Speaker 1: R H Garden Line with Scape Ricord.
Speaker 2: Just watching as many.
Speaker 3: Well, good morning, good morning, thanks for listening in. This is garden Line and I'm here to help help help in any way. I can't help you to have a productive garden, a beautiful landscape. Our goal is to make gardening fun and to help direct you to the best ways to manage pests, insects, weeds, and diseases. Uh, if you've listened to me before, you know that first the first step in controlling any kinds of problems, in managing problems is cultural practices. What does that mean. Well, that means don't don't cause problems. Prepare the soil first, Pick plants that want to grow here, pick plants that are disease resistant, water properly, fertilize adequately. You know, we help increase problems when we don't do those things. And just simple how tos on taking care of your garden can help you to avoid You know, gardening is not about getting out ever Saturday and spraying and watering and you know, doing all the activities that we might be doing to try to manage problems. Instead, it's properly caring for plants. That is the simplest thing. Now, does that mean we never have to spray? Of course not. There are situations where you either take the losses or you get out there and you defend your property against pest weeds and diseases. But that's the exception. And when we do make a choice to have to control something, it means we jump out there and we use a product that's going to be effective. We're going to use it at the right time, and that's important. Timing is critical, and finally that we are going to make sure that we follow the label very, very very carefully, because that is important the labels a law. This week I received some questions and in fact, you know, I've been doing this for over thirty five years and entering gardening questions as a county agro Life Extension horticulture agent here in Texas and a number of the counties around this area and also a little further west, and in that process I've kind of heard and seen it all. But inevitably I'm going to get questions from folks that use the wrong product and overdo it or overdo it, and I got some of that this week. You know, it was I used this and it's just what happened. Well, I can tell you why it happened because you miss you misused the product. That is operator error. And I know, and guys, I don't know. We may be worse about this than women are. But when it comes to reading the label paying attention. You know that that mindset sometimes that we have that if a teaspoons good, a tablespoons better. Well, I guess that would be true if we were talking about chocolate pudding, but not when it comes to pesticides that we're using. And when we do that, we cause problems. I saw some pictures this week of a plant that had been overdosed and they was showing problems. And this was a product that would not hurt the plant if used properly, it wouldn't, but when used improperly, it will. And you take something that can be good for a plant, like a fertilizer, take for example, a synthetic salt based fertilizer. Those are can be designed to even release nutrients slowly over time and to just really stimulate plant growth and provide nutrients for the soil bank account. And yet if you double or triple them and then pull the water on it and wash that in that's a salt. Maakes fertlight, it can hurt, it can burn roots, roots, systems. But is that the fertilizer's fault. That's the operator's fault, and unfortunately we are often the one at fault, not the thing we want to point our fingers out. When it comes to watering, little squirt every day does almost nothing. Over Watering can drive roots into an anaerobic position, a condition by oversaturating the soil. Oxygen can't get down the roots. And we see a lot of problems with overwatering it. Certainly everybody knows underwatering is the problem. But watering the right way, Nike, the Goldilocks and the Three Bears. Not too much, not too little, just right. It's not that hard to do. It's very simple to do, and yet it makes so much difference. All right, Well, you're listening to Gardenline. How about I give you a phone number because this is a call in show on one three two one two kt r H seven one three two one two k t r H. Feel free to give us a call talking about nutrients and fertilizers in the soil. As Amite is a nutrient product. Now it's not the kind of nutrient, like your standard fertilizer has a lot of nitrogen in it makes grass grow fast. No, it's a it's a micronutrient or a trace mineral. And what that means is of all the minerals out there that are essential, essential means a plant cannot live without them. There are some that are needed in large amounts and some just in tiny amounts, but they are still essential. As Amite is one of those micronutrient trace mineral products that provides that, and as it is widely available here in the Houston area, you can put it on I think on my on my schedule. I've got you know, once a year you're going to put your trace mineral, your micronutrient element out, and so just grab a bag of azmite anytime of the year you want. You can do it now, you can do it next spring, whenever you want. Doesn't hurt to have it around, it's not going to go bad. And then whenever you wish could be at the same time you fertilize, not in the same application, hopper. You fertilize first, then come back fill it with as mte and do the asmite. Because the particle size is different but whenever you want to do it, you can do it. And that there is the reason we do it is get those micro nutrients done in there. You can go to Azmite Texas dot com and find out more about it. I can just tell you this, it's widely available. You hear me talk about sponsors and everything from bead stores to garden centers, ace hardware stores, Southlos Fertilizer, all those kinds of places are going to carry the asmite. Widely, widely available. I was looking at some pictures from cienam Maltz this week and just the products they have in the products are getting in.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: Cienamultch is your go to place if you're down south of Houston, and you can drive there from anywhere if you want, certainly, but they deliver within about twenty miles of the Roch Sharin area. That's where they're located. They're on FM five twenty one, just south Houston. The website you might want to write this down Cinamaltz dot com. By the way, they're open today until two o'clock and Monday through Friday from seven thirty to five close on Sunday, and when you go into Cianamalts. You get everything you need to build the soil. And my mantra is brown stuff before green stuff, which means take care of the soil first, get it right, and then put your wonderful plant the green stuff into the ground and it'll thrive. Ciana Malts is the brown stuff place. It is the place where you get compost. It is a place where you get bed mixes or mixes like heirloom soils, veggie and Nerbix is there. It's a place where you get fertilizers. You hear me talk about nitrofoss fertilizers, Nelson, Medina, Microlife, the Azamite I just talked about. It's a turf star from Nelson. It's a place where where you get airlombs, soil products, landscaper's pride products.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's just an easy, easy, one stop shop to get the brown stuff right, to get your soil right. Fallst planting season now is the time to go to Sienamls. Get everything you need and get that soul ready so when you put the plants in you have success. I'm gonna take a quick break here. I'll be right back. Our phone number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four, Sky Mike. I'm Skymike Avis. Today we are gonna talk about a lot. I got a lot of things to talk about. I know you guys, We've got some folks colin already to talk and so we're we're going to cover a lot of things today. And listen, we are on the doorstep of the best gardening season of the year. We are u fall is the best gardening season. I'll make a case for that and a little bit, but right now I'm just gonna tell you it is. If you have not done lawn fertilizing this summer, you can still do it. The night Fuss super Turf lives just an example of a good quality silver release fertilizer. It gives you a gradual release over time. It's a nineteen four to ten ratio of nutur nutrient levels nineteen four ten. That Nitropos product is easy to pick out because it's in a silver bag. You know, you walk in the store, look over at the fertilizers, the silver bag. That's one I'm talking about. Nitrofis super Turf. You can buy nitropas products all over there. They are how we would we say it. They are ubiquitous. You go onto Baytown at Fisher's Hardware and you're going to find them down there. D and D feed up in Tomball you can find it there as well, and also at a Tascassita Ace Hardware. Let's go out to the phones now we're going to talk to Travis this morning. Travis, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: You're morning, sir.
Speaker 3: How can we help.
Speaker 6: Fighting millie bugs really bad? We tried the homemade home homemade remedy sprays, try so if we bought from Ace. Tried several different ones repotnam but we can't seem to get rid of them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, mealiebugs, Travis, are a tough pest to get rid of because they can hide done in the nooks and crannies, and they have a covering on them that makes it hard to get a pesticide to them. There are things that will kill them. You know. People with a little houseplant with a few melli bugs, well use a Q tip with alcohol on it and just just dab them with it. You know, that's tedious, not going to work on outside plants, but that's one option. Some people. We use oil or soap type spray, especially horticultural oil to try to get to them, but it's always like you get most of them maybe, but not all of them, and then they come right back. Some people use systemics that'll be a product ingredient, like a meadow cloprid. You put it in the soil, the plant takes it up and anything sucking juice is out of the plant, which is what mealy bugs and scaled and white flies and a fids to do. They'll pick that poison up and that is probably the most effective way because any meai bug that's going to eat is going to get the poison because you've put it into the root system of the plant. The problem with the systemics is if you if it's a plant that gets honey bees, then there can be problems with bees and other pollinators that are drinking nectar from the flowers if you've done that to the plant. So that's kind of the drawback on it. All right, Well, appreciate your hilt, sir, Yeah, and you know there's no shame. And when a plant is really bad is just getting rid of it and cleaning up the area and putting in another plant. I know that happened. There's house plants that people have fought mella bugs with for years, and it's like throw that thing away, get you into the house plant. Sometimes that's the best option to all right, all right, well thank you sir, Yes, sir, thank you appreciate your call. We're going to go now to Richmond and talk to Jerial. Is that correct?
Speaker 7: Yes? Hello, skip, good morning, Hello, good morning.
Speaker 8: Hello.
Speaker 9: Yeah, thanks for taking my call. And and actually thank you so much for the shows.
Speaker 7: I really enjoy it.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 9: Yeah. So, yeah, I sent you some pictures over email. So my my son Augustine was looking great and I was so happy I was following your schedule and thanks for that. But then in July I started noticing that Bermuda was taken over some spots and I probably I wasn't watering enough. I still, I tried to stick to one eche per week, you know, but it.
Speaker 7: Was pretty dry, as you remember. So now I.
Speaker 9: Also found some change box and I applied the product that you recommended. But I just wanted to to to to to hear from you and see if if you think I should resort or you know it will recover. And and also another question, if I'm gonna ask you like because I did apply this product for change box. But you know, I was also thinking of applying like some products against the diseases as you recommend it. So can I do it at once or should I wait like a couple of weeks between the applications of different products.
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Thanks, you can do As a general answer, you can use different products at the same day, but I wouldn't mix them in the same spray tank or or fertilizer hop or you know, ex exercise whatever granule hopper that you're putting out, however you're putting it out, don't mix them. Now, that could be chinch bugs what I see, and if you saw them, then the course they're there. But I see mostly what looks to me like take all root rot. Take all root rot kills roots. And when you start killing the roots, especially the tips, roots can only take up iron from the tip of the root. So when you start killing roots, you start seeing iron deficiency, and that's the yellowing that's ever where, And that's just a sign to me that that there is a lack of iron getting into those plants. And almost always uh in a Saint Augustine loan, that is, take all root rot. Drought can cause it damage from herbicides that are misused can cause it.
Speaker 7: Uh.
Speaker 3: And you know, so there's other issues, but I'm gonna think that's probably what you're looking at. You could send a sample up to the State Plant Clinic to look at. I think on this one, I'm gonna I On this one, I'm just gonna say I think I'm right, and I would go ahead and treat it as if it's take all root rot. If you go online to my website Gardening with Skip dot com Gardening with Gardening Skip, there is a pest disease and we'd management schedule and if you look at the disease row on that schedule, you'll see take all root rot and fall is a big time to do control. And it tells you what you can use out there, uh, And it tells you when and basically it's going to be October repeated again in November twice. Right, and so you know, rather than send product names, you know, long chemical name type stuff, just go on there and look. It also helps to spray that foliage of the grass with a micronutrient solution. And there's a couple of different ones that are out there. Oh gosh, now I'm trying to think of the actual name of I know Fertilom has one that's a micro nutrient type product, and there's another one, but look at the label and it needs to contain manganese and iron. Nick can also have zinc and other things in it, but manganese and iron are probably the two most important ones for takeof. Look it up to your hosand sprayer and just just water the lawn with it. You don't have to soak it, you don't have to put a ton of it out, but just you know, give it a pretty good wedding and I think you'll see a response in the color. That doesn't mean you've cured the disease. That means you've helped the patient. It's like you've got you're in the hospital, you can't eat, and they put an ivy in your arm, right, and that's kind of what you're doing with that micronutrient while you then also begin to work on controlling the disease.
Speaker 9: All right, Okay, yeah, no, thanks, sounds good.
Speaker 3: All right, that's what i'd recommend you if I can. If I can today, I'm going to send you a publication in response to your email that goes into more detail on it. I just have to at the end of the at the end of the show. Actually, remember we talked this morning, so I'll do my best. Yeah, you don't hear from me rattle the cage again, all right?
Speaker 9: Yeah, okay, thank you, thank you, Skip bye bye.
Speaker 3: You take care. Yeah, that's that's an issue. And by the way, when you're looking for products like I'm talking about, you know, fertilizers and other things, Ace Hardware is the place to go. And I don't care where you live whatever part of the Houston area. There are forty Ace Hardware stores. You're going to find one. But when I'm talking about that fur lome ingredient that has micro nutrients in it, and there's other brands. It's not just for long but you're looking for iron and manganese liquids that you can spray on the they're going to have that stuff at ACE Hardware, as well as all the fertilizers. In fall, we're about to enter our fall fertilization season. Go to ACE Hardware find a fertilizer for fall. Download my schedule off of gardening with Skip dot com website. Look at the fertilizers. You get to pick which one you want to use, organic or synthetic, whichever, and look at the time of the year and they'll tell you which ones of each of those types are going to be the best for applying in the fall season. And ACE Hardware is going to be the place where you're going to find them. Acehardware dot COM's the website makes it easy to find the one near you at their store locator.
Speaker 10: See.
Speaker 3: I'm going to head out now to Cyprus, Texas and talk to Joyce. Hello, Joyce, Welcome to Garmline.
Speaker 11: Good morning. I planted some sunshine lagostrums probably about the last part of June, and they were nice and yellow when they went in, and they have there now they're just green. Is there something I should be doing?
Speaker 3: You planeted them in this summer.
Speaker 11: Yes, this summer, and they're growing. They look healthy and everything, but they're not yellow anymore. They're mostly green.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think that they will turn more yellow. I you know, sometimes plants revert, but that has not happened in this amount of time to those in that particular species isn't prone to reverting anyway, So I think I think just give them a little time, and they ought to to turn out I probably some new growth. I've never heard of that, like a sunshine turning grain. Why don't you. I'm gonna put you on on hold and Joyce, would you send me some pictures of them kind of close the whole shrub and pardon.
Speaker 11: I'm sorry, I can't do that. I'm in a wheelchair and I can't get out there and do it.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, let me let me look in to it a little more if I can come up with something on it. My gut feeling is if they were yellow and you got them, and they truly are a sunshine lagustrum, then I would just give them some time. That's my gut feeling. I'll look into it a little more. Maybe there's something else I'm not considering right now.
Speaker 11: But it like they say, they look healthy, they're growing, and they're in plenty of sun. They get all day sun.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Well, like I said, I think I think they're gonna be okay, but I'll look into it a little bit more, but just give them some time.
Speaker 11: Okay, Okay, thank you very much?
Speaker 3: All right, you bet, thank you. I appreciate your call very much. If you live up in the North and West area of the Greater Houston area. You've probably been by Plants for All Seasons already. Plants for All Seasons is one of those garden centers that just has everything you need right now. They're stocked up in all kinds of things that are outstanding fall colors, you know, things like cro I don't know if you've ever seen Croton, but it's got everything from kind of a I don't know, orangey coral colors to yellows to green and it just looks like the fall, you know. And there's there's many other plants that they carry their including flowers and other things. But you're going to find everything you needed. Plants for All Seasons. They're just north of Luetta on two forty nine, just north of Fluetta. And if you want to get the calls two eight one three seven six sixteen forty six two eight one three seven six one six four six we're going to go to a break here. The number if you like to call seven one three two one two ktr eight. How can we help? What do you need? Do we talk about lawns and trees and shrubs or whatever you are interested in? You know, we love feed stores here on guard Line and Spring Creek Feed up in the Magnolia area. They're actually on FM twenty nine to seventy eight, just minutes away from Grham Parkway Highway two forty nine. They carry the fertilizers you hear me talk about on garden Line. They carry products to control weeds, to control the zases, to manage pests. When you walk into Spring Creek, you're going to be greeted. I always like to walk in there. You know, you feel like you've come home or something. The courteous staff greeting you and very willing and eager to really help. If you need pet food, they've got high quality food. Of course, it's feedstore, livestock food and products. Yeah, plenty of that as well wildlife feed. If you're four h or ffa military or senior citizen, there's discounts for you. They'll even special order and deliver at Spring Creek Feed again in Magnolia on FM twenty nine seventy eight Spring Creek Feed Center. Let's go now out to the galleria. We're going to talk to Forest. Hey, Forest, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 7: Thank you, Skip, good morning. I've read your bulletin on treating nuts edge and I went down to Southwest Fertilizer and picked up the products that I need. Is this an okay time to do it? This weekend?
Speaker 3: Anytime is a good time to do it. And if you read the in depth when you know it talked about never let it up for air kind of concept that if you do it this weekend and three weeks from now, you're gonna probably see some more nuts edge pop up. It could be from some other tubers that were asleep underground and just now came up. Do it again, and do it again. Whenever there's nuts edge it's coming up with three to five leaves, do it again. So it doesn't matter what month. Of course, not gonna be gone in the winter, but yeah, yeah, just be relentless. That is the key to success.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 7: Second question is I have planted a number of Louisiana iris bulbs that I picked up at the River Rokes Bulb Market and I've planted them in in a bed that you know, they talk about this being a bog type plant, So it's a it's a wet bed. It's a it's a relatively wet bed. But I can't seem to produce any blooms. And I'm wondering if I'm not fertilizing correctly or what I should do.
Speaker 3: No, just give them some time, don't overdo the fertilizer, just a moderate amount. Give them. I think next spring you'll probably are summer, you'll you'll start to see some blooms. Sometimes they're they're a little bit slow to get going. But that's a great plant. It's an awesome plant. And I'll, you know, as they say, when life gives you lemons, make lemonade. When you got an area that's too soggy for most plants, pick up things like Louisiana iris like you did, because that's a great way to turn it into a beautiful, beautiful area.
Speaker 7: Okay, well I'll put down some patients then.
Speaker 3: All right, Forrest, thanks for the call. I appreciate that. Take care. Let's see, we're gonna go out cypress now and talk to Blake. Hello Blake, Good morning Skip.
Speaker 12: I've got a four hour road trip, so I'll listen to you as far as the radio takes me, and then out on the app the.
Speaker 5: Rest of the way.
Speaker 3: So there you go. There you go, Hey, on.
Speaker 12: The previous color with the sunshine lugustrum, I've got those and they do turn they have turned kind of lemon lime color. I don't know if it's more too much water or just rain or drought, but might have turned like that.
Speaker 5: And then they go right back to being yellow. So I don't know what causes it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I don't either. It may be part of the growth cycle on those. I've never had one in my yard. I've seen them at garden centers and other people's yards. But thanks for mentioning that though, because I just wouldn't feeling like that would be a normal thing. You know, some of our shrubs that are supposed to be yellow revert and they put new shoots out that are green, and they're going to be stay green. But I don't think sunshines that way. Okay, Well do you like your.
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 5: I love them.
Speaker 12: And it's funny when I first moved into a house where they plan on them, and it was before they'd gotten popular, and I thought they were boxwoods and they were going through one of those growth cycles, and I called Randy with pictures, saying, how are these boxwoods turning miss yellow? Because they were morphing from a green to a yellow in that cycle. I think the previous owner had had sheared them and they were green and then they started to turn. But Brandy had a good laugh because he I thought they were boxwoods. Anyway, I love them. They've been piss free. They they've handled the two wicked winters. Uh you know, I just have to flit them. So yeah, I love them. The called is planted some baby citrus trees after the freezes. They're growing. I have to pick the fruit off, but something gets after the outer skin of them. And I sent some pictures in this morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah I saw those. Yeah, so there there are different things that can happen.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, no, sorry, it just in the idea.
Speaker 7: So you've seen them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I looked at the pictures. There are different things that can happen on the surface of citrus. There's kind of a scruff type disease that just affects the skin, but it can cause it to get, you know, kind of dried and cracky and so it splits and stuff. If the citrus is growing. I think yours are mostly caused by bird packs. Little birds will sit and pecket that citrus skin typically is going to happen up on the top side of the fruit and they just a little tiny packs on it that can cause something very similar to what you're showing. If it's not just that, then it's also going to be some sort of a scruffy type disease that really there's just not a need or a good product to use to manage it. In general, as your citrus grows, citrus typically shades a lot of it's fruit just because it's got those big evergreen leaves.
Speaker 13: And so.
Speaker 3: If this is happening more out in sunny areas than that, the sun could be related to it. But again, like I'm I'm looking at the picture, it looks to me like a lot of little bird pecking going on up there on it. There are some other things that can affect it.
Speaker 12: Okay, great, well thanks, I haven't seen them on the fruit, but I've seen birds around the kind on the corner on the side. So next year when the crop comes in, I'll put some nuts on them.
Speaker 3: And yeah, well remember too that this is only skin deep, and so if you turn the lights off in each your citrus in the dark, you'll never know the difference. It tastes just fine, it's true.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I notice that it's never seen to get to the core. But thank you for confirming, and then well, I'll just deal with it. I'll let the dogs out more run them away.
Speaker 3: I guess that may be a good thing. You may have to pay the dogs to do their job, but that'd be a good idea. Take care of Blake, all right, all right, bye, byereciate that the folks that Nelson Plant Food have put together some really outstanding fertilizers. You know that already, But bruce Is Brew. You can put that on any time. I don't talk about it enough because it really any month of the year, just about especially really when we talk about from spring all the way until fall. Bruces Brew is a great fertilizer to put down. It really. Not only is it released some fast, but it also releases slowly over time. Second product I want to mention from Nelson is Genesis, and I should. I'm going to start talking about this one more. I love Genesis. It is a product made to go in as you transplant. So if you're going to move a plant from one pot to another in that soil that you're going to plant it into, mix in Genesis. If you're going to put a shrub in the ground, like we're going to plant a rose, bush, which would be a good thing to plant this fall. Take the soil around it, mix in some genesis, and then plant the plant. Plant it down in the hole, fill it in and it is a good head start. It's got a lot of microbial content in it and it just provides the nutrients that you need. You're going to continue then to top off your plants. You know, whether you're using nutri Star, Color Star, whatever, Nature Star, all those products as fertilizer on top. But in that transplanting process, always have a jar of the Genesis and from Nelson plant Food and it works works very well. And I say that because I've used it, I've seen the results that it does. Very very impressed with that.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 3: Looks like we are hitting here on another break Man Times Flying this morning. If you like to give us a call and be on Guardenline to ask your question seven one three two one two k t r H and I'll be right back. We'll talk about the things that interest you, maybe answer some questions in your landscape or your garden activities. Seven to one three two one two kt r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. That makes it really easy. Hey, if you live down south, down south of the Houston area. You need to know about bm BE turf Pros bn B turf Pros is It's the kind of company that I just love to talk about on guardline because of the way they treat their customers and the kind of work that they do. Listen, their number one goal is customer satisfaction and high quality work as well. I should mention that too, because they use quality products. They get their stuff from Cenamolts. For example, when they're coming out and do a compost top dressing, B and B turf Pros can do an aerration to punch those holes in the soil, pull the little plugs out, put them on the surface, and then a compost top dressing with a high quality compost. And I'm telling you, with a clay soil, that does wonders, especially if if your grass is struggling due to compaction or are just struggling in general. That gets oxygen down deeper in the soil, it gets organic matter down deeper in the soil, and it just starts your lawn on that path to recovery. And BnB turf Pros is easy to get a hold of. It's seven to one three two three nine excuse me two three four fifty five ninety eight. Say that again seven to one three two three four five five nine eight.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: They only use the products that I trust. At BnB turf Pros, their number one goal is for you to be happy and for them to do a quality job. And if you would like, I would encourage you to go check out their website bb NO and Bbturfpros dot com bb turf pros dot com. Sometimes people will ask, was the one thing I can do to fix this lawn up? And one of the things, depending on the conditions and the lawn. One of the things is correation and compost stop dressing. That is, that stuff works magic on your lawn. Also done south is Jorges Hidden Gardens. Now you've heard me talk about Jorges Gardens before. U. Jorge has a number of different kinds of plants at all times, let's say a number of different I mean different categories like shrubs and trees. Is an outstanding selection of shrubs and trees, lots of different variety. I think the last spring he had nine varieties of peach trees. He's always got fruit trees, the low chill type for growing down in that area. He's located in Alvin, just south of Highway six. He's on Elizabeth Street in Alvin. The hours, by the way, now for fall, they're opening up more hours. Monday they're closed, so they'll be closed on Monday, but Tuesday through Friday nine to three, and both today and tomorrow, Saturday and Sundays eight to four, Saturday and Sundays eight to four. At Jorges Hidden Gardens. You're going to find other things there too. They got that three sixty tree stabilizer that I keep talking about. They carry those as well as many other good products. So if you live in Alvin, Santa Fe, Dickinson Hillcrest, Arcadie, Alcoa, Alta Loma, all of those communities, this is your local hometown garden center Orges Hidden Gardens. I was like to visit with Orgy. He's a character, that's for sure. Well, you're listening to garden Line and our phone number is seven one three two one two k t R H. And we're going to go straight out to Lewis in the Brazoria County. Hello, Louis, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Good morning, good mor and skip. My question is about biosolids compost and your opinion. I'm not concerned about per se the human element of it from the notching source, but wonder if you had any concerns or advice with using it and say that, you know, the landscape in a vegetable garden or under fruit trees or anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I definitely would not on things like edibles. I just wouldn't. I realized there's a process they go through. But you know, notoriously, the biosolid composts have had heavy metal issues and some other things, and I know they they work on not having that now, but I would rather I just don't use it period myself that a special that's edible?
Speaker 7: Is it? Is it because of surface contact or systemic actually in the plant?
Speaker 3: Well, the heavy metals would be more of a systemic thing that the plant would take up. That would be the primary thing. Uh. Again, in a properly composted pile, you should kill any kinds of microbial organism right, right things. But you know that's an ideal world. And so I'm not sitting here telling you no, it'll make you sick if you use it and all that stuff. Sure, I'm just saying I don't. We have too many high quality composts that are not bio solid based, and so that's what I prefer to use.
Speaker 7: Would you not even use it a lock on the lawn or you know, like for top dressing.
Speaker 3: Well, people do concern about it.
Speaker 7: If it's if it's yeah, if it's systemic, then I not use the clipping then composts or you know, the tree leaves and composts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's it's not a systemic in that sense. It's more like the roots can take up certain things that you may not want to accumulate. I you know, I understand that in a lawn your exposure is different than it would be in a vegetable garden around fruit trees. But still that's your call. I just I just wouldn't do it. I prefer not to do it because we have other high quality composts that we can do. I joke about that stuff all the time. I'm not going to use brand names, but one one there's a fertilizer made out of that stuff. And I talked to the guy for the company one time and I said, you know, you need to change your name to Yankee Doodle. The products from Milwaukee, Wisconsin and I said, because, well, biosolids from the sewer treatment plant Yankee. Do it seem like a good name to me? I thought it was hilarious. He did not find it funny at all.
Speaker 7: Okay, well, how would you know for certain? I mean, I know there's two your sponsors with airlines. We'll talk to, Louis. I know that, oh the jin up by Conrad one blank on John Ferguson's products done. But like some of the other school yards, how would you know if they're getting I mean, when you talk to the guy that answers the phone or the guy in the yard, they typically will tell you whatever you want to hear. I shouldn't have bit skeptical and.
Speaker 3: Yeah, from these companies are not going to lie to you, and they pride themselves and not using that stuff, and.
Speaker 7: So it just they weren't just convenient to me. They're just a couple of hours away from more particularly.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, and realize realize this too, Louise. When I'm when we're talking about one of my sponsors, it's not like, well, I don't want to say something because they're my sponsor. It's that they're my sponsor because of how they make their product and that I agree with that and like that, and I know it works, and so I'm not going to take on a sponsor that doesn't do that. And I have turned down sponsors more than one occasion because no, I'm not We're not going to do that.
Speaker 14: We're not going to sell that right.
Speaker 3: So the fact that they're there means I don't have to worry about what I'm saying because I already believe in what they have. So that's why you hear them soils, That's why you hear Landscaper's Pride, That's why you hear Nature's Way Resources John Ferguson and Conrad.
Speaker 7: I didn't realize Nature's Way was, or excuse me, what Landscaper's Pride was, sort to find that they were not certifying the wrong word. I didn't know that they were.
Speaker 3: I've used those products. I've used their products as well, and you know, i'd have to call and ask them specifically on that one. I don't they have new products coming out all the time and stuff.
Speaker 7: Sure, Okay, hey, that's fair skip that. I just appreciate and respect your opinion. Just want to hear what your thoughts were on using it outside of the garden area of mourning. Was it systemic? And do I need to be concerned? Once you get introduced, you know, you really doesn't go away.
Speaker 3: Okay, Well, I know across the country those things are widely used, especially in turf, and there's products like the one I was talking about. This sold a lot to golf courses and stuff because we got my opinion. You got my opinion on it, you know. Okay, that's what That's what it is.
Speaker 5: That's all.
Speaker 7: That's all I was looking for. Okay, thank you very much, have a good day, Take care you too.
Speaker 3: You're listening to garden Line our phone number seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven one three two one two k t r H. Make that real easy here, Well, here we go. We just went through another hour of guarden Line. Seems like these hours are just flying by. We got plenty more to talk about. I hope you'll stay tuned, stick with us, and if you want to ask me a call, that would be a good time to get on the board. So when we come back from break, I'm talking to you about the things that interest you. Hey, important news news flash today today, today, today, after the show, I am making a bee Line for Montgomery County Fall Home and Outdoor Living Show in Conrod, Texas, out at the Lone Star Convention Center, Airport Road, northeast side of town. I hope you'll come out. I'm gonna be talking about fall gardening, given a talk on that, and then answering your questions. I'll be there from twelve until two. From twelve until two, and I hope you will come out. I'm giving away some really cool products from Microlife Fertilizers. We're gonna be giving away jugs of the six two four. We're gonna be giving away some of their Bomb Matrix, the Orange liquid bottle, bottle, Orange bottle of liquid fertilizers, super high quality. I use it myself. Come on out, maybe you one one, but you certainly will have an opportunity to ask the gardening questions. Bring me some samples, bring me some pictures. We'll figure.
Speaker 15: Kt RH Garden Line does not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Scamp Richter.
Speaker 2: So just watch him as well.
Speaker 3: Let's just jump right in here. How about that you are listening to Guardline. I'm your host, skip Richter, and what are we here for. We're here to help you have a more bountiful garden, a more beautiful landscape. That's kind of what it amounts to. Oh and one other thing, and to have fun. Gardening should be fun. It should be enjoyable. Sometimes it feels like it's like we're out there and fireanch are biting this and it's too hot and everything I'm trying to grow is dying and what do I do? And hey, there's a way to fix that. Just calm down, Calm down, set the scissors down, get off the chair. It's okay, just calm down.
Speaker 5: We're good.
Speaker 3: It is simple principles, and that's what we talk about here on guard Line. Plants need certain things. They need good sunlight, some species more than others. They need good drainage, but adequate water. They want to be moist enough for that species, and they don't want to be in a swamp unless they're lousy airis or something. They can put up with that. So we just give them what they need and we can work our way to that. And it all begins in the soil. Soil is first, you know, organic gardening began in the soil. We don't. Organic gardening is not just about what's an organic pesticide.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 3: Organic gardening is how do you build the soil so it does better. And Microlife has designed their soil products, their fertilizer products around just that they are chalk full of nutrients. So when you buy something like micro grow liquid that is a really cool liquid kind of in a maroon colored bottle. It contains all kinds of different beneficial organisms in it, as well as many other things to help stimulate plant growth. Microlife soil and plant energy. There's just another example of them. I mentioned the Biomatrix thought orange bottle that is a seven percent nitrogen product. Actually it's a good boost of nitrogen. I use it on houseplants and other things. And by the way, I'm going to be given some away today this afternoon if you come or noon, if you come on up from twelve to two at the Montgomery County Home and Garden trum me giving away some samples. If you'd like to try that, you have to you have to win one. I mean, it's not like I have eight hundred bottles out there, but come on by maybe you will. And their bioanoculants another example, Microlife builds their products to build your soil, which they know will result in healthy plants. That is how that works, That's how the system works, and that that is why they do their products, design their products the way that they do. So we were just talking about the importance of the soil. Important important, nothing, probably nothing more important than starting with good and healthy soil. We just had some rain in my house. It's kind of been hitting this around the area. And I walked outside yesterday and went out in the garden to pick some okra, and we were having okra last night with other things. And while I was out there, I looked down on my leg and there's a mosquitos coming around me run around in my shorts and mosquito country and mosquito dunks are designed to help shut that stuff down. You know, whenever you get rain, you get standing water. Maybe it's in a saggy gutter. Maybe it's underneath the drain, the little saucer underneath your plants, it collects water. Maybe it's a bird bath. Mosquito dunks are little donuts, little like those little white, dusty, white powdered doughnuts. They're about that size and you throw them into the pond or standing water, and it covers about one hundred square feet and it lasts about a month as they dissolve away, releasing a disease of mosquitoes. They also make a granule product that does sustainable excuse me, summit responsible solutions of the product. The company that makes mosquito dunks also has a granule. You can throw those granules in too, or you can just take a dunk and break it up with a hammer a little bit, and now you've got granules. It's easy to use, it's easy to find. It's everywhere. Feed stores, garden centers, ace hardware stores Southwest for all those places are going to carry mosquito dunks, and you need to always have them on hand because when we get these periods of rain, if you got any place where water can stand, then you definitely want to deal with that and pour those poor those catch basins under your plants out by the way. That's just another tip to shut them down. I saw somebody's rain barrel the other day. They have a good cover over it. I think rain barrels are great. Go for it, do that, but don't let the mosquitos in there. That thing was full of mosquito wregulars. Maybe my skin crawl just looking in it. Toss a few mosquito dunk granules in there, you'd be in good shape, ready, ready to go. I stopped by Buchanan's Native Plants past week, and you know, bu Cannons is on Eleventh Street and the Heights, beautiful, beautiful little area, and it's a it's just a wonderland. You walk in there and you look at all the different kinds of plants that they have at Buchanans and they have everything, even their house plant you know McKenna's Native Plants. You think was that where you go for house plants. Yes, they have a huge, huge area with some of the coolest house plants stuff that you'll walk in. I promise you this. You're going to see past plants and you go, I've never seen one of those before. And Buchanan's plants fall vegetables, They're set up ready to go fall vegetables at Buchanans Plants. Do you need fruit trees? They've got them there. Do you need native plants? Wonderful? I posted something to Facebook and Instagram, garden Line, Facebook and Instagram on the plant called frog fruit it is. Basically it's a wild weed native plant here. And I say weed just because it's wild growing around out there. But it is an outstanding groundcover. That's stuff. If anything that can grow in a vacant lot between cracks and the concrete and spread out over the concrete, making a little four inch high groundcover, that's a plant you need to have. I mean, it needs sunlight to do its best, but it's outstanding little blooms all year long that attract bees. It's hard to find frogfruit without bees on it because it's a great pollinator plant. But where do you get it? You get it Buchanan's Plants in the Heights on Eleventh Street. Buchanansplants dot com. You are listening to Guardline. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and our phone number if you would like to give us a call, now'd be a time. Uh seven one three two one two k t r H seven to one three two one two kt r H. I went up to uh D and D feed. It was about two weeks ago. I stopped in there just checking on them, seeing how things are going and what's up and what's new. And they're just going full full steam. I mean they are loaded up on the things you need. You know, if I talk about a fertilizer, it's at D and D Feed. You're looking at products like heirloom soils, bags of airloom soil, you know, like the rose soil, or their fruit berry and citrus soil, or they're veggie and herb mix. You can go there and get those. At D and D Feed they keep them in stock. Products to control weeds and diseases and issues. They have it. You're looking for nitrophised fertilizers, you're looking for microlife fertilizer. They've got those there at D and D Feed. You're going to find everything that you need to have success in your lawn and your landscape right there at D and D Feed. They are on the west side of Tombault. Just go out twenty nine to twenty go out a little piece outside of town.
Speaker 16: There.
Speaker 3: They're on the left hand side. Here's a phone number two eight one three five one seventy one forty four two eight one three five one seventy one twenty four. D and D Feed stores three miles west of two forty nine. On twenty nine twenty, I was like going into feed stores. It's I don't know. There's something about just the experience, you know, the it's almost sometimes it's it's like like the I like the aroma, you know in a feed store of all the feed and things like that. I just think it's cool and D and D feed that dover. It's a great place to go. They you know, they take care of you. They make sure you get what you need. Makes it easy, easy to do, easy to talk about. All right, I'm gonna have to run quick break here. When I come back, Charles, I'll go straight to you. You're listening to guarden line. We'll be right back. Garden and have a beautiful landscape. And what do we do first when we're taking care of plants? Well, let me put this way. What do we do first when we want to have success with plants? We fix the soil. Heirloom Soils has a wide variety of products that are outstanding for making good soil. Do you need a fruit berry and centrus mix for growing those kinds of plants? Do you need a landscape bed mix? Do you need some composted hardwood mults or rosesoil or the works potting soil or something for cactus and succulents, Veggie and herb mix. That's one of my favorite ones right there, Veggie nerd mix. Do you need expanded shale for heavy clays or a combo of compost and expanded shale. All of those are available by the bag, and you can also buy heirloom products buy the bulk. Just go to Heirloomsoilsoftexas dot com. That's where you learn more. That's where you find out all the places you can buy heirloom soil, which is widely widely available if they're out the whole Gardenline listening area, Heirloom Soils of Texas quality soil, and you start with good soil, you have success in fall planting season. We are at the door of fall planting season right now, so now's the time to get that soil prepared, to get it built so that when planting comes, even if it's raining, you just go out there and you get the planning done. See, you don't have to wait till the soil drives out because you've gotten it done ahead of time. That's just a tip I'd highly recommend you do that. We're going to go to New Canny now and talk to Charles Hey, Charles, Welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 13: Hello, good morning. I have a question on a large oak tree. It's the type that drops all its leaves in the winter. It's about thirty feet from my house. But the limbs are now starting. It's so old, it's starting the limbs are starting to kind of grow out over the house and the garage. Okay, would it hurts the tree to trim those limbs back?
Speaker 3: Well, I can't, Yeah, I can't see. Well, the bigger the wound you make, the more of a weak spot you're going to have there. You see what I'm saying, Because that it'll take time for that to close over, and the wood inside if it takes too long, begin to decay before the wound fully closes over. If you want to shortened limbs, you want to cut them back to where they join another limb. And so think about it as a highway system with off ramps. As you go down the branch. You know, the off ramp is a branch coming off the branch you're on that kind of thing. Cut them off right past the off ramp. So it's like you're diverting traffic down the limb and then now down the off ramp. Do you see what I'm saying? The exit ramp and that kind of pruning is the least problematic for the plant. So if you need to shorten those branches, you can do that. Just know that the further back you cut, the bigger the cut's going to be, the slower it's going to heal. And then the potential for a week or branch is there? Is this a do it yourself or you're looking for somebody to do it for you?
Speaker 13: Oh, I'll have somebody do it.
Speaker 7: I can't get up in that tree.
Speaker 13: It's too big.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, Well you ought to talk to Martin spoon Moore at Affordable Tree. He's very good at that. Okay, Well know if you if you let me give you a number just in case if you need it. It's seven one three six nine nine two six six three seven one three six nine nine twenty six sixty three. He's he's very good at that.
Speaker 17: All right.
Speaker 13: What was what was the first one?
Speaker 7: Again?
Speaker 3: Uh? The Affordable Tree Martin spoon More? Oh, seven one three six two six six three all.
Speaker 13: Right, all right, thank you very much, thanks Charles.
Speaker 3: You bet you bet? All right, let's see here, Yeah, I tell you Martin he knows Houston trees and he stays busy. But tell him your Guardline listener when you call, get you to the front of the line and check out his website a f F Tree Service dot com. A f F Tree Service dot com. He's very he's excellent, very good work. Let's set's go back to the phones. We're going to go now and talk to David. Hello, David, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 18: I sCOD thank you for taking my call. I have one question and I found the answer. I found a basis for a second question. First question, bottom line, is is it okay to take pine needles from one part of my yard and put them where the trees are growing in another part of the yard to kind of make it like a natural forest.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, okay, great, thank.
Speaker 8: You very much.
Speaker 18: Second question is I got your advice last year and planted, among other things, to Sunshine lagustrum plants. And I went to Plants for all seasons and the lady there told me, okay, well, here's how you trim them.
Speaker 13: You just nip a little bit off here, nip a little bit off there.
Speaker 8: But I haven't done that.
Speaker 18: I just let them kind of grow. And I'm wondering is there any kind of approach I should take to trimming them?
Speaker 3: Okay, so David that when we're doing shrubs, we have options. I mean, you can hedge a shrub and make it square if you want. That just means you're going to have to prune regularly now to keep that looking like that. I like a more natural approach where the shrub has a more natural form. So what I would do. You can cut them back, but maybe follow a branch, maybe got long gangly cane coming out of that or shoot coming out of that lagustrum. Follow it back to where there's a side shoot and cut it off just above that side shoot. That's called a thinning cut. And when you go back and you take the longer shoots and you bring the overall size of the shrub down, it still has a natural look when you prune that way. Again, just this branch is too long. I want to get rid of it. So follow it down to where there's a side shoot that is acceptable in terms of its length and everything, and cut it off right above that. That's how I would go about printing that sunshine unless you want the sheared look excellent.
Speaker 5: Thank you very much. I appreciate your health.
Speaker 3: Sir, you bet good luck with that.
Speaker 7: Keep thank you.
Speaker 3: I appreciate appreciate that call very much. You know, when it comes to taking care of your lawn, one of the most important things we do is area. You heard me talking about that earlier. If you live up north, you know we were talking about the northwestern quadrant of Houston. So I ten and I forty five or roughly forty five miles from Magnolia. That's another good way to put it. Forty five miles from Magnolia. Green Pro is your company. They've been doing this for a while. They know what they're doing. They do a quality deep aeration, pull the plugs out of the ground. They do it compost top dressing, and they get it all done for you and it's it's easy.
Speaker 7: Now.
Speaker 3: This isn't an inexpensive process. The price is going to start about five seventy five plus tax. But they're all on a big old bunch of compost. And right now, if you purchase their compost top dressing service, they are gonna air rate for free. So you say I want you to compost top dress, They're going to come out for free and air rate right now. This is a special deal okay, so now through fall, but you got to do two yard minimum of the compost top dressing. I mean you can't come out there and have them do you know, fifty square feet or something. Two yard minimum. But starting at five seventy five plus tax, that is a it is a very good deal. And I'm telling you when you do that, it's not just a sudden, quick and go away fix. It's it's building an improvement that lasts into your soiling, into your lawn. Greenpro dot net is their website, greenpro dot net if you want to give them a call. Two eight one three five one forty seven thirty three. Two eight one three five one forty seven thirty three. Let's go out to Tanglewood now and we're going to talk to Charles. Hello, Charles, Hey.
Speaker 19: Good morning. I have a Over the last few years, I've been very diligent in digging up the weeds in the yard and I'm so proud of it looks so great. And this year I had a grass that is a broad leaf, looks a whole lot like Saint Augustine's the dark green, and I've been dilicently digging it up. With all the rain and heat we had here recently, I didn't get to the yard, and it is growing like crazy, have blue blossom ons. I think from time to time. Could that be carried in by my lawnlorn cutany possibly? Or how do I get that?
Speaker 3: Because oh, I don't know how you got it, but if I saw a picture, I could be sure. But it sounds to me like dovewed. Something called dovewed. It's almost kind of a succulent, you know, as opposed to grass. It has a softer dinner blade. This one almost has a little bit of a fleshy thickness to it. But anyway, doveweed is what I believe you're dealing with. A Product called celsius can be used to knock that back if the area is not too big. There is a cinnamon based product that, uh it just you just sprink You get the dove weed wet, sprinkle this on it and it just turns it black really quick. Now, the long term goal is to get that grass so thick that the doveweed has trouble surviving in it, and don't over water the lawn because if you keep it constantly wet, the dove weed really can thrive better.
Speaker 19: Okay, all right, Well, I yeah, I don't do that. I I water once a week at the most most. Okay, And but I, okay, tell me the name of the product I need to get to put on it.
Speaker 3: I would do celsius. Like the temperature fahrenheit and celsius.
Speaker 19: Okay, and just get the wet and put that on it. Thank you very much, appreciate.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, okay, Wait a minute, that's combining two different things. The celsius is just a broad leaf post emergent herbicide. You spray it on the weeds, follow the label. Don't do it when the temperature is hot. So this in fact today, tomorrow, Monday, or going to be pretty sunny days as far as I see the weather. Uh, And you could go ahead and get it done now rather than waiting because we're gonna have some rainy the rest of the week. But uh. The the cinnamon thing is the other product, and it comes in a low canister, so it's more expensive per thousand square feet. In fact, a thousand would be a ton to sprinkle that cinnamon over. But if you just have small areas, you can also just use the cinnamon type product that sprinkles right over. It's called agralon. But if if you've got a bigger area of it, definitely the celsius.
Speaker 19: Okay, yeah, okay, Well, in my areas I've kept in a minimum they're the largest area is probably two feet by one foot and then okay, when I get your smaller ones, I just dig them up.
Speaker 10: Thank you much.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, yeah, you're right at Cleveland. If you got to any of your ACE stores out there, you got you got one importer that's probably closest to you. Uh and and and they're going to have those products. Okay, thank you, Hey, thank you, Charles. I appreciate that. Well, I run out of time here, folks, We're going to take another quick break. Ron in Cleveland. You are the very next up Surden centers. I was at at the Arborgate the other day and just walking around looking at the different things that they have in stock there, and I'm telling you, they are stocked up. Have you ever have you ever seen a something that is called a desert rose? A desert rose. They've got those there and they they're just beautiful. It's a real popular plant, by the way. Uh yeah, I don't know if I can describe it to you. It's a beautiful blooms come in many different kind of colors, big white, bulbous base. It's one of the hot plants right now. I see a lot of people really getting into desert rose, and that is one that's not that difficult to grow, but boy are they gorgeous, and they have them there. When you're at their Arborgate, you're going to find some of the cool seasoned plants are starting to arrive, like the kind that can take a little more heat, like Diantha. Shake it, they've got it there, pansy or excuse me, Petunias are there at Arburgate. And you know fall is a good time to do some warm season plants up into the first frost, so marigos up into the first frost, petunias up into the first frost, and first frost is a good ways away down this far south, so it's still a good time to get color as well as all your Halloween decorations. Arbrogate Garden Center for those of you who have been hiding under a rock somewhere. I don't know how anyone would not know where it is, but it is west of Tumbull on twenty nine to twenty just under a half mile west of Tombull, you can take Trishel Road, which is a loop that goes around behind Arburgate and either before or after Arbrogate turned on threshe will go around the back great parking lot back there. And you know, anytime you go to Arburgate you need to planned to be a while because there's a lot to see and a lot of very very helpful staff that know what they're talking about to help steer you in the right direction. I'm going to head now out to Cleveland, Texas and talk to Ron. Hello, Ron, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Come Morren Skip.
Speaker 20: Last week I talked to you and you gave me a website Aggie Turf, and I did more my weeds and there's one that I'm looking for and I found it's Behaya grass.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, and.
Speaker 20: I've got Bermuda lawn. So I'm trying to figure out and then I get online to start searching that and there's all kinds of stuff and it looks like a lot of its commercial grade stuff. So I'm kind of looking, uh for what I can use on Behaya grass that's in my Bermuda grass.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that that is a challenge. Behea grass is a good tough some people make. It doesn't make a great lawn, but some people use it for like out around the property areas where you just need a grass. You know that you can mow periodically and do pretty good. But it is a booger booger to get or rid of. I'm trying to think of that. The Bermuda so mets sulfur on M E T s U L f U R O N products with met sulfur on will control behea met sulfur on. And if you're up there in the Cleveland area, you've got some ace haarders, I know you've got an ACE heard they're in Porter. I would call them and see if they have a product that one of the brands is called. Oh gosh, I just went blank. I'll think of it here in a minute. Man or m A n O R m A n O R met sulfur on. That that is pretty good, uh in controlling Behea grass. Now it's long term control. It's a challenge. It's gonna knock it back. Some people have added some two four D N with the met sulfur on. I don't know why, but it messes it up and it doesn't do as well. So don't don't do any kind of a broad leaf in there when you're doing it. Just go with that met sulfur on uh. And I think I'm trying to think of another another option. Manner is one of them. There's a product BN. I've seen the manner, and I've seen the.
Speaker 10: Two four D.
Speaker 3: I was Google searching and then yeah, does it?
Speaker 20: Uh does a pre emergent herbicide help control that?
Speaker 3: Well, for the for that which is coming from seeds, it would, But Behaea is gonna be perennial, and it's gonna if you've got behaea, you've got behea uh. And so you know I I would I wouldn't. I wouldn't worry about it, you know, I mean I wouldn't have tried to do the pre emergent.
Speaker 20: I'm gonna do pre emergent in this two times a year, if I remember correctly. Here coming up now it's cool then in the spring to help control a bunch of everything else. But then I had seen that two to four D and I've seen that man or listed Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, don't don't mix those Yeah, don't mix those two together. I'm trying to think of some other products. I need a minute to check on some of the other the brands that are gonna end the combinations I know they did. Oh what was the one there was some success? Well, I don't want to say names of brands online until I've had a chance to make sure they're okay with with Bermuda. So myself around Methol is going to give you about probably sixty percent success. But there are some combinations you can put with it. If you want to, I'll put you on hold and if you want to, if you want to email me, I can send you that information directly. How about that? And if you don't care about it, then just hang up. That's fine.
Speaker 10: Great.
Speaker 3: Thanks for the appreciate Thanks for the calls. Appreciate appreciate that very much. Hey, Peerscapes knows what they're doing when it comes to taking care of your landscape. You know, Peerscapes has been around a while and they've got everything from designers on staff. If you want a full fledged design of beautiful outdoor areas, you know, stone walkways and outdoor stone barbecue pit areas and just they can do all that. They can fix drainage problems, they can fix irrigation problems. They can create landscape lighting that makes a world of difference in your property. Peerscapes dot com is the website peerscapes dot com. Here's the phone number. Write this down two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty. Go though to the website peerscapes dot com and you can see what I'm talking about when I talk about their ability to transform your place into some and you will hang out in the house you just want to live outside. Get through turning your landscape into something really, really special. We're get to head now out to Clear Lake and talk to Jim.
Speaker 5: Hello, Jim, good morning.
Speaker 16: I wanted to know about treating the lawn again.
Speaker 5: I had put down.
Speaker 16: Bug Out and Eagle at the same time the last time we had a dry spell, which was about almost two weeks ago, and walking in the yard today, I've got probably with every step, I've got six or so moss flying up. And I'm just wondering if it's permissible to put bug out down again.
Speaker 3: How long ago did you do it?
Speaker 5: Close to two weeks ago.
Speaker 3: You do not need to do it again if you put it out correctly. At the right rate, got good even coverage and stuff. You should be fine. A bug out is going to last, you know, at least a couple of months, if not longer. And so you're good if you've made that application. Now, it's not going to kill the moth. And here's why the moth is not down in the thatch. Where the bugout is the larvae that eat your lawn or down in the thatch. So those moths are laying eggs or dropping eggs down in your grass and they hatch out into the larva at the grass. Assuming this is a side web worm, there are a lot of moths out there, Jim and I, I don't know that you have side web worm. You could, but I don't know that you do. If you had pictures, you could send me of the moths, capture one, I could tell you. But the bug out, if it's down in your thatch, you got a little water to kind of soak it off the granules and into the that you should be okay.
Speaker 16: So I don't see any webs in the lawn at all, So okay.
Speaker 3: Well, the other thing to look for is go down on your hands and knees and grass blades. Look like something was taken chumps out of the sides, you know, like people are just biting chomps out of the caterpillar, just biting chomps out of the site. That that's another sign that you got the active weburn. Okay, okay, all right, welcome, welcome, Welcome back to Garden Line. Good to have you with us. You are listening to a show that's here to help you have a bountiful garden and a beautiful landscape. It's a show to help you have fun out there in the garden. Yeah, gardening is supposed to be fun, not work, and you're supposed to have success, not frustrating experiences of failure. And that's why we're here. When it comes to fertilizing your lawn, if you are looking for a product that's got a good high nitrogen content that is a natural based product, sweet Green from Nitroposs is a product you ought to take a good hard look at. This stuff smells great, it's got eleven percent nitrogen, the highest of most any of the organic type products you're going to find. And when you put it out, it dissolves the way into the lawn and it stimulates my chrobial activity. Carbon. It's a molasses base, so that's a sugar. That's a carbon based product, and that's what my groups go for as a carbon And when you do that, you're going to see an enhancement of the root zone of the planet. You're going to have the nutrients of course available that nitrogen to give them a little boost. You're going to find sweet grain at a lot of different places. Bearings Hardware, both the one on Bissonette and Westheimer are going to have it. If you want to go out to Katie, if you're out in the Richmond Rosenberg area a plantation ace hardware for example, what have its would kt as hardware up there in Pinoak. I'm Katie. We're going to go now to Paula, Missouri City. Hello Paul, and welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: YEA, good morning, Skip. I have a question regarding.
Speaker 17: My oak tree. Where the main branch is split away from the trunk. There's like a little well or something there. Because I saw a weed growing out of there, I reached up and.
Speaker 7: Pulled it out.
Speaker 17: It had its own independent root system, so it must have been a bunch of over the years, decayed leaves and stuff that it's just a.
Speaker 7: Mortars in there.
Speaker 17: How can I fill that void so that I don't get wrought?
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's not a way. So if it's just the outer bark that's decomposing, you probably still have healthy tissues underneath it that are going to prevent access to the anterior wood. Sometimes when branch angles are narrow, as the trunk gets bigger and the branch gets bigger, it presses that dead bark together and that's where you get those areas that'll catch water, that'll rod decay, and it's a great place for a seed to land and grow something. But if it's bad enough, you can end up with a splitting down in that area as they push each other apart as they grow in diameter. There's no putting something in there to fill it or fix it. In fact, that'd be the wrong thing to try to do in this particular situation. Uh, it's just a matter of kind of it is what it is. If it's a larger branch, and if you know, if you could go back in time when that branch was smaller and do some pruning, that that could have been alleviated. But at this point in time, you might want to have an arborus look at it. You know, have Martin an affordable tree. Come out and take a look at it and see if he would recommend anything. Because I can't see it, he would be able to look at it and he may recommend something. But in general that that happens even in nature quite a bit.
Speaker 17: Okay, I understand, okay, thank you very much.
Speaker 3: All right, thanks Paul, appreciate very much you calling in here at Garden Line Nature's Way. Resources is up. It's north Interstate forty five toward Conro and if you haven't been out there, you need you need to go check it out. And here's why I say that. Number one, they have a nice little garden center with a lot of native plants and other things there that you can purchase. That you can buy bags of compost out there. By the way, their Fungal Friday sale is still on twenty percent off their fungal compost and fungal compost just like the leap mo compost. You can use a fungal compost as a compost top dressing. If you want, you mix it in the soil as a compost. You can even throw it on the top of the soil. Is a little bit of a multch up on the surface, but primarily I would use it in the soil or on the surface for a top dressing primarily, but twenty percent off that's a great deal. By the way, I'm going to be out there at their fall festival. I know it's a long time away October twelfth. October twelfth, that's a long time away, but I'll be out there and from a nine point thirty or from nine to two is when the festival's gone on. I'll tell you more about it. You got to go to Nature's Way though. They are where a lot of our best soil products had their birth. That's where they began at Nature's Way Resources on Sherwood Circle, just so right where fourteen eighty eight comes into Interstate forty five. You just if you're going north toward Conrod, just turn right, go across there and across the tracks and you'll be there at Nature's Way. We're going to go now out to Spring and talk to John. Hey, John, welcome to Guardline. Good morning, skid it for are you? I'm well, sir? How can we help?
Speaker 4: I think I've got goose grass in one section of my Saint Augustine lawn and I've hit it with the hervis side they usually use, which I think is a fahrenheit based What can knock it out with that necessarily killing the Saint Augustine.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a that is a problem. Goosegrass is. It's a very troublesome weed for us here in the South, especially they deal with it on golf courses and you know those kinds of things. It's an annual grass though, so if it truly is goosegrass, you're dealing with it's an annual So I would say next, make sure you get your pre emergent application of barricade down in February or I'd say mid February for that one, uh, and watered in really good, and then you prevent it from coming back at this stage. You know, when it's later on in the process, it's it's more difficult to deal with. There are some products that used to be out there that are no longer on the market anymore, so it kind of limits us in effective post emergent goose grass control. But if you want, if you wanted to dab or use my weed wiper that I have online, if you wanted to put a product on the sponges of the weed wiper and dab it just on the goose grass and not on your other grass. Uh, then you're going to find that that works pretty well. Also, you know it kind of you know, it comes out of the ground soar, it turns flat and goes in all directions you can get you can dab. I mean you couldab a grass killer. You could ab life a s eate type product right there on it and get it on the goose grass without getting it on the desirable grass, which is your turf grass.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, it sounds like and this one hasn't been around more than just from this spring and the like, so I don't know if it's going to make it through the winner. But if it's annual, like you said, maybe the attack is in the spring.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah. So if you'll go online to my website gardening with skip dot com, it shows how to build my weed wiper. There's other ways you can build a weed wiper, but there's one there. And then there's a thing called herbicides for the weed wiper. And if you go down to the grass row, you'll see the products that I would use on that goosegrass for dabbing it. Dabbing it on. Okay, Okay, I did.
Speaker 4: I did see the weed wiper the other day, so I know where to find that.
Speaker 7: So thank you for that, Skip.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just a separate publication. In fact, I think it's a top in the list right now if you go right now, all right, thanks John, appreciate it. All right, Let's go to Jim in Lake City. Hello, Jim, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 21: Morning, Skip Skip. I have a question about fruiting, Okra, And you talk about a fun plant having fun in your garden. That's been the most fun I've experienced a long time, and going out and looking at those pods, it's a challenge every day.
Speaker 3: Okay, But.
Speaker 10: What's the proper way to proNT it?
Speaker 3: Well? Number one, you don't need to print it at all as it's growing. If you planted it early in the season, it tends to kind of play out toward midsummer late toward the end of summer, you can cut it back as far as you want. Sometimes people take it back to knee high and then you'll get re sprouts out of the side that will then begin fruiting in time. Takes them a while to sprout and regrow. But what I will often do is uh, if the if the crop, the patch itself is starting to decline, I'll cut back every other one, and that way I still have some that I'm getting some fruit from. And then I can cut the others back when those that are first cut back are starting to fruit, and you can kind of get a second wind out of that, okra if it's declining. If not, I just leave it. Mine is still producing just fine right now.
Speaker 10: Well I was, I was referring more to the side branches.
Speaker 21: Oh okay, do you need to do anything with them?
Speaker 16: Now?
Speaker 3: You can? You can cut them off or you can let it make a big bush. Either way is fine. If you plant it close enough, you don't get as much side branching. Uh, you end up with a bunch of fishing poles sticking straight up in the air.
Speaker 10: Yep, okay, okay, all right, well I needed to know. Well, thanks a lot. Enjoy the program.
Speaker 3: All right, all I thank you, Jim. Appreciate that call. I hear music that just means surprisingly enough in other hours in the books here on Guardline. Freeda up there in Pasadena, which didn't catch you this hour, but you'll be first up when we come back. If you are able to hang around. I want to remind you after the show today, I'm going to make a beeline for the Montgomery County Fall Home, an outdoor living show that's at the Lone Star Convention Center up on the north side of the east side of Conro. Come on and see me. I'm be given a talk on fall gardening. I'll be answering your gardening questions. I'll be there for two hours from twelve to two. I hope you'll come by. Of those who show up, we're going to be given away some products. You might win one of organic microlife products such as the green jugs of six to four and the one I was just talking about earlier, the bio matrix, the liquid orange label really good quality. Hey, come by, you might win one.
Speaker 22: This September, hummingbird migration is under way and wild Birds Unlimited as your hummingbird headquarters with everything you need to attract nature's most fascinating birds. Wild Birds Unlimited has six Houston area stores. Go to w BU dot com slash Houston to find the store nearest to you.
Speaker 15: An ax sur services advertised on this program.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skip Richter's.
Speaker 8: Rim.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as we.
Speaker 3: Give peace to set a sound. Hey, welcome back to Garden Line. Glad to have you with us tonight. Good to have you with us. We're looking forward to visiting with you. I'm going to run out the phone drive quick here and we're gonna to talk to Freda in Pasadena, Frida. Thanks for hanging on. We want to go ahead and help you right now if we can.
Speaker 10: Oh.
Speaker 23: Yes, I think it was very Saturday. I was listening to you, and I'm really paying a whole lot of attention because I didn't think I had a need, but I was Hatphew who discovered this week that he's got a bad problem with roots under his house in Quibentic City. And I think I know there was somebody that called it last week about this problem. And while you don't really specialize you make, I think you did give him the name of somebody that he could contact that he would know how to take care of this properly.
Speaker 24: And I'm wondering if you could give me that name.
Speaker 3: Yes, it's fixed my slab, that foundation repair. The guy's name is ty Ty Strickland and here's the phone number two eight one two five five forty forty nine two eight one two five five forty nine forty nine. If you want to write down the website, that would be helpful fix myslab dot com.
Speaker 23: Yeah, all right, okay, okay, So he would know how to do this properly, take care of the probably the roots, and what's about the plumbing or whatever.
Speaker 7: Get it.
Speaker 3: Well, he's a he's a foundation expert, so he can handle He can discuss all of that, including what might be able to be done to the root system. Okay, I would talk to Ty. I trust him. He's been doing this a long time. Uh, and he definitely will not steer you wrong. I know that.
Speaker 23: Okay, thank you so much, you bet.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Fred. I appreciate your call. Hey, folks, guess what we're going to do for the next thirty minutes. We're going to talk to David Williamson from RCW Nursery and Williamson Tree Farm up in Plannersville. You hear me talk about RCW in the past. Now I would say they they have great trees because they grow gray trees themselves up in Plannersville. Hey, David, welcome to garden Line. Good morning, good morning, Glad you could join us. Thanks for taking time out this morning, Uh, to visit with us a little bit. I'm gonna pick I'm gonna pick your brain about trees we got. You know, we say on guard line the three things that makes our phone ring or the trees, turf and tomatoes. Those three things, three tea's and trees are a big part of it. The most important things in life. No, seriously, everybody's worried about their lawn and their trees, and so I want to visit with you about some different things. I know you guys grow a lot of great trees up there at the tree farm in Plannersville. Uh, you and I both, I think we had a was it an email or I don't know. Somehow we were contacted this week and someone wanted a tree for what was it like a retirement neighborhood where the lots were smaller, and what were some that you recommended? I believe. Uh do you remember that there was discussing?
Speaker 8: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I do. Yeah, there's some small, small trees that do well and try to Maples born. I guess twenty twenty five feet tall Chinese friends a little slore growing, but it's you have to twenty five pretty feet tall as well, those are good for small also, the larger creakments like Natchez Muskogee's, those can be a nice small tree if you don't realize they really can. They put them on a corner.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, do you guys when y'all are growing them, do you do those in multi stem and single stem both? Or how do you generally print those?
Speaker 5: Most of them are multi but I do grow a few singles, so that would be like a little single.
Speaker 3: Tree trunk mini tree. Yeah, okay, well, Chinese friends one of my favorite.
Speaker 5: Go ahead, Oh no, it's that's my favorite tree that's in my yard. I took out the three live oaks they put in my yard and I put it in a fringe tree in a mountain hall.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 5: It's well, it's just the three live oaks for a fifty five foot lot.
Speaker 3: Is just too much. Yeah, yeah, that's true. Uh, And sometimes people forget that there are some fruit types of trees, like the couple of peaches. I think you guys recommend a couple of plums, And could you tell us a little bit about if someone wanted to go for a spring flowering tree like that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the red barren peach is another good peach, but it does fruit. It's a it puts on a show of pink flowers in the spring. And the other one is a red peppermint peach, which is an ornamental. No fruit. It's like the white and pink berganty flower.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like little peppermint candies. The flowers look like peppermint candy exactly.
Speaker 5: They're really pretty. I mean it lasts maybe three four weeks, but it is a pretty so like the French tree doesn't bloom long, but it's it's a pretty tree. Mm.
Speaker 3: The Mexican plum I think is a good one too, isn't it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Mexican plums a good one. It'll stress out in this heat, but in the summertime, but it's otherwise it's a native. It does very well here. Okay, good cloud purple plum is another one. It's a it's a non fruiting plum that's got pretty foliage as well as some flowers.
Speaker 3: Well, David, I've been a broken record. Oh yes, red of course, red buds.
Speaker 5: Those are those are gorgeous red buds.
Speaker 3: Oh and you have the Texas that's a that's a very tough one right there, kind of leathery round it a little more round leaf. Yeah, that's that's exactly like that.
Speaker 5: Good.
Speaker 3: I've been a broken record about fall is the best planning season of the year. You know, in spring we all have spring fever. But it's fall, and boy do we ever need to be planting? Uh? And so I would like to give a start. We're gonna got a couple of minutes for it to take a break, but I'd like to to hear you talk about how would you recommend someone getting ready for bringing a tree into plant? What kinds of a prep would you recommend or Yeah, other things they might need to be aware of.
Speaker 5: Well, definitely, the fall is the best time of plant We plant year round. But but Paul, when our time is a prime time. But getting the making sure you have an area that's you know, you spaced it properly, and make sure you have the We use a product called black humus. It's a decomposed pine that we mixed in with the native soil. We dig the whole in a large area inches wide, Yeah, we did. We dig the whole about six inches wider than the container all the way around, mix up the native sal We don't want to completely take out native soil. We want to somewhat get the tree acclimated through the area. And then we add we add micro locke products in the whole with it. And then we also use UH a product called coral Pool rougt vatter We've been using thirty years or so. When we use that as a rogtivator, it's organic, it won't burn, and it's still We put that on when we install and recommend the customer doing it.
Speaker 3: Once a month. Yeah, well that's true.
Speaker 5: It's critical.
Speaker 3: Yes, all right, tell a little about that.
Speaker 5: I mean this, you know, get into the fall, fall time, summer, fall time, summertime. You get to water probably three times a week when we're not getting rain, and some times the rain it's not even even going to go. I'd be enough for some trees, depends on the size you bought it, but all right, three times a week with a hose and not relying on the irrigation system or having some kind of drip system or having a weanush forget that little apparass we sell that goes around. Yeah, it goes around the tree.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, well, let's come back to that. They're telling me in my ear, we gotta go to commercial and I'll come right back with you, folks. Keep listening. We're going to spend the next segment also talking with David about trees and tree success. We'll be right back hardline folks. We are glad to have you with us and looking forward to talking to you in a bit.
Speaker 5: Here.
Speaker 3: Right now, we're visiting with David Williamson of RCW Nurseres. That's the garden center where Tomball Parkway two forty nine comes into beut Wag eight. It's really easy to get to there and they're always loaded up with stuff. He also is one of the owners of the tree farm up in Plantersville where they get their trees from, and that is our topic right now. We're talking about trees because right now is the time when we need to be getting ready for the best planning season of the year, especially with the ornamentals. You can plan them twelve months out of the year here, but the best one is coming up. And so that's why I wanted David to talk to us a little bit about trees. David, we were discussing, you know, the importance of watering a tree in really well, you know, when you plant it, and you mentioned the little tree hugger sprinklers that you put around the tree makes it really easy to water a small area or a large area. But what people I think don't realize is, especially during the summer heat, trees need a little drink pretty often when they first get planted. I think the Forest Service says three times a week a couple of gallons, three times a week or something, depends on the size of the tree, and then after a month two times a week, and after another month one time a week or something. But people don't realize that while a big mature tree gets watered very seldom, more as a rescue these little trees they need a lot of help because they have such a small, confined root system for a good while after planting. Do you want to comment on that?
Speaker 5: That is the most critical thing to me. They're water They're water daily in a container. So when you put them from a container to the ground, they they need to make sure they're going to not dry out as quickly, but they need to make sure they get soaked and not rely on the grass sprinkler system. You know, it depends on the size of the tree, but definitely the amount depends on the side.
Speaker 3: Okay, well, and that's true and again, folks, the Texas Forest Service website has got information on watering new trees and it is very very helpfully even have a thank some video on there. H Yeah, I you know, I I tell people and this is this makes sense to me, so I hope it makes sense to other people. But when you plant a tree or shrub, pretend that you just took the pot with the plant and buried the pot in the ground. And if you pretend that, don't do that, but pretend that then when you go to water, you would know exactly where to water, right because you know, watering two feet out away from it, there's no roots out there, and so now gradually roots move out. But I think people if they will direct that water to the that around the plant, knowing as you said, they get water every day in the nursery, so now it's in the ground, you still need to do that for a little while.
Speaker 5: That's right. Let me let me ask issue with trees.
Speaker 3: You mean the post plant care people not taking care of them.
Speaker 5: Well, just not realizing the water is so critical and we try to relate, okay jeweled into them. But it's especially in the summertime that you can't go on vacation for two weeks and you know and expect your irrigation system to handle unless you have a designated gip line to that tree.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a that is a that is a good point. Everybody wants to plant a tree and hang a hammock in it as soon as possible in order to in order to get from planting to hammock, you got to get a lot of growth. And you know, fertilizer is important, but boy, watering is more important in terms of successful establishment and fast growth even than the important editions of fertilizer. So okay, let me ask you a question. What if I were to ask you, what are some of your favorite landscape trees for eastern area. We talked about, you know, some of the smaller trees, uh Chinese friend, some of the Plumb's beach and so on. Uh, what what would be some of your favorite larger trees for a landscape medium to large size.
Speaker 5: I like the chickapan oaks. I like the santelepe red maple. It's an ace or that we grow. It's a there's a slick cutting off of a female. That's a tree that has a little red blooms and always spring, that's slowly showstopper in the spring. That's a very fast growing shade tree. And it's you know, it's usually well here in town or out throughout the southeast part Sexes. But I like the Mexican white oaks too, corcous, polymorphose. Okay, I'm always a big thing shooting the nut all the red, all red, all red oaks. She more than nuttall mm hmm. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And you guys, you guys carry those. I was you know, I'm a fan of ot all oak, especially because a lot of our areas over here can be kind of poorly drained, and so having a having an oak that's a little more tolerant of that, which I think not all is is a good thing. I'm glad you guys carried those.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it seemed to grow a little faster to me than the smoorg you know, growing out side by side. I noticed that, Okay. I also like the Mexican Mexican sycamores. It seems to be a good one the foliage and also the the trunk like American too, but the the sycamore has always been a good one for for some texture in the foliage and also the chunk.
Speaker 3: Yeah, would you would you elaborate, like, what about the foliage and trunk do you like on a Mexican sycamore.
Speaker 5: The Mexican sycamore has a silvery back on the foliage and then the the Americans just more of a matt finish, I mean, just a reggae back and then right, I think that Mexicans have that silver silvery on the front of the leaf as well, and you get the real she had the bark and get the pretty bark every time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the Mexican sycamore seems a little less prone to some of the problems that plague the American sycamore.
Speaker 5: Right, they're more more resistance and thragnos.
Speaker 3: Mhm.
Speaker 5: That's another function. So it's it's I mean for to go with the to go with the Mexican.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's a lot. That's another go ahead.
Speaker 5: We have this new live oak where we're growing called Joan Leonardi live oak. It's a it's a it's actually a subspecies of Circus Virginiana that's the one that's found by this guy in Arizona. Gets twenty five thirty feet tall, but it's a small, medium tree. It's a good treet it's evergreen. It's really pretty. I got them in thirty gallons down. That's I'm really pressed how it grows.
Speaker 3: That's not that is a more compact size for live oaks. You know they can get a lot bigger than that over time.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, it's yeah. I know what else. I surprised myself this fact. And the guy so he has one growing probably about fifteen twenty years. It's probably about twenty five thirty feet tall and wide.
Speaker 3: Wow. Okay, that's like, well, you know, back in the day, we had these huge properties, you know, the typical downtown. You know, you live in an old neighborhood and you have a third of an acre or bigger lawn. And now with every subdivision development, it seems like the lot lines keep getting closer and closer where you can reach out your house and window and close your neighbors blind because there's no room between the houses.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 3: It's finding smaller, more compact yeah, yeah, finding smaller, more compact versions of trees like this live oak. You're just mentioning that's a great idea.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm anxious to see how grows. We just put some in the forty five and bigger pots at the farm, and we've planted quite a few over the last i'd say the last month and a half. I'm anxious to see how they do.
Speaker 3: Good and good.
Speaker 5: The other trees I like is I like the gd blanch of magnoiees for bigger magnoies. I do like your little gems for a smaller magnolia. And Teddy Bear.
Speaker 3: Teddy Bear, doesn't it have more of the brownish color on the on the fuzzy foliage the bottom of the leaf.
Speaker 5: On the back of a bit. And it's also one of golos you get twenty feet tall. I've never seen one really fully grown, but that's what the gentleman that patted it said. It only gets twenty feet tall.
Speaker 3: Wow, that is very compact. Little gym is more compact and growth habit. But it keeps growing. It gets a little bigger than that.
Speaker 5: It gets the better probably, but it also is the best bloomber in my opinion too, the little gym.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, just it's very profuse blow Okay, all right? Any other any other favorites out there? We shift gears here.
Speaker 5: I like. I don't see a lot of people ask for with the swamp by color oaks another big leaf oak tree. And the burrow is another good one. Flower growing trees, but they're really big leaf oaks.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah they they burroke bur oaks can get huge in time, but their.
Speaker 5: Beautiful massive there over night.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Now the swamp by color, I've never grown that one. That's an it's a white oak.
Speaker 5: Right, it's a white oak family. Yeah, that's a military I forgot I mentioned it is the white oak. I like the carcass uh alba. It's it's always great fall color.
Speaker 3: Okay, I like that white as well. You know, fall color is is difficult to come by as far south as we are, and probably the best fall colored plants shouldn't be planted here. Things like Chinese tallow does does really well as fall.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well right, but gray color, but don't grow it. Yes, we comes, okay, you guys grow the slender silhouette. Right.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's another good one. That's upright, good for very small space if people using for baffles or for a break. Not really more of an accent tree than anything, but a really good fall color.
Speaker 3: I was driving through a neighborhood this past week and saw some of those lined up right beside the driveway and they probably had like only four feet from the driveway to the fence, and these things were just going straight up and I think get a little wider than four. But you know, it was not many trees would fit that area, but this one sure looked good. They looted a line of soldiers going down the driveway.
Speaker 5: Very pretty tree. They just people don't don't mind them dropping their leaves. They're they're really good tree.
Speaker 3: Mm hmm. Those are all yeah, those are all good suggestions. And you know, with fall being the prime time uh to to plant woody ornamentals, especially uh time to get the soil ready. David was talking about some things to do uh that they do there and then the planning process some things that they do. But as you really want to encourage you folks, remember the best time to plant a tree was forty years ago. Second best times today. In other words, don't wait, let's get it done. What is that? What is the saying, David, something like a society goes is great when old men plant trees that they'll never sit underneath the shade of themselves.
Speaker 5: So yeah, that's true.
Speaker 3: I think that's a great so yeah, an o fello up in Willis, Texas showed me pictures one time and Jim Smith of a tree that he planted when he was young at their little house, like in the nineteen forties. And then he showed me the picture of the tree today and it was like you could hardly see the house. The tree was so big and beautiful, and it just reminds me of the fact that you pick a good tree, you plant it right, and you take care of it right, and for decades and decades people enjoy it. David, I'm so sorry we're already out of time. I've been had a good time. Thanks for taking time out of your morning. Tell us a little bit about now I talk about RCW all the time. Tell us a little bit about what people can how people can get to Williamson Tree Farm and your hours and stuff. If they wanted to come just by tree directly up there and Planetsville.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you can go to our website Williamsontreefarm dot com and then you can also make an appointment on there. We take a tour of the farm and also the hours are from usually seven to twelve and then one to five. They don't be taking all right much all right, and then we do have we do sell to the public up there as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, Hey, thanks so much. I'm glad we were able to squeeze in at least as much as we did. You're a wealth of knowledge and a pleasure to visit with, David. Thanks again for coming on.
Speaker 5: Thank you skip.
Speaker 3: Hey, glad you're listening today. Thanks for listening. If you would like to give me a call and talk about the things that you have questions about. Seven one three two win two k t RH. I want to thank David Williamson again from RCW Nursery and Williamson Tree Farm for being on with those last couple of segments. Uh, just kind of picking his brain on things related to trees. Remember, folks, fall is for planting and especially woody ornamentals, tree shrubs and woody vines. Also perennials. Fall is for planting. It's the best time of the year, perennial herbs, perennial flow hours, ornamental grasses. We could go on and onund most groundcovers that we have, this is the time to get them planted, and now's the time to make sure that you've done what you need to do to get that soil in its top condition and Landscaper's Pride has a number of products that will help you do just that. They've got the rose mix, for example, super good product. It says rose, but any kind of tree shrub, even a perennial, could go into a rose mix and do really well. They have a premium potting mix, very very high quality potting soil that includes all the things you need to have success with that plant, including good drainage. But it holds water, but it's got the microbial content and all the stuff that makes plants thrive. Do you have areas of the lawn that are low you need to fill in? How about their top soil? It is a sandy loam types of soil that you put down in there. They have versions of it. You can blend a little compost with it if you want, But that does really good because it does fill those areas and doesn't sink down like a compost alone would. As it decomposes away. The top soil itself is going to hold up much better now. Black velvet mulch on top of the soil. It's always time to mulch in the summer heat. Yes, you have to mulch with rain and erosion and crusting. Yes, you need to mulch. Maintaining the soil moisture. Mulch is important, perhaps the most one of the most important things with their black velvet mulch is it's going to do an excellent job at suppressing weed seeds and it looks beautiful. It's not dyet, it's naturally black velvet. Again from Landscaper's Pride. You can go to Landscaperspride dot com find out more about it if you want to learn more or where to get on tea. This are widely available. Those products are very, very widely available. We were talking about Microlife earlier on and a lot of the different products they have. I'm always trying out new ones. They've got several new products on the market, trying those out, seeing how they do. So when I talk to you, I can tell you, well, I've done it, this is what it did, this is how it worked. I think that's very very important. Microlife focuses on creating products that are going to stimulate the microbial activity. They also contain microbes, so they add to the microbial levels, but they build the soil. That's the secret. You know, humates plus the final decomposition of compost is humous and humates plus is the zero four fertilizer applied periodically over the course of the years. Just each time you do it, it's going to make the soil a little bit better, a little bit better, a little bit better, and you end up with something high quality. And you can do that whenever you're doing any of your fertilizations. You know it's fall. Fertilization is coming up here really soon, and with the organics like microlife, you're going to get a release as microbes break those products down, and so it's time to start looking at those. But always remember to include that hemates plus when you do or anytime of the year. You don't have to do it when you're fertilize because it works really well. I'm going to go now out to the woodlands and we're going to talk to Susan. Hello, Susan, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 25: Thank you Skip, thanks for taking my call. I wanted to ask you if it would be okay to put out my weed beater and bug out today or to wait until after we have all these rains which we're supposed to have in a couple of days.
Speaker 3: You can do them both. Today if you want, are you on the bug out? You could wait until after the range. You're still going to want a little bit of water to wash the product off the granule. But if we're going to get gully washers upon gully washers, it might be good to hold off on the bugout. You can do the weed beater today, because if you even have a few hours for it to move into the plant, it's going to go ahead and finish its job during the time when the rain is coming the rest of the week. So we got plenty of time. If you could do it today or tomorrow, I would get it done then, just to be well ahead of that rain, and you'll be okay on the bug out.
Speaker 13: Okay, great, I'm scared.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry. I said that backwards. I said that backwards. At the end, let me let me clarify you. I said, you'll be fine on the bug out. I mean you'll be fine on the weed beater. The weed beater gets on the plant, moves into the weed, and then from there it doesn't matter if it rains the bug out. I think I would hold since we're gonna have a lot of days of rain, all things being think got hold off and then okay, thank.
Speaker 11: You, Okay, thank you.
Speaker 3: Sometimes sometimes I get tongue tied and crossed up. Thanks that I'm trying to say. Uh, you know, Southwest Fertilizer is a place where you're going to get products. I'm just talking about microlife they've got that, They've got ever fertilizer I talk about. Uh, Southwest has every product you can imagine. If you hear me recommend something, it's going to be at Southwest because they have every thing. They don't have it, you don't need it. That's how I like to put it, because it's a fact. Southwest Fertilizer is on the corner of Bissonette and Runwick in Southwest Houston. That makes sense. It's been around since nineteen fifty five. That store has a selection of synthetic and organic products no matter what you need, even tools. You need a tool, well you're gonna have to shop an eighty foot wall of all kinds of tools, including the little grabber device that you used to make my weed wipe. Make my weed wiper that I keep talking about online. Bob's got that, yep, of course he does. He has everything. Southwest Fertilizer Dot com is the website. Check him out. Everything you need is gonna be right there. Let's go now to Sheldon, Texas. Is that right and talk to Glenn.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, sir, Like.
Speaker 3: Okay, Glenn, I got about almost a minute, and then we'll go to Brighton finish up with your question. So what is the basic question?
Speaker 8: The basic question is I want to plant some type of a cane as a proxy barrier down a fans line on my propey. Is there a difference between cane and bamboo?
Speaker 3: Yes, the cane you see, there's a thing called Georgia cane you see on road side sometimes sort of growing wild. It's a big, old, floppy thing. I wouldn't recommend it down a property really. Bamboos are fine, but bamboos run and they take over a bigger area. There are clumping bamboos there. But when you start buying bamboo plants to go down the property line, you're going to be spending a lot of money. So that would be one of the concerns that I would have about it, Glenna. I did want to at least get started on your call. Can you hold when we come back from break, we'll continue this discussion. I can you bet, I'll be right back. Welcome back to Guarden Line. Hey, good to have you with us. We're glad you were in us today. We've been talking with Glenn about some things. We're going to head straight back out there as well. Hey Glenn, uh So, I had a couple of questions for you. How long of a run do you need to make on this row of plants? And also how wide can it be? In other words, in most yards, you know, you get something that's too wide and it takes up half your yard. Or is this more of a big property wherewidth isn't so important.
Speaker 8: Well, my property is consisted of two lots, which is let's see a hundred by one hundred.
Speaker 3: Feet, okay now, and you want to.
Speaker 25: Go around them now, I just want to go down.
Speaker 8: This one fence line, which would be approximately one hundred feet. Now. What I've noticed is I lived close to the textis Parks and Wildlife Sheldon Lake, and I've noticed that they've got a lot out of what looks like cane that that I get this grows wild. I'm not sure if they planted at one point in time years ago that it's just been there a wild but I've noticed that it's got small stems that are probably no more than an inch in diameter, and I've never seen them grow any taller than about six to eight stay tall. And I've also never seen I've never seen them free. They they look like they've stayed green all year round.
Speaker 3: And this is not a bamboo.
Speaker 7: No, it looks like a came to me.
Speaker 3: Okay, all right, well, I mean, you know, i've seen something outgrown wild, but it gets a little bigger than that the ones I've seen. But that's an option.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 3: Another good good plant would be the Japanese u y e w h. You see this in places you go into little gardens where they want to read like a separate room outdoors in the garden, they'll plant a row of Japanese you and share them on the sides and make this wall of foliage that's very dense and it's evergreen. That's the other important thing is being evergreen pregnants of block blocking of view rather than just the summertime. So Japanese would be a choice. Oh gosh, uh, where where are you located?
Speaker 8: I'm I'm like around the cosby. I'm actually in a little area called Hielding, but I'm close.
Speaker 3: Okay, Okay, well, uh where we get out there? You how far would it be? You're you're a distance up from uh Worren Southern Gardens up in in Kingwood, and then you're a little distance from going down to Moss and Seabrooks. I'm trying to think of, you know who the closest.
Speaker 8: Closer to me then just about anywhere?
Speaker 3: Okay? Yeah, well Warree Southern Gardens would be a place i'd call and see. Give them a call and say, hey, look I'm talking to Skip on guardline. Do you guys have any Japanese use and how much are they? What size you had, all that kind of stuff. They'll get you. They'll get you the skinny on that. I think you'll find success. Just a minute ago, I was talking with David at Williamson Tree Farm. They're up in Plantersville, but they sell through RCW their other outlet, and I know that we have a number of kinds of Japanese ues. You might want to go up since you're looking for quite a few, you may want to go get them directly from up at the tree Farm too.
Speaker 8: What was the ball number for this place that you just that you just mentioned in the name of the place.
Speaker 3: Are we talking about the tree farm? Are we talking about Warren's Garden Center?
Speaker 8: You mentioned the Japanese you.
Speaker 3: We both? Yeah, so both places were One Southern Garden is up in Kingwood.
Speaker 7: Okay, that's the one. Yeah, yeah, and.
Speaker 3: Uh the tree farm is Williamson Tree Farm up in Plantersville. So either way you want to either way you want to go about it? Do you do? You you said you needed a.
Speaker 5: Phone number precobing lawns.
Speaker 7: If you have the dandy, Yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Do, I do. Let me pull it up here and get it right in front of me. I can get get it. There we go two eight one three five four, sixty one eleven O two eight three five four two eight two eight one three five four and then sixty one eleven.
Speaker 8: I got you. Okay, you bet.
Speaker 3: Good luck with that. Good luck with you? All right, folks, you're listening to guard Line. The phone number if you like, give me a call seven one three two one two k t R H. We're running out of time here, but we would be able to catch you in the next segment. If you're down south of and west of Houston. Enchanted Gardens is out there in the Richmond Rosenberg area, and boy do they ever have an outstanding selection of all kinds of things. Uh, if you are into hummingbirds, they've got all kinds of plants that attract hummingbirds. By the way, did you know today is National Hummingbird Day? Happy National Hummingbirds Day. Sorry I didn't send your card, but anyway, Uh it is, and it is hummingbird season here in the South to so go get some plants for hummingbirds. At Enchanted Gardens Nursery, you know, they're going to have pretty much everything you can imagine from beautiful outdoor blaying, you know, statuaries and all kinds of the decorative kinds of things. If you're decorating for Halloween and the fall. Oh my gosh, they are loaded up on that kind of thing. When you go to Enchanted Gardens, you're going to find everything you need and the help you need to do it right Enchented Gardens Richmond dot com. Enchented Gardens Richmond dot com. There on the Katie fullsher Side of Richmond on FM three fifty nine FM three fifty nine, take some people with you because it is a destination place and y'all are gonna want to go have some fun and hang out there for a while. I can tell you that we're going to go now up to Conroe and talk to Bill. Hello, Bill, Welcome to garden Line High Skip.
Speaker 14: Hey, I just put some sawed down yesterday in my backyard, the whole thing, and I just want to confirm with you. With this temperature, how often should I be watering it?
Speaker 3: All right? I will the time I plan it. Yeah, well, from the time I plan it, I'm watering it even after planting, immediately before I finish the whole yard. I'm starting to water. But twice a day, twice a day with a moderate little application the first week. Now, rain's going to take over on Wednesday, and you should be good for the rest of the week. But just watch it. If it doesn't doesn't rain, just got to keep that little thin layer aside. You laid down moist until they can get roots in the ground. Then you can go to every till once a day the next week, and then you can start to back off to a normal once or twice a week schedule over the course of a month.
Speaker 7: Okay, all right, very good.
Speaker 14: The guy who dropped it off said three times a week or three times a day for the first week and then two times a day for the next two weeks.
Speaker 7: That seems like kind of high.
Speaker 5: Summer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's and if it's in the heat of summer. Even then, I planted some in June and it wasn't the hottest part of summer. But I watered twice a day the first week, once a day the second week, you know, and then weaned it off from there. Just just don't make it a total swamp.
Speaker 8: Okay, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: It's not just how much you apply it, but how often you Okay, well, good luck with that. Take care share you call. Hey, folks, guess what's going to happen Right after the show, which is about an hour from now. The end of the show, I'm going to make a bee Line Montgomery County Fall Home and Garden Show. I'll be there from twelve to two. Last one there's a Rotten Egg. Hope to see that. That's at the Lone Star Convention and Expo Center. I'm going to be giving away samples of Microlife fertilizer for those who are lucky enough to win one. But I'm also going to be answering your gardening questions. Starting off, I'm going to do a talk on fall gardening tips and success. Do you have weeds you want to identify? Do you have pictures of plants you want to identify? Do you want to show me a picture of a garden landscape area and say what can I plant there? What's your question? Bring them, let's talk, let's have some fun. I'm going to be there Fall Home and Garden Show, Montgomery County, twelve to two.
Speaker 1: Welcome to KTRH Garden Line with scip Rickards.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as the world.
Speaker 3: And hey, welcome back, quolks. I'm gonna jump right in on the music here. We got lives to talk about, so I don't want to wait. You know, I was talking to someone a minute ago was looking for some Japanese use and sent them up to Warren Southern Gardens up in Kingwood. Both Warren Southern Gardens and Kingwood Garden Center are up there in the Kingwood area. Warrens is on North Park, Kingwood's on Stone Hollow. Both of them are open seven days a week. Can you just subscribe to their newsletter? You can do that online or in the store. Lots of good information, including some discounts, savings, gardening tips, all that kind of thing. You know, they got all kinds of stuff coming in every day now. I mean, it's false season is here. So do you want to plan some dianthus or petunias or snapdragons for fall color? Do you want to do veggies and herbs? They got plenty of veggies and herbs available. And also they have strawberries available. Falls the time to plant strawberries, and you can get those at Warren Southern Gardens. Shrubs. We were talking earlier about sunshine lagustrums at Laura Pedlund or Chinese witch, hazel encore azilia, crate myrtles. All of it is there. They got a tree sell right now on both locations One's and Kingwood, thirty dollars off any tree. You're not gonna do any better than that. And while you're buy there, go by and ask about their great myrtle, crepe myrtle, great myrtle, grepe myrtle. It only gets two feet tall, three feet wide. You put it in a big container, you can put it in a It makes a little bush. Just think of it. Don't think about crape myrtle like you've been thinking about. Imagine a little miniature one with disease and insect resistance. It's really an awesome little plant. It's only available One's Garden Center, so go buy there and check out ask about the great myrtle grepe myrtle. While you're out there, we're going to go back to the phones now and head up to Conroe and talk to Harry. Hey, Harry, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 7: Thank you, scif.
Speaker 26: I was going to ask you if you can help me with some Virginia button weed control.
Speaker 3: All right, I can. Virginia button weed loves it when you overwater, or it loves it if it's a low soggy spot. You know, so number one where it's in your power deep infrequent waterings but not frequent. And that's first step. Second step, there's a product called celsius. Like the temperature, there's fahrenheit and celsius. Well, this is celsius, and you apply it. You could do it this week. The temperatures will be perfectly fine for celsius this week, and of course you don't want to do it right for the rain. But if you could get it out today or tomorrow. Even if you got it out, you know on Monday, earlier in the day, you'd be okay till then the rain starts pretty soon after that as we go into the week. But you just direct spray it right on the Virginia button weed and it'll knock it back. Generally, it's going to take a couple of sprays to effectively get rid of it. So next spring be ready for it again. Eve you'll see some coming back, and you just catch it early and it's much easier to control in the spring and the early fall season. But you can do some spraying in summer for it.
Speaker 7: How long between the sprays.
Speaker 3: Probably about six weeks, eight weeks something like that. It depends on the season, and it depends on what you see. You know, it takes a product a while. A product that's going to work is going to take a while to move in and really do the job because it's going to do it right. And so just be patient for a while there. But if you see, you know what I missed that I didn't hit it with spray or it's coming back, do it again before we go into the.
Speaker 26: How and to see any kind of results at all? About how long before I hit it again.
Speaker 3: You should see something, Well, I would give it. I would say I'd probably wait three weeks to look at it and see how it's responding to the sprays. But I wouldn't really that patient. Well a little bit, just to make sure that it's doing the work it's going to do. It's not going to kill the buttons, the seed pods that are on it. That's why you got to come back next year and just stay ahead of it.
Speaker 7: Okay, got it, Yep, got it?
Speaker 5: Thank you love it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, And by the way, yeah I would. I would call the folks out at Ana Plants and Produce and Montgomery see if they've got some of that on hand. They might well do that. You know, they carry a lot of stuff they've got When I talk about fertilizers and soils, a and as bags of all of it. Do you want nitrofoss, Do you want Nelson's? Do you want microlife? Do you want airlom soils or Nature's Way soils? And on and on. Ana stays stocked up. They've got great plants. They even have a landscape crew. Those of you who live up around Lake Conro, you can give them a call, say, I'd like to talk to you about having somebody come out and help clean this up, spruce this up. You know, give it some care. They can do that. They keep my schedules there at the desk, usually at the checkout if they're not out of them. But that way you know exactly what to purchase and when. A and A Plants and Produce. By the way, they're going to be at the Fall Home and Gardens show up in Montgomery County that I'll be out after the show today, So come on by and see me and swing by the A and A booth and say hey to them. They'll be up there too, because that is their home territory up there in the Montgomery to Conroe area there on the west or excuse me, the east side of Montgomery, right there on Highway one oh five. I always like going by and visiting, plus to get some of the best landscape bling in the business. They do lots of cool stuff. You know, falls coming. We're going to get some crispy nights eventually, can't you wait. Get you a little chimenea from NA Plants and Produce that take care of it. So I mentioned earlier, Today is National Hummingbird Day, so say hi to any humming bergency flying by and congratulate them. National Hummingbird Day. They are making their trip south and they're pausing to refuel house. Right now, you need to get you a high perch hummingbird feeder from Wallbirds Unlimited. You can go to the website w b U dot com forward slash Houston w BU dot Com forward Slash Houston, find the six waldbirds and which one's closest to you. Go for it. Go buy their sandy to a high perch hummingbird feeder. It's my favorite of all the hummingbird feeders I have. I love my high perch feeder. Now, if you still have any vacation that you're planning on doing, get make sure and get the seed cylinders that are packed tight. You put them out there and the birds will have something until you come home. Or buy some of the quality seeds that they have at Wildbirds Unlimited. Right now though, it is hummingbird season and you can get special They even have a special little hummingbirds solution that you put in there that doesn't go bad so fast. You know, sugar water and warm temperatures, it's gonna start to get nasty after a few days. You always need to be putting fresh out. But with the Wildbirds material, you get a little an extra day or two out of that, just helping to keep those humming birds healthy and happy. On National Hummingbird Day. You have national days for all kinds of things here. I don't know, maybe had a National Garden Line Day. I doubt that'll make it, but it would be fun if it did. If you live down in the Richmond Rosenberg area and haven't been by Enchanted Forest Garden Center, you need to get by there. Enchanted Forest. It's just a wonderful place to visit. You know, you go in and when you get out of the car, you look at it and it's just like, Okay, this is gonna be this is gonna be fun, this is gonna be cool. And it is you know, Clay and the whole team up there an Enchanted Forest. They have really created a special special place and no matter what plants you need for the season, they're going to have them. For example, right now, they have plenty of fall color out there. They have plants that attract you know, you're hummingbirds that just go by and say, hey, I need I need to have a plant that is going to bring in the humming birds. I hear it's it's the season for that. And feeders are great, but why not also plant for the hummingbirds. Jenniferrest sketch cover. Do you need fall color, They've got it. Do you need herbs for fall fall as? For planting, they've got it. Trees and shrubs, they've got it. They even have some beautiful plume areas, which you know, I know we're going to winter soon, but they've got some plumerias that you just need to get and put out, beautiful variegated I've never seen them as cool as these are. They've got them there. And of course plumerias are easy and bring them in the garage, hang them upside down during the wintertime and they do just fine when you put them back out in the spring. Do you need cool seasoned vegetables, They're already loaded up on them. Do you need that? Do you want some beautiful taalavera types of pottery type pumpkins, say, pottery ceramic types of pumpkins. They've got all of that. All. Enchanted gardens in Richmond's easy, easy to find. Go online. Check out the website Enchented Gardens Richmond, TX dot com. Take a little break to garden line. So Maya Kulpa I got a math couple here. I just was talking about Enchanted Forest Garden Center, and I gave the wrong website. It's Enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. Enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. As I went out of that section there for the break, I echoed in my ear and I had, oh, I just say him the wrong one. Here's a phone number for UM down there at Enchanted Forest two eight one nine three seven ninety nine to eight one nine three seven ninety four forty nine. You gotta get by there. I'm telling you. They are loaded up on all kinds of things, including some beautiful, beautiful Len'scape color too. Medina products are something that I have been testing, trying out and finding good success with for a good while now. Medina has so many different products that are so effective in what they do. For example, hastro Grow six twelve six, it's got that high quality plant food and it's the six twelve six plant food. It's got Medina soil activator, which stimulates biological activity. It's got humate humic acid, you know humids. It improves sol structure, it improves nutrient uptake. It's also got seaweed extracts in it. Seaweed extracts are helpful for stimulating both the fruiting and the blooming. You can spray has to Grow six twelve six as a folier application. It is not going to burn anything, very gentle formulation. It helps build the biological activity in the soil and it really is excellent for transplanting. Just take the has to Grow six twelve six plant food, follow the label. Mix it in water takes about an ounce per gallon, and then in a watering can and just drench it in. If you're going to transplant, drench it in. Drench it in. Always do that. Come back a week later, do it again, come back a week later, do it again. And as that plant that you just put in is getting its rich system established, you're providing plenty of good stuff to help it to establish well. And that's just a head start. It's a head start on not only plant survival, but on plant to thrive. And again just one of the many good products from Medina Hastro Grove six's twelve six. Let's head up now to Conroe and we're going to talk to Diana. Hey, Diana, welcome to Gardenline. Hello, Yes, Diana, I said Conra yes, I can, I said Conro, I meant Cyprus.
Speaker 24: Sorry, yes, I wanted to ask you. I noticed yesterday that our crank myrtle something is eating the leave and I look to see if I could find anything like a caterpillar or some type. I didn't see anything, but there's some big chunks sticking out a lot of the leaves. And then I have another issue too on our values. In one section, the leaves are starting to turn yellow and they've got black spots on them. So I wanted to know the best things to treat each of those. You no situations on.
Speaker 3: The azaleas, they're yellow with black spots. You're saying, yes, not the leaves.
Speaker 24: Some of the leaves are starting in the one section there and it looks spreading, but it looks like they're yellow. And then they got black spots on them. And then there's something beating big sat the leaves on the crate myrtle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Well the cray murder could be a beetle, could be a caterpillar, but I would not worry about it. That cray myrtle, if for long, is going to be losing its leaves anyway, and if it even has you know, two thirds of the leaf cover still on it. It's going to be fine going into winter. I don't think it's warming the spray. And it's also possible that whatever was eating them has now moved on. You know, caterpillars turn into pupil that turn into moths and so on, and yeah, I wouldn't worry about that as far as the azaleas are concerned. Can you can you picture if the yellowing is on the ends of new shoots or is it the older leaves furtherest down the stem toward the.
Speaker 24: Base, whether established leaves you know they're they're not growth or it's established leaves yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it could be well, a lack of nitrogen causes older leaves to turn yellow gradually. If you're getting more of a bright yellow, it's typically a sow moisture fluctuation. It gets too dry for a while and then you give it a good watering. Okay, he bounces back, but the old leaves turn yellow. Older leaves turn yellow. So I would just watch on that. As far as black spots on the leaves, I kind of need to see it to see what you're talking about. There are spots that are like a city mold a city kind of black spot, very very vague like like soot is on a plant, not real distinct margins and stuff, so that that's a possibility. It could also be a bacterial spot, but those tend to be very black, very distinct, very angular in their shape.
Speaker 7: I'm around.
Speaker 24: Yeah, they're perfectly the little spots are perfectly round.
Speaker 3: All right, let me I need to see them if you want to further help with that.
Speaker 24: Okay, well I can. I can email. I can email it if.
Speaker 17: You need to.
Speaker 3: Do you have my email? Do you have it? If not, I'll put you on hold and Crystal give it to you.
Speaker 24: I do have it because I have to send you something a while back, so I'll use the same one and i'll send the pictures. I won't be able to do it right now that we're headed to agging Land. Okay, very much.
Speaker 3: Well, it's good you're reading. Uh they probably don't need you help your help today, but uh, have fun.
Speaker 24: I don't know, we're all going to enjoy it, so okay, take care, bye bye.
Speaker 3: You take it by gosh, don't get me started talking about that, all right. League City Feed down in League City, our favorite little feed store down there for those of you in Bay Cliff, I'll come in real Webster, Clear Lake, Santa Fe, Dickinson's and Leone, and of course League City. They're in League City, just a few blocks south of Highway ninety six on Highway three. It's really easy to get in and out. It's that old time feed store been around for forty years now, probably more than that by now. But you go in, you get service, they carry the bags out for you. But most importantly, you go in there and they're going to have all the fertilizers that I recommend on guard line, they've got them. Do you want a soil mix like Nature's Way, hair, airloom, soils kinds of things. They've got soul mixes in there as well. Do you need pest control, weed control, disease control, both organic and synthetic. While you're in there, grab some of their premium quality pet food. You know, they're open until six Monday through Saturday, nine am to six, and so you get through with work, just swing by there and grab it. That's kind of convenient. Can't get any easier than that. As well as any kinds of feed for your animals, for your backyard chickens, They've got all that League City Feed. Here's the number two eight one three three two sixteen twelve two eight one three three two one six one two. We love our feed stores here at League City Feed. You know, fall is the time to get your trees, shrubs and woody plants planted. If you want the best easiest season of the year to do it, you put a winder on them on the ground, and if it's one hundred degrees outside, you're going to water real frequently to keep it going, keep it alive. You can do that. But in fall, the demands are so low, and it has all the way until next summer to get more and more and more of a root system out because roots grow all through the cool season. They do our sois don't get that cold here, and uh, it's just a better time to get them established. But when you buy a tree to plant, I don't care if it's a single trunk tree tree or if it is a multi stemmed, multi trunk crape myrtle tree. Three sixty tree stabilizers help hold that plant in place until the root system gets established and can anchor the plant properly. Now you're going to find three sixty tree stabilizers in many places. You know it was. It was made designed here in Cyprus, Texas, and it's packaged up in Dallas and then also and in Houston the molded and fort Worth two. But it's an all Texas products. What I'm trying to say, I liked it. You can do it different ways. You can plant a post post in the ground. You can drive a tea post in the ground. I like the teposts, the easy to drive in, get them out. You attach the tree stabilizer. There's a little part of the product that's made for attaching to a tea post and it holds it in place with a loose strap so the plant can move a little bit. That is important when you steak a tree, don't stake it down like a rocket you're afraid and take off and shoot off out of the ground. Give it some room to move. Movement creates strength in the branches. And tree stabilizers designed for just that. You can get MARCYW. Buchanan's native plants, the Arborgate plants for all seasons. For those of you down south Orges Hidden Gardens and Alvin carries them. Those of you southwest Southwest fertilizer has got those. They're easy, easy, easy to find, and they work well and they last. You buy one and you've got one for the next time that you're going to plant something, or loaning to family members if they're going to put a tree in three sixty tree stabilizer. I should talk about that more because that is a very important product. For those of you who are looking for the supplies that I'm talking about now for fall, you need to look no further than your Ace Hardware store. There's forty Ace Hardware stores in the Houston area. Ace hardware dot Com. So what am I talking about, Well, I'm talking about the fertilizers for fall. We're about to enter my schedule's fall season here where it's time to get those fertilizers to prepare your grass for winter. Of all the different brands I talk about, you're gonna find them there at Ace Hardware. If you're dealing with pests in the lawn, if you're dealing with pests on plants, or diseases or weeds, Ace Hardware carries all those things. Of course, they've got tools, they've got garden hoses, you know, everything else you need for outside, including some things for making a beautiful outdoor sitting area. You know, we're getting a break here from the heat. It's already started, but good time to fix up that patio. And Ace has got you set up on all that kind of thing as well. We're going to take a little break. Our phone number seven one three two one two k t r H and I'll be right back.
Speaker 15: Kt r H Garden Line does not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Scamp Richard.
Speaker 2: It's just watch him as world.
Speaker 3: And hey, welcome back quotes. I'm going to jump right in on the music here. We got lots to talk about, so I don't want to wait. You know, I was talking to someone a minute ago was looking for some Japanese use and sent them up to Warren Southern Gardens up in Kingwood. Both Warren Southern Gardens and Kingwood Garden Center are up there in the Kingwood area. Warrens is on North Park, Kingwood's on Stone Hollow. Both of them are open seven days a week. Can you just subscribe to their newsletter? You can do that online or in the store. Lots of good information including some discounts, savings, gardening tips, all that kind of thing. You know, they got all kinds of stuff coming in every day now. I mean, it's false season is here. So do you want to plan some dianthus or petunias or snap dragons for fall color? Do you want to do veggies and herbs? They got plenty of veggies and herbs available. And also they have strawberries available. Falls the time to plant strawberry and you can get those at Warren Southern Gardens. Shrubs. We were talking earlier about sunshine lagustrums at Laura Pedlund or Chinese witch hazel encore Azilia's crate myrtles. All of it is there. They got a tree sell right now on both locations One's and Kingwood, thirty dollars off any tree. You're not gonna do any better than that. And while you're buy there, go by and ask about their great myrtle, crepe myrtle, great myrtle, grepe myrtle. It only gets two feet tall, three feet wide. You put it in a big container, you can put it in a it makes a little bush. Just think of it. Don't think about crape myrtle like you've been thinking about imagine a little miniature one with disease and insect resistance. It's really an awesome little plant. It's only available One's Garden Center, so go buy there and check out ask about the great myrtle grepe myrtle. While you're out there, we're going to go back to the phones now and head up to Conroe and talk to Harry. Hey, Harry, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 7: Thank you SCFF.
Speaker 26: I was gonna ask you if you could help me with some Virginia button.
Speaker 3: We can, all right, I can. Virginia button weed loves it when you overwater, or it loves it if it's a low soggy spot. You know, so number one where it's in your power deep infrequent waterings but not frequent. And that's first step. Second step, there's a product called celsius. Like the temperature, there's fahrenheit and celsius. Well, this is celsius, and you apply it. You could do it this week. The temperatures will be perfectly fine for celsius this week, and of course you don't want to do it right for the rain. But if you could get it out today or tomorrow. Even if you got it out, you know on Monday, earlier in the day, you'd be okay till then the rain starts pretty soon after that as we go into the week. But you just direct spray it right on the Virginia button weed and it'll knock it back. Generally, it's going to take a couple of sprays to effectively get rid of it. So next spring be ready for it again. Eve you'll see some coming back, and you just catch it early and it's much easier to control in the spring and the early fall season. But you can do some spraying in summer for it.
Speaker 7: How on between the sprays.
Speaker 3: Probably about six weeks, eight weeks something like that. It depends on the season, and it depends on what you see. You know, it takes a product a while. A product that's going to work is going to take a while to move in and really do the job because it's going to do it right. And so just be patient for a while there. But if you see, you know what I missed that I didn't hit it with spray or it's coming back, do it again before we go into the.
Speaker 26: How and to see any kind of results at all, About how long before I hit it again.
Speaker 3: You should see something, well, I would give it. I would say, I'd probably wait three weeks to look at it and see how it's responding to the sprays. But I wouldn't really patient, well a little bit, just to make sure that it's doing the work it's going to do. It's not going to kill the buttons, the seed pods that are on it. That's why you got to come back next year and just stay ahead of it.
Speaker 7: Okay, got it, Yep, got it?
Speaker 13: Thank you love it?
Speaker 3: Yeah, and by the way, yeah, I would would. I would call the folks out at Ana Plants and Produce and Montgomery see if they've got some of that on hand. They might well do that. You know, they carry a lot of stuff they've got. When I talk about fertilizers and soils, a and as bags of all of it. Do you want nitrofoss, do you want Nelson's? Do you want microlife? Do you want airlom soils or Nature's Way soils? And on and on. Ana stays stocked up. They've got great plants. They even have a landscape crew. Those of you who live up around Lake Conro, you can give them a call, say I'd like to talk to you about having somebody come out and help clean this up, spruce this up, you know, give it some care. They can do that. They keep my schedules there at the desk, usually at the checkout if they're not out of them. But that way you know exactly what to purchase and when A and A and produce. By the way, they're going to be at the Fall Home and Gardens show up in Montgomery County that I'll be out after the show today, So come on by and see me and swing by the ANA booth and say hey to them. They'll be up there too, because that is their home territory up there in the Montgomery to Conroe area there on the west or excuse me, the east side of Montgomery, right there on Highway one oh five. I always like going by and visiting. Plus they get some of the best landscape bling in the business. They do lots of cool stuff. You know, falls coming. We're going to get some crispy nights eventually, can't you wait. Get you a little chimenea from na plants and produce that take care of it. So I mentioned earlier, Today is National Hummingbird Day, so say hi to any hummingbirdgency flying by and congratulate them National Hummingbird Day. They are making their trip south and they're pausing to refuel at your house. Right now, you need to get you a high per hummingbird feeder from Wallbirds Unlimited. You can go to the website WBU dot com forward slash Houston w BU dot Com forward slash Houston find the six waldbirds and which one's closest to you. Go for it. Go buy their sandy to a high perch hummingbird feeder. It's my favorite of all the hummingbird feeders I have. I love my high perch feeder. Now, if you still have any vacation and that you're planning on doing, get make sure and get the seed cylinders that are packed tight. You put them out there and the birds will have something until you come home, or buy some of the quality seeds that they have at Wildbirds Unlimited. Right now though, it is hummingbird season and you can get special They even have a special little hummingbirds solution that you put in there that doesn't go bad so fast. You know, sugar water and warm temperatures, it's gonna start to get nasty after a few days. You always need to be putting fresh out. But with the wilbirds material. You get a little bit extra day or two out of that, just helping to keep those humming birds healthy and happy. On National Hummingbird Day. You have national days for all kinds of things here. I don't know, maybe you had a National Garden Line Day. I doubt that'll make it, but it would be fun if it did. If you live down in the Richmond Rosenberg area and haven't been by Enchanted Forest Garden Center, you need to get by there. Enchanted Forest. It's just a wonderful place to visit. You know, you go in and when you get out of the car, you look at it and it's just like, Okay, this is gonna be this is gonna be fun, this is gonna be cool. And it is. You know, Clay and the whole team up there an Enchanted Forest. They have really created a special special place and no matter what plants you need for the season, they're going to have them. For example, right now, they have plenty of fall color out there. They have plants that attract you know, you're hummingbirds that just go by and say, hey, I need to have a plant that is going to bring in the humming birds. I hear it's the season for that, and feeders are great, but why not also plant for the hummingbirds and jenniferrest sketch cover. Do you need fall color, They've got it. Do you need herbs for fall fall as we're planting, They've got it. Trees and shrubs, they've got it. They even have some beautiful plume areas, which you know, I know we're going to winter soon, but they've got some plumerias that you just need to get and put out, beautiful variegated I've never seen them as cool as these are. They've got them there. And of course plumerias are easy and bring them in the garage, hang them upside down during the wintertime and they do just fine when you put them back out in the spring. Do you need cool seasoned vegetables, They're already loaded up on them. Do you need that? Do you want some beautiful taalavera types of pottery type pumpkins, say, pottery ceramic types of pumpkins, They've got all of that. All Enchanted gardens in Richmond's easy, easy to find. Go online. Check out the website Enchented Gardens Richmond, TX dot com. Take a little break here for the news and I'll be right back. Welcome back to garden line. Uh so Maya Kulpa. I got a Maya couple here. I just was talking about Enchanted Forest Garden Center, and I gave the wrong website. It's Enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. Enchanted Forest Richmond, TX dot com. As I went out of that section there for the break, I it echoed in my ear and I had Oh, I just save him the wrong one. Here's a phone number for him down there at Enchented Forest two eight one nine three seven ninety four forty nine two eight one nine three seven ninety four forty nine. You gotta get by there. I'm telling you. They are loaded up on all kinds of things, including some beautiful, beautiful lenscape color too.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: Medina products are something that I have been trying out and finding good success with for a good while now. Medina has so many different products that are so effective in what they do. For example, hastro Grow six twelve six, it's got that high quality plant food and it's the six twelve six plant food. It's got Medina soil activator which stimulates biological activity. It's got humate, humic acid. You know humids. It improves soul structure, it improves new chain uptake. It's also got seaweed extracts in it. Seaweed extracts are helpful for stimulating both the fruiting and the blooming. You can spray has to Grow six twelve six as a foliar application. It is not going to burn anything, very gentle formulation. It helps build the biological activity in the soil and it really is excellent for transplanting. Just take the has to Grow six twelve six plant food fall of the label. Mix it in water takes about an ounce per gallon, and then in a watering can and just drench it in. If you're going to transplant, drench it in. Drench it in always do that. Come back a week later, due again, come back a week later, do it again. And as that plant that you just put in is getting its rich system established, you're providing plenty of good stuff to help it to establish well. And that's just a head start. It's a head start on not only plant survival, but on plant to thrive. And again just one of the many good products from Medina Hastro Grove six's twelve six Let's head up now to Conroe, and we're going to talk to Diana. Hey, Diana, welcome to Gardenline.
Speaker 25: Hello.
Speaker 3: Yes, Diana, I said Conra, Yes I can, I said Conro. I meant Cyprus.
Speaker 24: Sorry, Yes, I wanted to ask you. I noticed yesterday that our crank myrtle something is eating the leave and I look to see if I could find anything like a caterpillar or some type. I didn't see anything, but there's some big chunks sticking out a lot of the leaves. And then I have another issue too, on our values. One section, the leaves are starting to turn yellow and they've got black spots on them. So I wanted to know the best things to treat each of those. No situations.
Speaker 3: On the azaleas, they're yellow with black spots.
Speaker 24: You're sand Yes, the leaves, some of the leaves are starting in the one section there and it looks spreading, but it looks like they're yellow. And then they got black spots on them. And then there's something beating big sat the leaves on the crate myrtle.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, Well the cray murdle could be a beetle, could be a caterpillar. But I would not worry about it that cray myrtle, if for long, is gonna be losing its leaves anyway, And if it even has you know, two thirds of leaf cover still on it, it's going to be fine going into winter. I don't think it's wrong in the spray. And it's also possible that whatever was eating them has now moved on. You know, caterpillars turn into people that turn into moths and so on, and yeah, I wouldn't worry about that as far as the azaleas are concerned. Can can you picture if the yellow is on the ends of new shoots or is it the older leaves furtherest down the stem toward the.
Speaker 24: Base, whether established leaves you know they're they're not growth or it's established leaves yet.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so it could be well, a lack of nitrogen causes older leaves to turn yellow gradually. If you're getting more of a bright yellow, it's typically a sow moisture fluctuation. It gets too dry for a while and then you give it a good watering. It bounces back, but the old leaves turn yellow. Older leaves turn yellow, So I would just watch on that. As far as black spots on the leaves, I kind of need to see it to see what you're talking about. There are spots. They're like a city mold, a city kind of black spot, very very vague like like soot is on a plant, not real distinct margins and stuff, so that that's a possibility. It could also be a bacterial spot, but those tend to be very black, very distinct, very angular in their shape.
Speaker 24: I'm around, Yeah, they're they're perfectly the little spots are perfectly ground.
Speaker 3: All right, let me I need to see them. If you want to further help with that.
Speaker 24: Okay, well I can, if I can email, I can email it if you need to.
Speaker 3: Do you have my email? Do you have it? If not, I'll put you on and Crystal give it to you.
Speaker 24: I do have because I had to send you something a while back, so I'll use the same one and i'll send the pictures. I won't be able to do it right now because we're headed to agging land. Okay, very much.
Speaker 3: Well, it's good you're reading. Uh they probably don't need you help your help today, but uh, have fun.
Speaker 7: I don't know we're all going to enjoy it.
Speaker 24: So okay, take care, bye.
Speaker 5: Bye, you take it by.
Speaker 3: Gosh, don't get me started talking about that. All right, League City Feed down in League City, our favorite little feed store down there for those of you Bay Cliff, elkame Ino, Reale, Webster, Clear Lake, Santa Fe, Dickinson's and Leone and of course League City. They're in League City, just a few blocks south of Highway ninety six on Highway three. It's really easy to get in and out. It's that old time feed store, been around for forty years now, probably more than that by now. But you go in, you get service, they carry the bags out for you. But most importantly, you go in there and they're going to have all the fertilizers that I recommend on guard Line, they've got them. Do you want a soil mix like Nature's Way, hair, airloom, soil kinds of things. They've got soul mixes in there as well. Do you need pest control, weed control, disease control, both organic and synthetic. While you're in there, grab some of their premium quality pet food. You know, they're open until six Monday through Saturday, nine am to six, and so you get through with work, just swing by there and grab it. That's kind of convenient. Can't get any easier than that as well as any kinds of feed for your animals, for your backyard chickens. They've got all that League City Feed. Here's the number two eight one three three two sixteen twelve two eight one three three two one six one two. We love our feed stores here at League City Feed. You know, fall is the time to get your trees, shrubs, and woody plants planted. If you want the best easiest season of the year to do it, you put a windear on them on the ground, and if it's one hundred degrees outside, you're going to water real frequently to keep it going, keep it alive. You can do that, but in fall the demands are so low, and it has all the way until next summer to get more and more and more of a root system out. Because roots grow all through the cool season. They do our soas don't get that cold here, and it's just a better time to get them established. But when you buy a tree to plant, I don't care if it's a single trunk tree tree or if it is a multi stemmed, multi trunk crepe myrtle tree. Three sixty tree stabilizers help hold that plant in place until the root system gets established. And can anchor the plant properly. Now you're going to find three sixty tree stabilizers in many places. You know it was. It was made designed here in Cyprus, Texas, and it's packaged up in Dallas and then also and in Houston the molding and fort Worth two. But it's an all Texas products. What I'm trying to say, I like you can do it different ways. You can plant a post post in the ground. You can drive a tea post in the ground. I like the teposter easy to drive in, get them out. You attach the tree stabilizer. There's a little part of the product that's made for attaching to a tea post and it holds it in place with a loose strap so the plant can move a little bit. That is important when you steak a tree, don't stake it down like a rocket you're afraid and take off and shoot off out of the ground. Give it some room to move. Movement creates strength in the branches. And tree stabilizers to designed for just that. You can get MARCYW. Buchanan's native plants, the Arborgate plants for all seasons. For those of you down South Orges hidden gardens and Alvin carries them. Those of you Southwest. Southwest Fertilizer has got those. They're easy, easy, easy to find, and they work well and they last. You buy one and you've got one for the next time that you're going to plant something or learning to family members if they're going to put a tree in three sixty tree stabilizer. I should talk about that more because that is a very important product. For those of you who are looking for the supplies that I'm talking about now for fall, you need to look no further than your Ace Hardware store. There's forty Ace Hardware stores in the Houston area. Ace Hardware dot Com. So what am I talking about, Well, I'm talking about the fertilizers for fall. We're about to enter my schedule's fall season here where it's time to get those fertilizers to prepare your grass for winter. Of all the different brands I talk about, you're gonna find them there at Ace Hardware. If you're dealing with pests in the lawn, if you're dealing with pests on plants, or diseases or weeds, Ace Hardware carries all those things. Of course, they've got tools, they've got garden hoses, you know, everything else you need for outside, including some things for making a beautiful outdoor sitting area. You know, we're getting a break here from the heat. It's already started, but good time to fix up that patio and aces. Got you set up on all that kind of thing as well. We're going to take a little break our phone number seven one three two one two KTRH and I'll be right back to the phones here in this segment and talk to Ezra up in Conroe. Hey, Ezra, welcome to garden Line, good mortage.
Speaker 7: Stir warning.
Speaker 13: Can you hear me?
Speaker 3: Okay, yes, I can, Okay.
Speaker 27: The question I had is regarding I guess what you go parachute ants or cut ants that seemed to attract the crape myrtles and other.
Speaker 5: Things in my yard.
Speaker 27: I've tried Dominion two L poured down the hole. I've tried the we're hooking up to the hose with a spectra that works good for contact if they're out, you know, attacking the trees.
Speaker 8: But is that anything better than that?
Speaker 3: Oh boy? Well, they're the problem with controlling the lea you're talking about a leaf cutting ant, right, yes?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Uh so the the problem with controlling them is they cut those leaves to bring underground, stick to the ceiling, grow fungus on to eat the fungus. So yeah, kind of like farmers. Basically, they've got a little crop of fungus going under the ground. So you can put things along the trails where they have to track out of, like a little dust like an orphine right at the base around where they have to crawl out of it. You don't have to treat the whole mound this big giant dusting, just all the openings. You got to do that periodically, and so every ant the tries to come out of the mound and gets killed, it doesn't go down in the mount and kill all of them. Sometimes they'll track them down and you'll get some benefit from that. But that's a suppression option. There are There is a bait combo that I'm going to have to send you the information on that for you to give a try. I have not used the combo myself, but by mixing a couple of baits and going through a certain process, I'm told that it can be fairly effective against these ants. You would just have to give that a shot. But that's the only bait combination idea that I've run across because these are difficult to control.
Speaker 7: Yes, yes they are.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 27: Yeah, get a mound gone and it pops, back it up somewhere else, yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's it is and so but I can tell you this. You know, if you make them crawl through like an orphane dust powder kind of thing, they're going to pick that up and you will kill those ants. And they need that they come in contact with. But that is not I want to be real clear, that is not a how do you get rid of a mound thing? It's it's to shut them down enough to where they're not out eating all your stuff. But let me put you on hold. Uh my producer Chris will give you an email and if you'll send me that, say, hey, we talked this morning. What's the recipe for leaf cutter ants. I'll send you some information.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much.
Speaker 13: I'll sure enough try.
Speaker 3: All right, you take care. Yeah, those ants can be a problem. I've seen. Uh it's all one time inter national geographic down in some jungles, probably South America, somewhere, maybe Brazil, who knows. Anyway, there was this huge, huge mound that covered I don't know how big of an area is like a fourth of an acre one mound, and there was a bulldozer that had gone across it and sunken down into this hole. If you want to see something cool, do a search for leaf cutter ants. And then then like concrete, maybe concrete. These people have pumped like a concrete like slurry in through all their chambers and let it harden, and then they've washed and brushed away the soil. And it's this giant excavated city that those boogers live in underground. It is amazing, and it's also why it's hard to control them. But kinda kind of unusual cool stuff. I guess even though they get frustrating and they're difficult to control, that they they're pretty amazing creatures. And I understand you're you're paint up there. Ezra and Conrad to live up in Willis, and I had a farm and I came out one night out of peach orchard and one night three peach trees went from completely foliated to completely bear because the leafcutter mound discovered them. I tried a lot of things which I won't mention on the air, trying to control those I went caddy shack. If any of you saw Bill Murray chasing after that gopher, I went caddy shack on these leaf cutter ants. I wish I'd known about some of the options that we have. Now. All right, folks, you're listening to Garden Line phone number seven one three two one two k t RH. I've got about twenty minutes left in today's show. And when that is done, guess what I'm gonna do. I'm gonna head up to the Fall Montgomery County Home and Outdoor Living Show and I'll be there from twelve to two. I hope you'll come out. I'll be giving away some some samples of micro life products for the lucky winners that show up there. I'll be given a talk on Fall Garden, and then i'll be answering your gardening questions and i'll do the regular what do we call it, the Emerald Lazarth poem about the Statue of Liberty. Bring me you're tired, you're weary, your huddled masses yearning to breathe for you, something like that. Well, you can bring me your samples. You're in your pest samples, your diseased leaves, and I'll take a look at them, and we'll tell you what to do about them. Bring me pictures of your yard. We'll do that. I love meeting listeners up at these events. Are everybody up in that whole region up there around Conrad. I hope you'll come out to the Montgomery County Home and Outdoor Living Show again at the Lone Star Convention Center up on Airport Road, right across from the Extension Office. Easy easy to get too. Earlier I was talking about nutri Star Genesis. Neutral Star Genesis is a Nelson plant food product, one of many quality products that folks out at Nelson's have nutri Stars. The newest Genesis is the newest one in the line. This is one made for transplanting. So if you're going to take a little four inch pot and move it up to a one gallon pot in the soil, and that one gallum pot you have, you should have mixed some nutri Star Genesis. If you're going to take a plant and plant it in the ground, use Nutristar Genesis, mix it up into the soil around that plant and put that plant in the ground, and you're just going to see success. It's loaded with microbes, it's got microhizal fungi and beneficial bacteria and other fungi. That really it benefits that soil microbiome and it just helps. It helps reduce transplant chalks, feeds the soil and then gradually feeding them snock on burn roots works super super well. I've used it. I've seen great results with it, and from the time I first tried it, I told Nan, I've got it. This is I gotta talk about this. This is good stuff. This really really works. From Nelson Plant Food. By the way, while you're there, grab a jar of that nutra Star vegetable garden. It's got the newnutriants to make sure your vegetables grow well and yield well. You do about once a month during the growing season for the vegetables that you're growing. It's time right now for fall fertilization for fall vegetables. So we've got five different sources of nitrogen. You can use it in containers, you can use it in the ground in your vegetable garden, however you want to go about it. Nutristar Vegetable Garden Food one of the many nutri Star products that are quality and that work from Nelson Plant Food. I'm going to head now out to John in Friendswood. Hello, John, how can we help?
Speaker 28: Good morning Skip. I'm being taken over by Virginia button weed. I've got a big patch on the side of my yard that I've been fighting for off and on for a few years, and now I'm finding pieces of it just popping up everywhere. When is the best time to go out there and attack it?
Speaker 10: All?
Speaker 3: Right, the first time you see it in the spring, start on it. Then use a product called celsius, like the temperature fahrenheit and celsius celsius celsius. Apply it according to the label. You probably are gonna have to pply it again about six to eight weeks later, because it's one that one application often doesn't do it all. But you could do it now. If you've got Virginia button we go ahead and do it now too. But Celsius is the one. Follow the label and that's the best thing you can do. Culturally. Anything you do to dry that soil out a little more, don't over water, improve drainage whatever that also helps. It helps keep it from proliferating so much while you're trying to spray it. Okay, I'm gonna have to run John, I've got I've got a hard break here. Appreciate, appreciate your call. Our number is seven one three two one two ktr H. I'll be right back and we'll talk to Ron. Have you with us, Glad you're listening in today. We're going to go to the phones now and talk to Ron. Hello, Ron, welcome to guard Line.
Speaker 28: Good morning. I have the cure for the gentleman that has the leaf cutter ant problem, and I have found a way to thick that.
Speaker 3: Well, that's good. How many sticks of dynamite? How many sticks of dynamite do you use?
Speaker 13: Yeah?
Speaker 28: It is as much as I would like to feed that side of me that likes to shoot and blow up things. You don't have to.
Speaker 3: Do that, okay, all right, Ron? What works for you?
Speaker 28: Ortho makes a concentrated termite killer ide a little bottle. I think it makes about five gallons. It only takes about a gallon per hole when you can find, you know, follow the trail, Mix it a little strong, and just pour one gallon down the hole and in twenty four hours they will all be dead.
Speaker 3: All right, Well, I'll tell you what I have to say this as a disclaimer because you're going out over the air. If a product, if a pest is not listed on a label, I can't recommend it, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 28: Uh, like what you said, though, they're they're not like regular ants. They know they won't eat bait. They make their own food, and so you got to get another way of getting them. But it works.
Speaker 3: So yeah, Well that Concox I was telling him about was actually a mixture of two baits that for some reason, putting them together it seems to work. But hey, I appreciate that. I want to look into that, so you finite information on that. I appreciate you calling in. Have a good weekend. By the way, where are you located? Ron? What part of the city? I think I lost him? All right, all right, folks, Well, uh, here we are on guardline talking about all kinds of things. And I was telling you earlier that fall is a good time of plant strawberries. It really is. Uh. I have been telling you about an event. I'm gonna tell you once more today, I think. And it's the second annual Strawberry Jemburee. It's down in Lake Jackson, Texas at the Lake Jackson Rec Center that's on Lake Drive and Lake Jackson. The Brazoria County Extension Office is putting on a program called the Strawberry Jemburey. It's the second time they did it. I went last year's outstanding program. This one again September twenty first, from eight am to twelve noon. Now, did you know strawberry should be planted in October? That is prime time. I mean you can plan them in September, but prime time for planning is in October. Well, you can go out to this program. It is free. It is free and you can learn how to grow strawberries. They're going to have good speakers all morning. They are going to have exhibitors there. There's going to be a strawberry shortcake contest, so quit bragging about it, step up to the plate and prove it. Bring your strawberry shortcake. Gotta call them and make sure you get it entered. Here's the number nine seven nine eight six four fifteen fifty eight nine seven nine eight six four one five five eight, Or you can go to the Brazoria County Extension Office website and find out more about it. They're also going to have strawberry plugs to pre order and then they will come in and you'll come back to pick them up if you are interested in that, but at least get out there for that educational part of the program. It's going to be good again. Second Anniel Strawberry Jamboree, Lake Jackson Rec Center, Lake Drive, Lake Jackson, Texas by the Texas A and m Agrolife Extension Resoria County Extension Office. It's going to be a good time. Nine seven nine eight six four fifteen fifty eight. Strawberries are one of my favorite things.
Speaker 10: Do you know?
Speaker 3: I used to have a half acre strawberry patch up in Willis, Texas, north of Conroe. We had a great time doing that. There's a lot of work, but we had a good time doing that, and we always planted in the fall. That is the best time to plant strawberries so that if you're going to have success, go ahead and get them out in the our Our winters are mild here and if you put a little roe cover over them, they'll start. They'll start fruiting. Even in February with some mild temperatures you under the row cover protecting from frost, you will see some mobilooms start to form and then carry all the way up to May. You have some good production. Nothing like strawberries that are fresh and strawberries that are homegrown makes it easy to do. I got time for one quick call. If you don't delay and get in here at seven one three two one two k t rh woild be glad to help you in whatever way we can to have success. Remember that as we're entering this week, we've got today, Tomorrow and Monday that are going to be sunny. Make hay while the sunshines, prepare soil of the sunshines. I hope that if you have not already purchased soil mixes and composts, bed mix all that kind of stuff, that you will go ahead and get that done so that you can get those beds made. Because Wednesday and Thursday and Friday and Saturday. I don't I'm not a weatherman, but when I look at my apps, it's like, yeah, it's rainy from midweek on, you're not gonna be able to get the work done. And with planting season coming, it's always better to get those soils built first. Get whatever it takes. If you've got a heavy clay, put a few inches of shale down. The shale works very very well and It just is an excellent product for holding clay open for a long period of time, but you got to put several inches of it down to have the best success. Now. Compost is also good. It decomposes over time, kind of goes away, but a little bit of a chunky compost, maybe a bark based which at based kind of compost where they've ground some stuff up and decomposed it all the way, but it's still it's kind of chunky. That's a good bed mix. It's gonna last year a good while too. Good Drainage is important. When it rains here, it pours. You can always water. Bet you, I can't take it away, is what my old friend Alston Colston used to say. And what he meant was when soil is sagi wet, it soggy wet, and you got to wait till it dries out. So make sure you get those beds built during good weather, and good weather is today, in the next two days, let's get it done and then you'll be ready to go and have success. If you have not seen my schedules online, go to gardening with Skip dot com. Gardening with Skip dot Com. There you will find by lawn care schedule, which tells you mow, water, and fertilized information. I like to refer to it as a schedule of how to grow a lawn, and that includes fertilizer products which to use, organic and synthetic at the proper timing of each one through the year. And then there's the pest, Disease and wheat management schedule, which I refer to as the how to deal with things that want to mess up your lawn like diseases and insects and weeds, and it walks you through those. Again, organic and synthetic options are on there, and the timing very important. The timing. We're going to be doing fall fertilization here, starting really kind of at the end of September with some organic things, and then October is an important month for doing that too. If you're listening up in the northern part of the areas, even late September is even fine also for that. And then the weed control you got to get the pre emerging out before the weeds sprout, So October is a critical season to get those we control products down again, especially October. The earlier in October probably the better off you are on those For those of you further north. I know we have people all the way up to Huntsville and whatnot that are listening. So there you're looking at late September getting those things down because you put them down your watermen, and when a wheat seed tries to germinate, it destroys it, and so it's like playing baseball. That's my analogy for pre emergent wheat control. If you wait to swing until the balls and the catcher's mit, you're never going to hit a home run, right, So that's what we're talking about. If you wait until the weeds already up, most weed control products that are pre emergent will not control them most, and so get it down ahead of time. So when the soil temperature drops to the right temperature and the weeds try to germinate, you're ahead of the game and you got them taken under control. That's the principles about that. Also on the website, you're going to find information on controlling nut set. There's two publications on it and then there is a how to build a weed wiper publication it's free to print it out, and then there's a publication on the products to put on the weed wiper and that's not just for weed wiper information. That's for general weed control. So what do you do if you got witty weeds like poison iv or hackberry coming up in the fence line or peppervine? What if you've got bulb weeds like wild onion and while garlic and the lawn. What if you have grass seaweeds? What if you have sedges like nud sets. Each of those, I list the ingredients, the active ingredients that are most effective in going after those, and give you some examples of the for sale products that you find on garden center shelves, garden centers and Ace hardware stores, Southwest Fertilizers, feed stores. That's so take advantage of that website. It's all free. Can't beat that. Come see me. I'll be at the Home and Garden show here and just a little bit up in Conroe.
Speaker 22: Here's how easy it is to get the yard you just sid