Speaker 1: The right quiet.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 1: Scam is back. Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Sax and Cakes in the.
Speaker 3: A APPA go with Proway.
Speaker 2: Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app.
Speaker 4: We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 5: Is there anything better than October? Keyk I don't think so, keik Hernandez a huge two run home run, Dodgers go deep three times, Walker Buehler stud Dodgers take Game three at the NLCS last night, eight to nothing to win over the New York Mets. It's Sax and Kates in the AM here on your home of show Otani and the Dodgers a five to seventy LA Sports do is that Dodgers take a two to one series lead. In this best is seven NLCS Dodgers on Deck begins at four o'clock this afternoon. First pitch Game number four from City Field is at five oh eight live from the Galpin Motors Broadcast Booth. Yoshinobu Yamamoto and Jose Cantana the pitching matchup in this game four to night. Next hour, David veasts Say will join us from New York City. Sean Green, former Dodger, will join us as well. Coming up this hour. Plenty of your phone calls at eight six six ninet eighty seven to two five seventy one. Lucky Dodger fan is gonna win an autograph Steve Sachs Dodger jersey and you're not eligible, Saxy. No, okay, no, well you are not eligible to win your own jersey. So well, I did have two people my my family reached out to me last night, one being my wife and asking if she could win the jersey since you were her favorite player. It's very awkward going home and having to ask here from my wife how Steve Sack's doing. I'm like that he's doing great. Why well, just curious to how he's doing. You know, you guys sounded great this morning and everything good. It's like, you know, I know you had his poster as a kid, but you know this is really enough is enough?
Speaker 1: I didn't know about that. Enough is enough? Thank you? Oh oh, come on, she's not eligible. I told her.
Speaker 5: Then my mother in law reached out and asked if she was eligible to win. I said, no, not eligible to win.
Speaker 1: That would you would? People would cry nepotism. I think absolutely cannot do that.
Speaker 5: This is a show on the up and up, and everything's on the tabina. Absolutely absolutely, So one lucky Dodger fan is gonna win that Steve Sacks autographed jersey. We're we gonna throw the Dodger hat as well, so you can walk around and wear your Dodger gear tomorrow on the show. A two hundred and fifty dollars gift card to the Dodger clubout store at the Universal City Walk, the official clubhouse in merchandise store of Anfi seventy La sports Kei k Hernandez Last Night with the home run Mister October Here in twenty twenty four, getting it done for the Dodgers Showyotani goes deep and it's kind of a cool video. If you see it on social media or if you watched it in the moment last night. As soon as Kik hit the home run, did the bat flip In the background of one of the camera shots is showe Heyotani on the on deck circle and show hey bat in hand, both hands up in the air. So excited for Key k Hernandez and to see show Hey Otani kind of show some excitement, to show some life, to show some of his personality, Saxy. He was in baseball purgatory and Anaheim for six years. We didn't see this at all. He was very quiet, very subdued. Spoke to the media once a series. He was kind of down in Orange County. Didn't really see a lot of it. Knew who he was, certainly of the great players in baseball. We're seeing his personality now come out, and his teammates love him. He loves his teammates. He has a smile on his face all the time. It's almost like a coming out party for show Heyo Tani. We knew who he was, we know the offense that he can provide, but man, it's great to see.
Speaker 1: This guy with a smile on his face. Yeah, and you know it's it's amazing to see how much he is unaffected. I mean, this guy is one of the most recognized people on the planet. He's certainly you know, over in Japan and in every place. Now baseball is becoming a global sport, and it's amazing to see how unaffected he really is. He's just like a big kid, you know, and he loves his teammates. Teammates love him. It's a wonderful world, you know, And I could be couldn't you just have that, you know, that that always smile on your face, that kind of that glow about it. I mean, seven hundred million will do a lot of that, you know what I mean, that's a pretty good deal.
Speaker 5: I like to think that he was miserable in Anaheim and and now he's so happy to be wearing Dodger blue and put on that Dodger uniform and be around this group of winners that he is now with the Dodgers, joining the group that's already been successful, already won a World Series for the most part, this core group, and joins them to help try to win a championship in twenty twenty four. I'm glad you brought up something. How recognizable is if you're not at a Dodger Stadium Dodger fans, and if you are, just look at the amount of Japanese media that is around covering show. Hey Otani, I'll give you a great example. On all off day for the workout of Dodger Stadium to the NLDS, we did the afternoon show out there with Petro some money, and we're doing the show on the field and walking around and you know, talking to players and you know, just doing the show from the field and show Yotani comes out of the dugout and it's like the world stopped. It's almost like they stop throwing VP and he comes out of the dugout to start stretching and throwing the outfield and.
Speaker 1: It's just clicklick click click, click click click.
Speaker 5: There's probably a dozen photographers and then another there's six cameras and then other you know, newspaper, online reporters writing and taking with videos with their cell phones. The amount of media coverage he gets from Japan alone will blow your mind. If you haven't seen it already, we hear about it, we talk about it. But once you see it, and then you throw on the American media and then when you get to a stage like the playoffs, it gets even bigger because you get the kind of fringe media, the news media, the morning shows, you know locally, they all of a sudden sent out a reporter. They're wearing these brand new Dodger jersey nacks like they're Dodger fans and they're not really not. You get all those people out there, it's amazing to see what he has to deal with.
Speaker 1: Steve. Yeah, and he just does it with the smile on his face. He does and you can't miss him. I mean he's big, dude, you know, he's six ' five. It's hard hard to miss show. Hey, but I was just thinking, can you imagine what it would be like if Tommy Lasorda were in his prime and him and and he had show he as one of his players. Can you imagine that combination? I mean, it would be it would be just a show those two by themselves. Yeah, those two together would be incredible. How do you think the Japanese media would would adapt to Tommy? Would they go to him for that SoundBite every day they say something funny? Yeah? They would embrace the heck out of him. Those those two together would be incredible and you know, Tommy knew how to work it. You know, Showy being as big as star as he is, Tommy could work that thing pretty good. But I mean it would be good for show heyo too, because Tommy had a great way of keeping people grounded, keeping it real, you know, caving that family atmosphere in the locker room and whatnot. But I'm sure he would just he would have loved him.
Speaker 5: You're telling me Tommy Lasorda liked to be around the cameras. He knewhen the cameras were.
Speaker 1: He kind of knew where they were at the time. And I remember one time in spring training he was he was giving us a a rendition, h kind of like an uh, you know, off the cuff rendition on how to steal bases. Tommy was telling us how to steal base and there was a special crew there. I don't know if it was who was who was, you know, leading the crew, but it was a big crew. And Tommy was telling us how to steal bases. And he said, and you cross over here, and you cross and at the same time that he's talking to all of us in front of us with trying to act like he was sincere about it. He's looking over to the side where all the cameras are, and he said, and now watch as I cross over my step and he's looking over to the side of the cameras. At the same time, We're like, you gotta be kidding me. This guy just works it. You know, he got knew where they were the whole time.
Speaker 5: He got it, he understood, and when the cameras are around, he absolutely knew it. Eighty six eighty seven, two five seventy The Dodgers a two to one series lead. I'm optimally optimistically caught. How would I I'm optimistic the Dodgers are gonna get it done in this series, Saxy. But again I'm cautious. Yeah, I'm cautiously optimistic. Yeah, on the Dodgers tonight.
Speaker 1: I remember times like this and I'm trying to put myself in and my spikes and what it was like and what my feelings were, you know, because I'm so in touch with my feelings, you know, and I was thinking about, you know, what it was, what it was like, what was my mentality was, what was I thinking? And I always tried to temper it, you know, Hey, look, you know we're up to one it's great. Put that in the bank. Now we got a big task ahead of a tonight with Kintana, and how am I going to approach him? Just like Moncey said, it just brings back a lot of memories. You know, you get some food in us. You must enjoy the moment because that's what it's all about. Go have a great time, enjoy it, and then get a good night's rest and start thinking about this next guy and really get into him. And I just love the whole approach of the Dodgers. They're professional, they're talented, they're enthusiastic, but man, they want it. I haven't seen a Dodger team won it this bad, I think, because so many times, you know, they've been close and they haven't done it. They got bounced last year in three games, and you know, they won it in twenty twenty. But some people think there's an asterisk there because oh, it was only you know, it wasn't a full season. I think that's a bunch of bs. It counts as much as it did any other time because all the rules were the same for everybody. But I think there would be something special about winning it. You know, this year, having Otani over et cetera. But I think I just since the team really really wants it bad, like you know, and that's sometimes hard to get what they you know, kind of a team that's got so much talent on it already, sure, you know, but they do. This team really wants it bad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's a fire in their belly across the board that is, You're right, we haven't seen in a few years, and you know, maybe coming up short as fuel that fire in their bellies. Some guys realizing maybe where they're also at in their careers, maybe they understand where a run could be coming to an end here in a Dodger uniform or in their baseball.
Speaker 1: Careers like Bueller.
Speaker 5: Yeah, absolutely so, soaking it up as much as they can and knowing this opportunity may not be there next year, may not be there ever again for them to win a World Series.
Speaker 1: So certainly making the most of all.
Speaker 5: We got a lot of Dodger fans that want to weigh in again this hour, giving away Steve Sacks autograph, Dodgers jersey. It is a thing of beauty and a Dodgers had Rick and Wittier. Welcome to Saxon Case and am On this Thursday morning.
Speaker 1: How you doing Rick?
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning guys.
Speaker 6: Morning is taking my call?
Speaker 7: Hi? Rick?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 3: Just want to just want to say a couple of things. Number one about Kee getting on this it's crazy. We're one hit away from Game two from being three to zero. Stay hockey, k stay hot.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 3: The other point I want to bring up is my buddy and that we have an in arranging group. For the last ten years, we talked about Dodgers right before October, and this year we decided to. We talked about it and we said about how our two strengths this year is are bullpen in our offense. At least that's what we thought. And now that we see that the starting pitching is starting to wake up, it's just only going to make this team even better and tough for me. And so it's interesting because the media had everybody making every other team except the Dodgers this season, and typically it's the other way around, and that wasn't the cases here. So it's really nice to see that things are working out in regards to the bullp in our offense. So I think our biggest strength and it's working out, and I hope that they continue on and Lastly, I just want to say is that I catch myself watching these Dodger games rooting for Dave Roberts, and obviously that's something that I think a lot of Dodger fans were against. And it's really nice to see that Roberts is putting everything together. It obviously helps to have a great bullpen. He's putting, he's he's coaching really really well right now. I'm super happy for him, and I really hope I know it's early, but I hope that he can get that chip that everybody's waiting for. So thanks for taking my calls, guys, I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: All right, there's a lot rick.
Speaker 5: He started off the call by saying something I think is worth repeating, and that is that this is a Dodger team that could very easily be up three to nothing. And I say that because they had opportunities in Game two, even though they fell behind six to nothing. On Monday at Dodger Stadium, that sixth inning was six to three game. Remember, bases loaded one out, Key Hernandez gets a base hit, it's a six ' five game. Maybe they tack on more. Heck, if he hits a home run, they take the lead and come back all the way from a six to nothing deficit and maybe win that game too. So yeah, they had their opportunities, and Kei k couldn't get that big hitting game two. He's right, they're a swing away Saxy. This thing being three to nothing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true. That's true. And you know, I think Rick from Whittier made a great point too when he talked about the strength of the starters. You know, this was a great outing last night from Walker. Yamamoto had a great outing his last time out too, So you are getting some elements of, you know, pushback because the Dodgers starters have gone out there and did some shoven of their own, and that is a welcome thing because you know, kind of the narrative out there, Oh, every game is going to turn into a bullpen game and you're gonna do that hasn't been the case. You've got really good starts out of these guys. So that's that's a big plus.
Speaker 5: Oscar and Baldwin Park. Next up here on Saxon Kate today, am how are you doing?
Speaker 1: Oscar?
Speaker 9: Good?
Speaker 10: Good when gentlemen, mister Saxond morning, Kate, Hey, bro I talked to you after game too. Man, that was the most pissed off I think I've ever heard you on the radio man. After Game two. You you hey, yeah, hey, But I told you hey give It was one game that let them respond and look what happened. Man, I'm very happy for the guys k monthcy H, will Smith.
Speaker 11: They got going.
Speaker 10: Will Smith got that big hit in the with the third or some of the second, and I think later that you motivate the guys at the top of the order. That's what they can't through at the end. And I think it was the best game they played so far in the postseason. They're looking good, man, and let's let's put this chokeout tonight and stap their neck on Friday and put them out of the misery.
Speaker 1: Love it, Oscar, love it.
Speaker 5: Thanks for the phone call, man, Yeah, I think tonight is gonna be big for Yamamoto to go out there and immediately put up zeros of them. But you know again, I was fired up on Tuesday as Monday, as he mentioned, I did postgame on Monday after Game two, postgame Dodger talking. The more and more I kept taking calls and talking about it, the more and more I was getting mad.
Speaker 1: And you were getting fired.
Speaker 5: I just I felt like it was a game they they threw away. It was a wasted game for the Dodgers in the way that you know, the approach didn't work with the bullpen game.
Speaker 1: I know, that's that's Game two. We moved on.
Speaker 5: But it's just now that they won Game three last night in the fashion they did, the fact that they almost had a chance to come back and win Game two and were a big hit away from not doing it in the sixth inning and in the eighth inning, and it happened to be Key Hernandez both times. Yeah, and he came back last night to get the home run.
Speaker 1: I love that. I just love the fact that he came back that very next game and delivered. Yeah, and look at all the guys on the on the team, you think, oh, you can point that guy out, that guy, that guy's great talent. Some guys on the on the other teams would look around and say, who's going to be the big star on this team in postseason?
Speaker 9: Key k A.
Speaker 1: He's kind of like not an everyday player. I mean really, he's got something special and he's doing it big time. So loving that. But you know, look the Dodgers. They're expecting to win this next this game tonight, of course, and they're gonna expect to win the next two and take this thing back home. But remember this, I don't think it's going to be a fast series. I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if they win the next two, but I in the beginning thought that this would go six games, because you got to give that other team the respect. They're they're a good team, they're a formidable opponent. They've been through the trenches just getting here. I mean, look how many teams they've steamrolled through and they barely got in. So they're they're kind of going on that you know, we're not supposed to be here anyway type of thing. But you know what, Uh, you got to take it just today and then worry about the rest of it later. You just got so much on your plate. Tonight.
Speaker 5: He is Steve sax I'm Tim Kats and Saxon Kates in the am here live in Local on a five to seventy LA Sports Dodgers a two to one series lead in this NLS. He has Game four coming up tonight from City Field, and of course we're you're a home of showy Otani and the Dodgers. Dodgers on Deck starts at four o'clock. First pitch at five oho eight, live from the Galfa Motors Broadcast Booth. Yoshinobu Yamamoto, Who's a cantana? The pitching matchup. David mats Our, Dodger insider, joins us. Coming up at forty five minutes. A little over an hour from now. Sean Green form Her, Dodger, former New York met He will join us. Get his thoughts on this series, the rivalry between the two, your phone calls next and the show Hey Otani effect. Yeah, some numbers just came in from Game five in the NLDS. How popular is Showytani? How much does he mean to the Dodgers and the game at baseball in October? And the numbers are pretty staggering. We'll give them to you your phone call Steve Sacks, Tim Kates and you on a Thursday morning. They should be with us on an FI seventy eight sports Sax and Kates in the am. They should being with us on this Thursday morning, October seventeenth. As you get up, get ready for work, take the kids to school, head to school yourself in the Milliard commute. We appreciate you keeping us with you here on AM five seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 1: Looking for the Dan Patrick Show.
Speaker 5: You can listen to Dan the Boys via the iHeartRadio app on AMFI seventy LA Sports. Of course, on the AM FI seventy LA Sports and the iHeartRadio app the show Hey, Otani Effect is real Saxy. Major League Baseball just put out a release The NLDS Game five rankings are out, and that was Yoshiyamamoto against you Darvish, Dodgers against the Padres Friday night out of Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 1: We knew it was a big game.
Speaker 5: Of course, right here on a FI seventy LA Sports, you hear all the games. Major League Baseball announced that Game five of the nl DS ranks now is the most watched MLB postseason game ever in the country of Japan.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 5: Thirteen million people watched that decisive Game five with Otani, Yamamoto and you Darvish all participating. When you add in the American viewers here state side of the United States along with the Japanese viewers, over twenty million people across the globe. We're watching Game five of the NLDS on a Friday night between the Dodgers in the San Diego Padres. It is the most watched MLB postseason game on record in the country of Japan.
Speaker 1: Hmm, that's wonderful.
Speaker 5: It's Game five of the nl DS. It's not even an NLCS or ALCS, and it's not even.
Speaker 1: The World Series. No, no, And you know that's that's such a big game over there. So you know, baseball is their national sport, and you know they've got the great television audiences over there just in their own right in their country. But now when you see it be coming in such a global sport, I mean, this was the intention to of baseball for quite some time to you know, expand the reach of baseball at a deeper level, and they're certainly doing it now. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Unbelievable to see the numbers. And it shouldn't be surprising when you got three Japanese stars and Darvish and Yamamoto and a I mean.
Speaker 1: Not just players, so you're talking about frontline great players. Yeah, that is yea.
Speaker 5: So it is unbelievable and I'm sure we'll see even more staggering numbers as the postseason continues. And hopefully that postseason is a Dodger World Series run. And they're up two games to one in this National League Championship Series after a win last night, walker Viewler four shutout innings, the Dodgers hit three home runs. Keiky Hernandez a two run blasts and then it was a three run bomb from Shohey O Tani and Maximunky also hit a ball deep there into right field at City Field.
Speaker 1: Continue on the.
Speaker 5: Phones, thanks for being patient, Armando in West Hills. Your next up here on Saxon Kates in the morning. How you doing, Armando?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 12: Here are you guys? Steve. I came on the radio last week on your show, and you know, I was talking about how that decision was made by Roberts of bringing in Pahez over KK at third when Miguel Rojas got injured. And then I say, you know why not Kek has been consistent in October, and I mean, it's it's paying off, right and seeing him in the lineup every day now, it's it's incredible to see how basically that that philosophy has has turned out to be true. And then also I just want to talk about show Hey real quick in that leadoff, leadoff spot or wherever he's in the lineup. He's over twenty one this postseason runners on base, oh for twenty two now, and with runners either on base or in scorting position, he's like six for eight or something crazy like that with a homer in three whiles whatever that crazy seven for nine. I got to get updated on my stats, guys. So yeah, I mean it's crazy to see uh where show he is when when runners are on base or not on base, And I just want to get your thoughts. Call me crazy, but is it worth moving show Hey in the lineup or do the Dodgers just keep.
Speaker 6: It as is?
Speaker 5: Call you crazy, Armando? Okay, yeah, you said, go ahead and call me crazy. I'm calling you crazy. Appreciate the folk call. And I say that jokingly. Yeah, they're they're not moving show Hey out of the top spot.
Speaker 1: No they're not. I mean, you know, this guy produced uh ridiculous numbers.
Speaker 9: He's the m v P.
Speaker 1: He was thriving there all year. You're not moving him just because of a glitch here or there or in a game or two. No way, and you know what, you live and die with it. That's that's the way it goes. You don't change that thing up. Imagine if he changed that thing up and show hey had four punch outs or something like that, Oh my god, what are you doing? And rightfully so, you know, this game doesn't go like that. It's like even a great stock, you know, look at n video stock. It has it has pullbacks at times, but the general trend is upward. That's kind of what it's like in a baseball career. I hear people talking to me, you know that aren't around the game all the time. They said, hell, he struck out. Yeah, yeah, that happens. It's part of the deal, you know. In a little deeper level than that, sometimes you have games, you know, that are glumped together that they call a slump or whatever. That it's a bit of a pullback. It's part of the game. It happens. It's too hard to play. You don't just shoot straight to the moon in baseball. Nobody does. Ted Williams didn't do it, William Mays didn't do it. William McCovey or any of those great players, Hank Aaron, none of them did it. You know, it's it's too hard to play.
Speaker 5: It is interesting, though, you would have to admit a guy seven for nine with runners in scoring position, but oh for twenty two in the postseason, Yeah, when there's nobody on.
Speaker 1: That to me is, yeah, I don't think that's coincs. I don't know if it's coincidence or not. Is No, it's it's not a coincidence. It's it's absolutely the case when there's people on base, they have to pitch to him. And that's I'm not as shocked about that number, the seven for nine as I am more about the over twenty two or twenty three. Because the way that this guy can hit, and the way that he can run and legout hits that that aren't hit that well and whatnot, you figure that there'd be a few of those in there, and over the course of the year it will happen. But I'm I'm a bit more you know, taken aback by the fact that he has such a drought with the way that he can hit, and some of that is is lent to the fact that he does strike out, you know sometimes, and you know, so it's a that's more of a strange thing for me, though, to go over twenty three.
Speaker 5: Miguel in La is next up here on Saxon Kates and the am here on AMPI seventy LA Sports Dodgers a two to one series lead in this NLC has Miguel good morning.
Speaker 6: Hey, good morning guys. How you guys doing good man, Miguel, that was that was that was such as I got to sleep really well last night after this dodge of victory. I'm I mean, such a full team, like the big pitches in the big moments. I mean, like you have trying to come in. This guy's pitches are so filthy right now. Struck out the Francisco Lindor on three pitches, swinging miss on all three Brangier bases, loaded double play. I mean, I'm a big Will Smith fan, and this guy's catching, like I know he's hitting. He finally got a hit, and it was like a big moment to finally see him get a good hit yesterday, but to see him catch these shout out games this guy did, there's a lot of credit. I mean, Will Smith is so key for the Dodgers right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Miguel, appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I think I'll put up with the the two for whatever he was in the postseason and then last night finally breaking through with the two for four performance. I think I'll deal with that as much as it pains me, because we expect more offense out of Will Smith. But if he continues to be the defensive catcher and getting the praise and accolades that he is from Walker Buell or everybody else who is talking about how what a great job he's doing out there calling games, dictating the pitches, and really keeping the flow out there for these starting pitches and the bullpen, I mean, I guess I'll put up with this accue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And you know, the good thing about it. A couple of things about this is Will Smith can be carried, you know, by his team, because he's gone such a prolific offensive club that you can carry some downtimes with him. It's expected. He's a great receiver, he can catch and throw well. He catches the pitching staff and works with those guys as another general on that field, if you will. He's an extension of the bench and he's got it together as far as that goes. I think offensively, from what I see with Will Smith, it's pretty basic. He's expanded his zone quite a bit. You saw him foul off some pitches that he didn't need to that were you know, sometimes a foot out of the zone. And so I think if he just tightens that thing up a bit and lots of times that's easier said than done. But I think he's gonna be okay. I don't think there's anything drastic wrong with him. You know, sometimes you have a bit of a down year off defensively, but you know, he can turn this thing around. It's a good hitter. He's got popping the bat like crazy. I mean for his size, he's got some amazing strength and able to hit the ball, you know, a long way. So I'm not really worried about his offense. I think it's going to come back.
Speaker 5: Antonio and Fullerton is next up here on Saxon Kate toonay Am on this Thursday morning. Hi Antonio, who, Good morning Dodger fans.
Speaker 9: How we doing morning? I hope everyone slept well. Their coffee is extra charge this morning. Feeling really great about this this team. We just deliver. It's got to keep going forward and continue to get these ws, no.
Speaker 1: Doubt about it.
Speaker 13: YEP.
Speaker 5: Appreciating Antonio eight sixty six ninety seven five seventy.
Speaker 1: Mike and long Beach next.
Speaker 5: Up here on a five seventy on a sports Mike, Good morning, how you doing, Good.
Speaker 14: Morning, gentlemen. Let me cut right to the chase here. Yeah, we're not changing the lineup. Give me a break, tony fifty five to fifty five during the season batting first. Okay, now, let's talk about the real reason why the Dodgers won yesterday was the lack of defense for the Mets versus the Dodgers making the plays. Defense wins championship. Sebarino could not field two comebackers to him in the same inning. One of them went for a single. He would have had monthly dead to ride at home. The other one could have been a double play. Meanwhile, on the flip side, you got Freeman scooping balls in between hops a clinic at first base. If the Dodgers make the plays and the Mets keeps up with that shotty defense, it's going to be a short series. They need to step it up on defense. You don't want to give the team like the Dodgers multiple chances, multiple extra chances. They will kill you every single time.
Speaker 12: Thanks guys, All right, thanks a lot, Mike.
Speaker 5: Speaking of defense, actually we mentioned it earlier. Freddy Freeman should be a Gold Glove winning first baseman this year. The double play ball that Ryan Brasier got to get out on the inning to Moncy to Lux to Freeman and lucks one hopped Freddie Freeman over at first trying to get a quick throw off. Because the runner down the line. Freddie Freeman doesn't make that pick, the door is still open for the New York Mets to possibly walk through that door and make it a tighter game. Gonna run on the board. Who knows what happens in that sixth inning, But that was a huge defensive play. The Mets made some not so good defensive plays last night, and it opened the door for the Dodgers in the second inning, Freddie Freeman and he just goes unlood this what bothers me? It just goes unlooked like, Oh, Freddy Freeman's supposed to make that pick. Yes, Freddie Freeman was supposed to backhand that ball every single time and make it look as easy and effortless as he does. That's a hard play to make. He saved Lux's butt and it got the Dodgers out of the inning.
Speaker 1: He does it all the time, I mean, and we just kind of take it for granted, and I wish Freddy Freeman would win the goal Glove because man, it's just such an intricate part of this defense. I think first base is way underrated as far as defense goes. How many times have you seen a play made where you know, he hit to the infield that's brought in, he throw home and they throw it like way away, you know, like I was doing an eighty three, like not even close. And Freddy Freeman. I was gonna mention his throwing arm when I was coaching for the d Backs that one year at first base, Freddy Freeman in the sea when he was with the Braves, who's there, they're shortstop? That had a crazy good throwing arm. It was a great fielder his name, and he wasn't who's that call? No, he went to the Angels and play too. And I'm trying to remember his anyway, one of the best throwing arms at shorts up. Freddy Freeman him would throw the ball back and forth together in between innings and Seedy Simmons Andreton Simmons, and Freddy's arm was as good as his. I mean he was throwing lasers back to first base. I mean, like with a hop on it about three feet off the ground and taking this dude just got a crazy good arm. So I think number one that the defense at first base in baseball today is underrated, and Freddie is vastly underrated for what he does at first base.
Speaker 5: You know how many gold gloves Freddy Freeman has won in his career. One?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's that's that's absurd. He's so good over there. One. And he's doing it on one leg right now too, Tim, Yeah, I mean, I mean that's uh, that's no, that's no fluff over there, what he's going through. And you know how important is the base of anything you do, especially in sports and hitting and fielding. It's all about that base, and he only has half of it, and he's still doing this. He's still getting hits, he's still a force in the lineup, and he's picking it over there at first base, like like nobody's full.
Speaker 5: Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven two, five seventy one is next up here on Saxon Kates in the am here on a five seventy How you doing one.
Speaker 11: Good morning? How you doing good?
Speaker 1: Good good?
Speaker 11: So I was talking to my wife the other night, so I was born in nineteen eighty seven, and they won it all in nineteen eighty eight, so I would just dog turning. My son was born this year, and then he's gonna be a year.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 10: He was born last year, so he's gonna be a year this year.
Speaker 11: And now I'm gonna man, history's gonna repeat itself. We winning it all this year.
Speaker 5: Let's go Dodgers, all right, one, he's got folk calls. Yeah, he's uh, he's figured it out. He was born a year later. You guys went in eighty eight. His son was born last year, and yeah, the Dodgers is gonna win here in twenty twenty four. Jake and Burbank next up here in Sax and Kate in the am. How you doing, Jake.
Speaker 13: Yeah, it's on the other end of the spectrum here. I know it's probably surprise, but I'm a Mets fan all the way from New York living out in Burbank. I was actually born in the day they won the World Series in sixty nine, so I have an attachment kind of like your last caller. But I'm really curious to know what you thought. I thought the Mets made a terrible strategic move by throwing senor who they knew wouldn't throw a lot of innings and basically ending up with a bullpen game in Game one when Manaia would have been on regular rest. And I think the Mets are going to pay for it throughout this series.
Speaker 5: It's a It's certainly a question they're going to be talking about a lot in New York in sports talk radio all off season if the Mets end up losing this series to the Dodgers, no doubt about it. To have single go out and flame out as the way he did in Game one, and then to see what Manaia did in Game two, if you would have reversed them, who knows, Maybe they steal Game one from the Dodgers and it's not a blowout went it's a pitcher's duel, betray Manaia and Flaherty and we're talking about a different series.
Speaker 1: You could have said the same thing about Yamamoto and when he came back and gave us five strong innings, you know. So I don't know. I mean, basically, the hindsight is twenty twenty, and he did, and he flamed out early. I just didn't see it out of the gate. I don't know, you know what they were seeing on their side, but out of the gate, I didn't see I didn't see that snap and the crisp pitch from Singa. So it wentn't good for the Dodgers.
Speaker 5: Though, absolutely damn And they gave the ball to a guy in a game one of the NLD nlcs who has pitched in two games all season, one of them mid season, got hurt again, had one start in the postseason, not very long, and gets to start in Game one over everybody else. Hey, that's the decision that they decided to go with. And the Dodgers capitalized with a Game one win, and now they got a two to one series win, a lead here in this best of seven series. We'll take a break, we'll come back, get to more of your phone calls. David Vesse joins us. Next hour. Sean Green, former Dodger, former met will join us talk about this series, talk about this rivalry between New York and LA Plenty of time for your phone calls as well, and a Steve Sacks autographed jersey for one lucky Dodger fan eight sixty six ninet eighty seven two five seventy.
Speaker 1: He is Steve Sacks.
Speaker 5: I am Tim Kates, and you're listening to the Home of the Dodgers ANFI seventy la Sports, Sax and Kates in the am on this Thursday morning. Thanks for joining us as you make your way to work, school, sitting in trafficing on the commute, wherever you're headed. We appreciate you taking us with you on a FI seventy la Sports. Steve Sacks, Tim Kates. Game four of the NLCS is coming up tonight. Dodgers a two to one series lead after an eight to nothing shutout over the Mets last night at City Field. Dodgers on deck. We'll get it all started at four pm. First pitch at five to eight from the gallupin Motors Broadcast Booth, Yoshanova, Yamamoto and Jose Cantana the pitching matchup. We'll dive deeper into that coming up in just a little bit. David Vassa will join us after the top of the hour live from New York City. Sean Green for where Dodger will join us as well around eight thirty this morning. We'll get Steve's keys to a Game four win. He's been spot on so far this postseason. Will it continue. We'll find out in about an hour from now. Daniel and Anaheim. Daniel, thanks for joining us here on an five seventy.
Speaker 15: HOWI doing and I'm doing great? Another big Dodger win last night, hoping for another one tonight. I just wanted to come in. I know a lot of people are saying, hey, move Otani down the lineup to get people in front of him. But who what other team has the other pitcher on edge pitching to the seven, eight, nine hitter because they know if I put one of these guys on, I gotta face Otawny and probably give up another donger or something like that. So keep him where he is, let him keep rolling, and then shout out to Will Smith. I think that's gonna be a big getting on base there off the glove of Severino last night. I think that's going to turn him around. He's going to get a couple knocks tonight and another Dodger win.
Speaker 1: O dubt about it, Daniel. Did you grow up watching Steve Sacks at all?
Speaker 5: Uh?
Speaker 15: I was born in eighty five, so I was three when they won. My dad was actually at the Gibson game, so that was I got to hear a lot of stories about that. But other than that, I was I think it was a little too little to see Steve set But I love you guys on the morning. Love you guys talking more baseball in the morning.
Speaker 1: Baseballs old right now, Daniel.
Speaker 15: No, I'm twenty, I'm thirty nine.
Speaker 5: I'll just kidd it, all right, Daniel Shade, thanks for checking in at eight six six eighty seven, two five seventy. Eddie and Ontario was next up. You're on a five seventy Eddie.
Speaker 7: Hey, hey, morning guy.
Speaker 1: How you doing doing great? How about you? Eddie?
Speaker 11: Hi, I'm pretty good.
Speaker 4: I call it.
Speaker 11: Say Heisty Sacks my idol, grin up, I've got a die a.
Speaker 3: Post review Dodger kid, I'm play your eight tbate too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and they want to say hi and gluck. All right, Eddie, appreciate it. Eddie.
Speaker 5: I wish you had a little bit more to say, because we would have given you the jersey, Eddie, But you know, you just fan boyd it out right there with Steve Sacks a little a little uncomfortable for all of us.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was a little it's got a little I had a little little reset right here.
Speaker 5: But anyway, let's go to Omar the four oh five. He's taking it with us on his commute. Thank you, Omar, Are you.
Speaker 1: Doing hey man?
Speaker 7: Good good morning guys. I actually had a question for sex as a as a somebody that grew up in the game and I was the hitter. Like with Show Hate Going Oh for twenty two, I think you guys said, are twenty one with nobody on base? Do you approach the game differently? Because in your mind, I'm pretty sure he realizes that he is not hitting with nobody on base, and he's not seeing the pitches that you normally would see and them having the pitch to him when guys are on base. Would your approach me different or you know, ask somebody that has a wealth of knowledge in the game. Would you give him any you know inside? Or would you say, hey man, just keep doing what you're doing because at the time, you're doing what needs to be done with runner on the base basis.
Speaker 1: Thank thanks Omar, and I hey a great point. Would you do something different? Well, he doesn't need any advice from me, that's for sure. But the only thing that I would do is, I, you know, we have a tendency when there's nobody on base to kind of expand his zone a little bit, because you you know, you're trying to make contact. This is a very very lethal hitter, and he can make a mistake on a ball that he hits and still hit it out of the park. So that the fact that he gets tempted uh to kind of expand a little bit totally. I get it. I mean happens with with all those guys that have that kind of crazy power, but with with guys on base, he realizes they're going to have to pitch to him, maybe take a little bit of that philosophy and tighten it up a little bit the best you can when you don't have anybody on base. But the look, he doesn't get the same pitches when nobody's on base. They don't challenge show Heyo Tani. The only the only time he's going to get a chance to hit with nobody on base is when they make a mistake, and that's what he has to look for. Otherwise they're gonna try to They're gonna try to pitch him on the fringes of the plate, not challenge him in any meaty parts of the plate. But so it's it's tough sledding for him to get a really good pitch to hit. And by the way, on that previous caller to him, when you mentioned, you know, yeah it got weird.
Speaker 5: Yeah it did, it did. It was very uncomfortable for everybody in the room, very uncomfortable.
Speaker 1: It got weird. Alright, those listening were probably uncomfortable.
Speaker 11: K K and l A.
Speaker 5: Welcome to SAX and Kate's and am Kay, Hi hat it going doing fantastic? How are you this morning?
Speaker 1: Kay?
Speaker 8: I'm doing well, So I'm gonna bring in a little bit of basketball for you. We know that Lebron is probably retiring on his way out, so what would it take for Otani to become the La gate La Goat? And then I was just wondering. I don't know if you talked about it earlier in the show, but it looked like he got injured. I couldn't see what happened like it seemed like it hit his seemed like it hit his chest or something. But I was just wondering if you could say what happened to that?
Speaker 9: Kay?
Speaker 1: Did you grow up a Steve Sacks fan? Were you too young? You sound you.
Speaker 8: No, I'm new to the show, so I turned it on and wanted to hear all the postgame like commentary. So I'm so excited to see you guys and like be introduced and that that previous color was very awkward.
Speaker 5: It was very awkward. Okay, we're not going to make this awkward. You sound like you're a Steve Sax fan. Congratulations, you got an autograph Steve Sacks Dodgers jersey coming your way. Thanks for listening. You just you and Dan. You just became a part of the show. We appreciate that. Are you gonna be continuing to listen to a five seventy?
Speaker 1: Come on all right?
Speaker 5: Congratulations, k we got you for sure. We'll put you on hole gets you all your information. Congratulations to k in l A. See, it pays to be a Dodger fan. You tune in, you want to talk a little postseason baseball, you get to talk to Steve Sacks, You get to to win a jersey as well, signed by Saxy song Yeah and show.
Speaker 1: Hey, he did punish himself in that at bat, right, he did when he gets hit in the in the shoe right kind of like on the on the toe on the outer part, and then he gets hit in the junk.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's that's like the solar plexus, as we say in w W E.
Speaker 1: I don't think so so, I mean, and he's such a nice guy. He's like embarrassed, like, oh my god.
Speaker 5: He starts playing to his hip right, like'sn't there they say, we have a slow motion bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, song word hits you, we know, right, word hits you. I mean, I mean, I mean, I don't know how he would say that in HAP And he's like, I got hit in the wiener.
Speaker 10: I don't know.
Speaker 1: But it's such a I mean, it's such a terrible thing. Hey, my brother got hit there once on a when he was catching right after a rain delay and the field was soaked and the guy was throwing ninety six with with with some with a you know, like a two seamer, and that thing hit the plate when they resumed play and hit him right in the cup ninety six with a skip off the plate. Can you imagine that. Oh, they had to bring the ambulance on the field stop he was throwing up. He passed out completely. They brought the ambulance on the field and had to escort him and me take him to the hospital. This is in triple A take him to the hospital. On the way to the hospital, the AMT says, I want to ask you. I got to ask you if you've already had your kids? No, because oh yeah, it was the worst ever. He said, the worst pain of his life and completely passed out from the pain. Can you catch that kind of pain? Oh? Whoa, that's something I really want to think about on a Thursday morning. But no, but why we're talking about? Yeah, Foulling went off the you know that's that's problematic.
Speaker 5: Wow, yeah, show hey, stop pointing to your hip, dude, Yeah, you get hitting the hip.
Speaker 1: He's such a nice guy. He's like, oh my god, I can't say where it hit me.
Speaker 5: They were booting him when he got hit on the toe because it kind of hit his toe, kind of didn't hit his toe really hit you.
Speaker 1: Come on, Yeah, Then the next one he hits it off is junk. I mean, that's gotta be tough. Oh well, then he hit it out later. That's for the Dodgers. That is a tough dude. Yeah, oh for sure.
Speaker 5: Eight sixty six, nine eighty seven, two five seventy Your phone calls coming up, Sean Green, coming up, David Vatse coming up. Two hours down, one to go. It's Sax and Kates and am here on a FI seventy l A Sports