Speaker 1: Oh all righty, welcome to the Minnesota Goodbye. I listened to a really interesting podcast yesterday when I was on the stair stepper over at Snap Fitness and was listen to one. It was about Siegfried and Roy. Let me see you I can find it because it was about because Roy was attacked by the tiger on stage in two thousand and three and well, you didn't die.
Speaker 2: It got like just maimed like soups maimed.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's called Wild Things and it is all about Uh. I want to see if it is I'm trying to figure out the name of it is Wild Things or if it's called The Pet Detective. I think it might be called The Pet Detective. Anyway, very interesting, all about what happened and nobody knows. But basically Roy was on stage with his tiger, and Siegfried and Roy were legendary show show magicians in Las Vegas, and they were there for years and years, and they were just so successful. And I saw their show many times. But they had live tigers and live lions and cheetahs and whatever, and you know, the animal rights people hated that. And but one day there was a white tiger and Roy was, you know, doing a trick with a white tiger, and the tiger batted at him, and so then Roy batted back or something. The tiger grabbed him.
Speaker 4: By the neck, yes, with like his mouth, yeah.
Speaker 1: And dragged him off stage. Now, you would think that's a lot of weight to care. The tiger's weigh about six hundred pounds.
Speaker 2: Tiger's weighed six hundred pounds.
Speaker 1: Six hundred pounds got and so he grabbed him by the next severed an artery. He started to bleed, had a stroke, then had another stroke, and it's just really interesting. They don't know what caused it, except they say that tigers can be trained, but never tamed. Yeah, And I thought that was really interesting. And they said it's amazing that it didn't happen sooner. And that was kind of the end of the hole. That was it never never recovered completely. And then I think sig freed. The blonde one died a few years ago. Anyway, that's one of the podcasts. That is another podcast you might want to check out. Okay, next one, let's get into it. I'm going to find a good one to start off with. All right, why not Jenny, Jenny, If you do get a chance to do angels landing. Do it, okay, that's what we talked about yesterday. It is a ridge in Utah where you climb up and it's a drop off on either side.
Speaker 4: It's in Zion National Park.
Speaker 1: I did it last fall. Was very nervous, but I felt in control and say for the most part, get cheap grippy gardening gloves and then it helps a lot. Also, go further up the West Room trail after angels landing scouts look out for even better views. You don't have to go far, just like a mile or so. Be in line for the first shuttle. You cannot drive a car to the trailhead Dave in the last year because I talked about I want to go to all these places, but they're so crowded. In the last two years we've been to Yosemite NP, I think is Rocky Mountin National Park, Mountaineer Olympic Call, Yellowstone, Grand Teeneton Channel Islands and GSNMP. I don't know what that is and we're headed to Death Valley soon. Crowds can be an issue, but to avoid them, go into the park before sunrise and leave the park around ten or eleven. Go relax and then head back to the park around five. You'd be amazed at some of the incredible areas you can have to yourself or with just a few others. We love grabbing a piece in the evening and headed back into the park to look for animals, go to overlook, etc.
Speaker 3: In the morning.
Speaker 1: We've done three am wake up times and hike with headlamps to get the trail to ourselves. That early of a time isn't necessary, but you really can't beat a mountain sunrise on a hiking trail. Happy travels. Thank you, Alisa or Alyssa, thank you very much. I will tell you that that is a very good piece of advice. When I did Pike's Peak, you can't even find a parking space after sunrise, and the parking spaces were filling up at four am when I went there. Seems good advice. Delete on that one so I won't accidentally read it again tomorrow. I wonder how many times I've done that.
Speaker 4: I don't think.
Speaker 5: I think Billy and I kind of look at each other if we think you're doing your reading this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, this is a very interesting one. Hello morning crew. I got a question and no my intention is not to infuriate listeners with the ever so tempting the world is too soft vitriol. Have the rules of censorship changed, I ask you, because you're obviously in the radio industry and probably have a well known blacklist of what can and cannot be said on the radio. I noticed this watching several YouTube video essays on YouTube where I work. I also notice on TikTok it's like people speak in code now. Murder or killing has become unliving. Yes, shooting has become pew pew, rape has become grape, or even just the emoji of grapes, et cetera. Or they'll completely blurt or silence words altogether. I've seen where a word a letter of a word is replaced by an asterisk. For example, porn or penis will the e or the vowel will become an asterisk. There are many other examples. These are just the ones that I've cataloged for the purpose of picking your brains. I get it, none of these words are particularly warm and fuzzy, But are they really in need of censorship? Because then later in the same video the person might say fuck or shit without beleeping that So in summary, has censorship changed now? Is it about becoming about monitoring the real themes that are unsavory rather than the old school pearl clutching swear words. Let me know what you think, Jamie.
Speaker 2: I think so I know what you're talking about, and I see that mostly on TikTok, and I do believe you do get censored if you say certain words on TikTok, and not necessarily that they will like take your video off, but like, I think the TikTok algorithm can track what like the captions say, which is why they edit the captions to say something like grape instead so that the algorithm won't tag them and then push their video out to less.
Speaker 1: People because there might be a you know, if you're going to say something like oh I am going to murder that pizza, well that would get censored out along with what would legitimately need to be censored out, like oh yeah, I have a plan to murder my mother in law, right, so I can see it. But I think that the sensitivity thing is what I wonder about, because the world is full of things that you cannot shelter yourself from. You know, you cannot shelter yourself from you know, like Murder on the Orient Express was a big movie back in the seventies. Does that mean that no movie should ever dial m for murder was just at one of the theaters.
Speaker 2: Out in town, Yelltrie, Yeah, it's I think it's. I don't think it's necessarily the like we need to censor the word murder to like save people who are, you know, triggered by it. I think what they're talking about seems very specifically, like via social media, so that your video doesn't get censored, like by the company as a whole.
Speaker 5: It'll be taken down. Yeah, Like literally, if you use the word rape, it can be taken down. So I really think that people are doing what they're doing so that their video doesn't get taken like murder to anyone who's triggered.
Speaker 1: If I said I'm gonna unlive Bailey, should I say I'm gonna murder kill or on a live.
Speaker 2: Base, I would prefer assassinate.
Speaker 4: I would like for.
Speaker 1: That you be important for me to assassinate you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna do it all right.
Speaker 1: Next one is also about angels landing, and well, we're gonna go into this a little bit. I listened to Minnesota Goodbye Jenny were talking about Angels Landing. My friend and I did this hike a couple of years ago. We did have to sign up for a lottery months in advance, and we luckily got passes, so I'm not sure what the odds are. It was extremely hot, and we definitely underestimated the amount of water we would need for what seemed like a shorter hike distance wise. It's likely cooler this time of the year out there, though.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I will say the majority of the hike is a long, steep, but well maintained dirt or Great Apple trail with a lot of switchback yep.
Speaker 4: I've seen pictures of it as.
Speaker 1: A pretty avid hike here it was the most I've ever done. Eventually, you come to a landing, which my friend and I actually thought was the end until we looked around and be and saw the actual scary part of the hike. This part starts less than a mile from the end, which was actually not as scary or as busy as I thought it was going to be. Overall, was one of the most incredible hikes I've ever done, and not as scary as it looks. The chains are well placed and sturdy. As long as you pay attention to footing and go slow, there shouldn't be an issue. If you can, I one hundred percent recommend doing it well. For two years later, people are still astonished that I did it, and it always makes for a good fun factor story. I touched a couple of photos and you know we're on the radio, so the photos are you know, they're they don't really they're beautiful. But yeah, thank you all for your great content every day. I appreciate that. Thank you, Taylor. That is right up your alley to go do something like that. I have no desire to do something where there's a drop off, So yeah.
Speaker 4: We'll see.
Speaker 5: Like I said, I don't have a lottery, so if they do day of or like the day before, you can figure out if you can get one in the day of.
Speaker 4: So that'll just be a luck of the draft. We do get that.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's move up to another email. This is from Stephanie. Stephanie is a regular contributor staff writer. You guys mentioned the TV show Doctor Otissey recently and I saw it Papa and Hulu. I immediately thought about Joshua Jackson, who stars in it looked exactly like George Clooney in the stock photos they show with him on the boat. Doctor Ottissey was the show I stumbled upon on Hulu the other day, and it's like Love Boat, but it is with doctors instead of passengers.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I felt the same exact way as this emailer because he did look just like George Klute.
Speaker 1: I think so yeah. Fun fact, he was part of the Mighty Ducks when they were filling in Minnesota. They lived in my same apartment complex, Vicksburg Village in Plymouth. On my fifth birthday, and this is thirty ish years ago, my parents had reserved the party room for my little birthday party. The whole Mighty Ducks crew was doing homeschooling in that room and didn't realize it was reserved. My parents had arrived to put up the decorations when they ran into them. Well, they ended up staying for some of the party, and then they hung out with our family a lot because my older cousin happened to be staying with us, who was their same age. We have home footage of them somewhere playing with us in the pool and hanging out with my older cousin I know everybody in Minnesota has some sort of weird connection to the Mighty Ducks, but I'm pretty sure not many people have home footage of them at their birthday party, or in the hotel pool with them, or playing with them. Thought I would share.
Speaker 4: That's cool.
Speaker 3: That is cool, isn't it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you can't like usually boast that. Oh I had the Mighty Ducks at my birthday party, No big deal. I didn't even have to hire them. They just showed up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is cool, all right. This one starts off with Vaunt and Bailey have been the best addition to the show. I've been a huge fan listening since I was in fifth grade with my mom. When you guys always know how to make a person smile, especially Bailey with her contagious laugh ll. Then they start the email Hello friends, Darien here just turned the Minnesota Goodbye podcast where that twat decided to call construction workers fucking lazy and threw me over the edge when I heard that. I've been in construction since I was eighteen. I am now twenty nine. Let me start by saying, I don't speak on an occupation. You don't have any idea about sit down here are the reasons I could be standing around number one waiting for the tools or concrete. Number two trying to get a game plan together. Three taking a little fifteen minute break since we worked twelve plus hours a day that she clearly knows nothing about. Four something could have went wrong and they can't keep working for many reasons. And I might just add you, Okay.
Speaker 5: Jenny, we had dead air for a second because I put a pause in for that, and Vontes do in a meeting, so he wasn't in.
Speaker 3: There to warn me vants in a meeting.
Speaker 5: He's sorry. Emily asked him, We're fine. Emily asked him to be a part of this, like Champlain High School something, and I said, since we had a replay, now.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, go do it.
Speaker 1: Well a little behind the scenes drama here, I saw Jenny jump like, whoa well.
Speaker 5: Leave Allswick is the queen of helping out everyone if there's dead air. She's like, just ju to the studio that has dead air, because we have behind the scenes or something in every studio that says dead air if somebody has dead air, and it works for all the stations. So yeah, that, yeah, I'm sure we're gonna get plenty of texts now, Okay.
Speaker 1: I'm not worried about it anyway, So that was I'm not going to edit that out of the podcast because it was just kind of an interesting behind the scenes. So anyway, they go on to say, basically, we might be waiting for another company to show up and they haven't shown up yet, and I think he's jokingly pissed. I'm going to assume Darien is a guy jokingly pissed because he says, I can go on and on, but I think I got my point across. Don't speak on an occupation. You don't would You're so fucking clueless that you pissed me off. And then he says, thank you, hope you have a beautiful night. So I think that Darian is trying to be idiots.
Speaker 4: Thanks guys, having a good one.
Speaker 1: I think he's trying to be funny. Yeah, kind of like Jannita funny.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: I do wonder. I think the only thing that I always wonder about with construction is when there's like a project that gets started and then it's just like no, you never see anyone there working on it, but there are cones up for months and months or years. What happened to that?
Speaker 4: Maybe Darien knows, like why is no one.
Speaker 2: Working on it? I feel like I want to finish a project before I start a new one. And it seems like sometimes the projects are started and then they start another one, and then they start another one and then never finish. Well, some really big ones.
Speaker 1: Well, I want to say, the big one, Bailey they've never finished is right by the best By building on four ninety four. They started that in.
Speaker 3: Eighteen twelve, eighteen twelve.
Speaker 1: Same year as the War twelve they started that on four ninety four or right by best Buy, the best by Corporate. Yeah, and since eighteen twelve there's been fucking barrels and fucking cones and fucking dairy and leaning on a fucking shovel the entire fucking time. Fuck off, Dari And now I hope I may just smile, because that was my intent there. But don't you agree that four ninety four has been under construction since eighteen twelve?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Probably next email, and this is from somebody who's listened to the show for a long time, but they don't write in very often. It is Sandy, we did cougar one oh one on the show a day or two ago, where we played a bunch of like, you know, late eighties early nineties music that the Cougars love to dance to when they go to the lookout and hold a Bacardi lamon in their hand and they've got their leopard skin, leopard print top on and they got the boobs out a little bit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the girls are with them, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Exactly, And so we're having fun with the word cougar, Sandy writes in says Hello Morning show. Cougar is not a specific age or age range is defined below. Cougar is the slame term for a woman who seeks for romantic or sexual relationships with significantly younger men. Oh okay, I didn't know that. As a woman of a certain age, I'm offended by what you are calling a cougar. I've always understood this to be older woman dating or married to a much younger man. My husband is only four years younger than me, but likes to tease me that I'm a cougar, and I say it's only four years, not ten. Thanks for all the dart lick and entertainment and Bailey's uncomfortable laugh is the best new thing to hit The Dave Ryan Show. Do you have an uncomfortable laugh?
Speaker 3: I think it was uncomfortable. Maybe it's just so, is it.
Speaker 1: When Jenny and I say something like jizz Because a little while ago I was playing at zero rescanc a commercial, yeah, and I said, oh my god, you wouldn't believe what zero Res pulled out on my carpet. And Jenny, because she's filthy, she was a jizz.
Speaker 4: And You're like, what the fuck is happening right now? I don't know, was I awkwardly laughing?
Speaker 3: Then?
Speaker 1: Well, the funny thing is you can be filthy sometimes too, but most of the time you are the uncomfortable girl. So of Genny you'll say like, oh, I go, there's jizz everywhere. Then Bailey would be like.
Speaker 2: I feel like I would think that more so if you said it, if Jenny said, I'd be like, ah, nice, And then if you said it, I'd be like, you disgusting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a double standard.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 5: I think it's hilarious that if anyone ever has any kind of white substance on them or around them, and people are filthy, they'll be like, it's jizz, when most of the time let's be honest.
Speaker 4: Jizz is like a clear liquid.
Speaker 5: It's not this like creamy, milky, cottage cheesy looking thing like I think of that because Vonn had something on his face.
Speaker 4: Yesterday and I was like, what do you got on there? Like I thought it was maybe lotion, And I don't know if I said it or he said it. He was like, jizz.
Speaker 5: I think he said it, and I was like, wow, okay, well that's what jizz looks like.
Speaker 1: But okay, should I tell my Julie story about the Ji's on her shirt? It's been a while since I've told it. Julie was chased his mom, and we were deeply in love, and she's dead now, so I'm not disparaging her memory. And I loved you and I miss her dearly. But when we were dating, we went to the video store and it was the middle of the afternoon, which I thought was a weird time for this to happen, but okay, So we were at the video store and I'm browsing the top rows of the videos and she's browsing just right in front of me, looking at the lower rows of the video. She's wearing a red polo shirt and had jizz all over the shoulder. And as a guy, you know you've gotten you know, guys get jis on different things, like their dashboard, mostly your ceilings, the.
Speaker 2: Cat with the cat no cattle walk by, and so anyway a guy will recognize dried jizz.
Speaker 1: And so I saw dried jizz on Julie's red shirt. It was unmistakable, and especially her reaction, which I never forgot. I'm like, what is that on your shirt?
Speaker 3: And she like immediately what what? What?
Speaker 1: And then she realized she started trying to brush it off. She's like, oh, that's that's milk, And I'm like, oh, yeah, I mean everybody gets milk on their shoes.
Speaker 4: Pancake batter?
Speaker 3: Oh no, no, no, no, where did I get that from? Not for me? And let me joke about it at one time.
Speaker 5: Maybe it was a joke, but I swow her excuse was it was pancake batter.
Speaker 1: So I was picturing Julie given some guy because we both cheated on each other. We both did given some guy a blow job earlier in the day, and then she didn't want him to finish, you know, here, so she had him finish over here, and this jizzed all over her shirt.
Speaker 2: See, she admitted guilt when she said, oh, it's milk. I would have just been like, what what's on my shirt? Oh my god? Like, oh, I just bought this at Goodwill and I didn't wash it, and of course this would happen.
Speaker 4: But that's always that's the barley. It was way too fancy for Goodwill.
Speaker 1: Oh well she yeah, she got a Porsche for her sixteenth birthday, wrecked it, and then her dad bought her another Porsche.
Speaker 2: Okay, so then she can't she can't say that she thrifted in.
Speaker 4: And that's the reason.
Speaker 2: But yeah, you're right here, because she said she knew what it was, and that's that's how you knew she was lying. I would have just been scared and be like, what is it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, exactly. Know soon by her reaction, I knew right away it was And so I always gave her shit about that, even up until the date, well not the day she died, but you know what, like up until the last years of her life, I'd bring it up.
Speaker 3: She's like, that was not, No, it's not. And I'm like, oh, you believe said that to her on the day that she died.
Speaker 1: Not the day as she took her dying breath, say you remember that game?
Speaker 3: Do you had jis on your Sugarbye?
Speaker 1: That's terrible day. All right, that's it for the Minnesota Goodbye. Send your emails Ryan Show at katiewb dot com