Speaker 1: What's up everybody. Welcome to That's not Mettal. We are your weekly rock and heavy music podcast, and welcome here. Every Friday, we are here with you for an edition of Hyperblasts, which is our shorter form news and release round up show where we let you know everything that you need to know that's happened in the last seven days or so. On that front. A few years ago, we have the Turnstile pitpooper. He's struck again. He seems to have moved to New Zealand this time, but there is pit pooping still a foot out there in this terrible, terrible world of ours, isn't that right? Sam?
Speaker 2: The size of a.
Speaker 3: Shre Apparently, like other reports that it was like it was like big poop this time, and people were throwing up and it feels like this was like a real like nightmare scenario for everyone involved.
Speaker 1: But yeah, how do you how do you go on? You know, like, how do you as the person who's done the pit poop? How do you pick yourself up and move forward from that?
Speaker 2: Again? Like was it one way?
Speaker 3: He was like you know what, like I'm just gonna poop for laugh? Or like was it like a oh shit, I'm not going to make it to the toilet. Oh no, oh no, oh no, here it goes.
Speaker 1: I have to imagine it's the latter. And if that is true, then that's a terrible scenario to be in. Again, I don't know how you come back from it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like there's.
Speaker 3: Gotta be Warner says, you must know your stomach feeling a bit funky and you need to get out of there.
Speaker 2: But like, if the gig's that good, I like, you're going to make the sacrifice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that didn't even happen where I was at the weekend, which you'd think were given the name the prime environment for it. I'm gonna talk out that in just a moment. My name is parent. Here that Sam ticking on. You can hear a cross from me, Like I said, this is hyperblast. Let's get into all of this, and I'm going to start off by talking about I want to speak a little bit about where I was at the weekend. There was no pit pooping around. I was at a little festival that's appeared in Manchester here in the UK in the last few years called Awful Fest. And we have I don't know we've I think we might have jokingly referred to it a handful of times just because the name of the place right it paints such a vivid picture. Doesn't it like they have done an absolute worldy of a marketing job in terms of like subbing up what the musical vibe of their event is with you know, a name like awful Fest where if you can picture the most diabolically nasty, dingy you know, death metal festival, you could imagine you could call it something like aful Fest.
Speaker 2: It could only be a post where you can't read the band names.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like that.
Speaker 3: If you've got an awful Fest, if you like, if I can read more than half the band names on that line up poster, you've you've failed at your booking awful Fest right there?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I can tell you right now they have never failed in that, like, they have absolutely lived up to what that is. This is the fourth year this festival has run, so the first one. Mathematically that works out to twenty twenty two or three, doesn't it. I can't even do my mast straight off the top my head there, but I have you know again, it's in a city that is, you know, somewhat adjacent in the region of the country. Where I live. So I remember, I think the first year it popped up, I saw the poster and I did exactly what we just did, right. I laughed at the name. I saw a poster full of just like what could only be you know, slam and brittle death metal bands, right, And I don't know if it was the very first one that had guttural slug headlining who I would talk about a little bit more later on, but I took notice of a couple names that are on there, and I was like, oh cool, you know, a brutal death metal all day a thing popping up in It was originally in Rebellion in Manchester, which is the exact venue basical the way you'd imagine like something like that would exist, right. I think Rebellion is something like three hundred cap It's where I go to a lot of my you know, small underground type shows in Manchester, and I kind of I've watched it from afar the last few years, and something that's happened with it where I had to really start checking in and paying attention because in a pretty small amount of time, right again, the fourth year of the event running this year, it has grown far far more than I think you would have put money on a small startup brutal death metal event based in Manchester would do right. So I got invited to attend this year and I was like, again, I've been watching this from afar. I am genuinely curious and impressed by what they're starting to build over there. So I came along. It's now in a venue I think it was upgraded. It was so I was like I said, started in Rebellion, then it was going to move to the Breadshed. It's ended up going in a venue which I'd never been to in my life before, but a ven you called Boundary in Manchester, which I believe if anyone has been to the Manchester Punk Festival that I know bands like Mensingers and so and have played that event in the part. Again, I've never been there, but I was told that it's the same venue where that takes place, which I went in and I was like, yeah, I could imagine Manchester Punk Festival taken here for a brutal death metal event, which is this is what awful Fest is, right, alfle Fest is. It doesn't even summit up to say it's a death metal festival because it's not a death metal festival where you're getting Cannibal Corpse and Obituary and you know, newer bands like Blood Incantation or two Mold or whatever to that playing. This is specifically brutal death metal and slam event, like we said, one of those events where every band's name ends in ectomy or toe me Me or idity like something like that, and they all have you know, again that style, you know, slam logo that we're we're talking about. This is a niche within a niche within a niche, you know. Yeah, And that is what made it so impressive to me that they actually do seem to be building something and having gone and attended it, that's genuinely the vibe I picked up. It's the venue again, I'm not sure of the exact capacity, but it's somewhere in the region of perhaps a thousand or a bit under now boundary, which four a full on like the absolute that. I'll tell you the headliners of the festival. One of them was meant to be Development, who unfortunately had to pull out, which I'll talk about in a little bit, but one of them is meant to Development. The other day was I think a co headline between a band called Regurgitation and another band who people may have heard of if they're just outside of that niche as a band called Faultcy. And again those are like the peak of the what this vent, what this festival has currently been able to you know, book in a like in a pipe dream world. Basically the absolute biggest band in the specific style of death metal that they you know, function in would be if they booked Suffocation or Dying Fetus or perhaps perhaps of Catalty Capitation or something like that they have like Skinless last Yeah, skin Skinless have headlined it in the past, right, So again the biggest bands that you can pull from the specifically brutal death metal you know, sub category and subniche of it. So like I'm saying, a niche within a niche, but getting that to a point where it's now in a you know, approaching something like a thousand capacity venue is pretty crazy. I don't know if it's been done before, at least in this country in terms of again catering this specific kind of music to something like that, and it is starting to Like I said, when it's first started up, it was like a you know, an all day thing in Manchester. Now it has grown to I guess technically three days. I went along for the Saturday and Sunday because the Friday we were sort of like you know, labeled as like a pre show type day. But it's still a three day event really, and people are you know, traveling in from at least across the country for it, and it's starting to position itself as like, yeah, if you if this is your niche, then this is the event that you're upon hear, that you're gonna be wanting to go into. So I'm fascinated and like thoroughly impressed really, Like I'm always impressed by that. I've said that's about events like Fortress at anytime, you know, an event starts up catering to something that no one would tell you is commercially viable, and they succeeds with it and they managed to make it work and they do it the right way, which again you know, community organized and all this kind of stuff, Like I am, I'm always like buoyed by that. So I guess I wanted to again just talk a little bit about this sort of thing appearing that has been going around, you know, long enough at this point to start saying like you're like, yeah, this is a legitimate staple in the calendar at this point in time if that is your niche. And again if you are observing from kind of outside it and you didn't realize how large a draw because again basically, all the bands on this festival, a couple of them aside, aren't bands that we've ever spoken about in a you know, reviewing capacity or you know, in our clerbal or anything like that. So if you were to look at this festival poster and you're not in that niche, you wouldn't know anyone. So to go, this is like again actually like pulling into numbers, right, I think is again a great testament to what it's doing. And again immersing myself in the the vibe of awful fest For the weekend, they had you know, their their own festival brewed original beer, right as many festivals do, the kind of you know, partnership thing. It was called cavity fluid, and I was drinking a couple of pips of that stuff going around and just again fully immersing myself in the you know, the specific again niche brutal death metal culture. I love observing things like at any again kind of boutique festival that I go to, whether it be the black metal side like a Fortress, or you know, the hardcore side like an Outbreak, even a straight up more old school classic death metal festival, I would be expecting to see vinyl everywhere. Slam and brutal death metal is not a vinyl culture. I saw maybe one for sale the entire weekend. Instead, ced bins everywhere, mounds and mounds and mounds of brutal death metal and slam CDs, like that's the medium for that specific thing, and everyone's like going buy your CDs. It's like it's the genuine again, the medium of choice for this specific subculture. And when I was looking around again the area it did feel like this, you know, built by brutal death metal people for brutal death metal people, their own sort of mini you know city, if you like, of a mecha of all of this kind of stuff. I'm not going to go through and review every single band I saw, because with something like off the Fest, it is it is a musically monotonous festival, Like you have to very much get that in mind. We are talking such a specific subcategory of brittle death metal that obviously people who are going to this love that thing and lap it up and are very excited about all these different bands who are playing. But to describe again how every single band kind of played, it's a real, I don't want to say, an endurance test, but it's like you have to put yourself in the mindset of, you know, appreciating just gutta or blasting violence for you know, two to three days straight.
Speaker 3: No. Yeah, it's a more extreme version when I go to like my pure hardcore festivals and it's like, yeah, that's a hardcore band.
Speaker 2: That's a hard band, that's a hog band.
Speaker 3: But this is like draining version of that, because you are just going to be like ahead by just the most relentless blasts and like toilet vocals.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know if you're if you like relentless blast and toilet vocals, then there was certainly more than a healthy yeah, more than a healthy healthy of them. And you know, the majority of the bands that I saw were you know, pretty pretty great and pretty reliable you know, providing that thing. The very first band I saw all weekend was a band called strangle Wire, and they were actually maybe one of the more slightly classic death metal leaning out of all the bands who were on the bill, and from there it just got again like more, more and more blasty and gutta role and you know, sloppy and all that kind of stuff. Lots and lots of like this song's from an EP called repeatedly over the weekend. It's like, yeah, cool, I'll look that one up later, I'll check it out. But it was a really really fun time again being there the whole weekend, whole environment. I saw some of the bandshe I do want to kind of specifically call out my favorite band on the Saturday. So the first day that I was there was a band called Butcher EBC who were a gorgrind band who had come over from Japan for it, which is the other thing, like they're not just booking local bands, they're flying bands in right and there. I think there was at least two or three bands coming from Asia and Butcher ABC coming from Japan. Having that gor grind edge there again, they were surrounded by a lot of like you know, brutal death metal bands who were pretty relentlessly you know, blasting that kind of affair, having that gorgrind edge where there's a little bit of punk and a little bit of crust it like it gave their riffing like a different kind of feel. I particularly want to point out that, you know that a Japanese gorgrind band, the Japanese, they're gonna they're gonna put some effort in to a little bit crazy with it, you know what I mean, And they're just going to have this like, you know, fucking maniac vibe coming off of it. And a band called Butcher ABC is absolutely the band that you would go to see with that and the front man he had a gas mask on.
Speaker 2: That was this band.
Speaker 1: One of the sickest things. They had a gas mask on. But if you imagine the sort of you know, the mouth whole vent thing that you have on a gas mask, this guy's microphone he didn't have a mic stand. His microphone was just connected plugged directly into the mouthpiece of the gas mark. So as he was walking around, he just had his his mic permanently attached to the front of his face. And this is crazy work. This is unbelievable that such a sitting visual. It was awesome. And he also he was wearing a bloody like Butcher's apron as obviously Butcher ABC is going to do and on his blood the butcher's apron. He had the slayer shon o mercy goat sewn into his apron. This is this is exemplary form.
Speaker 4: Like, this is exactly how its to be done. This is perfect the Butcher's like apron. And the gust was that that's so like Japanese splatterpunk and all. Yeah thing it's given that exact vibe. I mean, that's really cool.
Speaker 1: So they were wicked Ford and Again my favorite band I saw on the first day. The first day was the day that Development were meant to headline, who were certainly the band who I most wanted to see because development of the again, the niche and the type of death metal, the offul first book. Development are one.
Speaker 2: Of the transcended.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, they're one of the pioneers. They're, you know, arguably the pioneering band of like slam there's like a sub sub you know, niche genre. They're one of the most legendary bands, and they just put out that EP a couple of weeks ago, which is fucking sick as anything. So I was really excited to see them. Unfortunately, like maybe twenty four hours before the Friday, the first day of the event. They had to pull out because they had like visa rejection stuff, which was a real shame. And they have said that going to try and get development back for next year, which would be great, but just in terms of again giving the festival, it's props any scenario like that were suddenly organizers having lost the biggest band on their lineup twenty four hours where it's meant to begin, have to like you know, pull something out of the bag. I have massive respect for that. And they ended up I know that they you know, they said that they have like went around and asked various bands if they could do be a replacement headline at this kind of thing, you know, twenty four hours. No one was really available to them to do it. But they end up getting Regurgitation, who, like I said, were I think, you know, they're a band from America, so they'd flown in. They're also one of the older bands on the lineup like that. Their first record is in like the late nineties, so they are more of a heritage band compared to you know, newer upstarts. But they were playing on the Sunday. They basically got them to play sets on both days, so they were around and they filled in playing on the Saturday as well, And like I said, just you know, any scenario like that where you have to go to you know, panic stations, I'm always you know impressed, and I think it's worthy of, you know, tipping the hat for when something like that is produced. So and you know, fair play of Regurgitation as well for playing double sets on both days. Again. Their album is called Tales of Necrophilia from the late nineties, and it's got this proper like I always like when you look at a brutal death miericle from that era, and it's got some really grotty hand drawn cover art as opposed to like the more digitally painted sort of stuff you get in the twenty first century. I think it looks cooler, and they've got one of those. Bizarrely, I thought they were gonna do they have a Suffocation cover on one of their one of their releases, and I thought they might do that. Instead they went nowhere in England, we're gonna cover Black Sabbath for you, and they ended their set with a cover of Into the Void, but I cannot tell you which obviously, I mean, that's my favorite Sabath song. I'm having a good time to it. But I always find specifically brutal death metal bands covering something like Sabbath or even you know Priest or anything old like that is such a hilarious switch of their vibe because they don't swing in the way that bill Ward swings. I mean, so you suddenly again you've got non stop, relentless blasting and Gutta Rules and then you've got that band going. But you know, sure it was a fun way to in the first day. The second day had a good handful of you know worthy bands. I want to mention gutter All Slug, who, like I said, were one of the headliners of one of the first like either the first year or the second year of Awful Fest. And that was the thirstie that I paid attention to because Gutta All Slug. Myke like this again the slam scene and this kind of again really undergradar aple death metal scene. It is something that I enjoy. I like it the best bands in the genre. I will always have a place for my time of like again, listening to every single new band I came across in this kind of style, I sort of really peaked with it around like twenty thirteen ish, and then again I went and found more like, you know, the more the other side of underground death metal. That's maybe more where I live, you know today. But around that point in time, around twenty thirteen ish, there was a handful of albums that came out that have kind of gone on to be like some of the you know, kind of scene cult classics. So you had like the the Abominable Putridity album that came out around there, and you had like the first Catalepsy album, and you had Megalodon by Guttural Slug, which is a nineteen minute it's like this label as an album, but it's nineteen minutes long, and one of the songs on it is a cover, so it's basically like a you know, a mini album EP type thing. But when I was again sort of you know, sixteen seventeen years old and I was this his bands, that was one of the things that you know, came out around that time, and it made its mark with me, and I used to listen to this like again utterly putrid, stinky but vocal slam record that's again it's like nineteen minutes long, so you can play it all the time. I used this dot a lot, and when I saw that gutural slug we're headlining one of those early editions of off of Fest, I couldn't believe it because A, I'm pretty sure that whatever that show was was their live debut, like basically like ten years part of a real galibrat situation, right, like basically ten years past the Megalodon record coming out. I was like, ten years later, what do you mean there's so much demand and love for that ratty ass album that I used to listen to that you're coming back and you know, making your live debut headlining again like a slam all day type of event. I was like, this is awesome, Like I love that they're still around and people have, you know, you still like you know, have a place in their heart for this and that, and then you know, coming back again for this one. They had some tech issues and stuff, so they only got to play like a twenty five minute set, but they were fucking great because they gen I'm gonna say they had like riz compared to most of the bands who were playing, Like the stage presence of these guys, YEA, you know it's not fucking David Lee Roth, right, but like you know, they were you know, throwing themselves around and getting people to move, and the singer was getting people to you know, bouncing all this kind of stuff. And when they played one of the songs, they played Hack Saw Surgery, which is one of the songs from the Megalodon EP. I don't know if these were band provided.
Speaker 2: I want to ask about this when I saw the video as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know if these were band provided, like I know, hate Breeds balls or whatever, or if people or people have brought them specially for it. But as soon as they started playing a song for the Megalodon record, all over the crowd, these inflatable sharks started getting thrown and flying around, and like, either way, I I hope, you know, it's fun either way, but I do hope that the people just brought it because if it's again, the idea that the Megalodon record has in this like cult cult scene garnered such a beloved and there were people singing along to fucking Hack Saw Surgery around me. The idea is garnered such a reputation that people know when to whip out the inflatable plastic sharks for where they're playing it and they had like Megalodon hot sauce at their merchstad as well. This is amazing, this is so great. I'm annoy This guy played a little bit earlier before I managed to get there, but I wanted to see as well. There was an artist called Lympho Edema, which is a one man Irish gore noise project, so literally one bloke on stage, not playing an instrument, just you know, jumping around doing doing gurgly toilet vocals with a really fucking noisy, you know, musical backing trap thing going on. And I saw some videos of him and he had like a severed foot on a chain that he was just dragging around the stage, swinging around his head. Apparently he covered break stuff as well. Would have been a lot of.
Speaker 3: Songs you could have pulled out.
Speaker 1: I wish i'd have seen that. That sounds like a lot of fun. But I was talking to one of the organizers at the festival afterwards and they said like, apparently that's the largest venue a gore noise artist has ever played in, and I was like, you know what, again, it's not it's not Wembley Arena, but I can believe it, and that's pretty incredible that like, you know, something like that that is the most again like silly, obscene, extreme kind of vibes. You can imagine it's been able to brought forward to this. I mean like similarly, during Gutterall Slug, there was a in sort of you know the other front of the stage where there's like a sort of disabled you know, there are a beep of people with a wheelchairs quatching from the side. It was a great bit when an amputee was just waving his prosthetic leg around during during Gutterall Slug. I was like, these people they know have to to you know what I mean, like they know that the occasion demands. There was a brittle up a band called Epicardiectomy. There. Singer had one of the craziest mullets I've ever seen, but again full on, full of mullets, lamb vibes. He looked like an electric core boy. But if he wasn't wearing a wig, you know, like that's the exact picture that was that was going on there. But I also want to mention, of course the bandy closed the festival. The head line they're on the Sunday it was Faultchy who are I'm going to say, of all the bands I've just listed, maybe the band who if you have a casual interest in death metal, you might recognize that name somewhere around there, and not just because it is also the name of Italian horror film director. Of course, all of their you know, songs in subject matter is all based around that kind of realm. They are Italian and they have like I don't think we've spoken about them on the show, weirdly, but they've become like pretty popular. They're probably the most like the breakout brutal death metal band.
Speaker 2: They've crossed over to my like again, even beyond me being.
Speaker 3: A fan of Faulty's movies, Like they kind of came onto my raid and I was like, oh.
Speaker 1: This is cool death metal. I like, yeah. I think that they're more on the level of bands like, you know, the Maggot Stump bands like two hundred, Stab Wounds and Frozen Soul and these kind of bands who are kind of yeah yeah, and they do have a bit more in common with that sonically as well. Which again, after a weekend of like full on again real brutal death metal, it was cool hearing a band like go a little bit more mid pace a little bit more stompy, getting a bit more groove in it, you know what I mean. But they were also the band who having you know, played some larger tours and stuff like that. You could tell that was a bit more going on with like the stage presentation and stuff like that because they intro their set with a I think they have some kind of like short film or something that's been produced like for them, which is basically an original like faultchy style horror movie. Like it's like it's it's you know, made and released now, but like visually and I was watching it and I was like, all the hallmarks there. You've got like the CPR toned flashback at the beginning with people like knocking a hole in a wall and looking at what like horrible putrid things being you know, found behind it. You've got like the the eyebel gore and all these kind of like you know, the kind of you know, the film stock that it's that it's done on. It made me smile a lot, and this was the set that you know, as a like a huge fan of both death metal and not just horror movies, but specifically like, Yeah, is one of my favorite directors It's a perfect cross breeding of my you know, my interests, and this was the set that, at the very end the weekend just had me going like I love this shit. I love death metal, I love horror, I love seeing a band do. They've released a record called duck Face Killings, which is all based around the New York Ripper movie. I like again on the screens the video showing like really nasty scenes from the New York Ripper, which is like one of the again most upsetting, fulchy movies, but doing that with like fucking lyrics coming up on the screen as well, and doing like really uh heavy, sadistic kind of death metal with this. It all worked together and they were a very fine end to the occasion. So a really good time off of first and like I said, I mainly come away impressed with They announced a whole lot of bands for next year's event as well. I haven't got the full list of them in front of me, but it was like a full on you know, like when you go Toloodstock or Fortress or something and they have the video screen where they're like after a certain band. They announced loads of things for next year and that's like, you know, ten or twelve bands or something like that, and there is a level of I imagine compared to when you know, the first of this ran, there was a level of sort of professionalism to how this you know ran and appeared and everything that I watched, The thought, you know, fucking good for you, Like, you're making a really good go of this, of turning this like very niche, extreme substyle of music into like a gathering for people, you know. And I came away impressed with the again the sort of the scale of what they're doing, how it's being run and carving out that niche for themselves. So obviously it won't be for anyone, but if you are at all interested in, you know, the world of the absolute sloppiest toilet slam that you could want to want to hear, the novelfess is becoming you know, a real like hub of it. And I think it's a very good thing that we've got something like that. It's always good when again, a niche like that, whatever the niche is, is having something of you know that again level of professionalism kind of catering to it. So perhaps off to him. Good stuff. Let us go into the news for the rest of this show now, and we have to obviously shift hones quite drastically because last Friday, as last week's shows UH went out, we got hit with a piece of news that I think all of us were hoping we wouldn't have to get this soon, because we obviously knew that Luke Colla from Sick of it All was ill and he had been for you know, a year, eighteen months something like that. But I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we were so hoping that he would pull through and that he would would would beat the cancer that he was suffering with. But last Friday we got the news that he had passed away. And this is the loss of a truly global icon for the world of hardcore and even beyond that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, what's Sick of it All did to put hardcore on the map in the nineties, like like cannot be overstated. And Lou Colla just I said, like the discord when this happened, like maybe the greatest hardcore from man ever, Like what like everything you would want the guy front of a hard fan to be Lou Colla was that I saw sick for a few times and always just untouchable lives bringing the best vibes but just sounding so intense and like like like hardcore sort of like swagger and aggression, but positive vibes. And and I said, like, yeah, when we were all hoping, you know, Paul through and all that, and when it when the news sort here, I was just like this one, this one crushes, Like really, this one really hurts because just when the guys and again you see all the outpoms of tributes and everyone has a good story to tell about Luke, and again it's so it's something we have to do this again when we talk about these these legends that were just so beloved that everyone has some story about how.
Speaker 1: You haven't heard a bad word about Luke Colla ever, Yeah.
Speaker 3: But everyone has got their story about how Luke Colla basically gave their band a leg up and put and helped establish them and he was just sort of advocate for everything I love.
Speaker 2: About hardcore and the community around it.
Speaker 3: I mean again, like the step Down music video and how that changed the game and how that kind of opened the world of mo washing to so many people, where you had this video highlighting these specific hardcore nis and washing, but it actually like got people going, oh shit, that's what this is it And I say it changed the profile of hardcore.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean like we we love sick of it all right, Like we were speaking earlier this year on the nine in ninety seven special we did about Built to Last, What a great what a great record that is like their first you know, four at least albums are all time classics of hardcore punk. You have Built the Last that we said that we have Scratched the Surface, which is their you know, biggest breakthrough moment before that, you have just look around and you know, Blood, Sweat and Notice, which is the one of the finest hardcore albums of the late eighties, one of the defining albums of New York hardcore as a movement, you know, and then again they make several more on top of that. And this is the extent that you know, when when Luke Cola was first you know, announced that he was sick, they pulled off of the Damnation lineup that they were going to be on and they were going to be performing you know, the thirtith anniversary of Scratch the Surface, and we got Discharge in that slot instead, and we do our like Damnation kind of album club thing often before Damnation's rolling around, and I had ear marked Scratch the Surface, like I'd held off on Scratch the Surface for two years past that point because we were so hoping that we could get that return show of them, you know, once he's better coming and filling that slot that they were meant to do and giving us set like that, And you know, I'd reserved to Scratch the Surface album club for when Sick of it All were able to return to the stages where they belong. And it fucking sucks so bad that, you know, we've not been able to do that in that way, But I would argue that, or at least imagine that throughout the decade of the nineties, no band and no one person as the voice of that band introduced more people to hardcore than Lou Collar and Sick of it All, whether that is being arguably the first, certainly the most to that degree hardcore band riding out outside of just their local clubs and their local niche to fly the flag for that music on the biggest stages that they feasibly could, like being one of the first hardcore bands to play major rock festivals, and you hear like stories.
Speaker 2: Of their like legendary reading like nice.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they played it a load of times. Yeah, but like.
Speaker 2: Then a real legendary on work, and they were like replaced.
Speaker 3: They were like stepping in because limb Biscuit pulled out or something, and it like.
Speaker 2: That, holy shit, this band.
Speaker 1: And you can there are There's no better way in that moment in time, in that era to be to have your eyes open to the world of hardcore than by seeing a sick of it all set right who all throughout their entire career were a legendarily brilliant live band. And then of course there are you know again things like you're saying, like the step Down video and they're punching through into you know, like again mainstream media to some degree. And one of the things that I love about step Down as that kind of again as their biggest song, it's like you say, it's got the video that is for many people basically their first introduction to what a hardcore show looks like, yeah, and what are the practice of a show like that? But also it's their biggest song, it's their breakthrough into the mainstream media. And the chorus is in the ununderground integrity lies within, like it's just it's it's an anthem for the scene where they've came from, and for not courting the mainstream in any way that would at least be you know, trading your own values, you know, like you only go there if you can be the you that you always would be anyway. And there is something so brilliantly, you know, empowering and truthful about those kind of lyrics, and that's true for basically every song Luke Collar ever wrote lyrics for, you know, those lyrics of unity and community, and you know, all those things were him for him, were true because he lived it right again, these these ideas of treating everyone respectfully, of uplifting your community, all these kind of things, these are all the things that come through in every story that we've heard about Blue Collar for the last week, and certainly you know before that as well. So none of that you know idea in the lyrics when you hear them, is in any way inauthentic, right, Like, it's it's absolutely true to who he was and who they were as a band, and you because of that, on top of the quality of the music they made, you could not ask for a better band to be the get the head of the battering ram for hardcore and that the representatives for that entire subculture.
Speaker 2: No, not at all.
Speaker 3: Again, it was just like it's that whole thing like being as real as it gets from the culture but avoiding the kind of like negative sort of things that come with thatt as well, and always kind of uplifted despite being true to the underground of ideals of hardcore. And it just like meant like whenever you saw like civil there was no elitism, there was none of that kind of vibe to them, but it was just kind of like, we're all in this together, let's.
Speaker 2: Fucking take on the world.
Speaker 3: And it just meant it was just such a like joyous sort of thing, like Sick of All shows like the Times of Some was just some of the most joyous hardcore shows to go to because it was just everyone going absolutely mental, jumping on each other's head, swinging fists like well like when when when they drop its clobbering time. The fists are flying, but it's still all in unity and that's what I love a hardcore and Sick of All well just the best at showing that no matter what venue size they were playing, where they were, it was always just the coolest thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I saw Sick of it All a few months before Lou Colla announced that he was sick and came off the road, right. This was that sort of May ish of twenty twenty four, And by the end of that year they again they were not on the road, and I had not seen Sick of it All at that point in time. And it was the the thirtieth anniversary Scratch the Surface tour. They played you know, most of that record and then a bunch of other songs as well, and they were fucking fantastic, as I'm sure they were at every single show they played, you know, prior to that date. This was just my chance to be, like, they're there in my vicinity, I'll do it. And I feel so so happy that I did, right, that I took that opportunity when they were near me to go and see them, because that was the last opportunity that I was going to get to see Sick of it All. And I think, you know, there's a lesson there when you see some of these bands who are you know that maybe their bands who even if you've not seen them before, they might always seem to be around, right, So you go, oh, I miss them this time, I'll catch them the time after. Sometimes you're not going to be able to. And if I had passed up on that Sick of it All show, then I would be here right now saying, oh I never got to see Sick of All. I wish I had, And I will hold onto that one show that I got at the last possible moment where it was available to me as just a brilliant testament to not only Sick of It All's powers, but just that idea, you know, in theory, you know that you should shouldn't take these bands for granted, that you should go out and see these artists when you know, are able to. Because I'm so so glad that I did. But yeah, I tremendous loss to the heavy music community and Blue Collar a legend, absolutely like one of the not just a hardcore legend, but I think because of the way Sick of it All we're able to bring that to so many people an all round, you know. Yeah, TNM, tapestry, heavy music, guitar music, whatever you want to call it, one of the one of the greats. So rest in peace, Luke Collar, an absolute hero for and through.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't really adny More that that just sums up and is just a huge loss of Yeah, rest in peace.
Speaker 1: Yeah absolutely, And if you don't know sick of it all and you've never heard those records any of that, like again that that run of records they made from the ladies and.
Speaker 3: Going to the mid noughties, Death to Tyrants. That is such a good naughties hardcore record, Take the Night Off. It's one of my favorite sick of All songs.
Speaker 2: Like that song has got fucking tracks on it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great band, great guy, lu collar, Rest in peace. This should raise our spirits at the very least, we're gonna be on to new mus and what can we do to do that? We can talk about Ben Sevenfold, who surprise dropped an EP this week called statica following up of course, the Life Is But a Dream album released three years ago in twenty twenty three.
Speaker 2: Eight only been three years.
Speaker 1: A four track EP, it's about eighteen minutes long. This band have lost the fucking plot. This is unbelievable.
Speaker 3: This is like I mean, like I was a hater of Life Is But a Dream, So I like at this stage, you know, I've not liked an Avenged Sevenfold record, not loved one since like the early twenty tens, I've not liked like housinging is decent, but I've been off on Avenge for a good while, and so I'm kind of, I guess a bit predisposed to be more negative to what they do.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I think this might be the worst thing they've ever done. I think this is abysmal in so many ways. And like, here's the thing, right, I'm gonna go off on a tangent, but I've seen no some of the defense of this record is like, oh, it's experimental, Oh it's different, all that, And I'm like, we've got to have higher standards because for a lot of mil bands, being experimental is doing electronical pop music terribly and then they get praised for it, and it's like, you've got if.
Speaker 2: You've gotta do it, do it well, like completely, Like.
Speaker 3: The Charlie XCX album that came out the same day, right, that's her doing something a bit different for her. It's her experimenting, but she's doing it well, and I'm like that should be praised. We shouldn't just praise bands experimenting when they're rubbish at it. We've got to have higher standards. I'm sorry, I can't get on board with some of the defenses I've seen thrown out.
Speaker 2: For this EP. I think it is unlistenable.
Speaker 3: I mean, like again X compaisons act because they both like drowned in auto tune.
Speaker 1: But I was thinking more about the strokes, So we're not a bad I care about at all. But I've just observed some discourse at the strokes of RS's reason, and everyone's complaining that Julne Casablancas basically sings the entire thing with like warbly autotune on. It's just a bizarre sensations going around, And for me with avenge Is, I to a degree, like a part of me finds immense joy that this is what they're doing because it's so funny, like this ep.
Speaker 2: It is funny.
Speaker 3: There are things about this I have found hilarious and kind of like I can get behind that for a laugh, like some of the things we're gonna get onto and the sort of follow.
Speaker 1: Up this ep made me howl at various points. Matt is fucking terrible throughout the entirety of this, and you can't tell if that's even you know, because of his vocals or just what you know it's it's coming through, but Matt being autotuned for the entirety of this basically is so funny. And there's a it's the third song Rejoice, which has got this. I'll give them this one. That song is catchy because it's so funny. This all around our people of the world, you drawers with this awful like kind of you know, curmudgeingly rock griff going on, with this auto tune balling going on. Is like, that's the song on the EP that's trying to at least be kind of funky and danceable compared to the rest, which I don't know what they're trying to do, but it's so funny to me, it's so rubbish. It's like when you hear the absolute worst of the worst Megadeth song, for example, and you're howling at a song like super Collider or whatever because it.
Speaker 2: Super Clyder sounds like good compared to this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but just that at least that one song. Maybe there's some kind of ironic appreciation of me because it just it makes me laugh so much. But this is a calamity of an EP that even you know, life is but a dream. I know, obviously, a very divisive record. There are people who love that record, we certainly know at least one of them. But there are there are people who love that record just as strongly as the people who don't love it, you know, dislike it. But I think even those people are struggling to come up with the defense for this. Because Life's But a Dream. I can at least vaguely appreciate the the tapestry of it and what they're trying to go for this. And one of the things that I, you know, didn't like about that record is the idea that events unfold. They seem absolutely fucking fixated for some reason or like they want to be daft punk so bad, like of all the experiments that are on Life Is But a Dream that to me sounded really fucking like, you know, already out of date and hackneyed. Was some of the you know, auto tuned, fucking French house like dart punk impersonation stuff. The fact that that's the thing that they have like decided to continue chasing right on the follow up EP and go even further with it's so rubbish and it's so rubbish at it, But the idea that they have of like this is how they you know, write the future right like by by chasing that particular rabbit hole. As funny as I find this ep, and I do find it to be funny, and as a continuation of Vice But a Dream, you can tell that, you know, in some sense I do. I can applaud how little shits they give about what people are wanting them to do. Right. But it has been considering there was so many years before Life's But a Dream where they were working on music. That record took a long time to arrive. Right. The Stage turns ten years old this year, as we discussed one episode not long ago, and I do like the Stage obviously, that is the proggiest of their records that they had made up to that point. So they were already moving away from balls to the wall hard rock heavy metal, right it's still got like songs, Yeah, well there are moments on that like songs like Goddamn and stuff where they are Those were essentially the last time that Avenged wrote rock songs. And it being ten years since Avenged have written a song that is at least id identifiable as being you know, classic Avenge sevenfold. I think the song Nobody from Life Buttuy and that was the only song I liked on that record because it, again, it sounded like Avenge To me, it sounded like a continuation of the stage. But it been ten years since they've essentially been a rock band like this. They to me sound like they are so bored of being rock band of N sevenfold, right, And on one hand, you could maybe applaud that of being like, yeah, you know, they're not doing something just because that's what they are expected to do. They're following their creative passions or whatever. But I think there also comes a point where it's like, if you are, you know, multimillionaire rock band of N Sevenfold, and you are one of the biggest metal bands of your generation, your festival headliners to all of your rock fans and stuff, and you sound like you would rather be anywhere else but playing rock music to rock fans. It's like they what they've done with this is they've already they're on a tour right now with Good Charlotte co headlining, which I don't know how the fuck that again, considering what I've just said, how is that a match? This was already funny when it was just that they were touring. Life is but a dream they were playing with Good Charlotte.
Speaker 2: But they've got that one song together that's a banger.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, but they have also now on this on this tour, they've come out and done opening set for themselves as STATICA, And.
Speaker 2: I quite like this.
Speaker 3: I think this is like the one highlight I can draw from this whole thing is making Good Charlotte fans watch this live.
Speaker 2: Is genuinely quite funny.
Speaker 1: It is funny because you know, the Good Charlotte fans don't want to hear that. The event seven Fall fans don't want to hear that alone, the Good Charlotte ones. But I just I don't know why they're there in the first place. Like if it has been ten years since you have been interested in releasing a record that plays with at least the you know, the attitude and the groove of a rock band, and you would rather be doing anything else to the point that you are releasing fucking god awful sort of again house inspired, I don't know, prog electronics or whatever, instead of being a rock band. Why are you even like you go and do this as Statica. You know, like it sounds like they are so done with the functions of right riff based guitar music whatever you might want to call that, And it just sounds to me like, I don't know, there's a weird fine line between like following your inhibitions and being a faith no more or someone and you know, like breaking open the boundaries and then also just sounding like you're fucking fed up with like and tired of having to do anything like that and somehow avenged to meet They sound so tired of having to be anything but whatever the fuck they decided to do.
Speaker 3: Now I sort agree that the most, Like I don't understand how certain members of evenge can actually kind of be enjoying this creator as well, because like musically, for like you have a guitar vertress one like the sort of modern legendary guitar players since the Gates, and he is completely just like wasted on these z pieces and maybe he is just fed up off, you know, ripping out these like insane solos all like that. But like, I don't understand how like the rest ofman can kind of be creatively satisfied like like this to me feels like Match is his like brain child. He is like the what like the mad scientists behind this or like, and again I could be wrong, the whole band could be all in on this.
Speaker 2: Together, but again I just wonder.
Speaker 3: I was like, what do you get sort of creatively fulfilled from doing this at the.
Speaker 2: Same time, because musically it's not like interesting electronics.
Speaker 3: The the small sort of shreds of like rock bands ort of DNA still haven't there. The riffs are really lumpen and like kind of like static and not interesting.
Speaker 1: That Rejoice riff is hilariously crap.
Speaker 3: Like and they don't gel with the electronics side of things at all. So I'm like, do you are you doing this because you just want to do different? Or like, are you happy that you are like one of the like sort of the one great guitar players who can be just completely phoning it in on some of the worst rifts you're gonna hear this year.
Speaker 2: The whole thing just confused me.
Speaker 3: And again I do think there is there is fun to be had with like the idea of them playing. Also, they're behind a screen so you can't properly see them, and it's kind of like trying to be like weird and that being in front of like a good tile at Evention World co headline that that's just a funny image. But at the same time, I think it's such a one and done, like you've heard it now and like I've listened to the CV twice and on second now because I get nothing from going back to this. It like the novelty wears off before you finish your first listen. And again that's why I just think this defense of it's experimental just it just doesn't hold hold hold any war to me, it's one of the worst things I've heard here, maybe the worst it, like I think is abysmal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's it's one of those amazing things that when you say, you know, multiple members of the band to evolve with this, it amazes me that they all left to get out in this state, I suppose, because you would think at least one person in this very talented, you know, professionally seasoned group of studio musicians would go, are we sure about this? This sounds like bollocks exactly, like are we sure we're going to put that autoto vocal out there? And this production mess and all of this, and it's it staggers me the again, the lowering of the standards that seem to have happened at the same time that the you know, the freethinking this or whatever you want to call it in the music that's being made has kind of, you know, gone the other way. But I, like I said, it's all well and good to be, you know, chasing your creative dream and doing whatever you want. And I would never say not to do that, but I think it has reached a state other end where they so clearly do not care about us as rock fans and as a rock community. I suppose because they're not interested in making that kind of music that why should we especially care about them? Right? I'm just saying that that two way relationship of them having gotten bored with us and severed the ties, I salute them, and I laugh at what they're doing and go you. Mainly, I listened to Trashed and Scattered the other day because it just came on and I was like, fucking hell, what an amazing song. This band used to be so great. And the idea that like the biggest metal band of their era basically has ended up at this state utterly adrift where only the most mental people in their family still like them is you could never have written it like it, truly has surprised us all. But like I said, if they care so little about appealing to what we think, right, that's fine, But also why should I care to follow them? Right? So that's I think with this, maybe they'll fucking shut me up next time, and I sure hope they do. But with this following the last album, that's kind of where I'm at with Avenge. So there you go, other new music. I guess you could be excited by a Tuniaomi solo album if you're not interested in whatever the hell Avenger they're doing. He has got it's his first solo album in like twenty years. Right, We've had a you know, Black Sabbath albums in that time, two of them if you count the Heaven and Hell record as a Black Sabbath album. His last one's in two thousand and five. This one is called from the Dark and it is going to be coming out later this year October the twenty third. There's a song out from it as well, called World Alone. And I will say this song where obviously it's a you know, it's an aging, you know, solo you know rock record from you know, a star of Obviously, obviously we're never going to be not interested in not applaud Tony Iomi. But you know what I mean, right, this isn't you know it's a It's a solo record, is what it is. Yeah, I will say this song is better than some of the ones that I checked out when we did our Sabbath special and you'll be doing like weird post grunge records with Glenn Hughes and stuff. This song is better than that. But the lineup on this he's joined by across the album the Norwegian vocalist Yan Lander, who is one of those guys who he sings on everything like he's never There's no album that I could name or even a project where I go like, yeah, I'm a fan of that with Yorn Lander on it, but he's just everywhere, Like he's one of those like for higher rock guys who's just always around. Yeah, but he suits it well enough, so he's the singer on it. There's also Becky Baldwin on the bass, who has been playing with the you know, the most recent touring incarnation of Merciful Fate. Right, she's a younger, younger player, but she's been Merciful Fates recent bassist and a drummer called Carl Brazil who was played with Feeder, James Blunt and Robbie Williams. Tony Iomi has gotten the first procedurally generated album lineup. How do we get those people the game?
Speaker 3: Can he hooks up with that drummer when he did the thing.
Speaker 2: That I didn't imagine that you imagine that song.
Speaker 1: He was a song with Robbi Williams, You having a Mayde hit the nail on the head. That that is a good shout. And Becky Baldwin is you know, again a talented metal for higher player who can be evolved with this kind of stuff. But there is now one degree of separation between the Robbie Williams band in Merciful Fate. Somehow through this, like I said, the first randomly generated album line up of players, and one of them is called Carl Brazil.
Speaker 2: What a name.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable, but yeah fits as well though just having this when when we do through the store of those save of lineups and yeah, that special.
Speaker 2: This just feels so unbrand.
Speaker 1: At the same time, Bev Bevan will have some symbol overdubs somewhere on this record. I can guarantee that. And there was also on the US it front, What a week for it? A debut single released by one Sherry Moon Zombie, wife of Rob Zombie, met because she was a dancer in you know his you know stage show in the late nineties. Most commonly known to Rob Zombie fans through his movies because she has starred in some role or another in basically every movie he's ever made. And I can speak as against someone who has seen the majority of Rob Zombies' movies, if not all of them, and follows that again that kind of horror culture and everything. A lot of people fucking hate Sherry Moon Zombie like they treat her like NEPO wife essentially, right. You know, Rob Zombie loves his wife.
Speaker 2: He's a wife guy.
Speaker 1: He is sure that he puts his wife in everything he's ever made. And people go, oh, she's absolutely talentles she's a terrible actor. I can't believe I have to watch Scherry Moon Zombie and another Rob Zombie film whatever, and there's always, you know, some trace of misogyny going on with that, I find. But I can just imagine what those people are saying or thinking when they saw this headline of Shery Moon Zombie's song. I am always quite endeared to Sherry Moon Zombie because I mean, I think she's genuinely good in the Lords of Salem. I think that in you know, I like her in the Firefly Family movies, where again, her mad kind of cackling demeanor that she brings. That is one of the things about those movies that has become iconic and you wouldn't imagine it without them. Is she always good in everything? No? Not really, but again, you're signing up for a rob Zombie movie. You're signing up with the whole cast of characters in the family right that you go into. So I'm always again and I like that they just are creative partners in this way, like it. So I think it's just very wholesome and very endearing. But this song I called I Love My My Zombie. No, sorry, I Love my Robot. Yeah, I have just put zombiere because he name Zombe, isn't it. But no, I Love My Robot is a It's an anti AI song. The chorus is like, a I don't need that wherever the fuck she says, and it's all about her being like I write my own lyrics all this kind of stuff, and I support the sentiment. I don't know if this song is a good argument in favor of human creativity. The song to really put it to the robots how much he can do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like I am sympathetic, like and I get behind the sentiment.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, like the idea of like this can like kitchy, Like that's a thing with the chill in the channel that they're hitting with what like robs On shiming somebody's.
Speaker 2: Kind of whole brand is so I can I can get behind that. It just is really bad. It's not good, like that's for trying. Like it's clear that like be that again. I think there is that there is like passion as going into this.
Speaker 3: I don't think this is kind of like a throne to thing that that they're just doing it like that they like she clearly wants to have a music cred to go along with some like he think he shot the video and for her and all.
Speaker 2: That like fair enough, Like there is a definitely cleverative effort.
Speaker 3: Sometimes you just gotta, you know, say, when something is terrible, and this song is terrible.
Speaker 1: And sometimes you just have to have a laugh at a very silly piece of a beauty which is what we are doing here, not so sillily. Let's get onto something a little bit more serious. Neurosis their first show back since their entire you know, sort of re getting together, you know story that they've gone on this year. Fire in the Mountains Festival was this past weekend, which included the live debut of the New Look Neurosis. I watched you know, someone had filmed the whole set and they looked fucking great, like Aaron bringing this, He brings this really violent physical presence into the center of the stage, which I think is, you know, something that they needed to have. It's you know, someone bringing that in the band in this incarnation, and it looks fucking brilliant. They played the setless consisting of most of the new album and also the Tide from a Sun That Never Sets Lost from Enemy of the Sun, Distill watching the Swarm from Given to the Rizon and Ends of the Harvest and Times of Grace both from the Times of Grace album. Fucking great show looked like from again the New Look Neurosis. So we can only dream that they will know they have announce obviously a couple more shows in the US, but we can continue to dream that they will spread their black wings across the rest of the planet. But they go Neurosis have fully fully arrived into gear. Faith No More's first showbacks have been announced. They are going to be happening in Australia alongside System of a Down, which is a bit strange because I can't imagine the faith they More, even in their returning form, are as big as System of Down, because System of Down are one of like the genuine mega superstars of like you know, they play stadiums wherever they go. Right again here in the UK, they brought out Queens of the Stone Age download festival head binding band themselves as their hour set support band. You know, so I maybe they're gonna out of pure reverence and you know, probably a topic of the hat for again, what faith they More did to maybe allow a band that System Down and you know, noting the significance of their return everything, maybe it will be Builds the co headline, but in actual pure number ways, it's hard to imagine this being an equal co headline. But there you go. In January and February they are playing four dates Faith in Them All with System of a Down And just as I said, for neurosis. We keep our eyes peel to see where they will go next. Across the world. Ministry are winding down. They are doing one last album called Hate to Go, Takeout or Delivery, and a farewell tour that has included some UK dates announced as well in April of twenty twenty seven. So if you've not yet seen Ministry, I saw them at a bloodstock last year and I think that's probably my Ministry fixed. I don't necessarily feel grand need after that to go out and you know, see more. But if you haven't yet had that fix, just one fix, which I would recommend, lease you do it once, then April is the time to do it. Nails they say this year when they were trying Creator, they said we're going to be back later in the year, and they are back in the UK. They are doing a October tour, bringing Rotten Sound and Invunch with them, and they are playing in the UK two dates in London. The first one in the New Cross Inn is already long sold out, but there is so quickly yeah, but there is now another London date added in the larger venue of the Scala. They're also playing Glasgow, Leeds, Manchester and Birmingham, and I'm annoyed about this because they're playing Manchester and I will go. Of course, this is fucking great, but I'm annoyed that that extra London date of the Scala has fucking Wolf Brigade added onto that bill and none of the rest of the UK dates do, because that would be a perfect pairing for me. That's ideal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a good time.
Speaker 3: And I'm putting I missed on getting for the Nu Cross INChO because he just sold out like I was that Fanny thing and then sort of like I'm probably gonna.
Speaker 2: Have to go to that Scala show. But so Wolf we gave would be a fun time as well.
Speaker 1: Wolf again and Rotten Sound and Advunch as well.
Speaker 2: That's a good that's a good package.
Speaker 1: That's gnarly time. So I am very jealous of the whole Wolf Brigrade thing. But Nail's UK tour come around anyway. Good stuff. And we're gonna end off the news with two stories of member departures from bands, and I think both of them are quite interesting for different reasons. The first one is the one that I am more fucking disgruntled about. Andy La Roche, the longtime legendary league guitarist of King Diamond's band, has played with many many artists over the year as well. He is generally one of the all time great metal lead guitarists. Like he's one of those people where if anyone taps him for a guest solo, they fucking sing to the heavens about it because it's the perfect thing that you could, you know, imagine to nab. He again played on all of the classic King Diamond records from you know, the eighties and so on. He has announced that he has departed the King Diamond band. He is going to be continued playing with his other projects that he has, but he is no longer in King Diamond's band. He has been replaced by an old acquaintance of my mister Gus g former guitarist of Ozzy Osbourne's band, also of the power metal band fire Wind. He is now in the band with King Diamond, which he's a very fine guitarist. But losing Andy la Roche. Not only is this momentous in terms of like this is generally when you think of the classic great you know, frontman and lead guitarist pairings in band, obviously it's a very heavy metal equivalent. It's not exactly fucking Keith Richards and Mick Jagger, you know what I mean. But Angela Rock and King Diamond, who have done all those records together, is one of those perfect pairings that produced so much great work. And I thought it was still a great thing that when you go to see King Diamond live, you get to see aler Ope there standing, you know, right hand man doing those fantastic lead guitar parts that he does on this thing, and I think it's sad that that's no longer the case. But the thing that really gets my goat about this is the fact that that long awaited it has now been at least six years or so since it was announced King Diamond album has still not surfaced, and it's gone for so long that Andy La Roak is now no longer in the band. And when they have announced gus Gee's appointment, the statement is like, we can't wait to hear you know what gus Gie is going to bring creatively to new music and all this kind of stuff. And there were two songs that have been released King Diamond singles, both great songs. Which is annoying about this because I wanted to actually hear the fucking album, right. But if this album has taken so long, a lot of people are theorized maybe Andy's gotten fed and up of you know, fucking not actually releasing any music or whatever, so he's gone through his projects that do release music. But if this album has been so long in the making that they end up not even using, it ends up not being a fully andula roque, you know, written and performed record. It ends up being either entirely overwritten or some weird half and half mishmash of like old Angela Ropue material and then the new gust g material. I wanted this album, and I long accepted by this point because it's been a few years. I was like, Okay, when it comes, it comes. But now, having lost the legendary guitarist where I wanted to be on that fucking album, I'm like, why couldn't you put that album out before and left the band? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Yeah again, I'm not as in depth into the whole king diamond.
Speaker 1: I'm more invested in this than you.
Speaker 2: I don't, I know.
Speaker 3: He's obviously been like the iconic tach so long, and it is it is frustrating when like this, it feels like it might be tied to this album situation, and now the createstal prose to the album is even more fragmented that you don't know, are you going to get the definitive version of what that album was intended to be or this like sort of Frank and Sione, I can see if you are deepen on the Kingdom of thing. This is a real like frustrating, like frustrating kind of like twist in the event.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it presumably postpones the album even further, so it's it's probably never going to come out, That's what I think, Like, I think it's probably come out. That's such a fucking boner killer. But there you go. Andela Roquat, King Diamond, Gus gi In and very weirdly, Viaters Murder have appeared on stage with another new front man, their vocalist of the last three years, Tyler Miller, the guy they got to replace c J. McMartin at the end of still one of the craziest stories and sagas that we've watched unfold during the course of this decade. But he has been there for three years now. Unbelievably, I saw VIA's Murder live on the Parkway Drive tour that they did with him at the front. And while the last album got I think completely subsumed really by all of the drama that surrounded it. I thought the show was good when I saw them with him, right, But no statement or anything has been made here. It seems to have you know, you can only assume looking at some of the behind the scenes stuff and you know, people un following people on Instagram, and it was kind of shit that people have to you know, drag out to make judgments on anything that it doesn't look especially friendly right now, but that guy Tyler Miller has not appeared with them, and instead they have another new frontman, a guy called Jerry Grimefeld, who is an Australian rapper as well as a death metal vocalist. I presume that he's not going to be rapping so much in in Thiot's Murder, although of course rhythmic control at high speed is important. But yeah, weird that they have gone through another frontman here and Thyat's Murder, and maybe maybe they put out a great album at some point that writes everything. But as much as we applauded how that entire CJ situation kind of went down and how they ended up handling like fucking the heist of the century, right, what they managed to do it was ununbelievable, and they managed to maintain their kind of you know, personal standards while while doing so. It does feel like momentum has taken a knock, isn't it with this kind of stuff?
Speaker 3: Just I mean, it feels that the deaf core landscape has changed so much in the last couple of years as well, where that kind of like twenty ten's Guard of Bands have kind of like fallen by the way so a little bit. And again, mate, like just because the kids want the symphonic Death Corps stuff now or like the real like myspaces or throwback stuff, Lars Murder kind of sitting between, and so I wonder just if, like where they actually fit in the kind of current landscape of what death core is. And perhaps this is just kind of like a good opportunity for them to reset, to kind of like draw a line under everything that's happened before and be this new bias.
Speaker 2: Murder and they're gonna come back with a really good aldpotentition.
Speaker 3: But is it does just feel like for the last couple of years, they've kind of they felt just weirdly absent from the sort of like death core discussion and general like world of that sort of thing.
Speaker 1: Yes they have done, but there you go. That is the week in news. Over on the last Patreon, I would just use this opportunity to remind you, as I announced on last week's show, this upcoming week, we have got our album club pack, where we are going to be looking at space of the likes of Faith No More and their Angel Dust album. We are going to be looking at Social Distortion, We're going to be looking at Dead Can Dance, and we are going to be looking at a crazy mid noughties record from Ulva as well. Blood Inside are really again eclectic, mad cat bunch of albums going down in album Club pac Land. So you can hear that when that comes out this week over on the That's Not Fault Metal Patreon, we will be after that bringing you back to and M Does Horror. We're going to be talking about some of the mad shit that's happened in the last few months since we've not been doing these A little movie you might have heard of Record Obsession. We're going to be talking about the the latest Evil Dead movie that came out touching based on a couple other things as well, and the most recent thing that we have up there. If you have not checked out by this stage, why not The Corn That Special, The completed four part Corn Band Special, one of the single most influential things to happen to heavy music ever. We went in depth on all of it, every album they ever made, every bizarre collaboration, every impact we could think of on pop culture and the world around them, all wrapped up in a neat little bow at the end of the last episode. So if you want to hear that, then you can go and check that out over at patron dot com slash That's not mal and that is the best way to financially support this podcast if you dreamed of doing so as well. So thank you to everybody who gets involved with that. Let's ent today's show with the release round up two weeks worth, because last week was our reviews bag where we spoke about the likes of Loathe and the excerpts and Muse quite divisive again, you know, interesting to maybe dissect some of the places where we're not entirely seeing eye to eye with the creative vision. I suppose of some of these records. I hope that everyone's taking that. Well, maybe some people haven't, But there you go. That is all again in last week's episode. But we have some releases from last week that we didn't talk about to mention here as well. Where would we be if we weren't mentioning the fact that Water Parks have a new album, Their album Jinx is out of last week we also had speaking of I Guess Better pop punk No Pressure. That is the more hardcore gess of potpunk band fronted by Parker Cannon, isn't it from Yes? Yeah story he's a pretty good thing about this record.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean like it's one of the few good pop punk hams. It was surprise drop, so I like it kind of just came out of nowhere. Yeah, it's there's a good thing where all the good pop punk bands are kind of like hardcore Jason somewhere at the moment, and yeah, this is just more actual good pop punk and not the wet water Park shite.
Speaker 1: Yes, album is called NP Style. Then there is the you know, sort of Mongolian you know, folky metal flash rock band The Who. Then an album called hun Mad Ball New York hardcore legends. We may have lost sick of it all, of course, but there are still some of these bands out there, these legendary names, still holding it down. The new mad Ball record called Not Your Kingdom. I haven't checked out the mad Ball record yet, but any good sure like it.
Speaker 2: Is reliably like it's a mad Ball record.
Speaker 3: There's no surprises on but it also it just kind of hits the spot exactly how I want a mad On record too.
Speaker 2: I had a lot of fun with it.
Speaker 1: Yes. Then in more kind of psychedelic doom territories out on Sergent House, I believe there is resin that's ore e z n with an album called Cycles in the Infinite Dream. Also in mad Scandinavian progue, I suppose there's a band called Yord Sioux with Pest Kroniker. Sure Norwegian progue. Like I said, there is a band from the underground called Sallow Moth who put out a record called Hydrophillis Brood, And I would recommend this to fans of, you know, progressively minded stuff coming out of the Death Underground. I would say, if you are a two mold fan, then salow Moth is another name that you might be getting something out of and also a kind of surprise dropped EP. At some point in the last couple of weeks. Linnea Olsen, who is the front woman of the fantastic post metallic post punk band Maggot Hut, who we've raved about on this show before. Maggot Heart, seemed to be on something of a hiatus right now, but she did put out a kind of a solo EP under her own name, Lennea R. K Olsen called Perfect Wave, which again kind of raucous rock basically as how you would look at that this week the thirty first, can you believe it sound? There's a five Finger Death Punch album out this week called Legacy. Once upon a time we could not move. When there was a five Finger Death Punch album campaign, you would know about it. It's mad that there's a five Finger Death Punch album out on Friday and not a soul has mentioned it.
Speaker 3: It's just like it's the same thing when they announced it doing the O two arena on that too, and it's like a are there enough people who not named Mark who care about five Finger Death Punch out there these days? Yeah, I'm sure I wonder what it will sound like. Like, I'm sure will be full of surprises.
Speaker 2: Why bother?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean even the fact that it's called Legacy. I had to be like, is this like another Greatest Hits?
Speaker 2: It was a great hittering when I saw but like it's got be that in it. Oh no, no, this is a new album.
Speaker 1: As far as I can tell us a new album. They go five finger death punch if you still care disfiguring the Goddess in our stupid death core electronically enhanced, I put that Bloom is the name of that record. More in the death metal underground, I would say that's where the stuff that I'm most interested in this week comes up from. There is a band called Nothingness who released a pretty good album a few years ago, again slimy underground death metal. This is the follow up to that. It's called god Slaughter. In the really avant garde, dissonant kind of end of underground death metal, there's a band called Altage, who have you know again really several good records in the past. Cogwheel is the name of their new one. Lipe Homer, the crazy gorgrind band, who we were speaking about just at the end of last year because we were speaking around them, Elliott brought them onto the whole end of the year season we were doing. They work quick, apparently because they have another new album out today called Infernal Wounds of Raven Flash. And the last live Pomer album that we spoke about was so full of fun, creative surprises for a gore grind record. I genuinely enjoyed that so much. I will be checking out the new one as well. I hope they play Awful Fest soon. I think if the any festival around was going to book lip Pomer in the UK, I saw a few shirts, Awful Festip be the place to do it. That would be on my my dream, you know, booking wish list for that festival. So there you go, book lip Homer. And also in the gore grind world, there is a band who I have seen, a band called Jigy.
Speaker 2: Have I seen Do we see these at London death they played?
Speaker 1: They played the UK death Fest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've seen these. I recognize that. Have I seen this live? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Daft gorgrind stuff. We did see them together. Their album Jigoku is out. From the black metal world, there is the long gooing controversial artist Tucker. His new album is called enskog av Nidstang. Then two EPs to mention. One is a metallic hark or EP from a UK band called Long Goodbye, called a whispered promise of Failure. They are one of these bands who again, if you looking around hardcore bills in the UK, you'll see they're brilliantly scrawled early two thousands type metal core logo that screams, hey, these guys probably enjoy a bit of normal gy or early converge or whatever. I would probably enjoy that as well, and you know, listen to a bit of this, I can confirm I think they're pretty good at it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they're another one there.
Speaker 3: I put them in sort of the crow Quel level, like these are doing the sort of thing that like lots of mans are doing it out. But I think longer I have a bit more going on in terms of like the song capacity that they're supporting like Guilt Trip. I think later this year like that that they're definitely getting their name out there in terms of these metallic carc bands. But yeah, on the UK saw more promising ones.
Speaker 1: Yes, and then also the experimental rock band Shieling, who have put out an EP called Don't look at me the way a dog might look at your leg.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: That is the release round up for this time. If you were one of the other people who was attending Awful fift weekend, I hope you had fun and enjoyed yourself, as I'm sure sure you did if you did attend. We will be back next week with another hyperblast, as I said. In the meantime, we'll be having our Arab Club pack. We're gonna have Horror coming after that. We have all of our specials, so you cannot move for us. You do not have to look very hard as to find hours and hours and hours of T and M content that is out there. But we will be back here on your main weekly feed next Friday as ever, so cheers for listening. We'll see then. Rest in peace, Loue. Collar in the underground. Integrity lies within forever and ever. Take that to heart, everyone,