Speaker 1: Hey, listen to Come Who Go Podcast, Episode four seventy five. I'm Brando, I'm here thrown I did. We got a special guests for to talk to magic stuff. It's a minute strata now theme. Hey Bryan, we're back and forget another whirlwind adventure. How you doing?
Speaker 2: Hit a themes song? Hit a theme song? We don't know what it is.
Speaker 1: We haven't picked it yet as of now.
Speaker 3: In the future, when people are listening to this through the magic of technology, we will have one. And I hope you liked it, because we're sticking with it forever unless you hate it, in which case we'll change it to something else.
Speaker 2: Or we already have one because editor Joe sung it last time. You might just keep that one forever.
Speaker 1: But he didn't send me the file of it so I can edit it back.
Speaker 3: O man, and I can't get into a cappella that thing every week. That's that's asking a little much, editor, just.
Speaker 2: A little bit. Yeah. So hey, speaking of asking a lot of people. We have a special guest.
Speaker 3: But before we get to that, well, we'll talk about that toast in a second. Sure, And there's a guy here too, which is really kind of freaking me out. But we have to thank our official business dat Fusion Gaming Online dot Com, a source for all your gaming needs. And we also have to thank Pile of Bones Brewing Co. They're the second coolest thing to come out of Regina, as well as being the official beer sponsor for CCEO.
Speaker 2: Sidewalk Flab.
Speaker 1: Being recorded chronologically the day after tomorrow to be aired right here on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Oh so excited. We've got our first sidewalk slam in the damn studio. Big thanks to producer Gary. We're recording this way totally at a different time, so he's like, come on, we got to running around pulling his hair out.
Speaker 1: Now we got a live show that's happening like right away, so we have to make sure that we record the whole show and then be out of here.
Speaker 3: Is that they can redress the whole sets. They can do some professional shit unlike what we're doing right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so big thanks to Gary. Fusion CCO holiday promo code. If you want to save some money on the stuff you're gonna buy anyways, you'd see the quote on the screen if you're watching on YouTube, which should be Editor Joe works hard. We appreciate him. We today for some fun and stories. Have our good friend Kelly from Face to Face Games here a little bit. We're going to talk about the Canadian Magic Tour. But we just did an episode of Commander History on that, so check that out anywhere you find your podcasts. We're on the YouTube channel. But we we had some questions because in a Stride's coming out and uh, we wanted to pick your brain as somebody who's kind of got the inn uh in the industry.
Speaker 1: So wait a second, here, this this is Kelly.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, the toast is somebody else.
Speaker 1: Well where's the hat? Oh?
Speaker 2: Where is the hat? Okay, introduce yourself and tell us about the hat.
Speaker 4: Well, thanks for having me, guys, really having to be here. I'm Kelly from Face to Face Games, yep, and a big fan of the show, big fan of the show. I'm not big fan Fusion Games as well. They're great partners of ours, so big shout of the Fusion and uh yeah, so uh most of you don't recognize me. I'm incognito because I'm not wearing my grandfather's hat. It's at the it's it needs, it needs a day to rest before the big show tomorrow.
Speaker 2: The storm before the storm but it is.
Speaker 4: It is here, and it will be on site tomorrow. I'm wearing my my battle penguin took here instead tonight. So the hat is a really special part of me. Actually, if I can hat ramble for a moment. Yeah. My grandfather was sort of a a businessman who I inspired me to sort of start my own business. And he, you know, he's very old fashioned. You know, he's the kind of guy who kept a hundred dollars bill in his shoe at all times because you never know when you just need a hondo, you know. Yes, But he told me, you know, when I was about sixteen years old, We're at like a old family get away for his eighty fifth birthday in Montana. He said, Kelly, you're going into business. You need a good hat. Okay, good advice. So I took the one off his head and put it on my head. Hey, give him my hat back. I know, he said I need a good hat. So I stole yours. And he really didn't want to back, but my grandmother didn't let him.
Speaker 2: He's like, it looks.
Speaker 4: So good on him, he looks good on it. You give him the hat. Give him the hat.
Speaker 2: So the first business lesson was you need a good hat. The second one is it's okay to steal.
Speaker 4: Well family, you know, a little family theft. So yeah, so that's and then you know, the hat sort of became a bit of a bit of a by guiding star, my symbol of like, you know, being the center of attention because at the at these shows, at these big face to face tour events, I'm usually the guy with the answer. So when other people, the other staff are like, oh, you got to go talk to the guy with the hat all the time, it's an easy way to communicate with folks who then need to wander across the convention center to find me.
Speaker 2: We oh, man, if we had a counter for every time somebody in CECO Nations said, okay, just go talk. You see the guy with the hat, go talk to him, the orange shirt hat him. He's your guy. And it doesn't matter if it's you or I or one of our guests for a CEO experience or anything. It's it's like, hey, good, there's palliative pizzas that we got to deliver hat over there. That guy all the time. Yeah, and didn't you lose it one time?
Speaker 4: He's been lost and found many times, many times, yep, yep. So it's I mean it's been uh, you know, six seven years. I've been doing the hat. Yeah, travels, travels.
Speaker 2: There you go. It's like a pregame ritual now, right, Like batters in the batting box, they do all their all their stuff and they you know, all the Yeah, he just he just happens.
Speaker 4: Sports reference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a sports ball reference. So we've got Kelly here. He's in town from Winter Peg. Fusion's actually Kelly's local game stores. You know what, It's true. His daughter goes there and dumpsters guys in Pokemon all the time. He said. Really, we throw down pretty much that part of the interview.
Speaker 1: Now I wasn't here for that.
Speaker 2: People actually played Pokemon, or.
Speaker 3: Maybe I was busy eating tacos on the couch and I couldn't hear you over the crunching.
Speaker 2: Oh yes, very much so. But not what we're talking about today, Not Pokemon, not pre releases, not Fusion. We wanted to pick your brain a little bit about in Austrode because you played during OG in.
Speaker 4: Austrod Buddy, I was running pre releases back in before face to face games. I was I was running in Astra pre release, and I remember because I knew it was Friday. I knew I was gonna be able to play the Sunday pre release, and I thought, maybe I should open my pre release pool early, you know, to build my deck because I'll be busy while everyone else is building on Sunday. I was like, no, I should save it because I don't want to open like the nuts and then have people accuse me, Oh yeah, you just dacked it. And man, is a good thing I waited because I opened the most insane pre release pool to date. What it was, it was Black Red Vampires. I had the blood Gift Demon, the one that like lets you Frexian Arena every turn.
Speaker 2: Or your opponent if they're at one, you can kill.
Speaker 4: Yeah, exactly that you can nuke your opponent for one turn. I had the Flip, the Bloodline keeper Flip vampire that poops up more little vampire. Okay. Then I had Olivia, the Black Red Olivia the legendary creatures, the huge uhh I think that was yep, yep, so right there like three playable rares. I had the dude, the like mad scientists who makes the five to five demons okay, and then I had, uh the there was one other rare, one other playable rare. Oh it was one of the rare curses that like actually was good, the black one. I can't remember what.
Speaker 2: It is, man, Yeah, I don't remember, but remember the curse being a thing and limited though, like if you if you drafted, because lots of them were on commons, you could get a few curses and like go to town.
Speaker 4: Right, And then the only rare I had that wasn't on color was a foil snapcast mate.
Speaker 5: Oh no, oh.
Speaker 4: Wiping my eyes with my wads. So yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, man.
Speaker 2: That was That's almost the exact same thing that. And I might have told the story on the cast before. But my first ever in a STRAD draft, and I swear we're a Commander podcast, but just listen to how crazy this is. So I'm sitting my first ever in a STRAD draft. I'm sitting at a table. There's like two guys on the long side, two guys in the long side, and then me and another dude are on the ends. Set eight maybe there's three and three and two. Yeah, eight of us and the dude that's sitting right next to me his first draft ever, and like young kid, maybe maybe thirteen whatever, fourteen knew at Magic and not as new as I thought. It turns out, do you remember, like everybody was all hubbub and all up in arms. Oh wow, these double sided cards. We have to reveal them when we draft. There's no strategy because they know what I'm drafting. Blah blah blah.
Speaker 1: Right, yeah, they're drafting werewolves. You're gonna get poned, like yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh unless you unless the dude to my right opens Bloodline Keeper and shows Bloodline Keeper, and i put all my shit down, all heavy, and I'm like, oh wow, here we go. Our draft's got Bloodline Keeper. That guy's gonna win literally best card in the set because it ships out vampires every turn and it's a limited five flyer or whatever.
Speaker 4: Yeah, limited bomb.
Speaker 2: So he shuffles his pack up, picks his ship, shuffles his packup, passes it to me and I'm flipping through it. Bloodline Keeper still in the pack, and I've thought, man, this guy must be new. This guy's an idiot, And I'm like, fuddy, hey, h literally, this is the best card in the in the draft, Like, there's nobody that opened up a better card than this one. You should probably take this one. He goes, no, I'm okay. I'm like, all right, this is the best card. It's it's gonna be good. You should build a black deck. He's like, no, no, no, that's fine, don't need it. So I picked it. So I picked it, and I freaking won prizes in that draft. I don't think I want it, but I want prizes. And then later I says to him, I says, hey, why didn't you pick the bloodline vampire? And he goes, Foil Snapcaster. Oh yeah, he's like, yeah, I'm gonna.
Speaker 4: I probably opened the same booster pack. Probably like went through a black hole from him to me.
Speaker 2: I think I won like three packs or something in the draft, and he just traded his Foil Snapcaster and he got a whole blox.
Speaker 4: Oh remember when rares they.
Speaker 2: Used to matter? Yeah? Well, I I actually have one more in astrad story, and this one directly involves Brando. Me. Yes, I love stories. You're gonna remember as soon as I start telling it. Okay, So Brando and I one time it's in a strade and Dark Ascension. That's that was the next one, right, Dark Ascension before Avison restored was the was the big set again? Right? It went big little big yep. So we had like instrade maybe four instras, two dark ascensions, and we were doing sealed two headed Giants, sealed limited. Was it you and me and we were we were the two headed giants? Yes, so it's me and you and.
Speaker 1: We did really good.
Speaker 2: You built We built you like some red black or sorry red green thing were wolves, and we built me blue black vampires or mill or some shit like as we do.
Speaker 4: Right, A mill deck is so fun.
Speaker 2: So so we were playing and we sit down with this this other two guys that we didn't know, and the guy shuffling, shuffling, shuffling, and then he flips his deck over face up and he starts pile shuffling, face up, pile shoffling like land card card, land card card, land card card land or whatever. Right, and then he gives it to you and he said, and he says, can you cut? And you pick up his deck? No sleaves, nose leaves because why and you start chaps. He's like, what are you doing? Man? And me and you just jumped on him. Hey, well you're a pile shuffler. You can't stack your deck like that and expect us not to shuffle it. And then he was like, well, you can't shuffle somebody else's deck. I can randomize your deck in any way that I want that isn't damaging your cards.
Speaker 4: Much.
Speaker 2: And then he goes, well you're damaging my cards. They've got foils in there. I'm like, should have sleaved it. Then we're not giving this guy an inch no, and uh and then uh oh man, oh fuck, it was so funny. No, well, it gets even better when you took it back from him. You you like card card land, card card land, card card land to randomize it. Then you stacked it back up. That's what it was. That's what made him so mad because you stacked it back up. You unweaved it, yep. And he's like, well you can't do that, and you said, well, I'm randomizing your deck and then you started to shuffle it. Man, I told the story all wrong, But the point was these guys like got so mad. They got so mad at us, and eventually he was like, well give you my cards back or man, this like this is this, like this could get ugly. I didn't know we were gonna come show up play with some assholes, they're going to wreck our cards, Like, how do you settle this? And he was like, do you want to go outside and fight? Like that's where he was going, And then Brando and I were just like, no, I don't know, we can call the store owner. That's probably better. He's like, okay, fine, I'll just play the cards. But if I get manuscrewed, now it's.
Speaker 4: Your all your fall.
Speaker 2: Oh that was our intra to head a giant and we dumpster them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we demolished them.
Speaker 2: If it would ended up being a good game, it would have been fine.
Speaker 4: But no, you got horribly.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you started thirty or whatever, right, and man, we were at like twenty eight and they were at negative ten like it was. It was a and you milled them and we milled them and we poisoned them.
Speaker 1: It was a heavy beating. It was a heavy sack beating.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah, So that's not even the.
Speaker 3: First time that I did something like that either. It don't sound like a huge asshole. Somebody else did that whole Mano weaving thing again. I just took their deck and liked card land card.
Speaker 1: And I unweaved it and then I just put the stacks.
Speaker 3: Back together and then cut it a couple of times, just like they did before they gave it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I gave it back.
Speaker 1: To them and they were like whoa. I was like, that's that's how you shouldn't have showed me. You were cheating. And then she draws her hand and she looks at It's fine, I'll keep it. And it was seven land.
Speaker 4: It was seven and the rest of the other eleven land in her deck and then and well man.
Speaker 3: And my I was playing want a Red at the time when Goblin Guide was still a thing, So I turned one goblin Guide swing. She shows me a land, puts it into her hand, plays a Land, discards a card on her turn. I played another Goblin Guide, swinging.
Speaker 1: With two of them land land into her hand. Then she played a Land, discarded two cards.
Speaker 2: Oh, she played the whole game.
Speaker 1: It was very funny for me. She was very upset.
Speaker 2: The reason I wanted to tell the story is because it was about weaving, and I told it wrong. But we've got in strad Remastered coming out. It's a compilation of all the in sets put together, and we wanted some intel from somebody in the industry about how it like, how it happens, And we talked about like opening packs and sorting machines and tell us about that because nobody, like nobody gets it.
Speaker 3: I think we just go to face or fusion or wherever, and we like add it to our card and then you guys send it to us after we give you some money. So like before that, how does the card go from? Like do they send you big like bales of cards bricks that you buy for the store, or do you have to open boxes like the rest of us chumps, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, how does it happen?
Speaker 4: It's it's a great question, yeah, because you know face to face games and other big magic the gathering retailers. You know, our main business is buying and selling and trading in the single cards.
Speaker 1: Yea.
Speaker 4: And for anyone who's cracked a box trying to find that card you need and gone through seventy.
Speaker 2: Five, where's that damn common ever?
Speaker 4: Ever?
Speaker 2: You ever crack a box?
Speaker 1: There? Uncle bred that you want to never?
Speaker 4: So it really is, you know, you know, leave it to us to get the boxes cracked and get folks the cards you need, because then you can just buy the single cards you need. And you know, I genuinely, from the bottom of my heart, it is better to buy the cards you need. New pack smell is delicious, you know, we all love it, But do yourself a favor. When you're hunting for specific cards. Just go to your local game store shop you know, from us or anybody else, and grab the specific individual card you need.
Speaker 2: So very so I'm gonna add to that, just for clarity's sake, very specifically, don't order your cards on Amazon or buy them at Walmart. Correct are we are we cool with that? We can say that, we can see that. Okay, okay, just make.
Speaker 4: Sure and yeah, and the reason is because your local game store is gonna host an event. They're gonna have you out for draft. They're gonna be someone who when new product comes out that's rare and hard to get, you can if you know your game store owner's name, you're gonna be able to say, hey, can you put a box aside for me and and actually get it. You know, these are people who pre siate your business a lot more than you know a rounding error in Amazon's quarterly you know, And and it's going to mean something to them that you chose to shop with them rather than you know, and and even us, like people people call us the Walmart of Magic at Face Face Games because you know when they're grouchy at us. But like I'm one of the owners, you know, like it's still owned by a couple of humans who you know live in Canada and shop at our local stores and things like that. You know how economies work.
Speaker 2: You know what we say, We've we've said on Commander Cookot a couple of times, like of of the CCO Media Group and local game stores and Fusion and Face and that are like our Canadian partners and brands. Here is in all likelihood it's somebody's business. And like we say, we appreciate when people invest in our business. And and that is somebody's you know, gas money or food or you can pay an employee, and that's somebody's job. Right, So it matters to people.
Speaker 4: Right, Yeah, it absolutely does. So we appreciate all our customers. Thanks so much to everybody who does shop locally. Now, in terms of the mechanics, how do we get cards on our website? Yeah, because people always want to know, like how you guys have pre orders up because we don't get the product any earlier than anybody else. Yeah, right, So one thing we'll do is we'll sort of guess at how many copies we're going to open. And so when Brando's cracking packs trying to find that one, we do the same thing. We just crack packs and sort. Now, you know, generally a big store like us, we open enough product where we can pretty comfortably guess, Okay, we're gonna open X. That means we'll get this many copies. There's a distance you.
Speaker 2: Should kind of charge. You can look at. We need this one mythic. We're going to open up this much of this kind of product, And it's at this rarity, like there's math equations that can loosely govern how much product you think you.
Speaker 4: Should open right totally, and and so we can do some math like that. Now the challenge is UH, to be honest, I don't work in that end of the business anymore. I'm exclusively on the tour. But I will tell you some hilarious stories because we used to hilarious back in the day. We used to take pre orders and then we would just crack until we hit that. And Wheels used to be very very strict on when we could get the product and so we would you know, they would say it cannot ship until, you know, the day before release. Well, we're getting the product into the store on Thursday. You know. The UPS guy would get to the store at like two pm on Thursday.
Speaker 2: With a truck full. It would be most of.
Speaker 4: A skid or whatever on a big set.
Speaker 2: Like six foot tall four foot by four foot by six foot high wes a thousand pounds.
Speaker 4: On a good set. We would be going deep and we would sometimes we'd pre sold, you know, a couple of the Hot Mythics and I definitely got greedy one or two sets. I think when was it, it was one of those in the car anyway, I can't remember when it was, but we sort of over sold a couple of the Mythics and I was like, sitting down with the boxes. This is Thursday afternoon, and we've got to have everything sorted ready for pickup for Friday morning eleven am. And so we're I'm there busting packs with a couple of the gang and we're like we're not hitting what we need, you know, And I'm like, oh no, And we wound up opening an extra three or four cases of product trying to get and then day one, we're sold out of the hottest mythic rare and meanwhile I'm like, well, we got thirteen of this bulk mythic did you want to add one of those your order and be be like good. So, you know, there's definitely been times where it doesn't work out as well as you want, But yeah, we definitely, we used to definitely. Uh, Thursday night was modern at the Toronto store back in the day, and we would sort of run our modern event and I'd be in the corner of cracking or somebody else would be in the corner of cracking while monitor was going on, and then we'd shoot them up, honor players out and then one or two of the team would stay with me late and we'd stay up till you know, two, three, four in the morning, sorting, organizing, sleeving up the stuff so the boxes ready for folks on Friday morning.
Speaker 2: Did you compizza at least of course drink beer? Yep, good answer.
Speaker 3: When you're opening an extra two or three cases of cards looking for.
Speaker 2: That rare, there's sorting them at the same time. It's fine. So what we used to tart to just dumpster what you don't need and just yeat it out of here. I don't want to see it if it if it's not a freaking' riku or or sorry rafika the many during Alara, like that was the go to. I remember that I wanted to crack if it's not that it's freaking garb area.
Speaker 4: So we did. We used to race just for fun, right, like who can crack a box of fastest? So I hold the company record of cracking a thirty six pack box in two minutes and forty eight seconds cracking and sorting or just cracking the cracking bass sort. So the base sort is the rarities, so you crack the path and then you deal like token land rare three on commons. Yeah yeah, and if there's a fo to put the foil left. This shows you how long it's been since I cracked product. Because I know that's not a booster, but yeah that was. So I can crack and sort of box two minutes and forty eight seconds. Most most people can do like three four minutes. You know, three is a good time. That twelve seconds though, Man, it's like, do you remember you remember playing uh GoldenEye and trying to get the cheat codes unlocked and Golden eye where like some of the levels like two seconds made all the difference. It's like, oh you turned around, you weren't allowed.
Speaker 2: Wow, you're speaking. You're speaking the right language for guys in here, because we've got speed round video gamers like they play hard right, so and so many, so many jokes I could have made about about the boss and the owner cracking the box the fastest and sorting the fastest, and company time and hourly versus selling that one mythic crack six boxes. Like even more jokes now because because you've got machines to do that work. Now you've taught machines how to do.
Speaker 4: This, there are these really cool robots that exist, Yeah, taking the jobs at the Yeah, here's the thing though, machines, machines sorting your uncommons from the new set. These are the jobs that humans don't want, Like who wants to sort another one hundred pounds of commons? You look around the warehouse and like phone, nobody, nobody wants to stay late to sort the commons.
Speaker 6: Oh weirdo.
Speaker 4: Okay, so yeah, now we have humans to do, you know, jobs that are actually important, and we get robots to sort the comments.
Speaker 2: Okay, robot to sort the comments.
Speaker 1: And the robot just hates you guys. Hey, he's just when I get arms and legs, you guys fucked when I.
Speaker 4: Become self looking at solemn similarlachron being like one day you.
Speaker 2: Know, yeah, yeah, does do you I think I know how this works or how it can work. Do you guys have a robot? Do you know? Or do you rent it or lease it out from somebody?
Speaker 4: I don't know what I'm allowed to talk out, and I don't I legitimately can't remember how it works because you know, when when you know, I used to run just the Toronto store. We were never a big enough operation there. You know, most of the hard work of cracking and sorting and that happens at our warehouse in Montreal, and they would just prep everything nice for us in the later years and get us a nice little box all.
Speaker 2: Corner office cushy jobs must be nice couch made out of mythics, yeah, stopped.
Speaker 4: With commons though, and packed like the pillows you know.
Speaker 2: No shredded foils. Yeah yeah, those pillows that you rush brush them one way, they're a picture, you brush them the other way. It's like live, laugh, love or whatever. Magic magic, the common, uncommon, rare. Oh man, we're doing such a good job talking about Instrad. Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I am genuinely pumped for this set.
Speaker 2: I do.
Speaker 4: I know some people remastered whatever. So Instrad just has such a rich flavor to it.
Speaker 2: It does. You can't argue with that.
Speaker 1: I could, I won't.
Speaker 4: I mean it, there's a lot of folks in Austrade was when I think a lot of people came back to magic, either just after Instrad or just before. And Industrad was like really prevalent in the zeitgeist for a while, and like Liliana was sort of she was a plains walker from the first row, you know, the first five, the war and five, but it was sort of like Lilian of the Veil is what most people think of, and that like Sultry, you know, seductress, Waltzon towards them is they're they're sort of what they immediately think of.
Speaker 2: Who did that? Was Arcade posted that one?
Speaker 4: No, it was I'm gonna screw this Steve Argyle, Steve Argyle, Thank you, Steve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brando's looking back. I can go to Brando's going down and looking for her. Is she in this set? I haven't looked at the whole thing yet. There's like an.
Speaker 1: Old border one for sure, i'd imagine that. A.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I believe you. I believe she's one of the best Liliana planes walking one of the best and most competitive planes walkers ever, right in terms of the standard environment and then maybe extended but maybe modern when John was a.
Speaker 4: Thing modern Yeah, and just like just a good character, like a good solid character too. So a lot of people really remember fondly. And I think Double Feature was sort of their their their first shot at sort of a remastered version. I know it's brand one of Brando's favorites.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, Double Feature.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I think this is gonna top even that.
Speaker 1: You know what I love overall shittiness.
Speaker 2: What it's going to be like Golf Score, but edition.
Speaker 3: Not only is it Crimson Vow, not only is at Midnight Hunt, but it's mixed together.
Speaker 1: And they're charging more for it. At least here there's there's.
Speaker 4: Cars that are here's a weird product. It was a weird product. I'll give it to you.
Speaker 1: These ones are strange that there's they're missing lots of stuff.
Speaker 4: In one thing. I'll say for people who are like feeling a little down about it of like, oh, it's just another remastered set. Whatever we've done this before. Go have a look at sort of how things have shaken out longer term with Dominario remastered, obviously, Time Spiral Remax. Yeah, you see, even Rapniker Remastered. Here we are a year later and like, go find a collector booster that laying around.
Speaker 2: Yeah you can because they because they have old border foil shocklands in it, right.
Speaker 4: Like, but here's the thing, even three months ago, those packs were not that desirable, right, you know, like even three months ago, it's like, ah, it's over, you know, Uh, it's just a remastered product. You know, nobody cared that much. And now here we are year out and everyone's saying, who's got a box that?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: None year sold out to Oh so I mean, I think these things are gonna go the way old stuff usually goes of. It's just hard to find long term, and people are gonna be excited about it little by little. It's gonna be a slow burn.
Speaker 2: I really think with the remastered sets, they give you a really good snap shot, or that nostalgia snapshot of this is what it was like when I started playing and Time Spiral is like that for you when you got back into things right. Yeah, time sprou was so good, and Time Spiral was that much better for people who didn't just start playing in two thousand and seven and then quit for a while. But it was better because you got like that whole kind of domin Area feel again. Yeah, and then you got the Dominaria feel with Dominaria Remastered and Ravnucker Remastered. Same thing, because it's a beloved place that we've been to a whole bunch of times. Industrade is all all of those things. But in addition, if you knew nothing about Inustrade, like if you didn't play og Inustrade, you didn't play for the second time we went there, and you picked up a pack of Industrade Remastered and looked at it, you'd say, oh, I get it. This is Jacqueline Hyde, this is Frankenstein, this is Dracula. Yeah, this is the swamp thing, Like it's the classic horror trope that just feels familiar. Like I'll tell you my wife's favorite set, she didn't even play Magic is in Austrata because she's like, man, that set looks like every book I read in elementary school. Yeah, that's just a cool trope. It's just a cool world.
Speaker 4: It's funny because so often we go to a plane and like in Magic, when they're producing, you know, when they made Ravnika, it was just another set. You know, they didn't understand what they had created. Yeah in the moment, you know what I mean. And so like we got to experience this plane, people fell in love with it, and there's guilds and whatever. When they create the same thing, they didn't know how popular it was going to be and how so many folks would fall in love with it. And the reason we go back to a plane a second time is to sort of take a new spin on it, you know, with Eldritch moon and shadows over in a strator. It's like, oh, now there's sort of an Eldridge horror theme to it, and you know, sort of the evolution of that and then okay, now we're evolving again. Where Wills, vampires, Twilight whatever.
Speaker 2: I got something to say about that.
Speaker 4: I think when we continue returning to planes, we start sort of going deeper down the sort of micro niche rabbit holes, like the clue addition of like, okay, now it's Ravnica and we're detectives, like what's going on right now? It gets sort of more and more specific. But then a remastered set, it's like, hey, remember how we did the first time.
Speaker 2: That's why you like Time Spiral remastered so much, because it felt like all of the shitty stuff about Time Spiral that you didn't like gone gone. All the best stuff that was the best for limit and fun all in one box, and desirable reprints, which is a huge thing for Commander players, is all in one box, and it's It's funny you mentioned Twilight that was the go to vampire movie. I want to say this of the innustrad vibe and that trope, the classic horror novel or movie trope that they locked onto with og Instrade, and then the classic horror movie trope that they locked onto with Uh.
Speaker 1: Dustborn, no.
Speaker 2: Crimic, no double feature, double feature, double feature, man double feature, can fuck up?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know that nothing stunted, nothing I know.
Speaker 2: But listen, listen, listen. Okay, you talk about that that over arcing kind of umbrella of the classic horror movie. Think of the first horror movie of all time, Nosferatu.
Speaker 4: Not eighties classic.
Speaker 2: He means like the oldest one ever from nineteen twenty two, right, nos Faradu just remade right and being called one of the best horror movies of all time. It's they take a classic, tried, true, tested thing and say here it is with modern sensibility and modern technology, modern game design principles. Technology will call that. See what we could see what we've done. We've taken all of the things that you love and we've modernized them. Right. It's like when it's like when Ford launched the new Mustang in two thousand and six and everybody lost their fucking mind about it, right like and then like Chevy did it, then Dodge did it. Everybody's doing their classic muscle cars or.
Speaker 1: Coke that new coke, no new coke, and then they not cocaine.
Speaker 2: We are talking about different things.
Speaker 1: No man, I'm not talking about putting drugs in a submarine. Coca Cola was like, we have to make new things because and it didn't go well.
Speaker 4: The immediately went to coke classic, Yeah, classic.
Speaker 2: You know I've been drinking a lot of coke zero lately. That's you know, I've been drinking a lot of lately too. Here, pile of bones, Yeah, me and Rusty trum Jones are gonna drink some tonight. You want to come?
Speaker 1: Well, I thought that he was gonna come with me.
Speaker 2: Well, we're all gonna go to the Coachman licensed beverage room. There's the token mention of the coach every episode. Hey, every episode, Hey, should we should we maybe get Rusty Trump Jones on. Maybe he's got a community story or or something to say about instrade. Maybe he maybe he's got a funny Innstra story. You got, you got, you got some stuff? Okay, all right, Kelly, any parting words before we kick you off? Producer Gary has given me like.
Speaker 1: The same time.
Speaker 4: Okay, So here's what I am gonna say. Love it or hate it in a Stride remastered Uh a Kira Tron set that we're doing next week or whatever, uh eighth or drift go play limited because sometimes you don't have to love a set to love a limited format and do give it a shot. Jump into a draft at your local store, come out to the Face Space tour, play sealed with us or limited uh draft you know uh, because sometimes you can fall in love with a set through it's through how it plays in a forty card format like yeah, so just give it a try. Worst case Ontario, you wind up with a couple of shitty cards you don't care about, and you put them in your commander deckt them in your command of act or you know, you give him the child, give them.
Speaker 2: Uncle Branda child. Yes, yeah, great advice. You know what I didn't really love original Zenda car was supposed to be explored. It's going to be Indiana Jones and it totally was certainly not. But tell me that that isn't one of the best limited formats of all times.
Speaker 1: Even I like drafting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you could draft Blue five Welcome Turns. One time I played against Jesus Rice, But yeah, I had played a Gupede and freakin' uh Vampire Nighthawk, like two of the arguable best cards in a limited format, and all the black and red removal still lost. The freaking blue Flyers that couldn't block.
Speaker 4: Who needs to block when you attack?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, that's it. Well, thanks for being on. Thank you for the the Canadian tour. Of course, we're going to be going to as many of those as we can. And Kelly comes out to Magic cons when he's able, and he's part of the CCO experience and little beknownst to most people in the nation, Uncle Kelly helps us fill up the old onion bag.
Speaker 4: Every once in a while everyone. So if you see me on site, whether it's a tour or a magic con or whatever, just come by and say hi. I usually have a little something to people up with.
Speaker 2: Very cool.
Speaker 4: My business card is worth twenty five prize tickets. Not a lot of people know that, but you can. You can show if I give you a business card, your your your prize ticket rich.
Speaker 3: And then you get the ticket, they give it to the ticket guys, and then you get your business cards back and you never have to print more.
Speaker 2: Hey a genius.
Speaker 4: Sustainability Well, I actually just when people show it, I just I just check it off that they've redeemed because everyone throws out business cards. Who holds on business cards? I was like, I gotta find a way to make my business card mean something. So I'm just bribing people.
Speaker 2: Very good. Well that's the final business lesson of the day.
Speaker 1: I guess bribery, theft and hats hats we did it.
Speaker 2: There you go, We've done. Tell us about your favorite inns stuff in in Astra Remastered Produce ser Gary will go to you and then we can switch guests.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll do that, Okay.
Speaker 3: So the things that I enjoy about this set more than I mean, some other sets, probably is nothing.
Speaker 1: I actively don't like this set very much. And Kelly says, they go and play in.
Speaker 3: Limited formats all those things, and yes, yes, that is that is a thing that you should do, but I will not do because I don't really like limited that much. And they skipped over there's skipped over lots of reprints I think should have been in this set that aren't here. A pair of the Lives is the one that keeps jumping into my brain not here, which is like, why is that not here?
Speaker 1: It's a forty dollars card you could have printed and brought it down to a buck, but you didn't. And no talks thrill as we talked about yesterday.
Speaker 2: On the show. As we talked about.
Speaker 1: They have the melding Angel. She's on the screen here where that makes Brizilla. They didn't do movie posters of them either, which I just think are just big misses. So for me, there's virtually.
Speaker 3: Nothing for me in this set, because I have all these cards in Astrade was one of those sets that came out near the at that time when cards were still cheap ish, you know what I mean, Like you could get rares that people actually wanted for not one hundred thousand dollars. They didn't have a million different printings of stuff. So cards are just attainable because there's only one printing.
Speaker 1: And it's fine.
Speaker 2: Hold on, I have to stop you. I see a problem. Undo that is belcrow. Zip tie and you'll be golden. There we go. Continue.
Speaker 1: We're doing this all right.
Speaker 5: We're putting out fires.
Speaker 1: We're putting out fires as we go along.
Speaker 3: So for me, this isn't a set that I'm going to partake in in any I probably won't interact with it at all.
Speaker 2: Oh, I've unless I got a confession.
Speaker 1: Unless Ryan is going to do something.
Speaker 2: I've signed Uncle Brando up and Rusty Trump Jones up for two head of giant sealed tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Well then I will do that. Okay, I will do that, But past that, this is Rusty Trump Jones. He's our buddy Brad from Vancouver.
Speaker 3: I slept in his house. I went through all of his drawers. I know he's not hiding anything that I'm going to expose here on the show.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And he's a generally fine human being.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Brad is in town from out of town for the face to Face tour stop, and we wanted to have him on the show because we're talking a little bit of round table style. Of course, we were talking Inustrade. We were talking funny stories before the show. We wanted to know if you have any funny stories about Innustrade about gaming. I'm thinking of one maybe that happened at the CEO Experience Calgary with one mac that somebody lost to bet. Yeah, we should talk with that, Okay, give us give us the story.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean we were just sitting around, We're playing some commander and make we got to talk in here, and.
Speaker 2: I forget how it came up.
Speaker 4: We were talking about football and.
Speaker 6: Uh Max from Kansas City and the Chiefs just lost.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, I'll paint the picture. The Chiefs had just got their first loss of the year and they were going to play the I want to say that Panthers, the Carolina Panthers, And that's how it all started. You thought the Chiefs are going to lose again.
Speaker 6: The Panthers were probably the worst seem in the league. Yeah, and uh, Max, like they're gonna fall off the cliff.
Speaker 4: That's it.
Speaker 6: They're gonna lose to the Panthers. And I was like, no way, that's happening, No way, it's not gonna.
Speaker 2: Happen against his own team.
Speaker 6: He was betting against his own team.
Speaker 1: He says, they're going on a bandwagon.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, trains off the tracks.
Speaker 2: He's a twenty twelve Patriots, he's an every season Riders fan.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, yeah.
Speaker 6: So, uh well, let's make a bet he goes one of us has to eat a strick saven Stadium. So I took the Chiefs, he took the Panthers, and he did not win that bet.
Speaker 2: He had no faith. He just said, yeah, you know what, the Chief's probably gonna win. And now he has to eat a card foiler nonfoil.
Speaker 6: We didn't specify, did not specify.
Speaker 3: But I'm sure, okay, now, a card that you probably want to do nonfoil.
Speaker 1: The ink is bad enough, yet that plastical la probably is in your teeth.
Speaker 2: Ninety nine percent made out of cellulose, and then there's an adhesive added to it and they're like pressed together, yeah, and then they're ink.
Speaker 6: I do have a nice foil one I could send to them though. Oh that's so, I mean offers on the table.
Speaker 2: We could Hey, I think I've done an altered art version of one.
Speaker 1: Maybe. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I hope he's watching him, just shaking his head. Why did I take this?
Speaker 6: My god made a huge mistake.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know he don't pick the Panthers even I know that the.
Speaker 6: Brown I was shocked. My jaw hit the floor. And then he was. He went around to the to the like the people playing planko and stuff, and was.
Speaker 1: Like, you guys all see this, we're making this bet.
Speaker 2: Aiden's just like, what is going on? Oh? Yeah, because Aiden's big time sports guy, he knows lots of botimpoints.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it was pretty funny.
Speaker 2: So you brought up the Calgary our situation the table. Tell us a little bit about because I think besides Brando and I think you're the first guest ever to come on who's been to a CEO experience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I guess that makes sense.
Speaker 2: You've been to Vegas once or twice.
Speaker 6: Well, I did Vegas without you guys this year, yes, which was very fun. We're not fun. Yeah, we won't talk about that. And then I went two years ago.
Speaker 2: Two years ago to Vegas.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And you did Calgary with.
Speaker 6: Us a couple of calgaryes of Blast.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and we did a tour weekend sort of. It wasn't an official CEO experience in Vancouver. Yeah, but I stayed with you at your girlfriend's house with your wonderful dogs, and we went out on a walk that neither of us even remember going on. Yeah, watched some oilers games. Brando and Sam stayed at your house proper, and we just made a whole like it kind of felt like a family reunion where we're all staying at different places. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And I mean and.
Speaker 6: Tea coats and Amy and Aaron war Yes. Yeah, it was a good and they were staying up by us, so there was a lot of vehicles moving around and yeah, it felt good. We all went to the water, we went for that walk. Yeah, a bunch of stuff. I spent a lot of time hanging out.
Speaker 2: The after party at the Alibi room you had planned that I host.
Speaker 6: I was hosting that because I was so stressed out about it.
Speaker 5: You booked it like invited people and took down names and numbers, and we secretly procured a box of M twenty one to try and open up brash Tom and Uncle Brando cut what probably could be the best magic the gathering promo ever cut you cut a mean promo.
Speaker 2: Kelly was there and man, it was like probably it was intense and funny and like no misspoken words. And it ended with and then we didn't open.
Speaker 4: But that was that box was hot as hell.
Speaker 1: That was a good box. It was a great box.
Speaker 2: It ended up there was four or five of the Garricks, the textless ones, the textless ones. Yeah, there was a textless one, and then there's one that has like no text on it, no favorite text, not a word on the card. And somebody opened up a foil what was it, a foil Vampire Tutor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and grim Tutor, Oh, grim.
Speaker 2: Tutor, and then foil grim Tutor back to back. Oh man, whole drink so fun. Yeah, that was a really good box. Yeah, and then we just we just cabed home after.
Speaker 6: Had a good time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So thank you for that and thanks for coming on. We we wanted to just put a face to the name because we so often we bring up a Rusty Trump Jones this or do you remember that funny time on sidewalk slam whatever, Right, best nickname in the Nation is what producer Gary says, And we have your deck picked out for Sidewalk Slam Game one season three Brad versus Brando and another guest that will reveal on the show. And another guest will reveal on the show who's tried a few times that ship. I think everybody knows Thomas is going to be on because because he's had three or two or three failed recordings.
Speaker 1: He tries so hard. Now I have a question for Rusty trump Jones because we were talking before we started playing where I took a break from like store play Magic, right before.
Speaker 2: OG and a Strap came out.
Speaker 3: It was right when Modern Extended had been caught, and that's what I like to play, and I just didn't really want to do draft and just life was kind of fiddle faddle, so I stopped.
Speaker 2: Playing around then.
Speaker 1: But Brad also told me that you stopped playing around OG and the Strata as well, and I thought the story was really fun.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I was kind of hoping you would maybe tell it to the people.
Speaker 1: Also, it's a good store, Kelly, tell a funny story.
Speaker 2: Now you with politically correct name, Yeah, yeah, we'll keep it PC. I mean it was a little bit before that.
Speaker 6: But basically what happened is like when I was in school and kind of in my early twenties, I was playing a lot of I wasn't even playing really store magic. I was playing lots of kitchen table magic, playing with my buddies, making just stupid decks, doing stupid crap, just killing time. And it was like magic and legal legends. There's a lot of that going on at the time. And Uh, I finished school, I started working. I ended up doing a bunch of work, like in a camp in kind of the middle of nowhere, and as you do, trying to trying to, you know, get your foot in the door in some bucks. And uh, these guys they found out I was playing magic, and they basically bullied me out of it, and they they freaking called me a bunch of names and hassled me, and they stole my work boots two times two times. Yeah, And I was I was working. Where I was working. The closest place to buy boots is an.
Speaker 1: Hour and a half drive away.
Speaker 2: So if anybody's ever worked up north at a camp, like the thing that you don't steal, because that's the only thing that isn't provided by the employer as a consumable. They stole your hard hat, Get a new one. You still your gloves, stool, get a new one. They stole my jacket. Okay, well you can work inside for this shift, right, but if you steal a guy's work boots, you can't even go to Ye.
Speaker 1: Yeah I could.
Speaker 6: I basically couldn't leave the trailer. I had to like walk out to the van, drive to town and get new boots.
Speaker 1: They stole your boots. You went an hour and a half in a van, bought new boots, came back and they stole those ones too.
Speaker 2: Did you ever ever get these boots?
Speaker 4: Oh? God?
Speaker 6: The dude, the one of the guys, was wearing my boots and he's like, yeah, what are you going to.
Speaker 4: Do about it?
Speaker 2: I was like, go buy.
Speaker 6: Yeah, exactly, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: No.
Speaker 2: Okay, So if there's if there's two morals from our two guests, it's play more Magic at your local game store from our good friend Kelly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And the other one is, uh, I guess don't tell construction workers no, but listen, I uh in your boots, sleep in your boots. Yeah. No, I have a totally different camp experience from from you, and I worked at I don't know how big your camp was, but I stayed in camps that have LIKEU of guys and they saw me watching magic content on my phone one time at supper and asked me if I play and they said, oh, yeah, we play this or that or whatever, and they like invited me to player or or one of the job stewards. Because I worked in labor relations, so I dealt with the union guys lots is. Uh was a huge D and D guy and he's like, wait, you do commander cookout? No, wait, my buddies watch that. And he's like, do you play D and D. We run campaigns like every Wednesday that we get to work, and I'm like cool, yeah, we do voices and we dress up and ship and I'm like wait at camp He's like, oh no.
Speaker 6: No, no, no.
Speaker 2: No no. But man, if you're ever in Calgary, you should come by. And I'm like cool, yeah, yeah, totally opposite.
Speaker 4: I would have loved that.
Speaker 6: Would have changed a lot of things.
Speaker 2: Probably would have played the industra. Oh man, we gotta wrap. Yeah, he thank the business daddies, Thank everybody, and do your final thought of the day. God pressure, don't screw it up, we have a heart out or producer Gary's gonna kick us out forever.
Speaker 3: Okay, I can do this, so thank you very much to the business Daddi's Fusion Gaming online dot com, the resource for all your gaming needs. Special promo code CCAL Holiday save yourself five percent off all the instrat stuff or regular stuff that you're gonna buy anyway. Thanks to Kelly for Face to Face Games, for being here and supporting us and giving us a place to play. Thanks for Brad Rusty trom Jones Jones for rolling in and being on the show and just coming to town and spending some time drinking some beer with us, watching.
Speaker 1: Some hockey with Ryan and stuff. That's a good time. Thanks to Pilo Bones for providing the beer that we will probably drink mostly tomorrow or the day after. It has happened already, because chronologically time is a construct, and we went over that on the pre show.
Speaker 2: I would say this both ah, yes.
Speaker 1: Yes, we are in the nation.
Speaker 3: It's bender a clock, baby, and we're gonna get to that and we'll tell you all about it on the next exciting episode.
Speaker 1: Of Commander cook Out Podcasts
Speaker 2: Mostly sust