaker 3: Okay, are you singer? Amos?
Speaker 8: Good by? My shielder?
Speaker 3: Oh he Vancito? Have my horse ready to live up once? I'm going to take a little train. You are listening to Escape, starring Victor Mature.
Speaker 1: Tonight's a big night on CBS or the welcome Matt is out for two of radio's greatest shows, The Bing Crosby Show and the return of Burns and Allen In just a little while over many of these same stations, der Bingal will be on hand with his songs as humor and his guests comedian Abe Burroughs and Peggy Lee. Right after Bing's housewarming, George and Gracie will keep the celebration going with the first of their new series. So stay with us tonight for Bing Crosby and for Burns and Allen and their opening shows on CBS.
Speaker 3: Where this fall you hear them all tune in this ball for the shows that you love best of all, and listen carefully.
Speaker 7: Here's me yet, It's ee.
Speaker 3: See me yet? And now back to Escape, starring Victor Mature. We camped to dusk, about a quarter of a mile from the spot where the train had been dynamited. Vargas had given me directions starting from there. After we eight, I let a cigarette roll up my blanket and watched Consuela across the fire. She was worth watching. I kept wondering about several things, but mostly who the horseman was. Who has been following us all day? I'd seen the dust cloud hanging back a hour or so behind us ever since we left o Wrangle. I didn't say anything about it to Consuella. I still hadn't decided what I was going to do about her. I think I was fairly safe from her or from anybody else until the minute I tipped off the location of the gold, and right then when the picture would change and change plenty.
Speaker 6: Send your money. Why are you staring at me?
Speaker 3: Likely just wondering some things things.
Speaker 7: What thinks mmm?
Speaker 3: With a girl like you would really kill me just for gold? I do not trust anybody, Senor All right, But let's drop the senior make it Toby.
Speaker 7: You wish he's hope. No matter to me, Toby.
Speaker 3: Look, suppose I've made a deal with you. String along and don't start any trouble until I get the gold of New York. Then if your really law's daughter, I'll try to get Vargas to agree on a three way split, one third for each of us. What do you say?
Speaker 6: I think?
Speaker 3: I do not like it New York.
Speaker 6: I will be in a strange place here. I'm at home here too. I have gone kin save well, think.
Speaker 3: It over anyway, that's your best bet. I'm going to turn in now. We'll start early in the morning.
Speaker 9: Wh See, I'm.
Speaker 7: I will think it over.
Speaker 6: But Senor.
Speaker 7: Toby, yeah, Hi, I wish you to know that I do not trust you either. Okay, I do not trust anybody.
Speaker 3: You understand that, sure? Sure? I understand? Can I can't swear? The second day out of traveling was ten times as rough, and all day long, the same dust cloud stayed with us, following a mile or so behind. I knew there'd have to be a showdown sooner or later, but not yet. When we finally made camp at nightfall, I was dripping with sweat and dog tied, and Consuello was slump in her saddle. All of Manuel's landmarks had checked out during the day, and although she didn't know it, the gold was supposed to be buried within a hundred yards of our camp. This was the night to trim the cat's claws. I was counting on one thing that she couldn't stay awake two nights in succession, and I was right. By two hours after dark, with the full moon barely above the horizon, Conzuela was sound asleep. I slid out of my bed roll and moved quietly around the fire towards her. I knew the gun was under the blanket at her head, so I bent over her and slowly gently slipped my hand under and found it, eased it out into the open inch by inch, and dropped it into my pocket. I'd forgotten about her knife until the gunnered in the moonlight. She leaped from the ground and came for me.
Speaker 10: While she's struggling, twisted follow like a panther. As small as she was, like an hardly hold. I couldn't get hold of brother hand. I don't wonder the knife the wife might slip looser than any second thought. We fought in the moonlight, stumbling and slipping, but staying on our feet.
Speaker 3: I could see only one thing to do. I pulled her torn, bend her arm back, and twisted.
Speaker 7: To drop.
Speaker 3: But can't swell.
Speaker 10: Drop that now, drop that knife.
Speaker 3: Sorry, you shouldn't have You should have dropped it. You broke my arm better than being cut to ribbons the way I have been.
Speaker 7: Why are you time talking? You think I'm afraid to die?
Speaker 3: You're wrong.
Speaker 7: You have the gun, you have my knife.
Speaker 3: Go ahead kill me while you wait? Wait a minute, what do you get this idea? I'm going to kill gol?
Speaker 7: Why else you wait for me to sleep and steal my gun?
Speaker 8: Oh?
Speaker 3: You silly little fool. Look, I was trying to make sure you wouldn't take a shot at me after we located at gold tomorrow. You went, of course not. Look. Why don't you get smart and find out you can trust somebody once in a while. I'll wake up now and get some sense in your hair. I'll shake some sense and tell you if I have to h Why you look like that? You you little devil?
Speaker 7: Oh m are you going to no? H?
Speaker 2: You kiss me?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Why I don't know.
Speaker 7: I think you're going to kill me then you kiss me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, there's your knife.
Speaker 7: I just know you take it away from me.
Speaker 3: I know, I know, I know, but look, you better keep it for protection. Never mind, just just take it.
Speaker 6: Oh h.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I'm going to turn in now, and look, you'd better get some sleep too. We got a tough day to bar and honey, if you decide to cut my throat during the night, make a clean job of it.
Speaker 7: Dopey, are you awake?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Winess much. Maybe I was a fool to give her back the knife. Still, if she wanted to kill me, it wouldn't make any difference. She could knock my head in with a rock while I was asleep, just as easy. I never known a woman like her. At ten o'clock the next morning, we found the gold.
Speaker 7: That is only Toby. There's no more.
Speaker 3: No, it's all on the pack horses. Now. Look, starting right now, we're going to ride hard until we hit the Nass River. Somebody's been followed this ever since we left the wrangle. I don't know who it is or why. Maybe you do.
Speaker 7: I how could I know, Toby?
Speaker 2: I swear I do not.
Speaker 3: Okay, okay, here. Now, look, you better take your gun back. You may need it in case we get separated.
Speaker 6: I'm going to stay with it.
Speaker 3: Go sure you are, but you better take the gun anyway. Now, come on, let's go. Mile after mile we pushed our horses on the trail to the north, riding most of the day over broken basalt rock to hide our trail. There was no dust cloud to show whether anyone followed, but I was sure somebody did. I was hoping to reach the Nassis River before the showdown came. I knew there was only a rope bridge over the narrow gage, and once across, I would cut the ropes and close off any further chance of being followed. So we pushed the horses and rode hour after hour. By late afternoon, Consuela complained more and more, being tired, wanted to stop and rest, and I couldn't be sure she wasn't trying to slow us down. Two hours after dark, we reached the river. Toby, you bache ahead of us. I'm so glad and so should have alone, Honey. Looking, there's the moon. This thing's no sense to cross in the dark. He looks very weak. He's only held up by ropes. It's safe enough. Whoa boy, whoa, whoa h hah yeah, hold my horse. I'll lead the pack animals across on foot.
Speaker 6: To be careful.
Speaker 3: Are you worried about me or the gold? Hurry?
Speaker 7: Please take them across.
Speaker 8: Wait, I think that will not be necessary. Senor, you would put up your hands, do no move?
Speaker 3: Can you see this in the shadow right by the bridge? It's best, Quala said guy in d Wrango. Were you expecting a swear to.
Speaker 8: You that the senor you will drop your pistol on the ground very slowly?
Speaker 3: Eh, glady, that's very kind of.
Speaker 8: You to discover the gold for me.
Speaker 3: How did you know we were looking for?
Speaker 9: I forgot to tell you in the Wrango. I'm Sergenti Alberto Pasqualis, formally with the fourth Regiment of General Alara and the Army of the.
Speaker 7: Revolution were not my father's soldiers.
Speaker 9: For five years I have waited for Capita and Vargas to come back for the fortune which I knew he had stolen. Stand out in the moonlight, please, bastante. That's far enough.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 9: I lead the horses across the bridge, and then I cut the rope so that you cannot follow me.
Speaker 8: If you move, I will have to kill you.
Speaker 3: To be quiet and don't move. No, council, no, no, don't, don't have to move. The pack horses reared the shots. I longed to stop them, stumbled at the concueller grab during hell on hundred people from falling. The half mad animals carried Pasqualas out under the bridge and drove him along in front of their pounding hoofs. I heard the rope supports creaked and groan and then snap with a loud crack and like slow motion, in the hole end of the bridge, Pasqualas of the three pack horses loaded with gold and plunged down into the guards below.
Speaker 7: Toby, I'm hurt, very bad, hurt. What do you mean, I feel the bullet here?
Speaker 3: No easy now, Look you're going to be all right alone. Worried.
Speaker 7: I'm not afraid to die. Yeah, I like it very much.
Speaker 3: When you call me honey, honey, I'll be calling to that thousands of times. Well, I'll be Ganzhua Gonzuela. I knelt there in the moonlight, holding her in my arms, with the bare brown hills of Mexico around me, and cursed myself for a fool. The gold was gone, lost in the torrent at the bottom of the garage. But it didn't seem to matter very much. I'd found a greater treasure, and because I had too little faith, that treasure lay dead in my arms. I lowered her gently and sat there for a long time. Then I picked up the gun, and she died trying to use the empty gun I had taken the cartridges out of because I didn't trust her, and threw it into the garage. Then I dropped down on the ground and wept. I remembered Baitley's words. You need more than a break, Toby.
Speaker 4: If one fell right in your lap, you'd play it just so far, and then you'd start doubting yourself or somebody else.
Speaker 3: I told you you'd show up, Toby. You even got here a day early. Yeah, I know, Bailey. Well let's settle up my schedule. You must have had yourself quite a vacation. You didn't find the big chance, did you?
Speaker 9: No?
Speaker 3: I didn't find. Well, what'd you do?
Speaker 4: Just sit around in the sun for three weeks? Come on, tell me about it. Didn't anything happen?
Speaker 3: That's right, Baisley. You hit it square on the head. Nothing happened not a Thing.
Speaker 1: Escape was produced and directed by Gordon T. Hughes, with Victor Mature starring as Toby Manning. Tonight we've presented the Fortune of Vargas, adapted for radio by Less Crutchfield. Victor Mature will soon be seen in the twentieth century Fox Technicolor production Wabash Avenue. Next week we Escape with Van Heflin starring in Joseph Perginsheimer's terrifying story Wild Oranges. Good Night then until the same time next week, when once again will offer you Escape, starring Van Heflin. This is CBS where Bing Crosby can be heard every Wednesday night. The Columbia Broadcasting System
Speaker 3: H