Speaker 1: Happy Saint Patrick's Day to you. Happy Monday to you. Hopefully you had a fantastic weekend and we have a jam packed Monday show for you on a historic day at the John M. Huntsman Center here on the campus in the University of Utah. We are preparing for tonight's introductory press conference where Alex Jensen will be officially introduced as a seventeenth head coach in the history of the Utah men's basketball program. So a lot of the show today we'll be focusing on what hopefully is the beginning of a very special time for Utah fans and fans of Utah basketball that have been eager to see this program restored to its rightful.
Speaker 2: Place among the elites in the country.
Speaker 1: So we'll talk about it on the program today. We got a lot to do on a Monday afternoon. A good guest list for you guys. Of course, it is the madness of March. We're flying blind a little bit today to start off the show. I've got no internet access, so bear with me. So it is the IDEs of March, the madness of marches upon us.
Speaker 2: Bring them young. Diversity knows their seed, they know their destination.
Speaker 1: They know their opponent, as does Utah State, and for the fourth time in four years, the Utah women are dancing. They're going to the NCAA Tournament where they will see Indiana in round one and should they advance past Indiana during round one, they will play the defending national champs Don Staley and South Carolina.
Speaker 2: So, of course a lot of college.
Speaker 1: Hoops as it is Saint Patrick's Day, it is March Madness, so we'll get to all the matchups. We'll break them all down, let you know kind of what you can watch for. We have our station NCUBA March Badness Bracket Challenge, as we do every year. Would encourage you to go to ESPN seven hundred sports dot com to register and then play along against us on the station. We have some fun surprise celebrity guests that will be filling out brackets this year as well. You can play against some of our NBA Daily Assist guys like Tim McMahon and Dave mcminnimon and others, and you have a chance to win some cash. So we'll tell you exactly how you're able to do that on the program today. As Alonzo is making miracles happen per usual, we are online, we are ready to go give you some bracket tips. I'm not gonna fill out my brack until Thursday because the tournament doesn't start until Thursday.
Speaker 2: We'll get porters take on that later on the program.
Speaker 1: But college basketball on the show today, we'll do a little Utah Jazz and the NBA. The worst team in the NBA plays its basketball in saalwt Lake City. The Utah Jazz officially have the worst record in the NBA. The Washington Wizard's on a sparkling two game winning streak, and the Jazz are now fifteen and fifty three, high speed ahead to hopefully a little lottery luck, a little lady lottery luck, the likes of which we have never had here in saw Lake City. So the latest on the Jazz, the latest on the landscape of the NBA.
Speaker 2: Is this the year of Rory McElroy.
Speaker 1: On the PGA Tour, Rory McElroy beats JJ Spond in the playoff this morning, actually after it was delayed, to win his second Players Championship. Rory is the fourth golf for all time to have both multiple players titles and multiple major championships. He's the eighth golfer all time to win this tournament multiple times. So little golf on the show today, As most people believe, the Players Championship the fifth Major as it's known, and maybe eventually a major championship of its own, but only time will tell.
Speaker 2: The latest in pro football.
Speaker 1: The Cincinnati Bengals locked in both of their wide receivers Jamar Hase, Jamar Chase, excuse me, t Higgins have both been extended. Now all eyes on Trey Hendrickson. Some local players making some moves last week, namely Cody Barton, namely Zach Wilson. Some other players like Bobby Wagner stay in pat So the latest in the landscape of the offseason in professional football on the program as well. We'll keep you updated on any news that comes our way. The Utah Hockey Club with one of their biggest wins of the season on the road, taking on Vancouver, getting a good three to one win there, and they are right in the mix.
Speaker 2: I hate to be that guy. It's gonna be tough.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure that I'm predicting a playoff opportunity for the Utah Hockey Club, but we'll see.
Speaker 2: They're right there.
Speaker 1: They're in the fight and they are gonna take on Edmonton in Alberta coming up tomorrow. So little hockey of course as well as the playoffs are right around the corner. Jam Pack sports weekend behind us Whereyal saw Lake was able to go down to Houston and get a win, which they rarely do, so may be answering some questions. Houston off to a pretty poor start, but RSL able to get that win over the weekend, So a lot to do on the program today, Great Tommy year, love this time of year.
Speaker 2: High high speed ahead to the Masters.
Speaker 1: We are high speed ahead to the stretch run of the NBA playoffs, but of course the madness of March.
Speaker 2: We'll give you some tips to fill out your brackets.
Speaker 1: Help you out this week on the Program Live today from the John M. Huntsman Center on the campus of the University of Utah.
Speaker 2: In a beautiful March day. It's about sixty.
Speaker 1: Degrees, a little blue, windy, but a little sunshine on a Monday afternoon.
Speaker 2: After a pretty chilly weekend.
Speaker 1: We've got a pretty temperate week ahead. It's March in Utah. You don't like the weather, just go ahead and wait fifteen minutes. But a beautiful day to day to get you through the start of your week.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Our first guest on a Monday afternoon, Josh Furlong, covers the University of Utah for KSL get Josh's take on what hopefully is the beginning of a really fun run for Utah basketball and certainly a historic day as Alex Jensen gets set to be introduced as the seventeenth head coach in Utah men's basketball history. We'll move over to Roxy Bernstein, who called a grip of Big twelve championship games in the tournament. Roxy has been in this building several times calling youth games, so we'll get the landscape of college basketball with Roxy Bernstein. Head coach of the Utah women's basketball program, Gavin Peterson will join us live on site today as the Utah women are in the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in four years as a ninth excuse me as an eight seed taken on the nine seed Indiana, and as I referenced earlier, should they win, they're going to take on Don Stalley in South Carolina, a powerhouse women's basketball program, and then from there, we're a little bit fluid with guests that may stop by that may not stop by, that may join us on the phone, that may not. But right now we have Josh for Long, we have Roxy Bernstein, we have Gavin Peterson. There are a bunch of you alums. They're going to be making their way inside the building. Maybe will convince some of them to stop buy on the program. You never know a little surprise element of the show. On a Monday me Spence checkets all of you the great listeners, Happy Monday.
Speaker 2: I hope you had a great weekend.
Speaker 1: And Porter Larson, who understands without any debate, that the NCAA Tournament begins on Thursday afternoon.
Speaker 2: Hello, Porter, how are you.
Speaker 3: I'm doing well, Spencer, I'm doing very well.
Speaker 2: Well. Don't do it. I know you're considering it. Don't do it. The tournament starts on Thursday, and you know it does.
Speaker 3: Listen, this is your show. You make the rules. Two to six live, no exceptions, every weekday. But the postseason does start tomorrow. I don't know what you want to delineate.
Speaker 1: That's fine, that's fine, that's fine. I don't I don't give a rip. Sure, but the nc Double A Tournament starts on Thursday, when the field of sixty four is set.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, you understand that, right.
Speaker 3: I get what you're saying. But but the two teams that will play, the one will win in advance and the other one will lose and go home.
Speaker 2: It right, feels tournaments? And what do they advance and what do they advance to the.
Speaker 3: Next round, which they call actually the second round of the.
Speaker 2: Turn they advance to the NC double A tournament starts on Thursday. You do this every year.
Speaker 1: You do this every year, and you just you need to understand that you're on an island alone. This is this is your sports equivalent of pineapple on pizza, and pineapple does not belong on pizza unless you're a socialist.
Speaker 2: We've been over this.
Speaker 3: Well, I guess those are are two hills that I am I'm kind of willing to plant my flag on. But hey, to each their own teach night.
Speaker 1: Fair enough, they're fair enough, Porter Larson, producing the program today, back at our Broadway Media studios. All right, our first guest, right out of the gates, Josh Furlong, covers the University of Utah for ksl. But before we get to Josh, courtesy of our good friends at Prize Picks.
Speaker 2: It is time now for your opening tips.
Speaker 4: Welcome to the Drive with Spence Check its on Utah's number one sports talk now into the studios of ESPN seven hundred to set the scene for the show. The opening tip of the Drive is brought to you by Prize Picks. Use the code ESPN seven hundred and run your game with Prize Picks.
Speaker 1: Prize Picks it is the best place to get action on sports in more than thirty states. Obviously, with March Madness upon us, Prize Picks will be percolating. You can use Prize Picks in California, Texas, Georgia, Utah as well. The app is super easy to use. All you have to do is pick more or less on a few player stats for your shot to win up to one thousand times your money. For instance, the Jazz are and the Jazz are in action tonight taking on the Chicago Bulls. So for tonight for the Jazz you could say Lowry market it more or less than nineteen point five points, Nick Lucivic more.
Speaker 2: Or less than nine point five rebounds. It's really easy.
Speaker 1: If you've ever been interested in trying to maybe put little cheddar on sports, you don't have to learn what the spread is with the over under means any of that stuff. So download the Prize Picks app today, use the promo code ESPN seven hundred to check out, and you get fifty bucks when you play your first five dollars bet. You do not even have to win the five dollars bet to get to fifty dollars.
Speaker 2: It is free.
Speaker 1: So, as I say, go get their free money, see if you like it, and go from there. All right, it is a historic day here at the John M. Huntsman Center, as Alex Jensen is said to be introduced as the seventeenth head coach in Utah men's basketball history.
Speaker 2: So stay tuned for that.
Speaker 1: It's gonna get rolling about six o'clock right after we say good night on this program. I'm not exactly sure who's going to speak. Our guy Ryles will mce the event the voice.
Speaker 2: Of the Utes.
Speaker 1: Then a couple of seats in front of the dais where I'm at right now. Send out a couple of pitchers on the Instagram page if you're interested. So my guess is those seats will be filled by Alex Jensen obviously, and Mark Carlin would be my guest, So we'll see if we can can grab any of the guests. They are here today as we are broadcasting up until about six o'clock tonight.
Speaker 2: I've already seen a lot of former youths.
Speaker 1: I imagine we're going to see a lot of those youths from the Heyday era in the nineties, you know, Josh Grant, Jimmy Sota. I'm sure we'll see the Johnson brothers. Hopefully Andre Miller. Will we get an Andre Miller siding? There continues to be rumor swirling that as Alex Jensen approaches the task of filling out his staff, Andre Miller certainly is an option to sit next to him, potentially as the lead assistant. Now, I don't know what Alex's staff is going to look like. I do push back on the narrative that has to be all you guys right. Obviously, Mark Harlan's approach to this decision was a little bit of a far cry from the way he approached the higher that landed him on Craig Smith and I talked about this with Sean a little bit during cross talk. Ultimately, after the book on Alex Jensen has written as the Utah Head coach today will not be remembered the same way that you know. Game will be remembered, and hopefully wins will be remembered, and hopefully tournament runs and appearances will be remembered.
Speaker 2: But I feel like this is a little bit of.
Speaker 1: A shot of adrenaline in the arm of a basketball community that more or less has been dormant for about twenty years if we're honest. Okay, so today feels like that it will be a press conference that is won. And while I don't usually give a rip about any of that, see Nick Sirianni's opening presser as the Eagles head coach, and they just won the Super Bowl. I'm told that a lot of deposits have been put down for season tickets next year. I'm told there's a tremendous amount of excitement within the athletic department. And from my vantage point, whatever part of this ecosystem you exist in, and chances are if you're listening to this show, you're probably a youute fan of some sort. Maybe you're a season ticket older, maybe you're a donor, maybe you're a booster, Maybe you're a current student, maybe you're a former student. Maybe you're just part of the community, whether you played for the school, whether you're in the athletic apartment, whether you're a lum, a current student, or if you just cover the team like I do.
Speaker 2: This seems to be mostly.
Speaker 1: Consistently received as a big win right away, and for a team that hasn't played in front of jam pack crowds consistently for a number of years and a community that for whatever reason has just been disinterested in Utah basketball, it feels like at daylight today is a good step in the right direction. And obviously the hope is as we move forward, Alex is either able to retain some of the talent on the roster or go throughout his business in the transfer portal.
Speaker 2: He's going to have to re recruit some kids that were looking to come here.
Speaker 1: Anyway, Can Alex capitalize on some of the in state talent that is really really good during the next couple of years to motivate them to play basketball for the University of Utah instead of the other myriad of options that they have at their disposal, namely a program right now in Provo and BYU that really has a ticket and has tremendous support from there. I think it's the Royal Blue Collective, where I've been told they have nine seven figure donors ready to step up and pay coaches and pay players, and we're already seeing that mostly with.
Speaker 2: Their basketball program.
Speaker 1: The football program, ironically enough, is apparently not receiving the same support the basketball program is.
Speaker 2: But you know, BYU with the number one recruit in the country.
Speaker 1: Next year in Ajdabantsa, they're an NCAA tournament team as a six seed taking on VCU. They've got a couple of one lottery pick and maybe a first round pick in the Canon Catchings Kid reportedly you're making seven figures. Alex is going to need that same financial support from the Crimson Collective. And I would imagine that every single question Alex had was answered the right way, because he wouldn't have taken the job. As I continue to say, no matter who Mark Carlin was talking to, no matter who his targets were, I guarantee every single one of those targets asked Mark the same line of questions, what's the economic stability of my program right now? What is the financial infrastructure of not the athletic department, of what you have allocated for basketball? We know that this is a football school. We know what coach Win has done for Utah football. We know that basically end of Ron McBride of course into Urban Meyer and then obviously.
Speaker 2: Pac twelve coach.
Speaker 1: This is now a community that latches onto the football program in a way that you just don't on the basketball program for now.
Speaker 2: And that's fine.
Speaker 1: I mean, ultimately, when it comes to the reality of collegiate athletics, if you had your brothers, you want your football program receiving the same amount of commitment, loyalty, and interest that Utah football receives, even coming off the down year.
Speaker 2: But you don't have to be one or the other. I mean, just look at the NCAA Tournament.
Speaker 1: Some of the teams that are high seeds and really good Alabama, Tennessee, Florida.
Speaker 2: I could keep going.
Speaker 1: There are several schools in a country that have robust football and basketball programs, and that should be the goal and obviously is the goal of Mark Harland and his staff here the ethletic department, making sure that basketball receives the same level of commitment, loyalty, interest and passion that the football program does. Now it's going to be on alex and his coaching staff and his players to provide the same type of consistent product and excitement competing for trophies.
Speaker 2: The way the football program has and not just to one off.
Speaker 1: You gotta do it consistently the way Kyle did for a number of different years, and I have confidence he'll continue to starting next year.
Speaker 2: So we're live today. Excuse me, we're live today at the John M. Huntsman Center.
Speaker 1: Still fighting a little bit of what I was fighting last week, but feeling much much better. And let me repeat, if last week was the first time you listened to the show, please give us another chance. I heard a couple of the interviews I did played back, and I sounded like I was dying.
Speaker 2: I wasn't dying. I just had a little throat thing.
Speaker 1: So apologies for the rough week last week, but we are off and running on a Monday afternoon, Live today at the John M. Huntsman Center on the beautiful campus of the University of Utah.
Speaker 3: The field is set for March Madness. Six Seed BYU takes on eleven Seed VCU on Thursday. The Cougars one of seven Big Twelve teams to make the Big Dance. First four play in games tip off tomorrow, and while the Utes won't be involved, they will be playing postseason basketball as they have accepted an invite to the inaugural College Basketball Crown in Las Vegas. Utah tips off against Butler two weeks from today, but first an intro to Alex Jensen, the former youths great pro hooper and longtime NBA assisted with announced as the program's seventeen head coach, and tonight he's officially sworn in. If you can't make it to the Huntsman Center, you can hear it right here at the conclusion of the drive. On the women's side, Utah is going dancing. The eight seed Utes take on nine seed Indiana Friday at eleven thirty. Each of Gavin Peterson and Utah's tournament games will live right here on ESPN seven hundred. Coming off a weekend lost to the Timberwolves, the Jazz are back in action tonight against Chicago. kJ Martin and Jaden Springer remain out for the Jazz while multiple starters are game time decisions. Utah currently last place in the NBA at fifteen and fifty three. They tip off at the Delta Center at seven. Utah Hockey Club picked up a big win last night three one on the road over Vancouver. As the NHL postseason push heats up, Utah now sits just two points behind the Conducks in the wild Card. UHC now heads to Edmonton for a matchup with the Oilers tomorrow at seven on ESPN I Importer Larson and this segment of the Drive it's brought to you by IFA Country Stores. Spring is here, and like any good coach, it's time to put together a game plan for a healthy yard. IFA's four plus lawng Care program is locally blended and formulated for Utah soil. It's the ultimate lawn owner power move. Consult IFA's team of experts at one of eighteen Utah locations or online at IFA dot Coop IFA Country Stores helping to grow the things you love.
Speaker 1: We are live today inside the historic John M. Huntsman Center for a historic day not to be redundant. Alex Jensen said to be introduced tonight about six o'clock Mountain time as the seventeenth head coach in Utah men's basketball history. Our next guest covers the youths for our friends over at Chaos. My guy Josh Furlong on a Monday afternoon. Josh, Happy Monday, buddy.
Speaker 2: How are we doing. I'm well, I'm well. I appreciate the time.
Speaker 1: So we were talking about this to start the show, and it seems to me and obviously I want to get your take here, no matter where you are in the eco system of Utah Athletics, if you are part of the department, if you played for Utah basketball, if you're a donor, if you're season ticket older, if you're a booster, if you're a student, if you're an alum, or if you cover the program like we do.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 1: I haven't heard any pushback on Mark Harlan's decision to bring in this you legend Alex Jensen, who will be introduced tonight, Does it feel the same way to you that this has just kind of been summarily and a consensus that this feels like the right move.
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Absolutely, I mean I think this this feels like there's there's a lot of excitement being brought into the program. A lot of people are are feeling really you know, rejuvenated. But it's funny, as you were saying that, you know, you're mentioning, you know, some of these students the reality is these students weren't even born when Alex Jensen was playing, and.
Speaker 8: That hurts my heart.
Speaker 7: But like it's it's crazy that like just how how success can kind of carry forward, right you can see from these these days whereas it's like, okay, the glory days of Utah basketball, whatever that may be, and I.
Speaker 6: Think anybody wants to kind of relive that.
Speaker 7: And so, you know, if you're a student, you may not know who Alex Jensen is from a player, but you understand, you know why he would be important, and I think that gets you excited. And so even though as a student, you know you may not understand the full ramification of what this could mean, you know, there's there's a lot of opportunity to be able to say, Okay, look, Utah's doing the right thing. You know, obviously we all model that, you know, Alex Jensen just because he's Alex Jenson doesn't mean that he's going to be a successful coach. I think obviously based on what we've seen as an assistant coach in the NBA and kind of the stories that we've heard from the different people that he's interacted with, that he can be a great coach. But at the end of the day, you know, this is going to be one of those things that we have to kind of figure out and see it as it develops. But I think everybody feels really excited about that, and at this point in kind of where we're at, that's what you need, right You need the excitement, you need the money to flow into the program, you need those opportunities to become available because you know, for years ago people were excited about Craig Smith, but it wasn't to that same level, and so you've got to be able to have that money come in. You've got to be able to have that excitement come in and get people doing that. And that starts, honestly tonight by having the people be involved with the introductory press conference.
Speaker 1: So of course, the next question, Josh is where are we at in the process of Alex filling out his staff? And you know, it's funny you bring up the current youth students not even being alive when Alex was playing here and maybe the majority of not even really knowing.
Speaker 2: Who he is.
Speaker 1: And I'm sure these same students don't remember the days where you had like two assistant coaches and maybe one trainer. Well, now they're like eight assistant coaches, strength and conditioning, nutrition.
Speaker 2: And there are a lot of hires to make.
Speaker 1: This is not like grab Andre and one other coach and let's go like this is going to be a staff that will take some time to fill out.
Speaker 9: Excuse me.
Speaker 1: And so I think the narrative that I've heard of least that it should all be utes, you know, all be former uts, are people that are with the program or whatever.
Speaker 2: I'm I'm not fully on board with that. And I'll tell you why.
Speaker 1: Alex has been a professional coach, a coach in the pro ranks for about twenty years or so, and prior to that he was at Saint Louis with Rick and I'm sure over the course of the past two decades, throughout his kind of sojourn and pro basketball, he has cultivated a tremendous amount of relationships that aren't just Andre Miller and Trace Cayton and Britton Johnson, what have you.
Speaker 2: And you know Kevin Young down in Provo.
Speaker 1: His assistant coaches, the majority of them are all ex pro coaches, G League coaches, strength and conditioning coach from the NBA, Nutrition is from the Phoenix Suns. I would like to see Alex mimic that approach. I don't give a rip what people say online. Everybody copies everybody when something works. But what's your take and also what are you hearing about the next steps and filling out this staff next?
Speaker 2: Alex?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean this is going to be a process, right, And I think it'd be disingenuous to say, you know, everybody that's on that staff should just be former years, right, Like I don't. I don't think that's that's what Alex wants. I don't think that the university needs. You know, as you mentioned, the majority of his coaching tenure has been in the NBA, and so there's going to be or maybe there's some international guys that he wants to bring in and try to help that way. You know, there's going to be people that he wants to surround himself with. But to your point, there's so many different avenues for him to be able to kind of fill.
Speaker 8: Out his roster.
Speaker 7: Right, He's going to have at least five assistant coaches, He's got the strength and conditioning staff. You know, you've got a lot of these things that you can put people in. So you know there's going to be some people that he's going to hire on simply for recruiting. There's going to be guys that he hires on simply for the development of roster. There's talent, you know, all these different things that he can kind of fill it in there. So to me, you know, it's it's going to have obviously some NBA flavor to it, especially if he can get the guys that he wants, because that's what he's comfortable with. He hasn't coached in a collegiate realm for more than a decade, and so you're going to surround yourself around those things at work. And it's also a great model because a lot of these kids obviously want to be able to get here. They wanted to be developed by NBA type talent and be able to move forward. And so I think it's a process that works well at the same time recognizing, look, you can still have some of that with let's say like an Andre Miller, Right, Obviously he's the big name that everybody wants, and you know, it's no surprise that he's obviously interested in it and that Utah is very interested in him. My understanding is they want to get this press conference out of the way first, and then all that stuff can kind of fall into place, right whether he's you know, too far down in terms of hiring.
Speaker 6: The assistance.
Speaker 7: To cry so to speak, and continue that momentum, and then you start filling it in with all these other guys maybe Utah fans have never heard of. They're in the NBA circles, they may be in the international circles, recruiting circles. There may be some even from the current roster or the coaching staff that stays. So, you know, I think we're we're gonna start seeing a lot of this news trickle out this week, but I think it's probably gonna start with Andre Miller and then kind of filter from there.
Speaker 1: So while I reset this next question, Josh, we're gonna ask you to just kind of relocate wherever you are. You answer the question and it sounds like you go under water for about five seconds, then you come back up, which happens, So Josh for long as our guest, he covers the Uthes for KSL.
Speaker 2: We're live today at the John M.
Speaker 1: Huntsman Center here on the beautiful campus and the University of Utah in preparation for tonight's announcement that Alex Jensen is the seventeenth head coach in Utah men's basketball history. All right, Josh, before we get over to the women, who are back in the NCAA Tournament for the fourth time in four years, what should our Utah basketball fans know about the inaugural College Basketball Crown.
Speaker 10: Yeah, this one's an interesting one because it's it's new, right, It's it's something that you know, a lot of people want to call it a third tier tournament. But at the same time, I think this is an opportunity for Utah just to continue to keep playing, allow themselves to kind of continue that season. Gabe mats and had talked about, you know, wanting to have that closure. But at the end of the day, this is a tournament that is set up.
Speaker 7: To be able to bring, you know, a lot of the power conferences Power Conference teams together and be able to kind of pit them together to continue the thing. There's been talk about this potentially having nil ramifications in there where these players can make some money, and I think that's why you're seeing some of these teams wanting to.
Speaker 6: Be a participant in this.
Speaker 7: If you can get the players some money, get the university some money and keep playing while still going you know, to Vegas or whatever that may be. This becomes a great opportunity. So look, it's not going to be the NCAA tournament. It's not going to be some glamorous thing, but it could be a decent situation of mediocre teams that do well, so not a bad situation. But you know, I can understand people wanting the season just to end.
Speaker 1: So I would imagine, let's stay in the space for a minute, and I have your piece that you wrote for ksl Up and Coach Eilert made some comments.
Speaker 2: I'm one hundred percent all in. You know, I'm excited about it.
Speaker 1: I know players have to make decisions, but I think it would be special to have another opportunity to battle with these guys. So Coach Eilert all in. He'll finish off his duties as the interim coach. Let me just ask you a follow up, Josh, whether or not you've heard anything since you joined us last You were the first person that brought up the potential of Alex Jensen keeping Coach eilerd around, and you made some good points about his history with the Big Twelve.
Speaker 2: Any up to date info about whether or not that's still a possibility.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think they're still trying to figure that out. I know, you know, between him, David Evans, and low Leath, there's there's a lot of opportunities there and I wouldn't be surprised if if Josh R was on right, I could see him being able to kind of take another step forward and kind of do it he needs to do elsewhere. But I don't think he's out of the running by any means. I do think that there is some potential to be able to keep David Evans and low Leaf, especially for the recruiting advantage advantages AAU circuit, the Utah market, international markets. I think there's some advantages there. So it's still TBD right, like, I don't have any updated information on that in terms of more fixed details, but I do know that there is interest there. I think low Leaf has come on really strong lately and kind of showed what he can get from the AAU circuit and really bring in in the recruiting front, and I think that's an attractive piece for Alex Jensen.
Speaker 1: Jake Quaaleen has entered the transfer portal officially. If anyone else has I've missed that announcement. Any idea if Jake's going to participate in this postseason tournament, Yeah, that was his intent.
Speaker 7: You know, this is an opportunity more for him to just get the leverage that he needs to in the you know, in this offseason where he can still consider Utah but kind of see his value, see his market. But as part of this, he talks about wanting to be able to play in the postseason with this team. He wants to be able to be engaged, he wants to be there with them. You know, I still think there's a huge interest in wanting to stay at Utah. I know there's you know, interest to have him back, But at the same time, you know he's he's just trying to fill it out and do it that way. So I wouldn't be surprised to still see him out there on the court for Utah. You know, there's a lot of guys in a similar position where they're going to want to stay there and try to figure things out. But at the same time, you know, the portals open for Utah, but the whole NCAA transfer portal opens up next week and you're gonna start seeing guys that may want to start getting their names out there, may wanting to start kind of finding a new team if that's what they want to do. So, you know, I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the team enters their name in the portal. But as of right now, you know, I haven't heard anything otherwise to say that this team is they going to stay relatively intact for this tournament.
Speaker 1: One more thing here, and you and I have talked about this, but let's just revisit it, because here we are with Alex being introduced tonight, ezra Ezrasar Kana. You know, guys like me are a little Mike Shrav Jamps and the aforementioned Jake Quaaleen, the players on the roster, some of whom namely Kiana Does who had three double doubles in the final five games after Josh took over for Craig uh and ezra Asar. I think is a guy you'd be interested in any thoughts or inside in you know, inside as to which of these young men might come back to play for Alex.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think there's a good, good possible ability for Keanu. I think he's liked his time here, He's liked a situation that he's in. Obviously, if you know Nil's right and Alex Jensen wants to keep him, I think that it's a good match made in heaven. It's obviously a player with a tremendous upside, and I think, you know, everything works to be able to keep him here.
Speaker 6: In terms of Ezra, I mean that one's gonna be a.
Speaker 7: Little bit tougher. He's obviously going to get a lot more offers. He's going to have people that want him. He's going to be attractive name not that any of these guys won't be, but I think he's going to be the most marketable off of this current team. And quite honestly, he's got family. He's got two kids that live in the East Coast, and so I wouldn't be surprised at all if he, you know, wants to get back there, wants to be able to be closer to home. But at the same time, you know, I do know he likes Utah. I know that this is a place that he's found a connection with. Obviously, it's a place where he's built confidence and really become the player that he is today. So you know, I think Utah will spend some effort to be able to try to get him. But at the same time, you know, I think they're going to be fighting an uphill battle with just so many other programs they're gonna want him as well. So you know, Ezra's definitely a guy you're gonna attract here and want, but he's going to be an attractive name outs where as well.
Speaker 1: So moving over now to Gavin Peterson, who will join the show today. In the Utah women's basketball program, they stumbled down the stretch, losing three of their final five and they barely beat BYU here in Salt Lake.
Speaker 2: But they did make it in We knew that they would, but it is a tough ask.
Speaker 1: So the Lady Eats will be the number eight seed and they're gonna take on Indiana. But should they beat Indiana, there, their prize for showing up is a second round matchup against the host team and that's Don Staley and the defending champs South Carolina.
Speaker 2: So tough one.
Speaker 1: Obviously, Coach Peterson already reference they can only focus on Indiana, they can't look ahead. But what's your take on kind of how this went down and what do you make of the Lady huts chances of doing something fun.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is probably one of the worst draws that they could have gotten. You know, I think being able to get in that difficult eight to nine matchup is not ideal. And Utah hasn't, you know, the last few games done well against teams that are probably even with it, and so I think, you know, there's especially with being able to play a team like Indiana that is very similar to what Utah does, like to shoot the three point ball, that becomes a very tough task, right just to be able to get out of the NC Tournament first round, but then to know that you've got South Carolina on the other end, where you have to do that on their home floor. I mean, that's an incredibly difficult task. Last year, they went into Spokane playing a gun Zach team that had lost in something like three years on their home court. They got lit up by their three point shooters and absolutely came away with the terrible lass. You know, those games are not easy to be able to play, and you're doing it against arguably one of the best teams in the country right now.
Speaker 6: And so you know, this is a tough task.
Speaker 7: You know, I think this is this is one of those things where this Utah team can be good enough to be able to do it. They beat Notre Dame, who was ranked number one at one point this season. But at the same time, this team, you know, for as good as they have been in their three point shooting and their efficiency and everything that way, they often let the other team dictate the tone of the game.
Speaker 6: And if the other team is going to be aggressive.
Speaker 7: And kind of take control, Utah sometimes backs down and doesn't kind of fight back.
Speaker 6: For this team to be able to go a long ways, they have to fight back. They have to be the aggressors. They have to play like.
Speaker 7: They've got nothing to lose, and really they don't. Because this is a difficult path. And so if you can get out of that first round, if you can find a way to beat Indiana, you know, you've got to go into that South Carolina game just willing to do whatever it takes to be able to win. You obviously played South Carolina last year. You know what kind of team they are. You've at least had some scouting on them, but this is a different team. Both teams are. You know, I'm curious to see what they can do. But they have to play like a team that's you know, not ready to lose and just really fight, so really curious to see what they do. But yeah, this is about as difficult as it could be for the Utes.
Speaker 1: It's kind of a circle back around to where we started before I set you this. By the way, the Lady Utes will be playing coming up on the twenty first at eleven thirty am, and you can see it on ESPN two, and of course you can hear it on this radio station, so stay tuned for that, all right, you know, you know you and I've discussed this before, and I talked about a little bit earlier in the show, and I don't fully know all the answers to what I'm about to unpack for you, but I would imagine that just Alex taking this job is a good sign for a few different things, and namely the health of the economics situation regarding the athletic department, and obviously specifically whatever Mark Harland told him they had allocated for the future of basketball. I mean, Alex did not need this job, He didn't need to dig this job. In fact, I was told on a couple of different occasions that Dallas very much wanted him back, and they like him and they didn't want him to leave, and actually made it a little bit more difficult for him to jump than after the initial offer, because they did counter with the ability to get.
Speaker 2: Him back and make sure he was taken care of.
Speaker 1: So just the fact that Josh he said yes and the first choice for Mark Carlin is the choice that ultimately became the reality of who the coaches has to indicate that the questions that we all continue to have about what the state of the collective is must be healthier than some people consider.
Speaker 2: And look, I want to be clear, I don't fully know. I mean this continues to be such a.
Speaker 1: Difficult space to traverse that there's a website that pops up that talks about nil. You check it out and it's not really vetted. There's a report here there from a paper and you're like, what exactly does that mean? And you know, it's easy to look forty five miles down south and see the reports that they're paying aged advance is seven million dollars for five months of basketball or jaeg or demon and Cannon catching seven figures reportedly.
Speaker 2: But what does I guess?
Speaker 1: The way I'll ask it because I've talked to you about whether or not you have inside information or knowledge about what the numbers are and what the data says.
Speaker 2: But what does Alex taking the job, I guess, say.
Speaker 1: To you about the current health of the finances because without that you're dead.
Speaker 2: You've got to have it, and you know that as well as anyone.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, I think this is one of those things where Alex isn't coming into this job just hoping that things are going to be good, right. I think this was a situation where obviously he was their number one target, and that's not like this is just something that fell into everybody's lap and it was like, oh cool, we got Alex. You know, he was out of a job and we're just pulling him in. You know, this was a very difficult process for both sides to be able to get it. But with that being said, there were things that needed to be done or signs need to be made to say, Okay, this is what we're going to do. You know, you could argue some of the situation that they had last year where or last week excuse me, where they were bringing out their college or campus magic plan that they were putting out there for the university. Part of that goes into that, right, you're showing this commitment to the university as a whole that things are going to be better. It's not just you know Alex. Yeah, Alex is a big figure in that, and you know you're going to be a big part of that. But it's this whole emphasis to say, look, you know, we're trying to make this investment into athletics and everything else to be able to make this a better system. And so that can become in an attractive situation for Alex to be able to say, look, they're making the steps necessary. Clearly there were more steps that needed to be made, whether that be donor assurances or different things to be able to say, hey, to compete at this level, we need x amount of dollars. You know, there was an article last week that said to have a top twenty five team you needed.
Speaker 6: About six million dollars.
Speaker 11: Right.
Speaker 7: That's one of those things where if you talking get to that range. They had about two million in IL last year. If you can get about six.
Speaker 6: Million, that shows at least the commitment.
Speaker 7: You know, that number is always going to continue to go up, it's never going to go down.
Speaker 6: But at least if you can make those.
Speaker 7: Assurances to say, hey, here's what we're doing, this is what we're going to be able to help you with. To me, that kind of eases Alex's mind a little bit to say, Look, I don't have to go from the NBA. I can come now because I feel confident about what they're doing. So I'm curious to see if we'll hear any about that tonight, you know, from Mark carln and Taylor randall, those kinds of things. I would assume that they don't get too into the weeds with that, but I would be fascinated to know because if not, as I've said to you before, we're going to be in the same situation in three four years. Again, it doesn't matter who the coach is. If Utah isn't going to invest in that program, it's going to be a similar situation. You can only do so much with so little, So I'm really curious to see what it is. But I do think it's just a good sign of things to come that they've been able to invest in it and that it's attracted Alex the mouse that he wants to be here.
Speaker 1: Expectations are the cause of all problems in sports and in life. Write that down, kid, So Josh, let's set reasonable expectations year one Alex Jensen. And it's impossible to know because we don't even know who's playing for him and won't know for a number of months. But you know, the Big Twelve this year was probably the third best conference in college basketball, if we're honest. I think a lot of people anticipated that it would be battling with the SEC for number one, and maybe it's number two, but ultimately it is going to be a bear every year. If it's not one, it's probably gonna be two. It'll never be below three. With blue bloods left and right. What's a reasonable thing to say about what we all should expect next year during Alex's first season on the sidelines.
Speaker 7: That's a difficult question, I think in basketball because I think the natural, you know, point for everybody is all they have to get to the NCAA tournament, And well, I don't think that that's not possible. I think they're the challenge there of being able to make that the only metric, right to me, you know, Utah finishes the season in about ten to twenty eleventh.
Speaker 6: You know, they're kind of mid to lower mid situation.
Speaker 7: If you can get maybe into that second round by if you can get into you know, the top six, top four of the Big twelve next year, I think that would definitely show progress. You know, and that still means you're probably in the NCAA tournament and you're you're this top team. But I think this team that is closer than many people expect, they just didn't have a lot of the players that could get them kind of over that that edge, that hump, so to speak. And so for me, you know, whether you get into the NCAA tournament or not, I don't know that that's fully what matters, but I think you need to be able to be competitive enough to be able to be at least on the bubble right or at least be in that conversation to say, hey, this is a team that is on the rise. You know, we can see them moving. You know, maybe you're the Saint John's right where Saint John's slowly building with Rick Patino and now they're this number two seed that's the dominant force in.
Speaker 6: The in the tournament. Is he Rick Putino? Probably not.
Speaker 7: But I think, you know, you've got to be able to build those expectations where if you can look back on it and you can say this is the team that is clearly progressing, they're not necessarily taking step back after they win big games, then I think it's it's you know, shows progress. You know, is that an exact figure.
Speaker 6: Of, oh, they have to hit this many wins?
Speaker 8: I don't know.
Speaker 6: Obviously twenty wins would.
Speaker 7: Be a great opportunity, but I don't know that there's any set metrics here. I think it's more of just kind of a general vibe of how this team is going, because the realistic expectation is, you know, they probably won't get the NCAA tournament next year. But if you can at least make that case where you're at least challenging for it late in the season, I think you'll at least get some support from fans and be able to say, Okay, we believe that this is the direction that he's going, and we believe that we can get there, all.
Speaker 2: Right, Josh.
Speaker 1: Final thing, I am sitting in the John M. Huntsman Center, which is a beautiful building rich in history. I went out to the water fountain to get some water, and it looked like a cal urinated in my now gene bottle fifty five years old. Okay, So, like, let's be honest, we all love the Huntsman Center a number of different awesome memories. Every time I walk in here, I'm overwhelmed with memories on a number of different levels. But there are still steps that need to be taken. But what is the josh for a long take on a potential you know, renovation to this historic building.
Speaker 2: What do you think it means for the community.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean it's it's tough to lose, you know, buildings of history, right. I mean, obviously you can point to the Larry Bird you know, magic game. You know, I think that one's a big one. There was NCAA Championships one there. In gymnastics, there's there's phenomenal games that have been played in there just in the recent you know history of basketball and such, and so I think it's tough to be able to lose a venue like that. But the reality is is it's a venue that is aging. It doesn't fit the needs of what Utah wants, you know, and the fact that you need to be able to do more with it kind of shows where they're at, right, They don't have a lot of room to work with to be able to make it a better venue, and so you've kind of got to start from scratch, so to speak, find a situation that works for everybody. So what that means, you know, remains to be seen. I you know, at the end of the day, I think it means, you know, fans need to show up and they need to support it just to be able to show that this. You know, the university can do what they can to support the athletics that are going to be inside that building. So I'm curious to see what happens. Really think that this could be a great opportunity for Utah, but it is unfortunate to see something like that.
Speaker 1: Go, Josh, you are the man. Appreciate the time, have a great week, and we'll get you on soon.
Speaker 6: That was good, man, Appreciate it all right.
Speaker 1: Josh Furlong covers the youths for KSL. You can get him on social media to follow all of his work. If you're a youth fan, he's a must follow at JFURKSSL. That's where you find and brought to you today our friends at IFA Country Stores. Spring is here and like any good coach, it's time to put together a game plan for a healthy yard. IFA's four plus long care program is locally blended and formulated for Utah soils. It's the ultimate lawn owner power move. Consult IFA's team of experts at one of eighteen Utah locations are online at IFA dot coop.
Speaker 2: One thing you'll never be.
Speaker 1: Able to say about me is that I was not committed to a bit and maybe overly committed to bits. But if that's if that's going to be my oh bit, overly committed a bit than me and Larry David are in good company, all right, our next guest.
Speaker 2: That's kind of the theme song at this point.
Speaker 1: And you know why by now, Roxy Bernstein, my friend, Happy Monday, sir, how are you ben?
Speaker 8: You gotta play that instead of the Crows?
Speaker 6: I mean, oh, you know, okay, you.
Speaker 2: Know what, not just saying now, it's fair, it's fair.
Speaker 1: Maybe we just need to retire the rem brands because you do have a beef with Cortney Cox, which makes you one of the most fascinating broadcasters I've ever interviewed.
Speaker 2: And simply just play the music of one of your best friends. I can allow that moving forward. If that's if that's your call, Roxy, I can adjust.
Speaker 5: I can. I can get over it while I'm talking to you.
Speaker 8: Has that I love it?
Speaker 1: I love it all right, my friend. I am sitting here live in the John M. Huntsman Center. Last week we prepare for tonight's introductory press conference, where Alex Jensen will be introduced as the seventeenth head coach in the history of the Utah men's basketball program. So before I get to some the questions, Roxie, I just wonder what you personally make of this hire.
Speaker 5: I like to hire a lot, and look, I didn't necessarily agree with the parting of the ways with Craig Smith, but I understand Mark Harlan's got tough decisions to make and that's why he's in that position. And I'm just offering my thirty thousand foot view of the situation because I do think Craig is a terrific coach. And look, obviously Mark knows more about the situation than I do. And feeling it wasn't working out with Craig and so they turned the page. And I do hear great things about Alex Jensen. I don't know him personally, familiar with his work obviously longtime assistant in the NBA, and I remember when he played there at the University of Utah and as King McClure gave me a little grief on the air when we were doing the Utah game on ESPN at the Big Twelve Tournament. I did flex a little bit and I texted Jason Kidd, who he worked with in Dallas, who I went to college with, as you know, and I just asked him about Alex Jansen and he was very complimentary of Alex and what he's going to bring. He did not want to lose him, but he understands it's a great opportunity for Alex Janzen to go back to his alma mater and take over the program. But the other thing that Jason made sure to point out to me was he's always prepared, He's always on top of it, knows this stuff, on top of being a great human being.
Speaker 8: So by all accounts, this is a home run higher for Utah.
Speaker 1: I wonder Roxy from your vantage point, because I referenced this earlier when I was teasing you as a guest.
Speaker 2: You've called a lot of games in this building.
Speaker 1: You've called a lot of ute games over the years, both in the pack and now by the way that workload during the Big twelve tournament. Nice work, But we'll get there in a moment. You've called a lot of youte games over the years. What do you make of the dormant energy For the most part, the Utah basketball has had to make its way through And look, there have been moments in time. I always want to be fair when I bring this up. I mean, you can go back to jacko Letti with Boga. You can talk boiling NCAA tournament five seed. You can talk Larry Koskovak, Delon Wright and Kyle Kuzma and even Craig had some good wins and it hasn't been entirely flat lined. But I was a student here in the nineties and it has not been like that for a long time. So curious to get your take as a guy that called games over the years in this building and elsewhere for Utah basketball and what you think it will take from Alex and this new iteration of the staff to get this thing ticking like it was when he was a player here.
Speaker 5: Well, first off, you got poles to take into account. Spence, as you know, the level of competition has stepped up to go for the Mountain West. Now it will to the Pac twelve and now to the Big Twelve, which many people think has been the best basketball conference in college basketball the last ten years with the success that schools have had in the commitment that schools have made, and that's the big thing for me is the commitment. And I don't know the particulars of the nil and the resources that it's available for Alex Jensen with the University of Utah has committed to basketball, but that now is what you need to be successful. Now you have to spend wisely and with what you have, because some schools have not spent wisely. When you look at for example, Kansas State and how much money they put out this year and how that didn't work for them and how much money. Look, if you're you want to compete with Duke, Well, you got to have an access to twenty million dollars and I don't think that's going to happen. But you look at what's going on down the road, for example at BYU and the commitment they've made financially because they clearly invested in bringing in guys like Yegor Demon and next year with the Bansa coming in and the money they've committed to that that's, unfortunately, the name of the game in Cole's basketball right now. You're not just selling tradition, you're not just selling an education, You're not just selling playing for a particular coach. There is the money question, which always seems to be I'm not gonna say always, Spence, but the majority of times when a kid is considering university, the first question these days is well, what am I getting? How much am I going to get? And unfortunately that's kind of the way the landscape has gone. And with the University of Utah, I think they have to examine how committed they're going to be in terms of the resources. If they're going to want to push and near the top of the Big twelve, well they're going to have to commit the resources to do it, because that's the name of the game right now.
Speaker 8: Unfortunately.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm glad you brought that up, and I wanted to follow up with this because ultimately, unless you have access to the Utah leg Department financials and your DOCU sign I'm not going to ask you for specifics, but I will ask you just kind of generally speak what sort of questions you think Alex Jensen taking this job answers, because look, like you said about Jason Kidd, I have contacts in Dallas, and I've known Alex for years. He was Quinn Snyder's number one assistant during the Gobaron Mitchell years. And I was in school when Alex was a player, and I know his wife. Like he was valued in Dallas. He did not have to take this job. They wanted him to come back. And Roxy, whether it's Alex Jensen or you resurrect Rick Macjeris, the candidates were all gonna ask Mark Harlan the same thing, which is, what is the status of the finances of this program? What's the financial ecosystem infrastructure of basketball? Before I take this job, I need those questions answered. And I don't know what the specifics of the answers entail. But Roxy, just because he took the job, that has to indicate that this program is receiving some financial support and promises from the athletic Department that maybe people don't fully understand.
Speaker 2: Does that make sense.
Speaker 8: That's a very valid way to look at it.
Speaker 5: Yes, I agree, because Alex Jensen's not going to leave a situation to even though it's his alma mater and his love for the University of Utah, if there isn't a commitment and they have to be more committed, then I think they've been because if you're stepping into a league now where you look around and you know Kansas isn't cutting corners, and I'm not expecting the University of Utah to be Kansas year and year out one of the blue blood programs in college basketball. But if you're going to compete with them, Iowa State has a lot of resources that I know about the t J Alsilberger has at his disposal.
Speaker 8: I guarantee A Baylor has put forth a lot.
Speaker 5: Of revenue and to not just Okay VJ edgecomb this year and the talent that they have, but they have a sparkling new arena which is fabulous that in a practice facility. So the commitment is there from the other schools, and if you're going to be on par with that, you're going to have to be connected to your donor base, to your fan base and know that there is from the top down the urge to win within the department. And I guarantee that Alex Jensen got those answers that he wanted from Mark Harlan and the brain trust at the University of Utah, or.
Speaker 1: He was not going to take this job, really was not anticipating this becoming a potential. But it's interesting he considered Josh Eilert as an option for Alex as an assistant coach. So, as you know, Roxy, after Craig was dismissed, coach Eiler was elevated as the interim And look, it was the same thing when they fired coach lud and Mike Pajakian took over as the play caller, and Mike addressed the media and he's like, hey, it's Andy System.
Speaker 2: There's really nothing I can do.
Speaker 1: And we're like, yeah, I mean, so I wasn't expecting Josh Eiler to coach this team to a Big Twelve championship what have you? But Josh played in the Big Twelve, he coached at West Virginia and knows the Big Twelve. What do you make of the potential of Alex looking at Josh Eiland as one of his assistants because he moved his family here.
Speaker 2: And I'm sorry to continue to bring this up.
Speaker 1: I just think we do such a poor job of acknowledging the human element of situations like this.
Speaker 5: And I talked to Josh about it at the Big Twelve Tournament last Monday, that we were sitting there in preparation for the Utah game in the Big Twelve Tournament against UCF on Tuesday, about what he's been dealing with, and it's not easy. As you alluded to, he moved to Salt Lake City last summer, and he had experience in this role, having been the interim head coach at West Virginia when Bob Huggins was let go, and he'd spent a lot of time in West Virginia working for Huggins and played at Kansas State as he alluded to, so he's got the ties to the conference. I think would be a strong move because Alex Jensen needs somebody that's well versed in the college game and especially in the Big Twelve, the league he's going to be coaching it, and Josh Ireland it would be a great starting point. Doesn't always work out that way, but coaches usually want their own guys, and I'm sure Alex has so many contacts and possibilities for people to be on his staff. But I guarantee he'll give consideration to Josh Eilert and some of the other coaches on the staff.
Speaker 8: And usually you see.
Speaker 5: One guy as a holdover, and it makes sense that Eilert would be the guy, but you never know. But Josh gave up a lot to come to Salt Lake City, and he and Craig Smith went back a long way, even though they never worked together before, but they had a relationship and that's partly what brought Josh Eilerd out to the University of Utah. And I think he's done a good job. And it can't be easy, right you step in a situation. And he told me he was stunned, shocked when Mark Harlan pulled him into his office and told him that the coaching change was going to be made after the loss down in Orlando.
Speaker 8: And then he had to keep that locker room together.
Speaker 5: He could easily fracture and split, especially when you look at Greg's.
Speaker 8: Son is on the team in Brady.
Speaker 5: One of his other sons is the director of operations, and that makes it I think even more challenging. But credit to those kids, credit to the Smith family. They came to work, they showed up. I thought Tommy Lloyd is impassioned postgame press conference down in Ducson. The game after where Eiler took over was incredible to watch and the emotion it was genuine and the respect he had for Craig, and he said, I asked Tommy about it. Also, Tommy said, look, I'm friendly with Craig. I wouldn't call him that. We're not close, but we're friendly. But it's a fraternity. And for Josh Eilert now he is hoping to I think, if not catch on with you, Todd's stay there, but get back into the fraternity somehow, because he's a very accomplished coach.
Speaker 1: Or a question about our basketball team that plays its basketball here in the Huntsman Center.
Speaker 2: Then we got a team about forty miles that we got to talk about.
Speaker 1: But you know, Roxy, I know you don't watch every Utah game, but you called some and you saw a lot, and you pay attention.
Speaker 2: So I'm just gonna run down this list.
Speaker 1: Ezrasar, who had some really bright moments, including a career night against Brigham Young in this building earlier this year. Keanu Dawes, who coach Eyler, played more than Craig did and had three double doubles in his final five games, including a monster game Round.
Speaker 2: One of the Big Twelve tournament. And then there's Miir Little.
Speaker 1: There's also Mike trav Jamps and then Jake Walleen, who did announce that he is officially in the transfer portal. If you're Alex Jensen, those players catching your eye, you want to see what you can do to get some of that talent back in the fold next.
Speaker 6: Year, no question.
Speaker 5: Ezra sar I thought showed a lot this year with his physicality, his toughness, his he's got that old band game spence where look, he's not going to dazzle with his athleticism and is soaring dunks even though he can dunk, but he does so much work below the rim and with his feet and his smarts. He is a fun player to watch and he's kind of a throwback guy. And you pair him with Keanu Dawes, who really emerged and you got to see what he could do. He had that double double and career performance, even though it came in a loss against UCF in Kansas City. Jake Quallen is an interesting guy to me because I think he's got a future and maybe I'm in the minority.
Speaker 8: But I've talked to some.
Speaker 5: NBA people there's something there with Jake Quallen, and there is even though what he played sparingly last year started to come on this year a little bit. He has a bright future and that's another key piece. If you're Alex Jensen, you need some foundational pieces to build around. Those three guys would give you a really good start, and Sharott Jobs is such an interesting matchup because of his size. The only criticism I haves I wish Sharott Jobs shot it better. It's been inconsistent, but he does a lot of really good things. Is in a tough matchup. That's where I think it needs to start for Alex Jensen is re recruiting your own locker room and keeping some of those guys there because those could be good pieces to build around as you move forward and take over this program.
Speaker 2: One more I actually have one more youth thing. Then we'll get over to the BYU side.
Speaker 1: Because I am wondering Roxley, from your vantage point as a vent in this business, what you would say to the fan base about a reasonable expectation. Expectations are the main cause of misery in life and in sports. I'm just dropping life knowledge here on a show on a Monday Roxy. But you know, ultimately, as you outline the Big Twelve, it wasn't the best conference this year, that was the SEC. But if it wasn't three, it was two, and next year it could be one, and year after year it's going to be top two or three. I don't know what's reasonable to expect. It's impossible to know what to expect until we know who these young men are going to play for them. But generally speaking year one, Alex Jensen, Utah Basketball, what's a reasonable level of expectation for the fan base?
Speaker 5: I think you're just looking to see progress right that because your one is here to come in and put his foundation in place, and you want to see that grow in your one. I'm not expecting you taw to be a tournament team right away now, as we know in this day and age with the transfer portal and getting guys on campus that it can happen quickly and it makes it challenging. As you alluded to, you're in the Big twelve, but your one needs to be progressed the team gets better, that the foundation.
Speaker 8: For the future is going to get laid and.
Speaker 5: With what Alex Jensen wants.
Speaker 8: To implement, how he's going to run the program. That's the thing.
Speaker 5: Does he played an exciting style of basketball?
Speaker 8: Is there a connection to the fan base?
Speaker 5: Those are the key things that I think fans want to see that he has committed that there is that likability factor, but also you can identify with him, and there's that connection that outreach from the program to the fan slash donor base.
Speaker 1: All right, let's move over now because we have you know, we have a couple of teams playing some fun postseason basketball, all due respect to the College Basketball Crown where Utah will be.
Speaker 2: So BYU runs off nine of their final ten.
Speaker 1: They ran into a Houston team and roxy, I'll just say this, man, like every time I've watched Houston play this year, I have just felt fundamentally horrible for the other team.
Speaker 2: You know, Utah.
Speaker 1: Utah went into their gym and at one point I think had three buckets and eight turnovers.
Speaker 2: Brigham Young went down there and got undressed earlier.
Speaker 1: So look, obviously Houston is another level and does BYU have that level with that strength, that athleticism. I have questions there, But they get in as a six seed taken on VCU. They were a six seed last year. They played the eight ten Champs last year in Duquane and lost. Ryan otum Our old buddy from Utah State, has a veteran squad with great guard play, and b YU is only a three point five point favor They have not won to turn games in twenty twelve. They have not advanced to the round of thirty two since a guy named for Debt was shooting jumpers in provo. But there's a lot to like about what Kevin's done. There's a lot to like about this depth. There's a lot to like about the way they played down the year. So what do you make of where we find ourselves in the matchup that BYU receives as a result of their season.
Speaker 5: It seems trendy to pick VCU, and when people are looking for upsets in their bracket. The one the fact that nobody's really talking about is playing in Denver, playing in the altitude. That is a significant advantage I think for BYU, when VCU probably hasn't experienced it. Certainly Ryan otam has having spent time up the road, but his players haven't, and that is I think a bit on the second half and at some point. Look, you've seen it over the years, whether it's in Salt Lake City or in Provo, teams seem to hit a wall. Can they push through?
Speaker 8: And that's a big question.
Speaker 5: And I give a big advantage to BYU because of where the game is being played. But this is a BYU team that has improved as the season has gone on. They've gotten better as they've understanded Kevin Young's system, and they're spacing offensively, and they're cutting and their movement.
Speaker 8: You loud to the depth that they have.
Speaker 5: They're too deep at every position, and they'll play eleven guys. I like this matchup for BYU for those reasons. You loud to the experienced guard play that DCU has, and they shoot the three well, but so does BYU and BYU I just I think this is a good matchup for them. I thought last year's was too, to be honest with you, it didn't work out that way, But for a few reasons, I like BYU in this one.
Speaker 1: Seven Big twelve teams make the tournament. I think the Vegas preseason line was nine point five. Would you characterize this as a down year for the Big Twelve?
Speaker 2: Top to bottom.
Speaker 1: I mean, look, there's some elite teams I want to talk about, but seven teams get in.
Speaker 2: Is that a down year for the Big twelve, for the.
Speaker 5: Way it's gone recently? Yes, and also the infusion of the four new teams, especially a team like Arizona coming in, which has had so much success that I thought there'd be more. And frankly, West Virginia got the short end of his day. West Virginia should have been in, especially over North Carolina.
Speaker 8: But that's a whole nother conversation and why that took place.
Speaker 5: But so it should have been eight.
Speaker 8: There's seven.
Speaker 5: I do think that Houston has a real good chance to get.
Speaker 8: To the Final four.
Speaker 5: I would rule out Arizona. I think the East bracket is pretty wide open, and I just I like the way Arizona was playing down the stretch. And look, Tommy Lloyd's teams haven't lived up to the hype in terms of the postseason, and Sean Miller never got to a Final four as well when he was at Arizona. But I think the Wildcats have a chance to get through because of the draw and because of the way they're playing right now. And you could all of a sudden change it right the narrative. If seven is a down year for the Big Twelve this year, but they get two teams to San Antonio in the final four, I.
Speaker 8: Think that changes.
Speaker 5: But at this point right now, you'd have to consider it a little bit of a down year because of the success that the league has had recently.
Speaker 2: So your reference Arizona.
Speaker 1: I will follow up though, just about Houston, and you know, Kelvin Samson had a good team last year. They lost the Jamal sched Kidd prior to the tournament, and you got to have health this time of year. And we'll see what happens with Cooper Flagg. I don't know why they play them on Friday. I think they sit them and let them play Sunday after they just beat up on the winner of the sixteen playing game.
Speaker 2: But if Houston is able to remain.
Speaker 1: Healthy, it's like I said, man, I've watched Houston games this year and I've honestly felt bad for the team they're playing against. You know, like they're that level of physical, that level of tough they can guard. I think they're getting Juwan Roberts back as they sat in the final couple of games in the Big Twelve Tournament. But what has to fall in place for Houston to go win the thing, which I think they.
Speaker 5: Can well health because that was what derailed them last year. If Shed doesn't get hurt last year, to me, I think they have a real chance to win it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: It would have been tough because of how good Yukon was, but I do believe that changed the complete dynamic because he was the quote unquote ahead of his name, right. That's what Shed was for Calvin Sampson last year, and that's what Milos Uzan is this year coming in from Oklahoma. So to get Roberts back. The one thing that I look at this Houston team a little bit differently than last year.
Speaker 8: As good as they are defensively.
Speaker 5: I think they were better last year. This is a better offensive team, spence than it was last year. Look at their three point shooting numbers. Houston shoots the three at about forty percent and that cannot get old. Looked with guys like Emmanuel Sharp and with LJ. Cryer, they can really shoot the ball, and that changes I think the way you have to look at this Houston team and Kelvin Sampson's been closed, right, He's had great teams. Is this the team that breaks through? It could be he just the culture that they have and the buy in factor that everybody accepts the role. And when you sign up to play for Kelvin Sampson, you know what you're in store for. I was there early in the season when they played Butler, and it was a Saturday afternoon game in early December, and they were four and three. They had three losses too and overtime, and the other one was to Auburn.
Speaker 8: Right, they lost to.
Speaker 5: San Diego State, and they lost to Alabama, and they lost to the number one team in the country. And four and three, people were kind of forgetting about them, and they were.
Speaker 8: Fine with that.
Speaker 5: And then all of a sudden, they rip off with nineteen of the next twenty games, and they only lost the rest of the way was an overtime game at home to Texas tack who finishes the two seed in the Big Twelve. This is a real tough team to play against in so many ways. And I think, to me, in my bracket, I've got them going to the National Championship Game. I don't have them winning it, even though I think they very well could. But this is a terrific Houston team that is a real, real difficult opponent to play against.
Speaker 1: I'll ask you about two more teams in one question. Both are on the three line. And you know, the first game I watched this year of Iowa States was against Auburn when they nearly beat him. They lost that game, but that was the only game they lost in their first I think sixteen games. And during that sixteen game stretch, they had to win over Kansas, who was top ten at the time. Mark Cavy was top five at the time, and Baylor was the top twenty five team. And I was at the game when they rolled in a Salt Lake and they just dump trucked Utah. This feels like a team that they're good, is really good, but we haven't seen their good good in a long time. I just said good four times in one question. So give me your thoughts on the ceiling of Iowa State. And then Texas Tech is also on the three line. So what do you think is best case for those two teams.
Speaker 5: Well, the concerning thing for both teams spends his health. Because Keishawn Gilbert is hurt. He's not going to play this weekend for Iowa State. You look at Texas Tech, Darien Williams and Chance McMillan didn't finish the Big Twelve tournaments, so that has to be a concern for both tj Osselberger and Grant McCaslin going into the tournament. I do believe that McMillan and Darien Williams will be good to go. Is everything I hear from Texas Tech, and they're a threat.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 5: I think they have the tough bracket being in the West, but this has the makeup of a team that can get to the Final four because of how this team plays together. They have the player of the year in the Big Twelve and JT.
Speaker 8: Toppin.
Speaker 5: They have good guard play. Christian Anderson, the freshman has a chance to be an NBA player. This is a well coached, defined a team in terms of knowing their roles. And then you look at Iowa State. They're tough to match up up against because most of their parts are interchangeable. But if you take Keishawn Gilbert out, I have some reservations about how far they can go. And I have concerns can Iowa State get out of the first weekend without Gilbert because he does so much for that team, and it changes the roles all of a sudden. Curtis Jones, who is their best scorer but he excels in coming off the bench, now has to start. Everybody has to kind of shift in terms of their roles for Iowa State, and it depletes the bench production and the strength that they have.
Speaker 8: I have concerns.
Speaker 5: I have more concerns about Iowa.
Speaker 8: State than I do about Texas Tech.
Speaker 1: At this point, Roxley, one more question and I'll set you loose, And it's a bit of a non sequitur because I want to ask you real quick.
Speaker 2: We are Hockey Town, USA, with a rich history of about.
Speaker 8: Ten months here pro Hockey Detroit.
Speaker 1: Indeed, I mean, look, they've got their argument. I get it, Okay, I understand it, but ultimately it's moved out west to the Rocky Mountains and Roxy here we are two points back now both the Canucks and the Blues, who have come out as of late and on even numbers as far as games played with both Vancouver actually Saint Louis has one more game, so we're still in the mix.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be tough. I mean, I mean, you look at two points with sixteen seventeen games left.
Speaker 1: And you think, yeah, you can overcome that, but you know, you got to win a regulation, you got to win home. You gotta do some things that the Utah Hockey Club has struggled as a young group. But what do you make where we find ourselves and is there's still a good chance that we could see playoff hockey in hockey.
Speaker 2: Town in USA.
Speaker 5: Here in sal there's a chance, sure, because right now you're the Last time we talked, they were about what six points out. They're just two points back. But there's a logjam of teams right that. You have the Canucks, you have the Blues who are starting to get I think playing some really good hockey. Saint Louis has won a couple in a row and seven of their last ten. Calgary is an interesting team to me in this race because the Flames have two games in hand on Utah and Vancouver and free on Saint Louis. But they have not been playing well recently, and that's that has to be a concern. But you need to capitalize on the schedule, and I think you have to look at it. If you're Andre Tournay and the Utah Hockey Club right now, that every game you have to enter with the mentality is a playoff game that you can't just throw two points away. And it's a challenging run through the next month. It starts in Edmonton demot but then you get home for some games that are winnable and then a tough road trip where you're going to Tampa, Florida. You do have a game in Calgary or at home against Calgary, I should say, but there's some tough games on the schedule, and end the season with Dallas National Saint Louis. That's why you can't afford to slip up and burke points away. That when you have the ability to get two points, you got to get them. And when you have those games against the teams you're fighting with, whether it's Calgary, whether it's Saint Louis, you can't let those become three point games.
Speaker 8: You have to win those in regulation.
Speaker 2: Roxie, you are the man. Always appreciate the time. Thanks. What's your next assignment? What do you got coming up on tap?
Speaker 5: I may have some nit this weekend.
Speaker 8: I'm waiting to find out if not.
Speaker 5: I am actually headed to Fargo next week for NCAA hockey en route to the Frozen Four as the NCAA Hockey Regionals. I'll be in Fargo, North Dakota.
Speaker 2: There you go. Never a dull moment. One of the hardest working men of the business. Thank you, my friend.
Speaker 8: Be well, Okay, you guys spent any time.
Speaker 1: But Roxy Bernstein, our buddy from the Pac twelve network back in the day, had a yeoman's workload for the Big twelve Championship does college hockey. As you heard, he's a busy guy and I always appreciate his time. You can find him on social media, which is just just his name at roxy Bernstein is where you find him.
Speaker 2: All right. We are live today at the John M.
Speaker 1: Huntsman Center on the historic campus of the University of Utah, a building that's gonna get a bit of a facelift coming up a little bit. We are preparing for the introductory press conference of Alex Jensen. He's going to be introduced as the seventeenth heed coach in the history of Utah men's basketball. The panel, the dais, the table, everything's set up looking good. Bill's gonna see it. And two chairs next to Bill. My guess is that's Mark Harlan and probably Alex Jensen since he's being introduced as the head coach.
Speaker 2: And I that's my guest.
Speaker 1: Roxy stops spot today courtesy of friends at Burt Brothers. With thirty years of experience in nearly thirty locations, Burt Brothers ASE certified technicians bring expertise and professionalism to every deal. It's a one stop shop for reliable repairs and maintenance, from tires and alignments to fluids and breaks, offering a full range of.
Speaker 2: Automotive services tailor to meet your needs.
Speaker 1: Now offering value tire options such as Americas and some attires starting at just sixty nine dollars. Stop by a Burt Brothers a tirebuster's location today or schedule an appointment online to experience the trusted service that has made Burt that has made Burt Brothers a Utah favorite for over three decades.
Speaker 2: Burt Brothers doing it better since day one.
Speaker 12: I'm really happy for Aj. He's a great coach. I know that he has a lot of pride in the Utah program. It's going to be fun to watch him build it. You see, the college game has changed a lot. I don't pretend to be an expert on that at all, but all the narratives around college basketball and how the teams are built changed a ton But I think that Alex is a really you know, has a really creative mindset when it comes to how to run a team. He's incredibly smart. He's able to be flexible when things are thrown his way. So I have no doubt that he'll have success. That you talk, it'd be fun to watch him.
Speaker 2: I we're live today from the John M.
Speaker 1: Huntsman Center preparing for tonight's introductory press conference for Alex Jensen, introduced as a seventeenth third coach in Utah men's basketball history. The press conference will get rolling at about six o'clock tonight.
Speaker 2: Bill Riley will be the MC.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure which other ute legends will be in attendance, but the buzz around town certainly is palpable. I think a lot of former utes will be here, certainly Alex, his wife Natalie, and their family here at the Huntsman Center.
Speaker 2: So stay tuned for that coming your way at about six o'clock tonight.
Speaker 1: And that was Will Hardy who spoke about Alex Jensen during a Jazz postgame press conference.
Speaker 2: When I asked the question of the.
Speaker 1: Higher Alex worked for Will for one year, and it's interesting to hear Will talk about Alex in those types of terms because Alex wanted to stay and Will was not interested in that. Beyond one year of Alex's contract, Alex spent nine years as the lead assistant for Quinn Snyder during a very successful period of Utah Jazz basketball, where Alex in large part was credited with the development of Rudy Gobert, who was a gangly, awkward rookie who could barely run up and down the floor and turned into a three time Most excuse me, three time All Star, four time Defensive Player the Year, and as a Hall of Hall of Fame player. Rudy Gobert is going to be in the Hall of Fame, and the bulk of that credit certainly goes to Gobert, but Alex was the coach that worked alongside him quite a bit. So Alex making a name for himself in pro basketball as a player development coach. He was the G League Coach of the Year once upon a time, a league that is really tough coach in because nobody in the G League wants to be in the G League. Players want to be in the NBA coaches want to be in the NBA, executives, broadcasters, you name it, pr folk, they don't want to be in the G League. And Alex was able to coach a team to a G League championship and now spent a number of years in the pros honing his skills, and now he takes over as the Utah men's basketball coach. So Utah basketball season tickets on sale. They've got the QR code here in the Huntsman Centers. They should, so that announcement will come your way at about six o'clock tonight. We're gonna bring in Gavin Peterson today live on site. Gavin is the head coach of the Utah women's basketball program, and for the fourth straight year, the Utah women find themselves in the NCAA Tournament with a first round matchup against Indiana. The uts are an eight seed. They're playing in the region where South Carolina will host. A little bit different on the women's side of things, where you are able to host a region if you're one of.
Speaker 2: The higher seeds.
Speaker 1: South Carolina under Don Staley obviously won the national championship a year ago, so should Utah beat Indiana, they're going to run into a buzz sauce. So we'll see what the Utah women's basketball program can do. But a couple of other tournament thoughts here. So BYU wins nine of their last ten basketball games, they certainly learned what the next level of basketball looks like. Since you and I last spoke, we saw BYU take on Houston in the Big twelve Championship semi final and that game was over before you could make a sandwich. It was fifteen zero, and quite frankly, BYU never even counterpunched. There were a few small runs here there, but outside of kape Cata former ute who had a double double fourteen points, twelve rebounds, and a few moments here there from Dawson.
Speaker 2: Baker, that was a team that looked terrified.
Speaker 1: To play against the physicality, the pressure, the speed, the defensive prowess of the Houston Cougars under Kelvin Sampson.
Speaker 2: And you know, Diegor demon for all of his talent, and there's a lot to like about Yegor. You can see why pro scouts really like him. He is six' nine and all all of.
Speaker 1: It he's a great, passer he's a skilled ball handler and a really good, playmaker doesn't shoot it well from the, outside but he just cowers away from any sort of. Pressure AND byu is going to see that AGAINST. VCU vcu is a good defensive basketball. Team they're one of the top twenty five defensive basketball teams in the. Country they actually lead the country in effective field goal percentage. Defense they're second against, twos and they've got three players in their rotation six to ten or. Taller and they're one of the top teams in the country in offensive rebound. Percentage they're Not, houston And i'm not saying they. Are this is not a bad basketball team THAT byu finds themselves up against During round one of THE Ncaa. Tournament and If yegor demon cannot respond to the pressure that they're going to, see this is gonna have to Be Dollen hall's. Show dallan's tougher Than. Yegor he's not the pro prospect That yegor.
Speaker 2: Is But doallen is a season big twelve point.
Speaker 1: Guard that, is he's gone through the riggers of this conference, before and he does not back away from. Pressure the same thing goes For Trevin, nell who's only a spot up. Shooter he could not play Against. Houston kevin pulled. Him he played nineteen minutes even though he, starts and you, Know richie could never fully get. Going they tried some more downhill drives in the second half as opposed to relying on the, three because the three point shot was not. Fallen they were six of twenty eight from the floor and they only got to the free throw line ten times because they could not beat their man on the point of. Attack kaba was the only player that had the strength and athleticism to look like he belonged Against.
Speaker 2: Houston everybody else was just.
Speaker 1: Lost SO i know SOME byu fans are upset that they only received a six. Seed here's WHAT i would say to. That first of, all y'all are mad about everything all the. Time have you ever been accurately seated college football playoff rolls?
Speaker 2: Around? Oh we should have been. Higher, Okay now you get a six. Seed everybody's.
Speaker 1: Crying, Okay, like look at your non conference. Schedule you played no conference and that is going to come back to bite. You what are they gonna reward you for a win Against queens In? Provo and then the startup conference play was not. Good they finished on. Fire but here's What i'd. Say IF i were A byu, Fan i'd be much more excited about the location.
Speaker 2: Than the.
Speaker 1: Seed so you're a sixth seed in The East, region but your first couple of games will be In. Denver you can get To denver from anywhere In utah in like seven, hours so it's a location where you can travel to and you can go support your. Team, now if you advance on the reason it's The East region is eventually if you do get to The sweet. Sixteen and by the, WAY i think there's a good shot FOR byu to advance to The sweet. Sixteen they get a pretty weak three seed in my opinion In wisconsin if they're able to BEAT. Vcu SO i know you're upset and you feel job because you always do about everything and it's, Exhausting but ULTIMATELY i would be more excited about the fact that you're playing In denver against a good, team but not a great team IN. Vcu now there's gonna be a LITTLE ptsd. HERE byu was the sixth seed last. Year they played THE a ten. Champ last year it Was duquane and they lost that game as the sixth seed against THE a ten. CHAMP vcu just won THE a ten regular season and tournament. Championship and here's the other thing THAT i think if your byu Maybe i'm making something out of nothing.
Speaker 2: Here there are a ton of rumors That Ryan odam is taking That virginia.
Speaker 1: Job he's the head coach OF. Vcu he was the head coach Of Utah. State he's a hell of a coach. Man he's a really really good. Coach but there are already rumors that he has accepted THE uva. Job right and so if that's out, THERE i would imagine you're gonna have a tremendous amount of distractions for the roster in the. Meantime now back to WHAT vcu does well and why this could be. PROBLEMATIC vcu has four in their starting. Lineup three of those seniors are fifth year. Players one of those seniors is a seventh year. Player they have two players that Have elite eight, experience one With, clemson a grad transfer From, clemson and the other is escaping me off the top of my. Head but another grad transfer who plays For Ryan odom that was in The elite eight like a year.
Speaker 2: Ago, okay so they have great guard play and they have great.
Speaker 1: Experience their best player is a Former Utah state aggie Named Max Max Shugla, shoegla excuse, me his Name, shugla and he was THE a Ten player of The. Year he leads them in, points, assists, steals three point field goal, percentage and he is their lead. Guard, okay so they've got a bunch of. Upperclassmen they're well, coached they've got good guard, play and they have experience from players who have made runs in THE ncaa.
Speaker 2: Tournament and they have length and they. Guard.
Speaker 1: Okay LIKE i, said they have three players that are six ten in their. Rotation they've Got Jack, clark who's a grad.
Speaker 2: Transfer six to.
Speaker 1: Ten Christian furman is six to ten as, well and their freshmen set a freshman record for block shots at the. Program he's actually a brit he's From. London And Ryan odham plays all three of these players that are six. Ten so if there's a reason for, excitement if you're A byu, fan the main.
Speaker 2: Reason is if you can get out and play with.
Speaker 1: PACE vcu cannot keep up AND byu wants to get out and play with.
Speaker 2: Pace it's what they've been all year. Long they like to get out and.
Speaker 1: Run one of the THINGS i do like ABOUT byu is they can beat you in a myriad of different. Ways but if they can get out and push the pace a little, bit if by you can get out and push the pace a little, bit and they can force these bigs to get up and down and don't get sucked into a half court, game which is WHAT vcu.
Speaker 2: Wants you to. DO i THINK byu.
Speaker 1: WINS i don't think they have to necessarily make it, threes BUT i do think they're gonna have to rely upon their spacing and their outside shot, because AS i, referenced vs u's bread and butter is getting you in the half court and protecting the rim with their, length and they take away layups and. Dunks they actually dare you to shoot, threes and if YOU'RE, byu you say thank, you because that's what we do. Well the fear is if it's and this is why this tournament is impossible to. PREDICT i will take the opportunity to encourage you to log ONTO espn seven hundred sports dot com to play our bracket. Challenge the problem is if if it's a one, Off, okay if it's just one, game which is what this tournament, is single. Elimination there are a couple of things that always throw monkey wrenches in the plans of teams that are favored to. Win number one is health byu is healthy outside Of Canon, catchings WHO i think has missed five, games and, HONESTLY i don't think he's really germane to their. Success so if he, plays if he, Doesn't if he, plays it's a nice depth. PIECE i, mean we've seen some games From cannon this year where he just catches fire. Randomly he's a pro, prospect But i'm not sure that he's gonna. Play but even if he does or, Doesn't i'm not sure it's jermaine of the. Outcome so number one is, health and every year health can derail the run of one of the.
Speaker 2: Best teams in college.
Speaker 1: Basketball it might derail the run of The Duke Blue, devils who are expecting to Get cooper flag, back but they're also without one of their bigs moving forward because he dislocated his shoulder in THE Acc. Tournament and the other is if you just have a night where you cannot hit the broadside of a, barn if you're an outside shooting, team that's predicated on the, three and your three ball isn't.
Speaker 2: There what do you do?
Speaker 1: Now FOR byu most games this, year if they're not hitting their, three they've been able to bring in The Fus trairi kid off the bench and feed him down, low because he really is a. Beast the problem, IS i Think fus is probably six. Six If i'm, HONEST i think they listed him as six.' eight i'll look that up. REAL quick i think they listed him as six, 's eight maybe even. Six' nine but i've seen the kid a couple, of Different times and i'll say. He's SIX six if i, HAD to guess I Would say foos traiori is. Six to six they list him as. Six to six never, mind my bad they. List, Him accurately okay so what?
Speaker 2: Does?
Speaker 1: That mean Uh if you're trayory and you're going up against bigs that aren't necessarily all that, big and long because of his footwork and his, ability to finish he's been able to stead the tie for them over the course of this year when they're not hitting their threes because he gets.
Speaker 2: Buckets DOWN, Low against vcu he's.
Speaker 1: Got three bigs that are, in the lineup oftentimes together that are.
Speaker 2: All, Six' ten okay so this feels LIKE a.
Speaker 1: Game where byu is Gonna Have to have trevin nell, Knock Down four threes richie. Saunders knocked, down three You know dieg or demon not. Go One For seven Get Dawson baker and dollen, Hall off the bench, mowatt mag you, Know all these guys boscovich who can, Shoot It, from three trey stewart who's an excellent defensive player but has knocked down some.
Speaker 2: THREES over the past, a little bit like.
Speaker 1: Get, those guys, open looks you know make sure you're, knocking DOWN your threes because i don't think you can win a HALF court game against vcu with. Their size AND strength and if byu is able to get THE, win taking on vcu their matchup round two Most likely would be wisconsin. As A three seed and i actually we'll. GET to this LATER i actually think byu matches up really Well. With with with wisconsin wisconsin Has. To get by MONTANA by the time Byu, tips off on thursday they will know If they're Gonna play wisconsin or. Montana in round two, so there You go we'll get we'll get to some Of this coming up, in a little bit we'll kind of preview the bracket with more. Of A macro level gavin peterson's Gonna roll by the utah women for the fourth. Time IN four years our ncaa tournament bound will talk About their matchup with indiana and the potential with A Juggernaut. Matchup against south carolina before, you catch a break let's, Welcome to My guy Doug from farmer And chemist. On, A Monday, afternoon, doug happy monday Sir?
Speaker 11: How?
Speaker 2: Are, you.
Speaker 13: Spence thanks brother Wish you the same monday, feels, Like IT.
Speaker 1: Indeed indeed but I feel good because i, Slept, well last night doug and. That's Because, Of you all right so you guys have been able to Help me Over, at farmer and chemist and we have a Lot of people that I'M sure have, tried i, don't, know ambient benzos whatever it is heavy sleep meds that, can knock you out but your quality lacks and you feel hung. Over the next day how can you Help our Listeners at farmer and chemists to get actually good quality sleep and feel.
Speaker 2: Good, the next day.
Speaker 8: Yeah.
Speaker 13: IT'S an awesome question, i think we're all at least those of us that are a certain age are struggling with the spring forward daylight saving stuff just interrupts. Our natural sleep cycle and we all know that.
Speaker 8: Sleep Is super.
Speaker 13: Important SO farmer and chemist cbd products with A, minor cannabinoid called cbn AND you can HAVE thc or zero thc will help you get to rest easier and if you have to wake, up in the night be able to get. Right back to sleep and the best part, is no, hangover effect no grogginess no worries about not being able to, drive the next day or no worries about doing crazy. Things in The night FARMER and chemist natural cbd products are great for sleep with very.
Speaker 8: Very few side effects.
Speaker 1: The other product that you guys hook ME up with that i keep, it my golf bag is. THE problem solved spelled i think IT'S, sa l v ed which is. This topical cream dog if you run into some sort of physical, pain and it's. WORKED wonders, for me i mean. It is very effective before we, get to the deal let's hear about this assistance you have for our listeners that might.
Speaker 9: Be, IN physical pain.
Speaker 13: Yeah i think we're all. Getting ready to golf If you watch the golf channel and see the GOLFERS, that are using cbd they're using it to reduce inflammation and to calm their nerves just a little bit without any side effects like we were. Talking About with Sleep SO farmer and chemists cbd products problem solved specifically is amazing at relieving inflammation. In joints and muscles and so if you're out and, you're starting to golf the weather is almost good enough, every Across the state and i're starting to get some, of Those sore Muscles AND farmer and chemists cbd sav is outstanding for relieving minor aches and pains and specific areas where.
Speaker 2: You have, Some, issues ALL right.
Speaker 1: Doug before, i say you lose how can our listeners get more information and become? Educated on your products and what's the special offer you have for the people to?
Speaker 2: Get Ahold.
Speaker 13: Of you oh man THE special offer for espn seven hundred listeners is if you Go to our website farmerandchemist dot com or drop in at the Store Seventy Seven nineteen south Main, street in historic midvale then you. Get TWENTY percent off so espn seven hundred is the promo code code or mention that in the store for a twenty percent discount off your entire purchase to help you with sleep.
Speaker 2: And, pain and, inflammation, doug thank you sir. Have, a great, Week okay thank you. Take care all right check them Out Over. At farmer in chemists.
Speaker 1: Really really good people they'll take care of you if you're in physical pain or if you. Need Some help Sleeping, open monday through friday nine, Am to six pm saturday ten, am to Five.
Speaker 2: Pm closed on sundays.
Speaker 4: For the Latest news On, the university of utah keep it locked right here on The home Of the utes and utah's.
Speaker 5: NUMBER one sports talk Espn seven hundred and.
Speaker 2: We're live Today AT.
Speaker 1: The Historic john m huntsman Center on a beautiful monday afternoon here on The campus Of.
Speaker 2: The university of utah we're getting set for.
Speaker 1: The Introductory press conference alex jensen coming up in just, less than two hours will be formally introduced as a seventeenth Head coach of the, Utah men's basketball program so. Stay tuned for that we're Expecting a bunch of ute legends in the house for. The Press or tonight the utah men will NOT be, in the Ncaa tournament but the utah women will for, the fourth Straight time Taking on indiana on friday morning.
Speaker 2: At eleven thirty AM that.
Speaker 1: Is on, espn two you can of course hear the game on our station with The home of the utes and the Head Coach, Of The, utah women gavin peterson good enough to give us Some, Time, on a monday coach?
Speaker 8: How are?
Speaker 9: You good doing great. Thanks for having me and it's all about preparation at.
Speaker 2: This Point, for sure luke combs. You're, a, country.
Speaker 14: Guy huh yes sir When He, came to rice echos me and my family went two, nights in.
Speaker 9: A row very nice and if, There was a third i've probably been there on the.
Speaker 2: THIRD and night, two i love it.
Speaker 1: Got, love it man hey Before, we get to indiana before we get to the, tournament as a whole what's? YOUR experience, been like i mean you took over in circumstances that none of. Us REALLY saw, coming, so i wonder coach what you expected when you took the gig and what you've learned.
Speaker 2: In, the month, SINCE yeah you know, i.
Speaker 14: WAS with YOU guys i think i had forty eight hours notice before we told our team after we played One More, game under lynn roberts and so it kind of, caught me off guard but, AT the same, time, i am humbled honored and just thankful for the opportunity to lead this historically tradition rich program and continuing to build on The legacy that coach, roberts and, myself started you. Know ten seasons, ago so, really fortunate REALLY humbled, and like i said just. Thankful for, The opportunity you know I'D be LYING if i said i had a big. PLAN going into this I was really when i got, named the head, Coach, it was about okay we had to, sure up our recruiting make sure those commitments stayed, true to their, commitments which they did but we had to kind. Of re recruit them and Then We had games friday sunday and Then Off. To the cayman islands so it was kind of a blessing in disguise that, we were STAYING busy so all i could really focus on, was our, current team our.
Speaker 9: Basketball what we had to.
Speaker 14: Do for that opponent and so, THAT really, allowed us i, think as a team, as a coaching staff to really kind of get comfortable in the new normal and just kind of. Pushed ON from there but i really didn't have any, expectations or you know we're going to, have to win this. Win that many games it was, let's do our best continue to build, on what we HAVE and absolutely the ncaa tournament was the destination that we're hoping, for and.
Speaker 2: You know to continue on this team a little bit of what You and.
Speaker 1: Coach rob a, built LIKE you know when i was in school, here in the nineties the expectation was for the men to make the tournament and then to make. Runs in the tournament and what you guys have done on, the women's side now your expectation every year is.
Speaker 6: To, be a.
Speaker 14: Tournament, Team isn't it yes and it's crazy because we've been here, now our, tenth season but yeah it's amazing to. Have those expectations now and, it just you know goes to, show that through recruiting, through the hard work having a vision and then believing in it and. Then recruiting to it if you just, stay of the course, it takes some time but if, you stay the course.
Speaker 9: YOU'LL definitely reach.
Speaker 2: That i want.
Speaker 1: TO stay in that i want to, elaborate because you know you referenced a decade now and it.
Speaker 2: Was a slow build it.
Speaker 1: Was a long game It was Brick By brick and alex jensen is going to be introduced tonight as the next Head coach of the, utah men's basketball program and he is going to be tasked. With a, SIMILAR build and look i don't. KNOW what to expect i don't know what. PLAYERS are coming back i have no idea who's going. To play for him but what would you identify as the key pieces of your build in order to make this the standard and also generate the type of interest that you've generated because the women's game are experiencing attendance numbers that we've never.
Speaker 2: Seen, before on, campus.
Speaker 9: Yeah you know it's a great time to be a women's basketball.
Speaker 14: Player throughout the, country But you know when, lynn and you know myself and, Our Director of operations kendall rodriguez were the only we were the only three.
Speaker 9: At the start of the season that. Are still on staff now It's.
Speaker 14: Just me and, Kendall, but you know lynn, we had our meeting, we had our, vision and you know year one was we wanted. To win, the community year two we wanted to. Win the recruiting battles and then year three we're. Gonna start winning, games and you know, Believe IT or not like i, Thought that first year lind did a tremendous job with her leadership and we were able to win eighteen games we, thought we, might have you know, heading into the season maybe thought. We're gonna win eight so the fact that we were able to, do that early on it was easy to kind of.
Speaker 9: Pull the Community, IN so with alex i think.
Speaker 14: He's already got that he's probably one step ahead of us because he, Has that name recognition, he is an alum he played here during those, great men's basketball days and so the community is always gonna be there and going. TO rally around him i think it's just about now creating a culture and then establishing what, your non negotiables are which we did as, a women's basketball program and then. Just sticking, to that and yes there are gonna be, some ups and downs but it's not. Changing with the, times if adversity hits stick.
Speaker 9: With what you know you got to have a.
Speaker 14: Set Of non negotiables and lynn was always big on we're going to protect our, culture at all costs and we HAVE and that's something i continue to do in terms, of continuing this program and we're gonna, have a. Strong culture great foundation we're gonna have a good bunch of kids that not, only can play basketball, but they're, great people great students and the community is going to be.
Speaker 9: Really proud about them.
Speaker 1: You REFERENCE the process of i think you said re, recruiting the players right because you have a lot of, talent ON your, roster and i wonder and you don't have to get into specifics because what happens behind closed doors. Happen behind closed Doors but when coach rob got this opportunity which you, COULDN'T say, no to i mean you understand why she did, what she did obviously what was that process to ensure some of the top shelf talent on.
Speaker 2: Your roster that they are in the right place if.
Speaker 14: They, just trust, YOU yeah you know i think, in, college basketball men. Women it doesn't matter it really is. ABOUT their relationship Piece i think WITH lynn taking that WNBA Job, WITH the la sparks i truly believe for the first time maybe in those, recruits and their families they saw the.
Speaker 9: Business side OF things so what i HAD to do was i had.
Speaker 14: To rally our staff we had to get kind of everybody back on Board, in terms of okay, this is our vision this, is what we're doing this is what we're going. To continue to do and then we just had to make sure that at the, end of the day our recruits heard from. Us face to face in terms of the relationships. We already have established that's. Not going to change, lynn has moved on and again we. Were happy for her i'm excited to see her leave her mark. In the professional ranks, and for us here it's just, again continuing that legacy continuing building on our culture and our. Success here in basketball AND it was again i had to remind them and just lean back on the relationships that we had built over the couple, years recruiting these, kids and you know they all got to see that side of us again and they felt confident, and comfortable with us and we.
Speaker 9: Just locked them in.
Speaker 1: You're, a HEAD coach now and i don't want to put you in any, sort of a box but if my, memory Serves Me correctly when coach rob, was the head coach you were kind of in, charge. Of the defense right that was, kind, OF your, deal right i mean that was, KIND of, YOUR role i guess i mean maybe that was just, what. We Were told right so i'm wondering how your approach has changed after, moving over one.
Speaker 2: Seat, if at.
Speaker 9: All yeah we we.
Speaker 14: WORKED really well together i mean this was this was the start of Our twelfth season, Together lynn and myself so we.
Speaker 9: Work really well together we still.
Speaker 14: Have a great, Relationship she'll text, me i'll, call her text, her and you know she always, checks IN on me. Which i really appreciate but in terms of now, Sliding over a chair i'm now responsible, for calling our offense having an offensive game, plan and put together WHEREAS in the past i.
Speaker 9: Was just mister suggestion like, it's easy.
Speaker 14: To suggest, harder to you know make a decision with not necessarily having the, result based you know. Factor determining those decisions so that's. Been the hardest, PART and you know i have A Great, staff in ryan larson who We got away from wyoming six, Games Into, the Year Jordan, sullivan and morgan bailey and they do a great job of continuing. To prep our team so they take up or pick up a lot of the slack now on the defensive. Side for our team but it's a lot of, all hands ON deck and now i find myself spending a lot more time offensive game planning and getting our kids in the right position to continue to play the style of, play that you know got our fans and. Everybody excited about you. Tall women is basketball, so like.
Speaker 1: Every team most every, team in college basketball Your season has eb, dennis flowed, and yeah you know more success than, twenty two and eight thirteen and five in conference.
Speaker 2: Is a Fine year here's how. I'll pose the question when, you guys.
Speaker 1: Are flying when you're, running through you know two of your winning streaks there were, more than five games what? Are you doing well and when it, goes the other way what are some things that maybe?
Speaker 2: You lose sight of.
Speaker 14: If, THAT makes sense yeah i think during those, stretches in, the season you know obviously the opponents to. Play A big factor but i do feel, when we are flowing we are. Moving the ball offensively we are not allowing our defensive, success or, you know non success affect our. Offense when that happens those were when we. Had some bad games we're maybe we weren't getting the stops that we were, getting a week earlier maybe because the opponent, is that much better but we allowed the defense and.
Speaker 9: Maybe other teams scoring we were allowing that to.
Speaker 14: Kind of affect our offensive, rhythm AND offensive flow and i think we kind of maybe start to, overthink a little bit play a little.
Speaker 9: Passive on our heels and that's not when, we're kind of average.
Speaker 14: If you ask me but, when, we are, firing running you know, end line in line, and pushing our pace taking shots that are, good shots for us and we're just, playing fearless and confident that's when.
Speaker 1: We're at our best you ran through a good streak before the end of the year where you did, lose three or five, AND to your point i never want to take credit. Away From, An Opponent oklahoma state. WEST virginia good Teams I think the texas tech game is the one that people were a little bit confused about because. YOU'RE a superior team i think you, play them ten times. You probably went nine but any concern, heading into, the tournament you know coming off a stretch in which you lost, Three, YEAR last five yeah.
Speaker 9: I Think You know the west virginia game was that.
Speaker 14: Was an interesting trip it's a, hard place to play and if you take a deep, dive into their numbers like they're.
Speaker 9: Really unbeatable at home so that, Was like a Wow welcome.
Speaker 14: To the big twelve moment for us towards the, end of, the Year You know the oklahoma, state game at home.
Speaker 9: That that, one hurt you know we're leading for the.
Speaker 14: MAJORITY of the game i think we're probably leading close, to thirty five minutes and then they took the lead and we weren't able to get that lead back towards the. End of the game, and, Then You. Know yeah, texas tech you know we looked, ourselves in the, mirror our, coaching STAFF our, players and i think, to BE brutally honest is i think we were playing with a lot of pressure and we were, playing not to lose and you could see it on my, face as a coach you could see it on our. Faces of OUR players and so i, had to remind, MYSELF and you know I told them that i'm going to be. Better in that regard i'm not going, to be you know trying to give that negative type of energy in. A must, win situation, IT'S like, you know i mean we're playing basketball at the. End of the day it's like nothing is.
Speaker 9: A must win game it's you want to win and.
Speaker 14: You're playing to WIN so that's what, i got, to remind you know our Coaching staff myself and looted, and our, players just you know let's.
Speaker 9: Go play to.
Speaker 14: Win let's be fearless we know how to play basketball the right way because we've done it over a.
Speaker 9: Long period of time we have.
Speaker 14: A lot of experience our, senior leadership is phenomenal our upperclassmen.
Speaker 9: Are very good, in what they do and so just relying on that and having fun with the moment.
Speaker 1: And let it fly so your reward, for YOUR season, is like i REFERENCED the fourth straight ncaa. Birth in four Years now, for the untah Women. You're taking on indiana. You're the eighth seed. Indiana's the nine, Seed Their, head coach terry morien has been there, for a decade. Now since twenty fourteen so let's, start with and look we all, watch the live feed so we all saw. THAT you acted excited I don't know that i've ever seen one of those live shots where. Team's, like bummed out no you're. Supposed to act excited you're in and. That's the bottom line. It's a tough region. We'll get to that but what was your reaction when you saw the seed and. You, SAW the matchup yeah i.
Speaker 14: Think it's always refreshing to play a team that you, haven't played before either that is. Part of the excitement and then when we get to, Go To You, know Columbia south carolina, like i've said before like that is the premier destination right.
Speaker 9: Now in women's, basketball they are.
Speaker 14: Basketball women's basketball fans they will be, there For our game and i'm hoping they remember us from a couple of years ago when we Played Them At the mohegan sun and even.
Speaker 9: Though We, don't have alyssa peely we do have a lot of the.
Speaker 14: Same PLAYERS in uniform so i hope that we get a little bit of their support. In that earlier, game and you know and it's going to be a great, ATMOSPHERE and our kids i want. Them to, EMBRACE it and again i, think this senior CLASS they're fourth straight ncaa tournament and they've also won every first round. Game that they've played so it's kind of cool that they're continuing to leave their legacy.
Speaker 9: And leave their, mark and you know our charge.
Speaker 14: Is to CONTINUE this and like i told said to the audience last night at, our selection show, parties like you know we want to host and so we're gonna work hard, in the off season, and so next year, fast forward a year hopefully we're doing this again and.
Speaker 9: Maybe we get.
Speaker 1: Hosts do you like the dynamic of a team hosting juxtaposed to the way? THE men, do it i mean do you have a preference or is it just like, This Is our format so i'm.
Speaker 5: Just.
Speaker 14: Gonna, EMBRACE it yeah well i think with the, growth of women's basketball it's worth them revisiting. It IN due time but i think right now it's a proven method where you're filling the stands and, that's what you, know all the players, all the coaching staffs they want to play in front, of a packed house and so it. Is what it is but also, at the same time now you have one, through sixteen they're hosting but you have seventeen through thirty two that. On any given night it's gotten a lot more competitive, on THE women's, side where, i remember you know twenty four Years Ago It, was yukon tennessee. Stanford, that was it yeah and so now over the years it's kind of. More and more teams now you Can, throw in.
Speaker 9: A texas you CAN.
Speaker 14: Throw In An lsu obviously south carolina your perennial national Champions or your pernial, Final four appearance makers like there are so many really really good Teams and In THE big twelve. Baylor tcu. This YEAR who KNOWS so i think i like the way, it is right, now and you know the continued, growth of women's basketball.
Speaker 9: Then maybe you might be able to do something.
Speaker 1: Along the men's side let me ask YOU about that because i have a brother and he and His, Wife, live in carmel indiana and, they have six Children and they, have fever season, tickets and you know they have their boys who Are Teenage boys.
Speaker 2: Have kaitlin, Clark jerseys you know I'm The little girl.
Speaker 1: Martha may. Loves basketball She's Seven. She loves kaitlan clark, but from my perspective growing up around pro sports and being in this, industry for twenty years it's, one thing to have like A Seminal moment when cheryl miller goes For a million or cheryl, Swoops Is. You know dinah tarassa you have all these moments where these players rise up and you win a gold medal.
Speaker 2: Or what have you this. Feels like it's different it.
Speaker 1: Feels like it's look valuations are different for women's soccer teams. And women's basketball teams they're going for tens. Of millions, of dollars the ratings the numbers. Say what, they, say YOU know. EVERYBODY and i don't i don't know what You Make of. The caitlin clark topic from a, media side of things sometimes it gets a little exhausting because you can tell there are people chiming in on women's basketball that have never watched.
Speaker 2: The second of it but.
Speaker 1: It's pretty undeniable that there is something happening with your sport and this genre that.
Speaker 2: Isn't just a snapshot is that fair to say?
Speaker 14: WHAT you're ye, this i believe, so and you know to take, IT a step Further I, think before Caitlyn Clark you Had sabrina yessa at oregon and, she WAS you know on espn it was the triple double watch and then her senior year that TOURNAMENT, Gets cut short covid SO it was already i think along those lines and that, trajectory of you, know on THE rise and Then I think with caitlyn clark coming in and then just doing what she did on the Basketball court and helping iowa to the stage and that level that that, PROGRAM is, on now, i think you know a lot of, credit GOES to her but i also do feel like there are a lot of great players that, have paid their, dues and you know they were the, ones crawling And Walking and now caitlyn clark and the rest of that generation they get to. Run OFF with it and i think basketball is. In a great place you have a lot of great stories in women's basketball. At The Collegiate, level in Juju Watkins, you got paige beckers you just, Got A you know hannah hidalgo who He Played in the cayman islands like those those players are tremendous and our game is going to be in good hands as they become pros in the next.
Speaker 9: Three to, four, years ALL.
Speaker 1: Right coach before, I Set you loose cavin. Peterson Is Way us the Utah women Take on, indiana on friday. MORNING eleven thirty am ESPN two, for the tv side our station. FOR the radio side i Know, We're, FOCUSED on indiana, Yes i get it that's, all, We care about right We're just focused on indiana because If, you can't beat indiana YOU wouldn't have what i would perceive to. Be A great opportunity and i like the way you articulated this when we, were chatting off air and a great opportunity Would Be facing what.
Speaker 2: Don STALEY has, Built, Like, I.
Speaker 1: Said indiana indiana, INDIANA you're a coach i know, How you people think but how do you get, your, girls to say look We're only focused on indiana and not what the.
Speaker 2: Next, round COULD bring.
Speaker 14: YEAH and i think i think our kids are pretty locked in. To the next opponent it's kind of been, that way all season so it really shocked me if we. Started TO look ahead so i think our coaching staff will do a good job of making sure, we are narrow focused Laser. Focused in on, indiana but you, know to think ahead it would just be an amazing opportunity, for us, to Play You know At South. Carolina against south carolina just that atmosphere is, going to be amazing and it just gives us kind of a glimpse of this is still, Kind of the goal this. IS what you want i Can still remember our stanford game here a, couple of years, ago TEN thousand people and i had a pinch me.
Speaker 9: Moment during that game so.
Speaker 14: There's something we want to continue to build This, Program here at, utah and you know what. Better way to go look at don stay in her program and take a look at like what they, got going on, there and, be like all right let's try To Deliver That, To, salt lake city Utah home of the.
Speaker 1: Utah, youth for sure hey congrats, on a great year. Thanks for Stopping, Buying.
Speaker 2: Good luck friday.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much Good luck only against, Indiana coach All, right gavin not peterson The head. Coach in utah women brought To You, today by Advanced windows which is utah's number. One window, Replacement Company, our guy nate Orchard The Mayor, of sac. Lake city former great you can get up to twenty five hundred dollars off when you buy. Ten Windows Or more, local salt, Lake Company, Good People, nate orchard. Jake weber great families they're here to take care of. You and This Community So call advanced window products at eight oh one eighty five zero ninety One Hundred or visit. Advance windows dot com don't miss out on twenty five hundred dollars off when you buy. Ten windows or more, So Give, our guy nate Orchard The Mayor, of sac lake city a call today at eighth.
Speaker 2: One eight five. Zero ninety one hundred.
Speaker 1: You won't regret, it advanced window products building and stalling and guaranteeing The.
Speaker 2: Best windows in.
Speaker 1: Utah breaking news the seventy six Ers Are shutting down paul george for the.
Speaker 2: REST of the season nba basketball where a court of. The teams aren't serious we're Live TODAY.
Speaker 1: At The john m huntsman's center in preparation, for the historic Day The, introduction of alex jensen the seventeenth Head coach of the. Utah men's basketball program our next guest is well qualified to. Talk about the hire he worked With Him at the jazz smithy also knows the Bio arrhythms Of. The University of utah Richard Smith, On A, monday, afternoonsmity happy monday sir?
Speaker 9: How are you.
Speaker 11: STANCE we're doing good i appreciate. You having me on it's fun to BE able to be i with you on a day when one of my good friends is getting introduced as the Head coach Of. The university of utah it's a, great day for him but even better day. Probably for the university so.
Speaker 2: Let's.
Speaker 1: Dig INTO it, smidia as i referenced you spent a number Of Years with the utah, jazz FORTY in total and i. Believe nine of those you Were A, coworker with alex jensen who was The Lead, assistant under Quinn snyder and then alex Spent One year with will hardy Before. Heading down to dallas what do? We need to know what Should We, know about alex jensen the coach and the person as somebody who. Worked closely with him what would you say to our community about the what they should know about.
Speaker 11: Their, new head coach, Well first Of all i've known alex ever since he was a a Player after, you for rick mcjerris and of course then he went to played overseas for, a number of years and then when he came back, and got into coaching he actually was working With Coach Mcjerifs at saint louis, university and then uh and then ended UP Going to the g league AND BEING An Nba u g League coach of the year, while he was there before He, got to the, jazz and he's uh he's not only got, a great basketball resume but he's got all, of obviously his roots uh you know here In. The state, of utah He's Uh He's a, Centerville guy Beumont grad, university of utah grad all. The all whack Player he's just a. He's a solid guy he's. A solid basketball guy he's a guy who's going to get into the homes of a lot of, a lot of recruits especially in the western region Of The. Of THE united states and i think that's probably one of the Main things That the university of utah needs right now is someone, who is you know as YOU'RE looking at what buyu has been able to do the last Couple Of years with mark Pope And now with kevin young, in their recruiting base and with all of this, nil stuff, going on you know one of The things That the university of utah probably has fallen behind on is just the ability to recruit the plays they need to compete in A Conference like the big twelve and and and hopefully for them be able to get themselves back in the national. Stage AT some Point And i think alex jensen has all the credentials and all the back background to be able to be. Able. To do that uh AND that's been the i think the big CRUX of what the us issues have been for the men's basketball. Program in recent years so a lot, Of.
Speaker 1: GOOD stuff there smidia i wonder how you would characterize because we've been talking about reasonable Expectations, right away for alex and this is a question as We Sit Here. On saint patrick's day it's difficult to fully answer because there are a number of months before the start of next year and we have no idea Who's. Gonna play for alex we don't know how many of these young men that are on the roster. Now will come back we don't know who's, gonna, bring in transferport. Recruiting what have you, but from your perspective as somebody has been around this game, for decades and decades what would you say to the community about what a reasonable expectation Is year one.
Speaker 2: As, alex's head coach.
Speaker 11: Well you'll you'll see a team that's going to be steeped. In in the fundamentals That's what that's a he grew up on. Playing. For coach mcjerris uh and then, when he you know, in his coaching career when HE Was, in the g league he WAS Not Only the g League, coach of the year but he also they had the best DEFENSIVE Team. In the g league and so you combine that within His His work with Quinn snyder and the jazz and then When They had. The, mitchell golbayer, teams uh you know those team has really gone after they were top five defensive teams for. A number of years and so you're going to see a team, that that works hard team that has all the. Defensive fundamentals in place the thing that they're, going to, have to you know solve is the. Issue of getting talent and that's. Really What, it is, craig smith you know. Is a, terrific coach you know he had he had hard working teams to you and. His four years there he obviously showed before that his ability to be able To Win games at utah state and the previous, schools he was at he just, didn't, have the, horses uh you know to, be able, to compete you know at the big twelfth level at the way that.
Speaker 5: They.
Speaker 11: Wanted him To uh that's what alex's biggest deal is going to have to be is to surround himself with a, group of, people coaches nil people the people on your staff that can help you to get the players that you need to. Be able to compete the, coaching will be there the basketball. Component will be present they're just going to have to be able to get the players they need to have the talent and the skill level to be able to play, and be, able to you know to. Win at that level once they get, the personnel in place then you'll be able to see a team that's making progress and a team that's going to have the chance to have.
Speaker 1: A lot of success, From, Your vantage point smindy i've been talking about this, today with our guests and you know a lot of People There, at the huntsman center whatever part of the ecosystem you kind of Exist in With, the university of utah if, you're a former player, if you're an alum if, you're a current student if, you are a booster if you're, a season ticket holder or if you, just go to games or if you cover games like we do, on the media side it feels like this has Been A decision for mark harland that has, been, wildly you know, widely.
Speaker 2: I should say and consistently applauded. As the right move does it feel?
Speaker 1: THAT way, to you i mean this is a basketball community that's badly in need of some sort, of shot of life and it kind Of Feels like the alex jensen news has been a little bit of that shot that.
Speaker 2: Maybe, this, COMMUNITY needs.
Speaker 11: Yeah well i again he's a guy that everybody. In the community knows they. Know of his background he's not a, guy who's, coming in you know from the outside who's trying to ingratiate himself with the fan base or or get people to. Know who He. Is everybody knows alex, he's a. Homegrown guy you know but, at the same time sometimes, those things, also come you know with their own set, of circumstances that, you as the individual. You'll have, to overcome you know people, know what he's about they know what, kind of a coach what kind, of personality he has they know how, he's approached, his career, you know all along and so there's not a getting to know you period with. Him in that regard what it's going to take is The patience of the utah fan base to understand that you don't. Just do this overnight you have. To HAVE the Players and i know i'm being, redundant and saying that but that's that's the one issue that the you has had is being able to get those. Guys at that level you see all the excitement That's Been. Created in, provo uh you know with the recruiting that, The Players they had mark polpe did a terrific job parlaid, that into you know even a bigger time job at A. Blue blood Like Kentucky they got kevin young TO. Come From the nba kevin young has installed his, own offense down there in his own program in the in the eyes of RUNNING it like. An nba, Type program you know alex is going to have, to compete with that and in, order to do that he's going to Be able to have he's going to have the opportunity to get the kind of players who can come. IN and, do that I mean b y u doesn't just go out and get the number one so called rated recruit out of High, School who's from boston massachusetts and have them Happen, To Come to provo utah like. That doesn't just happen that's something that's embedded in how they're approaching.
Speaker 8: The job that.
Speaker 11: They're doing Down there he and alex and his staff at the you is going to have to look at it with that kind of mindset to be able to figure out how they can go about creating that kind of excitement in their program to want to have players around the country who Want to look at utah and want to come and be part of the history And the fabric that utah basketball has been for so. Long in this community let.
Speaker 1: Me Ask You maybe and richard smith is with us Forty years with. The jazz front office nine of those Years Spent. Working with alex jensen a lot Of conversation about what alex's staff is. Going To look like and i'm old Enough To remember when jerry sloan had Two Assistant Coaches And don magic finger sparks WAS the trainer and tc and away we.
Speaker 2: Go and we're good.
Speaker 1: That's, all we need well now there is a traveling party where the coaches take up an entire. Wing of the plane it's a. Different Day and age, and I'VE said before and i have. NO problem saying THIS i know that yout fans might get in their feelings about whether or not They should copy.
Speaker 2: What, BYU has done well.
Speaker 1: I Think they should and kevin's staff IS comprised OF Former nba and g league, Coaches on the bench IT'S comprised of former.
Speaker 2: Nba people in their.
Speaker 1: Strength and conditioning office it's comprised of A nutritionist that Followed Kevin. From the phoenix suns and there are a Lot Of, conversations about andre MILLER Who's coaching the. G league right now there's some other, their names out There, but generally speakings mandy what sort of staff would You like to see alex around himself with to give him the best chance to.
Speaker 2: Make, this thing right.
Speaker 11: Well he's gonna he's gonna be able to get the kind of people he wants to be able to work with him and have the same mindset in the same. Vision that he has the really thing that the thing, it Boils down to uh spence is as, simplistic as it sounds and much TO my cagrin because i, don't like saying this but you have to in this day and, age in college basketball you have to have the financial BACKING in your ni l and your your your approach to be able to to get players. From a financial standpoint that's just the reality of. WHAT it is now i don't think it's that's going to, be sustainable myself personally, AS a side note i think that's going to have to change at some point. IN the near future i don't think college basketball can and keep. Going down that road but, at the current time that's what the lay. Of the land is so if you don't have the money and you don't have the resources to be, able to attract kids because that's how kids, are coming up now whether we. Like it or not the, kids who are sophomores juniors going into the senior year, of high school now they're looking, at programs and saying how can that program benefit? Me as an individual can it help me with my skill set and my talent get to, a possible next level which. Would be playing Professionally and also, while i'm doing that what are they going to do for me personally in? Terms of financial rewards and so that's just. The reality of it AND so unless the u has that platform to operate from and then they have a staff that shows that they can, help you to progress they can help you to prove your ability to be able to continue playing and and maybe get a career. Out, of this sport uh then you're gonna. Have a hard time you're gonna. Be always swimming upstream and that's that's what the that's what he's going to. Be DEALING with now, so I would assume and. I don't KNOW this alex and i have texted back and forth since, you got the job but. We haven't, talked, personally but he's Uh he's gonna have i'm sure, he took the job uh With the knowledge that i'm going to have those kinds that kind of support and those kinds of resources to help me to get on that that kind, of a playing field and then from there, we can, take it you know to where we need to in terms. Of the basketball stuff but, that but the recruiting getting eyes on your program and getting interest in your program from from players like that and from players, in the transfer. Portal all that stuff you're gonna have to track them by the money that you have available and also the staff that you have around you to help those individuals feel like they can come and improve and get themselves, into a, better situation you know in. Their lives going forward that's what he's going to have to be dealing with coming up.
Speaker 1: IN the near future i know you actually just Kind of answered what i'm about, to ASK you again but i do want to ELABORATE on it Because i feel like Alex taking the job smithy is an indicator that things, are good financially economically and the, state of you, know the Athletic Department and what mark carlin And whoever else promised alex that they would.
Speaker 2: Allocate towards his success do you read?
Speaker 1: It The same way because i've been told by more than A few People that dallas liked Alex and they, wanted Alex to Stay and alex and Natalie. Enjoyed, LIVING in dallas like i don't think this was a desperation job grab from a guy who had a that he. Liked an awful lot so the fact that he simply, just took the job doesn't that indicate to you that the promises that were, made are you know in place as far as the economic viability of, where, THIS program is.
Speaker 11: Well, I would think so i would think he wouldn't go into a job where he thought that it's going to be really an uphill climb for him and that he's going to, have a, hard time you know getting to any kind of. A level of success so so that would that would seem, to be you know part and parcel with with the decision to take The offer That the university. OF utae gave him i, do think, that that you know the rich history of. The of, the program you know he's going to have to have people who have some kind of a profile around him or present that to perspective recruits in a way that they feel like that's enticing and. That's EXCITING for them and i would not be surprised if he Was Leaning on the rick majerry, years in some way whether, that's bringing back players former players who are in the Business You, mentioned an andre miller, guys who, can get you know high school kids to at least look at the program and sit down and talk to them, that kind of thing but also setting up a program where where, kids feel, like again you Know whether you know utah fans want to, ADMIT it or not byu has gotten ahead of the curve on setting up what they have and so, they've attracted and look there's kids who are going to look at, that, program and say hey they can help me a lot by by how they've got it set up and how they're approaching their program and their skill development work and all. Those kinds of things but you also have to play into the factor that these kids are also designed to, go to a school you know that's a church related school that's. In a small town It's, a college town, provo and you know sometimes that works for you and sometimes. That, works Against you Now the university of utah is, in a bigger city, it's a public school it's, got fifteen thousand seats it's got a historic venue, That they play in they've, got a, rich Tradition, YOU know alex is i would think it is going to look to lean on all of those kinds of things that he, can sell to recruits and the fact that they're right down the STREET literally, from an nba, team and, that recruits you know should be looking at that as an opportunity to come play in a setting where they can get not only the personal and career development that they, might be looking for but also be able to make connections and do the things that you do within a program to try and help you as an individual for when you're. Playing days ARE over and so i would think that those are some of the main things that he'll be leaning on to try and sell as he tries to figure out how to go about the RECRUITING.
Speaker 1: Game on the, Byu SIDE of, things and i agree you can GET salty that maybe byu was ahead of the, curve on this.
Speaker 2: Stuff, but it doesn't look it. DOESN'T matter.
Speaker 1: What level i mean for years, And years and years i've heard front offices openly talk about copycat formulas to try to figure out what one team, is doing really well how can we.
Speaker 2: Get some of THAT so complain.
Speaker 1: About byu figuring it, Out all you want but they seem to be ahead of the curve with a, couple of different things and, as you, articulated earlier very well it's been a good run for them and doesn't look like.
Speaker 9: It's.
Speaker 1: ENDING anytime soon NOW i know some byu fans were upset with the sixth seed, because if you know if it's a day THAT ends with why byu fans, are upset about SOMETHING whether it's the cfp rankings. OR their sixth seed i think you embrace the seed personally because of the location as opposed to being A five seed. Out east Or, something they're in denver BUT they, get a vcu Team Smitty, coach by ryan odam. That has veteran guys they have four seniors. In their starting lineup three of those seniors, are fifth year guys one of them is. A seventh year guy they have two players two transfers on their roster that, have experienced elite EIGHTS they have the a ten. Player of the Year They played the utah state. Who's a good guard they've got good guard play three players six.' TEN in the rotation like byu is a, three, point five point favorite right and so this, is not an easy Matchup but at least IT'S denver and the. Location i think is good even maybe the SEED not you know what. Byu fans were hoping for but what do you Make of this matchup that kevin's up AGAINST first round and, is byu, built maybe advance you know for the first time, since, THE jimmer fordet years right i mean that's the last time they advanced out of.
Speaker 2: The, round of thirty two.
Speaker 11: Well this THIS is. A tough match i think i think this is one of the tougher matchups in the WHOLE first. Round of the ncaa tournament, and then and you fans Fans in the state OF utah general, don't follow bcu very much, and that's to be expected but let me tell you they. Are a very good team anybody who Was Paying attention to when Ryan Odam was up in utah state and the teams that they had there the couple. Of years he was, there they're very. Well coached they're very disciplined. He's got a veteran group. They are very, good team, and you know for me the whole game is going, to hinge like it did Like we saw in the. Big TWELVE, tournament last week for byu they had one night where they hit eighteen threes, and they looked really good and then the next night they were into a buzz saw defensively in one of the best teams in, the Country, in my opinion in houston and they couldn't get those same looks and they couldn't they, couldn't get the same rhythm they, couldn't get the same feel and you. Saw what happened to them and so that Game for me is going thursday is going TO boil down to whether byu can create the looks that they want and have them in some kind of a rhythm where. They feel comfortable taking them and they're going to, have to, make you know twelve thirteen fourteen threes to be, able to win that, game because if they don't THEY'RE going to struggle because VCU is really good and vcu is. Going to COME after them and if byu thinks, that just, the seating thing you know should get them by into. A next round. Or something they're fooling themselves they're going to have to come ready to go and really. Really have To grind out in the houston game may. Be a help to them they may look, at that and you know be coming back with their, tail, between their legs saying, well they really showed us you know what we need to do to get better. And get better at hurry otherwise it's going to be a VERY short. Appearance in the ncaa, terms that's going to be for me one, of the more INTERESTING games, not just, because i have you know a rooting, interest for the local team but it's going to be a very good contest between. Two VERY well coached teams and, I want to.
Speaker 2: BE clear I'm, not saying vcu is.
Speaker 1: Houston Not even Kind of when, I've watched houston this year i've found myself feeling sympathy.
Speaker 2: FOR who, they're playing against i mean that's their brand.
Speaker 1: Of PHYSICALITY and defensive intensity but vcu plays, with a similar defensive intensity and they don't extend the pressure full Court oftentimes the way.
Speaker 2: That Houston, tends to do but sabidi.
Speaker 1: One of the many things one of the hats You Wore over at the utah jazz is you, Did A lot of scouting and i can see Why. Pro scouts like yegor demon it's obvious because of. His measurables and his vision his ball HANDLING ability is. Passing like i get it, but more often Than Not it was The iowa state game And ames and, then the houston Game Recently two Examples of Kevin Yong, pulling demon for dallan hall.
Speaker 2: Who's simply a tougher player he's.
Speaker 1: Just not afraid of pressure he doesn't cowtail To physicality the.
Speaker 2: Way that demon seems to and he's a kid and this is his. First year of college.
Speaker 1: Hoops i'm not necessarily, knocking on him for it but if, He can't handle VCU's pressure kevin's probably gonna Have. To go with down hall and maybe WE see something similar against Vcu, that We Saw against houston because kapa cata was the only athlete that looked like he Belonged.
Speaker 2: On the floor AGAINST.
Speaker 1: Houston so WHAT does byu do if vcu brings some of that physicality and pressure and their guard. Line isn't ready for, it, because to your point like if they, knock down fourteen. Fifteen threes they're gonna win but this tournament.
Speaker 2: Is impossible to predict for.
Speaker 1: A couple of, different, reasons, first of all, sprain ankle whatever injury happens and then. Suddenly a team, is out second of all one team, goes hot from the outside.
Speaker 2: The other team goes cold.
Speaker 1: Then YOU get an upset if byu is not knocking down threes and their guard play, isn't necessarily responding against?
Speaker 2: PRESSURE what do they do i think it could be a little bit.
Speaker 9: Of A problem.
Speaker 2: For them.
Speaker 11: You're jackson right then they're gonna have to figure out a way to be able to really man up and really uh react in a positive way to the pressure that. That They're, going to Feel now again maybe the houston game Helps them because they played houston twice this year and got and and got run out both. Times, You know against them uh so they've got all that film to look at and to. FIGURE out the demon kid i like, him some as a player but he's been so inconsistent in his effort uh this, year and, his his ability you know TO do the things that i think he's capable of doing, skill wise and talent wise but he always a lot of times HE tends to play what i call him second gear and and uh and rarely really turns it on because you can see some players he makes, and, games where you go okay. That's why everybody likes him and but he doesn't do, It for me often enough he's gonna have to come in a, Game, like this and Say okay this, is what i'm here for this. Is what it's ALL about this Is. WHY i came. FROM russia i Stopped off i was in madrid for a few years in Their Youth. Academy PROGRAM at real Madrid, Now i come to provo utah to get try AND. Get ready for the nba this is where all. The, eyes are on, me okay here we go and this is where you find, out when guys show up if guys have it in them to, be able to do that to be able to present have a presence in a game that makes everybody watch and, look, at you and say oh that's the guy who's. Running the show out, here because, as we know you know when when you mentioned that that you, know that coach young start you know Took him out. Puts in dowllen hall whatever, that's because at THAT moment coach feels like i got to GO with the guy who i know is going to play hard for a. Longer sustained PERIOD of time that's what. I have in my gut. That's what coaching is about and that's what, We. Always used to say spence when you, got in a tight game at, the end of the game you'd set up a, play for a particular player and as the players, went out on the floor sometimes the players that talk, to, each other and go hey the coach wanted, us to run this play but We're gonna run the other we're gonna. Run it a different. Way and why is, that it's because the players, when they're on the floor they know. Who the real players are you can fool the fans and, sometimes and the broadcasters whatever but the players, who are on the floor they know. Who the real guys are and a game like this is going to be a Big step for someone like aegory Demon to show people that. I'm one of the guys. You've been hearing about me there's some fluss, talk minus tuck or whatever but This is a game or i'm. Going to show YOU guys this is why i came here and this is THIS is why b. Y u has me here so that's going to be an interesting thing For, Me, to watch, come thursday.
Speaker 1: Smiddy thank you. My friend for the time where do? We find you these days are you back? In town after your? Travels, Where are YOU at.
Speaker 11: No i'm actually i spent the last TWO weeks working at the atp Thousand Tennis. Tournament down in palm springs we had, a good Time down there. And now i'm In Traveling i'm actually in las Vegas today on My Way. Wednesday up to saint george we're going to have a little three days of some golf with a bunch, of my buddies down there and then We'll. Be back in sull it we'll be back in, The, studio and next week spancy you'll have to spend a whole. Hour, LISTENING to my dribble well.
Speaker 1: I cannot wait for, It i've said it. Before i'll say it again It Is. Good to be richard. Smith so enjoy your travels, thank you for the time and. We'll, see you, Next, week okay.
Speaker 11: All right Spence Appreciate.
Speaker 1: You ma'm hi Richard Smith forty years with utah jazz including nine Working. Side by side with ali it's gonna do It for. Us on a monday drive coming, Up on the other Side HISTORIC. Night At, the, john m huntsman center well where we, Have Been broadcasting, all day alex jensen said to be introduced as The seventeenth head coach. IN utah Men's basketball history i see natalie and the. Girls in front of me. No Sign of algis. Yet dave fox is, here he's acting very important even though we all.
Speaker 2: Know that he, is not, That was Me.
Speaker 1: All Right porter young man alex jensen introduced tonight jazz. Basketball GOING on as well but i feel like there's something missing from the show that you have.
Speaker 2: NOT said, TO me.
Speaker 3: Today i uh i do want to, wish you A happy birthday something that alonso had to tell me.
Speaker 2: Half, way through the, SHOW.
Speaker 1: Yeah four hours later i can't get a birthday TEXT from my producer when i?
Speaker 2: Wake up on my birthday is?
Speaker 5: That?
Speaker 2: Too much to ask you gotta you gotta not be the old guy.
Speaker 3: WHO'S too cool for. BIRTHDAYS i had no. Clue I had No clue.
Speaker 1: Saint patrick's day it's, not THAT hard to remember and. I REMEMBER yours every. YEAR but I you know i guess i'm just a man of the people in.
Speaker 9: A way that?
Speaker 2: You're not what day? Is what day's my birthday, july.
Speaker 8: Might.
Speaker 2: As? Well be isn't it wait? What Day?
Speaker 1: Is your birthday, in october that's, all right you Remember. Though it, is, in october but yeah yeah. ANOTHER trip around the sun i am closer to fifty than i'm the forty for the. First Time in my life so i've. Got to deal with that but gonna go get some dinner. With my boy to night my son flew in and we're. Gonna have a, good, time and so yeah yeah. It's been a good. Day been a good day but let's get out of here because it's time now, for the most important thing and that is to. Get this press conference rolling so coming up next it is The Press conference to introduce alex jensen as The seventeenth head coach. In Utah men's basketball history porter what comes our way Back in Studio on A tuesday show.
Speaker 3: On A, tuesday edition of, The drive you mentioned it. We're Back here in studio tony jones joins the PROGRAM talking, some jazz And Nba latest as DOES Zach harper. For the nba daily assist we'll Check In with our, guy tony parks, some hoops, some college hoops some BASEBALL all the above with tp and then fresh off Your, Trip Up on the hill chris hill Will join us On A Tuesday edition Of the drive.
Speaker 2: Live and studio very nice that will be An, excellent show on a tuesday and with.
Speaker 1: That will say tonight Special Thank, You Today, To Josh, furlong Roxy Bernstein gavin peterson and richard smith for any of the sound that you may Have. Missed FROM the show, Today website espn seven hundred sports dot com download our mobile app. Take US on the go the espn seven hundred app is Available For, free In the App. Store the google play. Store check out Our Podcast it Is. Called The drive with spence check it's available. Wherever, you get, your show subscribe, rate reviews say nice things. Give us all the stars. You'll be blessed for porter. I'm spent Saying Tonight, Special Thanks, To Alonso, yeoman zephyr today lindy paul everybody up here taking. Such Great, Care of us alex jensen pressler. Comes away coming up next we'll talk to YOU tomorrow right here on espn seven hundred