Speaker 1: Welcome to Amusing Jews, where we celebrate Jewish contributors and contributions to American popular culture. I'm Jonathan Friedman and I'm Joey Angelfield. Producer engineer Mike Tomran is working somewhere behind the scenes. Amusing Jews is a project of a Dotaverine Congregation for Humanistic Judaism, the Jewish Museum of the American West, and Atheist United Studios. Hey, Joe, when funk legend George Clinton was in sixth grade, he overheard his friend practicing for his bar mitzvah. One of those Hebrew chants later became Parliament's hit song Flashlight. This is just one of the many stories of how black and Jewish sounds have shaped American music.
Speaker 2: We're excited to talk again with Joe Alterman, an Atlanta based jazz pianist and executive director of the Niranua Concert and Culture series. Joe, welcome back to Amusing Jews Man.
Speaker 3: Thank you for having me. So good to be here.
Speaker 2: When did you first become aware of convergences between black and Jewish music.
Speaker 4: Well, I think I've always been aware. I've always kind of felt it more than I was even aware.
Speaker 3: Of it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think like growing up listening to the jazz records that I just was in love with. I kind of always felt like me and the people on record on the record like had something in common, like they were almost like they were talking to me. And in a lot of senses, I feel like I grew up going to Jewish day school, and I think I felt like, for a while, I felt like what I had been taught in Jewish day school that I would find in Judaism. I found it surprising that I actually found it in jazz instead of Judaism at that young age.
Speaker 3: But you know, it's all changed now.
Speaker 4: But but yeah, I've always had something I've always felt that it wasn't really until, you know, I'd always I grew up hearing about the Black Jewish Alliance. I'm from Atlanta, so like we have the Temple here and you know, all the Martin Luther King's his churches here. I grew up hearing about that, but I didn't really know much about it, especially in the world of music. I feel like in this conversation, you really hear about the Alliance and sports and politics more than music. It wasn't until I met some of my mentors, pianists like Les McCann and Ramsey Lewis, that I really started to feel that this was something that they felt too, you know, and they kind of confided in me that, you know, my being Jewish was.
Speaker 3: Something that made them feel a little closer to me.
Speaker 4: Right away, and we you know, we talk about it, and they understood that had they been born twenty or thirty years later, that might not be the case. So it was really through them that I started to see this as like a real lived thing, not just like you know, I mean, because I guess the way I was always taught about the alliance was more like the March on Selma, and that was like that one experience. I've just learned that it's so much deeper than that. It's like it's in fact, I think it's the things that we love, Like so much of what's American about being American about is Jewish, is black and Jewish and nothing.
Speaker 1: Yet, as you're alluding to, the Black Jewish Alliance did fizzle at a certain point on the political realm, with you know, the nineteen seventies and the Black Power movement and things like this that kind of severed ties with Jewish activism to a great extent. Did that also happen in the music world where Jews and blacks kind of went their separate ways?
Speaker 3: Kind of?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean there was a moment I think. I mean, you could still say there's a Jewish black you know, there are Jews and blacks working together in the music industry. But I feel like, up until a certain point that I'll get to in one sec it was kind of like a Jewish industry and we'll get into I'm sure why, Like Jews kind of created the music industry in a sense, but really what happened is around like a lot of basically, there wasn't really a music industry before Jews came. I don't know if you want me to like explain what happened, but you know, I could just share that pretty much Jews kind of created the record labels that would record black artists, and there were not you know, before the Jews got into the industry. There were a few major labels, but they really weren't touching black artists.
Speaker 3: If they were, they kind of called it race music.
Speaker 4: So like for most immigrant groups when they moved to the United States in the early nineteen hundreds, they aspired to fit in with the Wasps, but the Jews didn't really feel that and they, you know, fit in more.
Speaker 3: With the black community.
Speaker 4: And so they moved to those kind of neighborhoods, and you know, and there were people who Jewish people who moved for those neighbors, who like loved music and wanted to get into recording music and stuff. But there were also people who just you know, they were just you know, there wasn't a lot to do for entertainment back then. So they go to the bar, you know, and they go to the bar in their neighborhood and they'd see, like every night there was some black musician entertaining an audience that was just lined out the door to see this person.
Speaker 3: Every night. It was like that.
Speaker 4: And then they'd come to the conclusion that no one's recording these artists, but there's a demand to see them. So so like a label like Chess Records, they were just like take a chance on all these artists that they were seeing in this club called the mcumba Lounge. And I mean this was like, now, it's amazing. It's like callan Wolf, Muddy Waters that you know, Ated James, people like that but back then they didn't know what was gonna hit and what was gonna be a dud. Really, so basically back then the Chess brothers, it's you know, when we look back on it now, the Chess family.
Speaker 3: This is why they get a lot of.
Speaker 4: Stuff, I guess is because their family is very wealthy, whereas like most of the musicians, it took a lot of lawsuits and stuff for them to become wealthy. But what happened is when they decided to record all of these artists and start their own label. They they couldn't there wasn't really like a blueprint for how to do contracts, first of all, but they couldn't afford to do what you do today, which is basically you pay some sort of advance and then pay a royalty. So they basically just paid everything as an advance and that's how you know. And by the way, like so so say they put out twelve albums, most of the will not really make any noise. If anything made noise, the best case scenario for them was it would sell thirty thousand copies around that much, which would have been a failure for Frank Sinatra. Sinatra needed to sell like you know, between two and ten million copies of a record back then, so they sell thirty thousand copies that could barely afford to pay for the records that sold nothing. So that's like how they managed to stay a company and to even survive past a few years.
Speaker 3: And then, you know, you can't.
Speaker 4: Predict the future necessarily, so it's hard to imagine that twenty years later all these British bands like the Stones and the Beatles would come around saying the greatest music that's ever existed is on Chess Records. Then people go and buy this music, like what and so then at that point, that's when it starts to get a little tricky because they paid them advances, not royalties. That's when they I think everyone should have potentially renegotiated the contracts and stuff, but it didn't really happen like that for the most part. And so the moment of the breakup in the music industry, the long winded way of getting there is is that when Martin Luther King was assassinated, there was a push among black people in the on the industry side of the music for to encourage them to own their to own more of their output. And so that's when there was like this this real movement to get out of these Jewish owned record labels, maybe start your own, or at least on your publishing things like that. And yeah, I think from then on it's it's less of this like Jewish black story in American music, and it's more of like coincidental moments that that include those those people, if that makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and in defensive Chess Records, as you're saying, you know, with these nascent industries where you have a shoestring budget and you don't know what's gonna be a success. You know, sometimes the artists themselves, we're just really happy to sell something, and you know that we're not looking twenty thirty years in their own future to see, you know, did I make a mistake? And this happened with like but you know Siegel and Schuster when they sold the rights to Superman, you know, when they were just kids trying to trying to get into the industry that didn't think about royalties. And I was just reading as well, Eddie Goldfarb, who it's still alive with like one hundred and four, he's a Jewish toymaker. When he made the Chattering Teeth I think back in the nineteen forties he just like sold the whole idea for nine hundred bucks.
Speaker 3: Everyone was just trying to survive. Really, it was yeah.
Speaker 2: Enjoining the show, click like and subscribe.
Speaker 1: You've written that African American and Jewish American culture share the blue note.
Speaker 3: Could you explain definitely?
Speaker 4: I feel like so I feel like before American music and I define American music, what I'm really talking about is black music that has you know, that has some Jewish contribution within it. But before that, if you were going to be like an opera singer, for example, there was a sound that you're trying to you're studying all these years to attain this one sound. And then in American music, really I think thanks to Louis Armstrong who was really influenced by this Jewish prayers that he heard not the not the prayer, like the words of the prayer, but the emotional feeling of the melody.
Speaker 3: He kind of.
Speaker 4: Made it so the goal of American music was be you the two cultures like the Jews, I feel like the Jewish, the Jewish community and the Black community. If you look at like any of the music that was, you know, black gospel, music or songs we sing in synagogue and just look at the sheet music and play like the melody exactly as written.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 4: I would do this as a little kid, you know, playing like, oh say shallow, I'm just like the melody, and then you know, maybe amazing grace, just the melody, and the teacher would always say I did it right because I played it exactly as written. But that's it never felt right to me. It always felt like something was missing. And that's kind of the soul. Like these songs were kind of written to be not told, not with interpreted with precision, but to you know, you put your truth into it.
Speaker 3: Like the goal with both of those community communities music.
Speaker 4: I think this is really the blue note is the goal is telling your truth. You know, don't You don't need to be precise, that's missing the point. The point is like be you. And I think that's like that's really kind of become like the American.
Speaker 3: Message of music.
Speaker 4: I think to the whole world thanks to Louis Armstrong and that kind of stuff. And if you don't mind, I'll share one little thing that just came into mind. I got to interview Mike Stoler of Libra and Stoller who wrote like Jailhouse Rock and hound Dog and all that stuff. And I kind of awkwardly mentioned this to him because I was like, you know, I got to be honest, like this is kind of uncomfortable to ask, but you know this, if you read the Jewish tunes just as written on the cheap music, the Black Gospel tunes just has written on the sheet music, and honestly, like some of yours, like have I just play hound Dog as written, it's the the the the I was like, that's that's kind of feels like it's getting the notes that you wrote right, but it's missing something. And he was like, yeah, that's why Jerry's Mike Stoller, Jerry leevery He's like, that's why Jerry and I we always were producers of the music of these songs, because we wanted to protect the intention of them. And that's why Bert Backrach would come in and picked Geon Warwick to sing the song he wrote. He knew that, like that was part of the magic of it. It has to be. It's about interpretation.
Speaker 2: Speaking of the Blue Note, Blue Note Records was founded by two Jewish jazz enthusiasts who fled naz Germany, Alfred Lyon and Francis Wolf. What does this tell us about Jews working behind the scenes of black music.
Speaker 4: I feel like there's a few different kinds of Jews who got into the industry. One were people like the Chess brothers who go to this bar and just see an economic opportunity. And this Blue Note example more sheds light on the people who really got in it because they loved the music.
Speaker 3: Like they loved it.
Speaker 4: I mean, I think one of the reasons they wanted to come to America, I mean, obviously was to escape Nazi Germany, but one of the reasons they chose America and wanted to be here was so they could be near all the jazz musicians that they loved. And then they came here and they were shocked at all the prejudice they saw it to these musicians, and they like part of their mission was not only to record music, but it was to like, you know, out of you know, help their lives and try, you know, so they I mean, one thing that's amazing about Blue Note versus some other labels is Blue Note. Actually I don't know where they got the money or how they made this work, but they were able to pay for a few days of rehearsal, maybe two or three days of rehearsal before the session itself. So if you look at Blue Note Records output versus like Prestige Records output, So take Sonny.
Speaker 3: Rollins versus John Coltrane.
Speaker 4: Basically Sonny was on Prestige and John Coltrane was on a Blue Note. You'll see that John Coltrane mostly recorded originals, whereas Sonny Rollins mostly recorded standards. And it's nothing, it's all great music. But because Blue Note was able to give these guys these extra days to rehearse, they were able to get to easily more get together their originals. And that's actually, you know, that's more money for these artists in the long run because they're recording their own music.
Speaker 3: So there's there's more in it for them.
Speaker 4: But I think like there's there's Blue Note guys. And I think by the way they saw like some of the the beatings and stuff of these black artists that they loved so much.
Speaker 3: I think they called them pog romes when they were here.
Speaker 4: But Norman Grands is a similar like fascinating guy and that world.
Speaker 3: Norman Grand started Verve Records.
Speaker 4: He like owned all these record labels and started this thing called Jazz at the Philharmonic, which basically like it was like an evening of like all the most all star jazz you could. I mean, back in the day, you would literally see like Charlie Parker, Lester Young, Coleman, Hawkins, Elephantzgerald, Billie Holiday, Oscar Peterson all in the same concert. And Norman Grands made sure that every hall was desegregated, Like he wouldn't let the concerts happen if they were going to be segregated. He actually would like pay to transport the musicians in limousines. He paid for it himself because he wanted them to make sure like they felt on par with the classical musicians that he knew that they were. There's all these stories of like, I mean, he busted this cop somewhere, I think it was in Texas.
Speaker 3: He busted a cop. El Fitzgerald was on stage.
Speaker 4: He saw this cop putting cocaine on El Fitzgerald's toilet, and he like sued the I mean, he he protected his his his artists a lot.
Speaker 3: I mean another story, like he's about to get.
Speaker 4: In a cab with Ella and the cab driver says, he pulls out a gun and says like, I'm gonna shoot you if you get in my cabin.
Speaker 3: Norman calms the situation.
Speaker 4: I mean, there's a lot of and even like Jerry Wexler is another interesting figure too from Atlantic Records. There's a funny story where his partner was ahm At Urtigu and who was actually Muslim, and they worked together with Atlantic. And there's this hilarious story where Jerryry Wexler was meeting with Stephen Stills and he was pissed because Stephen Stills was signed with Atlantic or about to sign with Atlantic, but Crosby Stills was going with another label, and he's like he was pissed and he was gonna he just like went in the meeting and it was like over in like ten minutes. Steven Still is just like left, like furious. And then the next day, Omedor Toagoon is like, I'm gonna go meet with him now, and Omedor to Goon just he goes and meets with Steven Stills and at the end of the meeting he's like, yeah, not only is Steven Stills back on the label, but I got Crosby Still was the nash To come on the label too.
Speaker 3: They were just like a hilarious partnership.
Speaker 4: But like Jerry Wexler and I'll just share one more little tidbit about it, because it's all kind of similar in spirit. I think, like before Aretha Franklin was on Atlantic Records, she was on Columbia Records. Colombia the recordings on that label of her are great, like she's singing, but she's he's not really the Aretha that we all know. She's singing like over the Rainbow and songs like that with string sections. It's almost like they're trying to make her be the next like El Fitzgerald. And so she goes to audition for Jerry Wexler, who's just like a like a funny, tough Jewish guy, you know. And she's in the middle of her audition and he just stops her. He's like, cut out the Judy Garland imitation. Apparently that's the line he said. And Aretha's like, well, you know, He's like, tell me about yourself. And they gotta play the piano in my church. They won't play the piano, and so she sits down and plays the piano. And that's when like The next song she recorded was I Never know a man the way I Love you, you know, like that's Aretha.
Speaker 3: And it's not to say I think the most.
Speaker 4: It's important to keep in mind the most important person in this story is the artist, but you know, someone like Jerry Wexler in that situation was able to see something in her that you know, she hadn't quite awoken yet. Similarly, like Ramsey Lewis, just one last time. There's so many things here. But Ramsey Lewis was one of my mentors and he was on Chess Records, and he told me that basically what happened was he was in a group called like I can't remember the name at the time, but let's say it was the Clovers. It was like a name like that it was. It wasn't like a person's name, and it was it was like a seven piece band. There were horn players. But then all of a sudden, all the horn players got drafted to go fight in Korea. So they all go to Korea and is now it's just a trio and they were still going by like the Clovers. But this DJ in town was like, hey man, you know, like you know, normally if the piano players. The lead in plays the melody like it should be like the Ramsey Lewis trio. So they did that and then Chess Records decides to audition them, signs them.
Speaker 3: And Ramsey told me two things about being on the label.
Speaker 4: He said, First of all, you never would have heard of me had it ever been never been for Chess Records. He's like, I had no ambitions of being anything other than this pianist for this septet. But they they not only made me a leader, they signed me. They gave me a record deal, you know, and there were a lot of artists like that who you know.
Speaker 3: So But at the same time, Ramsey said, occasionally he'd get like.
Speaker 4: A a gift quote quote for his wife that would be like a mink coat, and he knew it wasn't like a bonus. It came from something, came out of something. But yeah, I mean, there's all the business stuff. But in the end, you know, these guys really document it and preserved so much incredible music. It's like hard to imagine America the world without I mean, for me for sure.
Speaker 1: One of the most important examples of Black Jewish musical collaboration is the anti lynching song, Strange.
Speaker 3: Fruit lunch trees. That's strange.
Speaker 5: Fruit, blood on the leaves and blood up the roots, Black Bodies Swinging. In the seventies, Inch Frew.
Speaker 4: Hanging from the there was a song actually it precedes it, I think by more than a decade. It was an Irving Berlin song called supper Time, which was actually like the first song written about lynching.
Speaker 3: And so I just think it's worth throwing that out there.
Speaker 4: But Strange Fruit is pretty fascinating because everyone thinks it's written by Billie Holliday because it just it's how could it not be when you hear her sing it, you know, But it was actually written by a Jewish school teacher named Abel Mirpol an Able Mirpol. In addition to being a Jewish school teacher in the Bronx, he was a pretty active socialist. He adopted the children of the Rosenbergs after they were executed.
Speaker 3: This wasn't just like he was writing a song.
Speaker 4: I mean, he did see a photograph that kind of that really angered him and inspired him to write the.
Speaker 3: Poem that became a song.
Speaker 4: But there was actually apparently like a movement in New York of poets writing Yiddish poetry about lynching black lynchings in the South at the same time, so it wasn't like in a vacuum necessarily, But anyway, he really wanted to get the song to Billie Holliday and somehow he got it to her and she just was, you know, really really wanted to sing it. But she was signed to Columbia Records too, the same label we were just talking about with Aretha, and that was owned by this guy I run by this guy John Hammond, who's like a legendary figure. But at the time, he didn't want to touch a song about lynching. He just thought it was going to be bad for business, and you know, I don't He would not touch it. So she was really sad and frustrated. And the story is that she went to her friend Bill Gabler. It was a Jewish record.
Speaker 3: Owner. He owned a label called Commodore Records.
Speaker 4: It was just like, I got this song, I have to record this, and he said to sing it to her and she just sang at a cappella for him in the store and she finished. He was like in tears and said, like, I don't care if we make a dollar, we have to put this song out and so they worked out a deal with her label. They put it out. The song ended up being called like the number one song of the century century by Time magazine. She got in a lot of trouble for that song, like everywhere she went, like people a lot of times, the you know, the club owners didn't want her to sing the song, either because they were racist themselves, or they were afraid what you know, would happen to them, you know, people would have backlash to it or whatever, and so she was most of the time she was really discouraged from singing the song, but she really loved the song and wanted to sing it. So there was a club in New York It's called Cafe Society. It was actually the first integrated nightclub in the city.
Speaker 3: Somewher in the village.
Speaker 4: The owner of that club was this Jewish guy named Barney Josephson, who not only didn't tell her to not perform it, he insisted that she performed it, and he insisted that none of the waitresses could serve a drink or food or anything when she sang it. And he also insisted that she do it as the last song every night, and there would never be an encore He liked the fact that the you know, he wasn't it was an integrated nightclub, but he wasn't really in the quote entertainment business. He liked the part the fact that they're gonna have to sit there, this integrated group and then they have to leave kind of uncomfortable thinking about that, and so I just think it's I mean, it's amazing that these three white Jewish men had integral roles in this song that you know, I still can't believe Billy Holiday didn't write it herself, you know. But oh but Milk Gebler, by the way, was Billy Crystal's uncle. He so he was the producer on Rock around the Clock, the first quote quote rock and roll song, even though he would tell you it wasn't. But the reason it's called the first rock and roll song is because Milk Gabler, as the producer of that session, have this group.
Speaker 3: It was a white country group, and he picked a drummer.
Speaker 4: That he really loved, and it was this black drummer who had worked with Louis Jordan and like the R and B scene, rhythm and blue stuff, and he combined this this R and B drummer with this country group and that's the sound that created why everyone thinks the song is rock and roll. But the reason I mentioned this is because when they did this session that day, they Rock around the Clock was the B side of the record, and they thought that the song that was on the A side was going to be the hit, so they spent most of the day on that. So by the time they got to Rock around the Clock, they only had time to do two takes. And when he listened back to the takes, he realized he liked the sound of the band on the first or one of He liked the sound of the band on one of the recordings and the sound of the vocals on the other. He didn't know what to do, so he figured out how to splice them together.
Speaker 3: And that was the.
Speaker 4: First example of splicing tape and music like that.
Speaker 3: That's that's like the blueprint of like hip hop and you know so much. It's just I think that's just an amazing thing.
Speaker 2: Getting back to Mill Gabler, who produced Billie Hollidays recording A Strange Fruit. You organized a concert celebrating him. How did that come about?
Speaker 4: I have this organization Atlanta called NRAN and I that used to be called the Atlanta Jewish Music Festival, and every year before I came on, there was that we'd pay tribute to a Jewish born artist, but you know, a lot of times beyond the fact that the person happened to be born have been born Jewish, I didn't really know what to leave the concert feeling like I learned anything about Jewish stuff. You know. It was more, we're celebrating this guy who whose parents were Jewish, so he was too, you know, and so I was like, let's let's what's a more meaningful way to do that. And so I thought, let's pay tribute to a Jewish owned record label every year, or as many as.
Speaker 3: Often as we can.
Speaker 4: So that was kind of the first year we did Chess, because I thought, you know, we need to start with the most complicated story. It's not about patting ourselves on the back or anything like that. It's like really about understanding the stories. And then I was like, finally we did Chess. We did Atlanta, and I thought, let's do a commodore milk Gabler, and I was lucky. I got to interview Billy Crystal and he told me all these amazing stories about his uncle and you know how big growing up around all these jazz musicians was were like, what what uh made him want to be funny because it would be a comedian because he liked making these jazz guys laugh. And I mean so that was like the highlight for me to just get to speak with him about all of these you know, stories and stuff.
Speaker 3: But yeah, the concert was great. We rearranged a lot of those songs that they records.
Speaker 4: It's like paying tribute to Milk Gabler and Comedo Records is like paying tribute to Frank Sinatra. It's like there's every song you could choose from. So it's gonna be fun, you know.
Speaker 1: And Billy Crystal did that wonderful Yiddish scat routine at the Tony Awards some years ago. Ella Fish Jerald, wherever you are, I apologize on advanced.
Speaker 3: Billy look about flag him second.
Speaker 5: Tim Loganza lokiz lain lame leg it legos.
Speaker 1: Right now your turn?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 4: So yeah, because I I, uh, I didn't I knew he knew Louis Armstrong. He told me about going to Uh, Louis Armstrong coming to their Satyrs. He said that, you know, Louis Armstrong had the raspy voice, and he said something like his He remembered his grandma saying like, Hey, Louis, can't.
Speaker 3: You just cough it up?
Speaker 2: And uh?
Speaker 4: But uh, Anyway, I thought like, since he had been around Louis Armstrong, I was curious if he knew this story that's really hard to like find, which.
Speaker 3: Is Louis Armstrong.
Speaker 4: The moment he invented scat singing, he was recording this song called Hebgb's and a lot of people know that he dropped the sheet music with the tape still running, so he just started scatting, but not a lot of people know that. In that moment, he thought back to the jew the Jewish family in New Orleans that he worked for, when they put their baby to bed, they go in the kitchen and pray, and like they were they were from lithuan And I don't know what language they prayed in, but it wasn't English. And so and he talked about how that sound of them praying was so emotionally powerful to him that he said that in the moment that he invented skatzing, and he actually thought back to the Jews bring in their kitchen and again that these kind of emotionally powerful, random syllables, kind of like scatt.
Speaker 2: When you play tunes by composers like George Gershwin or Harold Arland, do you sense a certain Jewish genesa Kuah.
Speaker 4: There's only a few songs that I play that like, I always feel that, and they're honestly, they're Coldporter songs. And Colporter was not Jewish there, but Coldporter. There's this song my Heart Belongs to Daddy, I feel like is the most Jewish sounding song in the book, in the songbook, Yes might be long.
Speaker 5: To Daddy, jaw should be, couldn't be bad?
Speaker 4: Yea shall I'm gonna marry day? This other one, you'd be so nice to come home to. Also, I just it feels Jewish. And he actually he was quoted saying that, you know, he was. He kind of struggled for a little while how to write for Broadway, and when he realized that, like much of the audience coming to those early Broadway shows were Jewish Jews who were fans of Yiddish theater, he realized that, I think the quote was he realized that he had to write Jewish music. So he was like writing minor major tunes with them in mine. It's kind of fascinating. But I think a lot about the you know, I think there's some that, now that I know the stories behind them, I think the Jewish thing more.
Speaker 3: But I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think like my heart belongs to Daddy as one that even if I didn't know anything about it, it would always feel kind of Jewish to me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think whenever, like Irving Berlin went into the minor key, he was like exuding some of that you know, Russian Empire Jewish experience.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know what I mean totally, It's like Russian March. It's almost like, yeah, exactly. Yeah. And I think just a lot of the blues is is very similar to that minor sound. So when the jazz guys interpreted with the swing, it just feels like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. If you ever said, like hofta cancelation to like a you know, a more jazzy rhythm, it's it's just cat callaway.
Speaker 3: You know. That's fascinating. I've never thought that, man. I found out that what's this.
Speaker 4: I was friendly with the writer and Matt hint Off, and Matt told me that he fell in love with jazz walking down the street and as Tawny grew up with Chiny grew up, which was Roxbury outside of Boston, and he said he heard this song and he said that it literally I think the words he said was it sounded like a frozen swinging and he found out late it was a woody no No no, an Artie Shaw piece that Artie Shaw had based off.
Speaker 3: Of a nagoon. He found that out later, so that was Yeah, there's so much in common. I feel it.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks so much Joe for joining us.
Speaker 3: Of course you'll want to talk for like three more hours. I could do this all day. I'm just kidding.
Speaker 1: I love this and to our audience, now back to your regularly scheduled lives.
Speaker 2: Amusing Jews is here to amuse you. If you like being amused, go ahead and click like and subscribe,